7.9

1. Sep 9, 2017
    GTA 4 was a huge step forward for the series, it changed up the graphics and gameplay without sarcrificing the fun of the series' open-world exploration nor the engaging characters and story. Although it was out-shined by GTA 5 (IN MY OPINION) I still respect what this game did for the GTA series and it still remains a great game.
  2. Aug 2, 2017
    A história na minha opinião é a única coisa que salva esse jogo, a melhor de toda a saga Grand Theft Auto, mas ela não salva o gameplay travado, bugs muito frequentes, falta de otimização e gráficos ultrapassados. Realmente um dos piores jogos que eu já joguei até hoje.
  3. Jun 26, 2017
    The best game of Grand Theft Auto franchise!!!!!!!!! This is much better than cof cof, GTA San Andreas. The people are very hipocrite to say this game is a trash.
  4. Jun 21, 2017
    Take Two and Rockstar threatened to sue a modder without good reason. This sort of toxic behavior should not be tolerated. Don't support them by giving them your money.
  5. May 23, 2017
    Me pareció un buen juego pero no me termino de convencer, tiene buenos gráficos, buen control de personaje, buena inteligencia de la IA, un mapa grande, gran duración de juego, pero le falta una historia que enganche porque al menos conmigo no lo hizo, también el carisma del personaje es muy flojo, la verdad me gustaron mas las expansiones.
    Es un juego que en lo técnico es perfecto pero
    Es un juego que en lo técnico es perfecto pero no termina de llegar al jugador.
  6. May 23, 2017
    Amazing world-building for its time. The plot is nothing new or extraordinary, an outsider trying to make it in the big city, but this time it's a Russian. I had a slight issue with this simple, bland, worn-out story and plot structure, the characters and the living-breathing city full of possibilities was what really kept my attention. The gameplay is a bit clunky in GTA IV and almost allAmazing world-building for its time. The plot is nothing new or extraordinary, an outsider trying to make it in the big city, but this time it's a Russian. I had a slight issue with this simple, bland, worn-out story and plot structure, the characters and the living-breathing city full of possibilities was what really kept my attention. The gameplay is a bit clunky in GTA IV and almost all of the side missions are repetitive and not that fun. The single-player campaign had these short-comings, though from what I heard and remembered the online multiplayer was a blast. Expand
  7. Apr 16, 2017
    The story for this game is by far the greatest in the GTA series, I can't think of any gamer who doesn't know the name 'Niko Bellic'. This game improved on everything previous games had done and used a whole new engine to design the world, going for as much realism as could be achieved. It's really easy to build a connection with Niko's situation and understand his feeling over the courseThe story for this game is by far the greatest in the GTA series, I can't think of any gamer who doesn't know the name 'Niko Bellic'. This game improved on everything previous games had done and used a whole new engine to design the world, going for as much realism as could be achieved. It's really easy to build a connection with Niko's situation and understand his feeling over the course of the game, probably making him the most memorable character in the GTA series. Expand
  8. Apr 16, 2017
    Grand Theft Auto IV is an amazing game. The gameplay is flawless, with plenty of things to do. The cast of character is fantastic, with a great story to boot. My only complaint involves the lack of checkpoints.
  9. Apr 13, 2017
    Qu'on ne se méprenne pas : GTA 4 est incroyable par le travail titanesque de modélisation de sa ville immense, très soignée et par son réalisme teinté d'un humour si grinçant... C'est superbe graphiquement même si souvent la fluidité de l'ensemble fait défaut, c'est peu de le dire.

Les phases en voiture sont fort réussies ; ce n'est pas le cas des phases à pied à la maniabilité exécrable, au système de visée grotesque et à l'interface très mal pensée : il s'agit à cet égard de l'un des pires TPS en la matière (devoir marteler le bouton pour sprinter par exemple est juste ridicule...) Le manque de points de sauvegarde dans les missions est aussi très irritant avec un certain abus des scripts qui n'aide pas, loin de là. Etre obligé de rentrer à la planque pour sauvegarder est aussi très dommageable.

Pas de trousses de soin, pas de régénération non plus et ce n'est pas le système de couverture dans des environnements qui ne sont pas adaptés qui peut y remédier en quoi que ce soit. On est trop souvent en galère de munitions et d'armes.Tout cela est regrettable, car le fond du jeu est potentiellement excellent mais la mise en oeuvre est à revoir : impossible d'attribuer la moyenne dans ces conditions.
  10. Mar 5, 2017
    Com gráficos bonitos e um tom completamente caótico, seja bem vindo a selva de pedras de Liberty City. O jogo é ótimo e por isso é meu GTA favorito, sempre que lança um GTA nossa expectativa é máxima pois sabemos que temos um GOTY e por mais alta que seja nossa expectativa GTA sempre nos surpreenderá, com GTA IV não foi diferente, Simplesmente perfeito.
  11. Feb 22, 2017
    Astonishing game.Very Well Developed and a very gripping story line altogether.One of the best games I have ever played.Deserves all respect towards it.Characters development is brilliant.Rockstar did well with this one
  12. Feb 21, 2017
    Best story in any GTA game. Good gameplay. Big and detailed open world with tons of things to do in it. Sadly the game limits this world until the player advances in the main storyline. A greatly enjoyable game overall.
  13. Oct 15, 2016
    Jogo demais, só que achei a dirigibilida dos carros ruins. O jogo vai te entreter muito, fazendo você continuar jogando para saber se o Niko vai ser feliz ou não.
    "Let's go bowling?"
  14. Sep 9, 2016
    In every single aspect worse game than GTA San Andreas. Such a disapointment. Why this one has better score than GTA V and GTA:SA...damn even Saints Row 3 was waaaay better - compared to GTA4 it should get perfect score! Why does this long forgotten crap have such high rating is just beyond me.
  15. Jun 3, 2016
    + Amazing "alive" world
    + Great Visuals and attention to detail.
    + Awesome Multiplayer
    + Great story and characters
    + Fun controls = Fun Gameplay

- Mission structure was a bit archaic.
  16. May 15, 2016
    Actually, this GTA game one of the best in series. Wonderful and sad storyline, wonderful grapics for 2008, yeah and the Liberty City - my favorite city in GTA. Much better for GTA V with her worst storyline
  17. May 9, 2016
    Has to be one of the best games i have every played. I was so hooked on it for a good 4-6 years before it got boring, and i played it everyday for those years. It's a game you can put your mind to work on, no it isn't Grand Theft Auto V where you can customize your cars or fly jets, but that's what i like about it. You can really put your mind to work, because there is so much to do in this game.
  18. Mar 20, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has to be the most annoying/frustrating game I have ever played! It is a chaw to play any of the missions or side missions. The controlls have to be the worst in a video game. The gameplay is SO repetitive, who would want to run around the map looking for 200 pigeons!? The only the redeeming factors are: the map (which is so fun to explore), and the subway (I loved just riding around in them, I know I am weird!). Maybe if I played this game when it first came out I may have liked it more, considering the amount of 10/10 review scores this has. If you're looking to play a GTA game, definitely play Grand Theft Auto V (maybe the best game ever made)! Expand
  19. Feb 20, 2016
    ótimo jogo, joguei muito ele no xbox 360, salvei o jogo e gostei da história, mas nada se compara a zoeira, nossa, perdi as contas de quantas vezes eu joguei granadas naquele hospital. roubar o helhicoptero do heliporto, roubar a viatura da polícia e prender os criminosos, quebrar as cancelas do pedágio pra não precisar pagar, colocar um carro no meio da rua pra gerar trânsito e depoisótimo jogo, joguei muito ele no xbox 360, salvei o jogo e gostei da história, mas nada se compara a zoeira, nossa, perdi as contas de quantas vezes eu joguei granadas naquele hospital. roubar o helhicoptero do heliporto, roubar a viatura da polícia e prender os criminosos, quebrar as cancelas do pedágio pra não precisar pagar, colocar um carro no meio da rua pra gerar trânsito e depois explodir tudo com a bazuca. tacar granada nas lanchonetes, tacar granadas no boliche. empurrar os outros na linha do trem. só não gostei de duas coisas, 1 - o jogo continua com aquele bug do carro sumir do lugar onde eu estaciono. 2 - a cidade é muito cinza. Expand
  20. Dec 13, 2015
    This is the black sheep of the GTA series. As I played through this game years ago, I didn't understand why they straight-up eliminated so many of the innovations they added to GTA: San Andreas. You just don't have as much to explore. The city is rendered very well, of course, but that's the bare minimum for a Rockstar game. There's not a lot of interaction to be had with the environmentThis is the black sheep of the GTA series. As I played through this game years ago, I didn't understand why they straight-up eliminated so many of the innovations they added to GTA: San Andreas. You just don't have as much to explore. The city is rendered very well, of course, but that's the bare minimum for a Rockstar game. There's not a lot of interaction to be had with the environment in this game.

