6.9

1. Nov 6, 2012
    You guys can rate this game as low as you want but you and your friends are going to be playing the **** out of it for a good year or two.

I've enjoyed all the other Halo games as well as a many others of the sci-fi genre and I do say that this game has done the genre great justice. Any sign of "sequelitis" is not portrayed nor even hinted. I just beat the campaign and was left with

I just beat the campaign and was left with an immense feeling of satisfaction (time to buy new pants) and wanting more at the same time. The ending is a perfect finalizing ending this could be the last Halo you played and you'd still feel the ending was good even though it's actually just an epilogue for the next game.

The emotional side is amazing. Lots of feeling shown from Cortana, Master Chief and Lasky. I've played lots of games and on a lot of platforms in my life since 1995. But I've never played such an emotionally grabbing campaign with such an immense story to tell.

I would not rate this game any less than 8 even if you paid me $2000.00 and I'm serious you can even put the cash in my hand and I'll throw it at you. When I signed into Xbox live all my friends were playing Halo 4. The game is good guys and 343i deserves all the praise you can give them.

I'm having a very hard time keeping this brief when there are so many pros and so little cons to the game but I must say; the bar has been set.
  2. Nov 6, 2012
    This game is fantastic. Please do not listen to the trolls giving it low scores, they come here every launch and downvote for the 'LULZ'. If you thought that Halo Reach was too slow you're gonna be so happy with this. Game plays faster than any previous halo - but not too fast - and strikes the balance between fun, quick gameplay and Call of Duty's "If someone saw you first you die, noThis game is fantastic. Please do not listen to the trolls giving it low scores, they come here every launch and downvote for the 'LULZ'. If you thought that Halo Reach was too slow you're gonna be so happy with this. Game plays faster than any previous halo - but not too fast - and strikes the balance between fun, quick gameplay and Call of Duty's "If someone saw you first you die, no matter how skillful you are" type stuff.

