7.8

1. Dec 11, 2014
    This game is a must play for anyone who likes an open world game, because this is that. But it's also so much more. It's a visually stunning, brilliantly written story that is matched only by the risk they took that succeeded more often than not. Admittedly not for everyone, it is worth a trial run thru to check out.
  2. Dec 11, 2014
    First off, the design and graphics in this game are very impressive. Everything about it looks good. However, that is about all I can say positive for this title. Once you get past that there is very little holding this game up. The story and characters are incredibly boring. The mechanics are sloppy and slow. Tasks become very repetitive and unrewarding after just a few hours. One canFirst off, the design and graphics in this game are very impressive. Everything about it looks good. However, that is about all I can say positive for this title. Once you get past that there is very little holding this game up. The story and characters are incredibly boring. The mechanics are sloppy and slow. Tasks become very repetitive and unrewarding after just a few hours. One can quickly decipher the formula for the correct responses to character interactions. Expand
  3. Sep 24, 2014
    This game feels nearly like a movie. You're this detective, Cole Phelps of whom was formly in world war against Japan. It sets out in the 40's, in LA and crime is at it's all time high. This isn't a GTA clone in no way, and if you're knocking because of that you are an idiot. So basically the game requires you to pay attention to detail, and look for clues. At most points, you'll have toThis game feels nearly like a movie. You're this detective, Cole Phelps of whom was formly in world war against Japan. It sets out in the 40's, in LA and crime is at it's all time high. This isn't a GTA clone in no way, and if you're knocking because of that you are an idiot. So basically the game requires you to pay attention to detail, and look for clues. At most points, you'll have to tell if a persons Lying, telling the truth, or holding out on you. You have to check dead bodies too. You will be able to tell do rockstar using actual spot on facial animations. Tha map feels so hugh, even though there's not much to in the world you will be traveling for minutes. Due to it having so many blocks. You an reply to street crimes. (Which do get very repetitive) Well you make you're way through 5 ranks abd you get different partners:

Patrol (This is sort of like a totourial) Partner Ralph Dunn
    Traffic (You deal with car accident crimes) Partner Stefan Bekowsky
    Homicide ( Dealing with murder crimes) Partner Rusty Galloway
    Vice (Dealing with drug crimes) Partner Roy Earl
    Arson (Dealing with fire crimes) Partner Hershel.
    All partners act different, my favorite partner was Rusty. My least favorite was Roy. He's such a racist and a sexist.
    My favorites were Vice and Homicide. Searching for shipments, or trying murders were really interesting. As you progress through the game you'll become famous. NPC will say "Hey, you're the dectective in the paper."
    The voice acting is spot on.
    The shooting and the car physics were great.

Now let's talk about why I didn't give LA Noire a 10 or 9. there are quite a few cons too it.

1. It doesn't feel like an open world game. This game has a big and dense map, however there's nothing to do in it. I know this isn't GTA, but that still doesn't change the fact that there should be more content. It

2. The Graphics. the facial animations were good, but the graphics weren't all that at all. They seemed worst then GTA IV's.

3. It's very repetitive. Mostly every mission's the same, and that get's boring.

But other than that it's a great game.
  4. Jul 21, 2014
    What truly makes L.A. Noire great is how different it is, not just from Rockstar games, but from games in general. You play as a detective solving murders and other crimes. I love it, it's truly a thinking man's game and requires actual skill.
  5. Jul 4, 2014
    One of the best xbox 360 games you can play, even though it is a few years old. The graphics are advanced for its time and there is a very extensive amount of content. It took a few missions for me to get into the game, but once the ball got rolling i could not put it down. The city is gigantic and the AIs are well done. There is a lot of effort put into this game, and you really have toOne of the best xbox 360 games you can play, even though it is a few years old. The graphics are advanced for its time and there is a very extensive amount of content. It took a few missions for me to get into the game, but once the ball got rolling i could not put it down. The city is gigantic and the AIs are well done. There is a lot of effort put into this game, and you really have to play it to understand. This is a game you can play with your girlfriend and she wont mind watching.

I will admit, the interrogation aspect can be frustrating and some of the character reactions can be confusing, but you will love this game, especially for the low price you can get the complete edition at EB Games (18.00)

Overall, Just a very well made game that every Xbox owner needs to own
  6. Jun 28, 2014
    Gets a little repetitive (like a lot of games) after a while but is a lot of fun solving crimes, chasing bad guys,shooting bad guys, and questioning suspects. I just bought this recently and GTA4 and have played L.A Noire about 75% through and GTA4 about 25% and I have to say I am enjoying LA Noire a lot more. You should definitely pick it up! You can find it now for around $5-10
  7. Jun 15, 2014
    One of the best games of all time I think. The story has a lot of deep, hidden meaning and it took me a couple of times to play through to understand it completely. It does have some problems. The cars are too grippy, the combat feels a bit stiff, and the Tommy gun has way too much ammo. But that doesn't take much away from the game. The story and dialogue are the main focus, and itOne of the best games of all time I think. The story has a lot of deep, hidden meaning and it took me a couple of times to play through to understand it completely. It does have some problems. The cars are too grippy, the combat feels a bit stiff, and the Tommy gun has way too much ammo. But that doesn't take much away from the game. The story and dialogue are the main focus, and it excels in that to movie-like quality. Expand
  8. May 26, 2014
    L.A Noire is an amazing creation. Team Bondi have made a stylish, thrilling and immersive game that gets you engaging with the story and has players bringing out the LAPD detective in them. It is both challenging and enjoyable and a must play for gamers everywhere.
  9. TEM
    May 25, 2014
    My favorite video game of all time. The graphics are unrivaled even 4 years later. The city of L.A is bigger and better than ever. The story is top notch and the biggest reason why I love this game. All the characters are compelling and interesting. How the story unravels is an amazing experience each and every time I play.

Sure, the game play outside of investigating and interrogation

Sure, the game play outside of investigating and interrogation can get dull but it doesn't take away the greatness of it all.

Interrogations are challenging even after multiple plays and can always take a new turn.

Getting a 5 star score after a case is more rewarding to me than anything else ive ever experienced in a video game.

This game is almost played out like a movie which suits me well.

Speaking of movies, if you like this game watch the movie, LA Confidential.
  10. Apr 26, 2014
    I am writing this after finally playing the PC version of the game and it`s one of the most pleasant surprises I`ve had in gaming. The reason is that according to Metacritic there is no PC version, and yet I felt I had to put my two cents in here about LA Noire.
    Not being a huge GTA fan due to my profound lack of interest in Russian pimps with fake accents, f-bombs and car chases I wasn`t expecting too much from this game. But by golly did it have one of the best stories I`ve seen in a game to date. It is also a technical marvel, recreating 1946 LA faithfully enough, which is where the game takes place. The graphics and sound are good and the game play excellent. Occasionally there isn`t a whole lot where you`d expect there to be at least something, but considering that the game simulates a huge city it can hardly be avoided. Even so, LA Noire does an admirable job of making LA appear fully inhabited anyway,. And a mini game of sorts of police radio emergencies means that you`ll have small twists interrupting your pursuit of the main quest all through the game, so giving you more variety than games like Mafia for example. As for the sound the only problem I had was the car radio that keeps going every time you step into the car. When you hear the same news story and the same semi-annoying 1940s song every ten minutes for the entire duration of the game it loses some of its immersive quality. Of course you can turn the radio off, but then it`s all quiet and weird.... But the voiceovers and sound FX are all good, as is the music.

Basically you play as a police detective and follow the ups and downs of his career while uncovering the main story. But since it`s open world you can do this whenever you want to, and me I had a blast just driving various cars way too fast around town and regularly forgot what I was supposed to be doing.
    Anyway, police officer Cole Phelps drives around chasing bad guys and investigating crime scenes before interrogating witnesses and suspects. The interrogations make use of a facial motion capture technique to hint at when suspects are lying, and it is so realistic that I could actually recognize several real life TV actors Rockstar had hired to play the parts. Do all this well enough and you`ll move on to the next case, and the next desk and eventually to the grim ending to the game. The investigation of cases is somewhat similar to what games like CSI have done, but in my mind a lot more interesting because they are in fully interactive environments and part of a larger story going on. In particular some of the main cases for Phelps to solve at the end of each chapter are large, involve multiple crime scenes and feel just riveting. This part of the game really sucks you into what`s going on and gives you a constant feeling of achievement.
    But the thing that really makes LA Noire shine is the amazing story and the compelling characters you`ll get to know while progressing through it. There are really no one-dimensional cliche figures. Rather with almost all the main characters, including Phelps, you tend to think you have them figured out just to have something emerge that makes them more nuanced, and therefore more convincing and interesting. On rare occasions computer games can play like interactive versions of quality novels and this is such an occasion. Saying more might spoil it though, so I won`t.

If you like adventure games, detective simulations, driving games or just plain old great game design and story telling then rush out and get LA Noire with all haste. The only negative thing about this game is that something this good only comes along every five years or so, if we`re lucky, so you will inevitably enter quality-withdrawal just as soon as you finish it.

PS: Judging by reviews above there are some loading issues on the console version but obviously none of that on the PC. If there are other differences I wouldn`t be able to tell you.
  11. Apr 7, 2014
    Instead of going down the usual route of sandbox games these days, L.A Noire implements some unique features and ways to tackle your objectives that whilst not satisfying the cravings of those wanting GTA set in the 1950s, makes for one of the most unique games that came out for it's generation and one that we most likely will not see ever again.

Not everything is perfect, clues and

Not everything is perfect, clues and questioning suspects can be deep and rewarding if you really pay attention to every detail, but the game still wanders into the same direction if you succeed or fail. It can zap some of the fun and reality out of the situation when you come to realize after your second failed interrogation, that you do not really "fail". The ending result remains the same whether or not you picked up ever clue or noticed every tell in a liar's face.