And then there's the annoying "buddy system," which they excised from GTA V, and for good reason. Basically, you'll meet people throughout the game. In order to unlock various little "perks" that these people have to offer, you must build the relationship up to a friendship. How do you do this? Do you go on shoot-em-up missions wherein you alternate between piloting and manning the MG of a helicopter as you traverse the narrow corridors of a nearby canyon or canal? Not even close. No, what Rockstar decided was that it'd be cooler if you randomly received calls on your cell phone from these people. Like a real cell phone, you never want to take their calls. If you do take their calls, however, they'll invite you to go to a fried chicken fast food restaurant, play darts, or get drunk. In order to become their friend, you must accompany them for same. Eating at the fast food restaurant is exactly like it sounds - you pick them up from their house, drive to a fried chicken restaurant, eat fried chicken with them, and drive them home. The same goes for the other activities. At least with the darts you actually do play a dart mini-game, FWTW. Pretty lame, guys...pretty lame. Am I being picky? Nope. That's because this is a substantial part of the game that takes up a lot of time. It was almost like Rockstar thought this to be the gameplay's crowning achievement. So much so that they thought it adequate to trim away all the innovations introduced in GTA: SA.

You're not going to care about the main character, or his brother, or any of the other characters in the game for that matter. You won't play this game again. If you haven't played GTA: IV, then don't. Move on to GTA: V, which corrected all the problems I noted above.
  21. Nov 27, 2015
    Grand theft auto IV was the 2nd best Gta game in the whole pack type deal, the first on vice city because I loved and I mean loved the campaign a lot. So Gta 4 had a bloody, action, sexy, and brutal campaign which was amazing. And I was a great game, 9-10 right there.
  22. Nov 19, 2015
    GTA IV is a great game. The storyline is awesome, environments beatifull and I find myself having alot of fun just crusing around and playing the story. The multiplayer isnt engaging to my taste. I would have been thriled to be able to paly Co-Op, but the multiplayer is decent. From Cops and Rooks to mini missions to satisfy the lack of Co-Op, GTA IV is just an awesome game and worth buying.
  23. Nov 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I really loved this game. It in every way blew me away. A captivating, epic, and deep storyline keeps you into it the entire way through. Me trying to find at least one thing to complain about. Nothing. This game really deserves GOTY. And I really have to say Niko Bellic is the only character in the GTA series that you can truly connect with. Understanding his difficult life and mis-adventures you can really feel his emotions. And for a free-roaming game they really knocked me out. The free roaming really is amazing. Its awesome how they can have such a nice, luminous city and still have amazing and almost flawless graphics. As for the multi-player, I didn't really play it that much but i love the fact that you can roam around Liberty City causing as much mayhem as you want. The ranked matches are good too, with death-match (etc...) it was pretty cool to see that in a GTA game. Surely I can truly say that you have not experienced free-roam/sandbox games until you have played GTA IV. Expand
  24. Sep 5, 2015
    Gta IV was good but not 98. it had so many missions where you do things for roman and Gta V is better ( GTA V is also great but not 97 ,I'd rate it at a 92-93)
  25. Aug 31, 2015
    amazing game. love the gta series. if you are a big fan of gta pick this one up. this game is a lot of fun to play it has funny voice acting and great mission design
  26. Aug 29, 2015
    GTA IV improves many aspects of the gameplay and physics about the franchise. It also presents a decent story, with good voice acting and some good characters. The cover mechanic is drastically improved, and the driving mechanics and overall physics are much more realistic.
    However, it fails in provide the same amount of features present in the previous title (GTA San Andreas). Most of the customization options are gone or limited, there are only a couple clothes Niko can wear in the game and the vehicles customization doesn't exist (you can only change the color). The number of vehicles was reduced, especially due to the removal of airplanes (You can see airplanes in the game, but cannot fly in one). The RPG elements that were present in San Andreas is gone, you can eat as many hot-dogs you as you wish, but Niko will maintain the same body type. Different fight styles were removed as well.
    The map is also one of the biggest flaws of this game: it is lifeless and smaller than San Andreas.
    In the end GTA IV is one of the most “realistic” GTA with it brand new physics engine, in the other hand it is the less customizable and fun to play, which in my point of view are the tow characteristics that define the franchise. The game still better than most games out there, with its good mechanics and gameplay, but it for sure the worst GTA I have played.
  27. Jul 4, 2015
    now i have not beat grand theft auto 4 in a long time but my memories are clear of how great it was!!! i spent 49 hours in this game dude for some perspective it took me about 23 hours to beat gta 5 thats why this game has a higher score then gta 5. the story is incredible and you feel emotion for whats happening! nikko bellic is a man who just left a world of crime and warfare. he heresnow i have not beat grand theft auto 4 in a long time but my memories are clear of how great it was!!! i spent 49 hours in this game dude for some perspective it took me about 23 hours to beat gta 5 thats why this game has a higher score then gta 5. the story is incredible and you feel emotion for whats happening! nikko bellic is a man who just left a world of crime and warfare. he heres the word that his cousin roman is living what this games definition of what the american dream is. but once he gets there he finds the opposite roman is i lying drunk man who is balls deep in debt with loan sharks and other criminal scum of the city. after saving him you are kidnapped and have 2 missions do what ever it takes to keep roman alive and finding that american dream! that story is so awesome and its really fun to see how bad it gets for our 2 characters. you will make tuff choices in the game as well that screw with your emotions this is the first gta were instead of it just being an action game it has enough fun and a focus on story telling to be diffrant and include all that other fun. now the reason gta 5 seems a bit more fun is because its more free and has so much to do in its world in this game if your tired of a crappy mission you hang with roman and get drunk or play darts or go bowling thats about it main story or booze because its the only fun side thing to do. i would talk of the online modes but i really shouldn't everyone is playing gta 5 online so if your planning on buying this game witch you really should make sure your in it for some missions. but again grand theft auto is pure gold here and its a ton of fun and the story is good so go and check it out. im so done with people saying that gta 5 is better because it has something like tennis or the online mode but what rockstar games did was cover your ungrateful ass and make the game worth 60 dollars just with the story mode! gta v has 69 missions and 20 side ones that areint that great they put so much of the game in the online mode that has 70 more missions and so on gta 5 is worth every penny if you pay for online bullcrap its about the shadiest scam i have seen thats why gta v gets a 9 out of ten and this gets a 10 end of story! Expand
  28. Jun 22, 2015
    I won't say much, i had lots of fun with this one, but this game is all about driving cars and shooting, it may get boring a bit, but the story is worth it.
  29. May 8, 2015
    An absolute masterpiece of a game in every respect possible. It has amazing game play, great graphics, and provides an endlessly fun experience that you will love, guaranteed. It's worth every single penny you put into buying it. Free Roam is easily the best feature of the game, but the story is also worthy of mention. It's amazing. Just buy it.
  30. Ed_
    Apr 13, 2015
    BEST GTA EVER.

