5.8

1. Nov 26, 2017
    The transitional improvements if you will probably will seem more gradual to people who buy the game every year or even every other year or so. The realism it provides may even very much so impress people who owned last year's madden anyway. The bottom line is that the all new infinity physics engine works well for the most part and is arguably the most significant update or addition toThe transitional improvements if you will probably will seem more gradual to people who buy the game every year or even every other year or so. The realism it provides may even very much so impress people who owned last year's madden anyway. The bottom line is that the all new infinity physics engine works well for the most part and is arguably the most significant update or addition to the franchise in years but is no saving grace for how bland the game may seem to a casual gamer like me who is not in it for the Connected Careers mode.

Needless to say, the physics engine does more than just make the game LOOK more realistic. It makes you play football smarter and tests your reflexes like it would an actual ball carrier running up the middle of the field in between huge 350 lb offensive linemen. Offensive linemen will be in your way sometimes. It could be a matter of whether or not you react fast enough to jump over a downed defender so you don't stumble over him. This in turn makes the running game more difficult, but it's realistic and will give you more of a challenge when deciding to run the ball for gains.

What's not realistic though, which happens to make the passing game more much more difficult than it has been in previous years, is the likelihood/frequency of the interceptions in this game. On the default settings, (which is how the game is when you first buy it,) defensive backs, (and sometimes linebackers,) are SO prepared before the snap that it's as if they know where your receiver is going to run ahead of time. Even with the total control passing that was seemingly boasted about but hardly at all explained, you absolutely can NOT throw the ball over the coverage in this game. In fact, the interceptions are so common in this game that your receivers, (even with inside positioning), will sometimes deviate from their route and allow the defensive back or linebacker to step in and pick off your pass. This is no joke. I even have seen a linebacker partially move THROUGH my running back and pick off my pass which completely contradicts the new physics engine all together. Luckily for us gamers who want a much more realistic, reasonable football gaming experience, the difficulty sliders can be adjusted to your liking.

Once the game plays out how you want it to, there's not much to complain about here just in terms of gameplay. Sure, the physics engine is not visually perfect by any means, but, it's the first year for this. EA has plenty of time to polish and fix any and all bugs seen in the game such as players stomping on others after the play, ball carriers holding the ball behind their back awkwardly while being tackled, and more, like they should. Like some others have said, it's a step in the right direction.

Full disclosure, this game is NOT missing a franchise mode like some others have said. Franchise mode along with a few other features have been "funneled" in Connected Careers, where you can control a coach or player. By controlling the coach, you play out the games of the season like you normally would in previous maddens, (you just have more control over the head coach is all.)

The commentary may seem a bit repetitive for the most part, but I've played the game well over a dozen times by now probably and STILL occasionally hear Sims and Nantz say things I've never heard before. Some may complain that they may contradict each other or conflict with what just happened on the field, but, like the physics engine, it needs to be POLISHED. Don't fix what isn't broken, just polish or tune up what's working for the most part but is just shy of flawless.

is there enough to enjoy in Madden 13 that 25 shouldn't even be considered until it's perhaps half price? Maybe. What I miss from the franchise the most though is mini camp which not only lets you practice several aspects of the sport but also makes you motivated to practice well and long enough to achieve as many gold medals as possible to prove you're working to your full potential and are properly rewarded. This aspect of the game may seem mostly important to causal gamers who don't have the time to commit to a franchise/connected careers at first but may be missed by the more avid gamers as well who expect nothing less than the complete package which is missing here. EA sports puts so much effort into the gameplay that they seem to overlook the "bells and whistles" which may make the game that much more interesting and more well rounded.
  2. Jun 11, 2014
    I was expecting this to be a better game than it actually was. I dont think that it exceeded my expectations from madden 12 which basically carried over. The modes that you can play on were very neat and fun. But something was bugging me. And its just seemed as something made the game seem different.
  3. May 5, 2014
    The new engine is great... the animations are great, but that's where "great" stops. They messed up interceptions, blocking... You run into your blockers and fall over... Blockers don't block downfield who they should. The fantasy draft added in after people complained and it was half assed. I enjoyed this game, but everything besides the engine was a step back. I only played it a lotThe new engine is great... the animations are great, but that's where "great" stops. They messed up interceptions, blocking... You run into your blockers and fall over... Blockers don't block downfield who they should. The fantasy draft added in after people complained and it was half assed. I enjoyed this game, but everything besides the engine was a step back. I only played it a lot because my friends all had it and we continued our league from '12. Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    User will add words and impressions at a later time. Madden NFL 13 is the latest in the Madden franchise and is the 8th version to release on the Xbox 360.
  5. Nov 30, 2012
    1 of the richest gaming corporations in the world and still isnt even close to its potential. This rating applies to head to head and teamplay. Same outdated generic graphics, very frequent dropping of players in team player, broken announcing and repetitive announcing, very unstable EA servers, very easy to exploit online, player ratings are not realistically represented in game example-1 of the richest gaming corporations in the world and still isnt even close to its potential. This rating applies to head to head and teamplay. Same outdated generic graphics, very frequent dropping of players in team player, broken announcing and repetitive announcing, very unstable EA servers, very easy to exploit online, player ratings are not realistically represented in game example- champ bailey gets burned frequently by lower end receivers and lower end db's play amazing depending on dynamic player performance which hurts game alot. Dynamic player performance applies to all players so horrible players can be amazing and amazing can be horrible. Overall you dont really have a choice if you want a football game. It is a decent arcade like football game and certainly isnt worth 60$ but if you can get for 30$ or less its worth it only because its only NFL licensed game. Expand
  6. Nov 19, 2012
    Who ever decided to get rid of franchise mode should be fired immediately!

