8.1

1. Sep 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everyone says GTA V is amazing, it's not. GTA V is exactly what I wanted GTA IV to be bigger, Funner and moar awesome, While I think to myself "This game has practically everything i wanted, so this should be the best GTA but why is it not It's because Rockstar had made some decisions for the game that are just baffling. GTA V has amazing Graphics, Great story (But had some parts that should have been improved), Great open world, Awesome that they finally added "Busted, Wasted, Mission Passed", And the Character Trevor, Trevor is basically like Joe Pesci from Casino, you know the one where he stabs the guy with a pen, Trevor is almost just like that, But my favourite thing in game is MR TANK IS BACK, yeah GTA IV didn't have a tank neither did TLAD however TBOGT did but the tank was disapointing But GTA V finally listened to me and gave nearly everything in GTA V that I wanted, NEARLY that's there is a reason I didn't give GTA V a 10/10, so now let's move on to the game's weak spots.

1. Franklin
    I hate this character the first mission that I played with him, that's where i started to hate him, he's bossy, he's boring, he's bland and uninteresting and he could the worst character since Roman Belic, I didn't give a about him or his gang. The fact that he's a main character is just, it's not smart.

2. What game is this ?
    When I played the first 4 hrs of this i didn't know what i was playing, It's because GTA V feels like 4 GAMES smashed into one. For example the new activities such as hunting, I mean i've seen that in Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider, and all those games did it better than V, the shooting resembles Max Payne 3 is GTA trying to compete against Max Payne WTF. Then there is an attempt to out do Max Payne even moar by having slowdown time in V, Slowmotion in GTA is strange could have been good if it was done right but I don't know. Then GTA V starts to rip off Midnight Club by having the same style.

3. Nothing New
    There is lack of novelty in V and what do i MEAN by that well, GTA 3 When it came out it was so new because of the 3D open world and it was so revolutionary Then Vice City comes out and the new things was that the main character could actually speak and you could relate to him. San Andreas Comes out and bunch of newer things were in it like the gameplay was improved and moar customization was in it. GTA IV had NOTHING new to bring to the table and that's why it sucks. Now GTA V comes out there is nothing new ok maybe the graphics and that you have dogs in it And then someone might say, oh but it has multiplayer, yeah that's not new that was already in previous GTA'S, and some other might say: You can play as three different characters. Yeah Well guess what in GTA 1 you had a choice of like 5 different characters to play as, not new. So I don't see why this game has a higher score than GTA 3, GTA VC and GTA SA.

So I'll finish this review by saying that overall GTA V has great/ Very good things in it but come on did you really think this would be a better game than 3, VC or SA, nope definetely not.

+ Graphics
    + Fun Multiplayer
    + Tank is back
    - Franklin

GTA V deserves an 8/10.
  2. Sep 19, 2013
    This is a 10 rating to balance out the idiotic 0 star reviews from jealous PC users. Go win some hats in TF2 and piss off with your unfair reviews. Game gets a 10 obviously, best game of the year.
  3. Sep 20, 2013
    gta as everyone knows is brought to you from the developers of red dead and la noire. primarily set around 4 characters out to score big in the fictional city that is las santos through unnecessary violence and far to much use of the n***er and moth*****ker words, that me personally finds it a cheap way from the developers to get a reaction. The characters represent everything i hate in a person, I know the gta series has been known for elements of grand theft auto (obviously) violence, prostitution, drugs trust me i know i have been playing them off and on from the very first one, but with gta5 everything feels cheap, forced and unnecessary. I found it impossible to fall in love with the main characters and therefore didn't feel any attachment to them and thus didn't truly devote to them as characters. the car handling mechanics all feel the same from one van to the next one, and from one bike to the next also. the god awful car shooting mechanics where the aim is also the trigger button, and with that you have to carefully estimate where the reticule would be. the cover button is poorly exacuted as well and aims throughs doors when your stuck to a frame, plus the reticule is a pathetic dot for every none scoped gun, even a shotgun which makes no sense because shotguns have a greater spread with them. the mission status only shows up after you complete a mission, and on many occasions i have said to myself i would of done that if i'd a known, but you can replay misisons to get better scores which i think is another cheap unimaginative way to invoke replay value. i lke the camera to be very sensitive and the aiming reticle to be quite low, but you can't do that in this game, only change the overall senstivity for both analog sticks. the city is huge though and does ever so deservedly boast that, but you can barely go inside anywhere most doors i went up to denied me access, and the activities like for example tennis, shooting range, yoga, are superficial and once you have tried it, there is no compelling fun element to go back. plus in my own personal opinion everything feels rushed and monotonous. I find it quite frustrating that everytime i do a mission or enter a cutscene my characters clothes change, and you are limited on personal customization, and the skill levelling is awful i would rather not level up at all and all my characters have thier own personal skills, because you can level up every skill with every character there is no individualism and therefore everyone of your four main characters loses their unique touch and aspects. The flying aspect within the game is terrible as well, feels to sensitive and sucks at all the fun of it. im just glad i can sell it to a mate for £40.00 and thus only losing out on a fiver. Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2013
    GTA V being very overrated is probably the worst thing about Metacritic User Reviews.

The Game is brilliant, an easy 8-9/10, but it isn't perfect, Murky Textures and somewhat dull activities are highlighted here.

Campaign is interesting,the world is Huge and messing around has never been as fun on a GTA game, but if you're reading reviews and want a genuine answer of the games
    quality that isn't biased about how its 'perfect' or 'terrible' this is what you need to read.

Pros:
    Huge World
    Storyline
    Characters and General Improvements to them
    Pace

Cons:
    Textures
    Activities (while fitting to the game, tennis isn't something i want to spend my time on GRAND THEFT AUTO doing.)
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    Very dumbed down car handling. It is pathetic and I bet that was made for all that casual players that dont know nothing about real world physics etc. So that kids can have fun in stupid games but when they grow up they are making car accidents because they have no idea about real car handling. Pathetic game because of what they did to car physics. And that funny ability to rock car back on wheels hahaha another feature for dumb kids. GTA is so childish that it hurts. I will not buy that game. I only hope that good moders will fix that pathetic childish car handling on PC version. Also add speedometer, fuel usage and stuff that will make this game more real so it will not look so much dumbed down. Expand
  6. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is by far the best of the GTA-games. It's BIG world, play area or what you want to call it is enormous. Great story, even if it isn't that originell... but I guess it's quite hard to think of something that hasn't been done before. Everything is cliché today.
  7. Sep 18, 2013
    One of the greatest games I've played in my life. The massive scale of the world along with the story make for a ridiculous amount of things to do. How can people say that they added nothing new? The three character story is something I haven't seen before and makes for a dynamic story. the improved shooting and driving makes the game feel so much better than gta4.
  8. Sep 17, 2013
    Its a great game. Not the second coming. It doesn't have many new features but has refined the GTA IV formula perfectly. This is clearly the peak of the hardware platforms as graphically it struggles to pull off its ambition. Technically its superb but I keep thinking that it is a damn shame they had to 'tech down'.

Best game ever? no, but it could have been a 'Best gamer ever? Yes!' if
    it was on newer hardware.

But everyone should experience this cool, smart and HUGE world.

9. Sep 18, 2013
    It is certainly the MOTHER OF ALL GAMES. The game of the century, that's until GTA 6 comes out but this is definitely the BEST game on earth.The graphics are amazing and the feel of the game play especially when driving is fantastic. There is so much detail about every small little thing! Rockstar have been making amazing games and this a BLOCKBUSTER.
  10. Sep 20, 2013
    I loved every old Rockstar game and GTA game up to and including San Andreas but hated GTA 4, (Red Dead Redemption was o.k.). I love arcade mode State of Emergency. Judging by this I suspect they never will make another classic. It's better than GTA4 (not hard) but it looks tired compared to recent games. The graphics suck bad. Really bad, but graphics aren't everything...but they suck. The controls are awful. I don't know why people keep saying they are so good. Play Crysis 3 and tell me the controls are anything like as good. Its awkward to swap weapon and the menus screens are clunky. The characters are tired and hackneyed and whilst I can take a bit of that I'm bored of the rockstar cliches. Good bits, well its a lovely big open world with well all the cool normal GTA stuff in that you like. Choice of guns vehicles and now the welcome 'character' abilities are a positive step. I like the way you can flit between characters for heists. It adds another much needed dimension. Radio shows are still funny with some truly awesome tunes. All the hype is a bit much though for what it is. Its o.k., maybe even as good as san andreas was at the time but with graphics and better competition from other great games. I have gone straight back to playing 'The last of us' and 'Fallout 3'. Buy if you would accept more or less anything from rockstar but if you want real deep innovation you will be disappointed. Expand
  11. Sep 18, 2013
    The journey of the three protagonists and their pursuit of the dollar in the beautiful, sun-drenched state of San Andreas is a breath taking experience. Quite simply put, this is the best video game I have played for the current generation of consoles.
  12. Sep 19, 2013
    I think I've been spoiled by the recent influx of really good third person shooters and open world games. Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row, and others have all added a good mix of fun and great ideas to the genre. And because of that, I feel rather unimpressed by GTA V.

