8.6

1. Dec 9, 2012
    It's like minecraft, but... Farcry. Farcraft.

Oh, and the story is twisted, engrossing, and savagely entertaining. Shameless. SO SO SO SO SO SO GOOD
  2. Dec 9, 2012
    After finally finishing the campaign, I can safely give Far Cry 3 a 9 out of 10. The story is easy to follow but still engaging. There are some emotional moments here and there, but that is not the moral of the story, the point of this game is survival. You hunt animals and people, try to save your captured friends, drive, glide, parkour, kill, dive, explore, and the list goes on andAfter finally finishing the campaign, I can safely give Far Cry 3 a 9 out of 10. The story is easy to follow but still engaging. There are some emotional moments here and there, but that is not the moral of the story, the point of this game is survival. You hunt animals and people, try to save your captured friends, drive, glide, parkour, kill, dive, explore, and the list goes on and on. The side missions are short but sweet, and most have them have a funny ending to them. Crafting is an important element to the game. You must hunt for game and collect herbs to craft materials and tools such as wallets, ammo pouches, and medicine. You can play the game however you want. You have the choice to take down the bad guys using stealth, brute frontal assault, or a mixture of both! There are some problems with the game that forces me to give this game only a 9 out of 10. First, the glitches are abundant in this game. There is one glitch where the shadow of your gun is permanently stuck on the ground and will follow you until you exit the game and come back. Enemies will sometimes see you through walls and trees, but you can't see them. This will cause them to ring the alarm, which will call for reinforcements. (Reinforcements are a pain in the A** to deal with) Those are the only problems I have with the game, but the rest is pure awesomeness. This game is a must buy game. This is a definite nominee for GOTY. Expand
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    Full play-through review. The story in Far Cry 3 is epic and one of its bright spots. Most shooters have a lame to semi lame story that feel like they are there just to connect one level to another, but with FC3 the story drives the action forward. I don't want to give anything away, but at the end of the game you have a hard choice to make, and the reason the choice is hard is because youFull play-through review. The story in Far Cry 3 is epic and one of its bright spots. Most shooters have a lame to semi lame story that feel like they are there just to connect one level to another, but with FC3 the story drives the action forward. I don't want to give anything away, but at the end of the game you have a hard choice to make, and the reason the choice is hard is because you have become attached to the characters and the different sides... this is testament to the great voice acting and spot on animations. I actually cared what happened. Graphically the game is beautiful and adds to the immersion. The combat is a lot of fun... personally I like the sniping and stealth aspect which works very well. I was worried about the predators like the leopards. I wondered if they would pounce out of every other bush. I am happy to report that run-ins happen, but the encounters are random and do not happen all that often. The autonomous A.I. makes for some interesting and random action. For example, one fight I was trying to move into position to knife kill a target when some friendlies in a boat caught the attention of my prey, thus giving me the distraction to go in for the kill. My main gripe with FC3 is in the middle of the game, before you are allowed to go to the second island, you have to do a series of main missions that are a grind at best and really annoying at worst. One mission has you doing a kill free corridor stealth run, another starts you out with only a knife and a set area that you are confined to, while another has you defending a position while a friendly AI does a repair... and failing the mission five times because he keeps getting shot from multiple angles. These quests were stripped of the very thing that makes the Far Cry series so great... choice. Also some of the real time events were just frustrating... and if you do not hit the right button at the right time you have to start over and do it again. But despite some major mid game annoyances and a couple of the more challenging real time events, the rest of the game is amazing... albeit a bit busy. I did not do the hunting, racing, collecting items (unless I ran across them) I stayed to the main and side stories and the outposts, assassinations and towers. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2012
    For the 60 dollars you have one of the most enjoyable games of the year!!! Well worth the money I've spent 30 hours looking for relics, hunting and doing missions and only maybe opened about half the map. Im guessing 60 hours of gameplay!! Thats getting my moneys worth!!!
  5. Dec 8, 2012
