7.8

1. Apr 19, 2013
    Rockstar Games have earned a good reputation in gaming circles for high production values and that trend continues with the Team Bondi developed LA Noire. Set in the late 1940s the game is an interactive detective story following the career of ex-army lieutenant Cole Phelps.

There have been complaints from those expecting a Grand Theft Auto (GTA) style open world game but LA Noire was never advertised as such. The game is far more structured than any GTA game, or even Red Dead Redemption for that matter, and the focus of the game remains firmly on solving the cases provided by searching crime scenes (in the manner of the old point and click adventures) and questioning witnesses/suspects. The much vaunted facial mapping technology is very impressive even if it does still becomes all but impossible to spot when someone is hiding the truth in later cases. The game is not totally devoid of action however with most cases involving a few shoot outs, car chases or rooftop pursuits and these are fairly well implemented even if the controls aren’t always as precise as they could be.

Many of the cases are fairly interesting and the script writing, while still not up to the quality of the best TV programmes, is certainly better than the majority of those seen in video games. A number of other minor flaws, such as a few repetitive cases, can be largely ignored but one complaint that certainly can't be is that all too often it feels more like you are being lead through some of the investigations rather than actually playing the role of detective. Regardless of any choices made the game plays out in virtually the same way and this comes very close to making the gameplay pointless on occasions. For many the atmosphere created will allow them to get past this but it all means the game does not live up to the hype.
  2. Jul 4, 2013
    Its restrictive world may be a little bit of a turn-off for some hardcore free-roamer fans, but "L.A. Noire's" innovative gameplay and insanely immersive narrative make it an incredible must-play.
  3. May 28, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game, it looks really nice, but fun factor wise i give a 6
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    It starts off interesting and is good for a few hours but repetitive objectives, boring gameplay, and confusing interigation tactics leave this game's potential down for the count. It looks and sounds great and it very original and unique (something we havent seen for a while) but it gets so boring. It doesnt help that the plot to the game takes far too long to develope and it ends poorly as well.
  5. Nov 15, 2011
    Impressive and unique but fails to live up to the potential. A short campaign, lame collectables, and repetitive objectives take away from LA Noire's value but its rather addicting and will keep you coming back for more.
  6. Jan 1, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the BlackI was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the Black Dahlia, but I didn't like everything else you did in the game. The characters were kinda dull, especially the main character. I definitely didn't Cole and his character as he really wasn't very likable, nor could you relate to him very easily. The sandbox portions of this game were very lacking and that's especially sad coming from a company that was affiliated with Rockstar during the development of this game. Now there were some good things in this game. The well documented Motion Scan for all the facial animations was very nice and groundbreaking. However there were more bad things than good with this game for me and that's very disappointing for a game with such promise. There were some good things here that they could have capitalized on to make a tremendous game. Instead this game will forever be in the category of what could have been, along with Duke Nukem Forever. Expand
  7. Jul 21, 2014
    What truly makes L.A. Noire great is how different it is, not just from Rockstar games, but from games in general. You play as a detective solving murders and other crimes. I love it, it's truly a thinking man's game and requires actual skill.
  8. Jul 3, 2011
    L.A. Noire is an innovative but flawed title that brings gaming to places it has never been before. The most impressive feature of this game is its amazing facial capture technology, creating realistic faces. Unfortunately other areas of the body are look merely average in comparison. 1940's Los Angeles is stunning recreated, with the attention to detail reminiscent of Red Dead Redemption.L.A. Noire is an innovative but flawed title that brings gaming to places it has never been before. The most impressive feature of this game is its amazing facial capture technology, creating realistic faces. Unfortunately other areas of the body are look merely average in comparison. 1940's Los Angeles is stunning recreated, with the attention to detail reminiscent of Red Dead Redemption. The detective work is interesting and clever, allowing the player to piece together the case and give their brain some work to do. Chase sequences both on foot and in your car feel fresh as does the hand to hand fighting. The game does, however, go on too long, with the game often feeling like two or three separate stories in one. There are many instances that could be described as climaxes but the game keeps on going. The game does get repetitive with time but the intriguing cases help keep you interested. While not a classic, L.A. Noire is still an exceptional game that deserve recognition. Expand
  9. Mar 22, 2013
    The technical achievements are undeniable, but it is simply not that entertaining with its unmemorable plot, monotonous gameplay, nonexistent re-playability, and underwhelming characters.
  10. May 6, 2012
    L.A Noire s one of the best game I have ever played. Rockstar Games make another masterpiece of a game. This game gets the best story award of 2011 and of any game I have ever played by me. Part 1 of L.A Noire was fantastic and part 2 even better and part 3 was the best. The ending was good. I don't no why people thought it was odd. It was very sad ending. Part 1 8/10 Part 2 9/10 Part 3L.A Noire s one of the best game I have ever played. Rockstar Games make another masterpiece of a game. This game gets the best story award of 2011 and of any game I have ever played by me. Part 1 of L.A Noire was fantastic and part 2 even better and part 3 was the best. The ending was good. I don't no why people thought it was odd. It was very sad ending. Part 1 8/10 Part 2 9/10 Part 3 9/10 L.A Noire 9.4/10 Expand
  11. Dec 26, 2013
    l.a. noire is a good game but it doesn't reach the level of rockstar games in the past few years,other problem is the difficulty of this game wich is too much hard.
  12. Jun 27, 2013
    If you're looking for a unique game, LA Noire is a definite "must own" game. The whole is just very well done. The motion capture system used is spot on and the game has a sense of realism I have not seen in any other game. Really, the only flaw with this game is the gameplay, which by the third disk gets a bit stale and repetitive.
    If you like to try new things, give LA Noire a shot.
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    Hell **** yeah!!! this game is **** awesome. Seriously. I don't know what they make their people do at Rocksar but they should keep doing it because this game has everything that I could possibly want out of a detective game. Even side missions like street crimes. Jesus Christ, this is awesome
  14. Nov 3, 2011
    Good story line and interesting characters make this game well worth playing and the detective type role offers an unusual game playing experience on the downside the chase felon, drive to point A, chase felon, drive to point B sections get a little repetitive but still worth a play through.
  15. Sep 15, 2011
    A very unique take from Rockstar that focuses more on story than gameplay. The facial animation is pretty much the greatest achievement this game has ever put out and it will be an influence in future games and its implementation on interrogation is nothing short of genius. Though the story is very good, as it is a story based game, I did find the gameplay very repetitive and made theA very unique take from Rockstar that focuses more on story than gameplay. The facial animation is pretty much the greatest achievement this game has ever put out and it will be an influence in future games and its implementation on interrogation is nothing short of genius. Though the story is very good, as it is a story based game, I did find the gameplay very repetitive and made the story drag. Being a story based game, it does a very good job of making you feel like a detective and the game itself is aware of that; nothing more, nothing less but I do feel that they could have added more into the gameplay Expand
  16. Apr 16, 2013
    What an incredible experience this video game is. A journey throughout from start to finish. Very very tricky though, had to use a walk through once or twice but overall, a brilliant game!
  17. Aug 8, 2012
    This game was very fun to play, it had a great, well written story, having to read the faces and make the right decisions was great fun and put you into the shoes of Cole Phelps, the greatest detective known to xbox.
  18. Mar 20, 2012
    There are many things good about this game, but there are also a lot of problems I will address. This game has the most beautiful facial animations, motion capture, and even some of the best acting in any game to date. The story is gripping, it keeps you interested, and the uniqueness of the gameplay only adds to the experience that is L.A. Noire. Sadly, this game lacks replay value in aThere are many things good about this game, but there are also a lot of problems I will address. This game has the most beautiful facial animations, motion capture, and even some of the best acting in any game to date. The story is gripping, it keeps you interested, and the uniqueness of the gameplay only adds to the experience that is L.A. Noire. Sadly, this game lacks replay value in a serious way. It really is only a mystery once; there are no options, no alternates, just the same outcomes to each case. I beat this game 100% (my second Rockstar 100% after RDR), and while I still find myself playing RDR every once in a while, I have not touched L.A. Noire since my final achievement. There is nothing left for me to do. Combine that with some tedious tasks required to get 100% completion (randomly spawning collectibles, WHY), repetitive side quests, and a few mechanical problems, this game gets an 8. I enjoyed it immensely, but there is no replay value to it at all. Rent it, beat it, return it. It is not a game I would advocate purchasing Expand
  19. Feb 3, 2013
    A revolutionary game that sets new standards in facial animation. An interesting character, gorgeous period detail, immersive graphics and audio. If you enjoy Philip Marlow you or Sam Spade you will love this game.
  20. Jul 31, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases hasL.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases has a weird and unnatural progression combined with a lack of interactivity, the side missions are quite similar to each other, the interviewing mechanics could be improved and the biggest flaw of them all is that the game gets repetitive. No matter the case the gameplay structure stays the same. The game is a pony with a few tricks it keeps showing over and over again and quite frankly it gets kind of boring after a while. If you however like me play 1 or 2 cases every now and then you are probably going to have a blast. This game could have been fantastic, in the end its simply good. Hopefully some game in the future will fix be just that. Expand
  21. Jul 3, 2012
    Graphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facialGraphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facial recognition of lies etc, is an interesting concept - one they haven't really pulled off 100% (amusingly, faults are mostly due to the odd bad actor rather than the technology but it's still very good) but you have to commend the effort.

It's not going to be something you play again when you finish it, but I'd describe it as the perfect rental title. You'll finish it in a week, and feel pretty good about it when you do. So, for me, I'll ignore the repetitiveness, the overall air of pretention and just how casual the game is overall and give it a decent score. In short, you just have to recognise it for what it is. 7/10.
  22. Aug 1, 2013
    One of the better games of this generation. Incredible atmosphere, attention to detail and the best facial animations to this time. The story is great, the characters feel real with all their good and bad attributes and the storytelling is original. At times, the pace is kinda slow and some cases aren' t that much interesting, but the originality makes this game of a fine quality.

The

The graphics are great though there are framedrops. Animating every move in this vast world is a great achievement though. Make Cole run and immediately stick to a wall or try jumping different kinds of objects. No clipping cause of the great collision detection system for an open world game. The facial animations though steal the show. It should be a standard for all games from now on. At times they might seem a little blurry but, seeing the muscles of the neck and be able to tell a difference makes new space in the gameplay sector.

Gameplay-wise it feels like a new-gen adventure. You have to find clues and be thorough if you want a better result for your case. You have to figure the perpetrator out and try to foresee motives. It's great and has an atmosphere that sucks you in. More activities would be great besides the street crimes so that you could feel that you're living in the 40's LA and some of the aspects of the story weren't so much been looked into such as Cole's family or his relationships with his colleagues or brothers-in-arms.