Multiplayer is fantastic.
  3. Nov 18, 2012
    I'd give the game a 9.5 The gameplay is a proper evolution of Halo gameplay while keeping the core features that make the game definitely feel like Halo, just refined and improved. Compared to most other FPS single player campaigns, Halo 4s is very good. The story is just ok, but I had more fun in SP than most games all gen due entirely to Halo unique gameplay and enemy AI. To add someI'd give the game a 9.5 The gameplay is a proper evolution of Halo gameplay while keeping the core features that make the game definitely feel like Halo, just refined and improved. Compared to most other FPS single player campaigns, Halo 4s is very good. The story is just ok, but I had more fun in SP than most games all gen due entirely to Halo unique gameplay and enemy AI. To add some much neede depth to the SP story it's best to watch all the PR and spends a day reading the HaloWiki. The improved graphics (which are excellent for old consoles) come at a minor cost to environment size and perhaps a tiny hit to AI. The MP is a series best for me....so far. I've had the game since launch and seem to have spent 75% on my MP time on one map, due to the voting system and the map options the game offers. There is a problem with matches and stats not being added to your record which is VERY frustrating. I enjoy spartan-ops more than the firefight and the story element adds to the enjoyment despite being fairly shallow but something is better than nothing. Also, the lack of matchmaking for old spartan ops episodes is a major let down. Overall, the game offers so many hours of fun and interesting game types that it deserves to be among the best games in the gen. 343 actually surpasses Bungie in many ways, and only falters occasionally. 343 has proven to me that they are among the top devs, Halo 4 do a lot and does the majority of it very very well. Expand
  4. Nov 7, 2012
    Halo 4 presents the most polished and engaging Halo to date. 343 took Halo's core and added vulnerability. Master Chief has never been so humanized, and it makes for fantastic cut scenes. Not only is the story the best of the series, but the boring Covenant aren't the main enemy anymore. The new Promethean Knight is every bit as vicious as the Elite, but varies in its combat methods.Halo 4 presents the most polished and engaging Halo to date. 343 took Halo's core and added vulnerability. Master Chief has never been so humanized, and it makes for fantastic cut scenes. Not only is the story the best of the series, but the boring Covenant aren't the main enemy anymore. The new Promethean Knight is every bit as vicious as the Elite, but varies in its combat methods. Many times I was surprised by how I was wailed on by these very formidable opponents. I can go on and on about how great this game is. But to sum it all up, I've been playing Halo since the beginning. Every game has been fun and worthwhile, but none of the games invoked the emotion and investment Halo 4 has out of me. Add a splendidly varied campaign in terms of encounters and vehicle play to the mix, more than even Reach. I loved the story, and it's only getting better with the promised 5th & 6th games. Composer Neil Davidge also brought the score of Halo to a new high. The sounds and music of Halo 4 are phenomenal. Best game of the series. 343 have set their own bar, and to surpass it would be to make perhaps the greatest game ever. Expand
  5. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo 4 is not just the best Halo since Halo 2, it is THE best Halo yet. After the spectacular Halo 2 I was not disappointed per say by 3, but underwhelmed. Halo 4 however has delivered in every way possible, it has done everything it has promised and more. The writing is fresh and better than in any previous Halo game, the game play is similar, but with enough new elements to keep itHalo 4 is not just the best Halo since Halo 2, it is THE best Halo yet. After the spectacular Halo 2 I was not disappointed per say by 3, but underwhelmed. Halo 4 however has delivered in every way possible, it has done everything it has promised and more. The writing is fresh and better than in any previous Halo game, the game play is similar, but with enough new elements to keep it interesting and fun and the story itself is just mind blowing, especially for Halo fans out there, though I'm sure people experiencing halo for the first time will enjoy it too. I could care less about the graphics, some of the best games in history have had terrible graphics by today's standards, but this game has nearly perfect graphics as well. Everything about this game is as close to perfection as possible and I can tell it has been polished to an absolute shine. If you are already a Halo fan then you will absolutely love this game, if you are not already and perhaps didn't like the previous ones, try this one out, it could easily sway you I'm sure. Oh and all of this is just based on the campaign, I haven't even touched on the multiplayer yet; a game has to be able to stand on it's campaign alone first, then it's multiplayer, if it has it. Multiplayer is a bonus, but in this case even the multiplayer is near perfection. GET THIS GAME, I promise you won't regret it. Expand
  6. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo 4 is the first fps to come out in a while that isn't a disappointment. Even though the campaign is only 6 hours long, the entire time is full of adrenaline pumping action. The story is about as good as you expect from the halo games, if you really want to know about the lore read the books. There are multiple "paths" within levels that make the game feel not as linear as CoD orHalo 4 is the first fps to come out in a while that isn't a disappointment. Even though the campaign is only 6 hours long, the entire time is full of adrenaline pumping action. The story is about as good as you expect from the halo games, if you really want to know about the lore read the books. There are multiple "paths" within levels that make the game feel not as linear as CoD or Halo: Reach. These paths all end up in the same location, but the way they are presented doesn't make it feel like you're walking down a hallway. The guns all sound and feel very unique and very awesome. There's a huge difference in the way the BR feels compared to the Carbine for example. The way they handle, sound and feel in the way of controller rumble is great.

The multiplayer is the best since Halo 3. There is a good balance between the main primary weapons and they all have their use. The DMR and BR are both viable options with the DMR having a bit of an edge at very long distances, but if you are skilled enough with the BR it really doesn't matter. The way the weapons drop on the map rather than spawn on a timer in the same location makes the game a lot less reliant on power weapons and more about skill. Personal ordinance drops (point streaks from CoD) give you a VERY slight edge for a good amount of effort. The most powerful drop is a power boost which makes you 3-shot if all shots are in the head or 4 shot otherwise, instead of 5-shot. But when you die, that's it. It's gone. The streaks are nothing like CoD since the entirety of multiplayer of CoD relies on point streaks, whereas the Halo 4 streaks give a slight edge that you lose as soon as you die. Spawning before your timer is over can be troublesome in that if you get a lucky enough spawn, you can run over to the person whom killed you and finish them off. Although, this scenario has only happened one time on the smallest map in my 180 games. More often than not, spawning early so that you can sprint back into the battle just ends up with you dieing again. The multiplayer is nothing like Reach. Yes, there are armour abilities. No, they aren't OP. There's no invincibility (Armour lock) and the AA's just allow you to escape death for another second before you're struck down. There are small perks that are like collecting frag grenades from fallen players or getting ordinance drops slightly quicker (the equivalent of a kill). These perks generally don't make a difference on gameplay as long as you don't suck horribly.