    Far Cry 3 is probably my favourite game of 2012. I stopped short of giving it a ten due to some technical issues on 360, and some minor annoyances. Far Cry 3 gives you an intelligent story that points out glorifying violence is insane, not a good thing. It gives you all kinds of interesting characters, but one of them dies way too prematurely. The gameplay is fantastic, giving you allFar Cry 3 is probably my favourite game of 2012. I stopped short of giving it a ten due to some technical issues on 360, and some minor annoyances. Far Cry 3 gives you an intelligent story that points out glorifying violence is insane, not a good thing. It gives you all kinds of interesting characters, but one of them dies way too prematurely. The gameplay is fantastic, giving you all sorts of ways to approach outposts. And light RPG elements give Brody a sense of progression. This choice is taken away during the story missions, which are often more linear and scripted about things. But that doesn't feel like a negative because they are so well designed. The soundtrack is outstanding. Exciting during fights, tense during stealth, and sad when it needs to be. On the downsides, things will get a little repetitive if you try to 100% it. The only way to interact with the world is to shoot it or stab it. So I would recommending wrapping up once you've had your fill, and not forcing yourself to do everything. Weapon wise, you have a nice range of choices but starts to feels a little stunted for a game this huge. On 360, there's annoying framerate issues when things get really busy, and pop-in. Water textures are also a little bizarre. I think these are small issues when taken in the context of a wider game which provides so much fun and choice. Where other shooters are slowly chipping away at what players can choose to do, FC3 hands it back to the player in a crazy and interesting world with an intriguing story and great soundtrack. Expand
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    If you compare this game to Skyrim, you're going to have a bad time. FC3 is great for what it is: an open-world FPS that allows you to play at your own pace. With beautiful environments, fun and rewarding game-play, and relatively interesting characters you'll find it easy to lose yourself for hours on end in Rook Island.
  7. Dec 7, 2012
    Incredible game, graphics are superb, open word exploration is fantasic (hunting and outposts) and the FPS aspect of it is brilliant. You can customize your weapons by adding red dot sights, change the colour etc. The skill system is brilliant with some epic abilities such as throwing knife take down and death from above. The story is WOW. The main characters are so well acted and theIncredible game, graphics are superb, open word exploration is fantasic (hunting and outposts) and the FPS aspect of it is brilliant. You can customize your weapons by adding red dot sights, change the colour etc. The skill system is brilliant with some epic abilities such as throwing knife take down and death from above. The story is WOW. The main characters are so well acted and the dialogue is some of the best I've ever seen, if not the best. Also the main villains, especially Vaas is phenomenal !
    BUY IT NOW!
  8. Dec 7, 2012
    What a fanatastic game... Totally stoked! played it on a whole weekend and it din't get boring for a single second. Even if the Multiplayer seems to be a little unecessary, the singleplayer convinces with a captivating storyline and the craziest characters I've ever seen (apart from borderlands...). In my opinion the Game of the Year 2012!
  9. Dec 6, 2012
    I don't know why people are saying that the graphics are terrible, I love the graphics, but though there are bugs I don't care I can look past that, and people saying that it's to easy there is a thing called change difficulty. That is why I play on the hardest difficulty so I fell more challenged so I am going to have to give this game a 9 out of 10 because of a couple bugs
  10. Dec 6, 2012
    I love the intro to the game. I love the open world, I love the huge selection of weapons, the various techniques used to get through missions, like opening tiger cages, sneaking around or just balls to the wall Rambo style. I love how everything in the environment explodes in fires when a car explodes, a flame thrower is used or whatever. I love hunting all the animals and using theirI love the intro to the game. I love the open world, I love the huge selection of weapons, the various techniques used to get through missions, like opening tiger cages, sneaking around or just balls to the wall Rambo style. I love how everything in the environment explodes in fires when a car explodes, a flame thrower is used or whatever. I love hunting all the animals and using their skin to craft new items like wallets or ammo holsters which enable you to carry more money and ammo. I love the story and all the crazy vehicles you have at your disposal. The graphics aren't top notch, but it still manages to take your breath away and look extraordinary. I highly recommend anyone and everyone to buy this game as it's now became one of my favorite games. I wouldn't be surprised if Far Cry 3 won game of the year cause it sure as hell deserves it. Expand
  11. Dec 6, 2012
    Solid shooting mechanics, a surprising attention put towards narrative (to which it mostly hits home) and a large, densely populated world with a lot of interesting, worthwhile, and, most importantly, fun content to take part in.