All in all, great game with some original ideas and incredible attention to detail, though its pacing is not for everyone. Like adventure games.
  23. Nov 27, 2013
    I am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun playI am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun play which was poor and remarkably easy and lastly the interrogation scenes which to be honest were more frustrating than anything due to lack of information on what your character is actually going to say and inconsistencies in the facial gives. I found the game entertaining but by the end was just hoping to get it over and done with. Expand
  24. Jul 26, 2011
    The story is excellent. It's also extremely linear. There's exploration, action, and drama. It's a fun adventure in the shoes of a starchy and hard-nosed detective. The rendering of classic LA is fantastic. You can spend hours just driving around looking for landmarks and hidden film cans. But a large portion is trying to solve cases. The cases are challenging enough, but they also aren'tThe story is excellent. It's also extremely linear. There's exploration, action, and drama. It's a fun adventure in the shoes of a starchy and hard-nosed detective. The rendering of classic LA is fantastic. You can spend hours just driving around looking for landmarks and hidden film cans. But a large portion is trying to solve cases. The cases are challenging enough, but they also aren't as rewarding as you would think. Most of the murder cases don't actually get solve which is annoying. All in all. For the story and for the representation of Los Angeles post WWII, it's worth picking up. Expand
  25. Jul 24, 2012
    LA Noire is simply Dragon's Lair for the new Millennium, and I feel for the folk who get suckered into loving "games" like these. LA Noire simply does not have enough interaction, enough repercussions or enough substance on the whole to be anything more than a really boring movie. Also, what little interaction is there in the game is pretty badly done too. The difference between doubting aLA Noire is simply Dragon's Lair for the new Millennium, and I feel for the folk who get suckered into loving "games" like these. LA Noire simply does not have enough interaction, enough repercussions or enough substance on the whole to be anything more than a really boring movie. Also, what little interaction is there in the game is pretty badly done too. The difference between doubting a person's answer and accusing them of lie-ing is often silly, and then it doesn't feel consequential to anyone other than completion-ists; the actual "action" itself feels very linear and very much stuck on a railroad track, the massive LA world contains nothing of note; and the main protagonist is a prick who quickly becomes annoying. There came a point in the game where I was asked to "shadow" a suspect in a cafe - after a few fails the game asked me "would you like to skip this?" - FFS! A key point in the plot and it's treated as if it doesn't matter - it just made things feel cheap and it was as if the game admitted "yeah, this bits a bit crap but we thought we'd chuck it in anyway". Also on the whole the plot seems very disjointed at times and, if you play it out differently to how most would (ie go to a later destination before the obvious one), then the plot often gets a few jumbled up lines thrown in which don't make sense. Other than superb facial animations I really can't see why anyone would be interested in such a pointless game. Expand
  26. Oct 29, 2012
    On paper, LA Noire sounds like an open-world sandbox fused with an interactive movie, but in truth, it's so much more. It's groundbreaking, effortlessly engaging and utterly sublime. To miss playing LA Noire would be a heinous crime. Simply put, it's a work of unbridled genius.
  27. May 28, 2011
    This is my Favourite Game of all time (Mainly because im a big Noir Genre fan) it is full of exciting missions and it is a BIG Game! I love the Story, its classic Noir at it's best! The Gameplay is Fresh and unique and the Graphics are Remarkable. Go out and Buy this Game!
  28. May 24, 2011
    Solid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you playSolid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you play with subtitles you are ruining the experience. Expand
  29. Sep 24, 2014
    This game feels nearly like a movie. You're this detective, Cole Phelps of whom was formly in world war against Japan. It sets out in the 40's, in LA and crime is at it's all time high. This isn't a GTA clone in no way, and if you're knocking because of that you are an idiot. So basically the game requires you to pay attention to detail, and look for clues. At most points, you'll have toThis game feels nearly like a movie. You're this detective, Cole Phelps of whom was formly in world war against Japan. It sets out in the 40's, in LA and crime is at it's all time high. This isn't a GTA clone in no way, and if you're knocking because of that you are an idiot. So basically the game requires you to pay attention to detail, and look for clues. At most points, you'll have to tell if a persons Lying, telling the truth, or holding out on you. You have to check dead bodies too. You will be able to tell do rockstar using actual spot on facial animations. Tha map feels so hugh, even though there's not much to in the world you will be traveling for minutes. Due to it having so many blocks. You an reply to street crimes. (Which do get very repetitive) Well you make you're way through 5 ranks abd you get different partners:

Patrol (This is sort of like a totourial) Partner Ralph Dunn
    Traffic (You deal with car accident crimes) Partner Stefan Bekowsky
    Homicide ( Dealing with murder crimes) Partner Rusty Galloway
    Vice (Dealing with drug crimes) Partner Roy Earl
    Arson (Dealing with fire crimes) Partner Hershel.
    All partners act different, my favorite partner was Rusty. My least favorite was Roy. He's such a racist and a sexist.
    My favorites were Vice and Homicide. Searching for shipments, or trying murders were really interesting. As you progress through the game you'll become famous. NPC will say "Hey, you're the dectective in the paper."
    The voice acting is spot on.
    The shooting and the car physics were great.

Now let's talk about why I didn't give LA Noire a 10 or 9. there are quite a few cons too it.

1. It doesn't feel like an open world game. This game has a big and dense map, however there's nothing to do in it. I know this isn't GTA, but that still doesn't change the fact that there should be more content. It

2. The Graphics. the facial animations were good, but the graphics weren't all that at all. They seemed worst then GTA IV's.

3. It's very repetitive. Mostly every mission's the same, and that get's boring.

But other than that it's a great game.
  30. Apr 26, 2014
    I am writing this after finally playing the PC version of the game and it`s one of the most pleasant surprises I`ve had in gaming. The reason is that according to Metacritic there is no PC version, and yet I felt I had to put my two cents in here about LA Noire.
    Not being a huge GTA fan due to my profound lack of interest in Russian pimps with fake accents, f-bombs and car chases I wasn`t expecting too much from this game. But by golly did it have one of the best stories I`ve seen in a game to date. It is also a technical marvel, recreating 1946 LA faithfully enough, which is where the game takes place. The graphics and sound are good and the game play excellent. Occasionally there isn`t a whole lot where you`d expect there to be at least something, but considering that the game simulates a huge city it can hardly be avoided. Even so, LA Noire does an admirable job of making LA appear fully inhabited anyway,. And a mini game of sorts of police radio emergencies means that you`ll have small twists interrupting your pursuit of the main quest all through the game, so giving you more variety than games like Mafia for example. As for the sound the only problem I had was the car radio that keeps going every time you step into the car. When you hear the same news story and the same semi-annoying 1940s song every ten minutes for the entire duration of the game it loses some of its immersive quality. Of course you can turn the radio off, but then it`s all quiet and weird.... But the voiceovers and sound FX are all good, as is the music.

Basically you play as a police detective and follow the ups and downs of his career while uncovering the main story. But since it`s open world you can do this whenever you want to, and me I had a blast just driving various cars way too fast around town and regularly forgot what I was supposed to be doing.
    Anyway, police officer Cole Phelps drives around chasing bad guys and investigating crime scenes before interrogating witnesses and suspects. The interrogations make use of a facial motion capture technique to hint at when suspects are lying, and it is so realistic that I could actually recognize several real life TV actors Rockstar had hired to play the parts. Do all this well enough and you`ll move on to the next case, and the next desk and eventually to the grim ending to the game. The investigation of cases is somewhat similar to what games like CSI have done, but in my mind a lot more interesting because they are in fully interactive environments and part of a larger story going on. In particular some of the main cases for Phelps to solve at the end of each chapter are large, involve multiple crime scenes and feel just riveting. This part of the game really sucks you into what`s going on and gives you a constant feeling of achievement.
    But the thing that really makes LA Noire shine is the amazing story and the compelling characters you`ll get to know while progressing through it. There are really no one-dimensional cliche figures. Rather with almost all the main characters, including Phelps, you tend to think you have them figured out just to have something emerge that makes them more nuanced, and therefore more convincing and interesting. On rare occasions computer games can play like interactive versions of quality novels and this is such an occasion. Saying more might spoil it though, so I won`t.

If you like adventure games, detective simulations, driving games or just plain old great game design and story telling then rush out and get LA Noire with all haste. The only negative thing about this game is that something this good only comes along every five years or so, if we`re lucky, so you will inevitably enter quality-withdrawal just as soon as you finish it.

PS: Judging by reviews above there are some loading issues on the console version but obviously none of that on the PC. If there are other differences I wouldn`t be able to tell you.
  31. Jan 4, 2013
    L.A. Noire reminds me of the old gangster movies. L.A. Noire has brilliant voice acting, cases that are really hard to solve and the graphics are unbelivable. It remains one of the best games Rockstar made. 9/10
  32. May 24, 2011
    A truly special experience. This game was clearly meant for a certain kind of gamer. An adult gamer and one that has a mature mind. Those who scoring this game low clearly lack the maturity to appreciate it for what it is...a work of art. If you go I to this game expecting GTA not only are you a fool you will be disappointed.
  33. Apr 9, 2012
    I was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but II was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but I found it all but useless. Most of the time characters acted and looked the same irrelevant of whether they were lying or not. And if you got it wrong (and wanted 5 starts) you had to start over. I spent more time wasting away on replaying missions and sitting through the unskippable cutscenes just because the game illogically felt someone was lying. If the LAPD was so blind and stupid in that era that they couldn't recognize when they arrested the wrong person or when someone was lying then LA would have never survived. The entire "who's guilty and who's innocent" was nothing more than a writer's poor attempt at creating a believable story. There were only a handful of cases where the guilty party even made sense. It was so horribly bad.

The vehicles were hard (and unrealistic) to control, the traffic AI was really bad and the driving sections made little sense. Never once couuld I (a detective in LAPD) catch someone who decided to drive away - businessman, student, whatever. Even worse was that traffic lights seemed coded to be red when you needed to go through them so you end up driving the entire time with your siren on. Even then half the time cars would pull out in front of you anyway.

The story also went about 2 desks too long. After the homicide desk they should have stopped but instead they continued to bring down the story with the additional desks. The arson was perhaps the worst as you hardly ever played as the person you were playing the first 4 desks. Finally the save points were in bad places - just before unskippable cutscenes, after some point where you couldn't go back, etc.

On the positive notes the combat seemed reasonable, the city was huge (a good thing since you end up driving all around it forever), the graphics were great and the acting wasn't too bad. The collectibles (especially since you couldn't easily track them) needed some work and it would have been nice if the collectibles were more than just a checkbox on your list. The city could also have been used better. As it stood I always had my partner drive just to get to the next part of the game.

