7.3

1. Jan 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Green lantern rise of the manhunters is one of the best movie games i have ever played unlike games like thor where its just a god of war rip off just with one button spamming, green lantern features so many combo variations where you can combine attacks to create devestating finishers. The story goes great and makes you wonder who the traitor is. also the scenery in the levels is done well in the first minutes. this game definently earns a 9/10 Expand
  2. Dec 7, 2012
    A pretty good superhero game. Not the next Arkham City, I'll tell you that right now, but still worth it if you like superheroes. Personally, I think the critics and the other Metacritic members were too harsh. It's not amazing, but it is certainly worth it. The story could use some work, but everything else is good.
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    Actually not that bad. It looks great, The voice acting is good. The only bad things about it is that its insanely short and repetitive, The combat is too simple, and it severely lacks content. Besides that, Its actually a decent game worth playing (if the price is right).
  4. Aug 24, 2011
    Good fun game! But Please develop a better game Double Helix, what you did with Silent Hill Homecoming was ok, GI Joe was bad, and I looked forward to Front Mission Evolved but still it was messed up. Go back to your roots when you developed Homecoming which is the best game that you guys made.
  5. Cik
    Aug 7, 2011
    Best review ever is right here: http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2011/08/green-lantern-angry-review/

Most everything about this game, aside from the useless point that the story doesn't follow the crusade and that it is in 3-D is awful!
  6. Jun 23, 2011
    Fun fun game! It's not the most stellar thing I've ever played, but it was good enough to prompt me to join Metacritic so I could write a review. I really enjoyed myself. The co-op is fun, the constructs (your battle tools) are varied and creative, and it's about 8 hours long....at least the first time through.
    If you're looking for a fun weekend game with your buddies, this is it.
    I give
    it an A.
    And for the record, it's much better than the film...the stories are different and the game actually makes way more sense, and explained some things I couldn't figure out while watching the movie.
  7. Jun 14, 2011
    The game really shines in co-op mode which is the only mode I played the game in. It's a fun, challenging game with some unique progression built into the experience. For the target audience it does its job.
  8. Jun 14, 2011
    Given that not a single major outlet has reviewed this game yet, it gave me pause as to whether or not I should play it. It's a movie tie in game (bad) it was seemingly rushed out (bad) but has real Hollywood power behind it in Ryan Reynolds (good) and from preview shots of the game, it looked like it was put together a little better than most movie tie ins. (good)

Check out my blog:
    http://cdgaming.blogspot.com/2011/06/green-lantern-rise-of-manhunters-review.html for a more fleshed out review, with visuals.
    The game plays out like many movie/book/comic book tie ins that you've tried before. If you like Spider-man: Maximum Carnage, you will like GL. If you liked Batman Begins, you will like this game. If you liked Thor: God of Thunder, chanced are you will like anything, hence you will like this game. As Green Lantern, you run around, beating up the original galazy policemen gone bad, the Manhunters. (Truly original name, hey). You are a rookie in the Green Lantern Corps, so your skill with the ring will be less that impressive. As you progress with beating badguys up, you will gain experience, thus gaining in capabilities with the ring. Your "contructs", as they are called, are your interesting ways of beating down baddies. You get a giant mallot (which is comical), you get a Giant Mech Warrior, a rope with a blade wheel, a missle launcher, etc.

The story itself in the game is something to behold: it's good. This is a very uncommon thing when it comes to tie-in games. Yes, you have your generic beatdown villains, the manhunters, in their various forms. But there is an overlying story to the whole premise that works well from beginning to end. Not only does it work, but it can neatly seat itself within the canon of DC comics as well. Sadly, DC is rebooting it's universe this fall, so it won't fit after that, but who's counting. You start out as rookie Hal Jordan on the GL Corps home world of Oa, and you are suddenly attacked by the manhunters. Typically in a game such as this, it's just the "we're going to get you" storyline, then "insert movie hero and villain here". Right from the get-go, you start to wonder "why is this happening", and the story leads you to continue that train of thought throughout, to a satisfying , conclusion.