Whilst the environments are beautiful in the game, finding every clue can be a hassle as use of highlighted sound whence near a inspect-able object isn't perfect, but it works enough to give you a sense of accomplishment when you gather enough evidence to have a reasonable idea of how to tackle your next witness or suspect.

The formula stats to wear thin after a while and the action sequences aren't enough to bring the level of excitement a shootout in other sandbox games would normally deliver, but the game is unique enough that it is worth playing, and the achievements of creating almost next gen like visuals on a 5 year old console is a must see.
  12. Mar 29, 2014
    GOOD: Great story showing the police career and WWII flashbacks from the protagonist, Cole Phelps; Plays out like a movie; Not one bad performance from any of the actors(not voice actors, real actors); Innovative crime scene and interrogation mechanics; Cases show stuff that people would actually do to each other in real life(especially Homicide which is brutal); If you struggle on a case,GOOD: Great story showing the police career and WWII flashbacks from the protagonist, Cole Phelps; Plays out like a movie; Not one bad performance from any of the actors(not voice actors, real actors); Innovative crime scene and interrogation mechanics; Cases show stuff that people would actually do to each other in real life(especially Homicide which is brutal); If you struggle on a case, you can ask your partner for help; If you have online, you can use intuition points to help you(use wisely because, the points are limited); If you mess up on a case, you can replay it to do better which would add a lot more time for you to have fun playing this; Fun gun play and brawls; Team Bondi did a good job making the game a near exact depiction of LA in the 1940's; All of the cars were real and actual cars from real companies; Over 90 cars to collect; Fun car chases; Good soundtrack; Funny Mad Men cameos that made me smile, even from the protagonist in the game, Aaron Staton; street crimes were optional

BAD: Boring street crimes; some of the desks like Traffic and Ad Vice were too short; The Ad Vice was inappropriately cut off right when you were about to finish; needed to have fun side activities(bowling would have been perfect as a side activity since the cops go there every week); The game ends rather abruptly(needed to be a little bit longer)

FINAL VERDICT: This game barely misses a 10/10, so it will end up as a 9/10. Needed to add side activities and make more cases to seal a 10/10. Despite the problems, it is one of the best games I have ever played and the most innovative out of all. I say this game is an ALL TIME LEGEND. Just on this game alone, there is something I have to say about Team Bondi: DEVELOPED AS A LEGEND, DIED AS A LEGEND, AND RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD TO DEVELOP ONCE MORE! That's right, Team Bondi is back and developing a game that is planned to come out in 2015 called, Whore Of The Orient, I cannot wait. Play this game immediately if you haven't already, especially if you are a fan of detective stories.
  13. Feb 24, 2014
    L.A. Noire's biggest attraction is that it's from a genre many of us don't play too often. Without this, the game is just 'ok'. The game's best asset is the facial animations which will definitely impress. The two things really holding this game back though is the repetition and core game mechanics. Early on you discover every case essentially involves the same investigate, interrogate,L.A. Noire's biggest attraction is that it's from a genre many of us don't play too often. Without this, the game is just 'ok'. The game's best asset is the facial animations which will definitely impress. The two things really holding this game back though is the repetition and core game mechanics. Early on you discover every case essentially involves the same investigate, interrogate, chase sequence which gets old pretty fast. Sure you can drive around in the open world but there is absolutely nothing to do, which really defeats the purpose of designing this game as a sandbox. Further you can even skip driving scenes which although handy, again makes you wonder why this game is open world. The second issue though is really what holds this game back, being the questioning for investigations and interrogations. Whilst it makes sense to have a limited number of clues and questions from a gameplay point of view, the problem is that many responses and outcomes do not logically connect or are used in ways inconsistent with how they should or could be used. Many times you will know the answer to the case however you will be marked wrong because the game does not describe the dialogue lines that will accompany the evidence you choose, or when the game fails to recognise that the evidence can be used in more than one way. Other times you can convict someone with little or no evidence at all, or evidence that would never hold up in the real world ( I was once somehow able to prove a person wasn't home the night before because he had a wet jacket on his door despite the fact it was raining when I got there and it was 24 hours later.... what??) The unfortunate outcome of this is that there is really no intellectual component to the game at all, but rather trial and error. To cap this all off the game is littered with glitches and bugs that completely ruin missions as events won't trigger (or did somehow trigger but you never saw it), locations won't show, or missions will have to be completed in specific sequences of events to be able to get the mission completely correct with no indication or guidance whatsoever which can completely ruin your mission. I was unable to complete a case perfectly because I elected to skip a car ride which was supposed to trigger a radio call- why should the game penalise you if it gives you the option in the first place and gives no warning you are to receive the call!!! Later when I triggered the event I was unable to proceed with the investigation because I had missed the order of events and could not go and question the suspect with the new information despite them being in the lock up... which just makes no sense whatsoever. Did anyone at Team Bondi even test this game? All in all an ok game with no replayability - worth a try once but that will be enough. Expand
  14. Jan 15, 2014
    One of my favourite games ever. I played it twice through and it was still as good the second time around. Anyone looking for an action game probably won't like it but anyone who likes playing games set in an era gone by you'll love getting lost in here. Homicide Desk was a winner, Arson not so great which is why I gave it a 9/10.
  15. Jan 2, 2014
    This game comes with 3 discs. The first was much better than I expected, a story about a soldier turned cop whose excellent detective work allowed him to rise through the ranks. The second disc was him at the height of his career, bent on catching a serial killer, and this disc was amazing. This game would be a 10 for me if the game ended with the capture of the main villian, 10 out of 10.This game comes with 3 discs. The first was much better than I expected, a story about a soldier turned cop whose excellent detective work allowed him to rise through the ranks. The second disc was him at the height of his career, bent on catching a serial killer, and this disc was amazing. This game would be a 10 for me if the game ended with the capture of the main villian, 10 out of 10. But then disc three started. First of all, Cole has an affair for literally no reason, and tbh, the subject of his wife wasnt even touched upon in the last two discs. So he gets demoted to arson, the dullest series of cases ive ever seen. Then you find out that stuff happened in the war that makes Cole feel guilty. And because of this, he pointlessly sacrifices himself at the end for a girl he doesnt even love. WTF rockstar??? Expand
  16. Dec 27, 2013
    I adore this game. It's a welcome change from mind-numbing non-stop violence such as that in GTA. Love the occasional chases, fistfights, and I absolutely adoreeeeee the interrogations. Everyone has a tell that gives away when they're lying, and it's loads of fun to theorize about who really did it. My brother and I play it together.
  17. Dec 26, 2013
    l.a. noire is a good game but it doesn't reach the level of rockstar games in the past few years,other problem is the difficulty of this game wich is too much hard.
  18. Dec 25, 2013
    Best game of 2011 hands down. It is absolutely stunning graphic wise, and has a gameplay like no other game. This game is almost as unique as heavy rain, which is my favorite game of all time. So many games which are released these days are not innovative and plain boring. This game is the most innovative game of the year and I have fallen in love wiht it. The suspense is incredible, tehBest game of 2011 hands down. It is absolutely stunning graphic wise, and has a gameplay like no other game. This game is almost as unique as heavy rain, which is my favorite game of all time. So many games which are released these days are not innovative and plain boring. This game is the most innovative game of the year and I have fallen in love wiht it. The suspense is incredible, teh interogations and the control that you have as a player over the criminals makes you feel powerful. If you want an innovative, exiting, different and engaging game then you must buy this masterpiece. Anyone who rates this badly simply does not have the emotional capacity to enjoy a masterpiece like this and are too used to playing call of duty to know any better. Expand
  19. Nov 27, 2013
    I am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun playI am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun play which was poor and remarkably easy and lastly the interrogation scenes which to be honest were more frustrating than anything due to lack of information on what your character is actually going to say and inconsistencies in the facial gives. I found the game entertaining but by the end was just hoping to get it over and done with. Expand
  20. Nov 5, 2013
    L.A. Noire was one of the best games I have ever played. Map was huge and they made it so realistic. Story was amazing, so in depth. Great experience.
  21. Sep 18, 2013
    BEST. GAME EVER. I have recently received this game for my birthday, and I have to say, this is one of my favorite games I have ever played. The graphics were beautiful. The cutscenes were amazingly cinematic. Even every case has its own twist whether it be multiple suspects or many different cases. I don't know how anybody could hate this. Even the interviews are flawless. The 360 degreeBEST. GAME EVER. I have recently received this game for my birthday, and I have to say, this is one of my favorite games I have ever played. The graphics were beautiful. The cutscenes were amazingly cinematic. Even every case has its own twist whether it be multiple suspects or many different cases. I don't know how anybody could hate this. Even the interviews are flawless. The 360 degree facial recognition acting on the interrogation is perfect. It is like watching somebody in real life giving lies or truth to you. I wish that there was more to do in the game because their aren't any activities to do outside of the cases. Gunplay is perfect and being able to bond with the character is the best I have seen in a game. No other game has been able to cpture my emotion much like this one. I cannot believe how much I enjoyed this game. Anyone who says any different are entitled to their opinion though I do not agree to it. THIS GAME IS AMAZING! Expand
  22. Sep 2, 2013
    9/10. The negative reviews are correct; the game is a lot like a movie that you get to somewhat be a part of, and the action scenes are very underwhelming.

However, considering I'm so interested in the post-war 1940s era, I would buy the game simply for the driving-around-in-1940s-LA aspect. It has solid character development, and the facial animation technology was fantastic. In my opinion, L.A. Noire is like a very good movie that you also get to be involved with, which is totally fine by me.

The story was nice, the way they portrayed Los Angeles was fantastic, and overall I enjoyed this game a great deal.
  23. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is a different bird which is refreshing.

The presentation and voice acting is stellar. The concept is really cool too. The game play feels like every other big Rockstar game (GTA, Red Dead Redemption) and that is good or bad depending on how you feel about it. Investigating areas is streamlined and basic but how it all adds up at end is rewarding The golden pig of the
    This game is a different bird which is refreshing.

