5.7

1. Mar 29, 2012
    Let me preface this by saying that I was a long time fan of the series and of Bioware games in general; I played both ME1 and ME2 dozens of times over the years (no exaggeration!), and KOTOR until my eyes bled (ok, slight exaggeration; but not by much). So it really does pain me to give this game such a low score.

The short of it is: the game is rushed and incomplete. Corners were

The short of it is: the game is rushed and incomplete. Corners were obviously cut all about, and it shows. Most notably in the classical RPG elements of story and exploration.

The long of it: in ME3 what you see is that Bioware/EA are quite obviously trying to appeal to the massive consumer base that loves shooter games. Great (and in a sense so was ME1). But the results are that a great deal of time seemed to have been spent copying shooter elements from other games, in an effort to create a fairly mediocre corridor shooter experience, with wonky controls. The glaring thing is what is gone with all this effort. Exploration. Astounding that a game that markets itself as as RPG has so little of it. There are limited hubs, much smaller than those in the previous installments, that provide little interaction for engaging with the world. NPC interaction is either highly scripted, as in, no the player doesn't choose what to say; or it just is a matter of eavesdropping on two people talking in order to get a quest that actually doesn't contain any gaming elements other than go here on the map and press a button. Old RPG standards like equipment and journal logs are streamlined to the point of being non-existent (the journal in particular is totally inept and incomplete; it doesn't update or provide you useful information on the quests - a real step down from the previous games).

Why? Well, because the game appears to be trying to force you into a linear narrative. In other words, the whole 'choose your own adventure' motif of the brand has taken a backseat for brief corridor shooting experiences punctuated by lengthy cut scenes with limited interaction. Think Gears of War, only worse (and that is saying something!). The plan to do this is so blatant that the game actually has options to switch it from an RPG to a straight story-shooter, right there on its opening screen.

What is most glaring in this rushed and incomplete experience is the real drop in story telling. Now it is no secret that Bioware was purchased by EA, and that some fans were concerned about how that would effect the culture of the company. But it also is no secret that the people writing this game are not the same ones who wrote the first. And it shows. Lore is forgotten, conversations seem forced, character development can be childish, etc. Its like they inherited a world to write and imagine in that they either didn't understand, or didn't care about. I'm not sure which is worse.

And don't get me started on that ending....

OK, DO get me started on that ending. It's here that the evidence of how quickly and with such little care the game was cobbled together is most glaring. Some people have complained that the ending lacks choice (true), and closure (also true), or is confusing (not so much; somebody apparently copied Deus Ex). But the most repugnant aspects of the ending are just how lazy it is. Reused cut scenes, short, simplified conversation options. The whole thing smacks of 'rush it out the door, we have a deadline!' And back to the writers not being the same crop or the same caliber, the ending also doesn't seem to be connected with the rest of the series either in ideas or themes. You remember 'dark energy'? You know, the raison d'etre for Tali's presence on Haestrom, as well as mentioned at other parts of ME2 (like Illium). There was this whole big setup for 'dark energy' throughout ME2, it was foreshadowed as being of some galactic importance. And in ME3. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. The storyline was just abandoned and forgotten. Oops. No dark energy concerns here. This smacks of just lazy writing, and inept plotting.

(Rumor has it that this was originally to be a part of the buildup for the conclusion - a connection between the middle act of the trilogy and its finale. But was abandoned for.... who knows. Instead you get a series of rushed deus ex machina developments. And then, over.)

It pains me as a longtime fan and customer of bioware to see how little regard they have for quality here. That was the brand really, immersive RPGs with engaging, high adventure stories. That apparently is not the brand anymore. I don't know what is.

Finally, I think I should point out the discrepancy between the 'professional critics' and 'user reviews' here and elsewhere. This is amazing. The reasons for the discrepancy are unclear, but I think the ramifications are going to be long reaching. The central question (for me at least) is one of trust: Is there any spirit of consumer protection left in software review or is it just caveat emptor, and have a nice day?
  2. Mar 29, 2012
    Best game I've ever played. People are just trolling cause most people are dumb and things easily go over their heads. People who honestly give this game zero don't know even know what a zero is anymore. The game would literally have to be unplayable. Five minutes doesn't ruin an entire experience. These people think they're entitled to whatever they want. It's not their game. The didn'tBest game I've ever played. People are just trolling cause most people are dumb and things easily go over their heads. People who honestly give this game zero don't know even know what a zero is anymore. The game would literally have to be unplayable. Five minutes doesn't ruin an entire experience. These people think they're entitled to whatever they want. It's not their game. The didn't make it. So screw em. I seriously hope Bioware doesn't sell out their artistic integrity to please a highly vocal minority. The whole series a masterpiece. Expand
  3. Mar 29, 2012
    I've really enjoyed this game. The graphics look great. I was able to import my save files from ME1 and 2. The combat is upgraded, and feels even smoother than in the second. The ending, which most people have a problem with, I actually really liked. I felt like as the game moved along, loose ends were being tied together while the plot still advanced, and characters met their end (orI've really enjoyed this game. The graphics look great. I was able to import my save files from ME1 and 2. The combat is upgraded, and feels even smoother than in the second. The ending, which most people have a problem with, I actually really liked. I felt like as the game moved along, loose ends were being tied together while the plot still advanced, and characters met their end (or not!) based purely on my actions. Honestly, my main complaint is being forced to run around with my gun out nearly the entire time, and some occasional issues during combat when I was unable to take cover for some unknown reason. Overall, I'll give this game a 9/10, for a few technical bugs, but an overwhelmingly intriguing plot, and a high replay value. Thanks for reading! Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Mass Effect series is really the only thing that has kept me playing video games for the past three or four years. I'm a massive fan and have come to care deeply about the universe, the characters, and the story I have shaped through Shepard. For these reasons, it was a crushing disappointment for the game to end the way it did. Unlike many people, I don't begrudge Bioware the limited NUMBER of endings. I felt that it was a game FULL of endings. Regardless, though, the endings are just painful to witness for fans of the series. In a mere five minute stretch, the end manages to fly in the face of countless bits of established lore. More agonizing is the fact that the endings fail to answer virtually all the important questions we may have had and, worse, actually prompt us to ask countless new ones. These are not profound questions about life and the universe, nor questions that force us to thoughtfully interpret and reflect (a la The Road). No, they are questions like "Where the **** was Joker going? How did he pick up my squadmates? Why aren't they charred to a crisp like everyone else? Where did Anderson come from? Why would my effective military strength change my choices on the Crucible? How did Shepard survive atmospheric re-entry in the "best" ending? Did he make it to the Crucible at all? WHO THE **** IS THAT STAR-KID? WHERE DID HE COME FROM? WHY IS HE BEING INTRODUCED IN THE LAST 3 MINUTES OF THE ENTIRE SERIES?" Those kinds of questions are not indicative of a deep, thought-provoking ending. They're indicative of bad storytelling. After the standard Bioware set over the first two games, how they could crash and burn so badly at the most vital moment is just perplexing.

What makes it even more perplexing is that the game is MASTERFULLY constructed up to the last few minutes. I enjoyed the game immensely through my entire 30+ hours. From Thessia on, I was so enthralled that I played 8 hours straight to the end. The combat flows immensely better even than in ME2 (the new style of gun sounds is AWESOME), the Ashley romance was well-done (wasn't a big fan of Liara's, so I restarted), and the choices you make carry the weight of your entire time in the Mass Effect Universe. The graphics are good, not amazing, though they are however markedly improved in characters' faces, facial expressions, and body language. Though there are few new interesting characters, I think this is appropriate to the final chapter of a saga. Vega is a pretty standard soldier type, but we get a very interesting EDI-Joker progression, and satisfying (if very sad) conclusions to a number of other characters' sub-plots. Unfortunately, this last point in ME3's favor is more or less negated by the ending --- the fate of everyone and everything seems once again up in the air.

I waited three weeks to write this review so that I could make an objective observation: Despite the incredibly disappointing ending, the game was excellent. It really, really was. As angry, confused, and physically ill as I felt after finishing Mass Effect 3, it is still a testament to the quality of the game and the franchise that it was able to make me feel ANYTHING as strongly as I did. While I understand this intellectually, however, the game has lost a lot of its emotional value to me going forward. I don't see the point in picking up Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 again until Bioware addresses the problems with the ending (whenever that eventually happens). Until then, I will set Mass Effect aside. I can only hope that Bioware can use its second chance to give this saga an ending worthy of the journey we all took to get there.
  5. fmb
    Mar 29, 2012
    I think the game has moments of greatness, but overall, I feel like it is sloppy, incomplete, and worst of all, uninspired. The lack of legitimate side quests (only six N7 missions, all with very little variety in tone, plot, and scenery), the complete removal of any form of exploration, the thinness of dialogue options and prevalence of auto dialogue, the lack of conversation withI think the game has moments of greatness, but overall, I feel like it is sloppy, incomplete, and worst of all, uninspired. The lack of legitimate side quests (only six N7 missions, all with very little variety in tone, plot, and scenery), the complete removal of any form of exploration, the thinness of dialogue options and prevalence of auto dialogue, the lack of conversation with companions, the limited use of ME2 squadmates, the fetch quest system ala Dragon Age 2, and the incoherent and lackluster ending all make this a frustrating and disappointing game. I expected Mass Effect to go out with a bang, but instead I feel like it just stumbled to an unsatisfying conclusion. It could have been a lot more than it was. Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2012
    Don't let people's impressions of the last 5 minutes of this game put you off of what is probably the best entry in one of the greatest series of video games ever created. Seriously, the entire game is the ending to a trilogy, and the fact that the last 5 minutes weren't great does not diminish the rest of the game or series in any way. And really, if you look around, that's all people areDon't let people's impressions of the last 5 minutes of this game put you off of what is probably the best entry in one of the greatest series of video games ever created. Seriously, the entire game is the ending to a trilogy, and the fact that the last 5 minutes weren't great does not diminish the rest of the game or series in any way. And really, if you look around, that's all people are complaining about is that last 5-10 minutes. Even if you hated those last moments, to say that those final minutes completely ruin either the game or the entire series is just ludicrous. If you skip it because of that, you're missing out. Only thing I would say is that as the end of a trilogy I would not recommend this game unless you've played at least the 2nd one if not both. Expand
  7. Mar 30, 2012
    Yeah, I really liked the game, had a few bugs, a few bumps along the ride, but the end....man...the ending is bad on an entirely new dimension.
    Why is it enough to give the hole game this low rating?...because not only this ending is completely unlogical and senseless, it completely destroys everything the series has accomplished since ME1, every squad member in the end gets his personality destroyed, their loyalties obliterated.
    Every little piece of gameplay, every little dialogue, every emotional moment along the hole franchise, got destroyed in less than 20 minutes of non playing gameplay :S
  8. Mar 30, 2012
    I think people are going overboard with the ending. I know it sucks but it doesn't mean you have to completely slaughter the entire game. Apart from the ending, the game was one of the best games I've ever played. They got the mechanics right, graphics look crisp and the storytelling at its best. The game does need a lot more closure though.
  9. Mar 30, 2012
    Absolute perfection. Until the last 5 minutes, this game surpasses everything that its predecessors were, and then some. The ending is a downer (and not in a good way), but that doesn't tke away from the appeal of the game or the series.

