4.5

1. 71M
    Oct 10, 2012
    This is the most fun I've had with a Kinect game period! Playing the entire game seated was a pleasure and a stroke of genius so well done Lionhead for pushing the boundaries.

I'm a big FAble fan and the story kept me gripped to my TV and with great pace of play.

If you don't have the Kinect you're really missing out on a brilliant game experience!
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    As the game is NOT released for Two days I would ignore the user reviews here.

The demo is up on xbox live, though it's nothing more than a control tutorial of the game it gives you an idea. of the nice graphics and good use of the Kinect in the game.
  3. Oct 11, 2012
    I was sceptic at first, but when I learned that I could physically cast magic at enemies I felt I really had to give a go -- and it turned out that it really worked for me and I found myself enjoying it very much!!
    This seated play also is a great thing... Most of the other Kinect games require me a huge effort to stand up and work out, which has been a turn-off for me especially after
    coming back from work exhausted. But I can play this game while sitting and relaxed and I can play for long without being covered with sweat like other Kinect games!
    The game experience is nicely and gently presented and works as a whole, unlike a collection of mini games that other Kinect games tend to be.
    If you've already own Kinect like me, I would definitely recommend this game. Even you don't, I would still recommend it :) It is quite an experience.
  4. Dec 23, 2012
    Since I did not have a Kinect before I purchased this game, I wanted to be sure that the game was worth the 100$ for the apparatus itself (plus the 30$ for the game). I love all the Fable titles, but considering that this game is a Kinect exclusive, I did research before investing. I watched about 45 mins of gameplay and decided I would take the plunge. I was absolutely not disappointed. No, this is not a typical Fable game. Yes, you can only play as a mage. No, there are no towns or open-world quests. Yes, there are RPG elements with regard to upgrading your horse's abilities, your spells, and your stats. Yes, certain segments of the game are on a rail, but this game- not once- is ever tedious or boring. The storytelling is fabulous and links all the previous games to make what really is a 15-hour epilogue of the entire trilogy, at the end of which you feel as though you have really accomplished something. The attachment you gain with your horse, the new parts of Albion, and all the characters in the game in general are as irreplaceable as the gameplay. I didn't think I was going to do well at the no-controller controls, but after about 20 mins of driving the cart and learning how to use the spells, I was enjoying myself immensely. Was the game worth the 130$ I paid to play it (without giving away spoilers)? Absolutely, especially when you consider how many games there are that are 80$ asking price for about 1/4th of the fun. Is it challenging? Yes, it is, and not in a frustrating way. Would I recommend it for people who don't like motion games? Yes, I would. Would I recommend it to Fable fans? Yes, I do, but don't expect another Fable 3; expect a different style game that simply takes place in Albion and cleans up all the questions left over from the third game. I also enjoyed the tie-ins with Fable Heroes, which only added to the game's charms and replayability. Arcade Mode makes sure you get that exploration craving squelched, and all the new spells and aftertouches, the humorous dialogue, and unique setting serve to fill up the blank in RPGs around this year. If there were such a category as rail-RPG, this would certainly be the pinnacle. I can understand why many would not want to buy a Kinect just for this- it is expensive, and for those who cannot make the investment, I hope there will be a compatible version soon (even I would want that just to see how the gameplay would differ), but I found the venture more than worth it. Overall, a really satisfying and unique experience. The best game for the Kinect, to be sure. Collapse
  5. Jul 13, 2013
    Fable: The Journey, is the most underrated game of of the past year. It has an amazing plot, a unique combat system, and extremely lovable characters. In short, it is everything I wanted from Fable 3 (but didn't get). While it does suffer from some Kinect motion sensing flaws, you can overcome these by taking a little extra time to tune your play environment. I used a chair instead of sitting on my couch and the controls worked perfectly fine (most of the time). This is a game no hardcore gamer should miss. Expand
  6. Dec 27, 2012
    While I was not expecting much out of this game when I bought it (I only bought it cause it was on sale for $15 dollars on black Friday) I was pleasantly surprised. Once you get the hang of the controls, they actually work very well if the environment is set up correctly, and if you ever start having issues it is easy to fix by simply re-calibrating the spell casting, which only takes a few minutes. At first, the spell casting is simple and enemies are easy to kill, however as the game goes on the combat gets much more complex and interesting due to the addition of new spells and enemies. When it comes to the story, I was also pleasantly surprised. It has to be noted however, it IS different than any other Fable game, so if you go in thinking you are going to have the same experience you will be disappointed. However, if you go in with an open mind and look at it as something different, it is quite enjoyable. The game is on rails, but at this point with Kinect games that has become unavoidable so I don't really knock it for that aspect. In actuality, the on rails and very linear approach actual aids the games story, because since it is on rails, the story has much more depth than previous installments. In addition, it fills in a lot of the holes between the previous games in the series, and give much more insight into Theresa and her story. In conclusion, as long as you go into the game without the expectation that it will be like every other Fable game, it is actually a very enjoyable experience. The controls mostly work well, and the few issues are not any big problem, and the story, however linear and on rails it is, is enticing and makes me want more Fable. Expand
  7. Apr 13, 2013
    I think this game is quite fun and interesting.The storyline is still very amazing and the graphics are nice.The best thing is about kinect, it's the first game where you can use it, the detection and working of kinect in this game is very good i could say.The bad thing is there is no free roam, but in the spite of that we have optional quest which saves it. The quest are short and fun. So that why i called this game "been there, done that". If you could think that riding on a horse is quite booring there isn't the character around you tells story, you collect many orbs with which you can upgrade your level and when you think that you will go into booring at the same time some guys show up and attack your cart.So overall i give it 10 especially for the nice kinect optimization, interesting storyline, and new gameplay. Expand
  8. Aug 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fable 4:, The Journey has great potential with the first person view (which is rarely sen in an RPG) combined with the motion controls atempting to put you in the game in a whole new way. I am a pretty big Fable Fan myself, and am not disappointed much at all. The only problem that I had with the game was the finicky controlls that came with the Kinect being the primary source of countrol. It is in my opinion an intuitive idea on the behalf of Lion Head Studios. I wouldn't mind seeing another release with this controlling layout, but with a controller option for those whom cannot get used to the Kinect (or find the sweet spot). That was the only true downfall to the gameplay, which needs improvement. Although I did not expect much less from such a bold move of controlls. Once I found the sweet spot I found that the spells were being cast where I was truely aiming roughly 95% of the time. The only time that it was a real pain is when I took a break because my arms began to cramp up a little, or my wife walked within the censor's view and it thought her hands were mine... Silly Kinect! The second thing that was a drastic change was that in this installment of the Fable series; I could not become a filthy rich property tycoon charging my tenants far too much rent! But, being a story focused indevidual I found it rather bold and there was some emotion. I enjoyed that there was no bad or good choices to be made they made me feel like a total softy/massive jerk in previous Fable games. You're always on the move in this game which is something I enjoyed very much. I couldn't stop playing, and beat the entire story in under 11 hours. (Having to eat and take the dogs out, I have to play the game called real life too of course). I was NOT expecting the game to end as it did, but never the less, I loved it! They have left it WIDE open for a brand new story.

