5.7

1. Apr 20, 2012
    I have been a huge fan of this series and bought the collector's edition of all 3 games, but after finishing Mass Effect 3 I have not only lost all interest in the series, but will never be playing another BioWare game. The ending negates everything you did in all 3 games, and doesn't take into account anything that you did along the way, it just comes down to 3 arbitrary choices, all of which are bad, and make no sense. And it is too bad, because I honestly thought this was the best game I ever played until I hit the end, but seeing the 3 endings provided (really one ending with some variations) has left an empty feeling in my stomach, and ruined the entire story for me. I will not pay for any more download content (which is how the game ends telling you to wait for download content that will be coming), nor playing another BioWare game ever again. I just don't understand how the game could not only not allow the choice that the whole series is built on, but also not even seem to understand what you had accomplished in the game. If you are a fan of the series and have not picked it up, don't, let your good image of this game not be tarnished by this awful ending! Expand
  2. Jul 8, 2012
    Poor gameplay, decision taking, writing and innovation. The saving of the game are probably the graphics, which when weighted against the bad things of the game, don't seem to get the score up. No entitlement in the decisions you take. Bad and uninspired characters that decline the quality of the storytelling. A really bad game, overall.
  3. Mar 17, 2012
    This was to be the apex of the story. However it quickly is ruined by what Bioware and EA feel is an ending that makes "sense". There really is very little reason to complete the series as it was all for nothing. I really enjoyed the first and second games. I took the day off to get it release day and I firmly regret it. On top of this Bioware is now claiming that passionate fans are simply demanding to much when we request endings that are logical and factor in our choices. This game like its creator and publisher didn't deliver and hence my rating. Expand
  4. Mar 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the ending to an incredible series of sci-fi games, and it falls short of being anything but a money-grab by EA/Bioware.

Pros: its a video game.

Cons: weird character animations, incredibly annoying camera angles during cut-scenes, too many FMV cut-scenes ruin the pacing, choppy frame rates, laughable and childish dialogue, hit or miss voice acting, out-dated graphics
    and textures, generic 3rd person shooter combat is outdated and "rusty", no attempt at being "scientific" like the last 2 games, most RPG elements are gone, no holstering your weapon, barely any dialogue choices, horrible story and narrative...

here, how about a shorter list:

1. Mass Effect 3 is an incomplete, falling-apart-at-the-seams game, piggybacked onto a massively popular franchise simply to sell it to fans of the series.

2. The ending is atrociously bad...and it doesn't even fit. It makes everything you just did, every choice you just made in the whole series literally pointless.

3. Data was on the disk, removed, and repacked as $10-15 DLC on the day the game was released. This is NOT acceptable and I am never buying another Bioware game simply because of this, until they quit this nonsense. Developers will NOT extort money out of gamers, this stops now. No debate.

4. Speaking of bad game design and boycotting, I won't be an accomplice in the "Hollywoodization" of the gaming industry. Mass Effect 3 thinks its a movie: The camera angles zooming on character's lifeless faces, the narrative, the cut-scenes every 5 minutes, etc..its pathetic.

Any one of those high quality cut-scenes costs more money for developers to create, than I make in an entire decade of paychecks.

Why wasn't any of that money allocated to upgrading gameplay mechanics, instead of trying to make a friggin' movie? These scenes last a few minutes, take up tons of space on the disks, and in the end will be even more outdated in less than 2 years. What meeting did they sit down at EA/Bioware and come to the conclusion this was a good idea?

In fact, ME3 is the most pretentious game I've ever played in my life. It looks like the Titanic after the iceberg.

What more needs to be said to show that this is a shameful, "only for-profit" game by EA and Bioware?

I was a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, but Mass Effect 3 is the "Phantom Menace" to Mass Effect 2's "Empire Strikes Back".
  5. Mar 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 Ending-Hatred: 5 Reasons The Fans Are Right - http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

Somehow Bioware managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of gaming victory with an ending that is poorly written and makes no sense. The article link is one of the best summaries I've read. But hey, as long as EA made loads of money, who cares if the
    race to ship the product short-changed gamers? Expand
  6. May 16, 2012
    Take a dump, put it on a plate, gift-rap it, give it to your best friend for an exuberant amount of money and what do you get? Mass Effect 3. Stay away if you want to retain to fond memories you had of the original two games.
  7. Mar 18, 2012
    This game does not deserve a 10/10, nor a 94 metacritic rating.

Your adventure begins with the reapers attacking earth, the first planet to come under siege. After the confirmation of the reaper invasion as so prophesized by Shepard, you are tasked with uniting the entire universe in not getting annhilated. But throughout the entire game you'll feel like Shepard and his crew are the
    only people in the ENTIRE universe who are taking the whole galaxy obliteration thing seriously. You'll spend the entire game doing favors for the other races who apparently don't give a **** that they and everything they've ever known or loved will die, so long as X objective is fulfilled. And throughout, you'll find plotholes so massive a Geth dreadnought (which is surprisingly accommodating to lifeforms) could fly through them. The Rachni are back, regardless of whether you killed the queen in ME1, for example. As for the ending... it's so bad Bioware issued a statement for damage control. Don't worry though, they intend to give you the ending you deserve so long as you buy yet another DLC pack.

The graphics only look good when the image on screen is static. Try dodging, moving from cover to cover, sprinting, or watching 90% of the cut-scenes and you'll see awful animations, horrible transitions from animation to animation, and sometimes awkward eye movements. And regardless of whether you cleared out all enemies in a conflict zone, the camera still follows Shepard with his gun drawn uncomfortable close, and even with the controller sensitivity setting at "low" (yes, this game, unlike every other shooter released in the past decade, has only 3 settings for analog stick sensitivity) I found myself getting dizzy playing. There are also cinematic events during levels much like the Uncharted series but with choppy animation and crappy camera angles. If you're a fan of claustrophobia and nausea, then you'll love exploring M3E's environments for credits and weapon upgrades.

The entire game feels tight and constricted, from beginning to end. Imagine the linearity of Gears of War with about 50% less space. And the locations that should be sprawling and massive, like the Citadel for example, feel miniscule and require an elevator and a loading screen to access each of the five zones Shepard may explore. Even the outside levels, of which there are only a few, channel you through invisible walls to your objective. In addition, small sections of the map are regurgitated throughout the entire level to save development time, adding to the disorientation.

Multiplayer is a welcome addition, but it too has its faults. The gear you can upgrade includes weapons and their mods, but no armor, and getting said gear is either a massive grind or expensive. Gear is attained by buying "packs" which are essentially booster decks filled randomly with equipment using either MS points or the game's own credit system, which are earned extremely slowly by completing various objectives during multiplayer sessions. It's sickening how shamelessly Bioware fills its own pocket with this system and it creates a rift between players willing to spend money on digital items and players who won't, and the chance of you attaining what you desire for your character are slim, forcing you to buy pack after pack. But the loot system isn't the only thing that feels broken and wrong. Instead of creating a character and class from scratch and choosing and building upon its buffs and abilities, there are 4 or 5 characters for each class, two or 3 with their own special abilities, and each class levels up independently from each other. It isn't the worst system in the world, but you'll feel less attached to each of your many online avatars as you do with Shepard. This also prevents players from creating the exact class/character they desire, as only certain races have access to certain abilities. If you were looking to make a human with Reave, you're SOL. And, unlike the singleplayer campaign, each class has a max of three abilities which cannot be remapped to different buttons. You are stuck using your abilities (but only in multiplayer) with the buttons Bioware chose. Just as perplexing is the lack of a mute option. I cannot stress how absolutely stupid Bioware is for not adding this and many other features that are status quo. I hope you enjoy your multiplayer experience dashed with thirteen year old kids and racists.

