7.9

1. Ed_
    Apr 13, 2015
    BEST GTA EVER.

The new GTA 5 is not even comparable to this game.
    Best story, gameplay and you can sympathize with the game character. You get everything.
    Niko is my favorite!
  2. Feb 18, 2015
    MY MOST FAVORITE and MOST memorable Grand Theft Auto in the WHOLE SERIES! THIS WAS THE ABSOLUTE BEST ONE AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE BEST GRAND THEFT AUTO HANDS DOWN
  3. Jan 14, 2015
    I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don'tI don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it.I don't like it. Expand
  4. Jan 1, 2015
    Overall GTA IV is a good game. It has a good story that keeps you interested for a while. Definitely a must have if you like the Grand Theft Auto series. You play as Niko Bellic a immigrant that gets involved in the criminal world, you have to work your way up as a professional criminal. So get this game if you just love a all around great action/adventure game.
  5. Dec 17, 2014
    An epic gangster fable on a grandiose scale, Grand Theft Auto IV is undoubtedly one of the greatest games ever played, mixing tough-as-nails characters, a fully-realised story (in the vein of The Godfather) and a fantastic free-roaming ability. This here, is an odyssey and a gratifying adventure. This is an experience!,
  6. Dec 7, 2014
    I know this is a bit late but, I just had to put this out there. This must seriously be the most overrated game in existence. 98/100 on critics reviews? Seriously??

This is a good game, no doubt, But one of the highest rated of all time? How much did Rockstar pay reviewers for this, I guess none will ever know. This game in no way comes close to the best in the series, Vice City,

This game in no way comes close to the best in the series, Vice City, which was close to perfection, at least in this genre. I just can't fathom what reviewers were thinking.

Again, I'm not hating on the game, it is definitely good, maybe even great. But a masterpiece? I guess the user-reviews are the most reliable source of critics for this game.
  7. Dec 1, 2014
    This is nice video-gaming. Lots of things to do, the story folds out pretty well, lots of violence, car crashes, prostitutes and overtime. It's kind of a peculiar game if you think about it. At the beginning you keep wondering why the hell am I going through all these deliveries and stuff. After a couple of hours you have a few contacts and they're not in for anything good and fair. So youThis is nice video-gaming. Lots of things to do, the story folds out pretty well, lots of violence, car crashes, prostitutes and overtime. It's kind of a peculiar game if you think about it. At the beginning you keep wondering why the hell am I going through all these deliveries and stuff. After a couple of hours you have a few contacts and they're not in for anything good and fair. So you decide to come along.

The characters are so well made and wonderfully portrayed. judging this game as simply dumb gaming is somewhat wrong. There's a lot going on for this title to be missed and not looked upon.
    The odd menus and the fact the city sometimes feels dead with nothing actually gameplay-wise interesting to perform. But hey, everyone has its problems, right?
  8. Nov 23, 2014
    Liberty City has undergone an amazing HD transformation from Grand Theft Auto III, and compared to 3D GTA, GTA IV is huge, although GTA San Andreas is to compete with. The graphics, shooting mechanics and driving physics in the game are a great improvement from previous GTA Games but there are some cons
    The storyline is cliche and not that good. There is a fair share of glitches (Catapult swing set being the funniest) and pop-in is very annoying.
    Also GTA IV has devolved from GTA San Andreas as there are no planes, no diversity like the countryside or the sea and not being able to buy houses.
    Oh and Roman Bellic always calling you asking 'To go bowling' This really sucked. They should add a blocking feature on the phone
    But I still enjoyed this game, I couldn't put it down and so I give this game a strong 6
  9. Nov 19, 2014
    This game was amazing and all but It wasn't addictive. I would play some missions, quit for a week or a month or so, and come back to play some more. I was amazed when I finally beat the thing probably a year after I bought it. Its a great game to come back to periodically. Add to the rotation.
  10. Nov 16, 2014
    This is a very good game it is very interesting and fun I didn't expect it would be this very good the weapons are good but the bad thing about it is the missions they could of made it more easier.
  11. Oct 25, 2014
    For its time, a remarkable achievement. GTA IV set the benchmark for the modern sandbox game, merging great open-world gameplay with a scathing, but hilarious satire on the nature of Western consumerism. A+
  12. Sep 28, 2014
    Technologically, this game is as near perfect as pre-2010 games could get. Massive attention to details, an early yet entertaining euphoria physics engine, above average graphics, it had what many sandbox games at the time could only dream of. Story wise, I found the serious turn in the main plot and hints of dry and immature humor to be a welcomed change to the over-the-top stories inTechnologically, this game is as near perfect as pre-2010 games could get. Massive attention to details, an early yet entertaining euphoria physics engine, above average graphics, it had what many sandbox games at the time could only dream of. Story wise, I found the serious turn in the main plot and hints of dry and immature humor to be a welcomed change to the over-the-top stories in games prior. Without going into detail, the opening, decisions, and conclusions in the base Grand Theft Auto IV experience were enjoyable without being as predictable as branched stories tend to be. So far GTA IV is a damn good game.

What sets many off of GTA IV is the lacking gameplay. Uninteresting and repetitive missions, non-existent customization options and what some would even call a smaller playground left many gamers with experience in the last generation of Grand Theft Auto games dissatisfied with the main run in GTA IV and the lesser re-playability.

In my opinion, GTA IV was a technological masterpiece with a great story but was held back slightly by its inferior gameplay in comparison to its predecessor San Andreas. Does it make it awful? No. Free play in the luscious HD version of Liberty City is still fun and the main story is worthwhile also, however, the burning image of San Andreas made IV pale in comparison. Had this game been developed elsewhere it would have landed a 9/10 easily, however, Rockstar's reputation left many disappointment with the first of two seventh generation Grand Theft Autos.