Up to even a few weeks before launch, Far Cry 3 was not exactly a game that was high on my list. While I thoroughly enjoyed Far Cry: Instincts Predator when it released on the 360 a fair few years back, it's follow-up (by name alone), Far Cry 2, did little to impress me and much to annoy me. As for Far Cry 3, it is certainly very comparable to the experience found in Far Cry 2, except now with the lack of questionable game mechanics, annoying traveling (it is there, just handled far better this time around) and infuriating ai. Ultimately, Far Cry 3 is essentially Far Cry 2, simply executed far better this time around. If you saw the promise of the series' prior release, but were let down with the end product, it might be worth your time checking this one out. For me, this is certainly a strong contender for my personal game of the year. It's an extremely solid game that seems to have hit, and properly, all of the goals it set to make.
  12. Dec 6, 2012
    huge world,alike assassins`creed,variety in weapons,active nature,middle enemy AI(SMART predator-animals/stupid non-dangerous animals),strong story with strong SIDE-CHARACTERS,sometimes saves system make you angry,VAAS is so lovely.
    when you play "farcry3",first thing you like is you(only you:the gamer);the game respect you and your thinking,make you happy every ways you play.the gameplay is fun and make you to move fast/slow,hunt,hid&seek,adventure and watching the beautiful island.
    story start with a "cliche" but at it is only at beginning furthermore "farcry" serie is based on gun-play or man-hunting.
    map of the game is huge and accessible in most places,graphic elements are good not high(water is solid sometimes,cars at distances are like cubes,textures appear right front of your eyes...) but colors are so alive and lovely.
    missions are base on you skills and learn you how to use them.guns are most times helpful but shotguns are over-powered in enemy hands.the hunting is fun for upgrades and money but gamers must be cautious about predators.music is the only weak spot of the game,it is dizzy and out most of the times.
  13. Dec 6, 2012
    one of the best games of 2012 is Far Cry 3.This is an amazing game very addictive and fun to play.From the start the storyline is done perfectly as you get deeper into the game it becomes very addictive.From the amazing graphics to the smooth gameplay and the easy controls this game is truly one of the best first person shooter's I have ever played.Even if you are new to the first personone of the best games of 2012 is Far Cry 3.This is an amazing game very addictive and fun to play.From the start the storyline is done perfectly as you get deeper into the game it becomes very addictive.From the amazing graphics to the smooth gameplay and the easy controls this game is truly one of the best first person shooter's I have ever played.Even if you are new to the first person shooters you will find the controls very easy to learn.Though this game is a bit difficult all this means is you have to think what to do next on how to accomplish your mission.Far Cry 3 is an amazing game and as you play the game you know the creators took their time making this game and at the end they produced on of 2012 best games.If you love first person shooter's then I strongly recommend this and if you still not convinced just read the other reviews and if you're still not convinced look at the reviews from the critics.Forget the negative reviews those people just don't know what a good game is.Far Cry 3 is by far the best and most addictive and fun filled open world game I have played in a while.It is the type of game that keeps you hooked to your TV screen for hours on end and when you go to sleep you even dream of the game.Thank you Ubisoft for making such amazing and highly addictive games. Expand
