5.9

1. Mar 8, 2012
    Emotional storytelling, intense gameplay, deep and complex characterization and sky-high production values come together to deliver a perfect conclusion to the perfect trilogy.
  2. Mar 8, 2012
    For the finale of a game series that has been sold as an evolving story where the player's decisions guide the flow, Mass Effect 3 fails to deliver. Any major decisions from the first 2 games (saving or killing the council, what to do with the rachni queen, whether to save or destroy Maelon's genophage research) all ultimately end up being represented as numbers on a chart and nothingFor the finale of a game series that has been sold as an evolving story where the player's decisions guide the flow, Mass Effect 3 fails to deliver. Any major decisions from the first 2 games (saving or killing the council, what to do with the rachni queen, whether to save or destroy Maelon's genophage research) all ultimately end up being represented as numbers on a chart and nothing more. Some dialouge may change and some cutscenes may have different faces in them due to these decisions, but ultimately the game moves forward in the same direction no matter what decisions you made. That is ultimately why this game is and always will be a dissapointment to me. Credit to Bioware for starting one of the most ambitious gaming projects ever. It's unfortunate that they seem to have lost ambition halfway through. Expand
  3. Mar 8, 2012
    Having played many hours, I have to say that this is much more than an amazing game. The things that haters say aren't how the say. They're giving 0 all the time just to troll. Mass Effect 3 mixes awesome story, great and fast gameplay, unforgettable characters and moments, etc. Stop comparing it with the other two games, and not say that it has to be similar than the first Mass Effect. InHaving played many hours, I have to say that this is much more than an amazing game. The things that haters say aren't how the say. They're giving 0 all the time just to troll. Mass Effect 3 mixes awesome story, great and fast gameplay, unforgettable characters and moments, etc. Stop comparing it with the other two games, and not say that it has to be similar than the first Mass Effect. In Mass Effect there was no war, so you could explore the galaxy freely. But how you people want this on Mass Effect 3? We are on a massive galactic war against the Reapers, and you think that Shepard and his crew can, for example, get on the Mako and visit some planets? Earth is being destroyed, and the game has to adapt to the story, so please, think and stop saying stupid things just to troll.

Mass Effect 3 may not be the best game ever made, but it's one of the best of this generation and an epic and brilliant ending to the trilogy. So now, let's go take Earth back.
  4. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had to wait a few hours after finishing the game before writing a review because I wanted to take some time to look back on ME1/ME2 and be as fair and objective as possible when collecting my thoughts on ME3. This game is amazing in several ways: (1) dialogue between familiar (and to some extent unfamiliar) characters feels more real and natural, (2) combat is a lot more interesting and, in some scenes, more challenging than both ME1 and ME2, (3) the cinematic scenes depicting various key events in the story are visually engaging and easy to connect with emotionally, (4) the romance interactions between Shepard and his/her LI is a vast improvement from both ME1 and ME2, and (5) the overall visual element of the game (the Citadel, the new worlds that you visit--Rannoch and Thessia for example, and the characters themselves) made it really easy to immerse yourself in the game. Having been a huge fan of ME1 and ME2, I was happy to see that Bioware came through in these areas. I had moments where I laughed, moments where I felt giddy, and plenty of moments where I cried (e.g., Thane's death). That being said, I was incredibly surprised at how much the ending affected me. Up until the very last moments in the game (I would say up until the part where the destroyer reaper vaporizes people around you while you painfully drag yourself toward the beam), I would have given the game a 10/10 hands down. I would have bowed down to Bioware for telling the greatest story ever told. And then there was the ending: (1) The number of plot holes left is an insult to the bajillion hours that I invested in the first two games, (2) the Deus Ex-style ending completely chaffed my soul, and (3) I received next to NO closure on all of the relationships that I've been building up until the point. What happened to the people on the citadel (e.g., Bailey, the council, etc.) What happens to my team? What happens to the two squadmates that I took with me in the final battle scene? What happens to the races that I just spent hours trying to unite in hopes of a more relevant and fitting ending? I loved the Deus Ex ending in Deus Ex because it fit with what the story was about up until the end; Mass Effect was more than just a morally ambiguous thought exercise on organic vs. synthetic existence--it's SO much more than that--so why condense it all to that? I don't need Shepard to live in the end (and I certainly don't need a happily-ever-after ending where nobody dies and everyone is all smiles at the end of the reaper invasion), but I sure as hell was under the impression that I'd have the choice. I put so much thought into paragon vs. renegade, which is arguably the main driving force in the plot up until the very last scene, and it seems like no matter what you do you are boxed into an ending that's uncomfortable, unclear, and unnervingly disappointing. I was amazed at how emotionally connected I felt to the Mass Effect series, and spent what felt like an eternity looking forward to the final part of the trilogy. In terms of ME3, I felt completely satisfied with the exception of the ending, which seemed totally out of place and unnecessarily broke my enthusiasm and passion for the game. Do I hate the entire series now because of the way it ends? No. Will I deny that all 3 games are amazing in multiple ways and have allowed me to be a part of an epic story? No. Can I jump on the 10/10 bandwagon for ME3? Absolutely not, because the ending of such a huge story is critical, and in my opinion it was an epic fail in this game. If I could go back in time, I would probably have not played the game past Shepard's last speech to his/her team--at least at that point you were excited/terrified/scared, but you also had the hope that other characters instilled in you, and the hope that you spent so much time instilling into other characters. So in the end, I can't give this game a positive review, although it kills me to know that it would have been such an easy thing to do if the ending had (a) more variation and more of an actual decision-making component to it (such that all endings aren't essentially the same--I know there is room for argument here, but I maintain that it can all boil down the same basic ending), (b) incorporated more of the choices that you have been making for the past three games, (c) more relevance to the personal side of Shepard (e.g., how Shepard has evolved over time and who Shepard has become), and (d) more closure on all of the characters, relationships, and decisions that you just spent three games experiencing. You almost did it, Bioware. So close and yet so far. Expand
  5. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all I loved the first 2 games. This one was not as bad as Ive heard people saying. I thought the graphics were good the story was good and combat was top notch. The only problem I have is with the ending. You give me 3 choices all of them end up the same way? Like another reviewer said, what's the point in going back and playing the 1st and 2nd just to have it all end in the 3rd. It not only ends it ends badly. You get the same crap ending no matter what you did in the first 2 games or this one Paragon/Renegade don't matter. No matter how high your readiness is you still die. I think I would actually be ok with Shepard dying if it would have shown a hero ceremony, a funeral or shown my love interest (Liara) mourning my death. It would have given me the feeling that yes I died but I died for a reason. It just kind of cuts off at the end. You see familiar faces but they look as if nothing happened. Nobody looks sad that Shepard is gone, it's just back to normal. That is what ultimately pisses me off. I didn't get to choose my outcome, bioware chose it for me. I feel like I have wasted 5 years of my life playing these games, and now I wish I never played the 3rd one. I feel all who played it have been cheated. Unless Bioware puts in a DLC that fixes this horrible ending they will never get another dime from me as they have lost me as a fan and customer. FIX IT BIOWARE!!! Expand
  6. Mar 8, 2012
    People do not listen to the trolls, I can guarantee they haven't even played this game or any of the Mass Effect games. Mass Effect 3 is an amazing, breathtaking, epic, emotional journey that deserves to be in the list of the greatest games ever made.
  7. Mar 9, 2012
    Mass Effect Trilogy

Explained with the help of a bunch of apples. Imagine if i had one apple, this represnts mass effect 1, its all gravy but its clear it could get better. Imagine if i had two apples, this represents mass effect 2, its made some great improvements and despite some unvaried level design its a great game. Now imagine if i gave you no apples and TOOK A **** ON YOUR
    Mass Effect Trilogy

Explained with the help of a bunch of apples.

Now imagine if i gave you no apples and TOOK A **** ON YOUR FACE.

This represents mass effect 3, it actually manages to destroy what made it successfull ala modern warfare 3.
    How a team of people actually **** up so MONUMENTALLY, is beyond me.

In fact its simple there target market has become wider than a hookers oriface and also as ****ING FILTHY AS ONE. DAY ONE DLC, NO CHOICES, EVERYTHINGS ****ING IRRELIVENT, CANNON PLOT,CANNON ROMANCES, SPACE BROKEBACK ****ING MOUNTAIN, AUTO **** IN MY FACE DIALOGUE, THE CAST FROM JERSEY ****ING SHORE, GEARS OF WARS HORD MODE.

IF YOU ACTUALLY SQUINT ALL THE WAY THROUGH ITS KIND OF LIKE A SPACE BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN GEARS OF WHORES.

YOU FOOL ME ONCE SHAME ON YOU.
    YOU FOOL ME TWICE SHAME ON ME.

THIS YEAR HAS MADE ME REALISE THAT COD FRANCHISE AND BIOWARE IN GENERALLY AFTER ****ING UP TO MAJOR FRANCHISES, ITLL BE THREE SOON WHEN THEY PUT PINK ****ING ARMY MEN IN COMMAND AND **** YOURSELF. THEY CAN ALL SUCK MY RINGO STAR.
  8. Mar 8, 2012
    Most of the game is amazing:
    -Good combat
    -Great atmosphere -Amazingly done little details -A lot of very emotional moments -Some of the toughest and most heart wrenching decisions I've had to make -Thoroughly addicting and enjoyable (until the end). So-so stuff: -Slightly too much autodialogue. Not a huge deal though. -Effect of many previous choices given mention but not explicitly
    Most of the game is amazing:
    -Good combat
    -Great atmosphere
    -Amazingly done little details
    -A lot of very emotional moments
    So-so stuff:
    -Slightly too much autodialogue. Not a huge deal though.
    -Effect of many previous choices given mention but not explicitly detailed, left to your imagination (works for some)
    -Dialogue ranges from great to cringe inducing

The horrible:
    -Ending is some of the worst writing/storytelling of all time. NOT because it is a "sad" ending. Because it comes out of nowhere and makes no sense. It would take an essay to detail everything that is wrong with it. 90% of the game is awesome. By that measure, I could give it a 9/10. But endings are important.