Mass 3 Effect is a good game by any standard, but it is not a great game, and the lack of certain options that are standard in every game released in the past decade certainly don't help. But it's the ending and Bioware's disgusting Activision-like business tactics that'll eventually disenchant you from its massive, plot-hole riddled world. Or maybe seeing Ronnie from Jersey Shore joining your crew will do it.
  8. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played all three Mass Effect games and have loved them. The Mass Effect series is my second favorite series. However, this game is extremely disappointing. The game is great up until the last hour when you "take back" Earth. It was nothing as expected or advertised. I expected to have an ending that was a blend of ME1 and ME2. This means that I expected to have epic space and land battles where I had to make ethical decisions that impacted the game. The ending was nothing like this. It was basically the same as any other mission, and you have to make a "choice" at the end. There are three options, and they are all bad options with the same cut scene ending. The cut scene makes no sense, answers no questions, provides no closure, and is an insult to all of the fans of Mass Effect. I basically have two big problems with the game. One, the ending is too ambiguous which doesn't provide any answers or satisfaction. You don't know what happened to the crew, races, worlds, or galaxy. Two, the ending is anti-climatic which means that it is boring and not fitting for a Mass Effect game and especially for the end of a trilogy.
    I have a third problem, but it is not with the game. The third problem is with the developer. Bioware has made some unethical, greedy business decisions lately. It started with their decision to make KOTOR into an MMO instead of another console release. They knew that they would make more money with it as an MMO. I won't get into why I hate MMOs and how they are destroying the RPG genre. Bioware has recently dumbed down other RPG games like Dragon Age II and ME3 to appeal to the masses and make more money. This brings us to ME3. There are three issues with ME3. First, there is a code required to play the multiplayer. This is done to make more money from people who rent or buy used. Second, they have a release day DLC which is something they did for ME2 also. That DLC should be included with the retail release, but they sell it separately to make more money. The DLC isn't worth $10 because it is just one short mission and a playable character. All work completed before the retail release should be included in the retail price. I shouldn't have to pay extra unless they create the material after the release date. Third, they are releasing a DLC with the "true" ending, and they will charge $10 (or more) for this DLC. They made this false ending that no one likes so they could force everyone to buy the DLC with the "true" ending. It was done on purpose because Shepard awakens at the end of the cut scene and is back on Earth. The ending wasn't real. If it wasn't real, why is the real ending released months later and requires additional money? The real ending should have been included on the retail release that you have already bought at a high price. This is also done to make more money at the expense of loyal fans. I paid full price ($60) for what I thought was a finished and good product. I was wrong. It is not finished, and it is not as good as I hoped. I have to pay more money to finish it, but I will not do it. All of their business decisions are fueled by pure greed for money at this point.
    Do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on this game. If you are a fan of ME1 and ME2, then buy the game later. Wait for it to be $20 which won't be long. I bet that it will be $20 by this summer. You shouldn't buy the DLCs either because you don't want to reward and encourage Bioware for their unethical, greedy business practices. Bioware has basically given the middle finger to all loyal fans, and it is laughing all the way to the bank. I know the last few sentences seems really negative, but it is true. How can you not feel shafted by the game's ending and Bioware's business practices?
  9. Mar 19, 2012
    How do you train-wreck a great game and series, 100+ hours of solid story, character development, and gameplay in the span of half an hour? There were so many positives about Mass Effect 3 that are completely overshadowed by the ending. It leaves me wondering why I bothered to go back and play 1&2 again making sure I had all the choices I wanted right when at the end, it didn't really matter. Maybe there is some point being made about the inescapability of destiny, but it feels tacked on. Maybe Bioware had a sudden religious awakening and decided they needed to hammer the idea home with all the subtly of a Krogan battle-master. Whatever the case, the last half hour of Mass Effect 3 comes out of nowhere, ignores all previous choices, and fails to resolve the character's stories. Plus it just doesn't make any godamn sense. A real shame to see a series I was so fond of for five years suddenly fall apart so utterly. Even if Bioware does release a DLC "fix" I'm not sure how much I'd want it. This was a stain on their reputation and while a fix might ease the pain a bit, so does Astroglide. Expand
  10. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was the first game I played where the ending ruined the experience of the entire series for me. I've had it happen with television series to a lesser extent such as Lost and Battlestar Gallactica, but the ending to this game goes counter to the entire message of the Mass Effect games before. It's soured me on the entire IP. When developers such as Bungie and Epic can end their respective sci-fi trilogies of Halo and Gears of War with actual closure and can better convey the theme of great sacrifice for the sake of tomorrow than the critically acclaimed storytellers at Bioware, something is seriously off. Expand
  11. Aug 1, 2012
    As much as I love the ME series I couldnt help but feel like I wasted hours playing all 3 games. ME 3 was a good game. I thought it was solid all around and it kept me entertain and for people not to like it is crazy. I love seeing all the characters from previous games come back to light in this one. But the reason I gave this game a low score was the ending. I can't believe that BioWare would chose the ending that they did. Then to put out the extended cut and yet still leaves you like the "What the F***!" Its a great game until the ending that killed the whole series! Expand
  12. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First disappointment was that I could not import my Shepard's face that I customized with ME1. Then game was rather good, even if there seem to be less dialog choices than ME1 or even ME2. Graphics were ok. What really pissed me off is the nonsensical endings that basically destroyed everything my Shepard did in the rest of the game. All his choices were basically ignored. It's like the story committed suicide. Its been several days and I'm so depressed by the ending that I don't want to play anymore. Not only that, but the endings appear rushed and the explanations just don't hold up... destroying life to protect it? What a sham. Thank-you Bioware. I'll remember your products. Expand
  13. Mar 20, 2012
    One of the most profoundly disappointing endings to any story in any medium. The writers removed the cornerstone in which the entire story was built upon - choice and consequence. So, the entire building comes crashing down at the end. In the end, none of the choices your character makes throughout three games matter. All the relationships you've built are meaningless. There is no closure in the relationships made, whether between LIs or squad mates. They never come to fruition, and there is no resolution. ME3 was advertised to have a multitude of outcomes based upon players' choices. That's what originally made the Mass Effect franchise such a great success. The finale should have raised the player to great heights or taken the player to despair... and everywhere between based upon the consequences of the player's decisions throughout the entirety of the series(Paragon, Renegade, or somewhere in between). BioWare should have finished their remarkable work on the strengths that it was built on. Choice and consequence. It seemed like a given, but... You leave the game feeling complete and utter disappointment. It is truly remarkable how an ending can be so profoundly and remarkably bad. It truly destroys the franchise entirely. This is not an easy thing to say, as I've loved the series from the start. There is no replay value at all. BioWare has ruined years of work in the last ten minutes on what should have been one of the greatest RPGs of all time. It will be a study in the future on how not to end a story franchise. Expand
  14. Mar 20, 2012
    First of all i want to say that this game is MOSTLY good. It's the ending that ruins it. I'll explain why the ending ruins the game without spoiling anything. Mass Effect series has been a game all about choice. The choices you pick will have negative or positive impacts. In the final scheme of things, these choices do not have any reflection on the end. Basically, the ending is always the same (minus your favorite color choice of explosions. No im not kidding, its exactly as it sounds). The ending of this game will make you feel like everything you did was for nothing. It brings no closure, and is riddled with plotholes.

Playing a 60+ hour RPG should give you a satisfied ending, whether its happy or sad. This game undoes everything you did and makes it feel like it was all for nothing. I love mass effect, but these endings are non-sensical, and not poetic. Not only do the endings make you feel like you just wasted your time, but they also do not make any sense by going against the games logic, set forth in the previous games and in ME3 itself. It feels like a rush job and sloppy writing.

I strongly advise you to not listen to what naysayers who speak of "Mass Effect 3 being a work of art" say. If you ask any of them why they like the game, they can't give you a straight answer other than them being Bioware fans. I love bioware, but when someone takes advantage of you as a consumer, you have to call them out on it. And anyone reading this, i am TRYING to protect you as a consumer and not as a troll. DO NOT waste your time with this game. If it wernt for the ending, i would say play it. But unless Bioware does something to make the endings feel more worth it. Just avoid this series.
  15. Mar 20, 2012
    The ending destroyed series. I can't even explain how horrible it was, but I recommend that before purchasing the game you read some of these other reviews as well as going over to the Social BioWare forums to see how upset people are over it. The ending wasn't art, it was blatantly bad writing and rushed production. If you love the ME universe, DON'T buy this game.
  16. Mar 20, 2012
    This game does everything important right. Mass effect still stands as one of the best series of this gaming generation. you could look past all the minor flaws. That was, until the ending. The ending manages to undo and/or invalidate essentially everything that shepard does throughout not just ME3, but the other two games as well. It leaves a bitter taste in your mouth that nothing can wash off.

I loved it. Then there was the ending....
  17. Mar 20, 2012
    A complete departure from the spirit of the series in that there's no impact from your prior decisions on the ending. There are a few great scenes; but overall, it's a travesty.
  18. Mar 20, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game. I really tried to forgive the ending. But once I stopped making excuses and stopped leaning on the last two games,I came to accept that I truly hated the game as a whole and wish i hadn't played it.
  19. Mar 21, 2012
    just wtf were they thinking? where are shepherd's emotions for his dying "friends," and why are previous decisions just glazed over and ignored? even putting those big issues aside, the ending was one of the most disappointing pieces of garbage I have ever witnessed. you go through 3 games, 5 years total playing this trilogy and you are given 3 choices? what was the point of all those other choices that were posed as "big deals," when they don't even come into play at the end? never mind how screwed everyone is at the end, the ending choices themselves end up screwing everyone or taking away from their autonomy as sapient beings one way or another! How did a game series so good just down right destroy their reputation in one fell swoop? Then there are the plot holes. I won't spoil anything too badly here, but if you have played the game then you know that there are irreconcilable problems with many aspects of the ending. these writers need to go through some kind of common sense seminar or something because this is unacceptable. My recommendation to anyone who has not bought the game is to wait and see if there are any worthwhile dlc's that come out in the future, otherwise you will be angry as a guy who was just sold a turd in the guise of a game. Expand
  20. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game did not deliver. this whole series as been about choices. the whole point of bringing a character from one to 3 and choice impacting the endings. the ending is a kick in the balls. 100 hours+ of gameplay for nothing. the pandered to the casual gamers. it has gone from an rpg to a flaky copy of gears of war with every mission being about suviving rounds of enemys. having invested so much time in this game i and thousands like me feel let down by bioware. ea has got there money grabbing hands all over this. DAY ONE DLC!! that actually is a big part of story. and this horde rip off multiplayer. im sorry but this is not mass effect. not by a long shot. bioware has lost alot of credabillty. dragon age 2 was bad enough now this. the cancer that is ea has spread further. simply put the ending ruins this game. 3 **** choices. where none of you descions in the last 2 games matters. none. red green or blue. and whats with this stupid kid. shepard seen 1000s of people blended in the collecter base. and one kid dying gets to him. there where kids ob the collecter base aswell. plus why is joker leaving in the mass relay. he wouldnt of been able. just leaving shepard to die. plus i brought ashley with me on the last mision. she was right behind me when i was running towards the beam. how did she survive and get to the normandy. plus no reaper forces on the citadel. really. too many holes in the ending. plus geth, turian,krogan,salarian all traped in the solar system with no relays. Expand
  21. Mar 25, 2012
    Poor ending ruins the whole franchise,because of it I am selling the Mass Effect 1,2 and 3 and am not prepared to buy any more games produced by Bioware and certainly not any type of "Bandaid" dlc that will try to cover up the poor, illogical and identical "3" endings provided by the third game.
  22. Mar 25, 2012
    While I did enjoy most of Mass Effect 3, there are several issues that I found quite disappointing and has left a severely bad after taste in my mouth. First of all, the move from even further away from its RPG roots. For example, the dumbing down of dialogue. The middle ground options seem to have just been completely removed, only providing you a top or bottom choice most of the time. Next, is the lack of exploration. The only place to go to talk to people, a RPG "city" as you will, is the Citadel. Other than that, its pretty much run and gun.

The other issue I had with it is the day 1 DLC. It is obvious this character was never meant to leave the game. He provides key story information about the previous cycle, why the markers exist, the reapers, and the fate of the Protheans.

My by far most unforgiving issue and biggest disappointment with the game are the endings. The last 10 minutes of the game introduce a brand new character, creates massive plot holes, provide zero closure to anything you've done, have no way to challenge the new end game character's ridiculously insane logic, and have each ending 98% the same as the others. In addition, no matter what choice you make throughout the entire saga, it will have no effect on the end sequence. You will not get any cut-scenes or any form of text explaining how your choices effected the galaxy or what happens to any of your squad mates. Every Shepard will receive the exact same set of endings regardless of what you do. The only factor that plays any roll on the ending is the "effective military strength". Overall, I found the endings to be so empty, depressingly unsatisfying, and poorly written that they have ruined the entire series. Being a long time Mass Effect fan since the first, I wanted to play from the beginning again, but after seeing and knowing what awaits me at the end of 3, I can't even look at it.

