5.7

1. Mar 18, 2012
    Great story, excellent gameplay... WORST ENDING EVER. This feel like a slap to the face to every Bioware fan that invested time in this game. The ending could be described as follow: PAY FOR THE NEXT DLC TO KNOW THE REAL ENDING! Absolutely and terribly disappointing.
  2. Mar 19, 2012
    The last 15 minutes destroys the game and the entire franchise. The end contradicts the entire series and makes any future DLC irrelevant. It's far better to just pretend the mass effect series ended at ME 2.
  3. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is with a heavy heart I feel obliged to negatively review mass effect 3, I loved the series and ME3 does everything right up until the final ten minutes. The conclusion they have provided for this loved trilogy is nonsensical, leaves glaring plot holes and hammers home the fact that nothing you have done in the last one hundred and thirty odd hours of gaming makes any difference or impact to the ending, which is ridiculous in a game where the nature of choice and consequence is a key theme.

The developers made several promises in the run up to the release, mostly revolving around how your choices would impact the ending and it wouldn't be just a "press a, b or c" ending omatic, which is precisley what it turned out to be.

It is sad that the ending ruins any inclination to replay the series, if they were to change the ending into something more linked to the themes and offering a bit more choice I would be happy changing this 1 score to a 10, as up until the final 10 minutes, the game is an awesome, emotional rollercoaster, but the current ending is so bad it completely destroys it.

Follow the Retake mass effect 3 campaign, raise some money for a great charity and maybe convince Bioware to fix what could have been a great game and an amazing send off to the series.
  4. Mar 20, 2012
    Up until the ending, this game is an 8.5, due to a myriad a minor issues like too much auto-dialogue, a worthless journal, some gameplay issues and a weak intro. It's ruined by the ending, which really is as bad as you've heard. It's 5 minutes pretentious, non-nonsensical garbage masquerading as avant-garde, postmodernist Cosmicism that negates all the decisions you've made, forcesUp until the ending, this game is an 8.5, due to a myriad a minor issues like too much auto-dialogue, a worthless journal, some gameplay issues and a weak intro. It's ruined by the ending, which really is as bad as you've heard. It's 5 minutes pretentious, non-nonsensical garbage masquerading as avant-garde, postmodernist Cosmicism that negates all the decisions you've made, forces Shepard to speak and act out of character to enact one of several virtually identical and equally ridiculous endings. It offers no explanation, no closure, no sense of accomplishment, no epilogue and makes absolutely no sense. All it does is leave the player feeling betrayed and robbed.
    I can't believe this ending was created by the brilliant writers of the first two games. Oh wait, that's because it's not: those writers write for The Old Republic now. It's not enough that you're expected to pay for day one DLC, if you want decent writing you have to pay a monthly fee for their MMO. I blame EA.
  5. Mar 21, 2012
    Simply not worth 60 euros. I would have expected this kind of experience from some smaller and less established publisher - not Bioware. The game was in overall balless and shallow. I didn't mind the ending (although it sucked) but the fact that there were so few really good scenes in this play.
  6. Mar 21, 2012
    In a vacuum, this game doesn't suck. Objectively, it was the weakest of the 3 and that is why it deserves the low rating. Therefore in context, this was just not a good game. Likely you already know the ending was so bad that it overshadowed so much of the rest of it. In an RPG, the story is kind of important to the overall enjoyment of the game. Part of the problem is that the storyIn a vacuum, this game doesn't suck. Objectively, it was the weakest of the 3 and that is why it deserves the low rating. Therefore in context, this was just not a good game. Likely you already know the ending was so bad that it overshadowed so much of the rest of it. In an RPG, the story is kind of important to the overall enjoyment of the game. Part of the problem is that the story was so weighed down from the previous 2 games that it collapsed under the weight. Nothing was new. It was boring and predictable in quite a few places. Somehow planet scanning even got worse! Also, there were major flaws that mechanically drug it down also. I don't recall a single mini-game. It was just walking around pressing "A" button. Without giving anything away, the mechanic in the downtime makes Sheperd an eavesdropping weirdo. He just walked around like a creepy guardian angel. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun and the combat is better in someways, but on the whole, its just not as good as its predecessors. That is what I think bothers so many people. I pre-ordered the CE from amazon. Currently, I am torn about sending it back and just forgetting the whole thing ever happened. Swing and a miss. Expand
  7. Mar 21, 2012
    There was something disturbingly familiar about the ending before me. the three choices was all deus ex machina

"you're the reaper, shepard"

the truth split my skull open, a glaring green light
    washing the lies away.
    all of my past was just pointless choices, words hanging
    with no meaning.

i was the reaper

funny as hell, it was the most horrible ending i could think of.
  8. Mar 24, 2012
    This game does not belong on the shelves of public video game stores. It might as well be half a disk, since the disk itself you'd be getting would have essentially the same amount of content and care put into it. For all I know, the game may be fantastic. It might. However, I'll never know as long as it's incomplete.
  9. Apr 13, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 presents a text book example of "Just finish it so we can sell it." The game is riddled with cut corners; Be it sprites in the game, stock photos, plot holes deep enough to fit the Reaper Armada in, and content cut from the finished product, everything combines to paint ME3 as a sloppy, unfinished product. The gamplay is the average coverbased shooter that ME is known for.Mass Effect 3 presents a text book example of "Just finish it so we can sell it." The game is riddled with cut corners; Be it sprites in the game, stock photos, plot holes deep enough to fit the Reaper Armada in, and content cut from the finished product, everything combines to paint ME3 as a sloppy, unfinished product. The gamplay is the average coverbased shooter that ME is known for. The RPG elements for the game are surprisingly better since ME2, more reminiscent of those found in ME1. The writing in the game is, like I said earlier, riddled with plotholes but still offers fleeting moments of genuine goodness which makes me wonder if someone else was in charge of them. And of course, there's the ending. Pre-release comments stated that ME3's ending wouldn't be just "an A, B, or C choice" and that "player choices would really matter", these statements are completely false. The game ends based on a final A, B, or C choice resulting in virtually identical endings, differing only in color. Mass Effect 3 dies not with a bang but a slow whimper that begs to just be forgotten. Expand
  10. Apr 22, 2012
    Terrible ending, devolution of game play, auto dialogue.. It's clear EA wanted this game made to cater to the most broad, widest, biggest, general audience possible and in doing so destroyed what made the game good to begin with. The unique setting,story, and character interaction blended with third person shooter action made Mass Effect 1 and 2, two of the greatest games of all time, andTerrible ending, devolution of game play, auto dialogue.. It's clear EA wanted this game made to cater to the most broad, widest, biggest, general audience possible and in doing so destroyed what made the game good to begin with. The unique setting,story, and character interaction blended with third person shooter action made Mass Effect 1 and 2, two of the greatest games of all time, and lead to Mass Effect 3 being one of the most anticipated games of all time. Despite the great critical and commercial success of the first two entries in the ME trilogy that most game developers could only dream of, EA and Bioware wanted to broaden the target audience to appeal to a much wider demographic, and in doing so, shot them selves, and the ME fiction in the foot; effectively killing what could very well have been the greatest trilogy of games the medium had ever seen. The uniqueness of the game, and cohesion of the story, were sacrificed for something that only die-hard, mountain dew chugging Michael Bay fans would be proud of.

In their commercially driven motivation for Mass Effect 3, Bioware made the mistake of thinking that making the game more like the handful of other action-oriented shooters out there would make this game better; which was a tremendous mistake. the unique blend of story, characters, player driven narrative, impactful decisions made by the player, and solid TPS action is what made the game so popular. Attempting to make the game like every other TPS game out there, turned a master piece into just another bland, white/black, piece of gaming mediocrity. The most sad part of it all, is just the fact that had they stayed the course, the ME universe wouldve remained a cash-cow for years and years to come. EA has showed incompetence on a major level in the past 5 years of gaming, and their lack of foresight on this game alone goes above and beyond "dropping the ball". This kind of blunder in any other industry would see entire executive boards sacked, and call for serious coming-to-jesus meetings within the company to determine where they went wrong and how to make it right. Time to stop focusing on marketing, and start actually making good games. Just because the critics on game review sites THAT YOU FUND, think your game is perfect; doesnt mean anything.
  11. May 9, 2012
    I cannot believe this is what happened to the series. I made three different Shepard's, plugged in hours crafting each one for a specific play through. I held off on playing the game until I was done with this semester of classes because I wanted to seriously throw myself in. I've been dreading it because of what I've been hearing about the fiasco of an ending. Well I finally sat down andI cannot believe this is what happened to the series. I made three different Shepard's, plugged in hours crafting each one for a specific play through. I held off on playing the game until I was done with this semester of classes because I wanted to seriously throw myself in. I've been dreading it because of what I've been hearing about the fiasco of an ending. Well I finally sat down and played it, DAY 1 DLC included on my purchase because EA believes unfinished games being released are a great way to introduce content. Well never again.

I have been following Bioware since knights of the old republic and I've enjoyed nearly every game (Dragon Age 2 excluded) flaws and all. Mass Effect 3 however, has somehow managed to instill a serious and incredibly ANNOYING sense of betrayal. How can a game company betray me? I'm not asking as though, "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS ME BIOWARE??" It's more, "No no this makes no sense, you are not an individual capable of actually betraying me Bioware, you are a game company. The concept is ridiculous." But even so! It's as if an old friend suddenly spit in my face and left smiling after I handed him seventy dollars. It's that feeling that has me just so disgusted that I would even feel like that over a video game. I was genuinely invested in this series and now I'm left just mulling over from time to time how horrible it was at the end.

My choices didn't matter, my time put into the series had no real effect on the outcome. Killing or saving the Rachni Queen has no real impact. Uniting the Geth and the Quarian's has no real impact. The replay value of this game in my opinion is non-existent. My three Shepards have no genuine purpose other than to succumb to the will of a genocidal star child that shows up at the last ten minutes of the game. Why are there such massive plot holes in this final installment? If the Mass Relays exploding don't wipe out billions of lives and strand countless more can't the writers see how sloppy their work is? I've never made a review before, and this is my first time posting on metacritic. This final game to a wonderful series has left me with a bitter taste and a hole in my wallet. My opinion may not matter EA, but my loyalty and money once so freely given to Bioware will be taken elsewhere. I strongly suggest others do the same.
  12. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The endings are all massively disappointing. Your options seem to kill almost everyone, and the way the mass relays react to the energy surge seems to show them blowing up regardless of the option you pick. Shephard dies no matter how well you prepare or what you do. The galaxy at war map never **** changes. It's always "offline". Your readiness never shifts from 50%. So yeah, thanks Bioware. Thanks for building up such a great game and then giving me a rushed and **** ending.