Worth buying and playing.
  9. Mar 8, 2012
    This game is such a massive disappointment. It was not worth the wait. Animations are still clunky. Humans still look horrible. Lazy usage of stock images. Forced drama at every turn. Why bother? Don't buy this game.
  10. Mar 8, 2012
    My goal here is not to disuade anyone from buying the game. I do however wish to let every fan, who from day 1, invested time and emotional connection to your character know this: you will walk away absurdly disappointed. You couldn't live with yourself not knowing the conclusion but know this...It is the most lazy, ill conceived slap in the face conclusion ever conceived. I cannot expressMy goal here is not to disuade anyone from buying the game. I do however wish to let every fan, who from day 1, invested time and emotional connection to your character know this: you will walk away absurdly disappointed. You couldn't live with yourself not knowing the conclusion but know this...It is the most lazy, ill conceived slap in the face conclusion ever conceived. I cannot express in words eloquently enough my disdain. The gameplay is improved, the graphics more polished, and you even have some real connection with your character and crew. But I am telling you, the conclusion undermines all of the relationships you've worked on for the last 5 years. For actual gameplay and enjoyment I would say it's on par with the critics, 9/10. But when you factor in that the whole point of the series, the culmination of all your work, is swept out from under you in one fell blow....well... It stands to reason that I'm giving this a 4/10. You(Bioware) cannot ask us(fans) to invest hard earned money and, if your like me, time probably better vested in family activities (I just couldnt put it down...sorry kids!) just to hand us an ending that 1.) Was ripped from another game, 2.) Gives no real choice(all the endings are essentially the same), and 3.) Answers nothing! In fact it leaves more questions than actually answers. So do buy it, just wait until you can get it pre-owned, or it's marked down. I'm going to gamestop tomorrow to trade in my copy, maybe give someone the chance to feel how empty and pointless their 120+ hour, 5 year journey is. And that's how I truly feel folks. One more thing, to the people hating the haters...I tried. Okay! I have loved my Shepard since I created her 5 years ago. The zeros, yeah, little much I agree. But there is no way the improved gameplay, better levels, and enemies( I have died a whole lot more in this one) can make up for Bioware completely dropping the selling point and ruining the end. Choices! Because the little ones just aren't as impacting as the grand finale...and we don't really have any choices there, my friend. Expand
  11. Mar 8, 2012
    If you have developed ANY sort of attachment to this series, be prepared to be extremely disappointed. Mass Effect 3 is a beautiful game, a testament to the industry, and worth every penny, but you will, ultimately, be let down. Before launch, BioWare assured its fanbase that the ending would be just that: an ending to Shepard's story, that all the questions would be answered, and that theIf you have developed ANY sort of attachment to this series, be prepared to be extremely disappointed. Mass Effect 3 is a beautiful game, a testament to the industry, and worth every penny, but you will, ultimately, be let down. Before launch, BioWare assured its fanbase that the ending would be just that: an ending to Shepard's story, that all the questions would be answered, and that the majority of fans would be pleased with the direction they took. This simply isn't true. The final scene is akin to the Deus Ex: Human Revolution "push a button" ending. It is a huge disappointment to an otherwise brilliant magnum opus. While your 'war assets' (a mechanic that keeps track of how well you're doing in preparation for the final assault) will play a small role in the multiple endings possible, you will not readily see the effects. The ending sequence is convoluted and cringe-worthy, breaking completely with the Mass Effect universe as a whole. BioWare chose an artsy sort of direction for the third installment and, frankly, it just does not fit with the first and second games at all. If anything, the ending will raise MORE questions. The decisions some characters make in-game during these last scenes are, well, extremely uncharacteristic. The secret clip after the credits is just insulting.

Despite the atrocious ending, the writing is otherwise in tip-top shape: many lines will bring a smile or a laugh, characters (despite the above) feel completely real, and the various sacrifices and hard decisions the game confronts you with will, in fact, hurt. The choices made in ME1 and ME2 will effect gameplay, but not in the hugely drastic way fans speculated. Familiar faces will return, old names will be dropped, even the squad's roles from ME2's Suicide Mission will be mentioned.
    Gorgeous lighting removes the Neanderthal faces Shepard and many characters had at times in ME2. Textures and graphics as a whole seem to be slightly less sharp, but this is offset by the new lighting, creating a beautiful atmosphere and a truly believable world. Combat is relatively smooth and every class can now carry whatever weapons the player desires, utilizing a weight system. The more guns (or the heavier they are) Shepard carries, the longer power cool-downs are. Guns can be upgraded and modded to fit a specific play style.
    Planet scanning and resource mining returns to a degree, but this mechanic is much less tedious. You now search for "war assets" to assist in the final battle. Large action set pieces are fun and engaging (despite a few oddly placed turret sections) and will leave lasting impressions. Several of these set pieces are the epitome of epic.

However, in a bizarre fit of back-tracking, BioWare has largely removed conversation options: it seems Shepard now runs the show, rather than the player acting through Shepard. Auto-dialogue is rampant. You will have an opportunity to say something for every three or eight lines Shepard says on his or her own, if given the option at all. The dialogue wheel has largely been reduced to two options, mainly Paragon and Renegade and the occasional Investigate and left-side Charm/Intimidate (and I really do mean "occasional"). Paragon seems to no longer mean "good" and Renegade no longer implies "evil", rather "diplomatic" and "direct", respectively. This new system presents a glaringly obvious illusion of choice in most cases: you're confronted with two slightly different ways of saying the same exact thing. Trigger Interrupts make a return and are still satisfying, but again, not in force as they were previously. The new Reputation system is a welcome change.
    Squadmates now usually engage in one-liners with Shepard (those familiar with Mass Effect 2's DLC characters will understand). This is disappointing on many levels. Because of the reduced squad size, we were promised increased interaction, and this, a teammate saying "Hey" and "Krogan sure are fierce, huh?" does not qualify as such. In some cases, Shepard responds. Do you have the option to chose what to say? No.

It feels as though Shepard is no longer an in-game personification of the player or a specific roleplay set-up. Shepard's responses can severely break character with whatever the player has developed. A previously down-right evil, real piece of work Shepard seems to very nearly tear up over the death of some random child during the opening sequence. And you don't get to decide how to respond. You're stuck with this character, rather than your own creation. My Shepards no longer feel "mine", I feel like I'm playing another game, with some other hero saving the galaxy. It is hurtful to know something one has placed hundreds of hours of one's life into has essentially been crushed.

This game is not 10 material, but it is certainly not a 0. Do not trust extremist reviews, whether critic or user: the only way to know for certain how you feel about this game is to play it yourself.
  12. Mar 8, 2012
    The culmination of a great series which has as the greatest disappointment that it is actually coming to an end! This is a game of amazing choice with only a semi-linear path from Mass Effect. through Mass Effect 2 and 3. Definitely the most defining game series that I have played with peerless Combat/RPG elements and a Grand Scale yet emotionally moving and relevant storyline. BiowareThe culmination of a great series which has as the greatest disappointment that it is actually coming to an end! This is a game of amazing choice with only a semi-linear path from Mass Effect. through Mass Effect 2 and 3. Definitely the most defining game series that I have played with peerless Combat/RPG elements and a Grand Scale yet emotionally moving and relevant storyline. Bioware deserves every accolade for having the vision and ability to craft this series from beginning to end. I have to say from a Metacritic's point of view that I'm dismayed by the consumer backlash on here which appears to be mostly out of spite regarding jealousy and dismay over Day 1 DLC. Childish IMHO! This is a great game and deserves to be reviewed without the flame war! The gaming world would be far poorer without Bioware's input Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the worst of the trilogy. They have simplified them as they progressed, and the writing's quality has degraded at an even faster pace. They just stopped putting in the effort and it shows. Expand
  14. Mar 8, 2012
    So I thought the game was pretty good. I found the combat to be less repetative then the last game and required some more tactics. Also the game does a good job of setting up the mood and maintaining that feeling of desperation. My only problem seems to be the same problem everyone else has with this game and that is the endings, they are far too simple and give no real explanation whatsoever.
  15. Mar 8, 2012
    The Story arch is not a fitting end to the series.
    Multiplayer is a requirement for unlocking 25% of the ending content.
    The weapon choices are 75% useless. 1-2 best choices in every category. Battles are heavily scripted and generally very good, occasionally scripting problems, like enemies popping into existence. Plot relies heavily on cut scenes, which are often extremely frustrating
    The Story arch is not a fitting end to the series.
    Multiplayer is a requirement for unlocking 25% of the ending content.
    The weapon choices are 75% useless. 1-2 best choices in every category.
    Plot relies heavily on cut scenes, which are often extremely frustrating and invalidate player choices.
    Bioware keeps currency mini-game which is often nonsensical.
    Pacing is awful. No sense of urgency. Game often punishes player for not performing fed-ex style quests.
    RPG system feels tacked on to a mediocre shooter.
  16. Mar 9, 2012
    What happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to trulyWhat happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to truly write at all. Plot holes opening up all around you and with the endings ripped off from Deus Ex makes me wonder what exactly Bioware/EA were thinking when the final script was approved. The endings completely go against the spirit of the series and more than that they are all essentially the same my making every other choice up to that point completely null. I find it even more offensive that almost all of the RPG elements have become so watered down as to be unrecognisable. The conversation wheel which longtime fans of the series such as myself have come to know and love rarely shows up now. And even when it does all it offers is two ways to say the same thing. Even worse, your choices in the previous two make no really substantial difference in this entry either. Even the illusion of choice is gone. You almost don't get to converse with your crew at all. Instead your interaction is mostly limited to selecting them like you do with Zaeed Massani in ME2 and they talk a little bit while you just stand there. This becomes a big problem because ME3 throws in with no real introduction or background characters who are completely new or have only been featured in the Expanded Universe. I like the voice acting and appreciate that the world feels more alive now with background characters talking to one another when you walk by, that is when the sound doesn't drop out. It's unfortunate that the coders haven't learned anything, all the cut scene glitches are back in full force. Including the one where everyone uses the same assault rifle during the cut scene, regardless of whether or not they can even use one. It's nice to see all characters from the first two one last time, a little family reunion if you will. It's a shame that almost none of them will be joining your squad again. I do like the direction ground combat has taken though the removal of heavy weapons is another negative in my book. The day one DLC feels more like game content that was cut out rather than an actual add on. And having this nearly story essential DLC on day one is just plain greedy.

