Grand Theft Auto IV Xbox 360

7.9

1. MolayM.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Its really an 8, but it sooooo over hyped. especially the online multiplayer. Which Sucks.
  2. EliF.
    Aug 17, 2008
    There's fun to be had here, but the main mission design and gameflow are deeply flawed. Retrying a failed mission usually requires several minutes of driving. I quit playing after the game failed me twice for not wearing "only smart shoes with a suit" to a meeting with a lawyer. It turned out my shoes were fine -- the problem was that I was wearing sunglasses. I had to drive all the There's fun to be had here, but the main mission design and gameflow are deeply flawed. Retrying a failed mission usually requires several minutes of driving. I quit playing after the game failed me twice for not wearing "only smart shoes with a suit" to a meeting with a lawyer. It turned out my shoes were fine -- the problem was that I was wearing sunglasses. I had to drive all the way home to take them off. Expand
  3. ArtW
    Sep 21, 2008
    First off, I played the 360 version so your experience may differ from what I noticed. The over all story flowed fairly well, but unfortunately the story line seemed to be all there was in this game. GTA 4 seems to almost totally devoid of all the little subgames and such that made the previous games so much fun. There were no " pickup this hidden weapon and kill X numbers of people", First off, I played the 360 version so your experience may differ from what I noticed. The over all story flowed fairly well, but unfortunately the story line seemed to be all there was in this game. GTA 4 seems to almost totally devoid of all the little subgames and such that made the previous games so much fun. There were no " pickup this hidden weapon and kill X numbers of people", "get into this car and drive around a RC car to blow other cars up", "no missions that would give you bonuses that you could use from then on". The cellphone "keep your friends happy thing" was interesting but got to be super annoying before you finish the main story line. If you had enough friends all you would be doing is going out on date after date and not doing anything else. The graphics were very well done, but i'm not sure if I quite agreed with the choice to move away from the previous cell shaded titles. The wardrobe interface was inadequate. None of the clothing had a name once it was in your wardrobe and many of the shoes looked exactly alike. Flipping one at a time through your selection of clothes was laborious at best. It was very obvious that rockstar was trying to appease the ratings board. The realistic modeling of being drunk (the cops instantly knowing when you were drunk, even after you had stopped randomly serving was not realistic). Even though you got "warm coffee" within the very first date with michelle and they appeared to be thumbing their nose at the review board, in reality it was too much an easy gimmee and there seemed little else remarkable about it. The cellophone idea was pretty cool, esp the option to dialup ZIT to get the name of the song and artist currently playing on the radio. There was a decent variety of radio stations, but still needed the ability to play custom MP3 playlists. I'm not sure why all the big review sites gave this game such high scores, the game was fun yes, but not awe inspiring. I think if you look at the playing publics score you will see a more realict score and not one that makes the game reviewers look like corporate shills. A good review means nothing when everything they review gets the same scores. Throwing in a lame duck game review of something like Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis, does not balance out all the 90+ scores given out these days. In conclusion, the game had it's good moments but I felt like there was always something missing from the experience. Expand
  4. JohnP
    Feb 21, 2009
    How dare anyone call these graphics 'sub-part' and the storyline 'crappy.' Grand Theft Auto IV is not about presenting an Oscar winning story line. The franchise has set out epic after epic game of pure fun. Who doesn't love driving around, killing pedestrians, taking it to hookers, and changing outfits? Well, maybe not outfits. But this game hit the money with How dare anyone call these graphics 'sub-part' and the storyline 'crappy.' Grand Theft Auto IV is not about presenting an Oscar winning story line. The franchise has set out epic after epic game of pure fun. Who doesn't love driving around, killing pedestrians, taking it to hookers, and changing outfits? Well, maybe not outfits. But this game hit the money with the gameplay. It did lack in its openness factor though and was rather small compared to San Andreas. Expand
  5. SuleimanM.
    Mar 15, 2009
    While not nearly as superior as it is acclaimed to be, GTA IV is a solid title nonetheless. If you go into it forgetting the hype, you'll emerge from the experience quite satisfied. With a riveting storyline, an enjoyable single player campaign, and a multiplayer mode to lean back on once the single player portion is complete, you can't go wrong with GTA IV.
  6. Mike
    Mar 21, 2009
    I was pretty disappointed with this game. Graphics are very nice, although the filter washes everything out to where I can't really appreciate them. Music was subpar compared to previous titles although that could be my disdain for modern music, but they should have at least had an oldies station. The new driving system didn't really bother me with it's added realistic I was pretty disappointed with this game. Graphics are very nice, although the filter washes everything out to where I can't really appreciate them. Music was subpar compared to previous titles although that could be my disdain for modern music, but they should have at least had an oldies station. The new driving system didn't really bother me with it's added realistic physics, it did require a greater degree of skill than previous titles but I found I was able to get it down after a while. The gun play was awkward with an inability to manually target enemies well, although I did like the cover system. I guess the bulk of my disappointment was with the story, which I found lackluster, and the actual "fun" of the game. Realism is something I don't want to see in GTA games, they have always been "arcadey" and campy. To take out all the fun little details that have made past games so engaging is the height of stupidity as I see it. I bought this game right after it came out and I got to the end of the game and lost my desire to even finish it, it sits on my shelf collecting dust. I give this game -200 pigeons. Expand
  7. AnonymousMC
    Nov 18, 2008
    While the visuals and the combat have been improved the game is extremely slow. It takes literally HOURS before you get your first gun and even after 4 hours of playing I still haven't opened up any of the other islands. Yeah it's fun messing around in the city with your friends, but if you're playing through by yourself it's pretty damned boring.
  8. Dec 13, 2015
    This is the black sheep of the GTA series. As I played through this game years ago, I didn't understand why they straight-up eliminated so many of the innovations they added to GTA: San Andreas. You just don't have as much to explore. The city is rendered very well, of course, but that's the bare minimum for a Rockstar game. There's not a lot of interaction to be had with the environmentThis is the black sheep of the GTA series. As I played through this game years ago, I didn't understand why they straight-up eliminated so many of the innovations they added to GTA: San Andreas. You just don't have as much to explore. The city is rendered very well, of course, but that's the bare minimum for a Rockstar game. There's not a lot of interaction to be had with the environment in this game.

And then there's the annoying "buddy system," which they excised from GTA V, and for good reason. Basically, you'll meet people throughout the game. In order to unlock various little "perks" that these people have to offer, you must build the relationship up to a friendship. How do you do this? Do you go on shoot-em-up missions wherein you alternate between piloting and manning the MG of a helicopter as you traverse the narrow corridors of a nearby canyon or canal? Not even close. No, what Rockstar decided was that it'd be cooler if you randomly received calls on your cell phone from these people. Like a real cell phone, you never want to take their calls. If you do take their calls, however, they'll invite you to go to a fried chicken fast food restaurant, play darts, or get drunk. In order to become their friend, you must accompany them for same. Eating at the fast food restaurant is exactly like it sounds - you pick them up from their house, drive to a fried chicken restaurant, eat fried chicken with them, and drive them home. The same goes for the other activities. At least with the darts you actually do play a dart mini-game, FWTW. Pretty lame, guys...pretty lame. Am I being picky? Nope. That's because this is a substantial part of the game that takes up a lot of time. It was almost like Rockstar thought this to be the gameplay's crowning achievement. So much so that they thought it adequate to trim away all the innovations introduced in GTA: SA.