The story is weak, which isn't really that surprising since most GTA games aren't known for their depth, but I was actually
    really invested in the stories of Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire, both of which are of course Rockstar titles. None of the main characters really appeal to me, they're not funny or clever, and after 30 hours of doing just story missions I find myself really let down. I get that everything is a parody, that the political cartoons on TV and the jabs at Facebook are pop culture references, but none of it is really making me laugh. The side characters like Jimmy and Tonya are just obnoxious and I keep wishing I could permanently drive them off a cliff, but I can't!

As for gameplay, the driving is really bad, and with cars being the center of the game mechanics, that's saying something. Cars don't feel very different, they don't seem to have much weight to them, the GPS is really archaic and detracts from other things. There are clipping issues with items along the road and the car physics still seem way off. Shooting from cars is horrible, I mean who the hell thought it would be a great idea to make shoot and target the same button? That kind of stuff is unforgivable in 2013, especially since other recent games have it so much better. Movement is clunky, it feels like it hasn't improved a bit since RDR, I constantly "bump" into people and annoy them even though I clearly didn't even touch them. Moving around the house or inside areas does not feel nice, it feels like I'm moving a fridge rather than a person. Why is it so hard to actually stash cars and have a garage? What happened to my customized cars? It feels like Rockstar didn't put much thought into making car management very fluent, and again, when cars are so prominent in the game, WHY is it like this? Also, the mission rating system is ridiculous when you can't even seen the requirements for different medals before or during the mission.

The side missions and activities are all over the place, they're not deep enough to be good simulations, but they're also not good enough to be arcade style mini games. Tennis in particular is terrible, so why even bother putting it in when you don't make it any fun or any good? Managing stock markets, browsing the internet, watching TV, going to strip clubs, etc, they're all kind of boring and I felt no need to do any of them ever again.

Character customization is average, it's nowhere near as fun as it is in Saints Row, and so far I haven't found anything worth buying at the clothing stores in Los Santos. The leveling system for stats is not fun, since you can't really tell you're getting better at something until the game tells you. There's no way to track progress, which makes it uninteresting. They'd have been better off just making the different characters good at certain things and bad at others, and then just keeping it that way. The fact that you need an iphone app to level your dog is especially when the app itself is unstable and keeps resetting progress. Please don't make external apps that influence in-game stats, it's a terrible idea.

Graphics wise, meh, while I think it looks a lot like L.A. the game is certainly not pushing any boundaries. The aliasing makes everything seem...I don't know, shiny but unappealing? There's something about it that doesn't feel right, it feels a bit too reflective and not real enough. I'm kinda sad that there's no performance capture stuff like they had with L.A. Noire, GTA V looks really old in comparison which is weird.

I won't bother to complain about every gaming site giving it a 10 since it's just a product of this gaming generation, but I will say I'm surprised to see that many normal people raving about it. The game doesn't bring anything new to the table and is quite honestly very boring most of the time. I would have rather had a game like Red Dead Redemption set in a different time and place, something a little more interesting than a recreation of L.A.
  13. Sep 26, 2013
    Poor framerate, poor graphics. Shouldnt have been released for this gen consoles. I would have loved to see this on my PC instead. It could have been so beautiful, but instead they sold out.
  14. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is just AMAZING! amazing storyline, Great missions, alot of things to do, it's muuuuch more better than GTA IV and even better than San Andreas, This game is what I was expecting and I'm sure this will be the game of the year
  15. Oct 10, 2013
    To start off, I'll review this game in one word: shallow. The word rings true while calling to mind any and all facets of the game. A story that masquerades as compelling until it is quickly forced to open up and reveal its hollow interior, gameplay stuck on seemingly perpetual repeat, and dozens of elements that were clearly thrown in only for purposes of making the game look more expansive than it really is. I suppose some of my irritation comes not only from the game but from the way it was marketed. Biggest map ever? Only if you include the miles of sand and rocks that make up the game's underwater sections. Intense interactive heist missions? Only one can truly fit that description, while the others only do the bare minimum required to somewhat pass off as such. The world is no doubt impressive, but ultimately comprised of too much filler and wasted opportunity. So much of the world is incredibly detailed but ultimately useless and boring, and every time you come across an area that has the potential to defy that pattern, Rockstar has decided to neglect it (presumably to release it in a dlc pack later on). Really? The racetrack and CASINO (among other locales) are useless shells while i can go into a 7-11 and look at low-res cereal boxes? Sure, I can hold up the 7-11 for a comically small amount of money, which is nice considering the other 90% of stores you can't hold up, despite the creators frequently flaunting the new robbery mechanic. As far as the other new gimmicky mechanics, no amount of customization can spice up the relentlessly simple gameplay, which seems determined to etch itself into your head through gross repetition. Of course it's not all bad. The writing is often clever and the earlier missions are definitely creative, which stand in stark contrast to the last few missions, which feel more like side missions and hold about the same narrative weight. I also found the game quite funny, while my friend found it about as funny typhus, so I'd imagine his score to be even lower. The soundtrack is extensive and there are some fun side activities, but ultimately nothing that can save this game from the grave it started digging the moment they started marketing. There is just not enough to do once the story mode is completed, and that which there is feels more like a grind than a fun mechanic. You can't tell me navigating a poorly controlled submarine in miles of nothingness for an hour and a half, JUST to get a stupid collectible, is fun. You just cant! So please stop using mundane collectibles as a means to say "There is so much to do in this game omgggg!" There are several other small gripes I have with the game (such as the fact that they showed video of planes spewing toxic pesticides only to cheat us out of that actually fun mechanic) but I won't go into any more, as they come off as nit-picky. -Now, as I near the conclusion of my review, and many of you cry butthurt pc fanboy, let me say that I played this on 360 and am quite familiar with the GTA series. I'm not comparing this to a deep emotional experience like heavy rain, I'm comparing it to what GTA claims to be, and has succeeded at being in previous installments. A satirical sandbox with an entertaining story and mechanics that add to either the mood or enjoyment of the game. What you will find in GTA V is a dull story, shallow side activities and mechanics, and a city which has much more flare than substance. Also before I go i feel obligated to talk about gta's online feature. I don't even know where to begin with GTA Online. It's a glitch ridden mess, which encourages the complete opposite of what makes gta fun. It would've been much more accurate if they called it "Responsible Money Manager 2013 Where You Are Penalized For Committing Grand Theft Auto and Shamelessly Encouraged to Buy GTA Dollars Through the Online Store". Yuck. Online Freemode used to be such a chaotic and fast paced experience, and I couldn't have thought of a better way to ruin it myself. Obviously none of these criticisms are relevant if you can't even get in, or are unlucky enough to have all of your progress deleted, as is the case with thousands of users. Well, I hope this review helped to save you some money. If only I had read a realistic review before I dropped my precious $60. Expand
  16. Sep 18, 2013
    This is absolutely the best game I have ever played. Obviously, don't pay attention to the troll "0" reviews from people desperate for clicks on their profiles.
  17. Sep 18, 2013
    This game has just about everything you could ever want and think of, and it's only going to get better once Online comes out the 1st of October and Rockstar can add the things that it intentionally left out to make sure it was the most perfect launch possible. I can already see where they've laid the foundation on certain things (the basketball courts, the convenience stores, and other various places) and they'll make those available to us as the time passes through the update and DLC content they make available. Everyone who is posting negative reviews, either hasn't played the game or suck at playing the game. Don't formulate an opinion until you play it for yourself, cause you just might be missing out on the greatest game of all time. Expand
  18. Sep 18, 2013
    It's unfair go give this game "1" score just because it's console exclusive. Eat I'm also PC gamer, I play more on PC than Xbox. But how can you release such a good game on PC, when 80 will download it for free.

This game deserves for 9 vote, but if PC fanboys can give 1, I'll give 10. Screw ya

///Sorry for my poor english.
  19. Sep 19, 2013
    Clearly the best GTA game i have ever played. The world's large, massive and amazing. So many features to explore. The Online features makes the game even more amazing. Rockstar Games's best release ever. I appreciate all their hardwork in making a superb game like this Thank you Rockstar Games!
  20. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is a 10 out of 10 and any of the reviews giving it a 0 are just trolls upset that the game isn't announced for PC yet. I assure you, a PC port is coming. GTA has never not been released on PC. Red Dead Redemption gets brought up a lot but that was made by an entirely different studio. The code was a mess and porting it would have been a nightmare so it never happened. The game IS coming to PC, just a little late to the party.