As I said in the beginning, I did still enjoy most of Mass Effect 3 and could look past its step back from its RPG roots still. Excluding the endings, rating it based soley off the journey up to the end point, i would give the game a 9/10. However, the endings are simply story telling suicide that are so bad they tarnish the entire series greatness. Due to that factor, I give the game overall a 2/10 for the amount of damage the endings do to the franchise along with the depressingly bad after taste it leaves.
  23. Mar 25, 2012
    Game is good until not only this game but the previous two installments are completely ruined.
    The Game ruins it and its predecessors with a fail ending that I cannot think of an ending that doesn't use the elements of the current ending that would be worse.
    Multiplayer is solid although won't be able to compete in the long run.
    Story is good until the end.
    Lack of Neutral option for chat
    is lame.
    Lack of Planet Exploration.
    Terrible quest tracker.
    I would give the game an 8 or 9 without the ending but seeing as the ending destroys two of the best games I have ever played this game deserves a 0.
  24. Mar 30, 2012
    Yeah, I really liked the game, had a few bugs, a few bumps along the ride, but the end....man...the ending is bad on an entirely new dimension.
    Why is it enough to give the hole game this low rating?...because not only this ending is completely unlogical and senseless, it completely destroys everything the series has accomplished since ME1, every squad member in the end gets his
    personality destroyed, their loyalties obliterated.
    Every little piece of gameplay, every little dialogue, every emotional moment along the hole franchise, got destroyed in less than 20 minutes of non playing gameplay :S
  25. Mar 31, 2012
    Loved all the mass effect games, why would they destroy such a wonderfull series with such a blatantly illogical LAST 5 MIN... I justify my score with the following articles and videos:

1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E
    2-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

Fix this ending plz.
  26. Apr 2, 2012
    The third game totally betrayed the sense of Discovery, that the 1st on had, and even the second one. i have to echo what has been said here, the animation was AWFUL, and embarrassing for a company of this caliber to release as finished work.
  27. Apr 6, 2012
    RIP Bioware. I mean.. EAWare.. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE
  28. Apr 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom line: Bioware and EA has pulled it off brilliantly to mess up the whole series with the final instalment of the ME trilogy. A highly disappointing conclusion to the trilogy, which in many ways goes against the essential principles, which made ME1 and ME2 such good games.

ME1 and ME2 were, in spite of their flaws, for me a brilliant game-play experience. Although the two first games suffer a bit from too many illusional choices, which actually do not influence the development of story, it never felt as a problem for me, and at least some of the critical choices made would have a very real impact on how the game progressed. This is however completely different in ME3, where virtually all choices made throughout the game, including the meticulous build-up of a joint strike force, in the end proves to be without any kind of significance. Furthermore the relations built up throughout three games to the Normandy crew as well as other friends, is in the end completely pointless, as there will be no reward for the 100+ hours of game-play and decision making throughout the three games. To make matters worse, no amount of DLC content will ever be able to salvage the story and correct the horrible story writing. In terms of game-play mechanics ME3 otherwise feels very polished and refined in many aspects, compared to its predecessors. Many missions and fights are likewise quite memorable. Unfortunately this is seriously messed up near the end of the game, where several combat situations have been very poorly designed. It is namely the introduction of survival mode combat sequences, which seriously messes up the experience. Waves of enemies charges in, and your combat skill will essentially mean very little as to how well these sequences are completed. Stay alive for XX minutes or fail is the essence â
  29. Apr 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So seems money's thin. Cerberus Financial reposessing Normandy tomorrow. Gotta wrap quick. Nothing for hero to do but jump in front of the bus. Red one, green one, or yellow one. Decisions. Decisions. Expand
  30. Apr 11, 2012
    Any gamer would give this game a zero because: -Interview lies about multiple endings. -Advertising lies about the game choices mattering in the end. -Day 1 DLC. Some of the DLC content is on the game disc!!! They planned to milk more money from the player on release. This is a highly shameful and disgust practice that no gamer should encourage. -One ending. Three different colors. Anyone giving more than a zero to this game is encouraging game developers to:
    -lie about the contents of their product
    -to not finish their product without asking for more money after you bought it (day1 DLC)
  31. Apr 24, 2012
    I was really disappointed with Mass Effect 3 instead of getting what I thought was the 3rd in a line of excellence I got a what felt like a rushed game with weak game play, unrealistic characters, and uninspiring dialog.
    The choose your own actions seems lacking at best of times and extremely dull. The OTT action sequence that are meant to real in the masses aren't that impressive, and
    instantly forgettable. After finishing the first 2 (especially the 1st) I just couldn't help myself in letting everyone around me know how awesome they were. Sadly Mass Effect 3 just didn't have the same impact and never really delivered the game I was looking forward to play for so long. Bioware has ruined the franchise. Expand
  32. May 21, 2012
    Sodomic, heterophobic pile of crap, propaganding **** BS.

Also sloppy gameplay (though it was like this in ME2 too) and no signs of RPG and of course day 1 DLC.
  33. May 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is a mixed bag. It combines the more classical RPG elements of ME1 with an improved version of the action from ME2; using powers is exhilarating, especially if you take advantage of your ability to micromanage your team mates. The set pieces are awe inspiring and epic. The writing is hit-and-miss, although it has many more hits than misses. Mostly, everything shines.There are, of course, a few elephants in the room: First of all, the day 1 DLC is exploitative and awful. Bioware took a character that serious fans of the series are going to be very interested in, and they made him unavailable, even though he should be included in the game itself. Not worth the money, and only takes advantage of the lore for a cheap buck.

Secondly, choices from the first two games hold very little impact. The developers simply didn't live up to their word about the story. Yes, the gameplay is great, but ME1 was great too, and it didn't have nearly as good gameplay. Decisions feel weighty during the first playthrough, but it feels cheap on the second. This is because elements and decisions from previous games appear, but any research reveals that they appear anyway. *SPOILERS* For example, I was very excited to see the rachni queen, but then I learned she appears regardless of my decision from ME1. It was great to catch up with old team members, but I found out they are replaced with a doppleganger if I haven't saved them. Finally, the ending. It sucks. None of it gels with the themes of the first two games. If the game developers wanted to include some moral message about how nothing matters once we die, they were successful. But nothing from the previous two games even hint at that kind of theme, and the ending itself is contradictory to many answers the games provide. Don't bother finishing the game, because the ending isn't worth it. Seriously. Just stop playing before you return to earth, and you'll have a much better experience than most players.

I was super hyped for this game because I had become such a big fan of the series, but this game made me wish I hadn't wasted my time. I honestly wanted to take back the 150+ hours I spent playing the first two games. I wish I never got so entrenched in the lore of the universe, or the stories of the team members. Don't buy this game. Don't even start playing the series. You'll only set yourself up for disappointment.
  34. Jun 16, 2012
    Action scenes bugged, false choices, closed world and linear progression. Whatever i did, i got the same results of my friend who made different choices. My only pleasure is when i see my character is better in fight than theirs. I won't even talk about the end which made us want to never play it again. Music is good. Probably, i will sell it to someone else like a cursed gift. Oh, and DLC ? Seriously ? Expand
  35. Jul 3, 2012
    Overall the game was Ok. Not as exiting as I expected.... But the ending just killed it completely. There are enough said on the ending, so I'm not going to repeat it all. Just say that I would rate it much either if ending wasn't so scrued up.
  36. Jul 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I reserved my judgement till the EC was out. It's out and I will never buy another game from Bioware. Period. Here is why.

At first I could not even load my Shepards into the game because of the Character Transfer bugs. I ended up needing to use a fan work around and an empty USB drive even to get my Shepard into the game. To date the only fix they've given us just removes the error message for some fans, myself included on two faces. Still not fixed and still bugged to all hell.

So then I started out my game and the issues kept piling on. I noticed the auto-dialogue, being down to two conversation choices, MP being required to get all the endings, etc. I'm sure you've read them in numerous other posts before. Yeah combat's nice and all, but I don't play a Bioware game for combat. I play their games for a rich background world and characters I'm going to love for years. I know they reuse plots, but I thoroughly enjoy the company while I play them. The endings, that they took whole cloth from Deux Ex, destroy that ride. Every time I fire up the Xbox to play one of my other Shepards, I find it doesn't matter. I know how it'll end. Saving the Council or not. Recruiting people or not. Doing anything in the three games really has no bearing whatsoever on the last choice. That is why I think the endings do a great disservice to a series lauded for choices. Nothing really matters other then the very last one, which are all the same as long as your score is high enough. I think I could have been okay with some of the EC, if Bioware didn't give us all a giant FU as the 'new' ending. Destroy, where Shepard does not act like a mindless zombie like the others. This new ending is nothing more the Casey saying FU to the fans about changing his very flawed endings. So I'm done with Bioware and anything with Casey Hudson's name on it.
  37. Jul 7, 2012
    I looked forward to this game with a lot of anticipation. I got nervous about it when I played the demo, and unfortunately it was a sign of what the actual game was going the be like. Bioware/EA really phoned it in in much of this game and particularly in the ending, even after the EC DLC. They failed to match many of the premisses they made for content and atmosphere in the game. The original ME was amazing and by far the best of the three games, EA is a slow acting poison killing Bioware, it is really a shame. If it were not for a few moments in the game that actually felt genuine and thought through I would be giving this game a zero. Expand
  38. Jul 13, 2012
    I could not wait to play this game. I was pretty much disapointed from the begging. Adding a cheesy multi player mode and linking to to the single player campain just sucked. As for the ending.. Even with the extended cut it just plain sucked.
  39. Jul 23, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a great game, that I believe is wrongfully hated on. The reason for this is simple, it changed genres. While the first game was a fully-fledged RPG, the combat mechanics in the first game were sloppy, and in the next game gameplay was vastly improved, but RPG elements were toned down. This left hardcore RPG fans unhappy, This third game definitely has the best gameplay in the series, for the overpowered particle rifle to the addictive Scorpion, but less RPG elements than ever before. Don't let this fool you though, the story is as good as ever, with some truly awesome moments and payoffs, a surprisingly good multiplayer, and plenty of visits from old characters. I would highly recommend playing the series the whole way through, but don't expect the RPG experience in each game, but come in expecting in this third game an awesome action game with RPG elements. Also, the ending wasn't one i particularly liked, but didn't detract as much from the game as the vocal minority say, especially with the extended cut endings. Free DLC in this game is awesome, considering it is an EA game. Overall, I'd rate this game a clean 9.5 and definitely recommend the series to anyone looking for an awesome story that they'll remember for years to come. Expand
  40. Aug 1, 2012
    Save your money and don't make the same mistake I did buying this game. If your a fan you will rip your hair out after playing this game, but if you are a newcomer play ME1, ME2 and imagine that this game never existed. If you have bought the game DO NOT BUY From Ashes DLC. It isn't worth the price and if you play this game on PC you can unlock the character from the ''From Ashes'' DLC with notepad.

Reasons you will hate this game:

1 - It turns away from Sci-Fi and goes to space magic.

2 - All the decisions you made in previous games won't matter.

3 - Too much auto dialogue from start to finish.