Mostly though I just can't get around the endings. It feels like a punch in the gut to those of us who were big fans of the first two. It's so out of left field that I almost expect M. Night Shyamalan to be responsible for this travesty. It's almost like ending The Lord of the Rings with Frodo riding a nuke into Barad-dûr with a cowboy hat on. I almost wish it would have been a Dallas-"It was all a dream" ending.
  17. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ugh, where to begin.
    day 1 dlc with its 2012 and it looks like a launch title for the 360
    characters are extremely one dimensional, and never show any sign of development
    all choice in the game was between red or blue text in a convo
    well at least the series is over, and they can't hype it up more. although I'm sure they will find a way to milk this IP for years to come.
  18. Mar 8, 2012
    What can I say that hasn't already been said? The game is a masterpiece. It is flawless. It is the apex of artistic achievement. While it is true that nothing is perfect I think this comes as close as possible to perfection and thus the only possible score I can give it is a 10 since its minor imperfections would only take away mere decimals from its score.

Where to begin? The story, the

Where to begin? The story, the universe, established by this franchise is tremendous in its detail and scope. Its on par if not better than the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek in terms of its sheer size and detail. There is so much to do and so much to learn. Even more so now than in previous games. In terms of its conclusion to the tale of Shepard, there are no complaints whatsoever. Every loose end is tied up, every question is answered and there are absolutely no plot holes, regardless of your choices in the previous installments. And yet all of these choices do play some sort of role, leaving us to wonder just how meticulous and neurotic the writing team at Bioware must be. More power to them because such an intricate plot line which adapts to your every move really is a monumental achievement. The game play is another high point. Unlike most RPGs, the combat does not take a back seat in any way, only improving on the impressive precedent set by Mass Effect 2. It plays like a thrilling action game while maintaining its RPG focus. There are more powers to learn, more guns to find, an improved melee system, more challenging enemies to fight, and simply a lot more fun to be had. What more could you want? The characters and dialogue are another high point. Most major characters from the previous games will make some sort of appearance (assuming they survived) and it is a joy to see your favorites once again. There are a lot more options in regards to relationships which can be developed in new and interesting ways. The dialogue is often witty and sharp and at times quite heavy and intense. Some scenes will pull at your heartstrings with a surprising intensity, packing a serious emotional sucker punch. These are often a direct result of your choices, carrying even more weight as a result.

Perhaps the biggest change to the Mass Effect formula is the addition of multilayer. These matches are quite a bit of fun, keeping the strategic feel of the single player while integrating the thrill of the human factor. It is at times reminiscent of classic multilayer crowd pleasers such as Gears of War which is certainly a tremendous accomplishment. In the end, while the game does have a few technical kinks here and there, Mass Effect 3 is an unforgettable experience and monumental accomplishment in complex gameplay, captivating storytelling and smart dialogue as well as many other things. It truly is a fitting end to the epic saga of the legendary Commander Shepard.
  19. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just start off by saying i don't give a damn about the co-op, the single player has always been what I've purchased the game for (so this is a review of the single player). I've owned every single mass effect game since the very first one and i must have replayed them at least 4 times each (excluding this one) to get the perfect ending so that it could transition the perfect way into the next game. i even re-bought them on the computer so i could relive them again and make even better choices for the next game. the problem with this game is the fact that most and yes i mean MOST of the choices you've made throughout the previous games are either changed in the case of the Councillor i chose or completely discarded in the case of almost everything else. starting up this game i was really annoyed that they completely removed the idea that the (now) Admiral Anderson was ever the Councillor (and that's who i chose because Udina is a prick) it just erases you're choice and assumes you chose Udina so that he could betray you. as for the conversation mechanic (i first noticed this in the conversation with the illusive man where he decides he wants to control the reapers) the dialogue options are no longer choices to be made, it is just choosing how you word you're response (with only a few exceptions that don't really matter during the course of the game like: cure the Genophage or tell people you cured the Genophage and everyone belives you, like you cured the Genophage!), there is no more save him/ kill him its now "tell him to leave/ yell at him he needs to leave" and that continued to bug the living hell out of me for the rest of the game. as for the paragon/ renegade levels i despised the fact that you cant use a mixture, you go heavily one way or heavily the other, otherwise you dont have a high enough level of them to do anything with them starting about half-way through the game. not to mention that there we're a grand total of 0 paragon/renegade choices or interrupts that made a difference throughout the game ie: Kia Leng, he stabs at you, renegade interrupt you break his sword and then stab him and then say something/ no interrupt he misses and you stab him saying the same thing and doing the same motion as before. the followers were a disappointment as-well; just seeing alot of the followers and not being able to use them, or even see them more than once or twice throughout the game (excluding the last level where u see all of them, one at a time through a projector in a little conversation where there is one dialogue option each like: encourage/ remind what is at stake) and the fact that they killed off several of my favorite followers without giving me a choice to do anything about it really REALLY destroyed alot of enjoyment for me. one choice that i remember makes a difference is one between two followers. Tali and Legion, whichever one you choose wins, and the other one (along with their entire species) dies and there is no way to mediate it is very straight- forward "pick me or all the Geth die/ pick me or all the Quarians die" personally i went with tali and i guess that was the "good" choice but i felt like an **** because all the Geth had just said something along the lines of "Hey bro we're gonna help you out because your'e nice n'stuff" so i respond with "kill all Geth. as for the ending of the game, it took a grand total of ONE choice from the game (excluding the ending choice itself) and slapped it in there not any choices from any other game in the series but the one choice that made a difference the one Tali Vs. Legion, and guess how they acknowledged it, when the HD cut scene ends it shows the Normandy crash after being hit with a blue or red explosion (depends on the ending you chose), joker get out, and then your choice gets out... that's it. as for the ending choice itself you have the choice "between wiping out all synthetic life (and dying)" or "controlling the reapers(and dying)" and the only difference between them is: (control) the reapers get hit by a bluish explosion thing and then fly away / (destroy) the reapers get hit by a reddish explosion and fall over. overall it made for a very anti-climactic end to the series (or at least the Shepherd part of the series) Expand
  20. Mar 8, 2012
    Here we go again Bioware. In an attempt to appeal to the masses you alienate the base. Brushing aside my problems with character loads, glicthces, game play and lackluster story development, you decide to go the way of political correctness and interject as much Homo mumbo jumbo into it as possible to appeal to a niche audience. Simply ridiculous that the gaming industry (long immune toHere we go again Bioware. In an attempt to appeal to the masses you alienate the base. Brushing aside my problems with character loads, glicthces, game play and lackluster story development, you decide to go the way of political correctness and interject as much Homo mumbo jumbo into it as possible to appeal to a niche audience. Simply ridiculous that the gaming industry (long immune to this type of BS) have finally decided to sell out. This is the last dollar you get from me. Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Forget most of the things that made the first game great and the second game decent. Gone is the excellent interaction with your squad (but you can improve it if you spend $200 on a Kinect!). The Tali reveal is just a photo on your desk, not an in-game character graphic showing her face. Instead of going with what made the series great, they're trying to catch the players who love first-person shooter multiplayer games, quick cash grabs with pay-for content on the release date, etc. Hey maybe they'll release some interaction with Tali without her suit if only you spend some extra $$$.

I honestly don't know how Bioware became so disconnected from what has made their games great for the last 15 years. I've purchased and played almost every game that they've published: Baldur's Gate (1 and 2, plus expansions), Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2, and expansions), Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age (1 and 2, plus expansions), Mass Effect (1 and 2, plus expansions).

I'm not saying they don't deserve to make money, but can they really be so clueless as to not realize how their longtime fans would react to pay-to-play content available on the release date of the game?! Releasing that content for free would have been the equivalent of free positive advertising, instead of the negativity that it did generate. Unless they remember what made their games great, and realize that making great games, first and foremost, will lead to great sales, I probably won't be playing any more of their games.
  22. Mar 8, 2012
    ...to kill a whole trilogy with one stupid final ending must be a new record of gaming history. Ever choice you did has TOTALY no effect or even a little tiny side effect of the ending.....gj Bioware...you proof yourself worthy to EA
  23. Mar 8, 2012
    Everything about this game proves Bioware's crowning achievement. It takes everything right about the previous games and betters them, and fixes all the technical issues. The combat is better than it's ever been, there are fewer technical issues. The writing is once again brilliant. Applaud Bioware, folks, they have done it again.
  24. Mar 8, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 delivers in all respects. This game is truly firing on all cylinders, gameplay, characterization, plotting, action, everything! I fail to understand all the negative ratings, that really seem to be more out of spite that the game didn't fit into what were there preconceived "notions" than actual reasonable criticisms of the game itself. Because, let's face it people, MassMass Effect 3 delivers in all respects. This game is truly firing on all cylinders, gameplay, characterization, plotting, action, everything! I fail to understand all the negative ratings, that really seem to be more out of spite that the game didn't fit into what were there preconceived "notions" than actual reasonable criticisms of the game itself. Because, let's face it people, Mass Effect 3 probably won't be topped again in 2012. Or 2013. Or 2014. Etc. Releasing dlc on the release date of the game is a money grab, but it doesn't make the game bad. The number of fallacies that contradicts is astounding. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2012
    WOW. That is the only word capable of summing up my feelings. People who compare this to Call of Duty have a few screws loose. Such a comparison is insufferable, as this game is so far ahead of anything Infinity Ward has ever made that it's unbelievable.
  26. Mar 24, 2012
    I beg everyone to go and watch the indoctrination theory it was nothing short of mind blowing. I understand why people have given this game 0 and 1 for the ending, but the fact is they (most likely) have been playing the game on the most physical and ultimately shallow level. Please watch this video it really made me rethink my previous rating of a 7, and realize what this series wasI beg everyone to go and watch the indoctrination theory it was nothing short of mind blowing. I understand why people have given this game 0 and 1 for the ending, but the fact is they (most likely) have been playing the game on the most physical and ultimately shallow level. Please watch this video it really made me rethink my previous rating of a 7, and realize what this series was really about. It gave it purpose again. I promise you it will make you look at the game in a completely different light. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck Expand
  27. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics: 9/10
    Controls:9/10
    Replay: 9/10
    Story: 5/10