8/10: Great, but not better.
  13. Sep 19, 2014
    Maybe it's my fault that I have had a horrible time playing through this game. I have a curse for running into numerous bugs and mission-breaks throughout many of my play-throughs. Either that or this game is so terrible that it shows all that is ugly and wrong with our modern gaming journalists, countless of which proceeded to give this game a perfect rating. Now I know that this game isMaybe it's my fault that I have had a horrible time playing through this game. I have a curse for running into numerous bugs and mission-breaks throughout many of my play-throughs. Either that or this game is so terrible that it shows all that is ugly and wrong with our modern gaming journalists, countless of which proceeded to give this game a perfect rating. Now I know that this game is a bit outdated, but 2008 was still a damn good year for videogames and I have truthfully not played a game this mind-numbingly dreadful in a long time. I am not trolling, I am being genuinely honest about my opinions for this game. I'm just saying exactly what I thought about it when playing through and I have nothing against the developers, the controversial stuff, or the franchise as a whole.
    How anyone can rate this 10/10 is beyond me. The game simply isn't fun, nor does it excel in any particular areas. At the start of the game I was really excited to play through it and had positive opinions and expectations after the countless reviews and awards I'd seen it receive. I've only recently played any of the GTA games so this was the first one that I got to truly sit down and play through properly. The first issue that I had was something that flawed the game greatly right from the start: the vehicles. They control like crap, feeling like they're floating on a pocket of air and having horribly ineffective brakes and stiff hand brakes. This ruins most of the game for me, as the main missions have a huge focus on driving sections and a lot of your fun you'd expect to come from outrunning cops. But with these **** stiff driving mechanics it's scary to go over 20mph in-game because you're doomed to crash at the next minor turn.
    Secondly, the story is massively overrated. I couldn't give a blind **** about any of the characters, especially Niko who, instead of feeling like badass criminal with moral dilemmas and awesome lines to make him at least memorable, really feels like a completely lifeless **** who spends the game doing petty [law-breaking] chores for his lazy, **** cousin. I couldn't bring myself to connect with any of the cardboard characters, even when I tried, hard.
    Thirdly, and this is probably the biggest problem, the ****ing checkpoint system sucks balls. I cannot count the amount of times I have quitted the game pissed off at this ****ing terrible checkpoint system. Why does it suck so hard? Because there essentially are no checkpoints for most of the missions in the game. You'll play through a boring sequence and then have to chase or shoot a guy, or outrun the cops and which point you'll likely fail or die because, despite it being an open world game, everything feels incredibly trial-and-error-based. So when you fail you have to start the whole mission all over again right from the start and worse, if you die you respawn outside the nearest hospital (which is retarded and makes no ****ing sense because you've usually been shot by the police) and then have to travel in your floaty-ass car to your mission start point and do everything all over again. This has been a problem with other previous Rockstar titles (such as Bully: Scholarship Edition) but it's amplified here because the missions are a lot less imaginative or enjoyable and with the dreadful driving mechanics you're gonna fail a lot more often.
    They're the main problems I have with this game, but all of my other annoyances essentially boil down to how shockingly unoriginal everything truly is. There are far better open world games out there, even ones that came out in or before 2008, like Oblivion, Bully and Saints Row 2. Rockstar is, in my opinion, a great developer, but this is easily their worst work. I'm baffled by the reviews for this game and I do wonder if many of the critics were bribed to give it such untruthfully high scores. Nothing here ever impressed me and I couldn't stop saying out loud how bad this game was at times. It was overall a chore to play through and that should never be the case. **** this game.
  14. Aug 14, 2014
    I don't know why this game got a score of 98. From the three GTAs I've played this one is my least favorite. In my opinion San Andreas and Vice City are way better than GTA IV. I missed the fun from the previous games in this one.
  15. Aug 6, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto IV is an incredible sandbox game with an amazing story. The main aspect of the game is the story, it's a pretty good one. The story has a few twists here and there and the characters are great too. Grand Theft Auto IV focuses more on the story and missions rather than activities to do outside of the story. There's not a whole lot to do except go to a restaurant or bowingGrand Theft Auto IV is an incredible sandbox game with an amazing story. The main aspect of the game is the story, it's a pretty good one. The story has a few twists here and there and the characters are great too. Grand Theft Auto IV focuses more on the story and missions rather than activities to do outside of the story. There's not a whole lot to do except go to a restaurant or bowing or something. The complaint I have about gameplay is that there's absolutely nothing to spend your money on. A person could easily accumulate over $750,000 but there's nothing to buy except weapons and clothes. The technical complaint I have is that the driving isn't the greatest. I feel like my vehicle is going to tip over or drift off around the corner at any time. The multiplayer of Grand Theft Auto IV is pretty great. It's fun to hang out with everyone in free roam or do some racing and missions, it's a blast. Grand Theft Auto IV is a great installment of the series for its compelling story, and it also introduced multiplayer for the better of the series, it's an amazing game. Expand
  16. Jul 16, 2014
    "Grand Theft Auto IV" is the most overrated title of the Xbox 360 generation. The game is fun, yes. And it has an unbelievable amount of content, including it's own TV shows and internet. The game is also incredibly boring for long stretches of time and stiffly animated to the point of making motion in the original Xbox look cutting edge.

I know what's going on. GTAIV has an epic and

I know what's going on. GTAIV has an epic and cinematic start. The first few missions of petty beatdowns and car theft are fun. The characters are interesting in a way most video game characters are not. That's about as far as most reviewers go. If you play the game the whole way through, like me, you suffer through long car rides between missions, missions that repeat from the start due to random deaths, and string of boring dates and man-dates. Statistics show that most GTAIV players will not finish the game, and I cannot blame them.

GTAIV ultimately proves that a bigger sandbox is not a funner sandbox. Hardly any buildings can be entered, so the game world is one big fake parking lot. Police chases escalate quickly but always end with Niko running out of range or paying a small fine after exploding in his car. And the story really does drag on to long to the point where I really stop caring so much about Niko and only about my own obsessive need to finish every game I buy. Really, I would rather write about how great this game (I am giving it an 8!), but this GTAIV isn't an underdog story.
  17. Jun 14, 2014
    GTA IV's world is small compared to GTA V, but it has better graphics, because of night time, and this game also has cool DLCs that tell Luis'es and Johnny's story and tell Nicos sotry from other peoples perspective.
  18. Jun 11, 2014
    I know a lot of people loved this game and it got a lot of hype, but I dont think it was all that great. Yes the graphics were amazing (for the time), and yes the cars got A LOT better. But the only thing is it was kind of a let down. I know it looks a lot better, the graphics, the cars, the missions, but people forgot to look at somethings. The fact that they took out so much from whatI know a lot of people loved this game and it got a lot of hype, but I dont think it was all that great. Yes the graphics were amazing (for the time), and yes the cars got A LOT better. But the only thing is it was kind of a let down. I know it looks a lot better, the graphics, the cars, the missions, but people forgot to look at somethings. The fact that they took out so much from what was in the previous GTA'S like San Andreas. They did add a lot of things, and it does look a lot nicer but they took away too much stuff that the bordism kind of took place often. Now im not saying this game sucks or anything like that, im just saying it was kind of a big let down. Although there were a lot of cool new features. The graphics had a HUGE improvement. And the story was an actual story. Recommendation level: 6/10. Expand
  19. Jun 10, 2014
    The best game ever made on the xbox 360. Great story. Amazing open world with endless exploring. This game was well designed and a lot of thought was put into it's creation.
  20. May 1, 2014
    Watch cutscenes for 20 minutes. Drive somebody somewhere through a barren, empty wasteland for 10 minutes. Follow a car for 5 minutes, get too close, start mission over from a spot 20 minutes away. Do this 12 times. Change clothes. 10 minute cutscene. Drive 10 minutes to a clumsily controlled 3rd person shootout. Run a hooker over or something supposedly hilarious. Drive someone inWatch cutscenes for 20 minutes. Drive somebody somewhere through a barren, empty wasteland for 10 minutes. Follow a car for 5 minutes, get too close, start mission over from a spot 20 minutes away. Do this 12 times. Change clothes. 10 minute cutscene. Drive 10 minutes to a clumsily controlled 3rd person shootout. Run a hooker over or something supposedly hilarious. Drive someone in a taxi somwhere. 10 minute cutscene. 20 minute cutscene. Drive an ambulance off a roof. Yep, another cutscene. You get the drift. The writing, characters, story and such are top notch, but the actual game itself is a steaming pile of dogsh*t used to fill in the gaping holes in between all of it Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2014
    A lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous.
  22. Feb 24, 2014
    The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission,The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission, you have to redo everything, you even have to drive to your destination.
    Another flaw is that the game's protagonist Niko Bellic who feels very flat and boring. The opposite could be said about Tommy Vercetti in GTA: Vice City.

There are certainly some good things to say about GTA IV, but because of the things I mentioned above do so that everything else relevant end up in the background. The great city that you will have access to will not be interesting if you can not move in it without getting pissed.
  23. Feb 18, 2014
    The worst game in the GTA series! The history is boring, the engine is poor, mobility is the worst, missions are boring! The worst bet of Rockstar! I consider lower than the average!
  24. Feb 16, 2014
    Just 3 words. One big masterpiece!!!!!!

