L.A. Noire Xbox 360

7.8

1. Mar 28, 2017
    A decent game that showed a lot of potential before launch. When it did launch things didn't quite go to plan though. The game can get real boring real fast but is still worth a play through.
  2. Rem
    Oct 8, 2015
    L.A. Noire, for its time, was a technical marvel, impressing the gaming community with its facial scan technology and almost uncanny recreation of the corrupt 1950s Los Angeles. Backing up its gameplay was the slew of detective work playing as Detective Cole Phelps, an incredibly flawed yet nuanced character that you spend your time doing interrogations, linking clues, and chasing/shootingL.A. Noire, for its time, was a technical marvel, impressing the gaming community with its facial scan technology and almost uncanny recreation of the corrupt 1950s Los Angeles. Backing up its gameplay was the slew of detective work playing as Detective Cole Phelps, an incredibly flawed yet nuanced character that you spend your time doing interrogations, linking clues, and chasing/shooting perps. Through almost 20 cases, you perform these tasks in tandem, which over the course of several cases is refreshing, but eventually loses steam towards the end over how monotonous it can be. The real treat lies in the immersion of the city, where every single detail is succinct down to the last hairbrush and the music is on point with 50s classics. Advertisements hint at the corruption in the city and the cars are incredibly faithful to the time. Another sticking point would have to be the script in which it evokes the true noir that many games fail to emulate what LA Noire delivers in spades. Of course this is also lent by the incredibly lifelike facial animations which in turn is not voice acting, but acting in a technical sense. While there exists an open world, it's devoid of anything to do for the most part aside from optional police missions and even then those are brief. For a game so bent in immersing you, LA Noire teases you with much but gives you little and sets you on a straight path towards its narrative conclusion, to which is kind of disappointing. Nonetheless, nobody can deny the amount of work went into this landmark achievement of technical and artistic design that is the corrupt city of Los Angeles. Expand
  3. Feb 24, 2014
    L.A. Noire's biggest attraction is that it's from a genre many of us don't play too often. Without this, the game is just 'ok'. The game's best asset is the facial animations which will definitely impress. The two things really holding this game back though is the repetition and core game mechanics. Early on you discover every case essentially involves the same investigate, interrogate,L.A. Noire's biggest attraction is that it's from a genre many of us don't play too often. Without this, the game is just 'ok'. The game's best asset is the facial animations which will definitely impress. The two things really holding this game back though is the repetition and core game mechanics. Early on you discover every case essentially involves the same investigate, interrogate, chase sequence which gets old pretty fast. Sure you can drive around in the open world but there is absolutely nothing to do, which really defeats the purpose of designing this game as a sandbox. Further you can even skip driving scenes which although handy, again makes you wonder why this game is open world. The second issue though is really what holds this game back, being the questioning for investigations and interrogations. Whilst it makes sense to have a limited number of clues and questions from a gameplay point of view, the problem is that many responses and outcomes do not logically connect or are used in ways inconsistent with how they should or could be used. Many times you will know the answer to the case however you will be marked wrong because the game does not describe the dialogue lines that will accompany the evidence you choose, or when the game fails to recognise that the evidence can be used in more than one way. Other times you can convict someone with little or no evidence at all, or evidence that would never hold up in the real world ( I was once somehow able to prove a person wasn't home the night before because he had a wet jacket on his door despite the fact it was raining when I got there and it was 24 hours later.... what??) The unfortunate outcome of this is that there is really no intellectual component to the game at all, but rather trial and error. To cap this all off the game is littered with glitches and bugs that completely ruin missions as events won't trigger (or did somehow trigger but you never saw it), locations won't show, or missions will have to be completed in specific sequences of events to be able to get the mission completely correct with no indication or guidance whatsoever which can completely ruin your mission. I was unable to complete a case perfectly because I elected to skip a car ride which was supposed to trigger a radio call- why should the game penalise you if it gives you the option in the first place and gives no warning you are to receive the call!!! Later when I triggered the event I was unable to proceed with the investigation because I had missed the order of events and could not go and question the suspect with the new information despite them being in the lock up... which just makes no sense whatsoever. Did anyone at Team Bondi even test this game? All in all an ok game with no replayability - worth a try once but that will be enough. Expand
  4. Dec 26, 2013
    l.a. noire is a good game but it doesn't reach the level of rockstar games in the past few years,other problem is the difficulty of this game wich is too much hard.
  5. Nov 27, 2013
    I am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun playI am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun play which was poor and remarkably easy and lastly the interrogation scenes which to be honest were more frustrating than anything due to lack of information on what your character is actually going to say and inconsistencies in the facial gives. I found the game entertaining but by the end was just hoping to get it over and done with. Expand
  6. May 27, 2013
    I bought this game when it first came out and enjoyed it, and recently I decided to give it a go again as the game is now coming up to being two years old.