Who ever decided to get rid of franchise mode should be fired immediately!

Way to take a cool new concept (physics engine) and completely spoil the fun. Now in order to play significant games offline you have to play as a player, which i started a season as a QB. Its amazing how TERRIBLE the WR's are when you cannot control them, my running back never cute in the hole, and I counted 24 (yes I tallied) ... 24 drop passes in the last game without being able to control them! What a waste of my time...

On a good note, the exhibition is fun, and the players play well when i can control them... but honestly exhibition has gotten boring in only a couple days... stupid, stupid , stupid..
  7. Nov 14, 2012
    So i have waited two months to review the game. The best thing about the previous Madden games was that they were consistently unrealistic: Quarterbacks rarely or never missed open receivers, there were always money plays which were good for a first down every time, guys broke tackles when they wouldn't have in real life, and the you could always rack up 400+ yards---even playing as theSo i have waited two months to review the game. The best thing about the previous Madden games was that they were consistently unrealistic: Quarterbacks rarely or never missed open receivers, there were always money plays which were good for a first down every time, guys broke tackles when they wouldn't have in real life, and the you could always rack up 400+ yards---even playing as the Jags. The problem with this game is that its inconstantly unrealistic. In the attempt to make a more realistic game the designers made the defense almost superhuman in its abilities---almost all linebackers have 60 inch verticals and jump that high on the run, corners have superhuman catch-up speed if they are beat, and D-lineman get through offensive lines like they aren't there. To make things more complicated, any quarterback with an 85 or below rating will overthrow and underthrow constantly and nearly always throw it into the ground 6 feet in front of them if you dare to throw on the run. Luckily your defense is usually better than the computers leading to a lot of 17-10 victories. Unfortunately, the frustration of the physics and "realistic unrealistic-ness" of the game make it a lot less enjoyable than the consistently unrealistic ones of the past. Expand
  8. Nov 11, 2012
    It has been a long while but Madden 13 has successfully done it!
    Claymation! Back in all its excellence!
    It must have taken AGES to animate all of those actions, and the dough they used obviously isn't the finest money can buy but kudos to you all the same EA! Now if I could only make them squish into one another like I used to do as a kid this would undoubtedly be a fantastic step
    It has been a long while but Madden 13 has successfully done it!
    Claymation! Back in all its excellence!
    Now if I could only make them squish into one another like I used to do as a kid this would undoubtedly be a fantastic step forward for the series!
  9. Sep 5, 2012
    Alright fellas here is the dirt on this game. Much has changed with the new platform EA Sports decided to run. It all depends on weather you like change or not. The Franchise mode has integrated with the Careers mode, with these new changes comes a great learning curve so be sure you have patience if you want to make this game a good individual buy.
  10. Sep 4, 2012
    I am a giant sucker. I'm a MARK. I should have known better then to jump back on the Madden bandwagon. I resisted Madden 11 and 12 because I felt like such a dope after I bought madden 10 new which was essentially madden 7 with a fresh coat of paint. So Madden 13 stinks and I wanted it to be awesome. I wanted to love this new franchise / connected career thing that hey have this year but II am a giant sucker. I'm a MARK. I should have known better then to jump back on the Madden bandwagon. I resisted Madden 11 and 12 because I felt like such a dope after I bought madden 10 new which was essentially madden 7 with a fresh coat of paint. So Madden 13 stinks and I wanted it to be awesome. I wanted to love this new franchise / connected career thing that hey have this year but I cant stand it. Its frustrating and feels lifeless. You feel disconnected because you cant really do anything in it except play your scheduled games. No NCAA draft, trades are imposable, you can pick up free agents too improve your team but most of the free agents are dogs so good luck with that. Forget about editing / creating players or a fantasy draft because it doesn't exist in this steaming mess. The news ticker twitter feeds dont help. The game looks as bad on the field as it does in the menus so at least its consistent I guess. Then you have the players who flop around like idiot vertigo inflicted rag dolls. The trading card deal is not enjoyable at all for me. Probably because I got lame cards with all back up players. I'm supposed to enjoy fielding a team full of back up players? I cant stand Phil Simms or Jim Nantz in real life but they are even more annoying in madden advertising lousy pizza delivery 3 times a game. I live in Brooklyn I'm not eating mother f***ing Domino's pizza we have real pizza here. Domino's pizza? get the f*** out..... Listen, do yourself a favor this year, skip Madden 13 and stop eating Domino's pizza. Seriously, they both suck and one of them will make you fat. Expand
  11. Sep 4, 2012
    Best Madden to date, that does not mean it comes without its flaws. The new Infinity Engine is the future of Madden. The engine provides so many unique hits it makes the game hard to play because I always want to watch the replays! Once EA can clean up the stumbling players after the plays it will be amazing. This does not hinder the game play just looks silly. Connected Career Mode (CCM)Best Madden to date, that does not mean it comes without its flaws. The new Infinity Engine is the future of Madden. The engine provides so many unique hits it makes the game hard to play because I always want to watch the replays! Once EA can clean up the stumbling players after the plays it will be amazing. This does not hinder the game play just looks silly. Connected Career Mode (CCM) is the shining star of this game. Franchise mode? Play as a Coach in CCM. Superstar Mode? Play as a player in CCM. Like playing online franchise? Then this is your holy grail. Online Career mode has so many new features including the maddencareer.com website which lets you link your phone to allow real time updates on your Online career.