The new GTA 5 is not even comparable to this game.
    Best story, gameplay and you can sympathize with the game character. You get everything.
    Niko is my favorite!
  31. Jan 1, 2015
    Overall GTA IV is a good game. It has a good story that keeps you interested for a while. Definitely a must have if you like the Grand Theft Auto series. You play as Niko Bellic a immigrant that gets involved in the criminal world, you have to work your way up as a professional criminal. So get this game if you just love a all around great action/adventure game.
  32. Dec 17, 2014
    An epic gangster fable on a grandiose scale, Grand Theft Auto IV is undoubtedly one of the greatest games ever played, mixing tough-as-nails characters, a fully-realised story (in the vein of The Godfather) and a fantastic free-roaming ability. This here, is an odyssey and a gratifying adventure. This is an experience!,
  33. Dec 1, 2014
    This is nice video-gaming. Lots of things to do, the story folds out pretty well, lots of violence, car crashes, prostitutes and overtime. It's kind of a peculiar game if you think about it. At the beginning you keep wondering why the hell am I going through all these deliveries and stuff. After a couple of hours you have a few contacts and they're not in for anything good and fair. So youThis is nice video-gaming. Lots of things to do, the story folds out pretty well, lots of violence, car crashes, prostitutes and overtime. It's kind of a peculiar game if you think about it. At the beginning you keep wondering why the hell am I going through all these deliveries and stuff. After a couple of hours you have a few contacts and they're not in for anything good and fair. So you decide to come along.

The characters are so well made and wonderfully portrayed. judging this game as simply dumb gaming is somewhat wrong. There's a lot going on for this title to be missed and not looked upon.
    The odd menus and the fact the city sometimes feels dead with nothing actually gameplay-wise interesting to perform. But hey, everyone has its problems, right?
  34. Nov 23, 2014
    Liberty City has undergone an amazing HD transformation from Grand Theft Auto III, and compared to 3D GTA, GTA IV is huge, although GTA San Andreas is to compete with. The graphics, shooting mechanics and driving physics in the game are a great improvement from previous GTA Games but there are some cons
    The storyline is cliche and not that good. There is a fair share of glitches (Catapult swing set being the funniest) and pop-in is very annoying.
    Also GTA IV has devolved from GTA San Andreas as there are no planes, no diversity like the countryside or the sea and not being able to buy houses.
    Oh and Roman Bellic always calling you asking 'To go bowling' This really sucked. They should add a blocking feature on the phone
    But I still enjoyed this game, I couldn't put it down and so I give this game a strong 6
  35. Nov 19, 2014
    This game was amazing and all but It wasn't addictive. I would play some missions, quit for a week or a month or so, and come back to play some more. I was amazed when I finally beat the thing probably a year after I bought it. Its a great game to come back to periodically. Add to the rotation.
  36. Nov 16, 2014
    This is a very good game it is very interesting and fun I didn't expect it would be this very good the weapons are good but the bad thing about it is the missions they could of made it more easier.
  37. Oct 25, 2014
    For its time, a remarkable achievement. GTA IV set the benchmark for the modern sandbox game, merging great open-world gameplay with a scathing, but hilarious satire on the nature of Western consumerism. A+
  38. Sep 28, 2014
    Technologically, this game is as near perfect as pre-2010 games could get. Massive attention to details, an early yet entertaining euphoria physics engine, above average graphics, it had what many sandbox games at the time could only dream of. Story wise, I found the serious turn in the main plot and hints of dry and immature humor to be a welcomed change to the over-the-top stories inTechnologically, this game is as near perfect as pre-2010 games could get. Massive attention to details, an early yet entertaining euphoria physics engine, above average graphics, it had what many sandbox games at the time could only dream of. Story wise, I found the serious turn in the main plot and hints of dry and immature humor to be a welcomed change to the over-the-top stories in games prior. Without going into detail, the opening, decisions, and conclusions in the base Grand Theft Auto IV experience were enjoyable without being as predictable as branched stories tend to be. So far GTA IV is a damn good game.

What sets many off of GTA IV is the lacking gameplay. Uninteresting and repetitive missions, non-existent customization options and what some would even call a smaller playground left many gamers with experience in the last generation of Grand Theft Auto games dissatisfied with the main run in GTA IV and the lesser re-playability.

In my opinion, GTA IV was a technological masterpiece with a great story but was held back slightly by its inferior gameplay in comparison to its predecessor San Andreas. Does it make it awful? No. Free play in the luscious HD version of Liberty City is still fun and the main story is worthwhile also, however, the burning image of San Andreas made IV pale in comparison. Had this game been developed elsewhere it would have landed a 9/10 easily, however, Rockstar's reputation left many disappointment with the first of two seventh generation Grand Theft Autos.

8/10: Great, but not better.
  39. Sep 19, 2014
    Maybe it's my fault that I have had a horrible time playing through this game. I have a curse for running into numerous bugs and mission-breaks throughout many of my play-throughs. Either that or this game is so terrible that it shows all that is ugly and wrong with our modern gaming journalists, countless of which proceeded to give this game a perfect rating. Now I know that this game isMaybe it's my fault that I have had a horrible time playing through this game. I have a curse for running into numerous bugs and mission-breaks throughout many of my play-throughs. Either that or this game is so terrible that it shows all that is ugly and wrong with our modern gaming journalists, countless of which proceeded to give this game a perfect rating. Now I know that this game is a bit outdated, but 2008 was still a damn good year for videogames and I have truthfully not played a game this mind-numbingly dreadful in a long time. I am not trolling, I am being genuinely honest about my opinions for this game. I'm just saying exactly what I thought about it when playing through and I have nothing against the developers, the controversial stuff, or the franchise as a whole.
    How anyone can rate this 10/10 is beyond me. The game simply isn't fun, nor does it excel in any particular areas. At the start of the game I was really excited to play through it and had positive opinions and expectations after the countless reviews and awards I'd seen it receive. I've only recently played any of the GTA games so this was the first one that I got to truly sit down and play through properly. The first issue that I had was something that flawed the game greatly right from the start: the vehicles. They control like crap, feeling like they're floating on a pocket of air and having horribly ineffective brakes and stiff hand brakes. This ruins most of the game for me, as the main missions have a huge focus on driving sections and a lot of your fun you'd expect to come from outrunning cops. But with these **** stiff driving mechanics it's scary to go over 20mph in-game because you're doomed to crash at the next minor turn.
    Secondly, the story is massively overrated. I couldn't give a blind **** about any of the characters, especially Niko who, instead of feeling like badass criminal with moral dilemmas and awesome lines to make him at least memorable, really feels like a completely lifeless **** who spends the game doing petty [law-breaking] chores for his lazy, **** cousin. I couldn't bring myself to connect with any of the cardboard characters, even when I tried, hard.
    Thirdly, and this is probably the biggest problem, the ****ing checkpoint system sucks balls. I cannot count the amount of times I have quitted the game pissed off at this ****ing terrible checkpoint system. Why does it suck so hard? Because there essentially are no checkpoints for most of the missions in the game. You'll play through a boring sequence and then have to chase or shoot a guy, or outrun the cops and which point you'll likely fail or die because, despite it being an open world game, everything feels incredibly trial-and-error-based. So when you fail you have to start the whole mission all over again right from the start and worse, if you die you respawn outside the nearest hospital (which is retarded and makes no ****ing sense because you've usually been shot by the police) and then have to travel in your floaty-ass car to your mission start point and do everything all over again. This has been a problem with other previous Rockstar titles (such as Bully: Scholarship Edition) but it's amplified here because the missions are a lot less imaginative or enjoyable and with the dreadful driving mechanics you're gonna fail a lot more often.
    They're the main problems I have with this game, but all of my other annoyances essentially boil down to how shockingly unoriginal everything truly is. There are far better open world games out there, even ones that came out in or before 2008, like Oblivion, Bully and Saints Row 2. Rockstar is, in my opinion, a great developer, but this is easily their worst work. I'm baffled by the reviews for this game and I do wonder if many of the critics were bribed to give it such untruthfully high scores. Nothing here ever impressed me and I couldn't stop saying out loud how bad this game was at times. It was overall a chore to play through and that should never be the case. **** this game.
  40. Aug 14, 2014
    I don't know why this game got a score of 98. From the three GTAs I've played this one is my least favorite. In my opinion San Andreas and Vice City are way better than GTA IV. I missed the fun from the previous games in this one.
  41. Aug 6, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto IV is an incredible sandbox game with an amazing story. The main aspect of the game is the story, it's a pretty good one. The story has a few twists here and there and the characters are great too. Grand Theft Auto IV focuses more on the story and missions rather than activities to do outside of the story. There's not a whole lot to do except go to a restaurant or bowingGrand Theft Auto IV is an incredible sandbox game with an amazing story. The main aspect of the game is the story, it's a pretty good one. The story has a few twists here and there and the characters are great too. Grand Theft Auto IV focuses more on the story and missions rather than activities to do outside of the story. There's not a whole lot to do except go to a restaurant or bowing or something. The complaint I have about gameplay is that there's absolutely nothing to spend your money on. A person could easily accumulate over $750,000 but there's nothing to buy except weapons and clothes. The technical complaint I have is that the driving isn't the greatest. I feel like my vehicle is going to tip over or drift off around the corner at any time. The multiplayer of Grand Theft Auto IV is pretty great. It's fun to hang out with everyone in free roam or do some racing and missions, it's a blast. Grand Theft Auto IV is a great installment of the series for its compelling story, and it also introduced multiplayer for the better of the series, it's an amazing game. Expand
  42. Jul 16, 2014
    "Grand Theft Auto IV" is the most overrated title of the Xbox 360 generation. The game is fun, yes. And it has an unbelievable amount of content, including it's own TV shows and internet. The game is also incredibly boring for long stretches of time and stiffly animated to the point of making motion in the original Xbox look cutting edge.

