7.0

1. CodyB.
    Aug 20, 2008
    I have to say that this game is broken. I would have given it a higher score for the fundamentals of the game, but we have been seeing Madden's fundamentals for 20 years now. The adaptive gameplay does not work. My passing/catch rating was high. So what does the game do to adapt to me being good in this area. It repeatedly causes me to dro WIDE OPEN passes. If my running rating is I have to say that this game is broken. I would have given it a higher score for the fundamentals of the game, but we have been seeing Madden's fundamentals for 20 years now. The adaptive gameplay does not work. My passing/catch rating was high. So what does the game do to adapt to me being good in this area. It repeatedly causes me to dro WIDE OPEN passes. If my running rating is high. The game makes my offensive line suck at blocking. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. This is the last Madden I will buy. period! Expand
  2. wesdean
    Nov 1, 2008
    Madden 09 is honestly the best yet. the great graphics compliment the superior gameplay with better camera angles that make seeing the field much easier. however, the game is more appealing to online players than those without Live. Little has been done to Franchise or superstar modes but the new madden moments can keep players occupied. Regardless, Madden 09 is a great buy
  3. JonnyP.
    Aug 11, 2008
    terrible. Played it recently and very disappointing, graphics sloppy
  4. AlecS.
    Aug 13, 2008
    God awful AI makes this year's Madden unplayable at single player, but it does look really pretty.
  5. JohnK
    Aug 13, 2008
    This is by far the best Madden game in years, and is the first full-featured version for the next-gen systems. They have finally gotten rid of that horrible tin-can sounding radio announcer that would say the same thing over and over again, and replaced him with a very realistic broadcast presentation with great commentating from Cris Collinsworth (why not Madden is anyone's guess). This is by far the best Madden game in years, and is the first full-featured version for the next-gen systems. They have finally gotten rid of that horrible tin-can sounding radio announcer that would say the same thing over and over again, and replaced him with a very realistic broadcast presentation with great commentating from Cris Collinsworth (why not Madden is anyone's guess). The new Madden IQ difficulty setting is also a good addition, and the training room is a good way to hone your skills. Gameplay seems to be tuned to the the most realistic in years, where it is possible to both run and pass, but neither is too easy nor too hard, and the game tries to make you mix it up. Just seems more real. Probably has to do with the game' new custom difficulty adjustment (Madden IQ). And graphically, the game has made a huge improvement over the last several years (no more blurry stadiums and even more realistic looking players and turf). Overall, if you are a football fan, you will love this game. (Well, you have no other choice if you want to use real NFL teams). But not only is this a very good football game, but it is the best football video game (regardless of NFL license) to come out in years. That's right 2K fans-- Madden has finally outdone 2K5. This is quite a compliment coming from a huge fan of NFL2K5 who thought he would never get over EA buying the exclusive license and knocking 2K out of the game. Why is it that good? Graphics, gameplay and features now all beat out 2K5. If EA threw in cheerleaders, it would win in all categories. I am obviously very happy about Madden finally living up to the hype, but of course, I do believe the game would be even better if EA had to compete with 2K. We probably would have had a game of this caliber a few years ago with competition from 2K. But it's not EA's fault-- it's the greedy NFL's fault for selling an exclusive license. Anyway, this is going to be great fun for fans of football games-- we have finally gotten what we deserved-- a great, full-featured, NFL licensed game of Madden that can be highly recommended for the gameplay and not just the roster updates and exclusive NFL license. Expand
  6. DC
    Aug 14, 2008
    With no competition left in football games the Madden series has experienced a lack of innovation and creativity. The in-game options are the usual and gameplay is dull. Two things that stick out are the bad commentary and awkward in-game camera. This game doesn't excite me the way it should
  7. FritzB.
    Aug 15, 2008
    IF you told me that this is what madden would feel like in 2004 I would have laughed. It's just not good enough, and the developer isn't talented enough to bring this franchise into the future. Time to start w/ new team and all new engine. until they do, I'll completely ignore all madden related news/games. I do think head coach is cool though.
  8. Jim
    Sep 12, 2008
    When you and your friend have more fun playing the "Madden Test" drills against each other rather than playing the actual game, does that say something about how the game plays?
  9. NathanH.
    Sep 1, 2008
    I'm tired of all the complaining bout this game. The graphics are great, the online itself is good but sometimes you run into a pussy that'l quit the game cause hes gettin the cheez its beaten out of him. And to you Chris P., if you can only complete a 10 yard pass in 8 hours, then that aint the games fault, you just suck.
  10. RonH.
    Jul 28, 2008
    Makes up for what NCAA lacked, it finally is at the pinnacle where it should have been already. Game is a must own and won't be throwing it away or trading it in this year.
  11. FrankK
    Jul 29, 2008
    How can you rate it when there's nothing to compare it to? You just accept what EA has to offer this year.
