8.1

1. Nov 15, 2011
    There you have it gamers and gents, "Halo: Combat Evolved". The only game that beats COD to the death, only back with better graphics. Although all of this could have been a DLC, What more did you expect? Happy B day HalO!!!
  2. Nov 15, 2011

Anyways, for Halo CE fans this game is a 100. It's the game we love, with the faults we love, now with online co-op. Nothing gets better than that. I get lost on Pillar of Autumn

I get lost on Pillar of Autumn and the Maw every time.
  3. Mar 9, 2012
    Halo Anniversary, to me, is the Halo game that is the best. It is a remastered edition of a classic game, whose only drawback would have been its old graphics. This remake is a good game with great graphics, and leaves me in anticipation for Halo 4!
  4. Mar 13, 2012
    Halo: CE still has one of of the best campaigns of any game I've ever played, and 343i was smart to not alter it in a serious way. Instead, they have simply improved it: they've updated the graphics, fine-tuned the audio, and have thrown in some new hidden items. Add online co-op to the mix, and this updated disc is well worth the lower-than-average price tag. It would have been nice toHalo: CE still has one of of the best campaigns of any game I've ever played, and 343i was smart to not alter it in a serious way. Instead, they have simply improved it: they've updated the graphics, fine-tuned the audio, and have thrown in some new hidden items. Add online co-op to the mix, and this updated disc is well worth the lower-than-average price tag. It would have been nice to see them do something more with multiplayer than just a Reach add-on, but beggars can't be choosers. Expand
  5. Feb 11, 2012
    A solid game but also a missed opportunity on almost every front. To call this a remake would be, well, incorrect. This is the exact same Halo we all enjoyed back in the days of the first xbox, just with shiny new graphics. In fact this game actually looks better than Halo Reach, with more of an artistic design and heaps more depth in the environments. But, this game is simply the originalA solid game but also a missed opportunity on almost every front. To call this a remake would be, well, incorrect. This is the exact same Halo we all enjoyed back in the days of the first xbox, just with shiny new graphics. In fact this game actually looks better than Halo Reach, with more of an artistic design and heaps more depth in the environments. But, this game is simply the original with a new graphical overlay which is a massive shame as an update to all aspects of the game would have been brilliant. Why not do an overhaul of enemy animations so they are as fluent and up-to-date as Reach? Why not tweak the story a bit so it links in better with all the sequels and the built upon Halo lore? (well actually the new consoles were a nice touch, but hardly substantial). Overall I was just a bit disappointed that 343/Bungie didn't do anything more than take the original game and smother it in a new graphical overlay. Still, it's the original Halo, which is and always will be a solid shooter, so even though there's nothing new here, it's still a joy to play. Expand
  6. Feb 7, 2012
    Halo on the Xbox deserves every bit of praise that it receives. It was a great game and has actually stood strong through the test of time. You've played this before, so there's no use in reviewing the actual gameplay. The graphics were updated nicely and at anytime during the game, you can hit the back button to view the classic style. I loved Halo, it was the Goldeneye for the XboxHalo on the Xbox deserves every bit of praise that it receives. It was a great game and has actually stood strong through the test of time. You've played this before, so there's no use in reviewing the actual gameplay. The graphics were updated nicely and at anytime during the game, you can hit the back button to view the classic style. I loved Halo, it was the Goldeneye for the Xbox to me. So why did I give it a 7? It's because the coop is broken for many people. The lag is atrocious and my coop partner actually got motion sickness. Split screen and system link work fine but for some reason, they can't fix the online coop. Great game but if coop is important to you then I'd think twice. Expand
  7. Feb 13, 2012
    I can understand how this might have seemed like a good idea on paper: Give the original a new coat of paint, spruce things up a bit and throw in a few more features to justify the price point. However, without going all-out to completely re-make the game, the improvements contrast sharply with the dated mechanics, level design and yes, even graphics, which while much better than theI can understand how this might have seemed like a good idea on paper: Give the original a new coat of paint, spruce things up a bit and throw in a few more features to justify the price point. However, without going all-out to completely re-make the game, the improvements contrast sharply with the dated mechanics, level design and yes, even graphics, which while much better than the original, just don't hold up to modern standards. It's an admirable attempt at breathing new life into a great game (and it is still great), but something like this Anniversary edition could have been just as easily thrown together by a mod community, because that's what this game feels like. If you've never played halo 1, you should give this a go, just remember that it was originally released more than a decade ago. And if you have played halo 1, then just remember it fondly, and move along. Nothing new to see here. Expand
  8. Mar 9, 2012
    Presentation: 10/10 How do you honor a game that single handedly put the Xbox on the map, spawned countless clones and revolutionized the FPS genre? Remake it to look, sound, and feel like a brand new game while keeping all of the things that make the original great, intact. Weather your a casual Halo fan or just a fan of the genre you owe it to yourself to see where modern First-personPresentation: 10/10 How do you honor a game that single handedly put the Xbox on the map, spawned countless clones and revolutionized the FPS genre? Remake it to look, sound, and feel like a brand new game while keeping all of the things that make the original great, intact. Weather your a casual Halo fan or just a fan of the genre you owe it to yourself to see where modern First-person shooters as we know them today got there start.

Gameplay: 9/10 It's not a bad thing that Bungie has taken the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" approach to developing every Halo game since the original. Halo:CEA feels exactly how it did ten years ago. For better or worse, nothing has changed. What does that mean? That means that you will wish you could sprint on many occasion and will want to memorize where health packs are located before tackling the higher difficulties. This also means all of the powerful Halo:CE weapons return as well. All of the weapons feel as they should and enemies aren't the bullet sponges they seem to have evolved into in the sequels. Movement is what you would expect from a Halo title especially if you've played the latest title, Halo: Reach. The game-play as a whole is very solid, if not stretched a little thin at times.

Graphics: 9/10 Artistically, Halo:CE always felt like the odd man out. Every other game was in sync as far as art style was concerned. It was as if Bungie didn't know what they wanted the environments of a Halo ring to look like in 2001. 343 Industry fixes this in Halo:CEA. Taking art assets from Halo 3 and Reach, 343 has done a fine job at helping this game to look in sync with the rest of the Halo Universe.
    Running on top of the pre-existing graphics engine does bring the quality down, only in one spot though. The character models. These high detail models need to match the old models geometry that exists underneath them. That means you get characters that look great when standing still but mouth movement and facial expressions just look funny in an almost buggy sort of way. Nothing that isn't forgettable but it's a shame they couldn't have at least re-made the cut-scenes from scratch considering you can't do an on the fly graphics change in the middle of them. Oh did I mention you could change the graphics back to how they looked in 2001 at the push of a button? It's awesome!

Sound: 10/10 I was nervous when I heard they were re-recording all of the music and sound effects for Halo:CEA and for good reason. After 10 years, I know what Halo sounds like. The buzz of a plasma pistol, the pounding discharge of the sniper rifle, and the epic music that starts up as you make the long trek through a snowy battlefield. No matter how little they changed, it would not be for the better. Then I played the game, and was pleasantly surprised. Skywalker Orchestra did a great job at recreating what you heard in the original without trying to improve on it in any way other than improved sound quality. What this provides is an audio experience to match the visual splendor with the option to toggle all the audio back to the way it was in 2001 in the options menu. Like you would ever want to. 343 took great strides to make Halo:CEA feel like a 2011 FPS and it shows in the sound more than anything else. The character voices are just as you remember and fit in very well with the new audio.

Value: 10/10 You get arguably the best campaign in the Halo series, new collectables in the form of skulls, terminals, and achievements. Multiplayer offers six new multiplayer maps and a new firefight map to play. If you have already been playing Reach for a year than the multiplayer offering may feel more like a map pack rather than a full fledged multiplayer option but with 343 releasing playlists that very closely emulate the Halo:CE experience in the Reach Engine there is plenty of reason to assemble old school Halo Party's for some late night fun. For the true Halo fan it's a must buy and the price is a great deal.
    But you know, James... Goldeneye was always better.
  9. Nov 17, 2011
    When i heard the news that Halo CE was being remade i was racked with nerves, fast forward to the last few seconds of the final level and consider those concerns obliterated. Clearly the focus here is technology updates coupled, in perfect harmony, with the pure Halo formula. The attention to detail is amazing given certain limitations with using 2 simultaneous game engines and is madeWhen i heard the news that Halo CE was being remade i was racked with nerves, fast forward to the last few seconds of the final level and consider those concerns obliterated. Clearly the focus here is technology updates coupled, in perfect harmony, with the pure Halo formula. The attention to detail is amazing given certain limitations with using 2 simultaneous game engines and is made many times more wonderful when combined with the ability to switch back and forth between old and new. Whilst i can count the amount of times i used the feature on both hands it is definitely a sight to behold seeing how far we've come in 10 years. The music, re worked and performed with clear respect by the Skywalker Orchestra not only gets you back in the mood as soon as those familiar Halo drums begin to beat, but also helps to make playing Anniversary a familiar yet new experience. Weapon sounds have been fine tuned and now firing the Assault rifle packs some serious punch. Of course our most beloved friend the Pistol is back and is as war winningly powerful as ever making me wonder why the entire UNSC wasn't equipped with them from the get go. Animations are tweaked in game with enemies still moving as they did back 10 years ago, which is evident if you are able to switch to classic mode in the heat of battle, however the focus here is on the cutscenes where characters act in a more fluid motion, if a little over dramatic at points. Facial animations are a bit weak and sometimes i found the voices to be out of synch with the mouths of the character but it didn't hurt my experience to a point of frustration. Character designs are in keeping with Halo Reach as UNSC Marines now bare the grey uniforms loaded with backpacks of gear to seem more like soldiers, and, to a degree, individuals. On a side note, and without spoiling anything significant, the Terminals scattered around Installation 04 offer a very special look into some Halo lore and even events that run parallel with the life of our Master Chief. From watching the videos from almost half of the Terminals around Halo, i am given the impression that 343 are very intent on spinning a yarn while still keeping players engaged at a gameplay level.