I've played every ME since it came out back in '07. I remember buying the collectors edition when I was a senior in high school and putting more time into that game than Oblivion. I am truly invested in the series and have likened it to the star wars of my time. Now, as a senior in college, I've spent far more hours than I should have replaying both to truly get the fullest experience I can out of this series. I love each character and have never been more connected to these fictional individuals. This is the first time I've ever written a review on any game, usually I don't have the time for it. This game has really given me mixed emotions. Those of you who have completed the game understand where most of the anger is coming from, but all have to agree that overall it is a great capstone to a groundbreaking series. The graphics are crisp, controls are far tighter than that of ME 1 or 2, and most of the story is rock solid. My first major disappointment with the game was my inability to have my custom character properly port into ME 3. I had the same character, whose appearance I agonized over in ME 1, since the beginning and was hugely let down by this bug. Hopefully Bioware will find a fix, but its a poor way to initially start. Everything else is great as I stated above, but when that final 10 minutes roles through I was speechless. A game that I invested alot of time and energy in left me with mixed emotions when the credits rolled. My character maintained a LI with Ashley from the first game, something I was hugely excited for. I wanted to see this relationship evolve and grow and it did for the most part. The end threw this completely out the window. I have no knowledge of what happened to her or any of my other squad-mates, just a lack luster CGI video that's 90% the same, with minor endings (that last couple of seconds is wonderful if you get the perfect ending), but its anticlimactic. I'm not a juvenile so I don't expect happy endings, but closure would be nice. I'd be fine if Shepard, whose life I sculpted over 3 games and had the privilege to be involved in, lived or died. Its just upsetting that 3 ridiculous decisions that came way out of left field serve as the ending. For those few who read this completely just know that you should most certainly play the game. Its a treasure and one of the most powerful media experiences I've had short of the Terminator 2 ending (haha). Don't let that last five minutes dissuade you from enjoying the fruits of your labor, as Bioware ties up just about everything very well. Thane's story was quite touching as was Legion's and most assuredly Mordin. The memorial wall in the Normandy is also a nice touch. But please, if someone from Bioware reads this, or if someone else sees this, know that the ending greatly disappointed me. Instead of being an end, clear cut, it left me with more questions and over analysis. Overall its a wonderful game, but it seems that those story leaks earlier in the development phase really took a toll. It really seems like the ending was just thrown in there as a quick fix. Good gaming everyone and thanks for reading one guy's opinion.
  28. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was excited about Mass Effect 3 since the day I heard about it, and wanted to see how the series would end. Once I got the game, I was happy and managed to get a large amount of enjoyment from it. (For the most part) The game-play was solid and fun, there a lot of enjoyable and memorable moments in the story that brought a smile to my face, The music is great as always, most of the environments were eye-catching, and I had alot of fun with multiplayer as well.; All of these made the game wonderful and memorable experience for me. Not to say the game doesn't have problems it does (most have been mentioned such as the animation problems, bad dialogue at times, only two options dialogue options for most of the game etc.) most of them were minor and excusable for me as overall I was having a wonderful time with the game. The game has problems, most i was willing to forgive and forget because I was enjoying the overall experience and was very much immersed without being bothered by these flaws. However, if there was one problem that I had with the game that I was unable to forgive it's the game's conclusion that nearly ruined that game for me. Without trying to spoil anything, I found the ending of Mass Effect 3 to be incredibly disappointing and inexcusable. Why? Well, from this reviewer's viewpoint (along with many others I believe) It doesn't give the game (or the gamer) any sort of closure and makes all the progress and choices made in not only this game but as well as the two prequels, mean nothing. I found myself at a loss of words on the way game ended (There are 3 endings, each with minor variations but I found it mattered very little either way because each of the endings end the same way.)

So yeah, I liked Mass Effect 3 and I found it to be a good game with some wonderful and memorable moments but along with some hiccups, flaws, and a very disappointing conclusion(s). The thing is that I expected to be a great game and wanted to love it! But the game's ending(s) prevented me from saying so. It's a good game had me immersed and engaged for a majority of the game but it's not perfect and has it's flaws. I don't think it is deserving of 0/10 but that's just my two-cents.
  29. Mar 8, 2012
    this game is a step down from both previous games in the series. the writing is cheesy without trying to be, the new character james is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a video game, i found plenty of bugs, and the combat is stale. i'd be lying if i said i didn't have ANY fun but overall it's not worth the money or time put in. idk what the hell happened, but theythis game is a step down from both previous games in the series. the writing is cheesy without trying to be, the new character james is one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a video game, i found plenty of bugs, and the combat is stale. i'd be lying if i said i didn't have ANY fun but overall it's not worth the money or time put in. idk what the hell happened, but they seriously need to find new writers. how you have the selling point of a highly successful series seem like an afterthought is beyond me. buy it from the bargain bin one day, it'll be right next to dragon age 2 Expand
  30. Mar 8, 2012
    Where do I begin..."Never before have so many species come together..." Mass Effect 3 fills all of the hopes, dreams, and imaginations of everyone who started the the series back in 2007. Bioware has done an amazing job by perfecting combat, exploration, and choice. I have never been influenced or touched by game-design to point where virtual characters have an effect on my humanWhere do I begin..."Never before have so many species come together..." Mass Effect 3 fills all of the hopes, dreams, and imaginations of everyone who started the the series back in 2007. Bioware has done an amazing job by perfecting combat, exploration, and choice. I have never been influenced or touched by game-design to point where virtual characters have an effect on my human emotions. Whoever has played Mass Effect 1 & 2 needs no need of reading this...because they have already experienced the same events I have..

N7 Recruits......good luck

-"Shepard Out"....
  31. Mar 8, 2012
    A remarkable game in every way...... except for the endings, every single one is bad, and your choices end up not mattering. Truly a disappointment of a monumental scale. BUT I still give a 9 because everything up until the last 10 min was the single greatest game i have ever played.
  32. Mar 8, 2012
    quite possibly the definitive action RPG of this generation, Mass effect 3 is astounding when it comes to visuals, combat, voice acting and especially story. I encountered no bugs or glitches and was glued to the teli for 3 days trying to wrap up this masterpiece and what a glorious ending it was
  33. Mar 9, 2012
    Just to give some perspective, its not a 0 or a 1 nor is it 9 or a 10

Graphics- Above average some unpolished animations but not completely horrendous Gameplay-again above average , NOWHERE near Gears of war or Vanquish I would say about the same level as Uncharted 3 Sound- Again above average nothing amazing or memorable but its not rubbish either Story- this is where it gets dicey your
    Just to give some perspective, its not a 0 or a 1 nor is it 9 or a 10

Story- this is where it gets dicey your CHOICES impact parts of the game in some interesting ways but the ending is essentially the same regardless of what you do. The ending is very very disappointing and a bit of a kick in the n*ts I have no desire to replay it. Its on the level of crappiness as Lost and The matrix trilogies, there is no closure and brings up more questions. I would advise long term mass effect fans to hold on to their money and wait for a price drop or buy secondhand you owe to yourself to finish this trilogy, but don"t go in with high expectations. In many ways its a lot like Dragon age 2 a massive disappointment as far as its predecessors are concerned but a decent game nonetheless

And yes the DLC issue is messed up the character you get in my opinion is one of the best and explains quite alot, get it if you are a fan skip if you don"t care for the lore
  34. Mar 9, 2012
    I was a big fan of Bioware ever since KOTOR but i'm afraid that ever since they paired up with EA they've been making poor choices and as much as i loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 i have to say ME3 is the biggest disappointment in all the video games i have played. I actually really enjoyed the game up until the ending part that really makes me wish i never played it. All the endings are superI was a big fan of Bioware ever since KOTOR but i'm afraid that ever since they paired up with EA they've been making poor choices and as much as i loved Mass Effect 1 and 2 i have to say ME3 is the biggest disappointment in all the video games i have played. I actually really enjoyed the game up until the ending part that really makes me wish i never played it. All the endings are super depressing which means all the decisions you made in this game and last two games were pretty much useless, don"t even get me started with the day 1 DLC. Expand
  35. Mar 9, 2012
    Epic is an understatement. I have played through both Mass Effect games and this third and final installment is simply the best out there. The way every choice you've made impacts the storyline, the way the game looks, the perfected combat, the optimized menus, the return of some old characters, even the emotional impact the game makes is phenomenal. Mind that I haven't even mentioned theEpic is an understatement. I have played through both Mass Effect games and this third and final installment is simply the best out there. The way every choice you've made impacts the storyline, the way the game looks, the perfected combat, the optimized menus, the return of some old characters, even the emotional impact the game makes is phenomenal. Mind that I haven't even mentioned the super-fun multiplayer mode yet. When it was announced, I doubted that multiplayer would work in a singleplayer game like Mass Effect, but it is brilliant and addictive. Moreover, it ties into and impacts the storyline of your singleplayer adventure, and it is of the same quality of the singleplayer. Big props to BioWare for pulling this off. The expectations were mile high, and yet they delivered. I'd recommend anyone to buy this game. Every core gamer that takes itself seriously MUST buy this game. Expand
  36. Mar 9, 2012
    This game was a clear 10/10 until I hit the atrocious, horrible, space magic and pixie dust endings. Seriously, you expect us to make a second play through with a knee to the groin ending? Returning the game to gamestop and I will feel lucky if they give me a buck for it. I am going to pretend they never made ME3. Seriously wait till this game is in the 5 dollar range or rent it.
  37. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you haven't played the game, why are you giving it a review?

