7.1

1. Jul 5, 2012
    The only MTG available on console, so, if you like MTG, it's all you can get. It's not bad, but definitely leaves hard core players unsatisfied. The big issues, for me, are the controls, which could use some refining, automatic land quantity assigned (STILL!), lack of deck customization, and it still has a few glitches. With the deck customization, they still need more card choices forThe only MTG available on console, so, if you like MTG, it's all you can get. It's not bad, but definitely leaves hard core players unsatisfied. The big issues, for me, are the controls, which could use some refining, automatic land quantity assigned (STILL!), lack of deck customization, and it still has a few glitches. With the deck customization, they still need more card choices for better customization, as even with the starting 10 decks most players end up with almost identical decks (everyone is playing the best choice with each color). So, I am not saying I need it to be like MTG on PC, but at least give us the entire core set of 2013 to make our decks from. Either way, if you want to play MTG on your 360 it is still decent, but still falls short of being great. Expand
  2. Sep 13, 2012
    There is a lot of complaining by critics that MTG 2013 for Xbox should allow you to build your own decks. I disagree. My assumption (and who knows if this would actually happen) is that if MTG allowed deck building, people would just go on the internet, google "best MTG 2013 deck builds," and find the best of the best decks, the ones that are so good it's unfair. They'd find the bestThere is a lot of complaining by critics that MTG 2013 for Xbox should allow you to build your own decks. I disagree. My assumption (and who knows if this would actually happen) is that if MTG allowed deck building, people would just go on the internet, google "best MTG 2013 deck builds," and find the best of the best decks, the ones that are so good it's unfair. They'd find the best one-on-one, two-headed, free-for-all, and planeswalker decks, and then use those. Casual gamers (like myself) who would enjoy experimenting with different builds and strategies, would be stuck having our butts handed to us by the same decks, the same strategies, over and over and over again, by hardcore gamers. Plus you'd get the "noob" gamers, with little knowledge of magic, whose decks would be so bad they'd ruin the fun.

I'm sure most hardcore MTG fans would relish the opportunity to build and to fight against the best of the best, but wouldn't it get boring seeing the same decks taken from internet searches, and knowing that the guy/gal you're playing against may have no real interest or creativity in deck building - he's just running the same thing everyone else is?

Perhaps I've got this 100% wrong. I've never played MTG for PC, perhaps it allows you to deck build and it works perfectly. And I do realize that free and open deck-building might produce some really awesome decks, and learning new ideas from playing with other people could be really fun. I guess, thinking more from WotC's perspective, they'd alienate too many casual gamers with that much freedom. Maybe I'm wrong.

1. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Aug 18, 2012
    Another fun installment, but it's all starting to feel a little too predictable. [Issue#88, p.82]
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Aug 12, 2012
    A better way to learn how to play. [Sept 2012, p.102]
  3. Jul 25, 2012
    With that being said, the game is good, it is very good and would be a perfect start to a player's introduction into a cards battle game, and the world of Magic the Gathering. It has plenty of challenges to throw at experienced players and enough here to teach newbies to defend themselves in deck combat.