6.9

1. Feb 3, 2013
    Doggy-chew for the fanboys. Don't expect any originality or new content for that matter here. Don't believe me? Look at the 10's. Save your money and go buy a quality FPS, like Half Life. Anything beat this turd of a game, really.
  2. Dec 2, 2012
    Distinct sense of "Meh" - the Halo storylines have become weaker and weaker since the original. The single-player campaign is of course graphically gorgeous, but boring and unmotivated as all heck. The enemy AI is seriously dumb; the one redeeming quality is the ability to play coop.
  3. Nov 8, 2012
    Halo 4 is a great total package in terms of both MP and SP, the campaign is short but very entertaining, I have a few qualms with it but it will keep you entertained and this is something previous Halo campaigns have failed to do, also the ending is rather skeptical but this is the beginning of a new trilogy so there is plenty of time to develop and explain the rest of the story and I lookHalo 4 is a great total package in terms of both MP and SP, the campaign is short but very entertaining, I have a few qualms with it but it will keep you entertained and this is something previous Halo campaigns have failed to do, also the ending is rather skeptical but this is the beginning of a new trilogy so there is plenty of time to develop and explain the rest of the story and I look forward to it. This is a great start for 343i and gives me hope that the franchise can only get better from here as they improve as a company.

The MP is a big improvement over Reach due to faster gameplay flow, better bullet registration, less powerful Armour abilities and no random gun mechanics such as bloom in Reach or spread in H3, this gives the game a lot of competitive potential which may take a bit of modification to realise, ordinance drops are a questionable decision but they are only present in the infinity playlists and they often add a bit of fun. If you are worried about loadouts then I can tell you that their effect is limited as the best stuff imo is unlocked fairly close to the start and it allows players to mould weapons, perks and AAs to their play style and it gives the game a bit more variety. One of the most positive aspects of the Halo 4 MP is the incredible balance of the weapons sandbox, there are a lot of new weapons with the introduction of the prometheans and any FPS fan would expect there to be a lot of overpowered weapons and a lot of underpowered weapons, this is not the case as most if not all weapons have a certain use, all power weapons are limited or can be countered in some way and all primary/precision weapons are useful and you can choose them based on your play style and whatever scenario you are presented with. The main problem with the Halo 4 MP is the lack of good competitive 4v4 maps, a problem it shares with its predecessor, none of these maps stand out for me and they all seem mediocre, this is a shame because one of the best things about CE/2/3 were great and memorable arena style maps, I for one hope the DLC fixes this problem. The BTB maps are thoroughly enjoyable though.

I recommend playing Spartan Ops with friends because the story doesn't require very much attention and this will maximise the fun factor, otherwise the missions will become rather repetitive. This mode was brought in as a replacement to FireFight and I appreciate this decision, Reach's FF was so inferior to that of ODST's that I am glad they didn't continue to go down that road, hopefully we will see it revitalised in a later title. Having a new episode released every week is a great benefit for fans as sometimes when you first get a new game you can be overwhelmed with the amount of content there, gradually releasing these over time makes you relax and enjoy what you are currently doing whether it be MP or SP and it also gives you something to look forward to. This is also a great idea from 343i as it will get more people coming back to their game months after release and possibly participating in other features and this will help the long-term success of the game.

Unfortunately custom games options have been downgraded from Reach which is a big disappointment, the game feels limited in this aspect especially from a competitive POV but some things will hopefully be worked out. Theater was downgraded from H3 in Reach and I am sorry to say that it remains that way, you are still unable to watch films with your friends which I found a great way to kill time in H3 so this is disappointing.

This is where my reviews usefulness takes a turn for the worst as I have never been a forge fan so I cannot rate it at this time, the quality of forge will become apparent when community made maps are released into MatchMaking.

So overall I give this game a 7.8/10, the MP gets and individual score of 8/10 and it exceeded my expectations. The campaign gets a 7/10 and it lived up to my expectations. Other enjoyable features bring the average up slightly. This makes me a happy guy and I will probably end up putting at least 100 hours into this game so my money has been well spent, long-term Halo fans needn't worry about wasting their money.
  4. Nov 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 4 is a sad, sorry sequel to a good series. From start to finish, the game underperforms dramatically; the level design is insipid and repetitive, the enemy design ridiculous, the gamefeel vague or even absent. Major plot points and characters pass by without comment from the Chief or Cortana, critical events go unnoticed, there is no air of mystery or wonder. Halo has always been about being pitted against incredible odds in a high-stakes gamble for the fate of the galaxy; this time it feels like a hissy fight between Cortana and a monkey in a ball.

Overall, the game is forgettable and bland, lacking any flair or polish. I regret paying $60 for this game; hell, I'd regret paying $30.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    I've only gotten about 4 and a half hours of gameplay under my belt in the single player campaign of Halo 4 but I've come away with several early - and mostly negative - impressions. Remember these are just impressions and NOT designed to be a full review which means my score may change at a later date. Also, this will be long and Metacritic's lack of carriage returns may make it difficultI've only gotten about 4 and a half hours of gameplay under my belt in the single player campaign of Halo 4 but I've come away with several early - and mostly negative - impressions. Remember these are just impressions and NOT designed to be a full review which means my score may change at a later date. Also, this will be long and Metacritic's lack of carriage returns may make it difficult to read - as usual, I will delineate paragraphs with several pipe characters. |||| First, it's clear Halo 4 uses a modified version of Unreal Engine 3. This doesn't come as a surprise to me as I seem to recall that the engine, itself, was one of the few things Bungie got to keep when they broke off from Microsoft. However, typical Unreal Engine issues like texture pop in and terrible in game text overlays are prevalent throughout the game, often to the detriment of gameplay. |||| Graphically, the game looks nice except for the fact they went crazy with lens flares and bloom effects. I read one user review who made a similar complaint by stating that "if you try to scope in to snipe, your eyeballs will get burned out of your sockets". It may sound like an exaggeration but it is not. The game is heavy on in your face lighting effects which often blind you even when brightness is turned down to its lowest setting in the game options. The best way I can describe it is the same kind of effect you get if you're facing east as the sun comes up over the horizon or if you're driving east into the early morning sun. The glare blinds and washes everything out. |||| The music is decent but it lacks the punch and significance of the scores of the previous Halo titles. A lot of that is because the composer replaced orchestral arrangements with electronic ones. It's a better score than most games but it just doesn't live up to the quality we became accustomed to by the former musical masters of Halo, Marty O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori. Sound effects are disappointing overall. Guns, especially the human/UNSC ones, sound like toys rather than weapons and vehicles sound "off", for lack of a better way to describe them. |||| Speaking of weapons and vehicles, what a disappointment! The Forerunner weapons absolutely suck when you use them but they can two shot you when the enemy AI uses them. This is undoubtedly a byproduct of playing on Legendary difficulty, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that I feel as though I'd be more effective throwing stones than using a boltshot pistol or the lightrifle. Human weapons are vastly underpowered (except the Battle Rifle, which you don't find often) while Covenant weapons are quite powerful (remember, this is regarding campaign, not multiplayer). The Covenant Carbine, which has always been a single shot assault rifle (think of the M1 Garand), can double as a sniper rifle in this iteration of the game. Vehicles, by contrast, handle much differently than in past titles. The Covenant's Banshee and Ghost feel slow and sluggish while the UNSC's Warthog is quick to lose control and go flipping down the path. |||| I haven't really messed with multiplayer much but, so far, it looks like they've tried cloning Call of Duty's "loadout" style with Halo's sci-fi trappings. This doesn't surprise me too much as we started to see this with Halo: Reach while it was still under Bungie's leadership but multiplayer now feels like 343 simply cloned Modern Warfare and called it a day. Even Spartan Ops is basically just a copy of Call of Duty's Spec Ops mode. |||| As a self-confessed Halo fanboy (it's one of the few franchises that I have every single title for), I'm growing increasingly disappointed with Halo 4 as I play it. 343 Industries didn't take any real risks with the franchise nor did they attempt to make it their own. They merely copied elements of what made Halo popular, copied other popular shooter elements for multiplayer, then covered the game in high gloss. |||| Hopefully it gets better. Hopefully I won't run into more quick time events (which have no place in this franchise). At this point, hope is all I have. Expand
  6. Dec 4, 2012
    doesn't matter what we say on here, they sold millions and made millions, they could give a **** less if they create **** games, as long as they make money. The Xbox 360 is extremely under powered, and has been showing its age for a very long time now. The art in this game was the only reason it looked good, otherwise the low res textures, jagged lines, and horrible fade distance justdoesn't matter what we say on here, they sold millions and made millions, they could give a **** less if they create **** games, as long as they make money. The Xbox 360 is extremely under powered, and has been showing its age for a very long time now. The art in this game was the only reason it looked good, otherwise the low res textures, jagged lines, and horrible fade distance just destroyed the graphics on this game. If you like games for combat and no other reason then this game will be perfect for you. If you like depth to the gameplay, and a story that is not serialized, and actually makes sense then this game will be VERY boring. And thats what this game is. Despite the things that it does well with the combat, sound effects, and art, the game in the end lacks an interesting story that makes sense, and has very shallow gameplay. Plus the main story is extremely short. This game can be beaten in a day. Why do they keep making this crap? And now that it has become serialized, its just going to get worse and worse. Expand
  7. Nov 7, 2012
    Same old Halo. Just a teaser for Halo 5 on Xbox720.
    PROS:
    -It´s an OK Halo.
    CONS:
    -You have to read the (great) Halo books (kilo-five and forerunner trilogies) to grasp the plot of this game.
    -Multiplayer has been "CODified".
  8. Nov 9, 2012
    I was hoping this halo would get me back into the franchise, but its just more of the same. So if you are a halo fan you'll love it. But if your not, this probably won't change your mind. Still a solid game though.
  9. Nov 6, 2012
    Quick Review: Graphics: 10/10 Absolutely gorgeous. Cut scenes are better than Wars. Story: 9.5 Greg Bear definitely had a large part in this. Gameplay: 9.5 Slightly repetitive but it kept me interested throughout. Multiplayer: 9.5 Very, very fun, much better than Reach. Dialogue: 10 Brilliant Writing. Soundtrack: 9.5 Average is above 9.5, so it rounds up to 10.
  10. Nov 6, 2012
    My son and I took the day off to play co-op through story like we have with every other Halo game. We loved every second of it. It's not only the most technically impressive Halo to date, it's also the most emotional. If you're a Halo fan, you will not be disappointed.
  11. Nov 8, 2012
    This is my first review here. I signed up just to write this review. I want to start by saying it's really sad and unbiased to watch how many reviewer have given a 0 to this game. It just shows how hateful they are about this game. But again look at my score and you can say I'm overreacting. I'm from a country called Costa Rica and for us is hard to watch the entire world get this kind ofThis is my first review here. I signed up just to write this review. I want to start by saying it's really sad and unbiased to watch how many reviewer have given a 0 to this game. It just shows how hateful they are about this game. But again look at my score and you can say I'm overreacting. I'm from a country called Costa Rica and for us is hard to watch the entire world get this kind of games the same day they get out. After avoiding every single spoiler on the internet, I got my hands on Halo 4. I love this series for me there's no other tittle with so much story in and out the game. I've read the novels and I own a lot of stuff of Halo. Yes I'm a big fan. But not a blind one, I know when something is good and when it's not. In this case knowing that most of the team in charge of creating halo 4 already worked for bungie, I thought halo 4 would be a great game. And guess what, I was wright. Repeating what people have been saying about the game, it has amazing visuals, environment music and awesome multiplayer. The turn of events in this game were well thought and the ending was sad/emotional/great. There's a million possibilities where 343 can take this game from now on. But let's get to the point, should you buy this game or not? IMHO i think you should! You won't regret it you will have a lot of fun with it. Well worth the money. Ah ... and good luck to haters, because as the saying says: "haters gonna hate". Expand
  12. Nov 8, 2012
    So disappointed it isnt multi language (audio) like previous games of halo, not even the multiplayer annoncer is in english but horrible translated to spanish and i cant change it, changing system language & location doesnt work
  13. Nov 10, 2012
    After Reach, I had all but lost faith in Halo and it's apparent new COD clone direction. Halo didn't need to do this, it has a fanboy like following and vets that have played since CE enjoy Halo for it's pure multiplayer which entails skill not cheap tactics. Changing it to a concerted mess of perks and armour abilities (a la CoD) was driving the Halo community away, myself included. NowAfter Reach, I had all but lost faith in Halo and it's apparent new COD clone direction. Halo didn't need to do this, it has a fanboy like following and vets that have played since CE enjoy Halo for it's pure multiplayer which entails skill not cheap tactics. Changing it to a concerted mess of perks and armour abilities (a la CoD) was driving the Halo community away, myself included. Now comes Halo 4 and 343 industries have taken the reigns to create a new Halo trilogy following on from Bungie's original. Now for the most part, H4 rectifies the wrongs of Reach and returns SOME of the classic Halo we know and love, but sadly there is still too much inspiration drawn from Call of Duty. If I wanted CoD I would buy the originators of the Cod formula not transgress to a game that is trying to imitate it. The inclusion of the classic BR along with the DMR is nice and creates a sense of who's better in a firefight. The sprint button is also a welcome addition when you consider how archaic H3 felt without it. However armour abilities/ordnance drops and the new SAW gun are over powered, cheap and again as I've reiterated before too similar to Cods unbalanced MP. Despite these flaws MP can still be fun, especially when playing in bare bones modes like Slayer Pro (which is more like classic halo) and modes such as flood can be a relief from competitive game types. The game is in need of Team SWAT, MLG and team doubles but I'm confident these will appear in due course. In terms of single player this game is typical Halo, Sci-Fi movie esque which does a great job telling a story and the dynamic between Master Chief and Cortana and is possibly the most deep and intriguing story to date for the Halo franchise. It's again best shared co-operatively, especially if you attempt Legendary, the only gripe being it is relatively short coming in anywhere between 4-7 hours. Finally as many have said and will experience for themselves, this game is gorgeous, with sprawling lush landscapes and character facial models bettered only by LA Noire. Expand
  14. Nov 10, 2012
    Its so nuts how short sighted, ignorant and trendy gamers are. This game is fantastic. Despite other peoples opinions on how 343 "doesnt understand" what makes Halo multiplayer and story so good (even though Frank O'Connor and a bunch of other former bungie employees and co-creators moved to 343i and are helming the new Halos) this game fulfills all my hopes of what Bungie should have doneIts so nuts how short sighted, ignorant and trendy gamers are. This game is fantastic. Despite other peoples opinions on how 343 "doesnt understand" what makes Halo multiplayer and story so good (even though Frank O'Connor and a bunch of other former bungie employees and co-creators moved to 343i and are helming the new Halos) this game fulfills all my hopes of what Bungie should have done with the Master Chief and Cortana in terms of characterization and narrative as well as adding much needed new characters into the fold like Lasky(from the kilo five trilogy), the didact and librarian (from the Forerunner trilogy) and sarah palmer. In terms of multiplayer the hit the mark by adding perks but still retaining the balance the series had before. Also i find it funny how people assume that CoD was the beginning of shooters when really it borrowed from predecessors like Halo, Day of Defeat, Counterstrike and Battlefield. Im in no way holding that against any of the respective franchises because that would just be as ignorant and short sighted as most of the reviewers claiming plagerism and ripping of call of duty but i bring it up because almost everything in gaming, as in other art forms, has been done before and will inspire other games so the naive people with the sense of entitlement that every game released should be inovative and redifine the genre should otherwise, it deserves a 0 despite Halo having great production values, compeling story, fun competitive multiplayer and gorgeous graphics should probably stop playing games in general because your they are in for a rough life. Expand
  15. Nov 14, 2012
    weak story mode drives the whole package down but spartan ops is a neat side mode and the mutiplayer. is very good the weapons make for intease battles and are more skill based then reaches they feel more like halo 3s gunplay
    the maps are fun and regicde is a great twist on ffa and the fleshed out zombie mode is very cool
    the graphics are some of the best on the. xbox to date also and
    the graphics are some of the best on the. xbox to date also and the combat feels so much more balanced. the lucky unskilled kills of reach are gone love it so far
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    (the halo 4 story was satisfying IMO, this review is more centered on the multiplayer)

