Game of Thrones Xbox 360

5.1

1. Nov 22, 2014
    This game really got a bad rap. I would not have bought it had I seen the review scores for it...but I had pre-ordered it a long time ago from Amazon and it just showed up.

Frankly, after playing the game twice with both characters (A Night's Watchman and a Red Priest, how can you beat that? Both just excellent, Mors edging the other dude out for me though) through to the end, I am shocked the average score is 5ish. If you like CRPGs and you like either the books or the HBO show, you will enjoy this game. The story is excellent. The game's combat is a little dated, it most resembles the system KOTOR used. The graphics are not cutting edge for last gen but they are not bad to the point where they detract from the experience.
  2. Jun 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

To but the kabosh on what I at first intended to be a not too terribly lengthy review, but which somehow decided to grow into one anyway- I will simply wrap up without any further closing remarks. What has been said has already been said, and could not possibly be said in many more ways than I care to ramble on about or makes gestures (obscenely or not) about either.

I gave the Game of Thrones video game (mainly for the Xbox 360, as that is the console I own it for- although this pretty much applies to the others as well, because as far as I can tell, they are all pretty similar in the least) a 7.00 out of ten total points, which may be a tad high for some tastes, and low for others. This is merely due to the mitigating and aggravating sentences and factors given by the six or so above listed segments of my review. Keep in mind that this is of course as I played through it, and your playthrough- should you buy or have already bought the game, may indeed be vastly different.

With that said, I will soundly place my banner in the castle of whatever lord may hold reign over Cyanide and Atlus' lands, because I will pledge a whopping Moderate replay value to this game. While others' opinions may differ with mine own, keep in mind that I never said I wouldn't become a Frey and pull one over on you later...

Don't attend any weddings any times soon, especially if you enjoy bringing your dog along or a dire wolf, if that is your thing...

Written 2012
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    It definitely improves the lore of Westeros and enlightens us on season 1 and the happenings just before. For Game of Thrones fan it is a must. The storyline is excellent and if my review was based solely on that it would be a 10/10. I got the game for Christmas 13 from my parents after I read the 5 books over the past year. No disappointment. If you enjoy Mass Effect 1, Knights of the OldIt definitely improves the lore of Westeros and enlightens us on season 1 and the happenings just before. For Game of Thrones fan it is a must. The storyline is excellent and if my review was based solely on that it would be a 10/10. I got the game for Christmas 13 from my parents after I read the 5 books over the past year. No disappointment. If you enjoy Mass Effect 1, Knights of the Old Republic, or Dragon Age you will like the way you can tell multiple stories in the game with dialogue or violence. A downfall is you have a very restrictive view of character models. Your body is set and all you choose in theory is between one of three styles.

The first downfall that really lowered the score by a 1.5 points for me was the blotchy movements. This looks like an original Xbox game and not a 360 game. I was stunned at how poor it looked. Even the original dragon age was designed a little better graphically. Cut scenes weren't that much better.

The second biggest decrease was slow load times. This game came out in 2013 and the loading ability of the game was super slow. It should have progressed faster. Frustrating at points because you are unsure if the game is freezing when it takes this long. Not sure what the data was used for that didn't go into making the game look better.

With Game of Thrones the final decrease on my grading scale came from no additional content and I didn't download a patch before the game began. In today's age I rarely see a perfect game and waiting for a patch to fix a glitch could take a week or so after release. When I buy the game nearly a year later and the downloadable content section is empty among other things that just crushed me before I began.

In all this game is playable if you are a fan of RPGs, Game of Thrones, and story driven mechanics. This game probably isn't playable to you if you want actual gameplay and battles. Solid game but could have been more expansive.
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    I found this fun actually,but there was a lot missing in it but not buggy or glitchy just bad story line and graphics as well as gameplay. This was better then Risen 2 dark waters.
  5. Jun 8, 2012
    This game feels like it is one that is mostly for the fans. The fighting controls are a bit clunky and the story (although true to the source material) is a little slow and plodding. The graphics are decent but nothing that will win any awards. Character creation feels limited but has some interesting innovations such as forcing the player to balance character strengths and weaknesses.This game feels like it is one that is mostly for the fans. The fighting controls are a bit clunky and the story (although true to the source material) is a little slow and plodding. The graphics are decent but nothing that will win any awards. Character creation feels limited but has some interesting innovations such as forcing the player to balance character strengths and weaknesses. One of the better game adaptations but, Like most licensed games, it falls into the category of mediocre and only something for those passionate about the source material. Expand
  6. May 18, 2012
    Finally a game of the famous George R. R. Martin books and subsequent HBO series: the problem was that Cyanide buyed the right to the game before it was a success to the general public. The game begins with the theme song of the HBO series: when we have 3 dificulties options, Squire, Knight and Lord, and we have option of subtitles in English or French, and not to show blood and helmet ofFinally a game of the famous George R. R. Martin books and subsequent HBO series: the problem was that Cyanide buyed the right to the game before it was a success to the general public. The game begins with the theme song of the HBO series: when we have 3 dificulties options, Squire, Knight and Lord, and we have option of subtitles in English or French, and not to show blood and helmet of the character in gameplay. After this, is a brief introduction to the history of books, covering a map displayed on a table, after that there is a scene that shows Mors hunting a deserter from the Black Watch in the forest, followed by a text explaining their motivations and life.