You're not going to care about the main character, or his brother, or any of the other characters in the game for that matter. You won't play this game again. If you haven't played GTA: IV, then don't. Move on to GTA: V, which corrected all the problems I noted above.
  9. Apr 22, 2011
    It puzzles me as to how some people have given this game any lower than a 10. This is undoubtedly the best game of this generation, and perhaps of all time.
    It took a tried and tested open world formula, applying a realistic story and creating one of the most detailed citys ever to appear in any game, let alone open world games. The characters are amazing, from the rastafarian Jacob, to the fumbling Roman.
    I'll agree that it was a risky move to break away from what made San Andreas so great, but it was a risk that payed off on so many levels.
  10. May 13, 2012
    the good points:
    -liberty city is full of life. you can watch many different people doing different things which you can also see in real life. the city is full of details.
    -nice cutscenes. brilliant dialogues. incredible voice acting. -nice graphics -best characters i`ve ever seen. -realistic driving -meeting other people through the internet. -30 hour story -different types of
    the good points:
    -nice cutscenes. brilliant dialogues. incredible voice acting.
    -nice graphics
    -best characters i`ve ever seen.
    -realistic driving
    -meeting other people through the internet.
    -30 hour story
    -different types of missions
    -new coversystem
    -impressive physics engine
    -many different cars which you handle differently
    -a lot of many different songs

bad points:
    -average story which is just all about revenge. -too many pop ups. espacially when you drive fast.
    -many things to do besides the main missions but most of them are too boring and some of them are useless for example going to eat. you drive throug the whole city to a restaurant or something else just to see the load screen and to drive all the way back home.
    -internet has many different web sites but most of them are just useless
    -keeping up happy your friends can sometimes be annoying
    -a bit too easy
    -you cant customize your character like in san andreas
  11. May 27, 2012
    A solid 30 hour+ story mode with a compelling plot, diverse and interesting characters and a beautiful, well designed world, the vehicles handle well (with the exception of the ridiculously easy to fall off motorcycles) and the new cover-based action works perfectly and seems a natural evolution for the series. The online free roam mode is endless fun with friends (seriously, four years onA solid 30 hour+ story mode with a compelling plot, diverse and interesting characters and a beautiful, well designed world, the vehicles handle well (with the exception of the ridiculously easy to fall off motorcycles) and the new cover-based action works perfectly and seems a natural evolution for the series. The online free roam mode is endless fun with friends (seriously, four years on my friends and I are still playing this game). All that's left to do is to compare it to the previous instalment, San Andreas. And honestly, I'm not sure where I stand on this front. The gameplay is smoother and more workable than ever before. The story and characters more interesting. But the map is too generic when compared to the huge-scale, diverse behemoth that was San Andreas, and the upbeat, slightly comical elements of the gameplay and story are almost entirely obliterated in favour of a more moody, darker tone. Above all else, I like the main character, he has depth, which is a trait that no main character in the numerous previous titles possessed, he doesn't kill unnecessarily (well, not unless I make him) and when he does it is with remorse, unlike, say, CJ from San Andreas, who as I recall pushed someone into a hole and buried him under cement for no apparent reason, moments like that just made me sick. So yeah, A f*cking good game that's more than worthy of a buy (It's cheep as chips now too, so the least you can do is snag it for a few bucks in preparation for GTA V) Expand
  12. Jul 5, 2012
    Motion blur and depth of field kills the game. Even on X360, graphics are too "soapy", blurry and LODs are awful. I have both PC and X360 versions and i enjoy PC version much more. Though, the game itself is nice (everyobody must already know it). 6 for X360 version, 9 for PC version.
  13. Jun 4, 2013
    After years of playing this kind of games, I finally play a wonderful game that gives so many freedom, so realistic, that makes the game very dangerous, but at the same time is so much fun. It is a big-smash to your face, or a shot, one of my favourite games, and one of the best I've played.
  14. Nov 19, 2014
    This game was amazing and all but It wasn't addictive. I would play some missions, quit for a week or a month or so, and come back to play some more. I was amazed when I finally beat the thing probably a year after I bought it. Its a great game to come back to periodically. Add to the rotation.
  15. May 10, 2012
    The actually begins to get good after ten hours and you switch to your new safe house. Before that it's just tutorials which can really drag on.......
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV is a great game with a great story, with much positive and some negative reception, from my thoughts, not the "professional" critics. In the game, the player follows the story of Niko Bellic, an Eastern European hellbent on vengeance against someone who had betrayed his military unit in the past. The campaign of the game is perhaps the darkest of any other story of theGrand Theft Auto IV is a great game with a great story, with much positive and some negative reception, from my thoughts, not the "professional" critics. In the game, the player follows the story of Niko Bellic, an Eastern European hellbent on vengeance against someone who had betrayed his military unit in the past. The campaign of the game is perhaps the darkest of any other story of the Grand Theft Auto video game series, which is well received.

Grand Theft Auto IV even follows it up with a sad ending, no matter the decision that the player makes. The developers decided that one of Niko's closest friends must die, depending on the player's choice. At a number of points in time, the player is given a choice, which would have a bad result or would be beneficial. Then, there are points where you literally do not have a choice, but to kill that certain someone.

However, there are some features that must be brought to attention. Even with exceptional graphics, the feeling of Liberty City is gloomy and grayish. Now, I do not know if that is what it looks like in New York City, but it is something worth noting. Another point is that the map is just too small, which is a reason why the player cannot pilot planes. Why not include more of the outlying areas of the states of New Jersey and New York, and not just the urban and suburban landscape? More of Long Island?

For this game, there are additional negative aspects. Grand Theft Auto IV is lacking provided in-game car modification, which is noticeably absent from the game. Instead, Pay 'n' Spray restores the player's vehicle and give it a random color. Now, weapon modification has never been a feature in the video game series, but I think the series is in order for an addition such as that.

