7.5

1. Dec 6, 2011
    I must first state that I am a big fan of Fallout: New Vegas and I own all of the DLC for it. Lonesome Road is the final DLC out of four, and ties up the story of the Courier. Gameplay (7/10): Don't expect much different from the Fallout Universe, it plays the same exactly the same as the other DLCs and the maingame so there is nothing different there. However, one would argue that youI must first state that I am a big fan of Fallout: New Vegas and I own all of the DLC for it. Lonesome Road is the final DLC out of four, and ties up the story of the Courier. Gameplay (7/10): Don't expect much different from the Fallout Universe, it plays the same exactly the same as the other DLCs and the maingame so there is nothing different there. However, one would argue that you shouldn't fix what isn't broken. The story of Lonesome Road is an impressive one indeed, and does a wonderful job of linking the Courier and Ulysses together. Having purchased all of the other DLCs before Lonesome Road, you do pick up slightly more information about Ulysses than you would simply playing Lonesome Road, but most of it is quirks and trivia. Simply playing Lonesome Road provides you with sufficient information to understand the plot with Ulysses and the Courier without needing prior backstory.

Graphics: (6/10): Of all the DLCs released for Fallout: New Vegas, Lonesome Road is the DLC that suffers the most from 'Sepia syndrome'. Pretty much everything you're going to see in this DLC is a shade of brown or grey. It adds to the overall dilapidated feel of The Divide, which in some ways works in it's favour, thus why I gave it a 7. However, if you're looking for a DLC with a bit more colour, leave this and head towards Old World Blues or Honest Hearts instead.

Sounds (8/10): I would argue that the sounds in Lonesome Road are perhaps it's best feature. The Divide is not a nice place to be, and the chilling silence and small noises here and there, combined with the dark landscape only work to give you the overall feeling that The Divide is hell on Earth. In this sense, Bethesda outdid themselves. This is the most chilling Fallout has ever sounded.

Multiplayer: N/A

Lasting value: (6/10): Unfortunately, like most DLCs within Fallout, once the main story has been completed and the side quests cleaned up, there is little in the way of continuation. During the main storyline of Lonesome Road, regardless of how lonely the overall DLC sounds, there is a constant feeling that you aren't alone. Ulysses, the other NPCs and enemies make the area feel like it's inhabited - infested, almost. However, once the DLC is finished, the Lonesome Road almost feels empty, like there's very little left to 'find', as it were. While the warheads do offer some continuation for those completions like me, past that you'll find little to hold out for here.

Final comments: The Lonesome Road is what it is: DLC that will continue and sum up the story of Fallout: New Vegas in a way that only Bethesda know how, and in that way it is brilliant in it's own right. However, just like so many DLCs not just in Fallout, but the world over, their longevity is short. Enjoyable, but unless you're a big Fallout fan, perhaps worth a miss.
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    Overall, this add on I would say is a huge disappointment. At first I liked the idea of the lonesome road, but the story is boring, and the game play is extremely difficult. So difficult I did not even enjoy the add on anymore. Pass on this one.
  3. Oct 3, 2011
    Well what can I say other than what a disappointment. The first thing I can say about this DLC is that its frustrating, boring, and not too rewarding. This game does deliver more fallout gameplay. Good or bad, i'm a sucker for it. The three things I appreciate in this DLC are again the 5 additional levels that by the time i'm complete my courier will feel more like a god than a mailman.Well what can I say other than what a disappointment. The first thing I can say about this DLC is that its frustrating, boring, and not too rewarding. This game does deliver more fallout gameplay. Good or bad, i'm a sucker for it. The three things I appreciate in this DLC are again the 5 additional levels that by the time i'm complete my courier will feel more like a god than a mailman. The additional weapons are also very cool, not a ton useful as I found myself using mostly my .50 cal, Tommy Gun, and Alien Blaster to plow through the hordes of annoying Tunnelers and Deathclaws. This game also brought forth ED-E or well a different one though, he was in the trailers. He is probably the most memorable character in the whole Fallout NV game, let alone the DLC. He spits out dialogue and boops and bleeps that strangely create a relationship. Ulysses is one annoying guy, the guy sounds like he has lung cancer and has a tremendous amount of dialogue that I have to bear through. This DLC is harder than Dead Money at certain parts. I played through Dead Money on Normal and only died 3 times, I played Lonesome road on Normal and have died close to 20 times. The developers also though hey lets piss on all of our fans and just throw handfuls of Deathclaws everywhere, not smart. The environments vary from boring walks on the "lonesome" highway, to interesting firefights in crashed skyscrapers, to wishy washy battles in bombed out towns. However i really felt at times that I was playing a poor version of Fallout 3 with an orange haze over everything. All in all the gameplay is there, its solid too. The story and new environments aren't. Sad to see this game go out on such a low note. Should have ended with Old World Blues. Guess we'll have to wait and see what's in store for us in the next Fallout, if there is one. 6/10 Collapse
  4. Sep 24, 2011
    I found this quite easy but it has the best storyline of all the DLC so I would recommend this to anybody who has played the main game as it ties up the loose ends nicely.
  5. Nov 14, 2011
    One of the best DLC's for Fallout New Vegas. The DLC adds a full games worth of content, it is also one of the most challenging DLC's I've played so far. Unlike the rest of the DLC's Lonesome Road is linear, but you can leave and come back at any time you want.