Done that you enter the character customization screen (only gameplay features can be changed, nothing of the physical): first we choose the positions and fighting style, out of 3 (Landed Knight Hedge Knight and Magnar): each with its own style and characteristics.

Then we enter a screen that divides the points of extra attributes: Strength, Agility, Luck, Endurance and Intelligence. There are indicators of more advanced statistical character, as in more advanced RPGs in that show fractions and percentages in their damage, damage resistance, regeneration per second, among others.

After that you enter a screen with a skill tree and finally enters a screen with Skill Points between various forms of weapons, to distribute more points, each with a skill tree with branches and specializations (not very intricate). Then finally, one enters a screen with character traits, which chooses between strengths and weaknesses, to give bonuses to certain characteristics(to each + or - there must be a balance).

The graphics are mixed: good, being well-crafted design especially in the face of the characters and their particular details, although not the same level of top notch games. Already the general breakdown of characters (excluding the face), clothes, etc. scenarios. worse, being simpler with fewer details, textures and some edges of features more "straight", becoming coarse, like the super-sized hands - the general graphics remind me os Sherlock Holmes Vs Jack the Ripper (done also by Cyanide).

The musics are the ones in the show, orchestral; the general sound effects are good, though they look empty and in many ways repetitive. The voiceovers are good and well produced, with excellent diction and generally well acted (at least in the main characters).

The game features intricate dialogues (that can be skipped with B) fully voiced, and that can make some people bored by the content of the long and classic text lines: between some of them have a chance to make choices in a responses, like in Mass Effect. No doubt the variety and complexity of dialogues were well done, but this can be a little tedious for those who are not fans of the series, or were expecting a action game.

The gameplay follows by chapters, which in turn will tell the stories of the two protagonists: the movement of the characters is not totally fluid in cut-scenes, being sometimes robotics and hard, and we see the same in expressions and mouths where they move as if they were dolls.

In the gameplay, we have a more free movement that is a little more fluid and there is an improvement from the aspect of the game, both the fluidity and the atmospheric sounds, and it follows a "Dragon Age II" style presentation, with other scenarios, a radar display in top right, and characters that you see and hear the dialogue over their heads. As for the menus and gauges are simple and rudimentary, with an appearance reminiscent of the "Divinity II" and also follows this game in the way that the radar displays the goals and in the character / inventory items.

The saves in the game is automatic, if you change environments, but also allows you to save whenever you want.

The combat somewhat disappointed me: when you have a designated target, you attacks automatically in cycles of action, like in "Dragon Age II" (only attacking it's a automatic event) with the B restoring your energy, used to do special skills. With the RB que select special abilities to do in the attack cycle, using your energy (stamina), if it ends, you can only make normal attacks.

The graphic aspect of the attacks are not impressive, being robotic and lifeless, and no sense of impact to give some excitement. Despise that, the game have a great story and character development, and every act you do is used to change what happens in the game, in the end.

In whole, the game feels, as a mix between Dragon Age II and Divinity II, with regular to good graphics, a automatic combat system (that gets a little time to get used - and that spoil the gameplay somewhat) and an excellent story / character development. I recommend this game to the fans of the books / HBO series and to people who like more intricate RPG, with denser story, and who don't judge a game only by its graphics or action-filled gameplay.
  7. May 15, 2012
    A decent attempt. Looking past the minor issues with poor voice acting, a very enjoyable RPG. Don't go into it with Bethesda-level expectations and you'll enjoy it!
  8. Dec 14, 2012
    If this game had as much value as the show it would be awesome! ...Unfortunately that is not the case. The overall game-play is what killed it for me. I've been playing games since the 90's so i can deal with mediocre graphics, and i've played Skyrim and Fallout so i can also deal with long loading times. But i absolutely HATE turned based games with a dying passion!! So you pick movesIf this game had as much value as the show it would be awesome! ...Unfortunately that is not the case. The overall game-play is what killed it for me. I've been playing games since the 90's so i can deal with mediocre graphics, and i've played Skyrim and Fallout so i can also deal with long loading times. But i absolutely HATE turned based games with a dying passion!! So you pick moves from a selection wheel for your character to do (like 5 max at a time) and then you wait for your guy to go, then the enemy, then your guy and so on...did i mention in SLOW MOTION?! Jesus, it takes forever. Collapse

1. Sep 4, 2012
    Game of Thrones revels in the source material, wraps its narrative around it, and plays along with the vast universe that George Martin has crafted. It's too bad, and deeply disappointing, that the game celebrates little else.
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Jul 26, 2012
    Even if you're a fan of the TV series, the dullness just isn't worth it. [Issue#87, p.86]
  3. Jul 20, 2012
    Ultimately, Cyanide seems to have released a poor excuse for a TV show to Videogame port with Game of Thrones. It's aimed at fans of the show, and you'll soon realise that Cyanide have used little imagination when creating this title, no doubt knowing that fans will lap this tripe up simply for having the title 'Game of Thrones' on the front cover.