Halo 4 Xbox 360

7.0

1. Nov 6, 2012
    Been playing every Halo since Halo 2 and Halo 4 does not disappoint , there are some patches needed for some minor bugs but every game has those , I do believe the grenades may be a little too powerful , this was also the case in the Halo Reach Beta if anyone remembers that . Anyways great graphics and great audio , sounds great on surround sound system. Level design is not boring , notBeen playing every Halo since Halo 2 and Halo 4 does not disappoint , there are some patches needed for some minor bugs but every game has those , I do believe the grenades may be a little too powerful , this was also the case in the Halo Reach Beta if anyone remembers that . Anyways great graphics and great audio , sounds great on surround sound system. Level design is not boring , not sure what some people are smoking , I think gamers these days come to expect WAY TOO much from developers , This game mixes some of the best parts of COD , the pace of the game is a little faster kinda like COD and really gives you a complete experience , and you're actually wanting to level up to get more guns , items , and abilities vs the past halo games where your rank didn't actually mean anything but bragging rights . Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Halo 4 is without a doubt one of the best looking console games to date. It somehow manages to at certain points look like it's running on a next-gen console. Another very impressive part of the game is the sound. Not enough reviews mention this but the sound is just incredible. (it probably sounds even better on a sound system, I currently don't have one but was still able to notice theHalo 4 is without a doubt one of the best looking console games to date. It somehow manages to at certain points look like it's running on a next-gen console. Another very impressive part of the game is the sound. Not enough reviews mention this but the sound is just incredible. (it probably sounds even better on a sound system, I currently don't have one but was still able to notice the vast improvement) Great story, solid voice acting and something about the new weapons is so freakin' cool! I've really enjoyed multiplayer so far. The only drawback is not much else has changed. It's the same basic Halo-style levels we've all come to expect. It's not really a bad thing but some people may complain there's nothing new. I was really impressed with the job 343 Studios did with Halo Anniversary and Halo 4 proves they have what it takes to make their own amazing Halo game. I hope Halo 5 & 6 maintain the same calibur when they eventually make their way out. Expand
  3. Nov 15, 2012
    It' been a while since I actually played a video game that got me stuck to my seat. Halo 4 has everything that a game needs to work. Outstanding graphics and cinematic, a fitting soundtrack and a solid story with strong emotion as a bonus. Sure, the story is short at around 7 - 8 hours of playtime on the hardest setting but what the game offers in game play and story definitely makes upIt' been a while since I actually played a video game that got me stuck to my seat. Halo 4 has everything that a game needs to work. Outstanding graphics and cinematic, a fitting soundtrack and a solid story with strong emotion as a bonus. Sure, the story is short at around 7 - 8 hours of playtime on the hardest setting but what the game offers in game play and story definitely makes up for this. 343 industries are certainly a worthy successor to the great Bungie and I am certainly excited about what is to come from this company.
    I do however feel that this game does focus way too strongly on the online multiplayer feature but today, that's a given with any game of this genre. I would have liked the story to be longer but for what we are given, it is definitely a worthy sequel.
  4. Nov 7, 2012
    Visually it is honestly up there with the best FPS games of this console generation. Game play is a big step up from previous entries with the variety of load out options you can have and also the combat itself is impressive. The sound of the game is probably the best of any Halo game. The guns sound and feel more realistic, the vehicles too. And whoever did the soundtrack for this gameVisually it is honestly up there with the best FPS games of this console generation. Game play is a big step up from previous entries with the variety of load out options you can have and also the combat itself is impressive. The sound of the game is probably the best of any Halo game. The guns sound and feel more realistic, the vehicles too. And whoever did the soundtrack for this game (pretty sure it wasn't old Marty McDonnell) did a great job.

For those users giving it anything below a 6 or 7 take the game for what it is. This is Halo, this isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield like so many of you have been posting so rate it for being a halo game not a COD or Battlefield clone.

For anyone complaining it's not Dishonored or Assassin's Creed III .... this isn't that type of game so they aren't comparable. This is an FPS so enough of those comparisons that's childish and pathetic that you would try to compare the two. Be a bit smarter about it. Also if you complain about the length ..... what FPS has ever had a lengthy campaign like Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed? None.

If you want an FPS and enjoy Halo you should love this, and if you want a different type of stealthy / third person game go buy Assassin's Creed III it really is an amazing game in and of itself. I'm tired of people trashing this game and giving it 0's. There 's a reason HALO is a giant franchise that almost any developer would chomp at the bit to work with, because they are solid games and this one is no exception. Halo 4 is the best entry to date and take the story for what it is ... a sci-fi story that you either like or hate and personally I find the continual story (minus the cluster of Halo 2) quite entertaining. A solid game overall and well worth the money.
  5. Dec 2, 2012
    Ignoring all the people who didn't even give this game a chance, this game is incredible. Best campaign since Combat Evolved, it really had me invested and the ending was both brilliant and saddening at the same time. The graphics are absolutely stellar, one of the best looking games I've ever played on Xbox 360. the multiplayer is great as always, and 343 has finally integrated a rankingIgnoring all the people who didn't even give this game a chance, this game is incredible. Best campaign since Combat Evolved, it really had me invested and the ending was both brilliant and saddening at the same time. The graphics are absolutely stellar, one of the best looking games I've ever played on Xbox 360. the multiplayer is great as always, and 343 has finally integrated a ranking system that makes a lot more since than the previous Halos. The only thing that brought the game down in my opinion was the short length of the campaign (which almost has to be forgiven, since the campaign is amazing) and the new Spartan Ops integration falls flat. It's not nearly as replayable as Firefight, and is just kind of boring. Overall incredible game, don't let the negative reviews sway you in any way, the ignorance of people on this site should be looked down upon, this game is amazing and soiling it with scores of one and zero are just idiotic and juvenile. Play this game, I promise you won't regret it. Expand
  6. Nov 24, 2012
    Personally I thought Halo would die with Bungie, after a not-so-good remake of the first game by the hand of 343 I doubted the potential that this game would have, but I am happy to say, I was completely wrong. The first thing that stands out when you play Halo 4 are the visuals, this is by far the best looking game for the 360, it can even compete with PC graphics to a certain point sincePersonally I thought Halo would die with Bungie, after a not-so-good remake of the first game by the hand of 343 I doubted the potential that this game would have, but I am happy to say, I was completely wrong. The first thing that stands out when you play Halo 4 are the visuals, this is by far the best looking game for the 360, it can even compete with PC graphics to a certain point since the level of detail is amazing. The first thing I covered was the campaign, it was entertaining with a story now focused on Cortana and the forrunner awakening instead of Chief and the Halo rings. Prometheans stand out as the new enemies with some new challenges and badass weapons. Overall the campaign was great but it was a little short with only eight missions. However the next part makes up for it. Multiplayer is the star of this franchise since Halo 2, and it does not disappoint. There are various multiplayer modes, both old and new, which have excellent, faster, and more aggressive combat. Load-outs can now be created and selected and there are now powerful weapon drops, or ordinances, that are rewarded with kill streaks. One new vehicle has been added called the Mantis, which is a mech that is balanced enough to be badass yet destroyable. There are some great maps present such as the remake of Halo 3's Valhalla called Ragnarok, which is amazing. Also, there are now more than a single map for forge, and since most of the big team maps are massive there are good spots to be creative. The other multiplayer mode apart from the competitive modes is Spartan Ops. This mode is basically co-op missions with a unique story and with new episodes being released with time, the only problem I have with spartan ops is that with a few players I've had a great delay, making the game unplayable. Again, forge is better than ever, with some awesome maps, great new tools, and new options promoting creativity. This game has so much that I assure it will be completely worth whatever price it is where you live, 343 has done an amazing job and created one of my game of the year candidates. Expand
  7. Aug 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge Halo fan and read all the books, collect everything, etc. As much as I want to give this a score of 10/10 I'm afraid Halo 1 is the only one that lives up to that but this comes close. I don't know why there is a lot of hate on this game as they finally gave me the same feeling i had in 2001 when i first landed on Halo and experienced seeing the ring and the vast ocean of the planet. When you land on the Forunner world it gives you that same feeling and it's breathtaking. The game mechanics felt more in line iwth Halo 2 which is fine because in my opinion that was the best of the Halo series game mechanics. The action is fast and there is such a wide range a variety in weapons and enemies. The new forunner enemies are a lot of fun and the forunner guns are a blast. The scattershot makes the shotgun not as cool compared to it. The multiplayer is fantastic, you still get the armor abilities that reach game but to an imporvement. To be honest i am not a fan of armor abilites and enjoy the weapon control of the previous Halo's but what can you do.... Anyways the multiplayer is the funnest i have experienced since 2, it's fast pace again and not as slow as 3 and Reach.

What i disliked most about the game was the ending (SPOILERS) boss that was hyped up for several books and even in the Halo waypoint videos just dies in a manner that makes the player feel disengaged on the last mission because you actually don't do anyhting to fight him except a few QTE Really 343...?
    Also the Spartan Ops is weak and Firefight would have been a better choice unless the random missions could actually be made with the same quality of the campaign.
  8. Feb 13, 2013
    Halo 4's campaign is right up there with the Combat Evolved campaign in terms of greatness. Spartan Ops is a fun new co-op mode that has only gotten better as time went on. Multiplayer introduces fresh new features to the Halo experience and will only get better and more polished.

Overall, amazing game that is deserving of the hype. Haters gonna hate.
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    Classic Halo game. Shooting and aiming is well balanced and I really enjoyed the story, but it did get a bit long in the tooth near the end. Maybe I was just getting tired and wanted to finish. LOL
  10. Apr 16, 2013
    I was never a die-hard Halo fan. I came onto the Halo scene a year or two after it was originally released and respected how technically sound it was. As the later installments came out I never bought into the story or characters and I never thought they were the best looking games at the times of their release (due to art style). I would go to LAN parties with friends and have a greatI was never a die-hard Halo fan. I came onto the Halo scene a year or two after it was originally released and respected how technically sound it was. As the later installments came out I never bought into the story or characters and I never thought they were the best looking games at the times of their release (due to art style). I would go to LAN parties with friends and have a great time playing with them, but outside of that, I rarely would touch those old Halos. That is until Halo 4. Halo 4 was a "changing of the guard" from the other installments, and in my opinion, for the better. More effort was put into giving the characters more depth through cinematic sequences and dialogue. I found this to be a great improvement over previous installments. The graphic level of Halo 4 actually met my standards for being one of the best looking games released at its time. The sound is also top notch, and the guns feel more powerful than ever thanks to the amped up sounds. The AI is smart and provides a challenge and the level designs provide decent variety in play-style. Multi-player runs smooth and the nasty "host powers" that plague these P2P games is marginalized well. I also enjoyed the new control schemes ,as I always preferred the COD style scheme with my play-style, and the customization/load-out options. There is a good balance between feeling that you have a unique character and having any load-out be viable. The new game mode, Spartan-ops is a decent addition however, like the game itself, the story is still pretty ho-hum. Now I haven't read any of the books for the added lore, but I don't believe I should have to in order to enjoy the stories of the games. This is an area that still could use some improvement. Overall, this is an excellent, high-production value game, and one of the best games on the Xbox 360. VERDICT: Must buy! You'll get you're bang for your buck quite easily with this game. Expand
  11. Nov 17, 2012
    Halo is back. The multiplayer is fantastic that is welcoming after that awful taste that Reach left. everything feels super balanced, the new class set up does not mess up halo. The only complaints I have for multiplayer are the armor abilities are back and perks. The single player wasn't there best or there worst, but is still entertaining. Spartan ops is uninteresting and I will mostHalo is back. The multiplayer is fantastic that is welcoming after that awful taste that Reach left. everything feels super balanced, the new class set up does not mess up halo. The only complaints I have for multiplayer are the armor abilities are back and perks. The single player wasn't there best or there worst, but is still entertaining. Spartan ops is uninteresting and I will most likely not play anymore of it. Wish they brought in firefight, the ODST one, not the reach one. Expand
  12. Nov 6, 2012
    I'm not sure what game some people are playing but it doesn't seem like it's Halo 4. Somebody said they can aim with the left bumper, I still have to click the right stick. And comparing this with MW3 is like comparing Cristiano Ronaldo with Bob McDonald from our Sunday league team. The single player is classic Halo with a few extras thrown in and much better graphics. The MP is excellentI'm not sure what game some people are playing but it doesn't seem like it's Halo 4. Somebody said they can aim with the left bumper, I still have to click the right stick. And comparing this with MW3 is like comparing Cristiano Ronaldo with Bob McDonald from our Sunday league team. The single player is classic Halo with a few extras thrown in and much better graphics. The MP is excellent and 343 have added loadouts and weapon drops but they fit the Halo profile perfectly and add a bit extra to the game. I love the 6 or so hours I've played so far and I think it's going to sit in my drive for a few months to come. Expand
  13. May 8, 2014
    I don't know why this game got an overall average of 87. This game is what Halo: Reach SHOULD HAVE BEEN. But nooooo... Instead, we got another serving of what Bungie thought was good which really gave us another short-changed game. Speaking of, I wonder how Destiny is going to be. If it's made by Bungie I have a feeling it's only going to be focused on online multiplayer with no effort onI don't know why this game got an overall average of 87. This game is what Halo: Reach SHOULD HAVE BEEN. But nooooo... Instead, we got another serving of what Bungie thought was good which really gave us another short-changed game. Speaking of, I wonder how Destiny is going to be. If it's made by Bungie I have a feeling it's only going to be focused on online multiplayer with no effort on story or character. Anyway...

This is the Halo game I've been wanting to see: a Halo with story. Ever since I read the first Halo book, "Fall of Reach," I was deeply impressed with the vast, detailed history and universe that is Halo and it really upset me how Bungie didn't care to elaborate or tie in any of it during Halo 3 or Reach. I loved the refocus on the Master Chief, the original main character of the series. He actually has a vast dialogue this time (unlike 3)! I was taken away immediately with the fist opening cutscene; very impressive and on par with or better than the cutscenes from Halo Wars. I know, I'm one of those rare gamers who believes in story, plot, and character development.

For the campaign, I was very pleased. Great variety of level design and elements, much better than Reach's levels. I thought taking control of the Pelican and fighter jet were very welcomed and were a nice change from the typical FPS role. I know I've been going on and on about the story, but 4's story just didn't sit well with me. It was alright, I liked how it was executed, but I didn't get WHAT the story was about. I didn't care for the Didact, he really seemed like a hollow villain since he and the Master Chief had little interaction. I thought it was silly how there were times where the Didact would be rattling off all this mystical jargon and the Master Chief wouldn't even say anything. To me, he might as well have been thinking, "Uh huh..." cause I had no idea what the Didact was talking about. Plus, everything about the Prometheans and the Librarian seemed confusing for me to follow. Shoot, maybe I need to play through the campaign again...

Online multiplayer is still great; all that frenzied team play or free for all that is Halo. The different armor pieces are still there, even though they don't do anything just like Reach. I loved the "perks" or loadouts that you can customize; way more options versus Reach which allows you to tailor your own loadouts for any given situation or game mode. The search engine seems more refined as well, and it's nice there's a vote for three options.