4 - Boring side missions, those side mission are all the same and pointless.

5 - No more than six or seven crew members.

6 - Reapers look and function differently than in previous games.

7 - Major plot-holes.

8 - No original missions.

9 - Multiplayer that is worth playing long as it gets dlc's every month.

10 - Duologue options are useless, people will often answer the same way to your all duologue options, same with Shepard.

12 - The ending is very unoriginal, contradicts the franchise and contains a lot of space magic.

In a nutshell this should have been called Little Effect 3 and the Extended Cut DLC doesn't make a difference.
  41. Mar 14, 2013
    I... What... This is... I can't... (adopting James Earl Jones voice) NOOOOOOOOO!!!! There simply aren't words that can adequately describe how incredibly disappointed I was with this title. The sheer dumbing and scaling down and utter contrived nonsense of this game simply defies belief. To summarize: The conversation wheel is reduced to mostly two choices, which most of the time are just verbal variations of the very same choice. The Citadel has been reduced to four very small "rooms" which make you feel like you're in a dorm rather than a huge construction floating in space. The story makes little to no sense what so ever (and that's well before one of the worst, most contrived, horribly written, and senseless endings in the history of writing). Side missions consists primarily of Shep playing UPS-guy. Here's how it works: Eavesdrop on total stranger, go to system, scan planet, find object, go back, deliver found object to total stranger, the end. And if you thought Bioware couldn't make scanning planets more absurdly boring than it was in ME2 (where it actually served some kind of purpose), then you're in for a surprise. Imagine playing Tetris with only square blocks which take up the entire grid. That's scanning planets in ME3. You don't really do anything. The shooting levels are extremely linear and makes the whole game feel more like an attempt at a Gears of War clone with longer cutscenes (and a still dysfunctional AI) than Mass Effect. Oh, and did I mention the sheer amount of auto dialogue? Then there's Tali's face... Oh God, how lazy can you get? Then there's the IGN chick. WHAT!? And then there's the ending... You know, the one where all the decisions you made throughout the three games come together and gives you a plethora of different endings? Well, no! No choices you ever made make even one iota of difference. Everybody gets the same three completely ridiculous, contrived, senseless, and grotesquely illogical choices of endings. Remember we were told that the Reapers were beyond human comprehension? Well, it turns out they were right. Noone can possibly comprehend the assenying, senseless stupidity which is the Reapers and the Catalyst (or smurfboy aka deux ex machina).
    To sum up: Mass Effect 3 is a boring 3rd person shooter with long cutscenes and a completely senseless story and one of the worst conclusions ever in gaming history. The only reason I can swing my way up to a four, is the production value which is excellent and the fact that there is actually two missions in this game that has the old Mass Effect feel of choice and consequence. But twice simply isn't enough when we consider that was the whole premiss of the game.
    The story of the Mass Effect franchise is the story of how game companies all now seem to aim for the lowest common denominator (aka "as long as I can shoot stuff and don't have to actually think or do anything, I'm happy") rather than aim for excellence.
  42. Apr 13, 2012
    Oh, man. So bad. The ending is horrible, but you already know that if you haven't been living under a rock. I couldn't have been worse if "it had all been a dream", it couldn't have been worse if everyone spontaneously broke into song for the grand finale of ME - the musical episode. Or if they'd just had the wisdom to cut out the last 20 minutes. That said, that's not why I am rating this a 0.

The gameplay suffered badly from ME1 and even ME2: the main story skeleton is an unbelievable gimmick, and off that hang side missions that are at best so-so, with no choice in dialog and pretty bad animation (I mean, really, the running female Shepard?!)

The side missions frequently have inconsistencies (characters appearing/disappearing, physically unlikely scenarios (someone should educate the writers about mass and energy, and how if I spent half an hour defeating a mech that can kill me with one shot, a cutscene that shows everyone standing in an open shuttle looking at said mech pointing his guns at me but not shooting for a minute is pretty stupid).

I won't whine about how this could have been a great game, but it's sad to see how cheaply and easily this game could have been ten times as good.

It's a testament to how bad management can ruin great properties by killing what makes the teams that produce them good.
  43. Jun 4, 2012
    To sum its all up as neatly as I can think of it this way, the game isn't based totally on graphics and game mechanics. Its always been about story and choices you make for the story so the ending really needs to be held to the same standard. Yes leading up to the ending it was a great game but the ending just wasn't up to the quality of the rest of the series so that's why it leaves people feeling upset. Expand
  44. Mar 18, 2012
    After completing the game one has to wonder whether Bioware diverted all their resources to Star Wars - The Old Republic. One can only hope that is the excuse for this ending to the series. Regardless of the excuses or, perish the thought these "endings" were actually planned out, the Nihilistic ending made me regret having spent time even bothering to develop a character. Perhaps it's a joke. Or a calculated business move to offer DLC that lets you have an ending where you actually have some impact. As such this mess is such a shame for what had been such a promising series. In my humble opinion it is that bad. And it's sad. Not the sadness of any ending but the saddest thing in the world: Wasted potential. The wasted potential from a sloppy meaningless ending to an otherwise previously well executed series. I have lost the will to replay Mass Effect due to the ending. If that was Bioware's (and/or EA's) intentions, then well played EA/Bioware. I won't bother to return. If this is the same attention they plan for other games then I wish them well. I will not be playing them. Expand
  45. Mar 29, 2012
    BEEN UNABLE TO PLAY FOR OVER 2 WEEKS DUE TO KNOW BUG.EA SUPPORT IS NO HELP AT ALL. BIOWARE JUST KEEPS SAYING NOTHING BUT WE WILL HAVE IT FIXED SOON. WASTE OF MONEY. plus little i did get to play was just a horrible rehash for all those stupid people who love the same thing over and over and over....
  46. Mar 30, 2012
    This game could have been a masterpiece but the final result is only a forgettable mix of bugs, holes in a childish plot with the "wish" to be serious, a ton of shadows and emphasis everywhere, no exploration, no puzzles, flat dialogues and the worst ending in videogame history. In certain things it could deserve a 11 but in others not more than a -20 so my balance is 0. Nothing more than a "project" of a game, an interesting project never terminated and poorly done, or at least that's not good to be released like this. Expand
  47. Mar 20, 2012
    Can the ending ruin the journey? Well Mass Effect 3 attempts to give a definitive answer to that question, and it is a resounding yes. The ending violates everything Mass Effect stands for (i.e choice) and needs to be changed, but for that to happen you need to get the message through to Bioware, and this is a way to contribute. This saga deserves a better ending than what we got :)
  48. Mar 13, 2012

No, the ending is so not perfect at all. For those who say it is perfect, you are clearly biased and didn't even finish the game yet.
  49. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The fans deserved a real ending. We paid over $200 over the life of the series. We all invested time and money into what was a collective narrative that we all cared about. The only thing we wanted was a real conclusion. An epilogue. That's why we bought it. Endings matter. They help give meaning to all the choices made, or the choices we didn't make.

More than that. I feel we all were lied to. In the build-up, we were promised a complex ending which was largely dependent on the choices we made. But that didn't happen. We got an A, B, or C selection. We were told the Citidel would be larger than before. Both lies. And now, Bioware is ignoring the complaints.

Here's the ending I would have liked to see (I can't remember where this came from, so I cannot take credit for it):

The ending that I wanted...the ending we all deserved. The ending should have been simple. The Crucible is just a monstrous laser beam that tears Reapers into little bits, and then we have Shepard wake up on the Normandy, Lord of the Rings style. And then the epilogue plays. To celebrate the victory, the biggest party in Galactic history is thrown on the Citadel. Everyone gets filthy drunk and dances the night away. EDI and Joker try to have sex, which ends with a shattered pelvis. Grunt does some hilarious stuff, Jack gets in a catfight with Miranda (jello optional), Garrus and Shepard go swimming in the giant lake, Wrex tries to join them and almost drowns (in a funny way) and finally catches that fish, someone pours a Gatorade bucket (Mass Effect equivalent) on Hackett's head, who flips out at first but ends up having fun, and other general hijinx ensue. And then afterwards there's a bunch of shots of the different species rebuilding their homeworlds. Shots of the Quarian and Geth getting along, the leftover Reaper corpses towed into space and blown into bits, red tape being cut, etc. Happy happy happy. And then there's a love interest ending. For example, Ashley and Shepard are shown with her family on Earth, maybe starting a new life together in the military. Or whoever the love interest was...just show them together.... And then, the final shot is of the Statue of Shepard that gets erected in the Citadel, and it fades to credits. And there are no child gods, I don't feel like I should have to explain why. I don't think this is too much to ask for, you know? An actual ending.....
  50. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is brilliant UNTIL!!! the totally gutting and terrible ending to this fantastic series, why? just why??? it has nothing to do with anything, no choices make a difference, it is a punch in face to loyal fans, a new character in the dying seconds of the game tells you this: The Reaperâ Expand
  51. Mar 18, 2012
    Greatest game series I've ever played... until the last 10 minutes completely undoes EVERYTHING the series stood for and all the hard work put into three games. Bioware didn't just drop the ball at the one yard line in the last game of a perfect season. Bioware stopped at the one yard line and gave everyone in the audience the finger.
  52. Mar 18, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the Mass Effect Series. i watch it devolve from RPG to 3rd person shooter. However Mass Effect was able to keep the balance. The way i rate the game success is replay ability. After how ME3 ending i can not even play Mass Effect original again. The passion has been ripped out of me for the series. It came down to A B or C option. Either way everything is over with the universe. It was out of character and confusing. The ending was being written during the whole game and was culminating into a spectacular ending. However this was thrown away. For a modern cliche twist ending. It's sad this was on the way for the best RPG of the 21st century. Something for the benchmark all RPG on for the future. Gone. Expand
  53. Mar 20, 2012
    This isn't the player's adventure anymore. Although there is much complaint about the ending deviating from your choices (which it certainly does), that is really a consistent problem throughout the story. If you lost a character in the last two games, he is simply replaced by a similar stock character, who performs their task just as well with no repercussions other than some slightly varied dialogue.

The ending is such a disgrace, and it so well known to be so, I feel it a waste of time to elaborate upon that.
  54. Mar 20, 2012
    No improvement on Mass Effect 2. Just a re-hash of the last game. The mission system is terrible. You have no idea what stage you are at in the missions or where to go. The side quest are, again, re-hashes of the online multi-player.

Some of the aspects of furthering the story are quite good up to a point. Then the game has the most stupid, uneducated, simplistic, disappointing ending I
    have ever seen in a game. It takes no account of the lore of the game, makes no sense, would result in everyone being stranded and most of the systems being destroyed along with everyone that you were trying to save, and your choices make no difference to the ending of the game. Even though its an A,B,C ending, they are all pretty much identical!