I was so excited about this game but by the time I was half way through the game I was ready for it to end and not really impressed. I've never really been that impressed with Rockstar's games and from now on I'm going to strongly evaluate whether I'll purchase them. They just don't have a good track record of creating good ending and games worth playing.
  34. May 30, 2011
    Anyone who says this is a bad game is a little girl. This game has the graphics, characters, storyline, everything is there. the storyline is very intence with cases that will keep you guessing for the whole game it also has a back story (srry no spoilers) I kust really loved this game i dont no what to say.
  35. May 4, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a phenomenal experience. Not only is it a unique twist on the open world sandbox game, but it is an unbelievably refreshing challenge. While the challenge of most games of today are about shooting and quick kills, gaining experience and killing bosses etc., L.A. Noire challenges the player to investigate, put together esoteric clues, and decide whether or not someone isL.A. Noire is a phenomenal experience. Not only is it a unique twist on the open world sandbox game, but it is an unbelievably refreshing challenge. While the challenge of most games of today are about shooting and quick kills, gaining experience and killing bosses etc., L.A. Noire challenges the player to investigate, put together esoteric clues, and decide whether or not someone is lying or telling the truth during interrogations, via the ridiculously detailed facial animation capture technology. There are shooting moments, but they pepper certain moments of rising action. It's not a normal game by any means, especially coming from the controversial developer Rockstar. But this game is by no means simple; characters are mature, the material is mature, and the way L.A. Noire engages the player is far different than anything I've ever played. The way the story, the sub plots, every single cutscene, and cases all weave together truly engage the player to think as well as examine all aspects of what exactly is going on is masterful, if a little unbalanced. The gameplay mechanics may be a little wonky at some moments, and there are a couple glitches that occur, and the story may take quite some time to start getting good, but the positives more than outweigh the negatives. L.A. Noire is innovative, fresh, and most of all engaging and challenging, all in new ways. Rockstar and Team Bondi have truly crafted an awesome and riveting experience, one that comes fairly close to be crowned the "Citizen Cane" of video games, if it is a minor bit flawed. This is one game I definitely recommend to anyone looking for a now inexpensive and very fresh take on the sandbox video game. 9.5/10, rounds up to 10 on metacritic Expand
  36. Feb 24, 2012
    This game was just boring as hell, AS HELL!! I was very disappointed as i was somewhat hyped about this ,but after a good hour worth of gameplay ,I just wanted to go back to my bed and take a nap. This game doesn't even get interesting until the last chapter, but by then you would have most likely given up playing this repetitve mess overall. And there is Absoulutely no build up too theThis game was just boring as hell, AS HELL!! I was very disappointed as i was somewhat hyped about this ,but after a good hour worth of gameplay ,I just wanted to go back to my bed and take a nap. This game doesn't even get interesting until the last chapter, but by then you would have most likely given up playing this repetitve mess overall. And there is Absoulutely no build up too the ending, so if you don't pay close attention, you wont know what the hell is going on torwards the end. Rockstar has already proven that a Logo on a box is not a game make with that crappy State of emergency game, so idk why people blame it on Rockstar, Blame the developers. this game was just too overhyped and idk why anyone would even consider buying the DLC for this Just to play more generic, repetitve, boring point and click missions. Expand
  37. May 26, 2014
    L.A Noire is an amazing creation. Team Bondi have made a stylish, thrilling and immersive game that gets you engaging with the story and has players bringing out the LAPD detective in them. It is both challenging and enjoyable and a must play for gamers everywhere.
  38. May 19, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. The graphics, the story, and the gameplay far surpass many games. Being able to play as the good guy now is a much newer experience compared to all the other GTA games i have played. Many will complain that this game has too much talking, interrogating, and searching for clues, but it does have just enough action to keep people satisfied. The only keeping thisThis game is truly amazing. The graphics, the story, and the gameplay far surpass many games. Being able to play as the good guy now is a much newer experience compared to all the other GTA games i have played. Many will complain that this game has too much talking, interrogating, and searching for clues, but it does have just enough action to keep people satisfied. The only keeping this from a full ten out of ten, is it's still a lot like GTA 4, RDR, and Mafia 2. I wish something newer could be added to the open world freedom. Expand
  39. Aug 2, 2011
    The first 2/3 of the game are one long tutorial that finally picks up the Noir beat for the final stretch. However, the best parts end up more watched than played. Its worth playing if you're interested in games in general, and it's not bad for new gamers looking to hone their skills. Is it amazing? No. It is interesting? Yes.
  40. Jul 30, 2011
    You cannot really think of this as a video game. Its more like an interactive film.

Although the story telling, acting and atmosphere are amazing, I found the crucial interrogation system to be deeply flawed. If I got a question wrong I would quit out to the menu and reload from the same point, otherwise I miss out on the plot which is VERY irritating. I think they could have explored the morality aspect a bit more, it would be interesting if you weren't such a clean cut cop. If you had the ability to take bribes, plant evidence or force confessions with violence I think it would have made the game more interesting because even though Cole Phelps does everything by the book, the player should be able to make their own decisions. Instead, I felt like a passenger following him around.
  41. Apr 7, 2014
    Instead of going down the usual route of sandbox games these days, L.A Noire implements some unique features and ways to tackle your objectives that whilst not satisfying the cravings of those wanting GTA set in the 1950s, makes for one of the most unique games that came out for it's generation and one that we most likely will not see ever again.

Not everything is perfect, clues and

Not everything is perfect, clues and questioning suspects can be deep and rewarding if you really pay attention to every detail, but the game still wanders into the same direction if you succeed or fail. It can zap some of the fun and reality out of the situation when you come to realize after your second failed interrogation, that you do not really "fail". The ending result remains the same whether or not you picked up ever clue or noticed every tell in a liar's face.

Whilst the environments are beautiful in the game, finding every clue can be a hassle as use of highlighted sound whence near a inspect-able object isn't perfect, but it works enough to give you a sense of accomplishment when you gather enough evidence to have a reasonable idea of how to tackle your next witness or suspect.

The formula stats to wear thin after a while and the action sequences aren't enough to bring the level of excitement a shootout in other sandbox games would normally deliver, but the game is unique enough that it is worth playing, and the achievements of creating almost next gen like visuals on a 5 year old console is a must see.
  42. Jul 24, 2011
    I especially loved this game for it's sense of novelty and sheer innovation, but the repetitive sequencing is regenerated like oxygen, you really can't stop breathing in, but at the same time you get used to it and think "i'll die someday and that's it" (what?) The things Rockstar promised to showcase through the game were not exactly what we've expected, except it was more than what we'veI especially loved this game for it's sense of novelty and sheer innovation, but the repetitive sequencing is regenerated like oxygen, you really can't stop breathing in, but at the same time you get used to it and think "i'll die someday and that's it" (what?) The things Rockstar promised to showcase through the game were not exactly what we've expected, except it was more than what we've actually imagined it to be, the graphics are purely next-gen and still above that ratio even though it's a bit representative to what Rockstar games have accomplished over the past few years. The games sandbox is quite appealing and it's resemblance to the 40's L.A. is what seems to have achieved Team-Bondi's goals for the game. The narrative is eerie along the unexpected twists and creative direction, how your choices affect your reputation as a detective, and how aggressive or persuasive you are is an amazing element that really brought the genre to life, and not forgetting the mind blowing motion-scan technology that really replicated the intensity, fear, anxiety or the suspicious looks of actors into what made L.A Noire a game that really redefined the detective game genre and blew our minds. (mine at least) Expand
  43. Oct 12, 2011
    Easily one of the best games of all time. The fact that the crime is all based on real events adds a nice realism aspect. The gameplay is really fun. It got a lot of flac at launch for not being like Grand Theft Auto, but I think that's a good thing based on what we got instead. It's only real flaws are glitches found in any other Rockstar branded game.
  44. Mar 1, 2012
    For me, L.A. Noire is one of those games that is very hard not to like. At one point or another in our childhood, we've either wanted to be a detective or played being a detective with our friends and L.A. Noire just allows you to be one. The game has its faults but they are few and far between and nothing that would make this game bad. Driving can be a little hectic, even if you put theFor me, L.A. Noire is one of those games that is very hard not to like. At one point or another in our childhood, we've either wanted to be a detective or played being a detective with our friends and L.A. Noire just allows you to be one. The game has its faults but they are few and far between and nothing that would make this game bad. Driving can be a little hectic, even if you put the siren on, cars tend to not move, people tend to still not care. Also, things can get kind of linear at times. The side missions always involve you shooting someone whose either robbed a bank or gotten into some kind of dispute. The great things about the game is just the experience of playing as a cop. Finding clues, questioning suspects, shootouts, trying to find the right person to charge, that whole experience is brilliant. The graphics are great, the people and their facial expressions are great, overall great game. Expand
  45. May 22, 2011
    The review under green don't like videogames anymore, don't like inovations anymore. L.A. Noire is the best game of the year and Rockstar proved that sandbox is a kind of game that you can enjoy FOREVER. This games is innovative, beatiful and the new motion face cap is the most wonderful thing that I've seen in a videogame. Im from Brazil. Mateus Prado Sousa
  46. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is a different bird which is refreshing.

The presentation and voice acting is stellar. The concept is really cool too. The game play feels like every other big Rockstar game (GTA, Red Dead Redemption) and that is good or bad depending on how you feel about it. Investigating areas is streamlined and basic but how it all adds up at end is rewarding The golden pig of the
    This game is a different bird which is refreshing.

The golden pig of the whole operation is supposed to be the questioning of suspects and motion capture visuals and yada yada yada. All I can say is it's pretty good. I found it really hard to read suspects reactions and gestures. What looked like avoiding eye contact sometimes was just a defiant suspect. What looked like a cooperative straight to the point suspect was sometimes a flat out liar.

And maybe that was the whole point in an effort to avoid a cookie cutter game and to show how police work has lots of gray areas. It still left me feeling frustrated because even if I was a master at reading people, I don't think I would have made every correct choice. Lots of these missions need a couple playthroughs to perfect and even then, help online was needed here and there.

The story keeps you wanting more as it avoids the start-from-the-bottom and work to-the-top format. Later missions deal with an arson of all things instead of a Mob Mafia Mastermind like you may predict although the game has that too)

