Killer Is Dead Xbox 360

7.1

1. Sep 20, 2016
    Great graphic style. Bullsh*t QTEfest instead of gameplay. Press X many-many times when it shows up or you will die. Games nowadays are all miserable. For nobrainers only.
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    Just traded this in. Thought it would be good but this is a poor poor game. It's obvious it thinks its better than it is with the stupid arrogant storyline. Graphics are really ropey. Probably worth £10. It's gonna be a three from me.
  3. Sep 16, 2013
    what an awlful start for a game; i've completed 2 missions, scored leaderboards and yet i've did absolutely nothing!! can't believe how a game gets published like this. just remember the start from Farcry 3 folks; that's how you hook someone into a game. I'm a No More Heroes huge fan but i can't bear such lack of attention to game flow anymore.
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    If you aren't a big fan of Goichi Suda, I'd recommend skipping this game. There has been a big hoopla over sexism and related topics, but I simply don't care about that. If anything, I respected the creators more for bucking the trend of sanitizing games and being overly PC. However, the game is plagued with all sorts of issues.

The game's narrative is fragmented and the plot is

The game's narrative is fragmented and the plot is incomprehensible, and that may be a selling point to some (I enjoy games with confusing plots), but it was disjointed in a very bad way. The characters were flat and were beyond "trope-y" into the realm of pure cliche. This can be used to a game's benefit if the developers know how lame their characters are and are acting as a satire. This game is not one of those games. The developers apparently wanted you to unironically think that the characters are cool and hip. The dialogue makes attempts to be mysterious and deep, but just ends up being eye-rollingly bad.

The graphics are another domain in which the game falls flat. Shadows are overused to the point of parody with one of the most unpleasantly pervasive filters in recent memory. However, this is small change compared to the game's major graphical flaw: screen tearing. It doesn't matter how complex an environment is, how many enemies are present, etc there will be screen tearing. It was not a subtle amount either, it was constant and severe. It was terrible enough to the point that I had to pause the game several times because it was making me physically dizzy. In the most literal sense imaginable, I have never played a console game with screen tearing this extreme. I genuinely don't know how it did not get resolved in quality assurance.

I have nothing good or bad to say about the sound. There is a soundtrack, and it is neither noticeable bad enough to mute the BGM, nor good enough to remember any of the tracks later. It is simply there. The voice acting isn't bad, but because of the poor quality of dialogue, no one says anything worth listening to anyway. The game is also hounded with issues of poorly synched dialogue, so if you loved the terrible synching from old Godzilla/Gojira movies, this may be a plus for you.

The gameplay was so-so, overall. The combat is actually pretty solid; however, the constant screen tearing takes away almost any fun I had while in combat. That isn't to say that the combat was stellar, though; if you want a game with great, fast-paced combat, I'd recommend playing a Platinum game instead. The much ballyhooed Gigolo mode was boring and bland. While I can see why the ultra-sensitive crowd is upset about sexism, the average individual will find nothing objectionable (beyond how tedious and simplistic it is). For those that are just so worked up and morally offended they can't bear to play this mode, you are in luck as it is completely optional. The only thing you'll miss out on is a few forgettable sub-weapons and tedium.

All in all, there wasn't a single front where this game did not fail, in my opinion. If you are a huge fan of Suda51, there's nothing I can say to dissuade you from picking this up (and you might even enjoy it), and you are likely reading my review to get angry. For those of you that aren't Suda51 diehards, I'd recommend avoiding this game if at all possible. If you absolutely must try this game, perhaps thinking this game is "so bad it's good" (it's not), or that I'm off base (I don't think I am, but I'm not perfect), then I'd recommend renting it, or seeing as the sales are pretty abysmal, wait 2 to 3 months until it drops to $10-$15 for a used copy.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 3, 2013
    Suda 51's unique off-the-wall style comes at a price, with gameplay, polish and coherence left by the wayside. [Nov 2013, p.77]
  2. Oct 3, 2013
    A classic Suda 51 game, with a unique art direction and a well written story. If you are a fan of Suda you know what to expect here.
  3. Sep 23, 2013
    Not Suda51's best effort.