I Love halo, and also enjoy cod on many occasions. These games should be kept separate; converging their features don't make you gain both audiences. 343 said when asked about implemented COD features "Yea we want more of the market share of players, that's the major reason for the change." This game should probably receive around an 8-9, but for a halo game, it deserves a 6, plain and simple. I am a huge fan/player of halo 2, 3 and reach online. Halo 4 fails in my opinion to retain its uniqueness of the halo series. I actually enjoyed the fact that sprint was not inherent in previous halo's, IMO this is a core game mechanic that should have been retained. While the Cod mechanics don't technically make for a bad game, they do drastically change the way the game plays. I am surprised to see so many 9's and 10's from halo fans, I would have thought the changes toward COD would yield 7's and 8's at most. I didn't want ANOTHER Cod, I wanted another Halo.
  17. Nov 8, 2012
    The single player campaign is entertaining up to a point but then you reach a level where you are stuck using the lame Promethean weapons, which look cool at first but feel just like hi-tech versions of the human weapons. 343 are really lazy with level design and there aren't many classic Halo moments of jaw dropping scenery. Lots of the later levels look similar and the final third of theThe single player campaign is entertaining up to a point but then you reach a level where you are stuck using the lame Promethean weapons, which look cool at first but feel just like hi-tech versions of the human weapons. 343 are really lazy with level design and there aren't many classic Halo moments of jaw dropping scenery. Lots of the later levels look similar and the final third of the game is just a slog. I could forgive most of this if it wasn't for the Call of Duty style multiplayer mode. 3 games online and my friends and I went straight back to playing Halo Reach. Massive disappointment. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Surprisingly 343 delivered well, i enjoyed the story, the new gun sounds or different gun sounds, a new enemy, new death animations (the fading out) the story is still a bit holed on a lot of ends, but none of it is major enough to effect the game. I would've loved to here more about the "Librarian", the "didact"(hope i spelled that right), and more about lasky as well as the characters. Del Rio can go to HE double hockey sticks. Great voice acting, from the action series lasky looks very different in game. The AI is still pretty much useless as always. And your really doing everything on your own. Overall i am surprised. Graphics-..., Gameplay-7, New stuff-10, Acting out-10 i haven't played any multiplayer or tried any custom games yet so yea... Expand
  19. Nov 9, 2012
    I'll cut to the chase: the graphics are top notch, best on the Xbox 360. Voice active and cut scenes were superb. The game had great pacing in the first two thirds. Changes the history of Halo in terms of what we "thought" we knew about the ancient Forerunners.

However, there's a lot NOT to like. The game has no third act, no final boss fight, lame musical score (good music, but

However, there's a lot NOT to like.

The game has no third act, no final boss fight, lame musical score (good music, but nothing as epic as the original Halo trilogy), poor level design toward the end, and missing old features (no more dual wielding, no SMG). The game ends and you're literally like WTF, this is over already? It's easily the SHORTEST campaign (took me six hours on Heroic). You never fight the new villain except in a cut scene. Yup, heard right, you beat the villain in a cut scene. The game literally feels like Act One of a three act play, which isn't a good thing. At least Halo 1, 2, and 3 were all complete games with their own full story arch as part of a larger trilogy.

The beginning of the game is fun, tons of fun, but the last third is lame in comparison. They introduce all of the new weapons and alien bad guys in by the second mission so later on in the game you never get any new toys, no new challenges, no new surprises. The fun "race against the clock" missions and flying missions are all in the first half, so the second half is just running through repetitive corridors to active a button, then through more corridors to hit another button, rinse and repeat.

The musical score is good, but nothing that gets your blood pumping. If anything the whole score is just slow, sad, and depressing music. Nothing ever feels epic. Especially at one point in the game when the main bad guy (remember, the one you never get to fight) is slaughtering an entire city of humans. But you don't care. Remember in Halo 2 when the Covenant is attacking Earth? Remember when the game had cut scenes showing the death and destruction, with radio traffic of people crying out and military commanders begging for help as they're being overrun? Yup, Halo 4 has none of that. An entire city is being destroyed and it's like an afterthought in the game. There is NO urgency, no tension, no dread. You just kinda go from one place to the next.

While I was disappointed with the single player, I was briefly hopeful that Spartan Ops would justify the money I spent on this purchase. Sadly, while the awesome cut scenes promised a lot, I was again let down. I beat the COOP Spartan Ops in under 30 minutes. Yup, all six missions, What makes it worse is each mission is nothing but five minutes of running from one button to the next. Yup, nothing more than more "get here, hit button; go there, hit button" BS that ruined the single player.