All of those complaints said and out of the way. I was really happy with the game. Enjoying everything that happened for the most part. Some of the dialogue was goofy at times and I don't mean in a sappy way. I mean it was showing poor writing. Whoever approved these endings needs to be **** fired. I would give this game a 9/10 if the endings weren't so terrible and half-assed.
  13. Mar 11, 2012
    They shipped a broken game. My score for the game reflects that. One of the Mass Effect universes key components was the character import across the games. This now doesn't work. Shame on BioWare & EA.
  14. Mar 12, 2012
    Like many others, I have been a loyal fan, looking forward to each new release in the game since the first. Mass Effect 2 had its rough spots (hammerhead, inventory "fixes", etc.) but at least the decisions you made in ME1, for the most part, had a measurable impact throughout the game, right up until the ending. By comparison, your choices in ME1 and ME2 have next to no impact onLike many others, I have been a loyal fan, looking forward to each new release in the game since the first. Mass Effect 2 had its rough spots (hammerhead, inventory "fixes", etc.) but at least the decisions you made in ME1, for the most part, had a measurable impact throughout the game, right up until the ending. By comparison, your choices in ME1 and ME2 have next to no impact on gameplay in ME3, and next to no impact on the ending either. I say ending, because no matter what choices you make in any of the three games, at the end, all your choices amount to the same thing.

The ending cinematics are basically identical, as are the consequences. Absolutely no closure is given to any of the plot lines for you, your companions, or the galaxy as a whole. Not a single decision you make has a measurable impact on the outcome.

Furthermore, the entire lead-in to the ending seems rushed. I was expecting an epic fight, perhaps several of them, either before or after the conclusion of the Earth plot line. Instead, the plot line ends at Earth, and there is only a single battle.

Throughout the game, despite completing every single side quest, my readiness never went above 50%, and the "galaxy at war" map never did anything except state that it was unavailable.

Endgame aside, there are other reasons that the gameplay itself is the worst of the three. Planetary exploration has been completely removed. No mako. No hammerhead. Nothing. Some planets have a single thing you can scan for a-la ME2, but most don't. The weapon customization makes the inventory system even worse than the ME1 inventory system. In the most important fights, no matter what kind of Shepard you are playing, there is only ONE option: Run and gun.

It seems the developers idea of a challenging fight is simply "drop more tough creatures on the character, and then shake the screen. Also, make it impossible for the player to unambiguously decide if they want to run, hurdle, duck into cover, or anything else by using the same button for all three." For characters more focused on powers, finesse, sniping, or stealth, many of the fights are nearly impossible even on normal or easy difficulty settings.

You can no longer carry a heavy weapon with you into battle, of any kind. When the developers think you need one, they will hide it on the battlefield somewhere, and after dying 5 or 10 times, you might find it. You have a flashlight now, but you cannot control when it is turned off or on. Very useful on dark levels that the developers didn't think were "dark enough" to warrant use of the flashlight.

All in all, this game is a huge disappointment. There is not enough to explore, your decisions do not matter, and combat often steps over the line from "challenging" to "obnoxiously difficult" for classes other than the soldier. The choices available at the end all feel more like losses than victories, and don't differ from one another. Bioware says there are 17 endings but in reality, there are simply 17 slightly changed versions of the same ending.

I've played through the first two games 8 or 10 times each, and I'm struggling to find a reason to complete a play through of this one more than once. If my decisions don't matter, then what's the point?
  15. Mar 12, 2012
    This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to review a game in my 28 years of gaming. I have played Mass Effect 1 and enjoyed it so much that I refused to trade it. I played Mass Effect 2, multiple times and I kept that one as well. I spent a lot of time working on my character, making the choices, really defining my experience, so I happily purchase my Mass Effect 3. I love theThis is the first time I have ever felt compelled to review a game in my 28 years of gaming. I have played Mass Effect 1 and enjoyed it so much that I refused to trade it. I played Mass Effect 2, multiple times and I kept that one as well. I spent a lot of time working on my character, making the choices, really defining my experience, so I happily purchase my Mass Effect 3. I love the game until the last ten or fifteen minutes. When the ending comes, it is not the disappointment of this series that is over, or joy that my characters journey is complete. It is of course the emptiness that every choice i made in the other games did not matter. I played all the side quests offered, even tried the day one dlc to see if that would make a difference. No... This ending is bad, the three choices offered are horrible. If I had known it would have ended like this, I would never have purchased it or wasted my time in such a manner. I tried changing several variables in the story...to no avail. I don't think I have ever been so let down by an entertainment medium since probably the Star Wars prequels or the Matrix in film. Expand
  16. Mar 12, 2012
    A) This game is fantastic and a lot of fun to play.
    B) The entire experience is ruined by that fact that you cannot import your character from previous games.
    A) This game is fantastic and a lot of fun to play.

If an entire trilogy is predicated on carrying a custom character across all games in the series, it's both laughable and offensive to fans that the third game would not permit that same custom face to be brought forward. Yes, it's possible to recreate your custom face using the editor. No, it's not fun and a major strike against BioWare quality assurance.
  17. Mar 12, 2012
    Gutwrenching, unfortunately. For a long term fan (played ME1 and ME2 multiple times to tweak my actions) - I find myself extremely disappointed and frankly - let down by how this ended. The game plays well, but honestly - if you are a long term fan - I cannot suggest you go down the road of hopelesness where actions do not seem to matter and it is not just that answers about ME main plotGutwrenching, unfortunately. For a long term fan (played ME1 and ME2 multiple times to tweak my actions) - I find myself extremely disappointed and frankly - let down by how this ended. The game plays well, but honestly - if you are a long term fan - I cannot suggest you go down the road of hopelesness where actions do not seem to matter and it is not just that answers about ME main plot are not given, there are a whole lot of new questions. But sorry - the series is now over. I got upset enough with this that from now on, I'll be buying BioWare games only 2nd hand. Someone in the company had to think this was acceptable and I am not supporting them anymore. Expand
  18. Mar 7, 2012
    Bear in mind that I am about 7 hours into this title as I write this review. I am not waiting until I finish it, because I refuse to waste one more minute of my time on this game. I could not be more disappointed. It all started when I could not import my ME1+2 character face into the new game. This is a recognized bug which is being addressed. I'm not forgiving them for it becauseBear in mind that I am about 7 hours into this title as I write this review. I am not waiting until I finish it, because I refuse to waste one more minute of my time on this game. I could not be more disappointed. It all started when I could not import my ME1+2 character face into the new game. This is a recognized bug which is being addressed. I'm not forgiving them for it because they new about it well before release and chose to do nothing. And it's a horrible way to start a STORY based RPG. It's like watching your favorite TV show for years only to have them replace the main character with another actor in the final season. The Story, (Which is the main reason I play Mass Effect) is terrible. I won't give away anything here which makes it very hard to explain why it's so bad, but I dont understand how you can go from being the Galaxy rock star Shepard from the end of ME2 to this pathetic lowlife that starts out in ME3. And the dialog options are redundant. There was one point where my only 2 dialog options basically said the exact same thing. I'm paraphrasing here, but the options were something like, "No way in Hell!" and "Over my dead body!". I guess I'm not allowed to agree with that NPC's statement.

Holstering your weapon has been removed. While this may not sound like a big deal, it really is. In the game environment there is a ton ammo, datapads, medpacs and all sorts of things you need to find and pick up. Since your toon is stuck in a rifle ready position, it makes it extremely difficult to find these objects. In the old games, holstering your weapon would open a free camera mode that would allow you to examine your environment. To me, this is an extremely frustrating aspect of this title. It's almost like a wannabe Gears of War. The Roleplay aspect of this game has been replaced with yet another crappy 3rd person shooter.