I know what's going on. GTAIV has an epic and

I know what's going on. GTAIV has an epic and cinematic start. The first few missions of petty beatdowns and car theft are fun. The characters are interesting in a way most video game characters are not. That's about as far as most reviewers go. If you play the game the whole way through, like me, you suffer through long car rides between missions, missions that repeat from the start due to random deaths, and string of boring dates and man-dates. Statistics show that most GTAIV players will not finish the game, and I cannot blame them.

GTAIV ultimately proves that a bigger sandbox is not a funner sandbox. Hardly any buildings can be entered, so the game world is one big fake parking lot. Police chases escalate quickly but always end with Niko running out of range or paying a small fine after exploding in his car. And the story really does drag on to long to the point where I really stop caring so much about Niko and only about my own obsessive need to finish every game I buy. Really, I would rather write about how great this game (I am giving it an 8!), but this GTAIV isn't an underdog story.
  43. Jun 11, 2014
    I know a lot of people loved this game and it got a lot of hype, but I dont think it was all that great. Yes the graphics were amazing (for the time), and yes the cars got A LOT better. But the only thing is it was kind of a let down. I know it looks a lot better, the graphics, the cars, the missions, but people forgot to look at somethings. The fact that they took out so much from whatI know a lot of people loved this game and it got a lot of hype, but I dont think it was all that great. Yes the graphics were amazing (for the time), and yes the cars got A LOT better. But the only thing is it was kind of a let down. I know it looks a lot better, the graphics, the cars, the missions, but people forgot to look at somethings. The fact that they took out so much from what was in the previous GTA'S like San Andreas. They did add a lot of things, and it does look a lot nicer but they took away too much stuff that the bordism kind of took place often. Now im not saying this game sucks or anything like that, im just saying it was kind of a big let down. Although there were a lot of cool new features. The graphics had a HUGE improvement. And the story was an actual story. Recommendation level: 6/10. Expand
  44. Jun 10, 2014
    The best game ever made on the xbox 360. Great story. Amazing open world with endless exploring. This game was well designed and a lot of thought was put into it's creation.
  45. May 1, 2014
    Watch cutscenes for 20 minutes. Drive somebody somewhere through a barren, empty wasteland for 10 minutes. Follow a car for 5 minutes, get too close, start mission over from a spot 20 minutes away. Do this 12 times. Change clothes. 10 minute cutscene. Drive 10 minutes to a clumsily controlled 3rd person shootout. Run a hooker over or something supposedly hilarious. Drive someone inWatch cutscenes for 20 minutes. Drive somebody somewhere through a barren, empty wasteland for 10 minutes. Follow a car for 5 minutes, get too close, start mission over from a spot 20 minutes away. Do this 12 times. Change clothes. 10 minute cutscene. Drive 10 minutes to a clumsily controlled 3rd person shootout. Run a hooker over or something supposedly hilarious. Drive someone in a taxi somwhere. 10 minute cutscene. 20 minute cutscene. Drive an ambulance off a roof. Yep, another cutscene. You get the drift. The writing, characters, story and such are top notch, but the actual game itself is a steaming pile of dogsh*t used to fill in the gaping holes in between all of it Expand
  46. Mar 8, 2014
    A lot of people claim this is a dull GTA game, and say San Andreas is better. San Andreas had more replay value, but GTA IV's story is one of the most underrated stories in a video game ever. It knows when its a good time to be serious, and when it's a good time to be humorous.
  47. Feb 24, 2014
    The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission,The biggest problem with GTA IV is the lack of being able to control your movements. The accuracy is poor and will always do so that you end up in trouble. Camera angles do not contribute to make your life easier and the challenge is instead to be patient with the clumsy steering. What makes things worse is that the game has no checkpoints during a mission. If you die during the mission, you have to redo everything, you even have to drive to your destination.
    Another flaw is that the game's protagonist Niko Bellic who feels very flat and boring. The opposite could be said about Tommy Vercetti in GTA: Vice City.

There are certainly some good things to say about GTA IV, but because of the things I mentioned above do so that everything else relevant end up in the background. The great city that you will have access to will not be interesting if you can not move in it without getting pissed.
  48. Feb 18, 2014
    The worst game in the GTA series! The history is boring, the engine is poor, mobility is the worst, missions are boring! The worst bet of Rockstar! I consider lower than the average!
  49. Feb 16, 2014
    Just 3 words. One big masterpiece!!!!!!

