Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360

8.9

1. icecream
    Feb 12, 2010
    This game is a 15 out of 10. Maybe some will give it a 12 out of 10 or even a 10 out of 10 but anything less than that is insulting. You should be smacked in the face and your gaming license revoked. There is not a game that comes close to the incredible star power voice acting, the incredible graphics, characters, and engaging story. If you dont give it a 10 out of 10 ask yourself why do This game is a 15 out of 10. Maybe some will give it a 12 out of 10 or even a 10 out of 10 but anything less than that is insulting. You should be smacked in the face and your gaming license revoked. There is not a game that comes close to the incredible star power voice acting, the incredible graphics, characters, and engaging story. If you dont give it a 10 out of 10 ask yourself why do I own a video game machine? Is it time to find a new hobby? Because its not the game ITS YOU. Expand
  2. Chris
    Feb 3, 2010
    I've seen people rating it low for running too slow, but you can actually sprint in the game, lolwut? Yeah, lrn2play people. Also the first ME1 wasn't nearly as great as ME2, ME1 was lagging, if you were to fight more than one person you'd lag everywhere, the DLCs in ME1 showed that. The Mako in ME1 was annoying, and if people are saying ME1 is better, they don't know I've seen people rating it low for running too slow, but you can actually sprint in the game, lolwut? Yeah, lrn2play people. Also the first ME1 wasn't nearly as great as ME2, ME1 was lagging, if you were to fight more than one person you'd lag everywhere, the DLCs in ME1 showed that. The Mako in ME1 was annoying, and if people are saying ME1 is better, they don't know anything. If you don't like the shooter type of gamestyle for those RPG fans, become an adept, use your powers to throw people, slam, or knock people over. People also complaining about audio level? Lol, learn to press start and go to options and make the music lower? And it's thermal clips so the gun can reload faster when it overheats. In ME1, when it overheated, it took forever to get it back to normal. Collapse
  3. CraigB.
    Jan 26, 2010
    One of the best games of all time - BioWare have truly outdone themselves. A remarkable achievement in game design and one that will be remembered for years to come. This game hails the moment when next generation truly began. Simply incredible.
  4. JohnH.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Improved over the first Mass Effect in every way. It is just a beautiful RPG with gorgeous characters and an enveloping story that will make your wait for Mass Effect 3 even more painful. Possible Game of the Year in January? We will see but it will definately be in the running. My score for Mass Effect 2 is a 9.75, because it does have a couple of minor flaws like the mining for precious Improved over the first Mass Effect in every way. It is just a beautiful RPG with gorgeous characters and an enveloping story that will make your wait for Mass Effect 3 even more painful. Possible Game of the Year in January? We will see but it will definately be in the running. My score for Mass Effect 2 is a 9.75, because it does have a couple of minor flaws like the mining for precious metals mini game. However it takes nothing away from the experience and you will be thining of the charachters and decisions you made even while not playing. Expand
  5. Aug 12, 2010
    Wait i just found out that it has no online. That doesn't matter but it would be better if it had online. I like Mass effect and the way that it changes the ending is very good but i thought the game would change more than the ending.
  6. Aug 30, 2015
    Mass Effect 2 is the great game that the first game should’ve been but wasn’t. The well written and memorable party members, planets that have stories on their own, and side quests that greatly enrich the game and not feeling like padding that were present in KOTOR are back here. The game also fixes the issues the first game simplifying combat and inventory and removing tedious roverMass Effect 2 is the great game that the first game should’ve been but wasn’t. The well written and memorable party members, planets that have stories on their own, and side quests that greatly enrich the game and not feeling like padding that were present in KOTOR are back here. The game also fixes the issues the first game simplifying combat and inventory and removing tedious rover missions. Mass Effect 2 deserves all the praise it can get as it is truly a great example of good game. The massive amount of content combined with the replay value of different story paths creates a game that is worth the full price and will keep you busy for a while. Mass Effect 2’s improvements, expansions, and refinements creates a game so good and so polished that makes it impossible to go back to the first one. Fans of the first game should pick this up and even ones who weren’t fans of the first one feeling it wasn’t up to par with KOTOR will be pleasantly satisfied. The only challenge this game faces going forward is what to do for a sequel since I cannot see them improving the game anymore than they already have. Nonetheless, when the game is over its so satisfying that you cannot wait to see where the story goes next. Expand
  7. Jan 19, 2011
    Limited range of movement and interaction on levels makes this very frustrating. I do like the dialogue options and gameplay is fun, other than what was previously mentioned. This leaves a lot to be desired and I think it is very overrated.
  8. Mar 22, 2011
    i don't like the game it just was boring and the game is so repetitive the game began to become a chore to play it is not worth buying maybe a rent...
  9. Jul 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played. Some of the RPG elements may have been taken out but it doesn't diminish from the experience that you get out of it. The writing and characters are all top notch. The was Bioware makes you care for your squadmates leading up to the suicide mission is superb. Play Mass Effect 1 and then play Mass Effect 2, you'll be doing yourself a favor.
  10. Jun 8, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is good and all, the story is good, the characters are interesting, the fighting is okay, and blah de blah; but I never felt immersed in the Mass Effect world. As the RPG I assume it is, it didn't feel like an RPG. It felt like a shooter with dialogue tossed in every now and again. This is not what I usually expect from Bioware. When I think Bioware, I think huge worlds likeMass Effect 2 is good and all, the story is good, the characters are interesting, the fighting is okay, and blah de blah; but I never felt immersed in the Mass Effect world. As the RPG I assume it is, it didn't feel like an RPG. It felt like a shooter with dialogue tossed in every now and again. This is not what I usually expect from Bioware. When I think Bioware, I think huge worlds like Baldur's Gate 2 and a ton of character development and side missions like KOTOR. Neither of those were here in Mass Effect 2. Sure, there were "planets," but you only ever really saw maybe one or two districts of it, probably less. Even if there was a big environment, there wasn't much you could explore. As far as character development goes, it was okay. There was about one side mission for each character, some dialogue that told their past, and that's it. In KOTOR, you got a lot of character development: hours of dialogue, a couple of side missions leading up to one big side mission, the characters interacted and talked to each other, there was always something new to learn about each character. Though, I do think that Mass Effect 2 wasn't going so much for the "huge, awesome world, lots of composition, thinking man's game" sort of style like KOTOR. It was probably going more for a "third person shooter with a good story." Mass Effect 2 is like if Uncharted was an RPG, and in space, sort of...

Anyway, if you've ever wanted to play the game, you probably already own it. If your still on the verge of getting it, it's cheap nowadays so go right ahead. When you're done with it, trade it in for something else, it's not really worth keeping unless you want to see every possible outcome of the game.
  11. Jul 25, 2011
    Impresionante, uno de los mejores juegos que he tenido el placer de disfrutar. La historia es completamente de novela de ciencia ficción, Un RPG excepcional, acompañado por una buena ambientación. Gráficos a la altura de los tiempos, gran calidad, emoción, seducción, acción y una jugabilidad queImpresionante, uno de los mejores juegos que he tenido el placer de disfrutar. La historia es completamente de novela de ciencia ficción, Un RPG excepcional, acompañado por una buena ambientación. Gráficos a la altura de los tiempos, gran calidad, emoción, seducción, acción y una jugabilidad que al principio (hasta que terminas de entender como se usa tu personaje y como complementarlo con tus compañeros que tienes en el equipo) parece aburrida e incluso un poco difícil de entender, pero luego de pasar algunas misiones esto se convierte en un control sencillo e imprescindible para sobrevivir en cada fase.
    Totalmente recomendado para pasar unas cuantas semanas sumergido en una historia sumamente original.
    Recomiendo guardar las partidas en forma manual, ya que el autoguardado te puede dar sorpresas inesperadas, como morir al final de una fase y tener que empezarla casi desde el p¡rincipio !!!
    Conclusión: comprarlo sin dudar, ya que la segunda parte esta en el mercado hace tiempo y ya sale una tercera que promete dejarnos con la boca abierta.