Bio Ware used to be great, but now they seem to have a knack at ruining their games (look at Dragon Age 2). EA are probably to blame.

The whole game was also very buggy. At one point I had 2 Edi's, Tali died and then came back from the dead in a love seen??? and doors would randomly take an age to open. Sometimes powers and squad commands did not work! To sum up, the entire game felt rushed, was buggy, and had a generic ending that made no sense. Very disappointing.
  55. Mar 20, 2012
    My playthrough lasted 36 hours and 25 minutes. 36 hours and 20 minutes were fun, challenging, and touching then with the final five minutes this game committed narrative suicide and the terrible ending was all the worse for the greatness of this series. Endings matter especially in mass effect and this one was so bad that if it is not fixed through some dlc I just don't know if I ever have the heart to play another bioware game again. (And I've played everything bioware has ever released.) Bad ending ruined great franchise. Expand
  56. Mar 20, 2012
    The ending completely killed the entire series for me. It wasn't thought provoking or deep at all, it was lazy writing and a rushed effort that I was very unsatisfied with.
  57. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played Mass Effect since it first came out. I eagerly awaited Mass Effect 2, ordered books, the collector's edition, even the Prima guide. I've replayed it more times than I can count When Mass Effect 3 was announced, I was ecstatic. I rushed to secure a collector's edition, and by the time March 6th came around I was ready to hole myself in my basement and play til I finished. And I do love BioWare. Because of Mass Effect, I bought Dragon Age and KOTOR. I applaud them for all their brilliance in the past, but I strongly believe they stumbled at the finish line for Mass Effect.

99% of the game was perfection. I had chills down my spine during the Fall of Thessia, I shed a tear when Mordin and Thane sacrificed themselves. It was such an emotionally gripping game. However, the final 5 minutes is what ruined everything. Casey Hudson promised us that our choices would matter. How do they matter in a simple choice: red, green, or blue explosion? He promised us 16 DIFFERENT endings. The entire series was about choice and consequence. It was about weighing options and making moral decisions. All of this was completely nullified by the introduction of a God Child and the whole Stargazer debacle. The ending is so full of plot holes - why is Joker running away from a fight? Why did my squadmates mysteriously disappear then reappear on the Normandy? How did Anderson get ahead of Shepard when he said he got into the beam after him? How did Hackett know it was Shepard when the chatter says that no one made it to the beam? I personally believe the indoctrination theory, but it becomes difficult to believe when BioWare remains silent. If tanking the metacritic scores, making noise, and banding together is what it takes for BioWare to notice and make a change, then I'm all in. Hold the line.
  58. Zuk
    Mar 20, 2012
    This game was on the verge of being the Sci-Fi epic of our generation - in the form of a video game trilogy! But, alas, BioWare got butterfingers less than 10 minutes from the conclusion. Rather than giving all of our hard work, all of the many stories told, and most of all a great damn hero in Commander Shepard a REAL send off? The type that they deserved? What happened?

On top of that,
    the ending ruined the Reapers as well! They went from truly terrifying and powerful cosmic horrors from beyond the Galaxy to the pets of a nonsensical "god child"! All that talk by Sovereign in Mass Effect 1 and they ended up being nothing but tools.

On top of that, the ruining did just what it was promised not to do: gave us an "A, B, C" style ending which in no way took account for all of the story threads we had loomed together.

At some point, BioWare's writers simply dropped the ball.
  59. Mar 20, 2012
    The game was really good until the last 5 minutes of the game. It's really a shame that the ending ruins the entire franchise. Absolute disappointment.
  60. Mar 26, 2012
    Save yourself the time and trouble of purchasing this god-awful travesty and simply hit yourself in the testicles. Repeatedly. This is the same feeling you will get as the end credits roll over this steaming pile of dog manure.
  61. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of the best games of the Mass Effect series, unfortunately the experience and memory of the poor ending of this game makes that all moot. Expand
  62. Mar 28, 2012
    I am so sorry, Bioware. I loved all of your games up to Dragon Age 2, which seemed to be where you started to mess up. I was also an avid fan of Mass Effect, but this game just destroys my faith. I tried to like it, I really did.
  63. Mar 29, 2012
    I have been a fan of the series for half a decade, and I was really looking forward to the third installment of Mass Effect 3. As a result the game managed to disappoint me beyond what I thought was possible. Bioware has created something so awful that retroactively makes the whole series pointless, and I doubt I will ever bother with this series again. Add in shameless day 1 DLC, which clearly was an important part of the game to begin with, and you have one of the worst sequels in RPG history Expand
  64. fmb
    Mar 29, 2012
    I think the game has moments of greatness, but overall, I feel like it is sloppy, incomplete, and worst of all, uninspired. The lack of legitimate side quests (only six N7 missions, all with very little variety in tone, plot, and scenery), the complete removal of any form of exploration, the thinness of dialogue options and prevalence of auto dialogue, the lack of conversation with companions, the limited use of ME2 squadmates, the fetch quest system ala Dragon Age 2, and the incoherent and lackluster ending all make this a frustrating and disappointing game. I expected Mass Effect to go out with a bang, but instead I feel like it just stumbled to an unsatisfying conclusion. It could have been a lot more than it was. Expand
  65. Mar 30, 2012
    Hrm.. I would have given mass effect 1 and 2 around a 9 out of 10 but this final instalment is a real dissapointment. I feel like I have lost hours of my life which can never be reclaimed, It is and it is'nt the ending that spoil this game, i feel as if all of your decisions in 3 are incosiquential as everything towards the end is almost fixed, you can't go wrong or right. Also you are presented with many less choices than before, you know just get the good / evil choice and both lead to the same result. Seeing as this game was always about narrative, the story seems to have thinned out ten fold with the most important aspect of the game now seemingly being the shooter, i never played mass effect to kill hordes of the enemy, that always bored the hell out of me, but that is all this game throws at you, I found that i would often change from hardcore to casual just because of the length of time it was taking to fight the hordes, i wanted a well writen story not a shooter. If i had wanted to aimlessly kill hordes of enemy i would have played dead island or some other shooter. Now the ending ruined the previous 2 games for me i feel like it makes everything a bit pointless and futile because realisticlly you had no chance of changing anything meaning all of your previous decisions are void as such. I am yet to play multiplayer all though I hear it is good so fingers crossed it will make up for one of the worse and most dissapointing narratives of a single player game for the last many months. Expand
  66. Apr 1, 2012
    There should be an audit for the critic reviews for Mass Effect 3. There is no way that you can finish this game and still give a review of 10 out of 10. I don't think majority of the 1st day reviewers for Mass Effect 3 finished the game. The game is about 9 or 10 out of 10, but in the last 10 mins, the entire trilogy become unraveled. I would give this game a 3 or 4.
  67. Jun 3, 2012
    this is dumb dumb even with total bad ending the even more problem to it the kinect feature on 360 does not do what we ask it when you say player name advance to attack stay back etc then when u use words like ok let go say it sometimes it pick it up
  68. Apr 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am so sad I had to do this, I never thought I would have to. Mass Effect WAS an epic series. However I cannot condone what they have done with this game. If you don't buy this game new you will have to pay more to access the tacked on multiplayer. Yea, you heard me. There was Disk Locked Content that you had to pay $10 to unlock, which most people were going to given that the character was a Prothean. They promised you would not need to do multiplayer to get all the endings, however the best ending (a five second scene of Shepard taking a breath) is not possible to obtain without doing the multiplayer currently. Excluding 2 or 3 the side quests are atrocious. The gameplay is improved and the characters are great, Garrus being the stand out, but all this is forgotten as you try to figure out what happened in the last 10 minutes and realized it wasn't written by the same people who did the rest of the game. It's a disaster I won't even bother to go into detail as I'm sure every other review hits on it. This is the single worst ending in the history of gaming. It's like Bioware doesn't want anyone to buy from them again. Giving me a terrible ending and adding the text "Buy more dlc" isn't going to make me happy. Expand
  69. May 3, 2012
    First of all i like to say that "Mass Effect 3" is one of the best games ever made in my opinion, even the whole series is awesome. As the reaction of many gamers shows, i am not alone who expected a marvelous finale at the end of this Sci-Fi Triology! And what have i became? A crappy nonsense telling end, that is it. That was the great announced final? I do not think so, i do not get it! So i have rated the game with 2/10 not in case of the gameplay or atmosphere, i did it, because the ending really pissed me off like most of you and EA/Bioware's Statement handled us, the Fans/Gamers like idiots and ignored our support over the last 5 years. I mean, look at all the feature's they have promised. At the end, none of the decisions i have made during the first two parts is considered. What happened at all? You can choose like in "Deus Ex 3" between 3 endings. Do not tell me that i have to level my readiness til 5000 pts.+ or my renegade/paragon bar to the max. Treat gamers like that is perky and unforgettable! Check out "Angry Joe's" Review or 10 Reasons why the ending really sucks for Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E At least Bioware was sold out by Electronic Arts and get's in a row with Companies like Bullfrog, Maxis, Origin, Westwood and some more. It is all about cash and income shares for the Shareholders, nothing else matters. So, i have decided for my own that i will not support such ignorant policy again and i have canceled my SWToR-Account too. I do not buy a game of EA and Bioware again, til that Day "Mass Effect 3" will become some real endings, belongs to the choices i have made! My suggestion for you, do the same! Otherwise EA/Bioware do it again and again... Expand
  70. May 28, 2012
    The story is recycled, often repeating the same sub-narratives over and over, the ammo and weapons are largely pathetic, you'll never have a reason to switch weapons. Most of the "Quests" are fetch quests that involve pressing a button near a planet, and then pressing it on the planet again. There's very little choice with dialogue, and most of the time you don't even get a choice it's just auto-dialogue.

It's obvious this game was designed around marketing initiatives and not with the intent of creating a good game.

Not worth $60. Maybe at $20.
  71. May 20, 2012
    made just to get look at the corrupted critics just for the money made just to get look at the corrupted critics just for the money made just to get look at the corrupted critics just for the money made just to get look at the corrupted critics just for the money made just to get look at the corrupted critics just for the money
  72. May 20, 2012
    Suppose I told you a story: Big bad guys invaded the galaxy, alone hero struggled to unite the galaxy in opposition to the baddies. The baddies weakness is discovered. There's a final showdown with the baddies above the hero's home planet. The baddies lose. Suppose I told you this story: Big bad guys invade the galaxy and no one can stop them. But in the darkest hour plans for a super weapon is discovered. Now our heroes must race to complete the weapon, before there's no galaxy left to save.
    The first one's probably a little better, but each is a decent story right?
    Now suppose I told you they were the *same* story. Wait, what?
    And suppose I told you that this story was made by a developer that prides itself on making "Story-based gaming." "Ha!" you'd say "that would be a terrible story. Each story gets to the same conclusion, so putting them together renders half of the story useless."
    "Besides, the stories are really incompatible. The first is more about a single character. The second is more about teams of scientists and engineers and the soldiers who buy them time. In the second the bad guys are unstoppable in the first they're just hard to stop. In the second the galaxy would be throwing everything they had at the enemy, just to slow them down for a bit. In the first, those troops need to be saved for the final battle."