10/10, would bang.
  10. Mar 31, 2012
    Here is a re-post from the site, http://jmstevenson.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/all-that-matters-is-the-ending-part-2-mass-effect-3/, of what I think was the most glaring problem with the ending. He provides an excellent analogy without actually spoiling the ending.
    Imagine Frodo, dangling the One Ring, over the fiery chasm of Mt. Doom. He turns, and says,
  11. Mar 31, 2012
    ***POTENTIAL SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO HEAR ABOUT THE BACKLASH OR EXPERIENCE THE GAME FOR YOURSELF*** Although ME3 is in fact imperfect, it's still a worthy addition to the series. The gameplay, visuals, soundtrack, etc. are all top notch. Bioware didn't deviate much from ME2, but they sure did put on an excellent display for the fans. I think the majority of people that***POTENTIAL SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD THE CHANCE TO HEAR ABOUT THE BACKLASH OR EXPERIENCE THE GAME FOR YOURSELF*** Although ME3 is in fact imperfect, it's still a worthy addition to the series. The gameplay, visuals, soundtrack, etc. are all top notch. Bioware didn't deviate much from ME2, but they sure did put on an excellent display for the fans. I think the majority of people that have issues with the ending are just not getting the big picture. "Disowning" Bioware... one of the funniest things I've seen or heard in my entire life. Nonsense. Move on! It's a video game, a form of leisure time activity, entertainment, a form of art, it's not a law or a living thing or a crisis. If I had a dollar for every time I was "disappointed" about a form of entertainment and I carried on the way the "cause" did, I'd be filthy rich. This isn't the first time people were disappointed and it certainly won't be the last. All you have to do is abstain from gaming and we'll all be better off. Why don't you go design a better series (with stellar ending) and I will be the first to line up and purchase it. If not, then go back to your home on W__re Island! (Uh oh, I left some blanks, I better not leave anything open to interpretation or I will be forced by thousands of infants to alter my statement!) Seems as though the people that didn't get the "ending" have been owned SO HARD by Bioware and could very well be one of the best moments in gaming history. The way this game ends makes the series that much better for me! Even if you dislike the ending, it's still a damn good game! This game is excellent for anyone that has enjoyed the series. It's not much of a departure from ME2 but if you liked that one then I am sure you will enjoy ME3. I can't wait to see what they had planned all along! Great job EA/ Bioware! Thanks for 4 plus years of Shepard. I've never experienced a gaming series anything like it! Expand
  12. Apr 1, 2012
    There should be an audit for the critic reviews for Mass Effect 3. There is no way that you can finish this game and still give a review of 10 out of 10. I don't think majority of the 1st day reviewers for Mass Effect 3 finished the game. The game is about 9 or 10 out of 10, but in the last 10 mins, the entire trilogy become unraveled. I would give this game a 3 or 4.
  13. Apr 1, 2012
    This game was a major disappointment. The game itself was actually pretty good, up until the last twenty minutes or so. But the ending was so horrible that it honestly ruins the entire series. Most would say it was the journey, not the ending that makes this game amazing. But using that logic would mean that the Titanic survivors shouldn't have anything to complain about. It was theThis game was a major disappointment. The game itself was actually pretty good, up until the last twenty minutes or so. But the ending was so horrible that it honestly ruins the entire series. Most would say it was the journey, not the ending that makes this game amazing. But using that logic would mean that the Titanic survivors shouldn't have anything to complain about. It was the journey they should remember, not the ending where the unsinkable ship sank in the cold dark depths of the ocean. This game is a rental at best, if you are a fan of the series don't even bother playing it. Expand
  14. Apr 2, 2012
    Great ending, Bioware. Stunning. I dont understand how people can say all three are the same: back-to-zero cave dwelling; self-destroying power-grab; or peaceable melding of flesh and machine â
  15. Apr 2, 2012
    The third game totally betrayed the sense of Discovery, that the 1st on had, and even the second one. i have to echo what has been said here, the animation was AWFUL, and embarrassing for a company of this caliber to release as finished work.
  16. Apr 2, 2012
    This game combines the great elements of 1 and 2 wonderfully. Decisions have tremendous weight and I never realized how much these characters meant to me until this game. The scores on here are an absolute joke. I can't think of many video game experiences me or anyone I know in real life has enjoyed more.
  17. Apr 3, 2012
    Get it straight, Mass Effect 3 is mainstream. It's not going to have meticulous weapon and armor switching, it's not going to have open unstructured environments, it's going to be heavy-handed and blunt at times, It's depiction of relationships is blunt to put it kindly. It's going for mass appeal. ME3 is built to be accessible and fun. You'll be killing enemies in style until theGet it straight, Mass Effect 3 is mainstream. It's not going to have meticulous weapon and armor switching, it's not going to have open unstructured environments, it's going to be heavy-handed and blunt at times, It's depiction of relationships is blunt to put it kindly. It's going for mass appeal. ME3 is built to be accessible and fun. You'll be killing enemies in style until the ridiculous upswing in difficulty for the final few waves of enemies. All the characters play it a little too straight and the narrative isn't quite as enrapturing as ME2, but this is made up for by your ability to influence the game-world. The effects of your choices from past games are a little underwhelming, but the pay-offs for plot points from the past games like the genophage and the quarian geth conflicts are excellent. While the missions have never been more linear some of the areas, particularly those levels that take place during reaper attacks or the the climax on tuchanka are breathtakingly large in scope. There's a futility to what you are trying to do throughout and this is reinforced by these scenes of chaos and destruction. Mass Effect 3 is to the point, with smartly designed levels (i don't think i ever came close to getting lost) and refined cover based shooting, as always powers are way cooler (if you want to have fun play vanguard). The combat has never been better, although easy, it's never unwelcome. The stories are meaningful, the characters feel real. the games never played better. It's not going to be the complex rpg shooter bioware once promised (the way they makes games has changed a lot since KOTOR), but it is a different take on cover based shooters that for me is way more fun than gears of war.
    The ending is the most important ending of a video game, ever. i've never cared about the end of a game this much. Even though it's a bit of a Sopranos ending, it's gotten a similar media swell to that ending and they do say that any press is good press. I don't really think it's good to end your story with something so controversial it creates an uproar from your most loyal fans but even if you hate the ending you have to admit no other ending would have brought this kind of attention. I've been obsessed enough with the ending that I wrote this entire review, full of important points, as fast as I possibly could so I could talk about the ending. I've never been so consumed by the ending of a game. Bioware are either idiots, or the most despicable geniuses in the history of video games. Either they see a thematic reason to make the end of their final game contradict everything the series has ever been about, or they're geniuses who came up with the greatest twist ending of a video game and challenged the idea of what games could achieve as an art form. of course if they are geniuses and the games final message to the player, which promises future content, was the first step of their diabolical plan they have destroyed video games claim to status as an art form by excluding the true ending of the series in an attempt to make more money by selling it as DLC. Even if they decide to give it away it will only prove that they felt for remorse for what was going to be the most mind-bending thing to happen in a videogame. So evil geniuses or idiots, either way, it's a game you have to play.
  18. Apr 4, 2012
    Just started playing at the weekend , 1st time playing ME games, truly amazing. This must be the future of entertainment. Anyone who gives this game less than 8 has ISSUES, irrespective of the ending . its all about the journey my friends. Enjoy
  19. Apr 4, 2012
    As a big Mass Effect fan, this game was a must have for me. I loved every minute of each game. The action in this part has improved over the second one, the graphics look better and the story is still top notch. While playing the game, i noticed my options (choices) were less than the other parts, but I didn't find it to be a big problem. The thirty or so hours were great, until I got tilAs a big Mass Effect fan, this game was a must have for me. I loved every minute of each game. The action in this part has improved over the second one, the graphics look better and the story is still top notch. While playing the game, i noticed my options (choices) were less than the other parts, but I didn't find it to be a big problem. The thirty or so hours were great, until I got til the ending...

Sadly but true, the series took a dive I couldn't have seen coming. The ending felt unfinished, non sensical and just plain out of place. Normally, I replay the Mass Effect series multiple times. I haven't felt like playing this one any more. The ending truly was the downfall for the series.
  20. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had purchased Mass Effect 1 and 2 in addition to all the DLCs because the games were very good. The first one focused on the ME universe while the second focused more on your squad. They each had teething problems, but they were well done.

ME3 had some great scenes such as the Genophage issue between the Krogan and the Salarians as well as the Geth and Qurian conflict, however, after that it seemed to fall apart. It was if two different writing teams were involved. Bioware was pushing this whole idea about take back Earth, instead it was just a straight run with waves of enemies. If you felt you were going to make the tough decisions such as the ME2 sUicide mission, it doesnt even come close. You would think that all the decisions made previously, the major conflict resolution such as the Geth and krogans and the war assets would make an impact at the end. Nope, nothing they are counted as war assets which remain at 50% unless you play the coop multiplayer. They are counted as points and you don't see anything of them, except for the Krogan at the end for a brief cameo. Of course, don't get me started about the ending which Bioware lied about, essentially saying the end will be different and we won't give you a choice A,b or C, when in fact they do, instead they are red, green and blue.