People complaining about the multiplayer being imbalanced must just not be very good at it. Although it has taken some features from CoD, like the killcam, it does NOT play like CoD. You can't just sprint forward and spray your gun at someone hoping to get a kill. Halo 4 feels like a combination between Halo 3 and Halo 2, with a sprinkle of Reach in the way of sprint/AA. If you liked Reach, but not other Halo games, you might not enjoy this one. A good example is the sniper. There is no aim assist. If you are slightly off your target, you are slightly off your target. You miss. It's not like Reach, close enough isn't close enough.

If you liked Halo 3, you need this game. If you liked Reach but not Halo 3, you might not like this game. The Halo series feels like Halo again.
  7. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story and the graphics is absolutely brilliant. The story is both emotional and suspenseful, giving the sense of mystery that drew so many people to the first Halo, the dialogue is improved 10 fold from previous game, and the antagonist is strong and brilliant. However I might add that the ending leaves little room for a good sequel as so much emotion was used to end the game. The graphics are top notch, brilliant textures, lighting, and environment. The game sounds absolutely magnificent, with loud and thundering sounds mixed with emotional and tragic music. Gameplay is smooth and exciting, however it gets quite repetitive in late game. The mulitplayer is fun and refreshing, but far too unbalanced, guns are either ridiculously overpowered (SAW) or horrendously slow and weak (Railgun), armor abilities are almost useless as the only useful ones are the hardlight shield and the jetpack. Now the cons, the AI is junk, the AI not only does not help with thinning enemy lines, but it instead fires at anything in their line of sight including you. The prometheans seem cliche and generic, it seems like a new stronger covenant. However the ultimate con about this game is the length, in short the game is far too short, it takes 6-7 hours in normal to beat it solo and about 3-4 to beat it in co-op. In summary, this game is absolutely brilliant in story, gameplay, graphics and pace. But because of it's flaws, it does not deserve a 10. However it does come very very close to a 10. If only it was longer... if only Expand
  8. Nov 6, 2012
    i can see here that "ps3fans" are burning so hard :)
    (most "negative" reviews are from them)
    HALO4 is awesome in "gameplay,enemies AI,level design and story". MASTER CHIEF" is back and the ancient enemies are awake.story is so emotional and attractive with lovely cortana,master chief personality is in best shape,side characters are believable and useful.new story-line is strong for a
    i can see here that "ps3fans" are burning so hard :)
    (most "negative" reviews are from them)
    HALO4 is awesome in "gameplay,enemies AI,level design and story".
    MASTER CHIEF" is back and the ancient enemies are awake.story is so emotional and attractive with lovely cortana,master chief personality is in best shape,side characters are believable and useful.new story-line is strong for a new serie.old-guns are so handy again and new-guns level the gameplay higher.music is the only thing that is the same as before.
    game levels are different and vary.
    enemies AI is so good(i played on hard/legendary),they dodge the grenades and cover when their health is low.new enemy types have new offensive AI.
    at end i must say:
    HALO4 is so great and you must be great to understand it.
  9. Nov 6, 2012
    Easily one of the best Halos made to date. While the controls and general game-play feel very much like the other installments, both the campaign and multiplayer aspects of Halo 4 take a gentle turn away from typified Halo styling. The single player story is more detailed and in-depth with a greater focus on immersion and making the player feel like the main character. The musical scoreEasily one of the best Halos made to date. While the controls and general game-play feel very much like the other installments, both the campaign and multiplayer aspects of Halo 4 take a gentle turn away from typified Halo styling. The single player story is more detailed and in-depth with a greater focus on immersion and making the player feel like the main character. The musical score is fantastic and the pacing of the story keeps the player engaged. The feel of the game, however, is slightly different from other Halos. The beautiful graphics definitely are the prettiest thing on the 360 to date although the forerunner terrain and characters definitely take a lot of inspiration from the Metroid franchise. The multiplayer spartan customization also heavily follows the CoD formula. But much more than other Halos, 343 placed a great emphasis on character development. Chief and Cortana (and their relationship) stays are the forefront of the story. But these are not necessarily bad things. All of those aspects come together to create the most unique halo experience since the original. Quite frankly, this game is a splendid example of the shooter genre. Will it match titles such as Half-Life and Bioshock in single player mode or originality? Probably not. But Halo 4 makes a great attempt and from all angles still delivers a top-notch game in a crowded field. Will this game be worth your money? Yes. Does it deserve all the hype? 343 definitely made a great attempt at doing so. Is it going to please all Halo fans? No, it does have it's own unique feel that will steer some fans away. Halo 4 borrows some art and multiplayer design from other games. In the end, however, the overall package is a great buy and definitely one of the best titles to come out this holiday season, is not this year. If Halo fans were waiting for a fresh start on the Halo universe, their day has come. Expand
  10. Nov 8, 2012
    nice job 343 industries! you just made halo better and halo 4 will be game of the year!:)
  11. Nov 7, 2012
    The games stunning visuals and amazing sound effects along with the compelling story really does bring back that amazing feeling that playing as the Chief in Halo 3 had. The game continues the story wonderfully and creates a stronger bond between Cortana and Chief than ever before. Halo is back, and it's better than ever!
  12. Nov 8, 2012
    First of all dont listen to the moron CoD cry babies complaining giving it a 0/10. Some people says "im giving it a 0 because people give it a 10" thats got to be the worst reason i have ever heard. No game deserves a 0 unless its unplayable. Even as pathetic and rehashed as CoD is it doesnt deserve a 0/10 maybe 5/10 but not 0.