- The game's single player campaign is rather long. I've been playing it fairly nonstop for about 15-16 hours now and still have at least two more departments to get through (vice and arson). To say the least, the gameplay has been rather fun, but it has begun to get quite tedious and repetitive. Even though the cases are all different and unique, you can't help but feel like you're doing the same thing over and over once you've done a handful of them. The uniqueness eventually wears off, and right now I feel like I'm playing the game more to finish it than anything else.

- The story of the game has a main overreaching arch and several subplots going on at the same time. It's not a bad story by any means, but due to many of the characters being unlikeable, or simply uninteresting, it has became rather difficult for me to really care as to what's going on. In fact, I've really stopped paying much attention to the story and am simply going through the motions until I get to the next gunfight or suspect chase. It's a shame because the story really is quite unique, but the lack of depth or real connection to any of the game's characters really does kill it for me.

- If you're familiar with other Rockstar titles then you're away of the open, sandbox style most of their games has. This game simultaneously is the same as those other titles and completely different. While I wouldn't necessarily expect the ability to go on a shooting rampage as you could in the GTA franchise, I found myself rather limited as to what I could do in this world. Late 40's LA has been beautifully reproduced, but there's no depth to the city and nothing really to do in it. I can't draw my gun whenever I want to, my character can't explore nearly as many buildings, there are no real mini games to be found, there are no natural 'ramps' I can jump cars off of, etc... In essence, it's a prettier version of GTA that lacks and real playability outside of the actual campaign. It's a shame too because the city is well done, but since I can't do anything with it other than look at it I find myself getting bored with it easily. Unfortunately, this means the game has little replay value unless you're like me, beat it once, and then come back to it 2 years later when it's finally somewhat fresh again.

- The cases in the game are fun to play through at first, but after awhile you'll realize that there really are no ways you can genuinely screw up a case so that it will greatly affect the outcome of the story. Sure you might limit what questions you can ask a suspect or what parts of a case you can actually play through, but you'll still end up finishing each case and moving on as if the previous results were insignificant to the utmost degree. This has really put me down a bit as I now feel no need to be careful with my decision making and can run through each mission without trying hard to succeed. In a sense, the 'need' to play well has been completely killed for me.

- As to the actual interrogation aspect of the game, which was a major selling point and highlight for the game, I can tell you that it's really not all that it's cracked up to be. Sometimes you'll be interrogating someone and they'll give off a look that makes you think they're lying to you, but somehow the correct response will be 'truth'. Likewise, a character might look like they're being completely truthful but the answer will be 'doubt'. Sometimes you can even tell a character is lying and you'll have the evidence to prove it, but the game will want a different piece of evidence than the one you selected or they'll want you to select 'doubt' instead of accusing them of lying. This becomes UNBELIEVABLY frustrating after awhile, and since you know the outcome of each case doesn't affect the outcome of the game you wind up asking yourself why you're even bothering with the game (something I've done numerous times now, but I still have yet to be able to turn the 360 off on this game for good).