Overall, Halo 4 felt like one big step backwards. It promised so much but delivers so little. I'm hopeful Halo 5 and 6 will deliver, but until then this game is going back to Best Buy. From now on I'll be renting any games developed by 343 Industries.
  20. Nov 8, 2012
    Halo 2 is probably my favorite shooter ever, I played Halo 2's multi-player for far more hours than I would ever want to count. This game does not live up to Halo's reputation, the graphics are the best they have ever been but in just about every other aspect this game comes up short. The campaign is weak but my real problem is with the multi-player. The matchmaking system is probably theHalo 2 is probably my favorite shooter ever, I played Halo 2's multi-player for far more hours than I would ever want to count. This game does not live up to Halo's reputation, the graphics are the best they have ever been but in just about every other aspect this game comes up short. The campaign is weak but my real problem is with the multi-player. The matchmaking system is probably the worst in any game I have ever played, games regularly start with 4 or 5 players on one team and only 1 or 2 on the other. Taking a cue from Call of Duty they have decided to include kill cams. These kill cams frequently show me getting killed by people shooting 3 or 4 feet to the side of my character or getting splattered by a vehicle which quite clearly didn't touch me at all. The music which defined Halo is also gone. 343 Industries wont see any more of my money, I'm sorry to say that I am done with what was my favorite franchise growing up. Expand
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is just HALO 4 trying to copy COD which equals garbage..................................................................................................
  22. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo has been and will always be a game of brilliant visual and excellent story writing. Often times it holds itself more like a movie than a game. Halo 4 by itself told a new story that, while following the story of the previous games, felt like a new idea. Halo is a game of nostalgia, but this sequel was mostly new ideas and scrapping a lot of the old (possibly overplayed) ones, soHalo has been and will always be a game of brilliant visual and excellent story writing. Often times it holds itself more like a movie than a game. Halo 4 by itself told a new story that, while following the story of the previous games, felt like a new idea. Halo is a game of nostalgia, but this sequel was mostly new ideas and scrapping a lot of the old (possibly overplayed) ones, so people who think Halo Combat Evolved was the best and halo reach was the worst first person Halo game, you're gonna find that this game plays like reach more than CE. They took away most of the things they had in Halo 1 and put in a whole new set of guns and enemies. They kept most of the human and covenant weapons, but in comparison to the new forerunner guns, they seem a little weak, despite the fact that they made basically every gun in the game seem more powerful and accurate. The new enemies are more difficult to kill for a veteran halo player because they fight differently than previous halo enemies. One thing that many people may like is that there are no flood in this game, in fact they don't even mention the flood, or most of the events of previous games at all. But you are back to fighting the covenant, who got a bit of a makeover, but still fight the same and have almost the same guns. This installment of halo did leave me with a few questions, like "where did the master chief get a slightly new suit?" and "isn't there an easier way to do this that doesn't involve me nearly getting killed and us messing around with ancient alien artifacts?" but that is just mild flaws in the storytelling that only slightly take you out of the story. The biggest note with Halo 4 is that in 11 years, nothing has changed as it comes to gameplay. The newer games add slight alterations like suit mods, run features, weapon changes and enemy swaps, but honestly I am still using the same strategy as halo 1. The fact of the matter is you can take that as you want it, for me I like the small changes to gameplay big changes to story but for some people they can play the halo they have and be just as happy. In my opinion I think this game is fantastic and if it didn't have to be compared to the other halo games then it would get more credit. The features they kept were nice, the ones they took out made sense, and the story was new, I don't look for anything else in a halo game. One other thing is that the infinity multiplayer has a strong call of duty 4 influence to it, but it still feels like halo. And they replaced firefight with spartan ops (firefight with a storyline kinda thing) and it plays fine. I give it a 10 because it's worth it's cost and more, and is all over really good. Collapse
  23. Nov 9, 2012
    This game is flat out amazing!! Well everybody has there own opinion, i cannot see why it is getting a 5.7 from user reviews. The graphics are amazing especially for it being on very old hardware, game play is so smooth, the MP is addicting as hell, voice acting flawless!! THE SOUND!!! every weapon has been re-done!! Amazing! There are a few issues with servers and such but im sure thatThis game is flat out amazing!! Well everybody has there own opinion, i cannot see why it is getting a 5.7 from user reviews. The graphics are amazing especially for it being on very old hardware, game play is so smooth, the MP is addicting as hell, voice acting flawless!! THE SOUND!!! every weapon has been re-done!! Amazing! There are a few issues with servers and such but im sure that will be all sorted out. If you like FPS and MP and a great story get this game! Expand
  24. Jul 16, 2014
    While it wears the Brand 'Halo' on it, it really just feels like an 'okay' game.
    The single player mode didn't meet my expectations. Other than a few parts in the single player, the campaign was really boring and forgettable with no noteworthy locations that caught my eye(unlike the previous halo games, this was a first). It's obvious that microsoft is pushing for this to be an 'online experience' by locking away the spartan ops campaign only to those who have an xbox live subscription just rubs me the wrong way since the game lists it even though I haven't signed on Xbox live in months. I really feel like I didn't get my moneys worth this this title and since half of the single player experience is locked away because of microsofts greed I don't plan on purchasing another halo title until this predicament is sorted out, which judging by microsoft's obvious greed it will never happen...
  25. Nov 7, 2012
    Incredible game. It's a shame such an obvious smear campaign is marring a great game's review. The value of this game is amazing. The story is more involved and the cinematics are Hollywood quality. 343 do please keep up the phenomenal work.
  26. Nov 13, 2012
    Excellend start to the new Halo trilogy. 343i did more than expected for their first fully developed Halo game. Graphics look fantastic, the story is enthralling, and the multiplayer is fun. What more could you ask for? This is a must buy for any fan of the Halo franchise.
  27. Nov 7, 2012
    343 Industries have shown us that they're quite capable of making a game that plays like Call of Duty. Now if only they could show us that they were capable of making a Halo game that plays like *Halo*.
  28. Mar 28, 2013
    Halo 4 is just another Halo out there, not much has changed from any of the others apart from updated graphics. I’m quite disappointed with 343 industries they need to step up and make it better game play. Not just updating the graphics then throwing it out there into the market, they need to make something original to draw us back into playing Halo. Don’t get me wrong I think that Halo 4Halo 4 is just another Halo out there, not much has changed from any of the others apart from updated graphics. I’m quite disappointed with 343 industries they need to step up and make it better game play. Not just updating the graphics then throwing it out there into the market, they need to make something original to draw us back into playing Halo. Don’t get me wrong I think that Halo 4 is okay to play but it is certainly nothing special in the gaming industry. I rember playing the old classic Halo and not alot has changed looking back to it. Halo 4 would be for people in their teenage lives such as people at college and universities. I would like it if 343 industries would make more new content into the game which will bring over the serious gamers from Call of duty and other well known games. So that more people will play it and so that I could have a challenge on there! I would rate the game of around 6.5 out of 10. Expand
  29. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo 4 is very good. I have been a fan of the series since Halo 2 for the X-box and have seen it go through quite a few iterations. If you are a hardcore Halo 3 fan, then this game might seem tantamount to sacrilege. Let me just say: This is not halo 3, I'm sorry they ruined your game, now stop giving 0 star reviews and throwing off the curve. I also advise you to read no further and justHalo 4 is very good. I have been a fan of the series since Halo 2 for the X-box and have seen it go through quite a few iterations. If you are a hardcore Halo 3 fan, then this game might seem tantamount to sacrilege. Let me just say: This is not halo 3, I'm sorry they ruined your game, now stop giving 0 star reviews and throwing off the curve. I also advise you to read no further and just go back to playing Halo 3 with the rest of the 400 people in south America who still hold it dear. For the rest of us who don't mind (or at least are aware of the fact) that games change as time moves forwards, Here you go. I compare this game to Halo: Reach which I loved and consider it a benchmark for the series, this game is different, much more oriented for a faster paced (hate to say it) call of duty indoctrinated audience.
    Sprint is a standard feature ( unlike reach where it was one option out of several abilities ) Guns are unlocked as the player progresses through ranks. Points are awarded per rank, which the player in turn uses to "buy" guns, armor additions, perks and upgrades. This system is not too dissimilar to call of duty admittedly, but that doesn't take away from the satisfaction of saving up points for a special unlock. It is rewarding and gives the player something to work towards. Honestly, I am having a blast playing this game. The visuals are stunning, the new player models are slick and the skins have been tweaked to represent a newer generation of Spartans. The single player is fun and engaging, and of course the brutal legendary difficulty setting is quite fierce to say the least. The multiplayer experience is deep with all the usual game types halo fans are accustomed to, and a deep co-op story which runs parallel to the main campaign and releases new 5 chapter episodes every week or so. This feature not only gives you new content o explore, but can further progress the story and lore in episodic installments. 343 took on a huge task when they took the reigns to the Halo franchise. I think they did it splendidly. Don't be a hater, give Halo 4 a try.
  30. Nov 6, 2012
    The most complete and perfect game that already played scenarios with gorgeous graphics, scenarios and very large with lots of variety, making the space with the plane gave a taste of playing with star wars was living on the skin of Lucas scair walker, a fantastic story, well this generation and the best game that anyone can see, this complication is being revised this without havingThe most complete and perfect game that already played scenarios with gorgeous graphics, scenarios and very large with lots of variety, making the space with the plane gave a taste of playing with star wars was living on the skin of Lucas scair walker, a fantastic story, well this generation and the best game that anyone can see, this complication is being revised this without having played the whole game, I only ask that people loved to make the revised finish the game first Expand
  31. Nov 6, 2012
    OK HALO 4 is a new step for the franchise. First of the campaign, its emotional and intense. Cortana plays a very important part in the story which is great because it isnt all focused on the chief. Gameplay still feels alot like halo even though they added sprint and changed the button layouts (which you can change it the way you prefer). Guns feel more powerful and sound very powerful,OK HALO 4 is a new step for the franchise. First of the campaign, its emotional and intense. Cortana plays a very important part in the story which is great because it isnt all focused on the chief. Gameplay still feels alot like halo even though they added sprint and changed the button layouts (which you can change it the way you prefer). Guns feel more powerful and sound very powerful, the graphics are probably the best ive seen on xbox so far. my least favorite favorite thing about the game is the soundtrack its good but it isnt the same without Marty O' Donnell. Multiplayer is fast and really hectic which is awesome! they switch it up this time by adding unlocks and ranking system. I can understand why 343 would add such things it gives the game a new flow. The matches are well balanced. im glad they bought the chief back. Expand
  32. Nov 6, 2012
    You guys can rate this game as low as you want but you and your friends are going to be playing the **** out of it for a good year or two.

I've enjoyed all the other Halo games as well as a many others of the sci-fi genre and I do say that this game has done the genre great justice. Any sign of "sequelitis" is not portrayed nor even hinted. I just beat the campaign and was left with

I just beat the campaign and was left with an immense feeling of satisfaction (time to buy new pants) and wanting more at the same time. The ending is a perfect finalizing ending this could be the last Halo you played and you'd still feel the ending was good even though it's actually just an epilogue for the next game.

The emotional side is amazing. Lots of feeling shown from Cortana, Master Chief and Lasky. I've played lots of games and on a lot of platforms in my life since 1995. But I've never played such an emotionally grabbing campaign with such an immense story to tell.

I would not rate this game any less than 8 even if you paid me $2000.00 and I'm serious you can even put the cash in my hand and I'll throw it at you. When I signed into Xbox live all my friends were playing Halo 4. The game is good guys and 343i deserves all the praise you can give them.

I'm having a very hard time keeping this brief when there are so many pros and so little cons to the game but I must say; the bar has been set.
  33. Nov 6, 2012
    This game is fantastic. Please do not listen to the trolls giving it low scores, they come here every launch and downvote for the 'LULZ'. If you thought that Halo Reach was too slow you're gonna be so happy with this. Game plays faster than any previous halo - but not too fast - and strikes the balance between fun, quick gameplay and Call of Duty's "If someone saw you first you die, noThis game is fantastic. Please do not listen to the trolls giving it low scores, they come here every launch and downvote for the 'LULZ'. If you thought that Halo Reach was too slow you're gonna be so happy with this. Game plays faster than any previous halo - but not too fast - and strikes the balance between fun, quick gameplay and Call of Duty's "If someone saw you first you die, no matter how skillful you are" type stuff.

Multiplayer is fantastic.
  34. Nov 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished the Campaign on Legendary. I thought it was fantastic, a truly great Halo game. However, there were things that I think could have been done better;
    1. No QTE's. That's it. Plain and simple. I would have rather the Didact died in a cutscene then a QTE.

2. Length. I think the Campaign would have benefited from having levels that were the same length, but about 12-15 instead of 8. Or simply have 8 levels, but make then longer.
    I think that the length of the campaign is also synonymous with story/plot. Don't get my wrong, I liked it very much and thought it was great, but lacking at some points. I believe if the campaign was longer, it would have allowed for a more intricate and better story/plot writing. BUT as I said, it was still solid.

3. There were a fair amount of vehicles, and they were good. But I think that there should have been a Hornet or Falcon. I freaking loved the Falcon in Reach, it would've been cool to see it come back. My top three MP improvements;
    1. KILLCAMS. They're stupid and completely unneeded.

