8.2

1. Apr 2, 2011
    Oh man this game brings back memories. Me and my friends used to play this and SEGA Bass Fishing all day, every day back on the Dreamcast. Well, not this exactly, the original, but this is so close its not even funny. Except this one's way better. The core gameplay remains the same. You drive drifty speedboats through over-the-top courses complete with dragons and giant Norse gods withOh man this game brings back memories. Me and my friends used to play this and SEGA Bass Fishing all day, every day back on the Dreamcast. Well, not this exactly, the original, but this is so close its not even funny. Except this one's way better. The core gameplay remains the same. You drive drifty speedboats through over-the-top courses complete with dragons and giant Norse gods with swinging axes and what not. You fill up boost meters, draft rivals, and pull off huge jumps. There are several modes like race, ring master (where you drive through ring gates as fast as possible), gauntlet and championship. You get bronze, silver, and gold medals based on your finish and are placed on leaderboards. There is also multiplayer which pretty much explains itself. There are also boats, skins, levels and other things to collect. The graphics here won't blow you away because this is essentially the Dreamcast game, although now visuals have been given a little HD polish and there are spray effects and better lighting. Not that the original looked bad, its just more than a decade old and needed a touch up. Hydro Thunder Hurricane is a lot of fun and worth every bit of the 1200 point asking price. Expand
  2. DaveD
    Jul 31, 2010
    Arcade racing bliss! To play it, is to love it. An accomplished update to the infamous racing classic. Well done, Vetor unit.
  3. DP
    Jul 31, 2010
    Its a pretty fun game for multiplayer and to face your friends. It also does a good job at sticking to what the original was like, but better graphics, new levels, and multiplayer.
  4. AdamD
    Jul 30, 2010
    This game is amazing. It's graphics are beautiful and the game play is addictive (I've already clocked 20 hours and I'm still not satisfied). Stop reading reviews and download this game!
  5. CharlesS
    Jul 30, 2010
    An amazing tribute and sequel to the original game, Hydro Thunder Hurricane packs amazing new courses, along with all the original Boats (sans the "Midway," replaced by the "Vector"). HTH is a blast to play, with tons of offline single-player events that offer an awesome challenge (no, really, this game gets difficult) to even veteran Hydro Thunder players. My only complaints are the An amazing tribute and sequel to the original game, Hydro Thunder Hurricane packs amazing new courses, along with all the original Boats (sans the "Midway," replaced by the "Vector"). HTH is a blast to play, with tons of offline single-player events that offer an awesome challenge (no, really, this game gets difficult) to even veteran Hydro Thunder players. My only complaints are the small amount of levels, only eight are present, and the lack of options for the host during online matches. It would be nice to limit the class of boats available. Expand
  6. VictorR
    Jul 30, 2010
    This game is terrible when compared to its origins. As someone who dropped far too many quarters in the Arcade version and who bought the Dreamcast version on day 1, this game pales in comparison. The game doesn't really convey a good sense of speed. After turning this "remake" off and popping in the Dreamcast version (after finding and dusting off my poor old DC), the difference is This game is terrible when compared to its origins. As someone who dropped far too many quarters in the Arcade version and who bought the Dreamcast version on day 1, this game pales in comparison. The game doesn't really convey a good sense of speed. After turning this "remake" off and popping in the Dreamcast version (after finding and dusting off my poor old DC), the difference is like night and day. The DC version felt fast when you were boosting. It also felt like a challenge because it was based off the arcade where they were artificially harder to keep you dropping quarters in. In Hurricane, I took first place on every single race, got gold on my first ring challenge, and first place in the first tournament. *Yawn*. The boats themselves look terrible and I'm convinced the Dreamcast version had better textures, even if they had less polys. One of the things that made HydroThunder was the over-the-top announcer and the silly comments being made by your pilot or spotting crew. Both have been gutted here. The announcer had a reverb effect added to him which makes him sound muted, and the in-race comments are deadpan, at best. Flying down the corridor in Lake Powell with things blowing up and the guy says, in an almost monotone voice: "I didn't sign up for this." Again, *yawn*. All in all, not worth $15. If you have access to the Dreamcast or N64 version, stick to them. Expand
  7. SteveM
    Aug 1, 2010
    This is a classic remake - more fun than the original even! Split screen four way racing with local and online friends is amazing. Some of the jumps are sick. Best game on xbox live right now.
  8. AndrewB
    Jul 28, 2010
    I think this game is awesome. But in the interests of full disclosure, I worked on it. But of all the games I've worked on, this is the most awesome! I still have fun playing multiplayer after a year of working on it.
  9. GregM.
    Jul 28, 2010
    This game is totally awesome! Stays true to the heart of the original, but adds tons of new stuff and the water is totally awesome! GOGOGO!
  10. RobT.
    Jul 28, 2010
    For 15 bucks you get a lot of bang for your buck. If you are looking for a nice little racer this is the game for you. I tried to demo and after one raced purchased it in full and couldn't stop playing for four hours. Just one more race! I recommend this game very much.
  11. ThomasH
    Jul 29, 2010
    It's a classic game, remade with better graphics, better physics, and better multiplayer! What is there not to love? On top of that, a small arcade price! Sure to become another instant classic and the top game for all racers on arcade!
  12. Aug 12, 2010
    Pretty fun game especially the multiplayer in my opinion. Improved graphics, new levels to explore and much more. If you liked the original game I'm shure that you'll like this.
  13. Oct 7, 2010
    the one bad review by xbox world 360 Magazine UK' and they know for bad reviews
  14. Apr 28, 2011
    Beautiful, the one word that describes this game best. Exciting arcade racing that doesnt take realism into account so much, which allows the game to be enjoyable and do things more serious racers don't. This game is brilliant, the arcade feel, the multiplayer the complete package one of the best racing games on xbox live, another dreamcast remake that lives should be seen as an instantBeautiful, the one word that describes this game best. Exciting arcade racing that doesnt take realism into account so much, which allows the game to be enjoyable and do things more serious racers don't. This game is brilliant, the arcade feel, the multiplayer the complete package one of the best racing games on xbox live, another dreamcast remake that lives should be seen as an instant xbox live arcade classic. Expand

1. Dec 13, 2010
    Coming straight from the '90, Hurricane successfully replicates the gameplay of the first episode, coming up with an arcade game that is not really common nowadays. Not for everyone, but if you are missing the old good coin-op days, this could be a nice choice.
  2. Vector Unit has certainly succeeded in its mandate of "big games in small packages" with Hydro Thunder Hurricane, and for that alone it's hard not to recommend. Despite its shortcomings Hydro Thunder Hurricane is ultimately a fun game to play and a worthy XBLA purchase.
  3. Hydro Thunder Hurricane is clearly a work of nostalgia, there aren't really any new ideas here, just a fervent desire to return video game racing to a time when speed and fun meant more than complex career modes and customizable liveries.