GTA 5 is a masterpiece in almost every way possible. Every bit of the mechanics, the story, the world, it is exceptional. Rockstar North know how to make open world games, and they knocked this out of the park and it deserves every bit of the praise.
  21. Sep 20, 2013
    The game is fun, but the Xbox 360 version keeps freezing every 10-20 minutes on my Original Xbox 360 (No HDMI version). It is frustrating to have to replay missions over and over and hope it doesn't freeze.
  22. Sep 29, 2013
    I'll cut straight to criticisms.

Camera is still surprisingly slow on maxed out sensitivity. You still have to tap A to sprint or peddle bicycles faster. Left trigger to ADS or lock on for melee which unfortunately is still not as versatile or interesting to witness as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. You shoot with right trigger and you can't switch it with left trigger without switching
    sticks. Like in GTA IV you tap right shoulder button to cling to walls which while less clunky and more immediate will often slap you against a surface that has an open line of fire from the enemy.

There are a few differences. Crouching is a stealth action. The weapon wheel; engaged by holding the left shoulder button. Not only can you carry every class of weapon in the game but every model and you switch them by picking weapon class with the right stick then scrolling through models with directional buttons. You trigger sticky bombs by tapping left, while selecting weapons in a vehicle is done by pressing X. Needless to say it's convoluted and often even illogical.

Early on you'll notice how much easier the game is in some ways and more difficult in others. In both cases to the detriment of the experience. On foot, eliminating an enemy is a breeze due to far less recoil, lots of aim assist (yes, even in free-aim), and bullet magnetism. This leaves gun fights feeling shallow. To counter this difficulty is amped up by having more enemies per encounter leaving your health bar to erode faster. This holds true even in vehicles with them serving in no appreciable way as armor. You'll need body armor when engaging in a gunfight. I'll go into further detail why that's an issue when I touch on how the game's economy is a problem. Either way, if it's not as fun shooting one enemy as it was in the previous game you're not going to want to shoot even more of them.

Speaking of vehicles. They are a lot easier in every way. Accelerate and reach max speed faster. Decelerate almost instantly in comparison to GTA IV. Even the heaviest class takes turns as sharply as a formula one car. Further, when airborne you can control a vehicles yaw, pitch, and roll like they all come with an elevator, rudder, and aileron. This goes a long way in harming suspension of disbelief. Planes are a different story.

Much more can be said on the subject of cars, though. As if being less distinguishable from each other wasn't enough sports cars are everywhere. In GTA iV you quickly learned the characteristics of most vehicles and gravitated towards certain models, fully appreciating when they pop-up. You completely cherished sports/super cars and saved them for races and more difficult missions. In GTA V it doesn't matter. You can pop into most cars and they'll get the job done. Not only do they handle like go-karts they have their physics as well. Mach trucks will fly sky high at the slightest bump and vans can easily be shifted 45 degrees by kicking.

Physics in general are a step down from GTA IV. Nothing feels like it has weight including dumpsters which now feel like empty cardboard. Crashing is inconsequential. Even the damage model is bungled with the hardest collisions leaving minor scrapes. It's a testament to GTA IV that failing was as fun as succeeding. In GTA V it's hard to fail and it's not that much fun to succeed. Maybe this is by design. It's a big world. You'll need to get from mission to mission. With all that space this was their slipshod solution.

The missions themselves aren't handled much better. The side missions often have some scripted event and interesting character interaction to introduce them. Once that's done you're left with a painfully dull task that outstays it's welcome. Triathlons, Yoga, Towing Vehicles, Golf, Tennis which isn't bad itself but one set requires you to win six games. Against a good opponent this can go on for nearly half an hour. Bowling in GTA IV might not have been particularly engaging but it knew it was there for little else than flesh out a game world and it's characters.

You'll need to do missions for money which there's a scarcity of. I mentioned you'll need body armor but the average mission will pay for about two of those and hospital visits are insanely expensive. You'll need to buy up businesses (vary by character) which will pay too small off an amount weekly. To improve pay you'll need to do missions for these businesses. Some are time sensitive. Factoring in travel time, too sensitive. You will need to make investments. The biggest cash ins are during corporate sabotage missions. If you missed out. You're SOL.

On the subject of messing up, you will and then the cops arrive. They get provoked by as little as jumping face first into a wall never mind hostile actions. Even at one star they aren't easy to shake and one star takes too long to disappear but it can turn into two stars for no apparent reason and things escalate from there.
  23. Sep 20, 2013
    Just like the other GTAs, I got bored of this after messing around using cheats(the best part of the game), seeing the highest points of the game and being disappointed. Driving cars is the best part and that's not executed as well as other games do.
  24. Sep 19, 2013
    Take GTA SA and remove the loveable characters controls and missions the also the areas and add 3 more boring scumbags and a extremely boring world and you got GTA V I have no idea why this game is so praised
  25. Sep 22, 2013
    Let me first start off saying, ignore the crappy one star reviews, which are just fake reviews hating on a game that he or she has never played yet, they're just haters trolling the Amazon and Metacritic user review section..
    Now then, the game is the absolute masterpiece that many suspected it would be with it capitalizing on GTA IV's efforts, bringing back in some parts of San Andreas
    and effectively blowing it out of the water. The shooting has been refined to the likes of Max Payne (without the slow mo diving of course), shooting results in realistic reactions from enemies and never becomes tiresome due to the medium difficulty and A.I. in the game and awesome physics.
    The level design is spot on with outlandish action including the character switching and special abilities within the missions. But it does have one minor flaw. Sometimes you might get a mission failed for performing an action that the game didn't plan for you to do, hence scripted events. This is a very minor flaw but is noticeable.
    My favorite part of the game is the story itself which feature three very distinct protagonists with different motives. The most outlandish would be Trevor, though he may be hated upon due to an action he performs when you first meet him. For many, he may be extremely fun but he will also be the one that is hardest to relate to the most. He is a psychopath and he knows it and it doesn't stop from being judgemental and letting everyone else know what's wrong with them. He is the character who knows he's trash and he deals with it by doing what he does best. Causing chaos. The intertwining stories are spectacular and is a delightful contrast with its dark violent somewhat upbeat action comedy drama to GTA IV's dark, moody, and violent drama on the depiction of the supposed American dream in the eyes of a disappointed man (though they're both different, both stories are a tie for me in terms of which is best.)
    The game does a great job at making you feel like you are part of the world within GTA 5 with its side missions, radio shows for everyone's taste in music and spectacular scope and visuals in general.
    The game pushes the barrier in violence and makes no excuse for it, as it should be. Though there is a mission that I found in bad taste that rose a lot of controversy. Eventually as I thought more on it, I understood the meaning of that one scene, but in the end, I will still dread coming across that scene in my next playthrough.

If you are a fan of crime dramas, character study and development, satirical comedies, or in playing something that has a story that no other game company has accomplished before, then buy this game and I guarantee once you put a few hours into it, it will be one of your best games of all time, as it is mine. 5/5 and 10/10 for me. Not an exaggeration.
  26. Sep 18, 2013
    I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that this game is "where GTA 4 should have been", and that it's just a sub-par sequel unfortunately placed at the end of a console generation. People saying that GTA5 included things that GTA4 should have had, but they exluded due to laziness, or marketing strategy... What?

First off, this is thee most expensive video game ever made at $266
    million, whereas GTA4 was right around $100 million. There's a reason that they couldn't include intricacies like planes, semi-truck trailers, or drivable crashable trains; they spent their budget bring it to next-gen hardware, with which they did a remarkable job considering the circumstances.

As far as my 10/10 score, this game has brought all the things I loved from all previous Rockstar games, including Red Dead Redemption's improved movement mechanics and weapon wheel, Max Payne 3's improved shooting mechanics, Midnight Club LA's vehicular customization and on-road handling, GTA4's introduction to the Euphoria engine, and, well... Rockstar's Table Tennis's tennis mechanic (ok the appreciation of that was a joke, but don't be fooled because those methods were still incorporated).

Arguably, the production cost of this game surpassed the $266 million quote we were given just on the sole merit that everything from this game was pulled from the best of their previous games, meaning that Rockstar's entire history of games has been a research and development process just to deliver their magnum opus; Grand Theft Auto 5.

I own a gaming PC, why? For insane graphics. Am I complaining about the graphics on the 360? No. I, unlike many PC enthusiast wannabes, understand that the visuals that are able to be pumped out on an elderly console generation is... miraculous. Considering the limitations, the aesthetics are beyond amazing, and it was breathtaking when I drove into Los Santos for the first time from the mountains.