Un saludo

Luchinelrey (Luchin Shepard para los amigos) XD
  12. Nov 1, 2011
    Under all the glitz and polish, bioware tried to sneak in the fact that they think gamers are stupid. Has no one else noticed that their writers ran out of good ideas ages ago? I can forgive small similarities with other sci fi series but most of the Mass Effect universe is recycled! Babylon 5 had most of these ideas 5-10 years ago. Its atrocious! The lack of depth or consequence is veryUnder all the glitz and polish, bioware tried to sneak in the fact that they think gamers are stupid. Has no one else noticed that their writers ran out of good ideas ages ago? I can forgive small similarities with other sci fi series but most of the Mass Effect universe is recycled! Babylon 5 had most of these ideas 5-10 years ago. Its atrocious! The lack of depth or consequence is very poor. The emphasis on third person shooting lacks imagination. A story that could be written by a 12year old, all this is unforgivable. Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    Good game, but not quite as good of a story as the first one. Combat was improved, but at the cost of a lot of the fun things from the first game. These are as bad of knocks because it is the middle game and has to continue the plot but leave enough for another game. I will complain a little about the females in the game. You have the perfect girl (Miranda) who complains she is tooGood game, but not quite as good of a story as the first one. Combat was improved, but at the cost of a lot of the fun things from the first game. These are as bad of knocks because it is the middle game and has to continue the plot but leave enough for another game. I will complain a little about the females in the game. You have the perfect girl (Miranda) who complains she is too perfect.and the Vietnam vet who is a jerk but then everyone should like her because she actually has a ton of daddy issues (Jack). Kind of annoying.

Would be a 9 if not for all the obviously cut story for DLC.
  14. Mar 10, 2012
    Having just played ME and then ME2 for the first time this past week while I've been sick, I fail to see how ME2 is so much better, other than perhaps combat at times, and for me even that is questionable since I've never been a fan of FTS, much less TPS. Having studied and seriously pursued writing in the past myself, I can instantly see that the storytelling if flawed, right from theHaving just played ME and then ME2 for the first time this past week while I've been sick, I fail to see how ME2 is so much better, other than perhaps combat at times, and for me even that is questionable since I've never been a fan of FTS, much less TPS. Having studied and seriously pursued writing in the past myself, I can instantly see that the storytelling if flawed, right from the start, the developers use a much maligned storytelling device "deus ex machina" to set up an excuse for making Shepard have to assemble a new crew and start over. Instead of having to actually plot in detail, just kill her off and make her disappear for a few years.

They've thrown away important plot elements from the first story completely, or just plain ignored them except when it's convenient for them to do otherwise. The very start of the story is built upon a shaky foundation and it just unravels more as you play. The most unbelievable portion for me, is that Shepard, given who Cereberus is and what they've done in ME1, would ever agree to work with Cereberus. Not only that, but the fact that Shepard is a full fledged Specter and an Alliance commander is completely ignored. Shepard managed to do all the same stuff in ME1 that she does in ME2, WITHOUT Cereberus. They make it entirely clear in the first game that a Spectre's powers are far reaching and even the Council rarely reins a Spectre's powers in. But for some reason, in spite of this, Shepard is helpless and can't do ANYTHING without Cereberus's help. In fact, you never seriously are given the chance to refuse to work with them. You're boxed into the choice. So much for BioWare's allowing the player choice in their games.

Oh, but they have an answer for that too, you've been dead for 2 years. Convenient again. Too convenient, and again falling back on that frowned upon "deus ex machina" mechanic, and not well done either at that. After that, every other bit of the storyline is flawed and unbelievable to me, and that one hole in the plot just adds up to more unbelievable holes further into the plot.

I loved ME1, I loved the rpg elements especially, so one of my other complaints is that the Mass Effect series seems to be having an Identity Crisis. Yes, they are an rpg, no they aren't an rpg, no they're a tps with rpg elements. What the heck is that, rpg elements? Please, make up your mind, are you a tps or a rpg? Not only that, but there is absolutely NO WAY you are not going to alienate fans of the ME1 rpg hybrid when you decide to make ME2 be anything other than an rpg hybrid. Notice they don't even attempt to use that phrase anymore, now they use this vague "rpg elements" phrase. What the heck is that supposed to mean? Hybrid at least tells me it's a mix of the two, elements tells me nothing. The developers, after ME1 seem to have lost all focus, and threw out the baby with the bathwater a bit too much for my tastes. Perhaps they listened to too many complaints, all I know is from what I can see in the games, they failed to stay true to their original vision for the series, and the series has greatly suffered because of it.

First it was an rpg hybrid, with the first emphasis on rpg, then it became a shooter with rpg elements, with the emphasis on shooter. If that doesn't tell you where they lost focus, nothing else will.
  15. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a reasonably good game on its own, but serves as a pretty crappy sequel to it's predecessor, the sublime Mass Effect. The game does a lot of things really well, most notably the deep characterizations of all its cast. Where it falls short, however, is in the narrative. The game starts out with a jarring disconnection from ME1, Shepard's death and 2 year resuscitation period. The game then goes on to implausibly establish Cerberus, characterized as a small-time rogue alliance black ops group in Mass Effect, as some sort of covert super organization with financing and intelligence networks the Alliance can only dream of, and as Shepard's benefactor. You're then forced to work for them, ordered to carry out missions agains The Collectors, a threat we're told is related to the Reapers, though how Cerberus formed this suspicion is never made clear. You proceed to spend the entire game going around, hiring volunteers to your cause (who never need convincing), while waiting for Cerberus to tell you what the Collectors are up to and when to go after them again. The story as a whole is very flimsy, and throughout it feels like Shepard is just Cerberus' gofer, which starkly contrasts with ME1, where Shepard uncovers the plot through his own actions and interrogations. The Mass Effect series purports to be story-driven, so when the story isn't good, as is the case here, it's pretty distracting, no matter how good the rest of the game is. I can't talk about ME2 though without talking about how awesome all of the characterizations are. I loved some characters, hated others and came to love some that I initially hated. In every case, the characters are strong, have substance and depth, and are worth talking to. The value of ME2 can be found here, and it's a shame the rest of the game couldn't reach the same level of standard. Expand
  16. Sep 22, 2012
    Every once in a while, there comes along a game (or movie or book) that just has to be seen by everyone capable of doing so. In 2007, Bioware hit that note with Mass Effect, and now, they've done it again. Mass Effect 2 is just outstanding, in every way that counts.
  17. Sep 9, 2013
    How to ruin a cool space adventure series. A game for the masses, this is Gears of War in space. The first Mass Effect game was an epic and fun space adventure. It had a big open world to explore, a large number of side missions, and a highly detailed weapons and armor customization system. In addition the combat itself was highly tactical and strategic All of that is virtually gone withHow to ruin a cool space adventure series. A game for the masses, this is Gears of War in space. The first Mass Effect game was an epic and fun space adventure. It had a big open world to explore, a large number of side missions, and a highly detailed weapons and armor customization system. In addition the combat itself was highly tactical and strategic All of that is virtually gone with ME2. They replaced a fun and adventurous storyline with a boring and soapy 'Seven Samurai' themed one. They heavily reduced the open world environment, dramatically shortened the number of side missions available to you, and practically removed all the gear and weapons customization. The combat has become simplified into a duck-and-cover format where no tactics are required, you just point and shoot. As an offshoot of the Mass Effect series it would have been a good game, but as a direct sequel it is not. It has ruined the whole series for me. It completely severs the flow of the series' overarching storyline. However if you just want a pretty game filled to the brink with drama and where you get to shoot stuff and seduce NPCs I guess you'll really like it. Me, I'm left asking myself where all the fun, excitement and adventure went. I expected Star Trek but got Battlestar Galactica instead. It is science fiction turned boring. Expand
  18. Jan 6, 2015
    I love it. Great story, action, cut scenes, etc.

