8.5

1. Mar 19, 2013
    I'm not the kind of gamer who can play at 10-15 hour game and keep interested. Far Cry 3 proved me wrong. The story was interesting and I really felt like the main character. I usually stick to main story quests to finish the game quick but I quickly found myself exploring the island, hunting, and doing optional quests. Overall, a beautiful game and engaging story. Must buy!
  2. Apr 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I start this out, I have to say: Vaas is a mother******* badass! He is the most menacing and psychopathic villain I've ever come across, he's deranged and creepy, yet still unpredictable because of his calm attitude. But then.... BAM! He backlashes while Jason Brody is soiling himself. He is so good and so developed that you'll wish he was in more of the game. It was a total disappointment when I had to kill him half-way through the game and we encounter the other villain: Hoyt, who I totally forgot about and is not as memorable as Vaas. There are also genuine moments in this game where I was like "OMG! I did not expect that to happen!" It's also interesting with all the subtle details of the story: The character's bickering over how they're going to get off the island and then Jason's build-up as a character when he gradually starts to like killing people. He even begins to enjoy this so much that instead of leaving with the others, he chooses to stay on the island just to kill Hoyt. A testament to how motivated he has become. Despite all this I didn't know what to make of the ending option where you kill your friends and have sex with Citra. What's the point of that? You already had sex with her earlier in the game anyway. I'd rather he escaped off the island with his friends. Both options leave hardly anything of an impact on me.

The gameplay is diversified, allowing you to select your own options of whether you want to go in stealthily or guns-blazing. This adds variety to the game and allows you to play how you want to play. Vehicles have this free-flowing feel to them, while also reacting to uneven terrain which gives them a realistic feel. The whole island is vibrant and enriched with detail, it is interesting to explore, especially with the gliders and air-wings at your disposal. Wildlife further solidifies it as a living, breathing island and they're not too many of them so they never become an annoyance. Skinning animals to sell in shops in exchange for resources like superior guns and equipment is well worth doing, especially when going on a rampage. You earn experience points by doing side-missions, getting collectables, outposts, main missions etc. These help upgrade your skills and there are some pretty unique things to unlock here. The side missions are fun aswell, some keeping with the theme of massacring everybody that's near you, traversing the island in an efficient time by vehicle, stealth takedowns, helping random strangers out. The last is clearly the worst as I had no reason to care about the inexplicable dilemmas they got themselves into, whereas the rest focused on what the game was about and I loved it for that. The mini-games are a fun diversion but they could of implemented them better. Poker was just mediocre. See "Red Dead Redemption" to know how to make a real poker mini-game.

The co-op is nothing special as it just feels like a severely watered-down version of singleplayer. Needless to say, I didn't care for it much. The multiplayer is nothing note-worthy either, it's essentially a COD clone but atleast it's functional which is more than I can say for a lot of other games. The Collectables have detail surrounding them, from what the guy who wrote it was doing in a past life or what it is about. It adds more depth to them but they're still not all that interesting and a chore to collect, I may add. Last final gripe I have is with the over-usage of quick-time events for boss battles. It's extremely lazy, they already a cool concept with the all drugs thing but it wasn't really expanded that much and they missed a massive opportunity for some incredibly creative battles. Overall, Far Cry 3 despite its flaws is an unforgettable experience and should not be overlooked.
  3. Jul 6, 2013
    One of the best open-world games ever made. A truly epic sandbox a great dynamic environment some of the best voice acting and some truly memorable characters deep customisation great graphics the gameplay is top-notch and feels great and the missions all have different events unlike GTA the controls are excellent too a must have
  4. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game that grips you with its gameplay, but the story is lacking focus on what should be needed in a game like this, when you have a character like Vaas, focus on him. Jason is just a Boy Scout who doesn't have anything interesting, other than almost slitting his girlfriend's throat (Depending on Ending) I just hope that if there is a 4, bring back the ghost of Vaas xD Expand
  5. Mar 26, 2013
    Great first person shooter mixed with open world environment. It does get a little repetitive, but there are many different tasks, side missions, etc to follow along with the main story line to keep you entertained. The story line alone was enough for to keep me going.
  6. Jul 18, 2013
    Truth be told, I rate this game an 8.5. It isn't in the class of Red Dead Redemption or Mass Effect 2, but its definitely in the next tier. The game uses the exact system as Assassin's Creed and the similarities are too close sometimes; however this game is a much better fleshed out version, with less swinging around and far more sandbox gameplay. The only serious flaw this game has is the load times a fairly lengthy....and if you aren't familiar with open world games, a lot of the play is repititive.....but clocking in at over 100 hours so far I ain't complaining.