There are only two minor complaints that I have, but not enough to ding my score of the game. 1) the mountains surrounding Los Santos appear to be a little less detailed that I would have thought. It's a tiny bit immersion-removing because when you're walking or driving on it, it feels like a polygon with a grass texture, rather than a mountain. 2) The transition time between the playable characters takes roughly 3-4 times longer than advertised on the gameplay trailer. It zooms out quickly, moves over quickly, but then sits there for 5-10 seconds while it loads and populates the area before zooming in.

Overall, I think it is thee most memorable game I will have ever played, and arguably the best game ever made.
  27. Sep 23, 2013
    The gameplay is fine, the graphics are very good, but the characters and story are a huge turn off. I made it about a third of the way through the story and just stopped playing because I couldn't relate to or enjoy anything that was going on it just is not motivating to play.

The sandbox elements of the game are fine, but there's not enough there to motivate you to keep playing,
    unless you find goofing off for hours and hours entertaining. Me, I find it fun for 10 minutes.

I keep trying GTA games because so many people love them, and I keep being disappointed. I just don't get it. The story isn't any good, the characters aren't relatable at all, and without that, there's no motivation to keep playing more than a few hours. Overhyped and overrated.
  28. Sep 18, 2013
    Simply put, GTA V improves upon what has worked in the past and gives us more than enough to keep things fresh. From the polish, to the content, to the detail, to the storyline there's not much this game doesn't have mastered. I could go on and on about the things i do like but i think it's better if i go through what i don't like... nothing. GTA V is a prime example of a company putting time and effort into their game. Just like Bethesda, Rockstar is one of the few video game companies left that takes pride in their product and goes above and beyond expectations. There is no doubt in my mind GTA V is the best game of the Xbox 360 era and most certainly the best GTA to date. Once again Rockstar sets new standards and puts everyone else to shame. Expand
  29. Sep 17, 2013
    for those who give 0's and 3's, please check yourselves in a mental institute, do something good for mankind!! this game is the new benchmark for open world games, if not the best open world game of this generation and previous too. the only downside for me is, this game is so packed with content and my time to play isnt ilimited, i started to play and looked at the clock, it was 9h later..... and i barely did 6 out of 69 main missions xD i see many PC gamers just being juvenile, well i do own a high-end PC too, ps3 too and obviously 360, but when i hear "pc is huge market" well........ it proves the ignorance..... yes PC is hardware superior, no doubts but as gaming platform it have a very tiny slice, meanwhile you see games selling 3/5m on each console platform, on PC you'll see 200k PC is expensive to build and its very troublesome regarding bugs and glitches....... Expand
  30. Sep 17, 2013
    Why do people like to troll the user scores of every single big game is beyond me! Why the jealousy!!? Anyway.. I'm talking as a fan so excuse me if I seem a bit biased, but believe me, this game is PERFECT! It's the best game I have played since Red Dead Redemption! GTA V is so ambitious it might frustrate you! So many things to do, a huuuuuuuuuge map, a very good and long storyline. Amazing graphics. Everything is perfect! Expand
  31. Sep 18, 2013
    They game is great! I love the story, the mechanics, the driving mechanics are superb! the graphics are also amazing for being on a 8 year old system.
  32. Sep 17, 2013
    Okay so I've been playing this game for a whole day straight, I never got bored for a millisecond. The vehicle handling has improved like crazy. Unlike GTA IV, that had a glimpse of repeating the same thing in missions (just a glimpse) but this game has 0 out of 10 when it comes to repeating stuff, there's a lot to do (a lot). Missions are exiting, sometimes, in cut scenes I felt like I'm watching a good comic-action-thriller film, it's written incredibly smart. The game looks gorgeous, it's one of those games that will blow your mind, even on old 8 year old consoles. Loading screens are a bit long, but it's really nothing that should really bother you. The game is smooth, runs great, my console worked hard all day because I've been playing this all day, but nothing has changed, the game is still smooth and beautiful. The detail in Los Santos is amazing, it's hard to believe the game is only 16 GBs. The 'three protagonists' idea is works like a charm, and its' very funny sometimes. Character customization, is good, you don't have a lot to choose from when it comes to haircuts and beards (maybe some will be unlocked later in the game) but clothes look good on you, there's no texture problems and the choose is very colorful. And now for the characters: Michael, is a miserable, rich, family man, with a horrible shrink. He is suffering his 'midlife crisis' or 'family hatred'. He has his skill similar to Max Payne's 'bullet time'. (and you can actually make him look like Max Payne) Franklin is a CJ type gangster, his special skill is he can slow time while driving, and handle VERY well. And finally Trevor, he is a psychopath, absolutely crazy, I think the most ridiculous character the open world genre has ever seen. Mercy is not on his vocabulary. His special skill is to go crazy! He can take less damage and deal a lot more damage, while the screen is red, and you can hear him screaming out of joy.

So I think I covered everything I could, this game is just loads of fun, everyone should get it, whether you are a shooter type guy, a driver, or just a looker at the graphics, I give this game a 10/10 with joy, Rockstar has done it again.
  33. Sep 19, 2013
    Is it "the best game"? Doubt it. Does it have a place on top ten games in gaming history? No. Maybe in top 10 games for this generation. But while we remember the best games of C64 or NES, some old PC gamers remember what they have played on their first XT, XBOX 360 can be quickly forgotten. And I am sure as hell, we will see GTA 6 on XBOX One.

What makes GTA 5 so important then? The
    fact that when everyone streamlines and dumbs down games we see record sales from a game that does something else, and tries to offer more and more depth. No budget cuts, no "always online" requirement, no tricks to force people to buy. It simply delivers quality and people buy it.

It is a shining example of how things should be done.

But it isn't much more. People say "rehash" and name only the tennis and the 3 characters as new. Well, and you have a brand new story, it is longer than an RPG. The world is more detailed than ever. And whats even better guys. But modern day GTAs are famous as art as well, because how they portray values of the western world. And hey, we have a real american family.

But lets check one big change: How we can choose between different tactics, how it increases replay value. I am sure most of the reviews missed this point as well. Do you like this change? I do. And it shows that each and every GTA has something new. Something new, useful, and valuable. This is why a lot of people can preorder it anytime.
  34. Oct 13, 2013
    This is the most overrated game ever! It's poorly designed, with a stupid 3-heroes gameplay and primitive, but damaging role-playing system, Cars in this game are steering so badly, that it's be better if there is was no cars at all! And made race mission at the beginning of the game evil decision,

There is no atmosphere at all and a bunch of overplayed chars. This game is 100% money
    lost for some piece of unplayable crap. Expand
  35. Sep 18, 2013
    The best GTA yet. It starts you right off into the action and keeps it going without getting in the way of you exploring the vast world. Would highly recommend for anyone who enjoyed the previous GTAs.
  36. Sep 17, 2013
    Everything about this game is top-notch,the graphics,the story,the gameplay.This game is AMAZING,one of the best games ever made and the best GTA game.
  37. Sep 22, 2013
    GOTY Subito

Personally, GTA5 was the best game of this year. Although it misses some of serious issues that GTA4 took, I can clearly say that you will be going to enjoy this game.
  38. Sep 17, 2013
    Brilliant game this.
    On another note, do not go by the negative votes; those are mostly from the SAME person who is a butthurt fan of whatever series that he loves.
  39. Sep 17, 2013
    It really doesn't get any better than this. The world has changed a lot since GTA IV and this game is again ahead of its time. People who vote 0 because its not on PC etc should have votes removed by moderators and allow people with xbox version to vote on it.
  40. Sep 18, 2013
    Rockstar has created the crowning achievement of this generation. A true Swan Song as we near the end of this incredible console life-cycle.

Not only one of the best games of this year, it's one of the best games ever made.

