5.5

1. Jan 8, 2016
    People Can Fly have done something new with the series. The core gameplay is still in place, but the emphasis is now on more arcade-style action. Level's are smaller and more close quarters. This leads to conflicts and levels that are shorter in length, but do a better job of ensuring that you are constantly in the center of the action.

The Gears of War series has always been a cover

The Gears of War series has always been a cover shooter. However in this entry I barely used it. With conflicts being so hectic, taking place in close quarters, and the focus on scoring stars this entry really changes how you approach Gears' combat. The new spawn system that changes up enemy types and where they pop up at each time you play through a level is novel, if not always noticeable. It does a decent job of ensuring you aren't facing the exact same challenges on repeat playthroughs.

Another great addition is the inclusion of "Declassified" missions. These new challenges allow you to get stars faster by upping the challenges you'll face. Things like reduced visibility, time-limits, and the restriction of only certain weapon types do a great job of changing up the game and adding some extra tension and challenge.

The reason you'll want to get these stars is so you can unlock more content. Specifically the "Aftermath" campaign. Aftermath takes place after Judgment during Gears of War 3. It serves as a way of letting us know the final fate of the game's new characters. Not only that, but the combat and level design ditches the new style in favor of the standard formula. It's basically kind of like a story DLC for Gears of War and it's inclusion is a nice touch.

As for the story itself it's pretty solid, if a tad disappointing. It's cool to get a look at the conflict when it was just getting started. The issue is that it takes a while for the new characters to get fleshed out and once they finally start to get interesting the end of the campaign isn't far behind. Baird and Cole's personalities also aren't as colorful as they are in the main games. That all changes during the Aftermath portion however.

As far as presentation goes this could very well be the best looking game of last gen. Bright, vivid colors replace the typical shades of brown and gray and give the world more life. It's a gorgeous sight to behold.

The multiplayer part of the game is basically what you would expect. While People Can Fly were making the new campaign, Epic Games was working on the multiplayer. The results are familiar. A new mode called "Overrun" is quite a blast. A survival mode replaces Hoard mode, but it's basically just Overrun with bots. Despite little innovation and only a handful of modes the experience is still fun. It's biggest issue is just that there aren't many people online.

Despite some stumbling in it's multiplayer portion, "Judgment" still manages to impress thanks to a new approach to it's single-player offerings. It's action packed, frantic, and an all around adrenaline rush. It's a much needed breath of fresh air for the series and a heck of a lot of fun. Gears of War does something truly different and it pays off in the end. There's also plenty of reasons to come back thanks to a plethora of unlockable goodies. Purist Gearheads might be turned off by the new focus of combat and the step back in scale, but overall I think it's hard to not appreciate the excellence of the series combat even in this new format.

I give the game an 8.4/10.
  2. Apr 22, 2015
    Despite enjoying the Gears of War trilogy (particularly 1 and 3 when played co-op) I never got around to playing Judgement. At the time the mixed review scores and fact that I’d had my fill of the Gears formula meant I decided to give it a miss but, having belatedly got round to playing it online with a mate, I have to say it is a very good game.

Few titles have ever matched the gunplay

Few titles have ever matched the gunplay of Gears of War and People Can Fly, creators of the excellent and sadly over looked Bulletstorm, have taken the classic gameplay of previous titles and put it into short missions of between 5 and 15 minutes in length that award players with stars based on their performance. The clever twist (one I’m surprised more games haven’t copied) is that at the start of each mission players can choose to make it unclassified. This basically increases the difficulty by doing things like adding a time limit, making the enemies more intelligent, reducing visibility as a result of poor weather etc. This really helps to keep things fresh throughout the 42 Judgement campaign missions and the short length of each, as well as being ideal for online co-op, really encourages repeat plays in order to try to earn more stars.

Once enough stars have been earned a further campaign is unlocked which acts as an hour and a half long prelude to the Gears of War 3 storyline and is an enjoyable, if rather brief, reminder of the older Gears titles.

