6.8

1. Jun 6, 2013
    It takes a bit to get used to, but MLB 2K11 is yet another successful and good sports game released by 2K Sports. For me, the My Player mode seals the deal. It's fun, not nearly as aggravating as NBA 2K11's.
  2. Sep 1, 2011
    Still a good game, but ABSOLUTELY not worth $59.99 for MLB 2k10 owners in the US. Same exact thing, but just recolored from blue-ish to yellow on the main menu. Bad online gaming also makes this game a very average game this year for Baseball fans
  3. May 22, 2011
    First of all, lets clear something up. Yes there are two baseball games available for the xbox 360, the other being The Bigs 2 also made by 2KSports. Thought the two couldn't be more different. The Bigs 2 offers baseball fans a very easy arcade version of the sport, where as MLB2K11 offers fans of the sport the perfect version of baseball, how it should be made.

I'll be honest with you,
    if your a baseball fan (and I know there not many here in the UK) and I am, this is the best baseball game ever made for the xbox 360 and at present the only baseball game you'll need. If your owner of the PS3 then your've MLB The Show, but for us xbox 360 owners, we've MLB 2K11 and I know its on the PS3 also.

Lets get to the nitty gritty. I'll be brief here. There are no arcade elements in this great game thankfully, pitching is easy and brilliant, batting is again brilliant, fielding is very well done and easy to do, the graphics are sublime, all the 30 MLB stadiums have been beautifully recreated to make you think your actually there. The players are ok graphically, nothing like fifa, but then you have thousands more players in baseball than football. In short if you like baseball and your an xbox 360 owner then this is for you. An absolute must buy. Though a major negative, the availablity is a little on the short side if you wanna purchase this baby here in the UK, amazon currently sell it at shy under £50, which in my eyes is daylight robbery (though its not actually amazon selling it, its a sub shop if you know what I mean), so the place to buy this bad boy is ebay.com, I bought mine from iCyberstore as a guide, they take about two weeks to deliver and it comes from Hong Kong, but don't fear, it does work on UK consoles, oh and it only costs a shy under £30 which I think is perfect, just like the game. Happy gaming!!!
  4. May 11, 2011
    Glitchy, Graphics not all that great (this is a 360 game??), boring and takes too long to progress. MyPlayer for example takes painfully long to progress anywhere even if you are "killing it". Overall disapointed. The online is not bad, I had a lot of fun with that, but its hard to convince any of my friends to pick up a baseball game so its actually not all that great in perspective. I am used to The Show for the ps2 and this game is a lot more challenging but in a bad frustrating way. Overall do not get this game if you are critical of graphical errors and glitches, and make sure you have a lot of time on your hands and really really love baseball, but even then the time you put into does not reward you back as well as it should. NBA 2k11 is an A+ this is a D+ just barely getting by, but the potential is there. Collapse
  5. Apr 28, 2011
    This game should have never even passed submission. Game froze on me the first night I had it. Gameplay is awful. Bud Selig sucks and so does MLB 2k11
  6. Apr 7, 2011
    Minor League 2K11. This game makes so many errors there's no way it would make it to the Majors! Injured players sometimes sit on the field, and never move. Rob a homer, it's an out AND the points are awarded! Freezes constantly, if I try to play a second game without restarting my system it will guarantee a freeze up. When you need to get rid of the ball quickly, such as a double play or throwing out a runner from the outfield, your guys take their sweet time like they are all Manny Ramirez. Turning doubles into triples is easy because the AI cutoff man will hold the ball if you start running from second before he gets it. Stealing bases is stupidly hard. Shadows look terrible, players look ok. I want so bad to like this game, but every game something pops up to ruin it for me. I would rather lose every single game of the season with a great game than win all of them with silly senseless bugs.