Open World 9
    Story 7
    Gameplay 8
    Length the whole 10; main story 6
    Fun 10
  7. Apr 9, 2013
    This game is a load of garbage. You go to point A to point B all the time. Tell you to go find someone half across the map to talk to someone you were just talking to. The weapons are all horrible. They have no stopping power. I play through the whole game just to find out the ending ever. There fore this game gets a 1!
  8. Apr 12, 2013
    A great game, The campaign is long enough, and interesting. The multiplayer is not so great, but it doesn't ruin the great singleplayer experience. Most of the sidemissions are not too great but it doesn't matter. On the xbox360 the graphix are kinda good, but at the same time really rough on the edges. But the good gameplay and the good story and the great open world make this game a must buy for FPS fans. Expand
  9. May 9, 2013
    Fantastic game, absolutely loving it without a doubt. I'll be honest, when I heard about it initially, I wasn't too keen on getting it due to Far Cry 2 being so terrible and frustrating. However, I did decide to rent the game and upon playing it for quite some time, I felt like an idiot for not buying it sooner.

I'm going to take a dig at a few people writing reviews complaining about
    the graphics for a start, people have stated that "for a 2012 game it's graphically terrible". What? Graphically, I think the game does pretty well, if you want to see terrible graphics? Head on over to whatever game shop you like and buy The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. Now THAT game is beyond awful when it comes to graphics.

Anyway, Far Cry 3 A very sound storyline. Not a lot of games have well scripted voiced storylines nowadays but this game does it pretty well. It's interesting too, and the villian is pretty awesome. Hunting, now that is something that I like. Love the feel of being in the wilderness with a bow, picking off animals and then skinning them to help me craft materials that benefit my gameplay. There are a good amount of things to do, meh they can be repetitive but what game isn't nowadays? Customization is decent, the scenery is nice to look at and the game has quite a lot to offer especially for an FPS.

I'd recommend this game to all of my friends, and especially people I don't know. Buy it, rent it You'll enjoy it.
  10. Apr 18, 2013
    A good fun to play first person shooter here with RPG elements. Unfortunately let down by a lacklustre story which feels disjointed that had a lot of potential.
    Great graphics and some good voice acting with one of the best bad guys in recent games. "Vaas" command the screen when he is on it and is great fun to watch. The same can't be said for the rest of the cast and even the main
    character who it's is really hard to connect with yet care about.
    There is a lot of fun to be had here but you will find yourself getting bored by the repetitive missions. Capturing the same looking base go the tenth time or climbing some annoying radio tower is just a few examples.
    Well worth a try. But certainly not due the high praise credited by a lot of critics.
  11. Rem
    Nov 7, 2013
    "Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?" says Vaas Montenegro, the main antagonist of Far Cry 3. I can surely answer that, Far Cry 3 has gotten me insane, but usually because it's just so damn fun. What Far Cry 3 does isn't entirely original, but boy is it ever so polished. The main surprise in this game is the story. Not only is it leaps and bounds above its predecessors, its among the best of 2012. The story, while not consistent, is presented very well with cinematic voice acting and graphics. Rook Island is a beautiful place to explore ranging from jungle to ruin. The fun thing is how it all blends into a cohesive experience. However once you finish the game, there isn't much else to do which is Far Cry 3's greatest flaw. Despite so, it remembers that it is a game and it remembers that is a great game. Expand
  12. Apr 23, 2013
    Mother of God this is a fantastic game. Mechanically, it is the best FPS I've ever played. Short of a few story missions that require you to use a direct assault method, the game is as tactical as you want it to be. A lot is made of good IA or bad IA or clever IA, but I'd say this game has the most fun IA I've ever experienced. The games rules work, consistently, all the time. This seems like it should be easy, but almost all other games fail. What I mean in this case is that you can accurately predict the outcome of your tactics and attempts to manipulate the IA and it is incredibly rewarding. If you are 500 yards away from an enemy base with a sniper rifle, you can wreck havok on them. If you are properly concealed by forest or bushes, they will not be able to spot you. I'd say the best comparison I can make for this game is Crysis 1 Just Cause 2, but better. There are a million things to do and all of them feed into XP or equipment, so everything is both fun and rewarding. The gun play, on top of fun IA and stealth options, is spot on as well. I'd give the PC version a 10 and the console version a 9, just because of the framerate (which is poor, but playable). Really, truly the best shooter of this generation. I can't decide if it beats Half-Life 2, since that is a bit of apples vs oranges. Expand
  13. Apr 24, 2013
    Farcry 3 is a amazing experience and probably one of best games of 2012. The story of Farcry 3 is amazing and Jason main protagonist grows as he is on the island. While the real star of the game is probably Vaas who is one of the main villians the game. The voice acting and the way he acts in the game really makes the player want to kill him. Furthermore, the gameplay of Farcry 3 is also amazing with a variety of ways a player can complete the game. You can complete the game stealthy or run and gun throughout the game. In addition, there are many weapons that a player can choose from which can help you be stealthy or help you mow down you enemies. Also the what makes this game different from other games is that you can also hunt animals. There are also many skills that a players changes the pace based on what players choose. Hunting animals actually have a impact on the game and you can create different things from materials found from animals. Even after you complete the game there are many things such as side quests to finish. Another addition the developers added was mulitplayer which wasn't even necessary but a welcome addition. Overall, the game is great with additional content the will make the game last. Expand
  14. May 14, 2013
    The best game of 2012, yeah just like that, the question is why the hell it wasn't even a contender ta VGA's, probably because vga is full of crap! PS Just what the did to Deus Ex Human Revolution
  15. Apr 27, 2013
    I'm not going to lie, I love Far Cry 3. Everything in the single player is perfect. I didn't want to stop playing it! It took over 20 hours for me to complete everything in it. And you know what, it was well worth it. Hell, this game was so good, I would have payed extra for it. Yet that was just the single player. The game falls apart when it comes to co-op and multiplayer. I won't even mention how awful they are. But, the good parts about the game heavily out weigh the bad parts. This game is a definite buy. I might even buy it for PS3 and PC, even though I already have the game on Xbox! Expand
  16. Apr 27, 2013
    This is by far one of the greatest games I have played in my past years. It has everything you could want from animals and plants you use the resources of to survive to a great storyline and its open world so you can continue playing the game even after you have completed the main story.
  17. Apr 28, 2013
    The game is great, it is the best far cry that has been made. The leveling system is deep although I found that I had myself completely leveled before I had even finshed all of my side missions which made them feel pointless. It is a great game that can make you feel like a bad ass and there are many ways to get things done. I prefer the sniper rifle and assault rifle. I did everything in the game. replay ability isn't there for me but it should be played for the experience at least once all the way though Expand
  18. Apr 29, 2013
    When I first looked at this game,I thought it would be decent.But after really fun combat,Great story and lots of exploring,it was way better than I expected.
  19. May 1, 2013
    I really think this is worth your money. I got it because it looked crazy, and weird (which it is) and I got more than I expected. The story is amazing, and has the best bad guy of all time. I even felt bad when he dies. After finishing the main campaign I captured every enemy camp, and did almost every side quest. I thought I would have restarted, but I feel like one play through is enough. That is the only reason I'm giving it an 8 out of 10. I feel like this kind of game should have good quests and a and missions that will last as long as Skyrim did. All of the good missions end after about the 23 hour mark. Still is amazing though, and definitely worth your time. Expand
  20. Jul 4, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is the shooter 95% of FPS fans want. Why? Adrenaline.
    Set in two tropical islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the player plays as Jason, an unfortunate young man who’s had the bad luck to go on a vacation with a group of friends to an island infested with drug/human traffickers. What transpires from there is for the player to find out. And oh, is it a hell of a trip.

