6.9

1. Nov 11, 2012
    Halo 4 is probably the best game of 2012. With a totally enhanced gameplay and beautiful graphics, Master Chief returns to the world of gaming at its best.

- Visual: 10.0
      - Gameplay: 9.8
      - History: 10.0
      - Audio: 9.8
      - Fun: 10.0

- Final Rating: 10.0
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    As a 10 year Halo veteran, I must say that I am very impressed with what 343i has accomplished here. Halo 4 is an excellent game! The campaign, while NOT perfect, was put together very well. The multiplayer experience feels fresh and new, and everything is balanced very well (Including the Armor Abilities). The Forge mode has taken a huge step up from Reach with all the new additions and dynamic lighting. However, the custom games has actually taken a step down from from past games due to less customization. Spartan Ops has got to be the worst part of Halo 4, it just isn't a worthy successor to Firefight. Overall, Halo 4 is a solid game that everyone ought to play. Well done 343i :D Expand
  3. Dec 16, 2012
    The graphics were superb; some of the best I've ever seen on any game console. The music is good, but it reminds me too much of the Mass Effect series. It just doesn't sound... Halo-ey. Despite its length, I got really sucked into the story. This is the type of game where it really helps to go a little slower and take in the sights, learn some backstory, and appreciate the amount of work put into what you're looking at. I still don't understand how some of the environments were rendered in real time on an Xbox. The cutscenes were even better.

I felt like the stronger relationship between Cortana and Master Chief was a little cheesy, but with good reason. It was still sometimes a little embarrassing to watch certain cutscenes with friends around.

The multiplayer plays more like Mario Kart as opposed to chess in the other games. In the older Halo games, you had discrete options; with memorization of where power weapons spawn, you could play the game out decisively and with foresight.
    In this version, loadouts and random drops from things called ordinances dictate what power weapons you can obtain. This leaves a lot up to chance, and makes the gameplay feel cheap. Available power weapons on the map are also indicated on your HUD, which I think is sort of cheap. There should be a "classic" gameplay variant where where weapons spawn in regular intervals in certain spots, and everyone spawns with the same weapons. Also, no armor abilites and other ordinances and perks **** That's what COD is for.

Spartan Ops is a sort of "Spartan-IV-marines point of view" weekly-updated episodic campaign. It feels pretty cheaply made, it's nowhere near the quality of the actual campaign. The cut scenes are rendered well and visually look just as good as the campaign ones, yet they don't hold the same emotional or situational impact. I would rather they have put more time into the campaign mode. It's just a repetitive series of "protect this, kill that, press this button, kill this, go here, retrieve the artifact, kill that, press this button." None of the locations used are new; they're all recycled from the campaign or multiplayer maps. On top of that, in different episodes, they have used the same maps, so it just feels like you're doing the same thing over again. Its really only worth watching the cutscenes, which you can do online anyway.........
  4. Nov 7, 2012
    Brilliant new step in the Halo series. I was skeptical being a Bungie fan and enjoying Halo since the first title. But 343i has defiantly done superbly in propelling Halo forward in a NEW direction. HALO 4 IS NEW as halo 2 was from combat evolved and 3 was from 2, and again Reach from 3. Halo 4 for steps forward and in my brothers and my opinion stays true to how halo should be.

PROS:
    Brilliant campaign story and gameplay (I have played every campaign with much appreciation. RIP Sgt. Johnson)
    Faster paced Multiplayer still retains core halo feel (plenty of room for team work)
    Player customisation does not unbalance gameplay
    Great sound detail
    Improved map editing
    Theatre remains
    Careful effective multiplayer (but people will always complain) CONS:
    No FireFight (I really liked it)
    Dislike the sound of warthog and scorpion tank