I could go on, but I am sure by now, you will see the gist of it. I canal understand people who say they played the entire game including the ending, they cannot say that it was rushed or just a complete mess.
  21. Apr 4, 2012
    This game was amazing.....till the end. I felt hallow and sick because of this ending. I'm going to pretend it never happened. No choice, major plotholes and no closure.
  22. Apr 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i was so upset by the ending that i moved the cover behind all my other games so i couldint see it.....
    and even if the indoctranation theory is correct that means my mass effect universe is screwed because i would of chosen the controll or synthesis endings NOT the destroy ending
  23. Apr 6, 2012
    RIP Bioware. I mean.. EAWare.. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE
  24. Apr 6, 2012
    Despite the general critical acclaim, I thought this was a terribly disappointing game. I loved the first two Mass Effect games - the second one is an absolute masterpiece - and it's baffling how Bioware - who got everything so right in Mass Effect 2 - could get so many things wrong in this final part of the series. The focus is on combat - and other aspects of the game have suffered.Despite the general critical acclaim, I thought this was a terribly disappointing game. I loved the first two Mass Effect games - the second one is an absolute masterpiece - and it's baffling how Bioware - who got everything so right in Mass Effect 2 - could get so many things wrong in this final part of the series. The focus is on combat - and other aspects of the game have suffered. Gone is the feeling of freedom and expansiveness of having a whole galaxy to explore - aside from main quest missions, there are no planets on which you can land, no hidden adventures to discover. And too many of the main quest missions felt unremarkable to me, indistinguishable from each other, and at times it was hard to care about what was going on. The way that side missions have been implemented in the game feels very unsatisfactory and doesn't feel fully realised at all. Don't even get me started on the way the journal works - or doesn't work; it's virtually impossible to stay on top of what you need to do, or where you need to go to do it. Item management is also a nightmare: you need to buy weapons in the game, but you're buying them in the dark, because the game offers nothing as useful as being able to compare what's on sale with the weapons your squad already has. Item management, quest management, the way that side missions work, all felt poorly realised to me. There are no new characters - oh no, sorry, there's one: a hulking space marine whose name I've forgotten he's so unremarkable. He's like a cast-off from Gears of War, dull as dishwater, as out of place in a Mass Effect game as Jack Bauer would be in an episode of The Wire. It's not all bad - the game does throw up some memorable moments, and it looks stunning - the graphics and lighting effects are excellent. But there are not enough memorable moments, and too much of the game feels like a betrayal of all that has gone before it. Mass Effect 3 feels like a game trying to be all things to all people, and ending up as a bit of a dog's breakfast. If I'm being honest, this game broke my heart. And I haven't even mentioned the ending... Expand
  25. Apr 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is severely underrated because of its ending, everything else rocks. Sound design is flawless, graphics are pretty and solid, gameplay is fun and fast paced and the story rocks. The ending isn't actually that bad the reason i dislike it is because it is not up to the rest of the game's excellent standard.
  26. Apr 7, 2012
    OK- had to review this, just finished the game, and then looked at all of the bad reviews, had to throw in my 2 cents.

This game is not a 0 or a 1 - not a 10, but a very good game. I suspect everyone giving it a 0 or 1 mostly hated losing a loved character that they invested so much time in and the ENDING. To me, the game felt similar to ME2, but more dramatic and BIG - I was blown away with some of the impact this game had. I really enjoyed it. I can understand how people did not like the ending, but this was a story arc that was planned from the beginning, and I can accept that the developer decided that the story arc ended like this. If Shepherd was able to live, I guess that people would be giving it a similar score to ME2. I overlooked some of the cheesiness and warts that the game has, and enjoyed the journey. I give it an edge over ME2. On one hand - much better combat, and real emotional impact for me. One the other hand - poorer writing, less free will, and some unnecessary searches for random 'war assets' that only took away from the game. THE GOOD: 1. The cinematic quality was very good. 2. The battles and action is so much better than ME1 and 2, where I felt battles were not as good as the role-playing elements. Every battle in ME3 felt felt exciting and like I had some valid options. The diverse enemies kept me on my toes. I was stuck early in the game on Regular difficulty, redoing a battle like 10 times, until I got used to the new more realistic battles, and then I was able to play most of it on a harder difficulty, and I really enjoyed the fights, instead of just trying to get through them to get back to the story.
    3. Throughout much of the game, my actions from ME2 and ME3 MATTERED - I was SO pissed off and emotionally invested when my actions from the games turned out to wipe out a group of people in the game and had one of my members commit suicide. I was really upset, but that really added to the idea that my actions have ramifications. Wow, I at the time I thought that I was doing the right things, but in hindsight I could see how my decisions led to the bad result. THE BAD:
    1. Too short.
    2. The game does take away some control - your character has less leeway - the story and the cinematic quality of the game sacrifice some free will.
    3. EA's and MSoft's money grubbing ways. I will rarely play a new game - I will play a used copy most of the time. I will never buy downloadable content on XBL for this game or another game. I will probably never pay to play games on XBL. Why? Horrible value! I don't want to be bled dry by the greedy big names. Look at the appstore model - a bunch of free and affordable entertainment. I don't regret buying this.
  27. Apr 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So seems money's thin. Cerberus Financial reposessing Normandy tomorrow. Gotta wrap quick. Nothing for hero to do but jump in front of the bus. Red one, green one, or yellow one. Decisions. Decisions. Expand
  28. Apr 8, 2012
    something wrong when games like mass effect or modern warfare 3 have 3.5 average user score , and games like too human have 7.1 average user score . Metacritics should do something to link gametag with user id and if you don't finish the game, you can't post any valoration relative to the game.
  29. Apr 8, 2012
    This is a very good ending to a great trilogy. It is incredible how many details from previous games are mentioned in the game and the game combines a good balance of shooter and RPG
  30. Apr 9, 2012
    There's never been a better game with a worse ending. A crack team of N7 ewoks, defeating the Reapers by tripping them with vines, would have made for a better ending to ME3.
  31. Apr 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It pains me to give this game such a low rating. Most of the game deserves a higher score, but the ending is simply unforgivable. In the several minutes it took for the ending to conclude all my desire to play this game and the previous two games was wiped away. I thought it would only last a few days, but sadly it seems my wonderful journey with this franchises is finished. I feel cheated that it ended so sourly for me and that I was not even given the option to save the universe that I had fallen in love with. The player choice that was promised was ultimately not fulfilled. Expand
  32. Apr 12, 2012
    An open plea to all the Meta-Critic user reviewers out there who have used their artificially low score as a metaphorical means to pound their hands and feet against the ground in a tantrum: Go Take A Nap. Seriously, people, this is a game. This is a AAA-title that's heads and shoulders above most of the crap that's sold for the same price tag. I'm extraordinarily grateful to BioWare forAn open plea to all the Meta-Critic user reviewers out there who have used their artificially low score as a metaphorical means to pound their hands and feet against the ground in a tantrum: Go Take A Nap. Seriously, people, this is a game. This is a AAA-title that's heads and shoulders above most of the crap that's sold for the same price tag. I'm extraordinarily grateful to BioWare for making a game that entertained me -- that literally made me feel like I was in a movie. And as a proud gay man entering middle age, I also want to say this --- thank you, BioWare, for giving me options that reflect me & my life & my identity. You have no idea what that means. Expand
  33. Apr 12, 2012
    Mass Effect has been an extremely amazing series, and Bioware hyped this game as the extremely exciting climax to the series. I think they deliver to a certain degree. I want to praise the actual combat in this game and even though people are whining about the lack of RPG elements I do think it's still a very fun system. It also does a really good task at dealing with a lot of theMass Effect has been an extremely amazing series, and Bioware hyped this game as the extremely exciting climax to the series. I think they deliver to a certain degree. I want to praise the actual combat in this game and even though people are whining about the lack of RPG elements I do think it's still a very fun system. It also does a really good task at dealing with a lot of the perpetual issues presented in both 1 and 2 (Krogan genophage, Geth quarian relationship, etc.). I would want to get the game after reading what I said its just, so half finished. No clue how Bioware put so little work into this game and still took so long. There are some GREAT story missions, very exciting. It's just everything else is so rushed. This game fails to appease the newcomers of the series and even the veterans who love this series with a burning passion. Interested in this game? Play Mass Effect 1 & 2 they are great games. I would recommend this game but be aware of what EA did to destroy one of my favorite franchises. Expand
  34. Apr 14, 2012
    Overall I give the 6 and here is why:

Story: Excellent! Well up until the last 10min. Pretty much when you play this game and you meet the glowing child. Just restart your Xbox and you won't have the fanchise ruined. Gameplay: Good. Single Player: The power combinations come in handy for some of the more difficult enemies. Still don't care about the limited ammo becuase it goes
    Overall I give the 6 and here is why:

Gameplay: Good. Single Player: The power combinations come in handy for some of the more difficult enemies. Still don't care about the limited ammo becuase it goes against the first game, exploration was significantly reduced. Miss some of the puzzle games that were introduced to in the last game (ME2). Also you seem to need to switch between disc a lot more than in Mass Effect 2

Multiplayer: Fun. No PvP, all PvE. Focus's on teamwork. Biggest complaint is the "Store". All new characters and weapons are random with different pack just increasing your odds. Unfortunately you don't know what items, weapons or characters are Common, Uncommon, Rare, or Ultra Rare.

Bugs: A few but Significant

Most notable the face import issue for characters created in Mass Effect 1 and 2. None of my characters faces I generated imported into Mass Effect 3. Even post patch, just released 4/11, imported in properly. Many gamer have experienced items being re-lock in multiplayer and game freezes.

This game is a must play but not necessarily a must buy for the casual gamer.
  35. Apr 16, 2012
    It would be easy for me to give into emotions and give Mass Effect 3 a low score for the same reasons many of my fellow fans have. I could rail against the ending and any number of minor nuances, but to do so would be dishonest and misleading. The fact of the matter is, for 95 percent of Mass Effect 3, the game is immaculate. Combat is precise, dialogue is to the same level it has beenIt would be easy for me to give into emotions and give Mass Effect 3 a low score for the same reasons many of my fellow fans have. I could rail against the ending and any number of minor nuances, but to do so would be dishonest and misleading. The fact of the matter is, for 95 percent of Mass Effect 3, the game is immaculate. Combat is precise, dialogue is to the same level it has been since the first game, and the cutscenes are absolutely stunning. Seeing the galactic war against the Reapers is breathtaking and magnificent, and was emotionally impactful in a way I have never felt from a video game before. Of course, this made the ending all that much more heartwrenching, and for emotionally invested fans of the series like myself, disappointment, depression, and anger are likely to come about. For players new to the Mass Effect series, this game has to rate a perfect 10, as it is the best installment in the series, and gives a massively immersive feel not seen in many games. For fans of the previous two games, however, it has to rate a bittersweet 7.5. A slightly railroaded plot coupled with a bizarre ending make the conclusion to the franchise a hard pill to swallow, even if the majority of the game is absolutely beautiful, whether we want to admit it or not. Expand
  36. Apr 17, 2012
    Lets take an incredible 3 course meal made by superb chefs, and then take a big fat steamer right on top of it. This is what mass effect 3 would be like, if it was food.
  37. Apr 21, 2012
    I'm giving this game a 5 out of 10. For context, my review for both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect is 9.5 out of 10. Storyline aside, my rationale for giving the low score is due to the fact that they have changed an important game mechanic... the ability to holster your weapon during breaks in combat. This is something that was available in ME1 and ME2, and the lack of it in ME3 seriouslyI'm giving this game a 5 out of 10. For context, my review for both Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect is 9.5 out of 10. Storyline aside, my rationale for giving the low score is due to the fact that they have changed an important game mechanic... the ability to holster your weapon during breaks in combat. This is something that was available in ME1 and ME2, and the lack of it in ME3 seriously breaks the flow and makes the game less enjoyable. In the previous installments you would have a battle, then holster you gun and explore, then if more baddies cropped up, you would draw your gun again. This is much more realistic than ALWAYS having your gun drawn. Fighting bad guys? Gun drawn. No bad guys around? Gun drawn. Exploring crates? Gun drawn. Talking to teammates? Gun drawn. No one else on your team has their gun drawn? Gun drawn. It is a HUGE flaw in an otherwise good game, and I am shocked that Bioware removed it. Whoever decided that removing the ability to holster was a good idea should be fired. Expand
  38. Apr 21, 2012
    A great game, but one with an ending that is so terrible it ruins not only the whole of ME3, but of ME1 and ME2 as well. It is unfathomable how a studio like BioWare would ever think that what it incuded as the conclusion to the series would be palatable to the fans of the series who invested hundreds of hours and untold thought into tough decisions along the way. If reviewer articlesA great game, but one with an ending that is so terrible it ruins not only the whole of ME3, but of ME1 and ME2 as well. It is unfathomable how a studio like BioWare would ever think that what it incuded as the conclusion to the series would be palatable to the fans of the series who invested hundreds of hours and untold thought into tough decisions along the way. If reviewer articles included their opinions of the game's ending, score would be a lot lower. Expand
  39. Apr 21, 2012
    Best game so far this year but the ending ruins rest of the trilogy. They changed the theme of the story at the last 15 minutes and does not belong with the rest of the game. Tons of plot holes in the end scene. Ignores the story and lore of the rest of the trilogy. The endings do not live up to the promises made before release. Less dialogue choices. They made the game less of an RPG andBest game so far this year but the ending ruins rest of the trilogy. They changed the theme of the story at the last 15 minutes and does not belong with the rest of the game. Tons of plot holes in the end scene. Ignores the story and lore of the rest of the trilogy. The endings do not live up to the promises made before release. Less dialogue choices. They made the game less of an RPG and more 3rd person shooter. Rest of the game is great but ending weighs my score down. Expand
  40. Apr 22, 2012
    Best game ever! Enjoyed myself imensely, and the ending was maybe the best part for me. Soundtrack is incredible, and the first game I have played that uses all the sound dynamics of my system (down to 20 hz). Musical score also: 10/10