Aside from the inclusion of the Anniversary Map pack there is almost no multiplayer to speak of besides co op campaign. Whilst a portion of gamers out there would have loved the inclusion of multiplayer, especially if it was using the same dual engine of the story, they sadly will have to survive with Halo Reach. I was not surprised by this exclusion and, to be honest, story was why i purchased this game and story is what i got. Co op however is included and it is a blast, marching through the Covenant infested zones with a buddy on legendary, hearing the cries for help from friends desperate for ammo or health never gets old. My only request here would be that some form of matchmaking would have been nice given the popularity of the game.

Ultimately, with Halo CE Anniversary, i got what i payed for, the same brilliant FPS mixed with a wonderful story that follows our gaming icon Master Chief updated with all the wonderful technology that has been integrated into some of our most loved series outside of and including Halo. 343 Industries clearly cares a great deal about Halo and given the newly announced Halo 4 5 and 6 i a can safely say, through my eyes, that the series is in great hands. I am very excited to see what 343 can do from here on out.
  10. Nov 16, 2011
    First of all to the negative reviewers you make your own points irrelevant...it was the first Halo game in the series and to stay true to the mechanics from the original all they did was give it up to date HD graphics...so you can't complain about the gameplay since its from 2001 and you're obviously an idiot to do so...also don't mention that the game has no choice how to completeFirst of all to the negative reviewers you make your own points irrelevant...it was the first Halo game in the series and to stay true to the mechanics from the original all they did was give it up to date HD graphics...so you can't complain about the gameplay since its from 2001 and you're obviously an idiot to do so...also don't mention that the game has no choice how to complete objectives and then mention CoD in your defense because that is asinine and completely idiotic...this game pays homage to the original Halo that I had so much fun playing co-op campaign without getting up from my chair back when I was 14...game looks good, same campaign, can't really ask for much more...I still like Reach multiplayer and am fine with getting 7 updated maps from the original to play on...just kind of wish they included Sidewinder as one of them b/c I remember playing 4 player split screen on that map for hours...but you basically get a $15 map pack and a overhauled campaign from the original with new visuals, two engines running at once to allow you to move into classic mode and some kinect features for an extra 25 bucks...so what can you expect, I've supported Halo for the past 10 years and have always been fan so figured why not pick it up for $40 Expand
  11. Apr 6, 2012
    This was my first time playing all the way through Halo: Combat Evolved and I gotta say that this game really holds up. While some parts, seemed a little dated, I was blown away when I considered that this game actually came out 10 years ago! The ability to switch between the old graphics and the enhanced is just awesome! Controls are spot on and the game is fun throughout!
  12. Feb 13, 2012
    I love Halo and I was excited to play this but I must admit that the nostalgia wore off kind of fast. I canâ
  13. Nov 17, 2011
    Overall, a commendable effort but even after a few minutes of playing, some of the poorer design choices are immediately obvious. The lip sync in the cut scenes is still terrible; surely that was something that nobody would have minded improved. The same goes for the burning fire effects on The Pillar of Autumn (and probably elsewhere). These still look ten years old. Another gripe is theOverall, a commendable effort but even after a few minutes of playing, some of the poorer design choices are immediately obvious. The lip sync in the cut scenes is still terrible; surely that was something that nobody would have minded improved. The same goes for the burning fire effects on The Pillar of Autumn (and probably elsewhere). These still look ten years old. Another gripe is the bullet holes or decals. In the surrounding structures, these are mostly just black holes with no feathering or metal tear like in the first game. In some surfaces they don't appear at all. This makes the weapons seem less powerful because they appear to do less damage to the environment. It's one instance where you can use the switch-back feature and be more impressed with the original. The opening vignettes when you first press play seem a little washed out and fuzzy compared to the actual game-play. Even the menus seems less sharp or vibrant. Playing the campaign, I experienced lag at certain points and the cut scenes are incredibly jerky - even with the game installed on the hard drive. Hard to believe that these things couldn't have been fixed prior to release. You get the feeling that a few corners were cut to meet the anniversary deadline.

Apart from these minor niggles, the game is still as great as I remember it and 343 deserve a big pat on the back for coupling the original gameplay with a mostly superb graphics overhaul. An awful lot of thought and care has gone into this product and it shows. Halo has become my favourite game again.
  14. Apr 11, 2012
    What a great re-do of an old game. The new multi-player maps are fun and addictive, And the campaign looks just about as good as any new Halo. Now hopefully they will do the same with Halo 2.
  15. Nov 15, 2011
    At first it bothered me that this game was getting scores in the 8 area but now I understand why. The game is beyond remastered, it has been redone and tweaked in most areas other than enemy AI. The guns are darker and sicker looking , the sounds from rifles and the pistol have been tweaked for a deadly hollow echo. The graphics are amazing and if you thought the game would look like theAt first it bothered me that this game was getting scores in the 8 area but now I understand why. The game is beyond remastered, it has been redone and tweaked in most areas other than enemy AI. The guns are darker and sicker looking , the sounds from rifles and the pistol have been tweaked for a deadly hollow echo. The graphics are amazing and if you thought the game would look like the old CE with Halo reach graphics your wrong. The graphics are much more detailed and less brightly colored than reach's fruity gpaphics. The campiegn if nothing else is extremely playable in todays gaming envirment which I think is the key factor. The downside about this game is the failure to include the original MP. When I think Halo CE i think back to the old lan party games that lasted hours not just the campaign. The other downside is the Reach MP maps are the only maps included on the game. This wouldn't be a big deal but the halo odst release came with ALL maps and the full MP experience so it seems like a step backwards to me. All in all it basically the best FPS campaign of all time so if your on the fence about purchasing but think its too much. Buy the game and sell the dl map pack on ebay and save yourself $10. Expand
  16. Nov 15, 2011
    A very nice reboot for nostalgic fans and newcomers alike. 343 did a great job of not screwing this game up, but it's a 10 year old game and it doesn't hold up as well as modern games. Nevertheless it's a great trip back to memory lane for those who bought this for the original xbox and well worth the price tag.
  17. Nov 19, 2011
    This is exactly what 343 said it would be. It is an amazingly digitally remastered remake of the game I enjoyed playing 10 years ago. The fact that people are giving this below a 7/8 is just wrong, and they really need to go back to CoD and stop hating on the most loved game series of all time.
  18. Nov 20, 2011
    Beautiful Game, I really like the improved graphics.

---
    6 new multiplayer maps for Reach, based on classics.

Best remake of the year.

Terminals, Skulls, and possibly the Halo 4 Alpha Build.

I am really enjoying it.
  19. Nov 30, 2011
    Anniversary is everything you expected it to be. The campaign is back warts and all with beautiful graphics (although not as impressive as modern shooters) The AI holds up well despite their tendency to fire explosive weapons at point blank range (resulting in some cheap deaths). The ability to switch back between graphics layers is great for nostalgic purposes but it can result in someAnniversary is everything you expected it to be. The campaign is back warts and all with beautiful graphics (although not as impressive as modern shooters) The AI holds up well despite their tendency to fire explosive weapons at point blank range (resulting in some cheap deaths). The ability to switch back between graphics layers is great for nostalgic purposes but it can result in some slow loading textures and frame rate drops. Still the addition of terminals, skulls and some tricky achievements will keep you playing this for a while (and the reach multiplayer maps are cool) Expand
  20. Jun 30, 2012
    This game is amazing. Enemies, shooting, music, atmosphere, voice acting, dialogue, etc.
  21. Aug 7, 2012
    ok first of all.... i dont wanna hear any of this "I started playing halo at halo 3 bullsh*t". u cant start that late in a game saga and still review a previous game unbiased. for the same reason you shouldnt start at gears 3, or starcraft 2, or mass effect 3, ect and say sh*t about the previous games. so stop **** about copy and paste levels ect because thats what they had availableok first of all.... i dont wanna hear any of this "I started playing halo at halo 3 bullsh*t". u cant start that late in a game saga and still review a previous game unbiased. for the same reason you shouldnt start at gears 3, or starcraft 2, or mass effect 3, ect and say sh*t about the previous games. so stop **** about copy and paste levels ect because thats what they had available almost 13 years ago...its just a skin change not a whole new game