But forget about the boat like car handling and some of the unnecessary features like sex appeal and fat in. San Andreas.
  25. Jan 21, 2014
    Wow. GTA IV is absolutely perfect!
    I simply can not express how much I love this game. Besides its heavily improved graphics (compared to its predecessors), the game also offers a fantastic story and great protagonist, Niko Bellic. Multiplayer mode is enjoyable and there's just enough room to cause chaos if you wish to do so.
    But this game is not just about free-roaming around Liberty
    Wow. GTA IV is absolutely perfect!
    But this game is not just about free-roaming around Liberty City and killing pedestrians. It is more dependant on its story. That's why I think some people were slightly disappointed about this game.
    It's really not similar to other GTA titles, but it still amazes me. I think this game deserves every recognition it gets and every high rating it obtains. Because it's simply amazing!
  26. Jan 18, 2014
    It wasn't till the release of GTAV that I stopped playing GTAIV, literally the day before I was driving down the sidewalk of times square and throwing bodies everywhere with the hood of my car or punching a bum then hiding behind a business man so the bum hits him by mistake and then watch the following fight. This is a game I kept finding myself returning to because it is darkly fun whichIt wasn't till the release of GTAV that I stopped playing GTAIV, literally the day before I was driving down the sidewalk of times square and throwing bodies everywhere with the hood of my car or punching a bum then hiding behind a business man so the bum hits him by mistake and then watch the following fight. This is a game I kept finding myself returning to because it is darkly fun which is the tone of the whole series compared to San Andreas, the fun is darker, the art style is darker and so is the story. Niko Bellic is a top notch character and all the people you meet in Liberty City are also colourful and there is plenty of content to keep you busy for years and this is one of the few games where the DLC is actually meaty and worthwhile. This is not a perfect game, I nearly stopped playing it until I discovered the swing that throws you across the map, a lot of people complain that the driving is hard but I found it fun once you got used to it, my problem on the driving front was that New York does not have the best roads for fun cars. What makes GTAIV miss out on game of the year is the companion missions where you have to take one of the characters for a game of darts or something gay like that. Overall this game is jam packed with quality, I recommend thrashing this game till you have seen everything, especially the funny cartoons that can be found on the TV, the map isn't the best that Rockstar has produced but it is so full of content that a 10 is the only score I can give it. Expand
  27. Dec 31, 2013
    A quarta parte de uma das franquias mais inovadoras do mundo dos game certamente uma das melhores tanto em suas história e personagens e seus gráficos incríveis.
  28. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is overrated. It's rated as the best game of all time by the critics but in reality this game is nothing special. The graphics in this game lack color and they are full browns and grays and this game looks washed out. The graphics are average for a 2008 game.The sound design is pretty average and the voice acting is atrocious. The plot is somewhat interesting but the charactersThis game is overrated. It's rated as the best game of all time by the critics but in reality this game is nothing special. The graphics in this game lack color and they are full browns and grays and this game looks washed out. The graphics are average for a 2008 game.The sound design is pretty average and the voice acting is atrocious. The plot is somewhat interesting but the characters are uninspired and bland. The missions range from being fun to boring escort tasks. The gameplay is alright. It's not a great third person shooter but it's not bad either. Overall it's an average game and the worst Grand Theft Auto. Expand
  29. Dec 23, 2013
    its a good game overall, gorgeous and fast cars, funny at times but one of the biggest cheats i've ever encountered when it comes to missions. very dissapointed.
  30. Nov 27, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV is a great game with a great story, with much positive and some negative reception, from my thoughts, not the "professional" critics. In the game, the player follows the story of Niko Bellic, an Eastern European hellbent on vengeance against someone who had betrayed his military unit in the past. The campaign of the game is perhaps the darkest of any other story of theGrand Theft Auto IV is a great game with a great story, with much positive and some negative reception, from my thoughts, not the "professional" critics. In the game, the player follows the story of Niko Bellic, an Eastern European hellbent on vengeance against someone who had betrayed his military unit in the past. The campaign of the game is perhaps the darkest of any other story of the Grand Theft Auto video game series, which is well received.

Grand Theft Auto IV even follows it up with a sad ending, no matter the decision that the player makes. The developers decided that one of Niko's closest friends must die, depending on the player's choice. At a number of points in time, the player is given a choice, which would have a bad result or would be beneficial. Then, there are points where you literally do not have a choice, but to kill that certain someone.

However, there are some features that must be brought to attention. Even with exceptional graphics, the feeling of Liberty City is gloomy and grayish. Now, I do not know if that is what it looks like in New York City, but it is something worth noting. Another point is that the map is just too small, which is a reason why the player cannot pilot planes. Why not include more of the outlying areas of the states of New Jersey and New York, and not just the urban and suburban landscape? More of Long Island?

For this game, there are additional negative aspects. Grand Theft Auto IV is lacking provided in-game car modification, which is noticeably absent from the game. Instead, Pay 'n' Spray restores the player's vehicle and give it a random color. Now, weapon modification has never been a feature in the video game series, but I think the series is in order for an addition such as that.

Besides those negative features, Grand Theft Auto IV is a great game overall.
  31. Nov 14, 2013
    The game is close to perfect or in-fact perfect in my opinion. It blew me away. The story was very well-written and the characters fit in nicely. The City is simply breathtaking and this deserves a higher user score. Hats of to Rockstar for creating such a master piece.
  32. Nov 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV, has an amazing story line, there are many action packed missions involving many different unique characters as well as completely different situations. The three-dimensional graphics were good. The sound quality was average, I enjoyed driving the vehicles around just to listen to the sound of their engines, it was beautiful.

The multiplayer was generally

The multiplayer was generally entertaining; I have had many great times with my friends while playing this game. The different activities in multiplayer were entertaining, such as, “GTA Race” or “Cops & Robbers”
    Although there are some slight problems, such as, when driving any vehicle in single player or multiplayer the controls are a little wacky. It was difficult to turn the headlights on or off as well as to turn the radio off.

I do enjoy playing this game with or without people; therefore I give this game a 7/10.
  33. Nov 2, 2013
    THE GOOD: Niko is a cool character. The map has some cool landmarks that can make it interesting. Map can be fun to explore.

THE BAD: There are a large amount of issues in this game. The cars control badly, like slippery boats. The game definitely looks like an X360 game but graphics are still not all that visually pleasing. The game removes so much from GTA San Andreas. San Andreas had mountains, countrysides, deserts, small towns, and big cities. GTA IV, on the other hand, is just one city. Gun mechanics could be much more responsive. Way too many cops in this game, which can limit freedom to do crazy stuff. There are performance issues that are annoying. For example, when you drive fast, sometimes you can run into invisible objects, which are textures that have not appeared yet. Cheat codes are also hard to access at critical times because they are put in the in-game phone. When you are trying to put in a cheat code a cop can shoot you and make you automatically put the phone away. It is extremely annoying and once again, limits freedom. There are only a few outfits available to change your character into, which is a disappointment because San Andreas allowed you to change clothes, haircuts, and tattoos in a variety of ways. GTA IV just doesn't do the one thing that is necessary for an open-world game, ALLOW FREEDOM.