Enjoy.
  41. Sep 18, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto 5 is an awesome game its way better than 4 because the story is so much better because there's 3 characters instead of one so different stories that go together. there's so much you can do in GTA 5 that when i started playing i didn't know where to go you can play tennis, race etc. Now the map, the map is extremely huge its twice thee size of gta 4's map, there's wilderness you can hunt animals Expand
  42. Sep 18, 2013
    I hate these retards giving it a low score just because it's not for pc, I mean come on! This game is amazing with superb graphics, a great story and interesting missions with replay value. It's a huge detailed world which is satisfying to explore.
  43. Sep 19, 2013
    I am not kidding when I say that GTA V is the best GTA game ever. It's essentially San Andreas with prettier graphics, awesome heists, and 3 lead characters.
    I wont even say anything else you need to experience GTA V for yourself.
  44. Sep 17, 2013
    in my vision, it's like sleeping dogs, bur is the best gta EVER, love it love it
    waiting for my play station for play this game, here we gooo best game man, best game!
  45. Sep 19, 2013
    Incredible game! Rockstar have done it again, creating a real living world and providing a fun experience. Ignore the low reviews this is really something!
  46. Sep 17, 2013
    Mind-blowing, the size and detail of the world will leave you wondering how they ever managed it. All physics have been overhauled so nothing feels awkward or jumpy, whether on foot, driving, in a shootout, it all feels slick and easy to handle. The driving in particular is a lot better than previous versions, it feels more like the early 'Driver' games than GTA. Some stealth sections play a lot like Manhunt, which is a nice touch. Being able to drop in on any of the 3 main characters at any point is great fun. I can not comment on the on-line side of the game yet, but the single player has to be played to be believed.......... 10/10 Expand
  47. Sep 17, 2013
    People are not so set idiosyncrasies grade of 0 and no other reviews that have been written by retarded morons so to speak, rating a game with a 0, only poor people living reviews you well, this is a great game, much better than the gta 4 since in this release fix the mistakes they made in the first, I must emphasize the great mapping is the best, and of course its great duration that is appreciated. Expand
  48. Sep 17, 2013
    I made an account just to say this. Do not listen to the negative reviews. I'm sure that 90% of them havent even played the game and are just rating it bad because it is not on PC. The game is a modern masterpiece. The world is huge, the writing is funny and believable and the graphics are GREAT for 7 year old hardware. If you haven't already, buy it.
  49. Sep 17, 2013
    this game is pretty so detailed the cities and everything. 3 characters 3x the fun. This game has so much freedom. This game has improved so much from the previus game gta iv. the driving mechanic, more freedom. Seriously alot of freedom. It's like real life simulator but it's limited by technology. Rockstar must've put a huge budget into this game. 10/10 coming from a dedicated CoD player
  50. Sep 17, 2013
    I love this game!It's amazing how fun it is,everything is so well done and fantastic,GTA IV is a joke compared to this masterpiece,if you enjoyed any past GTA games,you will love this one,because is the best GTA so far.
  51. Sep 18, 2013
    I've waited years for this. This is not a game, this is an experience. My life has just been upgraded thanks to this masterpiece. This is the best thing that's ever happened to me since Friday night, when I managed to pull some bird that's 10 years older than me and smash her back doors in and she crapped all over the place. True story. Fun times. Peace out. QJ.
  52. Sep 18, 2013
    I bet with all of you that 80% of the people who low-rated this game never played it before. It's kind of funny how they blame this masterpiece because there's no good arguments. Just some haters doing what they do best: hating something.

To say: this game is amazing at all. All its details are well designed: the story, the map, the atmosphere, the cars... EVERYTHING!

This game will
    be the GOTY 2013 easily because everything deserves it and this isn't overrating, okay?

Play this game with your mind open, feels the entertainment inside you and then you'll understand how amazing this game is.

Rockstar, two things that I want to say to you: thanks and congratulations!
  53. Sep 18, 2013
    Hey Hey people who say it's the same as GTA 4, have you actually played the missions? I haven't gotten far in but already, I can see it's a huge improvement from gta 4. I feel a lot of these bad reviews is because it's on current gen consoles, and also cause it's not on pc. A good review rates the game, not the platform the game is on. Also, it's been in dev for 5 years, they're not just gonna take 5 years of dev time and bring it to next gen that quickly. And the pc thing, yes it sucks. But that doesn't mean the game sucks. Expand
  54. Sep 18, 2013
    GTA deserves a higher score than an 8.1 since this game is simply brilliant and beautiful.
    It's an awesome game for this gen wonder what it will be like on next or pc?
  55. Sep 18, 2013
    I think it's funny how people come on here and gives this game a zero. 99% of the people that gave it such a low rating did so because of one of two reasons: 1. They only have a PC and are mad it's not out yet. 2. They are obviously autistic and their mom and dad won't let them get the game because they are afraid their child will cause the next sandy hook massacre.
  56. Sep 19, 2013
    Well I can sure as hell say this is the game you have all been waiting for. Say good bye to commitments, work, uni anything else cause this is the game of the decade.

Much improved in all areas (shooting unbelievable if you recall Red dead redemption you will be in for a treat) Driving (once you get used to the handling its rather excellent also much improved from GTAIV, Yes some
    vehicles do vary in terms of handling but once you tune them up at a customs shop, its an issue of the past) Gameplay Unbelievable, there's really not much more to say its F****** epic Replayability Well need I say more its GTA for gods sakes)

Overall an excellent Game I'm personally about 10 hours in and so far i'm loving it. As to all the haters you all To the rest definitely worth the $60 for over 200+ hours worth of fun Need I say more for when Gta Online comes out in october, Check ****ing mate
  57. Sep 19, 2013
    Okay, before you call me a fanboy this game is amazing! Please don't listen to the guys who just hate on its graphics. Voice acting is brilliant, gameplay is smooth, great storyline, enhanced mechanics and pretty much everything else has been improved on. There is so much to do and explore! Randomly generated events and freaks will give you tons of side missions to do. There are so many mini games and jobs. Heists are thrilling and offer HIGH replay ability. The only thing I don't like are the shooting mechanics and the new cop evasion system. Anyway, I beg of you to buy this game and make your life better it will be the game to play especially when GTA Online debuts. Expand
  58. Sep 19, 2013
    I really don't know if I'm playing the same game as some users... I can't imagine how some human being didn't like this game. This is the greatest production I've ever seen in a game. Great history, great characters, best physics ever, fluid gameplay and, well, all that freedom that only GTA brings to us. All the best things of all games of the franchise are present. Congratulations, Rockstar. You made it... again! Expand
  59. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is waaay overrated! The mechanics in this game are sloppy and pathetic! The game is not really entertaining at all. This is likely to turn into a COD game where people just play it for the multiplayer. Franklin is just annoying and a hated character. The driving is bad, and especially the flying is absolutely terrible. You are forced to install the disc 1 of a 8gb installation in order to play. (Xbox One is here! THE fuuuuuttuuuureeeee....) *Making fun of Major Nelson*

Yeah, I recommend waiting for the price to drop.
  60. Sep 20, 2013
    Easily the greatest game of this generation. They have managed to get so much out of the console with this game yet still get a decent frame rate all though I did see some pop in but you have to remember this is an 8 year old console so if you have to blame anything it should be that.

The story is great and if you watch the cut-scenes and listen to the characters talk you get more of
    the back story as you play through the game.

Some other reviews criticise the content of the game but appear to overlook the usual GTA satire on offer as if it never existed before.

If you want to play a driving simulator go and play Forza, if you want to play a shooting game, go and play COD but if you want to play a game which offers you most of the things you want in one game with a stunning setting then leave GTA in your DVD drive.
  61. Sep 20, 2013
    This is the first review I've ever written for a game on my decades on this planet. I've read through probably hundreds of reviews before deciding to spend my hard earned cash on this game, mainly because I was so dissapointed with the previous GTA IV. I have never seen so much high praise for a game, ever. I have also never seen so much hopeless and useless bashing of a game (more on that in a moment). All of the things I felt needed fixing in GTA IV, they fixed, especially the driving mechanics. The first few hours I spent playing GTA V, were some of the most fun I've EVER had playing a game. Fantastic player control, humorous, well executed and convincing commentary, incredible ambient sound and amazing music. The graphics are incredibly polished and like others have said, quite an accomplishment for the 360. Many people are bashing this game for seemingly pointless reasons. Some, because they want attention, some because of jealousy and some because they are just hopelessly ignorant. I say look at user score distribution. Even the people trying their best to pull the rating down for ratings sake are still failing as of this review. Finally, I will confirm as I have read again and again in the last few days that this IS one of the best games ever made and quite possibly the best game that i've played in my life. That is spanning 24 years of gaming, 12+ systems and hundreds of games. The Cake is Done. Enjoy! Expand
  62. Oct 6, 2013
    The single player is very fun, but it is incomplete. The game encourages you to develop heist characters for a total of 2 more heists. There are no further heists you can organise on your own after you finish the game, in fact aside from buying property there is very little to do once you complete the game. As you don't make much money until the last 15% of the game you are left with a game that forces you to complete the story as fast as possible so you can have some money to modify cars and such. The game sadly feels incomplete.

The most telling sign of incompleteness is GTA Online. This is perhaps the worst ever online release I have ever seen. It should really have been ready with the game but this isn't the issue. Having waited for online to be released it took me 3 days to get online. Once I was finally online there were issues loading missions and with matchmaking. You lose a lot of money when you die to encourage you to use your real money to buy in game money which just ruins the gameplay. This micro-transaction mechanism works with free to play games but when I have already spend £45 on the game I don't expect to be encouraged to spend more.