Having played ME1 & ME2, ME3 was a COMPLETE AND UTTER LETDOWN. My choices from previous games obviously didn't matter. Gameplay was only marginally refined over ME2. Character animation was still "off." Character development was only cursory in most cases. Story progression was there, to a point, then it simply dropped off the map. Did the writers forget this is the conclusion to an EPIC storyline? Having played the first two, I can honestly say I'd have been better off by 1) by not having played Me1 & ME2 or 2) not having bothered with ME3 and just read some fanfic. I'm not even concerned with the DLC issue (that wasn't an ideal situation, but meh). What disgusts me is the years and countless hours that went into this series, both in development and fanbase terms, and it was all for naught. If I had wanted all my money, time, effort and emotional investment to boil down into three ridiculous choices I'd have skipped ME3. I'd honestly have been better served by dusting off my DEM:GOTYE, reinstalling it, and playing it. Gay/Lesbian romance? Didn't bother me (and I'm straight), but shoehorning in a homosexual romance when none previously existed absolutely reeked of political scheming. The storyline was okay through most of the game, but was lacking in the depth and scope of its predecessors. For any other developer, this wouldn't be an issue, but for Bioware, known for its incredible writing, this is unforgivable. NONE of the endings ties into the Mass Effect series. It's nothing more than a blatant attempt to pass off laziness as quality work. I'm not asking for an ending where everyone lives and is holding hands, skipping through a meadow of daisies, singing "It's a Wonderful World." What I am asking for is some sort of thought process to be used. Who believed this was a good idea to shaft the fanbase/revenue-producer like this? I'm thoroughly disappointed with Mass Effect 3. This was a pitiful attempt to capitalize on two previous games (both incredible in their depth and scope) by half-stepping to the finish line...and I was suckered into the lie. Way to take an EPIC story/franchise and drive it straight into the ground. Obviously EA's influence has rubbed off. Shame on you Bioware. Shame on you.
  38. Mar 9, 2012
    In an early area in Mass Effect 3, you enter a group of rooms in the Citadel. There are over 40 NPCs there. You can talk with exactly two characters, overhear a conversation between one other pair, and, for the rest of the 40some NPCs, you can stand next to them, while they do nothing. Like Dragon Age 2, this game's not finished. The world's empty and cold, even though there are tons ofIn an early area in Mass Effect 3, you enter a group of rooms in the Citadel. There are over 40 NPCs there. You can talk with exactly two characters, overhear a conversation between one other pair, and, for the rest of the 40some NPCs, you can stand next to them, while they do nothing. Like Dragon Age 2, this game's not finished. The world's empty and cold, even though there are tons of NPCs around. It feels lonely, even when it's full of what should and could be life. Expand
  39. Mar 9, 2012
    Semplicemente me3 non è all'altezza dei primi due capitoli , la storia fa schifo e il fatto che le proprie scelte non influenzino la storia pernulla è orribile .
    Grazie EA per aver rovinato pure ME3 .
  40. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For starters, I have been a fan of the Mass Effect series since the first game released, I became so involved with Shepard and his crew that I would spend hrs on end replaying and getting perfect endings, the major change in the third title was the idea of multiplayer which helps you in singleplayer with military assets, but I did not do that for i felt it made the game easier.

I like a challenge and Bioware sure as hell gave us one, throughout this game the set pieces of nearly being taken out by huge squads of reapers is at times insane, that final push to the beam to enter the citadel was shockingly brutal, finding out that the illusive man was also right, that was even more shocking, but nothing prepared me for seeing shep sacrifice himself as he remembers joker,anderson and others, yes tears were shed, and i replayed this immense tragic story to it's heartbreaking end again, I wanted so bad to save edi , joker was so happy with her and she died so I felt horrible, and when legion died , i lost it.

yes the masses say this title is bad, but they have never put enough time into this series like the true fans have, we love this series. This was the only way to end the series in my eyes, if they release a new one I would play it but I never would feel as much as I did with shep, and yes I think the child was sheps son or possibly him, I will remember this game series as the best I ever played and hope that the ones bashing it will realize they were wrong.
    mass effect 3 is goty
  41. Mar 9, 2012
    The game simply falls short of expectation. If ME3 was a standalone game, it would be deserving of an 8 or 9, but Bioware had many reusable assets from the previous two games (engine, textures, character models, etc.), and it felt like all they did was add new dialogue to complete the trilogy. - Huge plot holes from the beginning
    - $10 DLC that's worth about $2 and should have been
    - $10 DLC that's worth about $2 and should have been included with the game
    - Lack of character depth left me not caring about deaths
    - Reaper interaction was extremely limited
    - The galaxy, citadel, and things to do felt smaller than the previous games
    - 26 hours including DLC, side missions, and war assets

This game could have been a lot more. I'm not hating on the series. I loved it as a whole, but the final installment left me feeling indifferent and was not the climactic ending I was anticipating. Perhaps I let the hype build my expectations too high, but I think it has more to do with the game being stripped of mechanics with each installment and publishers wanting to crank out profits every 1-2 years rather than letting developers invest time on quality.
  42. Mar 28, 2012
    The only true thing that should ever be fixed about Mass Effect 3 is not just the end but the last mission. The whole last hour of the game seems rushed and unfinished whereas the rest of the game is well done. Adding a new ending wont change the fact they released the game with this ending and people wont forget they can forgive but not forget.
  43. Mar 9, 2012
    I started an account just to let you know the the 500+ negative reviews for this game are about 95% fraudulent. They were written by angry basement dwellers who are so mad about the fact that BioWare has the nerve to charge them $10 for DLC on release date. DLC they would have happily shelled out whatever Bioware and EA are asking, if it had been released 3 months after the game it's self.I started an account just to let you know the the 500+ negative reviews for this game are about 95% fraudulent. They were written by angry basement dwellers who are so mad about the fact that BioWare has the nerve to charge them $10 for DLC on release date. DLC they would have happily shelled out whatever Bioware and EA are asking, if it had been released 3 months after the game it's self. People who are saying the dialogue is bad or the controls are sub par or the witting is awful have obviously not played this game AT ALL! I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but Mass Effect 3 is better written than 90% of movies released in the last 5 years. I'm willing to bet most of these people haven't even played the game. They're so worked up about their meaningless, 1st world problems (you don't HAVE to buy it. You can wait till it goes on sale in 2-3 months) that they don't realize the only people they're cheating is themselves. Shame. Expand
  44. Mar 9, 2012
    Everyone who is giving this game a very low score has the same, silly issue with this incredible finale; they came into this game with preconceived notions about how they wanted it to end. You're fighting a vastly overwhelming force with little hope from the get go, I personally would have been unhappy if BW introduced some "magic fix" that allowed you to somehow effectively battle everyEveryone who is giving this game a very low score has the same, silly issue with this incredible finale; they came into this game with preconceived notions about how they wanted it to end. You're fighting a vastly overwhelming force with little hope from the get go, I personally would have been unhappy if BW introduced some "magic fix" that allowed you to somehow effectively battle every reaper you come across. They didn't, so lots of people are raging.
    ME3 has the best character development of the series, almost guaranteeing that you develop strong emotional attachments to many of your characters. And yes, it's a very somber mood and many of those emotions are sad; but the fact that they managed to illicit sadness/fury/hopelessness (as opposed to typical, easy emotions for games such as excitement/wonder/achievement) speaks to the incredible writing and storyline.
    Many of your choices don't effect WHAT happens, but all of them change HOW it happens. It's an important distinction. "Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater", should have warned all you raging lunatics, this is a desperate battle from which many won't survive, but that's as it should be.
  45. Mar 9, 2012
    Epic, chilling and suspenseful are the three words that first come to my mind when I remember this game; however, fans are no doubt going to be disappointed about the ending of this fantastic series which simply deserved something much more satisfying. Yet, no other game in recent memory has given me chills so many times throughout the story. One last gripe I have with the game is itEpic, chilling and suspenseful are the three words that first come to my mind when I remember this game; however, fans are no doubt going to be disappointed about the ending of this fantastic series which simply deserved something much more satisfying. Yet, no other game in recent memory has given me chills so many times throughout the story. One last gripe I have with the game is it doesn't quite show you all of the the war assets that you have spent all game collecting, making the ending and the beginning the weakest parts of the game, leaving an astonishing middle section that will have you in awe and ready to take back earth. Expand
  46. Mar 9, 2012
    An utterly incredible game with a few minor issues and a controversial segment that (understandably) ruffled a few feathers. Gameplay feels tight and well paced, an excellent upgrade from Mass Effect 2. The amount of detail Bioware put into this game for the fans is staggering: no character, no moment, no decision from the previous games was left untouched.

Issues mainly stemmed from the

Issues mainly stemmed from the occasional buggy cutscene and from the almost non-existent mission tracking. The latter made side quests frustrating all too often.

What must be remembered when playing this game is that Bioware never set out to create a game in which you make your own story. This is their story of Mass Effect and Shepard. What you get to decide is not what that story is and how it will ultimately end, but how that story is told. I couldn't be more grateful for that.
  47. Mar 9, 2012
    I have always been a huge fan of BioWare and I believe that Mass Effect 1 & 2 are the best games I've ever played. I was so excited to play ME:3! That ended last night...

The game of ME:3 itself is outstanding. The voice acting, combat system and RPG elements were really fun to play through (except the character generation). What killed it for me was the last 20-30 minutes of the game which make absolutely no logical sense. In this small window, you find out that nothing you've done, none of your choice make any difference. In the end, you still lose. It is the most depressing ending to any game I've ever played and makes me wish I never heard of Mass Effect. If you enjoyed ME: 1 & 2, you're going to be very upset with part 3. If you buy this, you'll toss away hours of time only to find out that the worst possible ending imaginable is exactly what you'll get. I really wish this wasn't the case.
  48. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is fantastic. All of the detail and work that went into building this story and this universe is incredible. It literally feels like a living, breathing world. On top of that, throw in fantastic third person shooting, rpg elements, and an addictive multiplayer mode, and you have in my opinion, one of the best games created in the last 10 years, maybe ever. You get so much more than 60 dollars worth of game, I would have been willing to pay 100, theres just that much content. This game is a masterpiece and it should be considered as one of the greats for years to come. Expand
  49. Mar 9, 2012
    To be perfectly honest, this review board is filled with trolls... Which is really a sad thing, considering this is probably one of the greatest games to come out this generation. Is it perfect? No, but it damn sure is close. Just about every issue that presented with Mass Effect 2 has been addressed:

1. Scanning for Minerals - it has been replaced by a much more entertaining mini-game of sorts (I wont go into specifics since it could be considered spoiler material.)