But forget about the boat like car handling and some of the unnecessary features like sex appeal and fat in. San Andreas.
  50. Jan 21, 2014
    Wow. GTA IV is absolutely perfect!
    I simply can not express how much I love this game. Besides its heavily improved graphics (compared to its predecessors), the game also offers a fantastic story and great protagonist, Niko Bellic. Multiplayer mode is enjoyable and there's just enough room to cause chaos if you wish to do so.
    But this game is not just about free-roaming around Liberty
    Wow. GTA IV is absolutely perfect!
    But this game is not just about free-roaming around Liberty City and killing pedestrians. It is more dependant on its story. That's why I think some people were slightly disappointed about this game.
    It's really not similar to other GTA titles, but it still amazes me. I think this game deserves every recognition it gets and every high rating it obtains. Because it's simply amazing!
  51. Jan 18, 2014
    It wasn't till the release of GTAV that I stopped playing GTAIV, literally the day before I was driving down the sidewalk of times square and throwing bodies everywhere with the hood of my car or punching a bum then hiding behind a business man so the bum hits him by mistake and then watch the following fight. This is a game I kept finding myself returning to because it is darkly fun whichIt wasn't till the release of GTAV that I stopped playing GTAIV, literally the day before I was driving down the sidewalk of times square and throwing bodies everywhere with the hood of my car or punching a bum then hiding behind a business man so the bum hits him by mistake and then watch the following fight. This is a game I kept finding myself returning to because it is darkly fun which is the tone of the whole series compared to San Andreas, the fun is darker, the art style is darker and so is the story. Niko Bellic is a top notch character and all the people you meet in Liberty City are also colourful and there is plenty of content to keep you busy for years and this is one of the few games where the DLC is actually meaty and worthwhile. This is not a perfect game, I nearly stopped playing it until I discovered the swing that throws you across the map, a lot of people complain that the driving is hard but I found it fun once you got used to it, my problem on the driving front was that New York does not have the best roads for fun cars. What makes GTAIV miss out on game of the year is the companion missions where you have to take one of the characters for a game of darts or something gay like that. Overall this game is jam packed with quality, I recommend thrashing this game till you have seen everything, especially the funny cartoons that can be found on the TV, the map isn't the best that Rockstar has produced but it is so full of content that a 10 is the only score I can give it. Expand
  52. Dec 31, 2013
    A quarta parte de uma das franquias mais inovadoras do mundo dos game certamente uma das melhores tanto em suas história e personagens e seus gráficos incríveis.
  53. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is overrated. It's rated as the best game of all time by the critics but in reality this game is nothing special. The graphics in this game lack color and they are full browns and grays and this game looks washed out. The graphics are average for a 2008 game.The sound design is pretty average and the voice acting is atrocious. The plot is somewhat interesting but the charactersThis game is overrated. It's rated as the best game of all time by the critics but in reality this game is nothing special. The graphics in this game lack color and they are full browns and grays and this game looks washed out. The graphics are average for a 2008 game.The sound design is pretty average and the voice acting is atrocious. The plot is somewhat interesting but the characters are uninspired and bland. The missions range from being fun to boring escort tasks. The gameplay is alright. It's not a great third person shooter but it's not bad either. Overall it's an average game and the worst Grand Theft Auto. Expand
  54. Dec 23, 2013
    its a good game overall, gorgeous and fast cars, funny at times but one of the biggest cheats i've ever encountered when it comes to missions. very dissapointed.
  55. Nov 27, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV is a great game with a great story, with much positive and some negative reception, from my thoughts, not the "professional" critics. In the game, the player follows the story of Niko Bellic, an Eastern European hellbent on vengeance against someone who had betrayed his military unit in the past. The campaign of the game is perhaps the darkest of any other story of theGrand Theft Auto IV is a great game with a great story, with much positive and some negative reception, from my thoughts, not the "professional" critics. In the game, the player follows the story of Niko Bellic, an Eastern European hellbent on vengeance against someone who had betrayed his military unit in the past. The campaign of the game is perhaps the darkest of any other story of the Grand Theft Auto video game series, which is well received.

Grand Theft Auto IV even follows it up with a sad ending, no matter the decision that the player makes. The developers decided that one of Niko's closest friends must die, depending on the player's choice. At a number of points in time, the player is given a choice, which would have a bad result or would be beneficial. Then, there are points where you literally do not have a choice, but to kill that certain someone.

However, there are some features that must be brought to attention. Even with exceptional graphics, the feeling of Liberty City is gloomy and grayish. Now, I do not know if that is what it looks like in New York City, but it is something worth noting. Another point is that the map is just too small, which is a reason why the player cannot pilot planes. Why not include more of the outlying areas of the states of New Jersey and New York, and not just the urban and suburban landscape? More of Long Island?

For this game, there are additional negative aspects. Grand Theft Auto IV is lacking provided in-game car modification, which is noticeably absent from the game. Instead, Pay 'n' Spray restores the player's vehicle and give it a random color. Now, weapon modification has never been a feature in the video game series, but I think the series is in order for an addition such as that.

Besides those negative features, Grand Theft Auto IV is a great game overall.
  56. Nov 14, 2013
    The game is close to perfect or in-fact perfect in my opinion. It blew me away. The story was very well-written and the characters fit in nicely. The City is simply breathtaking and this deserves a higher user score. Hats of to Rockstar for creating such a master piece.
  57. Nov 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV, has an amazing story line, there are many action packed missions involving many different unique characters as well as completely different situations. The three-dimensional graphics were good. The sound quality was average, I enjoyed driving the vehicles around just to listen to the sound of their engines, it was beautiful.

The multiplayer was generally

The multiplayer was generally entertaining; I have had many great times with my friends while playing this game. The different activities in multiplayer were entertaining, such as, “GTA Race” or “Cops & Robbers”
    Although there are some slight problems, such as, when driving any vehicle in single player or multiplayer the controls are a little wacky. It was difficult to turn the headlights on or off as well as to turn the radio off.

I do enjoy playing this game with or without people; therefore I give this game a 7/10.
  58. Nov 2, 2013
    THE GOOD: Niko is a cool character. The map has some cool landmarks that can make it interesting. Map can be fun to explore.

THE BAD: There are a large amount of issues in this game. The cars control badly, like slippery boats. The game definitely looks like an X360 game but graphics are still not all that visually pleasing. The game removes so much from GTA San Andreas. San Andreas had mountains, countrysides, deserts, small towns, and big cities. GTA IV, on the other hand, is just one city. Gun mechanics could be much more responsive. Way too many cops in this game, which can limit freedom to do crazy stuff. There are performance issues that are annoying. For example, when you drive fast, sometimes you can run into invisible objects, which are textures that have not appeared yet. Cheat codes are also hard to access at critical times because they are put in the in-game phone. When you are trying to put in a cheat code a cop can shoot you and make you automatically put the phone away. It is extremely annoying and once again, limits freedom. There are only a few outfits available to change your character into, which is a disappointment because San Andreas allowed you to change clothes, haircuts, and tattoos in a variety of ways. GTA IV just doesn't do the one thing that is necessary for an open-world game, ALLOW FREEDOM.