But man.....please stop dumbing down our games.....I haven't seen a game dumbed down this badly since Skyrim.
  19. Feb 24, 2014
    I absolutely loved this game. The story telling is great, the atmosphere is there. It does look very good. I enjoyed every minute of it. The game completely sucked me in. It also is the only game that actually made me write poetry about it. The characters are almost alive and are very human. It is like playing a very well made movie. On the negative side - similar to the the first ME, II absolutely loved this game. The story telling is great, the atmosphere is there. It does look very good. I enjoyed every minute of it. The game completely sucked me in. It also is the only game that actually made me write poetry about it. The characters are almost alive and are very human. It is like playing a very well made movie. On the negative side - similar to the the first ME, I found the UI and interaction a little bit confusing, though there was a noticeable improvement. Also, a character customisation was a bit of a let down. Apart from that, this is a perfectly well mage game. Bravo. Expand
  20. Jul 3, 2015
    PC keyboard setup is poorly designed, and the fact that you actually have to fly the ship to your destination, is both laughable and tragic, game's as good as the first one so far. But would be nice when porting a game to remember KISS keep it simple stupid when setting up the functions on a keyboard.
  21. Jun 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I finished ME I said to myself, Does it get any better than this? And guess what? It did. ME2 corrects and improves everyhing ME did, the music still awesome, the dialogue, the story, the fact that the consecuences of the choices you made in ME get carried and affect your experience in ME2 just blew my mind.
    Great characters, no more Ashley thank god!! but Thane, Grunt, Miranda, Thali, Garrus, Jack and the others just make a great cast of lovable characters, character you invest time trying to get them prepared for the final battle, hoping everyone gets out alive.
    Do yourself a favor, BUY THIS GAME!!!
  22. TreH.
    Feb 7, 2010
    Man.. It's really irritating to see people compare this game to other Third Person Shooters. This game is a SHOOTER RPG, not a SHOOTER. Comparing ME2 to Gears of War is stupid, I love Gears, and they are two DIFFERENT GENRES. Comparing this game to Fallout 3 is a good comparison yes, but stick with the same genres please. Also, I remember when games were about gameplay, not having Man.. It's really irritating to see people compare this game to other Third Person Shooters. This game is a SHOOTER RPG, not a SHOOTER. Comparing ME2 to Gears of War is stupid, I love Gears, and they are two DIFFERENT GENRES. Comparing this game to Fallout 3 is a good comparison yes, but stick with the same genres please. Also, I remember when games were about gameplay, not having the best graphics. As for dimming down on the rpg element, I personally was irritated with the first game. As much as I loved how much customization there was, it was just too much to do. That game was 80% customization and 20% gameplay in my opinion. ME2 did a great job at keeping the story engaging, while the cover system, and combat were a bit itchy, I still give this game a 10 for good story, GREAT character builds, and an engaging experience. Expand
    Jan 26, 2010
    Por lo que he jugado, es un gran juego, me ha parecido bastante bastane divertido, pero el problema e sque simplifican mucho los aspectos mas PRG de la primera parte, cosa qeu ami no me gusta. Adema la ausencia de mako y la poca profundidad de los personajes en comparacion de la anterior entrega, asi sta la cosa.
  24. MichaelB.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Its still a great game but the loss of many of the rpg elements has hit me hard. it feels more like a shooter now than a true rpg. most the clutter from the first game got streamlined and downsized along with some of its charm.
  25. T.M.
    Feb 1, 2010
    A very good game every dialogue has at least a good or bad option and you can do pretty much whatever you like. The graphics are so good too, way more action and a superior story The only negatives that I'm sure everyone agrees with are the planet scanning which you have to do for upgrades if you wanna survive on higher difficulties, the repetitive Harbinger enemies and the glitches A very good game every dialogue has at least a good or bad option and you can do pretty much whatever you like. The graphics are so good too, way more action and a superior story The only negatives that I'm sure everyone agrees with are the planet scanning which you have to do for upgrades if you wanna survive on higher difficulties, the repetitive Harbinger enemies and the glitches such as randomly floating in the air forcing you to have to re load a save. But trust me man it is an awesome game. The reason for the 9 is the glitches and game issues. Expand
  26. WizartarP
    Feb 10, 2010
    Very good game, awesome character development, but that's the problem. There's no plot, the games is just getting you're crew together and making them loyal for a short mission at the end. But that said, it also has one of the coolest characters in any game yet, Mordin. Plus all the characters are very interesting which helps distract you from the fact there's no plot. Very good game, awesome character development, but that's the problem. There's no plot, the games is just getting you're crew together and making them loyal for a short mission at the end. But that said, it also has one of the coolest characters in any game yet, Mordin. Plus all the characters are very interesting which helps distract you from the fact there's no plot. Also the new shops / power-up system feels broken to me. I had a "level 4" item which I couldn't research because I didn't have the "level 3" one. Also mining to do development is a complete pain is the ass and is only in the game to make it longer, should be completely removed. Expand
  27. HugoS
    Feb 10, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is a great game with some steps forward from the first but a couple of steps in the opposite direction. The voice acting, story, and graphics remain the same great thing as ever with some slight variations. The combat is one area where Bioware took a step forward. The fights feel soother and the powers are more accessible to use and are generally stronger. The leveling Mass Effect 2 is a great game with some steps forward from the first but a couple of steps in the opposite direction. The voice acting, story, and graphics remain the same great thing as ever with some slight variations. The combat is one area where Bioware took a step forward. The fights feel soother and the powers are more accessible to use and are generally stronger. The leveling system is pretty good. The experience gaining system on the other hand, is horrible. Instead of gaining exp from every individual enemy that you brutally murder, you only gain a net value at the end of every mission. This is extremely strange, in my opinion, because Bioware really focused on combat in this entry. Another thing that got on my nerves was how Bioware removed much of the role playing elements. There is hardly any equipping of items and the few you do find are minor visual variations and slightly different weapon damage. In its place is a rather empty upgrading system that really doesn't make the player that much more powerful. Bioware also made it necessary to gain paragon and renegade to upgrade your charm/intimidate skill. This makes it hard to chose the neutral path as you are losing and option to access bonuses and generally make the game more fun. But besides those annoying quips, Bioware still developed a great tittle that feels more like a shooter with some flimsy RPG elements than a true action RPG. Expand
  28. DannyC
    Feb 21, 2010
    I really enjoyed this game; the shooting mechanics are a lot more polished than they were in the original Mass Effect. The RPG elements such as picking up loot, exp for killing enemies and general weapon stats are gone which means shooting damage is not decided by hidden multipliers, in a slasher RPG they work in a shooter they are less effective. And the story is high quality They also I really enjoyed this game; the shooting mechanics are a lot more polished than they were in the original Mass Effect. The RPG elements such as picking up loot, exp for killing enemies and general weapon stats are gone which means shooting damage is not decided by hidden multipliers, in a slasher RPG they work in a shooter they are less effective. And the story is high quality They also seriously toned down the exploration which I believe was a serious design mistake, DLC is however apparently being released to make this optional. (Remember this was done as so many bitched about the copy and pasted Mako areas and the controls for this, rightly so). However instead of improving these areas their gone which was a stupid and VERY lazy cop out on Biowares account. The gameplay is quite simply FUN and at the end of the bitching due to a lack of RPG elements this is what actually matters. The shooting simply massacres Fallout 3 which is the best shooter RPG I had played, the actual shooting in fallout was bad and feels random, VATS saved fallout from being used as a football many times :}. Also the upgrade system is excellent and really streamlines the RPG element out, I hope this system becomes standard practice the differences they make are easily noticeable. The environments generally look very good on 360 (I have played on PC and they look stunning) most areas outside of Omega and collector areas look sterile and kind of star trekie, there Expand
  29. EasyLayLay
    Feb 8, 2010
    A good game, but not as good as I thought it was going to be. Yes, the combat is improved, yes there are more characters, but I miss my "sunday drives" in the mako; I miss driving up to bases and sniping them from afar. I miss picking up a better assault weapon and going in to the inventory screen to equip it. I miss the more detailed RPG choices of the first Mass Effect game. I miss A good game, but not as good as I thought it was going to be. Yes, the combat is improved, yes there are more characters, but I miss my "sunday drives" in the mako; I miss driving up to bases and sniping them from afar. I miss picking up a better assault weapon and going in to the inventory screen to equip it. I miss the more detailed RPG choices of the first Mass Effect game. I miss being on a mission that seemed important, rather than a covert mission nobody seems to know about and everyone other than the humans don't seem to care about. I miss a strong villain like Saren. I miss being able to use all my weapons whatever the class of character I am using. I have a big squad but there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to choose one squad member over another, unlike the fist game where you had to juggle weapons/biotics/tech. I seem to be collecting squad members forever, but once I have recruited them they just spend the rest of the game sat in the hold. When you collect them they look like the most powerful being in the galaxy, but when you take them on quests they are rather ordinary. The graphical quality of the game seems to have not improved, and the citadel is now a wal-mart rather than the sprawling seat of intergalactic government it used to be. The planetary scanning is a boring flash game. Overall I am thankful of the improvements but they seem to have ripped out the troublesome parts of Mass Effect 1 (slow inventory, inconsistent UI) rather than improve them. Expand