Helge, Norway
  41. Apr 22, 2012
    Terrible ending, devolution of game play, auto dialogue.. It's clear EA wanted this game made to cater to the most broad, widest, biggest, general audience possible and in doing so destroyed what made the game good to begin with. The unique setting,story, and character interaction blended with third person shooter action made Mass Effect 1 and 2, two of the greatest games of all time, andTerrible ending, devolution of game play, auto dialogue.. It's clear EA wanted this game made to cater to the most broad, widest, biggest, general audience possible and in doing so destroyed what made the game good to begin with. The unique setting,story, and character interaction blended with third person shooter action made Mass Effect 1 and 2, two of the greatest games of all time, and lead to Mass Effect 3 being one of the most anticipated games of all time. Despite the great critical and commercial success of the first two entries in the ME trilogy that most game developers could only dream of, EA and Bioware wanted to broaden the target audience to appeal to a much wider demographic, and in doing so, shot them selves, and the ME fiction in the foot; effectively killing what could very well have been the greatest trilogy of games the medium had ever seen. The uniqueness of the game, and cohesion of the story, were sacrificed for something that only die-hard, mountain dew chugging Michael Bay fans would be proud of.

In their commercially driven motivation for Mass Effect 3, Bioware made the mistake of thinking that making the game more like the handful of other action-oriented shooters out there would make this game better; which was a tremendous mistake. the unique blend of story, characters, player driven narrative, impactful decisions made by the player, and solid TPS action is what made the game so popular. Attempting to make the game like every other TPS game out there, turned a master piece into just another bland, white/black, piece of gaming mediocrity. The most sad part of it all, is just the fact that had they stayed the course, the ME universe wouldve remained a cash-cow for years and years to come. EA has showed incompetence on a major level in the past 5 years of gaming, and their lack of foresight on this game alone goes above and beyond "dropping the ball". This kind of blunder in any other industry would see entire executive boards sacked, and call for serious coming-to-jesus meetings within the company to determine where they went wrong and how to make it right. Time to stop focusing on marketing, and start actually making good games. Just because the critics on game review sites THAT YOU FUND, think your game is perfect; doesnt mean anything.
  42. May 3, 2012
    This is really a great game. I was amazed at how well done the game is and I love the gameplay! Highly highly recommended! Go out and get this game today!
  43. May 9, 2012
    I cannot believe this is what happened to the series. I made three different Shepard's, plugged in hours crafting each one for a specific play through. I held off on playing the game until I was done with this semester of classes because I wanted to seriously throw myself in. I've been dreading it because of what I've been hearing about the fiasco of an ending. Well I finally sat down andI cannot believe this is what happened to the series. I made three different Shepard's, plugged in hours crafting each one for a specific play through. I held off on playing the game until I was done with this semester of classes because I wanted to seriously throw myself in. I've been dreading it because of what I've been hearing about the fiasco of an ending. Well I finally sat down and played it, DAY 1 DLC included on my purchase because EA believes unfinished games being released are a great way to introduce content. Well never again.

I have been following Bioware since knights of the old republic and I've enjoyed nearly every game (Dragon Age 2 excluded) flaws and all. Mass Effect 3 however, has somehow managed to instill a serious and incredibly ANNOYING sense of betrayal. How can a game company betray me? I'm not asking as though, "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS ME BIOWARE??" It's more, "No no this makes no sense, you are not an individual capable of actually betraying me Bioware, you are a game company. The concept is ridiculous." But even so! It's as if an old friend suddenly spit in my face and left smiling after I handed him seventy dollars. It's that feeling that has me just so disgusted that I would even feel like that over a video game. I was genuinely invested in this series and now I'm left just mulling over from time to time how horrible it was at the end.

My choices didn't matter, my time put into the series had no real effect on the outcome. Killing or saving the Rachni Queen has no real impact. Uniting the Geth and the Quarian's has no real impact. The replay value of this game in my opinion is non-existent. My three Shepards have no genuine purpose other than to succumb to the will of a genocidal star child that shows up at the last ten minutes of the game. Why are there such massive plot holes in this final installment? If the Mass Relays exploding don't wipe out billions of lives and strand countless more can't the writers see how sloppy their work is? I've never made a review before, and this is my first time posting on metacritic. This final game to a wonderful series has left me with a bitter taste and a hole in my wallet. My opinion may not matter EA, but my loyalty and money once so freely given to Bioware will be taken elsewhere. I strongly suggest others do the same.
  44. May 14, 2012
    All I am going to say is that I have played every minute of available content that BIoware has made for this entire series, like many others. I feel robbed by the ending, true, but more importantly, this is quite simply the most amazing gaming experience I can think of. Period. If people want to hate on the ending that is their choice, but that doesn't change the fact that this game is theAll I am going to say is that I have played every minute of available content that BIoware has made for this entire series, like many others. I feel robbed by the ending, true, but more importantly, this is quite simply the most amazing gaming experience I can think of. Period. If people want to hate on the ending that is their choice, but that doesn't change the fact that this game is the perfect cap to over 100 hours of game play. Simply astounding! Expand
  45. May 15, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 provides an amazing end to an amazing story.
    The return of many old friends and foes makes this game the most emotionally charged I have ever played.

The entire Mass Effect series is the best story telling ever in gaming.
    Mix that with a refreshing sci-fi setting and you have got a winner.
  46. May 15, 2012
    If you can get past all the controversy about the ending, it's a really fun game! After two previous games, the developers really got this game right. Not too complex, but plenty of customization and choice. Really fun combat. And a story that is mostly great!
  47. May 16, 2012
    Excellent game full of depth, faithfully remembers choices made in Mass Effect 1 & 2 making each playthough a new experience. Choices made in this and past games colour the game but make no mistake about it, this is Shepards story, one way or another s/he will stop the Reapers
    Depth is represented more in this game by the way it reflect legacy choices, One example is that one run through may be involve Mordin and Wrex yet on a different import Evolutionist Salarian Wiks and Wreave Wrex's half brother.
    Multiplayer is fun addition although it not essential to play it for the single player campain, general wave based attack awarded weapon packs as rewards. As for the ending I think most of the controversy is due to "fans" over reacting to an ending that sets the mass effect universe up for subsequent adventures, how the Extended Cut changes this will be intresting.
  48. Mar 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, let me say that Mass Effect fans are among the worst in gaming. Not all, but the sheer number of entitled malcontents that are part of the fan base is surprising.

Anyway, the is probably my favourite game in what any honest ME fan would admit is a flawed series. ME1 had flaws. ME2 had flaws. And yes, ME3 has flaws as well.

Still though, with its flaws (the main one being its ending), it is in my opinion the best in the series. It surpasses the previous games in combat (mostly), it has the best level design and AI is unsurpassed by any in the series. Visually, it is the best as well. Art wise, it is ahead of ME1 and completely spanks ME2. Technically, it stomps the first game and beats the second (though not in all areas).

The story was mostly glorious before the last few minutes. I agree that one or two scenes were a bit manipulative but generally when the game made me feel, it did so skilfully. And feel I did. I won't go into details but the experience was epic.

One of the statements that baffles me the most is how people can claim the game was rushed and not do so for the incredibly rough first game. Mass Effect 2 was probably most consistent game in the series in terms of levels of polish (though not perfect) but Mass Effect 3 is not far behind. I mean, Shepard's last adventure is a gloriously confident affair. Beautiful designs everywhere from the levels to the characters to the weapons and armour. It is freaking gorgeous. The cinematic storytelling is incredible: a landmark for the series and Bioware. The character performances, while lacking some of the subtlety of those in ME1, is better overall. The characters themselves, while not as detailed as the cast of the first game, make up for it in sheer likeability/charisma (except for Kaiden who is still sucky).

It has some flaws.

Those meaningless little planet scanning missions are kind of tedious. Fewer missions that were more substantial would have been better that the deluge of crap we got around the middle of the game.

The whole EMS thing was not fully realized. I like the idea of a war room scenario where you monitor various assets but it was badly implemented. The tie in to the ending choices was unnecessary.

While I will say that the levels are the best in the series, some of the missions aren't fun (or at least aren't fun to replay). It might be a level design thing partly but mostly I think that scenario's for some of these missions while sensible might be best summarized. This is not nearly as bad as the loathing I feel for any mission level in ME1 outside of the Citadel but it could be better. ME2's missions are generally fun to play and replay (though some might rightly call the levels Gear of Wars-ey).

And now the big one. The ending. Ah. The moments leading up to it were great. From the assault on London, to the final goodbyes, to the excellent confrontation with the Illusive Man on the ruined Citadel. It was all fantastic. By the time I hear Hackett's voice, tinged with uncertainty regarding the Crucible's explicable inertness I am already so wrapped in the game, that all claims about the games awful ending seem rather unlikely.