now moving on from that side note. it was great to see the original and one of the most influencial halos come back for another go around with amped up graphics. for all of the people who started playing halos with the original game im sure they must have liked that. and seeing the multiplayer maps come back. the cons were yes. it was just a repeat of the first game so theres that. and yes the multiplayer was that of halo reach. which was a little disappointing for old school halo fans. but overall it was really nice to go back to halo 1.
  22. Oct 17, 2012
    Brilliant!! Most fun I've had on XBOX in a long time. Playing through a graphically updated remake of the original is very cool experience. While also being updated it still feels very nostalgic for those who have played the original
  23. Aug 29, 2013
    This is what a HD remake should be like the controls are refined,there is new content (Skulls,Ternimals,Achievements). The campaign is as amazing as ever and the new graphics and remastered sound and you can switch back to the old graphics and sounds and seee the huge diffference the only real flaw is that the multiplayer is really a map pack for Reach but still this a must-buy for 360 owners
  24. Nov 15, 2011
    This is really a pretty simple concept, remake halo CE ten years after the original release with HD graphics, widescreen support, add terminals and skulls and online coop to a "legendary" campaign, If you loved the campaign then you will love it now, not much has changed as far as content. The missions are exactly as you remember them, although the terminals give halo fans more loreThis is really a pretty simple concept, remake halo CE ten years after the original release with HD graphics, widescreen support, add terminals and skulls and online coop to a "legendary" campaign, If you loved the campaign then you will love it now, not much has changed as far as content. The missions are exactly as you remember them, although the terminals give halo fans more lore behind the series and achievement hunters something to hunt for. Sidenote : halo waypoint integration is pretty sick

Outside of the actual campaign they remade 6 multiplayer maps, 4 from CE, 1 from CE for PC and 1 from halo 2. The multiplayer maps can be played on disc with their own set of playlists in the reach engine or can be exported with an included voucher for playing along with all other halo reach content and playlists. They added installation 04 as a firefight map and really excels as such. Honestly this part of the halo work is where firefight was born, posted up on a structure fighting off waves of aliens. Feels really good in the mode that was basically built around this idea.

If you are a halo fan it is well worth the $40 for the remastered campaign, the firefight, the online coop, and the remaster multiplayer maps. Really the only reason I dont give it a "10" is that if you hate reach multiplayer or dont own the game anymore the export DLC code is no good to you. But if you arent smart enough to buy the game from amazon with a $10 credit and sell the DLC voucher on eBay or to a friend for another $10 effectively making it $20 I dont know what to say to you. This game is a VERY awesome purchase for $40 and im stoked that 343/microsoft decided not to gouge the community with a $60 release. This game is not only a really fun way to relive the past but gives me great hope for 343 industries and where they will take the series.

This is not part of the review, just a message to a few of the people on here who are complaining

Stop directing complaints at Bungie, they are gone and no longer affiliated with this game or future halo titles. 343 industries is the new team for halo and have gotten off to a good start with this one. Also to anyone who just wants the maps for reach you can buy the 6 map DLC pack for $15 bucks which is pretty solid as well. The maps play awesome both in their classic format with no AAs and with the new revamped formats like "Battle Canyon"

If you played it 10 years ago its still amazing, if you never played Halo 1 you owe it to yourself to play the game that started it all, now in HD and online coop allows you to enjoy it with a buddy.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    It's the game we love, with the faults we love, now with online co-op.
    It's the game we love, with the faults we love, now with online co-op.
    There are faults; it doesn't run as smooth as its older counterpart, and the new graphics look like the inside of a Chucky Cheese. Still, the faults are cancelled out by online co-op, multiplayer, achievements, and terminals. So while it's not Halo: Combat Evolved as it was 10 years ago, the game is untouched mostly, and that game is still a 10 out of 10, even with it's modern-day drawbacks.
  26. Nov 15, 2011
    I'm very shocked to see the review scores that this game is getting from the critics. While 83 out of 100 isn't at all bad for the usual game, by Halo's standards it is pretty poor. Quite frankly, this game does what it sets out to do perfectly; creates an orgasmic, nostalgic experience that remains completely faithful to the original, while simultaneously boasting an impressive suite ofI'm very shocked to see the review scores that this game is getting from the critics. While 83 out of 100 isn't at all bad for the usual game, by Halo's standards it is pretty poor. Quite frankly, this game does what it sets out to do perfectly; creates an orgasmic, nostalgic experience that remains completely faithful to the original, while simultaneously boasting an impressive suite of new and awesome features. The graphics stay true to the artistic style of Halo, and are much more than passable by today's standards. The Campaign still feels extremely modern, despite using gameplay that is 10 years old, and is able to hold its own against even the most popular of shooters today. The multiplayer component may be the same as Reach's, but with special modes designed to play like the original multiplayer from 10 years ago coupled with the massive amount of features and customization that Halo Reach multiplayer already boasts, this game doesn't falter on value for money one bit. To summarise, the experience to be had with this game as a whole is worth a 10.

Finally, it is Halo: CE, what's not to love about that?
  27. Nov 28, 2011
    how could people dislike this its amazing its probes some retarded cod fans. this game isnt just a quick slop of hd graphics its art and really truly amazing. the only 2 downsides are the lips sync is a bit off and the multiplayer is reach multiplayer wish it was halo ce with hd graphics multiplayer but still great multiplayer. this game is far from mediocre and its the best halo so far.how could people dislike this its amazing its probes some retarded cod fans. this game isnt just a quick slop of hd graphics its art and really truly amazing. the only 2 downsides are the lips sync is a bit off and the multiplayer is reach multiplayer wish it was halo ce with hd graphics multiplayer but still great multiplayer. this game is far from mediocre and its the best halo so far. even though its updated graphics its still amazing. in fact i have to say i am glad 343 took over halo. great job 343 and the best 70 bucks aus spent this year. dislikes can suck on **** of duty modern gay **** stupid 3 Expand
  28. Nov 15, 2011
  29. Nov 15, 2011
    There are problems. The graphics overhaul is kiddy and doesn't respect the gritty nature of the original halo. The game doesn't feel so smooth when compared to the Xbox original. The extra features are few and somewhat lackluster.