The only real negative in the whole package is the competitive multiplayer which is just as uninteresting as it has always been and not something I bothered spending all that much time with.

Overall though Gears of War Judgement is a great package that can now be picked up for virtually nothing. I’d highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good shoot em up, particularly fans of previous games in the series.
  3. Mar 21, 2013
    Another solid entry into the Gears of War franchise. Although it refines certain mechanics, it doesn't add much new. Overall a solid game though.
  4. May 10, 2017
    Gears of War Judgment is a little different to the other games, but not in a negative way. It still feels and plays like Gears with all the core mechanics in place and beautiful graphics. The campaign is good, with a decent mix of action, level design and a very simple action-oriented story. There's nothing clever here, just your run-of-the-mill shooter campaign but done right. What makesGears of War Judgment is a little different to the other games, but not in a negative way. It still feels and plays like Gears with all the core mechanics in place and beautiful graphics. The campaign is good, with a decent mix of action, level design and a very simple action-oriented story. There's nothing clever here, just your run-of-the-mill shooter campaign but done right. What makes it particularly interesting are the Declassified missions; which add an extra challenge and make the experience more enjoyable overall. Each level is broken down into sections, and each section has its own score target and some have Declassified missions which earn extra score. The missions are fairly repetitive: complete the section in a set time, face more powerful enemies, reduced visibility, reduced ammo, weapon restrictions and so on. However, the cutscenes and declassified missions do break immersion with your choice of weapons in gameplay; in nearly all cutscenes characters are always shown with Lancers even if this is not the case. Similarly, even though there is plenty of ammo available, some of the Declassified missions will contradict this in the storytelling.

The multiplayer is nothing like classic Gears - it plays more like a typical third-person shooter with much more verticality than is typically possible in Gears. Whilst it's not bad, with a decent mix of weapons, maps and game modes, it's understandable why some (most) people don't like it.

The survival mode is more promising though. It's basically defending some object and falling back when it gets destroyed. There are four classes and five players. Unlike typical Gears Horde, this is simplified considerably. There are no resources or a Fabricator, you cannot build defenses, you can change class when you die and can respawn within a few seconds of dying. There are also only 10 waves. It definitely has a much more lightweight and arcadey feel to it, which is by no means a bad thing.

One thing I particularly have to commend this game for is the AI. Your teammates actually revive, play the objective, kill enemies and somewhat use teamwork. It's clear that the four-character setup was meant for co-op campaign, but iunlike in most games AI teammates aren't useless or stupid. This is particularly important because the entire campaign (and survival) are always with the 4 characters.

Overall, Gears of War Judgment is both a good shooter and Gears of War game. It may not be as high quality as the main numbered entries, but it's still a decent experience whether or not you're new to Gears.
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    Judgment is a nice extension of the Gears of War series. It does very little to innovate upon its already proven campaign and multiplayer base, but what it does, it does well. Declassified mission options give a great change-up to the campaign experience and force you to approach an encounter with some kind of added difficulty or weapon set that you might otherwise not use. The story isJudgment is a nice extension of the Gears of War series. It does very little to innovate upon its already proven campaign and multiplayer base, but what it does, it does well. Declassified mission options give a great change-up to the campaign experience and force you to approach an encounter with some kind of added difficulty or weapon set that you might otherwise not use. The story is worthwhile, and I found myself enjoying this title more than I had expected to, especially the small spin off to the Gears of War 3 storyline that you experience via Aftermath. This game will find opposition, but Judgment isn't a flop, even if it feels a bit like an expansion pack at times. I think anyone with a level-head and reasonable expectations will find this a good investment of their time & money. Expand
  6. Dec 19, 2014
    I hesitated to play this one, because all the flame and bad reviews it got. I must say, I agree, but not with the user score but with Critic's on this one.
    1) Graphic - Great. One of the best on X360, and as to be expected this is one of the best looking games on Unreal engine. 9/10
    2) Sound - nothing new from previous instalments, just good. 7/10 3) Story - actually for a shooter it
    2) Sound - nothing new from previous instalments, just good. 7/10
    3) Story - actually for a shooter it has really great story (i started Serious sam 3 right after this - cant complain :D) Campaign is also perfectly timed, It ended just before it started to bore me (I hate when games drag too long, I like to finish them but sometimes I want to throw up when I think that game should end 5 hours earlier f.e. Uncharted 2, GTA 4, Dead Space 2 - cool games but enough is enough) 8/10
    4) Gameplay - im giving judgement only based on single player campaign - great. I actually had more fun than in GOW 1 and GOW 3. Its my second best (if not as good as GOW2) instalment of the series. 9/10