Far Cry 3 is an open world first person shooter; this isn’t a game like call of duty, where the player is expected to walk from point A to B without the freedom to choose how, but a game where the player is given complete freedom over how they want to progress. If thorough, halfway through the game the player will find him/herself as a complete badass without feeling too overpowered. The game does an excellent job providing a leveling system that is neat and well rewarding. It’s fun to see what new skills can be unlocked with every new level achieved through experience points, and ultimately putting them to the test.
    Gameplay shines in Far Cry 3. Throughout the game, the player unlocks and has several skills to take advantage either in the environment or during combat. It is ever so fun to sneak behind an enemy, impale him, quickly getting his knife with the other hand, and throwing it to the closest enemy AI, all silently. Guns are varied and so are customizations. Depending on the style of the player, one could either go loud or be a tactical stealthy assassin. The latter proves to be super fun as it provides such a level of adrenaline that is rarely present in a lot of games within the same genre. True, one can feel as a predator, but the enemy AI is smart; they will react to loud noises, sound alarms, and be aggressive. So the hunter will feel hunted as well during missions. Animals also roam around the islands and nearby waters, providing ingredients that can be key to the player’s progress. If the player wants to carry more guns, they will have to hunt down certain animals to build a larger bag. Vehicles are common, and it’s fun to drive them around. Soundtrack is fun, reaching such heights during certain segments of the game that make some missions feel so fun and exciting. A very convenient fast travel system is also present in the game for those who don’t want to spend too much time walking around from mission to mission.
    Far Cry 3’s campaign is for the most part very good. It can become a little dull during the last fourth of the game, but never enough to lose the immersive feeling. Overall it is a fantastic story full of exciting, very well acted characters that only pull the player further into the story. Ending can be a bit cliché, but it’s nothing that breaks the experience. It’s still satisfactory.
    Visuals are outstanding. The jungle environment, mountains, hills, lakes and oceans are beautifully portrayed. It truly feels like one is out in the jungle.
    Far Cry 3 is a satisfactory, thrilling, adrenaline-filled video game that makes the player feel like a badass. There is no shortage of action and adventure.
  21. May 4, 2013
    Ubisoft certainly took on board many complaints from Far Cry 2 when making this sequel. The only problem is that they listened to the wrong people.

Far Cry 3 is a FPS that tried to please all the casual gamers who complained about the difficulty and seriousness of it's outstanding predecessor Far Cry 2. And as a result it has traded it's amazing visuals in for larger and fuller World
    size and the serious and mature survivor attitude for pure, far-fetched and mindless fun.