This game has been "dumbed down" to satisfy the masses...unfortunately you are screwing over your initial fan base on the hopes that a new fan might pick up your games finale. I'm not sure what happened to the Bioware I've loved since Baldur's Gate, but I'm sure many of the poor decisions that went into this game were heavily influenced by their new EA overlords because this company hasn't been the same since that buyout.
  19. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As much of a fan of Mass Effect as I am, I cannot get around how much of a let down this game is. Most of the dialogue choices are all ready made for you. Most of the choices you made are reversed (SPOILER: I picked Anderson as counsel, not Udina, yet Udina is counsel). The RPG elements have been dumbed down to a shell of what they were, yet combat was improved. By improved, I mean making your powers charge slower depending on how much your equipment weighs. But, the worst offender is the story. Certain people die for no reason other than forced dramatic effect. All it does is enrage the players who have invested their time and money in the first two games, defining their own path for the universe, only to see that it ultimately did not matter what they did at all. It would all end up the same way, after all. Don't listen to the critics, listen to the fans. They know what makes a game good, and this isn't it. Expand
  20. Mar 8, 2012
    Having grown up playing Baldur's Gate, I am saddened to see what Bioware has become. I considered DA2 a disaster made by other team. I considered ME2 a fluke. However ME3 confirmed this trend. Fetch quests instead of deep, epic plots. Gameplay consisting of shooting wave after wave of enemies. Shallow characters pandering to "beach party" MTV crowds, cheap scenes that(I guess) should evokeHaving grown up playing Baldur's Gate, I am saddened to see what Bioware has become. I considered DA2 a disaster made by other team. I considered ME2 a fluke. However ME3 confirmed this trend. Fetch quests instead of deep, epic plots. Gameplay consisting of shooting wave after wave of enemies. Shallow characters pandering to "beach party" MTV crowds, cheap scenes that(I guess) should evoke some emotion but are completely hallow, mysterious aliens turned into "Giant nasty robots". ME3 lost all the charm of the ME1, and seems like a glorified shooter. Bioware no longer makes RPG games I am afraid. Sorry, but I am no longer your fan. Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Apparently my last comment was deleted, allow me to explain I am not trolling. Mass Effect is a wonderful series, we grow to love our character and the universe as a whole only to have it ruined with the ending. ME3s gameplay was relatively awesome and the story was great, but any gamer that is seriously into this series will tell you that the ending was horrible and left you feeling like crap. Hopefully Bioware fixes this with some DLCs, also I couldn't import my old characters, they used a stock photo for Tali's face, the ending scene is done with another stock image, the ending is very reminiscent of Deus Ex Human Revolution and its just a terrible letdown by what was my favorite company. Expand
  22. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved Mass Effect 1&2, but it ends there. Mass Effect 3 has got to be the biggest letdown in video game history. This game is nothing like the first 2. It's actually pretty straight forward, zero to no exploration, the mini games are gone & forming a space crew has gotten stale. The only thing this game has is great graphics, other than that it's garbage. BORING.
  23. Mar 26, 2012
    As a avid fan of the first two installments of the series, I have to say that ME3 was disappointing beyond belief. The story completely falls apart in the last ten minutes of the game. As the final secrets are revealed, the player is confronted by the horrible truth that THE STORY MAKES NO SENSE. Clearly, the lead writer was out of his philisophical and intellectual depth. ThisAs a avid fan of the first two installments of the series, I have to say that ME3 was disappointing beyond belief. The story completely falls apart in the last ten minutes of the game. As the final secrets are revealed, the player is confronted by the horrible truth that THE STORY MAKES NO SENSE. Clearly, the lead writer was out of his philisophical and intellectual depth. This combined with EA's dispicable grab for cash with the day one DLC has made me decide never to buy another game from this publisher. Expand
  24. Mar 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let first say that I am a HUGE fan of this series, it was an amazing exploration of concept of making choices and how those choices shape the game you play. It was a true Space Opera that had characters that for the first time, made me 'feel' for them. I cared what happened to these characters, kudos to the voice actors for literally breathing life into these great characters. This game, allowed me to craft a character that made the impossible possible...s/he was a character that was a SOLDIER who NEVER gave up...who always strives to do what it right. This game allowed us to make choices and those choices affected each of the previous game's endings. I was hoping for more of the same in ME3. For the most part, I got it...however, at the very end of the game...the tone of the game changed. The Shepard I had roll-played up until the last 10 minutes of the game, ceased to exist, and what I was left with was a doppelganger...it looked like my Shepard, but this character gave up. This Shepard did NOT fight until the end...This Shepard 'accepted' fate. The last 10 minutes of this game was so out of character, so artistically different from what came before it, then I lost my immersion. It was so out of sync with what I had played before that all I was left with was a WTF in my mind eye. I found that I did not want to even finish the game out. These last minutes felt like they belonged to another game entirely. There were so many plot holes that the entire ending sequence felt unpolished, rushed, and tacked on. I swore I could see the gum, duct tape, and baling wire holding things together. I can understand artistic license to change things as you see fit...but this? It was thematically different enough that for me, I could not believe that this had been approved. THESE last 10 minutes of the game, changed what would have been an easy 9 score from me to a 1. Disappointment doesn't even come close to the feelings I had upon the completion of the game...and the Stargazer was also and odd choice. Why couldn't I get scenes showing where the rest of my crew went? How about a scene honoring Shepard for what they did for the Galaxy? This ending ruins this 3rd game, and nearly ruins the entire trilogy...I cannot give it a score higher than a 1. Expand
  25. Mar 17, 2012
    Waiting for the finale to the epic trilogy that is mass effect was agonizing. All the choices and hours invested over the past two games (and 5 years) were promised to carry over to the final game in a summation of our actions, good and bad, leading up to this point. This promise was completely broken as the ending played out and the obvious disregard for said promise was thrown out theWaiting for the finale to the epic trilogy that is mass effect was agonizing. All the choices and hours invested over the past two games (and 5 years) were promised to carry over to the final game in a summation of our actions, good and bad, leading up to this point. This promise was completely broken as the ending played out and the obvious disregard for said promise was thrown out the window. Instead, you are presented with three choices that are all entirely too similar, rife with plot holes and inconsistencies that would make the Bush administration blush. Major decisions throughout the series were ignored, leaving the player to have no real reason to agonize over the decisions in the first place. We are not entitled, whiny gamers, but simply gamers disappointed with a promise that was not kept. Bioware, make it right. Expand
  26. Mar 19, 2012
    This was my favourite trilogy until the last 10 mins. The last 10 mins just undermined and completely destroyed a franchise. The rest of ME3 is absolubtely stellar but the last 10 mins have just absolubtely eviscerated my will to play these games ever again. Rent - do not buy.
  27. Mar 12, 2012
    An entire game experience ruined by the last 15 minutes of the 3rd game the endings have no meaning what so ever. You just UNITED the entire galaxy against the reapers no matter the race or if synthetic or not and yet the ending is about how there will allways be war between synthetics and organics? wtf? wtf? wtf? wtf? there is 1 **** synthetic race that you just gave true SENTIENCE to andAn entire game experience ruined by the last 15 minutes of the 3rd game the endings have no meaning what so ever. You just UNITED the entire galaxy against the reapers no matter the race or if synthetic or not and yet the ending is about how there will allways be war between synthetics and organics? wtf? wtf? wtf? wtf? there is 1 **** synthetic race that you just gave true SENTIENCE to and they became the nearly as Awesome as Legion from it. Evry part of this game was epic except it started lacking more and more choices like we had in the previous games the part towards the ending was RUSHED allso you started noticing less and less to do before a priority mission well **** in the end it was just NEXT Priority mission. all in all my dissapointment with the ending was so big I was liturally furious for several hours it has ruined the best game i've played to date. How VERY sad on biowares part that they've failed so Insanely. Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    The last 15 minutes negates the previous +90 hours worth of gameplay. It's worse than a mediocre game, it invalidates all of the franchise. Proceed with caution.
  29. Mar 13, 2012
    Seriously disappointed in the end to an otherwise great series. Bought $5 and $10 dlc for all the games, and spent countless hours trying to get perfect play throughs on ME1 and ME2 only to find out that my reward was almost useless war assets. Was seriously disappointed how however you played you still got pretty much the same ending video that yet was promised that the story would branchSeriously disappointed in the end to an otherwise great series. Bought $5 and $10 dlc for all the games, and spent countless hours trying to get perfect play throughs on ME1 and ME2 only to find out that my reward was almost useless war assets. Was seriously disappointed how however you played you still got pretty much the same ending video that yet was promised that the story would branch into unexpected ways. Even more disappointed that to get the "perfect ending"( doesn't really make sense why they would say that their ending is the "perfect" one) one had to participate in multiplayer in a game that is supposed to be a story driven rpg. In summation Mass Effect 3 was not worth the $80 i spent and the 6 month delay. Expand
  30. Mar 19, 2012
    The ending... is all I have to say . I have to wonder what went through their minds when making this. Did they not learn from DA2? Nope of course not because in the end when you have space magic and money who cares about the customer reaction. Very sad to see the ending of the trilogy come to this.
  31. Apr 4, 2012
    As a big Mass Effect fan, this game was a must have for me. I loved every minute of each game. The action in this part has improved over the second one, the graphics look better and the story is still top notch. While playing the game, i noticed my options (choices) were less than the other parts, but I didn't find it to be a big problem. The thirty or so hours were great, until I got tilAs a big Mass Effect fan, this game was a must have for me. I loved every minute of each game. The action in this part has improved over the second one, the graphics look better and the story is still top notch. While playing the game, i noticed my options (choices) were less than the other parts, but I didn't find it to be a big problem. The thirty or so hours were great, until I got til the ending...

Sadly but true, the series took a dive I couldn't have seen coming. The ending felt unfinished, non sensical and just plain out of place. Normally, I replay the Mass Effect series multiple times. I haven't felt like playing this one any more. The ending truly was the downfall for the series.
  32. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had purchased Mass Effect 1 and 2 in addition to all the DLCs because the games were very good. The first one focused on the ME universe while the second focused more on your squad. They each had teething problems, but they were well done.

ME3 had some great scenes such as the Genophage issue between the Krogan and the Salarians as well as the Geth and Qurian conflict, however, after that it seemed to fall apart. It was if two different writing teams were involved. Bioware was pushing this whole idea about take back Earth, instead it was just a straight run with waves of enemies. If you felt you were going to make the tough decisions such as the ME2 sUicide mission, it doesnt even come close. You would think that all the decisions made previously, the major conflict resolution such as the Geth and krogans and the war assets would make an impact at the end. Nope, nothing they are counted as war assets which remain at 50% unless you play the coop multiplayer. They are counted as points and you don't see anything of them, except for the Krogan at the end for a brief cameo. Of course, don't get me started about the ending which Bioware lied about, essentially saying the end will be different and we won't give you a choice A,b or C, when in fact they do, instead they are red, green and blue.

I could go on, but I am sure by now, you will see the gist of it. I canal understand people who say they played the entire game including the ending, they cannot say that it was rushed or just a complete mess.
  33. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes the ending is that bad and yes the fan outrage is wholly justified. Even putting the ending aside it is by far the worst entry in the series no planetary exploration, all the side quests are fetch quests, theyâ Expand
  34. Apr 17, 2012
    Lets take an incredible 3 course meal made by superb chefs, and then take a big fat steamer right on top of it. This is what mass effect 3 would be like, if it was food.
  35. Mar 9, 2012
    Mass Effect Trilogy

Explained with the help of a bunch of apples. Imagine if i had one apple, this represnts mass effect 1, its all gravy but its clear it could get better. Imagine if i had two apples, this represents mass effect 2, its made some great improvements and despite some unvaried level design its a great game. Now imagine if i gave you no apples and TOOK A **** ON YOUR
    Mass Effect Trilogy

Explained with the help of a bunch of apples.

Now imagine if i gave you no apples and TOOK A **** ON YOUR FACE.

This represents mass effect 3, it actually manages to destroy what made it successfull ala modern warfare 3.
    How a team of people actually **** up so MONUMENTALLY, is beyond me.