The game is so bad I almost want to trade in my 360 and all 15 games JUST to get a PS3 with The Show 11, and if it wasn't for Gamestop giving next to nothing for a 360 I would do it.
  7. Apr 4, 2011
    Pitching is a blast. My experience so far is a bit short and mixed. Started with an online match with a relative overseas and it was unplayable, we quit after 3 innings. Too much pitching lag. Granted we were halfway across the globe from each other. (US and Singapore). Then I started a "my player" career. It's pretty fun and should be rewarded as I see it through. Seems identicle to "Road to the Show" mode in Sony's PS3 game. Then I drafted a franchise and started the season only to have the game lock up on me and freeze my Xbox. Techsupport has not responded to me in 6 days on that issue. Then I started a franchise with the Cincinnati Reds and had a good time setting the team up and playing the frist game. I lost, Prince Fielder hit 2 3-run HRs off me. Then I played a game of the "MLB Today" mode, CWS vs. CLV opening day. That was fun too, I won on Konerko and Dunn HRs and Buerrle was lights out. So like I said, very mixed. 2 bad experiences, 2 good experiences and a bad tech support experience. I won't comment on graphics/stutter and minor bugs. They are well documented in the MLB2K forums and likely will be fixed with a future patch. . Expand
  8. Mar 18, 2011
    This is a fun game but ultimately way too many bugs and glitches. The pitching is pretty much the same as 2k10 which is actually NOT an improvement over 2K9. In my opinion, the game make it far to difficult to throw a decent pitch, particularly cutters or two seam fastballs. Hitting is okay if sporadic. I can't seem to get the directional hitting to work at all. The player animations are good if uninspired and the anonuncers are actually of the best parts of the game. The defensive animations are a big improvement over earlier years but you still have WAY TOO MANY GLITCHES with catching EASY pop ups or throwing to a base. I am holding out hope that 2K will fix these issues with a patch or two. Other than the glitches and bugs (one that really grinds my gears is when you're getting ready for an online game and the song that is play starts over 3 or 4 times), this is an improvement over 2k10 but I miss the smooth pitching and hitting from 2k9. Overall this game gets a low 7 until they patch this thing up. AND THEY BETTER PATCH IT !! Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2011
    MLB 2k11 may not of undergone an entire facelift from last year's game, however, for this reason I find it to be one of the top games currently on shelves. The new Dynamic Player Ratings will give the player a greater feel for the game for the game will be in tune with what trends are occurring in the MLB Season. Gameplay itself has also become much more realistic. No longer can you paint the strike zone with a pitcher who's rating is poor, and bullpen pitchers cannot go through extremely long outings to close a game. The only drawback (a slight one) is that the commentary is not emotional and exciting enough. The lines are well written and give great insight to the game/situation, however, often does the tone of voice detract from the exciting of a bases loaded jam or striking out the side. All things considered, this game continues to improve and make great strides to make improvements. This game is not perfect, but it is great, and worth all the money and hours you invest in it. Expand
  10. Mar 13, 2011
    -From my blog, 47Reviews.BlogSpot.com-

Finally - Major League Baseball 2K11 has been released, and to me, this is when the road to Opening Day seems less torturous. Is MLB 2K11 better than 2K Sports's past iterations? Read on to find out, or skip to the end for the TL;DR version.

[I should note that I have not played many 2K games the past few years. The last MLB 2K game I played
    frequently was 2K7. I played 2K8, 9, and 10, for very short periods of time.]

Graphics: 3.75/5 Initially, I found MLB 2K11 to be extremely underwhelming graphically. After playing about 5 games in different stadiums and getting a chance to immerse myself in the game, I'm actually fairly impressed. Regardless of that, I'll talk about the low-points first - I'm disappointed that 2K Sports has still not fixed the robotic/glitchy/snap-motion movements. I'm not SURPRISED none of that has really been patched up, but it's a shame - it really takes away from the experience, and just gives you constant reminders you're just playing a game. Another downfall for me would have to be the shadows on the players - they seem jagged and extremely unrealistic. On the field though, the shadows look pretty good, and the fact that the sun moves during games is a fantastic feature, as it affects the game quite a bit when the shadow creeps between home plate and the pitcher's mound. With all the criticism, you're probably wondering how I could score the graphics a 3.75. I'll tell you why, though - there are a couple big reasons. First of all, although the shadows on the characters are a HUGE bummer, the uniforms look really nice, and some of the character models are spot on. While lesser known players, like say, Brennan Boesch or Alex Avila of the Detroit Tigers, look nothing like their real-life counterparts, (understandable, as they can't very well face scan all the MLB players.) the likes of marquee players like Derek Jeter, Roy Halladay, Justin Verlander, among many, many others, look very well done. The second reason I score this as I did is that I REALLY like the menus in this game, whether it's the in-game pause menu, or at the main menu - not too busy, pretty clean, and just very well laid out. 2K11's got nothing on The Show as far as in-game graphics, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Sound: 4/5 Gary Thorne, Steve Phillips, and John Kruk offer commentary in MLB 2K11, and do it quite well. In my opinion, Gary Thorne has one of the best voices for a baseball game, so for him to do MLB 2K11 was really great. While this isn't necessarily a comparison review between MLB 2K11 and MLB 11 The Show, the commentary in this game blows The Show out of the water. It's more interesting, and just seems more real and enthusiastic. The soundtrack in this game, as well as in many sports games I've played, is actually quite good, featuring some really nice songs from bands I hadn't really listened to - like We Are Scientists - and ones I had never even heard of, like Trenchtown, whose "Unpaid Holiday" is probably my favorite of them all. Other artists that offer their tracks include Pearl Jam, Pat Benetar, among others. There aren't very many songs on the track list, but the vast majority are nice choices.