Everything in this game looks and feels new. Saying that, when you tear something down and build new you have to deal with some kinks. This game has some hang ups keeping it from being perfect. Imported Draft Classes have been removed. For the past few years that feature has been broken. I am okay with them taking this feature out as long as it resurfaces soon and in working order.

Fantasy draft also was left out of the party. With the new Story line feature this year there was no way to include both. Story lines are super immersive so this is another okay move. In my opinion the biggest flaw is the inability to move a player from one position to another. Something done so often in the NFL is not able to be done in this game this year. No editing is in this game at all. There is reasoning behind this. Editing would totally break the new XP system in career mode. XP is the newest, and surprisingly fun, way to progress your players. There are tons of great things about this game and it is surprisingly fun to play online this year. I feel like this game is on the brink of being perfect. I will have fun with it while keeping my eyes forward on '14.
  12. Aug 31, 2012
    This is a funny year indeed especially for football.The NCAA football 13 wasn't bad but in comparison to previous NCAA football games especially 11 &12 it doesn't stand up.Now madden comes out as a trick yes a trick.Bells and whistles everywhere trying to to cover up the final product that is by far less of a football experience then I've seen in years.The new Infinity engine is like i amThis is a funny year indeed especially for football.The NCAA football 13 wasn't bad but in comparison to previous NCAA football games especially 11 &12 it doesn't stand up.Now madden comes out as a trick yes a trick.Bells and whistles everywhere trying to to cover up the final product that is by far less of a football experience then I've seen in years.The new Infinity engine is like i am playing Madden 09 all over again but with better graphics.EA you can't get professional football right, not the final product by any means, just an arcade game that is trying to say so many things but talking in circles in the end,why do you think review companies are still bringing the comparison to ESPN NFL 2K5.Look not me,read the review for the ps3 version of madden 13 and the comparison is right in the review.The only 100% so that is pretty pathetic and this game is truly a waste of money but for you fan boys and hardcore football buffs,I'm sorry this is the only choice you get but you guys know the truth.2K gets basketball perfect not semi or so so but perfect.Sony gets baseball perfect,EA your running in circles trying to achieve what 2K has gotten but you'll never get there,just give it up and stick with your hockey and soccer cause those are what your getting right and I commend you on that but your college football the last couple of years has been amazing but 13 was a let down and for this a 6 and not a bit more,it's truly a shame Expand
  13. Aug 30, 2012
    One reason I am giving this game a 6, it really feels about 60% complete. That other 40% would have made for a much better game.