The most irritating the about GTA Online is that my character, after hours of gameplay, has completely disappeared. In a response Rockstar comment on some of the minor bugs such as missing cars or guns instead of the really big issue of missing characters. Poor release and poor support since. I am sickened by the shambles Rockstar's release of GTAO is.
  63. Oct 11, 2013
    In all honesty, I tried to play this game, and I tried... I tried so hard... and what ended up happening was that I was greeted with multiple segments of "avoid damage and drive safely" which to me is just a big step down. It was Driving Simulator 2014 I swear to god. A game is meant to catch the attention within the first hour. I know that the game can get fun, but all the things that you have to do to lead up to that fun is just not worth it. I'll admit I loved the past few games, but they were fun, it threw you into the action, this is just driving along a road avoiding other cars. Expand
  64. Oct 16, 2013
    Most depressing game I've ever played. I had high hopes for the game after all the hype. The magazines etc must be kidding us! They have obviously just gone along with public opinion with their biased 'best game ever', and 'groundbreaking' reviews. I've seen better graphics, better gameplay, storylines etc elsewhere. This GTA thing has been done to death now...Drive around, shoot someone, steal some money, goto a clothes shop, buy a burger, swim around, use the cheats....Nee naw nee naw, some (as the game puts it) swearing non stop YAAAAWWWWNNNNN....They just promote it to make money ...One big cash in. The game is rubbish!
    Ok so the latest GTA game, number 5... First off, EVERYTHING you do in this game takes AGES. This is very clearly a game for people with no life whatsoever. Installing the game takes ages, you will spend hours trying to be able to save the game because it throws you into one boring mission after another (which entails driving around a massive landscape that all looks the same in a boring car (which all steer the same)). You complete the mission which goes on and on with endless chit chat and a (as the game puts it), saying 'pus£y as£ motha£u£in homeboy hoe' and 'move chor bi$ch as% fatherfu&ker homey' and 'whut id it wit choo (and such things non-stop throughout the game). It will do your head in that much you would rather the main characters got killed instead. Just a bunch of idiot main characters with nothing about them to like. You will murder, steal etc and all the time not give a toss about the person you are playing as...Just pointless. The game is racist, sexist, full of filth, corruption and murder. It's seedy and depressing. It's not a true representation of real life at all. When have you ever heard a rea; 'coloured' guy talk like these idiots they dig out for games and movies? It's like having Samuel Sackson in die hard 3 and an angry coked-up Eggie Murphy shouting in your ear for hours on end... And again it's been done and been done better before. We had all this nonsense in San Andreas with 'CJ'. 'Hey dat man chillin in ma crib homey' stupid talking rubbish. Again; It's impossible to relate to the characters because they are rapists, idiots, thieves and murderers (and worse)...Just scum. The radio drives you off your head and how anyone with an actual real life can play this game I will never know....I mean it's so unnecessarly detailed you can even choose the ringtone on your fake phone in the game or take photos with the phones camera, check texts, messages online etc. It's just too much for a game. Fake girlfriends, fake friends etc etc. Wtf? Get a life folks! The strip club is a joke. I mean if they are going to have all that stuff why not just go the full hog and put in detailed sex etc instead of beating around the bush with a bit of tittie here and there? The game is just a cop out. It can't even do the violence and sex thing right without shi&&ing out. As I said, EVERYTHING takes ages in this game. I went to play it online thinking "I've got an hour to kill (before i went out to live in the real world"...But It went on and on and on with some coloured guy showing me around (another idiot) saying this, that, sh^& hoe bit&hin motha&^ka that for hours again, only to drop me somewhere in the world with more criminal activity to do as I controlled another lowlife (myself this time which i created with the character creation which is also totally rubbish (you pick your granny and grandad and their granny and grandad to get your looks). I played the game for a few hours (which was pretty good going) and after all the drugs, violence and utter boredom I was begging someone to take me into the shops to trade the (sh%t) game in...I couldn't wait! The main characters are cowards too which makes it even more unbearable and when angry go into little girlie hissy fits etc...They reminded me of wanabees on x factor getting told they can't sing and then they go all spotty and teenage and display their little temper tantrums....Just pathetic. I usually buy these games to drive around the virtual world with my steering wheel. On this game the wheel doesnt work (it works with every other car game). Nothing of use actually works in this game. Even the cheats are rubbish. No lock wanted level, nothing. Your forced to just play the dull, sick storyline. Who wants to play a game hearing throughout non-stop some bit$% as£ hoe, complain about their sad life all the way through a game? There are 3 characters in this game...3 whingers that do nothing but complain about their rubbish pathetic lives and see violence and behaving as an idiot as the only way out. They all have mental issues and see phychologists, take drugs, drink etc. Hardly a cheery game and not something I would pollute my mind with. I took this back to the shop the next day, sorry I ever bought it. Everything about this game bored me stupid
  65. Sep 25, 2013
    Now that GTA V has been out for over a week and people have had time to sink their teeth into the real meat of the game, we can finally start seeing some honest reviews about the experience, from start to finish. It's no surprise that the game is pretty good as reflected by its sales and media buzz, but I feel that all too often the media exaggerates the quality of a game like GTA V and frustrates people that were expecting that kind of quality. GTA V has quite a few problems, actually, and I'm going to bring them to light.

First of all, the visual style of the game is great. Played it on the xbox and was surprised to find some great lighting, a great sense of being in an expansive world, and some stunning looking water with cool displacement physics. Characters, vehicles, and the environment look generally great. It's when you start getting into the countryside that things fall apart. Terrain has gross, tiling textures making up a lot of the landscape with some poorly detailed, sparse vegetation here and there. The desert area simply looks awful. Framerate is at the very least as inconsistent as GTA IV, though the drops are not quite as severe.

The controls are once again a point of issue. On foot and driving controls are generally tighter, but for some reason your ability to free aim has taken a hit, especially in vehicles. Awkward weapon draw times and clunky aiming out of the vehicle makes it impossible to steer and hit your target. The camera doesn't help either. Each character has their own set of skills and abilities that you can upgrade through use of whatever that particular skill requires. Improving these skills didn't seem to have too profound an effect with any character, especially sneaking, which seemed to work brilliantly regardless of how far the skill was progressed. The only real change I may have noticed was weapon reloads becoming slightly faster with shooting upgraded. Big whoop.

Gameplay is solid for a Grand Theft Auto title, but apart from a few cool new setpieces and the more complex structure to heist missions, it's generally the same old drive here shoot this guy sort of deal. Scripted chase scenes are still the absolute worst thing in this game featuring completely invulnerable AI drivers that are always faster than you until some arbitrary point where life is breathed into the husk of the car and you notice the suspension physics taking over. Speaking of heists, they're yet another disappointment. There are only six of them, and all of them have two ways to take your score. Each one has you going around town collecting items and vehicles needed for the gig before actually going for the score. The bad part is that the later heists have you collecting a lot of objects and not doing a whole lot with them in the end. You spend more time preparing than you do actually taking scores! What makes this even more frustrating is the inbetween side missions and activities. Most of the strangers and freaks missions fall prey to boring, formulaic GTA gameplay. Go around searching areas for cars to deliver, or go around searching for something to steal, or just go chase down and kill some dudes, maybe bring something back. Most pay next to nothing, and unless you really enjoy the dialogue in this game so much, there's no real reason to do these. SIde activities bolster stats, but they really just function and that's it.

Notice how I mentioned that getting paid is a problem with side missions? Well, this problem extends to the rest of the game. Outside of missions, there isn't a whole lot you can do to earn cash. Buying property is probably the best way, but to do that you need money to begin with, so until you've done most of the heists (and missions in the game for that matter), you'll probably not really have the money you want to get the things in the game you want. For instance, the very expensive vehicle tuning, which is a luxury you can afford to live without. Then you have the stock market. Other than buying stocks recommended by a character who runs assassination missions and making a little money that way, I stood clear of it.