Fun: 3.75/5 It's quite hard for me to score MLB 2K11 - it's really somewhere between a 3.75 and 4 rating (7.5 and 8). Seeing as how there is such a lack of polish and the game costs $60 and lacks any real new features causes me to give it the 3.75. Sure, they added the Dynamic Player Rating system, which makes the real-life players' performance effect the in-game players', is pretty cool, but that's not going to happen until the season starts, and that's about the only significant new feature added to 2K11. It's not at all a bad game, but it could really be a lot better. Whatever happened to setting concession prices in sports games? Sure, maybe many people thought it was lame and gimmicky or whatever, but I actually enjoyed things like that. Why do the players have to be so jerky and glitchy and botch plays that should quite easily be made? 2K Sports got a lot right with MLB 2K11, but they also could have done a lot more. For $60 every year, you expect something really new, and there isn't much here. My Player - keep in mind, haven't played much in the past - is fun and all, but the fielding (at least in the outfield, haven't tried anywhere else) is just awkward due to the camera angle, and the base running is an absolute chore. Basically, MLB 2K11 is nothing that will blow your mind. Is it better than recent MLB 2K games? In my opinion, yes, but not much better, so don't expect MLB 2K11 to be the greatest baseball game you have ever played.

3.75/5

+: Commentary, soundtrack, graphics grow on you - somehow, Dynamic Player Rating System, pretty solid baseball game.
    -: Nothing special, STILL glitchy and buggy in many areas, injuries seem way too frequent.
  11. Mar 10, 2011
    The learning curve is a little harsh. Baserunning and feilding can be a bit wonkey. Overall im enjoying the game, and can feel the improvements in the gameplay. Im just scratching the surface, but im having a good time learning the game.
  12. Mar 9, 2011
    Definitely a big improvement over MLB 2K10- which was a huge improvement over the mistake that was MLB 2K9, so it's safe to say that the 2K series of baseball is finally coming into it's own. Right off the bat "no pun intended" you will see a big step up in the visual department from last years outing, player models look much better as well as the smoothed out textures in the stadiums and crowds. Commentary is once again the best in current sports titles with Kruk leading the way with endless baseball stats, My Player mode has seen a nice boost in several departments- as well as some much needed fine tuning on the pitching-batting-and fielding controls/interfaces. It's not yet up to the standards of Sony's MLB The Show series but 2K11 is definitely a solid game of baseball. Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2011
    Pitching is improved, fun, challenging. Base running and fielding quite competent. Hitting is average to good, could use more directional play. I want to be able to point to where I'm trying to hit, but do like the defensive swinging. Player renderings are better, which means good enough now, stadiums and fans excellent, broadcasting is stellar. Rosters are updated to the minute. That's baseball folks. In a nutshell, the game is now worth your time and money . Dig in. Expand
  14. May 11, 2011

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Major League Baseball 2K11 has the fortunate (for 2K) distinction of being the only Xbox 360 baseball game, and one of just two on the PS3. However, it has the dubious distinction (for gamers) of being the one sports game this year that fans should absolutely avoid. If that means taking a year off of baseball, I definitely advise taking that vacation.
  2. Aug 29, 2011
    2K chose to focus on the basics with Major League Baseball 2K11, without trying to innovate too much. But the result remains a simulation-oriented game that works really well, blessed with excellent production values, a great atmosphere, and an ergonomic management system for the teams. It still lacks the fresh and innovative ideas to become the definitive Baseball simulation that will shower your living-room with action-packed games.
    Not very welcoming but presented well. [Sept 2011, p.101]