BOTTOM LINE

It's not Halo "again" it's a "NEW" Halo and its FUN which is what games are for.
    REMEMBER IT IS A GAME and just chill out if it fails to meet your reason for existence.
  5. Nov 15, 2012
    I played Halo when it first came out on the Xbox a decade ago and i still remember the good memories. The game was about the Halo rings , the covenant , humanity and ofcourse Master Chief. The story was good and well conceived. This game is nothing like that. I had great expectations for Halo 4 but unfortunately this one sucks. It's as if 343 copied all the good parts from other games and mashed it together. The fore runner corridor and ship levels are all shiny and metallic like Tron. Other Tron levels in the game have the same look except a different color palette (blue to red). The jungle level looked like i was playing Crysis. The fore runners looked like Turians from Mass Effect. Heck even the main bad dude (The Didact's) voice and look felt as if he was a Collector from Mass Effect 2. I think a big portion of this game is a copy of Mass Effect 2. The emotional sickness exhibited by Cortana didn't feel real (not to mention the annoying damsel look on her face) and in the end i didn't care if she lived either. And how come MC blows a nuclear bomb in his hands and comes out unscathed? It's impossible! I felt let down. Go spend your cash on something better or heck just rent the game. Expand
  6. Nov 7, 2012
    Halo 4 seems to be a sour note for so many people: thinking that the story of the Chief should not continue. This game finally gives in to all the wonder and curiosity of the original trilogy, lets you fight next to badass Spartans, and gives you levels with scope and massive beautiful environments. I play on a 42" television and the graphics still stood up and looked phenomenal. As a PC gamer on the side, the Xbox's limitations are sorely pronounced, but Halo 4 pushes them to deliver a fulfilling experience. The cutscenes are incredibly done, and I can't wait for more. They beefed up the sounds as well. Weapons of destruction now sound like ultimate death and can be TERRIFYING. The story is different, and honestly if I hadn't read all the books (aside from Silentium) it would've been harder to keep up. After finishing the campaign I felt odd. The game had an ending that was strange for a Halo game. The Chief was on solid ground and in no mortal peril. It felt wrong. Then I played Spartan Ops and realized the true scope of the story. It's going to be big. Really big. Spartan Ops takes place 6 months after the end of the campaign, and it really will add to your perspective of the game. Remember how the original trilogy felt like it took place over the course of a week? Halo 4 sets you up to for fighting a big lengthy war, and I'm excited to see its development. I keep seeing that Halo 4 is "just the same old song and dance" from those who say Reach was a failure. Halo 4 feels more like the Halo that I started with and loved but it also feels new. So what if they have loadouts and perks? Every shooter game available has the same things: perks, weapons, and abilities. Who the hell cares how you get them? Borderlands, Battlefield, CoD, Team Fortress, Super MNC, Mass Effect, Uncharted and even (a non-shooter) Skyrim all have different abilities, perks, and weapons. The only difference? They're unlocked in different ways, and no one complains about it in these games. Every game these days HAS to borrow from other games for certain mechanics, the big kicker is how it plays and Halo 4 plays like a champ. You feel like a Spartan again. You feel strong, fast, accurate, and resilient.

The customization options are great! The Armors look fantastic, the weapon selection is balanced, the perks are limited but useful (and don't feel broken) and the Armor Abilities are well thought out (no more f^%@ing Armor-Lock!). 343i really did their homework. The multiplayer has felt extremely balanced thus far, even WITH everyone's custom loadout. That's because even if when you start there are built in loadouts for you to use until you can make your own. The game also features random weapon placement so that the old pros can't just take over the map when facing new players. The "killstreaks" comparison lost merit as soon as I started playing.The Ordnance Drop is awarded via points gained by being a team player. You can get a few points from kills, but the points received for defending your flag, assisting your teammates, and staying with your objectives earn you far more. The ordnance selection is always random and has never been overpowering. Things that I've seen so far: Overshield, grenades, Sniper Rifle, Spartan Laser, Damage Boost, Needler, Incineration Cannon, and SAW. Vehicles are back and feel good again. I don't feel like I'm driving cardboard vehicles anymore, I feel like I'm driving heavy armored war vehicles just like it should.