In fact its simple there target market has become wider than a hookers oriface and also as ****ING FILTHY AS ONE. DAY ONE DLC, NO CHOICES, EVERYTHINGS ****ING IRRELIVENT, CANNON PLOT,CANNON ROMANCES, SPACE BROKEBACK ****ING MOUNTAIN, AUTO **** IN MY FACE DIALOGUE, THE CAST FROM JERSEY ****ING SHORE, GEARS OF WARS HORD MODE.

IF YOU ACTUALLY SQUINT ALL THE WAY THROUGH ITS KIND OF LIKE A SPACE BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN GEARS OF WHORES.

YOU FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON YOU.
    YOU FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON ME.

THIS YEAR HAS MADE ME REALISE THAT COD FRANCHISE AND BIOWARE IN GENERALLY AFTER ****ING UP TO MAJOR FRANCHISES, ITLL BE THREE SOON WHEN THEY PUT PINK ****ING ARMY MEN IN COMMAND AND **** YOURSELF. THEY CAN ALL SUCK MY RINGO STAR.
  36. Mar 17, 2012
    I'm not even mad that the ending sucked. I'm mad that it sucked and DIDN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! It was like if Francis Ford Coppola died right before shooting the last scene of The Godfather. Then some idiot hack came in to take over and scribbled a final scene together by finger painting his feces on a canvas. And to top it all off Bioware has the goddam nerve to TELL US TO BUY UPCOMINGI'm not even mad that the ending sucked. I'm mad that it sucked and DIDN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! It was like if Francis Ford Coppola died right before shooting the last scene of The Godfather. Then some idiot hack came in to take over and scribbled a final scene together by finger painting his feces on a canvas. And to top it all off Bioware has the goddam nerve to TELL US TO BUY UPCOMING DLC IF WE WANT TO LEARN MORE! Tell you what Bioware, you can come over here and suck on MY DLC. Expand
  37. Mar 19, 2012
    It's sad to see this great game end this way. The ending, or rather lack of one, is appalling. Absolutely none of the decisions you've made in the game, or in ME1/ME2 make any difference, and the end result is always the same just with different color, it leaves you with a feeling never wanting to touch Mass Effect again. The end of the game offers no closure or what's even worse doesn'tIt's sad to see this great game end this way. The ending, or rather lack of one, is appalling. Absolutely none of the decisions you've made in the game, or in ME1/ME2 make any difference, and the end result is always the same just with different color, it leaves you with a feeling never wanting to touch Mass Effect again. The end of the game offers no closure or what's even worse doesn't make sense at all Expand
  38. Apr 4, 2012
    This game was amazing.....till the end. I felt hallow and sick because of this ending. I'm going to pretend it never happened. No choice, major plotholes and no closure.
  39. Apr 10, 2012
    CAUTION The author is not afraid of repercussion of this article, unlike â
  40. Mar 8, 2012
    Another crap space shooter rehash, this garbage is killing the gaming industry. When will you silly publishers stop funding this filth and start promoting innovation in games again? Games need depth, not pay-to-win multi player and push button - receive win single player.
  41. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just start off by saying i don't give a damn about the co-op, the single player has always been what I've purchased the game for (so this is a review of the single player). I've owned every single mass effect game since the very first one and i must have replayed them at least 4 times each (excluding this one) to get the perfect ending so that it could transition the perfect way into the next game. i even re-bought them on the computer so i could relive them again and make even better choices for the next game. the problem with this game is the fact that most and yes i mean MOST of the choices you've made throughout the previous games are either changed in the case of the Councillor i chose or completely discarded in the case of almost everything else. starting up this game i was really annoyed that they completely removed the idea that the (now) Admiral Anderson was ever the Councillor (and that's who i chose because Udina is a prick) it just erases you're choice and assumes you chose Udina so that he could betray you. as for the conversation mechanic (i first noticed this in the conversation with the illusive man where he decides he wants to control the reapers) the dialogue options are no longer choices to be made, it is just choosing how you word you're response (with only a few exceptions that don't really matter during the course of the game like: cure the Genophage or tell people you cured the Genophage and everyone belives you, like you cured the Genophage!), there is no more save him/ kill him its now "tell him to leave/ yell at him he needs to leave" and that continued to bug the living hell out of me for the rest of the game. as for the paragon/ renegade levels i despised the fact that you cant use a mixture, you go heavily one way or heavily the other, otherwise you dont have a high enough level of them to do anything with them starting about half-way through the game. not to mention that there we're a grand total of 0 paragon/renegade choices or interrupts that made a difference throughout the game ie: Kia Leng, he stabs at you, renegade interrupt you break his sword and then stab him and then say something/ no interrupt he misses and you stab him saying the same thing and doing the same motion as before. the followers were a disappointment as-well; just seeing alot of the followers and not being able to use them, or even see them more than once or twice throughout the game (excluding the last level where u see all of them, one at a time through a projector in a little conversation where there is one dialogue option each like: encourage/ remind what is at stake) and the fact that they killed off several of my favorite followers without giving me a choice to do anything about it really REALLY destroyed alot of enjoyment for me. one choice that i remember makes a difference is one between two followers. Tali and Legion, whichever one you choose wins, and the other one (along with their entire species) dies and there is no way to mediate it is very straight- forward "pick me or all the Geth die/ pick me or all the Quarians die" personally i went with tali and i guess that was the "good" choice but i felt like an **** because all the Geth had just said something along the lines of "Hey bro we're gonna help you out because your'e nice n'stuff" so i respond with "kill all Geth. as for the ending of the game, it took a grand total of ONE choice from the game (excluding the ending choice itself) and slapped it in there not any choices from any other game in the series but the one choice that made a difference the one Tali Vs. Legion, and guess how they acknowledged it, when the HD cut scene ends it shows the Normandy crash after being hit with a blue or red explosion (depends on the ending you chose), joker get out, and then your choice gets out... that's it. as for the ending choice itself you have the choice "between wiping out all synthetic life (and dying)" or "controlling the reapers(and dying)" and the only difference between them is: (control) the reapers get hit by a bluish explosion thing and then fly away / (destroy) the reapers get hit by a reddish explosion and fall over. overall it made for a very anti-climactic end to the series (or at least the Shepherd part of the series) Expand
  42. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved the Mass Effect series. The second one got away from the RPG elements a little bit and played more like Gears of Mass Effect, and now they have just stripped the soul out of the series. The dialogue choices here have been vastly lowered, the skills have been dumbed down and streamlined so much that I would be hard pressed to even call it an RPG anymore. The writing is godawful,I loved the Mass Effect series. The second one got away from the RPG elements a little bit and played more like Gears of Mass Effect, and now they have just stripped the soul out of the series. The dialogue choices here have been vastly lowered, the skills have been dumbed down and streamlined so much that I would be hard pressed to even call it an RPG anymore. The writing is godawful, which used to be BioWare's strong suit. BioWare has been telling us for years now that the choices we made in the first 2 games would have direct implications in the finale. Aside from a few minor instances, this is just not the case. The game is brutally short, with little to no replay value. I haven't tried the multiplayer and probably won't, simply because I don't need to play another online shooter. R.I.P. BioWare, after the debacle that was Dragon Age 2, I was willing to give you another shot with this series, but you've blown it and I will not be contributing another penny to any game you develop in the future. Expand
  43. Mar 7, 2012
    ME3 is an abomination in comparison to its predecessors, it is sloppily made and poorly written and even has scenery proven by users to have been pulled off of google search ( one of the main characters Tali Zorah proven to have been a poorly photoshopped version of a stock photo). This game should have been aborted, the dialogue options are pants on head retarded and the combat isME3 is an abomination in comparison to its predecessors, it is sloppily made and poorly written and even has scenery proven by users to have been pulled off of google search ( one of the main characters Tali Zorah proven to have been a poorly photoshopped version of a stock photo). This game should have been aborted, the dialogue options are pants on head retarded and the combat is hindered by poor controls and bugs. Couple all this with $860 dollars worth of DLC (as well as a DLC ending that is the only one that doesnt absolutely suck) and we have a game that is better off left pirated or not bought at all. The endings are so bad that if you are a true fan of the mass effect series you would stop at 2 since the ending of ME3 is full of plot holes and forced endings that are supposed to be "so sad and edgy". The story of ME3 can be seen identically in games over a decade old such as Dues ex and Star Control. This is horrible for a triple A game released in 2012. Expand
  44. Mar 7, 2012
    So I go to the gamestop to pick up ME3 and I get my gaming area all ready with cool ranch doritos and fanta. I pop what I thought was gonna be game of the year into my 360 and the game literally has an easy button built in, just like what hamburger helper wanted. Then, to get a good single player ending you have to play the hamfisted in multiplayer. This is purely to penalize the gamersSo I go to the gamestop to pick up ME3 and I get my gaming area all ready with cool ranch doritos and fanta. I pop what I thought was gonna be game of the year into my 360 and the game literally has an easy button built in, just like what hamburger helper wanted. Then, to get a good single player ending you have to play the hamfisted in multiplayer. This is purely to penalize the gamers who buy the game used because you have to spend $10 on an online pass. Then, Tali's face was a badly shopped stock image. The removed fingers even still had the bones they didn't bother to remove. The games ending was stolen from a wallpaper. Bioware has NO RESPECT for the gaming community between DA2, SWTOR and ME3. Expand
  45. Mar 8, 2012
    ...to kill a whole trilogy with one stupid final ending must be a new record of gaming history. Ever choice you did has TOTALY no effect or even a little tiny side effect of the ending.....gj Bioware...you proof yourself worthy to EA
  46. Mar 9, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, this game is playable and I'm sure if you had no standards or simply didn't care you could pick up this game and have a midly enjoyable experience. BUT the atrocities EA and Bioware committed mean I cannot give this game a decent rating with a good conscience. So what is so bad about this game? Let me tell you:
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if you will) that decided to take this course I don't know, but releasing DLC on the day of release, particularly DLC which is important to the plot, at 1/6 the price of the game itself is unforgivable in of itself. It seems they are laughing in our face as we shell out money for something that should have been on the disc, available to everyone. It is obvious that it was done simply to milk as much money out of the fans as possible.
    2. Casualisation: The game was geared towards Call of Duty players in order to cash in on the series' success, while abandoning the loyal fanbase. Not much else to say here.
    3. Shoddy Writing: Many uninformed people think that the attacks on the Bioware employee Jennifer Hepler was simply a display of hate for the sake of hate. While they certainly did go overboard, it wasn't without good reason. She was the physical manifestation of the quality of writing coming from Bioware. Examples: Dialogue is awkward, the ending is notoriously bad, after seeing so many people die and killing so many himself, Sephard is emotianally effected by the death of a random kid above all. Overall you would expect something better from a Naruto fanfiction. 4. Laziness of Bioware: For a big budget, triple A game you would expect a certain level of effort from the developers. Bioware, however seemed to have taken shortcuts left, right and centre. There are images circulating the internet which demonstrate this quite well. For example, Copying a stock image for the portrait of a character who dies in the game, and copying another 7? year old image lying around in the internet for the ending.
    5. Ininspired Multiplayer: Another cash-in, Wave survival modes have been done to death, nowadays every game seems to have one. It seems this was added in to artificially extend the life of the game and make an excuse for future half-assed DLC releases.
    6. Gay Sex: people reading this may call 'Hurr durr homophobe" - but wait to read my reasoning. Homosexuality IS a sin. Being implemented in such as fashion acts to 'casualise' it, pressing on the impressionable 13 year old minds (whose uninformed mothers will be buying this game) that it is fine and acceptable. I do not hate **** I care about them, just as I do any other person. For this reason I oppose it.
    Even if this is an attempt to cash-in with the gay audience rather than a political agenda, it gets in the way of the average straight player and does not belong. I do not want to have gay passes made to me by my squadmates when I'm playing a game.
    7. Reviewers are sellouts: This goes for every major game release nowadays, but is absolutely appalling. While I'm not implying that EA is necessarily directly paying reviewers to give the game good reviews (not that I'd put it past them) there is certainly a feel that if you don't give it a good review the publisher early access to future releases. I have heard of cases where people have lost their job because they wrote how the felt rather than what they were told to write. This is why I'm writing this review in fact - to help get a bit of truth out.
    Instead of a proper, objective review we are fed tripe with 10/10 would play again bs.