Overall - 9/10
    Dont read those bad reviews, if you didnt played GOW games for a long time (like me) or didnt played this games at all (even better) there is big chance that Youll love this game, just like me. And You can buy it really cheap now.
  7. May 24, 2015
    Such hate because it's not quite the same Gears game. Yeah, it's inferior to Gow2 and 3 (I think it's probably a little better than the original due to how much more content it has), but it's still fun. The metacritic score of 79 is about right. The campaign is less enjoyable than ever not only because the story is mediocre but because the whole campaign is split into little segments soSuch hate because it's not quite the same Gears game. Yeah, it's inferior to Gow2 and 3 (I think it's probably a little better than the original due to how much more content it has), but it's still fun. The metacritic score of 79 is about right. The campaign is less enjoyable than ever not only because the story is mediocre but because the whole campaign is split into little segments so they can keep giving you challenges to apply to each little part. I prefer the longer, larger scale battles of 2 and 3 to this type of campaign, although it's still a pretty good campaign (7/10, I'd say). There's nothing wrong with the multiplayer or co-op but nothing is "standout", either. Why an 8? Well, I really enjoy the overrun mode, which is like a multiplayer version of horde mode. Kind of imbalanced or not, it can provide hours of fun. On top of this, there's jus a lot of content, just like GoW3. The content isn't quite to that level, but this game is at least a 7.5/10 in my opinion. Again, I understand the hate and I was kind of disappointed, too, but it still stands as a good game with plenty of content (oh, and mroe new guns). Expand
  8. Jun 25, 2016
    It's still Gears of War! And I had a good time playing it! It wasn't perfect, but still very enjoyable. The controls were a little different, but still worked. The formula hasn't changed that much: You get big guns, and you shoot a lot of bad guys.
  9. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Nice lighting, good character models, detailed looking environments, but minor anti-aliasing. 9.5.

Sound: Voice acting is good, traditional gears themes, traditional gun sounds. No issues with sound. 10. Gameplay: The single player is broken down into sections with some mechanics feeling similar to a horde mode. The gameplay mechanics are similar to previous gears

Gameplay: The single player is broken down into sections with some mechanics feeling similar to a horde mode. The gameplay mechanics are similar to previous gears games although the controls have been revamped. The new controls feel great, and the multiplayer feels faster paced. The VS mode is familiar with previous gears but with some tweaks. New game modes such as Overrun and Free for all are new to the gears series, and are actually a lot of fun. The game also adds an aftermath mode to the game’s campaign which feels more like traditional gears rather than the judgment campaign. Even with the judgment campaign feeling like sections after section the game is actually challenging. Probably the most challenging single player in any gears game. There are new declassified modes in the judgment campaign that make it the most challenging. Fans are disappointed this time around because there’s no horde mode although there’s a survival mode, but while it is a fresh take, it’s not as revolutionary as horde mode was. 9.0

Story: The judgment campaign is a prequel in the gears series, and is told through testimonies from each character. The aftermath campaign takes place during gears 3 and is actually a good bonus. The story telling isn’t any amazing, but it’s just plain simple. No good plot twist, just a story progressing forward, with a seeable ending. 7.5.