My whole point? These people complain about the game being old when it's anything but old. It's got the same core gameplay and innovating ideas that made Halo a success, but the surrounding mechanics are a bit different. That's a good thing. I've been a hardcore fan since 2001 when I first picked up Halo CE, I've had my share of disappointments with the series (Reach) but Halo is back where it belongs, and 343i are beyond capable of keeping it there. As a long standing fan (who originally extremely doubtful of Halo 4) I am pleased. Reach was a big disappointment. It's evident that 343i saw this and put the work needed to turn it around, the looked at the specific issues in Reach and addressed each one, making the game solid and even more enjoyable.

Reading some of the reviews with a "0" I realized that the majority hadn't tried all the features of the game. The game is designed to be a whole. Single player and Infinity. 343i even worked to put a (good) story behind the entire multiplayer component that feels natural and kind of exciting. Having said that, it's not forced onto the non-story crowd. In conclusion, as with everything on this earth, this game isn't going to be for everyone, but with a little open-mindedness and less misguided hate, Halo 4 will dazzle you with deft and subtle prowess of gameplay, music, story, and graphics. I give them a 10 out of 10 for daring to pick up a game with such history then molding it into their own game, and far exceeding expectation on the way.
  7. Nov 10, 2012
    If you like Halo games, this one is amazing! I'll be brief Pros: - The most fun campaign of the series, easily. From a gameplay perspective, ditching the Flood for the Prometheans makes for a night and day improvement in terms of fun. The campaign is well paced and is of a consistently high quality throughout. -The story is similarly told to the story in Halo 1-3, meaning that its an interesting sci-fi space opera that won't make complete sense unless you're willing to read a wikipedia article or two. The game doesn't hold your hand through the narrative and explain every minute detail. It assumes you're smart enough to put the pieces together yourself, which is a breath of fresh air among modern games.

-Some of the best graphics on a console

-The best sound design I've ever heard in a game. It's an orgasm in your ears.

-The multiplayer is leagues better than the clunky snoozefest that was Reach. Too early to tell if it's as good as Halo 2/Halo 3, but it's so much better than Reach it's ridiculous. The maps are all at least decent, with a few standouts (Haven/Ragnarok). The gameplay pacing and balance is fixed from Reach and this is the fastest paced, most intense Halo game yet.

Cons
    - Makes little sense that join-in-progress was implemented for all playlists.
    - Too early to tell if the multiplayer will have longevity for competitive players, and it's really too early to tell if the move to include ordinances was a good one or not. I like it so far, though.
    - Desperately needs more maps

This isn't a con for me (it's actually a big pro), but it's still a Halo game. Obviously there's tons of Halo haters out there. If you didn't like any of the previous Halo games, you probably won't like this one. If you're looking for Call of Halo, this isn't it (thank goodness). Some Halo fans are upset about Halo "stealing" some things from CoD (loadouts, unlocks), but they're superficial "stolen" elements. I agree that they didn't need to be there, but it doesn't really matter. This game is still very much Halo and plays nothing like CoD.
  8. Nov 6, 2012
    Gorgeous looking game from start to finish. Absolutely love the the level layout, musical score (-1 for no Halo theme) and sound effects and most importantly the story. Thank you 343i for including the much deeper storyline from the books. This game oozes Halo and has cemented 343i as the holder of the Mantle for the Halo franchise in my eyes. I give it a thumbs up! A must buy for any Halo fan.
  9. Dec 24, 2012
    Single player consists of a great story interspersed with more hallway levels than you would ever expect to or want to see in a Halo game. A new developer created this game and it shows with the way Cortana is treated. Needless to say, the most memorable part of Halo 4 was Cortana and her story. The new developer through their treatment of Cortana essentially told players that Halo is going in a different direction.