I have read ALOT of User Reviews on this game. Many are way off-base. What is really sad here, is that the Base Gameplay, really is not all that bad. And, if you have a really good HD Set and use an HDMI Cable, the graphics are really beautiful. (I have an old 360 with a component cable connected to an LG LCD and a new 360 with an HDMI cable connected to a newer LG LED tv. HUGE difference.) Incorrect comments I have seen:
    Cannot Edit Players - Wrong, yes you can, but you need to do it prior to starting Career.
    Cannot change Uniforms - Wrong, the option is provided prior to starting the game, you cannot create uniforms and save them from my experience.

There are alot of things I do not like about Madden 13, but the most prominent, INEXCUSABLE is the severly LACKING Presentation. No halftime show (what?), no postgame show (what, what?), make for one boooring snoozefest.

Beyond that, my biggest complaint is that, while there is a Franchise/Career Mode, you cannot control the return of Past Greats? Old players, old coaches, etc. Why?

I really really wish you did not have to make the extra inputs to move your line, make adjustments, etc. There have been good control setups to do this for years, why not just use one that is already good.

Here is the small stuff: Practice - boring and time consuming, only for the most hardcore, kicking is too zoomed out and I swear the resolution is terrible, no Camera Controls? (really?)

I honestly like the Graphics and the Gameplay is really pretty good!