2. Lack of choices in skill trees - The skill trees now offer way more depth; with 21 choices you can make for each character.

3. Some maneuvering issues - all I have to say is f*#! yeah rolling

4. The lack of involvement of previous characters - This time around the whole gang is back, and it is a nice d=touch for fans of the series

5. Audio discrepancies - I may be the only person noticing this, but weapons finally have a weight to them, and the audio sells them in a incredibly natural way (was just one of those things that bothered me in the previous games)

There are actually a few more, but I feel after the list presented I can make my point: The user reviews of ME2 are sitting around 8.9... and ME3 is such an atrocity that it evidently has a 5.0? Even though all it did was take steps forward. To be perfectly honest, I doubt half of the people who reviewed this game even played it through all of the way (or even played the actual game for that matter). But, I have played it to completion, and it was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had. So, ultimately I am giving this game a 10. Does it deserve it? Not quite, but it sure as hell doesn't deserve a 5.
  50. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I will start off by saying that this was a very good game up until the last 20 minutes (After Shepard gets beamed up). I wanted my choices to matter and my romance to matter. The relationships you build with your characters are important and the choices made previously are important and that all must come together in the ending. There should be the chance for your romance to finally blossom and be given an ending, the reapers should be given a better ending: such as all destroyed or something like the geth and quarians, peace with mutual benefit but each independent (no synergy), or what would be even grander is that Shepard convinces the catalyst that organic and synthetic can be at peace: the Reapers retreat from the galaxy forever, the cooperation and understanding with the geth proves this point as well as EDI and Joker. I wanted an ending that would bring all my choices and relationships to a grand end. Happiness with whoever you settle down with or if he/she dies, a scene with a memorial and ur love interest there with a child to say good bye.
    I would also like to say that the choices from previous games do show up, but not in ways that I expected. Liked David Archer from Overlord, the reaper base was their but diminished, the geth choice was there but diminished, etc... The choices were there, but they did not manifest in ways that the fanbase expected. I was disappointed but understand how Bioware wanted to cater to a new fan-base.
    I was also looking forward to more exploration and freedom from the first two games with lots of small side-quests and missions, but that is also diminished from the first two. There are a few missions but nothing that aids very much in getting galactic readiness up or that is actually alot of fun. I was expecting in a whole galaxy at war there would be numerous side quests and missions from the various races asking for help but there wasn't. I wish there had been. Also, what about vehicle levels? I missed the Mako and the Hammerhead, they added a breadth of fresh air when you were bored.
    I understand that no one is going to be happy with this game and others will think its great. I thought it was a good but not great game. The DLC will make it better I hope to jack up war readiness and other side quests. It can be fixed and the trilogy can be given an end that it deserves. Perhaps bioware releases a DLC that is only for fans that wraps up the game in a way that the loyal fans expect. I hope that is what happens. I wanted something to wow me and make me happy in the end. With this title I did not get that.
  51. Mar 9, 2012
    In Mass Effect 3, I was loving feeling like I was in control of the fate of the galaxy. I was pumped that due to my decisions, I solved conflicts between warring races, acquiring assets that would help in the ultimate resolution of the game. With every new race that I got on board, I could not wait to see how they would aid in the end. I brought the geth and quarians back together. IIn Mass Effect 3, I was loving feeling like I was in control of the fate of the galaxy. I was pumped that due to my decisions, I solved conflicts between warring races, acquiring assets that would help in the ultimate resolution of the game. With every new race that I got on board, I could not wait to see how they would aid in the end. I brought the geth and quarians back together. I helped the Krogan and Turians fight together. I kept thinking that I could not wait to see all this pay off in the end. But it doesn't. It doesn't matter what you do in the end. Expand
  52. Mar 9, 2012
    People are honestly being ridiculous with this game, it's bizarre. Each of the Mass Effect games differ from one another in little ways, and this one just happens to be more intense and action oriented. HOWEVER I found that the RPG elements are more effective here than they were in Mass Effect 2. Leveling up is more apparent, and XP gains are clear. So I don't get those complaints. Also,People are honestly being ridiculous with this game, it's bizarre. Each of the Mass Effect games differ from one another in little ways, and this one just happens to be more intense and action oriented. HOWEVER I found that the RPG elements are more effective here than they were in Mass Effect 2. Leveling up is more apparent, and XP gains are clear. So I don't get those complaints. Also, the writing is just fine. Sure, this installment is more action oriented, but there are emotional beats at the right moments, and the dialog is smart and logical for the situation, with some humor put in there too. Voice acting is top notch, as usual. Graphics are more fluid than the past games, and the whole weapon deal is much more varied and fun than before. Amazing set pieces as well. The visuals are pretty stunning at times, just in the composition of everything. Fighting geth husks on Menae as we see the Reapers destroying Garrus' home planet was quite a spectacle. Multiplayer is actually fun and fast paced, surprisingly. As for the romance options, well, I'm pretty sure you have to ask for a gay relationship in some way, so the homophobes have nothing to worry about there, unless they choose the right responses that would trigger it, which would seem interesting to me. Overall, if you've enjoyed the other ME games, then buy this without hesitation, just to experience this compelling universe again. I am disappointed in Metacritic gamers, both with the fake, desperately negative reviews, and with the immature, insatiable gamers who can't accept anything different than slower-paced RPG's. This game may not be perfect, but it's pretty darn great. Expand
  53. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the sublime perfection that was Mass Effect 2, this game was such a huge disappointment. For starters you're forced to play multiplayer in order to boost your "Galactic Readiness", a score used to determine how likely you are to succeed in defeating the Reapers (the main villians of the Mass Effect trilogy). Even though I completed every side mission I could find (some I could not finish due to bugs) it wasn't enough to get over 4000 needed for Shepard to survive (I was stuck at 3,800-odd). Another disappointment was the lack of returning characters from ME2. Most of the characters popped up during the course of the game, but there was very little chance to interact with them. Worse, the few characters that could be interacted with rarely had dialogue trees where you could choose what to say to them, instead the dialogue was entirely fixed. There were some nice moments, like the interactions with Joker and EDI, but overall this game disappoints compared to ME2. Finally, by far the biggest problem are the endings. At the end you are given the choice of three endings, but all of them are utterly terrible. As the conclusion to a trilogy, this is hugely disappointing. After all the blood, guts and tears the story deserved a much better ending than the ones offered. I would be willing to pay good money for Bioware to make a new ending and release it as DLC. SO DISAPPOINTING. :( Expand
  54. Jan 25, 2018
    No es el mejor juego de la saga, lo veo como un Mass effect 2/b pero aun así cerraron la trilogía como yo lo hubiera terminado.. no estoy de acuerdo con que los 3 finales sean iguales no tiene sentido... pero no puedo dejar escapar lo épico que fue jugarlo. Vale la pena jugarlo y Re jugarlo!!!! Sigo Esperando Mas DLC's.
  55. Mar 9, 2012
    I cannot in good conscious give Mass Effect 3 a good review. If you are a new fan you may be confused and overwhelmed by the brilliantly created and richly imagined universe and canon that Bioware develops. If you're an old fan then this game will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. If you are strictly concerned with gameplay, then this game will have far too much story-driven plotI cannot in good conscious give Mass Effect 3 a good review. If you are a new fan you may be confused and overwhelmed by the brilliantly created and richly imagined universe and canon that Bioware develops. If you're an old fan then this game will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. If you are strictly concerned with gameplay, then this game will have far too much story-driven plot and dialogue for you. That said the gameplay is solid through and through. Not perfect, but solid. Then again that's not why I picked up the Mass Effect series in the first place. The reason I cannot give this game a good review is that I am a story-concerned and ethical old fan. The ethics comes in with EA's (and Bioware's) shady business ethics. EA has released DLC critical to lore/story (not necessarily plot, there is a difference) and gameplay that you have to pay extra for. Unethical. Bioware's writers, producers and devs have lied to us for the entire production. The endings are not choice-driven and nothing you did in any of the three games matters in the end. The themes at the very end of the game (mind you a lot of the writing was brilliant) contradict the themes for the other two games and anyone who played through all three stories in this "character-driven" series will be nothing short of mortified with the pseudo-intellectual, quasi-philosophical ending (I believe the Russian word is "poshlost" meaning something that is meant to appear intelligent and meaningful without actually being either, thereby baiting critics to laud it so they can show how deep and intellectual they are). If the writers can't admit that they were trying to impress pseudo-intellectual critics instead of loyal fans, then they will lose my respect. If they can admit it, then they simply lose my trust. There are other parts of the game with questionable writing (Example: in the beginning you can practically hear the writers grunts as they try to start the story off in the clumsiest way possible). These are forgiveable blips as they don't ruin the series, but the ending destroyed the replayability value, not only for Mass Effect 3, but the first two games as well, which I was still playing every other month, because I enjoyed them so much. The gameplay, while still clumsy, is the best in not only this game, but any Bioware game to date and was highly enjoyable.

