• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Oct 12, 2011
8.3

1. Oct 13, 2011
    sweet game. it's kind of like golden axe meets street fighter2 with better graphics. the story is a little cheesy but the button mashing is fun. the button combination are easily remembered resulting in some pretty stunning visuals. the only thing that detracts from this game, for me, is the hopping rows gameplay and the pretty awful dailog box art. other than that, it's good.
  2. Feb 4, 2014
    Originally released on the Sega Saturn back in 1996 this Xbox Live remake is certainly a faithful update of this well regarded title and it, apparently, even adds a few new elements into the mix. Features such as a more complicated move set, a branching storyline and light RPG elements helped to make it a step up from previous side scrolling beat em ups such as Golden Axe but in 2014 theseOriginally released on the Sega Saturn back in 1996 this Xbox Live remake is certainly a faithful update of this well regarded title and it, apparently, even adds a few new elements into the mix. Features such as a more complicated move set, a branching storyline and light RPG elements helped to make it a step up from previous side scrolling beat em ups such as Golden Axe but in 2014 these features are commonplace. As a result the games relevance to the current gen all comes down to the gameplay and it is here that I personally found it to be lacking.

When the screen gets busy with enemies for example it often becomes very difficult to see what is going on, an issue that is only amplified by the relatively sluggish controls. Anyone used to playing modern beat em ups such as DMC or Bayonetta, or even 2D efforts like Viewtiful Joe, is likely to become frustrated by this. The gameplay also changes very little from mission to mission. All these issues meant I gave up the game before seeing it to completion.

Very few games that are almost two decades old still hold up today and unfortunately Guardian Heroes is not one of them. If you were a fan back in 1996 you’ll more than likely enjoy reliving what was considered a classic at the time, for anyone else I’d say to give it a miss.
  3. Oct 20, 2011
    Great game. Combine Smash bros and Street fighter with Castle Crashers and you're left with Guardian Heroes . Every character you beat you can play as in the arcade mode. Theres different branching stories and the play through is short but sweet, definitely a game made for multiple play-troughs. Gorgeous sprites, Great Music, and Enemies are never bland or over repeated. The online modeGreat game. Combine Smash bros and Street fighter with Castle Crashers and you're left with Guardian Heroes . Every character you beat you can play as in the arcade mode. Theres different branching stories and the play through is short but sweet, definitely a game made for multiple play-troughs. Gorgeous sprites, Great Music, and Enemies are never bland or over repeated. The online mode works without lag. You can grab a partner and go through the whole story mode or you can battle with the cast of over 48 characters . You can even play as civilians and tiny creatures like rabbits...but so long as you kill them in the story mode ! Great game great fun whats not to like? -The purchase of this game helps the chance of getting a sequel to this great game. Expand
  4. Jan 29, 2012
    Its unfortunate that people think this is a button smasher. Although you are able to win or play by smashing buttons at some point, there is a lot of skill involved in the game. From counters to forcebacks, timing, mastering combos, reflects, and of course, your reaction time is important in any fighting game. The game is pretty well balanced if you know how to set the rules up. As a proIts unfortunate that people think this is a button smasher. Although you are able to win or play by smashing buttons at some point, there is a lot of skill involved in the game. From counters to forcebacks, timing, mastering combos, reflects, and of course, your reaction time is important in any fighting game. The game is pretty well balanced if you know how to set the rules up. As a pro gamer, I'll say that this game is awesome, worth spending hours on just to improve your skills, and worth getting. More info on ranked matches/tournaments, combos, etc at http://www.guardianheroes.net Expand
  5. May 21, 2012
    If you are a fan of the old school scrolling beat-em-ups that seem to have had a bit of a resurgence on XBLA and PSN in the last few years, then this game is definitely for you! Considering it's a game that was made for the Sega Saturn quite a few years ago it has lots of features modern iterations of the genre have only now started to use. Your characters can be levelled up in differentIf you are a fan of the old school scrolling beat-em-ups that seem to have had a bit of a resurgence on XBLA and PSN in the last few years, then this game is definitely for you! Considering it's a game that was made for the Sega Saturn quite a few years ago it has lots of features modern iterations of the genre have only now started to use. Your characters can be levelled up in different ways depending on your play style and it has a branching story that gives the game massive replay value. Sure it's easy to sit and finish the game in a single playthrough but when there are so many unlockables and different characters to play with you should really be comparing the games length to a beat-em-up (street fighter, Tekken). Each character has a decent move set way above par for the genre standard, plus an additional versus mode and arcade mode (Which is like a survival mode with tonnes of enemies on screen) add a decent bang for your back. All in all well worth the money. Expand
  6. Jul 5, 2012
    Wow, I played the original and I am once again totally blown away with this game. Not only do I get a fully remastered version with updated graphics and online play, but I can still play the classic graphic style if I wanted to do so. Guardian Hereos is like combing games like FInal Fight, Street Fighter, D&D (Arcade baby!), Knights of the Round, etc. Each character has their own set ofWow, I played the original and I am once again totally blown away with this game. Not only do I get a fully remastered version with updated graphics and online play, but I can still play the classic graphic style if I wanted to do so. Guardian Hereos is like combing games like FInal Fight, Street Fighter, D&D (Arcade baby!), Knights of the Round, etc. Each character has their own set of moves and you level up to apply stat points between levels. On top of that, you rarely play the same levels twice, as you change areas based on your in game choices. The only sad thing is how overlooked this game is, as it is still, to this day, a one of a kind game. Expand
  7. Jul 18, 2013
    10 is not an enough score to honor this game. And I don't even know where to start when the subject is this game, what aspect of this marvelous gem of gaming I should focus...
    Well let's get started:
    Well let's get started:
    - This game is one of the best(if not the best) STORY MODE COUCH CO-OP. No game nowadays seems to focus this anymore, all you got is multiplayer through online features, and this lack of diversity is really sad.
    - This game is from a time when there was NO DLC CRAP. This game is absolutely complete, offering many possibilites of doing Story Mode, 5 characters for it, and more than 40 characters(!!!) for Battle Mode, a mode for 8 players where you could go 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 1x3, 4x1(god the options are limitless), and the game even accepts 6 players playing simultaneously!!! (That was a lot for Sega Saturn), This game shines on battle mode. Why? It has level options, meaning you can put any character from lvl 1 to 100, and based on their level, game gives you option to edit their stats( Strenght, Agility, Stamina, Luck, Vitality, Intelligence, those kind of things), giving you lots of char. build possibilites.

The story was awesome too, and may I say the Guardian Heroes Opening Theme still brings tears to my eye. Nostalgia of a childhood? Maybe? The joy of remembering one of the best games a hardcore gamer like me has played? DEFINITELY.
  8. Mar 6, 2017
    Amazing game that originally came out on the Sega Saturn back in the day. Was very happy with this purchase on the Xbox store and highly recommend it.

1. Jan 12, 2012
    A must have for all 2D side scrolling beat 'em up lovers, with a lovely graphic style and a perfect gameplay.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    Guardian Heroes is an excellent remake of a beloved beat 'em up from the SEGA Saturn era that fans of the genre should not miss.
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    Guardian Heroes is an idea long before its time. This high definition port embraces the past with its tweaks adding so much more enjoyment to the game, which will surely leave its loyal fan-base very happy indeed with the results. There are changes deemed only where necessary, and is made use of the 360 controller in its full. For 800 Microsoft points, this game is a bargain for fans of the late 90's classics.