2. More distinct armor. I don't mind the armor too much, some I like very much, but what I mean by this is armor that you can recognize from across the battlefield. I loved nailing that guy who has been pissing me off for half the match in Reach, and KNOWING it was him because of his armor. The armor in Halo 4 isn't terrible but a lot of it is very similar. I can only think of two things I don't like about the Halo 4 multiplayer. So there you have it. This is an outstanding game, and an even better Halo game. I have been playing for days, have started my second playthrough on Legendary and I'm loving every minute of it. 343i have put their heart and soul into this game, and it completely shows. All my criticisms are over shadowed by the everything else that is is so brilliantly done. P.S. for anyone reading this (hopefully a few of the sites Admins/Mods) I want to state my opinion on the "User Review" section. A lot of the user reviews, especially with this game are complete BS. They're full of CoD kiddies and PS3 fanboys who come here to give it a bad review, simply because it is Halo. One such guy giving it a 0/10 score and admitting that the game does NOT deserve a 0, but he gave it that score because he simply does not like Halo. Another such "reviewer" stating that he doesn't like the game because it doesn't have good graphics and isn't as good as Uncharted. I'm telling you now, the User Review feature on this sight is broken, corrupt and full of people who don't know how to write a review (I'm not saying I do) and people giving it a bad score simply because it is Halo.
  35. Nov 9, 2012
    This game is absolutely stunning. Trust me and the millions of others who feel the same way, you want this game. Halo 4 is obviously the 2012 game of the year...by far.
  36. Jul 14, 2013
    I have to give this game a 8/10 because it IS good game play, graphics and game style but sadly there are some bugs in the games sometimes that did not get fixed but other than that it's a good game.
  37. Nov 18, 2012
    I'd give the game a 9.5 The gameplay is a proper evolution of Halo gameplay while keeping the core features that make the game definitely feel like Halo, just refined and improved. Compared to most other FPS single player campaigns, Halo 4s is very good. The story is just ok, but I had more fun in SP than most games all gen due entirely to Halo unique gameplay and enemy AI. To add someI'd give the game a 9.5 The gameplay is a proper evolution of Halo gameplay while keeping the core features that make the game definitely feel like Halo, just refined and improved. Compared to most other FPS single player campaigns, Halo 4s is very good. The story is just ok, but I had more fun in SP than most games all gen due entirely to Halo unique gameplay and enemy AI. To add some much neede depth to the SP story it's best to watch all the PR and spends a day reading the HaloWiki. The improved graphics (which are excellent for old consoles) come at a minor cost to environment size and perhaps a tiny hit to AI. The MP is a series best for me....so far. I've had the game since launch and seem to have spent 75% on my MP time on one map, due to the voting system and the map options the game offers. There is a problem with matches and stats not being added to your record which is VERY frustrating. I enjoy spartan-ops more than the firefight and the story element adds to the enjoyment despite being fairly shallow but something is better than nothing. Also, the lack of matchmaking for old spartan ops episodes is a major let down. Overall, the game offers so many hours of fun and interesting game types that it deserves to be among the best games in the gen. 343 actually surpasses Bungie in many ways, and only falters occasionally. 343 has proven to me that they are among the top devs, Halo 4 do a lot and does the majority of it very very well. Expand
  38. Nov 9, 2012
    To be honest, I went into this game with a very skeptical mindset. Since 343 had also made Halo Wars, i thought it would have this problem, and this problem and this problem. To my amazement, however, it didn't. At all. The game is balanced, graphically superior to almost anything, definitely to anything on the Xbox. The dialogue can get a bit on the B-Grade side, but other than thatTo be honest, I went into this game with a very skeptical mindset. Since 343 had also made Halo Wars, i thought it would have this problem, and this problem and this problem. To my amazement, however, it didn't. At all. The game is balanced, graphically superior to almost anything, definitely to anything on the Xbox. The dialogue can get a bit on the B-Grade side, but other than that there's not much to complain about. The multiplayer is fast, but not too fast, the weapon system is different, but not overpowered. Its not perfect however. While it is hard to pinpoint these problems, they are noticeable when playing. So if you enjoy Halo, and halo, this is your game. If not, then not. 81%. (P.S. Why does everyone use the battle rifles? They aren't that good o.O) Expand
  39. Nov 7, 2012
    Halo 4 presents the most polished and engaging Halo to date. 343 took Halo's core and added vulnerability. Master Chief has never been so humanized, and it makes for fantastic cut scenes. Not only is the story the best of the series, but the boring Covenant aren't the main enemy anymore. The new Promethean Knight is every bit as vicious as the Elite, but varies in its combat methods.Halo 4 presents the most polished and engaging Halo to date. 343 took Halo's core and added vulnerability. Master Chief has never been so humanized, and it makes for fantastic cut scenes. Not only is the story the best of the series, but the boring Covenant aren't the main enemy anymore. The new Promethean Knight is every bit as vicious as the Elite, but varies in its combat methods. Many times I was surprised by how I was wailed on by these very formidable opponents. I can go on and on about how great this game is. But to sum it all up, I've been playing Halo since the beginning. Every game has been fun and worthwhile, but none of the games invoked the emotion and investment Halo 4 has out of me. Add a splendidly varied campaign in terms of encounters and vehicle play to the mix, more than even Reach. I loved the story, and it's only getting better with the promised 5th & 6th games. Composer Neil Davidge also brought the score of Halo to a new high. The sounds and music of Halo 4 are phenomenal. Best game of the series. 343 have set their own bar, and to surpass it would be to make perhaps the greatest game ever. Expand
  40. Nov 20, 2012
    Pros: Amazing Graphics Cons: Boring gameplay, Ridiculous Story The original Halo series was enjoyable to play. This feels like a chore. It is a beautiful to look at chore, but nonetheless, a chore. No joy in any aspect of it. The story feels as if it is weighed down by its own predetermined need to be easily accessible. I really can't believe the positive reviews on this?
  41. Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks to no stop nerd complaining the user review for yet another large release is ruined. I know for so many people a catty internet complaint fest is a one way ticket to fame it makes the score pointless. In this case the game is great, go buy it. Don't know why people do the lame buy/rent it when most rental places are long gone. If you are one of those I don't like halo just getThanks to no stop nerd complaining the user review for yet another large release is ruined. I know for so many people a catty internet complaint fest is a one way ticket to fame it makes the score pointless. In this case the game is great, go buy it. Don't know why people do the lame buy/rent it when most rental places are long gone. If you are one of those I don't like halo just get over yourself and play a cool game. Expand
  42. Nov 9, 2012
    Seriously? 0's? The people on here giving this game a 0 are 1. spamming trolls, and/or 2. need to grow a backbone and play the game on at least Heroic. Giving this game a 0 is just idiotic. That's the problem with Metacritic user reviews. And as far as the critic reviews: Really Metactitc? You're going to include some no name site called, "Quarter to Three?" Really? Again, giving this gameSeriously? 0's? The people on here giving this game a 0 are 1. spamming trolls, and/or 2. need to grow a backbone and play the game on at least Heroic. Giving this game a 0 is just idiotic. That's the problem with Metacritic user reviews. And as far as the critic reviews: Really Metactitc? You're going to include some no name site called, "Quarter to Three?" Really? Again, giving this game a "20" is just a sign of low intelligence, lazy gaming, or an agenda. This game is great. Is it revolutionary? No. But it is a sincere effort, and you can tell that 343I put their hearts and souls into its creation. The story is the best Halo story since Halo CE and the motion capture is unparalleled. The multiplayer combines aspects of Halo and Call of Duty and makes COD look stale by comparison. I can't wait for the next installment. Expand
  43. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo 4 is not just the best Halo since Halo 2, it is THE best Halo yet. After the spectacular Halo 2 I was not disappointed per say by 3, but underwhelmed. Halo 4 however has delivered in every way possible, it has done everything it has promised and more. The writing is fresh and better than in any previous Halo game, the game play is similar, but with enough new elements to keep itHalo 4 is not just the best Halo since Halo 2, it is THE best Halo yet. After the spectacular Halo 2 I was not disappointed per say by 3, but underwhelmed. Halo 4 however has delivered in every way possible, it has done everything it has promised and more. The writing is fresh and better than in any previous Halo game, the game play is similar, but with enough new elements to keep it interesting and fun and the story itself is just mind blowing, especially for Halo fans out there, though I'm sure people experiencing halo for the first time will enjoy it too. I could care less about the graphics, some of the best games in history have had terrible graphics by today's standards, but this game has nearly perfect graphics as well. Everything about this game is as close to perfection as possible and I can tell it has been polished to an absolute shine. If you are already a Halo fan then you will absolutely love this game, if you are not already and perhaps didn't like the previous ones, try this one out, it could easily sway you I'm sure. Oh and all of this is just based on the campaign, I haven't even touched on the multiplayer yet; a game has to be able to stand on it's campaign alone first, then it's multiplayer, if it has it. Multiplayer is a bonus, but in this case even the multiplayer is near perfection. GET THIS GAME, I promise you won't regret it. Expand
  44. Nov 7, 2012
    The Halo series returns with a lot of new and a lot of old. Be prepared for sandbox firefight shenanigans all over again. Newbies are filled in one the experience straight up luckily, but only loosely because this is a brand new trilogy. The Master Chief returns along with his AI companion Cortana in their most thought out adventure yet. The duo first crash land into a Forerunner planet,The Halo series returns with a lot of new and a lot of old. Be prepared for sandbox firefight shenanigans all over again. Newbies are filled in one the experience straight up luckily, but only loosely because this is a brand new trilogy. The Master Chief returns along with his AI companion Cortana in their most thought out adventure yet. The duo first crash land into a Forerunner planet, Requiem after the Chief is woken up from Cryo but Cortana is descending into rampancy, a process where AI Expand
  45. Nov 17, 2012
    First off, I'm almost entirely a single player guy, so this review will be heavily biased in that regards. If you want to know about multiplayer, this review is not for you. Saying that, previous Halo games have always provided me with more than enough single player value for my dollar. Halo 4 is the first time I have not felt this way. As short as part 4 was, this was the first time IFirst off, I'm almost entirely a single player guy, so this review will be heavily biased in that regards. If you want to know about multiplayer, this review is not for you. Saying that, previous Halo games have always provided me with more than enough single player value for my dollar. Halo 4 is the first time I have not felt this way. As short as part 4 was, this was the first time I ever had to force myself to finish a Halo game. I began to wonder if after so many Halo games, if perhaps I had finally gotten tired of them. So I loaded up Halo Reach, and it was quickly reestablished why I love Halo so much after all. No, this wasn't a Halo thing. It was a Halo 4 thing. No joke, I had more fun in a single 30 minute single player round of Reach firefight then I did in the entire Halo 4 campaign. Thinking more on the whole Bungie's past visions of Halo vs. 343's new vision of Halo, I found something that summoned up my thoughts perfectly. A comparison of the former Firefight vs the new Spartan Ops. Firefight (Bungie) gives 1-4 people a hugh number of options, weapons, vehicles, levels and enemies, then lets you decide how you want to play the game to make your own fun. Spartan Ops (343) wants to tell you what to do, when to do it, and how you should do it. And it also wants to sell you a Gold membership at the same time. No thanks. Bungies Halos were nothing short of brilliant. 343's Halo was a good first attempt, yes. But its lacking it so many areas I just can't recommend it as a single player only game for those expecting more of the same. The campaign on display is a shell of it's former self. The new enemies, new weapons, empty battlefields, rail like progression (reviews that say the sandbox feel is better than ever are lying to you), horribly lifeless areas with little diversity (if I never see another silver level filled with orange neon lights and orange enemies with orange weapons it will be too soon), and enemy AI, can't hold a candle to what's already been established in the previous Halo games. And the worst new offender would be the reduced grenade damage in single player. My biggest guilty pleasure in Halo has always been making sure to save at least one grenade for when the enemy congregated in large numbers so I could reign down firey death. In halo 4 I would just as soon throw my grenades off a cliff for all the good they did. Another thing Bungie's Halos did great was introducing new enemy types with a bang, and making me fear and respect certain types of enemies. I have many fond memories of enemy encounters in past Halo games. What do I remember about Halo 4's enemies? Not fear, but dread. Dread of tedium (how many bullets does this thing take before warping and reshielding?) and cheap tactics over genuine challenge when a new Promethan knight appeared. That and about half way through the game I began wondering how long had I already been killing these resident evil dogs for. 343 / Microsoft have two directions to go in at this point. Bring back the single player value, or continue with the multiplayer only focus. Since we've already seen it's possible to do both, I'm hoping they choose the former over the latter. Expand
  46. Mar 13, 2014
    Two things up front. Firstly I’m a long-term Halo fan, having played all the games from the beginning -- not some PS3 fanboy. Secondly, both positive and negative User reviews on this site have been grossly over-exaggerated for dubious reasons. Let’s be realistic folks, few games deserve a zero and no game is worthy of a 10 because no game is perfect!

I had high hopes for Halo 4 after

I had high hopes for Halo 4 after the superb job that 343i did in revamping the original Halo. Perhaps they should have stuck to polishing other people’s games for a while because, sadly, they don’t seem to have the finesse (yet) to create an admirable game from scratch. When I first read the Quarter to Three review by Tom Chick in the Critic section, I felt it was a bit harsh but after playing Halo 4 for myself, I now consider it a tactful understatement.

As far as I’m concerned, the only real improvements in Halo 4 are the more realistic sound effects and cut scenes. Clearly these two elements are a cut above previous Halo games but just about everything else is a backward step and second-rate for a AAA title. For all the hype from 343i about the game being a labor of love, there is a shocking lack of attention to detail not found in Bungie’s instalments. But of course, most fans won’t be prepared to admit that because a successful continuation of the series means so much to them. It’s an emotional investment – sort of like staying with a bad lover for old time’s sake.

As others have stated, the Halo 4 story is boring and manipulative with unsympathetic characters and repetitive scenarios. Somehow, it also manages to be confusing and cliche-ridden at the same time – just what you don’t want in a game, particularly a FPS. (Unless it’s satire and this isn’t – it’s overblown seriousness).

The superlatives being lavished on the graphics by many reviewers are way over the top. For me, good graphics are in the details and many in Halo 4 are noticeably absent. Gone, for example, is the superb purple and bronze pattern detail previously found in Covenant hardware. Some of the alien architecture may look impressive but the backgrounds are often foggy and indistinct. A close inspection of outdoor environments and objects reveals nothing but jagged, blocky and/or blurred textures. Those representing the terrain are muddy and ugly while foliage and fire look like they were rendered in a primary school art class! Decals (projectile damage) look nice but are inconsistent, appearing only on certain surfaces and sometimes they look sharper than those surfaces themselves, which is ludicrous. A useful graphics comparison can be found in some of the beautifully detailed weapons and environments of the Serious Sam HD games and they were made by a much smaller company on a fraction of the budget!

Another aspect where Halo 4 falls short is the AI. For example, at the beginning of the Campaign chapter, Size Matters, I experienced a fellow Spartan continually running into a rock face. Belting him with a melee attack had absolutely no effect on his mindless course of action so I eventually threw a grenade at him and he jet-packed to the adjacent Mammoth. That glaring faults this basic were allowed through to the final build of a multi-million dollar project is an absolute disgrace and demonstrates a distinct lack of respect for the fan base! In addition, the beloved Covenant species have had many of their personality attributes that made them so interesting to fight, reduced or removed altogether. They now share the stage with generic new enemies which are highly reminiscent of those from other games. Anyone else notice a resemblance between the Promethean Watchers and Crawlers of Halo 4, and the Icarus and Parasite creatures from Quake 2? Or the Promethean Knight and the Bloodletter Daemon from Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine? The appearance and behaviour of these pairs is strikingly similar!