Spartan Ops is fun, loved the cutscenes that came with it and the story. Although, I wonder what's to come in the future. To be continued in Halo 5? I would have liked to see Firefight though, but a Firefight more true to Halo 3: ODST (hated Reach's version).

Overall, I give this game a 9 and not a 10 because: it's still Halo. We know what it is and how it works. But a 9 because of how brilliant the story execution was, the graphics, the gameplay, the options... Need I go on? Again, this is what Reach should have been. This is a great display of what the Halo universe has to offer. Great job 343! Here's to hoping Halo 5 will be just as great if not better. And to hoping it will be available for 360 too, heheh.
  14. Nov 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 343 Industries did an amazing job with Halo 4. I was quite intrigued by the campaign story line, which I felt was just as good as the original Halo, if not better. It's graphics and cinematics are stunning! Although, I'm a little divided on the multiplayer design, especially when playing online. It doesn't quite fit in compared with other Halo releases. I don't like the new ranking system, and the need to purchase abilities such as Jetpack and Hologram. I was also very disappointed they killed off Cortana in the campaign, although I somewhat feel this is part of a twist, moving the story into Halo 5. Overall, such an awesome game. Expand
  15. Nov 11, 2012
    Everyone who wrote a bad review **** them) clearly got reach instead of halo 4 or is a butthurt sony fanboy. First off this game is ****ing amazing, The campaign was awesome and the graphics are stunning, the multiplayer was flawless. This is the future of Halo and the future of Halo is great.
  16. Nov 6, 2012
    well, looks like all CoD and BF3 fanboys have joined at a bigger threat than Call of Duty and Battlefield will never be able to defeat. Halo 4 goes back to basics and takes a new route, it's good. Worth buying
  17. Nov 7, 2012
    A great game, don't let anyone tell you differently. Sound design and visuals are astounding by Xbox standards(and in general), and the voice acting is top notch as well. The story is intuitive, however the ending left me wondering where they go from here, and some things are not cleared up, simply stated and never returned to. Gameplay is your standard halo fare; use a variety of guns andA great game, don't let anyone tell you differently. Sound design and visuals are astounding by Xbox standards(and in general), and the voice acting is top notch as well. The story is intuitive, however the ending left me wondering where they go from here, and some things are not cleared up, simply stated and never returned to. Gameplay is your standard halo fare; use a variety of guns and tactics to defeat varied enemies each employing different tactics (the new Prometheans are especially note worthy). One of the things I did not like was the fact that the game just felt...easy. Maybe this was because I am a Halo vet, but most of my deaths on solo Heroic (and co-op Legendary, I'll get to Solo Legendary in the future) were due to 1 hit kill weapons (launchers, swords). As well, by the end the variety in the enemies died down too much for my liking, and i think the game would have benefited from the addition of a new faction of foes on top of the Covenant and the Prometheans, since that's all you fight. Also, a few nit picks: more Hunter fights where you are not given hordes of explosives to make them the least bit challenging, improved death animations for Phantoms and Liches (the explosion is so small you can see the pieces dissapear into thin air, something that IMO looks ugly and unpolished), and more missions with more enemies since by the end it devolves into simple firefights from place to place, whereas early sections showed really fun levels. As for Multiplayer, it is fantastic, all that any Halo fan would want from a new developer: a fresh take on the game we know and love. I do wish the game library were more populated, considering that games like Halo 3 and Halo 2 had so many game variants, this one feels a bit lacking. As well, the new Spartan Ops missions are great if a little too short. The quantity is great, but the quality suffers as a result. Hoping for better missions in the future. All in all, it is a great game that shows something promising for the genre: people who care about a campaign, although there is still some work for the Halo series to re-achieve the greatness of the Halo CE and Halo 2 days when campaign was the biggest reason for getting a game. I expect great things from 343i. Expand
  18. Nov 28, 2012
    This game is just amazing ! Both Campaign and Multiplayer are better than ever before:) The story is more interesting and suprising while the storytelling is much better,too. It is more emotional than any halo game before! A lot of people complained that the campaign was short, but it's 7 hours long which is okay. Considering Spartan Ops (a new mode) is a co-op camaign with a differentThis game is just amazing ! Both Campaign and Multiplayer are better than ever before:) The story is more interesting and suprising while the storytelling is much better,too. It is more emotional than any halo game before! A lot of people complained that the campaign was short, but it's 7 hours long which is okay. Considering Spartan Ops (a new mode) is a co-op camaign with a different Story, there is still enough Content for solo/splitscreen co-op fans. The good thing about Spartan Ops is, that the levels are designed for co-op, but the story and presentation is rather flat compared to the campaign mode. It should be mentioned that the game is a lot faster than previous Halo games, not only because of the ability to sprint without picking it as an armor ability. The Spartans are faster, jump higher and feel more like supersoldiers. There is no fall damage , which is great and the health bar is nearly gone, you can take a few hits after the shields are down and that's it. There are a lot more armor abilities like the ability to see threw walls (for a limited time only) and all of them feel balanced. In Multiplayer, you can unlock and choose different armor abilities in addition to the new perks and the new "kill streaks" (It's different than killstreaks thought, you get rewarded after earing a certain amount of points in a match) let you choose between weapons and things like a supershield or a speed boost. These additions are fun and rewarding, but are not as unbalanced as in cod. They are powerful, but not too powerful ;) Oh and there are some multiplayer modes missing, but those who are there are more fun than ever before. Infection has been replaced with the genious flood mode, CTF has been improved there are a few other new modes... I liked all modes and that is a huge achievement ! Oh I forgot to mention it, there are a bunch of new weapons that are great ! However, there are a few flaws... There could have been more multiplayer modes, I personally miss the Headhunter mode and the firefight mode from Reach and the second flaw is that splitcreen doesn't feauter widescreen. Dual-Wielding is missing,too (except for CTF). It is a masterpiece and all in all it is the best Halo game yet, but there are a few things, that other Halo games did better. Expand
  19. Jan 19, 2013
    I was hoping this would be my GOTY 2012 but just a few games were a little better. Okay this may not be the best Halo, but 343 you have didn't let this game crash and burn, you are pushing the series to the next generation of Halos. Campaigns really good but is not as gripping as other Halo campaigns and got a bit too serious on the story. But its their first Halo so they will learn likeI was hoping this would be my GOTY 2012 but just a few games were a little better. Okay this may not be the best Halo, but 343 you have didn't let this game crash and burn, you are pushing the series to the next generation of Halos. Campaigns really good but is not as gripping as other Halo campaigns and got a bit too serious on the story. But its their first Halo so they will learn like Bungie did. Multiplayer is a bit of a copy of CoD, but probally the biggest pushes to the multiplayer since Halo 2 and love custom loadouts idea. Spartan Ops is a great new feature and a nice change to firefight. Overall Campaign really good but 2 issus stop it from becoming like Halo campaign good. Multiplayer is amazing step to the multiplayer for a very exiting future for Halo. Spartan Ops is great change to Firefight. Halo may not be GOTY for me but its in my top 3 games this year. Halo 4 9.0/10 Expand
  20. Nov 17, 2012
    Great game as any of the other halos. If you are a fan of the franchise you won't be disappointed. Campaign is a bit short but Spartan ops compensates. I won't recommend for people who never played any of the games before specially Halo3. Many of the plots and Cortana story in special would be confusing for newbies. I recommend watching machinima forward unto dawn before playing as well.Great game as any of the other halos. If you are a fan of the franchise you won't be disappointed. Campaign is a bit short but Spartan ops compensates. I won't recommend for people who never played any of the games before specially Halo3. Many of the plots and Cortana story in special would be confusing for newbies. I recommend watching machinima forward unto dawn before playing as well. As for the gfx and audio its just beautiful. IMO its the best looking game in the market atm plus they really nailed it with awesome new audio effects and soundtrack. Expand
  21. Nov 7, 2012
    To make it clear - Before all the trolls got on here to ruin its score, Halo 4 was on a user score of 8; So that's the actual rating, not the bastardised one that's on here now. Diablo didn't deserve to be slated like that and neither does Halo 4 - It's a very good game wether you like the changes or not. The biggest improvement over the other games for me is the inclusion ofTo make it clear - Before all the trolls got on here to ruin its score, Halo 4 was on a user score of 8; So that's the actual rating, not the bastardised one that's on here now. Diablo didn't deserve to be slated like that and neither does Halo 4 - It's a very good game wether you like the changes or not. The biggest improvement over the other games for me is the inclusion of sprinting for everyone - I can't believe it wasn't included in the first place. The random weapon locations and ordinance drops help to spice-up the multiplayer and only an idiot would complain about load-outs.

Graphics: 9 (In terms of technical achievement, it's a 10 but the Cov look a little cartoonish)
    Sound: 10
    Gameplay: 9
    Multiplayer: 10
    Story: (Going to leave out as haven't finished the single player)

Basically: If you play games for the same reason I do (because they PLAY well and they're fun) then it's a great game, very slick, well put-together and playable.
  22. Nov 16, 2012
    Halo 4 has given back something to me, that has been lost with Halo Reach. When I think of Halo, I think of a whole package - Competitive multiplayer, an interesting Campaign, and something innovative.

The Campaign was about an 8/10. It took a different approach to the regular storytelling that Halo is known for, and generally performed pretty well. But I would have enjoyed a longer campaign, along with a few extra things that I don't want to spoil.

The multiplayer I give an 8/10. 343 Did really great to reverse some of the Reach damage. It took out bloom, brought back the BR, and also gives us some pretty nice default maps. From a casual standpoint, I have a load of fun in BTB with ordnance drops and my friends. From a competitive standpoint, I really enjoy a few of the maps on Pro, but it loses points due to no default "real" competitive playlist, and no trueskill system.

Now with innovation, they really hit the mark with Spartan Ops. I am not a huge fan of it personally, but it really is a great step forward to combine all elements of the game into one. Verdict: A really great game, highly recommended for veterans of the franchise, and newcomers alike.

Highest Pro: The multiplayer is much more refined and higher quality this title.
    Highest Con: Lack of depth in the multiplayer matches, tied with a short campaign.
  23. Nov 6, 2012
    This is truly a great game, the other reviews somehow are saying it has pro but are still giving it bad reviews. Sure it has cons, but I feel the graphics and just overall fun make up for this. Oh and probably half the people who are rating are COD fans.
  24. Nov 6, 2012
    This game is absolutely stunning visually. There are simply no game that compares by far. This is mainly due to the light engine and the amazing artwork. Campaign and story is great, by far the best in the Halo series. Multiplayer is "ok", even though i think they are adapting too many CoD "gimmicks", but by taking into account that they are implementing the ranking system from Halo 3This game is absolutely stunning visually. There are simply no game that compares by far. This is mainly due to the light engine and the amazing artwork. Campaign and story is great, by far the best in the Halo series. Multiplayer is "ok", even though i think they are adapting too many CoD "gimmicks", but by taking into account that they are implementing the ranking system from Halo 3 (which reach lacked) i am very positive about the future of Halo 4. All in all an amazing game worthy of the Halo name. Expand
  25. Nov 11, 2012
    Really good game. Looks awesome, plays well. Campaign is a fun experience with a good story. I played it on legendary so it wasn't too short for me, but if you run through it on an easier difficulty then it might not seem very long. Multiplayer is very good. It takes several elements from modern FPS's such as CoD, but manages to keep it fairly balanced. Gameplay in general still feels alotReally good game. Looks awesome, plays well. Campaign is a fun experience with a good story. I played it on legendary so it wasn't too short for me, but if you run through it on an easier difficulty then it might not seem very long. Multiplayer is very good. It takes several elements from modern FPS's such as CoD, but manages to keep it fairly balanced. Gameplay in general still feels alot more like "Halo" than reach ever did. A major con that stood out to me was lack of options in custom games, and no custom audio options, but hopefully 343 can sort that out. Also, all of you people giving this game a 0 are idiots. As long as a game runs, it doesn't deserve a zero. 10 also seems a bit far fetched. Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2012
    Halo 4 is very good. I have been a fan of the series since Halo 2 for the X-box and have seen it go through quite a few iterations. If you are a hardcore Halo 3 fan, then this game might seem tantamount to sacrilege. Let me just say: This is not halo 3, I'm sorry they ruined your game, now stop giving 0 star reviews and throwing off the curve. I also advise you to read no further and justHalo 4 is very good. I have been a fan of the series since Halo 2 for the X-box and have seen it go through quite a few iterations. If you are a hardcore Halo 3 fan, then this game might seem tantamount to sacrilege. Let me just say: This is not halo 3, I'm sorry they ruined your game, now stop giving 0 star reviews and throwing off the curve. I also advise you to read no further and just go back to playing Halo 3 with the rest of the 400 people in south America who still hold it dear. For the rest of us who don't mind (or at least are aware of the fact) that games change as time moves forwards, Here you go. I compare this game to Halo: Reach which I loved and consider it a benchmark for the series, this game is different, much more oriented for a faster paced (hate to say it) call of duty indoctrinated audience.
    Sprint is a standard feature ( unlike reach where it was one option out of several abilities ) Guns are unlocked as the player progresses through ranks. Points are awarded per rank, which the player in turn uses to "buy" guns, armor additions, perks and upgrades. This system is not too dissimilar to call of duty admittedly, but that doesn't take away from the satisfaction of saving up points for a special unlock. It is rewarding and gives the player something to work towards. Honestly, I am having a blast playing this game. The visuals are stunning, the new player models are slick and the skins have been tweaked to represent a newer generation of Spartans. The single player is fun and engaging, and of course the brutal legendary difficulty setting is quite fierce to say the least. The multiplayer experience is deep with all the usual game types halo fans are accustomed to, and a deep co-op story which runs parallel to the main campaign and releases new 5 chapter episodes every week or so. This feature not only gives you new content o explore, but can further progress the story and lore in episodic installments. 343 took on a huge task when they took the reigns to the Halo franchise. I think they did it splendidly. Don't be a hater, give Halo 4 a try.
  27. Nov 13, 2012
    Overall it's a REALLY NICE GAME; however, it's not without its flaws. One being a lack of a classical mode (as I personally hate how everyone and their mothers can grab a heavy weapon), and the other the over-powered binary rifle (something they've believed to be fine if you can see the laser light from the weapon). Yet I'm surprised by the hatred being spewed by some saying it's based offOverall it's a REALLY NICE GAME; however, it's not without its flaws. One being a lack of a classical mode (as I personally hate how everyone and their mothers can grab a heavy weapon), and the other the over-powered binary rifle (something they've believed to be fine if you can see the laser light from the weapon). Yet I'm surprised by the hatred being spewed by some saying it's based off of "Modern Warfare". Do you actually believe each game is original? That they all start with new and innovative ideas? Games follow ideas from other successful games and no real game is original, so honestly, people need to calm down. The graphics are good, the gun audio is amazing, and the vehicles have a nice sound to them, Spartan ops adds more to a fairly short Campaign. Get this game, you will not be dissapointed Expand
  28. Dec 31, 2013
    A worthy entry into the acclaimed series, Halo 4 is an exciting and intense first-person shooter. The game offers little in the way of new enemies, its main drawback and appears to substitute the games expansive environments for spectacular visuals. The game runs very smoothly and the narrative is fantastic. O'Donnell's classic score and theme are missing and replaced with a moreA worthy entry into the acclaimed series, Halo 4 is an exciting and intense first-person shooter. The game offers little in the way of new enemies, its main drawback and appears to substitute the games expansive environments for spectacular visuals. The game runs very smoothly and the narrative is fantastic. O'Donnell's classic score and theme are missing and replaced with a more generic soundtrack. Expand
  29. Nov 6, 2012
    It may not be revolutionary, but what else can you do in a first person shooter? I work in the video game industry and, let me to you, developers are looking desperately for new ideas. People hate games for changing what isn't broken and for keeping things the same. You tell me, where would you begin to change things to satisfy both these desires? Halo Combat Evolved will always be theIt may not be revolutionary, but what else can you do in a first person shooter? I work in the video game industry and, let me to you, developers are looking desperately for new ideas. People hate games for changing what isn't broken and for keeping things the same. You tell me, where would you begin to change things to satisfy both these desires? Halo Combat Evolved will always be the best Halo because it felt fresh, among other things. I also think the AI, at least enemy AI, was the best in Combat Evolved in comparison to other Halos. Halo 4, however, is definitely worthy of the Halo title. Still, I am upset that firefight doesn't make a return. That's the only reason why I refuse to give this game a ten. Expand
  30. Nov 6, 2012
    Signed up to post this review, as I feel the user reviews here are not a true representation of the worth of this game.