Now finally, the part everybody loves. The social satire in this game is more often than not hilarious. The only real reason I continued to play this game was because I really got into the writing and the characters. It's not so much that I was doing some of these boring, play-by-numbers missions for the sake of getting through, but so that I could see how the characters would react to whatever crazy thing just happened and what might happen next for this story. Then the game started to progress and I started losing my love for the characters. They really don't undergo any real changes, and sometimes behave in odd, erratic ways that seem like contrivancies to keep the plot moving in a particular direction. Then you have your ye olde Rockstar ending, and I don't have to say anything because it's so obvious what's going to happen. I'll give it a 6/10.
  66. Sep 20, 2013
    While Grand Theft Auto V adds so much more it also takes some things away that may disappoint and frustrate. So back to Los Santos and San Andreas after 9 long years. So is Grand Theft Auto V better than San Andreas? Nope. It lacks the magic that San Andreas had and the story isn't as good. So is it better than Grand Theft Auto IV? Debatable, depends on what you like. The story isn't as good as Grand Theft Auto IV. So does it have better graphics? Being a 32yr old console gamer who has been gaming since gaming began, i can tell you that GTAV not only looks better, 95% of it looks incredible. It really is amazing that this game runs on current gen, what with the insane ammount of content, detail and huge map. It really is the most ambitious game ever created and shows how Rockstar North in the UK are head and shoulders above all other developers by a loooong way. So i said 95% looks incredible, but what about the other 5%? The 5% that doesn't look "as great" is the grass and muddy terrain in the blaine country areas. The wooden shacks etc remind me of the game Alan Wake, but it looks better than Alan Wake (and Alan Wake looks amazing) the grass and mud etc look better than Alan wake, and the trees and foliage look wayyyy better. Also flowers, bushes and long grass will part or flatten when you run through or over them. It's full of neat little touches as usual. Everything else looks incredibly detailed, even butterflies have great detail. The lighting, weather effects and water is just insanely good. So many different types of water and you can't tell where one ends and other begins (Far Cry 3 i'm looking at you) everything is connected smoothley with no visible join lines at all. Even the animals look and move great, as do the characters etc. The thunder and lightning weather effects will make you spill your tea. So does it resemble San Andreas? A little bit. Obviously Rockstar added the character Franklin (who resembles CJ) and the baller gangs etc to add that nostalgic San Andreas feel. The map itself is totally different though, so you won't find too many locations from San Andreas in GTAV apart from the Las Venturas sign and other main landmarks. Gameplay is the same but refined to make things much more fluid and smooth, animations and everything are top notch. While GTAIV went down the serious road, GTAV goes down the fun San Andreas road, which is great and a lot of fun like San Andreas. Audio is also incredible, especially through home cinema system, everything feels and sounds so alive it's impressive. There are also plenty of radio stations and hidden British humour hidden around the map and on the radio stations and TV etc as per usual. The story isn't the best, it's a bit hit and miss and often contradicts itself which is a shame. And some of the voice acting is a bit poo, although fantastic for the most part. For instance, while escaping from the cops my passenger often yelled that the cops were still on us. My character Michael responded with the same 2 lines over and over far too much "Relax i can handle it" "I'll handle this" it became annoying real quick as he repeated those 2 lines every second or so for 3 or 4 minutes. The way he says it is bad voice work too. Luckily it hasn't happened anywhere else in the game mind. So, on to other problems? This is a BIG killer for me. The cardamage has been scaled wayyyyyyy down from GTAIV. The damage in GTAIV was impressive and perfect. In GTAV the cars can take way more punishment and often come out with no signs of damage, even when rolling down a moutain or colliding head on with another car. There is damage, skirts, bonnets and doors will fall off, it just takes a hell of a lot to get them to fall off. You can hit a another car real hard only for the glass to smash and leave nothing but a scratch or broken headlight on both cars. This is a real anoyyance for me. I loved how the cars crumpled up so realisticly in GTAIV. So hopefully Rockstar will make a patch to correct it. It really is bad! Also bike handling is bordering on laughable. Quad bikes hand just like San Andreas, while Motor Cross and other bikes handle real arcady and similar to Driv3r. This spoils it for me as the bikes were always my favourite mode of transportation, but now i hate them. A lot of people have complained about the car handling. I can see why they complain as it is similar but twitchy/arcadey, but i personally got used to the cars real quick, it's just the bikes i can't get sed too. All cars have their own handling style too. Another little anoyyance for me is when driving head on in traffic. In GTAIV they bipped their horns and flashed their lights. In GTAV they just bip their horn. Considering the GTA franchise prides itself on adding as much detail as possible, little details like this are missed, especially when they were in GTAIV. I've found myself missing a few little details from GTAIV like that. Patch the damage and Bike handling etc and this gets a 10. Expand
  67. Sep 23, 2013
    Astounding videogame. I am a huge fan of the GTA series and have been for many years now. I came into this game with extremely high expectations and it delivered. The graphics are amazing, especially considering the sheer scale and size of the game. The missions are varied and fun, and there's always something to do. Whether it's racing,hunting,underwater diving,flying airplanes or simply going on a murderous rampage. The three protagonists(Michael,Trevor,Franklin) are all interesting and fun to play as. The soundtrack is top notch. The gameplay is fluid and an improvement over previous GTA's. It's just an incredibly fun game to play. I give the game an amazing 9.5/10. Expand
  68. Sep 24, 2013
    GTA 5 is a quality game. Disappointed with the lack of buildings you can enter and random character interaction (was hoping for a few more choices when talking 2 random people on the street). 10/10 story in comparison with GTA 4.
    This game had fans of San Andreas in mind. Although the freedom you have in 5 is lacking in comparison 2 SA.
    Worth every bit of $88 nzd price tag.
  69. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GTA 5 sucks balls. Had to restart 4 times because of servers. I will never play the game again. Why also because I had a house cost 120.000 did not save because of sever. Had a sweet car. Then the server went down. Level 32 The game did not save again because of sever. GTA 5 SUCKS BALLS THANK YOU. Expand
  70. Sep 19, 2013
    Rockstar did it again. And by that I mean GTA 4.

They put you in a huge game world, with interesting characters, landscape and all that (and even more now with customized weapons and cars). Then they put all of it in the trash because they're not rewarding you for anything, aside from the story missions. It's a complete joke.

Why was Saints Row so fun? Side missions. Why was GTA:SA
    so fun? Side missions. Why was GTA:VC so fun? Side missions. Do I need to go on here?

So you buy this business, and the manager calls you because some guy is robbing you. So you go there and cap the guy. What does that give you? NOTHING. And if you just ignore it, the result is... the same NOTHING. Oh wait, maybe you'll get $15-20 from looting the corpse.

Or you can rob the two car wash stores in town and get $1000, big deal.

Or you can stumble upon some armored truck and rob it for a few grand, if you happen to find them AND if you're lucky.

Or you can invest on the stock market by listening to tips on the radio. Oh my god, who the hell cares?

Oh and some of the businesses you can buy cost a few MILLIONS.

Like GTA:IV, the gameplay is fun and all, but there is NOTHING to do in there. I really hope GTA Online is the sh*znit, otherwise it's the last GTA I'll ever buy (and I have never ever thought I'd say that back in the SA days).
  71. Oct 16, 2013
    Doesn't live up to the hype. If you enjoy a game that is absolute trash, then heck this game should be a 10/10 for you omg!!!1111 but no sadly I do not like absolute dog so this game is a 0.
  72. Sep 17, 2013
    Despite the banning of many many accounts for the low marks (not the high ones I notice) this game deserves a solid 7. Not the best graphics you will ever see, not the best strory ever. Frame rate issues and lots of clipping and pop-in!! Woeful voice acting. With all this, a good game, solid and enhances the series. But can anyone contest the issues I have said? If it has the aforementioned issues how can it possibly be a 10? Make your own minds up as to the honesty of this industry. Expand
  73. Sep 22, 2013
    Just an amazing game. To rate this at anything less than the 10 it deserves is just crazy. I know I will be playing this for hundreds of hours past the single player story (which is great itself). Is this just GTA4 times 10 in HD? Maybe, but that is saying a lot! The truth is that it's much bigger and better in every way. This could very easily be the greatest game of this generation of consoles. Expand
  74. Sep 18, 2013
    An absolute triumph and the best open-world game this gen.

Rockstar has always been great creatively. Great stories, dialogue, characters, soundtracks, presentation etc. All that has always been great in GTA and still is in GTA V.

But where V differs from past games is in the mechanics. Gone is the slippery driving from GTA IV, or the crappy lock-on combat from the PS2 games.
    Everything has been updated and finely tuned. Whether you're driving, fighting or running around on foot. Everything feels fluid and painless.