Despite these problems, it's still Halo, It's still the great campaign we have grown to know and love. Add that to online co-op and multiplayer, and the shortcomings are made up for. You are better off playing Halo on it's original format, so this is not a 10 out of 10 for everyone, but it's still a 10 all the same.
  30. Nov 15, 2011
    Beautiful. It's hard to believe that the greatest FPS of all time could get any better. Well... it didn't. There are problems with the smoothness of this game due to the new graphics engine. But add in multiplayer, online co-op, and terminals, and the small flaws are set aside. This is incredible!
  31. Nov 15, 2011
    The game feels exactly like it did ten years ago. It could not be more perfect. The graphical enhancements that have been made are absolutely outstanding. This game gets an easy ten from me just for the campaign. The mutiplayer maps are just a bonus.
  32. Nov 15, 2011
    It's the best game of Halo (Halo: Combat Evolved). I'm excited with the terminals that explain history of 343 Guilty Spark and Halo 4. I like very much
  33. Nov 15, 2011
    Great game. It has some hiccups and issues. but reliving a legend is nothing short of awesome. and how you can see the difference is amazing. thanks 343!
  34. Nov 16, 2011
    If you prefer sneaking up behind your enemies and assaninating them with a single hit, or crouching along the side of a cliff hiding from your enemies with a sniper rifle at your ready, taking cover and planning strategically or just charging out and showing your enemies just who's boss; you have got to play this game! Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is the remake of a ten year old gameIf you prefer sneaking up behind your enemies and assaninating them with a single hit, or crouching along the side of a cliff hiding from your enemies with a sniper rifle at your ready, taking cover and planning strategically or just charging out and showing your enemies just who's boss; you have got to play this game! Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is the remake of a ten year old game that was already ahead of its time. Now it has been remade with updated graphics and some of the most popluar multiplayer maps made on the Reach engine. At just $40 it is definitely worth picking up. Just keep in mind that it is the campaign of a game released ten years ago and that it is not a full priced game. Although you may find that you get lost in it anyway. If you have never played it before I strongly recommend getting it, especially if you have finished the Halo Reach campaign. When you first turn the game on, you will probably need to adjust the controller settings, and start in atleast Heroic difficulty. Don't expect too much from a ten year old game, but don't think it isn't worth playing it either. On top of just being a really fun game, it now has extras like achievements and collectibles which add to an already high replay value, especially with friends. See what started it all. Buy your copy of Halo: Anniversary and you won't regret it. Expand
  35. Nov 15, 2011
    Halo 1 at its finest, a nice début for 343. The entire package is just brilliant and a must buy for any halo/fps fan. A fantastic game remade for current consoles.
  36. Nov 16, 2011
    I've have played video games since pong and halo is still to date the best game I ever played. With all the crap that came out this fall like mw3 and the price drop of only 40$ this is a still I would more the happily pay 150$ for this. If your a true halo fan like me get this game if you don't like halo rent it see if this changes your mind because this is the greatest game of all time
  37. Nov 15, 2011
    bungie started a generation of console fps with halo combat evolved 10 years ago now that they've pass the torch to 343 it seem only fitting for a whole new generation of gamers to play one of the best console fps of all time. the game play the same as it did 10 years ago which is a testament to how well made the game is even after all these years. you can play like you did 10 years ago orbungie started a generation of console fps with halo combat evolved 10 years ago now that they've pass the torch to 343 it seem only fitting for a whole new generation of gamers to play one of the best console fps of all time. the game play the same as it did 10 years ago which is a testament to how well made the game is even after all these years. you can play like you did 10 years ago or play with modern day graphics. the game come with 7 new map to be play in a updated reach and also come a full set of achievements and some bonus features while now perfect still shows no signs of aging anytime soon. Expand
  38. Nov 15, 2011
    è un gioco spettacolare che ti fa rivivere i vecchi momenti passati su halo:combat evolved, è consigliato a tutti i fan della saga sia vecchi e soprattuttto a quelli nuovi!
  39. Nov 15, 2011
    What more for the fps of the decade that hd graphics ? Nothing. 10/10, Bungie built a monument, 343 industrie sublimate it ! Real pleasure to rediscover this awesome game !
  40. Nov 15, 2011
    SIMON APPROVED BIATCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! i love it so does he!
  41. Nov 15, 2011
    I'll be honest, I hate Halo. I hate what it stands for, I hate its community, and I hate its multiplayer. I had never played the very first Halo game until now. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?! Why did they stop making games this good. Did the designers for Halo: CE dies and new ones had to take over for the other games? This is EASILY the greatest FPS campaign I have ever played, even betterI'll be honest, I hate Halo. I hate what it stands for, I hate its community, and I hate its multiplayer. I had never played the very first Halo game until now. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!?! Why did they stop making games this good. Did the designers for Halo: CE dies and new ones had to take over for the other games? This is EASILY the greatest FPS campaign I have ever played, even better than Half Life 2, I kid you not, it's that good! For $40, this is a steal! Oh, and to the idiot that blamed Bungie for this and gave the game a 5, Bungie didn't make this remake, so he's either 12 or mentally challenged. Expand
  42. Nov 15, 2011
    Well, well, well... Halo Anniversary could have well been a trainwreck. I suppose it hasn't, with great gameplay, improvements on every feature, and has everything new. I'll admit it's nothing like Halo Reach, but it's not a bad game in the end. It won't be the next biggest thing if you thought there would be nothing like it- because, well, there is... But it's a simple little game withWell, well, well... Halo Anniversary could have well been a trainwreck. I suppose it hasn't, with great gameplay, improvements on every feature, and has everything new. I'll admit it's nothing like Halo Reach, but it's not a bad game in the end. It won't be the next biggest thing if you thought there would be nothing like it- because, well, there is... But it's a simple little game with entertaning add ups and it's cheap price won't let you down. Expand
  43. Nov 15, 2011
    It's incredible to see these classic maps redone. Hats off to the teams involved in making these come back to life. Plus the campaign is good as always and really feels close to the visual bar set by Reach. Playing with friends, as always, is the best way to experience this epic re-imagined beginning. It won't be the most incredible thing you've ever played this season with other greatIt's incredible to see these classic maps redone. Hats off to the teams involved in making these come back to life. Plus the campaign is good as always and really feels close to the visual bar set by Reach. Playing with friends, as always, is the best way to experience this epic re-imagined beginning. It won't be the most incredible thing you've ever played this season with other great shooters out there, but it'll be such a treat for any long time Halo fan, especially those that embraced the first Halo 10 years ago. The only downside is that only 6 maps from Halo/Halo 2 made it into this reduced price package. So while it's all good stuff, it sure would be nice to see a few more classic remakes make their way into the Reach-extended multiplayer (Sidewinder, Rat Race, Death Island, Ice Fields to name a few). But the Xbox Halo classics Hang Em High, Battle Creek, Damnation, and Prisoner are so good to see again. Add in the gorgeous Halo PC Timberland map and Halo 2's Headlong, and you have at least a strong set of 6 maps to add to your next online/LAN party. Definitely a good buy @ $39.99. Expand
  44. Nov 16, 2011
    Played through the first two levels last night and YES it is exactly the Halo: CE we all remember and love. I now see myself playing through campaign countless times on different difficulties. I constantly stop myself and enjoy the new scenery as well. Nothing beats looking at a gorgeous backdrop then switching to the classic view. If you loved the original Halo this game is perfect forPlayed through the first two levels last night and YES it is exactly the Halo: CE we all remember and love. I now see myself playing through campaign countless times on different difficulties. I constantly stop myself and enjoy the new scenery as well. Nothing beats looking at a gorgeous backdrop then switching to the classic view. If you loved the original Halo this game is perfect for you. My only major qualm is that only a select few of the old multiplayer maps were remade (thank god one of them was hang em high). I would have liked to see all of them or at least Boarding Action and Sidewinder. However, making the multiplayer a part of Halo: Reach was pretty genius. It adds all of the wonderful functionality that the original multiplayer deserved, and if you own Reach you essentially get Blood Gultch. Expand
  45. Nov 16, 2011
    An amazing game that offers new and old gamers an awesome campaign. Campaign still deserves the 97% Metacritic gave it originally. MP maps, remastered graphics, co-op, achievements and terminals make this well worth the money. To all the haters out there - they just can't defeat the campaign on legendary.
  46. Nov 16, 2011
    The game is no doubt a great game. But of course this game felt like a DLC!!!!!!! However, the game can and will improve. But this game and counterstrike are the games that started great shooters in this generation.
  47. Nov 15, 2011
    Halo: CE got a 10 originally. I'm not sure why it deserves anything less now. People saying that 343 is just being money hungry, well they're not. Halo: CE costs 20 dollars on the xbox live market place, and the map pack is 15. For 5 more dollars you get the disk, terminals, updated graphics, and skulls.

This game is worth 60 dollars, you'd be a fool to not buy it for 40.
  48. Nov 15, 2011
    The single player is as good as you remember. The music, the enemies, the mystery... I could go on and on about how Ce was the game of a decade. When you play modern shooters be sure to thank this game for the fun your having that very second.
    The only negatives I have about the game is that the original multiplayer was not included. The multiplayer operates from the Reach engine, which I despise. So if you play halo only for multiplayer and you dislike Reach this is only marginally better than Reach because of its classic maps and Title update. In general, the best hd remake to come this generation for the best price.
  49. Nov 15, 2011
    There is a reason this game is more or less the same with nothing fixed - 343 Industries wanted to make a faithful remake to keep everything true halo fans know and love about the first game. Though the graphics overhaul is kiddy, it's still great to switch between the new and the old graphics at the press of a button. The Online Co-Op provides a new experience for those who want to playThere is a reason this game is more or less the same with nothing fixed - 343 Industries wanted to make a faithful remake to keep everything true halo fans know and love about the first game. Though the graphics overhaul is kiddy, it's still great to switch between the new and the old graphics at the press of a button. The Online Co-Op provides a new experience for those who want to play with old friends, and the Reach Map Pack is a great addition. Expand
  50. Nov 15, 2011
    This is a great game for anyone who enjoys shooters.It's a perfect remake.It has a very good gameplay,like any Halo,and the graphics are much superior than the original.The soundtrack it's awesome too,everything is.The story is fantastic,just like the original.