  14. Dec 5, 2012
    A near perfect open world gaming experience. With the expection of minor flaws, all the parts needed to make this a great game are present. Story is usually a component of games that most often leaves me uninspired, and therefore my expectation are kept low. In the case of Far Cry 3, the charater animations, voice performances, and dialogue are quite good making it a pleasure toA near perfect open world gaming experience. With the expection of minor flaws, all the parts needed to make this a great game are present. Story is usually a component of games that most often leaves me uninspired, and therefore my expectation are kept low. In the case of Far Cry 3, the charater animations, voice performances, and dialogue are quite good making it a pleasure to follow the narrative. The meat and potatoes however is always the core gameplay, and here Ubisoft has delivered nicely. Here you have a huge, dense open world, unique objectives to tackle through a variety of optional means, and an enemy AI that for the most part is adequately adaptive and aggresive. I have found, early on in the game at least, that the standard frontal assault on a well defended position is likely to get you killed. It's usually a better idea to employ a bit of steath assasination to thin the ranks before openly engaging. Driving physics are good but somewhat of a challenge from first person perspective. I personally would have preferred a third person view to allow better situational awareness. Graphical presentation is good, not great. Draw distance is generally terrific but geometry and textures leave something to be desired, on the 360 version at least. It's worth noting that not withstanding the huge world, and large numbers of sophisticated AI, there is virtually no loading in contrast to a game like Skyrim. With that said, this is still a beautiful game visually and does not detract from the gameplay experiance one bit, IMO. Expand
  15. Dec 5, 2012
    This is hands down one of the best open world games I have ever played. They get so much right and only minor details can be listed in the cons for this game. The story, the voice acting, the gameplay. They knock everything out of the park. This is the best FarCry game to date, and one of the best FPS titles of the year.
  16. Dec 5, 2012
    This game is the best game i played this year. The gameplay is just phenomenal. Id say it coul be a better stealth game overall than dishonored or hitman, better action game than halo4. The guns and shooting feels tight, so many things to do ranging from hunting, crafting, clearing outposts, heck i even had more fun playing far cry than skyrim, me3, halo4, dishonored or hitman. The senseThis game is the best game i played this year. The gameplay is just phenomenal. Id say it coul be a better stealth game overall than dishonored or hitman, better action game than halo4. The guns and shooting feels tight, so many things to do ranging from hunting, crafting, clearing outposts, heck i even had more fun playing far cry than skyrim, me3, halo4, dishonored or hitman. The sense of place is Just as cool. Graphics look amazing, i didnt know the xbox 360 could pull of the graphics. Wow i just cant say enough about this game. Its just like a great experience that you never want to end. Expand
  17. Dec 4, 2012
    The trailers all said Far Cry 3 is "like Skyrim with guns." Understand that when I say this is untrue, I mean it in a good way. This game, like Far Cry 2, has its own identity, and it is amazing. Perfect for sandbox fans, Far Cry 3 has the crazy fun of Just Cause 2 with the refined gameplay of a modern FPS and a better story than you'll find in either..

