L.A. Noire Xbox 360

7.8

1. Jul 4, 2013
    Its restrictive world may be a little bit of a turn-off for some hardcore free-roamer fans, but "L.A. Noire's" innovative gameplay and insanely immersive narrative make it an incredible must-play.
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    Impressive and unique but fails to live up to the potential. A short campaign, lame collectables, and repetitive objectives take away from LA Noire's value but its rather addicting and will keep you coming back for more.
  3. Jul 21, 2014
    What truly makes L.A. Noire great is how different it is, not just from Rockstar games, but from games in general. You play as a detective solving murders and other crimes. I love it, it's truly a thinking man's game and requires actual skill.
  4. Jul 3, 2011
    L.A. Noire is an innovative but flawed title that brings gaming to places it has never been before. The most impressive feature of this game is its amazing facial capture technology, creating realistic faces. Unfortunately other areas of the body are look merely average in comparison. 1940's Los Angeles is stunning recreated, with the attention to detail reminiscent of Red Dead Redemption.L.A. Noire is an innovative but flawed title that brings gaming to places it has never been before. The most impressive feature of this game is its amazing facial capture technology, creating realistic faces. Unfortunately other areas of the body are look merely average in comparison. 1940's Los Angeles is stunning recreated, with the attention to detail reminiscent of Red Dead Redemption. The detective work is interesting and clever, allowing the player to piece together the case and give their brain some work to do. Chase sequences both on foot and in your car feel fresh as does the hand to hand fighting. The game does, however, go on too long, with the game often feeling like two or three separate stories in one. There are many instances that could be described as climaxes but the game keeps on going. The game does get repetitive with time but the intriguing cases help keep you interested. While not a classic, L.A. Noire is still an exceptional game that deserve recognition. Expand
  5. May 6, 2012
    L.A Noire s one of the best game I have ever played. Rockstar Games make another masterpiece of a game. This game gets the best story award of 2011 and of any game I have ever played by me. Part 1 of L.A Noire was fantastic and part 2 even better and part 3 was the best. The ending was good. I don't no why people thought it was odd. It was very sad ending. Part 1 8/10 Part 2 9/10 Part 3L.A Noire s one of the best game I have ever played. Rockstar Games make another masterpiece of a game. This game gets the best story award of 2011 and of any game I have ever played by me. Part 1 of L.A Noire was fantastic and part 2 even better and part 3 was the best. The ending was good. I don't no why people thought it was odd. It was very sad ending. Part 1 8/10 Part 2 9/10 Part 3 9/10 L.A Noire 9.4/10 Expand
  6. Sep 9, 2017
    L.A Noire is an amazing creation. Team Bondi have made a stylish, thrilling and immersive game that engages you with the story and has players bringing out the LAPD detective in them. It is both challenging and enjoyable and a must play for gamers everywhere.
  7. Jun 27, 2013
    If you're looking for a unique game, LA Noire is a definite "must own" game. The whole is just very well done. The motion capture system used is spot on and the game has a sense of realism I have not seen in any other game. Really, the only flaw with this game is the gameplay, which by the third disk gets a bit stale and repetitive.
    If you like to try new things, give LA Noire a shot.
  8. Dec 4, 2012
    Hell **** yeah!!! this game is **** awesome. Seriously. I don't know what they make their people do at Rocksar but they should keep doing it because this game has everything that I could possibly want out of a detective game. Even side missions like street crimes. Jesus Christ, this is awesome
  9. Feb 3, 2013
    A revolutionary game that sets new standards in facial animation. An interesting character, gorgeous period detail, immersive graphics and audio. If you enjoy Philip Marlow you or Sam Spade you will love this game.
  10. Apr 16, 2013
    What an incredible experience this video game is. A journey throughout from start to finish. Very very tricky though, had to use a walk through once or twice but overall, a brilliant game!
  11. Sep 15, 2011
    A very unique take from Rockstar that focuses more on story than gameplay. The facial animation is pretty much the greatest achievement this game has ever put out and it will be an influence in future games and its implementation on interrogation is nothing short of genius. Though the story is very good, as it is a story based game, I did find the gameplay very repetitive and made theA very unique take from Rockstar that focuses more on story than gameplay. The facial animation is pretty much the greatest achievement this game has ever put out and it will be an influence in future games and its implementation on interrogation is nothing short of genius. Though the story is very good, as it is a story based game, I did find the gameplay very repetitive and made the story drag. Being a story based game, it does a very good job of making you feel like a detective and the game itself is aware of that; nothing more, nothing less but I do feel that they could have added more into the gameplay Expand
  12. Mar 20, 2012
    There are many things good about this game, but there are also a lot of problems I will address. This game has the most beautiful facial animations, motion capture, and even some of the best acting in any game to date. The story is gripping, it keeps you interested, and the uniqueness of the gameplay only adds to the experience that is L.A. Noire. Sadly, this game lacks replay value in aThere are many things good about this game, but there are also a lot of problems I will address. This game has the most beautiful facial animations, motion capture, and even some of the best acting in any game to date. The story is gripping, it keeps you interested, and the uniqueness of the gameplay only adds to the experience that is L.A. Noire. Sadly, this game lacks replay value in a serious way. It really is only a mystery once; there are no options, no alternates, just the same outcomes to each case. I beat this game 100% (my second Rockstar 100% after RDR), and while I still find myself playing RDR every once in a while, I have not touched L.A. Noire since my final achievement. There is nothing left for me to do. Combine that with some tedious tasks required to get 100% completion (randomly spawning collectibles, WHY), repetitive side quests, and a few mechanical problems, this game gets an 8. I enjoyed it immensely, but there is no replay value to it at all. Rent it, beat it, return it. It is not a game I would advocate purchasing Expand
  13. Aug 8, 2012
    This game was very fun to play, it had a great, well written story, having to read the faces and make the right decisions was great fun and put you into the shoes of Cole Phelps, the greatest detective known to xbox.
  14. Aug 1, 2013
    One of the better games of this generation. Incredible atmosphere, attention to detail and the best facial animations to this time. The story is great, the characters feel real with all their good and bad attributes and the storytelling is original. At times, the pace is kinda slow and some cases aren' t that much interesting, but the originality makes this game of a fine quality.

The

The graphics are great though there are framedrops. Animating every move in this vast world is a great achievement though. Make Cole run and immediately stick to a wall or try jumping different kinds of objects. No clipping cause of the great collision detection system for an open world game. The facial animations though steal the show. It should be a standard for all games from now on. At times they might seem a little blurry but, seeing the muscles of the neck and be able to tell a difference makes new space in the gameplay sector.

Gameplay-wise it feels like a new-gen adventure. You have to find clues and be thorough if you want a better result for your case. You have to figure the perpetrator out and try to foresee motives. It's great and has an atmosphere that sucks you in. More activities would be great besides the street crimes so that you could feel that you're living in the 40's LA and some of the aspects of the story weren't so much been looked into such as Cole's family or his relationships with his colleagues or brothers-in-arms.

All in all, great game with some original ideas and incredible attention to detail, though its pacing is not for everyone. Like adventure games.
  15. Apr 26, 2014
    I am writing this after finally playing the PC version of the game and it`s one of the most pleasant surprises I`ve had in gaming. The reason is that according to Metacritic there is no PC version, and yet I felt I had to put my two cents in here about LA Noire.
    Not being a huge GTA fan due to my profound lack of interest in Russian pimps with fake accents, f-bombs and car chases I wasn`t expecting too much from this game. But by golly did it have one of the best stories I`ve seen in a game to date. It is also a technical marvel, recreating 1946 LA faithfully enough, which is where the game takes place. The graphics and sound are good and the game play excellent. Occasionally there isn`t a whole lot where you`d expect there to be at least something, but considering that the game simulates a huge city it can hardly be avoided. Even so, LA Noire does an admirable job of making LA appear fully inhabited anyway,. And a mini game of sorts of police radio emergencies means that you`ll have small twists interrupting your pursuit of the main quest all through the game, so giving you more variety than games like Mafia for example. As for the sound the only problem I had was the car radio that keeps going every time you step into the car. When you hear the same news story and the same semi-annoying 1940s song every ten minutes for the entire duration of the game it loses some of its immersive quality. Of course you can turn the radio off, but then it`s all quiet and weird.... But the voiceovers and sound FX are all good, as is the music.

Basically you play as a police detective and follow the ups and downs of his career while uncovering the main story. But since it`s open world you can do this whenever you want to, and me I had a blast just driving various cars way too fast around town and regularly forgot what I was supposed to be doing.
    Anyway, police officer Cole Phelps drives around chasing bad guys and investigating crime scenes before interrogating witnesses and suspects. The interrogations make use of a facial motion capture technique to hint at when suspects are lying, and it is so realistic that I could actually recognize several real life TV actors Rockstar had hired to play the parts. Do all this well enough and you`ll move on to the next case, and the next desk and eventually to the grim ending to the game. The investigation of cases is somewhat similar to what games like CSI have done, but in my mind a lot more interesting because they are in fully interactive environments and part of a larger story going on. In particular some of the main cases for Phelps to solve at the end of each chapter are large, involve multiple crime scenes and feel just riveting. This part of the game really sucks you into what`s going on and gives you a constant feeling of achievement.
    But the thing that really makes LA Noire shine is the amazing story and the compelling characters you`ll get to know while progressing through it. There are really no one-dimensional cliche figures. Rather with almost all the main characters, including Phelps, you tend to think you have them figured out just to have something emerge that makes them more nuanced, and therefore more convincing and interesting. On rare occasions computer games can play like interactive versions of quality novels and this is such an occasion. Saying more might spoil it though, so I won`t.

If you like adventure games, detective simulations, driving games or just plain old great game design and story telling then rush out and get LA Noire with all haste. The only negative thing about this game is that something this good only comes along every five years or so, if we`re lucky, so you will inevitably enter quality-withdrawal just as soon as you finish it.