I recommend it if you like shooters,and if you like Halo you must buy this game.
  51. Nov 15, 2011
    Halo:Anniversary is by far the best, and most enjoyble remasterd game ever made. The gameplay is identical to what it was 10 years ago, and the enhanced soundtrack with Halo:Reach visual's makes this a must buy for any true Halo fan. 10/10 Great Job 343i.
  52. Nov 15, 2011
    I bought this game knowing that this was going to be Halo 1 with better textures. I wanted gamer score for beating the game that was in my top 10 of monumental games. I also wanted to play on the old maps that I played in middle school with my friends. This game to me is a reboot of the same game we all enjoyed 10 years ago. Just with better graphics, that's what it was sold as, and that'sI bought this game knowing that this was going to be Halo 1 with better textures. I wanted gamer score for beating the game that was in my top 10 of monumental games. I also wanted to play on the old maps that I played in middle school with my friends. This game to me is a reboot of the same game we all enjoyed 10 years ago. Just with better graphics, that's what it was sold as, and that's what it is. And that's why I gave it the same score I gave it the first time I played this game. Expand
  53. Jan 9, 2012
    Halo: Combat Evolved proves why it redefined first person shooters on consoles and made the Xbox go from being just another gaming platform to something we resemble with this extraordinary sci-fi universe. The music is phenomenal, the pacing is top notch, and the melee system and grenade options are more enjoyable than most games. The price point is a little high, but considering the careHalo: Combat Evolved proves why it redefined first person shooters on consoles and made the Xbox go from being just another gaming platform to something we resemble with this extraordinary sci-fi universe. The music is phenomenal, the pacing is top notch, and the melee system and grenade options are more enjoyable than most games. The price point is a little high, but considering the care that has been given when remastering the franchise, setting a fine example of how to rerelease an old game, one cannot complain. That they decided to add the option to play with retro graphics shows how much the developers care about the fans of the original game. Sadly however, the campaign is a little bit on the short side and the characters portrayed in the story aren't very relatable nor do they have much depth. In addition, the map design is rehashed a lot, and you often find yourself returning to familiar places over and over again. Ammo and health is scarce as well, leading you having to run to the next checkpoint a lot of times without being able to take down your opponents - and the invisible enemies which spawn behind you have too much of an edge, especially considering how awkwardly your teammates approach them. In conclusion, by playing through this game I can begin to fathom the cult following of the franchise, because it consists of a silky smooth combat system with creative level design, and enlightens me as to why it was one best experiences to ever come out on the original Xbox. Expand
  54. Nov 17, 2011
    I'm starting to doubt the value of the score in video game reviews (83 is fine, not my point). There is such an inflation issue with the perspective of readers that devalues anything less than 90 to pure trash. Anyways, for Halo CE fans this game is a 100. It's the game we love, with the faults we love, now with online co-op. Nothing gets better than that.
  55. Nov 18, 2011
    An almost perfect re-mastering of the original classic, Halo Anniversary reminds us why we fell in love with the original 'Combat Evolved' and the franchise as a whole, and the ability to play both re-mastered and classic sweetens it all the more, with remastered multiplayer maps of the classics and for a cheap price tag of $50 (Aus) then there is no excuse if your a Halo fanatic or an FPSAn almost perfect re-mastering of the original classic, Halo Anniversary reminds us why we fell in love with the original 'Combat Evolved' and the franchise as a whole, and the ability to play both re-mastered and classic sweetens it all the more, with remastered multiplayer maps of the classics and for a cheap price tag of $50 (Aus) then there is no excuse if your a Halo fanatic or an FPS lover in general to not pick this up. BUY IT. Expand
  56. Dec 1, 2011
    It really f*cking pisses me off that this game isn't getting 10's. It's a remake of ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES KNOWN TO MAN! It doesn't have to be reviewed because we already know it's the best game ever! I saw people hating on the story for no f*cking reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!?!??! There's nothing wrong with this game AT ALL! IT WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN COD NO MATTER HOWIt really f*cking pisses me off that this game isn't getting 10's. It's a remake of ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES KNOWN TO MAN! It doesn't have to be reviewed because we already know it's the best game ever! I saw people hating on the story for no f*cking reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!?!??! There's nothing wrong with this game AT ALL! IT WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN COD NO MATTER HOW MUCH COD TRIES TO MAKE IT BETTER IT WILL FAIL! Expand
  57. Nov 15, 2011
    Halo fans asked for this remake to be as close to the original as possible with awesome HD graphics and online co-op. We got what we asked for. It feel and plays just like the game we all fell in love with 10 years ago while looking and sounding like a modern day FPS. Combined with a $15 Classic Maps DLC for Halo: Reach, this is definitely one of the best values you'll find this holidayHalo fans asked for this remake to be as close to the original as possible with awesome HD graphics and online co-op. We got what we asked for. It feel and plays just like the game we all fell in love with 10 years ago while looking and sounding like a modern day FPS. Combined with a $15 Classic Maps DLC for Halo: Reach, this is definitely one of the best values you'll find this holiday season for $40.00. Expand
  58. Feb 12, 2012
    I'm not sure why reviewers choose other HD remakes over this one, because this isn't a remake. Instead, it's a remaster of the first Halo title, a title that many college students and children remembered back in 2001, or that newcomers might be interested in picking up. Either way, Xbox owners should definitely look at this game, because it is amazing. The game feels exactly the same as aI'm not sure why reviewers choose other HD remakes over this one, because this isn't a remake. Instead, it's a remaster of the first Halo title, a title that many college students and children remembered back in 2001, or that newcomers might be interested in picking up. Either way, Xbox owners should definitely look at this game, because it is amazing. The game feels exactly the same as a decade ago, and it looks amazing too with Saber Interactive's new engine layering with the original engine. This makes the ability for swapping the new graphics into the old, a feature that fans will love. Even if the graphics are nice, they are pretty jittery and laggy, but maybe it is caused by the old engine. The story was definitely the most cinematic of the series, which I liked. It was very straightfoward and interesting, telling the story of Master Chief arriving on the Halo and finding out its secrets. I don't need to explain the gameplay...well...because every owner of the xbox probably played Halo games already. The multiplayer is amazing, using the reach engine and gameplay, but it's ultimately lacking. There are only 6 competitive maps and one firefight map, all remasters of maps from Halo 1 and 2. I feel there needs to be more maps for this game, but with a price of only 40 dollars, I don't complain much. Expand
  59. Nov 16, 2011
    my **** exploded when i played this game. memories memories memories. Me at the age of 12 waking up early all throughout winter holidays to play Halo campaign and multiplayer with my brother and my friends. Amazing times, when I played the first level all I thought about was me at sitting by the fireplace, with a blanket, the snows outside, christmas lights are up, and im enjoying the hellmy **** exploded when i played this game. memories memories memories. Me at the age of 12 waking up early all throughout winter holidays to play Halo campaign and multiplayer with my brother and my friends. Amazing times, when I played the first level all I thought about was me at sitting by the fireplace, with a blanket, the snows outside, christmas lights are up, and im enjoying the hell out of some Halo. 10/10. **** Expand
  60. Nov 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am shocked this doesn't have 90's for reviews. I guess I'll see when I play it. :/ I hope it's good. When HALO 4 is getting high 90's . So u hope these reviews get better. Expand
  61. Nov 15, 2011
    Halo remade, with new maps, HD graphics, and HD sound. The fact that you can take the maps over to Reach is a really awesome feature. Halo was a revolution in FPS's and a remake that offers more deserves a 10.
  62. Nov 15, 2011
    Awesome. Great story the best out of all the Halo's. Just wish it came out on PC. Great visuals 3d ready! With a simple click of button you can switch back to original graphics which I think is good because you can compare for yourself.
  63. Nov 15, 2011
    Since playing this game, it has brought me back some good memories of playing halo. It keeps true to halo, as 343 industries wanted it to be. The sounds are perfect and everything looks great. The warthog feels heavy though, but that is because of the use of the new sab3rd engine. The back button gimmick is excellent, but has a 1-2 second delay. If your a Halo Fan, then this is a must buy.Since playing this game, it has brought me back some good memories of playing halo. It keeps true to halo, as 343 industries wanted it to be. The sounds are perfect and everything looks great. The warthog feels heavy though, but that is because of the use of the new sab3rd engine. The back button gimmick is excellent, but has a 1-2 second delay. If your a Halo Fan, then this is a must buy. Multiplayer maps are great as well. Expand
  64. Jan 5, 2012
    I expected the original game with updated graphics and a few extras. It didn't disappoint, except for the voices, it seems a bit off compared to the original. It weirds me out, which is why I docked 1, but otherwise a faithful remake of the original, which is one of my favorite games of all time.
  65. Jan 3, 2012
    Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, despite being essentially 10 years old. really doesn't feel like it, so credit to 343i where it's due. The new graphics look great, and despite the odd mismatched lip sync and relatively tired animations, the campaign still looks really good. I'm not too sure of the art style, but It looks good all the same. Other than that, it's essentially the same HaloHalo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, despite being essentially 10 years old. really doesn't feel like it, so credit to 343i where it's due. The new graphics look great, and despite the odd mismatched lip sync and relatively tired animations, the campaign still looks really good. I'm not too sure of the art style, but It looks good all the same. Other than that, it's essentially the same Halo CE as it was 10 years ago, even with the amazingly powerful Magnum and somewhat confusing level design, though it is much better than previously, thanks to new lighting cues - especially in 'The Library'.
    The multiplayer maps are again old, but don't feel it and have been faithfully recreated in Halo Reach. I am slightly disappointed in the fact that it's not the original CE multiplayer, but I suppose it's for the best, given the fact that you get the map pack code for Reach and as a result, you don't get the whole Halo community split into two games. The updated game modes are great and fix the common complaints with the Halo Reach setup (I.E. high reticule bloom, armour lock etc.) and Multiplayer, whilst not matching the other Halo titles, is still a blast to play. Overall, the game isn't the perfect 'Halo 1 if it was made in 2011' package like it was somewhat described to be, but it is a fantastic single player experience with a tried-and-tested multiplayer.
  66. Jan 2, 2012
    I love this game all over again. And the addition of terminals was a nice treat. I was wondering how 343 would handle the franchise, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm totally biased but when you look at the GOW rerelease and even (I hate to say it because I'd STILL give it a 10) the Shadow/Ico rerelease, I have to say that this is the way to do it. I also truly appreciate the ability toI love this game all over again. And the addition of terminals was a nice treat. I was wondering how 343 would handle the franchise, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm totally biased but when you look at the GOW rerelease and even (I hate to say it because I'd STILL give it a 10) the Shadow/Ico rerelease, I have to say that this is the way to do it. I also truly appreciate the ability to switch between the original graphics and the new ones. Amazing game, absolutely worth the money, and I suggest that every fan of scifi/1rst person shooters add it to their collection. Expand
  67. Nov 17, 2011
    First let me say anyone giving this redone version a bad score are too young to remember the original.
    This game improves graphics and adds afew new modes and kinect features ... A great remake of a classic that made xbox so popular and made fps games accessible on consoles for first time
  68. Jan 6, 2012
    Do I like this game? Hell yes, do I think it's just as good as when the first one came out? Hell no. Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary is different than many Halo games out there maybe because the campaign has old elements and great style, better than reach to tell you the truth. However the issues that were in the first game are still there and they are quite notable here. I am not hatingDo I like this game? Hell yes, do I think it's just as good as when the first one came out? Hell no. Halo Combat Evolved: Anniversary is different than many Halo games out there maybe because the campaign has old elements and great style, better than reach to tell you the truth. However the issues that were in the first game are still there and they are quite notable here. I am not hating really in fact, this game is quite good, it's just misleading that some things don't work as they should and some missions are in fact confusing. The campaign overall is quite good but it still has its problems and I am really not hating. The multiplayer however is amazing since it uses Halo: Reach and brings some classic maps and game modes that are really fun. The only downside is that there are only 6 maps as of today and forge world has been removed if you are not playing the multiplayer directly from reach. Overall this is a good game that still beats Call of Duty by a mile though it still has its problems. Expand
  69. Jan 10, 2012
    When I first got this, I expected something that it was advertised to be: an expansion pack for Reach.
    However, after I finished the campaign and played some matchmaking, it became evident it is a LOT more than that.
    It was evident how much effort 343 put into this, to keep it faithful to the original. If you haven't played the original yet, then this is a must-buy especially at $30. However, it is evident it has aged quite a bit and has improved drastically throughout the other ones in the series, but it still feels new which is an odd feeling.
    Framerate drops and odd glitching in cutscenes is common, but only a minor issue.
    The maps are fantastic and the campaign is one of the longest of an FPS, and it is still fun after a decade. Overall, I'd suggest this one as a buy.
  70. Feb 22, 2013
    Copy/Paste to all Halo reviews after all these years: I didn't have a 360 for a few years (played 3 and ODST). In the meantime I played all sorts of fps- COD, BF, Killzone (which is awesome), Resistance, and every single other one. And coming back to Halo when I rebought a 360 was like the greatest homecoming ever. Unlike those other games, every Halo battle is like a chess match waitingCopy/Paste to all Halo reviews after all these years: I didn't have a 360 for a few years (played 3 and ODST). In the meantime I played all sorts of fps- COD, BF, Killzone (which is awesome), Resistance, and every single other one. And coming back to Halo when I rebought a 360 was like the greatest homecoming ever. Unlike those other games, every Halo battle is like a chess match waiting to happen. And once you truly know every enemy and every weapon, you fall into a sweet spot of gaming that is possibly the best of all action games ever made. It's just the best. Great now I have to copy and paste this 4 more times. Expand
  71. Nov 19, 2011
    I was honestly really disappointed when I got this game. I thought it would be just like the first game only with updated graphics and online multiplayer, like what the trailers suggested, but instead I got a rushed, excuse for a remake. The Multiplayer was the biggest let down. It's basically like a Halo Reach add-on only without Halo Reach itself and only 6 maps, with two of my favoriteI was honestly really disappointed when I got this game. I thought it would be just like the first game only with updated graphics and online multiplayer, like what the trailers suggested, but instead I got a rushed, excuse for a remake. The Multiplayer was the biggest let down. It's basically like a Halo Reach add-on only without Halo Reach itself and only 6 maps, with two of my favorite maps missing, Sidewinder and Blood Gulch. The Campaign was interesting with it's updated graphics and terminals, but I don't think that alone is worth $40. If you like this game, that's fine with me but I don't recommend it. Expand
  72. Jan 2, 2012
    Microsoft you have milked this as far as it can possibly go! How can you warrant the release of an identical game but looks prettier FOR FULL PRICE?!?! Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is nothing to go out and buy, in any way shape or form. If you've played Halo: Combat Evolved, your not missing anything at all. Of course there isn't anything that I can do about the Halo Fan Boys rushingMicrosoft you have milked this as far as it can possibly go! How can you warrant the release of an identical game but looks prettier FOR FULL PRICE?!?! Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is nothing to go out and buy, in any way shape or form. If you've played Halo: Combat Evolved, your not missing anything at all. Of course there isn't anything that I can do about the Halo Fan Boys rushing out, and **** in their pants for it as they did for the ridiculously priced Halo 3:ODST, and there is also nothing I can do about the general media being biased, and selling out. I will be truthful, and honest. Anniversary was developed by 343 Industries, as Bungie has left the franchise, and thus there was nothing that could be added to this game without the sliver of imagination that was left after Halo 3 was released. The game has nothing added to it beyond a shiny new engine to make it look better. I enjoyed the original Halo very much, but just because you give it up to date graphics, doesn't mean you can sell it at full price. This is more suited for something like a straight to Xbox Live title for $30, but to release it for $60 when there is already a good Halo game with better graphics, and a good story on shelves for only $40 or less now is far worth it over this. Nothing is added to multiplayer in the slightest so save your money, and continue playing Reach if you want to play Halo. The game is pretty to look at, but it's simply not enough to give any more points to it. The game is as average as it gets, and deserves the average game score of a 5. Shame on you Microsoft for trying to make another cheap buck! Expand
  73. Dec 27, 2011
    It has begun we thought it was just hollywood but now there doing to games remakes yes it launched the xbox I know I was there I bought my first xbox so happy to know that Bungie would do a half ass reboot later..ooo we can see the sunglare, water splashes, little more details wow really bungie you want us to pay 60 bucks for that how about you actually redid the whole thing with theIt has begun we thought it was just hollywood but now there doing to games remakes yes it launched the xbox I know I was there I bought my first xbox so happy to know that Bungie would do a half ass reboot later..ooo we can see the sunglare, water splashes, little more details wow really bungie you want us to pay 60 bucks for that how about you actually redid the whole thing with the graphics like reach or maybe put some extra stuff say be able to use odst troopers or even design your own marines like in reach..considering this is after reach campaign...Maybe this title has run its course to know that there is a Halo 4 next year really come on, how many more till you realise your flogging a dead horse..Are you gonna go the way of guitar hero or ,et it finish like GOW, M.E, COD MW. Let it go and start something new.. Expand
  74. Nov 28, 2011
    I am dissapointed with this game. 343 remade the same halo we know and love however that comes with glitches. Also the switch from Old to new graphics takes a while. Oh and Multiplayer, 343 was too lazy to make their own multiplayer componet so they HAD to borrow Halo: Reach and make a stupid PLAYLIST. Seriously 343. So far I miss Bungie. I hope Halo 4 will be better.
  75. Dec 1, 2011
    Just a superb remake. Its the same campaign and it brings back a lot of great memories. Its a great first game for 343 studios and I hope they keep up the work and make an amazing Halo 4.
  76. Nov 28, 2011
    Having played the original game both on Xbox and on PC, and enjoyed all of the sequels (bar Halo 2. which is an often tedious and cheesy experience, slightly improved in co-op - never did play it online though to be fair)., my interest was piqued several months ago when this remastered edition was announced at E3. The game was advertised early on as a graphical and audio upscaling, whichHaving played the original game both on Xbox and on PC, and enjoyed all of the sequels (bar Halo 2. which is an often tedious and cheesy experience, slightly improved in co-op - never did play it online though to be fair)., my interest was piqued several months ago when this remastered edition was announced at E3. The game was advertised early on as a graphical and audio upscaling, which is true enough, however there is little else to say about the game beyond this point - in fact, the game offers nothing much more than what PC players have been enjoying with 3rd party (and free) source ports of games like Quake and other id Software games for years - new code that takes advantage of todays modern hardware, without necessarily altering anything in the gameplay. On the one hand, it is pleasantly surprising to see how well the gameplay of Halo stands up after 10 years, and it is still an enjoyable experience and with the graphical extensions now in place, one that that sits more comfortably alongside the more modern games in the series (again, barring Halo 2, which excepting for a Windows Vista exclusive port has had no such modernisation as of yet). All the familiarity is by and large not unwelcome, however it also feels distinctly unadventurous and somewhat cynical, not something that bodes well from the 'new' developer, 343. The multiplayer content also feels tacked on and largely irrelevant, and whilst I look forward to going through the game again with a friend in local co-op, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the game in 2011. The option to switch back to the 'classic' (note: simply crude and dated) visuals of the original also is pure novelty and for me, didn't pose any real interest, and being able to provide such a feature meant that there was no room for any design innovations or even bug fixes that were present in the original game (the same plasma pistol audio bug I remember from all those years ago still happened in this edition). Whilst it is great to see a truly classic game given a new lease of life, the results are less impressive than they could have been should the developers had been less concerned with giving lip service to the original and instead been more interested in giving us something new. Expand
  77. Dec 27, 2011
    Awsome game! I'm really enjoying it at the moment! This is my first Halo game I've played and I'm finding it hard to put down! Price is well worth it! Well done!
  78. Nov 19, 2011
    It's a great game, one of the hardest FPS on legendary difficulty. As for the updated graphics and frame rate I would give it an 8 because it tends to lag at loading points and imo Halo: Reach has better graphics. Story wise it doesn't get much better than the Halo franchise. Best of all the pistol is still the best weapon in the entire game.
  79. Dec 31, 2011
    One of the pleasures I missed out of in my childhood was owning an original Xbox and thus being unable to play Halo: Combat Evolved on its original platform. I can see why in 2001 this game would have been amazing and redefining but now it just seems a bit out of class with modern games. Because of this I find it really hard to give this game the positive rating that it obviously deservesOne of the pleasures I missed out of in my childhood was owning an original Xbox and thus being unable to play Halo: Combat Evolved on its original platform. I can see why in 2001 this game would have been amazing and redefining but now it just seems a bit out of class with modern games. Because of this I find it really hard to give this game the positive rating that it obviously deserves but not earn in my eyes.
    The campaign is the main focus really as the multiplayer is directed from Halo: Reach so can't really say much about that. I found the campaign to be extremely frustrating with levels being an obvious copy and paste of one another. I felt like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day whilst playing this game (1993 Movie). The only real feature of the game was the ability to take the game back to its original graphics which I ended up doing for a large majority of the campaign just to tolerate the repeated level design. *spoiler? The kinect feature of this game become really frustrating as it would pick up the slightest of sounds and act accordingly to what it thought it heard. The amount of times that I would randomly throw a grenade and kill myself was ridiculous and the constant game pausing rapidly got annoying. If you own a kinect device, I advise you turn this feature off.