Due to all these aformentioned problems with Mass Effect 3, I cannot take it seriously, thus it receives a score of 0/10. The only reason it has earned a 1 from me is because the Biodrone tears are absolutely delicious.
    Have a good day sirs.
  47. Mar 8, 2012
    This game is such a massive disappointment. It was not worth the wait. Animations are still clunky. Humans still look horrible. Lazy usage of stock images. Forced drama at every turn. Why bother? Don't buy this game.
  48. Mar 12, 2012
    This is the most depressed I have ever felt after playing a video game. I must say I am seriously disappointed with the ending; it's as bad as Deus Ex: Human revolution.

I was still playing through the game when news of the metacritic review bomb came out. At the time I thought that people were being unreasonable. But now I understand the anger and disappointment being expressed. The

The ending soured the entire experience, to the point where it's the only thing I can think about when asked to give my opinion of the game.

This will be the first bioware game I don't immediately replay in order to see what happens with different choices. It's an enjoyable game, but not one I will play to the end again.
  49. Mar 7, 2012
    as a competitive call of duty player this is my favorite scifi game on the pc

i like how there are aliens and you can have magical abilities, i also enjoyed having sex with every crew member and i liked the vega character the most because i can identify with him. he is very tough and looks very good. i want to be like him one day. hoo-rah. i also liked the story very much, its about
    as a competitive call of duty player this is my favorite scifi game on the pc

i also liked the story very much, its about reavers that are like space zombies and an illusion man that is your father or something. and there is a really cool assassin called mai king, she tries to kill you because she works for the reavers.

its a very deep game, i hope they make a sequel one day because i want to know what happened to vega. or a prequel that is more about vega. they also make an animated movie that is about vega, which is awesome, ill totally watch it with my dad.

50. Mar 7, 2012
    Then ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that weThen ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that we got a clone of WoW in space (KoTOR) that is failure 2. And now ME3â Expand
  51. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had to wait a few hours after finishing the game before writing a review because I wanted to take some time to look back on ME1/ME2 and be as fair and objective as possible when collecting my thoughts on ME3. This game is amazing in several ways: (1) dialogue between familiar (and to some extent unfamiliar) characters feels more real and natural, (2) combat is a lot more interesting and, in some scenes, more challenging than both ME1 and ME2, (3) the cinematic scenes depicting various key events in the story are visually engaging and easy to connect with emotionally, (4) the romance interactions between Shepard and his/her LI is a vast improvement from both ME1 and ME2, and (5) the overall visual element of the game (the Citadel, the new worlds that you visit--Rannoch and Thessia for example, and the characters themselves) made it really easy to immerse yourself in the game. Having been a huge fan of ME1 and ME2, I was happy to see that Bioware came through in these areas. I had moments where I laughed, moments where I felt giddy, and plenty of moments where I cried (e.g., Thane's death). That being said, I was incredibly surprised at how much the ending affected me. Up until the very last moments in the game (I would say up until the part where the destroyer reaper vaporizes people around you while you painfully drag yourself toward the beam), I would have given the game a 10/10 hands down. I would have bowed down to Bioware for telling the greatest story ever told. And then there was the ending: (1) The number of plot holes left is an insult to the bajillion hours that I invested in the first two games, (2) the Deus Ex-style ending completely chaffed my soul, and (3) I received next to NO closure on all of the relationships that I've been building up until the point. What happened to the people on the citadel (e.g., Bailey, the council, etc.) What happens to my team? What happens to the two squadmates that I took with me in the final battle scene? What happens to the races that I just spent hours trying to unite in hopes of a more relevant and fitting ending? I loved the Deus Ex ending in Deus Ex because it fit with what the story was about up until the end; Mass Effect was more than just a morally ambiguous thought exercise on organic vs. synthetic existence--it's SO much more than that--so why condense it all to that? I don't need Shepard to live in the end (and I certainly don't need a happily-ever-after ending where nobody dies and everyone is all smiles at the end of the reaper invasion), but I sure as hell was under the impression that I'd have the choice. I put so much thought into paragon vs. renegade, which is arguably the main driving force in the plot up until the very last scene, and it seems like no matter what you do you are boxed into an ending that's uncomfortable, unclear, and unnervingly disappointing. I was amazed at how emotionally connected I felt to the Mass Effect series, and spent what felt like an eternity looking forward to the final part of the trilogy. In terms of ME3, I felt completely satisfied with the exception of the ending, which seemed totally out of place and unnecessarily broke my enthusiasm and passion for the game. Do I hate the entire series now because of the way it ends? No. Will I deny that all 3 games are amazing in multiple ways and have allowed me to be a part of an epic story? No. Can I jump on the 10/10 bandwagon for ME3? Absolutely not, because the ending of such a huge story is critical, and in my opinion it was an epic fail in this game. If I could go back in time, I would probably have not played the game past Shepard's last speech to his/her team--at least at that point you were excited/terrified/scared, but you also had the hope that other characters instilled in you, and the hope that you spent so much time instilling into other characters. So in the end, I can't give this game a positive review, although it kills me to know that it would have been such an easy thing to do if the ending had (a) more variation and more of an actual decision-making component to it (such that all endings aren't essentially the same--I know there is room for argument here, but I maintain that it can all boil down the same basic ending), (b) incorporated more of the choices that you have been making for the past three games, (c) more relevance to the personal side of Shepard (e.g., how Shepard has evolved over time and who Shepard has become), and (d) more closure on all of the characters, relationships, and decisions that you just spent three games experiencing. You almost did it, Bioware. So close and yet so far. Expand
  52. Mar 12, 2012
    The game was absolutely perfect, until the ending. With that ending, they essentially negated every decision you've ever made on any of the three games. Your choices became ultimately pointless. The ending not only didn't make any logical sense, it also contradicted that Bioware promised they'd deliver on the game. There is NOT 16 endings. There are 3 endings. Even that is a generousThe game was absolutely perfect, until the ending. With that ending, they essentially negated every decision you've ever made on any of the three games. Your choices became ultimately pointless. The ending not only didn't make any logical sense, it also contradicted that Bioware promised they'd deliver on the game. There is NOT 16 endings. There are 3 endings. Even that is a generous approximation, more like there is one ending with three different versions. If Mass Effect 3 was a standalone game, then this wouldn't be an issue. Sadly, it isn't. This is a colossal disappointment of an ending to a trilogy that garnered critical acclaim from fans and critics alike. The current ending ruins the entire trilogy. No, I'm not being melodramatic. Mass Effect is about choices, and Casey Hudson has even personally claimed that Shepard (aka, the player) decides the story, thus, there is no canon. However, this is entirely contradicted by the end of Mass Effect 3, there is no choice, no closure and no real 'ending' in the full sense of the term. More questions are raised than answers, there's innumerable plotholes and definite pilfering from other games. The game itself is absolutely incredible, let there be no doubt. UNTIL the ending which essentially brushes the entire series that predicates it aside. Disappointing from Bioware. I, for one, expected better. Expand
  53. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the worst of the trilogy. They have simplified them as they progressed, and the writing's quality has degraded at an even faster pace. They just stopped putting in the effort and it shows. Expand
  54. Mar 8, 2012
    Welcome to the future of Bioware.. It really seems that all those guys which know what they were doing left Bioware and were replaced by characters inspired by the movie "Ideocracy". There is that otaku women responsible for the romances which probably is a virgin and who seems to have a yaoi (gay male romances) fetish. Than there is that crazy dude I saw in a DA2 video and who came upWelcome to the future of Bioware.. It really seems that all those guys which know what they were doing left Bioware and were replaced by characters inspired by the movie "Ideocracy". There is that otaku women responsible for the romances which probably is a virgin and who seems to have a yaoi (gay male romances) fetish. Than there is that crazy dude I saw in a DA2 video and who came up with the "awesome button". And there is probably one EA suit dude who is never without his statistics why call of duty is so successful and who spams his opinion in every meeting that more explosions are needed. And with those 3 responsible for game design, ME3 is what we got. Lots and lots of gay romances, just as much explosions, and the evolution of the "awesome button", the "awesome does all button"! And it really is awesome when you try to run away and instead take cover with your back exposed to the enemy! Yet just like with DA2, the most "awesome" button is the one which removes this **** from your hdd! Expand
  55. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my first and last review of a game on this site, but I felt that this needed to be said.
    I have been a Mass Effect fan since the beginning. The story roped me in and I was hooked since the first game. It was innovative and creative, and it showed a growing maturity to gaming. ME2 came out and added in TPS elements, and I am not the type of person that really cares about adding in TPS elements into a game. I have been a TPS person for a long time. ME2 was incredible and extended the story with great depth and big impact for your choices during it. This game has ruined Bioware for me. The dialogue was ok and the fighting was great but, I agree with so many others that say that all of your choices don't matter. When I saw the ending, that is a rip-off of Deus Ex, the controller dropped out of my hand. I couldn't believe that this game, that was supposed to care about every one of my decisions, came down to what flavor of Listerine I wanted to shovel out into the galaxy. The ending was ridiculously simplistic. It has no depth other than being gothy cool. Trust us, Bioware, we have grown up and know that gothy cool is a bunch of crap. You need to grow up and get away from your teenage angst. This series hinged on the ending, and that ending should have had at least an epilogue for each of the living characters. I would have settled for text if you are too cheap for cut scenes. Instead we got Joker taking what is left of the crew to Eden or whatever. Shepard dies in all but 2 endings, and his LI is not even mentioned. Maybe I'm getting old, but for a game that makes you care about characters, it doesn't. It makes you make one of three horrific decisions, and hurt almost everyone in the process. That is not being grown up, that is being sadistic. We invested time, it requires tons of effort and a 40 hour work week to get this thing done properly. We have all given hundreds of hours preparing our Shepards for ME3. This is all we get, this isn't innovative, this is lazy and immature. This is like a college kid doing a ton of research, and then putting together his final paper the day it is due and doing a sloppy job. The professor isn't going to give you an "A" for what you did earlier in your research, they are going to give you an "F" for screwing up your paper. It is so sad that a series with so much potential is squandered at the last moment. By the way, we got the politics that you are constantly shoving down our throats during the entire game. It was not subtle, it was unnecessary. I'm giving this a zero because of plagiarism of Deus Ex ending, on top of the cruel way you treated your customers. If you are a fan of ME and played the other two, don't bother with this one, it isn't worth the money.
  56. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ugh, where to begin.
    day 1 dlc with its 2012 and it looks like a launch title for the 360
    characters are extremely one dimensional, and never show any sign of development
    all choice in the game was between red or blue text in a convo
    well at least the series is over, and they can't hype it up more. although I'm sure they will find a way to milk this IP for years to come.
  57. Mar 8, 2012
    I use to be a fan of the series. Then i took a arrow in the knee... In all seriousness this series was my favorite for awhile (next to the elderscrolls) And I like most people believed the hyped. I got the day 1 release but then something dawned on me while i was playing it. This is no longer an RPG space opera... This is a 3rd person cover based shooter much like gears of war (although aI use to be a fan of the series. Then i took a arrow in the knee... In all seriousness this series was my favorite for awhile (next to the elderscrolls) And I like most people believed the hyped. I got the day 1 release but then something dawned on me while i was playing it. This is no longer an RPG space opera... This is a 3rd person cover based shooter much like gears of war (although a lot crappier). Now don't get me wrong i love gears but this isn't gears this was mass effect... Allow me to quote the back of the game cover. "If you're not a fan now's the time to start." Mass appeal ruined this trilogy. If your into shallow choices that mean nothing and really like playing a crappy cover based shooter then this is your game. *SPOILER* The ending (all of them) SUCK Expand
  58. Mar 13, 2012
    There is no way to accurately describe how disappointing this game is. 99% of this game is wonderful. The last 10-15 minutes of this game destroys everything that you have come to love about the Mass Effect universe. The day before the game was released I was so exited, like a child the night before their birthday. Now I feel terrible. None of the choices I have made over the course of theThere is no way to accurately describe how disappointing this game is. 99% of this game is wonderful. The last 10-15 minutes of this game destroys everything that you have come to love about the Mass Effect universe. The day before the game was released I was so exited, like a child the night before their birthday. Now I feel terrible. None of the choices I have made over the course of the three games have had any impact on the ending. In fact the ending so thoroughly nukes what you were fighting for it destroys all replay value the game may have had for me. I have no interest in walking my other Shepards through this game to meet the same end. As someone who has grown to love this series over the years and invested over 100 hours of playtime, I wish I could un-play this game. Expand
  59. Mar 14, 2012
    WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