You play as Jason Brody, a privileged, middle-child brat from L.A who is kidnapped along with his brothers and friends while travelling around Asia. You manage to escape with your older brother (who would have made a much more believable main character) and begin a search for the rest of your party. Along the way your blind luck gets you inducted into a local tribe (all of whom somehow have New Zealand accents) and you're taught the 'way of the warrior' which basically means your arm gets tattooed and all of a sudden you are a battle hardened killing machine who can clear heavily armed, militia infested camps with ease all by yourself.

You are then turned loose to explore and hunt various herbivorous and carnivorous wildlife to craft carry bags and avoiding or killing psychopathic, smuggling humans freely in any part of the expansive islands using Tenchu-like stealth kills (which I must admit was an excellent addition) or all out Rambo heroics.

Sounds like a dream come true right? However you do this in repetitive and texture-less 'jungles' which are actually quite sparse of foliage and resemble NOTHING of the first screen shots and footage we were shown of the game.
    There are also many technical bugs like waterways that do not register as such, floating plants, holes in the map, poorly recorded NPC voices and more screen tearing issues than anything you've likely seen before in any game ever. (A simple slow-pan of the main friendly village shows what a stuttery mess of a game it is).

Oh and did I mention you keep dislocating your thumb? Even if you get shot in the face?

BUT if the issues I mentioned do not bother you in the slightest then Far Cry 3 is an effective and fun Open World hunting game laced with a far fetched story of rescue and revenge and sporting a very memorable villain by the name of Vaas.
    Fans of Far Cry 2 will be disappointed though.
  22. May 15, 2013
    Short answer: This is a fun game, and will become more fun as more people buy it and begin to play online.

Long Answer: There are a few negatives. The biggest thing is they tried to copy COD (understandable) in a few areas, such as the dogs jumping on you and etc. IMO, I came to this game to get away from COD. You can still knife people through gunfire in this game which is a big
    reason people get angry at the other shooters. Another downside is the lack of multiplayer games and game-types; it is easy to get bored with the small maps and even smaller teams. The killcam is excessive and horrible, and the final cutscenes when you lose a map make you want to rage-quit (it's bad enough that new players have to try and level up against people who have all unlocks). Finally, the damage is so unrealistic, and this is coming from someone who plays COD and BF. STK in this game is excessively high. Expand
  23. May 15, 2013
    Far cry 3 is a really good game not great but good. There is a ton of stuff to do in side missions and exploration. The main story itself starts off really slow in my opinion but picks up and becomes enjoyable. However after what seems to be the end of the game turns into a convoluted grasping at staws how to we end this story. All that being said Far cry 3 is a fun game and it gives you a lot to do. Just do not expect a satisfying resolution to the end game. Expand
  24. May 17, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is like a bag of those chemically over saturated sweets that come in many different shapes and sizes but ultimately all taste the same. The experience is satisfying but after the deeds are done, there is little to go back to, especially since the main quest tree is so short that you are better off carrying out side missions in tandem with the story.

The voice acting is strong
    but the plot and especially the script are terrible. The characters are all caricatures and the protagonist is definitely not someone you can sympathize with. Whiny and always overreacting. Admittedly Jason Brody is up creek and I would definitely have emptied my bowels countless times, were I in the same position. Brody is sadly insfufferable. Perhaps it was a conscious decision for the emotional scope to be so on-the-nose but above all the plot is centred around the dehumanisation of the protagonist... That's serious b! Sadly, you might as well have had high school drama students try and re-enact The Pianist. This is a big deal since FC3 is not Serious Sam. It's not a random guy who goes and pillages space-monkeys but a fragile boy who turns into a ruthless beast. The plot is supposedly central and is meant to grip you, yet it merely gropes you and hides.

Most importantly the shooting mechanics are solid and naturally the source of all things fun. The game is EXTREMELY easy even on the hardest difficulty and beyond. You can hunt animals too RD: Redemption style although I always felt guilty killing the bears and big cats.

Far Cry 2 is a bad apple for many players but it's odd qualities made it challenging and above all made you think about how you were going to survive. FC3 bears no resemblance to FC2 whatsoever but it would have been nice to see some of the nihilistic and unsettling atmosphere of FC2 back around in this release.

Gripes aside, Far Cry 3 is not a slapdash endeavour and it's clear to see that a lot of work has been put in to the final product. The murdering is great fun, the world is big and bright but there is little replay value.*

* The plot is also complete
  25. May 27, 2013
    I was way of purchasing this, as I'm not usually one for 'pew pew' as I couldn't hit a barn door in Xbox games, but I truly loved every moment of this game. All the combat, the achievements, the multiplayer it all seemed to be created by people who had a clue what gamers want these days.