More importantly, the single player gameplay went from Halo where the road splits at 4 forks whilst you are driving a warthog to Halo 4 where it is one big Gears of War duck and cover level interconnected to each other with hallway battles. If that ain't bad enough, the multiplayer from the moment you buy and turn on the game is discouraging from the get go. Halo 4 has a "season pass" ala Call of Duty. What the publisher says is a discount on DLC is in reality, a Halo club card where if you don't buy into it, then you are potentially left out of matches because you don't want to pay $10 for 3 recycled multiplayer maps. Overall, Halo is the space FPS while Call of Duty is the terrestrial FPS. Both have terrible single player campaigns, while the multiplayer is becoming more and more exclusive with each new iteration in the series.
  10. Nov 25, 2012
    This game was terrible. The graphics werent the worst, but they seemed to be the result of "trying too hard" to make it look good. Bad CGI comes to mind when I see the profuse use of specular. As for the story, It reminisced a generic sci-fi plot, which was entirely inconsistent with the Halo franchise. Several unending plot holes including changes such as the look of the Chief, Cortana, Forward Unto Dawn changing appearance "suddenly". I have also been unable to find a buy-able explanation on the incogitable hostility of the Covenant after all that has transpired in the Halo story from previous games. As for the multiplayer, I might as well play the new call of duty. It does not at all play like a halo game. with the addition of killstreaks(ordinance), perks, weapon unlockables, and how easy it is to kill someone makes it as far from Halo as you can get with a 'Halo' Game. This was clearly a poor attempt to 'milk the franchise' after Bungie decided to stop creating Halo games. Very disappointing for a Halo game, I would not recommend even rending this game. Expand
  11. Nov 7, 2012
    look amazing, the gameplay is so amazing all of this game is amazinf if you think "this game see soo boring " you don't know what are you saying just play and enjoy
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    I am a big Halo fan i have bought and enjoyed all of them that all had good story's and gameplay. When i got Halo 4 i was glad to see the series back to its roots with talk of the forerunners and the halo's, the campaign took me around 6-7 hours on Normal difficulty and it was really good it was a halo game as they where before though the ending is anti-climactic. You will go to many different locations and fight some new enemy's with new weapons, even some older guns return with upgrades, The game look grate the sound it good so if your a graphics makes the game person you will be pleased. After finishing the campaign i when online and that's where my problem came into it. Unlike previous Halo games this time they made a big change, gone are the on map weapon you needed find, this time its a class baced multiplayer. once you get to a certain level you make a class slimier to another hit FPS that comes out this time of the year. it takes a lot of its elements form the OTHER FPS and makes it feel not halo, the maps are good but with the unevenness of the classes i feel like its a drag to unlock all the weapons that the game should have at the beginning. but with that aside the co-op campaign is really good i had tons of fun playing them and with more on the way it keeps the fun for a while. So with the good story and co-op it makes the game wort a buy for a fan or just a rent for others who are interested, as i said i am a big halo fan but this installment didn't grip me much, its a good go for the new developers (343 Industry's) but ill like to see what that do for there next installment. Expand
  13. Nov 7, 2012
    After playing some multiplayer and campaign, I can honestly say that this is a great game. Sure it's different, but so was Halo 2 compared to CE, and Halo 3 compared to Halo 2, and so on. I haven't finished the campaign so I cannot comment on the storyline itself, but to complain about a boring unoriginal storyline in a video game is expecting a bit much. Do you really think you're getting a Martin Scorsese level plot in a video game? A lot of people have praised the storyline in Skyrim, but I have to admit it is the same basic "Chosen one to save the world" kind of plot. Frankly from what I've seen so far, this is head and shoulders above the previous campaign storylines. It really has some heart and shows a fragile side to the Chief and the spartans in general. It shows that they are NOT perfect, invulnerable, mindless machines. They are still people who have flaws and emotions. As for the multiplayer, it is better than Reach hands down. I like the speed and pacing and even though I'm not a COD fan, I like the elements they took from it. Really ramps up the action and excitement. I do miss Firefight and the changes in custom options is annoying, so the game is not a 10, but since everyone else on this site can justify giving a 0 to balance things I can do the same the other way. My real review is a 9/10. Expand
  14. Nov 7, 2012
    343 have done a great job. The audio and gameplay are fantastic. Best Halo yet. Also the multiplayer is better than ever. Minus 6 points as there is no local search or ping indicator in multiplayer. WTF, 343?!?!? FIX IT! I don't want to lag.
  15. Nov 9, 2012
    I am disappointed. I was a big , fan of halo 1,2 and 3 ( over 70 days of play time on halo 3 ) but this halo is not something that fit with the quality of the trilogy. I will start with SP. The story last 4 hours in normal ( short as f*** for a 60 $ games ) and is not ''punchy''' like others halo. A very linear environment with nothing special and some really similar objective make the campaign something that do not worth it. For the MP , this game should be called DMR 4 instead of Halo 4. The dmr is the only DECENT gun in the whole multiplayer. It just feel like a halo reach V 2 , even more crappy. I will sell this waste of time and stick to halo 3 instead , who still a decent and interesting game. Halo 4 do not deserve the name HALO. Expand
  16. Nov 7, 2012
    I want to love this game I really do it's just ... just. Where do I begin?