The golden pig of the whole operation is supposed to be the questioning of suspects and motion capture visuals and yada yada yada. All I can say is it's pretty good. I found it really hard to read suspects reactions and gestures. What looked like avoiding eye contact sometimes was just a defiant suspect. What looked like a cooperative straight to the point suspect was sometimes a flat out liar.

And maybe that was the whole point in an effort to avoid a cookie cutter game and to show how police work has lots of gray areas. It still left me feeling frustrated because even if I was a master at reading people, I don't think I would have made every correct choice. Lots of these missions need a couple playthroughs to perfect and even then, help online was needed here and there.

The story keeps you wanting more as it avoids the start-from-the-bottom and work to-the-top format. Later missions deal with an arson of all things instead of a Mob Mafia Mastermind like you may predict although the game has that too)

It's worth checking out
  24. Aug 1, 2013
    One of the better games of this generation. Incredible atmosphere, attention to detail and the best facial animations to this time. The story is great, the characters feel real with all their good and bad attributes and the storytelling is original. At times, the pace is kinda slow and some cases aren' t that much interesting, but the originality makes this game of a fine quality.

The

The graphics are great though there are framedrops. Animating every move in this vast world is a great achievement though. Make Cole run and immediately stick to a wall or try jumping different kinds of objects. No clipping cause of the great collision detection system for an open world game. The facial animations though steal the show. It should be a standard for all games from now on. At times they might seem a little blurry but, seeing the muscles of the neck and be able to tell a difference makes new space in the gameplay sector.

Gameplay-wise it feels like a new-gen adventure. You have to find clues and be thorough if you want a better result for your case. You have to figure the perpetrator out and try to foresee motives. It's great and has an atmosphere that sucks you in. More activities would be great besides the street crimes so that you could feel that you're living in the 40's LA and some of the aspects of the story weren't so much been looked into such as Cole's family or his relationships with his colleagues or brothers-in-arms.

All in all, great game with some original ideas and incredible attention to detail, though its pacing is not for everyone. Like adventure games.
  25. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the most genuine and innovative games of this generation. Great atmopshere, great story, great gameplay and the facial animation is truly next gen... This is a masterpiece... One of the best games ever...
  26. Jul 4, 2013
    Its restrictive world may be a little bit of a turn-off for some hardcore free-roamer fans, but "L.A. Noire's" innovative gameplay and insanely immersive narrative make it an incredible must-play.
  27. Jun 27, 2013
    If you're looking for a unique game, LA Noire is a definite "must own" game. The whole is just very well done. The motion capture system used is spot on and the game has a sense of realism I have not seen in any other game. Really, the only flaw with this game is the gameplay, which by the third disk gets a bit stale and repetitive.
    If you like to try new things, give LA Noire a shot.
  28. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a Grand Theft Auto fan, I came to L.A. Noire expecting something much like GTA but in the past, I was disappointed for about an hour when I found out it was nothing like it, but kept playing, hour after hour, L.A. Noire made its way into my top 10 favorite games of all time, then it quickly became my #1 most favorite game of all time.
    Never did I think such innovation can come from a game in these times, because innovation and originality pretty much all died a long time ago, but this restored my faith.
    This game served me well in every aspect, it was fun, it was lengthy, it had an amazing story, it had good collectible that were actually fun to go around looking for.
    Now, for a 360 game that looks this good, I'm very surprised it didn't lag as much as most other games.
    Lots of other games that don't look as good as L.A. Noire lag like hell, L.A. Noire looks amazing and only lagged 2 times in my full playthrough, they were in MASSIVE shootouts, and the lag went away after 2 seconds the first time, and after 5 seconds the second time.
    Cole Phelps' death was incredibly sad, I literally felt bad when Cole died.
    Overall, this game is amazing, deserves a well earned 10/10.
  29. May 27, 2013
    I bought this game when it first came out and enjoyed it, and recently I decided to give it a go again as the game is now coming up to being two years old.

- The game's single player campaign is rather long. I've been playing it fairly nonstop for about 15-16 hours now and still have at least two more departments to get through (vice and arson). To say the least, the gameplay has been rather fun, but it has begun to get quite tedious and repetitive. Even though the cases are all different and unique, you can't help but feel like you're doing the same thing over and over once you've done a handful of them. The uniqueness eventually wears off, and right now I feel like I'm playing the game more to finish it than anything else.

- The story of the game has a main overreaching arch and several subplots going on at the same time. It's not a bad story by any means, but due to many of the characters being unlikeable, or simply uninteresting, it has became rather difficult for me to really care as to what's going on. In fact, I've really stopped paying much attention to the story and am simply going through the motions until I get to the next gunfight or suspect chase. It's a shame because the story really is quite unique, but the lack of depth or real connection to any of the game's characters really does kill it for me.

- If you're familiar with other Rockstar titles then you're away of the open, sandbox style most of their games has. This game simultaneously is the same as those other titles and completely different. While I wouldn't necessarily expect the ability to go on a shooting rampage as you could in the GTA franchise, I found myself rather limited as to what I could do in this world. Late 40's LA has been beautifully reproduced, but there's no depth to the city and nothing really to do in it. I can't draw my gun whenever I want to, my character can't explore nearly as many buildings, there are no real mini games to be found, there are no natural 'ramps' I can jump cars off of, etc... In essence, it's a prettier version of GTA that lacks and real playability outside of the actual campaign. It's a shame too because the city is well done, but since I can't do anything with it other than look at it I find myself getting bored with it easily. Unfortunately, this means the game has little replay value unless you're like me, beat it once, and then come back to it 2 years later when it's finally somewhat fresh again.

- The cases in the game are fun to play through at first, but after awhile you'll realize that there really are no ways you can genuinely screw up a case so that it will greatly affect the outcome of the story. Sure you might limit what questions you can ask a suspect or what parts of a case you can actually play through, but you'll still end up finishing each case and moving on as if the previous results were insignificant to the utmost degree. This has really put me down a bit as I now feel no need to be careful with my decision making and can run through each mission without trying hard to succeed. In a sense, the 'need' to play well has been completely killed for me.

- As to the actual interrogation aspect of the game, which was a major selling point and highlight for the game, I can tell you that it's really not all that it's cracked up to be. Sometimes you'll be interrogating someone and they'll give off a look that makes you think they're lying to you, but somehow the correct response will be 'truth'. Likewise, a character might look like they're being completely truthful but the answer will be 'doubt'. Sometimes you can even tell a character is lying and you'll have the evidence to prove it, but the game will want a different piece of evidence than the one you selected or they'll want you to select 'doubt' instead of accusing them of lying. This becomes UNBELIEVABLY frustrating after awhile, and since you know the outcome of each case doesn't affect the outcome of the game you wind up asking yourself why you're even bothering with the game (something I've done numerous times now, but I still have yet to be able to turn the 360 off on this game for good).

In summary, this gameplay and story are unique enough that if you're into the whole noire/detective thing, or if you just want something different, then this game is definitely worth a rent, borrow from a friend, or even a buy if you can get it for ~$10, but there's really little other reason to pick it up. The replay value simply isn't there, and the gameplay itself is only good enough if it's you're interested in. It's not a bad game, it's just not a great one, either. I give it a 5.5 out of 10.
  30. May 15, 2013
    The story of this game is one of the very best I have seen in a video game. In my opinion it is right up their with Mass Effect. Some of the cases mechanics and actions might feel repetitive, but the story never does. The interrogations are absolutley captivating, and the ending was one of the most unexpected ever. One of the best gaming experiences ever.
  31. Apr 19, 2013
    Rockstar Games have earned a good reputation in gaming circles for high production values and that trend continues with the Team Bondi developed LA Noire. Set in the late 1940s the game is an interactive detective story following the career of ex-army lieutenant Cole Phelps.

There have been complaints from those expecting a Grand Theft Auto (GTA) style open world game but LA Noire was never advertised as such. The game is far more structured than any GTA game, or even Red Dead Redemption for that matter, and the focus of the game remains firmly on solving the cases provided by searching crime scenes (in the manner of the old point and click adventures) and questioning witnesses/suspects. The much vaunted facial mapping technology is very impressive even if it does still becomes all but impossible to spot when someone is hiding the truth in later cases. The game is not totally devoid of action however with most cases involving a few shoot outs, car chases or rooftop pursuits and these are fairly well implemented even if the controls aren’t always as precise as they could be.

Many of the cases are fairly interesting and the script writing, while still not up to the quality of the best TV programmes, is certainly better than the majority of those seen in video games. A number of other minor flaws, such as a few repetitive cases, can be largely ignored but one complaint that certainly can't be is that all too often it feels more like you are being lead through some of the investigations rather than actually playing the role of detective. Regardless of any choices made the game plays out in virtually the same way and this comes very close to making the gameplay pointless on occasions. For many the atmosphere created will allow them to get past this but it all means the game does not live up to the hype.
  32. Apr 16, 2013
    What an incredible experience this video game is. A journey throughout from start to finish. Very very tricky though, had to use a walk through once or twice but overall, a brilliant game!
  33. Mar 24, 2013
    This was a very good game, really hoping there is going to be a sequel. This game kept me wanting to play more and was very easy to get into. It's also nothing like I have played before, pretty cool concept, looking for clues and stuff.
  34. Mar 22, 2013
    The technical achievements are undeniable, but it is simply not that entertaining with its unmemorable plot, monotonous gameplay, nonexistent re-playability, and underwhelming characters.
  35. Mar 8, 2013
    I grew up loving the hardboiled detective film noire types of movies so when I heard about this I was quite excited since it was right up my alley.

Sadly though the end product is nothing like it could have been. This is basically a snooze fest disguised as a game. Honestly, if it didn't have Rockstar's name on the box it wouldn't be rated highly as it is or sold as well despite the fact Rockstar did not make this game.

My main dislikes with the game are.......

1- You never really detect anything. You walk around till you get a little chime meaning you press the x button and pickup the clue. If the clue needs to be examined further the game will tell you so. Once you have the clues your partner will signal you it's time to go somewhere else. The game basically walks you through detecting everything and finding clues. It tells you when you need to hit what buttons and where.