  30. LiquidO.
    Jan 26, 2010
    I just beat this game once and am already on my second play through even though I have MAG and No More Heroes 2 just bought as well. I'm hyped so much for those games but even after putting 34 hours and 23 minutes in my first playthrough I am back for more. If that doesn't indicate how good this game is I don't know what to say.
  31. GaryL.
    Jan 26, 2010
    Was the wait worth it? Was all the replay of part 1 worth it? ABSOLUTELY. By Far the best game and character development we have been waiting for. Broke up with girlfriend, quit my job. I don't want to waste any more of my time NOT plaing this game....is it a game? A state of mind and being.
  32. SamJ.
    Jan 26, 2010
    Truly an amazing game with unmatched atmosphere and cinematic appeal. Every conversation feels like a cutscene, every mission you complete feels like it brings you closer to your goals. The story, characters, dialog, design and gameplay are all magnificent. If there's one game to buy for your 360, it's Mass Effect 2.
  33. billyb
    Jan 26, 2010
    This game is absolutely amazing. Its a big jump, and it sucks you in. I loved the first game, and this is even better, and by a huge margin. Simply an awesome game, I dont know what else to say. Theres a million ways to play, and I imported my save from the first game. It plays to your own individual imagination, and its the first series of a game ive ever really felt that way. Just amazing.
  34. DaleL.
    Jan 26, 2010
    Almost speechless! Am I playing a game or a movie? This is what I kept asking myself while blasting my way through loads of baddies and swaggering through a super tight storyline. Playing a game like this hurts a little because they have an ending. I sense multiple play-throughs in my very near future.
  35. JohannesS.
    Jan 26, 2010
    If you loved the first one, you'll love this even more! If you've never played an RPG, but love shooters with a great story (Half-Life 2 for example) you'll love this! If you prefer hardcore-RPG with tedious micro-management, get Dragon Age instead. P.S. Kelly forever!
  36. SamA.
    Jan 26, 2010
    Having played through ME1 multiple times I have to say that this game is leaps and bounds better when it comes to the game play. I know I read an early review that docked the game points for relying heavily on the storyline from the original, but I argue that it was necessary since this game is obviously a standing part of the trilogy. Within the first 30 minutes of the game I was sucked Having played through ME1 multiple times I have to say that this game is leaps and bounds better when it comes to the game play. I know I read an early review that docked the game points for relying heavily on the storyline from the original, but I argue that it was necessary since this game is obviously a standing part of the trilogy. Within the first 30 minutes of the game I was sucked in, and after 11 hours of game play I still don't want to return to my home planet. Expand
  37. AndrewBylard
    Jan 26, 2010
    There's no such thing as a perfect game, but Mass Effect 2 gets much closer than I've ever seen or thought possible. One of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen in a game.
  38. KyleR.
    Jan 26, 2010
    This game is amazing. I love how most critics only dock points for the graphics, but it's the most amazing-looking game I've ever seen. 10 because it's an instant classic.
  39. CarlB.
    Jan 26, 2010
    As brilliant for RPG's as Bayonetta is for it's genre, Mass Effect 2's fast pacing, tight gameplay mechanics, deep storyline, sharp graphics, and complex details all make for a gaming experience that sets the standard for 2010.
  40. MichaelH.
    Jan 26, 2010
    Your hearing it hear first GOTY 2010 is Mass Effect 2. I've been playing since 12:30 am it is now 8:42 and im hooked. Everything that you didn't like or had any problem with in the first Mass Effect has been changed, retooled ,and made alot better. Excuse me i Have ME2 withdraw if I take too long of a break from playing
  41. ace02
    Jan 26, 2010
    What was bad or lacking on the first ME,was implemented or fixed on ME 2. Great story,fast-pace action and a cast of vivid and wonderful characters. One of the best Xbox 360 RPG games.
  42. DwonG
    Jan 26, 2010
    When you play this game you will know you are playing a well made and polished game. If you thought uncharted 2 was game of the year quality then this game will go far beyond that if you love a thrilling story a great challenge multiple endings and involving main and side quests this is the perfect game for you
  43. JoeB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    one of the most emotionally, visually and technically resonant video games I've ever played. a must buy for someone who enjoys smart, beautiful, cinematic well-written entertainment. and its FUN too...imagine that. absolutely breathtaking. 10/10. Just do yourself a favor and play this.
  44. daveB
    Work Of Art.
  45. JroqM.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Awesome Game and story line. very well done.
  46. RevanS.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Riveting. Amazing. Impossible to put down... I know it's only January, but this is Game of the Year. Bye bye, Bioshock.
  47. MiljaHouni
    Jan 27, 2010
    Builds on the good parts of ME1 and fixes the issues. Combat is improved and more engaging, story is unrivaled.
  48. TomO.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Absolutely engrossing world with great characters and an engaging plot. Shooter elements have been improved from ME1, as well as many other minor improvements that make this game the cutting edge.
  49. UmbertoM.
    Jan 27, 2010
    This is finally a real game.
  50. NickT.
    Jan 27, 2010
    I was wondering how they were going to top Mass Effect 1. Well, they did. In length, characters, drama, decisions, and story. Do get this game.
  51. Dan
    Jan 27, 2010
    There's so many good things to say about Mass Effect 2 it's impossible to cram them all into this paragraph. So what's wrong with this game, the answer, very little. The planet scanning gets tedious after a while but if it was removed, you would miss it. The games graphics, sound, presentation and story are all top notch. The real triumph here is how the games unique cast There's so many good things to say about Mass Effect 2 it's impossible to cram them all into this paragraph. So what's wrong with this game, the answer, very little. The planet scanning gets tedious after a while but if it was removed, you would miss it. The games graphics, sound, presentation and story are all top notch. The real triumph here is how the games unique cast of characters draw you into this world and make it seem so vividly real. Most of your actions from Mass Effect 1 directly affect Mass Effect 2 and even potentially Mass Effect 3. I have never played a sequel so directly connected to its predecessor. An amazing work of art, if you own a 360 or PC equipped to handle it, go buy it. Now. Expand
  52. RaxR.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Have just finished (a pre-release copy of) it and all I can say is that from such a strong start it just keeps getting better and better! The last few hours are some of the best of my 20 year gaming life! An amazing game that ALL gamers should play. A new benchmark for "intelligent shooters" (iFPS). Please stop reading these comments & BUY THE GAME now! :-)
  53. CRockwell
    Jan 27, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is not a perfect game, but a 9/10 rating just does not do it justice. This triumph of storytelling is easily the most enjoyment I'll get from a game in a several year span, the only other coming close being Assassin's Creed II -- though that had a much shorter gameplay value for me when compared to Mass Effect's replay value. It has a personality and Mass Effect 2 is not a perfect game, but a 9/10 rating just does not do it justice. This triumph of storytelling is easily the most enjoyment I'll get from a game in a several year span, the only other coming close being Assassin's Creed II -- though that had a much shorter gameplay value for me when compared to Mass Effect's replay value. It has a personality and memorability that makes playing it for the first time akin to watching a movie from a great director for the first time, and knowing it's destined to become a classic. It has this certain something that rises it above the rest, and will make it go down into my greatest memories of games played list, making it fully justified as a 10/10 in my eyes. Expand
  54. darrylQ.