Besides those negative features, Grand Theft Auto IV is a great game overall.
  17. Sep 19, 2013
    Just a great game if you want to play a GTA game pick up Grand Theft Auto 4 the price is extremely low for this game its a great game the graphics controls and gameplay I just hated the story and extremely boring characters but it does not kill the game its open world sandbox feature is worth a try because its fairly cheap these days
  18. Apr 2, 2012
    A brilliant, well written, fun game that has some things that bring it down a notch. It's a great game with lots to do, and combat is fun. The main issue I had was the fact I couldnt beat it because of a bug that wouldn't let me get onto a helicopter. That was disappointing. I also wish the map was bigger and you could fly aircraft. However, beyond those issues, Grand Theft Auto IV is aA brilliant, well written, fun game that has some things that bring it down a notch. It's a great game with lots to do, and combat is fun. The main issue I had was the fact I couldnt beat it because of a bug that wouldn't let me get onto a helicopter. That was disappointing. I also wish the map was bigger and you could fly aircraft. However, beyond those issues, Grand Theft Auto IV is a good game borderlining on greatness but for me was held just back a tad. Expand
  19. Mar 27, 2012
    Best Open World Title so far. Technically superb, interesting storytelling and a great humor makes this peace of software an absolute an definitive Must Have!
  20. Mar 27, 2012
    Great GTA don't understand why so many people say it's not a good game, loved it so much I was determained to complete the whole thing to 100%, something I hadn't done in previous GTA's!
  21. Apr 16, 2012
    Perfect?? Well, NOT. This game has a very good history, good graphics, you can take more than 100 hours with this game but, it´s NOT PERFECT as many people say. Please, be objectives this game is wonderful, but not perfect. For example, sometimes the history missions can be, well ARE REPETITIVE. Nothing else to say, but remember :be objectives, do not imitate all thePerfect?? Well, NOT. This game has a very good history, good graphics, you can take more than 100 hours with this game but, it´s NOT PERFECT as many people say. Please, be objectives this game is wonderful, but not perfect. For example, sometimes the history missions can be, well ARE REPETITIVE. Nothing else to say, but remember :be objectives, do not imitate all the criticisms and daring to say more about this game, because it´s not perfect. Expand
  22. Jun 8, 2013
    GTA V is coming out this year, I thought giving GTA IV a try. Another Rockstar masterpiece or s@$ t stain? I don't think its as good as RDR or L.A Loire (thats just me everyone) but it is another amazing game by rockstar! You play as a man named Nico Belic, who came to Libirty City basically New York) to find fortune with his cousin. However to get that fortune he must kill men, drugs,GTA V is coming out this year, I thought giving GTA IV a try. Another Rockstar masterpiece or s@$ t stain? I don't think its as good as RDR or L.A Loire (thats just me everyone) but it is another amazing game by rockstar! You play as a man named Nico Belic, who came to Libirty City basically New York) to find fortune with his cousin. However to get that fortune he must kill men, drugs, getting chased by cops to earn money for the fortune they were dreaming of and Nico's past still haunts him. One if the best story's in gaming my opinion. Open world in a mini New York with lots of things to do and can explore it by car, boat even helicoper. Multiplayer is great, hard to find matches, but its great. Now here is the Con witch if I didn't have a problem with I would have giving it a 9.5 to 10 is the amount of times it frose on a mission was redicluous and ruined some really good missions. Overall amazing game. Grand Theft Auto IV 9.2/10. Expand
  23. Apr 28, 2012
    One of the best games i've ever bought. I got this game for $20 4 years after release, but it still seems worth $60. Great classic GTA gameplay, great character (Niko) with a little touch of too much inappropriateness. This game is a must buy today, tomorrow, or anytime. I'll still be playing this game after the GTA 5 release
  24. May 17, 2012
    What a great game, funny story, amazing graphics, interesting world to explore, lots of cool side quests like racing.

The only negatives are the awkwardness of aiming, and somewhere near the end the storyline missions get harder and boring. But by that point I had already played for 50 or so hours, so clearly the rest of the game was fun.
  25. Apr 26, 2012
    I have played this game this game loads and i can't get enough of it. I have restarted it 12 times and i really love it when you start working with jimmy P. the start was a bit slow though
  26. Sep 9, 2012
    This game is simply amazing. I was skeptical to purchase at first, but now I'm glad I did. There is no need to play the story. I have stayed up over 24 hours playing this game and during that time I was just picking up hookers and going to the strip club.
  27. Jul 23, 2012
    This is one of the finest games to grace console. It almost feels like a film - the characters are compelling, the story deep. The attention to detail is unprecedented and the city is expansive and so real (well, it is based on New York) - the fact that the types/quality of cars and the police presence vary by place is just part of it. Every mission is slightly different. It's amazing howThis is one of the finest games to grace console. It almost feels like a film - the characters are compelling, the story deep. The attention to detail is unprecedented and the city is expansive and so real (well, it is based on New York) - the fact that the types/quality of cars and the police presence vary by place is just part of it. Every mission is slightly different. It's amazing how you can play so many missions without getting bored. It's equally challenging too. There are so many characters and so many sub plots, which, while it seems a lot, don't conflict with each other. Even Niko's character is a mystery. Another ingenious feature is having the mobile phone which essentially controls the game. Who'd have thought it? Perhaps my review is slightly better because I've never properly played, or had, the previous GTAs, so I've nothing to compare it to, but it would still rank pretty high. The thing I love about this game is the complexity of the story and multitude of characters and plots with the hugely varied gameplay. You can even do races, deliveries, assassination contracts if you feel you want a break from the main story. The only bad things aren't story related but gameplay related - the constant driving can get a bit tedious and the helicopter controls... I'm not even going to bother. They're stupid, awkward, especially landing them. I was overjoyed when I landed the helicopter successfully after attempting a mission at least 20 (not exaggerating) times. A masterpiece of a game. Expand
  28. Aug 26, 2013
    As being misunderstood by the many who claim this game to be the first downfall for the GTA franchise, I would like to concur on many of the dissenting opinions towards this game. Some are deserved, while others just seem childish. Sure, the driving mechanics are a bit hard to handle, even with the most luxurious of cars, and the use of gratuitous game cheats to give you a whole new levelAs being misunderstood by the many who claim this game to be the first downfall for the GTA franchise, I would like to concur on many of the dissenting opinions towards this game. Some are deserved, while others just seem childish. Sure, the driving mechanics are a bit hard to handle, even with the most luxurious of cars, and the use of gratuitous game cheats to give you a whole new level of gameplay have been removed for the simply stock versions, none of these makes the aesthetic and feel of Liberty City or the game itself in any shape or form deserving of a 2 or a 1. As this being Rockstar's first leap into the clear cut 3D proven successful by PS3 and XBOX, it is really refreshing to actually notice the details and contours of the city, and the people who live in it. The Problem with the previous GTA's was that the graphics, while acceptable enough, made many of the towns feel vain and empty of depth, where in this "new" installment, we get to see a city that is constantly sprawling at every move you make, and I have to give credit to Rockstar to making a world that is adaptive to your actions as well as reactive in a fluent way. Although, with the inclusion of better 3D graphics, there was a sudden shock of grayness and "realism" to the environment, as well as the protagonist you play in. But, in favor of making a character more out of just wanting to live in peace and solidarity with his vicious past against the usual stock GTA character, "Out to make money" and "ruling the world, Tony Montana style", it is quite refreshing to see a character that we can feel with who has a more legitimate reason for trying to get money in a town full of people, lost from the excesses of the American Dream. And with his Cousin, Roman, conflicting against him with his drive and desire to be rich and own the city (an ode to previous GTA protagonists), you get to see more 3rd dimensional characters within the 3rd dimensional world. YOu get to hang out with them, spend time with them, and get to know them, unlike in previous installments where it was job after job without much context inbetween. The cheats have been improved, not by variations, but how you can use them. NOw, you can "dial" the cheats, and once doing so, are implemented permanently on your "cell phone", which can be activated instantly, a much more faster and efficient method than learning a combo move in other installments. And with your phone, you have access to much more implementations around the world, such as calling the cops, taking "pictures", or even delving in the curiosity of your friends phone messages. Combat has greatly improved, with much better cover systems, aiming, and fluency between combat situations. There are no more awkward first person shooting galleries, which helps especially when dealing with a massive crowd. The weapon variation has diminished greatly, however, with only 2 sets of weapons and one special weapon (rpg). Ragdoll physics upon car impacts are greatly improved as well, although running into multiple targets causes major bog with the FPS, both on console and pc (much greater on console, and haven't played the PC, so this is why I am reviewing through Xbox 360). Car damage is much more detailed and exciting, rather than from simplistic skirt and hood tears, the detail being so great that it could contend with Burnout games. Overall, GTA IV was a major improvement on some of the tripes of the originals, and while the fun of the game may had weined in or just substituted for it's massive and varied multiplayer system, it surely hadn't died away. And who knows? GTA V might bring both the fun, over-amped excitement of the originals, while maintaining the fluent and 3rd dimensional characterization and combat from this new installment. Expand
  29. Sep 2, 2012
    a great game and has a very very good story line.
    hours of fun running over pedestrians in a ice cream truck or kidnapping hookers then beating them to death with a a baseball bat.
    the multiplayer is fun but has to many cheating moders/hackers mainly freezing the game and spoiling the fun.
    but still in general a awesome game
  30. Dec 31, 2013
    A quarta parte de uma das franquias mais inovadoras do mundo dos game certamente uma das melhores tanto em suas história e personagens e seus gráficos incríveis.
  31. May 1, 2014
    Watch cutscenes for 20 minutes. Drive somebody somewhere through a barren, empty wasteland for 10 minutes. Follow a car for 5 minutes, get too close, start mission over from a spot 20 minutes away. Do this 12 times. Change clothes. 10 minute cutscene. Drive 10 minutes to a clumsily controlled 3rd person shootout. Run a hooker over or something supposedly hilarious. Drive someone inWatch cutscenes for 20 minutes. Drive somebody somewhere through a barren, empty wasteland for 10 minutes. Follow a car for 5 minutes, get too close, start mission over from a spot 20 minutes away. Do this 12 times. Change clothes. 10 minute cutscene. Drive 10 minutes to a clumsily controlled 3rd person shootout. Run a hooker over or something supposedly hilarious. Drive someone in a taxi somwhere. 10 minute cutscene. 20 minute cutscene. Drive an ambulance off a roof. Yep, another cutscene. You get the drift. The writing, characters, story and such are top notch, but the actual game itself is a steaming pile of dogsh*t used to fill in the gaping holes in between all of it Expand
  32. Aug 7, 2013
    I get it. I really do