In summary, this gameplay and story are unique enough that if you're into the whole noire/detective thing, or if you just want something different, then this game is definitely worth a rent, borrow from a friend, or even a buy if you can get it for ~$10, but there's really little other reason to pick it up. The replay value simply isn't there, and the gameplay itself is only good enough if it's you're interested in. It's not a bad game, it's just not a great one, either. I give it a 5.5 out of 10.
  7. Apr 19, 2013
    Rockstar Games have earned a good reputation in gaming circles for high production values and that trend continues with the Team Bondi developed LA Noire. Set in the late 1940s the game is an interactive detective story following the career of ex-army lieutenant Cole Phelps.

There have been complaints from those expecting a Grand Theft Auto (GTA) style open world game but LA Noire was never advertised as such. The game is far more structured than any GTA game, or even Red Dead Redemption for that matter, and the focus of the game remains firmly on solving the cases provided by searching crime scenes (in the manner of the old point and click adventures) and questioning witnesses/suspects. The much vaunted facial mapping technology is very impressive even if it does still becomes all but impossible to spot when someone is hiding the truth in later cases. The game is not totally devoid of action however with most cases involving a few shoot outs, car chases or rooftop pursuits and these are fairly well implemented even if the controls aren’t always as precise as they could be.

Many of the cases are fairly interesting and the script writing, while still not up to the quality of the best TV programmes, is certainly better than the majority of those seen in video games. A number of other minor flaws, such as a few repetitive cases, can be largely ignored but one complaint that certainly can't be is that all too often it feels more like you are being lead through some of the investigations rather than actually playing the role of detective. Regardless of any choices made the game plays out in virtually the same way and this comes very close to making the gameplay pointless on occasions. For many the atmosphere created will allow them to get past this but it all means the game does not live up to the hype.
  8. Mar 22, 2013
    The technical achievements are undeniable, but it is simply not that entertaining with its unmemorable plot, monotonous gameplay, nonexistent re-playability, and underwhelming characters.
  9. Aug 23, 2012
    my god that was a trudge at the end. i understand what they were trying to do with this game, but this game never should've been "open world". I'm sort of glad it failed commercially since open world for the sake of open world is blah. The game never really hit the heights needed to make up for its lows.
  10. Jul 31, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases hasL.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases has a weird and unnatural progression combined with a lack of interactivity, the side missions are quite similar to each other, the interviewing mechanics could be improved and the biggest flaw of them all is that the game gets repetitive. No matter the case the gameplay structure stays the same. The game is a pony with a few tricks it keeps showing over and over again and quite frankly it gets kind of boring after a while. If you however like me play 1 or 2 cases every now and then you are probably going to have a blast. This game could have been fantastic, in the end its simply good. Hopefully some game in the future will fix be just that. Expand
  11. Jul 18, 2012
    This is a tricky game to write a review for due to the fact that this game is for an extremely select few. To give a bit of background: Noir is my favorite genre of film and fiction, I was practically raised on the stuff.

The best summary I can give is this: The game play elements all play well but they are mediocre at best- the action and driving is standard and polished however does not stand out amongst games that hold a more consistent focus on third-person action (Max Payne 3) or driving (any GTA game). When I speak of driving elements in L.A. Noire, the driving is fun but because points are deducted if the player does anything that is logically contradicting to a police officer's duty- this makes sense- but any sort of vigilantism is nonexistent, which is peculiar given that the game is supposed to be about corruption and scandalous themes. Sure, the main character is a "goody two shoes" but it would be cool if there was a development where he becomes more of an antihero- this would make it classic noir.

On the note of vigilantism, the game is initself a contribution to the noir genre - this brings up a minor complaint on my behalf that the game is spelled "noire" as if its trying to be avant garde or chic despite the fact that it could have easily been spelled "L.A. Noir" and perhaps would have looked better; many elements of noir are not present (focus on shadows, the hero being an anti hero), although the cliches of murder, crime etc are present. I suppose this is insignificant in the big picture though.

The highlight and main focus on the game lies in the interrogation of suspects and witnesses, and it is in this regard that the game does get some major pros- the cons inherent are that, after a while, it can become extremely difficult to get the "correct" answers (being "lie," "truth," "doubt") and the major encouraging facet that how some of the missions unfold and how the plot is unveiled is based on the where, who, how and why's extracted from interrogations can be very clever.