Now on to Halo 4...Have only played MP because my cd drive

Now on to Halo 4...Have only played MP because my cd drive is messed up and cant play the cinematics so it wont load but MP has been amazing so far. Anyone saying its just Halo with CoD stuff slapped on is a joke. The ordinance drops are nothing like overpowered killstreaks in CoD. You get three choices NOT 1 and no matter what you choose it has some strategic value thats not OP. Sometimes its better to choose a speedboost or overshield instead of the SAW or some rocket launcher. The fact that they make it so you choose based on whats going on makes it awesome and very different. CoD is the same thing over and over, 5 kills predator missle, die, 5 kills predator missle. Anyone can get kills easy with killstreaks and lets not even talk about how easy it is once you get to mow down people in the heli.

The guns are awesome, yes theres still the BR and some of the same old weapons but they brought a good amount of new ones and all have a purpose and all seem like they are worth using. Yes sometimes it would be stupid not to choose a BR or DMR but i love to switch it up. Loadouts might be CoDish but then again they are not the first nor are they the only game to have loadouts so that is really irrelevant. IMO they had to move in this direction because it was getting stale how it was before only using one or two guns most of the time plus a power weapon and now you can make a few load outs so you are not stuck using just the DMR or BR all game. It makes people use different setups and thats the best part. Some people will still abuse this system and just use the BR or DMR but I feel confident using different weapons and still being able to compete.

The Armor abilities/tactitcal/support packages are awesome as well. Once again people will say omg this is just like CoD, while it is similar it was also a good edition and is also different from CoD. The armor abilities are very useful and they are balanced, havent used one yet that doesnt feel useful. The thruster pack is much better than i thought if you learn how to use it. Tactical/support options are great as well and feel USEFUL, in CoD you get a million different ones no one can keep track of and it makes it feel useless. In Halo theres only a few and they all serve a purpose to how to play. Keeping it a lower number is much better than having a bunch.

They need some better playlists but I know they are going to update it in a month or so. I love SWAT and TEAM snipers. Also the Maps are very different but very awesome and they look amazing. Infinity slayer is so much fun to play, I dont know if I can go back to normal slayer now.