This game is awesome and takes all that is good from the previous GTA entries and makes it great and makes it bigger. Nevermind the obvious graphical upgrade, the story is more realistic. Its just, I have seen this before. I'm not as invested this time around. I don't want to be an immigrant that comes over to my country to terrorize my country to get paid. I
    I get it. I really do

I liked San Andreas ability to truly customize my playable character through clothes and body type.

The radio stuff isn't as good and for a story that is supposed to be so believable, the totality of what Niko gets away with in terms of destruction is absolutely ludicrous.

The missions drag for me and have been done before in previous GTA's. The unlocking of new places in the city is predictable and expected.

I think that is my problem with this; for all of its grandeur, most of it I totally expected. I knew what I was getting into through and through and that was the problem for me.

Its a great game for somebody else and I get that. But for me its just a really good game
  33. Jun 11, 2014
    I know a lot of people loved this game and it got a lot of hype, but I dont think it was all that great. Yes the graphics were amazing (for the time), and yes the cars got A LOT better. But the only thing is it was kind of a let down. I know it looks a lot better, the graphics, the cars, the missions, but people forgot to look at somethings. The fact that they took out so much from whatI know a lot of people loved this game and it got a lot of hype, but I dont think it was all that great. Yes the graphics were amazing (for the time), and yes the cars got A LOT better. But the only thing is it was kind of a let down. I know it looks a lot better, the graphics, the cars, the missions, but people forgot to look at somethings. The fact that they took out so much from what was in the previous GTA'S like San Andreas. They did add a lot of things, and it does look a lot nicer but they took away too much stuff that the bordism kind of took place often. Now im not saying this game sucks or anything like that, im just saying it was kind of a big let down. Although there were a lot of cool new features. The graphics had a HUGE improvement. And the story was an actual story. Recommendation level: 6/10. Expand
  34. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is pretty damn easy.... Maybe it was because I was a bit younger, but San Andreas was a hard game for me! This game was (I believe) the first big release from GTA to be in HD and not 3D, and I have to say... It looks pretty good. For the story in this game, it is decent, but the game play is great and saves the story. And my problem with this game settles in the multiplayer. IThis game is pretty damn easy.... Maybe it was because I was a bit younger, but San Andreas was a hard game for me! This game was (I believe) the first big release from GTA to be in HD and not 3D, and I have to say... It looks pretty good. For the story in this game, it is decent, but the game play is great and saves the story. And my problem with this game settles in the multiplayer. I don't know about the other platforms, but on the Xbox this is FULL of hackers and people that will teleport you randomly and freeze your system. The other 60 of the players shoot you the second you spawn in. I don't see the fun in that! This game was fun, but not nearly good enough for the 98 meta-score and definitely not as good as I thought it was back in '09 Expand
  35. Sep 28, 2013
    Grand theft auto IV tiene sus cosas como buena jugabilidad, buenas graficas entre otros factores importantes en un juego, sin embargo no se ateiene a aceptar una buena historia como es la simple historia de la traicion cada 10 segundos entre negros, es un desastre la historia, sin embar va por buena causa
  36. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the best game ever made in the World, go rockstar
    people that doesn t like this sorts of game give it bad score shame on you Spela inte spel f-- h------ d-.
  37. May 31, 2013
    For eveyone who hates this game i will tell you to please reconsidder and actually PLAY IT for a longer period of time! Messing with the cops and pedestrians is still fun. Doing stunts with bikes and cars are in my opinion even more fun thanks to the new engine. And doing awesome yet simple drifts and such with vehicles is just so much fun because of the realistic feel of the cars. YouFor eveyone who hates this game i will tell you to please reconsidder and actually PLAY IT for a longer period of time! Messing with the cops and pedestrians is still fun. Doing stunts with bikes and cars are in my opinion even more fun thanks to the new engine. And doing awesome yet simple drifts and such with vehicles is just so much fun because of the realistic feel of the cars. You tell yourself after a perfect drift ''i did that! And it was awesome!''. It's just great fun if you get used to the different direction in gameplay.