Unlikely, but true. The ending sucks. I can't really remember much of the conversation that takes place but it was definitely a downer and on some level I recognize that it has done some damage to the universe. Not because of inconsistencies with the rest of the series (those mostly only affect the released games) but because of how it cast it's shadow on the future games games due to the dramatic changes it makes to the universe. They could be good changes but they need to be treated skilfully and with imagination (especially in the case of the 'synthesis' option). In any case, it is going to be a different Mass Effect from the one we know (potential very much so depending which choices become canon). Like if Star Trek effectively became BSG or some other similarly excessive change.

Outside of the massively disappointing ending and those other minor quibbles the game is a class act and the best in the series, as far as I am concerned.
  49. May 18, 2012
    Ending aside, this is a beautiful game, good looking, great voiceacting, great illusion of choice, one of the best gaming worlds ever to be created. I even accept the ending.
  50. May 19, 2012
    Some of the reviews on here are ludicrous. OK the last 15 minutes of at 30+ hour single player campaign may not appeal to everyone, but the rest of it is brilliant, stunning and engaging. This tops off the best ever game series. Add to this that the multiplayer element is more fun than you can shake a stick at. I'm not one for CoD online as I get pasted but this team based multiplayer gameSome of the reviews on here are ludicrous. OK the last 15 minutes of at 30+ hour single player campaign may not appeal to everyone, but the rest of it is brilliant, stunning and engaging. This tops off the best ever game series. Add to this that the multiplayer element is more fun than you can shake a stick at. I'm not one for CoD online as I get pasted but this team based multiplayer game provides a fantastic alternative. I for one am re-playing the main campaign as a different class (oh yes, not a solder this time but a biotic with jedi knight like powers). After that maybe as an engineer. There's so much that's good about this game that no one should let the criticism of the game ending put you off.

If you've not played 1 and 2 then by all means buy them, as they give context to this game, but it does work on it's own. The Mass Effect franchise has eaten up a very enjoyable 200+ hours of my life.
  51. May 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, let me say: this is not about the ending... ... ...oh who the hell am I trying to fool? This is ALL about the ending :) But I will put it in a way that most of the web seems to avoid: like it being something to feel shameful. There is no happy ending. Even picking the "right choices". Even playing for the best. Even spending hours and hours to complete any possible aspect of the game, it is going to end badly. For lots of people (for me of course, I think for many others, and I suspect for a lot of those lamenting for so many rational reasons) it is important to have a chance to make the story "go right". The good wins, the bad sucks, now let's kiss the girl in the sunset and YAY! I can understand all the babbling about "artistic choice" "moral dilemma" "heroic sacrifice" and I can understand that many like them, but I think that after five years, three games and hundreds of hours spent playing, It is hard to chew up, for any of those scorned by the writers choices. This game could have been something epic, making all of the players happy (weel, most of them, let's say); something like the ending of the first Knights of the old republic with a wide variety of possible storylines, After all this is meant as a saga ending: no need for a common point from where to make the story go on. This could have been the "own" ending of every player for how he chose to play the game. Nothing against an indication of that which the authors considered the "true" ending for artistic purposes (or even for a sequel) but respect for any way of playing or feeling the storyline.

Unfortunately, it has proven to be quite the opposite: they unbelievably matched the (harder I think) result to make any kind of player unhappy about what was going on. Nice shot, nothing to say 'bout it ;)

The romantic happy ending lovers like me are angry for seeing all we "fought" for collapsed.

Those interested in gameplay are angry for an anticlimax final fight, with a tedious dramatic walk (which could have been interesting, wouldn't it be so boring...) and... well... no final fight at all...

Those interested in the story are angry for a turnaround of events almost senseless... (uh? the point of the story was the relation between biological being and machines? WAIT, you never mentioned it before... AND We already solved it a minute ago making peace between Geth and Quarians AND... this is Battlestar Galactica's ending too, isn't it a bit redundant?)

I could go on fa a while but it is better to stop here: I enjoied playing the saga, but how it turned out made me feel so that the memory I have when I think of the trilogy is no more "ehy it was fun-tastic"... it is "meh, the poor Shepard, so saaaad". I think my point of view is pretty clear right now:.
    GIMME BACK MY DAMN HAPPY ENDING AND QUIT THIS CRAP ABOUT EVERYTHING, FOR BEING APPEALED "ARTISTIC" NEEDING TO BE AN OCEAN OF TEARS. There is already the real world for that: at least in videogames let me dream that a lone hero who tries hard enough can make things go right :)
  52. May 26, 2012
    I know this is supposed to a review but in all honestly I must express my dissatisfaction and disgust with these cretins who consider themselves fans. They do not deserve a game with the quality of Mass Effect. All these 7and below rating are disingenuous and knee jerk reactions to not getting what they wanted.
  53. May 31, 2012
    The ending . . . ugh. If you're checking Metacritic, you know the flaws of the ending of Mass Effect 3. It's a crime. But, the journey to the ending is tremendous, and the people giving a low rating to ME3 tend to focus on the last 10 minutes rather than the first 30 hours of the game. ME3 hits the balance between action and RPG: ME1 was nuts-and-bolts RPG (modding your guns took hoursThe ending . . . ugh. If you're checking Metacritic, you know the flaws of the ending of Mass Effect 3. It's a crime. But, the journey to the ending is tremendous, and the people giving a low rating to ME3 tend to focus on the last 10 minutes rather than the first 30 hours of the game. ME3 hits the balance between action and RPG: ME1 was nuts-and-bolts RPG (modding your guns took hours in total if you wanted to make a difference in gun performance), ME2 was very action-oriented (simplistic leveling system, minimal weapon upgrading, though the side quests mechanics of crew loyalty hinted at RPG roots). In ME3, you have the opportunity to really create a character with the combat strengths and weaknesses you desire. The shooter mechanics in ME3 were also very good. Despite some trouble grasping the cover system early on, I was able to complete the game on Insanity (high-level adept class imported from ME1 & ME2) without much difficulty, but with a lot of patience. The game featured more cut-scenes than I was accustomed to seeing in a Mass Effect game, which was disappointing, but the cut-scenes were good graphically and fit the general expectation I had of my Shepard. In short, ME3 is a good blending of ME1's RPG focus and ME2's action focus. I hated the ending, but I still give this game a 9/10. Especially if you played ME1 and ME2, you'll love ME3 except for the last 15 minutes. Stay tuned for free DLC to fix that ending, too. Expand
  54. Jun 10, 2012
    Mass Effect was my favorite game series ever. I was a huge fan on Bioware, owning almost all of their games. Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game of all time. I was so excited for the ending to the planned space opera trilogy, and for the most part, it was amazing. Throughout the entire game, I was in awe of the amazing scenes played out. This game was larger than anything before in theMass Effect was my favorite game series ever. I was a huge fan on Bioware, owning almost all of their games. Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game of all time. I was so excited for the ending to the planned space opera trilogy, and for the most part, it was amazing. Throughout the entire game, I was in awe of the amazing scenes played out. This game was larger than anything before in the series, and you face some of the biggest intergalactic issues, such as the Geth & Quarian war. The gameplay is tighter, the character interaction great, 95% of this game is a masterpiece. Then you reach the infamous ending. This ending ruined everything, this game, and the trilogy as a whole. It is somewhat amazing that in 10 minutes, Bioware is able to destroy a series. When you think Mass Effect, you think player choice and impact. This ending takes that all away, and makes literally every choice you made prior pointless.

Rather than give an ending that made sense, one that was hinted at by the games, they decided to try to transcend the game into an artistic statement. Instead they created plot holes, and divided their fanbase.

Oh well, there's always Uncharted.
  55. Jun 16, 2012
    Action scenes bugged, false choices, closed world and linear progression. Whatever i did, i got the same results of my friend who made different choices.
    My only pleasure is when i see my character is better in fight than theirs.
    I won't even talk about the end which made us want to never play it again. Music is good. Probably, i will sell it to someone else like a cursed gift. Oh,
    My only pleasure is when i see my character is better in fight than theirs.
    I won't even talk about the end which made us want to never play it again.

Music is good.

Probably, i will sell it to someone else like a cursed gift. Oh, and DLC ? Seriously ?
  56. Jun 26, 2012
    The new ending is a huge improvement and the series now feels a lot more complete. The game is such an amazing experience, no one in their right mind should pass on it.
  57. Jun 27, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was a triumph.... Until the final 5 minutes. But now, even those 5 minutes are a triumph. With the new FREE Extended Cut DLC, Bioware has improved the endings greatly and brought this game to full and utter greatness. The writing is phenomenal, the voice work is amazing, and gameplay is fun and easy to use. The graphics are a little outdated, but that doesn't matter, becauseMass Effect 3 was a triumph.... Until the final 5 minutes. But now, even those 5 minutes are a triumph. With the new FREE Extended Cut DLC, Bioware has improved the endings greatly and brought this game to full and utter greatness. The writing is phenomenal, the voice work is amazing, and gameplay is fun and easy to use. The graphics are a little outdated, but that doesn't matter, because everything else shines. Mass Effect 3 was one of the greatest gaming experiences I have ever had the pleasure of playing through, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. Expand
  58. Jun 28, 2012
    Sometime u gotta love the objectivness of people.You play agame for some hours and u are literaly mind blown till the end.Then u negate everything u played till then.Why?Is there a reason to give 0 or 1 when u have enjoyed 98% of game content?Shows the maturity and objectivity of people on metacritic.Game was awesome and the dlc gave it justice.Some of the people wanted LI reunion andSometime u gotta love the objectivness of people.You play agame for some hours and u are literaly mind blown till the end.Then u negate everything u played till then.Why?Is there a reason to give 0 or 1 when u have enjoyed 98% of game content?Shows the maturity and objectivity of people on metacritic.Game was awesome and the dlc gave it justice.Some of the people wanted LI reunion and happy rainbow ending.Got the second,and for the first part gave which they didnt get gave a 0.They just proven that they played the game for its sex and not the story.Is it a 10?no,it is certainly a 9,a masterpiece of our time Expand
  59. Jun 28, 2012
    Is this game actualy perfect? No but there needs to be a counterbalance to all the morons that dishonestly review bomb the game and give it a ridiculously low score. Seriously people are giving it 0s and 1s? What the hell is wrong with these people. There is no way you can honestly give the game that low of a score. Mass Effect 3 is an incredible game that had a weak ending that hasIs this game actualy perfect? No but there needs to be a counterbalance to all the morons that dishonestly review bomb the game and give it a ridiculously low score. Seriously people are giving it 0s and 1s? What the hell is wrong with these people. There is no way you can honestly give the game that low of a score. Mass Effect 3 is an incredible game that had a weak ending that has now been fixed thanks to the extended cut. Mass Effect 3 deserves a better fanbase. Expand
  60. Jun 28, 2012
    The EC changed this game from a mere 6 out of 10 to 8/10.