The multiplayer is nothing short of a return to form - fast paced, competitive, adrenaline fuelled fun. A far cry from the painfully slow and boring gunplay of Reach, and easily as good as [if not better than] Halo 3. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this game's multiplayer is quite easily the best in the series since the golden era of Halo 2. The only thing that stopped me from giving it a ten is the fact that sprint as a default for all players has rended the game somewhat more chaotic. It has also had a negative effect on the maps, which are now designed to complement sprint, being generally much bigger. This could be a barrier to the titles true competitve worth, especially in the tourny scene. In summation, I am overjoyed to finally be playing some high quality halo multiplayer again, after the proverbial brainfart that was Reach.
  31. Nov 6, 2012
    Halo 4 comes to definitely be the GOTY 2012, great graphics, great gameplay and lots of fun and a multiplayer mode that borders on perfection, not to mention the campaign mode is excellent and featuring the return of Master Chief.
  32. Nov 7, 2012
    Halo 4 Multiplayer mixes the best elements of Call of Duty Modern Warfare with the best elements of Halo. These elements like loadout customization joinable online matches, and kill cams are just plain great. I got home from work popped the game in installed the multiplayer and then was able to hop right into a game with my brothers who were already playing a match. Granted someone had toHalo 4 Multiplayer mixes the best elements of Call of Duty Modern Warfare with the best elements of Halo. These elements like loadout customization joinable online matches, and kill cams are just plain great. I got home from work popped the game in installed the multiplayer and then was able to hop right into a game with my brothers who were already playing a match. Granted someone had to leave before i could join, but they did and I replaced them without having to sit there waiting for their match to be over because the teams were uneven. Weapons are generally more powerful allowing for more frequent deaths but that takes little away from the "Halo" experience it still takes a fair amount of skill to shoot someone in the face several times. Once I got used to the slightly modified (for sprinting) controls I was back in my element and the Halo universe has never looked or sounded better. Since all the weapons are more powerful even my Assault rifle loving friends were having a great time. Like all other halo games we had zero problems connecting and little lag in any of our numerous matches. Expand
  33. Apr 19, 2013
    I have all the halo games and this one is a bit different but still attach to the original game play, it has a lot CoD but i don't see that like a bad thing, for me this game is a 1 year online game to play.
  34. Nov 6, 2012
    This game was worth every penny. The greatest graphics i have seen, and a very fun campaign. My only complaint with the campaign was that the story was a little unclear, and it was sometimes not very apparent what the purpose of the current mission was. I think a lot of detailed content that was taken from books were over a lot of the players heads in game. The level design was very funThis game was worth every penny. The greatest graphics i have seen, and a very fun campaign. My only complaint with the campaign was that the story was a little unclear, and it was sometimes not very apparent what the purpose of the current mission was. I think a lot of detailed content that was taken from books were over a lot of the players heads in game. The level design was very fun and interesting, but it didnt have the EPIC feel that CE and 3 had. As for the multiplayer, I think they tried too much to take from COD. im sure 343 looked at the list of the biggest money makers and tried to move in that direction. Things that were unnecessary would be kill cams, gun camos and even maybe sprint. Im still on the fence. But, its not even 12 hours from the release.. so it is still too soon to really say. also, quickly, the stickies do basically nothing, are too small and never seem to hit the target. same for frags. and for the love of god, the SAW needs to be nerfed A$AP Expand
  35. Nov 6, 2012
    Beautiful scenery, great additions to the weapons, HUD, Multi-player, story line, even the menu layout is beautiful. master chief keeps his worldly renowned master chiefness. the new story is intriguing and fresh. Multi-player takes a bit to get used to but its well worth it.. i give the game a 9 and not a 10 only because there is no SWAT which they BETTER! fix and because i do not likeBeautiful scenery, great additions to the weapons, HUD, Multi-player, story line, even the menu layout is beautiful. master chief keeps his worldly renowned master chiefness. the new story is intriguing and fresh. Multi-player takes a bit to get used to but its well worth it.. i give the game a 9 and not a 10 only because there is no SWAT which they BETTER! fix and because i do not like how the controller is setup, if they could have at least made a extra choice for the layout where RB is sprint B is melee and L-Click is STILL crouch i would have no complaints other than that amazing game. Well done 343. Expand
  36. Nov 6, 2012
    Halo 4 is amazing!!!! Best graphics, sound, gameplay, action, and multiplayer in the series. The campaign is amazing and pulls you into the game. New worlds and beautiful environments make you want to play more! Forge, war games, campaign, and spartan ops allow hours and hours of fresh experiences and endless gameplay ! Congratulations to 343 Industries!
  37. Nov 7, 2012
    I have been playing Halo for years and have always enjoyed all aspects of Halo; story, multiplayer, forge, firefight, everything. Bungie may not be the one making Halo games anymore, but the franchise is in good hands. This game really feels like a Halo game but its visuals, weapons, and vehicles are all updated, especially with regards to sound. The story was enjoyable, although it isI have been playing Halo for years and have always enjoyed all aspects of Halo; story, multiplayer, forge, firefight, everything. Bungie may not be the one making Halo games anymore, but the franchise is in good hands. This game really feels like a Halo game but its visuals, weapons, and vehicles are all updated, especially with regards to sound. The story was enjoyable, although it is best to read the books and watch Forward Unto Dawn first. If you don't have the patience, reading a synopsis online will make it much easier to understand. I've always played campaign on Heroic to start out and had no trouble with Halo 4, although I did play smartly, so take that with a grain of salt. Not the longest campaign ever, but I'm really excited for more Spartan Ops and I can't wait to dig in more to multiplayer. Expand
  38. Nov 8, 2012
    This is coming from somebone who has played Halo since 2002 heres the pros and cons.

PROS Amazing graphics that get better as you progress through the campaign. Brilliant sound design and musical score. Addictive gameplay. The series is in safe hands. Great story and voice acting. CONS The xbox 360 is starting to show its age (No fault of 343!) No control of audio mix No

PROS
    Amazing graphics that get better as you progress through the campaign.
    Brilliant sound design and musical score.
    Addictive gameplay.
    The series is in safe hands.
    Great story and voice acting.

CONS
    The xbox 360 is starting to show its age (No fault of 343!)
    No control of audio mix
    No firefight The multiplayer should aim for 60fps + More player count in slayer in Halo 5 next gen (This is due to the aging 360 again)

All in all its a great game and im suprised just how good! worth your money.
  39. Nov 7, 2012
    i bought this game played campagn i loved it i tried the multyplayer i loved it . it was great . a little hard but fun .i played it with my cousin . he loved it
  40. Nov 7, 2012
    This is a wake n' bake review.

If you've forgotten or don't know about how much Halo has actually contributed to the genre, game design or multiplayer/co-op gaming, shame on you. You don't know 'bout video games. Campaign: I played the campaign straight through in Heroic yesterday and can safely say that this is not only a stellar Halo game, it's the best campaign since Halo 2. Just
    This is a wake n' bake review.

Campaign: I played the campaign straight through in Heroic yesterday and can safely say that this is not only a stellar Halo game, it's the best campaign since Halo 2. Just keep in mind it's very much the story from the chief's perspective. Spartan Ops will continue to expand and grow the events, so don't feel short changed story-wise when the credits roll. The only con is there's a limited amount of new enemies (and old for that matter). The ones that are there feel familiar but unpredictable. This is something that will be heavily criticised, but then CoD is just the same 5 guys for years now. Halo 5 needs a heavy class like the brutes. Just no **** flood.

The Rest: 343i have taken Halo and made it feel new. They took millions of fan requests and made it all work. It plays fast. The weapons have purpose. The graphics are crisp. As an amateur dev I can see every last technique in the book at work to make it eat the 360's resources. For the discerning eye it's a masterpiece in engineering for a current console.

I'm going back to play multiplayer now, but after 1 match last night i'm hooked.

I had largely quit Halo after dabbling in Reach, and have been playing CoD mostly for the last 2 years. I think CoD is better than Reach, but Halo 4 is way better than CoD.I'm not a crazy Halo fanboy, but as a lover of AAA games, I've always found it engaging and original.
  41. Nov 7, 2012
    This is right up there with all of the Halo's. Not perfect but for what 343 was given to work with (10 year old tech) these guys clearly pushed the limits and at the same time stayed true to the franchise. Multiplayer, Spartan Ops, Waypoint all kick ass. The campaign was the only thing lacking a little in my mind. The art is just sick. The environments, characters everything. They killedThis is right up there with all of the Halo's. Not perfect but for what 343 was given to work with (10 year old tech) these guys clearly pushed the limits and at the same time stayed true to the franchise. Multiplayer, Spartan Ops, Waypoint all kick ass. The campaign was the only thing lacking a little in my mind. The art is just sick. The environments, characters everything. They killed it. Not to mentioned all the extra bits like FUD etc. Got me really excited about Halo for the first time since the OG. Thank you 343 and better yet Microsoft for not messing this up like so many thought you would! Can't wait to play more Spartan Ops! Expand
  42. Jan 31, 2013
    Now, when I reviewed this game a while back, around when it first came out, I thought the game was absolutely AMAZING! The online play was incredibly addicting, the campaign and plot were gripping, and the first chapter of Spartan Ops wasn't half bad. I also loved the forge maps. However, as time went on and the buzz died down, the faults with this game revealed themselves. While theNow, when I reviewed this game a while back, around when it first came out, I thought the game was absolutely AMAZING! The online play was incredibly addicting, the campaign and plot were gripping, and the first chapter of Spartan Ops wasn't half bad. I also loved the forge maps. However, as time went on and the buzz died down, the faults with this game revealed themselves. While the campaign hadn't turned entirely sour, when compared to past Halo campaigns, it pales in comparison. I just felt the scope of the story was forced. However, I did enjoy the more human side of Master Chief coming to the forefront, particularly his relationship with his AI companion, Cortana. The online gameplay, which at first had been fantastic, had begun to drag on. After reaching level 50 or so, I just didn't feel compelled to play any longer. The Spartan Ops and Custom Games however were probably the biggest disappointment of the game. Despite being impressed with the first chapter, the more there were, the more I started to despise them. They used recycled maps over and over, and the missions were not challenging nor was the storyline compelling. When it comes to Custom Games, I was obsessed with these things back in the glory days of Halo 3. People came up with the most creative games despite the Forge engine being flawed. Many players of Halo 3, myself included, played the Custom Games more than the online competitive multiplayer. However, despite being advertised as the best new Forge maps, many of the maps were simply too small to be able to create anything fun. The only exception was Impact, which had some replayability, but was still surpassed by Halo 3 classics such as Foundry and Sandbox. Overall, Halo 4 is a great game for anyone to pick up and play, but is still the least entertaining of the Halo Saga. Expand
  43. Nov 7, 2012
    I think 343 nailed it perfectly. If it deviated from the halo franchise any further and they tried to push more innovation it may have upset fans. Likewise, If it was any less it would not have been a competitive title. With that said, I think this is a good basis to start. I have high expectations for the rest of this series. At heart I am a PC gamer but I always look for reason to powerI think 343 nailed it perfectly. If it deviated from the halo franchise any further and they tried to push more innovation it may have upset fans. Likewise, If it was any less it would not have been a competitive title. With that said, I think this is a good basis to start. I have high expectations for the rest of this series. At heart I am a PC gamer but I always look for reason to power up my consoles and this game reminded me why I got an xbox in the first place. Anyways just look the score distribution... either you'll love it or hate it... not many people were in between Expand
  44. Nov 7, 2012
    I gave this game a solid 9 because I felt like it has pushed the series in a new direction that is unique in it's own right. It is hard for people to accept change sometimes, but I feel like the changes that were made in this game were good ones in all aspects. Sure there were some things I didn't like, but for the most part it is a very well rounded game. One of the things however that II gave this game a solid 9 because I felt like it has pushed the series in a new direction that is unique in it's own right. It is hard for people to accept change sometimes, but I feel like the changes that were made in this game were good ones in all aspects. Sure there were some things I didn't like, but for the most part it is a very well rounded game. One of the things however that I didn't like was the kill cam when you die, it just isn't Halo in that regard and I'm actually really surprised that they put something like that in there. The campaign was a bit short but oh man was it beautiful and well done, the scenery is just beyond fantastic and I'm really impressed at how they were able to pull it off on such an old console. I remember them saying they pulled off a lot of technical trickery to be able to have such beautiful graphics, boy were they right. When Halo 5 is released on the new consoles I can only imagine what it will look like with 343 working on it, it's going to be unreal. The multiplayer is very well done, I really like the new game modes and maps, and can't wait for the new maps to come as well. Overall just an outstanding game that many will love to keep playing until the next Halo, until then have fun and take the game with a grain of salt (competitively anyways). Expand
  45. Nov 8, 2012
    This game is an enthralling story with Grade-A multiplayer, besting even the likes of Call of Duty. While short, the 8 mission campaign offers diverse locations and enemies to fight, with the story of Cortana and Master Chief's relationship taking center stage. The story is better due to the Chief being forced to be the emotional rock that Cortana clings to, rather than Chief being anThis game is an enthralling story with Grade-A multiplayer, besting even the likes of Call of Duty. While short, the 8 mission campaign offers diverse locations and enemies to fight, with the story of Cortana and Master Chief's relationship taking center stage. The story is better due to the Chief being forced to be the emotional rock that Cortana clings to, rather than Chief being an emotionless killing machine. The wide cast of characters all help play off of one another, and each has their own distinct personality. Lasky is an old friend of the Chief's, Palmer is one of the new Spartan-IVs, and Captain Del Rio is a battle-hardened commander with no respect for the Chief. The Didact makes a convincing antagonist, with clear cut motives and a wonderful voice actor. Every word a character says feels convincing, and 343 went all out with the sound effects and animations. The graphics are the best on the Xbox 360, and some vistas will leave you staring in awe at the scenery. The Promethean weapons look fantastic as they assemble in your hands, giving you a feeling of power.