I love this game and will always do and HOPEFULLY gta 5 will be even greater. And by the way, to the haters, it will keep the realistic feel of this game. Most likely all the future main entries of the series will. So i guess you will just have to say goodbye to rockstar.
  38. Jun 5, 2013
    This is an amazing game. Epic single player, epic multiplayer. Seriously, i don't know what these negative reviews are saying or thinking, but take it from me, its AMAZING
  39. Jun 19, 2013
    It Grand Theft Auto that should cover the review already. I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted playing mulitplayer with my friends. Rock Star cannot disappoint they crafted a great well thought out game with great game-play.
  40. Jun 27, 2013
    GTA IV is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but to say it is overrated is a MASSIVE understatement. I have played and completed all GTA games numerous of times and enjoyed them all, but this isn't even the best GTA, nevermind the best game I've played. I completed this twice and chose different routes/paths in the storyline both times. I played this probably more than any other gameGTA IV is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but to say it is overrated is a MASSIVE understatement. I have played and completed all GTA games numerous of times and enjoyed them all, but this isn't even the best GTA, nevermind the best game I've played. I completed this twice and chose different routes/paths in the storyline both times. I played this probably more than any other game because it was a great way to spend time but I can't see what some others see when they say it's the "best game they've ever played'. They must've played some shocking games to say this is the best. Driving is good and the selection of cars is broad and the shooting isn't too bad. I did enjoy the multiplayer more than the single player but what really lets it down for me is after you've completed it. I have a total of 105+ hours of game-time which is a lot, but most of that was after completing the game. I spent hour after hour roaming around the map wondering what to do and could find nothing other than enjoy the odd game of bowling or go around shooting all the pigeons for an achievement the achievements were the only thing keeping me playing it. There should've been something extra at the end something to keep you engaged once you have completed the storyline a couple of times but there wasn't. This is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but you can easily get tired of it, and just because I'm calling it OVERRATED, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, because I did. 7/10. Expand
  41. Sep 1, 2013
    Great Game ...Great features...Great graphics..The controls are easy to master. Scenery is good. Scenarios are awesome. The weapons are amazing but some features from its previous successors are missing such as the gym and many more. This game's worth buying and playing but it deservedly shouldn't deserve to get any awards.
  42. Aug 10, 2013
    the game doesn´t make honorable to the GTA franchise, the story in itself its awesome but besides the missions the game doesn´t has much to offer, compared to the other Rockstar´s games this is one of the worst of them.
  43. Aug 20, 2013
    Since five years ago I can't stop playing this game. The best game of the consoles until GTAV.
    No other game has got me into the story and in the gameplay. No other game has that ragdoll physics. Feels real.
  44. Aug 25, 2013
    Very nice story, and online. The graphics are awesome, the whole game is awesome. It was definitely worth the wait. Can't wait the Grand Theft Auto 5 now :D
  45. Ed_
    Apr 13, 2015
    BEST GTA EVER.

The new GTA 5 is not even comparable to this game.
    Best story, gameplay and you can sympathize with the game character. You get everything.
    Niko is my favorite!
  46. Sep 16, 2013
    I found the game very dull and difficult to get through. The city was very bland and graphically unimpressive.
    The gameplay it self, shooting, driving etc was very boring. The city was boring......the fact that it was just a empty shell really..
  47. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the most ambitious games ever produced. TASTE LIKE CHICKEN MY COP THIS GAME! EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME DIP IN OIL WITH SOME SEASONING KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? I WONDER WHERE DAT PIZZA HUT IS TOO?
  48. Oct 19, 2013
    grand theft auto 4 is one of the best games I've ever played in my life, it is an almost perfect game, but its only shortcoming is that compared to grand theft auto earlier this game has fewer customizations.
  49. Oct 29, 2013
    The most overrated piece of in its franchise. And no, I'm not the only rational being stating this. Through all these GTA fanboys, there's still plenty of ppl admitting to the fact that GTA IV has been SERIOUSLY overrated, and when I say seriously, I mean: SERIOUSLY!
  50. Nov 2, 2013
    THE GOOD: Niko is a cool character. The map has some cool landmarks that can make it interesting. Map can be fun to explore.

THE BAD: There are a large amount of issues in this game. The cars control badly, like slippery boats. The game definitely looks like an X360 game but graphics are still not all that visually pleasing. The game removes so much from GTA San Andreas. San Andreas had mountains, countrysides, deserts, small towns, and big cities. GTA IV, on the other hand, is just one city. Gun mechanics could be much more responsive. Way too many cops in this game, which can limit freedom to do crazy stuff. There are performance issues that are annoying. For example, when you drive fast, sometimes you can run into invisible objects, which are textures that have not appeared yet. Cheat codes are also hard to access at critical times because they are put in the in-game phone. When you are trying to put in a cheat code a cop can shoot you and make you automatically put the phone away. It is extremely annoying and once again, limits freedom. There are only a few outfits available to change your character into, which is a disappointment because San Andreas allowed you to change clothes, haircuts, and tattoos in a variety of ways. GTA IV just doesn't do the one thing that is necessary for an open-world game, ALLOW FREEDOM.

Very overrated game. At its best, it can be worth renting to enjoy the things it does get right. Rent it.
  51. Nov 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV, has an amazing story line, there are many action packed missions involving many different unique characters as well as completely different situations. The three-dimensional graphics were good. The sound quality was average, I enjoyed driving the vehicles around just to listen to the sound of their engines, it was beautiful.

The multiplayer was generally

The multiplayer was generally entertaining; I have had many great times with my friends while playing this game. The different activities in multiplayer were entertaining, such as, “GTA Race” or “Cops & Robbers”
    Although there are some slight problems, such as, when driving any vehicle in single player or multiplayer the controls are a little wacky. It was difficult to turn the headlights on or off as well as to turn the radio off.

I do enjoy playing this game with or without people; therefore I give this game a 7/10.
  52. Nov 14, 2013
    The game is close to perfect or in-fact perfect in my opinion. It blew me away. The story was very well-written and the characters fit in nicely. The City is simply breathtaking and this deserves a higher user score. Hats of to Rockstar for creating such a master piece.
  53. Dec 23, 2013
    its a good game overall, gorgeous and fast cars, funny at times but one of the biggest cheats i've ever encountered when it comes to missions. very dissapointed.
  54. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is overrated. It's rated as the best game of all time by the critics but in reality this game is nothing special. The graphics in this game lack color and they are full browns and grays and this game looks washed out. The graphics are average for a 2008 game.The sound design is pretty average and the voice acting is atrocious. The plot is somewhat interesting but the charactersThis game is overrated. It's rated as the best game of all time by the critics but in reality this game is nothing special. The graphics in this game lack color and they are full browns and grays and this game looks washed out. The graphics are average for a 2008 game.The sound design is pretty average and the voice acting is atrocious. The plot is somewhat interesting but the characters are uninspired and bland. The missions range from being fun to boring escort tasks. The gameplay is alright. It's not a great third person shooter but it's not bad either. Overall it's an average game and the worst Grand Theft Auto. Expand
  55. Feb 16, 2014
    Just 3 words. One big masterpiece!!!!!!