The EC changed this game from a mere 6 out of 10 to 8/10.

Yes some bugs still happen, animations are off sometimes, the quest and journal system (if i can call it that) are poorly implemented, but the game has somewhat solid game play, some parts you will love, some parts you will hate, but with the Extended Endings you won't feel like everything was for nothing, the ending isn't no longer an insult to your effort, yes is light years away of perfection, but lets be reasonable, nothing is perfect.
  61. Jun 29, 2012
    The EC just expanded the current endings, while it did make them better or in honesty just made them the endings they should have been on release day it does not address the issues that many people have in that the endings are set in stone and really all your effort in previous games was for nothing. Also if Bioware was going to make a genuine effort to appease fans of the series surelyThe EC just expanded the current endings, while it did make them better or in honesty just made them the endings they should have been on release day it does not address the issues that many people have in that the endings are set in stone and really all your effort in previous games was for nothing. Also if Bioware was going to make a genuine effort to appease fans of the series surely they could have provided a few more endings with the possibility of happier conclusion, It is after all a fantasy/sci fi game and not based on reality.
    I gave 5 out of ten for ME3 purely due to what i felt was the shortness of the game and what i felt were poor endings.
  62. Jul 2, 2012
    First, to get it clear, all the reviews that gave ME3 a 0 or 1 are just... can't use profanity... there's no way a game could get a score like that. The only problem that made Mass Effect 3 get bad reviews from just "fans" is because of the endings. Now the Extended Cut, a free DLC, fixes probably more than half of the issues, including the bad ones, making the ending a satisfying and sadFirst, to get it clear, all the reviews that gave ME3 a 0 or 1 are just... can't use profanity... there's no way a game could get a score like that. The only problem that made Mass Effect 3 get bad reviews from just "fans" is because of the endings. Now the Extended Cut, a free DLC, fixes probably more than half of the issues, including the bad ones, making the ending a satisfying and sad end to the best video game trilogy ever created. The game has minor flaws: glitches, and awkward moments but not game breaking. The game has everything: fun, epic moments, love, care, role playing, action, adventure, heart pumping moments. Not buying this game would be a HUGE mistake, except if you never played the previous Mass Effect games, which are masterpieces. Maybe I make Mass Effect sound overrated, but the best thing about it, is that ME3 is that good. A simple art masterpiece. But it isn't perfect of course, the game could have been improved with more content, as it lacks of appealing side quests. The side quests (optional assignments) are unnecessary and too the point of boredom, but as I said: optional so I won't add it to my score. It is worth your money and none should be disappointed now, as the end has been fixed. Do not even judge by the extremely negative user reviews. I would tell you to trust the critics on this one, even they ignored the original ending, now, forgettable as Extended Cut is out, at no extra cost. Expand
  63. Jul 3, 2012
    Okay... if you hadn't noticed, playing this game, you'll either love it and be annoyed by the people that hate it or love it and hate the game and be annoyed by the people who love it.

One of the major requirements is the experience of the previous two games which means it's not all that great of a stand alone game. The ending is not for everybody, so even if you did play the previous games, there's no guarantee you'll like it. The story is disjointed. There are game aspects that those who played the previous games won't understand because they didn't read the books or they didn't read the comics and even that's not going to mean you're going to like it.

Gameplay is the greatest improvement. There are better games with better controls, but it's obviously the biggest improvement. That said, it lacks gaming systems like minigames, quality side missions and boss battles. It's like it's a game designed by people who wished they were writing a novel instead of making a game.

It's a space RPG with no exploration. It's a bland shooter that doesn't revolutionize anything whose targeting systemyou either like or don't.. It's a "choose your own adventure" with limited choices. It's a space sci fi space opera that fails to live up to the greats.

I was going to give it a 5, then I remembered that you have to download a different ending because the first one was really bad instead of disjointed and contrived. You also have to pay for a downloadable 7th character. To unlock the all the endings, you have to either download the Extended cut or play multiplayer to unlock the endings just on the disc. Some of the plots, you have to play the previous games. They're better, so going back to play another game to play this one seem pointless considering it doesn't matter in terms of resolution. If you do play those games, you end up playing better quality games not restricted by a badly timeline.

Storywise, the resolution is seperate from the rest of the series, which is a shame because the rest of it was pretty darn good. I'd say, save your money. If you haven't played it by now, you'd have a better time playing one of the first 2 games. It'll be in the used game pile soon, anyway.
  64. Jul 3, 2012
    Overall the game was Ok. Not as exiting as I expected.... But the ending just killed it completely. There are enough said on the ending, so I'm not going to repeat it all. Just say that I would rate it much either if ending wasn't so scrued up.
  65. Jul 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I reserved my judgement till the EC was out. It's out and I will never buy another game from Bioware. Period. Here is why.

At first I could not even load my Shepards into the game because of the Character Transfer bugs. I ended up needing to use a fan work around and an empty USB drive even to get my Shepard into the game. To date the only fix they've given us just removes the error message for some fans, myself included on two faces. Still not fixed and still bugged to all hell.

So then I started out my game and the issues kept piling on. I noticed the auto-dialogue, being down to two conversation choices, MP being required to get all the endings, etc. I'm sure you've read them in numerous other posts before. Yeah combat's nice and all, but I don't play a Bioware game for combat. I play their games for a rich background world and characters I'm going to love for years. I know they reuse plots, but I thoroughly enjoy the company while I play them. The endings, that they took whole cloth from Deux Ex, destroy that ride. Every time I fire up the Xbox to play one of my other Shepards, I find it doesn't matter. I know how it'll end. Saving the Council or not. Recruiting people or not. Doing anything in the three games really has no bearing whatsoever on the last choice. That is why I think the endings do a great disservice to a series lauded for choices. Nothing really matters other then the very last one, which are all the same as long as your score is high enough. I think I could have been okay with some of the EC, if Bioware didn't give us all a giant FU as the 'new' ending. Destroy, where Shepard does not act like a mindless zombie like the others. This new ending is nothing more the Casey saying FU to the fans about changing his very flawed endings. So I'm done with Bioware and anything with Casey Hudson's name on it.
  66. Jul 8, 2012
    played ME 3 as a first timer and couldn't get past the second to end stage. Bought ME 2 and plated through that twice and each time imported character into ME 3. Thoroughly enyoed all the challenges and gameplay. the game plays differently for each character played. however the end seems to remain the same. great game. really addictive. I shall play again as all the different types. justplayed ME 3 as a first timer and couldn't get past the second to end stage. Bought ME 2 and plated through that twice and each time imported character into ME 3. Thoroughly enyoed all the challenges and gameplay. the game plays differently for each character played. however the end seems to remain the same. great game. really addictive. I shall play again as all the different types. just wished the ending changed with the decisions made. Expand
  67. Jul 8, 2012
    Overall the game was very disappointing for me, and this is sad because I have played the other 2 ME games and consider myself a Mass Effect fan (maybe it should be considered). A few parts were very well done and this is what made the game bearable for me. The Tuchanka and Rannoch mission chains were the games saving grace and the writing was in most cases stellar. Which makes theOverall the game was very disappointing for me, and this is sad because I have played the other 2 ME games and consider myself a Mass Effect fan (maybe it should be considered). A few parts were very well done and this is what made the game bearable for me. The Tuchanka and Rannoch mission chains were the games saving grace and the writing was in most cases stellar. Which makes the debacle at the end of the game even harder to understand. The ending was nothing short of a travesty. It took away my desire to replay the game and even the other two games. When a game does that I would consider a 4 a very generous score... Expand
  68. Jul 16, 2012
    Way better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UAWay better than that 5.1 UA
  69. Jul 17, 2012
    The game started off a little disconnected if you haven't played the ME2 DLC's but you quickly get into it. The build up of the story takes off quite quickly and its easy to get into the gameplay and the story. Originally there were a lot of gaps, but the release of the free DLC plugs these and finishes it off nicely. If the DLC ending and gaps had been in the original this would've hadThe game started off a little disconnected if you haven't played the ME2 DLC's but you quickly get into it. The build up of the story takes off quite quickly and its easy to get into the gameplay and the story. Originally there were a lot of gaps, but the release of the free DLC plugs these and finishes it off nicely. If the DLC ending and gaps had been in the original this would've had a 9 easily. There are a few things missing for it to make a 10. Expand
  70. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a huge fan of the series all the way. Sure the ending wasn't what we as users wanted, but Bioware tried to fixed it, even though you think they failed they still tried and are still trying. I am 50, 50 on the ending. But you got to think of the moral Bioware was trying to send us, but some users are just to ignorant to pay attention. They been trying to tell us the same lesson throughout the whole series, staring with Mass Effect 1. They want to tell us that you can accomplish anything if you just stand firm with your beliefs. In ME3, you can tell Shepard knows that he will lose, but he still gathers help from everywhere by putting their differences aside and focusing on the real problem. And in the end, the "kid" knew that Shepard's cycle has a chance and are coming very close to destroying the Reapers, so instead of letting Shepard win he tries to convince him for a final time that control is the best way to go, but Shepard has a stronger willpower and sticks with his "new solution". To me, this series will always be on top of any other game, not because of gameplay, but because of the story and the characters. Expand
  71. Aug 12, 2012
    This game is some of the worst work Bioware has done. For a game focused on decision making, there isn't that many decisions in most cases you are only granted 2 options that are obviously Renegade or Paragon choices and nothing neutral. Very rarely do you even get a 3rd option in dialogue. There are also less RPG elements than before making this game more of a 3rd person shooter than anThis game is some of the worst work Bioware has done. For a game focused on decision making, there isn't that many decisions in most cases you are only granted 2 options that are obviously Renegade or Paragon choices and nothing neutral. Very rarely do you even get a 3rd option in dialogue. There are also less RPG elements than before making this game more of a 3rd person shooter than an RPG. The new squad members were not nearly as interesting as the previous ones. Finally the two worst parts the ending which the extended cut did not fix that well you, just get a 5 minute slideshow and of course **** day 1 DLC . Expand
  72. Aug 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3: Mass Disappointment
    The game controls and AI are average but this series was living on the story so what have they done...ruined that too, bioware lied time and time again, insted of supporting the fans they spit in face of anyone who gave a damm for the series, the ending does not reflect any choices you have made, if anyone played ME1 and ME2 with imported characters in the end of ME3 it doesnt count for nothing, the choices you made are irrelevant because in the end you have to choose from 4possible outcomes and guess what you die in all of them and you stay witlh more doubts because so much is left unsplained.