I picked it up on demand for £14.99 and never looked back
  26. Jan 5, 2014
    The first 10 minutes of the game you instantly grab emotion towards the player as you watch a realistic experience in which could happen. You're been captured by pirates on a mysterious island and its up to you Jason Brody to track down and rescue your friends. Playing for hours and hours into the game you soon discover this isn't your typical island, each character you meet is strange in a good way and each play their certain role. Walking around the jungle isn't you're best option when hunting down you're friends because your soon find out the hunter will become hunted. Stretches of unpredictable exploration and free-form hunting alternate with challenging pirate confrontations, sometimes culminating with a rocket blast to the helicopter hounding you from above, is what this game has to offer .The ambitions within the game is crazy and is a finely tuned adventure that gets better and better as you play. Far cry 3 is one of the most appealing games of 2012 and will go down in history as one of the best open world experiences Expand
  27. Jun 19, 2013
    I'm really surprised how much i enjoyed play this game. Based on the first two games review I didn't expect it to be great, but it did look cool so I picked it up. And it did not disappoint, there was so much to do, the island looked great, the story was insane it was a surprise hit for me.
  28. Jun 19, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is an awesome game experience, as it boasts an unusual yet amazing gameplay. Stealth is a major factor and makes you feel like a ninja. The interface is easy to explore and the open world is beautiful, original, and humongous. The campaign is outstanding on all levels.

The multiplayer is the low side to this game, as not many people play it and it truly isn't all that
    entertaining. It is not awful, but it isn't good.

The co-op campaign is pretty fun, and each mission is extremely long (good or bad? You decide).

There is little replay value, but admittely, it takes forever to finish all 100% of the game.

Overall 8

Campaign 10
    Multiplayer 6
    Co-Op Campaign 7
    Replay Value 3
  29. Jun 20, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is a fantastic open world game. It is easily one of the best games released from 2012. It has characters that are relate-able and have more depth than you would think at first glance. The setting of the island was awesome and is very expansive. The villain Vaas is also amazing, mostly because of his psychotic behavior. I did have a problem with the sheer difficulty in this game. If you don't unlock at least 3 weapons you are going to die a lot.. There are also too many collectibles. I would have been fine with just relics, but they had to have much more than that. It does add more hours to the game, but it seems kind of pointless. I loved Far Cry 3 and love the different play-styles available. Expand
  30. Jun 13, 2013
    Incredible game. This is one of the best open-box shooters I've ever player. The story, the graphics, the characters. It really worth playing. It's phenomenal. But, the co-op isn't really so awesome like the single-player, but still worth.
  31. Jun 14, 2013
    Really fun game play, OK story. The game world is beautiful and assassination are a new feature in a tired fps genre. MP however is very underwhelming, with a cool to use map editior, the MP could have been great. Unfortunately the lack of vehicles or CTF make Far cry 3 MP a cod clone. Get it for the Sp, the MP is useless.
  32. Jun 20, 2013
    I have been hoping for years that one day they would make an HD-remake version of the original Far Cry, but after playing Far Cry 3 I seemed to have forgot all about that. FC3 takes the concept of the original and builds upon it in every conceivable way. The game truly is magnificent. The game features a lush vibrant environment that you can explore and do everything from wingsuit proximity diving, hang gliding, hunting, you can ride jet -skis, ATV's, and believe it or not you can murder the out of some people with the spot on FPS gameplay. In all honesty, I would recommend this game over BioShock Infinite. I think everything is done better on this side of the fence. Thats just my opinion. Expand
  33. Jul 10, 2013
    Awesome game. The campaing is the amazing and very intense. There are both stealth and great shooting missions, which makes the game very balanced and not boring at all to the player. I just wish the multiplayer was that awesome. There are not too many people playing and it's reminds a lot of CoD: MW structure. The history is clearly the strong point of the game and won't disappoint anyone!
  34. Jul 11, 2013
    Far Cry 3 was definitely the biggest surprise of the year for me. In a year full of sequels including Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4, Borderlands 2, and Mass Effect 3, Far Cry 3 just might come out as the best of 2012.
  35. Jul 26, 2013
    Far Cry 3 has set a new standard for open-world games. The location you play at is detailed and feels alive. The characters, story, and of course, the gameplay is top notch. Far Cry 3 is a must play and should not be passed by any gamer that enjoys FPSs.
  36. Jul 30, 2013
    This is a good game that deserves it's score if you buy this game the odds are you will have a good time playing it even though some parts of the game are difficult and will get you annoyed you will eventually overcome them which in away is good because every game needs a little bit of challenge.