  12. BoomShot
    Aug 11, 2008
    Quit hating on Madden this year's version is what we have been looking for. Don't mention 2K5 either!!! I liked that game but I am very happy of this year's Madden
  13. AaronP.
    Aug 10, 2008
    I brought this game today and i think its awesome, lived up to the hype and the best nfl game ever !!!
  14. DaveR
    Aug 12, 2008
    Things Madden 09 needs to drop: 1. Madden Test: It does not represent true football skill and simply produces a rating based on reaction time, which creates unrealistic difficulty levels. 2. Backtrack feature: Represents an arcade-based feature. 3. The players should not be walking through end zone walls during end zone celebrations. 4. Poorly timed commentary. 5. Eliminate Hammond from Things Madden 09 needs to drop: 1. Madden Test: It does not represent true football skill and simply produces a rating based on reaction time, which creates unrealistic difficulty levels. 2. Backtrack feature: Represents an arcade-based feature. 3. The players should not be walking through end zone walls during end zone celebrations. 4. Poorly timed commentary. 5. Eliminate Hammond from commentary: No emotion and a marketing tool for EA. Things to incorporate: 1. Bring back Chris Berman to perform the halftime show. This is a no brainer. Include a single season mode. 2. NCAA's offensive and defensive options to increase or decrease a quarterback's performance levels based on choosing the correct formation and the ability to focus on defensive and offensive traits. 3. More varied penalties and more realistic AI performance. The running backs should not run to the sidelines too frequently. Things to keep: Keep game play and graphics and other most other features. In the end, Madden 09 is highly polished in some areas but completely lacking polish in others. Expand
  15. FredG.
    Aug 22, 2008
    I finally did the wise thing and rented the game, rather than spend nearly $60 to find I didn't like it. EA Sports really needs to hire a different development group for their football games. The Xbox games were superb. In fact, I still play Madden NFL 07 on my Xbox every day. Conversely, I can
  16. ChrisP.
    Aug 29, 2008
    Graphics are weak especially for ps3...commentary is lame... game play is frustrating. played for 8 hrs and the best play i was able to make was a 10 yrd pass. very disappointed.
  17. Jason
    Sep 12, 2008
    I only buy the Madden games every other year, since I don't think they change enough from one year to the next to warrant purchase each year. But this year, with Madden 09, I was severely disappointed. A lot of the "improvements" EA was boasting about ended up either being disappointing or frustrating. Running in the game is a lot harder (which can be good for people who like that I only buy the Madden games every other year, since I don't think they change enough from one year to the next to warrant purchase each year. But this year, with Madden 09, I was severely disappointed. A lot of the "improvements" EA was boasting about ended up either being disappointing or frustrating. Running in the game is a lot harder (which can be good for people who like that extra challenge), the skill-building challenges in the game seemed to be "off" from Madden 07 (especially the weight-lifting drill), and the "Madden Test" which determines your skill is either ridiculously easy, or ridiculously hard. For example, the running drill has you run, but gives you the button you're supposed to press to break away (which makes anyone who is familiar with the 360 controller able to get All-Pro or All-Madden skill level, even though they're not really there...) and in some passing drills, you take the role of a linebacker in a limited range of motion (usually not beyond a couple yards from your starting position) and you have to rush the quarterback, who has a blocker and releases the ball within a couple of seconds anyway. I tried the Create-A-Superstar using both a quarterback and a running-back, and the quarterback was way more satisfying, especially since you can run for more yards as a scrambling QB than you can as a HB... But I miss the "genetics" of Madden 07 and don't like the "Type" configuration of the players either. And for the love of Pete, please get rid of the e-mails in the Create-A-Superstar mode... they're annoying and don't contribute anything to the game. Expand
  18. HenryI.
    Sep 4, 2008
    Trash, trash, trash, people need to stop supporting this crap of a game called madden. Personally, i can't wait till the day that EA Sports loses their grip on sports games and lets some competition stack up against them, but knowing the idiots that support EA Sports this won't happen. I don't understand why people buy this game year in and out, it's a damn football Trash, trash, trash, people need to stop supporting this crap of a game called madden. Personally, i can't wait till the day that EA Sports loses their grip on sports games and lets some competition stack up against them, but knowing the idiots that support EA Sports this won't happen. I don't understand why people buy this game year in and out, it's a damn football game, nothing changes except for graphics and then the fools at ea sports add a few gimmicks. The gimmick this year is the adaptability engine which is clearly broken. If you are great in running the ball, except to get nowhere in running the ball and if you are great in passing, your line won't block for you and your receivers won't catch the ball. it seems like they have taken away any kind of speed burst, thus making an already unrealistic game far more unrealistic. Every QB completes a pass or throws an int. Don't even listen to the madden fanboys, these fools aren't even true gamers since they allow themselves to let the constant lies and deception continue. What about the graphics,lol, the field never gets dirty, even when it's raining. Then there are the so called 85 new features which are mostly add ons from the previous games, now added to this yrs version. The commentary is a joke, it sounds scripted and unemotional in a game that demands the exact opposite and yet the tout this game as the greatest visual presentation, what a damn joke. The sidelines look about as dull as ever, they refuse to touch their sidelines and they won't even add an actual halftime show. It is merely a bunch of crap plays that aren't even highlight reels, one play was one where LJ ran for a mere 8 yds, hahahaha. As usual the offensive line blocking, both on passing and running, is a complete joke and yet they won't even dare fix that. To end this review, i shall simply give a word to the wise and not to the foolish ea fanboys, don't waste your cash on this game, except if you are a true football fan and tell EA Sports to shove their crappy game down their throats!!! Expand