But Bioware seeing this as lauched a DLC ( because everyone in EA belives that everybody who bought de game has the console conected to the internet... ) and guess what insted of making something usefull like adressing what the comunity has said, no...its the same thing but now adicional slides of information without changing nothing...the gamers for whom you made a DLC did not wanted a narration, just a decent closure, and for the users who said they liked the game as it was, the delivering of the DLC proves that bioware realized the crap they did...but even knowing they still insisted on it...

this is the ultimate insult to anyone who played since the first game and invested hours and hours in it, and for those who play mass effect 3 for the first time without de previous game its mediocre because this series lived on the story and not in the controls, people can say the motion capture is this and sound is that, anyone in this time and after all these years in corrent generation of consoles expects no less...what is to be expected is a good game and a good history from a company that brougt us games like KOTOR almost a decade ago and now fails to provide...a game to avoid
  73. Aug 27, 2012
    The journey over all three games was fantastic. The destination sucked. I loved this game, until I got to the end. I respect Bioware's adherence to their 'artistic vision', but I whole-heartedly disagree with it. The endings felt like a spit in the face to all the hours invested in this series by the consumer. It must be worse for those who worked tirelessly on this series to see suchThe journey over all three games was fantastic. The destination sucked. I loved this game, until I got to the end. I respect Bioware's adherence to their 'artistic vision', but I whole-heartedly disagree with it. The endings felt like a spit in the face to all the hours invested in this series by the consumer. It must be worse for those who worked tirelessly on this series to see such negative fan reaction. Sadly, I believe the negative reaction is warranted. Expand
  74. Aug 30, 2012
    This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game isThis game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome This game is awsome Expand
  75. Sep 19, 2012
    To say Mass Effect 3 is a bad game is completely wrong, it gets some things that it shouldn't wrong but these cloud over the positives, I will lay this out so it is easier to read, I will leave the multiplayer out for the moment.
    POSITIVE
    - The combat is an improvement on Mass Effect 2, it is much more fluid and enjoyable. -The story (up until the final 20 minutes) is pretty good -The
    POSITIVE
    -The story (up until the final 20 minutes) is pretty good
    -The weapon choice is nearly as large as ME1 but all the guns are different and offer great variety
    -Set pieces are great
    NEGATIVE
    - The ending, although not as bad as some claim (now thanks to the extended cut free DLC it makes sense), it also leaves room for Bioware to implement the "Indoctrination Theory" (For more info go to Clever Noob Network on YouTube, they have 3 hour and a half documentries on this concept)
    -Some of the animations are poor, (Shepard often does a shoulder pat that looks like it's from the 90s
    - There are also marks that the game was rushed, e.g on mission one on Earth, when on the skyscrapers look down, the images of husks running below you looks terrible)
    -The combat, though very well polished is a little too easy, the ability to unleash ridiculously powerful explosions with biotics makes insanity really too easy in parts.
    -I found the fact that you can't go into true conversation with squadmates on the Normandy anytime a tad annoying but then again the banter that is thrown between them better them more than makes up for it

STORY OVER

MULTIPLAYER
    Without multiplayer I would have probably given this game a 6 or 7
    It is the better part of the game and has very few flaws, for those who don't know the multiplayer is a horde mode (wave defence) with 11 rounds, however at 3,6 and 10 there is an objective to complete, this earns you credits to buy equipment. The 11th wave is an extraction wave where you have to survive for two mins and get to an extraction zone.
    You can play as a many different races and classes, there are lots of maps and you can fight Cerberus, geth or Reapers on either bronze (easy), Silver (normal) or Gold (hard), the number of credits increases the harder difficulty, they added a platinum difficulty in a free dlc where you fight all the factions at once who are at full strength at wave one.
    The multiplayer has been attacked by some critics but is actually incredible and adds huge replay value to the game

For those interested I played Mass Effect 2 first, it was so well reviewed I felt compelled to play it. I then got Mass Effect 3 and earlier this year I got Mass Effect 1. So no I am not a "true" fan of the series but given i put 40 hours into ME3 within a week of owning it and am probably well past 200 hours of total play time on ME3 alone, I feel I am qualified to judge this game, unlike those who just played the game once and stopped playing due to the ending.
  76. Oct 10, 2012
    There are billions of stars. Each one of them might have a different world within them. Each world might be the home for different species of life. And every life has a different story to tell from history. I know you wish on them when you look at them at the night sky, I know because I do wish on them too and my prayers find response in galaxy as a whole. The details might have been lostThere are billions of stars. Each one of them might have a different world within them. Each world might be the home for different species of life. And every life has a different story to tell from history. I know you wish on them when you look at them at the night sky, I know because I do wish on them too and my prayers find response in galaxy as a whole. The details might have been lost in time, everything might have become so much older or simply we might not have translated the signs correctly. I make a step forward in order to comprehend this wish, and who knows? By starting on this journey, it might not be impossible or it might not have even started Expand
  77. Oct 15, 2012
    I liked the first installment pretty well; and the second STILL stands as one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had; it showed remarkable improvements from the first in terms of character (richer back-stories, more dialogue), better pacing (no endless roams on the dune-buggy, the mining was maybe tedious but brief), and streamlined game-play (shooting, squad orders; no wonkyI liked the first installment pretty well; and the second STILL stands as one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had; it showed remarkable improvements from the first in terms of character (richer back-stories, more dialogue), better pacing (no endless roams on the dune-buggy, the mining was maybe tedious but brief), and streamlined game-play (shooting, squad orders; no wonky upgrades/menus). This installment started out ... amiss. By the time I reached Rannoch and attempted FAR TOO MANY TIMES to dispatch the Reaper on even the easiest setting (only doing so as a last and final resort, and dying my first two and final attempts barely getting a shot off). So I've quit. I don't know what else to say about it that hasn't already been said. I DO HOPE that EA/Bioware etc. take the time to carefully look into the feedback they've gotten from the fans regarding this franchise and take it to heart... somehow that seems a bit futile too. Expand
  78. Nov 16, 2012
    ME3 is a real good game. I preferred the first ME but it's not the same context : In the third ME , we don't have really the time to explorate the universe because the earth is in danger. It makes sense. The original end is the only "black spot" , but with the extended cut , it's much better. I don't understand the others : do you know a lot of games where there are several different endsME3 is a real good game. I preferred the first ME but it's not the same context : In the third ME , we don't have really the time to explorate the universe because the earth is in danger. It makes sense. The original end is the only "black spot" , but with the extended cut , it's much better. I don't understand the others : do you know a lot of games where there are several different ends and when you can play more than 20 hours for only one end? Don't hesitate to buy it if you loved this franchise, you will not regret it! Expand
  79. Dec 2, 2012
    I loved ME1 and ME2. The story was superb and the gaming experience was fantastic. However, I recently purchased ME3 and after several days of trying to get the disc to work, I've given up and returned it. My low review is not related to the ME3 content or the ending, I never got that far. I spent hours scouring the forums and web for fixes, but ME3 was simply unplayable on my XBOX 360I loved ME1 and ME2. The story was superb and the gaming experience was fantastic. However, I recently purchased ME3 and after several days of trying to get the disc to work, I've given up and returned it. My low review is not related to the ME3 content or the ending, I never got that far. I spent hours scouring the forums and web for fixes, but ME3 was simply unplayable on my XBOX 360 even after the Oct patch. I encountered multiple locking and freezing issues on the first night. Then, I was able to get it to work past the intro but the following day, none of my saved games would load. Expand
  80. Dec 29, 2012
    For me the best game on xbox and the best trilogy ever made.. People will have differnt opinions on the ending of the game and to be honest when i first seen it i had mixed emotions on it. I first felt liked they ripped my heart out thinking how they could this to a beloved franchise knowing ive spent over 100hrs on this but they brought out the EC and all was forgiven in my eyes iFor me the best game on xbox and the best trilogy ever made.. People will have differnt opinions on the ending of the game and to be honest when i first seen it i had mixed emotions on it. I first felt liked they ripped my heart out thinking how they could this to a beloved franchise knowing ive spent over 100hrs on this but they brought out the EC and all was forgiven in my eyes i understand peoples frustration on this but 10 min on an ending cant justify low scores on a trilogy masterpiece. Expand
  81. Jan 20, 2013
    I let my Mass Effect 3 experience sit and gestate for nearly a year before I felt I could properly describe the sensations that it evoked. It was a single feeling, it was like somebody with less knowledge of the source material was telling a condensed ending over mouthfuls of hamburger in a high school cafeteria. True there were parts that ended exactly as they should and it played exactlyI let my Mass Effect 3 experience sit and gestate for nearly a year before I felt I could properly describe the sensations that it evoked. It was a single feeling, it was like somebody with less knowledge of the source material was telling a condensed ending over mouthfuls of hamburger in a high school cafeteria. True there were parts that ended exactly as they should and it played exactly like I expected it to with multiplayer in the mix. Just felt as though there was more to the story than fist bumps and Freddie Prinze Jr. would allow, Expand
  82. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome game. i donĀ“t get why so many people give this game so bad score, its excellent. Combat has been improved, more customization options, favorite characters make at least a cameo which is good, though i would have liked to have a krogan team member. Story might not be as good as ME2 or ME1 but, it doesnt deserve so bad score just because the ending, though they improved it with extended cut. People Shouldnt give this 6,5,4,3,2 or 1 because some ending, story and because it doesnt have so much RPG aspects as Mass Effect 1. But the game still kicks ass on story while it isnt as good as we wanted it be it still is awesome. There is more different weapons than before and the customization is better than ME 1 or ME 2. So overall the improves on combat, customization but is bit of letdown on story and ending. Expand
  83. Mar 21, 2013
    This is a very good game, and has been exposed to far too much negative publicity. It has been a brilliant series, and this is a very good continuation of the Mass Effect trilogy. The gameplay is better than any previous installment, with good graphics and some missions being very well executed and thought out: Tuchanka and Rannoch in particular. That said, the lack of more conversationThis is a very good game, and has been exposed to far too much negative publicity. It has been a brilliant series, and this is a very good continuation of the Mass Effect trilogy. The gameplay is better than any previous installment, with good graphics and some missions being very well executed and thought out: Tuchanka and Rannoch in particular. That said, the lack of more conversation decisions, and less squad members, as well as the now infamous ending might plague the game somewhat. The multiplayer in itself is very addictive, a fun Horde mode where the main problem is an infuriatingly unlikely random store, which seems to be an excuse for those dreaded microtransactions. All in all, Mass Effect 3 is a great game, all though it may be slightly plagued by some problems blown way out of proportion. Expand
  84. Mar 26, 2013
    My God, this game is so bad. I mean, WTF, is this even real??? Graphics suxxxx monkey balls, no killstreaks, no quick scopez, joke man. This game is garbage PS I didn't play it.
  85. Jul 24, 2013
    game never buy it is very gay hfejrbv,mjwnvkci8nrwnjekyvtc hunjekmvfygbnhujkml,fvgybjunh'lvfyghuioklhuyijoklp6rftghuyijko6tyhu7koipl;[6tgy789ui0o-pf6gtyhujiokplhuyijokl
  86. Oct 9, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 is the epic conclusion of one of the most ambitious, memorable, amazing stories in modern media. The lore is rich, but relatable and accessible. In this, the 3rd installment of the trilogy, Commander Shepard (the protagonist) is tasked with confronting a massive threat to the galaxy while being tasked with forging tenuous alliances with other races that aren't on the bestMass Effect 3 is the epic conclusion of one of the most ambitious, memorable, amazing stories in modern media. The lore is rich, but relatable and accessible. In this, the 3rd installment of the trilogy, Commander Shepard (the protagonist) is tasked with confronting a massive threat to the galaxy while being tasked with forging tenuous alliances with other races that aren't on the best terms with each other.