2- You can't mess up interrogations. This was lauded as a big feature for the game. If you blow the interrogation then you just do it again. Even if you guess wrong when your judging a person's true intentions you can still win the game without ever getting one right. You can go right through the game by guessing everything wrong when its decision time while interviewing someone. The game basically won't let you make mistakes that stop the game play and there are no consequences for anything during interrogations. There is no need to study a person's facial reactions or what they say because it doesn't matter. Guess right? No advantage. Guess wrong? No punishment.

3- The facial animations while good are just a gimmick. Another big selling point for the game is just a gimmick. Again looking at people's faces during interrogation to guess if they are lying or not doesn't matter since you don't have to be right. The facial animations are nice but it doesn't matter aesthetically because their bodies still move like stiff puppets. And they still aren't lifelike because they are over exaggerated to be noticeable. I personally wish they hadn't wasted all the money on filming actors in a fancy studio with all this high tech equipment and instead used the money to hire better writers for the game and work on making it more fun instead of just being a gateway for their facial animation tech. Honestly the animations felt more like a tech demo they were hoping to get other developers to license the tech for their games.

4- The game is incredibly linear. Yes a couple times you can chose to shake down a bartender instead of checking up on a drug addict but you never really get to chose anything. The game firmly holds your hand from the start to the finish and never let's go. I felt more like a errand boy out driving from point A to point B and then from C to D.

5- The storyline while not bad isn't that great. The main storyline starting out builds and builds and builds then suddenly it just stops and comes to a half with a very paper thin plot excuse and then suddenly you thrust off in another direction with no looking back. They just go to all this trouble of building up to something and then suddenly pull the rug out and leave you unsatisfied. The ending is very, very unsatisfying as well.

6- Team bondi has been saying the game isn't finished and that's easily noticeable just playing through it. They left the game kind of shallow in order to sell more DLC to gamers and that's obvious since they have been releasing DLC since its release and have recently announced more. It's just a shame they would release a 60 dollar game partially gutted so they can sell DLC and turn it into a 100 dollar game.

7- 60% of the game is still just grand theft auto. Just like in grand theft auto you have to drive a car for hours and hours and hours while you playing doing absolutely nothing but going up and down the same boring streets as a time sink. You can take any car you want like in GTA, you'll waste hours of time driving just like GTA, when you run it's just like in GTA, when you shoot or fight it's just like GTA, in fact everything that isn't investigating or interrogating is just like GTA.

In the end this game is wasted potential. I really wish I had waited till it eventually drops to 5 bucks or less because that's all it's worth. I had a lot of fun for about 6 hours and after that I find myself playing it just to finish it since I paid for it. I was really disappointed in this game.
  36. Feb 3, 2013
    A revolutionary game that sets new standards in facial animation. An interesting character, gorgeous period detail, immersive graphics and audio. If you enjoy Philip Marlow you or Sam Spade you will love this game.
  37. Jan 20, 2013
    Graphics: 8/10 Story: 8/10 Gameplay: 7/10 Voice Acting: 8/10 Soundtrack: 7/10 Enjoyment: 9/10 =
    7.8 (Great)
    L.A Noire is a flamin' amazing game. If you haven't already buy it! All 3 disks on Xbox keep you entertained for hours and may even drag you into the story like it did to me.
  38. Jan 4, 2013
    L.A. Noire reminds me of the old gangster movies. L.A. Noire has brilliant voice acting, cases that are really hard to solve and the graphics are unbelivable. It remains one of the best games Rockstar made. 9/10
  39. Dec 4, 2012
    Hell **** yeah!!! this game is **** awesome. Seriously. I don't know what they make their people do at Rocksar but they should keep doing it because this game has everything that I could possibly want out of a detective game. Even side missions like street crimes. Jesus Christ, this is awesome
  40. Nov 23, 2012
    I would call this game L.A. Bore. This game is worse then GTA 4 and im not even sure how thats possable. I was so bored playing this game. What good is an open world you can do nothing in. Plus the story is lame.
  41. Nov 16, 2012
    The feel of this game is great, you feel like you're in LA back in the '40s. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, the world looks as good as it can for consoles, and the MotionScan is some revolutionary technology, leading you to get fully immersed with the incredible acting the cast of L.A. Noire did. I think I love the game a bit more than I should simply because they used someThe feel of this game is great, you feel like you're in LA back in the '40s. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, the world looks as good as it can for consoles, and the MotionScan is some revolutionary technology, leading you to get fully immersed with the incredible acting the cast of L.A. Noire did. I think I love the game a bit more than I should simply because they used some characters from Mad Men and I love that show, haha. The story was great, made me cry, to be honest lol & the gameplay is fun, being a detective was a blast, reading peoples faces was tough at times and it couldn't have been done without MotionScan. The shooting is what you'd expect it to be from a Rockstar Game, similar to Red Dead Redemption. Team Bondi did a superb job with this game whilst giving it a touch of Rockstars greatness, I highly recommend this title. Expand
  42. Nov 7, 2012
    The reason I give L.A Noire a 10 is because it goes where no game has ventured before and it does it well. More in depth though the storyline is superb and well written. The cases themselves are well done and I feel as if each case is as important as the last. The protagonist is disappointing the only time the protagonist gets any depth is near the end of the game. From a technicalThe reason I give L.A Noire a 10 is because it goes where no game has ventured before and it does it well. More in depth though the storyline is superb and well written. The cases themselves are well done and I feel as if each case is as important as the last. The protagonist is disappointing the only time the protagonist gets any depth is near the end of the game. From a technical standpoint the game is a marvel, not a single glitch in my playthrough and the motionscan is remarkable. The shootouts are fun, the cover system is simple but its still good the car and foot chases are always fun. So in short L.A Noire is not your typical game, it makes you think and it does something new, definitely a great buy. Expand
  43. Nov 2, 2012
    It did take 3 minutes when I discovered "aaaawshit!! thats not GTA 1947!!!" and no it wasnt it was better it was a coldblooded-crimethriller. After playing 1hour I discovered how great game is that. The plot is unforgettable, so exciting and intresting. Motion-Scan technology works perfectly in interviews. Game is very special but good way. That's the game that everyone needs to try. ItsIt did take 3 minutes when I discovered "aaaawshit!! thats not GTA 1947!!!" and no it wasnt it was better it was a coldblooded-crimethriller. After playing 1hour I discovered how great game is that. The plot is unforgettable, so exciting and intresting. Motion-Scan technology works perfectly in interviews. Game is very special but good way. That's the game that everyone needs to try. Its still game of 10points ,unless replaying value is zero. Rockstar games know once again whichlike games self-respecting gamers like and there is lots of more examples from Rockstar Games: Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Autos and Max Payne 3 Expand
  44. Oct 29, 2012
    On paper, LA Noire sounds like an open-world sandbox fused with an interactive movie, but in truth, it's so much more. It's groundbreaking, effortlessly engaging and utterly sublime. To miss playing LA Noire would be a heinous crime. Simply put, it's a work of unbridled genius.
  45. Aug 23, 2012
    my god that was a trudge at the end. i understand what they were trying to do with this game, but this game never should've been "open world". I'm sort of glad it failed commercially since open world for the sake of open world is blah. The game never really hit the heights needed to make up for its lows.
  46. Aug 8, 2012
    This game was very fun to play, it had a great, well written story, having to read the faces and make the right decisions was great fun and put you into the shoes of Cole Phelps, the greatest detective known to xbox.
  47. Jul 31, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases hasL.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases has a weird and unnatural progression combined with a lack of interactivity, the side missions are quite similar to each other, the interviewing mechanics could be improved and the biggest flaw of them all is that the game gets repetitive. No matter the case the gameplay structure stays the same. The game is a pony with a few tricks it keeps showing over and over again and quite frankly it gets kind of boring after a while. If you however like me play 1 or 2 cases every now and then you are probably going to have a blast. This game could have been fantastic, in the end its simply good. Hopefully some game in the future will fix be just that. Expand
  48. Jul 24, 2012
    LA Noire is simply Dragon's Lair for the new Millennium, and I feel for the folk who get suckered into loving "games" like these. LA Noire simply does not have enough interaction, enough repercussions or enough substance on the whole to be anything more than a really boring movie. Also, what little interaction is there in the game is pretty badly done too. The difference between doubting aLA Noire is simply Dragon's Lair for the new Millennium, and I feel for the folk who get suckered into loving "games" like these. LA Noire simply does not have enough interaction, enough repercussions or enough substance on the whole to be anything more than a really boring movie. Also, what little interaction is there in the game is pretty badly done too. The difference between doubting a person's answer and accusing them of lie-ing is often silly, and then it doesn't feel consequential to anyone other than completion-ists; the actual "action" itself feels very linear and very much stuck on a railroad track, the massive LA world contains nothing of note; and the main protagonist is a prick who quickly becomes annoying. There came a point in the game where I was asked to "shadow" a suspect in a cafe - after a few fails the game asked me "would you like to skip this?" - FFS! A key point in the plot and it's treated as if it doesn't matter - it just made things feel cheap and it was as if the game admitted "yeah, this bits a bit crap but we thought we'd chuck it in anyway". Also on the whole the plot seems very disjointed at times and, if you play it out differently to how most would (ie go to a later destination before the obvious one), then the plot often gets a few jumbled up lines thrown in which don't make sense. Other than superb facial animations I really can't see why anyone would be interested in such a pointless game. Expand
  49. Jul 18, 2012
    This is a tricky game to write a review for due to the fact that this game is for an extremely select few. To give a bit of background: Noir is my favorite genre of film and fiction, I was practically raised on the stuff.

The best summary I can give is this: The game play elements all play well but they are mediocre at best- the action and driving is standard and polished however does not stand out amongst games that hold a more consistent focus on third-person action (Max Payne 3) or driving (any GTA game). When I speak of driving elements in L.A. Noire, the driving is fun but because points are deducted if the player does anything that is logically contradicting to a police officer's duty- this makes sense- but any sort of vigilantism is nonexistent, which is peculiar given that the game is supposed to be about corruption and scandalous themes. Sure, the main character is a "goody two shoes" but it would be cool if there was a development where he becomes more of an antihero- this would make it classic noir.