Spartan Ops is the replacement to Firefight, and it's about just as much fun. Every week 343 will add 5 new missions for players to do either cooperatively, or solo, with each mission lasting around 10-15 minutes. They're a fun diversion to the campaign, which also supports 4-player coop, and while the continued DLC support will add a lasting value to it, the main appeal is in the competitive multiplayer.

343 helped Halo join the new generation of shooters by adding sprint in by default, Ordinance Drops for earning points in a game, and customizable load-outs. Armor customization makes a return, with more options than ever, allowing every Spartan to look unique. The gameplay is fast and fluid, with instant respawns in Slayer modes allowing the action to keep a steady pace of intensity. No weapon feels completely useless, Even the Assault Rifle that was weak in previous games can now allow you to go head to head in close quarters.

While Halo 4 is a fantastic game, it is not without its flaws. The brevity of the campaign is a slight drawback, along with the occasional issues with pacing in the campaign. You will constantly be asked to press buttons before you can move along, and while the gameplay is as solid as ever, the repeated objectives take a hit out of the score. Overall, Halo 4 is a great game with a ton of content and replayability. The return of Forge and Theater allow you to make custom maps, refine existing ones, and save any moments from your games that you want, campaign or otherwise. 343 has made a compelling game, and returned Halo to its rightful place as the flagship shooter of the Xbox 360. Halo 4 earns a 9/10.
  46. Nov 8, 2012
    Very nice, fast paced multiplayer and a great campaign! To top there's Spartan Ops to keep you coming long after the game was released. Only downsides are a crappy co-op ghost mission and the music isn't as badass xD
  47. Nov 9, 2012
    Love the game, as a halo fan its hard not to love anything with the master chief. The game is great graphics are outstanding and story line is good. 343 industries have created a good game and definitely stayed true to the halo universe. The only reason i couldnt give this 10/10 is i feel the weapons arnt perfectly balanced but beside that all the new content is great!
  48. Nov 9, 2012
    So I've just completed the campaign solo (about half way through with my mates on co-op), completed the Spartan Ops missions with my mates and invested a couple of hours into the multiplayer. I've loved every second of all of it. I have yet to find a major fault with any part of it. The graphics are simply astounding. It's amazing how good the game looks running on old hardware! TheSo I've just completed the campaign solo (about half way through with my mates on co-op), completed the Spartan Ops missions with my mates and invested a couple of hours into the multiplayer. I've loved every second of all of it. I have yet to find a major fault with any part of it. The graphics are simply astounding. It's amazing how good the game looks running on old hardware! The cinematics are some of the best I've seen, the faces look almost real. For the opening one both myself and my mate had trouble figuring out if the people were CGI or actors. The story was good. It seemed a bit barren in places and also left a couple of plot holes, however It was exciting and allot of fun going through it. The sound is also very good. The weapons, vehicles and ever voices seemed to have been tuned up a notch (Firing the assault rifle for the first time wont disappoint. As I said before multiplayer is allot of fun, especially with a couple of friends! It still plays like a halo game but also has changes to keep things fresh. I wouldnt say the game is perfect because it does has a couple of flaws, such as an over dependency on unlocks which is becoming all to popular in modern games, particullarly FPS', however its definitely up there. It seems like the people voting under 5 have been playing a different game to me. Each to there own I suppose. All in all this game has to be one of the best in the series, and I'm looking forward to what 343 will conjure up next! It's going to be one hell of a ride. Expand
  49. Nov 10, 2012
    After Reach, I had all but lost faith in Halo and it's apparent new COD clone direction. Halo didn't need to do this, it has a fanboy like following and vets that have played since CE enjoy Halo for it's pure multiplayer which entails skill not cheap tactics. Changing it to a concerted mess of perks and armour abilities (a la CoD) was driving the Halo community away, myself included. NowAfter Reach, I had all but lost faith in Halo and it's apparent new COD clone direction. Halo didn't need to do this, it has a fanboy like following and vets that have played since CE enjoy Halo for it's pure multiplayer which entails skill not cheap tactics. Changing it to a concerted mess of perks and armour abilities (a la CoD) was driving the Halo community away, myself included. Now comes Halo 4 and 343 industries have taken the reigns to create a new Halo trilogy following on from Bungie's original. Now for the most part, H4 rectifies the wrongs of Reach and returns SOME of the classic Halo we know and love, but sadly there is still too much inspiration drawn from Call of Duty. If I wanted CoD I would buy the originators of the Cod formula not transgress to a game that is trying to imitate it. The inclusion of the classic BR along with the DMR is nice and creates a sense of who's better in a firefight. The sprint button is also a welcome addition when you consider how archaic H3 felt without it. However armour abilities/ordnance drops and the new SAW gun are over powered, cheap and again as I've reiterated before too similar to Cods unbalanced MP. Despite these flaws MP can still be fun, especially when playing in bare bones modes like Slayer Pro (which is more like classic halo) and modes such as flood can be a relief from competitive game types. The game is in need of Team SWAT, MLG and team doubles but I'm confident these will appear in due course. In terms of single player this game is typical Halo, Sci-Fi movie esque which does a great job telling a story and the dynamic between Master Chief and Cortana and is possibly the most deep and intriguing story to date for the Halo franchise. It's again best shared co-operatively, especially if you attempt Legendary, the only gripe being it is relatively short coming in anywhere between 4-7 hours. Finally as many have said and will experience for themselves, this game is gorgeous, with sprawling lush landscapes and character facial models bettered only by LA Noire. Expand
  50. Nov 11, 2012
    I am a long, long time halo fan, got evey single game, finished legendary on all of them countless times (people who say this is a short game obviously have not bothered to challenge themselves) and read all novels and comic books. IMO Halo CE was brilliant and Halo 2 was and is gaming perfection. All other titles since have been attempted to be close to this level, and they are, but noneI am a long, long time halo fan, got evey single game, finished legendary on all of them countless times (people who say this is a short game obviously have not bothered to challenge themselves) and read all novels and comic books. IMO Halo CE was brilliant and Halo 2 was and is gaming perfection. All other titles since have been attempted to be close to this level, and they are, but none have the depth of story that halo 4 offers. everything is so new and unfamilliar, all the other halos feel kind of kiddy compared to this. The first true halo for adults. Halo 3's forge was novel, Reach, was great, but this is another step up in ease of use and effectiveness. Graphics are amazing. Sound is breathtaking. This is the best Halo in a long long time. Expand
  51. Nov 11, 2012
    I don't honestly understand why this game would be getting such a low user score? More than half of the negative user scores give very few if any reasons why they didn't like the game. But anyway, this game is amazing. Every bit of the game from the campaign down to the multiplayer is amazing. The campaign has an great musical score and a great story. The only issue I had with the story isI don't honestly understand why this game would be getting such a low user score? More than half of the negative user scores give very few if any reasons why they didn't like the game. But anyway, this game is amazing. Every bit of the game from the campaign down to the multiplayer is amazing. The campaign has an great musical score and a great story. The only issue I had with the story is that is was a bit short. Now to the multiplayer, the multiplayer is the best Halo multiplayer since Halo 3 for me. Many people are whining that some of the aspects of the multiplayer are stolen from CoD. Maybe if people would open their eyes and maybe do research for the game they are bashing on they would see that some people from CoD 4 worked on it and brought some of the things that made CoD 4 great into Halo 4. Every playlist in multiplayer is downright fun and there will be weekly updates made to playlists every week based on community feedback. However some of the weapons given to you in loadouts may be slightly overpowered but it's not too much to worry about. The maps in this game are great but not instant classics like maps from previous Halo games. Spartan Ops is an interesting co-op mode that has replaced firefight that follows a story taking place after the main story. I didn't take me too long to beat every mission at launch but this is coupled with the fact they will be releasing 5 more missions every week for 10 weeks. In conclusion, 343 has brought Halo back and it is better than ever. Expand
  52. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Allow me to just say this: I've bought and played every single Halo game released since Halo:CE. I have also played the CoD and MoH series, and yet I can say this about Halo 4: it is by far one of the most amazing first-person shooter games I've seen. And that's saying something. In a genre where the basic aim of the game is "point and shoot," it can be amazingly difficult to have the game portray any sort of substance beyond the passing thrill of shooting the enemy in the face or performing trick shots. So when I played through the campaign (admittedly on Normal difficulty), I was absolutely stunned by how magnificent the story they chose to portray shone through. The love story, tragic and moving without being sexualized: brilliant. The graphical display of the rich environment of Requiem: stunning. The suspense, which after the Flood would have had a high bar to surpass: thrilling. Even just the fact that 343 Industries decided to so deeply entangle the game with the novels being published (a concerted effort, if I recall correctly, between the authors and 343 Industries to expand the Halo canon ala Star Wars) made the game so much more interesting and intriguing.

Now then, what about the similarities, one might ask, with CoD? Now, I don't personally understand the hate between CoD and Halo fans (thinking as I do that it is just plainly stupid, since both series are great in their own separate story frames), but I can also recognize that some of the complaints of long-time Halo players regarding similar motifs is true. The rotating UNSC shield is very reminiscent of the CoD loading screens. A few other things did remind me of CoD, but is that why my score is not a 10? No.

These complaints are, at heart, irrevelant. FPS games, we must realize, run on the same generic platform framework. You have a gun, there are enemies, so shoot them in the face. Or anywhere else you want to shoot them. Everything else is just polish. Is your radar to the left or right, bottom or top, how the shield bar works, whether you have quicktime events or not...that's all just extras, so the idea that a game is inferior because similarities have cropped up with another game is ridiculous, as they all share the same basic idea.

So why is the score 9/10 rather than 10/10? For me, it was the end boss. It wasn't the quicktime event, however. If done right, a quicktime event can become just as thrilling as an actual boss fight, particularly as it means the story requires that the boss die in a certain way (usually to later explain how he/she/it survived and is coming back to bite you in the rear for not finishing him off properly). Rather, it was that the entire sequence was so short. Even then, it melded so well with the campaign's story that it didn't even bother me all that much. That's my only real gripe with the campaign, and I've yet to see a problem with the Multiplayer, so I won't even go there.

In short, 343 Industries have created a resounding success in their first foray into the Halo world. I can't wait to see what they'll come up with next. Hopefully, the 2nd Forerunner-Human War!
  53. Nov 11, 2012
    At first I didn't really like the game but after playing for many hours and days, I LOVE IT. The campaign was fantastic and is an emotional roller-coaster. The story between Cortana and Master Chief is told very well and IMO this campaign is one of the best in the Halo series. The graphics and sound effects are AMAZING and for a game that runs at 30fps this game is SMOOTH. The enemies inAt first I didn't really like the game but after playing for many hours and days, I LOVE IT. The campaign was fantastic and is an emotional roller-coaster. The story between Cortana and Master Chief is told very well and IMO this campaign is one of the best in the Halo series. The graphics and sound effects are AMAZING and for a game that runs at 30fps this game is SMOOTH. The enemies in this game are smart, clever and very well done. They actually have a mind of their own and don't run and hide like in previous halo games. Voice acting and the sound tracks for Halo are outstanding. The Multiplayer PLAYS AND FEELS LIKE HALO unlike halo reach (which I hated IMO ) Everything is perfectly balanced this time. The level design is very good and the maps are all well thought-out. The armor abilities and the weapon drops give a fresh new look to Halo 4 and makes the game fell less repetitive compared to previous Halo games. If you like old school Halo then there is a special playlist called Team slayer pro which removes all armor abilities and weapon drops and makes the game just like Halo 3. However, since I am giving a fair review there are SOME things which I really didn't like in this game. The respawns in multiplayer aren't as bad as COD but they get quite annoying and i always end up being spawned in front of a warthog and then being run over immediately. I was also hoping that the campaign could have been a bit longer since it is only 6 hours on normal difficulty. Other than those reasons, this game is VERY GOOD and I highly recommend it. No game is perfect :) Expand
  54. Nov 11, 2012
    As a longtime halo fan I was very skeptical of this new game, not because of the new studio behind it 343, but because of the new "call of duty-like" things being added to multiplayer. After finishing the campaign on heroic and getting to rank 36 here is the good and bad. If you don't want to read, just know that overall it is an excellent game, especially compared to most games theseAs a longtime halo fan I was very skeptical of this new game, not because of the new studio behind it 343, but because of the new "call of duty-like" things being added to multiplayer. After finishing the campaign on heroic and getting to rank 36 here is the good and bad. If you don't want to read, just know that overall it is an excellent game, especially compared to most games these days, and is worth buying.

The good:
    -join in progress multiplayer games. Now when someone rage quits your team isn't permanently down players for the entire match. I have come into several matches in progress where my team was losing slightly and helped them come back to win. -controls still feel like halo. The jumping, the melee, the movement, the headshots, it all feels just like a halo game. I have heard complaints to the new controls but I use bumper jumper which is more traditional.
    -graphics. I thought Halo: Reach was easily the best looking xbox game, but where it had really crisp textures and almost no shadows, Halo 4 outdoes reach with amazing lighting and shadows. Easily the best looking console game today. -balance. Right off the bat the game feels nicely balanced in terms of weapon power. There is no clear winner with the dmr vs br, and even the carbine and light rifle are on par. None of the weapons feel weak, with even the assault rifle and plasma pistol being formidable weapons.
    -ordinance. I feel it's a great chance of pace to slayer and if you don't like it it's only in slayer
    -dominion. Amazing! A next-gen version of domination or capture and hold control points. The longer you hold a base, the more defenses it builds and resupplies your team with weapons and vehicles.
    -maps. Miles ahead of Halo: Reach in terms of maps on release. Each map is unique and I really love them all except Haven.

Now some of the bad you should know about
    -the killcam. Great idea even if it's ripped off of call of duty. In my experience it doesn't work 95% of the time, instead showing you a weird replay of someone shooting into the sky.
    -Spartan Ops: not nearly as good as firefight in my opinion. The missions are bland and don't really compare to the amazing campaign missions. Though to be honest, I wouldn't want to fight waves of prometheans anyway.
    -slowing down when shot. This is a double edged sword. It stops nooby double melee rushing, but it also makes it even harder to stay alive in a game that is already beefing up the speed of kills. -No small weapons on maps. I like how power weapons can drop randomly anywhere, but in an objective game where you don't call in ordinance, the only way to pick up a different gun is to kill an enemy. There are no longer grenades and non-power weapons on the map to pick up and resupply you with ammo.