Enough has been said about the multiplayer aspect by others – obviously a blatant blending of COD features to draw in that crowd. Firefight is sorely missed and Spartan Ops is a thinly-veiled attempt to increase Gold account sales on Xbox Live.

Other major gripes include: the extremely bland game menus (hate the floating debris image), limited brightness control, rigid corpses, clipping, minor objects that can’t be damaged, invisible walls, and VERY weak grenades.

I give Halo 4 a score of 5 for retaining a semblance of the enjoyable core combat of the series but if there’s genuine pride in the making of this game, it’s hard to detect from the final result. Perhaps it’s a case of "too many cooks spoil the broth" but it smells more like a money tree to me.

NOTE: This review was initially posted in Nov. 2012 but somehow it was deleted from Metacritic so I've had to resubmit it.
  47. Nov 7, 2012
    All this game is, is CoD with a Halo skin on top. If I wanted CoD I would have bought CoD but instead I got MW4. This is not the kind of gameplay you're used to getting from Halo. 343 just tried to make it like CoD so they would get more sales they basically sold out on us for a few bucks. 343 you suck.
  48. Nov 8, 2012
    This is honestly the best game i have played this year. The graphics have maximized the xbox's potential. 343i has redone multi-player so that it takes the addictive part of COD but still feels like halo. There are no words to describe the sheer awesomeness of the campaign.
  49. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo 4 is the first fps to come out in a while that isn't a disappointment. Even though the campaign is only 6 hours long, the entire time is full of adrenaline pumping action. The story is about as good as you expect from the halo games, if you really want to know about the lore read the books. There are multiple "paths" within levels that make the game feel not as linear as CoD orHalo 4 is the first fps to come out in a while that isn't a disappointment. Even though the campaign is only 6 hours long, the entire time is full of adrenaline pumping action. The story is about as good as you expect from the halo games, if you really want to know about the lore read the books. There are multiple "paths" within levels that make the game feel not as linear as CoD or Halo: Reach. These paths all end up in the same location, but the way they are presented doesn't make it feel like you're walking down a hallway. The guns all sound and feel very unique and very awesome. There's a huge difference in the way the BR feels compared to the Carbine for example. The way they handle, sound and feel in the way of controller rumble is great.

The multiplayer is the best since Halo 3. There is a good balance between the main primary weapons and they all have their use. The DMR and BR are both viable options with the DMR having a bit of an edge at very long distances, but if you are skilled enough with the BR it really doesn't matter. The way the weapons drop on the map rather than spawn on a timer in the same location makes the game a lot less reliant on power weapons and more about skill. Personal ordinance drops (point streaks from CoD) give you a VERY slight edge for a good amount of effort. The most powerful drop is a power boost which makes you 3-shot if all shots are in the head or 4 shot otherwise, instead of 5-shot. But when you die, that's it. It's gone. The streaks are nothing like CoD since the entirety of multiplayer of CoD relies on point streaks, whereas the Halo 4 streaks give a slight edge that you lose as soon as you die. Spawning before your timer is over can be troublesome in that if you get a lucky enough spawn, you can run over to the person whom killed you and finish them off. Although, this scenario has only happened one time on the smallest map in my 180 games. More often than not, spawning early so that you can sprint back into the battle just ends up with you dieing again. The multiplayer is nothing like Reach. Yes, there are armour abilities. No, they aren't OP. There's no invincibility (Armour lock) and the AA's just allow you to escape death for another second before you're struck down. There are small perks that are like collecting frag grenades from fallen players or getting ordinance drops slightly quicker (the equivalent of a kill). These perks generally don't make a difference on gameplay as long as you don't suck horribly.

People complaining about the multiplayer being imbalanced must just not be very good at it. Although it has taken some features from CoD, like the killcam, it does NOT play like CoD. You can't just sprint forward and spray your gun at someone hoping to get a kill. Halo 4 feels like a combination between Halo 3 and Halo 2, with a sprinkle of Reach in the way of sprint/AA. If you liked Reach, but not other Halo games, you might not enjoy this one. A good example is the sniper. There is no aim assist. If you are slightly off your target, you are slightly off your target. You miss. It's not like Reach, close enough isn't close enough.

If you liked Halo 3, you need this game. If you liked Reach but not Halo 3, you might not like this game. The Halo series feels like Halo again.
  50. Nov 7, 2012
    This is the best Halo since 2. Making an argument for best in the series. It is stunning in every single way. The graphics must be pushing the limits of the 360 because it would appear that they squeezed every last drop out of this dated console. Kudos to 343.
  51. Dec 26, 2012
    I enjoyed all the other Halo games (except for Halo Wars. I'm just not a fan of strategy games.) but found myself extremely disappointed with Halo 4, First of all the campaign needed to be much longer because me and my friend managed to play through this in just under 4 hours. That's the amount of time it should take to finish a DLC not a big budget triple A game.

My second problem with

My second problem with the game is the actual gameplay, when the first Halo released in 2001 it redefined the FPS genre, eleven years later and next to nothings changed. The gameplay is incredibly simple: Shoot enemies, walk/ drive to next area, shoot more enemies. Rinse and repeat. I think it's time for Combat to take another evolutionary step forward.

My final major problem with Halo 4 is this is the first ever game I have ever played where I felt bored while playing. I'm sorry 343 but I was incredibly bored during Halo 4. It just did nothing to excite me.

To be fair to the game though not everything about Halo 4 is bad though, I have to admit that the graphics are gorgeous to look at, the voice acting from Steve Downs and Mackenzie Mason is some of the best this year and the game actually has a decent story unlike most modern first person shooters (Cough COD Cough)

Remember though this is just my opinion, maybe you'll agree with me , or maybe you will love it. If you are a fan of Halo, then I would recommend giving it a try hopefully your opinion differs from mine, otherwise give it a miss unless you see it cheap.
  52. Nov 7, 2012
    This game was nothing short of amazing. Musical score, graphics, weapons, story, characters, voice acting, facial animations, sound design, level and map design, enemy AI, vehicles...oh God EVERYTHING in this game is BEYOND excellent!! I had a fantastic time playing through the campaign...which is a VERY emotional story! I was left awed by the realistic CGI, and the theatrical quality ofThis game was nothing short of amazing. Musical score, graphics, weapons, story, characters, voice acting, facial animations, sound design, level and map design, enemy AI, vehicles...oh God EVERYTHING in this game is BEYOND excellent!! I had a fantastic time playing through the campaign...which is a VERY emotional story! I was left awed by the realistic CGI, and the theatrical quality of the scenes and dialogue. Halo 4 is the BEST installment in the series, and is by far the BEST console exclusive this year...if not for the past few years!! No game can compare to this game. Not even close. I'm STOKED for Halo 5!! If you don't own an Xbox 360....now is the time to get one :p Expand
  53. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story and the graphics is absolutely brilliant. The story is both emotional and suspenseful, giving the sense of mystery that drew so many people to the first Halo, the dialogue is improved 10 fold from previous game, and the antagonist is strong and brilliant. However I might add that the ending leaves little room for a good sequel as so much emotion was used to end the game. The graphics are top notch, brilliant textures, lighting, and environment. The game sounds absolutely magnificent, with loud and thundering sounds mixed with emotional and tragic music. Gameplay is smooth and exciting, however it gets quite repetitive in late game. The mulitplayer is fun and refreshing, but far too unbalanced, guns are either ridiculously overpowered (SAW) or horrendously slow and weak (Railgun), armor abilities are almost useless as the only useful ones are the hardlight shield and the jetpack. Now the cons, the AI is junk, the AI not only does not help with thinning enemy lines, but it instead fires at anything in their line of sight including you. The prometheans seem cliche and generic, it seems like a new stronger covenant. However the ultimate con about this game is the length, in short the game is far too short, it takes 6-7 hours in normal to beat it solo and about 3-4 to beat it in co-op. In summary, this game is absolutely brilliant in story, gameplay, graphics and pace. But because of it's flaws, it does not deserve a 10. However it does come very very close to a 10. If only it was longer... if only Expand
  54. Nov 6, 2012
    i can see here that "ps3fans" are burning so hard :)
    (most "negative" reviews are from them)
    HALO4 is awesome in "gameplay,enemies AI,level design and story". MASTER CHIEF" is back and the ancient enemies are awake.story is so emotional and attractive with lovely cortana,master chief personality is in best shape,side characters are believable and useful.new story-line is strong for a
    i can see here that "ps3fans" are burning so hard :)
    (most "negative" reviews are from them)
    HALO4 is awesome in "gameplay,enemies AI,level design and story".
    MASTER CHIEF" is back and the ancient enemies are awake.story is so emotional and attractive with lovely cortana,master chief personality is in best shape,side characters are believable and useful.new story-line is strong for a new serie.old-guns are so handy again and new-guns level the gameplay higher.music is the only thing that is the same as before.
    game levels are different and vary.
    enemies AI is so good(i played on hard/legendary),they dodge the grenades and cover when their health is low.new enemy types have new offensive AI.
    at end i must say:
    HALO4 is so great and you must be great to understand it.
  55. Nov 9, 2012
    *Stands up and claps* As a fan of Halo from the very first game back in 2001 for the original Xbox the formula was becoming tired, the levels bland and the action becoming recycled. After Bungie leave the Halo franchise behind 343 Industries has picked up the IP and made a masterpiece.
    Set 4 years after the finale of Halo 3, Cortana wakes Chief after the Dawn is attacked by a Covenant fleet for them then to crash land on a Forerunner planet named Requiem. After Chief accidentally awakens a Forerunner warrior, The Didact, it becomes a race against time to save Earth, get off Requiem and save the dying Cortana. A touching, well written and amazingly pieced together story with mind blowing graphical standard for a 7 year old console.
    The replacement of Firefight with Spartan Ops was a good swap with what will total to a free weekly download side campaign alongside the standard Multiplayer, Forge and Theatre makes Halo 4 a package well worth the pricetag with many months, maybe even years of re-playability in one £40 package.
  56. Nov 11, 2012
    Really good game. Looks awesome, plays well. Campaign is a fun experience with a good story. I played it on legendary so it wasn't too short for me, but if you run through it on an easier difficulty then it might not seem very long. Multiplayer is very good. It takes several elements from modern FPS's such as CoD, but manages to keep it fairly balanced. Gameplay in general still feels alotReally good game. Looks awesome, plays well. Campaign is a fun experience with a good story. I played it on legendary so it wasn't too short for me, but if you run through it on an easier difficulty then it might not seem very long. Multiplayer is very good. It takes several elements from modern FPS's such as CoD, but manages to keep it fairly balanced. Gameplay in general still feels alot more like "Halo" than reach ever did. A major con that stood out to me was lack of options in custom games, and no custom audio options, but hopefully 343 can sort that out. Also, all of you people giving this game a 0 are idiots. As long as a game runs, it doesn't deserve a zero. 10 also seems a bit far fetched. Expand
  57. Nov 7, 2012
    Overall I thought the game was great. Gave a spectacular campaign, although the writing has changed a lot compared to the other Halo games. The visuals and graphics are astounding with dynamic shadows. The environments great. The only problem I saw with the game was the multiplayer. Some of the playlists are really disappointing. Such as Big Team which now only allows infinity slayer. IOverall I thought the game was great. Gave a spectacular campaign, although the writing has changed a lot compared to the other Halo games. The visuals and graphics are astounding with dynamic shadows. The environments great. The only problem I saw with the game was the multiplayer. Some of the playlists are really disappointing. Such as Big Team which now only allows infinity slayer. I would have personally liked it more if they didn't have Infinity slayer because of the overwhelming amount of power weapons held by the teams. There needs to be some playlist adjustments to add objective gametypes. Also the matchmaking is sad considering that you can now join games in mid session. Other than these issues the multiplayer is very smooth and plays like any other Halo game. Expand
  58. Nov 11, 2012
    This is still halo. Though it is missing a lot of little things from previous games, which hinders the experience some. CAMPAIGN- the game is beautiful, however, the campaign feels just like the campaign you've played for the last ten years. Maybe thats a good thing, but for me, it's kind of boring, it always has been. Missing from the story mode is the ability to discover skulls and aThis is still halo. Though it is missing a lot of little things from previous games, which hinders the experience some. CAMPAIGN- the game is beautiful, however, the campaign feels just like the campaign you've played for the last ten years. Maybe thats a good thing, but for me, it's kind of boring, it always has been. Missing from the story mode is the ability to discover skulls and a scoring system to challenge, leaving the whole experience a little bland, or hollow. MULTIPLAYER- a lot of changes to the formula here, some are welcome, some not so much. CONS-The biggest omission is a real ranked multiplayer system. All you do is play for experience and there's little incentive to play proper and actually win. Ranked games encouraged smart play and a better experience for hardcore players. Also, you no longer can call out your "X" to your teammates when you die, because there is none, your icon just goes away. Looking at the scoreboard during the game disables your movement unlike previous games. When jumping into matchmaking playlists, your often thrown into a game in progress, on the team that is shorthanded, which is usually losing as a result. Thats not a fun way to play, and it makes your stats look bad. So again, hardcore players who are into that will not like that. To ensure that you play games from the very start, you must remain in the group after a game. But what if you don't like the group you played with? Oh well....you'll just have to stay, or take your chances jumping into a playlist again. Awful respawns still plague the game, as you respawn right in front of the person who just killed you a second ago. No firefight! PROS- loadouts. They do have a major impact on how the game is played, with some time you get used to it, and you may even love the new flexibility it has to offer. smarter, well prepared players can now choose a loadout to take advantage of nearly any situation, as you can switch your loadout whenever you die. Ordinance drops have been added, giving you powerful weapons and player performance buffs for getting kills, allowing you to help turn the tide in battle. Loadouts and ordinances do change how fundamental the game is, as you can no longer rely completely on snagging the power weapons on the map. It's still a sound strategy, but if you cant ever get the best toys, your not out of the game. I welcome this change of pace. Territories has been revamped into a beefed up tower defense type of game. You gain a territory, and over time it becomes fortified and you also recieve powerful weapon shipments, helping you dictate the outcome. It's an interesting mode, perhaps the only one that is better than it used to be. FORGE-it's still there, and it's alright, but it feels a bit unwieldy. Halo reach, is stillthe ultimate forge mode. OVERALL- I've been mostly negative, but most importantly, as a standalone game, halo 4 would be fantastic. It's still a great game. It's made worse because of the games that came before it. If your avery devoted and hardcore player, this one probably won't fulfill your expectations. For most everyone else, it's still a lot of fun. Expand
  59. MrR
    Nov 9, 2012
    Wow. I am blown away by Halo 4. The campaign is brilliant, an amazing continuation of the series. I worried about how 343 would handle this game, as Halo 2 and 3 by Bungie were my go-to games for years when I was younger. But I have no more worries for the future of this series. Halo 4 is the multiplayer fps I have been waiting for. While there seem to be a few backtracks, almostWow. I am blown away by Halo 4. The campaign is brilliant, an amazing continuation of the series. I worried about how 343 would handle this game, as Halo 2 and 3 by Bungie were my go-to games for years when I was younger. But I have no more worries for the future of this series. Halo 4 is the multiplayer fps I have been waiting for. While there seem to be a few backtracks, almost everything has advanced and been polished to a tee. Gameplay is smooth and feels natural, but still has all the creativity and fun expected from a Halo game. The visuals and sounds are phenomenal, though I miss Marty's epic tunes. Forge has been perfected and will provide re playability for years to come. All in all, I am blown away by Halo 4. I haven't been playing console FPS's very much for the last few years, but I am having trouble putting this one down. Well done 343i.