Visuals: 9 Gameplay: 9.5 Story:

Visuals: 9
    Gameplay: 9.5
    Story: 8.5
    Variety: 10

I'd give it an overall 9.5, but if it's 9 or 10 I'd round it up to 10.
  18. Dec 4, 2012
    This is an ambitious wonderful game,everything in the reviews stands. Have played only 10 hours but cannot play any more....why??...screen tear(360). I play on a large screen tv settings optimised so most games look really goood! Farcry 3 looks really good , except screen tear, straight through the centre almost constantly..even looking up down left or right . Have never seen anythingThis is an ambitious wonderful game,everything in the reviews stands. Have played only 10 hours but cannot play any more....why??...screen tear(360). I play on a large screen tv settings optimised so most games look really goood! Farcry 3 looks really good , except screen tear, straight through the centre almost constantly..even looking up down left or right . Have never seen anything tear this bad, i thought saints row (1&3) were bad for this! On smaller screens not so noticeable. Great game-please ubisoft fix this pleeeeeaase! Expand
  19. Dec 4, 2012
    I rarely write reviews on ths site since its full of hate and contradiction,but when games like Far Cry 3 come along i cant help it but share my thoughts.This is a beautiful game,and im not talkin about the graphics.After finishing it i felt empty,thats how good it is.The story gets u hooked nearly all the time u play,but the thing i admired most about this game was the level design.I wasI rarely write reviews on ths site since its full of hate and contradiction,but when games like Far Cry 3 come along i cant help it but share my thoughts.This is a beautiful game,and im not talkin about the graphics.After finishing it i felt empty,thats how good it is.The story gets u hooked nearly all the time u play,but the thing i admired most about this game was the level design.I was surprised by this game in many ways.When u see the trailers it looks like just another COD,but hunting a shark in FC3 is more suspenfull then the last COD game itself!!The missions were a strong point of this game cause they always mix shooting,climbing,stealth and exploring in marvelous ways....The only negative thing about this game could be some screen tearing and an isolated case when a glitch occurs.The sound is fantastic,guns ,animals,enemy's feel real and the voice acting is top notch.The main character is believeable and his actions affect him in every step of your journey.The villains were very well writen especially Vass and Buck.I've played all big games this year and this is my best game shoulder to shoulder with Dishonored.I dont care about MP so if u want a rly strong SP experience try this game out.Cheers Expand
  20. Dec 4, 2012
    So I have played around 10 hours and to me this is my game of the year. The campaign absorbed me into Rook island and the performances from the characters is phenomenal. Vaas is the perfect villian and Jason with his innocent tone changed throughout the campaign provides an amazing experience. The game is far improved since Far Cry 2 but there are a still few enemy glitches and some verySo I have played around 10 hours and to me this is my game of the year. The campaign absorbed me into Rook island and the performances from the characters is phenomenal. Vaas is the perfect villian and Jason with his innocent tone changed throughout the campaign provides an amazing experience. The game is far improved since Far Cry 2 but there are a still few enemy glitches and some very minor screen tearing but that doesn't deter you from what is an amazing game. The multiplayer is kind of basic but once people start creating maps I believe that will help it feel unique and fun. The map editor is amazing and gives you more tools than ever and the level of creativity and detail you can create is immense. The graphics are very good for these old consoles, the mechanics are well done, and the replayibility to me is limitless. Overall this is one of my favorite games this gen. Expand
  21. Dec 4, 2012
    When you first look at the game through trailers, gameplayy footage etc. you would think "oh no, this game is just another Call of Duty" but when you actually play the game your mind will be blown away and you will think differently. This is definitely one of Xbox 360's strongest games, it features everything such as exploring, realistic driving, leveling uo, intense graphics and gunWhen you first look at the game through trailers, gameplayy footage etc. you would think "oh no, this game is just another Call of Duty" but when you actually play the game your mind will be blown away and you will think differently. This is definitely one of Xbox 360's strongest games, it features everything such as exploring, realistic driving, leveling uo, intense graphics and gun fights and many more. One of the biggest strenghts of this game is the voice actors and characters, The second to last antagonist, Vass, is one of this game stongest character. He is featured at the front of the games case and is one of the greatest villains in a long time. The protaganist, Jason Brody, starts on the island very scared, he has never held a gun in his life but as the game progresses he loses himself to the jungle and becomes highly skilled in killing. Overall, this game is amazing and is definitely worth a checkout. I'm going to give this game a perfect 10. Expand
  22. Dec 4, 2012