PS: Judging by reviews above there are some loading issues on the console version but obviously none of that on the PC. If there are other differences I wouldn`t be able to tell you.
  16. Dec 30, 2016
    diferente dos outros da produtora, agora voce controla um policial que vira detetive depois, tem ótimos momentos, mesmo nao sendo como GTA, onde voce mata todo mundo e faz muitas zoeiras, é um ótimo jogo, os personagens tem expressoes faciais impressionante, parece gente de verdade, tem momentos dificeis, e uma belo visual da cidade, mesmo nao sendo o melhor game da Rockstar, entraria nodiferente dos outros da produtora, agora voce controla um policial que vira detetive depois, tem ótimos momentos, mesmo nao sendo como GTA, onde voce mata todo mundo e faz muitas zoeiras, é um ótimo jogo, os personagens tem expressoes faciais impressionante, parece gente de verdade, tem momentos dificeis, e uma belo visual da cidade, mesmo nao sendo o melhor game da Rockstar, entraria no meu top 5. Nota 9.2 Expand
  17. Jul 26, 2011
    The story is excellent. It's also extremely linear. There's exploration, action, and drama. It's a fun adventure in the shoes of a starchy and hard-nosed detective. The rendering of classic LA is fantastic. You can spend hours just driving around looking for landmarks and hidden film cans. But a large portion is trying to solve cases. The cases are challenging enough, but they also aren'tThe story is excellent. It's also extremely linear. There's exploration, action, and drama. It's a fun adventure in the shoes of a starchy and hard-nosed detective. The rendering of classic LA is fantastic. You can spend hours just driving around looking for landmarks and hidden film cans. But a large portion is trying to solve cases. The cases are challenging enough, but they also aren't as rewarding as you would think. Most of the murder cases don't actually get solve which is annoying. All in all. For the story and for the representation of Los Angeles post WWII, it's worth picking up. Expand
  18. Sep 24, 2014
    This game feels nearly like a movie. You're this detective, Cole Phelps of whom was formly in world war against Japan. It sets out in the 40's, in LA and crime is at it's all time high. This isn't a GTA clone in no way, and if you're knocking because of that you are an idiot. So basically the game requires you to pay attention to detail, and look for clues. At most points, you'll have toThis game feels nearly like a movie. You're this detective, Cole Phelps of whom was formly in world war against Japan. It sets out in the 40's, in LA and crime is at it's all time high. This isn't a GTA clone in no way, and if you're knocking because of that you are an idiot. So basically the game requires you to pay attention to detail, and look for clues. At most points, you'll have to tell if a persons Lying, telling the truth, or holding out on you. You have to check dead bodies too. You will be able to tell do rockstar using actual spot on facial animations. Tha map feels so hugh, even though there's not much to in the world you will be traveling for minutes. Due to it having so many blocks. You an reply to street crimes. (Which do get very repetitive) Well you make you're way through 5 ranks abd you get different partners:

Patrol (This is sort of like a totourial) Partner Ralph Dunn
    Traffic (You deal with car accident crimes) Partner Stefan Bekowsky
    Homicide ( Dealing with murder crimes) Partner Rusty Galloway
    Vice (Dealing with drug crimes) Partner Roy Earl
    Arson (Dealing with fire crimes) Partner Hershel.
    All partners act different, my favorite partner was Rusty. My least favorite was Roy. He's such a racist and a sexist.
    My favorites were Vice and Homicide. Searching for shipments, or trying murders were really interesting. As you progress through the game you'll become famous. NPC will say "Hey, you're the dectective in the paper."
    The voice acting is spot on.
    The shooting and the car physics were great.

Now let's talk about why I didn't give LA Noire a 10 or 9. there are quite a few cons too it.

1. It doesn't feel like an open world game. This game has a big and dense map, however there's nothing to do in it. I know this isn't GTA, but that still doesn't change the fact that there should be more content. It

2. The Graphics. the facial animations were good, but the graphics weren't all that at all. They seemed worst then GTA IV's.

3. It's very repetitive. Mostly every mission's the same, and that get's boring.

But other than that it's a great game.
  19. Oct 29, 2012
    On paper, LA Noire sounds like an open-world sandbox fused with an interactive movie, but in truth, it's so much more. It's groundbreaking, effortlessly engaging and utterly sublime. To miss playing LA Noire would be a heinous crime. Simply put, it's a work of unbridled genius.
  20. May 28, 2011
    This is my Favourite Game of all time (Mainly because im a big Noir Genre fan) it is full of exciting missions and it is a BIG Game! I love the Story, its classic Noir at it's best! The Gameplay is Fresh and unique and the Graphics are Remarkable. Go out and Buy this Game!
  21. Jan 4, 2013
    L.A. Noire reminds me of the old gangster movies. L.A. Noire has brilliant voice acting, cases that are really hard to solve and the graphics are unbelivable. It remains one of the best games Rockstar made. 9/10
  22. May 24, 2011
    A truly special experience. This game was clearly meant for a certain kind of gamer. An adult gamer and one that has a mature mind. Those who scoring this game low clearly lack the maturity to appreciate it for what it is...a work of art. If you go I to this game expecting GTA not only are you a fool you will be disappointed.
  23. May 30, 2011
    Anyone who says this is a bad game is a little girl. This game has the graphics, characters, storyline, everything is there. the storyline is very intence with cases that will keep you guessing for the whole game it also has a back story (srry no spoilers) I kust really loved this game i dont no what to say.
  24. May 4, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a phenomenal experience. Not only is it a unique twist on the open world sandbox game, but it is an unbelievably refreshing challenge. While the challenge of most games of today are about shooting and quick kills, gaining experience and killing bosses etc., L.A. Noire challenges the player to investigate, put together esoteric clues, and decide whether or not someone isL.A. Noire is a phenomenal experience. Not only is it a unique twist on the open world sandbox game, but it is an unbelievably refreshing challenge. While the challenge of most games of today are about shooting and quick kills, gaining experience and killing bosses etc., L.A. Noire challenges the player to investigate, put together esoteric clues, and decide whether or not someone is lying or telling the truth during interrogations, via the ridiculously detailed facial animation capture technology. There are shooting moments, but they pepper certain moments of rising action. It's not a normal game by any means, especially coming from the controversial developer Rockstar. But this game is by no means simple; characters are mature, the material is mature, and the way L.A. Noire engages the player is far different than anything I've ever played. The way the story, the sub plots, every single cutscene, and cases all weave together truly engage the player to think as well as examine all aspects of what exactly is going on is masterful, if a little unbalanced. The gameplay mechanics may be a little wonky at some moments, and there are a couple glitches that occur, and the story may take quite some time to start getting good, but the positives more than outweigh the negatives. L.A. Noire is innovative, fresh, and most of all engaging and challenging, all in new ways. Rockstar and Team Bondi have truly crafted an awesome and riveting experience, one that comes fairly close to be crowned the "Citizen Cane" of video games, if it is a minor bit flawed. This is one game I definitely recommend to anyone looking for a now inexpensive and very fresh take on the sandbox video game. 9.5/10, rounds up to 10 on metacritic Expand
  25. May 19, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. The graphics, the story, and the gameplay far surpass many games. Being able to play as the good guy now is a much newer experience compared to all the other GTA games i have played. Many will complain that this game has too much talking, interrogating, and searching for clues, but it does have just enough action to keep people satisfied. The only keeping thisThis game is truly amazing. The graphics, the story, and the gameplay far surpass many games. Being able to play as the good guy now is a much newer experience compared to all the other GTA games i have played. Many will complain that this game has too much talking, interrogating, and searching for clues, but it does have just enough action to keep people satisfied. The only keeping this from a full ten out of ten, is it's still a lot like GTA 4, RDR, and Mafia 2. I wish something newer could be added to the open world freedom. Expand
  26. Oct 12, 2011
    Easily one of the best games of all time. The fact that the crime is all based on real events adds a nice realism aspect. The gameplay is really fun. It got a lot of flac at launch for not being like Grand Theft Auto, but I think that's a good thing based on what we got instead. It's only real flaws are glitches found in any other Rockstar branded game.
  27. May 22, 2011
    The review under green don't like videogames anymore, don't like inovations anymore. L.A. Noire is the best game of the year and Rockstar proved that sandbox is a kind of game that you can enjoy FOREVER. This games is innovative, beatiful and the new motion face cap is the most wonderful thing that I've seen in a videogame. Im from Brazil. Mateus Prado Sousa
  28. Mar 1, 2012
    For me, L.A. Noire is one of those games that is very hard not to like. At one point or another in our childhood, we've either wanted to be a detective or played being a detective with our friends and L.A. Noire just allows you to be one. The game has its faults but they are few and far between and nothing that would make this game bad. Driving can be a little hectic, even if you put theFor me, L.A. Noire is one of those games that is very hard not to like. At one point or another in our childhood, we've either wanted to be a detective or played being a detective with our friends and L.A. Noire just allows you to be one. The game has its faults but they are few and far between and nothing that would make this game bad. Driving can be a little hectic, even if you put the siren on, cars tend to not move, people tend to still not care. Also, things can get kind of linear at times. The side missions always involve you shooting someone whose either robbed a bank or gotten into some kind of dispute. The great things about the game is just the experience of playing as a cop. Finding clues, questioning suspects, shootouts, trying to find the right person to charge, that whole experience is brilliant. The graphics are great, the people and their facial expressions are great, overall great game. Expand
  29. May 24, 2011
    If you are someone that enjoys previous entries by companies like Quantic Dream you will more than likely enjoy L.A. Noire. If you are simply expecting the next Red Dead or GTA then this style of game play probably is not for you and you should give it a rent first to test the waters. I personally love the game. It has a great gritty feel and really pulls you in to the story. The castIf you are someone that enjoys previous entries by companies like Quantic Dream you will more than likely enjoy L.A. Noire. If you are simply expecting the next Red Dead or GTA then this style of game play probably is not for you and you should give it a rent first to test the waters. I personally love the game. It has a great gritty feel and really pulls you in to the story. The cast and voice acting is great along with the dream sequences that flesh out your characters story. The city of L.A. looks and sounds amazing, one of my all time favorite game to date. Expand
  30. Apr 7, 2014
    Instead of going down the usual route of sandbox games these days, L.A Noire implements some unique features and ways to tackle your objectives that whilst not satisfying the cravings of those wanting GTA set in the 1950s, makes for one of the most unique games that came out for it's generation and one that we most likely will not see ever again.

Not everything is perfect, clues and

Not everything is perfect, clues and questioning suspects can be deep and rewarding if you really pay attention to every detail, but the game still wanders into the same direction if you succeed or fail. It can zap some of the fun and reality out of the situation when you come to realize after your second failed interrogation, that you do not really "fail". The ending result remains the same whether or not you picked up ever clue or noticed every tell in a liar's face.

Whilst the environments are beautiful in the game, finding every clue can be a hassle as use of highlighted sound whence near a inspect-able object isn't perfect, but it works enough to give you a sense of accomplishment when you gather enough evidence to have a reasonable idea of how to tackle your next witness or suspect.

The formula stats to wear thin after a while and the action sequences aren't enough to bring the level of excitement a shootout in other sandbox games would normally deliver, but the game is unique enough that it is worth playing, and the achievements of creating almost next gen like visuals on a 5 year old console is a must see.
  31. Jul 24, 2011
    I especially loved this game for it's sense of novelty and sheer innovation, but the repetitive sequencing is regenerated like oxygen, you really can't stop breathing in, but at the same time you get used to it and think "i'll die someday and that's it" (what?) The things Rockstar promised to showcase through the game were not exactly what we've expected, except it was more than what we'veI especially loved this game for it's sense of novelty and sheer innovation, but the repetitive sequencing is regenerated like oxygen, you really can't stop breathing in, but at the same time you get used to it and think "i'll die someday and that's it" (what?) The things Rockstar promised to showcase through the game were not exactly what we've expected, except it was more than what we've actually imagined it to be, the graphics are purely next-gen and still above that ratio even though it's a bit representative to what Rockstar games have accomplished over the past few years. The games sandbox is quite appealing and it's resemblance to the 40's L.A. is what seems to have achieved Team-Bondi's goals for the game. The narrative is eerie along the unexpected twists and creative direction, how your choices affect your reputation as a detective, and how aggressive or persuasive you are is an amazing element that really brought the genre to life, and not forgetting the mind blowing motion-scan technology that really replicated the intensity, fear, anxiety or the suspicious looks of actors into what made L.A Noire a game that really redefined the detective game genre and blew our minds. (mine at least) Expand
  32. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is a different bird which is refreshing.