There are a few things I miss from earlier Halo games that have been removed or changed, but all in all this is a huge step forward and Halo 4 blows other Xbox FPS's out of the water. 10/10
  60. Nov 13, 2012
    I'll say it up front: I'm a halo fanboy. I've been playing the games since I was 7 or so (shh don't tell my parents) I own all the games now and have beaten them all on legendary, played hours of them on live, on and on. So I truely mean it when I say it's the best Halo game ever, the best of 2012, and for me, best game ever. It's hard to be unbiased. We each have a series that's our baby,I'll say it up front: I'm a halo fanboy. I've been playing the games since I was 7 or so (shh don't tell my parents) I own all the games now and have beaten them all on legendary, played hours of them on live, on and on. So I truely mean it when I say it's the best Halo game ever, the best of 2012, and for me, best game ever. It's hard to be unbiased. We each have a series that's our baby, halo, COD, etc. if you're a halo fan you'll LOVE the campaign, an easy enough run through on normal, a frustrating yet extremely rewarding if you go for the solo legendary achievement/route. The story draws you in, the graphics sparkle and pop, and the gameplay is solid halo gameplay with the prometheans and their weapons mixin it up just enough (along with other unnamed bonuses) making the campaign fresh, new, and extremely fun. Granted the final amount of gameplay might feel underwhelming, it's easy to breeze over this for the final cinematic (2 if completed on legendary. Spartan Ops wont replace firefight for fans, but it's still a plus. There's plenty of content with more weeks ahead, and they're fun short lived missions. Just don't expect longevity beyond commendations/challenges and a few achievements. And for desert is multiplayer: honestly people who AREN'T fans might like it more than hardcore followers. Halo 4 multiplayer, on the surface, seems call of dutified. But it's not: it's better at being COD than COD is. The load outs encourage experimentation and there isn't any one right answer: you just have to find your niche. There are enough game modes to suffice with more on the way being welcome. Forge is the biggest letdown only because we don't have a forge world: the tools are much better, we just don't have as much space as we want and need to utilize said tools like before. So on the whole? It's fantastic. There's something for everyone. Multiplayer might take longer to adjust to then reach did, and forge is smaller.but that doesn't prevent this game from being a legend among giants. Expand
  61. Nov 6, 2012
    This game is nothing short but amazing. one of the best halo games, but still, not quite as amazing as the third one... but probably the second best evar
  62. Nov 6, 2012
    Easily one of the best Halos made to date. While the controls and general game-play feel very much like the other installments, both the campaign and multiplayer aspects of Halo 4 take a gentle turn away from typified Halo styling. The single player story is more detailed and in-depth with a greater focus on immersion and making the player feel like the main character. The musical scoreEasily one of the best Halos made to date. While the controls and general game-play feel very much like the other installments, both the campaign and multiplayer aspects of Halo 4 take a gentle turn away from typified Halo styling. The single player story is more detailed and in-depth with a greater focus on immersion and making the player feel like the main character. The musical score is fantastic and the pacing of the story keeps the player engaged. The feel of the game, however, is slightly different from other Halos. The beautiful graphics definitely are the prettiest thing on the 360 to date although the forerunner terrain and characters definitely take a lot of inspiration from the Metroid franchise. The multiplayer spartan customization also heavily follows the CoD formula. But much more than other Halos, 343 placed a great emphasis on character development. Chief and Cortana (and their relationship) stays are the forefront of the story. But these are not necessarily bad things. All of those aspects come together to create the most unique halo experience since the original. Quite frankly, this game is a splendid example of the shooter genre. Will it match titles such as Half-Life and Bioshock in single player mode or originality? Probably not. But Halo 4 makes a great attempt and from all angles still delivers a top-notch game in a crowded field. Will this game be worth your money? Yes. Does it deserve all the hype? 343 definitely made a great attempt at doing so. Is it going to please all Halo fans? No, it does have it's own unique feel that will steer some fans away. Halo 4 borrows some art and multiplayer design from other games. In the end, however, the overall package is a great buy and definitely one of the best titles to come out this holiday season, is not this year. If Halo fans were waiting for a fresh start on the Halo universe, their day has come. Expand
  63. Nov 8, 2012
    nice job 343 industries! you just made halo better and halo 4 will be game of the year!:)
  64. Nov 7, 2012
    I wanna say I am abit disgusted with a few revies I have read. If you all admit this game has amazing graphics, good sound and a short, decent story, than how are you giving 1 or 0 reviews. this is a one to ten scale. for that reason, even though i really belive this game dererves a 8 or nine, I am giving it a ten to help counteract ur whiny fan boy bull **** 343 put alot of effort intoI wanna say I am abit disgusted with a few revies I have read. If you all admit this game has amazing graphics, good sound and a short, decent story, than how are you giving 1 or 0 reviews. this is a one to ten scale. for that reason, even though i really belive this game dererves a 8 or nine, I am giving it a ten to help counteract ur whiny fan boy bull **** 343 put alot of effort into this game. It looks, sounds and in general is awsome. Yes, I agree the campaign is way to short and I wish they didnt make the mutiplayer alot like cod. But otherwise this is a stellar first ame by 343 and I commend their efforts to bring me what I have dreamed of since I was a kid. The chance to fight the forerunners to see who truly rocks the galaxy. So thanks 343. I hoe that you continue to improve for sure, but I still loved this game. Expand
  65. Nov 7, 2012
    awesome game. great graphics, smooth and fast gunplay, amazing sound effects, good story, and addictive multiplayer. what more is there to say? people will always complain about something in games. but let me assure you that there is nothing wrong with Halo 4. if you like firt-person shooters with a little bit of challenge, you'll like this game
  66. Nov 7, 2012
    This game is great. 343 have brought back halo in an exciting fashion. There is just hours and hours to play in this game with a great campaign. Definitely worth the buy for halo fans.
  67. Nov 8, 2012
    The game definately gets a 10 here. A major improvement from reach. I hated that invinvible shield thing in reach so glad they took that out. Graphics and the gameplay are awesome. The promethian guns are definate killers. Like the way you can create your own loadout online so u dont have to keep finding guns. Played like one mission in campaign but i love it. The best Halo game so farThe game definately gets a 10 here. A major improvement from reach. I hated that invinvible shield thing in reach so glad they took that out. Graphics and the gameplay are awesome. The promethian guns are definate killers. Like the way you can create your own loadout online so u dont have to keep finding guns. Played like one mission in campaign but i love it. The best Halo game so far IMO. A 5.6 user score? Wutever yall r smokin can i get some of dat? Expand
  68. Nov 8, 2012
    First of all dont listen to the moron CoD cry babies complaining giving it a 0/10. Some people says "im giving it a 0 because people give it a 10" thats got to be the worst reason i have ever heard. No game deserves a 0 unless its unplayable. Even as pathetic and rehashed as CoD is it doesnt deserve a 0/10 maybe 5/10 but not 0.

Now on to Halo 4...Have only played MP because my cd drive

Now on to Halo 4...Have only played MP because my cd drive is messed up and cant play the cinematics so it wont load but MP has been amazing so far. Anyone saying its just Halo with CoD stuff slapped on is a joke. The ordinance drops are nothing like overpowered killstreaks in CoD. You get three choices NOT 1 and no matter what you choose it has some strategic value thats not OP. Sometimes its better to choose a speedboost or overshield instead of the SAW or some rocket launcher. The fact that they make it so you choose based on whats going on makes it awesome and very different. CoD is the same thing over and over, 5 kills predator missle, die, 5 kills predator missle. Anyone can get kills easy with killstreaks and lets not even talk about how easy it is once you get to mow down people in the heli.

The guns are awesome, yes theres still the BR and some of the same old weapons but they brought a good amount of new ones and all have a purpose and all seem like they are worth using. Yes sometimes it would be stupid not to choose a BR or DMR but i love to switch it up. Loadouts might be CoDish but then again they are not the first nor are they the only game to have loadouts so that is really irrelevant. IMO they had to move in this direction because it was getting stale how it was before only using one or two guns most of the time plus a power weapon and now you can make a few load outs so you are not stuck using just the DMR or BR all game. It makes people use different setups and thats the best part. Some people will still abuse this system and just use the BR or DMR but I feel confident using different weapons and still being able to compete.

The Armor abilities/tactitcal/support packages are awesome as well. Once again people will say omg this is just like CoD, while it is similar it was also a good edition and is also different from CoD. The armor abilities are very useful and they are balanced, havent used one yet that doesnt feel useful. The thruster pack is much better than i thought if you learn how to use it. Tactical/support options are great as well and feel USEFUL, in CoD you get a million different ones no one can keep track of and it makes it feel useless. In Halo theres only a few and they all serve a purpose to how to play. Keeping it a lower number is much better than having a bunch.

They need some better playlists but I know they are going to update it in a month or so. I love SWAT and TEAM snipers. Also the Maps are very different but very awesome and they look amazing. Infinity slayer is so much fun to play, I dont know if I can go back to normal slayer now.