Cant wait to play the campaign ill update when I do...
  13. Nov 8, 2012
    Simply put, this game Call of Duty in a Halo costume. Not a terrible thing, but I was expecting more of a Halo 3 type game then a Halo Reach type game. Halo 4 continues to grow on me though.
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    Great game that gets way to many biased reviews here, I'v played all of the games in the series and was genuinely impressed with 343's continuation of the series. Fun gameplay, exciting campaign, and all around good and enjoyable game.
  15. Jan 27, 2013
    Over hyped as usual only protected by nostalgia and fanboyism. Yes it's great to look at but just like all games in the series are your basic and simple shooter. Strip away all the flashy lights and explosions and tell me this game is unique and worth the high praise it gets. Oh and the talking computer is bloody annoying and somehow ends up being center of attention which is a complete joke.
  16. Dec 8, 2012
    This game plays very similiar to the other Halo games with its face paced combat, excessive dying, same enemies and an addition to a few knew ones. In fact, the game plays out so "the same" that it seems like the Halo series is now "the never ending story". And I think this is the disappoint that I have with the game in the underwhelming adversary that follows the same potline as theThis game plays very similiar to the other Halo games with its face paced combat, excessive dying, same enemies and an addition to a few knew ones. In fact, the game plays out so "the same" that it seems like the Halo series is now "the never ending story". And I think this is the disappoint that I have with the game in the underwhelming adversary that follows the same potline as the first three games. There is a deeper interaction with Master Chief and Cortana, however, that alone is not enough to make the game really interesting. When a game is only six hours long, you need a story to compensate the short game play. This one wasn't as bad as O.D.S.T, but not much better. Expand
  17. Nov 9, 2012
    Outstanding campaign and its story. Art design, music, character development... all top notch. Multiplayer is a blast as well. 343 really took the torch and expanded the universe impressively.
  18. Nov 11, 2012
    Simply put, it's outstanding. The campaign is an emotional roller-coaster ride that firmly embraces the deep and rich lore of the Halo universe, Multiplayer makes the right adjustments to keep up with the Joneses but more than maintains that classic halo feel, Forge is better than ever, and the new addition, Spartan Ops, is an absolute blast to play with friends! Tons of game and contentSimply put, it's outstanding. The campaign is an emotional roller-coaster ride that firmly embraces the deep and rich lore of the Halo universe, Multiplayer makes the right adjustments to keep up with the Joneses but more than maintains that classic halo feel, Forge is better than ever, and the new addition, Spartan Ops, is an absolute blast to play with friends! Tons of game and content here, and it is all firmly planted in classic Halo style. Sound design is absolutely fantastic, with a stirring score (although no where near Marty's mastery at Bungie) incredible gun sounds, and bar to none the best virtual performances I have ever witnessed in a shooter. The graphics are stellar, and the mechanics feel perfect. There are a couple moments during the campaign where the AI has a brain fart, or some weird graphical issue pops up, but aside from that this is an incredibly well polished presentation and package. Please don't listen to the trolls, Halo 4 is fantastic and the series is in good hands. Expand
  19. Nov 11, 2012
    Campaign: The campaign is a bit of a letdown, short at only 6 hours, new enemy types get boring and repetitive quickly, new weapons are essentially variants on already human/covenant weapons, lack of ammo in a lot of areas in the game which has NEVER happened to me during a Halo campaign that I would run out of ammo, enemy and friendly AI can be boneheaded quite often. Storywise its notCampaign: The campaign is a bit of a letdown, short at only 6 hours, new enemy types get boring and repetitive quickly, new weapons are essentially variants on already human/covenant weapons, lack of ammo in a lot of areas in the game which has NEVER happened to me during a Halo campaign that I would run out of ammo, enemy and friendly AI can be boneheaded quite often. Storywise its not too bad, altho I find the "emotion" they shove into it feels a bit forced and overboard, especially compared to Reach's campaign where it had a somber atmosphere without saying much.

Spartan Ops: Spartan Ops is a neat idea, only 1 episode available so far but they will be releasing more, but for a first impression it hasnt been a good one. The good thing about spartan ops is that you can level up by doing those missions and you can use your MP loadouts as well, but the strange thing about spartan ops is the complete lack of challenge it provides because of the lack of checkpoint system, when you die you respawn like War Games multiplayer, so you could die an endless amount of times and not feel punished for it, so you can get through Legendary difficult without busting your brain which in my opinion is an odd choice as you can then complete each chapter in less than 20 minutes in co-op because of this instant respawn system. Another thing about the spartan ops missions is that they are all in locations from the sp campaign and there doesnt seem to be any original settings, now there could possibly be new episodes with completely different locations but I haven't heard anything on that.

War Games: The main draw for most people is the MP and to be honest I was never a big MP guy when it came to Halo, I played some Halo 3 but the most I played was the Reach Beta which I loved because it wasnt such a chore to kill opponents but upon release they changed that and I didnt play the MP much after that discovery. Halo 4 on the other hand, has a very solid MP thats not without flaws of its own, whether you want to believe it or not its a CODified Halo, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, here Halo is faster and in a lot of ways tighter than it ever was and it can be VERY addicting but some of what they introduced can be game breaking in ways, for example the SAW is very overpowered, and they tried to balance it by not letting you start with it in a loadout, and keeping it exclusively as an ordinance drop, but put it in the right hands and you may as well admit defeat, ive killed countless people with it and have been killed by countless people using it, its an awesome gun but almost ruins the game when its used in the non-pro game modes. As well the grenade damage seems to be a finicky thing where sometimes it does what you expect but other times you can't understand why someone's shields did not drop or why they did not drop themselves. This could be contributed to lag, but without clear indication of lag its hard to determine that as the cause. As well the usual MP FPS hooplah such as campers, bunny hoppers, cheap tactics etc... that we all have to live with do make their appearances strong but its not as frequent, thus far, as ive experience in other FPS games I've played (non Halo), the maps arent too bad, I prefer close quarter combat most so the standout map for me is Haven as it keeps the action fast.