The presentation and voice acting is stellar. The concept is really cool too. The game play feels like every other big Rockstar game (GTA, Red Dead Redemption) and that is good or bad depending on how you feel about it. Investigating areas is streamlined and basic but how it all adds up at end is rewarding The golden pig of the
    This game is a different bird which is refreshing.

The golden pig of the whole operation is supposed to be the questioning of suspects and motion capture visuals and yada yada yada. All I can say is it's pretty good. I found it really hard to read suspects reactions and gestures. What looked like avoiding eye contact sometimes was just a defiant suspect. What looked like a cooperative straight to the point suspect was sometimes a flat out liar.

And maybe that was the whole point in an effort to avoid a cookie cutter game and to show how police work has lots of gray areas. It still left me feeling frustrated because even if I was a master at reading people, I don't think I would have made every correct choice. Lots of these missions need a couple playthroughs to perfect and even then, help online was needed here and there.

The story keeps you wanting more as it avoids the start-from-the-bottom and work to-the-top format. Later missions deal with an arson of all things instead of a Mob Mafia Mastermind like you may predict although the game has that too)

It's worth checking out
  33. Dec 16, 2011
    Anyone else feel like they're actually within the game? Especially with the Dahlia Murders. This is the climax of the game. I'm not saying the rest is awful, it isn't, but this was a jewel.
  34. Jun 20, 2011
    L.A. Noire shouldn't be confused for a Rockstar game, because it is a Team Bondi game. The concept is something entirely new, and it comes close to Heavy Rain in bringing movies and gaming closer together. Playing as a detective is a lot of fun, and L.A. Noire is probably the best detective game I have ever played. If it wasn't for the music in the background indicating clues, which youL.A. Noire shouldn't be confused for a Rockstar game, because it is a Team Bondi game. The concept is something entirely new, and it comes close to Heavy Rain in bringing movies and gaming closer together. Playing as a detective is a lot of fun, and L.A. Noire is probably the best detective game I have ever played. If it wasn't for the music in the background indicating clues, which you can turn off, I felt I was honestly a cop searching for the next lead to solving the case. The story is excellent. Between the flashbacks, the newspapers and the main story, L.A. Noire tells the story not only of Cole Phelps, but of the corruption that plagued L.A at the time, and it all works together quite nicely. The action parts are fun as well, but the detective gameplay really shone though. The best feature of the game is their new technology that allows cameras to capture peoples expressions. It was essential to the interrogation parts I found, and I can't wait to see other games with this new budding technology. The sound, music, voice acting, and real acting for that matter all are perfect in my book. Team Bondi created a beautiful Los Angeles, but I was disappointed in how little to do. Sure, you can search for the film reels, visit landmarks and find newspapers, but not much more than that. The street crimes are repetitive and often times boring. The game was just overall very linear for being an open world game. Aside from that, L.A. Noire offers a lot of fun, and a game that everybody should experience for themselves. Expand
  35. Jul 1, 2011
    When I first saw L.A. Noire graphics, I was amazed by the facial animation. The work they have put in those techniques are just incredible. Letâ
  36. Nov 27, 2011
    This is one of the best games of the year. Everything about this game is perfect, but I have to give it a nine because there is no replay value at all. Once you beat everything, there is no reason to play the game again. I really cant wait to see what Rockstar does with this franchise in the future!
  37. Jun 14, 2011
    A game which changes so much within the video game industry, proving that you don't need to run around shooting everything to make a great game as well as the new facial animations setting the standard for all future games. However, It doesn't feel as action packed or the story as climactic as Red Dead Redemption's and so as a game, it cannot trump it! Eagerly awaiting on a sequel!!!
  38. Nov 16, 2012
    The feel of this game is great, you feel like you're in LA back in the '40s. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, the world looks as good as it can for consoles, and the MotionScan is some revolutionary technology, leading you to get fully immersed with the incredible acting the cast of L.A. Noire did. I think I love the game a bit more than I should simply because they used someThe feel of this game is great, you feel like you're in LA back in the '40s. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, the world looks as good as it can for consoles, and the MotionScan is some revolutionary technology, leading you to get fully immersed with the incredible acting the cast of L.A. Noire did. I think I love the game a bit more than I should simply because they used some characters from Mad Men and I love that show, haha. The story was great, made me cry, to be honest lol & the gameplay is fun, being a detective was a blast, reading peoples faces was tough at times and it couldn't have been done without MotionScan. The shooting is what you'd expect it to be from a Rockstar Game, similar to Red Dead Redemption. Team Bondi did a superb job with this game whilst giving it a touch of Rockstars greatness, I highly recommend this title. Expand
  39. May 20, 2011
    I really enjoy this game, I think the negative reviews are coming from peple that have the wrong idea of what this game is about. It's not about killing people. It's not about shooting people up. It's not at all like Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption. If you approach this game realistically and play it realistically, actually acting like a cop and not trying to break the lawI really enjoy this game, I think the negative reviews are coming from peple that have the wrong idea of what this game is about. It's not about killing people. It's not about shooting people up. It's not at all like Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption. If you approach this game realistically and play it realistically, actually acting like a cop and not trying to break the law yourself, then it's an amazing game. You need to play this game right or you won't enjoy it. Expand
  40. Sep 24, 2011
    Alot of negative reviews on this one. People need to get it in their big fat skulls that this game is not I repeat not a sandbox game its obvious that the people who hated on this game are fans of the GTA games and Red Dead redemption and expected another one of those games out of it just because it had a R* logo on it. I can't believe how narrow minded people are nowadays that they can'tAlot of negative reviews on this one. People need to get it in their big fat skulls that this game is not I repeat not a sandbox game its obvious that the people who hated on this game are fans of the GTA games and Red Dead redemption and expected another one of those games out of it just because it had a R* logo on it. I can't believe how narrow minded people are nowadays that they can't distinguish between a developer and a publisher. R* is not the developer it is the publisher Team Bondi is the developer they are the same company that made the Getaway game series last gen. And all the people who are saying that you can't do alot of things in this game it is because it is not a Sandbox game. This game is detective, crime investigation and interactive movie kind of a game the only other game that can actually be compared to it is Heavy rain the only difference is that this game gives you more freedom. As a huge fan of the detective and crime investigation having watched all these kind of shows on TV I really liked this game. All the cases are fun and have a really good and well detailed background. The cases are divided into a number of different segments in some segments you have to find clues, some segments are foot and vehicle chase sequences, gun fighting segments and the best one of them all the interrogations. The interrogations are really well done you ask someone a question and you have to tell if they are telling the truth, lying to you (by using evidence) or you can doubt on them and you can do this while looking at all the evidence you found and noted in your diary these segments are all really fantastic specially for us detective fans and your interrogations will change the segments that will play out later on in the cases, the superb acting by the cast during interrogations also adds alot of them. The chase sequences are also fun and well done. The gun fighting in the game however can get repetitive and dull at times and is not nearly as epic and fun as you see in shooters and games like GTA and RDR but they are still satisfying. The cases can get repetitive though so I would not recommend doing more than 2 cases at the time so that you can get as much fun as you can out of this game. I am a little disappointed however that some cases are really waay to short and leave alot to be desired and I also just wish that there were more cases in the actual game. The game's story which is told through a series of flash back scenes telling you more about your main characters is also very well written and interesting. The game also looks fantastic quite possibly one of the best looking games on the 360 the facial animations are super realistic, the environments are just breath taking and the animations are also very well done. The voice acting/acting is also great and realistic specially during the interrogations. The game also has a bunch of sidequests but they are far less than you would see in a GTA game or a Sandbox game, there are 40 side missions while they are fun, some of them can get repetitive and most are too short. Along with that there are landmarks and vehicles to discover and unlock but this can get boring after a while. However another problem with the game is that it is on 3 discs on the 360 the problem is not that you have to get up mid game and swap discs the problem is that if one disc gets messed up you have to buy all 3 all over again and considering how high the price is that is a really big problem. Thats why I would recommend the Ps3 version as its only on one disc and has slightly better graphics. The music in this game really suits the time period the game is set in and also suites the environments. Overall I would say L.A Noire is a great game which could have been even better if it wasn't for a few flaws. If you are a fan of the detective genre, like games which are like interactive movies and are looking for a different and unique experience when you play a game than you should definitely get L.A Noire however if you are expecting a sandbox game like GTA or Red Dead than this game is not for you. 8.5/10 Expand
  41. Nov 7, 2012
    The reason I give L.A Noire a 10 is because it goes where no game has ventured before and it does it well. More in depth though the storyline is superb and well written. The cases themselves are well done and I feel as if each case is as important as the last. The protagonist is disappointing the only time the protagonist gets any depth is near the end of the game. From a technicalThe reason I give L.A Noire a 10 is because it goes where no game has ventured before and it does it well. More in depth though the storyline is superb and well written. The cases themselves are well done and I feel as if each case is as important as the last. The protagonist is disappointing the only time the protagonist gets any depth is near the end of the game. From a technical standpoint the game is a marvel, not a single glitch in my playthrough and the motionscan is remarkable. The shootouts are fun, the cover system is simple but its still good the car and foot chases are always fun. So in short L.A Noire is not your typical game, it makes you think and it does something new, definitely a great buy. Expand
  42. Jun 30, 2011
    Rockstar and Team Bondai emerge victorious in this call to arms for 1940's lifestyles and crime the way it was meant to be, dirty, dastardly, and down to earth.
    L.A. Noire is not like anything you have ever played, first of all. It is one of the finest games I've played this generation. It is not anything like what some are comparing to Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead. This is a beast of its own nature. The game begins in post World War II 1940's in Los Angeles, California (*duh*). You take on the role of police officer Cole Phelps, who recently finished a tour in Okinawa. Cole Phelps is exactly what you would expect out of a police officer, he is a true down to the bones good guy. His actions show love for his job, and the citizens around him, and while some may call him dull or boring, its just the way he must act on the job. He later in the story, unravels into a deeper and wiser character who we can almost relate to. Overall he is unlike any other Rockstar character out there, seeing as he is a complete opposite from GTA characters.
    From then on you will be able to explore the open world sandbox of 1940's Los Angeles, a world that has been fully and beautifully recreated to the slightest detail. If you are however, expecting a Grand Theft Auto does noir will be extremely disappointed, that's not the point of this game, and not what it was trying to do from the beginning. What it is trying to nail however, it nails perfectly, right down to the little details. From the incredible facial expressions, to the backdrop from gunplay and more to narrative, everything about LA Noire is simply to be marveled at because, well, it is done so good. The narrative in LA Noire can be summed up as marvelous, dark, gritty, and mature. It will take unexpected twists and turns along the way that will lead you gasping and grinning.
    The gameplay is incredible, the highlights being the incredibly revolutionary interrogations that will leave you cheering everytime you get a question correct. Interrogating suspects is a tricky and hard task, because you really do have to be able to use some true detective work and check your suspect's body language. It really goes to show Rockstar's attention to detail. The rest of the game goes into clue solving (where the vibrations and sounds can be taken off for a more realistic experience), freeroaming, and action sequences that range from car chases, foot chases, or close quarters shootouts similiar tol RDR or GTA. Simply put the gameplay is perfect.
    The techinal aspects of LA Noire are astounding. The soundtrack features all the contemparies of 1940''s music in general and for music aficionados will surprise and please. The voice acting and new motion technology have to be the best yet in a game, and a staple for the genre to come. Top that with a beautiful, living, breathing world and all around impressive visuals, LA Noire is a fantastic game, and a long one at that clocking in at around 25 hours if one does everything they can. In the end LA Noire is a game about story and detective work, if you are not here expecting those things, go somewhere else because you won't like what you see and what you get. LA Noire is exactly what it set out to be, a narrative driven, technological advancemant, and no less than the next step for Rockstar Games.
  43. May 17, 2011
    This is a game that you will not want to miss. The story is one of the greatest i have ever come across, the gameplay is fantastic, and the replay ability is instant. This more than matches up with last years RDR. What will Rockstar do next. That's the beauty of it.
  44. Jun 3, 2011
    I love Rockstar games, I loved Gta IV, I loved RDR. but L.A. Noire is just an ok game, its brilliant what Rockstar tried to do but the first part of the game I was bored the homicide disc was brilliant then th rest of the game was ok. I don't understand why they didn't have stranger missions, that was one of the best parts of RDR. This was a good attempt at what could have been a brilliant game.
  45. May 18, 2011
    L.A. Noire is another Rockstar victory. If you are a fan of Red Dead Redemption and the Grand Theft Auto series, you will see the influences here. If you have played Mafia II and you liked it, Rockstar much improved on that concept and gameplay feel and expanded it with wide open world maps and outstanding sound and graphics. Marry all of this with a stats system that tracks your gameL.A. Noire is another Rockstar victory. If you are a fan of Red Dead Redemption and the Grand Theft Auto series, you will see the influences here. If you have played Mafia II and you liked it, Rockstar much improved on that concept and gameplay feel and expanded it with wide open world maps and outstanding sound and graphics. Marry all of this with a stats system that tracks your game achievements as well as Call of Duty and you will find a very enjoyable complete game. I find that this game is fun to play with another person as well discussing all of the clues and learning interrogation techniques. This game will be up for game of the year for sure. Congratulations Rockstar, thanks for giving us such a great experience and making a game that will take longer than a few hours to complete. Expand
  46. Aug 7, 2011
    For the first 10 hours or so, I was convinced that L. A. Noire was about to become my favorite game of all time. The amazing scripting, graphics, and thought-provoking gameplay mixed with intense chases and shootouts felt like the perfect combination of elements had finally melded together into one perfect videogame. Then the second half rolls around, another 10 hours or so, and suddenlyFor the first 10 hours or so, I was convinced that L. A. Noire was about to become my favorite game of all time. The amazing scripting, graphics, and thought-provoking gameplay mixed with intense chases and shootouts felt like the perfect combination of elements had finally melded together into one perfect videogame. Then the second half rolls around, another 10 hours or so, and suddenly I'm wondering if I'm even playing the same game. The storyline starts jumping erratically, as if they simply had no idea what direction to take the main character, which is worsened by the fact that your main character actually changes for the last few hours of the game (during which you are limited to campaign missions and unable to explore the surrounding areas). By the end, I found myself wishing that the actual conclusion to the campaign had been at the end of the second act, with the third act cut out all together. It doesn't necessarily ruin the game, but the second half also had me noticing repetition that I hadn't been noticing when first playing. The actual gameplay has little variety and the case investigations feel like the have no impact on the story, so as far as long-term entertainment goes this might not be the best investment. I still think it's worth playing though, if for nothing else then at least to see the amazing graphics at work (seriously, it's creepy sometimes). It certainly sated my desire for an L.A. Confidential-style videogame, and while not as straightforward or as action-packed as something like Mafia II or GTA IV it can still be intense and exciting. Just don't expect to put it on your Top 10 list. Expand
  47. May 18, 2011
    Please note: my score represents the actual quality of the game--great, but not perfect. I've played games better than this one, quite recently.