    Jan 27, 2010
    i love this game. to be a perfect ten more adult content uncensored is needed. this is a mature game, so an option should be added or dlc for more adult gameplay and content.
  55. RobB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    The game is simply incredible. Everything you loved about Mass Effect 1 is still here, but everything that frustrated you is gone. The first 10 minutes were the best opening of any videogame ever. I see this game sucking up my life for the next several months, if not years.
  56. CharlieM.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Highly addictive, cinematics are so good its like being in a movie, new equipment and weapons lay out takes some getting used to, hotkeys for abilities is a huge plus. Bravo on one of the best games ever made gentlemen.
  57. ZhenshuoLiu
    Jan 28, 2010
    Fell in love with the game moment I walked into Afterlife. I think I stayed there for 2 hours doing nothing but enjoying the music and scenery. The amount of detail put into things that aren't even pivotal makes this game a real hit. Like Avatar, it creates a real alternate world. Unlike Avatar, I get to actually do what I want in it. 10
  58. NickP.
    Jan 28, 2010
    I cannot properly produce, in words, how damn much I love this game. I was all prepared to be underwhelmed, as I didn't thnk they could do better than the first game. I was wrong. Seriously and completely wrong. No more recycled animations, no more terrible Mako, no more "character looks dramatically to the side, and then walks off". Everything is more seamless. That doesn't I cannot properly produce, in words, how damn much I love this game. I was all prepared to be underwhelmed, as I didn't thnk they could do better than the first game. I was wrong. Seriously and completely wrong. No more recycled animations, no more terrible Mako, no more "character looks dramatically to the side, and then walks off". Everything is more seamless. That doesn't mean there aren't little issues. The loading times seem really long, even when installed to the hard drive. There are some bugs where the audio cuts out and chops up strangely, and your crew mostly remains silent when in conversations when you're perusing the galaxy. But in comparsion to everything else about the game, I simply cannot complain. That's picking nits. I'm 10 hours into the game, and it is by and far the most amazing game I've played, ever. I've enjoyed a lot of games, I have. but this goes beyond everything I have ever expierenced. Thank you Bioware. I'm glad that ME1 got me to buy an Xbox and I'm thrilled to be a part of this experience. Game of the year? No. Game of the forever, for me at least. Expand
  59. RicardoL.
    Jan 28, 2010
    Modern, fascinating and truly innovative, Mass Effect 2 is a brand new take for the western rpg, Bioware reached a perfect mix between action and storytelling, graced by stunning visuals and a long and challenging gameplay.
  60. DevonM.
    Jan 28, 2010
    Fantastic game! Better than the original. Only flaw is the use of a tedious mini-game that needed to be played over and over. Combat and story more than make up for it.
  61. JohnC
    Jan 28, 2010
    Great game, a beautifully crafted RPG with strong combat elements, a solid storyline bedded down with some great graphics and fluid cut scenes. No dull moments or time to stand around and get shot at here! The only down side, I found the mini games annoying at times. If you liked Mass Effect 1 then you need to get Mass Effect 2
  62. NickB.
    Jan 28, 2010
    By far this is the game of the year in january the game is absoleutly incredible. This game makes halo 3 fell like tetris the graphics are fenominal, the charecter designs and customization is great and the planetary traveling from mass effect 1 is still alot of fun, the story is incredible to 10 out of 10. YA GAME OF THE YEAR
  63. BrodieH.
    Jan 28, 2010
    It's not a bad game, but in the first two hours of playing, there's 1:45 of cutscenes. Combat is pretty subpar. Only redeeming factors for this game would be the graphics and the story. Rent it.
  64. GabrielP.
    Jan 28, 2010
    This game has made several improvments over the last one. How ever this does not mean ME2 does not have it's flaws. Dragged out ctuscenes and lengthy loading screens get a bit teadeous but overall it is an excellent game. I only wish more games were made of this quality.
  65. RyanH
    Jan 28, 2010
    This sequel to one of the best games of all time lives up to the hype. It's story is deep and compelling and the ending is among one of the most intense in not only gaming, but entertainment history.
  66. Wiliab.
    Jan 28, 2010
    I have never played anything as amazing as this game. It pulls you in, and you cant stop playing. The last two nights i said to myself, its time to go to bed...I played another 3 hours each time. I grew up a gamer back in the nes days, played some of the greatest games on all kinds of consoles. Im not even finished with me2 yet, and to me, its THE greatest game ive ever played. Just amazing!
  67. MikeP
    Jan 29, 2010
    This game is absolutely amazing. I've never been so affected by story-telling in my life. Visuals are stellar, combat is solid, and the characters are compelling and interesting. GOTY 2010 and my new favourite game.
  68. KevinJ.
    Jan 29, 2010
    Improved Mass Effect 2 in every way possible. Best improvement worthy of note is the highly improved combat system. The story is extremely engaging and brings the player to a new intimate level with the story. ME2 is the highest rated game in my book for the 360, GTA IV doesn't deserve the #1 spot.
  69. PhilG.
    Jan 29, 2010
    So close to flawless it might as well be flawless. Fantastic story and voice acting, amazing graphics and presentation, combat that is visceral and challenging, and so much value crammed into the box versus every other release since the first Mass Effect (except for maybe Dragon Age). A must have for Xbox and PC owners, and worth many replaythroughs. With 2010's 'bumper So close to flawless it might as well be flawless. Fantastic story and voice acting, amazing graphics and presentation, combat that is visceral and challenging, and so much value crammed into the box versus every other release since the first Mass Effect (except for maybe Dragon Age). A must have for Xbox and PC owners, and worth many replaythroughs. With 2010's 'bumper crop' of game releases, it's very safe to call it Game of the Year right now. Expand
  70. Kackyd
    Jan 29, 2010
    there are alot of whining pussys out there bitchn about this game. i thiought it was awesome. it is exactly what a action rpg should be.
  71. BrandonS.
    Jan 31, 2010
    This game is mostly perfect. There are a few scant problems with the cover system and friendly AI isn't very good. However the story and presentation is spectacular and needs to be experienced by everyone whom claims they enjoy video games. For that, it would be 10 in my book. However, the game takes too many steps back in it's RPG, Exploration, and Strategy elements for This game is mostly perfect. There are a few scant problems with the cover system and friendly AI isn't very good. However the story and presentation is spectacular and needs to be experienced by everyone whom claims they enjoy video games. For that, it would be 10 in my book. However, the game takes too many steps back in it's RPG, Exploration, and Strategy elements for seemingly no reason. Those of us whom enjoyed the first one get a little less stuff to love here even though the main campaign is twice as long. It's more about the story this time around. Expand
  72. RaymondH.
    Jan 31, 2010
    This is absolutely the best game i have ever played, everything about it is perfect from the combat to the story to characters and even the technical stuff (like framerate and texture pop in) everything is flawless. If you do not already own this game, buy it, something that can bring you as much joy as this game will is a bargain at any price but for only 60 dollars you have no excuse This is absolutely the best game i have ever played, everything about it is perfect from the combat to the story to characters and even the technical stuff (like framerate and texture pop in) everything is flawless. If you do not already own this game, buy it, something that can bring you as much joy as this game will is a bargain at any price but for only 60 dollars you have no excuse not to own it Expand
  73. FraserB.
    Jan 31, 2010
    Haven't put too much time into this game, however I know the epic vibes which this game gives off! I never really got into the first Mass Effect however this game will drive me to give it a playthrough as the full experience is realised when you import a ME1 Character. 10/10
  74. Forrest
    Jan 30, 2010
    Best RPG since Final Fantasy VII. Better than most movies I've seen. The first one blew my mind but this is even better. Not being able to Remove the helmet with the Dragon Age armor is my ONLY complaint as Shepard's facial expressions are great! Buy this game but be sure and play the first one first.