It's worth checking out
  47. Jul 9, 2011
    The whole point of a video game, or any game, is that you are in control. unlike music, art books or film where you are simply a viewer or listener, a game is interactive. and this is the first problem with LA noir. it is actually a film, which you can fill in the bits that films ignore, such as endless driving with horrible instructions. also in a film or a book you cant skip a sectonThe whole point of a video game, or any game, is that you are in control. unlike music, art books or film where you are simply a viewer or listener, a game is interactive. and this is the first problem with LA noir. it is actually a film, which you can fill in the bits that films ignore, such as endless driving with horrible instructions. also in a film or a book you cant skip a secton (Well, you may be able to fast forward) so why in a game do i have to sit through 20 mins of cutscene, which i already watched! when i failed my first interogation, like all gamers i hit restart, and seeming as each case was introduced with a lovely cutscene i though it would go to just before the interogation. no. it ripped me right to the case before and an endless horror of yet more cutscenes.
    and seeming as its a game, then many people rate it on graphics. GTA IV looks better. that game was released in 2008! and as for the faces, while they are well animated, they have completely destroyed the eyes that most games get right. what is the point in having a map that is that big, when stuff that is less than 1M away from you looks absolutely horrible.
    but why is it a 3 not a 0? well, it is well polished. so far no glitches, and when you can actually see stuff (usiually you have to get real close) it does look very nice, also the way that they "pushed the bat out" with a new genre. but this would have been far more suited for a point and click game. shame really, they put in such effort for a game that is probarbly amazing, to be let down by some moron who dosent under stand the basic concept of games.
  48. May 18, 2011
    I really don't see what all the positive buzz for this game is all about. I have never purchased a game and been so compelled to return it the very next day, and I've been gaming for decades now. I at least played Dragon Age 2 until the 3rd act just in case it did offer something to redeem itself, I couldn't make it that far through this one. I knew what I was getting into when I pickedI really don't see what all the positive buzz for this game is all about. I have never purchased a game and been so compelled to return it the very next day, and I've been gaming for decades now. I at least played Dragon Age 2 until the 3rd act just in case it did offer something to redeem itself, I couldn't make it that far through this one. I knew what I was getting into when I picked this up, that this would be a new experience and not something like GTA, so people can't use that excuse for why i didn't like this game. What I didn't expect, however, was how mediocre and boring an attempt Team Bondi had crafted. For starters, there are some major issues with this game that most people seem to ignore. Before the game even gets started good I'm hit by crushing drops in frame-rate, and these continue for the entire time I played the game. Weird, because this game doesn't look all that great. Aside from the facial-work (which was fine but looked like actors acting way too hard to convey emotion, it is unique, but to me doesn't look natural), I'd say this game graphically is average at best, Mafia 2, GTA 4, and Red Dead Redemption all look much better. Driving is a hassle. There is no compass or arrow so you have to rely on another worthless Rockstar mini-map or your partner, he's no use however because he never shuts up long enough to give you any assistance. NPC cars drive like maniacs, not following driving laws, they don't stop when they should, they speed and plow into you like you aren't even there, and they end up causing traffic jams that cause you to have to find an alternate route to get where you are going. The handling is also way too twitchy. The gunfights are ridiculous, as any shot an enemy receives is fatal, it is far too simplistic. Chasing criminals on foot is as simple as holding down the run button and pointing the camera where you want to go, the game does all the platforming for you, lame. The rest of the game boils down to being a "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" mini-game (you're given lifelines like "poll the audience" and "remove one answer") wrapped inside a boring point and click adventure. You wander around a crime scene and look for obviously placed evidence, point to which one you want to look at and then relevant info is put into your notepad. Music plays and the controller vibrates when you're near a clue. Wowee! That's revolutionary! Then to the worst part of the game, interrogation. You shift from looking at your notebook and the person you're interviewing and select words, phrases, and evidence. The person reacts, problem is you really can't tell if they're telling the truth or not. They could look like they're lying and be telling the truth and vice versa. You can either believe them, doubt them, or call them a liar. Sometimes if you doubt them they confess something, but if you accuse them flat-out they refuse to answer anymore questions, there really isn't any rhyme or reason to anything they say or do, leading to multiple retries to get the desired result. This leads to the biggest problem with the game, the save feature. I thought games couldn't have a more arbitrary and fun-sapping save feature than those in the Dead Rising series, wrong. There is only one save file, and although there are saves at checkpoints, if you restart, you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the case, not where the game auto-saved, pointless. Some of these cases are very long and all of your progress up to the restart point is lost. The game is all about trial and error, and punishes you if you don't get a desired result. Making matters worse is the fact that if you mess up you could miss out on clues for upcoming or connected cases. Why punish the player? I should have the option to retry a section I wasn't happy with without having to start the case all over. There are also long cutscenes you can't skip through. On top of all this the story is disjointed and boring, there are plenty of poor attempts at humor, and I didn't particularly like any of the characters either. This game is an almost-broken, repetitious mess. I will be staying away from Team Bondi's future attempts like the plague. I'm all for new experiences, they do need to be fun though. Heck, Heavy Rain was one big quick-time event, but at least it was fun and had a good story. Expand
  49. May 21, 2011
    L.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowedL.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowed by the strong and noticeable flaws. The large part of the game is very repetitive. Although, you could say this strongly represents cop work. After I got to vice I found myself groaning at the presentation of more cases. Let's get one thing straight. The graphics are phenomenal. Everything has detail and is crisp,bold, and well real. I should also point out that I am a huge fan of noir. I feel that this is a bold game, but the game overstays its welcome with repetition over a ridiculous length. It reminds me of RE4. An amazing game if it hadn't lasted as long.Buy it if you must, but don't expect any replay value.I'd say it's worth a rent, but I got bored a little past halfway. Expand
  50. May 24, 2011
    If you are someone that enjoys previous entries by companies like Quantic Dream you will more than likely enjoy L.A. Noire. If you are simply expecting the next Red Dead or GTA then this style of game play probably is not for you and you should give it a rent first to test the waters. I personally love the game. It has a great gritty feel and really pulls you in to the story. The castIf you are someone that enjoys previous entries by companies like Quantic Dream you will more than likely enjoy L.A. Noire. If you are simply expecting the next Red Dead or GTA then this style of game play probably is not for you and you should give it a rent first to test the waters. I personally love the game. It has a great gritty feel and really pulls you in to the story. The cast and voice acting is great along with the dream sequences that flesh out your characters story. The city of L.A. looks and sounds amazing, one of my all time favorite game to date. Expand
  51. Dec 16, 2011
    Anyone else feel like they're actually within the game? Especially with the Dahlia Murders. This is the climax of the game. I'm not saying the rest is awful, it isn't, but this was a jewel.
  52. Jun 20, 2011
    L.A. Noire shouldn't be confused for a Rockstar game, because it is a Team Bondi game. The concept is something entirely new, and it comes close to Heavy Rain in bringing movies and gaming closer together. Playing as a detective is a lot of fun, and L.A. Noire is probably the best detective game I have ever played. If it wasn't for the music in the background indicating clues, which youL.A. Noire shouldn't be confused for a Rockstar game, because it is a Team Bondi game. The concept is something entirely new, and it comes close to Heavy Rain in bringing movies and gaming closer together. Playing as a detective is a lot of fun, and L.A. Noire is probably the best detective game I have ever played. If it wasn't for the music in the background indicating clues, which you can turn off, I felt I was honestly a cop searching for the next lead to solving the case. The story is excellent. Between the flashbacks, the newspapers and the main story, L.A. Noire tells the story not only of Cole Phelps, but of the corruption that plagued L.A at the time, and it all works together quite nicely. The action parts are fun as well, but the detective gameplay really shone though. The best feature of the game is their new technology that allows cameras to capture peoples expressions. It was essential to the interrogation parts I found, and I can't wait to see other games with this new budding technology. The sound, music, voice acting, and real acting for that matter all are perfect in my book. Team Bondi created a beautiful Los Angeles, but I was disappointed in how little to do. Sure, you can search for the film reels, visit landmarks and find newspapers, but not much more than that. The street crimes are repetitive and often times boring. The game was just overall very linear for being an open world game. Aside from that, L.A. Noire offers a lot of fun, and a game that everybody should experience for themselves. Expand
  53. Jul 1, 2011
    When I first saw L.A. Noire graphics, I was amazed by the facial animation. The work they have put in those techniques are just incredible. Letâ
  54. May 27, 2011
    Not a bad game, but far away from being one of the Rockstar jewels that they use to create. The open world it's just limited to driving, leaving the game with a single predefined path making it so linear. The best feature in the game is the graphic part.
  55. Nov 27, 2011
    This is one of the best games of the year. Everything about this game is perfect, but I have to give it a nine because there is no replay value at all. Once you beat everything, there is no reason to play the game again. I really cant wait to see what Rockstar does with this franchise in the future!
  56. Jun 14, 2011
    A game which changes so much within the video game industry, proving that you don't need to run around shooting everything to make a great game as well as the new facial animations setting the standard for all future games. However, It doesn't feel as action packed or the story as climactic as Red Dead Redemption's and so as a game, it cannot trump it! Eagerly awaiting on a sequel!!!
  57. Sep 28, 2011
    L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is.L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is. The facial animations are unlike anything in any other game and are so realistic that I can often recognize real actors/actresses as characters in the game. The one downside is that the amount of information in these animations pushes the game to use 3 discs for the XBox 360. The game's scale is certainly not equivalent to a standard game on 3 discs. At first the game totally captures the player's attention. Being a detective and actually using reasoning skills in a video game is an impressive new experience that I think needs to be further developed in the future. Unfortunately, there's one major problem with the concept: how can make a game that fits the player's ability to reason? Everyone has their own logic, and although these different reasons may be sound and true and come to the same conclusion, L.A. Niore's gameplay struggles with the problem of a linear game trying to fit a dynamic player's thoughts. Interrogations with suspects consists of analyzing the suspect's verbal and body language and deciding whether to believe, doubt, or accuse the suspect of lying. Believing and doubting are vague enough to allow for multiple ways of thinking, however the game handles accusations of dishonesty poorly IMO because it requires you to present a piece of evidence as proof that the suspect is lying. The problem is that this allows for one and only one method of thinking. Just as an example, in one investigation I found a stash of military grade morphine in the suspect's possession. When he denied it, I accused him of lying and presented the stash as evidence. Makes sense right? Sure it makes sense, but the game is programmed to accept one piece of evidence specifically, and that piece of evidence wasn't the right piece of evidence. What WAS the correct piece of evidence was another suspects accusation. Yes, they both come to the same conclusion, he's lying. However, the game only allows for one method of thinking in order to solve cases. There's a system of "intuition" points that are essentially life-lines when you come into these situations, however these one-time uses only partially solve the problem. Also, later on in the game as your cases demand you travel to more locations, it actually becomes necessary for you to visit these locations in a specific order to be able to get the right pieces of evidence by time you need them. However, there's no way to know which one you need to go to first so whether or not you get a 5-star rating will come to depend on luck. Lastly, there's no save system, which could have helped a lot to solve these issues, but as it stands the only way to load game is to restart an entire investigation which will take hours. Another problem with the game is FILLER. This game has more filler content than anything I've ever played. In the beginning when you are searching for a particular criminal, you are going to solve hours worth of cases before you make any progress whatsoever (it's hard to talk about without spoiling it). Sure the cases are interesting, but the game completely loses its sense of direction after hours of irrelevance. The open world has mixed results. It's only there as immersion and atmosphere and has nothing to do with gameplay or exploration (there are monuments you can find but that is so underdeveloped that I refuse to count that as exploration). Driving throughout the world will require that you follow the rules of the road which I just find to be more filler than fun, and any mistakes you make on the road (which I guarantee will happen because the AI drivers are atrocious) will be saved and remembered as property damages which will negatively affect your mission rating. There is, however, a way to bypass this and fast travel by telling your partner to drive instead of you. Finally, everything other than investigating is highly underdeveloped. The gunplay is absolutely terrible and boring, and car chases are linear and frustrating with unresponsive vehicle controls and terrible AI drivers. As with any rockstar-published title, there are plenty of serious and adult themes throughout the story, but unlike other titles, L.A. Noire only mentions them rather than further developing them. The game at its core experience is gold, but there are simply too many flaws standing between that golden experience and the player himself. It's easy to tell how much Rockstar Games struggled working with Team Bondi in the areas of the game that are pathetically underdeveloped, and a future title with a little more directional focus could take this concept to the stars. Expand
  58. Nov 16, 2012
    The feel of this game is great, you feel like you're in LA back in the '40s. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, the world looks as good as it can for consoles, and the MotionScan is some revolutionary technology, leading you to get fully immersed with the incredible acting the cast of L.A. Noire did. I think I love the game a bit more than I should simply because they used someThe feel of this game is great, you feel like you're in LA back in the '40s. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, the world looks as good as it can for consoles, and the MotionScan is some revolutionary technology, leading you to get fully immersed with the incredible acting the cast of L.A. Noire did. I think I love the game a bit more than I should simply because they used some characters from Mad Men and I love that show, haha. The story was great, made me cry, to be honest lol & the gameplay is fun, being a detective was a blast, reading peoples faces was tough at times and it couldn't have been done without MotionScan. The shooting is what you'd expect it to be from a Rockstar Game, similar to Red Dead Redemption. Team Bondi did a superb job with this game whilst giving it a touch of Rockstars greatness, I highly recommend this title. Expand
  59. May 20, 2011
    I really enjoy this game, I think the negative reviews are coming from peple that have the wrong idea of what this game is about. It's not about killing people. It's not about shooting people up. It's not at all like Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption. If you approach this game realistically and play it realistically, actually acting like a cop and not trying to break the lawI really enjoy this game, I think the negative reviews are coming from peple that have the wrong idea of what this game is about. It's not about killing people. It's not about shooting people up. It's not at all like Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption. If you approach this game realistically and play it realistically, actually acting like a cop and not trying to break the law yourself, then it's an amazing game. You need to play this game right or you won't enjoy it. Expand
  60. Jun 7, 2011
    It's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don'tIt's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don't help either Expand
  61. Sep 24, 2011
    Alot of negative reviews on this one. People need to get it in their big fat skulls that this game is not I repeat not a sandbox game its obvious that the people who hated on this game are fans of the GTA games and Red Dead redemption and expected another one of those games out of it just because it had a R* logo on it. I can't believe how narrow minded people are nowadays that they can'tAlot of negative reviews on this one. People need to get it in their big fat skulls that this game is not I repeat not a sandbox game its obvious that the people who hated on this game are fans of the GTA games and Red Dead redemption and expected another one of those games out of it just because it had a R* logo on it. I can't believe how narrow minded people are nowadays that they can't distinguish between a developer and a publisher. R* is not the developer it is the publisher Team Bondi is the developer they are the same company that made the Getaway game series last gen. And all the people who are saying that you can't do alot of things in this game it is because it is not a Sandbox game. This game is detective, crime investigation and interactive movie kind of a game the only other game that can actually be compared to it is Heavy rain the only difference is that this game gives you more freedom. As a huge fan of the detective and crime investigation having watched all these kind of shows on TV I really liked this game. All the cases are fun and have a really good and well detailed background. The cases are divided into a number of different segments in some segments you have to find clues, some segments are foot and vehicle chase sequences, gun fighting segments and the best one of them all the interrogations. The interrogations are really well done you ask someone a question and you have to tell if they are telling the truth, lying to you (by using evidence) or you can doubt on them and you can do this while looking at all the evidence you found and noted in your diary these segments are all really fantastic specially for us detective fans and your interrogations will change the segments that will play out later on in the cases, the superb acting by the cast during interrogations also adds alot of them. The chase sequences are also fun and well done. The gun fighting in the game however can get repetitive and dull at times and is not nearly as epic and fun as you see in shooters and games like GTA and RDR but they are still satisfying. The cases can get repetitive though so I would not recommend doing more than 2 cases at the time so that you can get as much fun as you can out of this game. I am a little disappointed however that some cases are really waay to short and leave alot to be desired and I also just wish that there were more cases in the actual game. The game's story which is told through a series of flash back scenes telling you more about your main characters is also very well written and interesting. The game also looks fantastic quite possibly one of the best looking games on the 360 the facial animations are super realistic, the environments are just breath taking and the animations are also very well done. The voice acting/acting is also great and realistic specially during the interrogations. The game also has a bunch of sidequests but they are far less than you would see in a GTA game or a Sandbox game, there are 40 side missions while they are fun, some of them can get repetitive and most are too short. Along with that there are landmarks and vehicles to discover and unlock but this can get boring after a while. However another problem with the game is that it is on 3 discs on the 360 the problem is not that you have to get up mid game and swap discs the problem is that if one disc gets messed up you have to buy all 3 all over again and considering how high the price is that is a really big problem. Thats why I would recommend the Ps3 version as its only on one disc and has slightly better graphics. The music in this game really suits the time period the game is set in and also suites the environments. Overall I would say L.A Noire is a great game which could have been even better if it wasn't for a few flaws. If you are a fan of the detective genre, like games which are like interactive movies and are looking for a different and unique experience when you play a game than you should definitely get L.A Noire however if you are expecting a sandbox game like GTA or Red Dead than this game is not for you. 8.5/10 Expand
  62. Nov 7, 2012
    The reason I give L.A Noire a 10 is because it goes where no game has ventured before and it does it well. More in depth though the storyline is superb and well written. The cases themselves are well done and I feel as if each case is as important as the last. The protagonist is disappointing the only time the protagonist gets any depth is near the end of the game. From a technicalThe reason I give L.A Noire a 10 is because it goes where no game has ventured before and it does it well. More in depth though the storyline is superb and well written. The cases themselves are well done and I feel as if each case is as important as the last. The protagonist is disappointing the only time the protagonist gets any depth is near the end of the game. From a technical standpoint the game is a marvel, not a single glitch in my playthrough and the motionscan is remarkable. The shootouts are fun, the cover system is simple but its still good the car and foot chases are always fun. So in short L.A Noire is not your typical game, it makes you think and it does something new, definitely a great buy. Expand
  63. Nov 23, 2012
    I would call this game L.A. Bore. This game is worse then GTA 4 and im not even sure how thats possable. I was so bored playing this game. What good is an open world you can do nothing in. Plus the story is lame.
  64. Dec 11, 2014
    First off, the design and graphics in this game are very impressive. Everything about it looks good. However, that is about all I can say positive for this title. Once you get past that there is very little holding this game up. The story and characters are incredibly boring. The mechanics are sloppy and slow. Tasks become very repetitive and unrewarding after just a few hours. One canFirst off, the design and graphics in this game are very impressive. Everything about it looks good. However, that is about all I can say positive for this title. Once you get past that there is very little holding this game up. The story and characters are incredibly boring. The mechanics are sloppy and slow. Tasks become very repetitive and unrewarding after just a few hours. One can quickly decipher the formula for the correct responses to character interactions. Expand
  65. Jun 30, 2011
    Rockstar and Team Bondai emerge victorious in this call to arms for 1940's lifestyles and crime the way it was meant to be, dirty, dastardly, and down to earth.
    L.A. Noire is not like anything you have ever played, first of all. It is one of the finest games I've played this generation. It is not anything like what some are comparing to Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead. This is a beast of its own nature. The game begins in post World War II 1940's in Los Angeles, California (*duh*). You take on the role of police officer Cole Phelps, who recently finished a tour in Okinawa. Cole Phelps is exactly what you would expect out of a police officer, he is a true down to the bones good guy. His actions show love for his job, and the citizens around him, and while some may call him dull or boring, its just the way he must act on the job. He later in the story, unravels into a deeper and wiser character who we can almost relate to. Overall he is unlike any other Rockstar character out there, seeing as he is a complete opposite from GTA characters.
    From then on you will be able to explore the open world sandbox of 1940's Los Angeles, a world that has been fully and beautifully recreated to the slightest detail. If you are however, expecting a Grand Theft Auto does noir will be extremely disappointed, that's not the point of this game, and not what it was trying to do from the beginning. What it is trying to nail however, it nails perfectly, right down to the little details. From the incredible facial expressions, to the backdrop from gunplay and more to narrative, everything about LA Noire is simply to be marveled at because, well, it is done so good. The narrative in LA Noire can be summed up as marvelous, dark, gritty, and mature. It will take unexpected twists and turns along the way that will lead you gasping and grinning.
    The gameplay is incredible, the highlights being the incredibly revolutionary interrogations that will leave you cheering everytime you get a question correct. Interrogating suspects is a tricky and hard task, because you really do have to be able to use some true detective work and check your suspect's body language. It really goes to show Rockstar's attention to detail. The rest of the game goes into clue solving (where the vibrations and sounds can be taken off for a more realistic experience), freeroaming, and action sequences that range from car chases, foot chases, or close quarters shootouts similiar tol RDR or GTA. Simply put the gameplay is perfect.
    The techinal aspects of LA Noire are astounding. The soundtrack features all the contemparies of 1940''s music in general and for music aficionados will surprise and please. The voice acting and new motion technology have to be the best yet in a game, and a staple for the genre to come. Top that with a beautiful, living, breathing world and all around impressive visuals, LA Noire is a fantastic game, and a long one at that clocking in at around 25 hours if one does everything they can. In the end LA Noire is a game about story and detective work, if you are not here expecting those things, go somewhere else because you won't like what you see and what you get. LA Noire is exactly what it set out to be, a narrative driven, technological advancemant, and no less than the next step for Rockstar Games.
  66. Jun 30, 2011
    You will totally forget that you are playing a video game! You will totally forget you are having fun! Intrigued?