The story isn't bad don't get me wrong and playing campaign is pretty fun as well. But it feels off, it doesn't feel like a halo game yet a game that was in mid development and kinda just threw in characters from halo in there at the last second.
    So campaign: Pretty decent.
    And where my main problem is the
    multi-player. Why is it trying to be so complex? It's just multiplayer doesn't need a story. That's not even the problem though. The problem is how it feels closer to call of duty then anything. I mean instant respawns, kill streaks, and classes. I just miss the old halo feeling.
    Multiplayer: Awful.
    As a person that loved all the halo games I hate to say this but I doubt I'll be getting another halo game in the future. Never before in all of the halos I've played did the multiplayer turn me off so badly.
  17. Nov 6, 2012
    Just finished the campaign and have to say I'm very pleased. Easily the best story since Halo 1. Weapons feel good, sound is great, controls are best they have ever been. 343 outdid Bungie hands down, no doubt. This was amazing.
  18. Nov 7, 2012
    Halo 4 is the best halo yet. Everything is upgraded from the graphics, the sound and the multiplayer is the most fun it has ever been. The campaign is very emotional and has one of the best stories in a halo game. I first doubted 343 after bungie left but Halo 4 is one of the best halo games ever made and far better then reach.
  19. Nov 7, 2012
    I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from on this one. This is obviously a love letter to the franchise and a promise to the fans that the future of this series is a bright one. I haven't felt the same sense of wonderment about Halo since Halo 2 came out. I couldn't be more pleased with the changes and additions to multiplayer. I was a fan of COD Modern Warfare, but I didn't care for the follow-ups. This game is the best of both worlds: a faster paced more balanced Halo experience coupled with a solid feeling of progression. The story is by far the most personal this series has ever seen, and the graphics are fantastic considering the aged platform they were produced for. Do yourself a favor, try the game for yourself before you trust those who're giving it a low score. I find it hard to believe you could come away disappointed from this game. Expand
  20. Nov 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i should preface this by saying that im a halo fan from the original halo thru halo 3, reach pushed me away and this one pretty much slammed the door in my face. the campaign is boring and frankly not the kind of story i would expect from a halo game. SPOILER! there is no boss fight at the end. now on to what everyone cares about: multiplier. my first thought is how **** disgraceful it is with the lack of map diversity. i hope you LOVE the map you play on because chances are you going to play it 6x in a row because there are only like 5 or 6 maps total and only 3 per selected game type (oddball, king of the hill, slayer, etc.) they tried to steal some tactics from call of duty but failed at it with there layouts but does it really matter what gun you start with if they all kill in 5 shots? i hope im not alone in thinking that i loved halo because it was a tactics game where everyone was on a level playing field. no tricks hidden up peoples sleeves. if i wanted that i would play COD, which i do and enjoy. i would not recommend this game for people who enjoyed the early (golden age) halo games. Expand
  21. Feb 12, 2013
    All the people who have given Halo 4 less than an extremely positive review need to stop talking right now. Go home, relax, because honestly, no one cares what you have to say. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in this case, I ask you, did you even play the fricking game? "Easy to beat on Legendary?" Yeah right. The campaign is set and paced perfectly, with systematic events popping up at times you'd least expect. It gets a little frustrating on Legendary, so I'd highly recommend starting on Normal for all newbies to see everything Halo 4 has to offer. Halo 4 is officially the first time a game's sound has ever made me step back and say "Whoa." Every bullet fired sounds like it means something, and exemplary tracks provide the perfect backdrop to one of the most anticipated games of all time. Visually, Halo 4 has no equal. You may need to get your eyes checked if you can't see very wrinkle, every scar, every pore on every single character's face. Occasionally, little details like crumbs on the chin or a very minor bloodstain has me reeling, but it looks the most realistic I have ever seen. For most, Halo 4's stunning campaign arc will be second only to 4's multiplayer. A host of new gametypes and beautiful maps provide the perfect atmosphere for the hectic Spartan IV battles you are about to jump in to. I would like to commend 4 because of the fact that blood is spilled increasingly sparingly. Voice chat, game chat and players can all be blocked, turned off, or booted, if you'd just like a (relatively) silent alone gaming time. In FPS game of the year, Halo 4 definitely outranks its rival Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 in every way, so if you happen to be looking for a perfect futuristic FPS, I can say to look no further. Halo 4 was a hell of a game, and easily jumps to my top 10 games of all time. Peace. Expand
  22. Nov 7, 2012
    Haters gonna hate I guess. The game is good so far. I am playing on legendary and compared to the older games legendary is a bit of a joke. I'm looking at about 1.5 hours on the campaign and I have completed the first chapter/mission. Very rarely do I need more than 2 or 3 tries at an encounter to pass it (as opposed to the 20 or 30 that I needed for the older Halo legendary difficulties). Maybe I am just a better FPS player, hard to say::::::::::: Graphically speaking this game desperately needs better hardware to run on. I think that 343i would have had an absolute field day if they were able to produce this on a next-gen console. As it stands, probably the best looking console game, though the Uncharted series always looks outstanding for the hardware. Cortana's buck teeth really bother me though::::::::::::: Sound is classic Halo for the most part. However, there are a few things that have been greatly improved. Guns in particular. Cortana's voice acting is going South. Just awful. Chief sounds good during the cinematics, but pretty bad during gameplay. Maybe that is just a personal perception, but I don't much care for chief's ingame voice::::::::::: Replay-ability is hard to say at this point. I feel that any campaign based game has no replay-ability unless it has some sort of RPG aspect, which of course Halo has none::::::::::::: Multiplayer - no comment. I have not even touched it and I may never touch it. The load out option seems to be fine to me, so long as the guns are balanced. Of course having never played I cannot say one way or the other::::::::::::: In short, what the heck is with all of these scores in the red? I could almost understand a 6, lots of let down to be had for many people, but a freakin' 0? Absolute garbage. Also, no where near a 10. I can already tell this game will be pretty short. I feel that on the hardest difficulty the campaign should take at least 24 hours; somehow I seriously doubt there are 24 missions averaging 1 hour each. So, 8. Worth a buy for certain. Expand
  23. Nov 6, 2012
    although i am a major gamer, this will be the first halo game that i have played and while its not as good as dishonored, it really shows the people at ubisoft what can be acomplished by not overthinking a game development and letting it get completely out of control (hello assassins creed 3)!! i have found halo 4 to be one of the best looking, atmospheric games on any console. the controls are tight and the AI is very very good (without being over the top hard). i am about 3/4 of the way through and i am really enjoying it. so forget all the stupidly low scores and for that matter the stupidly high ones because even though its not a ground breaking game changer. It is a quality title and what it does is give you a quality title filled with enjoyment without all those annoying bugs that plague some other major releases (hello assassins creed 3 AGAIN!!!!). so suit up, load your weapons and most of all.....ENJOY!! Expand