Replay Value: Tons of modes, definitely another gears game with replay value. The single player is short, but there’s a bonus aftermath mode, the multiplayer is never ending. Still, there’s not enough maps for modes like Overrun, or Versus, Epic made a bad decision, but future DLC packs will add more. 9.0.

Overall Score: 9 out of 10.
  10. Mar 19, 2013
    The formula has been tweaked, not completely redone. Developer People Can Fly teaming up with Epic Games is probably the best thing that could happen to Gears, Campaign mode finds Kilo Squad (Baird, Cole, and two new to the Gears universe Sofia and Paduk) recalling their journey that brought them to trial for treason and a few other crimes. You play through each characters testimony andThe formula has been tweaked, not completely redone. Developer People Can Fly teaming up with Epic Games is probably the best thing that could happen to Gears, Campaign mode finds Kilo Squad (Baird, Cole, and two new to the Gears universe Sofia and Paduk) recalling their journey that brought them to trial for treason and a few other crimes. You play through each characters testimony and it's intriguing enough to keep you playing and a fun story mode. Declassified missions manipulate a certain part of Gameplay to add a challenge but reward to each mission. This adds a refreshing variety to the Gears series that is very welcome. The multiplayer is top notch as ever. If you're reading this review you must have an idea of Overrun, which is somewhat similar to horde vs beast mode and it's phenomenal. The new domination mode mirrors annex with domination in most multiplayer games, with enough previous influence it's quite fun too. Free for All mode is great but with Domination it's confusing, usually COG vs COG soldiers and it's hard to differentiate between teammates in Domination. Survival takes place of Horde and while much like Overrun it doesn't feel as deep and rewarding playing against bots. Customization is abundant and plentiful, many ribbons and metals, skins, and rewards alike. I'll try to keep this more brief but Judgment is a must buy for any Gears fan and a damn good game in general, it's a fresh way to approach Gears and reinvigorate the series with new found life. Expand
  11. Apr 4, 2013
    I wasn't looking for this game but I'm really having a good time with it.
    The coop experience and the optional extra mission or condition in every cut makes the gameplay variate and intense.
    Quite fun!
  12. Apr 23, 2013
    The game itself was more or less giving fans the chance to learn more about Cole and Baird, which was why I leaped a it. However the gaming style was quite drastically different. Unlike the last Gears of war games, the storytelling isn't as linear and the sections are broken up by arcade style levels. You don't get to keep your weapons that you had in the last section which can beThe game itself was more or less giving fans the chance to learn more about Cole and Baird, which was why I leaped a it. However the gaming style was quite drastically different. Unlike the last Gears of war games, the storytelling isn't as linear and the sections are broken up by arcade style levels. You don't get to keep your weapons that you had in the last section which can be especially annoying if you've just grabbed your favourite weapon.
    But the interesting thing are the challenges they issue you to keep you on your toes, and the enemies in each level have about three different wave styles if you die/restart a level.
    What was nice to see was that if you played enough/got enough stars awarded you unlocked a section from the Gears 3 arc.