That said, this game is a quantum leap forward for gaming. It's a bold step that doesn't always work, but it does SOMETHING. The facial animation and blending of open-world and linear, driven gameplay are fantastic and new, and the story it tells is excellent for that. Suffice to say--you need to play this game.
  48. Jun 23, 2011
    Now let me begin this, L.A Noire is one of the best game out there. Imagine if you are a detective and you want to solve crimes. You got yourself this game. You will start thinking that this is a rip-off GTA. Wrong. This is a true revolutionary. It is basically like a tree. It connects from one thing to another depending on how do you solve the case. The game also has RPG elements. LikeNow let me begin this, L.A Noire is one of the best game out there. Imagine if you are a detective and you want to solve crimes. You got yourself this game. You will start thinking that this is a rip-off GTA. Wrong. This is a true revolutionary. It is basically like a tree. It connects from one thing to another depending on how do you solve the case. The game also has RPG elements. Like the experience, dialogue choices, and more.

The graphics is very good. It uses a great technology motion capture tools stuff that I don't have any idea how it worked. It is revolutionary. A new thing on a game. The shooting mechanic works well, the AI is not stupid at all, and the environment looks detailed. The story is awesome and I have nothing again to say with this game. The final score is actually [ 11 ] out of 10. Revolutionary. And a MUST-BUY
  49. Jan 20, 2013
    Graphics: 8/10 Story: 8/10 Gameplay: 7/10 Voice Acting: 8/10 Soundtrack: 7/10 Enjoyment: 9/10 =
    7.8 (Great)
    L.A Noire is a flamin' amazing game. If you haven't already buy it! All 3 disks on Xbox keep you entertained for hours and may even drag you into the story like it did to me.
  50. Nov 5, 2013
    L.A. Noire was one of the best games I have ever played. Map was huge and they made it so realistic. Story was amazing, so in depth. Great experience.
  51. May 27, 2012
    What I don't like: I'd loved to see a little bit of more transcendence of my actions. The weird camera moving system when you drive. Helping buttons are shown during the whole game, which makes decreasing the challenge's difficulty. I missed a cooperative mode, you always have a single companion with you. / What like: Very accurate and credible weapon's names. Very well documented, it'sWhat I don't like: I'd loved to see a little bit of more transcendence of my actions. The weird camera moving system when you drive. Helping buttons are shown during the whole game, which makes decreasing the challenge's difficulty. I missed a cooperative mode, you always have a single companion with you. / What like: Very accurate and credible weapon's names. Very well documented, it's clearly visible that the creators made a great compilation of the information needed. The game's difficulty is challenging, specially at the interrogatories. / Conclusion: This is the best game I've tried from this company, just incredible, it makes you experiment a direct connection with the main character. Expand
  52. Jan 29, 2015
    It’s really hard to think of a game that has done something similar to L.A. Noire. It’s not just the fact that the player has at his/her hand the availability of a 1940s Los Angeles sandbox, but the fact that it’s never been this intriguing to play as a detective and well enough love it.

Set in 1947, the player plays as Cole Phelps, a former war hero who rises and shines through the ranks of the LAPD. As a detective, Phelps will take charge of several exciting cases, each revealing new grounds to the overall plot, only to find that his past will play quite the role in this story, and the line that divides good and evil is quite blurred.

The game does a grand job progressing the story, giving good background and development to every character the player meets, including Phelps himself. It is safe to say that not one moment throughout the game does a feeling of dullness come to mind. Each case the player is presented with is a fresh and exciting segment. This is by no means a Disney kind of story, so do not expect a cliché at the end. But that’s a good thing, right? It is, however, a very intriguing and grasping experience.

Setting presentation is above expectations. The 1940s atmosphere is immersive and grand. The urban environment is very detailed. The graphics in this game are quite beautiful. It would be a crime not to mention L.A. Noire’s character dialogue, which is to say at the very least – superb. The amazing performances are enhanced by L.A. Noire’s amazing face-capturing technology. No game, even at this point in 2013 has yet captured the detail facial expressions in L.A. Noire have. Thanks to this, the characters feel alive, they feel like real people.

Gameplay, for the most part, involves the usual sandbox mechanics. There’s the common shootout and chase side missions which are ever fun (and there are 40 of these missions throughout the L.A. area), but when it comes to the detective part of the game, L.A. Noire gets quite peculiar and unique. When asking a question, the player is faced with three options: Truth, Doubt, or Lie. In a detective game, it’s expected to talk to people in order to solve cases, and it is this why the face-capturing technology used in this game is key to the overall experience. Good part of the overall game involves the player interacting with many, many characters. The player must interview people and use clues in order to get to the bottom of things, and the way a character’s face looks and reacts with each answer they give is essential for the player to conclude whether the interviewee is lying or not. Every case presents several scenarios where Phelps finds clues. Clues give context to what’s going on, and the player is expected to use these clues during interviews to further help prove when somebody is lying. It’s very gratifying to get through a list of questions correctly, getting the truth out of a suspect without missing one question, yet a feeling of guilt can present itself every time the player misses good judgment upon their interviewee. And that’s the beauty of L.A. Noire. Interviewing people does not feel like a chore. It’s fun and exciting. The sandbox elements, which cover exploration, collection items, side quests involving police work, and cars (cars are so authentic to the period and they are cool) are well made and serve to the immersion of the game.

Given the concept of the game, which involves interacting with people a lot, one would expect for it to have RPG elements. The story, however, never changes. The player will get the same ending regardless of how you judge your suspects. It’s a shame, really, but by no means makes the game bad. Each case works as an individual “mission”, and the way the player gets through it, i.e. – getting all the clues, catching the right suspect, getting questions right, will ultimately show how well you performed at the end of the case. This performance is judged by stars. Do a great job and you’ll be awarded 5 stars, do poorly and you’ll earn as low as one star. This gameplay concept gives great replay value giving the player good reason to go back and perform better in a case after completing the game. That’s another plus, if the player wishes to play a specific case, he/she only has to select it from a list of cases – no need to start over from the beginning.