  24. Jan 7, 2013
    Just terrible. There is nothing wrong with adopting elements from other games, especially competitors, but this game is just a reskinned call of duty clone. Dont see how? Let me explain. First of all, the munitions drops are very similar to care packages, or things along that line, but again, it's not just this, it's because of this and alot of things. Secondly, the spartan points, OH GOD, the spartan points. Spartan points are just the renamed credit system from halo reach. The problem with the credit system was that it killed custom games, the funnest part of the halo series. You may be asking "How did it kill custom games?", well, it's because it put a huge focus on grinding out your character in match making, leaving people who just wanted to have fun in the dust, like me. Heck, I don't ever see a single one of my friends play Halo 4 for this reason, because no one plays anything besides matchmaking, and matchmaking gets boring because it's the same ol stuff over and over. Not to mention you not only unlock armor, you also have to unlock your weapons, armor perks, and weapon drops, meaning that alot of people will absolutely spank you because you haven't unlocked the weapon your good with yet or because the guy owning you grinded out so much and has a rocket launcher from one of his sure to be many munitions drops. The single player has alot of problems, mainly that it's outright boring. The problem is that it's mainly nothing but jungles and forerunner structures, atleast the other halo games, mainly 2 and 3, had some variety, and while you may say "Your complaining about there being nothing but jungle and forerunner structures on a forerunner planet" Yeah, true, but we didn't know ANYTHING about this planet until the first trailer, so they could've done much better than this. Not to mention the story itself is convoluted and boring. The characters are boring as all hell, to the point that you can tell who's gonna eat a bullet and who isn't, and you can see the ending a mile away. The series as far as I'm concerned ended with Halo 3, where custom games were very common, and almost always fun, the singleplayer stories may have been a little lacking, but there was plenty of variety in the environment, and you didn't have to grind out for armor after you hit your second officer rank, lieutenant, after that, it was just to show off. Halo 3 will always be a masterpiece, as will every halo game before it, but stay away from every halo game after halo 3, because they suck. Expand
  25. Nov 13, 2012
    Absolutely amazing game with amazing graphics. With two hours of multi-player and one of campaign this game is amazing. I have not witnessed, or heard of, any lag while online. While the story is fairly hard to follow, the vistas in the game are very much 343, white, floating and imposing. Back grounds remind me very much of Halo Wars. 343 have really really dodged extinction with this game, I myself falling prone to the "343, its gonna suck" feel. Halo wars was fairly good, but not up to the Halo pedigree. Every model and texture is new, and some weapons and armour look very different compared to traditional halo armours. The unlocking system is much better than Reach, having to spend credits earned from leveling up on weapons and bonuses rather the wasting them on aesthetic. The leveled armour unlock system works much better than Reach's armour system. Expand
  26. Nov 7, 2012
    Simply the best of its kind! If you don't have an 360 yet now its the time to get one. Amazing story. Amazing graphics. Multiplayer like no other game does!
  27. Nov 7, 2012
    Just an Awesome game! Graphics are beyond what I expected for an Xbox title. Single-player has a gripping storyline and co-op play is expanded. Love it!
  28. Nov 7, 2012
    Halo 4 is by all accounts an exceptional game. 343 Industries first internally developed Halo game impresses on pretty much every front. From high quality production values, to a buttery smooth framerate 99.999% of the time, to the best graphics the series has ever seen, to a more interesting story between Chief and Cortana, etc. Halo 4 is Halo at its best.