Okay! Do you like "Murder She Wrote"? Do you enjoy choose your own adventure books? Do you enjoy watching games instead of playing them? Are you bad at traditional video games? Well if you answered yes you SHOULD definitely buy L.A. Noire, a game that focuses on facial

Okay!

Do you like "Murder She Wrote"? Do you enjoy choose your own adventure books? Do you enjoy watching games instead of playing them? Are you bad at traditional video games? Well if you answered yes you SHOULD definitely buy L.A. Noire, a game that focuses on facial animation, voice acting, and the boring life of a wimpy little detective. It's so fun I forgot I was having any, wait a minute?
  67. Mar 8, 2013
    I grew up loving the hardboiled detective film noire types of movies so when I heard about this I was quite excited since it was right up my alley.

Sadly though the end product is nothing like it could have been. This is basically a snooze fest disguised as a game. Honestly, if it didn't have Rockstar's name on the box it wouldn't be rated highly as it is or sold as well despite the fact Rockstar did not make this game.

My main dislikes with the game are.......

1- You never really detect anything. You walk around till you get a little chime meaning you press the x button and pickup the clue. If the clue needs to be examined further the game will tell you so. Once you have the clues your partner will signal you it's time to go somewhere else. The game basically walks you through detecting everything and finding clues. It tells you when you need to hit what buttons and where.

2- You can't mess up interrogations. This was lauded as a big feature for the game. If you blow the interrogation then you just do it again. Even if you guess wrong when your judging a person's true intentions you can still win the game without ever getting one right. You can go right through the game by guessing everything wrong when its decision time while interviewing someone. The game basically won't let you make mistakes that stop the game play and there are no consequences for anything during interrogations. There is no need to study a person's facial reactions or what they say because it doesn't matter. Guess right? No advantage. Guess wrong? No punishment.

3- The facial animations while good are just a gimmick. Another big selling point for the game is just a gimmick. Again looking at people's faces during interrogation to guess if they are lying or not doesn't matter since you don't have to be right. The facial animations are nice but it doesn't matter aesthetically because their bodies still move like stiff puppets. And they still aren't lifelike because they are over exaggerated to be noticeable. I personally wish they hadn't wasted all the money on filming actors in a fancy studio with all this high tech equipment and instead used the money to hire better writers for the game and work on making it more fun instead of just being a gateway for their facial animation tech. Honestly the animations felt more like a tech demo they were hoping to get other developers to license the tech for their games.

4- The game is incredibly linear. Yes a couple times you can chose to shake down a bartender instead of checking up on a drug addict but you never really get to chose anything. The game firmly holds your hand from the start to the finish and never let's go. I felt more like a errand boy out driving from point A to point B and then from C to D.