L.A. Noire is a unique experience. Characters are amazing, story is solid and interesting, and the setting and atmosphere make up for an awesome experience. Through a regular play-through, the experience can be as long as 25 hours, and thanks to the great variety in characters as well as cases, it will not feel like 25 hours in the end. It will leave behind a feeling of wanting more, and that’s a great thing to say about a game. There are instances where the player is presented with 6-8 hour games and somehow, halfway through the game, it becomes tiring just getting through it. But not L.A. Noire. This game does a great job keeping the player interested, and will, no doubt, bring him/her back to play it again.
  53. May 17, 2011
    A great game with a good story. The story could use some patching up for continuity, and the gameplay can get a little dull. The main rip against this game is the restriction put on the player. Anyone familiar with GTA/RDR will feel a bit taken aback at what you can't do. However, once you get the typical Rockstar image out of your mind, you're left with a very original, fun, andA great game with a good story. The story could use some patching up for continuity, and the gameplay can get a little dull. The main rip against this game is the restriction put on the player. Anyone familiar with GTA/RDR will feel a bit taken aback at what you can't do. However, once you get the typical Rockstar image out of your mind, you're left with a very original, fun, and refreshing experience. It's not perfect, but it is different, and it's definitely fun. Expand
  54. May 23, 2011
    First of all let me say, this game is not everyone's cup of tea, its marmite, you either love it or hate it, this game is not a rockstar typical genre GTA game, and the phrase "GTA but in the 1940's" does not cut it, you play the other side a cop for a change, now this wont seem glamorous and at times it can be damn right boring, but cop work is, driving from location to location is brokenFirst of all let me say, this game is not everyone's cup of tea, its marmite, you either love it or hate it, this game is not a rockstar typical genre GTA game, and the phrase "GTA but in the 1940's" does not cut it, you play the other side a cop for a change, now this wont seem glamorous and at times it can be damn right boring, but cop work is, driving from location to location is broken up by emergency calls over the radio which you can choose to ignore, but are quite fun, running up to a crime " and busting some caps" to break the monotony of the actual story or cases is quite entertaining. you can skip driving by letting your partner drive which allows a short loading screen.

The driving is good, holding handbrakes around corners is especially fun in old cars, and flying over downhill bumps is especially fun when you get some good clearance! The crime investigation is good, with some clues there to throw you off, now don't get me wrong, there is alot of junk to be found at crime scenes, but in lies the fun deciding on whether items are relevant or not, Cole ( the main character) will often say things as to whether they pertain to the investigation or not to help you along. initially the interview questions are guided along at the start of the game as a running "tutorial" but this fades out over time, leaving you to make your own decisions on questions.

The facial expressions are some what confusing first off the bat, as they are glaringly obvious, but become more subtle as you move on, for example what might be a blindingly obvious lie at the start of the game, might be a twitch of the mouth in the middle of the game. you will get used to spotting these as you progress. I recommend playing this game with no distractions, or locking your bedroom door if you do, as you need to watch interactions with the characters very closely as a lie or twitch or a scratch of the head (yes a scratch) will not appear twice, and seeing this will mean the difference between getting more detail on the case or suspect and getting the wrong question. Clues and questions all revolve around a chime and music to allow you to find clues, and tell you whether the question you asked was correct, although initially confusing, you will get used to the music, allowing you to know whether you were correct or not.

This game is a great game all in all. If your looking for a criminal shooter a GTA opposite this is not it, if your looking for a gritty, unusual game full of story and character development then this is it. It is not a perfect game, it isn't meant to be, getting a case wrong can leave you wondering what else was there to find, it can leave you wanting to go back and try another approach but this is what is interesting about the game, leaving you sensing that you could of caught that criminal if you'd have pushed that bit harder or complete opposite, if you'd have tried a softer approach with the woman, would she have given it up to you. This game really puts you in the shoes of a detective.
  55. May 23, 2011
    I've just completed this game, and it is exceptional. The look of this game is amazing, beautiful graphics and wonderful facial animations, most of all though i like the clever use of lighting in this game, it really feels like a 'noir' inspired game. The attention to detail is amazing and every part of post WWII LA is perfectly recreated. The story is excellent and the twist at the endI've just completed this game, and it is exceptional. The look of this game is amazing, beautiful graphics and wonderful facial animations, most of all though i like the clever use of lighting in this game, it really feels like a 'noir' inspired game. The attention to detail is amazing and every part of post WWII LA is perfectly recreated. The story is excellent and the twist at the end certainly shocked me. Gameplay is good, but is pretty much identical to GTA 4, which is not a bad thing. The only couple of points that im disappointed with are, firstly the driving, which could use a lot of tweaking. It took me quite a while to get use to, so i mainly just let my partner drive, and also the outcome of your own personal decisions - whatever option use choose to take, the outcome is the same each time. You'll understand me when you play this game. It's not enough of an issue though to stop me giving this a 10. Brilliant game.. Expand
  56. May 17, 2011
    +Graphics/sound +Story -Control -Gameplay //////// +Amazing visuals, SFX, music and voice overs. +Story and characters really draw you in -Same GTA controls -Lacks the free roaming fun of GTA or even RDR -Poor saving system -Some frame rate issues //////// I will start off by saying I have always been a big Rockstar fan, from the top down GTA to Red Dead Redemption. So naturally I had very+Graphics/sound +Story -Control -Gameplay //////// +Amazing visuals, SFX, music and voice overs. +Story and characters really draw you in -Same GTA controls -Lacks the free roaming fun of GTA or even RDR -Poor saving system -Some frame rate issues //////// I will start off by saying I have always been a big Rockstar fan, from the top down GTA to Red Dead Redemption. So naturally I had very high hopes for LA Noire. Going into Noire one should expect certain restraints from what they have experienced in past Rockstar titles (setting, time, being for the other side of the law). That being said, something is really lost being a cop instead of a criminal. Gone are the killing sprees of GTA, but you can still take whichever car you want. Expect the same GTA style chunky controls for walking, fighting and driving. My biggest issue with the game is the saving system. Imagine playing GTA or Fallout 3 from start to end of a mission without saving. When I play games I have to get the best possible outcome every time, so this meant having to redo entire cases over just to get correct questions at the end. Seriously, you can only auto save, no save slots, no going home to save, only when the games wants to save. I even had to redo missions just because of auto save confusion. I have many problems with this game, but I still am having some fun with it. Ultimately, it's a step back from GTA/RDR, with better graphics. If you're hoping for GTA craziness, you will be very disappointed. If you're hoping for a nice story with some puzzles in between, here you go. Expand
  57. May 17, 2011
    I just bought this game at the midnight release and after 5 hours I beat it. I wont give any spoilers but this game sure is a beauty. The characters and story are spectaculor the songs building styles and cars capture that generation. This game is easily worth the price of admission. It is a bit short though for such a hyped game but in all the hype was well justified.
  58. May 29, 2011
    To start off, this game is easily one of the most surprising games to come out in a long time. Is it good? Better, its GREAT. But that doesn't make it immune to a few problems.
    PROS:
    PROS:
    Story - The story is fantastic. You are Cole Phelps, a war veteran, trying to bring justice and control to a city that is beginning to burst with fame and crime. The story is mature and does put in its quips of humor here and there. However, the cases you follow definitely have a serious tone to them and each and every crime you come across gives new challenges and rewards you for interrogating and investigating appropriately to how well you handled a situation.
    Graphics:
    Facial animations are superbly done well and when you think you have learned all the tricks of when someone is lying or doubting you, then begins the whole new area that throws you off your feet and you are cornered in a room in which you can't discover a lie.
    Music - A very classy soundtrack that fits the territory well. Makes the atmosphere relateable that you can relax into the plot.

CONS:
    Graphics: While yes, the facial animation is well done, if you were to compare graphics to other games, it would make LA Noire low on that list. It is similar to GTA and while yes, for 2011, the graphics are good, they aren't enough to write home about.
    Replay Value - Once you beat the cases, the sense of mystery and danger is gone, and you know where to look for clues. However, it is fun to see how perfect of a score you can get if you try hard enough [which isn't easy even with a 2nd play through].
    More Dark than Noire - For something to be called Noire, good guys can't be as good as they appear to be and bad guys need to be either evil or borderline understandable [Watch Memento, LA Confidential]. It is still a dark and shadowy world in which you will enter with femme fatales and dark streets, but I felt it being more dark and detective opposed to being part of the noir genre. but that's is really not a complaint, mainly because it is still a great atmosphere and great game.
    Overall? Get this game if you enjoy thinking and playing in the roles of cops who are trying to save a city from a menace. Don't get this game if you are too anal about everything and think COD plots are the best thing on earth.
  59. Dec 13, 2011
    L.A. Noire would be great if it were'nt for its repetitive nature , but it still manages to be unique in its own way . A little more variety and this could very well have been a Game of the Year contender but nevertheless , if you're looking for challenging investigations , excellent attention to detail , a " slow to kick into high gear " yet memorable story , then L.A. Noire is the game for you .
  60. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the most genuine and innovative games of this generation. Great atmopshere, great story, great gameplay and the facial animation is truly next gen... This is a masterpiece... One of the best games ever...
  61. Mar 29, 2014
    GOOD: Great story showing the police career and WWII flashbacks from the protagonist, Cole Phelps; Plays out like a movie; Not one bad performance from any of the actors(not voice actors, real actors); Innovative crime scene and interrogation mechanics; Cases show stuff that people would actually do to each other in real life(especially Homicide which is brutal); If you struggle on a case,GOOD: Great story showing the police career and WWII flashbacks from the protagonist, Cole Phelps; Plays out like a movie; Not one bad performance from any of the actors(not voice actors, real actors); Innovative crime scene and interrogation mechanics; Cases show stuff that people would actually do to each other in real life(especially Homicide which is brutal); If you struggle on a case, you can ask your partner for help; If you have online, you can use intuition points to help you(use wisely because, the points are limited); If you mess up on a case, you can replay it to do better which would add a lot more time for you to have fun playing this; Fun gun play and brawls; Team Bondi did a good job making the game a near exact depiction of LA in the 1940's; All of the cars were real and actual cars from real companies; Over 90 cars to collect; Fun car chases; Good soundtrack; Funny Mad Men cameos that made me smile, even from the protagonist in the game, Aaron Staton; street crimes were optional

BAD: Boring street crimes; some of the desks like Traffic and Ad Vice were too short; The Ad Vice was inappropriately cut off right when you were about to finish; needed to have fun side activities(bowling would have been perfect as a side activity since the cops go there every week); The game ends rather abruptly(needed to be a little bit longer)