But forget about the boat like car handling and some of the unnecessary features like sex appeal and fat in. San Andreas.
  56. Jan 21, 2014
    Wow. GTA IV is absolutely perfect!
    I simply can not express how much I love this game. Besides its heavily improved graphics (compared to its predecessors), the game also offers a fantastic story and great protagonist, Niko Bellic. Multiplayer mode is enjoyable and there's just enough room to cause chaos if you wish to do so.
    But this game is not just about free-roaming around Liberty
    Wow. GTA IV is absolutely perfect!
    But this game is not just about free-roaming around Liberty City and killing pedestrians. It is more dependant on its story. That's why I think some people were slightly disappointed about this game.
    It's really not similar to other GTA titles, but it still amazes me. I think this game deserves every recognition it gets and every high rating it obtains. Because it's simply amazing!
  57. Dec 7, 2014
    I know this is a bit late but, I just had to put this out there. This must seriously be the most overrated game in existence. 98/100 on critics reviews? Seriously??

This is a good game, no doubt, But one of the highest rated of all time? How much did Rockstar pay reviewers for this, I guess none will ever know. This game in no way comes close to the best in the series, Vice City,

This game in no way comes close to the best in the series, Vice City, which was close to perfection, at least in this genre. I just can't fathom what reviewers were thinking.

Again, I'm not hating on the game, it is definitely good, maybe even great. But a masterpiece? I guess the user-reviews are the most reliable source of critics for this game.
  58. Mar 8, 2014
    A lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous.
  59. Feb 18, 2014
    The worst game in the GTA series! The history is boring, the engine is poor, mobility is the worst, missions are boring! The worst bet of Rockstar! I consider lower than the average!
  60. Feb 24, 2014
    The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission,The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission, you have to redo everything, you even have to drive to your destination.
    Another flaw is that the game's protagonist Niko Bellic who feels very flat and boring. The opposite could be said about Tommy Vercetti in GTA: Vice City.

There are certainly some good things to say about GTA IV, but because of the things I mentioned above do so that everything else relevant end up in the background. The great city that you will have access to will not be interesting if you can not move in it without getting pissed.
  61. Jul 16, 2014
    "Grand Theft Auto IV" is the most overrated title of the Xbox 360 generation. The game is fun, yes. And it has an unbelievable amount of content, including it's own TV shows and internet. The game is also incredibly boring for long stretches of time and stiffly animated to the point of making motion in the original Xbox look cutting edge.

I know what's going on. GTAIV has an epic and

I know what's going on. GTAIV has an epic and cinematic start. The first few missions of petty beatdowns and car theft are fun. The characters are interesting in a way most video game characters are not. That's about as far as most reviewers go. If you play the game the whole way through, like me, you suffer through long car rides between missions, missions that repeat from the start due to random deaths, and string of boring dates and man-dates. Statistics show that most GTAIV players will not finish the game, and I cannot blame them.

GTAIV ultimately proves that a bigger sandbox is not a funner sandbox. Hardly any buildings can be entered, so the game world is one big fake parking lot. Police chases escalate quickly but always end with Niko running out of range or paying a small fine after exploding in his car. And the story really does drag on to long to the point where I really stop caring so much about Niko and only about my own obsessive need to finish every game I buy. Really, I would rather write about how great this game (I am giving it an 8!), but this GTAIV isn't an underdog story.
  62. Oct 25, 2014
    For its time, a remarkable achievement. GTA IV set the benchmark for the modern sandbox game, merging great open-world gameplay with a scathing, but hilarious satire on the nature of Western consumerism. A+
  63. Sep 19, 2014
    Maybe it's my fault that I have had a horrible time playing through this game. I have a curse for running into numerous bugs and mission-breaks throughout many of my play-throughs. Either that or this game is so terrible that it shows all that is ugly and wrong with our modern gaming journalists, countless of which proceeded to give this game a perfect rating. Now I know that this game isMaybe it's my fault that I have had a horrible time playing through this game. I have a curse for running into numerous bugs and mission-breaks throughout many of my play-throughs. Either that or this game is so terrible that it shows all that is ugly and wrong with our modern gaming journalists, countless of which proceeded to give this game a perfect rating. Now I know that this game is a bit outdated, but 2008 was still a damn good year for videogames and I have truthfully not played a game this mind-numbingly dreadful in a long time. I am not trolling, I am being genuinely honest about my opinions for this game. I'm just saying exactly what I thought about it when playing through and I have nothing against the developers, the controversial stuff, or the franchise as a whole.
    How anyone can rate this 10/10 is beyond me. The game simply isn't fun, nor does it excel in any particular areas. At the start of the game I was really excited to play through it and had positive opinions and expectations after the countless reviews and awards I'd seen it receive. I've only recently played any of the GTA games so this was the first one that I got to truly sit down and play through properly. The first issue that I had was something that flawed the game greatly right from the start: the vehicles. They control like crap, feeling like they're floating on a pocket of air and having horribly ineffective brakes and stiff hand brakes. This ruins most of the game for me, as the main missions have a huge focus on driving sections and a lot of your fun you'd expect to come from outrunning cops. But with these **** stiff driving mechanics it's scary to go over 20mph in-game because you're doomed to crash at the next minor turn.
    Secondly, the story is massively overrated. I couldn't give a blind **** about any of the characters, especially Niko who, instead of feeling like badass criminal with moral dilemmas and awesome lines to make him at least memorable, really feels like a completely lifeless **** who spends the game doing petty [law-breaking] chores for his lazy, **** cousin. I couldn't bring myself to connect with any of the cardboard characters, even when I tried, hard.
    Thirdly, and this is probably the biggest problem, the ****ing checkpoint system sucks balls. I cannot count the amount of times I have quitted the game pissed off at this ****ing terrible checkpoint system. Why does it suck so hard? Because there essentially are no checkpoints for most of the missions in the game. You'll play through a boring sequence and then have to chase or shoot a guy, or outrun the cops and which point you'll likely fail or die because, despite it being an open world game, everything feels incredibly trial-and-error-based. So when you fail you have to start the whole mission all over again right from the start and worse, if you die you respawn outside the nearest hospital (which is retarded and makes no ****ing sense because you've usually been shot by the police) and then have to travel in your floaty-ass car to your mission start point and do everything all over again. This has been a problem with other previous Rockstar titles (such as Bully: Scholarship Edition) but it's amplified here because the missions are a lot less imaginative or enjoyable and with the dreadful driving mechanics you're gonna fail a lot more often.
    They're the main problems I have with this game, but all of my other annoyances essentially boil down to how shockingly unoriginal everything truly is. There are far better open world games out there, even ones that came out in or before 2008, like Oblivion, Bully and Saints Row 2. Rockstar is, in my opinion, a great developer, but this is easily their worst work. I'm baffled by the reviews for this game and I do wonder if many of the critics were bribed to give it such untruthfully high scores. Nothing here ever impressed me and I couldn't stop saying out loud how bad this game was at times. It was overall a chore to play through and that should never be the case. **** this game.
  64. Nov 19, 2015
    GTA IV is a great game. The storyline is awesome, environments beatifull and I find myself having alot of fun just crusing around and playing the story. The multiplayer isnt engaging to my taste. I would have been thriled to be able to paly Co-Op, but the multiplayer is decent. From Cops and Rooks to mini missions to satisfy the lack of Co-Op, GTA IV is just an awesome game and worth buying.
  65. Aug 6, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto IV is an incredible sandbox game with an amazing story. The main aspect of the game is the story, it's a pretty good one. The story has a few twists here and there and the characters are great too. Grand Theft Auto IV focuses more on the story and missions rather than activities to do outside of the story. There's not a whole lot to do except go to a restaurant or bowingGrand Theft Auto IV is an incredible sandbox game with an amazing story. The main aspect of the game is the story, it's a pretty good one. The story has a few twists here and there and the characters are great too. Grand Theft Auto IV focuses more on the story and missions rather than activities to do outside of the story. There's not a whole lot to do except go to a restaurant or bowing or something. The complaint I have about gameplay is that there's absolutely nothing to spend your money on. A person could easily accumulate over $750,000 but there's nothing to buy except weapons and clothes. The technical complaint I have is that the driving isn't the greatest. I feel like my vehicle is going to tip over or drift off around the corner at any time. The multiplayer of Grand Theft Auto IV is pretty great. It's fun to hang out with everyone in free roam or do some racing and missions, it's a blast. Grand Theft Auto IV is a great installment of the series for its compelling story, and it also introduced multiplayer for the better of the series, it's an amazing game. Expand
  66. Aug 14, 2014
    I don't know why this game got a score of 98. From the three GTAs I've played this one is my least favorite. In my opinion San Andreas and Vice City are way better than GTA IV. I missed the fun from the previous games in this one.
  67. Sep 28, 2014
    Technologically, this game is as near perfect as pre-2010 games could get. Massive attention to details, an early yet entertaining euphoria physics engine, above average graphics, it had what many sandbox games at the time could only dream of. Story wise, I found the serious turn in the main plot and hints of dry and immature humor to be a welcomed change to the over-the-top stories inTechnologically, this game is as near perfect as pre-2010 games could get. Massive attention to details, an early yet entertaining euphoria physics engine, above average graphics, it had what many sandbox games at the time could only dream of. Story wise, I found the serious turn in the main plot and hints of dry and immature humor to be a welcomed change to the over-the-top stories in games prior. Without going into detail, the opening, decisions, and conclusions in the base Grand Theft Auto IV experience were enjoyable without being as predictable as branched stories tend to be. So far GTA IV is a damn good game.