And now you'd realize this isn't hypothetical. Forget what you've heard about the ending. Mass effect 3's story just isn't any good.

(And if you're wondering the half that you *play* is the half that gets rendered useless.)
    Toss in the facts that:
    -31 of the 68 ME3 missions are fetch quests (For comparison ME1 had 5 fetch quests and ME2 had 11)
    -The ending you get depends on how many of these fetch quests you do, though not in any narratively coherent way (you get a better ending the more you do).
    -It is impossible to get the best ending without playing multiplayer (YES, that's right. The ending to a three game single player story depends on whether you want to play multiplayer.)
    -Of the 15 possible surviving squad mates you get no more than 4 back.
    -Most of your decisions in ME1 and 2 are irrelevant, including some of the biggest decisions in the game.
    -Your dialogue options are more limited, often including only a top and bottom choice and Shepard sometimes speaks without you having any control over what he says.
    -None of Cerberus's interactions with Shepard make any sense. What's their endgame? Why do they care if Shepard unites the galaxy?
    And of course,
    -The terrible ending.

To be fair, ME3 did have much better combat than ME1 or 2 and some of the missions (Rannoch and Tuchanka) are among the best in the series, but those two points do not a good game make. Combat's a side issue in Mass Effect and those missions are part of a larger story that utterly fails.
  73. May 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, let me say: this is not about the ending... ... ...oh who the hell am I trying to fool? This is ALL about the ending :) But I will put it in a way that most of the web seems to avoid: like it being something to feel shameful. There is no happy ending. Even picking the "right choices". Even playing for the best. Even spending hours and hours to complete any possible aspect of the game, it is going to end badly. For lots of people (for me of course, I think for many others, and I suspect for a lot of those lamenting for so many rational reasons) it is important to have a chance to make the story "go right". The good wins, the bad sucks, now let's kiss the girl in the sunset and YAY! I can understand all the babbling about "artistic choice" "moral dilemma" "heroic sacrifice" and I can understand that many like them, but I think that after five years, three games and hundreds of hours spent playing, It is hard to chew up, for any of those scorned by the writers choices. This game could have been something epic, making all of the players happy (weel, most of them, let's say); something like the ending of the first Knights of the old republic with a wide variety of possible storylines, After all this is meant as a saga ending: no need for a common point from where to make the story go on. This could have been the "own" ending of every player for how he chose to play the game. Nothing against an indication of that which the authors considered the "true" ending for artistic purposes (or even for a sequel) but respect for any way of playing or feeling the storyline.

Unfortunately, it has proven to be quite the opposite: they unbelievably matched the (harder I think) result to make any kind of player unhappy about what was going on. Nice shot, nothing to say 'bout it ;)

The romantic happy ending lovers like me are angry for seeing all we "fought" for collapsed.

Those interested in gameplay are angry for an anticlimax final fight, with a tedious dramatic walk (which could have been interesting, wouldn't it be so boring...) and... well... no final fight at all...

Those interested in the story are angry for a turnaround of events almost senseless... (uh? the point of the story was the relation between biological being and machines? WAIT, you never mentioned it before... AND We already solved it a minute ago making peace between Geth and Quarians AND... this is Battlestar Galactica's ending too, isn't it a bit redundant?)

I could go on fa a while but it is better to stop here: I enjoied playing the saga, but how it turned out made me feel so that the memory I have when I think of the trilogy is no more "ehy it was fun-tastic"... it is "meh, the poor Shepard, so saaaad". I think my point of view is pretty clear right now:.
    GIMME BACK MY DAMN HAPPY ENDING AND QUIT THIS CRAP ABOUT EVERYTHING, FOR BEING APPEALED "ARTISTIC" NEEDING TO BE AN OCEAN OF TEARS. There is already the real world for that: at least in videogames let me dream that a lone hero who tries hard enough can make things go right :)
  74. May 28, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of the series. I loved this game about 75% of the way through then it completely fell short. It is sad that a good series can be taken and destroyed. Let this be a lesson to companies that changing your writing team for something is not a good thing.
  75. Jun 10, 2012
    Mass Effect was my favorite game series ever. I was a huge fan on Bioware, owning almost all of their games. Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game of all time. I was so excited for the ending to the planned space opera trilogy, and for the most part, it was amazing. Throughout the entire game, I was in awe of the amazing scenes played out. This game was larger than anything before in the series, and you face some of the biggest intergalactic issues, such as the Geth & Quarian war. The gameplay is tighter, the character interaction great, 95% of this game is a masterpiece. Then you reach the infamous ending. This ending ruined everything, this game, and the trilogy as a whole. It is somewhat amazing that in 10 minutes, Bioware is able to destroy a series. When you think Mass Effect, you think player choice and impact. This ending takes that all away, and makes literally every choice you made prior pointless.

Rather than give an ending that made sense, one that was hinted at by the games, they decided to try to transcend the game into an artistic statement. Instead they created plot holes, and divided their fanbase.

Oh well, there's always Uncharted.
  76. Jun 19, 2012
    Mass effect is a game that tries to appease old fans and be a natural starting point for new fans sadly it fails at both new fans will feel overwhelmed by the situations while old fans will feel betrayed by the lack of differences in choices, i will elaborate on both but i would like this time to say the there will be spoilers

spoiler alert

new fans wont understand the gravity of the
    geth quarian conflict and wont feel the much passion when the shepard (the protagonist) talks about the sacrifice of a squad-mate that occurred in the first game, its also a bit overwhelming to be dumped in to this world with a lack of understanding of the different races

older fans will play a much more dumbed down version of the game, as the organization that you may have helped in previous game will be your enemy no matter what you did before, the game is also much more linear then previous games, and your a pigeon-holed in the the ending no matter what happens

if your new to the series, you will still be taken on an emotional roller coaster that you may enjoy and this game should be rated a 6/10

however if your a new fan the ending (at least for me) actually makes the two previous games worse meaning that this game should be given a negative score, as i am a fan of the previous games i will give it the lowest possible score of "0", as im not allowed to give the game a negative 20 for ruining the other two 10/10 games in the series
  77. Jun 28, 2012
    I really love the original game,but magazines and online gaming sites were saying things like" no one like the exploration,no one likes the Mako,no one likes the huge Citadel and elevator" rides,what they should have said is none of the newcomers to mass effect the gears of war and Halo fans like these things,I love them although some needed tweaking,then when ME 2 came along Bioware chose to appease these gamers by streamlining this game by getting rid of the ground vehicle,making the area's much smaller,simplifying everything and changing the combat,which I was more than happy with before,but they kept a good if flawed story,likable characters and mostly good dialogue options(although sadly had some auto dialogue) then comes 3 with Multi-player even less exploration,now you no longer visit the planet in side quests now you fire a probe to the surface and bizarrely you've just rescued a load of people,less dialogue option loads of auto dialogue plot holes galore and a crappy ending which they just put a sticking plaster over,so for me this game rates very poor the worst by far out of the 3 there are many more issues I have with it and I certainly won't be wasting my time playing it again unlike the original and to some aspects ME 2 which I have played 20 odd times each,this game is a very poor attempt by a once great company made to appeal to the mass market and not it's original once loyal fans,for me this franchise is finished,but one day I hope all 3 games are re made as they were meant to be and I don't give a stuff what the Halo or COD fans think. Expand
  78. Jul 3, 2012
    Okay... if you hadn't noticed, playing this game, you'll either love it and be annoyed by the people that hate it or love it and hate the game and be annoyed by the people who love it.

One of the major requirements is the experience of the previous two games which means it's not all that great of a stand alone game. The ending is not for everybody, so even if you did play the previous
    games, there's no guarantee you'll like it. The story is disjointed. There are game aspects that those who played the previous games won't understand because they didn't read the books or they didn't read the comics and even that's not going to mean you're going to like it.

Gameplay is the greatest improvement. There are better games with better controls, but it's obviously the biggest improvement. That said, it lacks gaming systems like minigames, quality side missions and boss battles. It's like it's a game designed by people who wished they were writing a novel instead of making a game.

It's a space RPG with no exploration. It's a bland shooter that doesn't revolutionize anything whose targeting systemyou either like or don't.. It's a "choose your own adventure" with limited choices. It's a space sci fi space opera that fails to live up to the greats.

I was going to give it a 5, then I remembered that you have to download a different ending because the first one was really bad instead of disjointed and contrived. You also have to pay for a downloadable 7th character. To unlock the all the endings, you have to either download the Extended cut or play multiplayer to unlock the endings just on the disc. Some of the plots, you have to play the previous games. They're better, so going back to play another game to play this one seem pointless considering it doesn't matter in terms of resolution. If you do play those games, you end up playing better quality games not restricted by a badly timeline.

Storywise, the resolution is seperate from the rest of the series, which is a shame because the rest of it was pretty darn good. I'd say, save your money. If you haven't played it by now, you'd have a better time playing one of the first 2 games. It'll be in the used game pile soon, anyway.
  79. Aug 26, 2012
    Space gay waifu simulator 2012 edition.
  80. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All the choices you made in previous games, all the heartbreaking decisions, the entire Mass Effect lore got flushed down the drain with this disaster piece. Nothing you did in the trilogy mattered because in the end, it was all a story. Nothing really happened. Bioware not only betrayed their loyal fanbase, they spit in their face. Expand
  81. Jan 2, 2013
    This game is everything Mass Effect wasn't. No exploration, now you slowly scan a planet and hope the game will allow you to land on the thing. Combat difficulty is no longer determined by player skill, but enemies who have infinite ammo, immunity to player attacks and can kill the player in 3 hits regardless of level. The storyline seems contrived... The whole game seems to be about collecting resources and trying to bed down one of your teammates. Virgins will get a kick out of that. FPS fans will enjoy the fact that there are little to no RPG elements that require them to use more than .006% of their brains to play this game. RPG fans will dislike this game's lackluster character development system. Me? I hate this game.