Very overrated game. At its best, it can be worth renting to enjoy the things it does get right. Rent it.
  34. Oct 29, 2013
    The most overrated piece of in its franchise. And no, I'm not the only rational being stating this. Through all these GTA fanboys, there's still plenty of ppl admitting to the fact that GTA IV has been SERIOUSLY overrated, and when I say seriously, I mean: SERIOUSLY!
  35. Oct 19, 2013
    grand theft auto 4 is one of the best games I've ever played in my life, it is an almost perfect game, but its only shortcoming is that compared to grand theft auto earlier this game has fewer customizations.
  36. Oct 10, 2013
    GTA IV is a game that I love to call "a masterpiece". My journey with Niko Bellic is one of the most memorable experiences I've ever been at in my life. Exploring Liberty City (one of the most impressive, realistic, visually stunning worlds I've ever explored) for almost 6 months has been so awesome, that I want to play it again, experience it again, and LIVE it again. Despite on all theGTA IV is a game that I love to call "a masterpiece". My journey with Niko Bellic is one of the most memorable experiences I've ever been at in my life. Exploring Liberty City (one of the most impressive, realistic, visually stunning worlds I've ever explored) for almost 6 months has been so awesome, that I want to play it again, experience it again, and LIVE it again. Despite on all the controversy that surrounds it, its elements (stunning action pieces, well-structured storyline, relationships with friends, shocking plot twists/turns, cast of characters, and many activities to do) are flawless and it couldn't stop getting any better. This is, unexpectedly, one of my favorite games ever, and in every bit of respect I love to give it, it would be enormous for everyone to see. After I finished over 100 hours of campaign mode, I come to feel for Niko, who is flawed and desperate to "climb out the hole he trip in" (a underworld full of psychopaths, thieves, loan sharks, crooked people, and gang-bangers). Rockstar has told one of the greatest stories ever told in gaming. It deserves to be the greatest game of the current generation of gaming, but also hold a shadow, along with GTA V, over the next generation, making it look bad. I love to recommend this game to ALL of you to experience. The multiplayer does help with its success, but most of it comes from its single-player mode, which is one of the most memorable experiences I've also ever played, as well. So, I'm gonna make this short: If any of you want to "understand" on what I am saying, now is the chance to PLAY this game, NOW. Expand
  37. Sep 28, 2013
    Grand theft auto IV tiene sus cosas como buena jugabilidad, buenas graficas entre otros factores importantes en un juego, sin embargo no se ateiene a aceptar una buena historia como es la simple historia de la traicion cada 10 segundos entre negros, es un desastre la historia, sin embar va por buena causa
  38. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the most ambitious games ever produced. TASTE LIKE CHICKEN MY COP THIS GAME! EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME DIP IN OIL WITH SOME SEASONING KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? I WONDER WHERE DAT PIZZA HUT IS TOO?
  39. Sep 19, 2013
    Un juego que no prenta ninguna novedad para el jugador.Su narrativa totalmente lineal lo comvierte en un juego que cae ante los topicos que presenta.Graficamente notable y banda sonora acertada.
  40. Sep 19, 2013
    Just a great game if you want to play a GTA game pick up Grand Theft Auto 4 the price is extremely low for this game its a great game the graphics controls and gameplay I just hated the story and extremely boring characters but it does not kill the game its open world sandbox feature is worth a try because its fairly cheap these days
  41. Sep 16, 2013
    I found the game very dull and difficult to get through. The city was very bland and graphically unimpressive.
    The gameplay it self, shooting, driving etc was very boring. The city was boring......the fact that it was just a empty shell really..
  42. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the best game ever made in the World, go rockstar
    people that doesn t like this sorts of game give it bad score shame on you Spela inte spel f-- h------ d-.
  43. Sep 1, 2013
    Great Game ...Great features...Great graphics..The controls are easy to master. Scenery is good. Scenarios are awesome. The weapons are amazing but some features from its previous successors are missing such as the gym and many more. This game's worth buying and playing but it deservedly shouldn't deserve to get any awards.
  44. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  45. Aug 26, 2013
    As being misunderstood by the many who claim this game to be the first downfall for the GTA franchise, I would like to concur on many of the dissenting opinions towards this game. Some are deserved, while others just seem childish. Sure, the driving mechanics are a bit hard to handle, even with the most luxurious of cars, and the use of gratuitous game cheats to give you a whole new levelAs being misunderstood by the many who claim this game to be the first downfall for the GTA franchise, I would like to concur on many of the dissenting opinions towards this game. Some are deserved, while others just seem childish. Sure, the driving mechanics are a bit hard to handle, even with the most luxurious of cars, and the use of gratuitous game cheats to give you a whole new level of gameplay have been removed for the simply stock versions, none of these makes the aesthetic and feel of Liberty City or the game itself in any shape or form deserving of a 2 or a 1. As this being Rockstar's first leap into the clear cut 3D proven successful by PS3 and XBOX, it is really refreshing to actually notice the details and contours of the city, and the people who live in it. The Problem with the previous GTA's was that the graphics, while acceptable enough, made many of the towns feel vain and empty of depth, where in this "new" installment, we get to see a city that is constantly sprawling at every move you make, and I have to give credit to Rockstar to making a world that is adaptive to your actions as well as reactive in a fluent way. Although, with the inclusion of better 3D graphics, there was a sudden shock of grayness and "realism" to the environment, as well as the protagonist you play in. But, in favor of making a character more out of just wanting to live in peace and solidarity with his vicious past against the usual stock GTA character, "Out to make money" and "ruling the world, Tony Montana style", it is quite refreshing to see a character that we can feel with who has a more legitimate reason for trying to get money in a town full of people, lost from the excesses of the American Dream. And with his Cousin, Roman, conflicting against him with his drive and desire to be rich and own the city (an ode to previous GTA protagonists), you get to see more 3rd dimensional characters within the 3rd dimensional world. YOu get to hang out with them, spend time with them, and get to know them, unlike in previous installments where it was job after job without much context inbetween. The cheats have been improved, not by variations, but how you can use them. NOw, you can "dial" the cheats, and once doing so, are implemented permanently on your "cell phone", which can be activated instantly, a much more faster and efficient method than learning a combo move in other installments. And with your phone, you have access to much more implementations around the world, such as calling the cops, taking "pictures", or even delving in the curiosity of your friends phone messages. Combat has greatly improved, with much better cover systems, aiming, and fluency between combat situations. There are no more awkward first person shooting galleries, which helps especially when dealing with a massive crowd. The weapon variation has diminished greatly, however, with only 2 sets of weapons and one special weapon (rpg). Ragdoll physics upon car impacts are greatly improved as well, although running into multiple targets causes major bog with the FPS, both on console and pc (much greater on console, and haven't played the PC, so this is why I am reviewing through Xbox 360). Car damage is much more detailed and exciting, rather than from simplistic skirt and hood tears, the detail being so great that it could contend with Burnout games. Overall, GTA IV was a major improvement on some of the tripes of the originals, and while the fun of the game may had weined in or just substituted for it's massive and varied multiplayer system, it surely hadn't died away. And who knows? GTA V might bring both the fun, over-amped excitement of the originals, while maintaining the fluent and 3rd dimensional characterization and combat from this new installment. Expand
  46. Aug 25, 2013
    Very nice story, and online. The graphics are awesome, the whole game is awesome. It was definitely worth the wait. Can't wait the Grand Theft Auto 5 now :D
  47. Aug 20, 2013
    Since five years ago I can't stop playing this game. The best game of the consoles until GTAV.
    No other game has got me into the story and in the gameplay. No other game has that ragdoll physics. Feels real.
  48. Aug 10, 2013
    the game doesn´t make honorable to the GTA franchise, the story in itself its awesome but besides the missions the game doesn´t has much to offer, compared to the other Rockstar´s games this is one of the worst of them.
  49. Aug 7, 2013
    I get it. I really do

This game is awesome and takes all that is good from the previous GTA entries and makes it great and makes it bigger. Nevermind the obvious graphical upgrade, the story is more realistic. Its just, I have seen this before. I'm not as invested this time around. I don't want to be an immigrant that comes over to my country to terrorize my country to get paid. I
    I get it. I really do

I liked San Andreas ability to truly customize my playable character through clothes and body type.