Though, for a perfectionist who wants to get down the "perfect" (or close to "perfect") accomplishment of tacit objectives in the missions, there is a requirement of having to restart the entire mission and some of the longer cutscenes cannot be skipped; as well the same interrogations must be done to lead one from one character to the next.

The plot is good. People have compared it to L.A. Confidential, which is a fair comparison, though I would say that the film is much better and (perhaps ironic to the game) executed in a fashion more fitting to the noir genre.

It's not that this game is bad, it's just not stellar or even very great, in the long run. Rent it or borrow it first from a friend but keep in mind the game becomes understandably formulaic. Regardless it should be praised for being unique- but being unique has never made a game a standalone classic or an absolute must have.
  12. Jul 3, 2012
    Graphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facialGraphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facial recognition of lies etc, is an interesting concept - one they haven't really pulled off 100% (amusingly, faults are mostly due to the odd bad actor rather than the technology but it's still very good) but you have to commend the effort.

It's not going to be something you play again when you finish it, but I'd describe it as the perfect rental title. You'll finish it in a week, and feel pretty good about it when you do. So, for me, I'll ignore the repetitiveness, the overall air of pretention and just how casual the game is overall and give it a decent score. In short, you just have to recognise it for what it is. 7/10.
  13. May 28, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game, it looks really nice, but fun factor wise i give a 6
  14. Apr 9, 2012
    I was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but II was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but I found it all but useless. Most of the time characters acted and looked the same irrelevant of whether they were lying or not. And if you got it wrong (and wanted 5 starts) you had to start over. I spent more time wasting away on replaying missions and sitting through the unskippable cutscenes just because the game illogically felt someone was lying. If the LAPD was so blind and stupid in that era that they couldn't recognize when they arrested the wrong person or when someone was lying then LA would have never survived. The entire "who's guilty and who's innocent" was nothing more than a writer's poor attempt at creating a believable story. There were only a handful of cases where the guilty party even made sense. It was so horribly bad.

The vehicles were hard (and unrealistic) to control, the traffic AI was really bad and the driving sections made little sense. Never once couuld I (a detective in LAPD) catch someone who decided to drive away - businessman, student, whatever. Even worse was that traffic lights seemed coded to be red when you needed to go through them so you end up driving the entire time with your siren on. Even then half the time cars would pull out in front of you anyway.

The story also went about 2 desks too long. After the homicide desk they should have stopped but instead they continued to bring down the story with the additional desks. The arson was perhaps the worst as you hardly ever played as the person you were playing the first 4 desks. Finally the save points were in bad places - just before unskippable cutscenes, after some point where you couldn't go back, etc.

On the positive notes the combat seemed reasonable, the city was huge (a good thing since you end up driving all around it forever), the graphics were great and the acting wasn't too bad. The collectibles (especially since you couldn't easily track them) needed some work and it would have been nice if the collectibles were more than just a checkbox on your list. The city could also have been used better. As it stood I always had my partner drive just to get to the next part of the game.

I was so excited about this game but by the time I was half way through the game I was ready for it to end and not really impressed. I've never really been that impressed with Rockstar's games and from now on I'm going to strongly evaluate whether I'll purchase them. They just don't have a good track record of creating good ending and games worth playing.
  15. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved the art and style of this title but ultimately I couldn't get into the protagonist Cole Phelps. The overarching plot involves the detective's rise in the LAPD over several years. This thread intertwines with Phelps' past in the Marines told in a series of flashbacks in the form of cutscenes. Eventually the past and present come together to define the character.

The game itself

The game itself plays as an interactive detective movie set in post-ww2 LA. PCC streetcars roll the wide boulevards as you drive to the crime scenes. I ultimately hated the car chase scenes. The controls weren't intuitive for me.