  75. PeterW.
    Jan 31, 2010
    I imported my mass effect 1 save and it made the game far better. This becomes one of the most personalized games i have ever played. The story is just as good as the first one and the graphics have been improved. They focused more on action than RPG elements. There are only like 20 guns but its not a bad thing. Overall perfect score for me.
  76. TravisC.
    Jan 31, 2010
    Never before have I felt so immersed in a game. It seems that EVERY action I made in the first Mass Effect has effects in the fantastic sequel. Any complaints from the first game (long elevator rides, texture pop-in, item management) have been addressed in this one to provide a much more streamlined, accessible and enjoyable experience. I can't wait to see what Mass Effect 3 has in Never before have I felt so immersed in a game. It seems that EVERY action I made in the first Mass Effect has effects in the fantastic sequel. Any complaints from the first game (long elevator rides, texture pop-in, item management) have been addressed in this one to provide a much more streamlined, accessible and enjoyable experience. I can't wait to see what Mass Effect 3 has in store for us...! Expand
  77. JustinC.
    Jan 30, 2010
    The best game in quite some time, I'm not any fan of RPG's, nor am I a RPG player...but this game is something different. It feels different, it plays different. Bioware blurs the line between video games and movies, while still having some of the best gameplay in recent memory. I was also somebody who couldn't get into the first installment (due to my lack of enthusiasm The best game in quite some time, I'm not any fan of RPG's, nor am I a RPG player...but this game is something different. It feels different, it plays different. Bioware blurs the line between video games and movies, while still having some of the best gameplay in recent memory. I was also somebody who couldn't get into the first installment (due to my lack of enthusiasm for most RPG's), but this one had me put in 27 hours in 5 days, I simply couldn't stop until I had it beat. The story is fantastic, and I had no trouble picking up the loose ends and figuring out the basics and what was going on (again, i barely played the first). The squad you assemble really feels connected, and as if you have an obligation to be their commander. This is a completely immersive universe that doesn't stop at any point, the pacing is spot on. Exploration and conversating feels perfectly balanced with the stellar gameplay. Graphics and presentation are top-notch, easy to use menus and never confusing of your objective. Quite simply, this game is a video gaming masterpiece. ....no it isn't. This is an entertainment masterpiece that trancends video gaming into the realm that it should be recognized as, the biggest entertainment industry. This game is the reason why people play, and the reasons why gamers do what they love. Do yourself a favor, and go buy this. It might not be Game of the Year 2010, this might be the game of the upcoming decade, yes...the decade. Expand
  78. SteveH.
    Feb 11, 2010
    This game is great. The RPG elements from the first ME have been toned down but I still felt satisfied the way BioWare handled it. The games cover system is great, it works very similarly to gears of war. The story is very enticing and the characters on your squad are very cool. Watch some of the gameplay videos for rent this game if you are on the fence, otherwise buy this game!
  79. MitchD
    Feb 1, 2010
    While I can not in good conscience give this game a ten it deserves more than a 9. to give the game a ten would be to say that it is perfect and in all reality it has very few faults...but the faults are there. Mako exploration was redundant and got boring after a while...well scanning planets was cool for the first 20 minutes then it was redundant. A mix of the two for ME 3 would be While I can not in good conscience give this game a ten it deserves more than a 9. to give the game a ten would be to say that it is perfect and in all reality it has very few faults...but the faults are there. Mako exploration was redundant and got boring after a while...well scanning planets was cool for the first 20 minutes then it was redundant. A mix of the two for ME 3 would be nice. I ran into a few glitches where i Had to reload because i got stuck in something (not a huge deal seeing as how bioware learned how to actually work an autosave feature in the game). Aside from that there are not a lot of complaints. to all you fools giving this game a 0 because of the Cerberus Network card only being able to be obtained through a new purchase...Stop crying. It is in Biowares best interest to protect their sales numbers and i think it is an intuitive way to do it. Sorry if you have multiple accounts but thats just tough luck. all it takes is 5 bucks off a $60 game and most people jump at the opportunity to get it. DLC is pretty much uniform these days and a game should not lose points unless it is actually screwing over the purchaser of the game. in which case this does not. Expand
  80. CraigB
    Feb 1, 2010
    Simply outstanding. With Mass Effect, BioWare created a rich world full of depth, intrigue and character - with Mass Effect 2, BioWare have mastered that world, and by doing so they have delivered an absolute masterpiece. Simply put, Mass Effect 2 is in a league of it's own and will silence any cynicism within the opening ten minutes. Personally, I would go as far as calling it the Simply outstanding. With Mass Effect, BioWare created a rich world full of depth, intrigue and character - with Mass Effect 2, BioWare have mastered that world, and by doing so they have delivered an absolute masterpiece. Simply put, Mass Effect 2 is in a league of it's own and will silence any cynicism within the opening ten minutes. Personally, I would go as far as calling it the best game this generation, although that is entirely subjective of course. Everything about this game oozes class - you have to play this game, there's no two ways about it. Expand
  81. QuinnS.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Bioware did not make this game to suit a more casual crowd. The casual crowd is not going to put 20 plus hours for the bare bones run of the games story and expect it to appeal to Wii gamers. They made it more shooter to expand there market, sure, but thats not a bad thing, and its trying to fix what people criticized most about the first.
  82. WilliamD.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Game was great. The devolpments in some of the events are truely touching. While I am a huge bioware fan this if the first game where the emotional choice actually made me care about them aside from which female am i pursueing this trip?
  83. MilesE
    Feb 1, 2010
    This game has absolutely fantastic pacing, voice acting, animation, gunplay and a truly great blend of action and traditional RPG elements. BioWare has taken a step forward and dispensed with some of the more "useless" busywork that wouldn't contribute or make sense to the kind of series Mass Effect is striving to be. If you're a fan of fantastic story - play this game. If This game has absolutely fantastic pacing, voice acting, animation, gunplay and a truly great blend of action and traditional RPG elements. BioWare has taken a step forward and dispensed with some of the more "useless" busywork that wouldn't contribute or make sense to the kind of series Mass Effect is striving to be. If you're a fan of fantastic story - play this game. If you're a fan of diverse action - play this game. If you're a fan of science fiction - play this game. If you're a fan of games in general, you OWE it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  84. PeterC
    Feb 11, 2010
    It's one third action, one third dialogue/cutscenes and one third planet scanning. The action is a poor copy of Gears of War, the cutscenes are interminable, and the scanning is like a real life minimum wage job except that you're paying them to do it. The plot is good but if that's what you care about, go watch a movie instead. The gameplay is mediocre at best.