As a prelude, let me just say that I'm a writer, and I make my living writing. I've been a writer since long before Mass Effect came out, and that's a huge part of what drew me to these games. What I loved about the ME series was how masterfully the story was woven in such a way that the authors (Bioware) crafted a tale that actually permitted input from the readers (gamers) to determine how the story progressed. No matter what path you chose, the story was interesting and engaging, but your decisions always had clear consequences in the end, as the decisions of any protagonist should.

Coming into ME3, I was a little nervous. After all, with the bar being set so high with the other two, could Bioware really deliver a fitting conclusion? I mentally prepared myself for the worst. But then, as I played through the game, my fears were gradually alleviated. Frankly, the experience was Epic with a capital E. I saw how the decisions my character had made in the previous games impacted the galaxy around him. The characters came to life and drew pure emotional responses from me as the plot continued to weave itself together. But the arc of the story was clear: Shepard was not going to survive. I was okay with that, and I was ready for that. And playing through the final mission on Earth, having final conversations with all of Shep's squadmates, the writer in me was satisfied. All the loose ends seemed to be tied up. The ending was in sight, it was just a matter of seeing what exactly would happen.

I'll spare you the details, but in the last 5 minutes of what had essentially been a hundred hours (or more) of story, that story was destroyed. The sad thing is that the story all made sense, it all fit, except for that last 5 minutes. From the perspective of a player, I failed to accomplish my mission. To quote Ecclesiastes, it was all vanity and grasping after the wind. From a writer's perspective, it's like I crafted a beautifully written and engaging trilogy of novels, but made someone else who didn't know the story or care about the characters write the last paragraph of the last book.

As I played through the game, I kept thinking: "This is how video games should be." Now, seeing the end, all I can ponder is what could have been. It was so close to being perfect! But it all unraveled in 5 minutes, FIVE minutes! I didn't want a "happy" ending where Shep lives and has kids and blah-blah-blah (although the option would have been nice, admittedly), I just wanted an ending that kept in step with the series and made sense to a reasonable person. But none of the "endings" meet those criteria. It's just that simple, and just that disappointing.

The endings as they are, if accepted in a straightforward manner, are so nonsensical that anything, even a hallucination or even the Reapers winning, would be more fitting. At the very least I hope Bioware will own up to how mercileslly they butchered the end of such a great story. The optimist in me dares to hope that they actually do something about it; it would not be the first time a game was significantly changed with a patch, or that a game's ending was changed with a DLC pack. No one is going to forget the feeling of being betrayed by the end of ME3, but it would go a long way towards healing those wounds if Bioware would try to make things right somehow.

As a writer, I understand the argument that the creator of a story has the right to determine the ending as they see fit. And I think it's valid. But even in the realm of printed fiction, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "changed his story" and brought back Sherlock Holmes after the public outcry at the character's death. Even in the realm of literature, there's room for an author here and there to admit they were wrong and change their tune. I earnestly hope Bioware decides to do the same.
  60. Apr 9, 2012
    What a joke. Mass Effect 2 was easily my favorite game this gen and I couldn't have been more letdown playing through this game the first time. I'm working through my second play through and I just can't make it. I'm selling it back and never buying a Mass Effect game again. Easily the worst and most disappointing ending of a game I've ever seen and I refuse to pay EA for a better ending.What a joke. Mass Effect 2 was easily my favorite game this gen and I couldn't have been more letdown playing through this game the first time. I'm working through my second play through and I just can't make it. I'm selling it back and never buying a Mass Effect game again. Easily the worst and most disappointing ending of a game I've ever seen and I refuse to pay EA for a better ending. They ruined it for themselves and I'm not letting them get any more of my money. Expand
  61. Mar 13, 2012
    I thought ME1 it was a brilliant start to a great new franchise with loads of potential. ME2 was watered down to the point where I barely wanted to play it. I hoped it was just the sophomore slump so I slogged my way through it. But ME3 I just cannot play. It runs rough around the edges and is really just an even more watered down version of the game I was hoping for overall. ThinkI thought ME1 it was a brilliant start to a great new franchise with loads of potential. ME2 was watered down to the point where I barely wanted to play it. I hoped it was just the sophomore slump so I slogged my way through it. But ME3 I just cannot play. It runs rough around the edges and is really just an even more watered down version of the game I was hoping for overall. Think back to ME1 everybody...now think about your experience with ME3. Ya, it's not good for ME3. IDK what else to say that hasn't been said, and I can't think of anyone I'd recommend this game to. Expand
  62. Mar 13, 2012
    I first thought that people were trolling the user scores on Metacritic. Unfortunately this third installment of the game blows big time. If this was a standalone product I would give it a 7 (it's not utterly rubbish when compared to games like Rogue Warrior or Brink). However as a game that is supposed to be a Mass Effect game I am giving it a big ZERO!
    This game does not live up to what
    This game does not live up to what it says on the tin.
  63. Mar 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was a wild ride but the ending was like punch my (Krogan) quads. I feel utterly betrayed there was no player choice taken into account with the ending. All 16 endings were just a variation on a theme anyhow. The ending boils down to a red/blue/green selection. Don't believe me, check Youtube.
  64. Apr 9, 2012
    There's never been a better game with a worse ending. A crack team of N7 ewoks, defeating the Reapers by tripping them with vines, would have made for a better ending to ME3.
  65. Jun 28, 2012
    I'm changing my previous review in light of the new Extended Cut. I'm changing it to ZERO!