I really do want to give this a positive review but both physically and Mentally, I can't. 10 years ago it would have gotten a 10/10 from me surely but today, sadly not.
  80. Dec 29, 2011
    Jogo e muito bom, o 3d e bakana. como sempre a serie halo esta de parabens, agora estou na espera de halo 4, tomara que não demore para chegar. poderia tambem era fazer o halo 2 remake com graficos em HD e 3d.
    Halo e so jogando para saber como e bom.
  81. May 20, 2012
    Should have been a DLC. Great, but not worth the money. That is all that needs to be said about this game. The game is good and a good graphic and gameplay enhancer.
  82. Aug 30, 2012
    I am glad 343 Industries decided not to sell this game for the full 60 dollars, because this game certainly didn't deserve it. The multi-player maps were good to ok, but I the campaign was lacking. The skulls were great, but the fact that if I want to join a game with my friends it will terribly is just awful. The graphics aren't to good, very hard to look at. This game was obviouslyI am glad 343 Industries decided not to sell this game for the full 60 dollars, because this game certainly didn't deserve it. The multi-player maps were good to ok, but I the campaign was lacking. The skulls were great, but the fact that if I want to join a game with my friends it will terribly is just awful. The graphics aren't to good, very hard to look at. This game was obviously pushed out to fast and was just a waste of money. Expand
  83. Dec 3, 2012
    I liked this game quite a lot - the first pics i saw were awesome. But now, it looks just old. A cool game ... 10 years ago. Today it lacks a gripping story, drama and good graphics. The later I can accept - the first two not. Still good - the controls (except the driver controls of the warthog, they still suck).
  84. Nov 5, 2012
  85. Nov 29, 2011
    I forgot how amazing the Halo: CE campaign was and still remains. It was very nostaligic to play and the updated graphics work perfectly. A must own for any Halo fan.
  86. Oct 13, 2012
    Halo is a hard game to review in this day and age. At the time it was revolutionary and an absolute blast. I have fond memories of "The Silent Cartographer" and "Assault on the Control Room", levels which I played countless times with friends many many years ago. But today, the elements of Halo that don't work shine more vividly than ever before. AI is horrible, level designs are confusingHalo is a hard game to review in this day and age. At the time it was revolutionary and an absolute blast. I have fond memories of "The Silent Cartographer" and "Assault on the Control Room", levels which I played countless times with friends many many years ago. But today, the elements of Halo that don't work shine more vividly than ever before. AI is horrible, level designs are confusing ("The Flood" and "The Library" anyone?), weapons are unbalanced and certain enemies, the flood especially, are just a pain in the ass to fight. So, Halo: CE certainly is a game that gamers should play given its impact of games today, but it doesn't hold up well under the test of time, in my opinion. Now, to the specifics of the Anniversary edition. Everything plays the same and the graphics have been given a major overhaul. The ability to change between original and updated graphics at the press of a button is a really cool feature, one that really goes to show the amount of work that went into this re-release. Some cons: I didn't care for the side-stories provided in the "terminals" and the fact that the multiplayer was Halo: Reach multiplayer is a pretty weak move in my opinion. It's a worthy purchase if you loved the original Halo or the series in general and want to see it in HD glory, but this isn't the best playing Halo by today's standards. Expand
  87. Aug 26, 2012
    Texture pop n, the game