Overall this game is definitely worth getting. It has changed a bit but I believe for the better. Halo was originally called "combat evolved" and I think they need to keep evolving the halo formula.
  55. Nov 12, 2012
    Undoubtedly the best Halo title yet, and the first to make major changes to the multiplayer game dynamic. The campaign is graphically spectacular, with the increasing rampancy of Cortana a very engaging plot device. The Flood are thankfully absent, the Prometheans are awesome, there are some excellent set pieces, and a great spaceship level made it a memorable experience. It does have itsUndoubtedly the best Halo title yet, and the first to make major changes to the multiplayer game dynamic. The campaign is graphically spectacular, with the increasing rampancy of Cortana a very engaging plot device. The Flood are thankfully absent, the Prometheans are awesome, there are some excellent set pieces, and a great spaceship level made it a memorable experience. It does have its flaws though. As all FPS campaigns it is almost insultingly short, taking around 7 hours on normal. The game also struggles to tell the story as each level progress, and while the cut scenes are glorious they skimp on details. My biggest issue was the final boss fight, which was a clumsy quick time event and made for a very unsatisfying conclusion. However, overall it was an enjoyable romp as any Halo campaign should be. Spartan Ops is an interesting edition, good fun with friends or alone. Free episodic story content is a really innovative idea and should give the game a longer life expectancy. I have high hopes for it. The main gameplay changes come in multiplayer. Borrowing from the call of duty games, you now have loadouts. Unlike COD however, these do not spoil the game for new players, as they are more to do with personal preference than raw power. Heavy weapons no longer have spawn points on the maps, but instead are dropped/teleported into random locations than then appear on everyone Expand
  56. Nov 12, 2012
    A lot of gamers are getting on here and saying that this game is not the same Halo game that we have all come to love. I might agree with that statement a little bit but the truth is that in my opinion it has gotten better. Halo is known for having storylines that fall apart at some point and leave you just shooting in the middle of some mission for no reason. Give 343 Industries aA lot of gamers are getting on here and saying that this game is not the same Halo game that we have all come to love. I might agree with that statement a little bit but the truth is that in my opinion it has gotten better. Halo is known for having storylines that fall apart at some point and leave you just shooting in the middle of some mission for no reason. Give 343 Industries a chance because Halo needed a reboot. They might have saved Halo from extinction after the Armor-Locking fiasco that was Halo: Reach. So what I am trying to say is that if you are going to judge a game for taking a risk and changing its gameplay some then you probably still believe that we should never come out with a new gaming system either. Halo 4 is pretty awesome too! Expand
  57. Nov 12, 2012
    Halo 4. Apparently we didnt finish the fight afterall. But you know what, I'm ok with that. Ignore the negative scores on this site. These are the same trolls that complained about Diablo and Mass Effect. These are the same trolls that complain about how things changed too much, but would also complain if nothing changed. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say. There is noHalo 4. Apparently we didnt finish the fight afterall. But you know what, I'm ok with that. Ignore the negative scores on this site. These are the same trolls that complained about Diablo and Mass Effect. These are the same trolls that complain about how things changed too much, but would also complain if nothing changed. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say. There is no denying the multi-player comparisons to Call of Duty. Hell, some of the changes are clearly blatant ripoffs. But this is still Halo. Its still the fast paced, twitch firing, map memorizing game weve been playing since the LAN parties of 2001. Multiplayer is fine, and when BLOPS2 comes out, all the COD fan boys will leave and Halo's MP experience can only strengthen. However, MP is only part of the game. Spartan Ops add a fresh co-op experience, and 343 is pumping it full of maps every week...for free. The single player is more lore driven than previous entries, and personally i learned more about the Halo universe from H4, than any game before. I play single player in one of two ways, "Easy" - i like to play for the story, i want that to progress smoothly and fluidly with no frustrations. However, "legendary" with a friend is a must, i still want a challenge. But i need to get that story out of the way first, this is a lore centric series now (something i feel Bungie missed out on) and you owe it to yourself to see the single player game through. I gave this game a 9 because it isnt perfect. The mission objectives in SP are repetitive, their only saving grace is the level variety. But really, other than that, this game is amazing. Matchmaking in MP is fluid, smooth, quick, and i rarely get dumped into a random losing game. The guns are amazingly balanced for an initial release (really guys, the DMR kills at long range, but doesnt stand a chance vs a BR at mid, learn to aim) As someone who has routinely sucked at past Halo MP offerings, i can say that i am having an absolute blast with H4, the changes have allowed me to become a "better" player, thus making the game more enjoyable. 343 took a huge risk with a beloved franchise, and came out on top. Halo can only go up from here! Expand
  58. Nov 13, 2012
    There is no doubt that 343 Industries handled one the most famous FPS game of the history almost impeccably as soon as you play the first campaign missions. At the core it's still the same old great Halo we've been playing for years, yet at times, the game can deliver that same freshness the first one delivered as you're thrown in a completely new world against a whole new enemy even moreThere is no doubt that 343 Industries handled one the most famous FPS game of the history almost impeccably as soon as you play the first campaign missions. At the core it's still the same old great Halo we've been playing for years, yet at times, the game can deliver that same freshness the first one delivered as you're thrown in a completely new world against a whole new enemy even more threatening than the Covenant. The sound is still one of the finest you'd find, only this time, the same can be said in regard to the graphics. How beautiful this game looks! The gameplay, in spite of the default sprint, has changed very little and been kept as good as the past games. Last but not least, the multiplayer; well, in a nutshell: EXTREMELY addictive. Beware. Unfortunately, many Halo fans' favorite playlists were not shipped with the game, but it is nothing a patch can't fix. Fan of Halo? MUST buy. Not a fan? Why not join us now? It's a new trilogy, and 343i has proved itself to be more than capable of carrying on the legacy of the series. Expand
  59. Nov 13, 2012
    First off I am a long time halo fan and I actually wasn't going to buy it after hearing some interviews with the designers. Reviews started pouring in and it got me excited enough to pick it up. Long story short, if your a halo fan or a fan of sci fi you will probably like this.

The music while not as epic or memorable as Marty o Donnels scores still easily surpass almost all other games. It is a welcome change of tone for me and feels like it could be right at home in a mass effect game, also a big fan of the mass effect music. If you have ever seen the movie Sunshine, 28 days later, or snatch which the soundtracks for those were all done by a guy named John Murphy. It feels like his style mixed with some mass effect. Which again are great because im a big fan of all this. So enough about the music, I loved it.

The gameplay is what you'd exspect from halo and if you are a fan of the others than you will feel right at home with this one.

The storyline is great minus 2 chapters which didn't serve any purpose but as filler. There's 2 chase scenes and they both are very glitchy but they are over quickly and don't ruin the experience.

I did have a problem unlocking a avatar award but after I cleared my cache and tied again it popped the second time. Not a big deal but when I am useto bungies extremely high quality little touches like that make it apparent that bungie had nothing to do with this. Great game, not the best but better than most.

Ohh and no swat in matchmaking? WTF?
  60. Nov 13, 2012
    I purchased Halo 4 mainly for the story. I've played and own all the games, and read many of the books so to me the biggest point of the game was the storyline. Thankfully, the story was great! As has been stated in other reviews, lots of character development and intense moments between Master Chief and Cortana. The gameplay was good as well, but felt very similar to previous Halo gamesI purchased Halo 4 mainly for the story. I've played and own all the games, and read many of the books so to me the biggest point of the game was the storyline. Thankfully, the story was great! As has been stated in other reviews, lots of character development and intense moments between Master Chief and Cortana. The gameplay was good as well, but felt very similar to previous Halo games (not necessarily a bad thing.) A few cool new weapons and abilities as well as the returning "veterans." I had a few minor gripes with some of the changes, like the updated Covenant for example, but that is totally a personal complaint and nothing major. Overall, a fun game which takes proven game mechanics with some small adjustments and puts it with an intriguing story line. I'd say a must buy for fans of the Halo series in general, and maybe a try before you buy for everyone else. Expand
  61. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo 4 itself has managed to give me many feelings towards 343i and the franchise they will continue to create. These feelings are excitement, blissfulness, tolerance, prejudice, rage, anger, hatred, and despair. YOU WILL LOVE THIS GAME BUT HATE IT AT THE SAME TIME! There are so many parts that I liked. Now the people below me are probably CoD **** stating that the game sucks so bad cuzHalo 4 itself has managed to give me many feelings towards 343i and the franchise they will continue to create. These feelings are excitement, blissfulness, tolerance, prejudice, rage, anger, hatred, and despair. YOU WILL LOVE THIS GAME BUT HATE IT AT THE SAME TIME! There are so many parts that I liked. Now the people below me are probably CoD **** stating that the game sucks so bad cuz there is no innovation, claiming that they copied from CoD when in reality the things they added came from a plethora of shooters. The game is innovative by adding in Spartan Ops and especially Spartan Ops. While I would like to strangle Spartan Jared Miller to death in the game, it allows me to have fun with my pals without having the ease of jet-packing around with rockets as how you would in Matchmaking firefight on Reach. Another innovative thing they added in was the Prometheans and the Forerunner weapons. Come on guys, they added a fifth faction into the game, the bad Forerunners.

So right about now you're thinking if I'm a noob or if I am biased. I am level 42 in the game so I've played a lot of Halo 4 since its release.

Forge is disappointing due to the removal of crouching in monitor (Really helps when not using Coordinates or Magnets) and the lack of terrain and space in the 3 maps. While that is disappointing, that doesn't mean that the innovative approach forgers have is obliterated. I've seen many good games that TheHaloForgeEpidemic has created. For example 5 levels.

Campaign is good for those who have read the books especially the Forerunner saga section. It will give you an inside look at people like the Didact, Master Builder, and the Librarian in the saga. So do the terminals in the game.

Many are saying that the DMR is OP but in reality it's that the other rifles are just underpowered in the game while the Boltshot pistol is in my opinion too powerful for a sidearm.

The Matchmaking are small but are lot's of fun. My favorite mode is Dominion while I hate Infinity slayer with a passion on BTB maps.

Overall this game should not be hated as much as the 474 people giving negative reviews are saying it should be. This game is a worthy successor to the franchise and 343i should continue their job tending to the franchise.

8.8/10 (Rounded to 9)
  62. Nov 13, 2012
    Wow. I'm surprised. I was not expecting it to be this good. When 343 took over I can't lie I was little curious on if they were the right people to take it over, and if it is even worth continuing the Halo series without Bungie. But after Halo 4 I'm sold and completely convinced. For starters the story was amazing. Going more personal with Master Chief and Cortana was very clever, sinceWow. I'm surprised. I was not expecting it to be this good. When 343 took over I can't lie I was little curious on if they were the right people to take it over, and if it is even worth continuing the Halo series without Bungie. But after Halo 4 I'm sold and completely convinced. For starters the story was amazing. Going more personal with Master Chief and Cortana was very clever, since it's not something I thought about before about them two having this relationship. Plus the voice acting was very, very good. The most shocking I think though is the sound and graphics. I mean wow. They blew me away. Those departments really nailed it. I truly thought the first cut scene was live action for a good minute. And the guns now sound powerful as if you are really firing that gun. Now the multiplayer. Still fun as always. I'm glad they added some of the nowaday modern shooter features that have been popular like loadouts, and sprinting as not just an armor ability. I think 343 used the features to the perfect extent. They made it so it did not feel too much like other shooters and still as the Halo we love. Obviously there is a lot of hate for the loadouts and sprint comparing it to COD, but I don't think 343 had much of choice. It's what people has come to except nowadays in shooters, and it's the first time Halo is really changing their multiplayer format and hey, I welcome the change. And if I were to compare it to anything, I would compare it to the Battlefield series more, especially when playing big team battle. Overall the games amazing, and it's a must play. Of course it's not perfect, but with 2 more games left, they are sure to hit that mark. Expand
  63. Nov 13, 2012
    I really was worried for Halo 4 when Bungie stepped down but 343 pulled it off.

Pros

Great story
    Amazing graphics
    Multiplayer is good, slightly different but very fun
    Spartan ops are cool but short
    Cortana's **** and ass-LOL

Cons

No halo 5 for a while

Buy this now!
  64. Lap
    Nov 16, 2012
    This game is phenomenal, it has truly pushed the limits for the Xbox 360 and gameplay alike. It's graphics are astounding while the scenery can be jaw dropping. You feel amazingly small and that is a great feel for everything to be of an incredible size. The story is more in depth look at master chief and cortona. It was a nice change of pace to be fighting a new enemy and to see new typesThis game is phenomenal, it has truly pushed the limits for the Xbox 360 and gameplay alike. It's graphics are astounding while the scenery can be jaw dropping. You feel amazingly small and that is a great feel for everything to be of an incredible size. The story is more in depth look at master chief and cortona. It was a nice change of pace to be fighting a new enemy and to see new types of structures. The multiplayer was perfect, the weapons are all balanced in proportion for their use. Some maps feel a little sloppy in areas but for the most part are astounding and play well and leave no room for sitting around, which is fantastic. The change in loadouts, and passive/active skills have added whole new play styles to this already amazing game and will fit to any users liking. Expand
  65. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is truly astonishing! The visuals are like nothing I've ever seen before in any game on the market. 343 Industries did the halo universe a solid by keeping the legend alive. The campaign is extremely immersive and level design keeps you coming back for more. Its filled with hero moments that will make your heart race and emotional moments that will leave you with a tear inThis game is truly astonishing! The visuals are like nothing I've ever seen before in any game on the market. 343 Industries did the halo universe a solid by keeping the legend alive. The campaign is extremely immersive and level design keeps you coming back for more. Its filled with hero moments that will make your heart race and emotional moments that will leave you with a tear in your eye. Overall this heroic story is a must for any console gamer. Expand
  66. Nov 13, 2012
    I won't lie, although I knew it wouldn't suck I didn't expect it to anywhere near as good as bungies games. But they proved me wrong this is probably tied with halo 2 for 1st place to me. This games campaign is insane smooth and very VERY fun. Spartan ops is fun but I think the story was lacking however we still have 4 episodes left. The multiplayers probably the best of the series. AndI won't lie, although I knew it wouldn't suck I didn't expect it to anywhere near as good as bungies games. But they proved me wrong this is probably tied with halo 2 for 1st place to me. This games campaign is insane smooth and very VERY fun. Spartan ops is fun but I think the story was lacking however we still have 4 episodes left. The multiplayers probably the best of the series. And the graphics are stunning, forge is awesome and more creative then before. The reason it's a 9 is because I didn't like the music and miss Marty and the campaign only took around 5 hours which was too short for me. Other then that this games worth the 60 bucks no doubt. This is THE SHOOTER OF 2012 (but not quite game of the year) Expand
  67. Nov 14, 2012
    This is the best xbox360 game since Mass Effect 2 and the best Halo since Halo 2.

9/10 Gameplay Feels like an improved version of previous Halos - exactly what I wanted, with a wider range of weaponry but with the classic balance the series is renowned for. 8/10 Campaign Great way to kick start a new trilogy with a new faction of enemies, my only criticism is that the plot was

8/10 Campaign Great way to kick start a new trilogy with a new faction of enemies, my only criticism is that the plot was a bit meandering but still was very entertaining. 10/10 Graphics The best graphics ever displayed by my xbox360 so has to be a perfect score.

9/10 Soundtrack As always the music appropriate for the scenes in the campaign, theyve also updated the gun sounds and battlefield ambience which is real improvement (just compare sound of assault rifle in Halo 3 to Halo 4 to get what I mean).

