7.5

1. Oct 16, 2010
    Each year we hear from the games producer (David Rutter) that EA Sports have been listening to the fans and changing the game based on feedback and from June onwards we are treated to a host of football-shirted co-producers generating hype and showcasing new features. On release this talk usually materialises as one new function (this year it's Be A Goalkeeper), promises of improvements toEach year we hear from the games producer (David Rutter) that EA Sports have been listening to the fans and changing the game based on feedback and from June onwards we are treated to a host of football-shirted co-producers generating hype and showcasing new features. On release this talk usually materialises as one new function (this year it's Be A Goalkeeper), promises of improvements to existing modes ('11 has joined Be A Pro and Manager Mode into, "all new and improved", Career Mode) and some tweaks in gameplay (this year EA have given us 'Pro Passing'). Whilst 'Be A Goalkeeper' can be fun the game's AI is so poor that you are left watching what looks like a Sunday morning kick about from between the sticks. This years Career Mode is once again an unengaging and shallow experience which is full of bugs that should have been picked up at the testing phase - the alphabetical cup ties making more than a large dent in the mode's authenticity. 'Pro-passing' (whilst not a million miles away from the already present 'manual passing') is a nice idea though can be frustrating when all you want is a fun, 10 minute match. The game once again promised a lot but failed to deliver, the game is in need of a new producer and some real creative ingenuity to lift it from the feature-less, slog it currently is. On a slightly different note the critic reviews which have given this game over 90% need to step back and consider their professional integrity. PALGN and 1UP are the only two publications that appear to review this game properly. Collapse
  2. Oct 12, 2010
    Overly complicated, far too technical. The defenders are almost all, even at lower levels, world class. Yet you'r own attacking players have little to no intelligence. Unless you're prepared to play it for 20-30 hours a week with OCD like dedication you will be frustrated. The whole point of this game for me was that it should be fun but it becomes maddening. Despite all this i know thatOverly complicated, far too technical. The defenders are almost all, even at lower levels, world class. Yet you'r own attacking players have little to no intelligence. Unless you're prepared to play it for 20-30 hours a week with OCD like dedication you will be frustrated. The whole point of this game for me was that it should be fun but it becomes maddening. Despite all this i know that beneath it all a great football game is trying to break out, it just that i don't have the time to learn it all. Expand
  3. Oct 13, 2010
    Simply put, when your in control of your team, ie. when not in Be A Pro mode, its fine, the Personality + system is a great addition for those world class players who have those strengths, and are now able to use them more effectively. The general play after that though feels very close to FIFA 10.

When you get into the Be A Pro mode, outfield and goalkeeper then the problems start. I'll start with the goalkeeper as i've put about a season and a half in that. The points system is completely and utterly broken. Most games i will finish between 5.5 and 6.5, and generally that with doing one or two things. You barely get rewarded, but get penalised within a second of a minor error. Apparently calling for the ball results in a negative score. Another example is if you don' get a single shot on goal, your left on 6.0, the rating you start on. The assistant then deems you had an appalling game and drops you from the starting 11, absolutely infuriating. Then the commonality with both Be A Pro sections is your AI teammates are awful, can't find a decent pass, and especially as a Goalkeeper your even more helpless to do anything about it.
  4. Sep 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As an award winning game, you would expect FIFA 11 to be improved, technical and stunning. After playing the game for 12 months, it has come to pass that this game should be a lot better. Starting off with the career mode, you cant be substituted in, if you get fouled and upon falling your hand touches the ball, you lose the foul to a hand ball, WTF? You cant beat the goalkeeper in the air for some reason, hell always win, PES 10 was better than this. Dissapointing.... Expand
  5. May 26, 2011
    Fifa is by far the best game to play with your friends and this edition continues it in my view.
    Yes it is more difficult to score, free kicks are especially difficult and I usually only score of a deflection at free kick time. But through balls are crucial, you can't just finesse shot everything like in fifa 10 and once you are past a defender the guy manages to run you in mostly. It is in my view the most realistic sports game out there. People have mixed feelings. This is good but I enjoyed fifa 10 more even though this one is probably better.
  6. Apr 24, 2011
    At first, this game seemed to be amazing with new Be A Goalkeeper mode and a whole new passing system. But, as time went on I realised what these changes had done to the game. The passing is awkward and slow, which makes it difficult to ensure the pass goes to your team mate, rather than the opposing team. The Be A Goalkeeper mode is mind-numbingly boring, as any threat upon your goal isAt first, this game seemed to be amazing with new Be A Goalkeeper mode and a whole new passing system. But, as time went on I realised what these changes had done to the game. The passing is awkward and slow, which makes it difficult to ensure the pass goes to your team mate, rather than the opposing team. The Be A Goalkeeper mode is mind-numbingly boring, as any threat upon your goal is normally dealt with by the defence, leaving you with nothing to do. Also, the addition of Ultimate Team has really destroyed the game's credability. The constant need to buy contracts or medical cards is a huge drain on my time. Another negative is that, even though it is a monumental problem and annoyance, the 'noob pass' has still not been eradicated. The constant threat of noobies in online games has become a burden. However, some positives. The transfers in manager mode are realistic, with new board backing and player status' really has made the game more life-like. The referee's decisions are harsh but fair most of the time, but these virtual men lack the ability to let things go. A foul is commited. It is then twenty minutes before the ball is out of play and the referee has not forgotten. To make this even a 7/10, ditch the noob pass, ditch the stupid passing, ditch the unbelievable defence in poor teams, and ditch the shocking commentators. Expand
  7. Feb 9, 2014
    With the once great Pro Evolution Soccer series continuing to struggle this gen FIFA is now the choice for most gamers. If you've enjoyed the series you’ll not be disappointed, just don't go expecting anything particular new or innovative.
  8. Sep 10, 2011
    Game was more fun than Fifa 11 and I liked the player/player manager/manager mode transitions but I disliked how I was asked to play against low level oppositions when low on stamina especially when there is a midweek match against a good team.

I wish it had an option to start me as a substitute or if I'm leading by 2-0 or something at half time, it would rest me. AI was a bit weird at

AI was a bit weird at times but the game play was a bit better.. hate how crosses would go into the wrong place with auto settings.. better than Fifa 10 but still not up to par :(
  9. May 25, 2014
    It's a football game that does what is expected.

That's it.

Thought there was more? Thought your extra amount of money spent upon release went towards some extra feature or something? No, of course not, don't be stupid.
  10. Oct 16, 2010

1. Feb 7, 2011
    FIFA 11 really is the ultimate soccer experience and any fan would do well to give this game a play. New improvements to the gameplay mechanics make this years iteration even more appealing than the last.
  2. Jan 16, 2011
    Year after year FIFA 11 is getting a little better. EA has made probably the perfect football game with FIFA 11.
    FIFA 11 is a rock solid football game that in many ways nudges the gameplay in the right direction. But the developers should have a look at their Madden-colleagues, as FIFA needs to rediscover itself in many of the aspects that don't directly influence the gameplay, so the yearly update doesn't just become business as usual. The goal every year is to come as close to the real football experience as possible, and you only get that when you show and understand the drama outside of the pitch, too.