The facial technology that went into the characters while you are interrogating them was quite impressive, however I felt that this aspect of gameplay became almost like work as I tried to read body language to determine if the person was lying.
  16. Feb 11, 2012
    There are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It wasThere are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It was not very satisfying to solve a case with one real suspect, and annoying to get it wrong for insignificant seeming little details. The controls are pretty clunky on the ground, which makes any shooting parts not particularly enjoyable. Overall it's a fun game with a good story, but I think it could have been executed a lot better. Expand
  17. Jan 1, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the BlackI was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the Black Dahlia, but I didn't like everything else you did in the game. The characters were kinda dull, especially the main character. I definitely didn't Cole and his character as he really wasn't very likable, nor could you relate to him very easily. The sandbox portions of this game were very lacking and that's especially sad coming from a company that was affiliated with Rockstar during the development of this game. Now there were some good things in this game. The well documented Motion Scan for all the facial animations was very nice and groundbreaking. However there were more bad things than good with this game for me and that's very disappointing for a game with such promise. There were some good things here that they could have capitalized on to make a tremendous game. Instead this game will forever be in the category of what could have been, along with Duke Nukem Forever. Expand
  18. Dec 20, 2011
    The interactive detective gameplay runs smoothly and becomes pretty addicting. But I think they could have gotten a bit more creative with the cases. The plots of each murder/case are supposed to tie into each other for the sake of the overall plot, but somehow that doesn't make the repetition any less painful.
  19. Dec 6, 2011
    It starts off interesting and is good for a few hours but repetitive objectives, boring gameplay, and confusing interigation tactics leave this game's potential down for the count. It looks and sounds great and it very original and unique (something we havent seen for a while) but it gets so boring. It doesnt help that the plot to the game takes far too long to develope and it ends poorly as well.
  20. Nov 23, 2011
    OVERVIEW: I was very excited for this game, as the new genre appealed to me. Although it delivered on that part, the various other problems makes it difficult to play.

PROS: The style and feel of 1940's LA is spot on; and that is helped by the great graphics. The great graphics also deliver a new facial system which I really enjoyed. It basically takes the actors face and puts it into game, which is crucial for the lie detection system that Rockstar put into the game. The part about the gameplay that I enjoyed was the detective stuff. Searching for clues, interrogating people, etc. The story was also brilliantly told, except it was shown through the very last part of the game.

CONS: Like I just said, the great story is the last of many small stories told through various cases. Each case equals a story except for the last few cases which are connected and tell a bigger story. The game comes on 3 disks, so that is a lot of random cases that I didn't fine entertaining. The none detective gameplay involves car chases, shootings, foot pursuits, etc. This was relatively bland and got very repetitive. The only thing to do besides the main cases was answering to radio calls, which consisted of the above styles of gameplay. LA Noire was also very consistent with other Rockstar games, which for me is a bad thing.

GRAPHICS: 9 out of 10; Great visuals and cool new facial animations made it look very realistic. STORYLINE: 7 out of 10; The ending was great, but the ending began halfway through disk three.
    GAMEPLAY: 5 out of 10; Detective gameplay was unique but the rest was very repetitive and uncreative.
    LASTING APPEAL: 4 out of 10; The same thing for three disks gets pretty boring. Again, only the end made me want to keep playing.
    OVERALL: 6 out of 10