10/10 Multiplayer Perhaps the most important aspect of Halo 4. I can only compare it to other first person shooters out there so here goes: I own MW3, BF3, it is much better than these. Camping is punished and like in all previous Halos you cant just repeatedly run around a corner and auto aim no scope someone with a souped-up AWP for an insta-kill like on some other FPS's out there. Hence if you are smart your life expectancy will be much much longer than the average of 7 seconds you can expect from MW3 or any other CoD for that matter. The maps are great, allow for a good range of combat, if you want you can go for up close melee tactics or use rifles against anyone foolish enough to run across an open battlefield without cover. Also, vehicles arent overpowered and are vulnerable if the pilot/driver makes a mistake like flying a banshee too low or crashing a tank into a rock that has 3 Spartans waiting to pounce from behind, it whereas a skilled player will rack up kills with it before the opposing team has had enough and banzai attacks them or finds a suitable weapon (hello mr railgun) to eliminate the threat. I would say that the multiplayer aspect is on a par with Bad Company 2 for entertainment value so it gets a 10.

Definitely worth £40 I would highly recommend this game to anyone interested in gaming.
  68. Nov 18, 2012
    Halo 4 offers something new and something old both in the best of ways.The campaign, for the most part, feels like a well thought-out and well-weaved story in the huge Halo universe.
    The level design is fantastic, and varied, the last time a Halo game had this kind of variety in its campaign it was 2001 and Halo:CE was starting a FPS revolution on consoles. You are playing as Master Chief of course and there are plenty plot lines being weaved in this campaign of which I won't spoil for you here, but its particularly amazing if, like me, you are a generally a big fan of great science-fiction. The campaigns variety in level design greatly benefits from the game-engine, which is arguably 343 industries greatest accomplishment in Halo 4. The lighting and textures in this game are the best to-date of any Halo game before it, and quite possibly the most beautiful looking game on the Xbox 360 console. Of course, the engine is not only responsible for the eye-candy but also for the game physics and the sandbox dynamics Halo games are well-known for by the hard-core Halo fans. The physics in the game are great, the game always makes you feel like you weigh a figurative ton, the weapons have the signature diversity to them as well as their place in the sandbox. Halo games have always had varied weapons of which nearly all must be mastered to escape tight situations in campaign and most importantly, in multi-player. The sniper rifle, Rail gun, and sticky detonator come to mind when talking about this, it absolutely feels like nearly every weapon in Halo 4 was included to fit a definitive role while also being flexible enough to be used in not-so ideal scenarios for said weapons. Which could not really be said about every Bungie-made Halo game, with Halo 2, Halo 3, and even Reach, there were a few weapons that were pretty much ignored by the player due to not having a role in the sandbox that could be more effective than another weapon, Not in Halo 4, from the fully automatic weapons, to the pistols, to the precision weapons and power weapons, every single one of them feels like it serves a purpose in the sandbox and that is impressive. The same could also be said for the vehicles in Halo 4, they all have a role, and they all feel properly balanced, no one vehicle feels over-powered, if you know how to identify its role in the sandbox you can be very effective with it. It all really is quite a testament to 343s abilities, but there are bits and pieces, campaign-wise, that feel out of sync with the rest of the generally fantastic story, there was a certain point in the campaign where I pressed a total of 3 different buttons on my controller to get through a scenario where I felt like I wasn't actually in control of anything. I was simply playing through a scripted event where hitting a single button would perform actions that could be enjoyed more-so if simply viewed. Any and all events like the one above have always been handled by a cutscene where you would see the chief (not in first-person) perform his bad-assery, to "play" through something like that felt quite unnecessary and also felt a bit out of place when considering how the rest of the campaign plays out, if you're going to make a cut-scene the best thing to do is not give the player mediocre control, either he absolutely controls the character or he doesn't, that idea is what creates great pacing. Another example of a stumbling is when I found myself watching a cut-scene that lead to a level, I walked about 30 feet forward and then was presented another cut-scene, that also kills pacing, good thing is it only happened that one time, but it's there nonetheless to show us that this is a development team still trying to master that Halo signature pacing Halo games have been known for as well as trying to place their own stamp on a franchise that they clearly love. Aside from those small gripes, the campaign is fantastic and should be a memorable one, some will undoubtedly find some of the dialogue strange and different but after playing through it a second time, you really start to understand what 343i was trying to do with these characters. The Multiplayer in Halo 4 is nothing short of a great advancement in the franchise, considering all I've talked about in the previous section, the weapon balance and roles in the multiplayer side of things is even more obvious, and (again) the same can be said for the vehicles. The map designs are also well rounded from the small-medium-large. The multiplayer is where the games balance absolutely shines. Of course there are a few things you will notice off the bat that will have you question 343s decision making, like removing friendly fire from 4v4 slayer on-line but after quite a bit of time playing through all of its game types, those concerns fade due to the fact that the game plays so well as-is. Add the weekly Spartan Ops episodic content and Forge and you get one of the most complete game packages.
  69. Nov 14, 2012
    weak story mode drives the whole package down but spartan ops is a neat side mode and the mutiplayer. is very good the weapons make for intease battles and are more skill based then reaches they feel more like halo 3s gunplay
    the maps are fun and regicde is a great twist on ffa and the fleshed out zombie mode is very cool
    the graphics are some of the best on the. xbox to date also and
    the graphics are some of the best on the. xbox to date also and the combat feels so much more balanced. the lucky unskilled kills of reach are gone love it so far
  70. Nov 14, 2012
    The Halo franchise is in good hands. 343 industries did what many thought it could not be done, make a Halo game that surpasses in many areas what Bungie created with Combat Evolved. The art style is amazing, pushing a 7 year old machine to produce incredible vistas that are accompanied by an amazing sound design. As great as it sounds I really think they played it too safe. Some differentThe Halo franchise is in good hands. 343 industries did what many thought it could not be done, make a Halo game that surpasses in many areas what Bungie created with Combat Evolved. The art style is amazing, pushing a 7 year old machine to produce incredible vistas that are accompanied by an amazing sound design. As great as it sounds I really think they played it too safe. Some different gameplay scenarios that did not involve pushing a button or shooting everything in sight would have been welcomed. Still, a great campaign, the addictive as ever multiplayer and the spartan ops cooperative missions make this a must play for anyone. Expand
  71. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is excellent. The Campaign is outstanding, continuing from the end of Halo 3 while refreshing it with some of the features from Reach. The graphics in Halo 4 look beautiful and the new sounds are much better than past games.

The Multiplayer is much more fast pace and the whole new Forerunner weapons are very fun to shoot. it is a excellent Halo game and a much better improvement to Halo: Reach.
  72. Nov 14, 2012
    The graphics are amazing, I'm surprised they could have such beautiful graphics on a 7 year-old console.The campaign wasn't too long, it was a decent length, but it was truly beautiful with an amazing story. Spartan ops is neat but suffers from major lag when played online. The multiplayer adds in some ways additions to make it like COD, but it is kind of a good thing. They've made changesThe graphics are amazing, I'm surprised they could have such beautiful graphics on a 7 year-old console.The campaign wasn't too long, it was a decent length, but it was truly beautiful with an amazing story. Spartan ops is neat but suffers from major lag when played online. The multiplayer adds in some ways additions to make it like COD, but it is kind of a good thing. They've made changes to keep Halo fresh and the game is Extremely fun. Expand
  73. Nov 14, 2012
    After playing for almost 2 weeks now I can say with confidence that this is the Halo game I've been waiting for.

The campaign is the best campaign since H1, and really opens the universe even further than before. I though bungie nailed the Forerunner theme, but 343 just brings it to a whole another level. The difficulty seems to be easier compared to past Halo's so i would recommended going a difficulty higher than what you would usually play in past halos. After beating this campaign I'm very excited to read the all the book and expand my knowledge of this vast, deep and beautifully crafted universe.

The multilayer is as good as H1 and H3 multilayer, but not as good as H2 though far better than Reach. There are a few bugs with the technical aspects of the game (networking, unlocks, challenges, stats, ui) but the gameplay itself is polished. There are a few glitches so far, but non that break the game. I feel that they did a great job at implementing the call of duty format of multilayer with the classes, weapons, perks and ordinance. The reason this game did not get 10 is because of the lack for some deep features that all Halo fans would immediately notice. Most of it being the lack of customization compared to the rest of the games, and the uninspired gametypes. These are flaws i can live with, although there is word of patches in the coming future.

All in all, amazing game
  74. Nov 17, 2012
    This is a great game, but it is not perfect. First, the cons. The weakest part of this game is the campaign. Although I liked the fact that they are trying to change things up, the story is confusing. I own, and have beaten, all of the previous FPS Halo games. 343 Industries put terminals in the game that you have to find to understand the story properly. Unfortunately, they areThis is a great game, but it is not perfect. First, the cons. The weakest part of this game is the campaign. Although I liked the fact that they are trying to change things up, the story is confusing. I own, and have beaten, all of the previous FPS Halo games. 343 Industries put terminals in the game that you have to find to understand the story properly. Unfortunately, they are not easy to find, so you end up being a little confused about the story plot. Also, you end up either doing "three things" to beat a certain area, or beat a bunch of enemies down a long corridor, hallway, or trench. The level design could have been fleshed out more. The Spartan Ops, are a nice addition, but consist of "kill bad guys, move forward, beat bad guys, and move forward." Some of them are fun, but not at the cost of replacing Firefight. Now the pros. Graphically, this is the best looking game on the 360. The opening cinematic is jaw-dropping. I was amazed that this was a 360 game. The sound is AMAZING. Generally you expect a game to have good sound design. I've never had a game have such good weapon sounds, that it made me feel like it was real. 343 Industries did a masterful job with the weapon sounds. Also, the music is new and refreshing. Some complain that they didn't use the old music. I don't. It sounds appropriate, and has wonderful tracks. Multiplayer. Multiplayer is refined and, unlike previous Halo iterations, fast-paced. Some, again, complain about the change. Halo needed a shot in the arm, and 343i handled it splendidly. I think the only thing I want is more maps, which will be coming down the pipes in a few months. All in all, this is a great new Halo. I think 343i did a wonderful job, will tweak some of the mechanics, and make Halo 5 perfect. Expand
  75. Nov 15, 2012
    343 has managed to bring back the huge scale and epic feeling of Halo 2. They have also managed to make some modern multilayer tweaks to pander to gamers who need innovation and change with new games to make them worth buying. Halo 3 didn't have enough new elements, while Reach had too many and was unbalanced. Here they have managed to strike a good balance between old and new, with how343 has managed to bring back the huge scale and epic feeling of Halo 2. They have also managed to make some modern multilayer tweaks to pander to gamers who need innovation and change with new games to make them worth buying. Halo 3 didn't have enough new elements, while Reach had too many and was unbalanced. Here they have managed to strike a good balance between old and new, with how the game feels and the added running, abilities etc. Some would say they are making it like Call of Duty but I would say they are showing a little humility and just taking the best (and most obvious) elements from other popular and successful modern shooters and building on their core gameplay with them. It's still hard to say why I have a 'Halo 2' vibe from this, but I do.

I'm halfway through the campaign and I'm only level 24 on multi player, but I can already tell I will continue to play for months to come. Fighting the covenant still feels largely the same with the mediocre a.i and same vehicles, but the new Promethean race feels fresh. They are challenging to fight and not mindless like the flood. Multiplayer maps feel instantly better than Reach. They are well designed. They're don't seem to be a lot of them, but Haven among others already feel like instant classics with awesome site lines to explore. This takes cues from all Halo games and builds on them. It's exciting that this is the first game in a new trilogy. When they start doing something really innovative with the match making and have MMO elements included like trading, interplanetary travel etc. I will give it a ten. Nine for now. The real chief is back.
  76. Nov 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I dont always play xbox 360. But when I do I play Halo 4. **** I didnt realize this had to be at least 150 characters or the first two sentences would have been my review. But seriously Halo 4 does not disappoint at the slightest bit. Both multiplayer and campaign deliver what every (for the most part) Halo fan desires. This game helps one remember why he/she loves video games in the first place: Its ****ing fun, it looks amazing, and it transports you into another world where you stay until turn your console off and leave the room. with all **** talking and dumb comparisons to other games aside this game is a must buy/rent/borrow (just ****ing play it) if you enjoy having fun. Expand
  77. Jan 18, 2013
    I started to play Halo in this game, so my opinion isn't of a big fan. But I loved it, the graphics are excelent, but most important: The multiplayer is the best FPS I've ever played. Campaign isn't pretty good, but isn't bad.
  78. Nov 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not the biggest Halo fan out there. As expected this will likely feel just like another Halo game. However, there are vast improvements. Gone are the days of camping weapon spawns. Here now are the days of getting care packages with random weapons. I feel this makes multiplayer more appealing since I don't have to worry about racing to a weapon spawn that someone has camped and timed. Also, the new weapons add an interesting touch. While they do operate the same as already existing weapons, they do add subtle nuances such as how the boltshot reloads. It gets better. The human shotgun, DMR, and battle rifle are all here. The major negative factor for me was the spawn points feeling random and aim assist not allowing me to do my own work.

As for the campaign, it was short. That does not mean it wasn't good. It provided the continuation of the Halo story but with aspects often overlooked. It very well portrayed the bond and tension between the chief and cortana. Also, it portrays the chief as a human being who is not perfect or emotionless. Throughout the campaign it shows chief's struggle to get jobs done with a friend who isn't operating perfectly and how he deals with tasks going awry and not being completed.

Other than that, the environments should be noted. While the engine is modified but flawed, the environments are far superior to those experienced by franchises with more clout. (Sorry, call of duty.)