That's right, I used the exact same review from Mass Effect 2. Why? Because if Bioware can't be bothered to improve the game in any way, then I can't be dithered to waste time pretending that I care enough about this abortion to write an all new review.
  82. Jan 22, 2013
    First off, i would like to point out that the ending has been talked about to death. So instead of pointing out how it committed story telling suicide (which it did), i`m going to focus on the rest of the game. 1. The Intro. Seriously, WHY would shepard, the renegade badass (in my playthrough) just sit around WAITING for the reapers to arrive for those few months in between ME3 and arrival? That doesn`t seem very shepard like. And why should i give a sh-- about some random kid?

Verdict: bad writing.

2. Cerberus. So, a rogue terrorist organization goes from having only a hundred and fifty members just a few months ago to being the empire of star wars with almost limitless troops.......

Yeah, sure. tell me another one, casey.

Verdict: bad writing

3. Kai-lang. I have never been so annoyed by an emo prick of a video game character as i was by Kai-lang. As razorfist, my favorite youtube reviewer put it: if for the past decade the illusive man had access to a gravity defying emo space ninja with a katana that slices through mother f---ing planets, and with magic plot device powers that allowed him to track the movement of every sentient being in the galaxy, then why in F--K would he resurrect commander shepard?!

Verdict: bad writing

4. Harbinger. Did harbinger just say screw it and go on a fishing trip when it came time for the invasion? Why was he portrayed as the ultimate badass reaper in ME2 only to be given a rediculous cameo in ME3?

Verdict: bad writing

5. The ''arrival'' of the reapers. Okay, stop me if you`ve heard this one: Why did the reapers cross the void? To get to our galaxy, you gleefully respond. But HOW did they get to our galaxy? That`s right: They couldn`t have. Remember ME1? Remember when we stopped saren from activating the citadel so that the reapers could pour through? Remember the arrival DLC, where we blew up an entire solar system to stop them? So answer me this: if all the posible relays the reapers could have used were destroyed: HOW. IN. FU-- did they get here? Answer: they didn`t. Verdict: laughably bad writing

6. So the quariens go to war whether you pushed them towards it or not in ME2.

And the point of having the option to say: good luck in the war, or: The reapers are coming, i`m going to need every ship i can get was.......?

Verdict: far too heavy an emphasis on the illusion of choice, and not enough emphasis on MEANINGFUL choice.

7. The god d--n kid. I know this has been voiced at least a million times, but i`m going to say it anyway: why should my character, who has seen hundreds of innocent men, women, and children being liquified into a human reaper give even a marginal sh-- about ONE KID? They might as well have had giant flashing letters on my screen that said: FEEL SAD NOW.

Verdict: atrocious writing

And my verdict for the entire game is: Terrible. The most badly written game in the series with the most badly written ending in the history of video game trilogys.

Don`t buy it. Not even if it`s in the bargain bin. EA doesn`t deserve your money or your time.
  83. Mar 7, 2013
    I'm not here to rip on ME3 just for the sake of doing so or because its what's cool to do on the internet like so many others.

Basically ME3 is the worst of the series in every way possible compared to the other 2 games because it doesn't build or improve anything. It simply just tries to hurriedly finish the series for the sake of a cash in on the title.

1- There is no sense of
    exploration. The game as efficiently as possible holds your hand every step the way and has you actually being on the ground doing things the least amount possible. Side missions are carried out by quickly scanning a planet ala ME2 and then firing a probe. That's it. You don't explore, you don't get to check out uncharted worlds simply for the sake of curiosity or anything. Scan, shoot probe, side mission done all without even leaving the galaxy map. This tactic accounts for the majority of side missions. ME1 you could explore the galaxy drive around in that horribly handling buggy and had a sense of discovering things, ME2 you could land on planets and explore doing side missions with some not even firing a single shot like the crashed cruiser balanced on the mountain peak but all of those things are gone in 3. The game just holds your hand and ushers you from mission to mission.

2- You don't get to actually chose anything, everything is pre determined for you. Even if you chose the renegade or paragon path you get the exact same result and no one treats you differently and you get no alternative paths depending on your karma scale which makes it all incredibly pointless and just window dressing for the fact the story is entirely linear and so is your character.

3- The characters are all the same ones, only less compelling. There are a couple new characters but they are highly disposable and not even worth messing with. James for instance is basically just a guy who talks 90% of the time like a generic white guy, 10% of the time he throws out some Mexican phrases like saying "loco" a lot in his generic white guy trying to impersonate a Mexican guy and he looks like he was taken from the show jersey shore. When a old character returns you can see it coming a mile away. For instance you go into a area where the mission briefing talks about geth then you can see 45 minutes before which old character is going to come back. All the characters themselves seem hollow and rushed, they lack the personality that made them endearing in the other games and most are there only long enough to be overly obvious in a very specific mission or they simply show up for 3 minutes of camera time practically winking at the player with a nod and then are gone.

4- The story compared to the others sucks. The other games had side stories, character stories, side missions with their own short stories and so on. ME3 on the other is basically this "Everything is going to be destroyed". That's pretty much it because no matter where you go or what you do its always about the war specifically and nothing else. I also got sick of hearing phrases like "were here to save lives", "were doing this to save lives", "this weapon will save lives", "we need to stick together to save lives", "billions of lives are on the line and were here to save them", etc and after about 8 hours I was sick of hearing about the war and saving lives.

5- The game play was basically just one big shooting gallery and hiding behind chest high walls. Every single fight is basically you hiding behind chest high walls to peak out and fire a few rounds only to hide back behind said wall. It was incredibly boring and has been done to death in dozens of other games. The combat was mindless and mediocre. It felt like they put absolutely no effort into the combat at all and rushed you through it in order to get to the next scene of hearing Sheppard say "saving lives".

6- The ending was atrocious. This is a series that prides itself on story, characters and dialogue. We all spent over 100 bucks playing all 3 games and spent over 100 hours playing all 3 games but bioware seemed to say "This is the end of the trilogy so who cares about the ending". The ending is the most important part of any story of any kind because its the very last thing you leave the person with and its supposed to be a reward, the climax to everything leading up till then, basically the ending is the most important part of any story. But the ending of ME3 was over in just a minute or so despite the dozens of hours of dialogue, cut scenes and story in the rest of the series they got lazy at the end. It gives no satisfaction at all. I can honestly say it is the laziest segment of the series. I did like though they had the balls to do what they did with Sheppard, but the ending still sucks and doesn't make you glad to have finished the series.
  84. Mar 22, 2013
    To start off, I've yet to reach the ending of mass effect 3. I assume I'm getting close, 24 hours in or so. I had an idea a month or so ago to play all three in a row, because I forgot what happened in the first two games. So I replayed through the first, loved it, damn fine game. Replayed the second, also sweet, got a bit bored of the planet scanning after awhile, but besides that highly enjoyed it. And then I started 3. I don't honestly understand how this game got such a high review. The entire system was dumbed down, all mini games removed, almost all exploration removed, no characters to gather, silly dream sequence scenes that always end exactly the same. Canned dialogue, removal of REAL side quests and a new, insanely annoying combat system where every single npc strafes at Mach speed. There's so much wrong with this it's hard for me to find anything fun, new or cool. I have no desire to finish the game, Ashley looks like a man, all of my companions are boring, oh, the one binary puzzle level was sort of neat albeit a tad frustrating. As I said I played each concurrently, the second I finished the first I started the second, same with second to third. My score relies on the fact to me, from my perspective, that this was and is a piss poor representation to an up to this point, awesome franchise, I think it's ea.. Btw, once bio signed with them most of their games just haven't been the same. Expand
  85. Jul 26, 2013
    Casey Hudson ruined Mass Effect. The ending is terrible, but the combat mechanics are simply awful. Tapping a button to get into and out of cover is buggy and more often than not doesn't do what you need it to. The third person camera does a terrible job of maintaining a clear view and often clips into the wall. Mass effect 3 is a perfect example of how EA ruins games. It is no wonder the founders of BioWare quit during the resulting Mass Effect 3 outrage from the players. It is silly really a game marketed as allowing you to tell your own story was ruined because an egotistical (seriously, go look at his web page), childish Casey Hudson wanted to end the story his way denying players what they loved about the game. Like a petulant child, Casey Hudson locked out the other writers to make his own ending and as an EA employee put it, "it shows". Couldn't agree more. Way to alienate a core fan base, tarnish what was a successful IP, and further prove to players why EA cannot be trusted. Even the extended DLC content doesn't fix the plot holes in the ending. It is simply a few more lame slides, that don't really improve anything. Expand
  86. Jul 26, 2013
  87. Feb 6, 2013
    Linear, boring, repetitive and overly scripted missions, no dialogue options, worst reputation system ever, no challenge whatsoever (even on the highest difficulty), multiplayer maps as single-player missions, no side-quests, no bosses, and worst plot ever.
  88. Mar 29, 2012
    ME3 is the sad end of a great series. And I don't mean the now-infamous ending of the final Mass Effect game. I mean a series of games from Baldur's Gate, to KotOR, to the first two installments of the Mass Effect trilogy.. I mean the end of BioWare's run as the pre-eminent storyteller in electronic gaming. Many Metacritic users have written fantastic ME3 negative reviews, so I'm not going to elaborate on those. I recommend traveler's review dated March 29, 2012; it's one of the best examples I've seen. My bottom line: ME3 was destroyed by a Reaper--not Harbinger, but Whoremonger. Whoremonger, who has no passion for story or character. I mean Whoremonger the Money Whore. Expand
  89. Apr 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So BioWare has decided to show us yet another big fat middle finger, aye? You know, when Dragon Age 2 came, sure it was an atrocity RPG wise especially after a great revive to its genre in form of DA1, I still enjoyed it somewhat, at the very least it didn't kill the franchise. But Mass Effect 3? I'm gonna need some time and space here to successfully describe the depth and seriousness of my emotional distress caused by ME3. In the beginning, there was ME, new well written sci-fi RPG that we had craved for so long, the game offered us freedom of choice to some degree and to this day it's kept its value and replayability. Then came ME2 which to me was even better news because I kinda liked a bit more action paced style we were given while at the same time we also got the same freedom of choice (oh there could have been SO MANY dead characters at the end if you wanted...). The classes were more distinguished and more original in the way they played and even the side-quests on various planets were rather refreshing and not as repetitive as they were in ME1. Safe to say, I've played and finished both ME and ME2 quite a few times (ME twice and ME2 5 or 6 times actually) and I certainly loved the series. I anticipated ME3 fiercely like any other real fan of the franchise. I pre-ordered collector's edition of course so From Ashes wasn't an issue for me, I played through the game and there it was... all that love I had for the previous games, for the franchise... was gone. 90%... neigh 95% of the game is great, amazing even. All the plots tie up nicely and I enjoy most of the characters (although the newcomers aren't anything special and I'm terribly pissed I didn't get to spend the last game with Miranda...) but then it all gets thrown out the proverbial window... What does it matter that I not only saved most of Quarian race AND Tali AND convinced them to coexist with the Geth!! when at the end it doesn't have any impact at all? Giving us three identical sterile endings and marooning everyone in the galaxy at Earth's doorstep is not only an illogical ending, but the worst step that BioWare has ever made in their history of designing games. Pathetic attempts of Ray Muzyka to "defend" this excuse of a proper ending to the series are laughable and heretical at that. So, guys, you gave us the middle finger, now it's our turn. Thank you for ruining what could have very well been the three best consequent RPG titles ever made. Seeing as you gave us no choice in the end, I don't think I have any choice now with the rating either. Expand
  90. May 27, 2014
    This game RUINED 3 games, time invested into the choices of my characters, my xbox 360 and entire videogame console experience. I will for now stick to playing MMO's.
  91. Dec 3, 2012
    The first 95% of the game is good, and the last 5% is so atrociously bad and out of character for the series that it will have you going "WTF was that crap?" for months after you finish playing - if the reason you've played Mass Effect has anything to do with its story or characters, that is.