The radio stuff isn't as good and for a story that is supposed to be so believable, the totality of what Niko gets away with in terms of destruction is absolutely ludicrous.

The missions drag for me and have been done before in previous GTA's. The unlocking of new places in the city is predictable and expected.

I think that is my problem with this; for all of its grandeur, most of it I totally expected. I knew what I was getting into through and through and that was the problem for me.

Its a great game for somebody else and I get that. But for me its just a really good game
  50. Jul 25, 2013
    ▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏┈┈
    ▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏┈┈
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔╲▂▕▂▂▂I
  51. Jul 22, 2013
    I haven't played video games since 2003 and that was GTA San Andreas for the PS2. After seeing all the ads for GTA 5 I went out and bought an Xbox 360 and a copy of GTA IV in preparation for September 17th. Man I could not be more disappointed. Boring characters, boring story line, boring environments (How they managed to make Brooklyn boring is beyond me), the streets are way too circularI haven't played video games since 2003 and that was GTA San Andreas for the PS2. After seeing all the ads for GTA 5 I went out and bought an Xbox 360 and a copy of GTA IV in preparation for September 17th. Man I could not be more disappointed. Boring characters, boring story line, boring environments (How they managed to make Brooklyn boring is beyond me), the streets are way too circular and wined-y and make navigating the landscape more annoying than anything else. Visually, the game is incredibly dark and lacking color. No side quests, nothing to do. It's like they took all the freedom you had in San Andreas so you're relegated to the boring story line (and unlike-able characters) they put in place. This release gives me serious reservations about buying the new game. I was bored after 30 minutes. Expand
  52. Jul 13, 2013
    dlvsdfvjdzbvmdsbvdbvhmbzcnvbzsdfmvbsdmvdfhsvbsdmvbdsnmvbsdmvbsdmcvbdzmvbsdmvbdsmvbsdmvbdsmcbdvnbnvbxzvbxcnvbcvmbxcvbdhvbdmbdfhmvbdmvhbdsmvbsdmvbsdmbvdsnmbvmdnbvnxdbvnmbxdvbmcmxnvbdbvdsnv IS THE BEST
  53. Jun 27, 2013
    GTA IV is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but to say it is overrated is a MASSIVE understatement. I have played and completed all GTA games numerous of times and enjoyed them all, but this isn't even the best GTA, nevermind the best game I've played. I completed this twice and chose different routes/paths in the storyline both times. I played this probably more than any other gameGTA IV is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but to say it is overrated is a MASSIVE understatement. I have played and completed all GTA games numerous of times and enjoyed them all, but this isn't even the best GTA, nevermind the best game I've played. I completed this twice and chose different routes/paths in the storyline both times. I played this probably more than any other game because it was a great way to spend time but I can't see what some others see when they say it's the "best game they've ever played'. They must've played some shocking games to say this is the best. Driving is good and the selection of cars is broad and the shooting isn't too bad. I did enjoy the multiplayer more than the single player but what really lets it down for me is after you've completed it. I have a total of 105+ hours of game-time which is a lot, but most of that was after completing the game. I spent hour after hour roaming around the map wondering what to do and could find nothing other than enjoy the odd game of bowling or go around shooting all the pigeons for an achievement the achievements were the only thing keeping me playing it. There should've been something extra at the end something to keep you engaged once you have completed the storyline a couple of times but there wasn't. This is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but you can easily get tired of it, and just because I'm calling it OVERRATED, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, because I did. 7/10. Expand
  54. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is pretty damn easy.... Maybe it was because I was a bit younger, but San Andreas was a hard game for me! This game was (I believe) the first big release from GTA to be in HD and not 3D, and I have to say... It looks pretty good. For the story in this game, it is decent, but the game play is great and saves the story. And my problem with this game settles in the multiplayer. IThis game is pretty damn easy.... Maybe it was because I was a bit younger, but San Andreas was a hard game for me! This game was (I believe) the first big release from GTA to be in HD and not 3D, and I have to say... It looks pretty good. For the story in this game, it is decent, but the game play is great and saves the story. And my problem with this game settles in the multiplayer. I don't know about the other platforms, but on the Xbox this is FULL of hackers and people that will teleport you randomly and freeze your system. The other 60 of the players shoot you the second you spawn in. I don't see the fun in that! This game was fun, but not nearly good enough for the 98 meta-score and definitely not as good as I thought it was back in '09 Expand
  55. Jun 19, 2013
    It Grand Theft Auto that should cover the review already. I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted playing mulitplayer with my friends. Rock Star cannot disappoint they crafted a great well thought out game with great game-play.
  56. Jun 17, 2013
    GTA IV Has to take the gold for being the most overrated game of all time.

Pros: -Lengthy Story, a lot of gameplay available -Sandbox game, can be played an unlimited amount of times, providing you can find something fun. Cons: -Clunky feeling controls and slow character response -Game is almost becoming a normal life for a criminal, where has all the fun things from GTA:VC and
    GTA IV Has to take the gold for being the most overrated game of all time.

Pros:
    -Lengthy Story, a lot of gameplay available

Cons:
    -Clunky feeling controls and slow character response
    -Game is almost becoming a normal life for a criminal, where has all the fun things from GTA:VC and GTA:SA Gone?
    -Online provides no actual purpose, only a few sketchy gamemodes and a sandbox mode which most players will choose, however nothing really more to it than the story with a few friends
    -Color seems to have flown out the window, the only colors this game using is Grey, black and murky colors.
    -irritating real life style situations, in GTA IV you can go bowling with a cousin, go on dates with girls and generally do things which you can do for real, however in GTA the fun is taken out of it when you are constantly called or text messaged asking you to do certain things, and if you don't, your relationship with the character drops, resulting in a forced,broken up feeling to the idea of a fun criminal game.

GTA IV deserves nothing more than a 4 or a 5/10, with a few fun things here and there, and if you can actually involved in online and find something to do, the game can provides hours, but really, there isn't anything TO do, other than shoot each other and steal a few cars, sound fun? wait until you try to drive them, the car responses will have you screaming
  57. Jun 9, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games on the Xbox 360 period. It has a great setting, funny characters, and a good enough story.

GTA IV's biggest success is the city Liberty City. Every area looks different from the other, unlike most open world games. While traveling you get to pick your choice of music and they have a radio station for everybody. This game also has many means of traveling. Helicopter, car, and motorcycle are just some of the many vehicles available in this game.