Very overrated game. At its best, it can be worth renting to enjoy the things it does get right. Rent it.
  59. Oct 29, 2013
    The most overrated piece of in its franchise. And no, I'm not the only rational being stating this. Through all these GTA fanboys, there's still plenty of ppl admitting to the fact that GTA IV has been SERIOUSLY overrated, and when I say seriously, I mean: SERIOUSLY!
  60. Oct 19, 2013
    grand theft auto 4 is one of the best games I've ever played in my life, it is an almost perfect game, but its only shortcoming is that compared to grand theft auto earlier this game has fewer customizations.
  61. Oct 10, 2013
    GTA IV is a game that I love to call "a masterpiece". My journey with Niko Bellic is one of the most memorable experiences I've ever been at in my life. Exploring Liberty City (one of the most impressive, realistic, visually stunning worlds I've ever explored) for almost 6 months has been so awesome, that I want to play it again, experience it again, and LIVE it again. Despite on all theGTA IV is a game that I love to call "a masterpiece". My journey with Niko Bellic is one of the most memorable experiences I've ever been at in my life. Exploring Liberty City (one of the most impressive, realistic, visually stunning worlds I've ever explored) for almost 6 months has been so awesome, that I want to play it again, experience it again, and LIVE it again. Despite on all the controversy that surrounds it, its elements (stunning action pieces, well-structured storyline, relationships with friends, shocking plot twists/turns, cast of characters, and many activities to do) are flawless and it couldn't stop getting any better. This is, unexpectedly, one of my favorite games ever, and in every bit of respect I love to give it, it would be enormous for everyone to see. After I finished over 100 hours of campaign mode, I come to feel for Niko, who is flawed and desperate to "climb out the hole he trip in" (a underworld full of psychopaths, thieves, loan sharks, crooked people, and gang-bangers). Rockstar has told one of the greatest stories ever told in gaming. It deserves to be the greatest game of the current generation of gaming, but also hold a shadow, along with GTA V, over the next generation, making it look bad. I love to recommend this game to ALL of you to experience. The multiplayer does help with its success, but most of it comes from its single-player mode, which is one of the most memorable experiences I've also ever played, as well. So, I'm gonna make this short: If any of you want to "understand" on what I am saying, now is the chance to PLAY this game, NOW. Expand
  62. Sep 28, 2013
    Grand theft auto IV tiene sus cosas como buena jugabilidad, buenas graficas entre otros factores importantes en un juego, sin embargo no se ateiene a aceptar una buena historia como es la simple historia de la traicion cada 10 segundos entre negros, es un desastre la historia, sin embar va por buena causa
  63. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the most ambitious games ever produced. TASTE LIKE CHICKEN MY COP THIS GAME! EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME DIP IN OIL WITH SOME SEASONING KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? I WONDER WHERE DAT PIZZA HUT IS TOO?
  64. Sep 19, 2013
    Un juego que no prenta ninguna novedad para el jugador.Su narrativa totalmente lineal lo comvierte en un juego que cae ante los topicos que presenta.Graficamente notable y banda sonora acertada.
  65. Sep 19, 2013
    Just a great game if you want to play a GTA game pick up Grand Theft Auto 4 the price is extremely low for this game its a great game the graphics controls and gameplay I just hated the story and extremely boring characters but it does not kill the game its open world sandbox feature is worth a try because its fairly cheap these days
  66. Sep 16, 2013
    I found the game very dull and difficult to get through. The city was very bland and graphically unimpressive.
    The gameplay it self, shooting, driving etc was very boring. The city was boring......the fact that it was just a empty shell really..
  67. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the best game ever made in the World, go rockstar
    people that doesn t like this sorts of game give it bad score shame on you Spela inte spel f-- h------ d-.
  68. Sep 1, 2013
    Great Game ...Great features...Great graphics..The controls are easy to master. Scenery is good. Scenarios are awesome. The weapons are amazing but some features from its previous successors are missing such as the gym and many more. This game's worth buying and playing but it deservedly shouldn't deserve to get any awards.
  69. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  70. Aug 26, 2013
    As being misunderstood by the many who claim this game to be the first downfall for the GTA franchise, I would like to concur on many of the dissenting opinions towards this game. Some are deserved, while others just seem childish. Sure, the driving mechanics are a bit hard to handle, even with the most luxurious of cars, and the use of gratuitous game cheats to give you a whole new levelAs being misunderstood by the many who claim this game to be the first downfall for the GTA franchise, I would like to concur on many of the dissenting opinions towards this game. Some are deserved, while others just seem childish. Sure, the driving mechanics are a bit hard to handle, even with the most luxurious of cars, and the use of gratuitous game cheats to give you a whole new level of gameplay have been removed for the simply stock versions, none of these makes the aesthetic and feel of Liberty City or the game itself in any shape or form deserving of a 2 or a 1. As this being Rockstar's first leap into the clear cut 3D proven successful by PS3 and XBOX, it is really refreshing to actually notice the details and contours of the city, and the people who live in it. The Problem with the previous GTA's was that the graphics, while acceptable enough, made many of the towns feel vain and empty of depth, where in this "new" installment, we get to see a city that is constantly sprawling at every move you make, and I have to give credit to Rockstar to making a world that is adaptive to your actions as well as reactive in a fluent way. Although, with the inclusion of better 3D graphics, there was a sudden shock of grayness and "realism" to the environment, as well as the protagonist you play in. But, in favor of making a character more out of just wanting to live in peace and solidarity with his vicious past against the usual stock GTA character, "Out to make money" and "ruling the world, Tony Montana style", it is quite refreshing to see a character that we can feel with who has a more legitimate reason for trying to get money in a town full of people, lost from the excesses of the American Dream. And with his Cousin, Roman, conflicting against him with his drive and desire to be rich and own the city (an ode to previous GTA protagonists), you get to see more 3rd dimensional characters within the 3rd dimensional world. YOu get to hang out with them, spend time with them, and get to know them, unlike in previous installments where it was job after job without much context inbetween. The cheats have been improved, not by variations, but how you can use them. NOw, you can "dial" the cheats, and once doing so, are implemented permanently on your "cell phone", which can be activated instantly, a much more faster and efficient method than learning a combo move in other installments. And with your phone, you have access to much more implementations around the world, such as calling the cops, taking "pictures", or even delving in the curiosity of your friends phone messages. Combat has greatly improved, with much better cover systems, aiming, and fluency between combat situations. There are no more awkward first person shooting galleries, which helps especially when dealing with a massive crowd. The weapon variation has diminished greatly, however, with only 2 sets of weapons and one special weapon (rpg). Ragdoll physics upon car impacts are greatly improved as well, although running into multiple targets causes major bog with the FPS, both on console and pc (much greater on console, and haven't played the PC, so this is why I am reviewing through Xbox 360). Car damage is much more detailed and exciting, rather than from simplistic skirt and hood tears, the detail being so great that it could contend with Burnout games. Overall, GTA IV was a major improvement on some of the tripes of the originals, and while the fun of the game may had weined in or just substituted for it's massive and varied multiplayer system, it surely hadn't died away. And who knows? GTA V might bring both the fun, over-amped excitement of the originals, while maintaining the fluent and 3rd dimensional characterization and combat from this new installment. Expand
  71. Aug 25, 2013
    Very nice story, and online. The graphics are awesome, the whole game is awesome. It was definitely worth the wait. Can't wait the Grand Theft Auto 5 now :D
  72. Aug 20, 2013
    Since five years ago I can't stop playing this game. The best game of the consoles until GTAV.
    No other game has got me into the story and in the gameplay. No other game has that ragdoll physics. Feels real.
  73. Aug 10, 2013
    the game doesn´t make honorable to the GTA franchise, the story in itself its awesome but besides the missions the game doesn´t has much to offer, compared to the other Rockstar´s games this is one of the worst of them.
  74. Aug 7, 2013
    I get it. I really do

This game is awesome and takes all that is good from the previous GTA entries and makes it great and makes it bigger. Nevermind the obvious graphical upgrade, the story is more realistic. Its just, I have seen this before. I'm not as invested this time around. I don't want to be an immigrant that comes over to my country to terrorize my country to get paid. I
    I get it. I really do

I liked San Andreas ability to truly customize my playable character through clothes and body type.

The radio stuff isn't as good and for a story that is supposed to be so believable, the totality of what Niko gets away with in terms of destruction is absolutely ludicrous.

The missions drag for me and have been done before in previous GTA's. The unlocking of new places in the city is predictable and expected.

I think that is my problem with this; for all of its grandeur, most of it I totally expected. I knew what I was getting into through and through and that was the problem for me.