Texture pop n, the game

first off. im a halo fanboy. i loved halo from the very first day my best friend said "want to play haloo?" . hours would be spent playing it, time and time again. and just the campaign. we still do the same with the newer halo games, only shout through head sets this time. all this means that halo has a very very comfortable place in my childhood and my heart. so when i find out they are making an aniversary edition, i couldnt wait. strangely enough i gad to (due to a lack of a xbox 360 to play it on). so after starting it up it was wonderful (there were some things i didnt like) e.g the new ring looks a bit stange, Jhonson looks slightly retarded and some of the much loved animations in cutscenes had ben altered (marines magicaly spining on the spot anyone?) but now to the man problem. texture pop in. from that statement you should be able to tell that i am now a fully fledged PC gamer. a person who prefers pretty led's in a case than energy saving. and this game has alot of it. an awful lot. think RAGE on a bad day. but whats even better is it dosent matter, as when you use the (not quite so instant) transition between only and new graphivd, you can see just how far it has come. as a technical masterpiece halo combat evolved is brillian. two engines running at the same time! brining back an old game, but not ruining it! i hope more companies follow in the role of 343. no longer should there be hirendous "HD collection" where they simply double the textures. this is actually an edit of my old revview. im giving it a lower score, as while they have done the graphics, they still havnt fixed issues with halo, e.g. checkpoints that are so far appart, its just easier to start the level again
  88. Nov 20, 2011
    When I heard Bungie was no longer going to be making the Halo games and some new company was, I was worried that the series would go down hill, but after playing this I am no longer worried, it's obvious that 343 Industries are as big of fans of the Halo series as I am, they did a fantastic job with this HD re-release/remake, playing this brought back good memories even though it's notWhen I heard Bungie was no longer going to be making the Halo games and some new company was, I was worried that the series would go down hill, but after playing this I am no longer worried, it's obvious that 343 Industries are as big of fans of the Halo series as I am, they did a fantastic job with this HD re-release/remake, playing this brought back good memories even though it's not exactly 100%, they have made a few changes and not just with the updated graphics which by the way are fantastic, the sound effects for some guns have changed, also I believe the damage has too, also some extra dialog has been added or changed in the cutscenes, but these changes don't ruin the experience at all, and the new features like 4 player co-op, hidden skulls and terminals, and achievements will keep me coming back, and the ability to switch back and forth between the old and new graphics during gameplay is awesome, and it comes with some new multiplayer maps for Halo: Reach based on maps from the original Halo games and a new Firefight mission which is the new Anniversary map pack for Halo: Reach (to learn more about it look at my review for it), and so you don't have to break out this disc to play the new maps they give you a code so you can have all the maps on one disc (your Halo: Reach disc) to make it more convenient which I thought was nice, but the new maps and multiplayer features never really reminded me of playing the original Halo,also the game can get frustrating in the later levels, but if you are a Halo fan or haven't played the original before this is a must get, but I still recommend playing the original version first just so you can feel the nostalgia 343 Industries want you to feel, a fantastic way to prove that 343 Industries isn't going to mess this fantastic series up. Expand
  89. Nov 17, 2011
    Personally I purchased Halo: Combat Evolved when it first came out on PC, it was a monumental event in my start to gaming addiction, it changed my perceptions of games, the story was gripping, the sound track blended perfectly with the current atmosphere and game situation, my emotions were played with beyond belief for an artificial world and universe. I became submerged in the HaloPersonally I purchased Halo: Combat Evolved when it first came out on PC, it was a monumental event in my start to gaming addiction, it changed my perceptions of games, the story was gripping, the sound track blended perfectly with the current atmosphere and game situation, my emotions were played with beyond belief for an artificial world and universe. I became submerged in the Halo phenomenon and have been a fan ever since.

To start off with the revamp is a huge change to the look as well as the graphical aspect of the game, environments are now very detailed and suited to the levels, the swamp level now looks gorgeous and now ties in with the description from the book itself (Halo: The Flood which I recommend reading!).