GTA IV has some very memorable missions that you will do. They are all pretty different, with a few exceptions. The storyline and side missions will assure you that you will spend a very long time in this game. GTA IV is a masterpiece.
  58. Jun 8, 2013
    GTA V is coming out this year, I thought giving GTA IV a try. Another Rockstar masterpiece or s@$ t stain? I don't think its as good as RDR or L.A Loire (thats just me everyone) but it is another amazing game by rockstar! You play as a man named Nico Belic, who came to Libirty City basically New York) to find fortune with his cousin. However to get that fortune he must kill men, drugs,GTA V is coming out this year, I thought giving GTA IV a try. Another Rockstar masterpiece or s@$ t stain? I don't think its as good as RDR or L.A Loire (thats just me everyone) but it is another amazing game by rockstar! You play as a man named Nico Belic, who came to Libirty City basically New York) to find fortune with his cousin. However to get that fortune he must kill men, drugs, getting chased by cops to earn money for the fortune they were dreaming of and Nico's past still haunts him. One if the best story's in gaming my opinion. Open world in a mini New York with lots of things to do and can explore it by car, boat even helicoper. Multiplayer is great, hard to find matches, but its great. Now here is the Con witch if I didn't have a problem with I would have giving it a 9.5 to 10 is the amount of times it frose on a mission was redicluous and ruined some really good missions. Overall amazing game. Grand Theft Auto IV 9.2/10. Expand
  59. Jun 5, 2013
    This is an amazing game. Epic single player, epic multiplayer. Seriously, i don't know what these negative reviews are saying or thinking, but take it from me, its AMAZING
  60. Jun 4, 2013
    After years of playing this kind of games, I finally play a wonderful game that gives so many freedom, so realistic, that makes the game very dangerous, but at the same time is so much fun. It is a big-smash to your face, or a shot, one of my favourite games, and one of the best I've played.
  61. May 31, 2013
    For eveyone who hates this game i will tell you to please reconsidder and actually PLAY IT for a longer period of time! Messing with the cops and pedestrians is still fun. Doing stunts with bikes and cars are in my opinion even more fun thanks to the new engine. And doing awesome yet simple drifts and such with vehicles is just so much fun because of the realistic feel of the cars. YouFor eveyone who hates this game i will tell you to please reconsidder and actually PLAY IT for a longer period of time! Messing with the cops and pedestrians is still fun. Doing stunts with bikes and cars are in my opinion even more fun thanks to the new engine. And doing awesome yet simple drifts and such with vehicles is just so much fun because of the realistic feel of the cars. You tell yourself after a perfect drift ''i did that! And it was awesome!''. It's just great fun if you get used to the different direction in gameplay.

I love this game and will always do and HOPEFULLY gta 5 will be even greater. And by the way, to the haters, it will keep the realistic feel of this game. Most likely all the future main entries of the series will. So i guess you will just have to say goodbye to rockstar.
  62. May 10, 2013
    GTA IV did some things right. It looked great during its time for a sandbox title and the story was decent if not pretty good. But the gameplay was not. Niko controls like a tank, the cars control like overweight elephants, and the mission variety is pathetic. Add to that the general over-fabricated nature of the city, in ways more so than in earlier games or series like the Elder ScrollsGTA IV did some things right. It looked great during its time for a sandbox title and the story was decent if not pretty good. But the gameplay was not. Niko controls like a tank, the cars control like overweight elephants, and the mission variety is pathetic. Add to that the general over-fabricated nature of the city, in ways more so than in earlier games or series like the Elder Scrolls and you get to me, a game that does not live up to the hype in any way or even close. An average game with a great name. Expand
  63. May 7, 2013
    Maybe my all time best game. sure the game has flaws, but it barely affect me enjoying every minute in this game. I got the key to city achievement, took me like forever, but at the end I just like to do this meaningless collective things in this game, mainly because i like to drive around the city. The combat/gunplay is not topnotch, but I dont care, the game just has massive other thingsMaybe my all time best game. sure the game has flaws, but it barely affect me enjoying every minute in this game. I got the key to city achievement, took me like forever, but at the end I just like to do this meaningless collective things in this game, mainly because i like to drive around the city. The combat/gunplay is not topnotch, but I dont care, the game just has massive other things to do than shooting. I gave the time a 10, maybe a little overrated. I don't think in any way this game is a perfect 10, but I just cannot think of any game is better than this, therefore, after comparison, IMO, this is how a 10 score game should like... Expand
  64. May 2, 2013
    I just played and completed this game again for the second time. It is completely awesome and still the best game I've ever played, great open world way ahead of its time, great voice acting, story and attention to detail.

I decided to play this again in preparation for GTA V and show my son how good it was, he is only 9 and loves the iPad GTA games and loved it too. I'm hoping GTA V will have some filter for kids and open it to a wider audience but even without this the game is worthy of the amazing reviews and score that is here.

If you have ever been to New York you will recognize a lot of the places, structures an that just adds a touch of something extra. The driving and feel in this game is different to other GTA games, the driving is a lot harder and you will have to work to control your cars, with that said its much more realistic, you can't just hurl around corners at almost full speed.