  37. Jan 15, 2014
    The overall graphics, level design, face renderings, character voices and animations are all incredible. The detail is staggering when stopping to take a look at just about anything. I didn't experience a single crash which is uncommon with games this size and speaks to the overall quality of the development. The game started a little slow for me since the player must craft certain important items from animal hides you laboriously hunt (or hunt you), and I also spent most of the time in the bushes with a crossbow throwing endless rocks to manipulate the pirates for stealthy take downs. But later, the game did speed up after the tedious starting items and story elements were completed, and it felt more like an FPS and less like Thief. The skill tree is helpful and not too obnoxiously big or complicated. Movements are fluid and precise. I didn't care for the single save, forced crafting on most items, repetitive engagements with Vaas (definition of insanity?), and monotonous side quests (which you start to feel towards the end). I didn't play FC1 or 2, but this was on sale for $14.99 and though I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did, it's truly an elite game. Be patient with it, the rewards are big. Expand
  38. Sep 17, 2013
    I love this game. Beautiful environments that shy away from the dull grey's and brown's that modern FPS' love to overuse, great combat, great story, one of my favorite villain in all of gaming, and overall is just a fun game to play. On the Xbox 360 there are some graphical and frame rate issues though but it's not so bad that it is unplayable. Co-op is also not very entertaining but that is an entirely new story that has nothing to do with the main campaign and if you don't want to 100% the achievements you don't even have to touch it. They also add a new multiplayer mode (witch is not that good, but passable.) and a robust map editing tool that dwarves the likes of Forge in Halo. Overall this is a great game and one of Ubisoft's best, it goes up there with Prince of Persia and the Rayman Series. This is a must buy for any FPS or open world fan. Expand
  39. Jul 24, 2013
    Simply put, Far Cry 3 is my favorite first person shooter of all time. I love this game. Graphics are beautiful, with lots of attention to detail put into making the island really look alive. The story is also very strong as well, with outstanding characters and great progression. But what really makes this my favorite shooter of all time is the gameplay and the gameplay mechanics. Getting experience for shooting other pirates and soldiers on the island is fun, and you gradually feel your character become a powerful warrior. This is due to an extremely well done perk unlock system. Whenever you gain enough experience, you are able to unlock another perk. This allows you to perform deadly new attacks, help you survive longer, or be more stealthy. No matter how you choose to play the game, it all feels great. Being stealthy is almost too satisfying, as you quickly and quietly leap out from a hiding place to kill an enemy before going back into hiding. Guns blazing is also very satisfying, as the guns feel powerful and deadly. Far cry 3 is one of those games that I played for hours and hours and never touched the story, but did the side missions instead. It was a game that I simply could not put down. It is an experience that really sticks out in my mind as one of the best games released in a long time. If you are a fan of shooters, RPGs, or open world games, you owe it to yourself to go buy this game. The sheer enjoyment of this game is enough to warrant a perfect score, and the great graphics, story, and character development really make Far Cry 3 an unforgettable experience. Expand
  40. Jul 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game was amazing. the graphics, world, exploration, gameplay, and variety were all superb. however, the story had many problems. the game was supposed to be a satire, about an american rich, white teen who dreams of killing. so he conjures up this fantasy about some island whose natives are being attacked by evil pirates and they desperately need his help to defend themselves. so he dreams of rescuing everybody, killing vaas and hoyt, and becoming king of the warriors. at the end, when citra kills you, she is basically like "take that, you misogynist, racist dude!" that's the deal with the alice in wonderland quotes, you being called snow white by the locals, and the story so heavily revolving around dreams. Expand
  41. Dec 1, 2013
    MUST PLAY!!! If you enjoyed playing Red Dead Redemption you will enjoy this game. I've played Far Cry 2 on the same system, and pretty much everything that annoyed me in the last game got fixed! I give this game a solid 9. It's not perfect but it deserves it: Let's start with the negatives: -I found storyline boring and quite stupid. Especially moments when he blacks out and there is a stupid action event knife fight.
    - Main character Jason is kind of a doushe bro and I found him annoying, well that's ok with me. I really dont' care.
    -I really don't care about his friends either. They seemed like bunch of self entitled rich kids to me.
    -Only one type of the environment, just the jungle. In second one there was Savannah and the jungle. May be in the next game you can get on the plane and fly to another island with different scenery.