In summation, I can say that if you are playing this game for gameplay, then there is far too much dialogue and story for that (which I personally love). If you are playing it for story and are new to the series, I'd recommend playing the other games first (or instead). If you are playing it for story and are a veteran of the series, then this game is not highly recommended. Or you can turn it off before the "poshlost ending". I don't expect them to fix the ending, but I don't expect to be buying another Bioware game anytime soon.
  56. Mar 9, 2012
    Seeing the HUMONGOUS disparity between what users are rating this game and what critics rate the game CLEARLY exposes the fraud of some game review sites via bribes. I have seen the instances of these bribes for high profile games increase severely over the past few years. I basically agree with Sheprdlovr's review, this game is very poorly put together overall. The graphics look terribleSeeing the HUMONGOUS disparity between what users are rating this game and what critics rate the game CLEARLY exposes the fraud of some game review sites via bribes. I have seen the instances of these bribes for high profile games increase severely over the past few years. I basically agree with Sheprdlovr's review, this game is very poorly put together overall. The graphics look terrible compared to any decent titles in the past few years. I feel robbed of my 60 bucks for this game, with the Star War's mmo being even worse. Expand
  57. Mar 9, 2012
    I signed up just to rate this game! I am giving it a 5 because multi-player is kind of fun. But dear Bioware, after Dragon Age 2 and now Mass Effect 3, please be aware you are in risk of losing your hard core audience - people like me who basically buy every single Bioware game they can get their hands on. It is disingenuous to claim multi-player is optional and then make it literallyI signed up just to rate this game! I am giving it a 5 because multi-player is kind of fun. But dear Bioware, after Dragon Age 2 and now Mass Effect 3, please be aware you are in risk of losing your hard core audience - people like me who basically buy every single Bioware game they can get their hands on. It is disingenuous to claim multi-player is optional and then make it literally impossible to get the best ending without playing multi-player. Really bad. I am not the multi-player type and if your multi-player was just a bit worse, I would have rated you zero. I invested hundreds of hours in this character and now to find myself being told that I have to play multi-player, something I do not want to do for getting the best ending is sad. Expand
  58. Mar 9, 2012
    Game is AMAZING! Many emotions, many drive. Find story like in Mass Effec!. Find so fantastic emotions! Find so amazing EPIC You can't find it in Skyrim or Amalur. Free world is not better than GREAT story! So many agressive! Why? Gamers, WAKE UP! Stop it. This game survive is better than 5! It is a LEGEND.
  59. Mar 9, 2012
    I've been enjoying the game enormously. Will be replaying in the different modes, and seriously tempted to go back to 1 to give the whole trilogy a marathon play-through. Writing is sharp and good as ever, I like the tweaks to combat and the addition of power combos--gives me more options in my play strategy. And enjoying the new enemy types. There is a little added variety in characterI've been enjoying the game enormously. Will be replaying in the different modes, and seriously tempted to go back to 1 to give the whole trilogy a marathon play-through. Writing is sharp and good as ever, I like the tweaks to combat and the addition of power combos--gives me more options in my play strategy. And enjoying the new enemy types. There is a little added variety in character creation, but would have liked to see even more options or have tools for additional customization. Like the increased options for romantic pairings. I play with both fem and male Sheps and like going through the different story lines with different characters. Very pleased that Bioware is willing to add flexibility there and give gamers more choices to explore. Game is beautiful and hope this isn't the end for the Mass Effect universe. So many stories out there! Expand
  60. Mar 9, 2012
    Before playing Mass Effect 3 , i went through the first two installments once more with a completley new character in order to have the "Mass Effect" expirience fresh in my mind and for better or worse i could judge ME 3 better comparing it to the previous games so here are my 2 cents :
    This game confuses the hell out of me in terms of quality , there where plenty of moments where my jaw dropped as the story progressed , and there others that felt out of place , forced upon me (but the bad ones weren't that many in my opinion).While the quality of the story is good , it feels like i've taken more of a backseat in this 3rd game because it is more streamlined (a thing that i do not understand , this was the chance for BW to go all out on decision making since its the last game , and didn't have to worry about the hellish writing that would have entailed into making a 4th installment) .I could go on for some time about the pro's and cons but to make it short : The story is fantastic , the score that accompanies it is marvellous , there are a few plotholes that will annoy fans of the series , don't think will bother those who just want to play this last one.
    The gameplay mechanics are decent , but ME was never supposed to be about the shooting part , they've put in some more rpg elements (not that much really) but its still better then ME2 in that area.
    The graphics are good , definetly not ugly taking into consideration its based on a 7 year old engine.
    The score as i said previously , is fantastic the voice acting is what you would expect from the previous games ( Great) but seems less of it . To be fair , i knew that Bioware had a tough job in front of them in wrapping up this trilogy , they set the bar high with the quality of the previous games and an ever harder job pleasing the fans (myself included) regarding the end of the trilogy . While the game indeed wraps up this fantastic series , and answers many questions it also raised new ones , leaving me longing for more , as such i believe this game should have a place in your collection because it definetly deserves it , but at the same time it does leave you "hanging" .
  61. Mar 18, 2012
    I bought the game for my PC and the graphics are just amazing, I also purchased the two games for the iPad that are also linked to my PC game and affects each other, I am really glad the developers merged all of these tools/devices to work great with each other, it enhances the immersion.

The story of Mass Effect 3 is solid, the voice acting is superb, the music is hypnotizing, love the action and the easy of use. I give this game a 10 for perfect!
  62. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having just beat the game I feel like it's still a great game, but I also feel like Bioware has lost their ability to tell a truly amazing story. The whole Cerberus angle doesn't really make a lot sense throughout the game; it seems Cerberus is there just so you have something besides Reaper forces to kill. Several of the interactions you can have with former team mates from ME2 feel fake or out of place, and lastly the ending is just a huge let down. Killing the protagonist is a great way to end a story if it fits, but in this case, it just doesn't work. Expand
  63. Mar 9, 2012
    Its an amazing game all the way up till the last 5 mins. I didn't think it was possible but we have an ending so bad that it ruins the entire series. I can't even think about playing any of the other ME games after watching this ending.

So in short its a 9 up til the last 5 mins

The last 5 mins are so incredibly bad that it pushes the game down to a 4.
  64. Mar 9, 2012
    The game was fun up until the end, at which point, the fun stopped, and the crushing disappointment set in. Not a proper way to end the trilogy in the least, and all the more disappointing given the quality of the rest of the game.
  65. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like many of you I was a big fan of the mass effect series. I always looked forward to each new game, and ME3 was no different. To me, this is one of the most emotionally involving series I've played. Bio-ware certainly seemed to be on a role, allowing us to tailor commander shepherd into who we wanted him to be. Then, when all seems to be going well, you think "yes I've finally made it to the end, lets see what this effort has been worth." I'm left with two main options and a third depending on what i have done, all of which ultimately ends up with the demise of this character I've become so invested in. Some may call this good storytelling ,but is all that build up necessary just for a complete let down? All I, and from what I've seen over the web, many others wanted was a satisfying conclusion to the series. This is not the case...I just feel almost as if this story has been pointless, all that just to realize (with the option i chose) I've kicked everyone back to the stone age (Plus all those races landlocked on earth,unable to return to their own worlds with the loss of the relays). A happier ending would have brought more thorough closure to what good have been a great finale. Expand
  66. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is worse than bad, it's insulting. As a long time fan of the series, I feel betrayed. Aside from the absolute pants on head retarded conclusion, the writing, voice acting, textures and animations have all gone to hell. None of our choices mattered in the end. It's been casualized and sexualized to death, in the laziest way possible. Look at Tali's face. I honestly wouldn't haveThis game is worse than bad, it's insulting. As a long time fan of the series, I feel betrayed. Aside from the absolute pants on head retarded conclusion, the writing, voice acting, textures and animations have all gone to hell. None of our choices mattered in the end. It's been casualized and sexualized to death, in the laziest way possible. Look at Tali's face. I honestly wouldn't have cared if it wasn't aesthetically appealing. But the fact that they used a badly shopped STOCK PHOTO to reveal the likeness of one of the most speculated about and beloved characters IN THE SERIES, is a testament to how little bioware cares. And why would they? No matter how terrible a triple A release is, "critics" will praise it to no end, and the masses will take their word for it. This is why game journalism is a joke; it's all just thinly veiled marketing. And about the multiplayer pass and day one DLC? The game should come with a "parts sold seperately" sticker. Expand
  67. Mar 9, 2012
    Mass effect 3 is simply amazing! Bio ware has done a terrific job with this final installment in the mass effect series. The first mission where the reapers are attacking earth is a thrilling and excellent way to start off the game.
  68. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was awesome. With very few flaws.

1. Shepard talks for himself WAY TO MUCH.

2. They kill off key characters that you should have the ability to save or let them die.

3. The game is half as long as the previous two games. This is fine however since the game is so replayable and delicious.

"So why are you rating the game zero?"

Because this game had the most disappointing ending I have ever seen. It was the most disappointing thing that has ever happened in my life (No exaggeration) Everything you have ever done is absolutely pointless at the end of this game; it almost feels like a dream because it is so bad.

I have no idea how Bioware thought this was a good idea. I would think at least one Bioware employee would be like 'These ending are going to ruin the entire franchise." But no. I hate my life right now, and I hate Bioware.

I would spend 4000MP on alternate DLC endings, but sadly Bioware is to proud of themselves to let it happen.

In order for me not to kill myself I had to create my own ending in my mind, that is how bad these ending are. I had 20+ characters waiting to be imported to ME3 and now it all seems worthless :(