Also, at the end of the campaign is a little thank you from 343 to the gamers who follow Halo. Overall, it's the small and subtle things that count and there are plenty of them to make this game feel like one of the best Halo games produced with enough differences to consider it something new and polished.
  79. Nov 20, 2012
    Halo is just awesome ... and Halo 4 really sets the bar for where this genre should go next. Amazing stuff. There are certainly things it could do better ... but, yeah, it's really, really good.
  80. Nov 19, 2012
    Its very seldom that a game gets redone with this kind of shine! You can tell that 343 really put there heart and soul into Halo 4!! So lets get right to it! GRAPHIX = 10; The Graphix are the best for any shooter to date on console!! Everything is Modeled Beautifully and the style of the levels online and offline is top notch right down to the smallest detail!! Everything even littleIts very seldom that a game gets redone with this kind of shine! You can tell that 343 really put there heart and soul into Halo 4!! So lets get right to it! GRAPHIX = 10; The Graphix are the best for any shooter to date on console!! Everything is Modeled Beautifully and the style of the levels online and offline is top notch right down to the smallest detail!! Everything even little things like elevators and doors feels alive, even the new guns, you will know what I mean when you see it all! GAMEPLAY = 10; It is kind of the same old Halo. That said, it should be! Halo is a timeless classic that does not need too much change! There are plenty of new weapon's thrown into the multi-player mix to keep things interesting for a long time to come, Little things like not letting grenades drop when a player is killed changes the dynamic of the game quite a bit. This is definitely for the better!! You don't walk into a room full of dead guys and an endless supply of grenades to toss at incoming players! So far the new guns all feel balanced so far! The Campaign is done very nicely ...the story is totally engrossing and keeps you wanting to see what is going to happen next! As I had said b4 the whole game feels alive and never really gets stale! There are tons of new enemies and lvl's to shoot up with new guns!! MUSIC/SOUND EFX = 9; Very Halo! Very Suspenseful when needed! Everything seems to have a purpose and place and it also gives you that feeling that everything in the game is living and breathing! All of the Guns have been redone, everything from the sword to the BR has a different sound and almost different feel! I'm not sure if I like all of sounds to all of the old guns yet, its taking some getting use to, and it has thrown me off a few times in the beginning! But over all Everything still has that feeling of love and dedication from 343 and only time will truly tell if something is off truly. CONTROLS = 8; This is still where I wish some of the other halos would have given us a little more choice as to what buttons do what. You still have to find a preset controller setting that works for you, because there is still no custom config to the controller! I do prefer the recon setting so I at least have settled for something, but having to settle is not something I wanted to have to do! Over all the controls do work fine and they are useable! It just might be something of a decision maker for some people and might turn some people off a bit. This is also why I gave the game a 9 instead of a 10. REPLAY = 10; Halo has always had a ton of re-playability, yea after you beat the campaign you can go back through co op or with different skulls turned off and on. You can go back through on different difficulties but the story remains the same and so do the battles for the most part. The AI does change the way it fights on different difficulties and can really cause problems that being said. Multiplayer will get new map packs as it always does and its always a blast to play online multiplayer. There is a new mode that gives you weekly scheduled programs with more story and more game play that keep co op and single player exciting and fresh! Over all I think that the single player and co op is the best since Halo CE!! The story and feel of it is awe inspiring! Multiplayer is great and gets a lot of new things to play with and try out! The weekly free story updates should keep the Halo Universe rolling on until the next installment! OVER ALL = 9; This should be up for game of the year!! Yes I will say it is that good! A must have for anyone who really likes Halo and FPS fans alike ...unless your just a stubborn spec ops geek! ;p Expand
  81. Nov 19, 2012
    Let me first confess, that this is my first Halo. I have played combat evolved, but i was never extremely hardcore about the series. Everyone is reviewing after having extensive experience with the game, so this might be refreshing coming from someone fairly new to the series. I would just like to say I think this game is amazing. The multiplayer(which is all I've been doing) seemsLet me first confess, that this is my first Halo. I have played combat evolved, but i was never extremely hardcore about the series. Everyone is reviewing after having extensive experience with the game, so this might be refreshing coming from someone fairly new to the series. I would just like to say I think this game is amazing. The multiplayer(which is all I've been doing) seems extremely balanced. No guns seem overpowering. I like that if you are being attacked, you do not immediately die, but yet have a chance to turn around and defend yourself. There are no "unfair" armor abilities. The maps are done very well, and although somewhat limited, they are never boring. The graphics look just beautiful. Visually, nothing is cluttered. Everything has a sleek look about it. I think, if you just want to have a good time, and take the game as it is, 343 has done a wonderful job. Expand
  82. Nov 20, 2012
    Halo your doing it right. What a fantastic game!!! The best graphics in a console FPS period. Killzone 2 looked just as amazing, just lacked COLOR. A story mode that finaly lives up to Halo: CE!!! Don't think about it just BUY IT. The thing I love about Halo is you pay for what you get unlike COD. Halo always changes and isn't the same game every year. Halo does share a lot ofHalo your doing it right. What a fantastic game!!! The best graphics in a console FPS period. Killzone 2 looked just as amazing, just lacked COLOR. A story mode that finaly lives up to Halo: CE!!! Don't think about it just BUY IT. The thing I love about Halo is you pay for what you get unlike COD. Halo always changes and isn't the same game every year. Halo does share a lot of elements with COD now. But it still feels like Halo thank god. Expand
  83. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is excellent. Singleplayer: The story is lacklustre (but has real potential for sequels) and those flying things are a pain in this ass. Those two minor gripes aside, I loved the new campaign! Spartan Ops: It's revolutionary. It keeps the story going, offers great co-op content, and is a fun alternative to previous Firefight modes. Multiplayer: I love it. It seems like theThis game is excellent. Singleplayer: The story is lacklustre (but has real potential for sequels) and those flying things are a pain in this ass. Those two minor gripes aside, I loved the new campaign! Spartan Ops: It's revolutionary. It keeps the story going, offers great co-op content, and is a fun alternative to previous Firefight modes. Multiplayer: I love it. It seems like the majority of problems people have with it stem from the game being different than Halo 2. Since I never played much Halo 2, this isn't a problem for me! It brings modern standards to Halo, and keep it fun and exciting. However, I wish there wasn't so much overlap between different guns. I rarely find myself switching from the DMR to any other weapon. Expand
  84. Nov 21, 2012
    Great game, not really as good as Halo: CE and Halo 2 were for their day but that's just my opinion.
    For 343's first game, even if it hasmost of the game already made it is still a decent effort.
    Campaign was fun and entertaining and the graphics are great. Unfortunately the down side to it for me was they tried to put to much CoD influence into the Multiplayer. Microsoft just because
    Campaign was fun and entertaining and the graphics are great.
    Unfortunately the down side to it for me was they tried to put to much CoD influence into the Multiplayer. Microsoft just because it is popular doesn't mean you need to emulate it.
    Biggest gripe for me was they showed Master Chiefs eyes.
  85. Nov 22, 2012
    The game is good. The singleplayer whilst missed out on some good opportunites **boss battles**, was fun to go through and only the 3 tower type of game missions were boring. A part of the story reminded me of 24 (when a super soldier has saved the world mulitple times and you havent done anything of that magnitude maybe just take his word for it and help the dude out). I wanted to seeThe game is good. The singleplayer whilst missed out on some good opportunites **boss battles**, was fun to go through and only the 3 tower type of game missions were boring. A part of the story reminded me of 24 (when a super soldier has saved the world mulitple times and you havent done anything of that magnitude maybe just take his word for it and help the dude out). I wanted to see brutes and some larger enemies to take on. The guns sound and feel awesome well done to 343. Would love some diversity in gameplay though, such as a much slower mission that tries to put you on edge. Overall the game is awesome, well worth buying and playing. Its a fun game and the multiplayer and singleplayer will keep people going back to the 360 to play more. Expand
  86. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is incredible. Halo 4's multiplayer is the best that the series has ever offered, with exciting matchmaking and the ability to customize your loadouts to suit your play style. The campaign has an excellent story, fleshing out the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana more than ever before. My only real criticisms of Halo 4 are that the campaign doesn't provide a very wideThis game is incredible. Halo 4's multiplayer is the best that the series has ever offered, with exciting matchmaking and the ability to customize your loadouts to suit your play style. The campaign has an excellent story, fleshing out the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana more than ever before. My only real criticisms of Halo 4 are that the campaign doesn't provide a very wide variety of objectives, and I still prefer Firefight to Spartan Ops. But otherwise the game is fantastic, and well worth the money for both new and old Halo fans. Expand
  87. Nov 25, 2012
    I hate Halo. I've hated Halo for a long time. For me, Halo represents the beginning of mainstream gaming. As more and more people line up for their Halo or CoD releases, a piece of orginiality dies within the gaming industry, which is now dominated by megacorps out to make as much money as possible. (nothing wrong with trying to make money, but they don't seem to care about the qualityI hate Halo. I've hated Halo for a long time. For me, Halo represents the beginning of mainstream gaming. As more and more people line up for their Halo or CoD releases, a piece of orginiality dies within the gaming industry, which is now dominated by megacorps out to make as much money as possible. (nothing wrong with trying to make money, but they don't seem to care about the quality of the game.)

I could never attatched to Master Cheif, and I didnt' care about the overarching story. Just hated it. Didn't even play ODST or Reach. Halo 4 gets released, and I'm given a copy by a friend. For a laugh, I load it up, thinking I'll hate it like I hated all the others. 7 hours later I put down the controller having finished the campaign. I may have to go back and give the other games in the series a chance, because Halo 4 has blown me away! Graphically it is gorgeous, the sound design is probably the best of the year. The gameplay is quick and intuitive, but the story.... oh man the story is what has guaranteed a purchase of Halo 5 for me. 343 Studios should be commended for taking a faceless soldier lacking any basic personality, and using sublte (yes subtle in a Halo game) story telling, allowing the player to actually connect to Master Cheif and Cortana. It was brilliant... probably the best story in a game this year, barring maybe The Last Story. Multiplayer is great fun, and Spartan Ops are also great. Don't listen to Halo haters. I know... I used to be one.
  88. Nov 26, 2012
    Halo 4 is an amazing game, and with a great campaign and multiplayer behind it, there's no doubt that I think the game is an exhilarating experience for any Halo fan, new and old.

The campaign surrounds Cortana more than Master Chief this time around, giving the Halo series a flip on perspective. Cortana has a rare disease, which is running herself into insanity, giving the mission to Master Chief to solve her issues. The campaign is a great experience, which I think everyone who hasn't tried it should definitely give it a go. With a fantastic layout of each mission and a great balance of huge fights and small gun fights to banshee hijacking opportunities, it makes Halo 4's campaign the greatest Halo campaign in its series, if not one of the best on Xbox 360.

The graphics, are as great as ever. Master Chief looks stunning, the guns look realistic, and the locations never see to amaze me, because they blow me away. One thing that I found in the game which created a level of immersion that no other game can give you is the small pieces of the helmet that you can see when playing as Master Chief in the campaign, unfortunately this doesn't continue into the multiplayer, leaving the immersivness as good as it always was, sadly not taking it to the level the campaign has achieved.

Multiplayer couldn't be better... Than CoD... But it is... In some ways. Graphics far beat CoD, full stop, but I still am not getting that feeling of "The game was amazing, I need to play another". Or "I will play betters than that next round." Unfortunately I only find myself playing Halo 4's multiplayer for the daily challenges, I will play it, complete the challenges, then play maybe one or two more games and then swap to my playstation for Black Ops 2 or Borderlands 2. Although I have to say that the multiplayer is top notch in perspective of its customisation, spartan abilities, weapon load outs and great map designs.

The spartan ops is one extra which I feel is a very good extra for the game and props to 343 for introducing some new style of gameplay. The forge world, as much as it is good, can be as repetitive as it always was and gets boring quickly as those awesome levels which you see are too hard to make by yourself. Verdict:
    Halo 4 is probably one of the greatest gaming sequels in history, winning me over with the enhanced graphics and the challenging Spartan Ops. Throwing me overboard with joy with an excellent Campaign with big time events and making me feel good about completing challenges in multiplayer. But not enough to make me play the game all day and night.

A force to be reckoned with in 2012.
  89. Nov 27, 2012
    What... a... game. Considering a new studio developed Halo 4, this is stunning. Kudos to 343 Industries. They have just gained my support. Wonderful multiplayer like always, and the single player is fun and a great challenge on Legendary. The achievements are well set-out and they game is fabulous in each and every way. Halo is the King of Online FPS, this is coming from a COD Fanboy whoWhat... a... game. Considering a new studio developed Halo 4, this is stunning. Kudos to 343 Industries. They have just gained my support. Wonderful multiplayer like always, and the single player is fun and a great challenge on Legendary. The achievements are well set-out and they game is fabulous in each and every way. Halo is the King of Online FPS, this is coming from a COD Fanboy who has been playing COD since the first on PC. This time though, BO2 can do one, Halo 4 is the one. Expand
  90. Nov 28, 2012
    Overall great game and i love the weapons although the campagin is short who gives a damn the multiplayer matters the most in games today its more like a 8.5
  91. CMM
    Nov 30, 2012
    Halo 4 is fun, it has problems and glitches (my campaign progress was reset and it was solo legendary so I had to do it again) but overall it's a great game. I wish spartan ops was better and they had firefight.
  92. Dec 1, 2012
    343 industries has delivered. This game is outstanding in many ways. The graphics, for example, has stepped up gigantically. There is a clear contrast between the graphics of Halo: Reach and Halo 4. And it's Halo 4 that has the better side of the contrasting graphics even though both games are based on the same engine. The sound throughout the game is amazing and you can tell the time and343 industries has delivered. This game is outstanding in many ways. The graphics, for example, has stepped up gigantically. There is a clear contrast between the graphics of Halo: Reach and Halo 4. And it's Halo 4 that has the better side of the contrasting graphics even though both games are based on the same engine. The sound throughout the game is amazing and you can tell the time and effort that 343 industries has put into the sound on Halo 4. The gameplay is great and the AI are definitely much more sophisticated than in any Halo game before. The multiplayer gameplay is also great, the maps are well designed, the forerunner weapons are brilliantly brought into the game yet some gametypes are missing such as VIP, One Flag, Race, Infection, (this was replaced with Flood, of which isn't as good in my opinion). This has a downside to the fun Forge custom game maps that people make. The ranking system could also have reverted to the Halo 3 1-50 skill ranking yet that is believed to be brought in with a major update in January. Overall the multiplayer should definitely keep you playing for many weeks, months or even years. Spartan Ops is a mode which contains small missions which get updated every week (5 missions per week) and you can complete these solo or for up to 4 players. The best part? Every week it's free! Forge is also much easier to build yet there isn't a large scale envionment like Forge World on Halo: Reach. Overall I am loving Halo 4 and I will continue to do I'm sure. Graphics - 9.5
    Sound - 9
    Gameplay - 9
  93. Dec 2, 2012
    I love this game. The graphics are immense and the campaign is also brilliant. Multiplayer has brilliant maps and guns. Ordnance is a feature I love and forge is great for building anything you like, the magnets really help.
  94. Mar 8, 2013
    Graphics:10///GAMEPLAY:10///Story:7///Soundtracks:10
    ----------9 masterpiece---------------
    a must have game for the Xbox,if you did not play the series before(like me),i highly recommend to watch all the cut scenes on YouTube to be familiar with the universe of Halo. the guns are absolotly amazing,vihcels are a little bit buggy,but also cool.best graphics for a seven generation consol
    Graphics:10///GAMEPLAY:10///Story:7///Soundtracks:10
    ----------9 masterpiece---------------
    the guns are absolotly amazing,vihcels are a little bit buggy,but also cool.best graphics for a seven generation consol ,especially the faces of the characters are so real.the music is fantastic...
    there is only one big PROBLEM in this game,be sure to read this:NO AUTO SAVE IN CAMPAIGN,not even a save menu,checkpoints are not saved unless you press start and choose save and quit,i lost three missions when i shutdown my Xbox.
    also the story plot is not up to the game,but it is good.
  95. Dec 5, 2012
    Score- 10.0 (Having trouble with Metacritic's Score system)

Score- 10.0 (Having trouble with Metacritic's Score system)