FINAL VERDICT: This game barely misses a 10/10, so it will end up as a 9/10. Needed to add side activities and make more cases to seal a 10/10. Despite the problems, it is one of the best games I have ever played and the most innovative out of all. I say this game is an ALL TIME LEGEND. Just on this game alone, there is something I have to say about Team Bondi: DEVELOPED AS A LEGEND, DIED AS A LEGEND, AND RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD TO DEVELOP ONCE MORE! That's right, Team Bondi is back and developing a game that is planned to come out in 2015 called, Whore Of The Orient, I cannot wait. Play this game immediately if you haven't already, especially if you are a fan of detective stories.
  62. Jan 1, 2015
    This game is a master piece in every way, from its detective noir style story to its shootout moments, to its tense and jazz style music. Its hard to imagine you won't like this game. You play as Cole Phelps a new detective proving yourself to the force. While dealing with the real world, you learn about Phelps cold past. Overall a solid game.
  63. May 29, 2011
    Any game which references Shelley and Hamlet is a-okay in my book. This is an unique experience, and will sure leave many people expecting a GTA in Noir-style or even a Red Dead Redemption-styled game cold. This is a new step in the direction of video-game-to-movie-integration, I saw one commentator say that this is not so, that it is definitely a video-game, and I don't know what thatAny game which references Shelley and Hamlet is a-okay in my book. This is an unique experience, and will sure leave many people expecting a GTA in Noir-style or even a Red Dead Redemption-styled game cold. This is a new step in the direction of video-game-to-movie-integration, I saw one commentator say that this is not so, that it is definitely a video-game, and I don't know what that person was talking about; It feels and looks like a movie, where kinetic energy is based more on story and character development rather than action. The game-play is a bit awkward however, and there are minor incongruities in the flow of action when the police captain will yell at you while in the next scene praise you. These are only minor complaints but are also important since the game strives for such heights. In ambition it is definitely a 10, but in execution it is more of an 8, and so the final will have to be 9. I can't comment on the story, since I'm not completely done, but it does a great job of pulling you into, maybe not such a realistic world, as much as an world of Los Angeles 40's noir which thrives on the mystique of LA folklore. Expand
  64. May 20, 2011
    Please, if you have any sanity, do not listen to any negative reviews; LA Noire has come under a small attack of trolls who try to trick you into not purchasing good games, as seen by Portal 2's reviews. Any serious reviews that are displeased by this game, which is unlikely, are simply done by idiots and children. This game takes many steps forward from your casual game by introducingPlease, if you have any sanity, do not listen to any negative reviews; LA Noire has come under a small attack of trolls who try to trick you into not purchasing good games, as seen by Portal 2's reviews. Any serious reviews that are displeased by this game, which is unlikely, are simply done by idiots and children. This game takes many steps forward from your casual game by introducing something unheard of by angsty teenagers everywhere-- more story than there is combat! Yes, I'm sure all of you short-witted and impatient 12-year-olds out there are angered by this, but do not worry, if you have ever played an actual videogame in your life besides Call of Duty, then you will probably love LA Noire. Expand
  65. May 17, 2011
    The most beautifully crafted game since Heavy Rain, an immediate Game of the Year contender and the most ambitious title Rockstar have ever produced. So far this year it is equal only to Portal 2 in terms of ground-breaking game mechanics and it's sheer brilliance.
  66. May 22, 2011
    This game is very solid. I don't normally go for Rockstar's stuff, because it's usually a mashup of poorly executed gameplay mechanics, but the interrogation system is really good and is a strong enough mechanic to carry the game. The story and acting are both competent. The driving and shooting mechanics are kinda spotty, and a somewhat short campaign that I wouldn't care to replayThis game is very solid. I don't normally go for Rockstar's stuff, because it's usually a mashup of poorly executed gameplay mechanics, but the interrogation system is really good and is a strong enough mechanic to carry the game. The story and acting are both competent. The driving and shooting mechanics are kinda spotty, and a somewhat short campaign that I wouldn't care to replay combine to drop this game to a 9. Expand
  67. Mar 6, 2012
    The depth and uniqueness that each case possess makes you feel like you're really part of the LAPD. Sure, you don't always have access to a gun, but in all honestly, it is not even necessary. It was exciting and interesting playing the "good guy" rather than the opposite, like in other "Rockstar" games.
  68. Mar 11, 2012
    LA Noire takes face animation to a whole new level. LA Noire is based on true crimes that were committed in LA. You play as Cole Phelps a World War II vet searching for justice in LA. The only problem with the game is that there is not much replay involved. The only replay is you can approach different situations different ways. For example; One time you may say someone is telling theLA Noire takes face animation to a whole new level. LA Noire is based on true crimes that were committed in LA. You play as Cole Phelps a World War II vet searching for justice in LA. The only problem with the game is that there is not much replay involved. The only replay is you can approach different situations different ways. For example; One time you may say someone is telling the truth, that may be right or wrong, another time you can say they are lying. Ever decision you make goes through the mission/case differently, but by the end the result in the case is usually the same unless you have a choice on who to charge, or you compleatly screw up the case and things don't really make sense at all. The VERDICT: LA Noire is a great first time play through. Things do get repetitive, but other then that this game is one of my favorites. I'm someone who always pretends to be the cop driving around in GTA, so this game fit my needs pretty well. Expand
  69. Dec 11, 2014
    This game is a must play for anyone who likes an open world game, because this is that. But it's also so much more. It's a visually stunning, brilliantly written story that is matched only by the risk they took that succeeded more often than not. Admittedly not for everyone, it is worth a trial run thru to check out.
  70. May 22, 2011
    This game is amazing! I've seen people complaining about the length and the lack of multiplayer but it doesn't need it. And as for the length 25 hours+ is a long game. Just don't go into it expecting the mindless violence of games such as GTA and Saints row and you'll enjoy it.
  71. May 17, 2011
    This is the next level for video game graphics. Hopefully this style becomes the standard for future games. Fun, thought provoking, and entertaining. Everything a great game should be.
  72. Jun 11, 2012
    This game does things that are quite innovative and frankly it should be something that changes how games are done in the future. The facial motion capture, and the use of real actors makes the game a classic. There's actually quite a bit to do in the game besides the cases, so it never gets boring. The realism of the cars, and the settings are so spot on, its just amazing. There's aThis game does things that are quite innovative and frankly it should be something that changes how games are done in the future. The facial motion capture, and the use of real actors makes the game a classic. There's actually quite a bit to do in the game besides the cases, so it never gets boring. The realism of the cars, and the settings are so spot on, its just amazing. There's a point in the game (about 3 quarters in I guess), where the flashbacks is done so well, its as good as a great movie. Suddenly you have a character is more human and interesting than any in gaming history. After you figure out how to interrogate, that almost becomes the best part. Gathering evidence also gets more fun since you start to realize how to close a case. And when you want something else to do, you can run around find a hidden vehicle, or film real. Great fun and worth replaying. Expand
  73. Jun 7, 2011
    L.A Noire is a very innovative game which i commend Rockstar and Team Bondi for.It's a cross between Heavy Rain and GTA set in 1940's los angeles with a really immersive storyline which keeps you hooked.You just can't wait to get investigating the next case.Sure the game does get repetitive in terms of investigating cases,and it has the gameplay mechanics of GTA,but i still find myselfL.A Noire is a very innovative game which i commend Rockstar and Team Bondi for.It's a cross between Heavy Rain and GTA set in 1940's los angeles with a really immersive storyline which keeps you hooked.You just can't wait to get investigating the next case.Sure the game does get repetitive in terms of investigating cases,and it has the gameplay mechanics of GTA,but i still find myself completely hooked.The facial expressions are amazing and motionscan sets a new standard in graphics.The acting in the game is top notch and it's great fun carrying out interrogations and looking for clues during investigations.I'm not going to say this game is perfect,but i admire Rockstar and Bondi for taking a risk on this title.The game could do with a touch more variety in terms of gameplay,but the foundations are there to build a sequel which i would have no hesitation in purchasing.And some people need to stop comapring it to GTA,sure there are elements of it ,but this isn't GTA it's L.A Noire. Expand
  74. Jun 17, 2011
    I must say, there isn't a game out there quite like this. Remember "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" Take that, and multiply the detective work by x100. Every fine detail of the world is a clue to Cole Phelps's task to solve the case. The phenomenal use of motion capture technology makes interrogations unique, interesting and makes you focus hard on the quirks of a character's faceI must say, there isn't a game out there quite like this. Remember "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" Take that, and multiply the detective work by x100. Every fine detail of the world is a clue to Cole Phelps's task to solve the case. The phenomenal use of motion capture technology makes interrogations unique, interesting and makes you focus hard on the quirks of a character's face to see if they are lying or telling the truth. There is no poor performances in the game either. Each and every actor does a phenomenal job, not one actor is bad at doing his or her performance and they are 100% believable in every sense of the word. Why does it get an 8 though. Driving around is tedious and it's honestly pretty weird (though the chases are nice) and the shooting is... 'meh' at best. Other than that, a must buy. You're getting your money's worth with the amount of hours it takes to beat this title. Expand
  75. Sep 2, 2013
    9/10. The negative reviews are correct; the game is a lot like a movie that you get to somewhat be a part of, and the action scenes are very underwhelming.

However, considering I'm so interested in the post-war 1940s era, I would buy the game simply for the driving-around-in-1940s-LA aspect. It has solid character development, and the facial animation technology was fantastic. In my opinion, L.A. Noire is like a very good movie that you also get to be involved with, which is totally fine by me.

The story was nice, the way they portrayed Los Angeles was fantastic, and overall I enjoyed this game a great deal.
  76. May 17, 2011
    It can all really be said in about three words: Fun and Fresh. It is definitely fans for an adventure type game, with some nods to the gun-play of Rockstar games before. I love it and, personally, I feel exhilarated when I nail someone with evidence and despair when my witnesses clam up. Yes it may seem repetitive chasing after crooks and collecting clues, but the fun is more in how youIt can all really be said in about three words: Fun and Fresh. It is definitely fans for an adventure type game, with some nods to the gun-play of Rockstar games before. I love it and, personally, I feel exhilarated when I nail someone with evidence and despair when my witnesses clam up. Yes it may seem repetitive chasing after crooks and collecting clues, but the fun is more in how you use the information to interrogate people. This is one that is at least worth a try, you may be pleasantly surprised (and if you don't like it I'm sure it will hold its value as a trade-in for a while). Expand
  77. Jun 1, 2011
    I'll start of by saying that this game is very different from other "sandbox" I'd go as far to not even call this game a sandbox game. The things you can do outside the main plot are very trivial, but fun for people who like achieving everything in games.

