3.5

1. Apr 3, 2012
    It is an amazing Kinect-Game and the best out there. The Presentation ist good, Controls great and there is a lot of Content to enjoy. What may piss people off is, that the Game is a family game and not a core game as many of us would have expected but regardless of that : A damn good family game.
  2. May 11, 2012
    This is a fun game, not for core game players, obviously, but perfectly enjoyable for what amounts to a Kinect arcade offering. I think the dancing was silly but the kids really love it. In fact, the kids (7 and 10 yrs) are very reluctant to stop playing. I would recommend this to anyone who isn't looking for a life changing game.
  3. Apr 4, 2012
    Great game if you have Kinect, functionality works well and there is virtually no lag. If you enjoy your star wars game / Kinect games then you get this, or at least try the demo.
  4. Apr 11, 2012
    I'm not even a Star Wars fan because I've never seen a movie yet. But Kinect Star Wars is a real fun game. I've been playing for a while and in my opinion, it's a game only for fun, to feel like a Jedi or a Monster. I haven't played the dance part, I don't like dancing, but the rest of the game is amazing. And the 3D effects are great. The first Kinect game with 3D support I'veI'm not even a Star Wars fan because I've never seen a movie yet. But Kinect Star Wars is a real fun game. I've been playing for a while and in my opinion, it's a game only for fun, to feel like a Jedi or a Monster. I haven't played the dance part, I don't like dancing, but the rest of the game is amazing. And the 3D effects are great. The first Kinect game with 3D support I've played and I'm happy with this game. Kinect games can't be reviewed as a "serious" Star Wars game in my opinion. Kinect is fun and the aim of those games is only to have lots of fun. I think that it's one of the best Kinect games, so I rate it an excellent game. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2012
    THIS GAME IS AMAZING!!!!!!! THIS GAME HAS AMAZING GAMEPLAY IN EVERY SINGLE SECTION. I REALLY LOVE THE DANCE BATTLE PART OF THE GAME BECAUSE IT MADE MY CHILDHOOD EVEN BETTER. THE ONLY THING THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDED TO THIS GAME IS TDM, DOMINATION, AND SEARCH AND DESTROY. ALSO KILLSTREAKS WOULDN'T HURT. BUY THIS GAME. 10/10
  6. Jan 26, 2014
    This game is a combination of dancing and star wars combined! it's amazing and I love it!!! EVERYONE SHOULD LOVE IT!! I WAS NOT PAID TO MAKE THIS REVIEW!!! GET IT NOW! :D
  7. Apr 3, 2012
    I know there's been a lot f negativity directed towards this game over the past year with some valid concerns (possibly on rails, not 1:1 controls, etc...) along some equally ridiculous criticism (not Battlefront 3, "Lightsaber On!", etc...), but some of this is expected when creating new content for a franchise with millions of fans with incredibly diverse backgrounds both within andI know there's been a lot f negativity directed towards this game over the past year with some valid concerns (possibly on rails, not 1:1 controls, etc...) along some equally ridiculous criticism (not Battlefront 3, "Lightsaber On!", etc...), but some of this is expected when creating new content for a franchise with millions of fans with incredibly diverse backgrounds both within and outside of their love for Star Wars.

Firstly, I'd like to say that the developers of this game really stepped it up and fought though some major obstacles to deliver what I feel is the first really solid experience for the Kinect. As soon as I loaded up the game I was immediately impressed by the presentation. The menu backdrops were interesting enough that they grabbed my attention and familiar enough that I wasn't distracted from my purpose, getting into gameplay. I am immediately hit by a wave of nostalgia upon seeing C3-PO and R2, who act as our guides and welcome companions throughout the menus and experiences of the game. Controls for the menu screens are fairly standard fair for the Kinect at this point, but they've also added voice command functionality as a very welcome addition for those that loath the monotony of holding a hand up to cover a selection while an animated circle slowly separates a piece of your soul from your body.

I fully intended to jump straight into Jedi since that's what we're all here for, but became compelled to select Rancor Rage after seeing the roaring monster pop up in the menu. Selections were made easy since most of the content is locked by default and must be unlocked by bashing and smashing your way through galactic civilization, fine by me. It's a bit disorienting at first, being thrust into this large hulking monster, but with a few quick instruction prompts and a hologram I quickly understood how to move the beast. As soon as I collided with the first building, everything went out the window in the face of some of the most satisfying physics I've seen in a game. They're not terribly realistic compared to Battlefield or other modern sims (what with all the bouncing cages and rag-dolling civilians); however, it quickly becomes obvious why this decision was made and this mode is all the better for making you an immense force of nature tearing down and through anything in your path. The enemies are interesting and gradually build up in size, numbers, and difficulty as you threaten to destroy more of the city. Words cannot describe the satisfaction of jump, double-clotheslining a squad of three T.I.E. fighters as they make a strafing run through the city. Overall this mode is robust and after hours of play is still providing new and amazing moments that make you freak out once you've done it.

Alright, so now that I'm exhausted (rampaging for hours is hard work and Godzilla is my new hero) it's time for some Jedi Destiny: Dark Side Rising. Yeah it's kin of a mouthful, but that's alright since it's almost natural to just shorten it to Jedi Destiny anyway. So, I'll start by saying I was pleasantly surprised by the large selection of Padawans that I could choose to start my journey through the campaign. The campaign opens up with the traditional beginning to any Star Wars movie and I find that I would have it no other way. I won't go into specifics of the story except to say that again, the presentation of this mode is complete and makes you feel like you've stepped into a Star Wars movie. As I progress through the training levels (refreshingly short and to the point compared to most tutorials) I find that the controls operate very smoothly and transition well from one move to another. There is some animation, but it seems subtle and both the Jedi and my saber seem to respond immediately as I make even slight movements. In combat, all of this immediately broke down and I began trying to do everything at once; this is a terrible idea in this game. As with other Kinect titles I've played, the sensor seems to have difficulty interpreting all of these movements at the same time so what you get is sporadic, flailing movements (possibly also what I look like playing the game) that unpredictably activate the moves you intended and make you feel like you've lost control. Now, it should be said that flailing can be extremely effective as it tends to break down AI attempts at defense. However, it isn't a very fun way to play except for maybe kids; who I'm sure will have a blast flying through the levels with their seemingly endless reserves of energy. It should also be noted, that when I slowed down and really thought about what I wanted to do and began stringing moves together this mode became extremely fun. Doing so makes this mode so much better and makes me feel much more like a Jedi patiently and calmly wading through the midst of huge battles and seemingly endless enemies.

A cynical package that doesn't do the Star Wars franchise any justice whatsoever. [Issue#85, p.92]
  2. May 15, 2012
    Kinect Star Wars is a double edged sword. On one side, using the force with the Kinect sensor is immensely satisfying. On the other side, Kinect is just what is holding this game back. All in all, it's just another shallow and lacking tech demo from Microsofts admittingly impressive motion sensor.
  3. May 14, 2012
    Crappy in places, but frequently very fun. You might hate yourself for not hating it. [June 2012, p.74]