Cant wait to play the campaign ill update when I do...
  69. Nov 8, 2012
    Simply put, this game Call of Duty in a Halo costume. Not a terrible thing, but I was expecting more of a Halo 3 type game then a Halo Reach type game. Halo 4 continues to grow on me though.
  70. Nov 8, 2012
    Best looking, best sounding and most epic Halo yet. 343 have taken it on and expanded for the better. The whole package has a high production value It is simply the best looking FPS of this generation and, in my opinion, the most enjoyable too.
  71. Nov 8, 2012
    Don't listen to the people that are giving this amazing game a bad score, this game is easily 10/10, outstanding story, visually the best looking game on the Xbox 360, and fun addicting online multiplayer. To the people that are giving this game 0-4, their just CoD fanboys that are thrashing this game. Buy this game!!!
  72. Nov 8, 2012
    The single player campaign is probably one of the better of the Halo series. I am rating mainly based on the multiplayer. The game consists of nothing but players using Battle Rifles and DMRs to peg each other in the head. Who's bright idea was it to put a four hit kill weapon that can strike anywhere on the map in the game?

Many of the guns outside of the marksman rifles have no

Many of the guns outside of the marksman rifles have no chance in a firefight and most of the armor abilities are completely useless (I'm looking at you Thruster Pack). Hell, the "Covenant" and "Promethean" weapons are just direct analogs to the human counterparts, barely different in any way other than the visual portion.

The game has so much bloom that it really hides most of the UI elements. You will constantly lose track of your ammo and grenade counts because the light blue lines are totally lost in the overwhelming bloom the game has in effect. In other words, it's too damn bright and everything just looks washed out because of it.

Halo multiplayer has not been varied and balanced for a good long time and Halo 4 just continues this trend. If you were hoping for a varied array of useful and cool weapons and armor abilities you'll be disappointed with what halo 4 has to offer.
  73. Nov 9, 2012
    This is a phenomenal game. I write this review on behalf of me, as an adult and others I know. the graphics are smooth and gorgeous, great art and landscapes. Clever AI, multiplayer dynamic is good, well rounded. supporting media is amazing and really enhances the whole experience. a must buy. don't play campaign on normal or a setting that is too easy - it detracts from the struggle of the story.
  74. Nov 9, 2012
    If you enjoyed using the DMR in Reach you'll absolutely love the multiplayer gameplay in this. Also, I love the new magnum, and with custom loadouts you get to spawn with all your favourite weapons.
  75. Nov 9, 2012
    This game is amazing. I dont get why most the reviews here are negative. But if you are a true halo fan you will love this game. The story line is short but good. The muiltiplayer is as fun as ever. And spartan ops is a good disrtraction.
  76. Nov 9, 2012
    This is great Halo game for those truly willing to enjoy the experience! Great graphics, great typical halo gameplay and a great storyline combine into this fantastic Halo game. The game is quite mysterious and gave me the same feeling from time to time as when I had when I first landed on a Halo ring, back in the days of Halo: CE. And it leaves enough mystery to make me eager for Halo 5This is great Halo game for those truly willing to enjoy the experience! Great graphics, great typical halo gameplay and a great storyline combine into this fantastic Halo game. The game is quite mysterious and gave me the same feeling from time to time as when I had when I first landed on a Halo ring, back in the days of Halo: CE. And it leaves enough mystery to make me eager for Halo 5 already without ending in a real cliffhanger. Some people true to the Halo Lore might be disappointed because Halo 4 is not fully true to it. But I don't really care as I've always seen the Halo games as the main (and true) storyline and all the rest as spin offs. And yes, I'm saying this while being a Halo fan for more than 10 years. I don't care if you agree or not.

There will always be haters but for me this is the best Halo game after the original Halo: Combat Evolved. What a blast! I enjoyed the campaign from the beginning to the (intense) end. I gotta admit I didn't play online that much yet but from what I've seen it will be enough to keep me busy for months, perhaps even years. I'm assured now... 343 industries takes care of my favorite franchise ever with much care and love. And I'm glad I'll be able to play new great Halo games in the years to come. The Chief is back in town!
  77. Nov 9, 2012
    I just don't buy half of the user ratings being negative. Especially after playing the game. Metacritic is an absolute joke for letting trolls affect the scores of everything on this site. Amazing graphics, tight gameplay, non-stop action, good Halo universe story, and a great job done by 343. Don't listen to the negative folks I guarantee you most of them don't even own the game they justI just don't buy half of the user ratings being negative. Especially after playing the game. Metacritic is an absolute joke for letting trolls affect the scores of everything on this site. Amazing graphics, tight gameplay, non-stop action, good Halo universe story, and a great job done by 343. Don't listen to the negative folks I guarantee you most of them don't even own the game they just have nothing better to do in this life but tear down what they never purchase. They are idiots. Expand
  78. RTG
    Nov 9, 2012
    The king of Xbox Live FPS's is back, and the best since Halo 2. Halo 4 keeps the same formula, and something fresh. Sweet graphics, with great sound design. Great job 343, well deserved.
  79. Nov 9, 2012
    Halo 4 is incredible and allows great gamers to be great again in the highly competitive multiplayer. You can once again exploit the maps nooks and crannies and gain full advantage with skill alone against droves of people. The guns hit hard, multiplayer is incredibly fun, and the campaign delivers a whole new set of enemies. Why switch up game play and dynamics that are already leaps andHalo 4 is incredible and allows great gamers to be great again in the highly competitive multiplayer. You can once again exploit the maps nooks and crannies and gain full advantage with skill alone against droves of people. The guns hit hard, multiplayer is incredibly fun, and the campaign delivers a whole new set of enemies. Why switch up game play and dynamics that are already leaps and bounds above all other 1st person shooter's? Excluding Gears of War, all 1st person shooters have been trying to catch up to Halo 1 and no one has come close even 10 years later. Expand
  80. Nov 9, 2012
    Great game that gets way to many biased reviews here, I'v played all of the games in the series and was genuinely impressed with 343's continuation of the series. Fun gameplay, exciting campaign, and all around good and enjoyable game.
  81. Nov 10, 2012
    343i performed much better than I had expected, the campaign was stunning. There is a lot of jumping around in the campaign, true, but if you take the time to follow it you'll find it is much more immersive than previous halo campaigns, while still retaining the feel of Bungie's original. I do not know what people are complaining about. 11/10, would have been 10 if the story hadn't been343i performed much better than I had expected, the campaign was stunning. There is a lot of jumping around in the campaign, true, but if you take the time to follow it you'll find it is much more immersive than previous halo campaigns, while still retaining the feel of Bungie's original. I do not know what people are complaining about. 11/10, would have been 10 if the story hadn't been worlds ahead of where it was before. Expand
  82. Nov 10, 2012
    This is beyond a shadow of a doubt my least favorite Halo, not because it's bad, but because it fails to capture the intellectual simplicity of Bungie's games. The story no longer has the believability and grounded quality as the previous ones, which was backed up by the books so well, the art design looks unwelcoming and sterile. The villains, both the motive-lacking Covenant and theThis is beyond a shadow of a doubt my least favorite Halo, not because it's bad, but because it fails to capture the intellectual simplicity of Bungie's games. The story no longer has the believability and grounded quality as the previous ones, which was backed up by the books so well, the art design looks unwelcoming and sterile. The villains, both the motive-lacking Covenant and the hokey Didact, a Forerunner who seems to have survived simply because he didn't die with the rest on them because they didn't like him, lack emotional grounding or satisfying explanations. Multiplayer now has an arbitrary new scoring system and is designed to no longer require level memorization. Similarly Campaign now provides you with so many options for attack that you no longer need to think hard about any one with it's sandbox style. There is no reward for hard thinking. Firefight is gone. Some of the content must be accessed on line, which is a short-sighted decision. Again, it's not bad, and 343 obviously loves the Halo games they're sequelling, but really I don't think they understand what made the franchise work so well, which is to say a simple, believable story that was more complex if you devoted the time and multiplayer that was completely ballanced (again, no longer the case, many guns are way too overpowered, CE's pistol problem but not as novel essentially). Many will love it simply because it says Halo on the box, but for me the final Halo was Reach, and Chief and Cortanna remain adrift in space, which was a great ending and the only one I need until the franchise gets back on track. Expand
  83. Nov 10, 2012
    Before playing Halo 4, I took a few moments and thought back to what made the original Halo: Combat Evolved such a great, lasting experience for me. The truth of the matter, for me, is that it always came down to the campaign, over the multiplayer. I've continually played halo with friends and online for years and years, but it's the fictional universe itself that kept me most interested,Before playing Halo 4, I took a few moments and thought back to what made the original Halo: Combat Evolved such a great, lasting experience for me. The truth of the matter, for me, is that it always came down to the campaign, over the multiplayer. I've continually played halo with friends and online for years and years, but it's the fictional universe itself that kept me most interested, and so that is what I've always held as my main standard for the quality of the game. So what was Halo CE to me? Without really doing it justice, in a few words: The grand scale of things, shown in so many ways: the wonderful background art, the ability to explore the map terrains and approach combat in an open way. The slightly cartoonish, but beautiful color pallette. The gorgeous soundtrack that knew exactly when to be intense, when to be meandering, when to be passionate and when to be dark. The memborable, extremely fun set of enemies to fight. The awesome vehicle combat. The mystery and eventual horror behind the Halo ring. And the interesting dynamic between one badass space marine and his quirky, sassy AI. I've since finished the campaign and played numerous gametypes on Live (which I thorougly enjoyed). I've talked about it with friends. And I've read many reviews. Despite all of the negativity I'm seeing online, I'm proud to say that Halo 4 has been the best game experience I've had since the original Halo, as it somehow manages to recapture all of those qualities that I mentioned above, adjusted for the modern console. The game is not entirely perfect, mostly imo because the soundtrack is slightly off at different points, and the cutscenes get slightly melodramatic (although for the most part, they are entirely appropriate), but overall by far it is the Halo game I've been waiting for years to play. One thing that I am particularly happy with, and have been waiting since the original game for, is the inclusion of elements from the extended universe. They manage to seamessly intregrate characters and facts from both the written and live action universe throughout the game. I'm happy to say that I'll probably be playing online and replaying the campaign right up to the release of Halo 5. Good job 343! :) Expand
  84. Nov 10, 2012
    This is a GREAT game. It has everything that makes halo so good and honestly, who doesn't want that? From the music, to the story, to the great action. With everything improved, it somehow becomes even better. With multiple options like the spectacular and surprising campaign, spartan-ops, forge, and the new and improved multilayer. Better than I thought it would be. It's good to have youThis is a GREAT game. It has everything that makes halo so good and honestly, who doesn't want that? From the music, to the story, to the great action. With everything improved, it somehow becomes even better. With multiple options like the spectacular and surprising campaign, spartan-ops, forge, and the new and improved multilayer. Better than I thought it would be. It's good to have you back Master Chief. Expand
  85. Nov 11, 2012
    Firstly, I'm a long time Halo fan, having been an early adopter on the first XBox with Halo: Combat Evolved.

After finishing H4 on Heroic I have found the game to be a mix of good and bad, on one hand it's predictable but on the other hand there are some real eye openers from a story POV despite the enemy in the game being a huge McGuffin. Saying that, the cut scenes and story development really seems to take a secondary role to the relentless battles.

Yes, it's a shoot em up, but previous Halo games managed to temper the grind of progression against wave after wave of alien foes with some genuinely funny humour.

There is none of this in H4, and I feel it suffers for taking itself too seriously.

The campaign is too short with at times set pieces of wearing monotony, yes it's beautiful to look at but it seems that beauty is only skin deep.

At times I found the audio frustrating, conversations over the com from NPCs could not be heard because the in game music and effects were cranked up to 11. I game on a dedicated system with a large plasma and a decent 5.1 system that is well configured. I thought I'd drop into the audio settings to adjust but there is no capability in the settings to adjust the volume of different soundtracks which meant at times I had to guess at what game objectives were and just blindly follow the way points.