Keeping thins in mind, La Noire is a really well made game. The story is strong, and the use of professional actors really makes the plots believable. La Noire is a game for people who like games with a strong story like: " Heavy Rain, Mass Effect or basically any story driven RPG"
  78. Jun 10, 2011
    This game is like a long movie, just bring popcorn because, all the time you are just running or doing some slow things, started getting repetitive soon as started but the story is the nice thing here, and the graphics.
    Nice game, great story, gameplay so-so

It's worth a rent
  79. Jul 16, 2011
    Excellent game with strong story, excellent characters and voice acting. The "feel" is one of the best I have ever experienced in a video game.The only Drawback in my opinion is that I expected it to be a little longer by I don't mind because of its excellency. Can't wait for its sequel
  80. Nov 26, 2011
    While it lacked some replay value and interesting side missions, it were a very nice story with an interesting anti-hero and play style. And the facial expressions are awsome.
  81. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a Grand Theft Auto fan, I came to L.A. Noire expecting something much like GTA but in the past, I was disappointed for about an hour when I found out it was nothing like it, but kept playing, hour after hour, L.A. Noire made its way into my top 10 favorite games of all time, then it quickly became my #1 most favorite game of all time.
    Never did I think such innovation can come from a game in these times, because innovation and originality pretty much all died a long time ago, but this restored my faith.
    This game served me well in every aspect, it was fun, it was lengthy, it had an amazing story, it had good collectible that were actually fun to go around looking for.
    Now, for a 360 game that looks this good, I'm very surprised it didn't lag as much as most other games.
    Lots of other games that don't look as good as L.A. Noire lag like hell, L.A. Noire looks amazing and only lagged 2 times in my full playthrough, they were in MASSIVE shootouts, and the lag went away after 2 seconds the first time, and after 5 seconds the second time.
    Cole Phelps' death was incredibly sad, I literally felt bad when Cole died.
    Overall, this game is amazing, deserves a well earned 10/10.
  82. JET
    May 22, 2011
    This game is, in the words of Frank West, FANTASTIC! It has one of the best storys seen in games for a while, and the atmospere is simply amazing. The music and voice acting help this. Buy this game!!!
  83. May 17, 2011
    Fantastic game! I was up all night playing it. It is the cure for the common fps. If you don't enjoy this game it says a lot about your personality. Just because this isn't COD doesn't mean it isn't worth your time or attention.
  84. Jul 24, 2011
    There is a lot wrong and a lot right about L.A. Noire. First, the good.
    There is a lot wrong and a lot right about L.A. Noire. First, the good.
    The newly introduced motion capture on the people that you meet throughout the game is pretty incredible, and is certainly a revolutionary step in gaming. The dialogue is well done, and well acted, some of it even made me chuckle from time to time. The city is beautiful and feels immersive, it's fun to simply drive in one of the many incredible cars that are available to be driven around LA. The graphics are very good, which only strengthens the new face motion capture for a truly wonderful experience when walking around, searching for clues and talking to people.
    Unfortunately, this game gets tedious quite fast though. You will feel like you are doing the same thing over and over after every case, and there is a particular desk which has way too many similar cases. After about 2/3 of the game, it will feel more like a drag because the story is also rather forgettable and tedious. Your view of the main protagonist changes significantly and personally, I do not think that he should've been cast in such a bad light closer to 3/4 of the game. The last desk was especially boring, which also took a very strange turn rather abruptly and was also hindered by an attrocious ending. Regarding the actual gameplay, there are certainly some issues with the questioning. Because some actors overact, and some underact, you are sometimes left with quite an unfair judgement of deciding whether someone is lying or telling the truth. Also when presenting evidence to support your accusation, there are many times when picking something would've actually made sense in the context of the case, but did not hold true because there was no flexibility in presenting your evidence and the structure was rather linear, as is most of the game.
    Nevertheless, it is a decent game, and definitely one that needs to be tried out by everybody - though it is by no means FOR everybody to enjoy. Those who are expecting a GTA style game - look elsewhere. It is a mostly enjoyable, although quite linear experience, and feels more like a movie than a game. I would give the first half of the game a 9 and the second a 7, so overall I feel it deserves an 8.
  85. Dec 25, 2013
    Best game of 2011 hands down. It is absolutely stunning graphic wise, and has a gameplay like no other game. This game is almost as unique as heavy rain, which is my favorite game of all time. So many games which are released these days are not innovative and plain boring. This game is the most innovative game of the year and I have fallen in love wiht it. The suspense is incredible, tehBest game of 2011 hands down. It is absolutely stunning graphic wise, and has a gameplay like no other game. This game is almost as unique as heavy rain, which is my favorite game of all time. So many games which are released these days are not innovative and plain boring. This game is the most innovative game of the year and I have fallen in love wiht it. The suspense is incredible, teh interogations and the control that you have as a player over the criminals makes you feel powerful. If you want an innovative, exiting, different and engaging game then you must buy this masterpiece. Anyone who rates this badly simply does not have the emotional capacity to enjoy a masterpiece like this and are too used to playing call of duty to know any better. Expand
  86. Jan 2, 2014
    This game comes with 3 discs. The first was much better than I expected, a story about a soldier turned cop whose excellent detective work allowed him to rise through the ranks. The second disc was him at the height of his career, bent on catching a serial killer, and this disc was amazing. This game would be a 10 for me if the game ended with the capture of the main villian, 10 out of 10.This game comes with 3 discs. The first was much better than I expected, a story about a soldier turned cop whose excellent detective work allowed him to rise through the ranks. The second disc was him at the height of his career, bent on catching a serial killer, and this disc was amazing. This game would be a 10 for me if the game ended with the capture of the main villian, 10 out of 10. But then disc three started. First of all, Cole has an affair for literally no reason, and tbh, the subject of his wife wasnt even touched upon in the last two discs. So he gets demoted to arson, the dullest series of cases ive ever seen. Then you find out that stuff happened in the war that makes Cole feel guilty. And because of this, he pointlessly sacrifices himself at the end for a girl he doesnt even love. WTF rockstar??? Expand
  87. May 17, 2011
    This is another amazing game from Rockstar Games. Team Bondi did a great job with the development of this game as well as Rockstar. This game progressively gets better. It is a must have.
  88. Jun 7, 2011
    Pros:
    Voice-Acting, Storyline, Graphics, Gameplay (walking over the dead body, engaging with an interactive environment, ie sit at the bar or in a chair, & pick up a murder weapon to inspect it)
    Cons: Training Wheels should be an option instead of making it the entire Traffic desk case load, Glitches (Walls, people, & cars randomly appearing in a suspects apartment building room right on
    Pros:

Cons:
    Training Wheels should be an option instead of making it the entire Traffic desk case load, Glitches (Walls, people, & cars randomly appearing in a suspects apartment building room right on top of my F'n crime scene! Rockstar wtf? The driving aspect is good and bad depending on what car you drive.

Summary: I thought this was going to be open-ended? This is linear & it may be the most linear Rockstar game to date. If Rockstar adds a Felon option or a crooked cop into the game, like someone on the take who steals from the evidence room, commits blackmail , plants evidence, etc... it would open this beautiful recreation of 1940s LA to a lot more options & it would offer the player a lot more to explore instead of making it feel like the most beautiful cardboard cut out of a city that you've seen. It's like taking your first trip to New York City but you never leave the cab. Sure you may see everything & its convenient, but its nothing compared to running wild in the streets.
  89. Jun 14, 2011
    I've sat through some very interesting games in my life. Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Rock Band, The World Ends With You. The list goes on and on. But LA Noire, wow. LA Noire deserves to be on a list of it's own. Visually and technically, you will see one of the most impressive games of our generation. Musically and thematically, you will hear and feel one of the most impressive gamesI've sat through some very interesting games in my life. Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Rock Band, The World Ends With You. The list goes on and on. But LA Noire, wow. LA Noire deserves to be on a list of it's own. Visually and technically, you will see one of the most impressive games of our generation. Musically and thematically, you will hear and feel one of the most impressive games of your lifetime.

You, for the most part, play Cole Phelps, a decorated war hero turned beat cop then detective for the LAPD in the late 1940's. It's just after the end of World War 2, and we see a city not only growing into the city we know it to be today, but also healing from the scars of what the war truly did to it and the world as a whole. people who thought they'd be coming home to hero's praise are working dead end jobs and losing their minds. Families are picking up the pieces after their husbands and fathers come home with scars far deeper than the eye can see. Fear of communism and the red menace is everywhere, as are monsters who are willing to advance by taking advantage of everybody they see.

The technological advances shown in this game will either be a boon or a curse for all forthcoming titles of similar design. The visuals provided in facial features and gestures is unprecidented. There has never been a game to have this calibre of detail. When you look at Cole and he's upset, or he's angry, or he's intense, you know it, and you feel it. It's not just from the unbelievable facial features and gestures provided, it's from the incredible voice acting and scripting. It's from the entire atmosphere that truly captures your imagination and wholly envelopes you as you watch the story unfold.

There are 5 main types of gameplay involved. there is investigation, interrogation, driving, gunfighting, and action/brawling. In investigation, you survey crime scenes and discern what possibly could have happened. You gather clues and interview witnesses. It's not as difficult as it sounds, as the interface is incredibly user friendly, and your controller rumbles whenever you come across a clue, even if it may be hard to find. Not everything you see is useful either, but generally your trained gumshoe is able to tell you if the item is useless or not. Given that this is 1947 and not modern day CSI, you'll almost cringe at some of the things you'll see the detectives do with evidence, such as taking a dead body, slogging it over, grabbing the face, hands, and clothing. You'll go through it, looking for evidence or clues, with no concerns for destroying possible hidden evidence. In interrogation mode, you'll generally be sitting across from someone and asking them questions, trying to get the truth out of them using your skills and intuition as a detective. This is where the technology of fantastic facial features really shines, as youu must watch facial features and gestures to see if someone is lying to you or not. This can get difficult at times, given the situation. Sometimes you might get better information from someone if you go easy on them, like when you interview a child. They are generally afraid, or trying to protect someone they love.

The car driving is simply flawless. Your control over a vehicle is very simple. Left trigger is gas, right trigger is break. If you want to take a turn sharper, simply tap the left trigger to do a sort of handbreak turn. The AI drivers can be a little dumb, but once again, it is 1947, and regulations for driving credentials were far less stringent back in the day, thus explaining this to a degree.

The shooting and action/brawling segments are almost minigames in a sense. They are generally short sections at the end of a running or driving sequence where you either shoot a fleeing suspect to death or beat him to a pulp. The control in both sections is quite good, as shooting is a pleasure, and fighting, while tangly, is easily completed as well. This isn't a shooter or fighting game, this is a detective, thriller murder mystery. If there was too much of one or the other, you'd lose the true value of the game itself.

LA Noire is not just a game, it is an experience. Not since my trying Super Mario 64 have a felt this sense of "wow" when playing a game. Mario 64 ushered in an era of real 3D gaming, far more than most of the inferior titles that claimed the same before it. LA Noire has ushered in a era of true "immersion". Yo will genuinely feel for every tough decision, grieving wife or husband, for every scared or abused child. There are no punches pulled, it is full on gruesome for bad scenes, full on joy for good scenes.