For an impressive story, and intalling the emotions of sympathy, and guilt (mainly for the poor horse!) I applaud Lion Head Studios. This game is not for the impatient, whom are too stubborn to work with the touchy Kinect that, at times, has serious tempermenal issues. I would instead recommend this game to the true Fable fans whom play for the story, more than the action. Not to say this game is lacking in that department! Believe me, my dogs were looking at me rather odd when I was shouting when I had to rush my way out of a forest while a giant THING was bent on eating me (and my delicious soul) for dinner!

Fable: The Journey is certainly my favorite as far as the story line goes. The controlls took a bit to get used too, but even when my wife (not even close to being as much of a gamer as I am) got used to them, she was holding the virtual javalin of epicnes and cupping her hand to hold the scorching bal of fire. I even caught myself holding the reins (think I spelt that right) as if they were physicaly in my grasp!! My favorite Fable yet! Worth the money I spent, by far. Not sure why there are so many complaints, must be due to the drastic switch from controller to motion and third person to first person (excluding cut scenes of course). As I said, I found this to be a rather exciting game! Try it for yourself and keep in mind it's about the story!

Final conclusion: Great game, bold change (that I would hate to see wated and they end up going back to that third person camera that always gave me headaches), outstanding environment and a wonderful story! (that poor horse!!!) would be 10 if it werent for the story being so short.
  9. Dec 23, 2012

1. Dec 19, 2012
    For Kinect owners who love Fable, The Journey is a must buy and will likely result in many hours being spent traversing Albion, enjoying a charming story with interesting characters and likely finding a new love the Xbox 360 peripheral. If you're on the fence about whether or not you need another Kinect game or you're trying to find an excuse to purchase a Kinect, Fable: The Journey is by far one of the reasons to pick up this piece of kit.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    An ambitious attempt at making a simple but compelling game, hampered by a device that's not quite up for it. [Jan 2013, p.81]
    You can ignore the smoke and mirrors for a while, but there's just no substance. [Issue#91, p.64]