Halo 4 is an epic science fiction tale if there ever was one. It is a superbly crafted game that fully captures the essence of the Halo universe left by Bungie Studios. Bungie's successor in developing the Halo franchise, 343 Industries are clearly people who love Halo this makes the game all te better. 343 has put in tons of improvements into this game, and whether it be storytelling, graphics, sound, this propels Halo 4 above and beyond my expectations, making it one of the best games of this year, if not one of the best in this generation. The story is fantastic and is possibly the best in the Halo franchise to date. It harkened back to Combat Evolved, where Master Chief an Cortana discover a strange planet an encounter new enemies, unlike anything seen before. In Halo 4, the Chief and Cortana discover the Forerunner planet of Requiem, which is filled with brand new lush environments in which the game takes place. These environments are beautiful and fun to play around in. We also meet the Prometheans, who are a nice fresh enemy group that challenges your skills and tactics. The story here is mostly focused on the relationship between Cortana and Master Chief, which creates an emotional attachment to the characters that hasn't been seen in a Halo fame before. You will definitely feel the emotional impact by the end of this game. The graphics have surpassed anything I thought was capable of the Xbox 360. It is definitely up there with the top visual games of the generation, and the CGI in cutscenes shines. The sound has been completely overhauled. The arsenal of weapons at your disposal is phenomenal and all of these weapons sound fierce in their own right. The guns pack a heavy punch upon firing, creating an incredibly satisfying moment when you obliterate someone with an Incineration Cannon, or mow someone down with the Assault Rifle (which isn't half bad in this game). The multiplayer has been adjusted to be similar to games such as Call of Duty or Battlefield; and that's not a bad thing. You can now create custom loadouts, which creates the tactical class building feel of other games, while still maintaining the traditional Halo feel. Power weapons are still scattered around, but they are able to be seen on the player's HUD, making them a hotspot for intense firefights. Also added to the class building system are abilities (returning from Reach) which areuch more balanced this time around, and "perk-esque" traits (such as unlimited sprint, faster reload and weapon swap, etc.). This is a welcome addition and allows more variety in the gameplay. The gameplay of multiplayer still feels like traditional Halo, but with these improvements, it feels even better. Replacing Firefight mode from ODST and Reach is Spartan Ops, which is episodic missions, accompanied by a CGI cutscene story. Each Episode composes of 5 chapters, but they are very short (a whole episode takes about 1-1.5 hours on Legendary). They're fun diversions, albeit minimal ones. Still they add longevity to the game, which is already sprouting with it. There are some minor annoyances however. The jump from Normal to Heroic and legendary difficulties in Halo 4 is large and very hard. Hali's legendary mode has never been forgiving, but Halo 4's difficulty spikes are extreme. While this, and the removal of Firefight make for slight annoyances they can't damage hiw good this game is. Halo 4 is not a perfect game. There never has, and never will be a perfect game. But Halo 4 is probably the closest we'll get for this generation of consoles. It may not be perfect, but is so, damn close.
  96. Dec 7, 2012
    I'm only giving this a 9 to pull this game out of an injust 6.8 user rating... While I felt it was more along the lines of a high 7 to 8. Halo is by far my favorite franchise, it tells the best story I've ever heard, with the smoothest gameplay, most stunning visuals and ground-breaking musical scores... The scores. That's where MY score comes in. I hold Halo to such a high standard thatI'm only giving this a 9 to pull this game out of an injust 6.8 user rating... While I felt it was more along the lines of a high 7 to 8. Halo is by far my favorite franchise, it tells the best story I've ever heard, with the smoothest gameplay, most stunning visuals and ground-breaking musical scores... The scores. That's where MY score comes in. I hold Halo to such a high standard that once Marty left the party I was legitimately scared. Turns out I was right... Neil Davidge does not show this game justice, and while his musical score was quite good it can't touch Marty's legacy with a 40 metre pole.

During the entire campaign, as soon as I started to feel the thrill of past Halo's rush through me, I would cut myself short and wonder where the amazing music was. Then I would realize that Marty is gone, and slump back into my couch, apathetically racing a ghost through a wonderfully designed level.

That is my great critique as a Halo fan; however the rest of the campaign was not perfect, not even on par with Reach in my opinion. I disliked the poor character development of the captain of the UNSC Infinity, I disliked the feeling that 343 rushed to tell a story (where can they even go with Halo 5?) and above all I disliked the Diadact. He was most certainly the most poorly developed villain in the Halo universe.

Multiplayer wise, however, I was blown away. The fact that they could revolutionize the good old Halo experience by adding weapon drops, new (BALANCED!!!) armour abilities, and custom classes which aren't overpowered; by this I'm referring to something along the lines of COD, where if you want to play with the best you need a silenced UMP, or a Type 95. The way they allowed players to customize their classes was FAIR; not better, not worse, just different, to respond to different situations.

My only critiques I have of the multiplayer aspect of the game are spawn times, the Mantis, and starting grenades. All of these can easily be modified later, which is why I don't feel they are fundamental gameplay errors. I feel that instant spawns is taking the Halo out of Halo, as we now have problems of "reverse spawn camping" (killing the player whom killed you, as you can go after him instantly). The Mantis needs to be nerfed a little, since (as any banshee pilot can attest to) a single fly-by is fatal, and there is no chance in hell you are able to take down a mantis from the sky. Lastly, spawning grenades. This is the only problem I have with customizable loadouts, as it can turn simple infantry into anti-vehicle nightmares; right from the spawn. There's few things more frustrating than loading up a warthog at the beginning of a match, knowing (falsely) that the only plausible oppositions are enemy vehicles, only to be stuck by a few stragglers instantly.

This is my review, which doubles as a rant. Hope it was helpful and that you enjoyed it. Cheers :)
  97. Mar 25, 2013
    Halo 4 brings back the ultimate Halo game experience with awesomeness and intensity. Halo fans will be pleased.
  98. Dec 14, 2012
    Although I rated this game a 9 out of 10, which means its an amazing game. If I were to compare it to Halo 3 I would give it a 6. BUT as a new company with a new direction its heading, I think they did an amazing job. First off if you are buying this expecting it to be like halo 3, don't its the polar opposite of halo 3 which in a way sucks. But as its own game it is amazing, the campaignAlthough I rated this game a 9 out of 10, which means its an amazing game. If I were to compare it to Halo 3 I would give it a 6. BUT as a new company with a new direction its heading, I think they did an amazing job. First off if you are buying this expecting it to be like halo 3, don't its the polar opposite of halo 3 which in a way sucks. But as its own game it is amazing, the campaign needed 1 more level in the middle to make the transition better, the campaigns ending (NO SPOILERS) is too embarrassing as a halo fan, although it is a really good ending it was extremely pathetic (you'll know what I mean when you beat it) The multi player is a 80% cod clone but still halo. It has specilizations, support upgrades, and armor abilities (3 "perks" like cod) sprint is with everyone and needs some weapon balancing but that can be fixed. With halo 3 having about 7 flawless maps (guardian, highground, pit, snowbound, avalanche, Last resort etc) and halo 4 having 2 (Exile, Haven) the maps aren't something to brag about, ALTHOUGH the maps are nice and exciting they aren't on par with halo 3 maps. With that said lets move onto the gamemodes, these following complaints will most likely be fixed soon so thats why it doesnt effect the score. But there are very few modes for online, no multi team, no rumble pit, no assault, no one flag, no "fun" modes like action sack from halo 3. But there are great modes added such as Dominion, Regicide (the only ffa mode atm) Extraction etc. With halo 4 being Big Team focused and having valhalla being remade there is no shortage of big team maps and gameplay, but with there being only 2 good small maps (haven, adrift) it lacks what halo 3 had that sense of (lets go **** around on guardian with snipers. Haven just doesnt cut it vs guardian. In ctf being able to wield a pistol while carrying the flag is stupid, and not having to HAVE the flag at base to score is stupid. My biggest complaint about this game, and this is half of the reason halo 4 is only a 9/10 not 10/10 is the forge. Oh man oh man this forge is 100% terrible, the features are nice, but the 3 small maps are absolutely trash, small spaces, tons of barriers, restrictions to the max. Forge world was massive, and had about 9 great areas for forging, with the 3 maps you get a crappy small "forge world" type space but it resemble the pinnacle rock from forge world... THATS IT its that small, the space one is the only viable map to forge on, but with unwanted holes in the ground, and an unremovable building it still isnt that great. Also one of the things they bragged about with forge was that it looked different then reachs. NO IT DOESNT instead of having all silver pieces we have all white pieces with shadows. The magnet thing is nice the gravity zones are amazingly cool, the playspaces are trash certain affinity did a horrendous job with forge. Now that I got that off my chest I will say this, although it looks like I have 9000 complaints about this game, I gave it a 9 because its still halo at its core, and thats what we want as gamers, that and most of the stuff I mentioned are fixable as in game type issues weapon balancing etc. But the forge maps im sorry to say but we probably wont get a sandbox type map as dlc in the future which sucks. But overall this game is outstanding despite the sucky forge and 1 level too short campaign with a predictable ending. If you are a ginormous fan of halo 3 and expect this game to be as fun, I'd say pass because this isnt "classic" halo its halo 2.5 (reach being 2.0) it adds alot of features, takes a couple out and overall wont appeal to the oldschool halo fan, it appeals to the casual gamer who wants to mess around and have fun (like me) I hope you read this review and took it with an open mind. In summary this games campaign needed one more level in the middle (hard transition), not for the oldschool halo fan, has stellar multiplayer for the casual gamer, needs a few maps similar to guardian/pit and a sandbox remake and this game will be a perfect 10. Thanks for reading. Expand
  99. Dec 18, 2012
    Ah, Halo, how I love you.
    Master Chief has returned in the new installment of the explosive blockbuster franchise, and I (like so many) am as happy as Larry to see that this game is so fantastic.
    Ah, Halo, how I love you.
    Graphically, this is one of the best looking games on the Xbox 360, and in the first cutscene, I did mistake the CGI for reality. Honestly, it's that good-looking. Although textures are sometimes a little on the dodgy side, and explosion effects are rarely just not exciting enough, this is undoubtedly a graphical triumph.
    The sound design is almost flat-out the best you will ever experience. Buy a good pair of headphones and you will drool at the sound of the DMR punching holes in enemies' faces. I actually start shouting "Pew, pew, pew!" in some sections of the campaign, in which voice acting (for most characters) is brilliant. 343 Industries took a leap of faith with an entirely new musical score, and let me tell you that on the way down, they grew a pair of wings and flew up high into the sky! The music sometimes doesn't complement the situation perfectly, but for the most part it was great.
    Let's think about the campaign for a second. This time around, I really began to care for Cortana and John 117 in a way that I never originally had before. Their bond grew so much stronger in the game, and it brought out who Master Chief really was, and what he thought of himself and others. Story-wise, this game is very memorable, with a good (if slightly under-explained) villain. Some of the secondary characters get lost in the thick of it, and the commander of the ship Infinity has some completely unjustified orders, which make you question his competence as the captain of the biggest human spaceship ever. These minor gripes do not affect the overall product, which is a beautiful culmination of everything Halo. A saddening (but definitely satisfying) ending ties things up perfectly, making this one of the best stories ever told in a Halo game. Gameplay-wise, the campaign retains the sandbox mechanics of previous Halos, but only widens the possibilities with the new enemies: Prometheans. These are fun new enemies to fight, as they employ new tactics to keep you on you toes: Crawlers climb around, pounding the player with light arms fire, Knights bring the heavy weapons and blast though Covenant and UNSC personnel alike, and Watchers (spawned by Knights) float about, spawning more Knights and Crawlers, and giving your forcefield something to think about. After a while, the campaign begins to get a tad repetitive, but the objectives can differ enough for it to stay almost perfect throughout, with the last mission putting a wonderful spin on the classic Halo Warthog run. The campaign is, in every sense of the word, incredible.
    A welcome change in Halo 4 is to the multiplayer, which allows players to create their own custom classes, with various weapons, armour abilities and armour mods. This creates the fear of unfairness in multiplayer, but that fear is crushed by how balanced the game seems. Gameplay is now faster-paced, with sprinting now a default for all players, letting the maps get bigger and bigger- some too big. Most maps in this game are enjoyable to play on, but the good-old medium-sized maps have almost completely disappeared, spare two or three that you could class as such. New gametypes arrive, however, such as Dominion, Regicide and Infinity Slayer, which bring the best kind of change to multiplayer, whilst catering to the sizes of maps and mixing things up perfectly. Altogether, multiplayer is wonderful.
    And now, the newcomer: Spartan Ops, an episodic series of missions, updated weekly for insane cooperative play, but replacing the much-loved Firefight. It's great, but there are several flaws. The maps are recycled several times (but are used for different objectives), the story is very basic and hardly exists outside of the eye-popping CGI cutscenes, and some of the characters are completely unlikeable, though to counter that, there are some that you'll like a lot. This was a very bold statement for such an anticipated game, and, overall, it is a blast to play with people online as well as friends.
    Forge remains relatively untouched, but with new (if smaller) Forge environments, making the possibilities for map design even more exciting.
    That just about wraps the review up. This game is an absolute must-buy for all Xbox 360 owners, as it pushes the system to its limits, delivering one of the best games on consoles!
  100. Dec 25, 2012
    My hats off to 343, they managed to craft a unique but classically feeling halo title. Though it is not perfect, as it has minor weapon balancing issues, as well as forge not having as many improvements as it should. It has become more modern and fast paced, but at the same time juxtaposes this with old school shooter mechanics and does this so extremely well that fears of it becoming justMy hats off to 343, they managed to craft a unique but classically feeling halo title. Though it is not perfect, as it has minor weapon balancing issues, as well as forge not having as many improvements as it should. It has become more modern and fast paced, but at the same time juxtaposes this with old school shooter mechanics and does this so extremely well that fears of it becoming just another shooter are completely extinguished upon becoming an experienced player. The campaign story is fantastic but quick time events take you out of the mood sometimes just for cool screen effect but it doesn't detract a single think from the gameplay itself or its incredible story that's told. Spartan ops is an intriguing new mode that packs a lot of fun in a 15 minute level but suffers from reused environments though this is said to less common in later episodes, which by the way are weekly dlc. This mode is good but has much potential to be better. The multiplayer is one of the best in the series, second only to halo 3. As said before, it is more modern as it has load outs and perks. The perks don't break the game in any way and in fact only seem to help you work your way around the map your currently playing on. Though games such as cod have perks, halo does it slightly different in that they are just for style, with a few exceptions, such as dexterity which speeds up reload speeds. The game has also added random ordinance drops, which is a new spin on the classic halo tradition of finding weapons on the map, also tied to this is the personal ordinance, which at first may seem like a cod rip off, think again because instead of getting a bomber to fly over and get kills for you, you get a choice between 3 random choices of weapons grenades and power ups, all you need is 4 kills, thats it its not really a streak. As a whole personal ordinance is a great new addition and is perfectly original. Once again halo 4 is a great game that has old school shooter roots mixed with modern mechanics in its multiplayer and has evolved much since reach, while staying true to its own style rather than becoming a cod clone. It's definitely a must by for halo fans. Oh and check out halo 4 forward unto dawn, which is a live action 5 parts web series about the beginning of the human covenant war within the halo universe Expand

1. Hyper Magazine