The graphics are probably a bit dated now, but the engine is what really started it all for open world games. New engines such as those in Farcry 3 or Just Cause 2 are better, but they owe respect to GTA IV for doing it first and years ahead.
  65. Apr 28, 2013
    The number 1 rated game on metacritic,I can see why.This game has awesome combat,fun mini-games and really cool veichles.I can't wait to see what they do in GTA 5.
  66. Apr 25, 2013
    Although it may not contain the amount of variety that was provided by San Andreas (which is still the best in the series) it excels in creating a living, breathing open world environment which has not been matched until the release of Skyrim. A must own for GTA fans, open world fans or fans of great games in general
  67. Apr 16, 2013
    Holy hot hell what is with all these inflated reviews of this game?! The game was distinctly average at best! The best thing in this game is playing it multiplayer and just messing around with some friends. Except for that, this game was good, but not the best. San Andreas was the best of the series, this one was probably the worst.
  68. Mar 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV is just as impressive as it looks. Although it doesn't offer exciting visuals, or great graphics, it is wildly entertaining, and sets high standards for open world games. Controls take some getting used to, but they make sense for the game's combat style. The story is phenomenal, with strong characters, and an incredible (albeit somewhat cliché) plot. It has plenty ofGrand Theft Auto IV is just as impressive as it looks. Although it doesn't offer exciting visuals, or great graphics, it is wildly entertaining, and sets high standards for open world games. Controls take some getting used to, but they make sense for the game's combat style. The story is phenomenal, with strong characters, and an incredible (albeit somewhat cliché) plot. It has plenty of content, fun missions, and great features. Although the game doesn't have much play value after completion of the main story missions, it's easily overlooked. Grand Theft Auto IV is the best of its genre. Expand
  69. Mar 12, 2013
    This is a best game since,i play the xbox 360 is a
    very very good game and doesn t have any error with the game. This is a expetacular and the best productions of rockstar games. i recommend.
  70. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GTA4 is terrible compared to SA VC. Can't do anything without cops harassing you.. Not even vigilante missions, which is what's the most fun. Just too many cops roaming around very unrealistic. It's no longer FUN to drive a motorbike (controls, easy death, etc..).. The constant phone calls from "friends" gets so annoying, you have to just put your phone on sleep in order to enjoy free-roam play. 8 max RPGs? --stupid. No minigun? Pigeon completion is a horrendous task. Can't fly planes. Can't freely look around the airport. Helis are scarce. Money is hard to come by after story completion. Story missions are good, graphics are very good, and pedestrian reactions are funny. The best thing about GTA4 is the auto-save. At least you can avoid being stripped of $20,000-worth of weapons, or avoid a ludicrous $10,000 health fee and go back to where you left off. I can't wait for GTA IV Expand
  71. Feb 14, 2013
    Laugh at me if you want, I just bought this game from Best Buy because one of my friends convinced me to buy the game saying that the game was good and I had to try it out. I really didn't know what to expect going into GTA 4. When I put the game in, I was blown away how pretty the game looked and this is the first game I've played where I love most of the characters in the story. Niko isLaugh at me if you want, I just bought this game from Best Buy because one of my friends convinced me to buy the game saying that the game was good and I had to try it out. I really didn't know what to expect going into GTA 4. When I put the game in, I was blown away how pretty the game looked and this is the first game I've played where I love most of the characters in the story. Niko is a the main protagonist who went to America from Russia to seek a new life. While in Liberty City, a fictional city in Los Angeles, he meets up with his cousin Roman. Roman is a funny character that's in major debt to Loan Sharks. Niko must help his cousin out. While trying to help out his cousin, he meets a girl named Michelle and wants go out with her, but is side-lined from all the work he is doing to help Roman. The characters that you meet early in the game have their own personality instead of being carbon copies of other characters in the game. I have not gotten far into the campaign, but I really enjoy the game and hope I have more fun with it later on. I encourage you to buy this game. Expand
  72. Feb 6, 2013
    I don't see this game as the "Pinnacle of Gaming" that many reviewers claim it to be. Nor do I hate it for not being exactly that as many disillusioned fanboys have ranted. I see this game to be exactly what it is: Just another GTA game. Great visuals, great characters, great writing, and exactly what you expect a GTA game to be. Overall: Another great entry into the GTA series, thatI don't see this game as the "Pinnacle of Gaming" that many reviewers claim it to be. Nor do I hate it for not being exactly that as many disillusioned fanboys have ranted. I see this game to be exactly what it is: Just another GTA game. Great visuals, great characters, great writing, and exactly what you expect a GTA game to be. Overall: Another great entry into the GTA series, that entertains, but just doesn't add too much new to the formula. A shame in that regard as you can see the potential is there. Hopefully GTA 5 will learn from this and try to be a bit more daring. Expand
  73. Jan 28, 2013
    Just in case you haven't played it yet and you were wondering if the game is still worth playing even though it's five years years old now. Yes. This game is so detailed and more expansive than anything else on the market as of today. Even though the animated characters aren't on par with today's models, the voice acting is top notch and the storyline pulls you along for quite aJust in case you haven't played it yet and you were wondering if the game is still worth playing even though it's five years years old now. Yes. This game is so detailed and more expansive than anything else on the market as of today. Even though the animated characters aren't on par with today's models, the voice acting is top notch and the storyline pulls you along for quite a raunchous adventure of betrayal and revenge. You'll be looking at a total of 90 missions, give or take, so expect a game that will take you a month to play. I found myself liking all of the characters that my protagonist associated with and the main character himself. Outstanding game that only has a drawback on the "save game" issue where if you have to start a mission all over again, you can expect to spend a lot of time just retracing your path to start the mission again. If you haven't played it, now is a perfect time because you can get the two expansions with the main story for only a quarter of the cost of a new game. Expand
  74. Jan 25, 2013
    i think Grand Theft Auto is appropriate for ages 10+ the reason why is because you can censor all the bad language. This is also much like the game saints row it is very similar to Grand Theft Auto and Saints row is also not that bad i recommend it to. so this is my opinion im funzoid and a think Grand Theft Auto is a appropriate game THANKS!
  75. Jan 20, 2013
    Graphics: 6/10 Gameplay: 8/10 Story: 7/10 Voice acting: 7/10 Enjoyment: 6/10 = 6.8 (good)
    The graphics are just a blurry mess, I know it came out 5 years ago but even then it just looked like a blurry mess. Although games aren't all about the graphics so lets talk about the game.
    This is not Grand Theft Auto! This is Niko's Chavy Day Out Simulator. This is nothing like the others except it's an open world in an American city. Where's the funny characters? Where's the funny humor? Where's the funny?
    GTA 5 please bring back the funny.
    Thanks for reading and I'll JackYaLater.
  76. Jan 7, 2013
    In my opinion this is the greatest Gta yet. With its vast detail, great story and amazing presentation Gta IV is an extremely entertaining game. In fact it's not just a game but a experience and a great one at that. Not to mention the infinite amount of time that can be invested in the game in the form of Vigilante and other side missions. Well worth every cent used to buy it. 10/10.
  77. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't get the hype, there is nothing "revolutionary" about this game. All I experienced was an extremely dull game with often repetitive missions and monotonous combat.
  78. Dec 21, 2012
    People need to stop living the "2008" hype and start to see this game for what it really is. GTA IV is a okay game with wasted potential. This new game of the acclaimed GTA franchise could have been even more exciting and "mind-blowingly" fun than GTA San Andreas, but it fails miserably for the sake of "realism". Dear Rockstar, if i wanted to eat a hotdog on the f#cking street, talk on thePeople need to stop living the "2008" hype and start to see this game for what it really is. GTA IV is a okay game with wasted potential. This new game of the acclaimed GTA franchise could have been even more exciting and "mind-blowingly" fun than GTA San Andreas, but it fails miserably for the sake of "realism". Dear Rockstar, if i wanted to eat a hotdog on the f#cking street, talk on the phone with people that i don't care about; going to lan houses and forced to go to extremely boring places like theaters i would have done it. Why i didn't make any of those activities ? Because they are BORING! That's why i play videogames. I admit that GTA San Andreas was compromised with reality at a certain level, but it also gave you full character costumization; the possibility of buying houses; learn karate movements; costumize cars; fly airplanes; awesome radio stations; much more cool places to explore along with interesting characters and missions. GTA IV doesnt have any of that, instead, we have boring stuff like playing darts and surf on the internet. Actually, you won't remember almost anything of the game besides the graphics, city and multiplayer. Nearly all the characters are boring or just irritating. God, i hate Roman so much that i would be able to punch a kid right in the face if that could shut Roman's mouth permanently. I also can't stand the "overweighted" accent of Niko Bellic, despite of how hard i tried to like him. Most of the other characters are always asking favors in desesperate and annoying ways. In GTA San Andreas, the missions with Sweet felt natural, like if you were helping a friend. In GTA IV, people sometimes screams(literally) for help as if you owe them a favor or something like that. Maybe i'm being too nostalgic, but the thing is that GTA SA was way more fun and had much more likeable characters (except for Catalina). The great part of the missions in GTA IV follows the logic: "get a car - go to a place - kill thousands of people - return", with that "little to no variety" you can get easily bored after a couple of hours. The city is brown and ugly, sorry but it's true. The "euphoria" thing makes Niko move sooo slow that is almost painful to watch. "Because that's realistic" - Rockstar would have think. The combat system is an improvement over the old GTA games but the super slow "pseudo-realistic" movements ruins the flow of the battles. If all of this would not be bad enough, the frame rate is always an issue. Multiplayer is multiplayer. Let's be honest, you know what to expect: "deathmatch","team deathmatch", a "sandbox" multiplayer mode where little psycopath kids can have fun by creating hell on earth on NY streets and etc. Even 7 for this game feels like a generosity, but the game can be actually fun sometimes. I'm glad to see at least a 7.9 user score on metacritic, it means that not all the people here have "half-brain". If most people out there where more critic with these game, we wouldn't be living on this "over-casualizated attack of the modern warfare clones " age of videogame industry. Expand
  79. Dec 17, 2012
    This game is pretty fun, sadly, it is not as much as good as GTA: SA , GTA 3 or GTA: VC...
    Why? This game is mostly about graphics, but the gameplay is not convenient nor comfortable. The game has amazing graphics to be one of the first games for Xbox 360 or for PS3, but they failed with the gameplay, plus the radgoll is cool, but if you fall from a short length, Niko will damaged and you will waste time by waiting until he stands up. Also, the story was very idea to be a GTA game. Those are the problems that GTA 4 had (in my opinion). Hopefully GTA 5 is better than GTA 4.
  80. Dec 12, 2012
    Finally Rockstar have nailed the GTA series with GTA IV. It is just brilliant in every way. Like the car pysics now feal realistic with tyres bursting once you have been doing dounuts for a long time and the sounds of guns are brilliant. I have bought every GTA except gta 1, 2 and London, but I only got GTA IV a year ago and after half a year of playing it I straight away thought itFinally Rockstar have nailed the GTA series with GTA IV. It is just brilliant in every way. Like the car pysics now feal realistic with tyres bursting once you have been doing dounuts for a long time and the sounds of guns are brilliant. I have bought every GTA except gta 1, 2 and London, but I only got GTA IV a year ago and after half a year of playing it I straight away thought it might be better on PC and it was. Anyone who hasn''t played GTA IV go out now and get it and you will enjoy it. Expand
  81. Dec 6, 2012
    Well.......................................................................................................Short and simple: Great game but no jets :(
  82. Dec 5, 2012
    Severely over-rated game. Repetitive, extremely bland, no great story and no character anywhere near memorable.