What can I say? The game is still the awesome product it was 10 years ago, and I know I am buying the game again at a cheaper rate than a standard Xbox 360 game again and so I don't feel that it is a money grabbing scheme. I got what I paid for and I have absolutely no regrets.
  90. Jul 6, 2012
    First off, let me begin by saying that the Halo franchise has easily the best storyline of any gaming series to date, complimented by well fleshed out characters and intricate backstories. Halo: Combat Evolved was, for its time, a great game, it had many, many flaws (a broken cover system and ridiculously shoddy AI for a start), but it was amazing upon release. Now, ten years later (nearFirst off, let me begin by saying that the Halo franchise has easily the best storyline of any gaming series to date, complimented by well fleshed out characters and intricate backstories. Halo: Combat Evolved was, for its time, a great game, it had many, many flaws (a broken cover system and ridiculously shoddy AI for a start), but it was amazing upon release. Now, ten years later (near eleven now), we hold games to a much higher standard, and Halo: Combat Evolved just doesn't meet those standards. A good remake (to me) is one where the developers aren't afraid to fix stuff that didn't work, what 343 Industries have gone with, is a simple dab of spit and polish and the insertion of collectibles. THAT'S IT.
    Everything **** about the original Halo is back. I could play no further once I got the the "escort Keyes from the ship" section of Truth and Reconciliation, seeing that seasoned veteran member of the UNSC run at every possible live grenade over and over again on Legendary difficulty just made something snap in me, then, seemingly to rub it in, Cortana says that "Without the captain, the covenant have already won..." **** HE'S SUICIDING OVER AND OVER AND OVER. HE IS THE WORST PIECE OF **** TO GRACE VIDEO GAMING AND HE DIES LATER ON ANYWAY SO ITS NOT LIKE HAVING HIM DIE NOW WILL CHANGE A **** THING
    Oh yeah, spoilers, sorry
    A decent game, but it would be better if they had taken an hour or two to fix the torrent of flaws
  91. Nov 28, 2011
    Bringing back to life the game that started it all for shooters; Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is a must own for any real Halo fan. With the improved visuals and a remastered soundtrack, it's great to go back and experience the game that redefined shooters all over again in this modern looking state. Although I still love and cherish the classic version for old time sake, this isBringing back to life the game that started it all for shooters; Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is a must own for any real Halo fan. With the improved visuals and a remastered soundtrack, it's great to go back and experience the game that redefined shooters all over again in this modern looking state. Although I still love and cherish the classic version for old time sake, this is without doubt a beautiful gift from "343" and I thank them dearly for it. Now, let's see what they can do with Halo 4. Expand
  92. Jul 19, 2012
    A very polished and comprehensive remastering of a classic game. All the core game play and levels are completely faithful to the original. Highly recommended to fans of the original and newcomers alike. Special mention must go out to the Terminal cut scenes that deliver more back story and intrigue. They are superbly done and a nice touch.
  93. Nov 25, 2011
    Unlike other developers (Cough Capcom cough) this isn't a HD remake. This is a total remake. 343 actually knows what a HD remake should be like, and they gave it to us.

This is a great start for 343 Industries to get their foot in the door as a AAA developer. After playing through this game, I have high expectations for Halo 4. They've not only added new graphics, they've also added the

They've not only added new graphics, they've also added the terminals which gives us an insight into the story a lot more.

They have not changed too much to the core gameplay though. 343 you have done a fantastic job resurrecting an FPS classic. I'll no doubt be getting Halo 4 now. Keep it up.
  94. Nov 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was really excited for this game and couldn't wait for a remake of the best halo campaign ever! This time around it comes with brand new graphics and a map pack with remakes of 6 halo ce maps including one halo 2 map. It also includes anew firefight map which is pretty great! Overall this game does not disappoint. The campaign is as amazing as ever with the ability to change between the 2001 and the new updated 2011 graphics. The anniversary multiplayer is great because I think they jacked up the pistol and now its like my favorite weapon. The remakes are also spot on with a few renovations. For $40 this is not a bad deal at all. It includes kinect features which are fun for a little while. This isn't Halo 4 but it might be enough to last us for a year till that comes out. More maps would be cool later on this year but who knows? I really don't have any issues with this game so I would give it a 9/10! Expand
  95. Nov 17, 2011
    Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary marks the transition of delivery of the historical series from Bungie to 343 Industries. The team has been able to coin a product aesthetically improved with the original feeling, enhanced by a series of characteristics that have marked the evolution in the course of his years. The transition to high definition does not compare with the current products,Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary marks the transition of delivery of the historical series from Bungie to 343 Industries. The team has been able to coin a product aesthetically improved with the original feeling, enhanced by a series of characteristics that have marked the evolution in the course of his years. The transition to high definition does not compare with the current products, but still manages to charm with the most artistic and technical work related to the Halo engine Engine, which is forging new management of the texture and lighting is not used as best could. The gameplay manages to be enjoyed while taking a leap back in time thanks to the excellent balance between impact on enemies and weapons and vehicles. Multiplayer The fund, structured on the basis of Reach, allows users to join the already vast array of online players do battle mode struck for the anniversary. A must buy for all fans of the series and for those who want to come across for the first time in the great, infinite, immersive Halo universe. http://www.4news.it/9709-recensione-halo-combat-evolved-anniversary.php Expand
  96. Nov 20, 2011
    The campaign itself feels amazing, and like a completely new experience. As someone who has played through it several times since it's debut - I was shocked at how big a difference a fresh coat of paint could make. As far as positives, I have to say the price is extremely fair for what your getting. Microsoft deserves a pat on the back for this, as well as having the balls to do somethingThe campaign itself feels amazing, and like a completely new experience. As someone who has played through it several times since it's debut - I was shocked at how big a difference a fresh coat of paint could make. As far as positives, I have to say the price is extremely fair for what your getting. Microsoft deserves a pat on the back for this, as well as having the balls to do something this bold. Places that may have been terrible to play through before (such as the library) have been lit up, cleaned up, and are no longer a nightmare to go through. If anything, the experience of playing through this version was better then playing through the last.

The only negative thing about this game, is the bastardization of multiplayer. It's awesome how they re created levels and playlists for you to play in Reach that for the most part - give you the original Halo experience. But (and a strong but), it's just not the same as the original multiplayer. I understand not wanting to segment the community, but I feel stepped on whenever I go to the multiplayer option in this game. So if it's the campaign you wanted to play re mastered, and don't overly care about the multiplayer being incorporated into Reach - this is a must buy.
  97. Nov 18, 2011
    An awesome game:
    Best FPS campaign of the decade, and 2011.
    Great Graphics
    Intelligent Story
    Very well directed terminals.
    Skulls.
    7 awesome maps.

What more do you want?
  98. Nov 20, 2011
    Was my favourite game back in 2001 and is still my favourite game today. No game is yet to beat it. Plus we get an added graphics layer and a whole lot of other bonus stuff, this really is a great game.
  99. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is spectacular in many ways. The well polished campaign does its 10 year old counterpart justice in making everything shine in a way which at least made me smile more than once. The ability to flip back and see the old engine and compare was a big point for me. I love being able to see what the game was on a whim, rather than having to have my computer handy or keep switchingThis game is spectacular in many ways. The well polished campaign does its 10 year old counterpart justice in making everything shine in a way which at least made me smile more than once. The ability to flip back and see the old engine and compare was a big point for me. I love being able to see what the game was on a whim, rather than having to have my computer handy or keep switching discs. The new maps are fun to play and the firefight map is remarkable. It is disappointing, however, that they are done in the Reach engine. While I do love Reach, it detracts from the nostalgia I would like to feel while playing these maps. Nevertheless they are good maps. The $40 price tag makes it more worthwhile and soaks up some of the negatives. I feel sometimes that the game is almost too colorful, however, and the lack of a CE original multiplayer experience is somewhat disappointing. This game would have been worth the full $60 to me, only because I am a hardcore halo fan. For others, it may only be worth the $40. However, if you are not a halo fan, there is little point in picking this game up. Expand
  100. Nov 16, 2011
    El juego se me hizo algo exagerado en los saltos y como que no se adapta mucho el HD habeces se medio traba o asi pero de hay todo me a gustado a la perfeccion

1. Feb 15, 2012
    Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is almost as good in reality as it ever was in your memory. The graphical update is welcome and the multiplayer maps are decent if not amazing. There are a few rough edges and cracks around the once infallible gameplay, but nothing that would stop you enjoying Halo: CE immensely the second (or first – lucky you) time around.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    Nicely done remake of one of the essential games among console FPS genre has the potential to surprise newcomers and thrill the veterans. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 3, 2012
    It's an amazing piece of gaming history, to be certain, but a purchase decision still comes down to this: If you're a fan of the series who loved or missed the original, it's a no-brainer. This is one of the best pieces of fanservice our industry has ever produced, and you need to go buy it. On the other hand, if you're an FPS fanatic trying to decide between this or Rage or Deus Ex, you may want to think twice before dropping 40 bones on a shooter that doesn't quite stack up to the competition.