On the note of vigilantism, the game is initself a contribution to the noir genre - this brings up a minor complaint on my behalf that the game is spelled "noire" as if its trying to be avant garde or chic despite the fact that it could have easily been spelled "L.A. Noir" and perhaps would have looked better; many elements of noir are not present (focus on shadows, the hero being an anti hero), although the cliches of murder, crime etc are present. I suppose this is insignificant in the big picture though.

The highlight and main focus on the game lies in the interrogation of suspects and witnesses, and it is in this regard that the game does get some major pros- the cons inherent are that, after a while, it can become extremely difficult to get the "correct" answers (being "lie," "truth," "doubt") and the major encouraging facet that how some of the missions unfold and how the plot is unveiled is based on the where, who, how and why's extracted from interrogations can be very clever.

Though, for a perfectionist who wants to get down the "perfect" (or close to "perfect") accomplishment of tacit objectives in the missions, there is a requirement of having to restart the entire mission and some of the longer cutscenes cannot be skipped; as well the same interrogations must be done to lead one from one character to the next.

The plot is good. People have compared it to L.A. Confidential, which is a fair comparison, though I would say that the film is much better and (perhaps ironic to the game) executed in a fashion more fitting to the noir genre.

It's not that this game is bad, it's just not stellar or even very great, in the long run. Rent it or borrow it first from a friend but keep in mind the game becomes understandably formulaic. Regardless it should be praised for being unique- but being unique has never made a game a standalone classic or an absolute must have.
  50. Jul 15, 2012
    This game gets a 10 from me and if I could go higher I would, this game is worth $ 80.00 if you ask me. Please get the game you will not be disappointed. It is rockstars best game besides Gta 4. It's reviewedgames game of the year 2011.
  51. Jul 3, 2012
    Graphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facialGraphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facial recognition of lies etc, is an interesting concept - one they haven't really pulled off 100% (amusingly, faults are mostly due to the odd bad actor rather than the technology but it's still very good) but you have to commend the effort.

It's not going to be something you play again when you finish it, but I'd describe it as the perfect rental title. You'll finish it in a week, and feel pretty good about it when you do. So, for me, I'll ignore the repetitiveness, the overall air of pretention and just how casual the game is overall and give it a decent score. In short, you just have to recognise it for what it is. 7/10.
  52. Jun 11, 2012
    This game does things that are quite innovative and frankly it should be something that changes how games are done in the future. The facial motion capture, and the use of real actors makes the game a classic. There's actually quite a bit to do in the game besides the cases, so it never gets boring. The realism of the cars, and the settings are so spot on, its just amazing. There's aThis game does things that are quite innovative and frankly it should be something that changes how games are done in the future. The facial motion capture, and the use of real actors makes the game a classic. There's actually quite a bit to do in the game besides the cases, so it never gets boring. The realism of the cars, and the settings are so spot on, its just amazing. There's a point in the game (about 3 quarters in I guess), where the flashbacks is done so well, its as good as a great movie. Suddenly you have a character is more human and interesting than any in gaming history. After you figure out how to interrogate, that almost becomes the best part. Gathering evidence also gets more fun since you start to realize how to close a case. And when you want something else to do, you can run around find a hidden vehicle, or film real. Great fun and worth replaying. Expand
  53. Jun 6, 2012
    I'm currently about halfway through this game, and I had to come here and add a review. I'm really, really impressed. The acting, and performance technology are head and shoulders (ha) above anything else out there. You can actually recognize characters face, and see subtle performance ticks that haven't gone through the hand-animation grinder. It really creates an atmosphere ofI'm currently about halfway through this game, and I had to come here and add a review. I'm really, really impressed. The acting, and performance technology are head and shoulders (ha) above anything else out there. You can actually recognize characters face, and see subtle performance ticks that haven't gone through the hand-animation grinder. It really creates an atmosphere of reality that's missing from so many games. The dialog is handled very well, and the writing is great. I like the atmosphere just driving around town. I just played Diablo 3, so quality writing and dialogue complexity really shine for me here. The in-game radio is really nice too, adding to the feel of being in the 1940's with shows like "The Bickersons" Now, some VERY small gripes-- I wish there was even more variety on the radio stations in the game. It would have helped the reality if they never repeated. I also wish there was a little more variety in what the in-game secondary characters say, so they aren't always just talking about seeing me in the paper over and over. Also, I wish there was a bit more to the interviews so they didn't feel so much like guessing games. Maybe there could have been some way to examine evidence again during interviews and combine them with characters and locations to see if Phelps sees the connection I do before I'm in an interview. These gripes are so small for me they really only barely nick the score so I'm sticking with a 10. Expand
  54. May 28, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game, it looks really nice, but fun factor wise i give a 6
  55. May 27, 2012
    What I don't like: I'd loved to see a little bit of more transcendence of my actions. The weird camera moving system when you drive. Helping buttons are shown during the whole game, which makes decreasing the challenge's difficulty. I missed a cooperative mode, you always have a single companion with you. / What like: Very accurate and credible weapon's names. Very well documented, it'sWhat I don't like: I'd loved to see a little bit of more transcendence of my actions. The weird camera moving system when you drive. Helping buttons are shown during the whole game, which makes decreasing the challenge's difficulty. I missed a cooperative mode, you always have a single companion with you. / What like: Very accurate and credible weapon's names. Very well documented, it's clearly visible that the creators made a great compilation of the information needed. The game's difficulty is challenging, specially at the interrogatories. / Conclusion: This is the best game I've tried from this company, just incredible, it makes you experiment a direct connection with the main character. Expand
  56. May 6, 2012
    L.A Noire s one of the best game I have ever played. Rockstar Games make another masterpiece of a game. This game gets the best story award of 2011 and of any game I have ever played by me. Part 1 of L.A Noire was fantastic and part 2 even better and part 3 was the best. The ending was good. I don't no why people thought it was odd. It was very sad ending. Part 1 8/10 Part 2 9/10 Part 3L.A Noire s one of the best game I have ever played. Rockstar Games make another masterpiece of a game. This game gets the best story award of 2011 and of any game I have ever played by me. Part 1 of L.A Noire was fantastic and part 2 even better and part 3 was the best. The ending was good. I don't no why people thought it was odd. It was very sad ending. Part 1 8/10 Part 2 9/10 Part 3 9/10 L.A Noire 9.4/10 Expand
  57. May 4, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a phenomenal experience. Not only is it a unique twist on the open world sandbox game, but it is an unbelievably refreshing challenge. While the challenge of most games of today are about shooting and quick kills, gaining experience and killing bosses etc., L.A. Noire challenges the player to investigate, put together esoteric clues, and decide whether or not someone isL.A. Noire is a phenomenal experience. Not only is it a unique twist on the open world sandbox game, but it is an unbelievably refreshing challenge. While the challenge of most games of today are about shooting and quick kills, gaining experience and killing bosses etc., L.A. Noire challenges the player to investigate, put together esoteric clues, and decide whether or not someone is lying or telling the truth during interrogations, via the ridiculously detailed facial animation capture technology. There are shooting moments, but they pepper certain moments of rising action. It's not a normal game by any means, especially coming from the controversial developer Rockstar. But this game is by no means simple; characters are mature, the material is mature, and the way L.A. Noire engages the player is far different than anything I've ever played. The way the story, the sub plots, every single cutscene, and cases all weave together truly engage the player to think as well as examine all aspects of what exactly is going on is masterful, if a little unbalanced. The gameplay mechanics may be a little wonky at some moments, and there are a couple glitches that occur, and the story may take quite some time to start getting good, but the positives more than outweigh the negatives. L.A. Noire is innovative, fresh, and most of all engaging and challenging, all in new ways. Rockstar and Team Bondi have truly crafted an awesome and riveting experience, one that comes fairly close to be crowned the "Citizen Cane" of video games, if it is a minor bit flawed. This is one game I definitely recommend to anyone looking for a now inexpensive and very fresh take on the sandbox video game. 9.5/10, rounds up to 10 on metacritic Expand
  58. Apr 9, 2012
    I was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but II was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but I found it all but useless. Most of the time characters acted and looked the same irrelevant of whether they were lying or not. And if you got it wrong (and wanted 5 starts) you had to start over. I spent more time wasting away on replaying missions and sitting through the unskippable cutscenes just because the game illogically felt someone was lying. If the LAPD was so blind and stupid in that era that they couldn't recognize when they arrested the wrong person or when someone was lying then LA would have never survived. The entire "who's guilty and who's innocent" was nothing more than a writer's poor attempt at creating a believable story. There were only a handful of cases where the guilty party even made sense. It was so horribly bad.

The vehicles were hard (and unrealistic) to control, the traffic AI was really bad and the driving sections made little sense. Never once couuld I (a detective in LAPD) catch someone who decided to drive away - businessman, student, whatever. Even worse was that traffic lights seemed coded to be red when you needed to go through them so you end up driving the entire time with your siren on. Even then half the time cars would pull out in front of you anyway.

The story also went about 2 desks too long. After the homicide desk they should have stopped but instead they continued to bring down the story with the additional desks. The arson was perhaps the worst as you hardly ever played as the person you were playing the first 4 desks. Finally the save points were in bad places - just before unskippable cutscenes, after some point where you couldn't go back, etc.

On the positive notes the combat seemed reasonable, the city was huge (a good thing since you end up driving all around it forever), the graphics were great and the acting wasn't too bad. The collectibles (especially since you couldn't easily track them) needed some work and it would have been nice if the collectibles were more than just a checkbox on your list. The city could also have been used better. As it stood I always had my partner drive just to get to the next part of the game.