The only element up to par with ME2 is the combat, which has been further streamlined and
    polished. The sidequest system is a step back from ME2 - you just wander around until you overhear somebody give you a mission. The quest log/journal system is as poor as ever, and planet scanning is still a lousy mechanic. Strangely, there are also fewer and less interesting characters to interact with or have in your party than there were in ME2.

Also, the plot is formulaic and boring. The plot overall is basically just a rehash of what Bioware already did in Dragon Age: Origins, and the overall mission/character structure is monotonously identical to previous ME games (if you pick a romantic interest - even if it's an old one that you ALREADY had a relationship with - you can't really do anything except get a PG sex scene right before the final mission).

And oh dear God the ending. Wow. It's bad enough that I'm giving this game a LEGIT 0/10. This is NOT a troll score. The ending quite literally RUINED the entire series for me - I doubt I'll ever play a ME game again, and this is coming from someone who has played at least 6-8 times to completion on ME1 and ME2. I don't want to go into extended detail about why the ending is so awful, so here's the abbreviated version (not a comprehensive list):
    - It's a Deus Ex Machina ending of the worst kind
    - It basically has nothing to do with your actions earlier in the game or earlier in the trilogy
    - It radically alters the entire framework of the narrative within a span of about 30 seconds, without any apparent reason to do so or any explanation
    - In a series about relationships with characters and a grand story where your choices matter, the climactic ending to the entire series has basically nothing to do with character relationships or your previous choices AND the final choice you are given is not explained and seemingly inconsequential.

It's not hyperbole to say that the climactic ending to this series is simply you being asked the question "Do you like Red, Green, or Blue better?"

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Yes, it's Bioware's artistic right to make an awful ending. But the fact that Bioware made it and calls it "art" doesn't mean it is good. It's not. It's as far away from good storytelling and writing as you can get. It's just nonsensical.

Without the ending, this game is probably an 8/10. With the ending, it's utter trash that spoils a great 3-game story arc for no reason.
  92. Jul 2, 2013
    I have to say, the first 95% of the game, leading right up to the very last 15min or so, was excellent. Gameplay was improved, and I actually enjoyed the war asset strategy much as I had enjoyed the overall structure of Mass Effect 2. And this is why it is so astonishing how the final sequence is all it takes to make this very good game into a very bad one. All the excitement that had been building up over the course of the game, and also it's two predecessors, is extinguished immediately and in the worst way, leaving you with the inescapable feeling of being ripped off. The worst part is that there is absolutely no closure to any aspect of the story. The ending didn't just ruin Mass Effect 3, it ruined the entire series. For this, I can not justify any other score. Expand
  93. Mar 26, 2012
    Well, game is not that good like ME1 and ME2 was (even worst as a ''RPG'' game), and that... ending, haha BioWare is gettin' even better after DA2 ;-)

Just rent it :-/
  94. May 20, 2012
    This game was a huge disappointment. The combat was boring, the story was terrible, and the ending essentially ruined the previous two games for me. Mass effect 2 was dumbed down from ME1, but it was still a pretty good game. This one takes it ten steps further. "Action mode" says it all. The graphics are worse as well, many of the landscapes look blocky, the water looks awful...the list goes on. I don't know what happened, if some of the better writers left between games, but the story in this one is cringe-worthy at every turn with few exceptions. I'd have rather this game had not even came out, which is saying a lot since I'd been looking forward to this conclusion of commander Shepard's story for the past 5 years or so. Don't buy this game. Expand
  95. Mar 20, 2012
    I just watched what was a phenomenal, even cinematic franchise commit inexcusable storytelling suicide. It's not that the ending is depressing or even bittersweet, as PR would have it spun; The ending makes zero sense - it flies in the face of it's own canon and creates numerous plot holes in the last ten minutes alone. To top it all off, the defining element of Mass Effect, choice, is stripped away from you. No choice you agonized over has any consequence.
    If you're a fan of the series and absolutely cannot bring yourself to wait to play this, do yourself a favor and either rent ME3, or purchase a used copy at your local Gamestop and return it before seven days are up to get your money back. I admit it can be a relatively fun game, up to a point, but you will regret paying full retail price for this disaster.
  96. Aug 1, 2013
    The ending was terrible. Even more frustrating was the companies response and lack of care. I could go on and on about the lackluster ending and the fact that even with the Extended Cut it doesn't do your character justice. He has defied the odds only to die. Another Trinity type character. They kill Shepard off, bring him back, just to kill him off again.

BioWare says they're
    listening... As long as its what they want to hear. Expand
  97. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game that I was most excited for this year but unfortunately there is a lot of elements that ruins the experience, the game seems to be struggling with a identity crisis is it an rpg or a third person shooter with rpg elements ? The first problem with this game is for those who played the first two games and try to import their characters from the previous games at the time of writing this review an issue prevents the game from importing the appearance of your character every other things are imported like who you saved in me 1 and 2 these decisions have and impact depending on who you saved and some decisions you made earlier games have small impact.

They seem to have focused more on combat and while the combat is fluid and have the gears of war cover system they seem to have forgotten some of the rpg elements. The quest system is really strange every main quest is tracked and easily managed but the secondary quests have no tracking and require you too search around blind, and if you complete one part of the objective you will have to return deliver and then search for the person/alien to deliver said item to.

Customization is also limited the only armor you can take of your helmet is the N7 armor which is the default armor you begin with.

Weapons are probably the the things that you can customize the most by upgrading barrels magazines etc etc.

That being said most people play this for the story and it´s pretty good up to a certain point, you will reunite with many familiar faces that will help you against the reapers.
    Lot´s of great dialog that makes the characters that we all know and love come to life.

But I can´t neglect to mention what everyone is talking about the endings.
    The game does an incredible job of moving story forward but in the last five minutes the story suddenly takes a strange turn and falls flat, there is not any real choice in the matter there are six endings almost identical. In these last few minutes the game introduces a character that was never in the game earlier and this character is well on his way now on becoming a meme on the web the Jar Jar of video games if you will.

And the endings is so out of touch with the rest of the story in the game that it actually makes every choices you made in the earlier games seem irrelevant, this is the game biggest weakness and it destroys any replay value since I personally did not feel that I wanted play again because the ending was just too depressing. The plot simply stops making sense the last five minutes and this should not ruin the experience over what is a pretty good game, it should not but it does because it makes the entire journey seem pointless.
    The endings sequence basically tells you that none of your decisions really matter and you have to choose between option a, b or c and they are with minor differences almost identical endings with different colored explosions (reloaded and tried every option) and you just feel empty after the end which is to say the least not what I expected
    It´s incredible how gutted I felt after that ending I had to take a break from gaming entirely and finally could start reviewing other games after a few days.

And the sad thing is that 99,9% of this game is good the 0.1% really ruins what is over all a great experience.
  98. Mar 20, 2012
    This game obviously doesn't deserve a 0 or 1 rating, but to say that the ending was extremely disappointing is an understatement. At the game's end, I felt like I didn't really have a choice at all, despite what was advertised by Bioware and what consistently occurred throughout all three of the titles in the series. I think it's apparent that they are eventually going to make an alternate ending with more choices, as they are going to lose a ton of money in DLC if they don't. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this was their plan all along, to get more people to buy a better ending as DLC. If the DLC costs anything, I'm done with Bioware, but a free DLC alternate ending with some actual choices will let me forgive them because, besides the ending, this is a good game. Expand
  99. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a huge fan of the series; it was and is a fun, largely open, mostly RPG game that let you watch characters evolve in a galactic landscape over several fun, exploratory adventures. For me at least, part of the fun was the replayability. As you made different decisions, the ending of the game subtly changed; mostly to the point of how easy or difficult the ending was.

This game, though, failed to meet the hype associated with it. Mass Effect 2 set up the promise of Mass Effect 3. In ME2, the characters that survived (both main party and secondary) had everything to do with the amount of effort you put into the game. That sets up the promise of ME3, to do the same but on a larger scale. Unfortunately, by the time you get to the end, you end up with a game that's closer to the linear Mass Effect 1 ending. Your decisions, in the last ten minutes, don't really have much effect on the outcome. Even the animations for the ending are identical (except for the color). Now, this wouldn't be a big deal, except that the promise/premise of the entire series has been creating your own moment at the end. Having said all that, though, the ending itself (even having similar ones) isn't that big of a deal. What is a big deal are all the strange inconsistencies in the last part of the game. Squad members who die (or were implied to die) suddenly reappear. Your ship, engaged in battle one moment, is suddenly running from a destructive beam that strands it on a strange planet. The lead character suddenly loses their will to argue, without making note of it, in the last few minutes. I was willing to forgive the glitches in the game. The unfinished, sometimes reused sprites. The overuse of stock photos. The lack of depth in the game. The problems with importing custom lead characters; if you had a custom face for the character, it will likely break when you try to import it.

I think this game is made mostly for people looking not for an epic RPG, but maybe more of a simple version of Halo style space combat. If that's what you want, just to shoot things in space, then this is probably a good title. You can ignore the story, play multiplayer, and marvel at the backgrounds.

If, however, you're looking for a satisfying story-based RPG, then this game isn't it. Not really.

Which leaves me, a former fan, feeling kind of, "meh," about the whole experience. That's probably on purpose; EA loves third person shooters. They're much easier to develop and work on than expansive, multi title RPGs, I'd wager.

SPOILER - look for yourself. The animations are the same

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.