Despite the Extended Cut this game still has the worst ending in the history of video games. They actually took the time to polish the turd instead of addressing the numerous and serious flaws in the game. Bioware has completely lost all credibility in the last few years. Not only because their new games are rushed and come nowhere near the level of excellence they used to, but because they treat their fanbase like **** and lie to them.
  66. Mar 14, 2012
    This game starts out well but finishes terribly. I didn't think it was possible for a story to have such powerful momentum and crash miserably into a wall. Aside from that, the game has some serious bug issues. I played ME2 on day 1 and never encountered anything quite as awful as the bugs in this game. On top of that, the side missions are a joke and I think are there just to distract youThis game starts out well but finishes terribly. I didn't think it was possible for a story to have such powerful momentum and crash miserably into a wall. Aside from that, the game has some serious bug issues. I played ME2 on day 1 and never encountered anything quite as awful as the bugs in this game. On top of that, the side missions are a joke and I think are there just to distract you for a few minutes at a time, essentially forcing you to stick to the main story. This wouldn't have been so terrible, if the main story didn't end so terribly and lose all credibility. Expand
  67. Mar 18, 2012
    Utterly boring. The most boring game in a long time. Bioware has gone deeply downhill since EA's interference. Keep rushing games. Not much made any sense, surely not the ending.
  68. Mar 13, 2012
    Everyone's complaining about the ending, but I don't give a **** about that. The game itself is pretty bad overall. There's almost no RPG in it and the action part is pretty clumsy and tiring. Better not waste time playing this and play Binary Domain instead if you want a good story in a GoW-like 3rd person shooter.
  69. Mar 13, 2012
    Being the best gaming series I have played it is a sad day when you reach the finishing line and it is as horrible as it is. I love the Mass Effect games, heart and soul and I've played them through countless times. This rating is purely to voice my utter dissatisfaction with how the game ends. I'm not one of those that want a good happy ending and it is not because of some gay sexsceneBeing the best gaming series I have played it is a sad day when you reach the finishing line and it is as horrible as it is. I love the Mass Effect games, heart and soul and I've played them through countless times. This rating is purely to voice my utter dissatisfaction with how the game ends. I'm not one of those that want a good happy ending and it is not because of some gay sexscene (seriously, do journalists actually believe the crap they are putting out??). It is simply because the current ending (NOT endingS, mind you) makes absolutely no sense. Why is there no difference between the endings? WHY doesn't my choices make any difference what so ever. In a stroke of sheer genious BW implements transfer of savegames which all amounts to a **** nothing come the absurd end. I never write reviews but I love this game to damn much to not make my voice heard. This game doesn't deserve this, it should have top ratings. Expand
  70. Mar 13, 2012
    This game series was one of the good ones, where personal decisions and actions influenced a vibrant and expansive galaxy. Unfortunately, the random freezes, overly streamlined storyline, and Dues Ex ending which disregarded everything that made this game series great sours the overall experience. Until some of the glaring issues are addressed I'd give this one a pass.
  71. Mar 13, 2012
    Can't believe how Bioware can get as lazy as that; they HAD 2 GREAT SERIES (Mass Effect and Dragon Age) full of potential and suddenly they become lazy, self entitled, money hungry and do stuff half way and then sell it as DLC. I mean using photos on GOOGLE? How stupid can you be? The same happen with dragon age 2, they did it lazily wanting to get as much money as possible and destroyingCan't believe how Bioware can get as lazy as that; they HAD 2 GREAT SERIES (Mass Effect and Dragon Age) full of potential and suddenly they become lazy, self entitled, money hungry and do stuff half way and then sell it as DLC. I mean using photos on GOOGLE? How stupid can you be? The same happen with dragon age 2, they did it lazily wanting to get as much money as possible and destroying their series. I just hope people stop buying from them so as to see if they change a bit.

ALSO NONE OF ALL YOUR CHOICES MATTERED! So mad, i hope bioware gets destroyed
  72. Mar 14, 2012
    this game is the flop of 2012. Mass affect 1 is rather then 3. Mass affect 1 is het best.
    no more a game from bioware of EA this game is Poor writing.
  73. Mar 14, 2012
    I must agree with many others, the ending ruins the game. I was skeptical that the ending could indeed be as bad as everyone has claimed-I was wrong. Gone is the choice that exemplified this series. Gone is the hours of fun (not work) that preceded this game. Gone is the sense of accomplishment, however minor, that marked the completion of the previous Mass Effect games. Truly, whatI must agree with many others, the ending ruins the game. I was skeptical that the ending could indeed be as bad as everyone has claimed-I was wrong. Gone is the choice that exemplified this series. Gone is the hours of fun (not work) that preceded this game. Gone is the sense of accomplishment, however minor, that marked the completion of the previous Mass Effect games. Truly, what disgusts me about this game is I feel betrayed by the developers. The sense of control over your character's actions, and the consequences of your decisions are for naught. In the end, nothing you have done matters. If you are new to the series, flip a coin for every choice; they are meaningless. Once I was an ardent Bioware supporter, no longer. My ties with bioware are cut, beginning with credit from Gamestop for this game, followed by a cancelling of SWTOR and a refusal to play any other Bioware games. Expand
  74. Mos
    Mar 17, 2012
    Having played both previous ME games multiple times, this latest series feels like a complete slap in the face. I was already put out by the lack of deep character interaction, tiny team roster and military style emotionless mission grinds, but I never expected the ending to utterly destroy the ME franchise. ME3 made me a very sad panda.
  75. Mar 18, 2012
    I know the game had to end at some point, but this could have been implemented in a much better way. The writers made every decision made in the previous games, and even in this game, mean absolutely nothing. There are "multiple" ending, but all of them have the same basic outcome.
  76. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Huge Mass effect fan. Took five days off of work to play Mass Effect 3. Great game until the last ten minutes of the game. Where the story does. Complete 180 and your choices don't matter. Ruins the whole build up of the series. Expand
  77. Mar 19, 2012
    While I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 and would recommend it for people to try out, the ending was a crushing blow to the face: none of my decisions mattered, nothing was explained, all the endings were virtually identical, Bioware used a "in your face, deus ex machina" to wrap it all up. The ending did not stay true to the game, the trilogy or the fans. Worst of all, the ending ruins anyWhile I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 and would recommend it for people to try out, the ending was a crushing blow to the face: none of my decisions mattered, nothing was explained, all the endings were virtually identical, Bioware used a "in your face, deus ex machina" to wrap it all up. The ending did not stay true to the game, the trilogy or the fans. Worst of all, the ending ruins any replayability for most fans. Of course there were several positive things to the game, but since many are considered spoilers I will not be posting them. It's painful for me to do this, but since the ending is truly all that stays with you (and not in a good way) I must give this game a negative rating. Expand
  78. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a revamped version of ME2 combat and nothing more. Virtually none of the choices made in ME1 or ME2 are taken into account, and a fresh ME3 characters game experience is nearly identical. Plots holes and generally a lack of vision with the 3 possible endings make any invested effort a waste of time. If I had to sum the game up I would say "lazy" is about right, with a dashMass Effect 3 is a revamped version of ME2 combat and nothing more. Virtually none of the choices made in ME1 or ME2 are taken into account, and a fresh ME3 characters game experience is nearly identical. Plots holes and generally a lack of vision with the 3 possible endings make any invested effort a waste of time. If I had to sum the game up I would say "lazy" is about right, with a dash of "the ILLUSION of choice", since you don't actually impact the plot with your choices. The sheer number of public domain images you can google (or find on getty images) that are used in the game are shocking (is it really so hard to draw your own picture of an alien for Tali, or use some of the great user images out there? Rather than use a getty images, barely photoshop'ed picture of a human?).

The gameplay was fun. The multiplayer was the most enjoyable aspect for me. Story wise, this is not a "Bioware" game as we remember the golden era of quality Bioware games. It's just not the same company anymore. Mass Effect 2.5 is worth a rent, at best.
  79. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass effect is my favorite next gen console series.
    but mass effect 3 is a middle finger to the fans who have loved the series since day one.
    unless something is seriously done to fix this game i will never buy from bioware again.
    they were my favorite company and now they are my most hated.
  80. Mar 20, 2012
    Worst ending to a series ever. Thanks for making none of my choices made in any of the 3 games ultimately matter. What the hell was the point either saving/destroying the collector base anyway? Oh, that's right....there was none. You know what else? What happened to the expansive dialog wheel, or even FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? Why does everyone on the game look like they are made of wax? EpicWorst ending to a series ever. Thanks for making none of my choices made in any of the 3 games ultimately matter. What the hell was the point either saving/destroying the collector base anyway? Oh, that's right....there was none. You know what else? What happened to the expansive dialog wheel, or even FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? Why does everyone on the game look like they are made of wax? Epic fail. Bioware has now permanently lost a customer with this mess-up. I don't say this just because of how Mass Effect 3 turned out, I say this because they have been consistently releasing ****ty games in the past few years. I guess this is what happens when you sign on to the EA team. R.I.P Bioware. Expand
  81. Mar 21, 2012
    pathetic ending to a great franchise. i loved all the games and played all of them. spent countless hours keeping my self updated on this franchise. but in the end they give us the worst ending in gaming history
  82. Mar 25, 2012
    Been a fan since the first article I read about mass effect 7 years ago. What a disappointment. ME3 has been dumbed down from the great rpg it was. I will agree that the combat is tight and smooth, but thats not the main reason why I chose to play it, even after I started to hear the ugly rumors. Had to find out for myself. "Official" reviews sing praise after praise, even while the fanBeen a fan since the first article I read about mass effect 7 years ago. What a disappointment. ME3 has been dumbed down from the great rpg it was. I will agree that the combat is tight and smooth, but thats not the main reason why I chose to play it, even after I started to hear the ugly rumors. Had to find out for myself. "Official" reviews sing praise after praise, even while the fan base has spoken very loudly of their displeasure. I couldn't agree more, after playing through myself. I don't even want to go into what I thought about the ending. I honestly feel ripped off. Now I see bioware tap-dancing and trying to put a positive spin on a turd, while condemning people's criticisms. Chalk one up for EA. You got my 50 bucks and could care less. Expand
  83. Apr 1, 2012
    This game was a major disappointment. The game itself was actually pretty good, up until the last twenty minutes or so. But the ending was so horrible that it honestly ruins the entire series. Most would say it was the journey, not the ending that makes this game amazing. But using that logic would mean that the Titanic survivors shouldn't have anything to complain about. It was theThis game was a major disappointment. The game itself was actually pretty good, up until the last twenty minutes or so. But the ending was so horrible that it honestly ruins the entire series. Most would say it was the journey, not the ending that makes this game amazing. But using that logic would mean that the Titanic survivors shouldn't have anything to complain about. It was the journey they should remember, not the ending where the unsinkable ship sank in the cold dark depths of the ocean. This game is a rental at best, if you are a fan of the series don't even bother playing it. Expand
  84. Apr 10, 2012
    The game at all is reasonable but the Ending DESTROYS everything.
    All choices along ME1 and ME2 really doesn't matter... the ME2 choices about collector base etc .. they are ignored. BioWare said that would be 16 different endings, but what we got was 3 different colors. RED BLUE or GREEN.
    The game at all is reasonable but the Ending DESTROYS everything.