I was so excited about this game but by the time I was half way through the game I was ready for it to end and not really impressed. I've never really been that impressed with Rockstar's games and from now on I'm going to strongly evaluate whether I'll purchase them. They just don't have a good track record of creating good ending and games worth playing.
  59. Mar 20, 2012
    There are many things good about this game, but there are also a lot of problems I will address. This game has the most beautiful facial animations, motion capture, and even some of the best acting in any game to date. The story is gripping, it keeps you interested, and the uniqueness of the gameplay only adds to the experience that is L.A. Noire. Sadly, this game lacks replay value in aThere are many things good about this game, but there are also a lot of problems I will address. This game has the most beautiful facial animations, motion capture, and even some of the best acting in any game to date. The story is gripping, it keeps you interested, and the uniqueness of the gameplay only adds to the experience that is L.A. Noire. Sadly, this game lacks replay value in a serious way. It really is only a mystery once; there are no options, no alternates, just the same outcomes to each case. I beat this game 100% (my second Rockstar 100% after RDR), and while I still find myself playing RDR every once in a while, I have not touched L.A. Noire since my final achievement. There is nothing left for me to do. Combine that with some tedious tasks required to get 100% completion (randomly spawning collectibles, WHY), repetitive side quests, and a few mechanical problems, this game gets an 8. I enjoyed it immensely, but there is no replay value to it at all. Rent it, beat it, return it. It is not a game I would advocate purchasing Expand
  60. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved the art and style of this title but ultimately I couldn't get into the protagonist Cole Phelps. The overarching plot involves the detective's rise in the LAPD over several years. This thread intertwines with Phelps' past in the Marines told in a series of flashbacks in the form of cutscenes. Eventually the past and present come together to define the character.

The game itself

The game itself plays as an interactive detective movie set in post-ww2 LA. PCC streetcars roll the wide boulevards as you drive to the crime scenes. I ultimately hated the car chase scenes. The controls weren't intuitive for me.

The facial technology that went into the characters while you are interrogating them was quite impressive, however I felt that this aspect of gameplay became almost like work as I tried to read body language to determine if the person was lying.
  61. Mar 11, 2012
    LA Noire takes face animation to a whole new level. LA Noire is based on true crimes that were committed in LA. You play as Cole Phelps a World War II vet searching for justice in LA. The only problem with the game is that there is not much replay involved. The only replay is you can approach different situations different ways. For example; One time you may say someone is telling theLA Noire takes face animation to a whole new level. LA Noire is based on true crimes that were committed in LA. You play as Cole Phelps a World War II vet searching for justice in LA. The only problem with the game is that there is not much replay involved. The only replay is you can approach different situations different ways. For example; One time you may say someone is telling the truth, that may be right or wrong, another time you can say they are lying. Ever decision you make goes through the mission/case differently, but by the end the result in the case is usually the same unless you have a choice on who to charge, or you compleatly screw up the case and things don't really make sense at all. The VERDICT: LA Noire is a great first time play through. Things do get repetitive, but other then that this game is one of my favorites. I'm someone who always pretends to be the cop driving around in GTA, so this game fit my needs pretty well. Expand
  62. Mar 6, 2012
    The depth and uniqueness that each case possess makes you feel like you're really part of the LAPD. Sure, you don't always have access to a gun, but in all honestly, it is not even necessary. It was exciting and interesting playing the "good guy" rather than the opposite, like in other "Rockstar" games.
  63. Mar 1, 2012
    For me, L.A. Noire is one of those games that is very hard not to like. At one point or another in our childhood, we've either wanted to be a detective or played being a detective with our friends and L.A. Noire just allows you to be one. The game has its faults but they are few and far between and nothing that would make this game bad. Driving can be a little hectic, even if you put theFor me, L.A. Noire is one of those games that is very hard not to like. At one point or another in our childhood, we've either wanted to be a detective or played being a detective with our friends and L.A. Noire just allows you to be one. The game has its faults but they are few and far between and nothing that would make this game bad. Driving can be a little hectic, even if you put the siren on, cars tend to not move, people tend to still not care. Also, things can get kind of linear at times. The side missions always involve you shooting someone whose either robbed a bank or gotten into some kind of dispute. The great things about the game is just the experience of playing as a cop. Finding clues, questioning suspects, shootouts, trying to find the right person to charge, that whole experience is brilliant. The graphics are great, the people and their facial expressions are great, overall great game. Expand
  64. Feb 29, 2012
    Ok rant time people this is not GTA yes its made by rockstar and the car driving is similar, if this was GTA it would have it in the title. OK it can be repetitive but that's only cos your a dictective, so if you find a body your gonna be looking for clues in the same way. but you dont have to follow the story there are side missions and challanges to do. I like it cos you actually have toOk rant time people this is not GTA yes its made by rockstar and the car driving is similar, if this was GTA it would have it in the title. OK it can be repetitive but that's only cos your a dictective, so if you find a body your gonna be looking for clues in the same way. but you dont have to follow the story there are side missions and challanges to do. I like it cos you actually have to use your head in this game and use deductive reasoning to achieve the right out come. More CSI than GTA. Gr8 Game Graphics with the face capture, and the o;y game that showed some guts in using new tech in 2011. Expand
  65. Feb 24, 2012
    This game was just boring as hell, AS HELL!! I was very disappointed as i was somewhat hyped about this ,but after a good hour worth of gameplay ,I just wanted to go back to my bed and take a nap. This game doesn't even get interesting until the last chapter, but by then you would have most likely given up playing this repetitve mess overall. And there is Absoulutely no build up too theThis game was just boring as hell, AS HELL!! I was very disappointed as i was somewhat hyped about this ,but after a good hour worth of gameplay ,I just wanted to go back to my bed and take a nap. This game doesn't even get interesting until the last chapter, but by then you would have most likely given up playing this repetitve mess overall. And there is Absoulutely no build up too the ending, so if you don't pay close attention, you wont know what the hell is going on torwards the end. Rockstar has already proven that a Logo on a box is not a game make with that crappy State of emergency game, so idk why people blame it on Rockstar, Blame the developers. this game was just too overhyped and idk why anyone would even consider buying the DLC for this Just to play more generic, repetitve, boring point and click missions. Expand
  66. Feb 22, 2012
    As whole the game was gripping, although I play games for the narrative, story and character dev.
    I can't really make an apt review of the game play; one point it was very repetitive.
    The biggest pro to this game is the story, I shed a manly tear.
  67. Feb 11, 2012
    There are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It wasThere are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It was not very satisfying to solve a case with one real suspect, and annoying to get it wrong for insignificant seeming little details. The controls are pretty clunky on the ground, which makes any shooting parts not particularly enjoyable. Overall it's a fun game with a good story, but I think it could have been executed a lot better. Expand
  68. Feb 7, 2012
    When i first got this i was really excited about it!. But it was one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me!. The graphics are absolutely beautiful, and the way it plays it great! same as the GTA franchis, it was the story that let me down the most. Too say the least i hated it! i have never played a game which has been as repetitive as this one (and i've played AssassinsWhen i first got this i was really excited about it!. But it was one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me!. The graphics are absolutely beautiful, and the way it plays it great! same as the GTA franchis, it was the story that let me down the most. Too say the least i hated it! i have never played a game which has been as repetitive as this one (and i've played Assassins Creed). 1st mission - investigate the crime scene, find evidence, interview some suspects, chase somebody, find out who done it...RINSE AND REPEAT!. This is basically it for each mission throughout the game. 4/10 purely because of the graphics. Expand
  69. Feb 4, 2012
    The good: the new motionscan tech, the acting, the story, the great music
    The bad: limited world, stiff body animations and modeling, limited gameplay variety.

overall - very solid game.
  70. Jan 30, 2012
    First off, this game is amazing. The detail, graphics, storyline, and gameplay are fantastic. The storyline is the best part of it all, as with every rockstar game. even if u dislike the gameplay, at least recognize the hard work that was put into making this and detail this game has to offer.
  71. Jan 1, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the BlackI was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the Black Dahlia, but I didn't like everything else you did in the game. The characters were kinda dull, especially the main character. I definitely didn't Cole and his character as he really wasn't very likable, nor could you relate to him very easily. The sandbox portions of this game were very lacking and that's especially sad coming from a company that was affiliated with Rockstar during the development of this game. Now there were some good things in this game. The well documented Motion Scan for all the facial animations was very nice and groundbreaking. However there were more bad things than good with this game for me and that's very disappointing for a game with such promise. There were some good things here that they could have capitalized on to make a tremendous game. Instead this game will forever be in the category of what could have been, along with Duke Nukem Forever. Expand
  72. Dec 20, 2011
    The interactive detective gameplay runs smoothly and becomes pretty addicting. But I think they could have gotten a bit more creative with the cases. The plots of each murder/case are supposed to tie into each other for the sake of the overall plot, but somehow that doesn't make the repetition any less painful.
  73. Dec 16, 2011
    Anyone else feel like they're actually within the game? Especially with the Dahlia Murders. This is the climax of the game. I'm not saying the rest is awful, it isn't, but this was a jewel.
  74. Dec 13, 2011
    L.A. Noire would be great if it were'nt for its repetitive nature , but it still manages to be unique in its own way . A little more variety and this could very well have been a Game of the Year contender but nevertheless , if you're looking for challenging investigations , excellent attention to detail , a " slow to kick into high gear " yet memorable story , then L.A. Noire is the game for you .
  75. Dec 6, 2011
    It starts off interesting and is good for a few hours but repetitive objectives, boring gameplay, and confusing interigation tactics leave this game's potential down for the count. It looks and sounds great and it very original and unique (something we havent seen for a while) but it gets so boring. It doesnt help that the plot to the game takes far too long to develope and it ends poorly as well.
  76. Nov 27, 2011
    This is one of the best games of the year. Everything about this game is perfect, but I have to give it a nine because there is no replay value at all. Once you beat everything, there is no reason to play the game again. I really cant wait to see what Rockstar does with this franchise in the future!
  77. Nov 26, 2011
    While it lacked some replay value and interesting side missions, it were a very nice story with an interesting anti-hero and play style. And the facial expressions are awsome.
  78. Nov 23, 2011
    OVERVIEW: I was very excited for this game, as the new genre appealed to me. Although it delivered on that part, the various other problems makes it difficult to play.