I am actually giving the game a 7.5 but I can only select 7 or 8, but because I don't feel its a full 8 thats why I'm leaving it at 7. My reasons are as follows: - Way too strong of auto-aim or aim magnetism, I mainly play on PC so I rarely experience auto aim unless I play a console shooter on my xbox or ps3 but this games auto aim is WAY too strong and gives off the feeling that I'm not in complete control of the game.
    - While still on topic of controls is the lack of true customization of button mapping.
    -disappointing campaign it has some high points but can be pretty boring at times, new enemies became repetitive and lacked variety, new weapons are pretty much not needed as they are more or less counterparts to human/covenant weaponry, the story's forced emotion and some questionable characters who for whatever reason don't listen to the Master Chief when he saved humanity was cliche and non sensical.
    - Believe or not.... but the lack of Firefight to me leaves a big gaping hole in the game, i didn't think i would miss it after playing it to death on ODST and REACH but spartan ops just doesnt feel like a good replacement for one of the funnest game modes I've ever played
    - Speaking of spartan ops, essentially the lack of challenge, lack of variety (thus far) in mission structure and levels is disappointing and makes it feel tacked on despite the "weekly chapters" that will follow the launch of the game. The lack of punishment for dying especially for harder modes when it comes to respawn really makes it seem useless. Hopefully I'm proved wrong on this account and that more interesting levels will follow.
  20. Nov 6, 2012
    I'm not sure what game some people are playing but it doesn't seem like it's Halo 4. Somebody said they can aim with the left bumper, I still have to click the right stick. And comparing this with MW3 is like comparing Cristiano Ronaldo with Bob McDonald from our Sunday league team. The single player is classic Halo with a few extras thrown in and much better graphics. The MP is excellentI'm not sure what game some people are playing but it doesn't seem like it's Halo 4. Somebody said they can aim with the left bumper, I still have to click the right stick. And comparing this with MW3 is like comparing Cristiano Ronaldo with Bob McDonald from our Sunday league team. The single player is classic Halo with a few extras thrown in and much better graphics. The MP is excellent and 343 have added loadouts and weapon drops but they fit the Halo profile perfectly and add a bit extra to the game. I love the 6 or so hours I've played so far and I think it's going to sit in my drive for a few months to come. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2012
    I was skeptical about this game. I have been a long-time Halo fan, since the start. I loved the original, Combat Evolved, and Halo 2 is what has made me an XBOX Live subscriber since the beginning. After Halo 3, ODST, and Reach, I was ready to abandon the franchise. 343, built for the Halo series, replaced Bungie and promised a return to the "epicness" of Halo: CE, with some realI was skeptical about this game. I have been a long-time Halo fan, since the start. I loved the original, Combat Evolved, and Halo 2 is what has made me an XBOX Live subscriber since the beginning. After Halo 3, ODST, and Reach, I was ready to abandon the franchise. 343, built for the Halo series, replaced Bungie and promised a return to the "epicness" of Halo: CE, with some real game-changing innovations. Bravo 343. The campaign suffers from weak story narration (it is tough picking up on the Forerunner backstory and the introduction of the main antagonist), but great character narration (your typical Master Chief-Cortana narration, with extra emotion). I had to (more like wanted to) spend a whole day on the Halo wiki to learn about the deep mythology that was ignored by Bungie. It can be a bit overwhelming at times, but it was eye-opening as well. The terminals throughout the campaign also unlock videos on Halo Waypoint that give some much needed Forerunner backstory. The graphics have gone miles since the awful graphics of the past games. Animations are greatly improved. The missions are a great mix of that world-discovery from Halo: CE where you are just in awe of what you see, and fast paced combat scenarios with multiple possible solutions and not just your classic run-and-gun boredom. The multiplayer is great. The inclusion of custom loadouts was very smooth, and not like CoD (what I feared). The loadout weapons/abilities are all very balanced, as are vehicles (except the Mantes). Certain asymmetrical maps have balance issues if played with symmetrical gametypes (duh, except Matchmaking hosts those all the time). The only real problem is the highly overpowering Mantes (singular is Mantis). They can take out any vehicle, survive multiple hits from power weapons, and kill foot soldiers from nearly any range. Also, the Oddball game is awesome. You can now toss the ball strategically (to occupy enemies so they cannot use their guns, or to hand it over to teammates so you can fight off the enemies). Halo 4 is the Halo that Halo fans have been dying for, while appealing to all shooter fans. Expand
  22. Nov 9, 2012
    now I do not want to go into to much detail (wanna get back to playing) but what I will say is that Halo 4 is a great new step in the franchise, it has crisp clean graphics, amazing game play, a host of different weapons, and so much multiplayer content that you will be busy for the next year. If you are on the edge of buying this, if you like a great singleplayer with a new timenow I do not want to go into to much detail (wanna get back to playing) but what I will say is that Halo 4 is a great new step in the franchise, it has crisp clean graphics, amazing game play, a host of different weapons, and so much multiplayer content that you will be busy for the next year. If you are on the edge of buying this, if you like a great singleplayer with a new time destroying multiplayer go buy it you will not regret it. Expand
  23. Nov 18, 2012
    I'll start off by saying that for Halo, the multiplayer is the focus and the campaign is a nice addition. That said, I was pumped for Halo 4 and even pre-ordered it, which is the first time I have ever pre-ordered a game in my life. I got it and immediately went to playing multiplayer for a few days straight and all I can say is... I'm mixed.