  85. VictorR
    Feb 11, 2010
    If Mass Effect 2 is an "RPG", then so is Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10. They both only have 4 or 5 skills you can work on, they both use purchasable gear which modify stats, and in both the gear has no appreciable change on the game as a whole. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 is more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2 simply because there's a much more robust loot If Mass Effect 2 is an "RPG", then so is Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10. They both only have 4 or 5 skills you can work on, they both use purchasable gear which modify stats, and in both the gear has no appreciable change on the game as a whole. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 is more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2 simply because there's a much more robust loot and skill system than Mass Effect 2's. The only "loot" in ME2 are Armor pieces that don't even matter. Expand
  86. AndrewG
    Feb 12, 2010
    I am in absolute love with this game. From the revamped combat to the ability to carry over your character and even an amazing story and cast, this game lives up to the hype. Mass Effect 2 leaps bounds over the original when it comes to the game play, graphics, and well... everything! I do miss the looting and leveling up when I kill people though. However, these are only a few negative I am in absolute love with this game. From the revamped combat to the ability to carry over your character and even an amazing story and cast, this game lives up to the hype. Mass Effect 2 leaps bounds over the original when it comes to the game play, graphics, and well... everything! I do miss the looting and leveling up when I kill people though. However, these are only a few negative aspects against a mountain of amazing qualities. Every PC and 360 owner owes themselves to play this game. Expand
  87. MikeM
    Feb 13, 2010
    The game play itself has 2 major problems: -The companions are constantly stupid; they either jump in front of your gun, or run back around the previous corner and don't fight, or stand there and blink while you fight. -The cover system's controls are moronic; the commands for taking cover, and for hurdling your cover and jumping into the crossfire are practically the same. The The game play itself has 2 major problems: -The companions are constantly stupid; they either jump in front of your gun, or run back around the previous corner and don't fight, or stand there and blink while you fight. -The cover system's controls are moronic; the commands for taking cover, and for hurdling your cover and jumping into the crossfire are practically the same. The game's details and production values are good, but this doesn't merit A reviews when the gameplay is C-. If you love ME1, this game is enjoyable enough. There is no way in hell it deserves its score. I've seen other player-reviewers giving this and other games a 0 because the critics and players give 10s to games that deserve a 7. I agree entirely. I'll add a few points: -Bioware's trend is to make well-polished garbage, and somehow get great reviews. -Game reviewing cannot be taken seriously. Either they're crooked or stupid or both. -Player-reviewers must be reviewing games the day they buy them, and biased toward approving of what they've spent their hard earned money on. When a play-through of a modern game is 40-80 hours, you cannot review it even 10 hours in. No one wants to read a movie review of the first 15 minutes. Expand
  88. Aegis
    Feb 13, 2010
    This is probably the best game I've played since Silent Hill 2. Everything that bogged down the first game is either gone, or streamlined. No more elevator rides that seem to take forever, no more generic planets to explore with wonkey tank controls. Everything new fits perfectly, and everything that's gone, well, I just don't miss it. I'm also of the opinion that RPGs This is probably the best game I've played since Silent Hill 2. Everything that bogged down the first game is either gone, or streamlined. No more elevator rides that seem to take forever, no more generic planets to explore with wonkey tank controls. Everything new fits perfectly, and everything that's gone, well, I just don't miss it. I'm also of the opinion that RPGs and action just don't mix too. To me, the idea that I'm going to have trouble with an enemy because I'm not "leveled" enough is stupid. I'm just as capable of a headshot at level one as level fifty, so why do my bullets do less damage? Are they waiting to give me the real ones or something? Granted, you can still level up some skills and abilities, but not nearly as many as before. It isn't unfair, or a huge cut; it's streamlined. I just really can't see what people are so upset about. Even as a huge fan of mass effect I still see this as a massive improvement over the original. Anyway the game is a shooter yes, but it's deep too. Deep in story, deep in dialog. If you don't like long cutscenes or the occasional log entry to read, you might want to roll with something else or rent it first. Same as if you hate shooting and fast paced combat. I really can't say anything that the other excellent reviews haven't already said, perhaps with this exception: The PC version is by far the best of the two in my opinion. Combat flows so much smoother with the mouse and keyboard than the 360 controller. And it's fairly low profile in terms of system requirements too. STALKER: shadow of Chernobyl puts more strain on my PC than ME2 even. So don't worry if your card is listed as below minimum requirements, just be prepared to view it at a lower resolution. Expand
  89. EddieB.
    Feb 14, 2010
    When I played Mass Effect, I had believed it to be one of the best games I had ever played. When I played Mass Effect 2, it turned out to be the best game I've ever played. Contrary to what most people are calling a "dumbed down system," Mass Effect 2 offers much more of a challenge to returning players. Shepard actually seems mortal in this game and cannot run out into gunfights and When I played Mass Effect, I had believed it to be one of the best games I had ever played. When I played Mass Effect 2, it turned out to be the best game I've ever played. Contrary to what most people are calling a "dumbed down system," Mass Effect 2 offers much more of a challenge to returning players. Shepard actually seems mortal in this game and cannot run out into gunfights and spam unlimited bullets, as he must take tactical cover in areas as well as navigate his squad to tactical cover. The power wheel is also much improved seeing as how a global cooldown came into play making the game much more difficult and requires much more planning. Yes, there are fewer RPG elements as far as character customization goes, but it also eliminates the unnecessary inventory system that was in Mass Effect. I could literally go on for pages on what has been upgraded in this game and how it is not "dumbed down," but I do not have that much space. Mass Effect 2's choices, consequences, flow, locales, and most importantly, characters are what make the game amazing. It is quite simply the best game I've ever played. Expand
  90. AnthonyF
    Feb 15, 2010
    This was one of the best games I've ever played. Everything about it is fantastic, and any fan of science fiction should love the story which pulls from just about every famous piece there is, from Firefly to Babylon 5. It's well worth your money, as you'll want to repeat the 30+ hour campaign over and over again, not only to try out the different classes, but to see all This was one of the best games I've ever played. Everything about it is fantastic, and any fan of science fiction should love the story which pulls from just about every famous piece there is, from Firefly to Babylon 5. It's well worth your money, as you'll want to repeat the 30+ hour campaign over and over again, not only to try out the different classes, but to see all the dialogue and different paths you can take. I don't give games perfect scores lightly, but Mass Effect 2 fully deserves one. Expand
  91. AdamO.
    Feb 15, 2010
    Love the game. I would have preferred some things to be carried over from Mass Effect (1) like the weapons/armor choices and talent point allocation. But these are minor compared to the story and experience of the ME2. I have played through twice now as Paragon and Renegade and with each play through I would totally loose track of time as I get sucked in to the story and adventure. Love the game. I would have preferred some things to be carried over from Mass Effect (1) like the weapons/armor choices and talent point allocation. But these are minor compared to the story and experience of the ME2. I have played through twice now as Paragon and Renegade and with each play through I would totally loose track of time as I get sucked in to the story and adventure. Because of the lake of RPG elements I would give the game a 9.5 but I will round it to a 10. A 9 would not be doing the game justice as this is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Expand
  92. SamM
    Feb 18, 2010
    This game is a tecnological marvel with a stunning story that draws you in further than any game I've played so far. Combat can be excellent, if a little one dimensional, but the improvements from the previous chaper are massive, especially the galaxy map, character back stories and exploration of other planets. Very highly recommended, but play the original first.