  19. MarkV.
    Sep 9, 2008
    best madden by so far good graphics good gameplay and about time franchise mode u can switch position best improvement ever.
  20. jb
    Jan 25, 2009
    09 sucks!!! I have been playing a long time and still go back to 2002. good graphics do not always = good play. Seems like people are more interested in cool looks instead of playing a good game. in past maddens I would get into the game but 09 is the most boring game I ever played. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!
  21. MohS.
    Mar 2, 2009
    Alright, I'll be honest, this madden is an improvement, but nothing will top the 2k sports games. NBA 2k9 is way better than NBA live 09. ESPN 2k5, way better than madden 05,06,07,08,09. That is real serious. I mean it's the best nfl game out there, thats because its the only one. NCAA 09 is better than this game. I just love it because i love football, and i love smashing on Alright, I'll be honest, this madden is an improvement, but nothing will top the 2k sports games. NBA 2k9 is way better than NBA live 09. ESPN 2k5, way better than madden 05,06,07,08,09. That is real serious. I mean it's the best nfl game out there, thats because its the only one. NCAA 09 is better than this game. I just love it because i love football, and i love smashing on cats in this game. Expand
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is Madden '08 meets NFL Street. Prepare to be disappointed if your looking for the classic Madden experience.
  23. JoseR
    Aug 12, 2008
    85 amazing new features helps make this the best madden yet! You can rewind, backtrack, and do classic games! Would have been a 10 but i don't like the new receiving!
  24. UndraiF.
    Aug 13, 2008
    Man, I simply love this Game. I believe it's the best Madden ever. From the graphics, the feel, the gameplay, the works. I have no complaints whatsoever. The speed of the game is phenomenal, and playing it on HD is like...WOW!! This is truly a great buy for the Collectors of Madden... Peace.
  25. AJP.
    Aug 17, 2008
    The only reason I buy Madden is to play the superstar mode, and that has gotten even worse since last year, your player will never get the ball and when you do the camera doesn't follow you half the time, and no matter what team you play for your QB will throw at least 3 picks a game, gave it a 3 for good graphics.
  26. EugeneW.
    Aug 22, 2008
    This game fails on several levels due to many game breaking bugs and glitches in both franchise mode and online play. On franchise mode there is a game freeze bug that lockups your system. This seriously detracts from the game play.
  27. JamesL.
    Aug 25, 2008
    Only reason I play this game every year is my expectation that EA actually has people that test it. I am sure they do however, they must be idiots also. I play the franchise mode and again it freezes up after the first year of drafting. Last year (08) it was in pre-season and this year's (09) at the start of the regular season. I just don't understand why EA can't get it right.
  28. GarrettJ.
    Aug 27, 2008
    I give it a 1 just for the graphics but this game is AWFUL!!! Four straight years I have bought the game and promptly sold it. They haven't made a good game since 05' and 04' was even better than that version. Way to screw up a good thing EA Sports. And I don't care how many copies you sell, it looks like I'm going to be playing 05' until you make a decent game.
  29. CharleL.
    Aug 28, 2008
    Best madden game ever, great graphics, excellent gameplay, very realistic, the in-game camera takes some getting use to, but when you do this game is plan out great.
  30. ChrisG.
    Sep 14, 2008
    Madden has gone to the dark side. I refuse to hand them over my hard earned cash for some half baked piece of garbage. Just don't buy it. For those of you who like the series, as long as you continue to give EA your money, the series will probably never improve.

1. We're happy to report that Madden NFL 09 represents the pinnacle of the modern Madden era. [Sept 2008, p.68]
  2. Parity's finally come to Madden multiplayer, though - the new difficulty-balancing feature works great, and it allows me to finally play competitive games against better players. [Sept 2008, p.80]
  3. Madden NFL 2009 stumbles, but manages to regain its composure long enough to stiff arm critics and dive into the endzone.