Its a great game for somebody else and I get that. But for me its just a really good game
  75. Jul 25, 2013
    ▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏┈┈
    ▉▉▉▉▉┈┈┈▕▂▂▂▏┈┈
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔╲▂▕▂▂▂I
  76. Jul 22, 2013
    I haven't played video games since 2003 and that was GTA San Andreas for the PS2. After seeing all the ads for GTA 5 I went out and bought an Xbox 360 and a copy of GTA IV in preparation for September 17th. Man I could not be more disappointed. Boring characters, boring story line, boring environments (How they managed to make Brooklyn boring is beyond me), the streets are way too circularI haven't played video games since 2003 and that was GTA San Andreas for the PS2. After seeing all the ads for GTA 5 I went out and bought an Xbox 360 and a copy of GTA IV in preparation for September 17th. Man I could not be more disappointed. Boring characters, boring story line, boring environments (How they managed to make Brooklyn boring is beyond me), the streets are way too circular and wined-y and make navigating the landscape more annoying than anything else. Visually, the game is incredibly dark and lacking color. No side quests, nothing to do. It's like they took all the freedom you had in San Andreas so you're relegated to the boring story line (and unlike-able characters) they put in place. This release gives me serious reservations about buying the new game. I was bored after 30 minutes. Expand
  77. Jul 13, 2013
    dlvsdfvjdzbvmdsbvdbvhmbzcnvbzsdfmvbsdmvdfhsvbsdmvbdsnmvbsdmvbsdmcvbdzmvbsdmvbdsmvbsdmvbdsmcbdvnbnvbxzvbxcnvbcvmbxcvbdhvbdmbdfhmvbdmvhbdsmvbsdmvbsdmbvdsnmbvmdnbvnxdbvnmbxdvbmcmxnvbdbvdsnv IS THE BEST
  78. Jun 27, 2013
    GTA IV is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but to say it is overrated is a MASSIVE understatement. I have played and completed all GTA games numerous of times and enjoyed them all, but this isn't even the best GTA, nevermind the best game I've played. I completed this twice and chose different routes/paths in the storyline both times. I played this probably more than any other gameGTA IV is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but to say it is overrated is a MASSIVE understatement. I have played and completed all GTA games numerous of times and enjoyed them all, but this isn't even the best GTA, nevermind the best game I've played. I completed this twice and chose different routes/paths in the storyline both times. I played this probably more than any other game because it was a great way to spend time but I can't see what some others see when they say it's the "best game they've ever played'. They must've played some shocking games to say this is the best. Driving is good and the selection of cars is broad and the shooting isn't too bad. I did enjoy the multiplayer more than the single player but what really lets it down for me is after you've completed it. I have a total of 105+ hours of game-time which is a lot, but most of that was after completing the game. I spent hour after hour roaming around the map wondering what to do and could find nothing other than enjoy the odd game of bowling or go around shooting all the pigeons for an achievement the achievements were the only thing keeping me playing it. There should've been something extra at the end something to keep you engaged once you have completed the storyline a couple of times but there wasn't. This is a fantastic game don't get me wrong, but you can easily get tired of it, and just because I'm calling it OVERRATED, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, because I did. 7/10. Expand
  79. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is pretty damn easy.... Maybe it was because I was a bit younger, but San Andreas was a hard game for me! This game was (I believe) the first big release from GTA to be in HD and not 3D, and I have to say... It looks pretty good. For the story in this game, it is decent, but the game play is great and saves the story. And my problem with this game settles in the multiplayer. IThis game is pretty damn easy.... Maybe it was because I was a bit younger, but San Andreas was a hard game for me! This game was (I believe) the first big release from GTA to be in HD and not 3D, and I have to say... It looks pretty good. For the story in this game, it is decent, but the game play is great and saves the story. And my problem with this game settles in the multiplayer. I don't know about the other platforms, but on the Xbox this is FULL of hackers and people that will teleport you randomly and freeze your system. The other 60 of the players shoot you the second you spawn in. I don't see the fun in that! This game was fun, but not nearly good enough for the 98 meta-score and definitely not as good as I thought it was back in '09 Expand
  80. Jun 19, 2013
    It Grand Theft Auto that should cover the review already. I can't tell you how many hours I've wasted playing mulitplayer with my friends. Rock Star cannot disappoint they crafted a great well thought out game with great game-play.
  81. Jun 17, 2013
    GTA IV Has to take the gold for being the most overrated game of all time.

Pros: -Lengthy Story, a lot of gameplay available -Sandbox game, can be played an unlimited amount of times, providing you can find something fun. Cons: -Clunky feeling controls and slow character response -Game is almost becoming a normal life for a criminal, where has all the fun things from GTA:VC and
    GTA IV Has to take the gold for being the most overrated game of all time.

Pros:
    -Lengthy Story, a lot of gameplay available

Cons:
    -Clunky feeling controls and slow character response
    -Game is almost becoming a normal life for a criminal, where has all the fun things from GTA:VC and GTA:SA Gone?
    -Online provides no actual purpose, only a few sketchy gamemodes and a sandbox mode which most players will choose, however nothing really more to it than the story with a few friends
    -Color seems to have flown out the window, the only colors this game using is Grey, black and murky colors.
    -irritating real life style situations, in GTA IV you can go bowling with a cousin, go on dates with girls and generally do things which you can do for real, however in GTA the fun is taken out of it when you are constantly called or text messaged asking you to do certain things, and if you don't, your relationship with the character drops, resulting in a forced,broken up feeling to the idea of a fun criminal game.

GTA IV deserves nothing more than a 4 or a 5/10, with a few fun things here and there, and if you can actually involved in online and find something to do, the game can provides hours, but really, there isn't anything TO do, other than shoot each other and steal a few cars, sound fun? wait until you try to drive them, the car responses will have you screaming
  82. Jun 8, 2013
    GTA V is coming out this year, I thought giving GTA IV a try. Another Rockstar masterpiece or s@$ t stain? I don't think its as good as RDR or L.A Loire (thats just me everyone) but it is another amazing game by rockstar! You play as a man named Nico Belic, who came to Libirty City basically New York) to find fortune with his cousin. However to get that fortune he must kill men, drugs,GTA V is coming out this year, I thought giving GTA IV a try. Another Rockstar masterpiece or s@$ t stain? I don't think its as good as RDR or L.A Loire (thats just me everyone) but it is another amazing game by rockstar! You play as a man named Nico Belic, who came to Libirty City basically New York) to find fortune with his cousin. However to get that fortune he must kill men, drugs, getting chased by cops to earn money for the fortune they were dreaming of and Nico's past still haunts him. One if the best story's in gaming my opinion. Open world in a mini New York with lots of things to do and can explore it by car, boat even helicoper. Multiplayer is great, hard to find matches, but its great. Now here is the Con witch if I didn't have a problem with I would have giving it a 9.5 to 10 is the amount of times it frose on a mission was redicluous and ruined some really good missions. Overall amazing game. Grand Theft Auto IV 9.2/10. Expand
  83. Jun 5, 2013
    This is an amazing game. Epic single player, epic multiplayer. Seriously, i don't know what these negative reviews are saying or thinking, but take it from me, its AMAZING
  84. Jun 4, 2013
    After years of playing this kind of games, I finally play a wonderful game that gives so many freedom, so realistic, that makes the game very dangerous, but at the same time is so much fun. It is a big-smash to your face, or a shot, one of my favourite games, and one of the best I've played.
  85. May 31, 2013
    For eveyone who hates this game i will tell you to please reconsidder and actually PLAY IT for a longer period of time! Messing with the cops and pedestrians is still fun. Doing stunts with bikes and cars are in my opinion even more fun thanks to the new engine. And doing awesome yet simple drifts and such with vehicles is just so much fun because of the realistic feel of the cars. YouFor eveyone who hates this game i will tell you to please reconsidder and actually PLAY IT for a longer period of time! Messing with the cops and pedestrians is still fun. Doing stunts with bikes and cars are in my opinion even more fun thanks to the new engine. And doing awesome yet simple drifts and such with vehicles is just so much fun because of the realistic feel of the cars. You tell yourself after a perfect drift ''i did that! And it was awesome!''. It's just great fun if you get used to the different direction in gameplay.

I love this game and will always do and HOPEFULLY gta 5 will be even greater. And by the way, to the haters, it will keep the realistic feel of this game. Most likely all the future main entries of the series will. So i guess you will just have to say goodbye to rockstar.
  86. May 10, 2013
    GTA IV did some things right. It looked great during its time for a sandbox title and the story was decent if not pretty good. But the gameplay was not. Niko controls like a tank, the cars control like overweight elephants, and the mission variety is pathetic. Add to that the general over-fabricated nature of the city, in ways more so than in earlier games or series like the Elder ScrollsGTA IV did some things right. It looked great during its time for a sandbox title and the story was decent if not pretty good. But the gameplay was not. Niko controls like a tank, the cars control like overweight elephants, and the mission variety is pathetic. Add to that the general over-fabricated nature of the city, in ways more so than in earlier games or series like the Elder Scrolls and you get to me, a game that does not live up to the hype in any way or even close. An average game with a great name. Expand
  87. May 7, 2013
    Maybe my all time best game. sure the game has flaws, but it barely affect me enjoying every minute in this game. I got the key to city achievement, took me like forever, but at the end I just like to do this meaningless collective things in this game, mainly because i like to drive around the city. The combat/gunplay is not topnotch, but I dont care, the game just has massive other thingsMaybe my all time best game. sure the game has flaws, but it barely affect me enjoying every minute in this game. I got the key to city achievement, took me like forever, but at the end I just like to do this meaningless collective things in this game, mainly because i like to drive around the city. The combat/gunplay is not topnotch, but I dont care, the game just has massive other things to do than shooting. I gave the time a 10, maybe a little overrated. I don't think in any way this game is a perfect 10, but I just cannot think of any game is better than this, therefore, after comparison, IMO, this is how a 10 score game should like... Expand
  88. May 2, 2013
    I just played and completed this game again for the second time. It is completely awesome and still the best game I've ever played, great open world way ahead of its time, great voice acting, story and attention to detail.