3, vice city and san andreas were all good because they were ahead of their time and did things no other game had done before. 4 was just boring.
  83. Nov 29, 2012
    You know, as a lifelong fan of this game, I can't help but getting a rock hard boner for this game. I mean, holy **** Some games follow, this game leads. If video games could lead, this would be like Abraham Lincoln or some ****
  84. Nov 27, 2012
    I had never played a GTA game before this one, so I have no reference to compare it to, but I was hesitant to buy this game at first - due to the negative connotations about it in various media outlets. After getting 100% completion in the game I have to say that it is without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played - on ANY platform. As a person who prefers first personI had never played a GTA game before this one, so I have no reference to compare it to, but I was hesitant to buy this game at first - due to the negative connotations about it in various media outlets. After getting 100% completion in the game I have to say that it is without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played - on ANY platform. As a person who prefers first person shooters & sports games, but has never enjoyed any form of RPG, I was impressed by both the RPG elements and the FPS elements. The story-line was captivating, the various missions were interesting, the achievements were top-notch. It was one of the few games I've ever played that was both open enough to explore - and interesting enough to actually want to take the time to explore. It's not many games that will get me to pause in the middle of a mission, just to listen to the insanely funny bit on the radio in my stolen cab. I'm already anticipating paying full price for GTA V (and I RARELY pay full price for a game). If you haven't played this yet, got out and buy it now!! Expand
  85. Nov 23, 2012
    Most overrated game of all time! this game sucks so bad. I only paid 20 bucks for it and I feel like I have been ripped off. San Andreas is way better this game is so bad it shouldn't be allowed to have the GTA name. I would recommend Saints row 3 if you like the past GTA's. Rockstar should be ashamed.
  86. Nov 22, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played! The story is my favorite in the series, Niko is my favorite character in the series, and this game looks great.
  87. Nov 21, 2012
    Just play the story missions and when your done with then roam around Liberty City with the amazing music in this game. Last but not least play the multiplayer then you'll exactly why this game is amazing can't wait till Grand Theft Auto V!
  88. Nov 18, 2012
    Rockstar have a reputation of creating great open world games, with worlds that feel alive and interesting stories. Enter Grand Theft Auto IV, the first in the long running GTA franchise to be released for Xbox 360 & PS3. You play as Niko Bellic, a European immigrant searching for a new life with his cousin in the land of opportunity. Unfortunately for them both they live in Liberty City,Rockstar have a reputation of creating great open world games, with worlds that feel alive and interesting stories. Enter Grand Theft Auto IV, the first in the long running GTA franchise to be released for Xbox 360 & PS3. You play as Niko Bellic, a European immigrant searching for a new life with his cousin in the land of opportunity. Unfortunately for them both they live in Liberty City, Romans gambling addiction gets him and Niko in some deep **** and digs up the past Niko tried to leave behind. Yet another amazing game from Rockstar and another great GTA title Expand
  89. Nov 13, 2012
    Very cool game with style, you feel like your into this criminal things, the radio is like real, there are a lot things do in this game.
  90. Nov 13, 2012
    best GTA ever with enxt GTA 5, its all what i can said about this game. ..............................................................................................................................
  91. Nov 13, 2012
    I suppose I understand the appeal of these open world games but some games are not for everyone. I have never been a fan of GTA or Saint's Row and this is not changing my mind. It's boring. Good story, bland gameplay. The humor kept me going
  92. Nov 9, 2012
    The biggest problem with the game is the controls. Could they have made driving not feel like a chore? And because they put the cheat system in the phone, its very difficult to access. San Andreas is better because it had more weapons, better controls, and better cheats. San Andreas has a jetpack and flying cars cheats and other great ones. Does GTA 4 have any of this? No.
  93. Nov 5, 2012
    BY FAR!!!!!!!!!! one of the best games i have ever played in a long time!!!!! seriously can't wait for the release of gta v !!! but by the mean time i would just try to wait till it comes out but for now i'd just keep playin dis one!!!
  94. Nov 5, 2012
    It truly smashed the hype and shocked the critics. GTA IV is a game that MUST be experienced even if you haven't liked the game in the past... And what's better is that there is more to come. The DLC will be here around August and we can't wait!!!
  95. Nov 2, 2012
    I don't know why people hate on this game so much, I still play it constantly , just to drive around and cause mayhem, never finished the story, just played it enough to open the city's. Just messing around in an open world, with all the freedom to do what you want earns this a perfect 10 in my book.
  96. Oct 31, 2012
    This game, the best in the GTA series to this point, is wonderful. It has great open environment play and awesome missions as well. Rockstar made a great one here.
  97. Oct 18, 2012
    GTA4 is the definition of perfect. This game does everything right from story telling to gameplay to interesting characters to driving mechanics and graphics. Nico Bellic is such an awesome character and his cousin Roman is so funny. You start the game having just arrived in liberty city helping Roman with his taxi business doing odd jobs, but before long you meet a ton of differentGTA4 is the definition of perfect. This game does everything right from story telling to gameplay to interesting characters to driving mechanics and graphics. Nico Bellic is such an awesome character and his cousin Roman is so funny. You start the game having just arrived in liberty city helping Roman with his taxi business doing odd jobs, but before long you meet a ton of different characters and end up doing a variety of missions including collecting outstanding debts, driving people from place to place and killing people on demand. The missions are mixed and varied so you will never get board. If you don't have this game in your collection you should go out now and buy it today. Expand
  98. Oct 17, 2012
    Un paso atrás. El anterior título era mucho mejor, esperemos que para el próximo hayan aprendido de los errores. Y que escuchen a los usuarios... Queremos un juego interminable :)
  99. Oct 16, 2012
    Bought this on release date back in 2008, still play it online on a nearly weekly basis with friends! If you're a fan of any GTA, you CANNOT miss out on this one.
  100. Oct 8, 2012
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]