Over all it was definitely a fun game in terms of the main campaign but the play style was a little jarring by comparison, as much as they made it fit to the plot.. I'd rather they just stuck to a flowing gameplay rather than breaking it up into chunks.
  13. Mar 21, 2013
    This game is absolutely great. Extremely fun to play, and a memorable addition to the Gears franchise. The campaign was very good, and I enjoyed the ability to play as new characters and to really explore the world of Sera and the COG in a way never before, which satisfied the itch to see a great integration of the Gears universe fleshed out in the books into the games themselves. TheThis game is absolutely great. Extremely fun to play, and a memorable addition to the Gears franchise. The campaign was very good, and I enjoyed the ability to play as new characters and to really explore the world of Sera and the COG in a way never before, which satisfied the itch to see a great integration of the Gears universe fleshed out in the books into the games themselves. The Multiplayer is great, and OverRun is fantastic! Overall a completely fun game to play that is immensely satisfying. Ignore all the BS hate from haters and trolls, the user score is not an accurate indication of the quality of this game. Expand
  14. Mar 20, 2013
    Lovable story, tons of new multiplayer modes, and is tougher with the extra mission effects. But the parts are short, Baird and Cole are not funny, and once again the weapons are reused (But the Sawed-off is better.)
  15. May 8, 2014
    This is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back toThis is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back to the game very compelling in an old school 'gotta get a perfect score' way. People Can Fly have demonstrated they were the right studio to work alongside Epic. Expand
  16. Dec 13, 2013
    This game is obviously the best gears released so far. I do not think the single player is anything special but for gears I never have, but I can play the multiplayer for hours at a time. This is simply one of my favorite games and if the single player kept my attention it would have got a 10
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    This game had a great campaign that fits into the GOW franchise as a prequel. I thought they did really well with the story and how you play as Baird. The aftermath campaign they added makes it even nicer, which shows you where Baird and Cole actually go to in GOW 3 when Marcus tell them to go get reinforcements. The multiplayer is ok and can be fun at times. I never really got into theThis game had a great campaign that fits into the GOW franchise as a prequel. I thought they did really well with the story and how you play as Baird. The aftermath campaign they added makes it even nicer, which shows you where Baird and Cole actually go to in GOW 3 when Marcus tell them to go get reinforcements. The multiplayer is ok and can be fun at times. I never really got into the multiplayer for gears except for horde mode on 3. Survival mode is not as good but its ok, but overrun is pretty fun. Overall great game and if you like gears you must check it out! Expand
  18. Mar 23, 2013
    The campaign with its introduction of 'declassified missions' and new method of storytelling is by far the best one since 2. However, the multiplayer unit as it stands only comes with 4 versus maps and 4 overrun maps, a rather weak package. Two free maps come out in April, and six are included in the season pass, but comparatively to 3, this is still minimal. A few changes for the better,The campaign with its introduction of 'declassified missions' and new method of storytelling is by far the best one since 2. However, the multiplayer unit as it stands only comes with 4 versus maps and 4 overrun maps, a rather weak package. Two free maps come out in April, and six are included in the season pass, but comparatively to 3, this is still minimal. A few changes for the better, a few changes for the worse. Not the best Gears, but does enough different that its worth an investment. Expand
  19. Mar 23, 2013
    I though this Gears game was a lot more fluid than previous games. The mechanics to me seemed smoother and for once in multiplayer when I actually shot people they died. Which didn't happen a lot in other Gears games if you used a Lancer. Overall I was a bit shocked to see such low scores. The single player campaign narrative wasn't my style, just get on with it. But the new weaponsI though this Gears game was a lot more fluid than previous games. The mechanics to me seemed smoother and for once in multiplayer when I actually shot people they died. Which didn't happen a lot in other Gears games if you used a Lancer. Overall I was a bit shocked to see such low scores. The single player campaign narrative wasn't my style, just get on with it. But the new weapons seemed to fit, I thought they might seem out of place with it being a prequel. The Declassified missions seemed more like a gimmick than anything, but does add a bit of replay value to a mission. I think they have done a good job overall in making the game flow a lot better. Expand
  20. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a fun game. It's a nice change of pace from the previous Gears of War games and as much as I love the series this one stands out a bit different then the other games. If you like the other Gears games I highly recommend this to you.