CONCLUSION: LA Noire was a great idea that just failed to deliver on the typical video game aspects. It is hard to get past this and envy the great style and feel for the game.
  21. Nov 21, 2011
    When you get past the innovation and face expressions what you have is an average game that reminds me of the repetitive game play that was once assassins creed. It was fun half way in after that I could care less. I know its a detective story and its not GTA however picking A, B or C in the end is still A,B or C.
  22. Nov 3, 2011
    Good story line and interesting characters make this game well worth playing and the detective type role offers an unusual game playing experience on the downside the chase felon, drive to point A, chase felon, drive to point B sections get a little repetitive but still worth a play through.
  23. Sep 28, 2011
    L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is.L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is. The facial animations are unlike anything in any other game and are so realistic that I can often recognize real actors/actresses as characters in the game. The one downside is that the amount of information in these animations pushes the game to use 3 discs for the XBox 360. The game's scale is certainly not equivalent to a standard game on 3 discs. At first the game totally captures the player's attention. Being a detective and actually using reasoning skills in a video game is an impressive new experience that I think needs to be further developed in the future. Unfortunately, there's one major problem with the concept: how can make a game that fits the player's ability to reason? Everyone has their own logic, and although these different reasons may be sound and true and come to the same conclusion, L.A. Niore's gameplay struggles with the problem of a linear game trying to fit a dynamic player's thoughts. Interrogations with suspects consists of analyzing the suspect's verbal and body language and deciding whether to believe, doubt, or accuse the suspect of lying. Believing and doubting are vague enough to allow for multiple ways of thinking, however the game handles accusations of dishonesty poorly IMO because it requires you to present a piece of evidence as proof that the suspect is lying. The problem is that this allows for one and only one method of thinking. Just as an example, in one investigation I found a stash of military grade morphine in the suspect's possession. When he denied it, I accused him of lying and presented the stash as evidence. Makes sense right? Sure it makes sense, but the game is programmed to accept one piece of evidence specifically, and that piece of evidence wasn't the right piece of evidence. What WAS the correct piece of evidence was another suspects accusation. Yes, they both come to the same conclusion, he's lying. However, the game only allows for one method of thinking in order to solve cases. There's a system of "intuition" points that are essentially life-lines when you come into these situations, however these one-time uses only partially solve the problem. Also, later on in the game as your cases demand you travel to more locations, it actually becomes necessary for you to visit these locations in a specific order to be able to get the right pieces of evidence by time you need them. However, there's no way to know which one you need to go to first so whether or not you get a 5-star rating will come to depend on luck. Lastly, there's no save system, which could have helped a lot to solve these issues, but as it stands the only way to load game is to restart an entire investigation which will take hours. Another problem with the game is FILLER. This game has more filler content than anything I've ever played. In the beginning when you are searching for a particular criminal, you are going to solve hours worth of cases before you make any progress whatsoever (it's hard to talk about without spoiling it). Sure the cases are interesting, but the game completely loses its sense of direction after hours of irrelevance. The open world has mixed results. It's only there as immersion and atmosphere and has nothing to do with gameplay or exploration (there are monuments you can find but that is so underdeveloped that I refuse to count that as exploration). Driving throughout the world will require that you follow the rules of the road which I just find to be more filler than fun, and any mistakes you make on the road (which I guarantee will happen because the AI drivers are atrocious) will be saved and remembered as property damages which will negatively affect your mission rating. There is, however, a way to bypass this and fast travel by telling your partner to drive instead of you. Finally, everything other than investigating is highly underdeveloped. The gunplay is absolutely terrible and boring, and car chases are linear and frustrating with unresponsive vehicle controls and terrible AI drivers. As with any rockstar-published title, there are plenty of serious and adult themes throughout the story, but unlike other titles, L.A. Noire only mentions them rather than further developing them. The game at its core experience is gold, but there are simply too many flaws standing between that golden experience and the player himself. It's easy to tell how much Rockstar Games struggled working with Team Bondi in the areas of the game that are pathetically underdeveloped, and a future title with a little more directional focus could take this concept to the stars. Expand
  24. Sep 24, 2011
    A great man once said, "If you build it, they will come." And so it is with Rockstar: any game they put out will inevitably be purchased by me and every other 15-30 year old male who doesn't do the Buffalo Bill dance and coodle their unbearably annoying yip-yip dog.