5- The storyline while not bad isn't that great. The main storyline starting out builds and builds and builds then suddenly it just stops and comes to a half with a very paper thin plot excuse and then suddenly you thrust off in another direction with no looking back. They just go to all this trouble of building up to something and then suddenly pull the rug out and leave you unsatisfied. The ending is very, very unsatisfying as well.

6- Team bondi has been saying the game isn't finished and that's easily noticeable just playing through it. They left the game kind of shallow in order to sell more DLC to gamers and that's obvious since they have been releasing DLC since its release and have recently announced more. It's just a shame they would release a 60 dollar game partially gutted so they can sell DLC and turn it into a 100 dollar game.

7- 60% of the game is still just grand theft auto. Just like in grand theft auto you have to drive a car for hours and hours and hours while you playing doing absolutely nothing but going up and down the same boring streets as a time sink. You can take any car you want like in GTA, you'll waste hours of time driving just like GTA, when you run it's just like in GTA, when you shoot or fight it's just like GTA, in fact everything that isn't investigating or interrogating is just like GTA.

In the end this game is wasted potential. I really wish I had waited till it eventually drops to 5 bucks or less because that's all it's worth. I had a lot of fun for about 6 hours and after that I find myself playing it just to finish it since I paid for it. I was really disappointed in this game.
  68. May 17, 2011
    This is a game that you will not want to miss. The story is one of the greatest i have ever come across, the gameplay is fantastic, and the replay ability is instant. This more than matches up with last years RDR. What will Rockstar do next. That's the beauty of it.
  69. Sep 24, 2011
    A great man once said, "If you build it, they will come." And so it is with Rockstar: any game they put out will inevitably be purchased by me and every other 15-30 year old male who doesn't do the Buffalo Bill dance and coodle their unbearably annoying yip-yip dog.

I don't regret my purchase for it's worth it if just for the facial animations and unique game play. But alas, as you might have already heard, this game can be dreadfully boring.
  70. Jun 3, 2011
    I love Rockstar games, I loved Gta IV, I loved RDR. but L.A. Noire is just an ok game, its brilliant what Rockstar tried to do but the first part of the game I was bored the homicide disc was brilliant then th rest of the game was ok. I don't understand why they didn't have stranger missions, that was one of the best parts of RDR. This was a good attempt at what could have been a brilliant game.
  71. May 18, 2011
    L.A. Noire is another Rockstar victory. If you are a fan of Red Dead Redemption and the Grand Theft Auto series, you will see the influences here. If you have played Mafia II and you liked it, Rockstar much improved on that concept and gameplay feel and expanded it with wide open world maps and outstanding sound and graphics. Marry all of this with a stats system that tracks your gameL.A. Noire is another Rockstar victory. If you are a fan of Red Dead Redemption and the Grand Theft Auto series, you will see the influences here. If you have played Mafia II and you liked it, Rockstar much improved on that concept and gameplay feel and expanded it with wide open world maps and outstanding sound and graphics. Marry all of this with a stats system that tracks your game achievements as well as Call of Duty and you will find a very enjoyable complete game. I find that this game is fun to play with another person as well discussing all of the clues and learning interrogation techniques. This game will be up for game of the year for sure. Congratulations Rockstar, thanks for giving us such a great experience and making a game that will take longer than a few hours to complete. Expand
  72. Aug 7, 2011
    For the first 10 hours or so, I was convinced that L. A. Noire was about to become my favorite game of all time. The amazing scripting, graphics, and thought-provoking gameplay mixed with intense chases and shootouts felt like the perfect combination of elements had finally melded together into one perfect videogame. Then the second half rolls around, another 10 hours or so, and suddenlyFor the first 10 hours or so, I was convinced that L. A. Noire was about to become my favorite game of all time. The amazing scripting, graphics, and thought-provoking gameplay mixed with intense chases and shootouts felt like the perfect combination of elements had finally melded together into one perfect videogame. Then the second half rolls around, another 10 hours or so, and suddenly I'm wondering if I'm even playing the same game. The storyline starts jumping erratically, as if they simply had no idea what direction to take the main character, which is worsened by the fact that your main character actually changes for the last few hours of the game (during which you are limited to campaign missions and unable to explore the surrounding areas). By the end, I found myself wishing that the actual conclusion to the campaign had been at the end of the second act, with the third act cut out all together. It doesn't necessarily ruin the game, but the second half also had me noticing repetition that I hadn't been noticing when first playing. The actual gameplay has little variety and the case investigations feel like the have no impact on the story, so as far as long-term entertainment goes this might not be the best investment. I still think it's worth playing though, if for nothing else then at least to see the amazing graphics at work (seriously, it's creepy sometimes). It certainly sated my desire for an L.A. Confidential-style videogame, and while not as straightforward or as action-packed as something like Mafia II or GTA IV it can still be intense and exciting. Just don't expect to put it on your Top 10 list. Expand
  73. May 18, 2011
    Please note: my score represents the actual quality of the game--great, but not perfect. I've played games better than this one, quite recently.

That said, this game is a quantum leap forward for gaming. It's a bold step that doesn't always work, but it does SOMETHING. The facial animation and blending of open-world and linear, driven gameplay are fantastic and new, and the story it tells is excellent for that. Suffice to say--you need to play this game.
  74. Jun 23, 2011
    Now let me begin this, L.A Noire is one of the best game out there. Imagine if you are a detective and you want to solve crimes. You got yourself this game. You will start thinking that this is a rip-off GTA. Wrong. This is a true revolutionary. It is basically like a tree. It connects from one thing to another depending on how do you solve the case. The game also has RPG elements. LikeNow let me begin this, L.A Noire is one of the best game out there. Imagine if you are a detective and you want to solve crimes. You got yourself this game. You will start thinking that this is a rip-off GTA. Wrong. This is a true revolutionary. It is basically like a tree. It connects from one thing to another depending on how do you solve the case. The game also has RPG elements. Like the experience, dialogue choices, and more.

The graphics is very good. It uses a great technology motion capture tools stuff that I don't have any idea how it worked. It is revolutionary. A new thing on a game. The shooting mechanic works well, the AI is not stupid at all, and the environment looks detailed. The story is awesome and I have nothing again to say with this game. The final score is actually [ 11 ] out of 10. Revolutionary. And a MUST-BUY
  75. Sep 10, 2011
    sure at the beginning it is fun, but after a few missions it is just so repetitive. The facial expressions are great but sometimes the world seems so fake.
  76. Feb 11, 2012
    There are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It wasThere are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It was not very satisfying to solve a case with one real suspect, and annoying to get it wrong for insignificant seeming little details. The controls are pretty clunky on the ground, which makes any shooting parts not particularly enjoyable. Overall it's a fun game with a good story, but I think it could have been executed a lot better. Expand
  77. Jan 20, 2013
    Graphics: 8/10 Story: 8/10 Gameplay: 7/10 Voice Acting: 8/10 Soundtrack: 7/10 Enjoyment: 9/10 =
    7.8 (Great)
    L.A Noire is a flamin' amazing game. If you haven't already buy it! All 3 disks on Xbox keep you entertained for hours and may even drag you into the story like it did to me.
  78. Nov 5, 2013
    L.A. Noire was one of the best games I have ever played. Map was huge and they made it so realistic. Story was amazing, so in depth. Great experience.
  79. May 27, 2012
    What I don't like: I'd loved to see a little bit of more transcendence of my actions. The weird camera moving system when you drive. Helping buttons are shown during the whole game, which makes decreasing the challenge's difficulty. I missed a cooperative mode, you always have a single companion with you. / What like: Very accurate and credible weapon's names. Very well documented, it'sWhat I don't like: I'd loved to see a little bit of more transcendence of my actions. The weird camera moving system when you drive. Helping buttons are shown during the whole game, which makes decreasing the challenge's difficulty. I missed a cooperative mode, you always have a single companion with you. / What like: Very accurate and credible weapon's names. Very well documented, it's clearly visible that the creators made a great compilation of the information needed. The game's difficulty is challenging, specially at the interrogatories. / Conclusion: This is the best game I've tried from this company, just incredible, it makes you experiment a direct connection with the main character. Expand
  80. May 21, 2011
    Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer,Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer, no change in choice. Once you beat this game it's over. In today's days, I'm not sure any game that does not have multiplayer or strong replay value of some sort gets over a 7. Expand
  81. Jul 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimesL.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimes that can be attended at any time (all of which can be skipped if desired) but the main focus of the game is the crime scene investigation and suspect interrogation. On the surface they are both very intruiging elements of gameplay but after a few hours of them, it is clear to see there isn't much depth and that proving a suspect is lying requires one piece of concrete evidence, which can be frustrating when you have multiple items that link them to the crime, but the game says "no, it has to be the correct ONE". The well detailed facial animations are the game's highlight and really help to sell each character, unfortunately everything else just seems ot have been pushed to the sidelines. Cover and shooting mechanics feel very sluggish and will lead to many a pointless death, car handling feels like you are trying to control a shopping cart weighed down with bowling balls and there really isn't anything to do in the large an oppulent recreation of L.A. The game does the atmosphere and the detective gameplay brilliantly, it's just a shame it doesn't do the other areas of the game as well. It's also a shame that the game is a product of Team Bondi's slave driving approach to development. Expand
  82. Jan 29, 2015
    It’s really hard to think of a game that has done something similar to L.A. Noire. It’s not just the fact that the player has at his/her hand the availability of a 1940s Los Angeles sandbox, but the fact that it’s never been this intriguing to play as a detective and well enough love it.

Set in 1947, the player plays as Cole Phelps, a former war hero who rises and shines through the ranks of the LAPD. As a detective, Phelps will take charge of several exciting cases, each revealing new grounds to the overall plot, only to find that his past will play quite the role in this story, and the line that divides good and evil is quite blurred.

The game does a grand job progressing the story, giving good background and development to every character the player meets, including Phelps himself. It is safe to say that not one moment throughout the game does a feeling of dullness come to mind. Each case the player is presented with is a fresh and exciting segment. This is by no means a Disney kind of story, so do not expect a cliché at the end. But that’s a good thing, right? It is, however, a very intriguing and grasping experience.

Setting presentation is above expectations. The 1940s atmosphere is immersive and grand. The urban environment is very detailed. The graphics in this game are quite beautiful. It would be a crime not to mention L.A. Noire’s character dialogue, which is to say at the very least – superb. The amazing performances are enhanced by L.A. Noire’s amazing face-capturing technology. No game, even at this point in 2013 has yet captured the detail facial expressions in L.A. Noire have. Thanks to this, the characters feel alive, they feel like real people.