PROS: The style and feel of 1940's LA is spot on; and that is helped by the great graphics. The great graphics also deliver a new facial system which I really enjoyed. It basically takes the actors face and puts it into game, which is crucial for the lie detection system that Rockstar put into the game. The part about the gameplay that I enjoyed was the detective stuff. Searching for clues, interrogating people, etc. The story was also brilliantly told, except it was shown through the very last part of the game.

CONS: Like I just said, the great story is the last of many small stories told through various cases. Each case equals a story except for the last few cases which are connected and tell a bigger story. The game comes on 3 disks, so that is a lot of random cases that I didn't fine entertaining. The none detective gameplay involves car chases, shootings, foot pursuits, etc. This was relatively bland and got very repetitive. The only thing to do besides the main cases was answering to radio calls, which consisted of the above styles of gameplay. LA Noire was also very consistent with other Rockstar games, which for me is a bad thing.

GRAPHICS: 9 out of 10; Great visuals and cool new facial animations made it look very realistic. STORYLINE: 7 out of 10; The ending was great, but the ending began halfway through disk three.
    GAMEPLAY: 5 out of 10; Detective gameplay was unique but the rest was very repetitive and uncreative.
    LASTING APPEAL: 4 out of 10; The same thing for three disks gets pretty boring. Again, only the end made me want to keep playing.
    OVERALL: 6 out of 10

CONCLUSION: LA Noire was a great idea that just failed to deliver on the typical video game aspects. It is hard to get past this and envy the great style and feel for the game.
  79. Nov 21, 2011
    Interesting, unique, and yet lacking enough polish to give this game a higher score. Some of the missions had enough movie-going quality to warrant the title, while others were rehashed tropes of video games in the past. This game started to wear out its welcome after 30 or so hours.
  80. Nov 21, 2011
    When you get past the innovation and face expressions what you have is an average game that reminds me of the repetitive game play that was once assassins creed. It was fun half way in after that I could care less. I know its a detective story and its not GTA however picking A, B or C in the end is still A,B or C.
  81. Nov 17, 2011
    Never in my life have I felt the impulse to return a video game within the first hour of playing it. Where do I start? Yes, the facial rendering technology is amazing. Yes, I realize that L.A. Noire is more a refined, interactive story than a fast-paced video game. I bought the game knowing all these things. However, upon execution, it never lived up to the hype. The "last straw" of myNever in my life have I felt the impulse to return a video game within the first hour of playing it. Where do I start? Yes, the facial rendering technology is amazing. Yes, I realize that L.A. Noire is more a refined, interactive story than a fast-paced video game. I bought the game knowing all these things. However, upon execution, it never lived up to the hype. The "last straw" of my experience was the sluggishness of the controls. They felt slow, burdened, as if the lead character was walking through jelly. All of this is coupled with a repetitive set of investigations that failed to leave any lasting impression. At the end of the day L.A. Noire was a real disappointment. Expand
  82. Nov 15, 2011
    Impressive and unique but fails to live up to the potential. A short campaign, lame collectables, and repetitive objectives take away from LA Noire's value but its rather addicting and will keep you coming back for more.
  83. Nov 15, 2011
    When i was playing this game, it was like a 30h film. I've enjoyed too much with this game and its amazing history. 10/10 perfect game, you must buy it if you like SP amazing games.
  84. Nov 10, 2011
    All the cases are thought out, and Homicide desk is **** brilliant, with first class writing and exceptional dramaturgy. The game has a strong gallery of characters, motion capture that is out of this world and an excellent soundtrack.

Sounds like a perfect 10, does it not? It would be, If not for the insanely frustrating ending that makes love to you from behind. And I'm not talking

Sounds like a perfect 10, does it not?

It would be, If not for the insanely frustrating ending that makes love to you from behind. And I'm not talking about the good kind of backdoor lovemaking that you want to try out with your girlfriend.

You should still definitely buy the game and play it like it's golden ecstasy on fire, but - for the love of everything good and jolly in this world - don't rush it because you're expecting an epic conclusion at the end.
  85. Nov 3, 2011
    Good story line and interesting characters make this game well worth playing and the detective type role offers an unusual game playing experience on the downside the chase felon, drive to point A, chase felon, drive to point B sections get a little repetitive but still worth a play through.
  86. Oct 12, 2011
    Easily one of the best games of all time. The fact that the crime is all based on real events adds a nice realism aspect. The gameplay is really fun. It got a lot of flac at launch for not being like Grand Theft Auto, but I think that's a good thing based on what we got instead. It's only real flaws are glitches found in any other Rockstar branded game.
  87. Oct 7, 2011
    Rockstar proves that they could make a very awesome yet addictive games beside GTA. and it paid by this game.. L.A Noire. since the first time i heard and watched the trailer of this game, i'm instantly became a fan. not just that i like a challenging and "thinking" game, but i also want to see the awesome graphic (especially the facial expression of the people) in this game and RockstarRockstar proves that they could make a very awesome yet addictive games beside GTA. and it paid by this game.. L.A Noire. since the first time i heard and watched the trailer of this game, i'm instantly became a fan. not just that i like a challenging and "thinking" game, but i also want to see the awesome graphic (especially the facial expression of the people) in this game and Rockstar made an amazing job on this one. the checking of crime scene and the investigating method looks very realistic that makes u wanna become a detective after playing this game. the environment looks so amazingly great (it is represent what 1950's look like in the real life) the voice acting was so awesome and i think if Hollywood considered to make a great detective movie or another video game movie, L.A Noire could be a good one. unfortunately, this game also has a negative point such as: repetitive mission and repetitive side mission (they just change the case story) but all of that can be forget, because the game also put an interesting storyline of the main character, Cole Phelps and Jack Kelso. so if u all a fan of Rockstar games product (especially GTA) and also a detective game fan, this game is a must have. and, if u just wanna play around and try around, this game is also quite good enough to play. Expand
  88. Sep 28, 2011
    L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is.L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is. The facial animations are unlike anything in any other game and are so realistic that I can often recognize real actors/actresses as characters in the game. The one downside is that the amount of information in these animations pushes the game to use 3 discs for the XBox 360. The game's scale is certainly not equivalent to a standard game on 3 discs. At first the game totally captures the player's attention. Being a detective and actually using reasoning skills in a video game is an impressive new experience that I think needs to be further developed in the future. Unfortunately, there's one major problem with the concept: how can make a game that fits the player's ability to reason? Everyone has their own logic, and although these different reasons may be sound and true and come to the same conclusion, L.A. Niore's gameplay struggles with the problem of a linear game trying to fit a dynamic player's thoughts. Interrogations with suspects consists of analyzing the suspect's verbal and body language and deciding whether to believe, doubt, or accuse the suspect of lying. Believing and doubting are vague enough to allow for multiple ways of thinking, however the game handles accusations of dishonesty poorly IMO because it requires you to present a piece of evidence as proof that the suspect is lying. The problem is that this allows for one and only one method of thinking. Just as an example, in one investigation I found a stash of military grade morphine in the suspect's possession. When he denied it, I accused him of lying and presented the stash as evidence. Makes sense right? Sure it makes sense, but the game is programmed to accept one piece of evidence specifically, and that piece of evidence wasn't the right piece of evidence. What WAS the correct piece of evidence was another suspects accusation. Yes, they both come to the same conclusion, he's lying. However, the game only allows for one method of thinking in order to solve cases. There's a system of "intuition" points that are essentially life-lines when you come into these situations, however these one-time uses only partially solve the problem. Also, later on in the game as your cases demand you travel to more locations, it actually becomes necessary for you to visit these locations in a specific order to be able to get the right pieces of evidence by time you need them. However, there's no way to know which one you need to go to first so whether or not you get a 5-star rating will come to depend on luck. Lastly, there's no save system, which could have helped a lot to solve these issues, but as it stands the only way to load game is to restart an entire investigation which will take hours. Another problem with the game is FILLER. This game has more filler content than anything I've ever played. In the beginning when you are searching for a particular criminal, you are going to solve hours worth of cases before you make any progress whatsoever (it's hard to talk about without spoiling it). Sure the cases are interesting, but the game completely loses its sense of direction after hours of irrelevance. The open world has mixed results. It's only there as immersion and atmosphere and has nothing to do with gameplay or exploration (there are monuments you can find but that is so underdeveloped that I refuse to count that as exploration). Driving throughout the world will require that you follow the rules of the road which I just find to be more filler than fun, and any mistakes you make on the road (which I guarantee will happen because the AI drivers are atrocious) will be saved and remembered as property damages which will negatively affect your mission rating. There is, however, a way to bypass this and fast travel by telling your partner to drive instead of you. Finally, everything other than investigating is highly underdeveloped. The gunplay is absolutely terrible and boring, and car chases are linear and frustrating with unresponsive vehicle controls and terrible AI drivers. As with any rockstar-published title, there are plenty of serious and adult themes throughout the story, but unlike other titles, L.A. Noire only mentions them rather than further developing them. The game at its core experience is gold, but there are simply too many flaws standing between that golden experience and the player himself. It's easy to tell how much Rockstar Games struggled working with Team Bondi in the areas of the game that are pathetically underdeveloped, and a future title with a little more directional focus could take this concept to the stars. Expand
  89. Sep 26, 2011
    Very impressive graphics specially the facial expressions, storyline is good just like heavy ran though a bit dragging at times, tension and excitement can be felt whle playing beig one with the character so to speak. Movemes were somewhat repetitive though adequately compensated by its graphics.
  90. Sep 24, 2011
    Alot of negative reviews on this one. People need to get it in their big fat skulls that this game is not I repeat not a sandbox game its obvious that the people who hated on this game are fans of the GTA games and Red Dead redemption and expected another one of those games out of it just because it had a R* logo on it. I can't believe how narrow minded people are nowadays that they can'tAlot of negative reviews on this one. People need to get it in their big fat skulls that this game is not I repeat not a sandbox game its obvious that the people who hated on this game are fans of the GTA games and Red Dead redemption and expected another one of those games out of it just because it had a R* logo on it. I can't believe how narrow minded people are nowadays that they can't distinguish between a developer and a publisher. R* is not the developer it is the publisher Team Bondi is the developer they are the same company that made the Getaway game series last gen. And all the people who are saying that you can't do alot of things in this game it is because it is not a Sandbox game. This game is detective, crime investigation and interactive movie kind of a game the only other game that can actually be compared to it is Heavy rain the only difference is that this game gives you more freedom. As a huge fan of the detective and crime investigation having watched all these kind of shows on TV I really liked this game. All the cases are fun and have a really good and well detailed background. The cases are divided into a number of different segments in some segments you have to find clues, some segments are foot and vehicle chase sequences, gun fighting segments and the best one of them all the interrogations. The interrogations are really well done you ask someone a question and you have to tell if they are telling the truth, lying to you (by using evidence) or you can doubt on them and you can do this while looking at all the evidence you found and noted in your diary these segments are all really fantastic specially for us detective fans and your interrogations will change the segments that will play out later on in the cases, the superb acting by the cast during interrogations also adds alot of them. The chase sequences are also fun and well done. The gun fighting in the game however can get repetitive and dull at times and is not nearly as epic and fun as you see in shooters and games like GTA and RDR but they are still satisfying. The cases can get repetitive though so I would not recommend doing more than 2 cases at the time so that you can get as much fun as you can out of this game. I am a little disappointed however that some cases are really waay to short and leave alot to be desired and I also just wish that there were more cases in the actual game. The game's story which is told through a series of flash back scenes telling you more about your main characters is also very well written and interesting. The game also looks fantastic quite possibly one of the best looking games on the 360 the facial animations are super realistic, the environments are just breath taking and the animations are also very well done. The voice acting/acting is also great and realistic specially during the interrogations. The game also has a bunch of sidequests but they are far less than you would see in a GTA game or a Sandbox game, there are 40 side missions while they are fun, some of them can get repetitive and most are too short. Along with that there are landmarks and vehicles to discover and unlock but this can get boring after a while. However another problem with the game is that it is on 3 discs on the 360 the problem is not that you have to get up mid game and swap discs the problem is that if one disc gets messed up you have to buy all 3 all over again and considering how high the price is that is a really big problem. Thats why I would recommend the Ps3 version as its only on one disc and has slightly better graphics. The music in this game really suits the time period the game is set in and also suites the environments. Overall I would say L.A Noire is a great game which could have been even better if it wasn't for a few flaws. If you are a fan of the detective genre, like games which are like interactive movies and are looking for a different and unique experience when you play a game than you should definitely get L.A Noire however if you are expecting a sandbox game like GTA or Red Dead than this game is not for you. 8.5/10 Expand
  91. Sep 24, 2011
    A great man once said, "If you build it, they will come." And so it is with Rockstar: any game they put out will inevitably be purchased by me and every other 15-30 year old male who doesn't do the Buffalo Bill dance and coodle their unbearably annoying yip-yip dog.