    this game is great and far cry 3 is big sand box You can kill animals whenever you want Far Cry 3 is all the best things about open-world gaming. It's a glorious anecdote factory, where you manufacture brilliant new memories every time you wake up in a safehouse and head out into the jungle d it always lets you play, but it also controls the tempo - sometimes a little heavy-handedly, butthis game is great and far cry 3 is big sand box You can kill animals whenever you want Far Cry 3 is all the best things about open-world gaming. It's a glorious anecdote factory, where you manufacture brilliant new memories every time you wake up in a safehouse and head out into the jungle d it always lets you play, but it also controls the tempo - sometimes a little heavy-handedly, but always with good intentionsou have a fully featured single-player game that lasts upward of 35 hours or more, depending on how much you want to do. Kills earn you experience, Corpses and chests can be looted for cash and saleable items; you then buy new weapons and maps and to replenish ammo at safe houses. Out in the wild, you collect plant life of various kinds so that you can fill syringes with meds that heal you, make you less vulnerable, or enhance your senses. Expand
  23. Dec 4, 2012
    Absolutely in love with this game. A huge, beautiful and great, living world with many of things to do besides the very well executed missions. While Ubisoft tried to make their previous installment Far Cry 2 immersive it almost went controversy and a little too realistic. Jamming guns, a lack of hud mode and an overall lack of gameplay features drive you away from the experience. In FarAbsolutely in love with this game. A huge, beautiful and great, living world with many of things to do besides the very well executed missions. While Ubisoft tried to make their previous installment Far Cry 2 immersive it almost went controversy and a little too realistic. Jamming guns, a lack of hud mode and an overall lack of gameplay features drive you away from the experience. In Far Cry 3, things have changed. With the new introduced RPG elements, abilities to craft and the ability to use stealth against your enemies, it actually became lots of fun to travel instead of frustrating. Far Cry 3 offers us what the openworld genre is supposed to offer, while the previous installment was good, it lacked many things that other openworld games had to offer. Besides the addictive singleplayer campaign, there's also a little uninspired, but yet so fun multiplayer with a huge map editor, allowing the people who love to be creative almost unlimited hours of fun. The 6 hour Coop is pretty interesting also, but i personally see much more potential in the Map editors sandbox mode, allowing you to put AI in your maps. Imagine if Ubisoft skipped this whole coop and made it possible for the player to create their OWN coop, each with it's own map and objective. This way, the AI that Ubisoft introduced us would be where it really belongs. Now Far Cry 3 isn't flawless, but offers so much fun and an almost unlimited amount of replay value, making it my personal Game Of The Year 2012. Expand
  24. Dec 4, 2012
    Keep in mind that these are only initial impressions from the first 6 or so hours of gameplay. Overall, I'm impressed with this game! It's gorgeous, and the sound design is pretty good. I refuse to critique a story until I've finished the game, but so far it has me hooked. I did suffer from a few performance issues with the game, and odd glitches here and there (this is almost aKeep in mind that these are only initial impressions from the first 6 or so hours of gameplay. Overall, I'm impressed with this game! It's gorgeous, and the sound design is pretty good. I refuse to critique a story until I've finished the game, but so far it has me hooked. I did suffer from a few performance issues with the game, and odd glitches here and there (this is almost a standard in any sandbox game it seems). There are a few issues with AI I've noticed.... they can either be really dumb or downright cheap (spot me from 300 yards away when I'm not moving and hidden by underbrush???) But overall it's a great sandbox experience! I recommend this to both FPS and openworld Sandbox fans. Expand
  25. Dec 4, 2012
    This game is out right phenomenal. Everything from the graphics, (minor screen tear on Xbox but not too bad) voice acting, gameplay, and for how long it is, its one of the best campaigns I've ever played in a game and that's saying something. 30 hour campaign? Yes please! All this and I didn't even mention the beefy multiplayer mode, coop, and it even has a damn map editor! You can makeThis game is out right phenomenal. Everything from the graphics, (minor screen tear on Xbox but not too bad) voice acting, gameplay, and for how long it is, its one of the best campaigns I've ever played in a game and that's saying something. 30 hour campaign? Yes please! All this and I didn't even mention the beefy multiplayer mode, coop, and it even has a damn map editor! You can make maps and host games on them as well. All this for just 60$? Hell yeah! Ubisoft has really out done themselves. GOTY in my opinion. I also forgot to mention that Vaas is one of the best villains in gaming! Get this now and support this excellent game! Expand
  26. Dec 4, 2012
    Phenomenal game. Rarely do I spend time writing reviews, but this one deserves it.