I decided to play this again in preparation for GTA V and show my son how good it was, he is only 9 and loves the iPad GTA games and loved it too. I'm hoping GTA V will have some filter for kids and open it to a wider audience but even without this the game is worthy of the amazing reviews and score that is here.

If you have ever been to New York you will recognize a lot of the places, structures an that just adds a touch of something extra. The driving and feel in this game is different to other GTA games, the driving is a lot harder and you will have to work to control your cars, with that said its much more realistic, you can't just hurl around corners at almost full speed.

The graphics are probably a bit dated now, but the engine is what really started it all for open world games. New engines such as those in Farcry 3 or Just Cause 2 are better, but they owe respect to GTA IV for doing it first and years ahead.
  89. Apr 28, 2013
    The number 1 rated game on metacritic,I can see why.This game has awesome combat,fun mini-games and really cool veichles.I can't wait to see what they do in GTA 5.
  90. Apr 25, 2013
    Although it may not contain the amount of variety that was provided by San Andreas (which is still the best in the series) it excels in creating a living, breathing open world environment which has not been matched until the release of Skyrim. A must own for GTA fans, open world fans or fans of great games in general
  91. Apr 16, 2013
    Holy hot hell what is with all these inflated reviews of this game?! The game was distinctly average at best! The best thing in this game is playing it multiplayer and just messing around with some friends. Except for that, this game was good, but not the best. San Andreas was the best of the series, this one was probably the worst.
  92. Mar 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto IV is just as impressive as it looks. Although it doesn't offer exciting visuals, or great graphics, it is wildly entertaining, and sets high standards for open world games. Controls take some getting used to, but they make sense for the game's combat style. The story is phenomenal, with strong characters, and an incredible (albeit somewhat cliché) plot. It has plenty ofGrand Theft Auto IV is just as impressive as it looks. Although it doesn't offer exciting visuals, or great graphics, it is wildly entertaining, and sets high standards for open world games. Controls take some getting used to, but they make sense for the game's combat style. The story is phenomenal, with strong characters, and an incredible (albeit somewhat cliché) plot. It has plenty of content, fun missions, and great features. Although the game doesn't have much play value after completion of the main story missions, it's easily overlooked. Grand Theft Auto IV is the best of its genre. Expand
  93. Mar 12, 2013
    This is a best game since,i play the xbox 360 is a
    very very good game and doesn t have any error with the game. This is a expetacular and the best productions of rockstar games. i recommend.
  94. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GTA4 is terrible compared to SA VC. Can't do anything without cops harassing you.. Not even vigilante missions, which is what's the most fun. Just too many cops roaming around very unrealistic. It's no longer FUN to drive a motorbike (controls, easy death, etc..).. The constant phone calls from "friends" gets so annoying, you have to just put your phone on sleep in order to enjoy free-roam play. 8 max RPGs? --stupid. No minigun? Pigeon completion is a horrendous task. Can't fly planes. Can't freely look around the airport. Helis are scarce. Money is hard to come by after story completion. Story missions are good, graphics are very good, and pedestrian reactions are funny. The best thing about GTA4 is the auto-save. At least you can avoid being stripped of $20,000-worth of weapons, or avoid a ludicrous $10,000 health fee and go back to where you left off. I can't wait for GTA IV Expand
  95. Feb 14, 2013
    Laugh at me if you want, I just bought this game from Best Buy because one of my friends convinced me to buy the game saying that the game was good and I had to try it out. I really didn't know what to expect going into GTA 4. When I put the game in, I was blown away how pretty the game looked and this is the first game I've played where I love most of the characters in the story. Niko isLaugh at me if you want, I just bought this game from Best Buy because one of my friends convinced me to buy the game saying that the game was good and I had to try it out. I really didn't know what to expect going into GTA 4. When I put the game in, I was blown away how pretty the game looked and this is the first game I've played where I love most of the characters in the story. Niko is a the main protagonist who went to America from Russia to seek a new life. While in Liberty City, a fictional city in Los Angeles, he meets up with his cousin Roman. Roman is a funny character that's in major debt to Loan Sharks. Niko must help his cousin out. While trying to help out his cousin, he meets a girl named Michelle and wants go out with her, but is side-lined from all the work he is doing to help Roman. The characters that you meet early in the game have their own personality instead of being carbon copies of other characters in the game. I have not gotten far into the campaign, but I really enjoy the game and hope I have more fun with it later on. I encourage you to buy this game. Expand
  96. Feb 6, 2013
    I don't see this game as the "Pinnacle of Gaming" that many reviewers claim it to be. Nor do I hate it for not being exactly that as many disillusioned fanboys have ranted. I see this game to be exactly what it is: Just another GTA game. Great visuals, great characters, great writing, and exactly what you expect a GTA game to be. Overall: Another great entry into the GTA series, thatI don't see this game as the "Pinnacle of Gaming" that many reviewers claim it to be. Nor do I hate it for not being exactly that as many disillusioned fanboys have ranted. I see this game to be exactly what it is: Just another GTA game. Great visuals, great characters, great writing, and exactly what you expect a GTA game to be. Overall: Another great entry into the GTA series, that entertains, but just doesn't add too much new to the formula. A shame in that regard as you can see the potential is there. Hopefully GTA 5 will learn from this and try to be a bit more daring. Expand
  97. Jan 28, 2013
    Just in case you haven't played it yet and you were wondering if the game is still worth playing even though it's five years years old now. Yes. This game is so detailed and more expansive than anything else on the market as of today. Even though the animated characters aren't on par with today's models, the voice acting is top notch and the storyline pulls you along for quite aJust in case you haven't played it yet and you were wondering if the game is still worth playing even though it's five years years old now. Yes. This game is so detailed and more expansive than anything else on the market as of today. Even though the animated characters aren't on par with today's models, the voice acting is top notch and the storyline pulls you along for quite a raunchous adventure of betrayal and revenge. You'll be looking at a total of 90 missions, give or take, so expect a game that will take you a month to play. I found myself liking all of the characters that my protagonist associated with and the main character himself. Outstanding game that only has a drawback on the "save game" issue where if you have to start a mission all over again, you can expect to spend a lot of time just retracing your path to start the mission again. If you haven't played it, now is a perfect time because you can get the two expansions with the main story for only a quarter of the cost of a new game. Expand
  98. Jan 25, 2013
    i think Grand Theft Auto is appropriate for ages 10+ the reason why is because you can censor all the bad language. This is also much like the game saints row it is very similar to Grand Theft Auto and Saints row is also not that bad i recommend it to. so this is my opinion im funzoid and a think Grand Theft Auto is a appropriate game THANKS!
  99. Jan 20, 2013
    Graphics: 6/10 Gameplay: 8/10 Story: 7/10 Voice acting: 7/10 Enjoyment: 6/10 = 6.8 (good)
    The graphics are just a blurry mess, I know it came out 5 years ago but even then it just looked like a blurry mess. Although games aren't all about the graphics so lets talk about the game.
    This is not Grand Theft Auto! This is Niko's Chavy Day Out Simulator. This is nothing like the others except it's an open world in an American city. Where's the funny characters? Where's the funny humor? Where's the funny?
    GTA 5 please bring back the funny.
    Thanks for reading and I'll JackYaLater.
  100. Jan 7, 2013
    In my opinion this is the greatest Gta yet. With its vast detail, great story and amazing presentation Gta IV is an extremely entertaining game. In fact it's not just a game but a experience and a great one at that. Not to mention the infinite amount of time that can be invested in the game in the form of Vigilante and other side missions. Well worth every cent used to buy it. 10/10.

1. It's got a world you believe in, a cast you care about and a script stuffed with brilliant moments... Utterly stunning in every resepct. [May 2008, p.79]
  2. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Rockstar have surpassed themselves, delivering unquestionably the definitive GTA and perhaps the greatest videogame of all time. [June 2008]
    I could go on and on about why Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen and why even folks who are easily offended should play it, but that would be pointless. The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period.