I don't regret my purchase for it's worth it if just for the facial animations and unique game play. But alas, as you might have already heard, this game can be dreadfully boring.
  92. Sep 23, 2011
    I really wish I knew what happened to Rockstar, because GTA3 was as much fun as I've had playing a video game. it's also the last time I nad fun playing a game put out by Rockstar. Their 'games' are technically brilliant. The graphics are outstanding, the sounds are spot on they do a solid job creating environments and mood, but their games don't have the tiniest bit of fun in them.
  93. Sep 15, 2011
    A very unique take from Rockstar that focuses more on story than gameplay. The facial animation is pretty much the greatest achievement this game has ever put out and it will be an influence in future games and its implementation on interrogation is nothing short of genius. Though the story is very good, as it is a story based game, I did find the gameplay very repetitive and made theA very unique take from Rockstar that focuses more on story than gameplay. The facial animation is pretty much the greatest achievement this game has ever put out and it will be an influence in future games and its implementation on interrogation is nothing short of genius. Though the story is very good, as it is a story based game, I did find the gameplay very repetitive and made the story drag. Being a story based game, it does a very good job of making you feel like a detective and the game itself is aware of that; nothing more, nothing less but I do feel that they could have added more into the gameplay Expand
  94. Sep 10, 2011
    sure at the beginning it is fun, but after a few missions it is just so repetitive. The facial expressions are great but sometimes the world seems so fake.
  95. X11
    Aug 28, 2011
    Decent. Interesting premise. Competently done. Story was quite good at points. Rockstar voice-acting, better than most as usual. Not hoping for another in the series, however.
  96. Aug 25, 2011
    terrible....just f**king terrible. absolute garbage. You either drive or shoot or question. A linear story tantamount to watching cardboard decay. Everyone loves to hate anything successful (i.e: halo and COD franchise) and yet lord this garbage over our head calling it innovative. Its not innovative, its just lazy and bland. It boils down to an interactive movie experience with aterrible....just f**king terrible. absolute garbage. You either drive or shoot or question. A linear story tantamount to watching cardboard decay. Everyone loves to hate anything successful (i.e: halo and COD franchise) and yet lord this garbage over our head calling it innovative. Its not innovative, its just lazy and bland. It boils down to an interactive movie experience with a disappointing ending, that will leave you wanting your time and money back. Expand
  97. Aug 15, 2011
    I kept hearing all the hype about this game, but I really couldn't get a grasp for it. I really wanted to see screenshots and in-game videos. Nevertheless, I decided to jump on board and buy a copy. Unfortunately, the game lives up to its hype, but nothing else. It's great for showcasing the facial expression technology, and from the attention to detail in recreating historic L.A. isI kept hearing all the hype about this game, but I really couldn't get a grasp for it. I really wanted to see screenshots and in-game videos. Nevertheless, I decided to jump on board and buy a copy. Unfortunately, the game lives up to its hype, but nothing else. It's great for showcasing the facial expression technology, and from the attention to detail in recreating historic L.A. is impressive, but it fails to entertain me. The investigations consist of a series of multiple choice decisions that you can re-do until you get it right. The game is wholly unfulfilling as there are too many tedious activities and not enough exciting rewards. Expand
  98. Aug 7, 2011
    For the first 10 hours or so, I was convinced that L. A. Noire was about to become my favorite game of all time. The amazing scripting, graphics, and thought-provoking gameplay mixed with intense chases and shootouts felt like the perfect combination of elements had finally melded together into one perfect videogame. Then the second half rolls around, another 10 hours or so, and suddenlyFor the first 10 hours or so, I was convinced that L. A. Noire was about to become my favorite game of all time. The amazing scripting, graphics, and thought-provoking gameplay mixed with intense chases and shootouts felt like the perfect combination of elements had finally melded together into one perfect videogame. Then the second half rolls around, another 10 hours or so, and suddenly I'm wondering if I'm even playing the same game. The storyline starts jumping erratically, as if they simply had no idea what direction to take the main character, which is worsened by the fact that your main character actually changes for the last few hours of the game (during which you are limited to campaign missions and unable to explore the surrounding areas). By the end, I found myself wishing that the actual conclusion to the campaign had been at the end of the second act, with the third act cut out all together. It doesn't necessarily ruin the game, but the second half also had me noticing repetition that I hadn't been noticing when first playing. The actual gameplay has little variety and the case investigations feel like the have no impact on the story, so as far as long-term entertainment goes this might not be the best investment. I still think it's worth playing though, if for nothing else then at least to see the amazing graphics at work (seriously, it's creepy sometimes). It certainly sated my desire for an L.A. Confidential-style videogame, and while not as straightforward or as action-packed as something like Mafia II or GTA IV it can still be intense and exciting. Just don't expect to put it on your Top 10 list. Expand
  99. Aug 2, 2011
    The first 2/3 of the game are one long tutorial that finally picks up the Noir beat for the final stretch. However, the best parts end up more watched than played. Its worth playing if you're interested in games in general, and it's not bad for new gamers looking to hone their skills. Is it amazing? No. It is interesting? Yes.
  100. Jul 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimesL.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimes that can be attended at any time (all of which can be skipped if desired) but the main focus of the game is the crime scene investigation and suspect interrogation. On the surface they are both very intruiging elements of gameplay but after a few hours of them, it is clear to see there isn't much depth and that proving a suspect is lying requires one piece of concrete evidence, which can be frustrating when you have multiple items that link them to the crime, but the game says "no, it has to be the correct ONE". The well detailed facial animations are the game's highlight and really help to sell each character, unfortunately everything else just seems ot have been pushed to the sidelines. Cover and shooting mechanics feel very sluggish and will lead to many a pointless death, car handling feels like you are trying to control a shopping cart weighed down with bowling balls and there really isn't anything to do in the large an oppulent recreation of L.A. The game does the atmosphere and the detective gameplay brilliantly, it's just a shame it doesn't do the other areas of the game as well. It's also a shame that the game is a product of Team Bondi's slave driving approach to development. Expand
  101. May 17, 2011
    A revolutionary title that exceeds expectations on all levels, L.A. Noire takes a leap forward in the adventure genre, as well as the technology genre. This video game is a prime example where art influences the technology, and the technology influences the art. Its very rare when video games, or any media for that matter, pull this off effectively, but this game has. It's a new form ofA revolutionary title that exceeds expectations on all levels, L.A. Noire takes a leap forward in the adventure genre, as well as the technology genre. This video game is a prime example where art influences the technology, and the technology influences the art. Its very rare when video games, or any media for that matter, pull this off effectively, but this game has. It's a new form of game-play all together, not something many are used to, and that is why there are less than deserving reviews out there. People need to realize that this game isn't meant to build off of the past, but instead move to the future, and to be honest I like where this game is taking us. Collapse

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]