Now what I like in this game:
    +It's a gorgeous looking game, and I'm a person who doesn't really care about the graphics.
    +This game has a BOW, and you can do some Rambo like killing with it.
    +What is awesome about this video game that you have and open world to explore. Meet new bad guys and them kill them. It's not just your regular FPS, you get to sneak on some bad dudes and cut their throats, that's what I found the best about this game. Only few missions are sneak around only, but for the most of the game you don't have to sneak around even once.
    +Can customize weapons
    +Killing animals and crafting stuff
    +Putting this on fire is pretty cool
    and so on...

I would definately pick up this game if I were you, it's pretty cheap now and it is definitely worth it.
  42. Oct 4, 2013
    Far cry 3 is the best game in the franchise. It puts you in a lush amazing world were you have to ability to explore different islands do side quests and just blow up! it lets you choose how to do a mission, from stealth to total guns blazing. getting new tattoos so you have new you could say powers to help you survive the island. oh and the new enemy voss is dun perfectly never have I ever been so immersed in a game. and it comes with a full length multiplayer, and a co-op campaign and map editor. now the map editor is clearly made and designed for pc because it is extremely hard to use on the Xbox. You can also download other maps that people made and play them with friends or random people in a death match or strategic match. Now for some of the games faults. First for some reason the game wouldn't save at sometimes. and my game occasionally froze and I had to restart my Xbox witch I didn't enjoy. also some random frame rate issues. and once you beat the game it just feels like a big open world but that's it there is nothing left to do and it gets kind of boring. but I love this game no matter what so I give it a 9/10 I would given it higher but its to late. Also guys check out my new youtube chanel AverageGamerReviews2 and subscribe because I will be bringing you all the news and reviews of the games coming out 3013-2014 Expand
  43. Aug 5, 2013
    One of the best open-world video games to date. Far Cry 3 has managed to capture the world of desolate, pirate-ruled countries extremely well, giving us an inside look on what it's like to live somewhere invaded by force. The story that plays through the game is really engaging, being one of the only open-world games that caught my attention with the missions. Unlike Grand Theft Auto, the campaign in Far Cry 3 keeps on bringing me back for more, and not teasing me with pointless missions and objectives that make no changes to the game whatsoever. This game is also massive, and has lasted me almost an entire year without fail. The map just gets bigger and bigger, and the story never seems to end; when you defeat what you thought was the final boss, an entirely new island is unveiled, it really is enormous. The only problems I had with Far Cry 3 were the graphics that failed to impress, and the score that did get slightly repetitive, but apart from that the game was perfect. Expand
  44. Aug 8, 2013
    How on earth did Bioshock Infinite score higher than this game, it's so much better in every single department. More imaginative, creative, original and most importantly far more fun to play. The RPG elements are excellent, tons of variety, shooting and stealth are very fun perfect 10. One of my favourite games of all time. Oh, and the graphics are lovely.
  45. Aug 10, 2013
    Brilliant open world game with so much to see and do. I love games that allow me to explore go anywhere do anything as i wish, and Far Cry 3 allows me to do that and so much more. A few of the missions in the campaign are a little poo, but the rest is just fantastic. Can't wait for Far Cry 4 on next gen.
  46. Aug 12, 2013
    A near perfect game with dozens of hours worth of gameplay. A big step up from Far Cry 2. The graphics are beautiful and the sound design really makes the game come alive.
  47. Sep 16, 2013
    A mediocre addition to the Far Cry series. It lacks the simplicity, intensity and rawness of the previous two games. It also lacks the maturity of Far Cry 2. In further comparison to FC2 the damage physics are not as realistic, the weather effects are minimal, the AI are significantly dumber, the day/night cycle is not convincing, and the setting is unoriginal (basically Far Cry 1 with better polish). To me Far Cry 3 was designed to please those people who play whatever fps is trending at the moment rather than true fans of the Far Cry series. As such the game is destined to be remembered for two things only, occasional animal attacks and Vaas. The rest is forgettable. It is too superficial and too easy. I also don't like playing a spoiled and dumb frat-boy in my shooters. Expand
  48. Aug 19, 2013
    This game was a splendid experience. The gameplay is fun and immersive, everything can be going right while you're setting some wild pig on fire, then out of nowhere a lion is mauling you in the face, and some pirates decide to throw bullets and an rpg-7 at you. The locale and graphics are stunning, enough to keep you simply looking around for hours, much like Skyrim.

This game would be
    worth a 10 if the story didn't fall flat on it's face after a certain event. Play it and you'll know what I mean. Expand
  49. Nov 9, 2013
    Far Cry 3 is a perfect game, superbly balanced and lush with mission variations that prolong the beautiful adventure. If you truly give in to the game's insanity, it's the most fun and rewarding experience money can buy
  50. Oct 10, 2013
    Far Cry 3 combined the multi-faceted action, open world and not a bad screenplay. Stated promises made ​​almost flawlessly, and such honesty is worthy of awards. The problems, of course, there are, but in this particular case, we will gladly about them forget.
  51. Nov 25, 2013
    I really don't have much to rag on for Far Cry III. This game has it all. Here's some of Far Cry III's biggest strengths:
    -Top quality voice acting & character animations
    -High quality story
    -Great combat (if you use it right. You can either just go in guns blazing or try for more stealth-based combat. I opt for the latter which has made my gameplaying experience SO much better!)
    -The
    best villain I've ever played against: Vaas.
    -An open, lush environment
    -A pretty cool RPG-esque level up system.

Now, you may have heard this game is Skyrim with guns. As awesome as the game is, it'd be a lie to say that it's anything like the Elder Scrolls. NPC interaction is pretty limited, sidequests are really basic and you don't level up in nearly as much detail as Skyrim. That being said, I still loved the game. Buy it now!
  52. Jan 15, 2014
    The story is unique. It includes survival and action/adventure. However, I just wish there were more story missions. There's lots of things to do. I got tired of Far Cry 3 one time. Coop is terrible because it seems like I could never get to the last mission. People kept quitting the game and then I had to start over. I'm not complaining. Vaas is the main character because Rook Island is his home, and it shows Vaas on the front cover. Overall, Far Cry 3 is average. Expand
  53. Jan 15, 2014
    Beautiful open-world environment. Superb cover mechanics in gunfights. Great leveling-up and crafting system. Rarely have I felt so nervous to venture out into unknown territory, but the difficulty level is perfect. The villain's voice actor may actually be a psycho in real life. My favorite parts were the genuinely trippy psychedelic experiences that are part of the gameplay (not mere cut-scenes) which exemplify the developer's artistry. I have very minor complaints about the second half of the story, as well as the protagonist's voice acting, but all-in-all you should definitely play this game. Expand
  54. Jan 28, 2014
    This is a great game. It's epic. The only reason I am not giving it a ten is because it's not the best I've ever played, but it's def one of the tops on the list. It gas a great level up system. Hunting to upgrade your stuff is fun and was a great idea. I normally am not a stealth type player , but even going in stealth mode on this game was fun. The game starts off good, then gets a little better, and by the time you are deep into the story you will be sitting on the edge of your seat . It's a definite buy and I very picky on actual buys. It has a good amount of replay value and even just doing the story without side missions you will still get your money worth out of hrs played. I still have not gotten every achievement. This talking about it has got me ready to play it now lol. Right now I'm playing Dead Island and it's a suckfest. So go buy far cry 3 and enjoy..