Visually, the game carries itself well. The red and blue 3D glasses option just doesn't work properly, which is sad. The game also offers 3DTV support, butvery few have shelled out for a soon to be dated technology in 3DTV, so we have to stick with HD graphics instead. In their basic form, the graphics are passable. The manhunters themselves are very well designed, but there are only 3 or 4 of them total. One level has you take on purple amazon women, which is a pleasant distraction, but later on in the same level, we see our familiar manhunter badguys trying to run us through again. The boss fights are servicable and will challenge someone who hasn't playing through the game previously. The contstructs for Green Lantern are where this game shines, with that comical hammer and the blasting, and the fighter jet. 12 in all, giving fun and creative ways to smash familiar robots to bits.

Reynolds shares his voice talent and likeness to the game as well, which truthfully is one of the biggest selling points of the game. In a sense, it will validate the title enough for a sale or two. He does a servicable job, but for a good story, the scripting dialogue is lackluster. You get the "noooooooooo!" cry from Jordan, you get the usual "I won't let that happen/ you'll never get away with this" lines... all things that do, in the long run, degrade the experience for the player.

In the end, I believe that this game is for kids more than their parents. It's a basic beat em up that works on the levels that will keep a child entertained and wanting to see the movie that one more time, as well as to build the interest base in what is, in truth, a secondary character in the DC Comics universe. The parents and older players such as myself, have played this exact same game dozens of times before, dating back to Double Dragon, any number of Spider-man games (most notably Spiderman Friend or Foe, as this game feels templated from that one), and so on. Decent visuals and story will keep all players involved, but for about 6 or 7 hours, as the game will have run it's course by that time. It's a great rainy day weekend renter, or a quick pick and flip title for achievement hunters.

Wait for it to drop in price, mom and dad. Your kids will love it, you can even play too, in only for the nostalgia "beat em up" memories.
  9. Jun 14, 2011
    Totally enjoyed this game. Even as a fan of Green Lantern I was nervous about a movie tie-in (they seldom pay off.) but this one has delivered the goods as far as I am concerned. Fun variety of constructs provides a great combination of attacks, which keeps the countless battles from being repetitive.
  10. Jun 13, 2011
    This game is a lot of fun. I wasn't expecting much from the game at all but I must admit I am very pleased. The ring powers feel good; they are slapstick enough to just have a nice cheese level without being corny and cool enough to make you almost feel like it would be awesome to have a ring yourself. Voice acting could use a little more polish but overall it's pretty good. The games graphics are nice. Nothing is too standout but definitely nice enough to make you want to continue playing to see what the next environment will be. I haven't tried co-op yet but if it is like the rest of the game it should be good. this game is worth checking out it plays nice and looks nice. It's nice to be surprised by a game that you thought was going to be bad and find out that not only is it pretty good but it's also a lot of fun to play. Expand
  11. Jun 8, 2011
    This game is short (I beat it in one night) and it's easy (I only have 4 achievements left to grind out), but boy is it fun. Co-op could use some work, as only the first player gets achievements (this is a dealbreaker for some) and the camera zooms WAY out sometimes with two players, but the single player experience made me feel like I definitely got my money's worth, especially since it left me wanting to play it again after the credits. Since I NEVER replay games after I've beaten them anymore, that's really saying something. (FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a HUGE Green Lantern fan, so my opinion of the game might be slightly tainted by a favorable bias. Maybe knock one or two points off my score if you don't like GL.) Expand
  12. Jun 8, 2011
    I played this Co-Op with my roommate because he is a huge fan. The game is a fun God of War clone in the Green Lantern Movie Universe. Very fun. Even the hardest difficulty was well balanced, not cheap. I recommend it to any comic or beat 'em up fan!
  13. Jun 7, 2011
    If you are a fan of sci fi and liked god of war then u will like this game. The weapons and upgrade ability are very well done. It is one of the best games based from a movie I have ever played.
  14. Jun 14, 2011

Check out my blog:

1. A pretty good recycling of a braingougingly boring gameplay template.
  2. Jul 28, 2011
    Quotation forthcoming.
  3. Jul 25, 2011
    Slick but unimaginative scrapper with the odd flying bit chucked in for good measure. Meh. [Sept 2011, p.94]