  93. ScottF
    Feb 19, 2010
    I really don't see why so many people think this is the "game of the year." So many flaws with this game that are easily fixed if Bioware had just spent the time to fix them instead of releasing it ASAP. Glitchy graphics, dumb as hell A.I., sometimes the characters will yell something in battle and it will sound like they're saying it in slow-mo for no reason, i dunno if its I really don't see why so many people think this is the "game of the year." So many flaws with this game that are easily fixed if Bioware had just spent the time to fix them instead of releasing it ASAP. Glitchy graphics, dumb as hell A.I., sometimes the characters will yell something in battle and it will sound like they're saying it in slow-mo for no reason, i dunno if its just me but i think shepard is looking at the ground whenever he's running and sometimes not even looking forward, the character modeling of shepard and some of the other characters is terrible (move like robots, sound like robots), the loading screens are way to long even for a Bioware game... I could probably go on for a long time about all the small things that pissed me off about this game, but i won't. And those were just the SMALL things that should've been fixed at the last minute had they actually wanted to make a GOOD game and not just a sequel that they knew would sell cause it had the title Mass Effect on it. Seriously, this is not the Mass Effect I know and love. I am fine with getting rid of the tedious RPG aspects, but they tried to make it like a TPS. This would've been fine, but AI is terrible, especially on Insanity difficulty. Let me describe a situtation i had yesterday... We run into some Blue Sun's Mercs and my partners take cover (so far so good) but then, they decide "hey, i don't like being safe behind this box where the enemy can't shoot me so i'm gonna jump over it and get shot at and die in 2 seconds." seriously, the AI is that bad. either that will happen or they will stand up while behind cover in an attempt to shoot an enemy, but won't go back down when getting shot at, thus leading to instant death on Insanity difficulty. Once again, small gripes I guess, but this game got pecked to death by the small stuff which kept it from being even a DECENT game IMO. The reason i say that is the plot is what i was really dissapointed in. The game consists of one mission: Destroy the Collectors. And that's fine, but you would think there would be more to it then just that with a Bioware game. Nope. That's it. They somehow thought making the storyline consist of finding all ELEVEN allies so you can go on a "suicide" mission (which it is if playing on Insanity with the dumb AI) was a good idea. That's all there is to the story. Really. I wouldn't lie. The actual "story" you could finish in maybe 10 or so hours. All in all, i'm extremely dissapointed in both this game and in the gaming community for giving such a piece of blatant trash good review just cause it's a sequel to such a great game. Thanks Bioware, you have shaken my faith in video games. Expand
  94. JasonK
    Feb 19, 2010
    Actually this game was kind of meh IMO. Yeah the combat is a huge improvement, (not half as good as most proper FPS though) and the cinematic conversations are still kind of cool, and yeah the graphics look slightly more sparkly than before (although they do seem to have a touch less style and feel more generic this time around). All in all, it
  95. Brandon
    Feb 19, 2010
    Excellent. I highly recommend this game to Shooter and RPG fans alike. Excellent streamlined combat system that feels smooth and fast paced. Beautiful graphics missing the dreaded pop-ins from the first game. My favorite part of the game, though, is the characters. Amazingly developed characters voiced by some familiar faces. These characters can all be emotional and dramatic, and they Excellent. I highly recommend this game to Shooter and RPG fans alike. Excellent streamlined combat system that feels smooth and fast paced. Beautiful graphics missing the dreaded pop-ins from the first game. My favorite part of the game, though, is the characters. Amazingly developed characters voiced by some familiar faces. These characters can all be emotional and dramatic, and they can even stir some emotion up in you. The only reason I didn't give this game a full 10 was because the mining mini-game was tedious, although that's minor. I also miss some of the armor and weapon variety, as the weapons have died down to three of each weapon type, and armor is just a few customization pieces. Expand
  96. ZaneB
    Feb 21, 2010
    Definitely a great game! The story is highly rewarding and the characters are very interesting. Despite ME2 being one of the best games ever, I still wish Bioware would have focused more on RPG elements. The experience kind of felt like KOTOR(favorite game ever), except with less, engrossing RPG combat, leveling and equipment.
  97. HarveyB
    Feb 3, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 is an exceptional game in which it surpasses the original in so many aspects. The graphics have taken a jump since Mass Effect. technical hiccups, such as the long elevator loading times have also been eliminated. The story is one of the greatest in Sci-Fi action gaming and can hold its own with the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek. as a Xbox 360 owner, do yourself the favor Mass Effect 2 is an exceptional game in which it surpasses the original in so many aspects. The graphics have taken a jump since Mass Effect. technical hiccups, such as the long elevator loading times have also been eliminated. The story is one of the greatest in Sci-Fi action gaming and can hold its own with the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek. as a Xbox 360 owner, do yourself the favor and get this game. It is an enriching space opera in which you, the player are the person who makes all the decisions and will ultimately, save the galaxy. Game of the year in January? most likely. Expand
  98. Wulfenstein
    Feb 5, 2010
    Well what can I say another game with huge hype but nothing really when you get to play it. I didn't get to play the first one just heard from word of mouth really but didn't get interested in it and gee sex scenes in games there borig enough in movies let alone in games and it's a crappy selling point to push a product ooo thers's a sex scene or you see some actress Well what can I say another game with huge hype but nothing really when you get to play it. I didn't get to play the first one just heard from word of mouth really but didn't get interested in it and gee sex scenes in games there borig enough in movies let alone in games and it's a crappy selling point to push a product ooo thers's a sex scene or you see some actress naked whoopiee...Anyway I bought the ME2 yes I agree kinda kool having your own ship recruiting your own crew kinda remined me of the series Firefly, you get to fly every where kinda like KOTOR..The controls felt stiff like GRAW they should have used the movement like RB6 V2 or Rogue Trooper the chracter has flexability to move in the enviroment..The team controls or team AI dumb seen better on RB6 V2 and The conflict series games..No destructable enviroments seen so much of it lately to have a game with nothing in it kinda felt weird..Graphics could have been alot better after seeing GOW 2, COD MW 1,2, Dead Space...Weapons not much upgrading there and the sysstems is untidy rather than keep going back into upgrade everytime you should be able to select what you want or can afford then close the screen..Whats with the planet scanning and probe man truthfully I feel asleep and the only reason I woke up is because my game pad vibrated to tell me that it found something..If your gonna send probes out at least we could find a lost base or a crashed ship or something not boring mining whatever it is..Or you scan a planet and it glows in different areas what minerals are there and you just slect areas and send out multiprobes at once half the time and gets you back into the game..There no close combat weapons most of the time the enemy comes towards you wanna do more than buttstroke with your weapon you wanna goto to town with a energy sword or chainsaw and just hack and move on. Guess maybe they do better in number 3 see what happens. Expand
  99. TimD
    Feb 5, 2010
    EA is a greedy company that ruins video games by "stream lining" it, which is a euphemism for "dumbed down". This is not Mass Effect, it's Gears of War with dialog trees. On my First play through as a Vanguard on veteran difficulty, I felt that skills were such an after thought that all I ended up doing was shooting as if I were playing a cookie cutter TPS. Had I rated this game EA is a greedy company that ruins video games by "stream lining" it, which is a euphemism for "dumbed down". This is not Mass Effect, it's Gears of War with dialog trees. On my First play through as a Vanguard on veteran difficulty, I felt that skills were such an after thought that all I ended up doing was shooting as if I were playing a cookie cutter TPS. Had I rated this game after I beat it I probably would have given it a 7/10, but when I went back and played as a sentinel on insane difficulty, it finally felt more like an RPG with TPS elements, also known as Mass Effect. They promised that our decisions in the first would be significant in the 2nd, but WOW were they lieing. Like you would think the decision to let the council live or die would be a game changer, but no... only difference is 1 short cut-scene of the council and a few lines of text. It is like the WRPG hit an amazing peak with Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 1 and just now lost its soul. Thanks EA! Expand
  100. ChristianR
    Feb 5, 2010
    This game is not a massive improvement over but is still quite better than ME1. The charm/intimidate option relies on your actual choices instead of just assigning points. The game was noticably more cinematic and had great character driven story. There were some hiccups though: the new leveling system takes getting used to, it makes way to many references to the first game via the This game is not a massive improvement over but is still quite better than ME1. The charm/intimidate option relies on your actual choices instead of just assigning points. The game was noticably more cinematic and had great character driven story. There were some hiccups though: the new leveling system takes getting used to, it makes way to many references to the first game via the private terminal, and the mining is the epitome of boredom. But these flaws are relatively minor in the face of a story that put most books and movies to shame, characters with great depth, and the revitalized and more strategic combat system. I wholly recommend this game. Expand

1. Official Xbox Magazine
    Mass Effect 2 overcomes its few gameplay weaknesses with a fantastic weave of dynamic combat, lavish presentation, and engaging character and weapon customization. But for all the myriad improvements that make Mass Effect 2's visuals so appealing and its combat so exhilarating, it's ultimately the way it moves us that makes it so memorable. [Feb 2010, p.56]
  2. games(TM)
    Despite all of the ways Mass Effect 2 is more engaging to play and explore, after 35 remarkable hours it was the characters that stayed with us… Game of the year in January? Oh, go on then. [Feb 2010, p.112]
  3. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Both an astonishing RPG and confident shooter, Mass Effect 2 is daring, shocking and often awe-inspiring in its use of choice. This is the future of storytelling in videogames. [Issue#, p.85]