Toss in the best and most varied set of missions the series has ever seen with three fascinating protagonists and you've got a hell of a send off for these consoles. Bravo Rockstar.
  75. Sep 19, 2013
    Truly a fantastic achievement by Rockstar games. It's a phenomenal experience and anyone who's played any of the previous games should definitely be playing this. I was skeptical since GTA 4 was a disappointment for me so I didn't buy the game at first but I spent a good amount of time reading user reviews and finally decided to buy. This has the feel of San Andreas all the way and they have really carried through the successes of Red Dead Redemption into this game by having fun, varied missions which have a cool cinematic feel to them and giving the open world much more weight. I stayed away from the hype surrounding this game but man it really looks like this one delivers on all fronts, if there's any way for you to at least try the game if you haven't already just do it, this one must be experienced. This will undoubtedly be in the top 3 games of this generation of consoles. Going back to play, bye. Expand
  76. Sep 21, 2013
    When someone or a group of people make their own masterpiece, its apparent what it is. This is Rockstar's masterpiece. The gameplay is the best I have played in my decade of gaming, the story, while not up to the soul crushing saga of Niko Belic, is pretty good. The graphics are spectacular, light bathing the streets, detailed animation, faces that look life like. The three main characters are great, but of the three its Trevor that stands out. He is disgusting, violent, perverted, sociopath. He is also the best character in the entire game and one of the best ever made. His first appearance in modern times setup the character well. He angers a character, breaks him, comforts him, than immediately stomps him to death. Do yourself a favor and get this game. It doesn't get much better than this. Expand
  77. Sep 22, 2013
    I have never played a game more immersive or ambitious than Grand Theft Auto V. This is easily not only one of the best video games of this generation, but of all time.
  78. Sep 22, 2013
    Let's just put it like this; FINALY, GTA: San Andreas got de-throned. About time!!Just can't wait for multiplayer.It's as huge as gta; San Adreas, but so much more beautifull an all the new suff they add, most Epic sandbox game ever.
  79. Sep 23, 2013
    This game is just pure perfection! It takes everything all the other GTA games did right and, makes em even better and adding even more brilliant stuff t) an already brilliant game
    I love Rockstar Games! The gunplay, think: Max Payne 3, lots of guns super customizable, and alreadt a whole wall dedicated to future DLC
  80. Sep 21, 2013
    I've been playing GTA games since 2001. After playing GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas i was satisfied and ready to move on. There is so much hype around this version. The shooting mechanics and controls are clunky and lame. The cars don't have enough burst of speed. By now Rock Star should make sure everything is polished before release. I don't need another GTA game. I've done everything i could ever think of with the 3 versions i have. Expand
  81. Sep 17, 2013
    A way to say goodbye to this generation. This game capatalizes on everything we've learned and enjoyed during this generation. A masterpiece and obvious contender for best video game of all time.... That will be decided when GTA Online is released and the real fun starts... great time to be a gamer.
  82. Sep 19, 2013
    i really want to say it s a bad game and i was so hyped for nothing but this game didn t give tha chance to eving think of saying this the visuals are great and the gameplay is awesome and even if you dind t love gta you will love this game fir sure and i the tha bad user score are from the who don t have xbox and ps3 thinking that watch can be better than the best game in the gaming hisotr
  83. Sep 19, 2013
    Good game-play wise, graphics look a bit crap. a lot of GTA IV mods look way better, but gets 6 because items magically appearing when driving fast is very annoying if they fix that then I would give 9/10.
  84. Sep 18, 2013
    This game really marked me a totally, playing all my life, games of all kinds, with more than fan for video game industry, this game really would surprise me at all scopes and I can not stop playing it.
    something that caught my attention is that four years ago I have not thought about playing a game 2 times to run, so totally recommended for all types of player from a beginner, to the
    more veteran. Expand
  85. Sep 19, 2013
    Pro: Best Open World experience in gaming history, nice graphics, good sound and music
    Contra: Boring story, incredibly bland and uninteresting characters, the game cant decide if it wants to be serious or like Saints Row.
    In conclusion: Good, but worse than GTA IV.
  86. Sep 17, 2013
    First of all, I really liked the game, and I'm not a hater... but I think that getting a 10 is too much for the game overall. The amount of things that you can do is tremendous, but also the amount of bugs. Regarding graphics, they are "good" (for a 256mb console), but I cannot give them a 10 remembering graphics of metro:last light, uncharted 2/3, gears of war: judgement or the last of us.

Finally, the IA is not very good, and there is a lot of scripted issues along the game. So that's why I think that a 7/10 is appropriate.
  87. Sep 17, 2013
    My xbox is modded and i never buy games legally because i dont want to feel cheated out of my money. But i actually pre- ordered this and paid full price. This is by far the best game ever. Far exceeded my expectations. I dont even care for the next generation consoles becuase of this game. Its a shame because no other company can make a game as great as this. Its like Why continue making games if they're not gonna be as good as this? Expand
  88. Oct 14, 2013
    gta online 3 characters deleted.... why do any game companys go near cloud....... its just when u put 20 hours into a char x3 and have them deleted every time
  89. Sep 22, 2013
    This game it one of the most impressive and well developed i ever seen. Even the little driving through Los Santos to the bigger and surrounding plot. The game delivery a great experience to who love games. Those negatives reviews its just lame, complaining about it was not launch to PC or complaining about when you drive the whole LS you dont have anything more to do, cant understand those people, probably they have about 10 years old.
    If you ENJOY games, you HAVE to try GTA V, you will no regret.
  90. Sep 17, 2013
    Surprise surprise another Rockstar classic This is not just another GTA this is a love letter to all gamers, to the people that put hours in games they love and get rewarded. First of all it's the best looking game out there to date, i mean the level of detail put into creating this huge world was just mind blowing and on the plus side some of the best facial animation since L.A Noire. The story well let me put it this way what Godfather did to movie GTA 5 did to games... I mean all three characters you wanna hate but you get attached to in a weird way, it's just not always you get well written characters that you just wanna know every little detail about them. And Now comes the gameplay well that's the best part, rockstar borrowed from there past games like Max payne 3 and Red dead and even driving elements from Midnight club to give us a perfect combination that really works. So at the end if you loved GTA 4 your gonna eat this up can't wait to jump online!!! Thank you rockstar for giving us the last true epic game for this gen. Expand
  91. Oct 29, 2013
    Yet another dissapointment this year.
    This game could have been so much more.
    crews are pointles.
    you'd have thought that gangwarfare between crews would have been staring them in the face?
    there are no features for crews whatsoever.

missions are repetative at best.
    its extremely glitchy still.
    features missing that have been around since 2001
  92. Sep 17, 2013
    Filled with detail and world size is amazing. Very innovative gameplay with 3 main characters and the world is living. Even after the game is finished the game still has many things to see and do. Can't wait for GTA Online
  93. Nov 10, 2013
    A good game. Not,not just a great game. A LEGENDARY game. There are some flaws in the game,but not every game is perfect and besides,the flaws are so small you can't tell the difference. A must own.

What are you waiting for? Go to your nearest gamestop and buy this thing,and play it with every ounce of your soul.
  94. Sep 19, 2013
    Truly raises the bar for sandbox games. Brings us the best of all GTA's combined, especially Vice City and San Andreas. Phenomenal game, I suggest you go out and buy it now or you'll be missing out on an important cultural event in the history of video games.
  95. Sep 22, 2013
    This is a controversial title in which you play the bad guy(s), if you can handle the outrageous and offensive parodying of popular culture, you will be rewarded. The game ticks boxes in the technical department, with great graphics, sound and mechanics which must surely push this generation's consoles to the limit. The gameplay is fun and surprisingly varied, taking place in a detailed, immersive, and interesting open world. I highly recommend this game for fans of open world/sandbox titles. It is excellent. Expand
  96. Sep 22, 2013
    Innovation? improved graphics? improved physics? clunky controls make it impossible to aim without overshooting nearly every enemy you aim at. Driving feels like L.A. Noire meets midnight club, its like all the cars are driving along invisible rails instead of feeling like they are actually driving along a road. Only the character animations have improved, car crashes look worse than in GTA 4 with little to almost no body damage to the cars. The story feels way to over the top, most of the dialogue is cliche at best, no multiplayer on day 1 release. Oh and the heists... nothing innovative here just scripted action sequences, pay day 2 has better heist mechanics than this garbage. Also lets not forget the horrible frame rate stuttering and pop in. Expand
  97. Sep 22, 2013
    As I played it, I just didn't feel the magic, it just felt, recycled, to the extent that I felt like I was playing a reskin.
    Whilst a must for newcomers, I can't help but feel that die hard fans, or fans of the series, who have kept up with the series, won't feel anything new.
    I give it a 6.
  98. Sep 22, 2013
    This game is near perfection. Rockstar deserves so much praise and thank you from the gaming communit. I hshave laughed smiled and had a ton of fun. Play this game you won't be disappointed.
  99. Sep 22, 2013
    Pretty nice! Awesome graphics, carismatic caracters, nice playability... GTA V did make a new perspective about the actual generation of consoles! Rockstar is great!
  100. Sep 23, 2013
    It's sad to see so many haters. A game like this deserves a 0? Ok, stop the world, I want get off.

This game is the best experience ever created. It is amazing, beautiful, too perfect. Rockstar deserves applause, incidentally, deserves all the money that she is earning, because no other game comes at the level of GTA V.

I still wonder how that graphics can exist even in a world so
    huge and alive, the game actually looks like the new generation, is very impressive.

Play, just play and know what is a real game. And for the haters: shame on you. Why will not play Call of Duty?

1. Dec 12, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto V offers one of the best sandbox experiences ever, filled to the brink with stuff to do. The vistas are magnificent and amazing stuff just seems to happen wherever you go. But at the same time the story is tired and the characters unoriginal. Your appreciation of Grand Theft Auto V will depend of what you want out of the series. The freedom and joy of discovery is hard to beat but the rest still has some ways left to go.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    GTA V continues the game series' tradition of raising the bar for open world action games.
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    Tons of gameplay hours, plenty of missions and activities with an awesome collection of vehicles of various modes of transportation and a large array of firearms put the grandeur once again into Grand Theft Auto.