The new weapons are very good, and my only concern is the high cost of purchasing these weapons.
  6. Jun 21, 2012
    I end the Fallout New Vegas dlcs with Lonesome Road and just like Fallout 3, the last add on was the worst. Lonesome Road had a okay story line nothing like the other dlcs story line's. Very easy add on but leveled up 6 times in this dlc so that was. Very short like 1-2 hours long. Overall a very disappointment last on for Fallout New Vegas. Fallout New Vegas - Lonesome Road 6.4/10
  7. Mar 9, 2013
    So, I got to play this DLC out of Honest Hearts and Old World Blues, and since that Lonesome Road was supposedly the epic climax to all that we should know about the courier, I was immediately brought in to take the divide by storm. Unfortunately, it became more furiating than I thought so. Now, I finally got the whole post-apocalyptic feel that I missed from Fallout 3 out of thisSo, I got to play this DLC out of Honest Hearts and Old World Blues, and since that Lonesome Road was supposedly the epic climax to all that we should know about the courier, I was immediately brought in to take the divide by storm. Unfortunately, it became more furiating than I thought so. Now, I finally got the whole post-apocalyptic feel that I missed from Fallout 3 out of this particular DLC, but maybe too much this time. There is almost literally nothing left, full of death and toil and ruins all across a wasteland with "marked men" flooding it. And those marked men, god damn are they a handful. I wouldn't be so bothered with having more creeps ever so willingly try to dismantle me, but these guys really takes the cake for being otherwise too hard to deal with. Also, the Deathclaw's, while not being anything more unique, now do more damage and have more health packed in for some incomprehensible reason other than to be some unecessary obstacle to the good parts. While the whole mythology of making choices and finding yourself does seem to entail the courier, as indeed you feel like you are spanning a long journey to 'find' yourself, or just kill ulysses, I'm not sure which, but while Ulysses is a complex men with a lot on his mind and nothing to hold back, I never feel that everything about who the courier is is explained here. Perhaps it was because half of the dialogue planned for him was cut as well as him from the original game, or maybe because of his slow and casually melancholy tone. I did feel appreciated for the style of it's environments, but this DLC only has one mission at hand and only one path to go. Sound's like more of a linear shooter now, does it? And that's what really kicked the shins for me on this DLC. The Answer I was hoping for did not get solved, my reasoning for doing this in the first place not wholly explained, and my attempts to ever go back to this DLC gone out of the window. For it being the ultimate climax, I would highly suggest that this is the worst DLC out of all 4 of them. Try it if you like, but remember that this DLC is not a RPG of any sort. Expand
  8. Oct 3, 2011

1. Jan 23, 2012
    After meeting Ulysses and bringing Lonesome Road to a close, I had nothing but admiration for the mysterious, exciting, brutal and beautiful trek I took through the ravaged remnants of the Divide. I greatly appreciated the change of pace and shift in tone away from the core content, and the events which transpired were a great way to cap off a massive, top-tier RPG like New Vegas.
    Lots of new fun guns, but it's a bit too short.
  3. A big disappointment. [Christmas 2011, p.113]