A brief personal purchase history from the last 6 months: Borderlands 2, Halo 4, Dishonored, Black Ops 2. Far Cry 3 is more *fun* than any of these other games, and has more single player content than all except Borderlands 2. Personally I've grown bored of the sameness in Borderlands, whereas Far Cry

Far Cry 3 is more *fun* than any of these other games, and has more single player content than all except Borderlands 2. Personally I've grown bored of the sameness in Borderlands, whereas Far Cry 3 feels like a breath of fresh air. Realistic graphics and weaponry and excellent AI are such a pleasant thing to experience.

I'll list the few negatives first, then the positives to leave you on a high as is befitting the game :-)

Negatives:

* There's only one save game per playthrough. You can have up to 3 playthroughs. I find this annoying and unnecessary - if you want to get certain more predictable parts of the game out of the way to unlock more skills and weaponry, then make a memorable save from which you can start replaying to enjoy the carnage when you're at your most powerful, the only way is to backup your single save game to a memory stick. Not the end of the world, but it seems a shame.

* Early in my first playthrough I saved/quit just as I was throwing a molotov. Following this my player has had a molotov bottle sticking out of his right hand, permanently! This was very annoying, especially when holding the bow undrawn since his right hand is close to his face then and it was huge! But this is a bug that a patch will sort out I'm sure, and it hasn't happened on my second playthrough.

Positives (there are many!):

Graphically it is excellent - sometimes breathtaking, most of the time simply up there with the best. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the best looking console game ever (indeed, many people say that about Halo 4 which simply isn't true. Look at Killzone 3 or Mass Effect 3!). However the environments look impressively realistic, as do the animals. The people look very good at the distance you typically see them, though the consoles are getting old enough now for texture detail to disappoint in most games. It's fair to say the amount of foliage you see in this game along with some truly amazing effects such as dynamic fire and water make it one of the best looking Xbox games. Though when you're driving in your car it doesn't look better than GTA 4 did from the same perspective all those years ago.

Gameplay - brilliant. If you like sandbox games and enjoyed the stealth vs action choice of Dishonored you will love this game. As with Dishonored you can play as fast-with-action or slow-with-cunning as you like. There are some awesomely kickass kill moves you can gain through unlocked skills, plus the controls are top notch for movement across terrain and general FPS'ing.

Story - the story is engaging and exciting because of the crazy characters you meet, how well defined each is, how different they are from one another, and the award-worthy performances of the real-world actors playing them.

Value for money - I played for 20-25 hours to complete about 60-70% of the game. I've done everything except mission boards (you'll understand from other reviews or playing it yourself). And it's the first game this year besides Dishonored that I've wanted to go back and play again, just to do things differently the second time around. There are 38 outposts in the game, each is akin to a mini Dishonored mission where you have varying enemies in different patrolling patterns amongst different building configurations. You can eliminate them as you please: run and gun, death by stealth, environment kills (e.g. set fire to surrounding grassland and watch it spread to their buildings!) and animal assassinations (shoot cages to let loose tigers, bears etc. or entice animals to the enemy's location).

Summary:

I'd describe FC3 both graphically and in terms of gameplay as half first person Just Cause 2, half Dishonored. It has amazing stealth skills you can learn (e.g. assassinate a guy, whip the pin out of his grenade and kick him away!) plus some great FPS action with tight controls in a visual busy jungle environment.

For me it's game of the year. I feel bad for Dishonored, because that was a phenomenal game but just a bit too short for my liking. FC3 is a bit more fun because it gives you more content and some brilliant vehicles and environment mechanics like realistic spreading fire that really up the ante.