Compared to earlier Mass Effect games, the combat has been refined. The controls feel responsive and crisp. I no longer felt as though Shepard was dragging a piano behind him as in previous games. You're also able to roll, which makes a huge difference in this game given the faster paced combat and more intelligent AI (e.g. they will flank you and bust you out of cover). In addition, power combos have been enhanced. To me, it's one of the things I love most about the game play. You have the ability to inflict more damage by hitting an enemy with a particular power (e.g. telekinetic/mystic, tech-based and grenadier for the uninitiated) and then following up with another special power that creates an effect that adds more damage and potentially causes collateral damage to nearby enemies.

In addition, I really enjoyed seeing how the story arch does take into consideration your choices from the previous installments. While some of these past choices only affect minor aesthetic aspects of the experience (e.g. you see some generic character in a particular role than a character from Mass Effect "one"), others have implications that extend to the epilogue (e.g. the fate of a particular race). Be warned, if you've grown to care about any character from these games, then you will cry. Often. Most of these tears can be attributed to direct shots to your heart via non-exploitative nostalgia and very touching/tender moments.

The music score in this game is epic. Clint Mansell (frmly Pop Will Eat Itself, Trent Reznor buddy, Grammy nominated composer of the score from "Black Swan") lends his talents and provides some of the most heart swelling pieces I've ever heard. Not to mention the amazing talents of Sam Hulick. I cannot tell you the number of times I've listened to the main soundtrack....

As for the technical aspects: Great graphics and sound. Yes, there are the occasional texture pop-in issues (which can be minimized by installing the game) and the odd glitches that range from peculiar to downright unnerving. There's one glitch that I consistently encounter in the game with every play thru that played a role in me scoring the game a 9 versus 10. It's not game breaking, but more immersion breaking. It doesn't last long, but it will haunt your dreams...

Overall, the critical/story advancing missions where fun and fast paced; however, I wish there were more opportunities to explore as opposed to being compelled to push forward. While in retrospect, I've regarded the Mako-based missions from the first game to be a bit tedious; having played through it again I have to admit that I kind of miss them and the sense of scale that being able to explore a sandbox brought to the experience. However, one has to weigh that against the overall sense of urgency that the game creates, both inherent to the plot and with nice little music tricks (e.g., more frantic movements in the music which gets your heart racing).

Side quests for the most part, are relegated to "Fly here, scan this planet, collect item, bring back to someone in the Citadel". This was a truly missed opportunity to have more fleshed out missions and combat. Also, War Assets, gained by completing missions and helping other races' militaries/leadership, are a pretty neat way of ensuring people complete as many side quests as possible to get the "best ending"; the threshold for getting the "best ending" is easily attained. This is especially true if you play the fantastic, though simplistic multiplayer, and if you play any of the DLC.

While speaking in superlatives about this franchise has become esoteric controversy w/in the more ardent rank and file within the Mass Effect fanbase, ironically, these words are the best way I can express my opinion of this game and the franchise overall. Despite some of its short comings, I was more than satisfied with the experience, from beginning to end and I highly recommend it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you have the Extended Cut downloaded. It makes a huge difference in the ending of the game so I would say it is essential.and it's free. Furthermore, though not essential, I recommend that "From Ashes", "Leviathan" and "The Citadel" DLCs be purchased. These are fantastic pieces of add-on content for those who can't get enough of the lore and character interactions. Omega is an ok piece of DLC, but it feels more like an option than any other DLC in the franchise.
  87. Dec 27, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 has one of the best written stories i have seen in a game. It is an epic and interesting story throughout and has very good dialog. The game play is good and it keeps things interesting. You can level up different powers depending on which one you like best. All in all, it is one of the best games i have played and probably THE best.
  88. Mar 13, 2014
    I absolutely love this game. it is completely story driven with great character development and epic gameplay. It is also the only game I think I have ever released emotional feelings about as the story and the dire situations kept me engaged at all times. I honestly believe this is the best game I have ever played. as It was more compelling and engaging than any other game I had everI absolutely love this game. it is completely story driven with great character development and epic gameplay. It is also the only game I think I have ever released emotional feelings about as the story and the dire situations kept me engaged at all times. I honestly believe this is the best game I have ever played. as It was more compelling and engaging than any other game I had ever played. I recommend this for any sci-fi fan. but to actually get the absolute true experience they must play the first 2 games. and perhaps they will get the same feeling I had when I completed this one. The people at bioware know what they are doing and I'm extremely excited for Mass effect 4. Expand
  89. Jun 27, 2014
    All aspects of the game are improvements from the previous 2 games. Combat is as rewarding as some of the other traditional shooters. The stories strength lies in it's subtlety, which allows the gamer to truly personalize the game. I felt the ending to be inspiring because it was open ended enough to allow me to fill in the blanks and place my own personal motivations and beliefs into theAll aspects of the game are improvements from the previous 2 games. Combat is as rewarding as some of the other traditional shooters. The stories strength lies in it's subtlety, which allows the gamer to truly personalize the game. I felt the ending to be inspiring because it was open ended enough to allow me to fill in the blanks and place my own personal motivations and beliefs into the story. It is sad the game caught such a bad rap for the ending. It actually effected my perception of the game when i initially played it. Now that I've come back to playing it, I appreciate it more for what it is. An amazing achievement in storytelling, game play and taking chances with an audience even if they aren't ready to be challenged. Expand
  90. Jul 23, 2014
    i really like the game though i recognize its faults. my main complaint would the lack of different body types for Sheppard and the hands looking far older then they should with these characters. i also thin the should have been at least 12 companions in the game it would have added more variation. the lack of a solid sentinel can be an issue for some builds. the ending isn't great but ii really like the game though i recognize its faults. my main complaint would the lack of different body types for Sheppard and the hands looking far older then they should with these characters. i also thin the should have been at least 12 companions in the game it would have added more variation. the lack of a solid sentinel can be an issue for some builds. the ending isn't great but i was fine with it before the extended cut. i think the extended cut adds more context to the ending which is nice. so overall it was a good solid game but not a great one. Expand
  91. Dec 15, 2014
    This is easily the poorest offering Bioware has given us in many a year, and by far the worst of the Mass Effect trilogy. The original, ME1, was one of my all-time favorite CRPGs. I didn't like a lot of the changes they made to ME2 so much, because they made it more like a FPS and less like a CRPG, but I was able to tolerate the changes because the story was still pretty good. MassThis is easily the poorest offering Bioware has given us in many a year, and by far the worst of the Mass Effect trilogy. The original, ME1, was one of my all-time favorite CRPGs. I didn't like a lot of the changes they made to ME2 so much, because they made it more like a FPS and less like a CRPG, but I was able to tolerate the changes because the story was still pretty good. Mass Effect 3 unfortunately retains and even furthers the FPS feel of the game, eroding what little RPG element is left, and doesn't even make up for this with story this time -- the story is terrible.

Probably the #1 issue I have with ME3 is that, far more than the others, it felt like a game on rails. There were very few options, very few choices, and almost no cases where the "choices" they gave you felt like they made any difference. Gone are any real stories relating to your crew-mates. There are none of those. It seems totally random which past crew mates Bioware gives you back again and which ones refuse to re-join you. There are hardly any conversations on the ship with your crew-mates any more, and no chance to do things like learn about them or earn any loyalty. The crew stories are basically gone, and replaced by nothing -- there are no other story elements in their stead.

Another problem, at least on the Xbox, is the menu system, which is absolutely horrid. For some unfathomable reason, Bioware combined the Journal and the Codex, which is absolutely infuriating - it glows with "new entries" even when they are only just codex entries and not new quests. The side and main quests share the same menu now, which makes for an almighty mess, and there is no "completed" mission menu so by the end of the game you have this list that is like 80 items tall, and the UI always puts you in the middle of it, buried in the "completed" missions, forcing you to scroll up 20 or 3 items to get to the active quests. And then there is the issue that they tell you what planet something is on but NOT the system or the cluster, and they don't mark most quests on the galaxy map, so you have to randomly hop around from sector to sector trying to find quest locations. This is really stupid, as the girl assisting you even says she has marked stuff on your galaxy map (but she just hasn't). This feels like Bioware were just being jerks trying to make my life harder than it needed to be.

Finally, I will rant a little bit about the ending. If you've heard anything about it, you've probably heard the rumor that the ending is horrible. All I can say about this is - the haters are UNDER-selling it. The ending is absolutely terrible. I'm not sure who at Bioware thought they should end their epic trilogy with a Morton's Fork type of dilemma, but I found it very forced and very unsatisfying. Also, the explanation for "everything that has been happening in galactic history" was really, REALLY lame.

In the end, it felt like Bioware had a bunch of different ideas, wasn't sure which one would work, half-implemented all of them, and then slapped it together into a package and called it "done." There was too much mindless combat, and not enough interesting conversation options in this game. It's a poor successor to the first two MEs and does not deserve to share their name. The only good thing I can say is that the voice acting is still pretty good, and the basic way combat worked was enjoyable (although HIGHLY repetitive). The game is playable, but only as a shooter. Not for the story or RPG elements. Those things, which are normally Bioware strengths, were the major weaknesses of this game.
  92. Dec 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ME2 is a great game. ME3 is an appalling disappointment.
    Cut scenes are excessive in number and in length.
    One (in Tuchanka tower) seemed to last about 20 minutes.
    I didn't time it, and I wouldn't want to repeat it to do so.
    Battles are long and monotonous.
    EA should either fire their B-team or should make up their minds whether they wish to sell video games or 3rd-rate boring sci-fi movies.
  93. Mar 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It may not be better than Mass Effect 2 but the third is just as good. Except for the STAR CHILD comes out of nowhere and just tells you that he created the reapers and gives you three choices or three endings. If you happen to be Renegade then the control ending and the synthesis ending sucks your blood. Very awful endings but at least the DESTROY ENDING but it doesn't explain what happen to the other races. Until they finally released the EXTENDED CUT that makes the destroy ending better. But I don't see all the consequences I made in the original Mass Effect since I am a renegade. Is bad but at least if you are paragon, you can see that Shepard is alive but almost dead and it gives me hope for Mass Effect 4 without THE SHEPARD. Expand

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.