  21. Mar 25, 2013
    People Can Fly did great and I can see them getting better and better at it. I am an avid Bulletstorm lover. So I've played GOW 1, 2, 3, and now Judgement. I'm mostly a campaign player, not a big MP player. I love the Gears world and have enjoyed every game including now Judgement. I won't agree that this installment has lost the GOW soul, it's just different so it's going to make aPeople Can Fly did great and I can see them getting better and better at it. I am an avid Bulletstorm lover. So I've played GOW 1, 2, 3, and now Judgement. I'm mostly a campaign player, not a big MP player. I love the Gears world and have enjoyed every game including now Judgement. I won't agree that this installment has lost the GOW soul, it's just different so it's going to make a lot of hardcore GOW fans mad. I like the control modifications they have made and if it's a little more like COD controls, so what? I for one am glad it's not as difficult as GOW1 (which was hard as hell on Casual) and possibly is a little easier than 2 and 3 too. Play on Insane if you want that ultimate challenge, but my playthroughs on Normal were really fun with some really furious shootouts, and the end boss fight against Karn was cool also! I'm going to try Hardcore mode next. OK, the locust AI should have been a little smarter, each episodic mission piece should have been a little longer (most were only 5 to 10 minutes it seemed), and they missed out on great dialogue possibilities from Baird and Cole which really surprised me so I'm knocking 2 points down for those misses but hey it's more GOW, it doesn't suck, and I personally hope they keep doing them. Expand
  22. Mar 19, 2013
    Gears Of War: Judgment is Epic Game's and People Can Fly's way to say goodbye to the current generation Xbox. It's gorgeous, Unreal Engine 3 at it's peak. The flawless third person cover shooter mechanics that Gears Of War is known for are back, however it's much more faster paced. The campaign last for a good 7-10 hours with the Aftermath campaign as a bonus and the campaign is muchGears Of War: Judgment is Epic Game's and People Can Fly's way to say goodbye to the current generation Xbox. It's gorgeous, Unreal Engine 3 at it's peak. The flawless third person cover shooter mechanics that Gears Of War is known for are back, however it's much more faster paced. The campaign last for a good 7-10 hours with the Aftermath campaign as a bonus and the campaign is much better paced this time around with different gameplay scenarios. Aftermath tells the story of what happened to Baird and Cole when they and Marcus's group split because they go and search for reinforcements. Mutiplayer, once again is satisfying and rewarding. This time with Epic Price Boxes, that give the game a TF2 kind of feel. Multiplayer has less modes overall, but they are refined and well done. There's also not going to be as much of a problem finding matches than there were before when there were so many gamemodes that nobody necessarily played. Overrun is the biggest and newest addition to the multiplayer. Class based Locust VS. COG action. It's well balanced and everybody needs to play their role, whether it's the engineer keeping fortifications up and in good condition or medic keeping everybody alive. Overall Judgment is a neat package that every Gears fan needs in their library and if you've never played a Gears game before, this is the right game to start from. It takes place the furthest back in the timeline so you wouldn't be missing anything. Expand
  23. Mar 26, 2013
    What a great, well-crafted, fun game. If one is open to the GoW aesthetic, it is hard for me to imagine one not believing this is the greatest of the series. Imo, the best game of 2013 so far. The graphics are sharp, the multiplayer is a riot, and the game is fun. Period. No apologies: This is the best GoW by about ten yards.
  24. Mar 26, 2013
    Judgement seems to have moved far away from the original GOW and some elements seem to have started to get dumbed-down to cater for casual non-gamers. Only being able to hold 2 guns, changing them by pressing Y and throwing grenades with LB are changes that are ruining what GOW was. However the combat is the best so far, the graphics are very good, the story is good and the multi-playerJudgement seems to have moved far away from the original GOW and some elements seem to have started to get dumbed-down to cater for casual non-gamers. Only being able to hold 2 guns, changing them by pressing Y and throwing grenades with LB are changes that are ruining what GOW was. However the combat is the best so far, the graphics are very good, the story is good and the multi-player is addictive. It would have been a higher score but the small changes are holding it back. Expand
  25. Apr 23, 2013
    Pros:
    Its a gears game- nowadays its nearly impossible to ruin a gears game. Its fun, crazy, fast-paced, and gory. What is not to love?
    Campaign- 4 player co-op locust one heckuva good time, grab a few drinks, sit down with some buddies and play through it. You won't be disappointed. Survival- this is the best gametype in the game by far. Multiplayer doesn't have the COG vs Locust
    Pros:

Survival- this is the best gametype in the game by far. Multiplayer doesn't have the COG vs Locust anymore, and it feels wrong to kill other gears (unless you are the locust), so I usually gravitate to this playlist. The class limitations can be annoying, but it takes skill to master them all.

Cons:
    Skins- good lord people, how many boxes of experience before I simply break the disc in frustration? I can literally earn hundreds of boxes and all of them be experience while my buddy plays two games and gets a copper/chrome/gold skin from the get-go. Yeah, this unlock system is terrible.

Weapons- gnasher gib-fest...every...single...game...Spawn, rush, gnasher, die, rinse, repeat...Oh and who even uses the hammerburst anymore? You'll be sniped dead by a gnasher by the time you raise your weapon to aim down the sights.

Overrun- fun as heck, but come on, the COG is no fun to play, and everybody wants to be the locust. Just a trivial thing, but a similar point unlock system as the locust would've been nice.
  26. Mar 20, 2013
    First off, I don't believe this game deserves a 10. I'm rating it a 10 to combat the 0's and 1's who can't handle change.

Let me begin by stating that this, in its own right, is a great game. Every battle is unique, I've died on one part and when I retried, it was a completely different set of enemies that attacked. That's a huge plus you need to be able to actually use weapons and their strengths/weaknesses to your advantage instead of spraying and praying (I'm talking hardcore+ not on easy of course). I've seen reviews say that you're not supposed to use cover as much as previous games. I don't know if I necessarily believe this as I've used cover as much if not more than previous games, especially using the sniper rifle. Again, true to the roots.

Secondly, the game is a prequel and designed to be a filler in the Gears series, it's not really a main numbered entry. I get it, I understand how you all don't want things to change, but come on. This was a great filler into the back stories of Cole and Baird, plus two new intriguing characters. There's also a kind of continuation of Gears 3 once you obtain enough stars. Thirdly, the multiplayer is pretty cool. I like the mode overrun and the objective based modes in this game. Once you play the campaign through on Hardcore+, you have a decent understanding of what most weapons do, their strengths/weaknesses, and this definitely helps in multiplayer. Listen, games change, developers change, and ultimately, whether you like it or not, it is all about making that money for the company who produces and releases the game. We, as fans, are lucky they continue to make more entries to our favorite series.

If the company continues to rehash what they've been doing without introducing new elements, everyone is going to complain just as much, probably more. People want shoot-em-up's, people want achievements, people want something to strive for. The company just added that in to maximize market potential. It's life. Halo changed, Metroid changed, Zelda changed, Mario changed, Final Fantasy changed, all franchises change to sell games. It's a part of video game life. The only franchise that hasn't is Call of Duty and everyone complains how that's "THE SAME GAME WITH DIFFERENT GUNS AND MAPS" too. I swear, you all will find something to nitpick and complain about everything.

The only thing that bothers me about this game's campaign is how choppy it is. I hate the storyline being broken up by my accumulation of stars. I hate the declassify thing, albeit I can see why they added it, but it really adds to the arcade-choppy feel of the game. And without them, you barely get one star per. This is the only aspect of the game that I can say made me want to turn and run. The rest is brilliant.

This is a good game. If you liked any of the series and want to learn more about Cole and Baird while getting an action-packed ride, pick this up.

27. Mar 21, 2013
    A solid effort on people can fly, the multiplayer even better the campaign while it is short its a very gorgeous game.i would suggest that it would be longer in the cutscenesm gears of war has a new hero:)
  28. Mar 20, 2013
    "GEARS OF WAR JUDGMENT is a serviceable addition to the GEARS saga while offering refreshing new ways to enjoy one of the best third person shooters around. The new additions are interesting & fresh while keeping that silky smooth GEARS feel to it that fans have come to love.