It is really pretty sad, this COULD have been a great game, but it is not. It is not worth your money. Rent it, try it first, and if you can live with all of the shortcomings (?) go out and buy it.
  14. Aug 29, 2012
    Another year has passed and another moderate Madden game was released to us. Changes that EA has advertised wasn't nearly enough to gain back the trust of all hardcore football fans. For starters the physics engine got a bit of a face lift and some new animations were thrown in too but encounters glitchy game play (example: body parts bend and twist in weird ways). The problem is that youAnother year has passed and another moderate Madden game was released to us. Changes that EA has advertised wasn't nearly enough to gain back the trust of all hardcore football fans. For starters the physics engine got a bit of a face lift and some new animations were thrown in too but encounters glitchy game play (example: body parts bend and twist in weird ways). The problem is that you can see that it's the early signs of a working in progress idea that might or might not succeed and we are the ginnie pigs, which doesn't sit well with me as it seems to me we continue to do this dance every few years with EA. Other new ideas are, new connect career which basically took out franchise mode and allows you to play offline or online as a player or coach. Personally I liked the old franchise mode but I've accepted this new idea and rolled with it. Graphics got tweaked again but no significant changes were added. The commentary once again got changed instead of evolved. It has two new voices (Nance & Sims, CBS crew) and has really not changed the way they say the same things generally and spout off wrong words at important times during game play. Presentation now looks like the CBS Sunday football presentation. Nothing special just more flash from EA instead of quality content of depth. There are some good things from all of this. The Career mode now have tweeter (fake of course) included, with tweets by football experts in your season. Oh and yes the rosters were updated.... Folks this game is an improvement from last years game but has a long way to go if it wants to be considered a quality football game that scores higher than 7. Expand
  15. dz9
    Aug 29, 2012
    This years Madden comes with a lot of signs of game mechanic improvements that serve as double sided swords which must be improved in next year's installment or in patches and with a bare bones career system. Let's start with the gameplay. The new Infinity engine is an excellent addition that finally made it to madden. I try to be understanding with it, being its first showing, it doesThis years Madden comes with a lot of signs of game mechanic improvements that serve as double sided swords which must be improved in next year's installment or in patches and with a bare bones career system. Let's start with the gameplay. The new Infinity engine is an excellent addition that finally made it to madden. I try to be understanding with it, being its first showing, it does well.. but too often it results in ridiculous player collisions, and although it does work solid sometimes... The whole promise that it revolutionizes collisions and that you have to "fight for every yard" is a lie. Where a few interactions and the overall controlling feels fresh, the plays still run 95% the same as previous titles. Being generous to the new engine, the gameplay gets a 8.2/10. The presentation this year is where the game truly excels. I don't really ever care about graphics cause I don't believe them to be the key in a video game but Madden 13 truly does blow you away, the only downsides from the presentation is the overuse of the blur effect. 9.5/10 for the presentation. Career modes: The new "Connected Careers" is a nice thought and all but in the end feels half finished and bare boned. You can play as a player (Legend Mode) or coach (Franchise Mode). Legend mode carries the redundant upgrade system from NCAA 12-13 with only slight improvements. Practice mode still feels tacked on and not strategic despite the scenario system. It doesn't feel like your really prepping for your opponent but just playing a half thought mini game. Instead of upgrading the play style selection and making it more edgy or smart... EA has decided to give you the option to open the whole play book which again is only unrealistic, untrue to the game, and half finished. Franchise mode is everything you have came to love but integrates it into the perspective of a coach, a nice touch, and gives you more options to progress your players and is awesome to play online. However, connected careers overall feels disconnected with the rest of the game. To use one example.. you can't import your personalized rosters like created players into it. Careers gets a 3.7/10. Last effect: This game fails at substantiating itself in career modes unless you play online... the gameplay is overall so much better but the career modes are obviously built for online players that they forgot to make it fun for people playing offline. If you like offline modes, you will be extremely frustrated with Madden 13. Last Effect: 4/10... In the end: Madden 13 gets a 6.4/10. Expand
  16. Aug 29, 2012
    Franchise Mode has NOT been removed. Please do not listen to everyone who obviously failed to properly look at the game before posting their review. Franchise Mode has been relocated under "Connected Careers" along with Superstar Mode, hence "Connected" careers. Create a coach to play Franchise Mode, or create a player to play Superstar Mode. EA has said many times that franchise is theirFranchise Mode has NOT been removed. Please do not listen to everyone who obviously failed to properly look at the game before posting their review. Franchise Mode has been relocated under "Connected Careers" along with Superstar Mode, hence "Connected" careers. Create a coach to play Franchise Mode, or create a player to play Superstar Mode. EA has said many times that franchise is their most popular mode; They would not, and did not, remove it. Expand
  17. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is nothing spectacular. The new collision system is pretty cool, WHEN it works correctly. Most of the time it just results in ridiculous looking player collisions, players falling over each other while getting up from tackles, and legs bending the wrong way. It is harder to tackle, so if you have good stick skills you can really get extra yards. The game is fun, my reviewThis game is nothing spectacular. The new collision system is pretty cool, WHEN it works correctly. Most of the time it just results in ridiculous looking player collisions, players falling over each other while getting up from tackles, and legs bending the wrong way. It is harder to tackle, so if you have good stick skills you can really get extra yards. The game is fun, my review isn't meant to be negative, it just feels, as usual, that they didn't really change much. Out of the box, I played it and was running the same plays as last year, with the same results, and crushing the computer. It took 0 time to adjust to 13. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms are a welcome addition. It's great to not have to hear Cris Collinsworth anymore. Overall, it's Madden, and it's always fun, but, if you were expecting groundbreaking changes, you may be disappointed. It's essentially, as usual, a 59.99 roster update. Expand
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    Changes to the physics are welcome even if they're unpolished. Very unnatural movements occur every play. I can definitely see the potential of the new engine despite players bouncing around in ways that defy physics. game play alone I would rate madden a 8. The main issue I have is the horrible trading system and no way to edit rosters in career mode. The new progression system is aChanges to the physics are welcome even if they're unpolished. Very unnatural movements occur every play. I can definitely see the potential of the new engine despite players bouncing around in ways that defy physics. game play alone I would rate madden a 8. The main issue I have is the horrible trading system and no way to edit rosters in career mode. The new progression system is a pretty cool idea but it seems extremely unbalanced as far the points awarded per player. Overall I think the game play has potential to be excellent in a couple years. This definitely isn't just a roster update but the new additions don't outweigh stripping down previous features that are beloved my many. Expand
  19. Nov 30, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game...I really did, but it's impossible. They took out franchise mode...yeah really...they took out the most popular feature with consumers who buy the product year after year, well done EA! Still same problems with game play with psychic DBs, but now the RBs slam into their o-linemen and fall down like they've been shot. Also on tackles everyone around theI really wanted to like this game...I really did, but it's impossible. They took out franchise mode...yeah really...they took out the most popular feature with consumers who buy the product year after year, well done EA! Still same problems with game play with psychic DBs, but now the RBs slam into their o-linemen and fall down like they've been shot. Also on tackles everyone around the ball falls down in a bazaar fashion almost always with their legs tucked under them like kids do in Pop Warner. Since EA continues to have exclusive rights (through 2014 now) to names and likenesses of NFL players and Coaches no other gaming company will ever push them into making a better product. Please save your money and rent this turd before buying it. Collapse

1. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Nov 16, 2012
    We can't wait to see what next year holds. [Dec 2012, p.97]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Madden 13 marks a vast improvement over the past few Maddens. The first one in a while. [Dec 2012]
  3. Games Master UK
    Oct 24, 2012
    A good pick-up for sports fans who like a side-order of tactics with their neck-snapping violence. [Dec 2012, p.90]