Also I have noticed that ppl complain about there not being a lot of guns. But there is a decent amount and you have many mod options on em. And I'm sure the ppl complaining didn't do as many side missions as me. To let you in without a spoiler . Let's just say there are quite a few more guns than you are expected to believe.
  55. Jan 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You may have noticed that people don't have the guts to try something different and unique in video games. Ubisoft do though, they've made an open-world first-person shooter called Far Cry 3. We don't get games of this kind nowadays, but this has been pulled off. It's an outstanding game and one that everyone should pick up. This is a game with reasons to explore, an engaging story and satisfying gameplay. It's spectacular!

Far Cry 3 has a meaningful story that will put you on the edge of your seat. You play as Jason Brody who's friends have been captured on an Asian island during a vacation. It's Jason's job to save his friends and seek revenge on Vaas Montenegro who has killed your brother and runs an organization of pirates on the north side of the Island. Although Vaas is a villain in this game, he's someone that you will fall in love with once you get to hear what he says and see what he does and is an awesome guy, and one of the many unforgettable characters in Far Cry 3. Everyone has something special about their personality and actions and you will love them all. Even if you don't like some of the characters, you weren't supposed to. Jason's friends are like the dumb and arrogant teenagers that you've probably come across in your life.
    Then, there's the music which really matches and engages with whatever you are doing as Jason or whatever you are doing whilst exploring. When you're engaged in combat, the music is fast and dramatic, but when Jason is doing something in a cut scene, the music is really quiet and gentle.
  56. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best game I have ever played. There are lots of animals you can hunt, Lots of guns you can shoot and lots of vehicles you can drive. Lots of people hated jason but I loved him. I do wish that they kept vaas alive, he was awesome. You should go out and get this game now. Expand
  57. Feb 19, 2014
    I like this game quite a bit but a huge downfall was the fact that you can't carry anything. I found the crafting to be boring and unnecessary. The open world feels isolated and empty in comparison to Just Cause 2. This is also one of those games where you can die just by jumping down a small ledge.
  58. Mar 2, 2014
    I've been dying for this game to come out, watched every video, read all the news and rumours, and then when it came out, I skipped my exams, went home and played it for a good three hours straight. And now that I finished it. Here is my "opinon"

Story: this game focuses on insanity. And while leaving some plot holes, it makes you think is it bad story telling or is Jason Brody insane?
    And a lot of the stuff could be a fragment of his diritating mind?, but from what I gathered it's a great story that keeps you guessing, and while having two okay endings.. It's still pretty unique and covered the insanity tale well. The cast of this game is well done, from spies, to Australians to Germans, to Americans, all is AAA voiced acted. Everyone sounds authentic. The animals sound terrifyingly satisfying. The guns sound different and all the brushes and wildlife sound authentic.

Graphics: being a console, it has it's pop ins and some screen tearing but overall looks great with a nice sense of cell shade. The fire is the best I've seen, especially when coming from the flamethrower. The rain is all well and good, but sometimes storms appear out of the blue, not in a realistic way, the waters look nice but could of used more splashes when swimming fast, again it is consoles.

Gameplay: very diverse, stealth works well, and guns blazing is great also, lots of weapons (43) and attachments to buy etc, 85% of this game you choose ur style some missions would require a specific approach.

Overall it is a reveloutionary single player FPS and it destroys it completion I'm the single player experience, I'm a offline gamer (a rare dying breed) to do everything it take about 35 to 50 hrs, you get ur money's worth, go and buy it now.
  59. Jan 28, 2014

1. Apr 8, 2013
    Far Cry 3 reaches for greatness, but falls short at merely being really fun. It has a few hiccups here and there and the story is very thin, but the exploration and combat really shine. It's a worthy addition to any collection.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Almost everything about Far Cry 3 speaks to the game’s skilled, confident and tightly interwoven design, and players are free to seek their specific flavour of gratification and victory as Jason becomes the most dangerous animal on the island.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    The freeform combat, gorgeous locations, and excellent multiplayer are strong, and Far Cry 3 does a fantastic job of putting the player in the middle of a lawless, chaotic world and letting them get up to whatever they please. Yes, video games are capable of achieving much more than Far Cry 3 does, but it makes a persuasive argument that there's nothing wrong with a guilty pleasure now and again—especially when it's as slickly presented as this is.