There is no narrative coherence, the ending is filled with plot holes, ME1 and ME2 story was destroyed in a matter of minutes, they doesn't review their own games before launching? This doesn't make sense really.

Why am I giving a 0?

The answer is: The ending not only destroyed ME3 but the story of ME1 and ME2 too. ME3 became a action-shooter, there is only auto-dialogue, a few choices that i can count with my fingers. The game forces you to do some things, there is no roleplay anymore. I won't talk about the plotholes because in youtube you can find a lot of videos highlighting everyone one of them. They have done the same thing with DA2, they are trying to reach another kind of gamers, but to do that they are sacrificing their own fanbase. ME3 feels exactly like DA2: RUSHED. They didn't had the time to review their own creation what a crap!

Hire another writer. Only your writers can screw a incredible story like ME in a matter of seconds.

If I wanted to play make a Gears of War i would bought GoW. BioWare and EA are destroying every game they have. I feel sorry for them and for us cause we are losing a great developer. EA SUCKS.
  85. Apr 29, 2012
    I am tired of being nickel and dimed by greedy companies. They should have just added ten bucks to the price of the game. Although I enjoyed the ending I would have liked it ten dollars cheaper.
  86. Jun 20, 2012
    wow EA just wow ever since you bought bioware they havent made anything great the mass effect games were ok but the ending..... is "special" nothing changes in the ending except Colors WOW! Also jennifer hepler I would like to blame YOU for this travesty.
  87. Jul 8, 2012
    Poor gameplay, decision taking, writing and innovation. The saving of the game are probably the graphics, which when weighted against the bad things of the game, don't seem to get the score up. No entitlement in the decisions you take. Bad and uninspired characters that decline the quality of the storytelling. A really bad game, overall.
  88. Mar 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 Ending-Hatred: 5 Reasons The Fans Are Right - http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

Somehow Bioware managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of gaming victory with an ending that is poorly written and makes no sense. The article link is one of the best summaries I've read. But hey, as long as EA made loads of money, who cares if the race to ship the product short-changed gamers?
  89. Mar 19, 2012
    How do you train-wreck a great game and series, 100+ hours of solid story, character development, and gameplay in the span of half an hour? There were so many positives about Mass Effect 3 that are completely overshadowed by the ending. It leaves me wondering why I bothered to go back and play 1&2 again making sure I had all the choices I wanted right when at the end, it didn't reallyHow do you train-wreck a great game and series, 100+ hours of solid story, character development, and gameplay in the span of half an hour? There were so many positives about Mass Effect 3 that are completely overshadowed by the ending. It leaves me wondering why I bothered to go back and play 1&2 again making sure I had all the choices I wanted right when at the end, it didn't really matter. Maybe there is some point being made about the inescapability of destiny, but it feels tacked on. Maybe Bioware had a sudden religious awakening and decided they needed to hammer the idea home with all the subtly of a Krogan battle-master. Whatever the case, the last half hour of Mass Effect 3 comes out of nowhere, ignores all previous choices, and fails to resolve the character's stories. Plus it just doesn't make any godamn sense. A real shame to see a series I was so fond of for five years suddenly fall apart so utterly. Even if Bioware does release a DLC "fix" I'm not sure how much I'd want it. This was a stain on their reputation and while a fix might ease the pain a bit, so does Astroglide. Expand
  90. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was the first game I played where the ending ruined the experience of the entire series for me. I've had it happen with television series to a lesser extent such as Lost and Battlestar Gallactica, but the ending to this game goes counter to the entire message of the Mass Effect games before. It's soured me on the entire IP. When developers such as Bungie and Epic can endMass Effect 3 was the first game I played where the ending ruined the experience of the entire series for me. I've had it happen with television series to a lesser extent such as Lost and Battlestar Gallactica, but the ending to this game goes counter to the entire message of the Mass Effect games before. It's soured me on the entire IP. When developers such as Bungie and Epic can end their respective sci-fi trilogies of Halo and Gears of War with actual closure and can better convey the theme of great sacrifice for the sake of tomorrow than the critically acclaimed storytellers at Bioware, something is seriously off. Expand
  91. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First disappointment was that I could not import my Shepard's face that I customized with ME1. Then game was rather good, even if there seem to be less dialog choices than ME1 or even ME2. Graphics were ok. What really pissed me off is the nonsensical endings that basically destroyed everything my Shepard did in the rest of the game. All his choices were basically ignored. It's like the story committed suicide. Its been several days and I'm so depressed by the ending that I don't want to play anymore. Not only that, but the endings appear rushed and the explanations just don't hold up... destroying life to protect it? What a sham. Thank-you Bioware. I'll remember your products. Expand
  92. Mar 20, 2012
    The ending destroyed series. I can't even explain how horrible it was, but I recommend that before purchasing the game you read some of these other reviews as well as going over to the Social BioWare forums to see how upset people are over it. The ending wasn't art, it was blatantly bad writing and rushed production. If you love the ME universe, DON'T buy this game.
  93. Mar 25, 2012
    Poor ending ruins the whole franchise,because of it I am selling the Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 and am not prepared to buy any more games produced by Bioware and certainly not any type of "Bandaid" dlc that will try to cover up the poor, illogical and identical "3" endings provided by the third game.
  94. Mar 25, 2012
    Game is good until not only this game but the previous two installments are completely ruined.
    The Game ruins it and its predecessors with a fail ending that I cannot think of an ending that doesn't use the elements of the current ending that would be worse.
    Multiplayer is solid although won't be able to compete in the long run. Story is good until the end. Lack of Neutral option for chat
    Multiplayer is solid although won't be able to compete in the long run.
    Story is good until the end.
    Lack of Neutral option for chat is lame.
    Lack of Planet Exploration.
    Terrible quest tracker.
    I would give the game an 8 or 9 without the ending but seeing as the ending destroys two of the best games I have ever played this game deserves a 0.
  95. Apr 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So seems money's thin. Cerberus Financial reposessing Normandy tomorrow. Gotta wrap quick. Nothing for hero to do but jump in front of the bus. Red one, green one, or yellow one. Decisions. Decisions. Expand
  96. Jul 3, 2012
    Overall the game was Ok. Not as exiting as I expected.... But the ending just killed it completely. There are enough said on the ending, so I'm not going to repeat it all. Just say that I would rate it much either if ending wasn't so scrued up.
  97. Jul 7, 2012
    I looked forward to this game with a lot of anticipation. I got nervous about it when I played the demo, and unfortunately it was a sign of what the actual game was going the be like. Bioware/EA really phoned it in in much of this game and particularly in the ending, even after the EC DLC. They failed to match many of the premisses they made for content and atmosphere in the game. TheI looked forward to this game with a lot of anticipation. I got nervous about it when I played the demo, and unfortunately it was a sign of what the actual game was going the be like. Bioware/EA really phoned it in in much of this game and particularly in the ending, even after the EC DLC. They failed to match many of the premisses they made for content and atmosphere in the game. The original ME was amazing and by far the best of the three games, EA is a slow acting poison killing Bioware, it is really a shame. If it were not for a few moments in the game that actually felt genuine and thought through I would be giving this game a zero. Expand
  98. Jul 13, 2012
    I could not wait to play this game. I was pretty much disapointed from the begging. Adding a cheesy multi player mode and linking to to the single player campain just sucked. As for the ending.. Even with the extended cut it just plain sucked.
  99. Jul 23, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a great game, that I believe is wrongfully hated on. The reason for this is simple, it changed genres. While the first game was a fully-fledged RPG, the combat mechanics in the first game were sloppy, and in the next game gameplay was vastly improved, but RPG elements were toned down. This left hardcore RPG fans unhappy, This third game definitely has the best gameplay inMass Effect 3 is a great game, that I believe is wrongfully hated on. The reason for this is simple, it changed genres. While the first game was a fully-fledged RPG, the combat mechanics in the first game were sloppy, and in the next game gameplay was vastly improved, but RPG elements were toned down. This left hardcore RPG fans unhappy, This third game definitely has the best gameplay in the series, for the overpowered particle rifle to the addictive Scorpion, but less RPG elements than ever before. Don't let this fool you though, the story is as good as ever, with some truly awesome moments and payoffs, a surprisingly good multiplayer, and plenty of visits from old characters. I would highly recommend playing the series the whole way through, but don't expect the RPG experience in each game, but come in expecting in this third game an awesome action game with RPG elements. Also, the ending wasn't one i particularly liked, but didn't detract as much from the game as the vocal minority say, especially with the extended cut endings. Free DLC in this game is awesome, considering it is an EA game. Overall, I'd rate this game a clean 9.5 and definitely recommend the series to anyone looking for an awesome story that they'll remember for years to come. Expand
  100. Jun 4, 2012
    To sum its all up as neatly as I can think of it this way, the game isn't based totally on graphics and game mechanics. Its always been about story and choices you make for the story so the ending really needs to be held to the same standard. Yes leading up to the ending it was a great game but the ending just wasn't up to the quality of the rest of the series so that's why it leavesTo sum its all up as neatly as I can think of it this way, the game isn't based totally on graphics and game mechanics. Its always been about story and choices you make for the story so the ending really needs to be held to the same standard. Yes leading up to the ending it was a great game but the ending just wasn't up to the quality of the rest of the series so that's why it leaves people feeling upset. Expand

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.