What sets many off of GTA IV is the lacking gameplay. Uninteresting and repetitive missions, non-existent customization options and what some would even call a smaller playground left many gamers with experience in the last generation of Grand Theft Auto games dissatisfied with the main run in GTA IV and the lesser re-playability.

In my opinion, GTA IV was a technological masterpiece with a great story but was held back slightly by its inferior gameplay in comparison to its predecessor San Andreas. Does it make it awful? No. Free play in the luscious HD version of Liberty City is still fun and the main story is worthwhile also, however, the burning image of San Andreas made IV pale in comparison. Had this game been developed elsewhere it would have landed a 9/10 easily, however, Rockstar's reputation left many disappointment with the first of two seventh generation Grand Theft Autos.

8/10: Great, but not better.
  68. Nov 16, 2014
    This is a very good game it is very interesting and fun I didn't expect it would be this very good the weapons are good but the bad thing about it is the missions they could of made it more easier.
  69. Nov 23, 2014
    Liberty City has undergone an amazing HD transformation from Grand Theft Auto III, and compared to 3D GTA, GTA IV is huge, although GTA San Andreas is to compete with. The graphics, shooting mechanics and driving physics in the game are a great improvement from previous GTA Games but there are some cons
    The storyline is cliche and not that good. There is a fair share of glitches (Catapult swing set being the funniest) and pop-in is very annoying.
    Also GTA IV has devolved from GTA San Andreas as there are no planes, no diversity like the countryside or the sea and not being able to buy houses.
    Oh and Roman Bellic always calling you asking 'To go bowling' This really sucked. They should add a blocking feature on the phone
    But I still enjoyed this game, I couldn't put it down and so I give this game a strong 6
  70. Dec 1, 2014
    This is nice video-gaming. Lots of things to do, the story folds out pretty well, lots of violence, car crashes, prostitutes and overtime. It's kind of a peculiar game if you think about it. At the beginning you keep wondering why the hell am I going through all these deliveries and stuff. After a couple of hours you have a few contacts and they're not in for anything good and fair. So youThis is nice video-gaming. Lots of things to do, the story folds out pretty well, lots of violence, car crashes, prostitutes and overtime. It's kind of a peculiar game if you think about it. At the beginning you keep wondering why the hell am I going through all these deliveries and stuff. After a couple of hours you have a few contacts and they're not in for anything good and fair. So you decide to come along.