This is a must game for anyone who has ever said "I like video games". It's not my favorite title by any means, but it ranks up there in the amazement and wow factor. Play this game. Experience the next generation of gaming, before it happens.
  90. Jun 28, 2014
    Gets a little repetitive (like a lot of games) after a while but is a lot of fun solving crimes, chasing bad guys,shooting bad guys, and questioning suspects. I just bought this recently and GTA4 and have played L.A Noire about 75% through and GTA4 about 25% and I have to say I am enjoying LA Noire a lot more. You should definitely pick it up! You can find it now for around $5-10
  91. TEM
    May 25, 2014
    My favorite video game of all time. The graphics are unrivaled even 4 years later. The city of L.A is bigger and better than ever. The story is top notch and the biggest reason why I love this game. All the characters are compelling and interesting. How the story unravels is an amazing experience each and every time I play.

Sure, the game play outside of investigating and interrogation

Sure, the game play outside of investigating and interrogation can get dull but it doesn't take away the greatness of it all.

Interrogations are challenging even after multiple plays and can always take a new turn.

Getting a 5 star score after a case is more rewarding to me than anything else ive ever experienced in a video game.

This game is almost played out like a movie which suits me well.

Speaking of movies, if you like this game watch the movie, LA Confidential.
  92. May 21, 2011
    First of all I'd just like to say that I have played virtually all of the rock star games over the years and have been impressed by everyone so far; L.A Noire is no exception.

O.K so 9/10 why not 10/10? L.A Noire isn't you Red Dead Redemption Or GTA, yes its sort of free roam but not fully however when you have a fantastic story and great acting then that is quickly forgotten. L.A Noire

L.A Noire is a charming game graphics wise although now and again the frame rate does have a little bit of a BF ( B***H Fit ) but that is soon forgotten when you are emmeresed into a fantastic storyline.

You play a detective working up the ranks in the police dept in L.A , you are tasked with a case at a time, you get a small mysterious intro with a basic outline of what crime has happened and the you are despatched with your assistant to help you solve the case; along the way you get regular calls for side missions not relating to the main case but these rack up your XP and ranks in the police force.

I rarely buy games on release day 1 but this was an exception and I can say this is a piece of art, the facial scanning allows you to make judgements on whether you trust people or doubt people or think they are downright lying, this can be challenging at times, but that is half the fun!

So looking for a new game? This is the one for you!
  93. May 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire, a game that uses the next best thing( revolutionary facial animation) to create a very dark and violent 1940s detective story. Developed by Rockstar and Team Bondi, L.A.Noire is not to be described as a typical similarity to Red Dead Redemption or GTA. The shooting and camera mechanics are still there, but its a whole new ball game from there. The player is put in the shoes ofL.A. Noire, a game that uses the next best thing( revolutionary facial animation) to create a very dark and violent 1940s detective story. Developed by Rockstar and Team Bondi, L.A.Noire is not to be described as a typical similarity to Red Dead Redemption or GTA. The shooting and camera mechanics are still there, but its a whole new ball game from there. The player is put in the shoes of Detective Cole Phelps, an incorruptible cop bent on finding the killer and putting the person in the gas chamber. He also has a face that makes him look really annoying( he got the cheeks and dimples on the face to back it up), which in real life would cause citizens to roll their eyes when he busts in saying "LAPD guys( with high emphasis on the word "guys") I'm here ask to some questions", but that's a bit off subject.
    Rather than present a shootout on every mission in the game, L.A.Noire relies more on dialogue and clue finding rather than combat to create a riveting and charming game. The player will first start out finding clues from a crime scene and then the meat of the package comes in, the dialogue. As Phelps the player must question witnesses and suspects to find clues and get an answer to the main question( who did it?). This is where the game makes use of the revolutionary facial animation as nearly all the time the suspects or witnesses will likely be holding back particular useful answers. It is up to the player to beat the questions out of the person( verbally) to get the answers he wants. The game uses a 3 button mechanic for the conversations, but is very intuitive and engaging. If you think the person is holding back, doubt them, if you think they're lying, you better back it up with proof or your quest in finding the killer will get much more difficult.
    This is not a game for the action hungry crowd, but rather for the people that want a for once engaging story to play. The pacing of the game is to a certain extent flawed but picks up by the time of the second desk case,but people may lose interest as the game somewhat drags during the middle of the game. L.A.Noire's presentation is best described as game with a late night TV show like charm to it, as each case is presented with a backstory, with the case name popping up on the screen as though it's a new episode. The personal story of Phelps is much to be desired as the game merely focuses on the cases and not the character until the third act, which is the best part as it provides a subtle gameplay twist. The shooting may be a little to easy for experienced gamers but is not a big deal as it is merely there to put a bit of action between the dialogue and give combat and driving sequences with a 1940s charm to it. The music is top notch and is perfectly suitable for the atmosphere. Free roam is there, but restricted as you cannot kill civilians and get those all too familar star warnings, you are a cop after all. Instead they're just used for moving to and discovering locations to advance the story or to show off the admirable architecture of the landmarks of Los Angeles. The game's graphics are a bit more superior on the Playstation 3 but is not a big deal, nor should it be a deal at all. But rather, players should decide which control scheme are they used to when it comes to shooting sequences.
    Overall the game is not for everybody, but for those that want a truly different and original experience instead of typical action heavy games may want to give this game a try. As for me, I was not dissapointed. Just don't expect it to be the game of the year.
  94. Jun 3, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a great game overall, except the fact that the gameplay (even though from Rockstar) lacks as much gunplay as i expected. The art is amazing and I give Rockstar full credit for recreating 1947 Los Angelas.
  95. Jun 6, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a great game, and it is shameful that people buy this game, thinking it is a GTA type game. Rockstar said a million times that it isn't, and dumbasses like Rosenzweigjcb do not see the beauty and true meaning of this game, and yet waste their $60 and troll on this game. Really, I honestly think that people buy this game, just to troll Rockstar for not making a GTA type gameL.A. Noire is a great game, and it is shameful that people buy this game, thinking it is a GTA type game. Rockstar said a million times that it isn't, and dumbasses like Rosenzweigjcb do not see the beauty and true meaning of this game, and yet waste their $60 and troll on this game. Really, I honestly think that people buy this game, just to troll Rockstar for not making a GTA type game this time around. Jesus, just play GTA IV all over again if you need to, or wait another few years for GTA V. (GTA 5 for those idiots who cannot read Roman Numerals.) The story is great, and it brings a new type of game play to the world of gaming. I personally love it, and cannot wait for the upcoming DLC due in a couple of weeks. Expand
  96. Jun 25, 2011
    Overall, a phenomenal game. I was hoping for a 1940s version of GTA IV, but am starting to really get into this one. The graphics are great, and the gameplay is responsive. My wife even enjoys watching me solve the cases as we play through the game. I would recommend this game to anyone who wants a single player break from the FPS genre.

Pros: Gameplay, graphics, facial technology,

Pros: Gameplay, graphics, facial technology, storyline
    Cons: The game takes a while to get into. The cases sort of resemble each other for a while and can get monotonous.
  97. Oct 7, 2011
    Rockstar proves that they could make a very awesome yet addictive games beside GTA. and it paid by this game.. L.A Noire. since the first time i heard and watched the trailer of this game, i'm instantly became a fan. not just that i like a challenging and "thinking" game, but i also want to see the awesome graphic (especially the facial expression of the people) in this game and RockstarRockstar proves that they could make a very awesome yet addictive games beside GTA. and it paid by this game.. L.A Noire. since the first time i heard and watched the trailer of this game, i'm instantly became a fan. not just that i like a challenging and "thinking" game, but i also want to see the awesome graphic (especially the facial expression of the people) in this game and Rockstar made an amazing job on this one. the checking of crime scene and the investigating method looks very realistic that makes u wanna become a detective after playing this game. the environment looks so amazingly great (it is represent what 1950's look like in the real life) the voice acting was so awesome and i think if Hollywood considered to make a great detective movie or another video game movie, L.A Noire could be a good one. unfortunately, this game also has a negative point such as: repetitive mission and repetitive side mission (they just change the case story) but all of that can be forget, because the game also put an interesting storyline of the main character, Cole Phelps and Jack Kelso. so if u all a fan of Rockstar games product (especially GTA) and also a detective game fan, this game is a must have. and, if u just wanna play around and try around, this game is also quite good enough to play. Expand
  98. Jul 15, 2012
    This game gets a 10 from me and if I could go higher I would, this game is worth $ 80.00 if you ask me. Please get the game you will not be disappointed. It is rockstars best game besides Gta 4. It's reviewedgames game of the year 2011.
  99. May 29, 2011
    LA NOIRE - a revolution in video game design but a flawed one at that.

LA NOIRE - a revolution in video game design but a flawed one at that.

L.A Noire is a game developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar Games. You play as Cole Phelps, a former war hero turned LAPD cop who is trying to move on with his life after the war. The game is set in Los Angeles, California in 1947. The most famous aspect of L.A Noire is the 'MotionScan' technology. Actors play out the scenes and every movement is motion captured and placed in the game. The result is a truly engaging detective experience where body language and facial expressions are a key tool to cracking the case. L.A Noire is a game which wouldn't have been possible without this technology.

L.A Noire's gameplay is made up of 4 scenarios. Driving around LA to cases, investigating the evidence at the crime scene, interrogating witnesses and suspects and car chases/on foot chases. Many people will say the game is linear, but it honestly is not. Because of the nature of the game, every case is unique, which can't be said for Grand Theft Auto.

Although a lot of people will be impressed with the content of this game, some aspects of L.A Noire has been done before. Searching for clues, investigating items and keeping a notebook record was done in 2000 by Shenmue but L.A Noire does it FAR better and expands on it. Phelp's notebook keeps a log of 'People of Interest', 'Locations' and 'Clues' relating to a case. If you join the Social Club, you can use intuition points which are earned by ranking up, to remove an answer for an interrogation, ask the community or show all the clues.

That said, L.A Noire expands on these concepts, puts them in a narrative that they fit and provides an engaging story and experience which you shouldn't miss.

Buy it!!
  100. May 31, 2011
    Like some critics have said, L.A. Noire might not be a game that everyone will love, but it is a necessary game for people who want to see how video games have and will evolve. I begin with this because there is a lot to this game that may turn people away - it is NOT your typical GTA game except for driving, story comes before action, trial-and-error may become necessary, and the pace ofLike some critics have said, L.A. Noire might not be a game that everyone will love, but it is a necessary game for people who want to see how video games have and will evolve. I begin with this because there is a lot to this game that may turn people away - it is NOT your typical GTA game except for driving, story comes before action, trial-and-error may become necessary, and the pace of the game is slow. As for me, I thought this game was amazing. I've always loved adventure games, but production values and quality assurance usually leaves something to be desired for your average adventure game. But here we have a giant in the gaming industry producing an uncompromising adventure game - it is a dream come true for someone like me. Roaming crime scenes and interrogating suspects is a thrilling departure from typical gaming fare. The new facial animation technology is a stunning innovation that merges real human emotion into the game worlds; it is not quite perfect, but it must be seen. There is simply nothing like it. Before ending, though, I should note that environments take a while to load (especially when driving), causing some frequent texture pop-in. But since the core of the game is in detective work, this is not that detrimental. Expand

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. CD-Action
    Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]