There's a lot of good in it, but playing it

There's a lot of good in it, but playing it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It's honestly like I'm playing another game reskinned with a Halo theme and Halo weapons thrown in. At first it was fun to customize load-outs and rank up, but it quickly became frustrating and obviously a sign of game imbalance and a direct shift away from encouraging skill to who has the best weapon. Not only that, but the weapons are frustratingly imbalanced - at the moment it seems like DMR > all, except for power weapons. The "ordnance drop" system is frustratingly terrible - often giving you useless, close combat weapons in an open range map or vice-versa. I honestly prefer the area control of weapon spawns of the older Halo games.

And don't get me started on the abilities. The one allows you to PICK UP GRENADES to resupply your used grenades. Seriously? Why can't my Spartan pick up grenades on the ground without having a perk that lets him do it? Ridiculous. Promethean vision seems to alter the game in a bad way that departs from the Halo feel...

Pacing also ruins me. I'm especially used to the pacing of Reach, but even though I'm more than willing to go to Halo 2 or 3's pacing, Halo 4 just seems way too fast. The instant respawn no doubt helps this, and the kill time does as well. It seems like everyone is constantly dying and respawning. There is little way to kill a group because of kill time. Shots seem way too accurate (DMR, specifically). It comes down to whoever starts shooting first anymore, rather than real skill.

The maps? Mediocre to poor. Valhalla seems to be the best, and even then it's rather shoddy. They're all easily forgotten, and lack all of the epic feel that some of the past Halo maps had. This is especially true for Big Team Slayer with the feel of a "huge map" completely gone, and even the bigger maps are crossed almost instantly by just running straight across them in seemingly seconds.

Spartan Ops - what were they thinking? The premise for it is great. Continuing, episodic story-driven maps. Sounds fun, but it's not at all. It's probably the most bland multiplayer experience I've had in a game in a really long time. There's no thought put into them, they're thrown together and completely a mess. It's more or less a watered-down, poor story-driven variant of Firefight that completely fails to even compete. I didn't even care that much for Firefight honestly, and can't believe how much less I enjoy this gametype.