To sum up, 343, C- must do better.
  86. Nov 11, 2012
    One word truly awesome game. I mean a clear refresh from the old good Halo days. games need to innovate not stay like it was five years back. thats what 343 did and they did it superbly. those who are scoring low I think didnt even bother to judge the whole package. come on its Halo and it needs to innovative. this game has all what was missing in a games like this. yes there are fewOne word truly awesome game. I mean a clear refresh from the old good Halo days. games need to innovate not stay like it was five years back. thats what 343 did and they did it superbly. those who are scoring low I think didnt even bother to judge the whole package. come on its Halo and it needs to innovative. this game has all what was missing in a games like this. yes there are few lackings but as a whole package its superb. Expand
  87. Nov 13, 2012
    Let me start off by saying that This is the best halo sense halo 2. Not only was i blown away by the direction 343 took halo but was very impressed by the campaign. Let me start off by saying that the graphics in this game are beautiful. The campaign felt so alive, Master cheif feels like more than a faceless hero, The games La nourish facial movement and the once again mind blowingLet me start off by saying that This is the best halo sense halo 2. Not only was i blown away by the direction 343 took halo but was very impressed by the campaign. Let me start off by saying that the graphics in this game are beautiful. The campaign felt so alive, Master cheif feels like more than a faceless hero, The games La nourish facial movement and the once again mind blowing graphics make this my favorite halo campaign yet. In fact if a halo movie is to be released in the next couple of years i would rather prefer it be animated with these graphics than live action. So big plus on campaign. Now to multiplayer/ spartan ops. The multiplayer is brilliant. Its better than ever introducing new armor abilities and a lot of options to add to your load out such as quick re-load, extra ammo, unlimited sprint, exct. Now i know this sounds a lot like COD but it feels nothing of the sort. This game is still very much halo even with all of its new features (note there is no weapon customization). The spartan ops in this game is very fun, with each week introducing a new episode you will always be introduced to something new and fresh. Now lets talk about the sound. The game sounds amazing!!! 343 has remastered all of the sounds. from the sound of your armor moving as you move to the sound of the vehicles/ weapons, and i gotta say the new sounds are amazing. it makes everything feel more powerful. if you cant tell already i loved this game from the campaign to the multiplayer there is plenty in this game to keep you buisy for months if not years. i Am angry at all the negative reviews on this game. Many have said they liked it but still gave it zeros. If this is you stop reviewing games on here your not a good reviewer. If you like a game but think it could be improved or if you simply just didn't like a part about the game then give it an actually score. Don't give a game a zero just because of one flaw (which i found none). So if any one reads my review understand that the bad reviews are from people who dont know how to give a review. Every other website with people ratings say that they loved the game. It seems like all the idiots come here. Oh and lastly custom games along with forge are still here but ten times better. Forging things together has gotten a lot easier. eve people who usually don't forge will easily beadle to make a decent map now. Expand
  88. Nov 14, 2012
    The graphics are amazing, I'm surprised they could have such beautiful graphics on a 7 year-old console.The campaign wasn't too long, it was a decent length, but it was truly beautiful with an amazing story. Spartan ops is neat but suffers from major lag when played online. The multiplayer adds in some ways additions to make it like COD, but it is kind of a good thing. They've made changesThe graphics are amazing, I'm surprised they could have such beautiful graphics on a 7 year-old console.The campaign wasn't too long, it was a decent length, but it was truly beautiful with an amazing story. Spartan ops is neat but suffers from major lag when played online. The multiplayer adds in some ways additions to make it like COD, but it is kind of a good thing. They've made changes to keep Halo fresh and the game is Extremely fun. Expand
  89. Nov 25, 2012
    343 industries clearly wanted to distance themselves from Bungie by redesigning how the Halo universe looks and how it sounds. Unfortunately for 343 compared to Reach the game feels far less impressive with less appealing aesthetics and the completely redesigned sounds seemed to miss the mark too.

The game itself tried to do to many things to please a larger audience base. New to the game are mech armor, linear flying sequences (which uncannily seemed like Starfox 64 with a halo skin) Quick time events and even a set piece that seemed to be taken from portal, where the bad guy inexplicably re-arranges a level design to make it harder (but not impossible for some reason) to get from point A to point B. On the note of the Bad guy, his motivation is brushed away in one line of dialogue and then takes a position of complete indifference to Master Chief for the rest of the game even though he is continually foiled by the chief. Cortana no longer has her strong personality but rather now reminds me of someone craving attention by constantly complaining just to get Master Chief to reassure her which accumulates to the most out of place cut-scene.

The multiplayer is now more focused on fast paced action rather than weapon spawn camping. which is a significant improvement. Though the need for a perk to be able to pick up fallen grenades seems a bit odd for a halo game.

Overall a massive missed opportunity with the poorly written and heavily retconned plot where Microsoft might have been better off just creating a completely new universe from scratch rather than attaching onto the existing halo one.
  90. Jan 27, 2013
    Over hyped as usual only protected by nostalgia and fanboyism. Yes it's great to look at but just like all games in the series are your basic and simple shooter. Strip away all the flashy lights and explosions and tell me this game is unique and worth the high praise it gets. Oh and the talking computer is bloody annoying and somehow ends up being center of attention which is a complete joke.
  91. Feb 1, 2013
    The flaws that exist lie mainly within mission design, plot flow, character development, multiplayer, game balance, map design, playlist implementation, game mechanics implementation, axed features, and lack of watercooler moments that really jive with previous iterations in the halo universe. Visually the game is outstanding but Halo 4 is a HUGE disappointment where it matters.
  92. Nov 9, 2012
    Halo 4 represents a bold step forward for the franchise that feels both fresh and familiar. Boasting Halo's trademark multiplayer, a gripping campaign, an experimental co-op mode and the usual gubbins, Halo 4 like all the other Halos that have come and gone, represents incredible value for money.
  93. Feb 3, 2013
    tldr: single player good. Multiplayer bad. I really wanted to like this game, I love the story but the multiplayer is awful. The spartan ops an extenuation that lets your spartan be a part of the greater Halo story is great! However, the true multiplayer or pvp is just awful. The maps are too small and are horribly unbalanced. Bungie did a much better job with multiplayer, whereas 343tldr: single player good. Multiplayer bad. I really wanted to like this game, I love the story but the multiplayer is awful. The spartan ops an extenuation that lets your spartan be a part of the greater Halo story is great! However, the true multiplayer or pvp is just awful. The maps are too small and are horribly unbalanced. Bungie did a much better job with multiplayer, whereas 343 did better with the overall story. Expand
  94. Jan 5, 2013
    343 has done a fine job with this title,adding a great deal of polish,but little more.It's still just Halo.Nothing more,nothing less.At least it's not a yearly title yet.
  95. Dec 8, 2012
    This game plays very similiar to the other Halo games with its face paced combat, excessive dying, same enemies and an addition to a few knew ones. In fact, the game plays out so "the same" that it seems like the Halo series is now "the never ending story". And I think this is the disappoint that I have with the game in the underwhelming adversary that follows the same potline as theThis game plays very similiar to the other Halo games with its face paced combat, excessive dying, same enemies and an addition to a few knew ones. In fact, the game plays out so "the same" that it seems like the Halo series is now "the never ending story". And I think this is the disappoint that I have with the game in the underwhelming adversary that follows the same potline as the first three games. There is a deeper interaction with Master Chief and Cortana, however, that alone is not enough to make the game really interesting. When a game is only six hours long, you need a story to compensate the short game play. This one wasn't as bad as O.D.S.T, but not much better. Expand
  96. Nov 7, 2012
    This is exactly what the series needed, huge improvements in all areas especially online.
    This is a breath of fresh life for the series that I hope continues.
  97. Nov 9, 2012
    Outstanding campaign and its story. Art design, music, character development... all top notch. Multiplayer is a blast as well. 343 really took the torch and expanded the universe impressively.
  98. Nov 6, 2012
    Epic new story arc started... and wow to Cortana & MC's banter in this Halo.. the best yet.

Campaign was awesome, and haven't played much multiplayer yet, but from what I can tell, it's pretty bleeding good. My only complaint would be the matchmaking (no 'Best Connection' filter) but I like how there's more emphasis on skill matching anyway, all good!
  99. Nov 7, 2012
    Currently the average user ratings stand at 5.3 due to all the haters giving the game a 0 rating which is quite honestly criminal, yes the campaign is short and the new multiplayer direction may not suit all previous hlo players but with out a doubt this is still a great game and should at least score a 7 for players that dont like the changes. Graphical the game is one of the bestCurrently the average user ratings stand at 5.3 due to all the haters giving the game a 0 rating which is quite honestly criminal, yes the campaign is short and the new multiplayer direction may not suit all previous hlo players but with out a doubt this is still a great game and should at least score a 7 for players that dont like the changes. Graphical the game is one of the best looking console games to date, the story is strong and although i'm still not 100% sold on the COD/Halo game mechanics its still well above par and hats off to 343 for trying something diffrent. I was going to rate the game as a 8.5 to 9 but considering all the crappy reviews that some users are giving it, it deserves the extra 1 to 1.5 rating to make up for your reviewing skills. To all of you who haven't played the game yet don't believe the crappy scores if you are in doubt rent the game as i'm sure your love it and will end up buying it anyway, and for the wonderful reviews that have said I would have given this a 10 but because crap crap and more crap ..... so i'll give it a zero and for you that have said its a good game and given it a 0 you really should play the game first before reviewing it and if you have played it at least give it a score it deserves! rant over thanks for listening Expand
  100. Nov 18, 2012
    1st off i want to say to all the Halo haters out there,u suck ball bags!! Anyone scoring this game under a 6 is a tool. I like COD but Halo takes back the crown it left vacant for many years as the king of FPS & damn it feels good to be king again baby [or Chief?] Halo 4 rocks!! I purposely waited til i finished the campaign & had a good jam with multiplayer to write this review cos i1st off i want to say to all the Halo haters out there,u suck ball bags!! Anyone scoring this game under a 6 is a tool. I like COD but Halo takes back the crown it left vacant for many years as the king of FPS & damn it feels good to be king again baby [or Chief?] Halo 4 rocks!! I purposely waited til i finished the campaign & had a good jam with multiplayer to write this review cos i didnt want the nostalgia or excitement to affect my score. Now i can say with no bias intended that Halo 4 is in my opinion the best Halo since Halo 1,if not the best. Hell very probably the best FPS out there & that's sayin something. The campaign is excellent & 343 have earned my respect. I was worried with no Bungie [like most Halo fans] where Halo was heading & how it would play, but seeing what they have done,I'm anticipating to see where they are going. The weapons & sounds & gameplay remain top notch,also the fight sequences in the campaign certify Halo's strength,whether your trying to come up with new ways to beat the ever favorite Covenant,or tackle the new formidable foes in the Promethean's [& a cool enemy they are} Halo 4 always keeps u on your toes & more importantly wanting to go back to beat that prick of a Knight or Elite that just slayed u. The cutscenes are the best i have ever seen in a Halo game & also take top marks for best graphics seen in any game. Multiplayer has a few new additions & u will never tire of finding a different game mode to play as there is plenty on offer here,its up to its ears with customizations & armor & abilities to unlock to keep u going back for more & the fast paced feel of it only adds to what was already a great multiplayer & makes it exceptional,along with the new kill cam i will never have to go through 1 more tea bagging ever again,thanks again 343. The new spartan ops mode is cool although i do miss firefight & wish it was included,only time will tell whether 343 decision to remove it & replace it with spartan ops & episodic content every week will pay off,im still a bit skeptical on this but we will see what happens. Everyone out there thinking its just same old Halo nothings changed,well hang on,thats what makes Halo. You wouldnt expect Mario to stop jumping or smashing blocks to save princess or Solid Snake not to thwart some maniacal team of assassins hell bent on causing some catastrophe or Ezio to stop assassinating poor folk,it just wouldn't be humane,so why expect Halo not to be Halo? That's what makes these games unique to us all. Lets face it this is a Halo game so if you don't like Halo chances are you wont conform,but to the rest of us...this is Halo & with that comes all the gorgeous visuals & stunning locations & brilliant weapons & sounds expected of a Halo title & this delivers. Most importantly its great to play Halo 4 & to be the Master Chief & experience his fight again. From the brilliant settings & frantic firefights,on ground or in the air,to the engaging storyline,to running around with a mate in co-op tackling Covenant or Prometheans,or just beating that darn red team in good ole fashion slayer,or creating your own map in forge mode,or theatre where u can earn bragging rights & show off that lucky stick u got with a plasma or that impossible shot with sniper. Halo 4 has it all & once again sits pretty atop its throne & sets the benchmark for FPS. Here's looking at u 343! Expand
  101. Nov 13, 2012