The characters are so well made and wonderfully portrayed. judging this game as simply dumb gaming is somewhat wrong. There's a lot going on for this title to be missed and not looked upon.
    The odd menus and the fact the city sometimes feels dead with nothing actually gameplay-wise interesting to perform. But hey, everyone has its problems, right?
  71. Jun 22, 2015
    I won't say much, i had lots of fun with this one, but this game is all about driving cars and shooting, it may get boring a bit, but the story is worth it.
  72. Jan 1, 2015
    Overall GTA IV is a good game. It has a good story that keeps you interested for a while. Definitely a must have if you like the Grand Theft Auto series. You play as Niko Bellic a immigrant that gets involved in the criminal world, you have to work your way up as a professional criminal. So get this game if you just love a all around great action/adventure game.
  73. Feb 18, 2015
    MY MOST FAVORITE and MOST memorable Grand Theft Auto in the WHOLE SERIES! THIS WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST ONE AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE BEST GRAND THEFT AUTO HANDS DOWN
  74. Aug 31, 2015
    amazing game. love the gta series. if you are a big fan of gta pick this one up. this game is a lot of fun to play it has funny voice acting and great mission design
  75. May 8, 2015
    An absolute masterpiece of a game in every respect possible. It has amazing game play, great graphics, and provides an endlessly fun experience that you will love, guaranteed. It's worth every single penny you put into buying it. Free Roam is easily the best feature of the game, but the story is also worthy of mention. It's amazing. Just buy it.
  76. Jul 4, 2015
    now i have not beat grand theft auto 4 in a long time but my memories are clear of how great it was!!! i spent 49 hours in this game dude for some perspective it took me about 23 hours to beat gta 5 thats why this game has a higher score then gta 5. the story is incredible and you feel emotion for whats happening! nikko bellic is a man who just left a world of crime and warfare. he heresnow i have not beat grand theft auto 4 in a long time but my memories are clear of how great it was!!! i spent 49 hours in this game dude for some perspective it took me about 23 hours to beat gta 5 thats why this game has a higher score then gta 5. the story is incredible and you feel emotion for whats happening! nikko bellic is a man who just left a world of crime and warfare. he heres the word that his cousin roman is living what this games definition of what the american dream is. but once he gets there he finds the opposite roman is i lying drunk man who is balls deep in debt with loan sharks and other criminal scum of the city. after saving him you are kidnapped and have 2 missions do what ever it takes to keep roman alive and finding that american dream! that story is so awesome and its really fun to see how bad it gets for our 2 characters. you will make tuff choices in the game as well that screw with your emotions this is the first gta were instead of it just being an action game it has enough fun and a focus on story telling to be diffrant and include all that other fun. now the reason gta 5 seems a bit more fun is because its more free and has so much to do in its world in this game if your tired of a crappy mission you hang with roman and get drunk or play darts or go bowling thats about it main story or booze because its the only fun side thing to do. i would talk of the online modes but i really shouldn't everyone is playing gta 5 online so if your planning on buying this game witch you really should make sure your in it for some missions. but again grand theft auto is pure gold here and its a ton of fun and the story is good so go and check it out. im so done with people saying that gta 5 is better because it has something like tennis or the online mode but what rockstar games did was cover your ungrateful ass and make the game worth 60 dollars just with the story mode! gta v has 69 missions and 20 side ones that areint that great they put so much of the game in the online mode that has 70 more missions and so on gta 5 is worth every penny if you pay for online bullcrap its about the shadiest scam i have seen thats why gta v gets a 9 out of ten and this gets a 10 end of story! Expand
  77. Nov 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I really loved this game. It in every way blew me away. A captivating, epic, and deep storyline keeps you into it the entire way through. Me trying to find at least one thing to complain about. Nothing. This game really deserves GOTY. And I really have to say Niko Bellic is the only character in the GTA series that you can truly connect with. Understanding his difficult life and mis-adventures you can really feel his emotions. And for a free-roaming game they really knocked me out. The free roaming really is amazing. Its awesome how they can have such a nice, luminous city and still have amazing and almost flawless graphics. As for the multi-player, I didn't really play it that much but i love the fact that you can roam around Liberty City causing as much mayhem as you want. The ranked matches are good too, with death-match (etc...) it was pretty cool to see that in a GTA game. Surely I can truly say that you have not experienced free-roam/sandbox games until you have played GTA IV. Expand
  78. Aug 29, 2015
    GTA IV improves many aspects of the gameplay and physics about the franchise. It also presents a decent story, with good voice acting and some good characters. The cover mechanic is drastically improved, and the driving mechanics and overall physics are much more realistic.
    However, it fails in provide the same amount of features present in the previous title (GTA San Andreas). Most of the customization options are gone or limited, there are only a couple clothes Niko can wear in the game and the vehicles customization doesn't exist (you can only change the color). The number of vehicles was reduced, especially due to the removal of airplanes (You can see airplanes in the game, but cannot fly in one). The RPG elements that were present in San Andreas is gone, you can eat as many hot-dogs you as you wish, but Niko will maintain the same body type. Different fight styles were removed as well.
    The map is also one of the biggest flaws of this game: it is lifeless and smaller than San Andreas.
    In the end GTA IV is one of the most “realistic” GTA with it brand new physics engine, in the other hand it is the less customizable and fun to play, which in my point of view are the tow characteristics that define the franchise. The game still better than most games out there, with its good mechanics and gameplay, but it for sure the worst GTA I have played.
  79. Sep 5, 2015
    Gta IV was good but not 98. it had so many missions where you do things for roman and Gta V is better ( GTA V is also great but not 97 ,I'd rate it at a 92-93)
  80. Nov 27, 2015
    Grand theft auto IV was the 2nd best Gta game in the whole pack type deal, the first on vice city because I loved and I mean loved the campaign a lot. So Gta 4 had a bloody, action, sexy, and brutal campaign which was amazing. And I was a great game, 9-10 right there.
  81. Feb 20, 2016
    ótimo jogo, joguei muito ele no xbox 360, salvei o jogo e gostei da história, mas nada se compara a zoeira, nossa, perdi as contas de quantas vezes eu joguei granadas naquele hospital. roubar o helhicoptero do heliporto, roubar a viatura da polícia e prender os criminosos, quebrar as cancelas do pedágio pra não precisar pagar, colocar um carro no meio da rua pra gerar trânsito e depoisótimo jogo, joguei muito ele no xbox 360, salvei o jogo e gostei da história, mas nada se compara a zoeira, nossa, perdi as contas de quantas vezes eu joguei granadas naquele hospital. roubar o helhicoptero do heliporto, roubar a viatura da polícia e prender os criminosos, quebrar as cancelas do pedágio pra não precisar pagar, colocar um carro no meio da rua pra gerar trânsito e depois explodir tudo com a bazuca. tacar granada nas lanchonetes, tacar granadas no boliche. empurrar os outros na linha do trem. só não gostei de duas coisas, 1 - o jogo continua com aquele bug do carro sumir do lugar onde eu estaciono. 2 - a cidade é muito cinza. Expand
  82. Mar 20, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has to be the most annoying/frustrating game I have ever played! It is a chaw to play any of the missions or side missions. The controlls have to be the worst in a video game. The gameplay is SO repetitive, who would want to run around the map looking for 200 pigeons!? The only the redeeming factors are: the map (which is so fun to explore), and the subway (I loved just riding around in them, I know I am weird!). Maybe if I played this game when it first came out I may have liked it more, considering the amount of 10/10 review scores this has. If you're looking to play a GTA game, definitely play Grand Theft Auto V (maybe the best game ever made)! Expand
  83. May 9, 2016
    Has to be one of the best games i have every played. I was so hooked on it for a good 4-6 years before it got boring, and i played it everyday for those years. It's a game you can put your mind to work on, no it isn't Grand Theft Auto V where you can customize your cars or fly jets, but that's what i like about it. You can really put your mind to work, because there is so much to do in this game.
  84. May 15, 2016
    Actually, this GTA game one of the best in series. Wonderful and sad storyline, wonderful grapics for 2008, yeah and the Liberty City - my favorite city in GTA. Much better for GTA V with her worst storyline
  85. Jun 3, 2016
    + Amazing "alive" world
    + Great Visuals and attention to detail.
    + Awesome Multiplayer
    + Great story and characters
    + Fun controls = Fun Gameplay

- Mission structure was a bit archaic.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.