While it does falter at times & suffers from extreme familiarity, this is a good addition to the series. It does feel a bit rushed & the storyline is pretty forgettable even for GEARS OF WAR standards. But the multiplayer is still solid & the Declassified mission structure helps keep the campaign varied throughout.

If you’re a fan of GEARS OF WAR, this game is clearly for you. Just don’t expect the second coming of Jesus from this one & you’ll have a fun time."

Read my full review here: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EygjQvoq
  29. Mar 23, 2013
    I used to count on a mix of user reviews with critic reviews to get a good feel for a new game and rather or not it is worth buying. Now with all long running big budget games I see way too many 1s and 0s by these games. (I have played them all and none deserve those ratings!!) All reviews under 4 are clearly trolls and over 10 sound way too much like fanboys, although I can believe thatI used to count on a mix of user reviews with critic reviews to get a good feel for a new game and rather or not it is worth buying. Now with all long running big budget games I see way too many 1s and 0s by these games. (I have played them all and none deserve those ratings!!) All reviews under 4 are clearly trolls and over 10 sound way too much like fanboys, although I can believe that there are some of you who actually like the game that much. Everyone else actually has something useful to offer. Review of GOW Judgment:

Overall I personally would give this game a 8.8, but I rounded up as giving it an 8 was a little too low. In many ways this game plays the same as the others, but the developers took a few chances and changed a few key aspects of each game mode. I would not say they are vast improvements, just an enjoyable different spin.

Breakdown:

Graphics: 9.2 This area got a little bit of an upgrade from 3. Nice lighting and good effects. The enemies are a bit easilier to spot.

Gameplay: 8.8 Same as before with changing how weapons switch. You lose a weapon slot but gain a quicker weapon switch. Throwing grenades is easier too. Same flaws from previous games are still present.

Story: 7.8 I like the new approach in story telling, but the game does seem a bit less epic. I personally would liked if emergence day more of a focus. Villain not as interesting.

Campaign: 8.5 I know some don't like the arcade options, but I for one really like ways I can challenge myself. They are afterall options and adding different play options is rarely a bad thing. I grew up on old school arcade games so bring on the arcade modes! (they are what sold me on getting this game) Campaign is on the short side. Aftermath is a nice mini campaign to unlock.

Multiplayer: 8.9 I love overrun. It is my new favorite multiplayer mode. Team I liked a little less then 3. I like survival for good quick arcade mode fix, but I miss horde. Had they included it, this would have been hands down the best gears multiplayer game.

Overall 8.8
  30. Apr 16, 2013
    Judgment is most definitely the weakest game of the series, but it is in no way, a bad game. The campaign was very well written but the idea of declassified missions ruins the good elements of the story and makes it feel too arcade. Also, I find the Survival game mode to be completely pointless. They just made it Overrun with ten waves. Lastly, the game needs more maps, or a betterJudgment is most definitely the weakest game of the series, but it is in no way, a bad game. The campaign was very well written but the idea of declassified missions ruins the good elements of the story and makes it feel too arcade. Also, I find the Survival game mode to be completely pointless. They just made it Overrun with ten waves. Lastly, the game needs more maps, or a better randomization of the 4 maps. I feel like I've played Library 20 times out of the last 30 matches. Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 9, 2013
    It's Gears 3, minus pacing and ambition. It's still fantastically enjoyable, but it's easily the least interesting Gears game. [June 2013, p.64]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    Judgment shows that the People Can Fly team knows its way around triple-A titles. They managed to squeeze a lot out of Unreal Engine 3 – the game looks great even compared to Crysis 3, which set new standards in terms of visuals, also on consoles. And when the technology restrained them, they creatively found a way around limitations. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.60]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Judgment feels a bit like an excuse to provide the Xbox 360 with one last first-party game for what is likely to be its final year as Microsoft’s flagship game platform.