I'm really disappointed, ultimately. I had really high hopes for this game and for 343, and I tried to force myself to love it like the past games, but I just come away with bitterness and mixed feelings. I'll leave it to others to review the campaign, as it's secondary to me, but the multiplayer is the lasting aspect of the Halo games that this particular installment is sadly lacking.
  24. Nov 6, 2012
    I'm completely stunned that this game is getting suck poor user reviews. I just finished the campaign, and I looked back on my entire Halo experience, thinking about how lucky I have been to play this series. Halo 4 is amazing. The multiplayer is fun. you've got tons of Spartan Ops to look forward to, the graphics are stunning, the music is passionate, and the overall story is aI'm completely stunned that this game is getting suck poor user reviews. I just finished the campaign, and I looked back on my entire Halo experience, thinking about how lucky I have been to play this series. Halo 4 is amazing. The multiplayer is fun. you've got tons of Spartan Ops to look forward to, the graphics are stunning, the music is passionate, and the overall story is a heartbreaking tale of a man and his AI. 343, well done. Expand
  25. Nov 6, 2012
    FIRST off, you can obviously tell that jealous trolls who dont own an xbox have given intentional low scores to bring down the overall meta score. But for anyone truly interested in checking this game out,take it from me, ive been playing halo since it first came out (mainly a campaign player) and am glad to say this rocks. It is STILL a fps,so inspite of what the naysayers may complainFIRST off, you can obviously tell that jealous trolls who dont own an xbox have given intentional low scores to bring down the overall meta score. But for anyone truly interested in checking this game out,take it from me, ive been playing halo since it first came out (mainly a campaign player) and am glad to say this rocks. It is STILL a fps,so inspite of what the naysayers may complain about (not enough ironsights, same gameplay, etc) this is halo for the new generation. Yes, the campaign may be a tad on the short side, but not cod short if u know what i mean. If you are sick and tired off shooters then this game may not not change you, but to write this game off with 0's etc, maybe you guys are not enjoying games anymore and its time to find a new hobby. Expand
  26. Nov 6, 2012
    I was not fully convinced, perhaps an integration with kinect would have given the series that something new and appealing, perhaps influenced a little of the time it begins to be felt, however, remains a masterpiece.
  27. Nov 6, 2012
    If you played Halo Reach, you knew how the changes in the game hurt the overall prestige of the game. Bungie went out of the Halo 2/Halo 3 comfort zone and produced a game many people did not like including myself. Halo 4 has gone a direction that I like with the multiplayer not being like Reach, but feeling on par with Halo 2 to Halo 3 again. The AA are not overpowered and balance eachIf you played Halo Reach, you knew how the changes in the game hurt the overall prestige of the game. Bungie went out of the Halo 2/Halo 3 comfort zone and produced a game many people did not like including myself. Halo 4 has gone a direction that I like with the multiplayer not being like Reach, but feeling on par with Halo 2 to Halo 3 again. The AA are not overpowered and balance each other. The game is beautiful visually. The campaign is good, better than Reach's and I like the emotional story involved, though we all wish it was longer, Spartan Ops is the add-on extending the campaign experience. Seriously, people giving this game a 1 or a 2 are truly not playing Halo like they should. This game is a must buy for Halo fans and people who like Halo 2 and Halo 3. Expand
  28. Nov 10, 2012
    Deep emerging campaign, gorgeous looking. Brilliantly continues the Halo story.

Multiplayer is great too. Won't get this out the disc tray for a while.
  29. Nov 10, 2012
    I had fun playing this game but it is nothing amazing. It's Halo, a fun shooter with nice looking environments and flashy colourful explosions but it's also slow and monotonous at times. If you're expecting something completely different you're going to be disappointed, it's the same old game really but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fun with friends and an online multiplayer withI had fun playing this game but it is nothing amazing. It's Halo, a fun shooter with nice looking environments and flashy colourful explosions but it's also slow and monotonous at times. If you're expecting something completely different you're going to be disappointed, it's the same old game really but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fun with friends and an online multiplayer with multiple game modes make this playable after the campaign is finished. If you didn't like the original games then this won't entice you in and older fans should find some entertainment from it. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2012
    Don't listen to the little crybabies. This game is absolutely AMAZING. 343 has done what Bungie never managed to do! Awesome graphics mixed with perfect audio and FINALLY the BEST acting ever seen in a Halo game. Just WOW. For the first time I found myself emotionally invested in a Halo title. To be frank though, I am not done with the title. I am on mission 6 on Legendary difficulty. ItDon't listen to the little crybabies. This game is absolutely AMAZING. 343 has done what Bungie never managed to do! Awesome graphics mixed with perfect audio and FINALLY the BEST acting ever seen in a Halo game. Just WOW. For the first time I found myself emotionally invested in a Halo title. To be frank though, I am not done with the title. I am on mission 6 on Legendary difficulty. It has proven challenging and fun to overcome hard fights so far. Every encounter has a way to be dealt with and level design is flawless.

The online revamp is a welcomed change. And I don't see how it was made easier for noobs to be good as I read in some other reviews. If you have skills, then you will win and no noob is going to come close to you. Just some sore loser's excuse. YES It took me a few games to adapt to the changes they made to the game since it plays a bit differently from other Halo titles BUT it was all worth it and I think ANYONE who likes shooters/sci-fi/action/Drama/online play/competitive play/Halo should get this game and come join us online!!! Amazing accomplishment.

1. Dec 17, 2012