Firstly, Halo 4 plays like a
    dream. Similar to previous Halo's, gun combat is very satisfying, but now it's more visceral and impactful than ever before. If anyone says this is Call of Duty, that's hogwash. Other than the inclusion of sprinting, this very much feels like Halo, just improved and more polished than ever. The action is much more buttery smooth than Reach was, which makes playing a complete pleasure.

Secondly, the graphics are a massive upgrade from previous Halo's. Previous Halo's lacked quite a bit when it came to character models and animations, but Halo 4 has some of the best looking character models and animations in all of gaming. It's shocking just how much of a leap these two things are from the Halo's that came before it. Going from Halo 3 to Halo 4 shows almost a full generational leap in things like lighting, character models, and animations. In addition, Halo 4 runs in native 720p resolution, which is a first for the Halo franchise, as Halo 3, ODST, and Reach all ran at upscaled 720p. To get that full native 720p resolution, Halo 4 is locked at 30 frames-per-second, and it's a wise choice. Unlike Reach, which had a framerate that varied wildly at times, Halo 4 is pretty much consistent and performs beautifully, even when under pressure from a lot of on-screen action. 343 Industries should be commended for such a technological feat as their first project. It's very impressive.

Thirdly, the story's actually incredibly compelling. While some things aren't always crystal clear, it's mostly smooth and cohesive the majority of the time. The relationship between Master Chief and Cortana will hook you from the beginning of the game and until you reach the credits at the finale. Halo 4 is a tightly knit production that offers excellence in story, visual quality, and sound quality. It's truly a masterful game from a first time studio.

As someone who has enjoyed the other Halo games this generation, I didn't fall in love with them, so it's shocking to me that Halo 4 has hit the nail on the head in pretty much everything it set out to do. Halo 4 is the best Halo since Halo: Combat Evolved. 343 Industries has made their mark on the industry, so I truly can't wait to see what they do next.
  29. Nov 10, 2012
    When Bungie left, I was very hesitant on Halo 4, but to my surprise, the story and feel was still Halo at its core. The campaign was coherent and had started where it was left off. It was great paced, and the visuals were borderline stunning. The campaign was its strong suit, and it showed. The Multiplayer is a toss up, when you get in a good connected game, and everyone isnt sitting on a vantage point with the DMR, it is an enriching experience, but those games are few and far between. The host drops constantly and as stated, the DMR is overpowered. It looks like Halo, it feels like Halo, the MP doesnt play like Halo. Its no longer a methodical tug of war where the most accurate shot wins, but rather who becomes full of lead first, no matter placement. In Halo 3 a well placed BR burst could take out shields, that is absent here, the DMR was balanced in Reach because there wasnt many options from it, now there is, and it is proven dominant. If this was a stand alone IP then it should have had a better score, but with the Halo brand comes expectations that were met in areas, but the total package was lacking. Expand
  30. Nov 7, 2012
    Let me start by saying I had EXTREMELY high hopes going into this game. I was not dissapointed, in fact it was better than I thought it could be. My hopes were surpassed, I beat the campaign and played about 8 hours of online.

CAMPAIGN: This is by far the most engaging campaign of the series, the story feels like an epic Sci-Fi story and really pulls you in. The graphics are stunning I
    didn't know the tired old Xbox 360 could produce graphics like this. The weapons sound better than ever, the gameplay has been improved feels smoother than ever. There is a realistic sense of weight to the often floaty Master Chief. I don't feel at all that this is a Reach game, I liked Reach and ODST but they grew old on me simply because nothing compares to being Master Chief. I don't understand all the haters, I never felt like this was going in a CoD kind of direction. The Power-Ups are fun and the Mantis is fun, the gameplay seems mixed and well paced. Overall I feel that this is a good step for the franchise and keeps me wanting more. The other Halo games had the gameplay but the story never pulled me in like this one, it's nice seeing more of the MC and understanding the back story. Even the QTE's don't bother me and add a little variety to the game. MULTIPLAYER: I was a big player of Halo 3 online and played it constantly, this one is a big improvement and not a CoD clone in my opinion. They just added more flavor to it, theres now a fun variety of different modes to play which kept me interested for a while. I can't get over how nice the graphics look in an online competitive environment, it's a real nice touch. OVERALL: I feel Halo is in good hands and look forward to the next one on the next generation Xbox. Expand

1. Dec 17, 2012