I don't regret my purchase for it's worth it if just for the facial animations and unique game play. But alas, as you might have already heard, this game can be dreadfully boring.
  25. Sep 10, 2011
    sure at the beginning it is fun, but after a few missions it is just so repetitive. The facial expressions are great but sometimes the world seems so fake.
  26. X11
    Aug 28, 2011
    Decent. Interesting premise. Competently done. Story was quite good at points. Rockstar voice-acting, better than most as usual. Not hoping for another in the series, however.
  27. Aug 15, 2011
    I kept hearing all the hype about this game, but I really couldn't get a grasp for it. I really wanted to see screenshots and in-game videos. Nevertheless, I decided to jump on board and buy a copy. Unfortunately, the game lives up to its hype, but nothing else. It's great for showcasing the facial expression technology, and from the attention to detail in recreating historic L.A. isI kept hearing all the hype about this game, but I really couldn't get a grasp for it. I really wanted to see screenshots and in-game videos. Nevertheless, I decided to jump on board and buy a copy. Unfortunately, the game lives up to its hype, but nothing else. It's great for showcasing the facial expression technology, and from the attention to detail in recreating historic L.A. is impressive, but it fails to entertain me. The investigations consist of a series of multiple choice decisions that you can re-do until you get it right. The game is wholly unfulfilling as there are too many tedious activities and not enough exciting rewards. Expand
  28. Aug 2, 2011
    The first 2/3 of the game are one long tutorial that finally picks up the Noir beat for the final stretch. However, the best parts end up more watched than played. Its worth playing if you're interested in games in general, and it's not bad for new gamers looking to hone their skills. Is it amazing? No. It is interesting? Yes.
  29. Jul 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimesL.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimes that can be attended at any time (all of which can be skipped if desired) but the main focus of the game is the crime scene investigation and suspect interrogation. On the surface they are both very intruiging elements of gameplay but after a few hours of them, it is clear to see there isn't much depth and that proving a suspect is lying requires one piece of concrete evidence, which can be frustrating when you have multiple items that link them to the crime, but the game says "no, it has to be the correct ONE". The well detailed facial animations are the game's highlight and really help to sell each character, unfortunately everything else just seems ot have been pushed to the sidelines. Cover and shooting mechanics feel very sluggish and will lead to many a pointless death, car handling feels like you are trying to control a shopping cart weighed down with bowling balls and there really isn't anything to do in the large an oppulent recreation of L.A. The game does the atmosphere and the detective gameplay brilliantly, it's just a shame it doesn't do the other areas of the game as well. It's also a shame that the game is a product of Team Bondi's slave driving approach to development. Expand
  30. Jul 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice innovative game. To keep it short:
    + Good story, for most of the game
    + Investigating is fun and original + Atmosphere, music and aesthetics are great + Action is ok + Allows you to skip parts after a few attempts to continue the story. Great idea! + Faces look terrific. + I really liked some of the main characters. - Investigation is seriously lacking. Most of the
    L.A. Noire is a nice innovative game. To keep it short:
    + Good story, for most of the game
    + Investigating is fun and original
    + Atmosphere, music and aesthetics are great
    + Action is ok
    + Faces look terrific.
    + I really liked some of the main characters.

- Investigation is seriously lacking. Most of the time it's trial and error, and error means the clue is gone forever. Knowing when to press (try to get more by intimidating) or to reveal a lie (by presenting evidence) can be very confusing and frustrating. The faces don't always help, since sometimes the "lying motion"only kicks in after 15 seconds. Phoenix Wright got this way, WAY better.
    - The story is sometimes extremely poorly told. With the plethora of characters in the game, the story writers should have done a better job keeping the spotlights right and the designers should have given an option to review past characters. Also, some of the climaxes just don't make sense, because of the addition of action gameplay. Some scenes are just ruined because random mobsters show up for no apparent reason other then to be your cannon fodder. I found the ending very unsatisfying as well.
    - Interface and restrictions are clunky sometimes, especially during the action scenes and chases.
    - Some cases are very poor. The biggest flaw of them is that they often don't leave the solving part to the player. I literally thought at some cases: This is **** neither of this suspects did it, and still I have to press charges against one. That's maybe the stupidest thing a game designer designing a game where the investigation skills of a player are tested can do. It's like saying to a soccer striker:"yeah you can run down with the ball, but God forbid you to take a shot at the goal!" It made me feel stupid, it made Cole look stupid and it made the whole cheering crowd look stupid. Again, Phoenix Wright got this WAY better.
    - (small) Some minor annoying bugs. (X360, My personal worst bug was the playing of the boss music during a tragic cutscene...)

All with all, L.A. Noire did a bold and good job, especially on the aesthetics department. The story department had it's high ups and low downs, and the gameplay department should have put some more effort in making stuff more clear to the player. I hope they learn from their design errors and take the time to make the successor of L.A. Noire a more complete and potent experience.

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. CD-Action
    Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]