Gameplay, for the most part, involves the usual sandbox mechanics. There’s the common shootout and chase side missions which are ever fun (and there are 40 of these missions throughout the L.A. area), but when it comes to the detective part of the game, L.A. Noire gets quite peculiar and unique. When asking a question, the player is faced with three options: Truth, Doubt, or Lie. In a detective game, it’s expected to talk to people in order to solve cases, and it is this why the face-capturing technology used in this game is key to the overall experience. Good part of the overall game involves the player interacting with many, many characters. The player must interview people and use clues in order to get to the bottom of things, and the way a character’s face looks and reacts with each answer they give is essential for the player to conclude whether the interviewee is lying or not. Every case presents several scenarios where Phelps finds clues. Clues give context to what’s going on, and the player is expected to use these clues during interviews to further help prove when somebody is lying. It’s very gratifying to get through a list of questions correctly, getting the truth out of a suspect without missing one question, yet a feeling of guilt can present itself every time the player misses good judgment upon their interviewee. And that’s the beauty of L.A. Noire. Interviewing people does not feel like a chore. It’s fun and exciting. The sandbox elements, which cover exploration, collection items, side quests involving police work, and cars (cars are so authentic to the period and they are cool) are well made and serve to the immersion of the game.

Given the concept of the game, which involves interacting with people a lot, one would expect for it to have RPG elements. The story, however, never changes. The player will get the same ending regardless of how you judge your suspects. It’s a shame, really, but by no means makes the game bad. Each case works as an individual “mission”, and the way the player gets through it, i.e. – getting all the clues, catching the right suspect, getting questions right, will ultimately show how well you performed at the end of the case. This performance is judged by stars. Do a great job and you’ll be awarded 5 stars, do poorly and you’ll earn as low as one star. This gameplay concept gives great replay value giving the player good reason to go back and perform better in a case after completing the game. That’s another plus, if the player wishes to play a specific case, he/she only has to select it from a list of cases – no need to start over from the beginning.

L.A. Noire is a unique experience. Characters are amazing, story is solid and interesting, and the setting and atmosphere make up for an awesome experience. Through a regular play-through, the experience can be as long as 25 hours, and thanks to the great variety in characters as well as cases, it will not feel like 25 hours in the end. It will leave behind a feeling of wanting more, and that’s a great thing to say about a game. There are instances where the player is presented with 6-8 hour games and somehow, halfway through the game, it becomes tiring just getting through it. But not L.A. Noire. This game does a great job keeping the player interested, and will, no doubt, bring him/her back to play it again.
  83. May 17, 2011
    A great game with a good story. The story could use some patching up for continuity, and the gameplay can get a little dull. The main rip against this game is the restriction put on the player. Anyone familiar with GTA/RDR will feel a bit taken aback at what you can't do. However, once you get the typical Rockstar image out of your mind, you're left with a very original, fun, andA great game with a good story. The story could use some patching up for continuity, and the gameplay can get a little dull. The main rip against this game is the restriction put on the player. Anyone familiar with GTA/RDR will feel a bit taken aback at what you can't do. However, once you get the typical Rockstar image out of your mind, you're left with a very original, fun, and refreshing experience. It's not perfect, but it is different, and it's definitely fun. Expand
  84. May 23, 2011
    First of all let me say, this game is not everyone's cup of tea, its marmite, you either love it or hate it, this game is not a rockstar typical genre GTA game, and the phrase "GTA but in the 1940's" does not cut it, you play the other side a cop for a change, now this wont seem glamorous and at times it can be damn right boring, but cop work is, driving from location to location is brokenFirst of all let me say, this game is not everyone's cup of tea, its marmite, you either love it or hate it, this game is not a rockstar typical genre GTA game, and the phrase "GTA but in the 1940's" does not cut it, you play the other side a cop for a change, now this wont seem glamorous and at times it can be damn right boring, but cop work is, driving from location to location is broken up by emergency calls over the radio which you can choose to ignore, but are quite fun, running up to a crime " and busting some caps" to break the monotony of the actual story or cases is quite entertaining. you can skip driving by letting your partner drive which allows a short loading screen.

The driving is good, holding handbrakes around corners is especially fun in old cars, and flying over downhill bumps is especially fun when you get some good clearance! The crime investigation is good, with some clues there to throw you off, now don't get me wrong, there is alot of junk to be found at crime scenes, but in lies the fun deciding on whether items are relevant or not, Cole ( the main character) will often say things as to whether they pertain to the investigation or not to help you along. initially the interview questions are guided along at the start of the game as a running "tutorial" but this fades out over time, leaving you to make your own decisions on questions.

The facial expressions are some what confusing first off the bat, as they are glaringly obvious, but become more subtle as you move on, for example what might be a blindingly obvious lie at the start of the game, might be a twitch of the mouth in the middle of the game. you will get used to spotting these as you progress. I recommend playing this game with no distractions, or locking your bedroom door if you do, as you need to watch interactions with the characters very closely as a lie or twitch or a scratch of the head (yes a scratch) will not appear twice, and seeing this will mean the difference between getting more detail on the case or suspect and getting the wrong question. Clues and questions all revolve around a chime and music to allow you to find clues, and tell you whether the question you asked was correct, although initially confusing, you will get used to the music, allowing you to know whether you were correct or not.

This game is a great game all in all. If your looking for a criminal shooter a GTA opposite this is not it, if your looking for a gritty, unusual game full of story and character development then this is it. It is not a perfect game, it isn't meant to be, getting a case wrong can leave you wondering what else was there to find, it can leave you wanting to go back and try another approach but this is what is interesting about the game, leaving you sensing that you could of caught that criminal if you'd have pushed that bit harder or complete opposite, if you'd have tried a softer approach with the woman, would she have given it up to you. This game really puts you in the shoes of a detective.
  85. Jul 22, 2011
    More proof that Rockstar needs to stick to GTA and thats it. Never have they made a game even resembling something enjoyable outside of their roaming sandbox super hit and this game only further proves it. The plot is completely disconnected, the gameplay is simple and boring, its literally the most repetitive game ive played so far on the next generation consoles. The characters areMore proof that Rockstar needs to stick to GTA and thats it. Never have they made a game even resembling something enjoyable outside of their roaming sandbox super hit and this game only further proves it. The plot is completely disconnected, the gameplay is simple and boring, its literally the most repetitive game ive played so far on the next generation consoles. The characters are annoying beyond belief and whats more is that this game was hailed as amazing when it doesnt even live up to half-ass. Not even worth renting. Expand
  86. May 23, 2011
    I've just completed this game, and it is exceptional. The look of this game is amazing, beautiful graphics and wonderful facial animations, most of all though i like the clever use of lighting in this game, it really feels like a 'noir' inspired game. The attention to detail is amazing and every part of post WWII LA is perfectly recreated. The story is excellent and the twist at the endI've just completed this game, and it is exceptional. The look of this game is amazing, beautiful graphics and wonderful facial animations, most of all though i like the clever use of lighting in this game, it really feels like a 'noir' inspired game. The attention to detail is amazing and every part of post WWII LA is perfectly recreated. The story is excellent and the twist at the end certainly shocked me. Gameplay is good, but is pretty much identical to GTA 4, which is not a bad thing. The only couple of points that im disappointed with are, firstly the driving, which could use a lot of tweaking. It took me quite a while to get use to, so i mainly just let my partner drive, and also the outcome of your own personal decisions - whatever option use choose to take, the outcome is the same each time. You'll understand me when you play this game. It's not enough of an issue though to stop me giving this a 10. Brilliant game.. Expand
  87. May 17, 2011
    +Graphics/sound +Story -Control -Gameplay //////// +Amazing visuals, SFX, music and voice overs. +Story and characters really draw you in -Same GTA controls -Lacks the free roaming fun of GTA or even RDR -Poor saving system -Some frame rate issues //////// I will start off by saying I have always been a big Rockstar fan, from the top down GTA to Red Dead Redemption. So naturally I had very+Graphics/sound +Story -Control -Gameplay //////// +Amazing visuals, SFX, music and voice overs. +Story and characters really draw you in -Same GTA controls -Lacks the free roaming fun of GTA or even RDR -Poor saving system -Some frame rate issues //////// I will start off by saying I have always been a big Rockstar fan, from the top down GTA to Red Dead Redemption. So naturally I had very high hopes for LA Noire. Going into Noire one should expect certain restraints from what they have experienced in past Rockstar titles (setting, time, being for the other side of the law). That being said, something is really lost being a cop instead of a criminal. Gone are the killing sprees of GTA, but you can still take whichever car you want. Expect the same GTA style chunky controls for walking, fighting and driving. My biggest issue with the game is the saving system. Imagine playing GTA or Fallout 3 from start to end of a mission without saving. When I play games I have to get the best possible outcome every time, so this meant having to redo entire cases over just to get correct questions at the end. Seriously, you can only auto save, no save slots, no going home to save, only when the games wants to save. I even had to redo missions just because of auto save confusion. I have many problems with this game, but I still am having some fun with it. Ultimately, it's a step back from GTA/RDR, with better graphics. If you're hoping for GTA craziness, you will be very disappointed. If you're hoping for a nice story with some puzzles in between, here you go. Expand
  88. Jun 13, 2011
    Good game.
    Too much hype maybe for the "facial motion scan" technology used in this game which is honestly impressive. And it's the core of the game. Sadly, it's impact is mitigated on the overall experience. Nevertheless many developers should use this technology in all future releases.
    Good game.

Otherwise gameplay wise, the game is slow, sometimes dull so you have to be patient, shooting is 'clunky', action is repetitive (but it's not 'that' repetitive as others claim in my opinion) and most seriously, when it comes to the story's pacing itself, it's a little messy. Suddenly some important events occur abruptly, very quickly in the scenario/story (could have been smoother) You have no real control over the events: even if you fail questioning, the game will still go on and there's absolutely no real attachment/affection/sympathy to any of the characters in the game.

It's a good game, a nice and courageous try but it's definitely not a gaming revolution as some might have claimed.

7.5/10
    Not Bad
  89. May 29, 2011
    To start off, this game is easily one of the most surprising games to come out in a long time. Is it good? Better, its GREAT. But that doesn't make it immune to a few problems.
    PROS:
    PROS:
    Story - The story is fantastic. You are Cole Phelps, a war veteran, trying to bring justice and control to a city that is beginning to burst with fame and crime. The story is mature and does put in its quips of humor here and there. However, the cases you follow definitely have a serious tone to them and each and every crime you come across gives new challenges and rewards you for interrogating and investigating appropriately to how well you handled a situation.
    Graphics:
    Facial animations are superbly done well and when you think you have learned all the tricks of when someone is lying or doubting you, then begins the whole new area that throws you off your feet and you are cornered in a room in which you can't discover a lie.
    Music - A very classy soundtrack that fits the territory well. Makes the atmosphere relateable that you can relax into the plot.

CONS:
    Graphics: While yes, the facial animation is well done, if you were to compare graphics to other games, it would make LA Noire low on that list. It is similar to GTA and while yes, for 2011, the graphics are good, they aren't enough to write home about.
    Replay Value - Once you beat the cases, the sense of mystery and danger is gone, and you know where to look for clues. However, it is fun to see how perfect of a score you can get if you try hard enough [which isn't easy even with a 2nd play through].
    More Dark than Noire - For something to be called Noire, good guys can't be as good as they appear to be and bad guys need to be either evil or borderline understandable [Watch Memento, LA Confidential]. It is still a dark and shadowy world in which you will enter with femme fatales and dark streets, but I felt it being more dark and detective opposed to being part of the noir genre. but that's is really not a complaint, mainly because it is still a great atmosphere and great game.
    Overall? Get this game if you enjoy thinking and playing in the roles of cops who are trying to save a city from a menace. Don't get this game if you are too anal about everything and think COD plots are the best thing on earth.
  90. Jun 2, 2011
    It has the Rockstar logo on the box, so I was expecting great things. But...It's just...boring.