Buy it. Buy it now.
  27. Dec 4, 2012
    First off, to address another review below: Did you just seriously say "Graphics are ok but not adequate for a game in 2012"?? You do realize you're reviewing a game for a console that is over seven years old, right? Don't hate the game, hate the outdated console that runs the game. Now, that being said, Far Cry 3 is an extremely ambitious title. You can see from the start that the devsFirst off, to address another review below: Did you just seriously say "Graphics are ok but not adequate for a game in 2012"?? You do realize you're reviewing a game for a console that is over seven years old, right? Don't hate the game, hate the outdated console that runs the game. Now, that being said, Far Cry 3 is an extremely ambitious title. You can see from the start that the devs put their back into this one, taking what wasn't great in FC2 out, and adding in... Well... Rook Island. Skyrim with guns? Not quite. A well-versed all around great shooter, RPG, stealth, sandbox game? Definitely. Multiplayer leaves something to be desired however, with a co-op 'campaign' that makes you go "Meh" and a flawed matchmaking system. However, the potential of the map editor (Like FC2) is obvious, but without a backing Ubisoft, the feature may go unnoticed by most due to its less than stellar matchmaking which will hopefully be addressed in a future patch. Definitely worth your time. Pick it up. Expand
  28. Dec 4, 2012
    I've played every big game this year and this by far beats them all. amazing graphics solid game play, amazing fps, this game has something for everyone. best part for me is about to snipe in to an enemy camp and suddenly your hear a growl behind you turn around and theres a lion ready to pounce and kill you!!! cant praise this game enough the story plus side missions is well over 35hr+I've played every big game this year and this by far beats them all. amazing graphics solid game play, amazing fps, this game has something for everyone. best part for me is about to snipe in to an enemy camp and suddenly your hear a growl behind you turn around and theres a lion ready to pounce and kill you!!! cant praise this game enough the story plus side missions is well over 35hr+ game play even just free roaming has you constantly battling with the jungle. this by far is GOTY by far best far cry to date and probably best game i've ever played. Expand
  29. Dec 4, 2012
    This is the best FPS game in a long time, hell it's one of the best game of ths generation. There is so much content in the game, and it is all quality content. The main campaign last around 12 hours if you rush it, but I spent over 25 hours on the single player and I still have stuff to do. The co-op campaign is much shorter at around 4 hours, but it's still a lot of fun and worth a playThis is the best FPS game in a long time, hell it's one of the best game of ths generation. There is so much content in the game, and it is all quality content. The main campaign last around 12 hours if you rush it, but I spent over 25 hours on the single player and I still have stuff to do. The co-op campaign is much shorter at around 4 hours, but it's still a lot of fun and worth a play through. I am also pleasently surprised by the online multiplayer as well, it feels and plays great, there are lots of unlockables, challenges, tattoo editor and also a fantastic map editor. The map editor is AMAZING, and I have already played on some great user created maps, it just a shame that you can't do multiplayer with vehicles, which was a big feature of previous Far Cry games, and they are needed because the map size you are given is huge. (HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE UBISOFT)
    In short this game is a masterpiece, great story which had me confused, but in a good way, it fitted the games insanity theme, good online with massive potential in the map editor, there is a tons of content in this game. Buy it.
  30. Dec 4, 2012
    Best game of this year, nuff said. And no, I'm not a fanboy. What can I say, it's a truly epic game with a great and intense story that is both dark and engagingly emotional. The graphics on consoles and on PC are both superb and one of the best looking game of this generation. Brian Tyler is the composer of the game's soundtrack, and to be honest, it's eargasmic. I love the soundtracks aBest game of this year, nuff said. And no, I'm not a fanboy. What can I say, it's a truly epic game with a great and intense story that is both dark and engagingly emotional. The graphics on consoles and on PC are both superb and one of the best looking game of this generation. Brian Tyler is the composer of the game's soundtrack, and to be honest, it's eargasmic. I love the soundtracks a lot and it also fits well with every scene. The gameplay is smooth compared to Far Cry 2. There's a lot of content and the map editor has seen some huge improvements! Expand

1. Apr 8, 2013
    Far Cry 3 reaches for greatness, but falls short at merely being really fun. It has a few hiccups here and there and the story is very thin, but the exploration and combat really shine. It's a worthy addition to any collection.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Almost everything about Far Cry 3 speaks to the game’s skilled, confident and tightly interwoven design, and players are free to seek their specific flavour of gratification and victory as Jason becomes the most dangerous animal on the island.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    The freeform combat, gorgeous locations, and excellent multiplayer are strong, and Far Cry 3 does a fantastic job of putting the player in the middle of a lawless, chaotic world and letting them get up to whatever they please. Yes, video games are capable of achieving much more than Far Cry 3 does, but it makes a persuasive argument that there's nothing wrong with a guilty pleasure now and again—especially when it's as slickly presented as this is.