During one case, I had to chase this bloke who had a shot gun, so I was looking forward to a bit of gun play. He hid behind a wall, so I took cover too. He popped out and I took aim and shot him in the arm. He flopped down dead, action over. Booo! Car chase sequence. The cars handle just a

Car chase sequence. The cars handle just a bit too well. I'm expecting some over steer from a big old American car, but they corner like they're on rails. This caused me to mount the kerb at high speed. Wouldn't have looked good, me a Police detective, smearing some innocents along the pavement. Fortunately for them, they just bounced off the car like they were made of rubber. Boooo!

That's as far as it goes for the good bits.

The rest was the usual:
    Wander around looking for clues. Pick things up. Look at them. If it's relevant it goes in the note book. Dull, dull, dull.

Pre-scripted witness/suspect questions and the Truth/Doubt/Lie option following the answer. That gets really boring after the first two Q&A sessions.

Why is this game getting such high scores?
    The face animation does look good. But it doesn't make for a good game. It's a gimmick. This is the gaming equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes.
  91. Jul 18, 2012
    This is a tricky game to write a review for due to the fact that this game is for an extremely select few. To give a bit of background: Noir is my favorite genre of film and fiction, I was practically raised on the stuff.

The best summary I can give is this: The game play elements all play well but they are mediocre at best- the action and driving is standard and polished however does not stand out amongst games that hold a more consistent focus on third-person action (Max Payne 3) or driving (any GTA game). When I speak of driving elements in L.A. Noire, the driving is fun but because points are deducted if the player does anything that is logically contradicting to a police officer's duty- this makes sense- but any sort of vigilantism is nonexistent, which is peculiar given that the game is supposed to be about corruption and scandalous themes. Sure, the main character is a "goody two shoes" but it would be cool if there was a development where he becomes more of an antihero- this would make it classic noir.

On the note of vigilantism, the game is initself a contribution to the noir genre - this brings up a minor complaint on my behalf that the game is spelled "noire" as if its trying to be avant garde or chic despite the fact that it could have easily been spelled "L.A. Noir" and perhaps would have looked better; many elements of noir are not present (focus on shadows, the hero being an anti hero), although the cliches of murder, crime etc are present. I suppose this is insignificant in the big picture though.

The highlight and main focus on the game lies in the interrogation of suspects and witnesses, and it is in this regard that the game does get some major pros- the cons inherent are that, after a while, it can become extremely difficult to get the "correct" answers (being "lie," "truth," "doubt") and the major encouraging facet that how some of the missions unfold and how the plot is unveiled is based on the where, who, how and why's extracted from interrogations can be very clever.

Though, for a perfectionist who wants to get down the "perfect" (or close to "perfect") accomplishment of tacit objectives in the missions, there is a requirement of having to restart the entire mission and some of the longer cutscenes cannot be skipped; as well the same interrogations must be done to lead one from one character to the next.

The plot is good. People have compared it to L.A. Confidential, which is a fair comparison, though I would say that the film is much better and (perhaps ironic to the game) executed in a fashion more fitting to the noir genre.

It's not that this game is bad, it's just not stellar or even very great, in the long run. Rent it or borrow it first from a friend but keep in mind the game becomes understandably formulaic. Regardless it should be praised for being unique- but being unique has never made a game a standalone classic or an absolute must have.
  92. Dec 13, 2011
    L.A. Noire would be great if it were'nt for its repetitive nature , but it still manages to be unique in its own way . A little more variety and this could very well have been a Game of the Year contender but nevertheless , if you're looking for challenging investigations , excellent attention to detail , a " slow to kick into high gear " yet memorable story , then L.A. Noire is the game for you .
  93. Nov 21, 2011
    When you get past the innovation and face expressions what you have is an average game that reminds me of the repetitive game play that was once assassins creed. It was fun half way in after that I could care less. I know its a detective story and its not GTA however picking A, B or C in the end is still A,B or C.
  94. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the most genuine and innovative games of this generation. Great atmopshere, great story, great gameplay and the facial animation is truly next gen... This is a masterpiece... One of the best games ever...
  95. Mar 29, 2014
    GOOD: Great story showing the police career and WWII flashbacks from the protagonist, Cole Phelps; Plays out like a movie; Not one bad performance from any of the actors(not voice actors, real actors); Innovative crime scene and interrogation mechanics; Cases show stuff that people would actually do to each other in real life(especially Homicide which is brutal); If you struggle on a case,GOOD: Great story showing the police career and WWII flashbacks from the protagonist, Cole Phelps; Plays out like a movie; Not one bad performance from any of the actors(not voice actors, real actors); Innovative crime scene and interrogation mechanics; Cases show stuff that people would actually do to each other in real life(especially Homicide which is brutal); If you struggle on a case, you can ask your partner for help; If you have online, you can use intuition points to help you(use wisely because, the points are limited); If you mess up on a case, you can replay it to do better which would add a lot more time for you to have fun playing this; Fun gun play and brawls; Team Bondi did a good job making the game a near exact depiction of LA in the 1940's; All of the cars were real and actual cars from real companies; Over 90 cars to collect; Fun car chases; Good soundtrack; Funny Mad Men cameos that made me smile, even from the protagonist in the game, Aaron Staton; street crimes were optional

BAD: Boring street crimes; some of the desks like Traffic and Ad Vice were too short; The Ad Vice was inappropriately cut off right when you were about to finish; needed to have fun side activities(bowling would have been perfect as a side activity since the cops go there every week); The game ends rather abruptly(needed to be a little bit longer)

FINAL VERDICT: This game barely misses a 10/10, so it will end up as a 9/10. Needed to add side activities and make more cases to seal a 10/10. Despite the problems, it is one of the best games I have ever played and the most innovative out of all. I say this game is an ALL TIME LEGEND. Just on this game alone, there is something I have to say about Team Bondi: DEVELOPED AS A LEGEND, DIED AS A LEGEND, AND RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD TO DEVELOP ONCE MORE! That's right, Team Bondi is back and developing a game that is planned to come out in 2015 called, Whore Of The Orient, I cannot wait. Play this game immediately if you haven't already, especially if you are a fan of detective stories.
  96. Jan 1, 2015
    This game is a master piece in every way, from its detective noir style story to its shootout moments, to its tense and jazz style music. Its hard to imagine you won't like this game. You play as Cole Phelps a new detective proving yourself to the force. While dealing with the real world, you learn about Phelps cold past. Overall a solid game.
  97. May 29, 2011
    Any game which references Shelley and Hamlet is a-okay in my book. This is an unique experience, and will sure leave many people expecting a GTA in Noir-style or even a Red Dead Redemption-styled game cold. This is a new step in the direction of video-game-to-movie-integration, I saw one commentator say that this is not so, that it is definitely a video-game, and I don't know what thatAny game which references Shelley and Hamlet is a-okay in my book. This is an unique experience, and will sure leave many people expecting a GTA in Noir-style or even a Red Dead Redemption-styled game cold. This is a new step in the direction of video-game-to-movie-integration, I saw one commentator say that this is not so, that it is definitely a video-game, and I don't know what that person was talking about; It feels and looks like a movie, where kinetic energy is based more on story and character development rather than action. The game-play is a bit awkward however, and there are minor incongruities in the flow of action when the police captain will yell at you while in the next scene praise you. These are only minor complaints but are also important since the game strives for such heights. In ambition it is definitely a 10, but in execution it is more of an 8, and so the final will have to be 9. I can't comment on the story, since I'm not completely done, but it does a great job of pulling you into, maybe not such a realistic world, as much as an world of Los Angeles 40's noir which thrives on the mystique of LA folklore. Expand
  98. May 20, 2011
    Please, if you have any sanity, do not listen to any negative reviews; LA Noire has come under a small attack of trolls who try to trick you into not purchasing good games, as seen by Portal 2's reviews. Any serious reviews that are displeased by this game, which is unlikely, are simply done by idiots and children. This game takes many steps forward from your casual game by introducingPlease, if you have any sanity, do not listen to any negative reviews; LA Noire has come under a small attack of trolls who try to trick you into not purchasing good games, as seen by Portal 2's reviews. Any serious reviews that are displeased by this game, which is unlikely, are simply done by idiots and children. This game takes many steps forward from your casual game by introducing something unheard of by angsty teenagers everywhere-- more story than there is combat! Yes, I'm sure all of you short-witted and impatient 12-year-olds out there are angered by this, but do not worry, if you have ever played an actual videogame in your life besides Call of Duty, then you will probably love LA Noire. Expand
  99. May 17, 2011
    The most beautifully crafted game since Heavy Rain, an immediate Game of the Year contender and the most ambitious title Rockstar have ever produced. So far this year it is equal only to Portal 2 in terms of ground-breaking game mechanics and it's sheer brilliance.
  100. May 18, 2011
    Perhaps it was high expectations going into LA Noire that let me down, but Rockstar Games' new cop thriller really misses the mark. I believe the Graphics of the game are one of the greatest let downs. Early ads for the game boasted about a new facial capture technology and how players would read faces, which would enhance interrogations, yet everyone makes the same face. If they're lyingPerhaps it was high expectations going into LA Noire that let me down, but Rockstar Games' new cop thriller really misses the mark. I believe the Graphics of the game are one of the greatest let downs. Early ads for the game boasted about a new facial capture technology and how players would read faces, which would enhance interrogations, yet everyone makes the same face. If they're lying they'll start to smile. "Oh officer, my husband's dead!? Smirk" if anything, they really detracted from the feel. As well, the faces look like sweaty face molds pulled over a mannequin's face: they're good, but there's something off about them. But this being said, the game looks good otherwise, capturing the City of LA in it's hey-day beautifully. Another disappointment are the driving mechanics. For a company like Rockstar to drop the ball here is a real crying shame. The cars feel like something that were tacked on last minute. They drive like boulders. Perhaps this is because they're 1940's models, but still, if you can make a Horse feel effortless (Red Dead series) I would expect the same here. Another step back from previous Rockstar games is the shooting. Shootouts are ever so awkward. I think you have unlimited ammo (the game doesn't tell you how much you have) and aiming is a pain, even with auto help on. And now on to the bread and butter of the game: crime scenes and clue finding. Clue finding is simple, look around a crime scene and press the A button until the music goes away. Interrogations function the same way, watch what face they're making (they only ever make 4 different faces) and press the corresponding button. Crimes are easy to solve and replay value is minimal, seeing as there are only so many crimes and once you solve it once, it's hard to go back and resolve. Overall, the gameplay detracts from the main experience. All of this being said, the game is still saved by it's plot and atmosphere. It truly puts you into the shoes of Cole Phelps, and the added backdrop of post war LA boosts this, something I wasn't expecting. However, the characters are fairly shallow, in a game that makes me feel like a Law & Order detective, I would expect to feel something for my partner, or even myself, but the game falls short. This being said, the game is only about cases.

In the end, if you like to watch Law & Order, you'll enjoy this video-game, however if you're looking for the next Rockstar hit, this is not it.

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]