Bioware you officially got 99.9% right, and 0.01% Unforgivably, it was the 0.01% that counted the most, see you in hell Bioware. Signed Cmdr. Shepard
  69. Mar 9, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, this game is playable and I'm sure if you had no standards or simply didn't care you could pick up this game and have a midly enjoyable experience. BUT the atrocities EA and Bioware committed mean I cannot give this game a decent rating with a good conscience. So what is so bad about this game? Let me tell you:
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if
    1. Day 1 DLC: Whether it was EA or Bioware (Biowhore, if you will) that decided to take this course I don't know, but releasing DLC on the day of release, particularly DLC which is important to the plot, at 1/6 the price of the game itself is unforgivable in of itself. It seems they are laughing in our face as we shell out money for something that should have been on the disc, available to everyone. It is obvious that it was done simply to milk as much money out of the fans as possible.
    2. Casualisation: The game was geared towards Call of Duty players in order to cash in on the series' success, while abandoning the loyal fanbase. Not much else to say here.
    3. Shoddy Writing: Many uninformed people think that the attacks on the Bioware employee Jennifer Hepler was simply a display of hate for the sake of hate. While they certainly did go overboard, it wasn't without good reason. She was the physical manifestation of the quality of writing coming from Bioware. Examples: Dialogue is awkward, the ending is notoriously bad, after seeing so many people die and killing so many himself, Sephard is emotianally effected by the death of a random kid above all. Overall you would expect something better from a Naruto fanfiction. 4. Laziness of Bioware: For a big budget, triple A game you would expect a certain level of effort from the developers. Bioware, however seemed to have taken shortcuts left, right and centre. There are images circulating the internet which demonstrate this quite well. For example, Copying a stock image for the portrait of a character who dies in the game, and copying another 7? year old image lying around in the internet for the ending.
    5. Ininspired Multiplayer: Another cash-in, Wave survival modes have been done to death, nowadays every game seems to have one. It seems this was added in to artificially extend the life of the game and make an excuse for future half-assed DLC releases.
    6. Gay Sex: people reading this may call 'Hurr durr homophobe" - but wait to read my reasoning. Homosexuality IS a sin. Being implemented in such as fashion acts to 'casualise' it, pressing on the impressionable 13 year old minds (whose uninformed mothers will be buying this game) that it is fine and acceptable. I do not hate **** I care about them, just as I do any other person. For this reason I oppose it.
    Even if this is an attempt to cash-in with the gay audience rather than a political agenda, it gets in the way of the average straight player and does not belong. I do not want to have gay passes made to me by my squadmates when I'm playing a game.
    7. Reviewers are sellouts: This goes for every major game release nowadays, but is absolutely appalling. While I'm not implying that EA is necessarily directly paying reviewers to give the game good reviews (not that I'd put it past them) there is certainly a feel that if you don't give it a good review the publisher early access to future releases. I have heard of cases where people have lost their job because they wrote how the felt rather than what they were told to write. This is why I'm writing this review in fact - to help get a bit of truth out.
    Instead of a proper, objective review we are fed tripe with 10/10 would play again bs.

Due to all these aformentioned problems with Mass Effect 3, I cannot take it seriously, thus it receives a score of 0/10. The only reason it has earned a 1 from me is because the Biodrone tears are absolutely delicious.
    Have a good day sirs.
  70. Mar 13, 2012
    Great and amazing game until the last 10 minutes. This isn't fan rage. It's simply a warning. You won't understand what everyone was complaining about until it's too late. The real tragedy is that Mass Effect 1 and 2 get caught in the blast wave and become worse games in the process.
  71. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is a complete disappointment. It was fun up until the last 5 minutes, and those five minutes make the whole series seem like a 100+ hour waste of time. I swear they had a five year old write the ending, and for those of you who think your choices from the last two games matter, they don't, there is only 3 total endings. That's it! Way to Go BioWare, your a joke company to me now.
  72. Mar 9, 2012
    overall , if you haven't play the previous series, me3 looks badass. but if you did play me1 or me2, then me3 is bull****. Graphics: can't believe this game uses unreal engine (GOW, Batman AC, unreal tournament3,bulletstorm, etc), well at least why don't you bioware put destructible environtment into combat?it has physX ins't it?. luls movment (either in combat or exploration) animation,overall , if you haven't play the previous series, me3 looks badass. but if you did play me1 or me2, then me3 is bull****. Graphics: can't believe this game uses unreal engine (GOW, Batman AC, unreal tournament3,bulletstorm, etc), well at least why don't you bioware put destructible environtment into combat?it has physX ins't it?. luls movment (either in combat or exploration) animation, awkward face animation (they still using faceFX, peh), ugly textures. Combat : forgiven, but still annoying movement animation ruins it all. Story: bull**** from beginning till I die. First time in menu , i choose "action" so i could save the role-play storytell later. I said" wtf, cutscenes and flows are sucks" hmpf, maybe because i choose "action" so it's like options for retarded who chooses muscle over brain. okay. but when i try to play "RPG" like it should be, " wtf! it's sucks otherwise". so it doesn't matter what you choose, its bull****, conversation are forced into useless lines, this is like encourage people to do sexual harrasmnt, and they enjoying it, and what the hell happened to my previous crew? they're all KIA? Overall, DISAPPOINTING!!! forgive my rudeness, but mass effect franchise deserve better than this. this is why some people chose illegal copy instead. i gave ONE for the bravery bringing battle to earth. Expand
  73. Mar 9, 2012
    Turned a really fun game and an awesome franchise into dog @#$% in the final 5 minutes. WORST. ENDING. EVER. (and this is from someone who has seen MANY terrible endings)
  74. Mar 10, 2012
    A great story. A brilliant ending and a masterpiece from Bioware. Ð
  75. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass effect 3 a epic conclusion? More like a epic disappointment.
    I felt that the ending was a major slap in my face and leave a bitter taste
    in your mouth!
  76. Mar 10, 2012
    The Game is disappointment. This concerns poor writing, dialogue, robotic delivery of lines. You are funneled though the game; the sense of important choices from 1 and 2 is gone, which invalidates those two superb games. The combat is also not well done; even if it resembles 2 it is much more random, the enemies are attacking in hordes and show incredibly poor AI, the one thing that makesThe Game is disappointment. This concerns poor writing, dialogue, robotic delivery of lines. You are funneled though the game; the sense of important choices from 1 and 2 is gone, which invalidates those two superb games. The combat is also not well done; even if it resembles 2 it is much more random, the enemies are attacking in hordes and show incredibly poor AI, the one thing that makes them dangerous is their sheer number and power bar. They also get boring fast (A million husks! Incredible!) Somehow, maybe due to poor mixture of reload times and squad reaction, the combat itself does not work very well, 2 was way better and did not have this crappy balancing of powers and weight of weapons. The overall sense I get from this very dissappointing third entry is that its rushed and heartless, it showcases violence and sexuality in a way thats obnoxious and caters to the casual player. All in all this is not worth buying, the one thing that saves it is the high production values (though wasted) and sheer spectacle of it. This is what Matrix Revolutions was for the Matrix Trilogy: It forgets about 1, ridicules 2 by ignoring any plot points made in it and thus renders the whole series ineffective. I still hope I will wake up, Mass Effect 3 will be coming out tomorrow and be good. But it really is not; and its not because of trolling but because it is a mediocre title. Sad decline! Expand
  77. Mar 10, 2012
    Even better than the already near perfect Mass Effect 2. If you enjoy a rich story with awesome characters and smarter than the typical blow everything up shooter then the Mass Effect series is for you. I can't imagine anyone calling themselves a gamer wouldn't love this game.
  78. Mar 10, 2012
    Awesome game. Loved the first two games, and ME3 does not disappoint. Easily a 10 / 10. All of the low scores are shocking. They must not have played the game, or did not play the first two games.
  79. Mar 10, 2012
    Great game but the endign needs an epilogue. I would gladly pay $10 for a DLC epilogue.

1. 3D models need to learn blocking. That is a term used by actors and actresses in theater. Its an illusion that the audience accepts because if the actor actually talked face to face with the other actor then the audience only sees the back of an actorâ
  80. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game itself adds nothing to the series in terms of gameplay. It's the same old, same old. It doesn't try anything new that impacts the game in a significant way. You can still find better TPS gameplay in Gears (which is saddening really). It's not bad, but enjoyable for what it is.

The story, dear god. Somehow retcons and ignores what was established in ME1 and ME2. The Reapers built Mass Relays, but can't use them? But in ME1, it's said that the Citadel is a giant Mass Relay, which you shut down before it was fully activated. Also the Prothean/Collectors retcons, and also some decisions not mattering at all. Then there's also the Reaper's motive (preventing synthetic life.. which is pretty stupid by itself); the Geth were created by the Quarians some hundreds of years before the events of the first game. Why didn't the Reapers invade back then? And then ME3 feels like it ignores almost the entirety of ME2 (which was already stupid itself), and you start gathering/making the galaxy ready for the invasion while it's happening. That's stupidity at its finest. And then there's the "galactic readiness bar", that just... feels... too I don't know. Too artificial or mathematical. Or something. The 'readiness' should be measured by achievements (ingame, in sidequests and all that) and the things you do to help, not by a statistic.

JRPGs have better plots than this mess, and they can do it in one game for less money and no DLC.

And then there was the "gay" situation. I'm all for gays in my game. I was pretty much surprised and cool with Cortez being openly gay. That's fine, but when you answer him all you get is a paragon romance option and a renegade option. No neutral option. So what, Renegade is the new neutral? And even Kaidan, an established character, turned gay in ME3, hitting on MaleShep. What happened?

Then there's the general laziness of design. 2D sprites of people? It doesn't do anything to cover them up either, it's just blatant. The previous games used 2D sprites, but they weren't as noticeable. Not to mention that even Wii games can put a bunch of 3D models on the screen without slowdown. Not to mention the lazy photoshop of the Tali picture.

It's not amazing or good. Just painfully average
  81. Mar 10, 2012
    This game would have been a solid 10/10 for me if it were not for those horrid endings. They managed to keep me entertained and invested in the story until the last five minutes. Getting stuck with 3 terrible endings with the same consequences is a terrible way to end one of my favorite game series. Never buying another Bioware product unless this is rectified.
  82. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is not the terrible and horrendous piece of crap that all these folks on here are trying so hard to make it out to be. Sure, the game has some flaws, but to give it a "ZERO" doesn't prove anything, other than some people know how to exaggerate and hop on a bandwagon. I'm currently about 30hrs into the campaign, and so far the only real tangible problems with the game are someMass Effect 3 is not the terrible and horrendous piece of crap that all these folks on here are trying so hard to make it out to be. Sure, the game has some flaws, but to give it a "ZERO" doesn't prove anything, other than some people know how to exaggerate and hop on a bandwagon. I'm currently about 30hrs into the campaign, and so far the only real tangible problems with the game are some minor technical annoyances. Framerate stutters in the beginning cutscenes, talking heads and some dubious cover mechanics. These are established flaws within the game that can be disruptive to the flow and cohesiveness of the experience. However, even with the weight of these issues, they are not heavy enough to mar the experience to such a strong degree that the game becomes a complete and utter failure. Those who've tried so hard to dismiss the game as a "ZERO" or even a "ONE", have every right to do so, but they also will be lacking in a reasonable and compelling argument to justify it. So far most of the negative user reviews are focused on what they see as a horrible story in the game. Fortunately, a game's story and whether it can be called good or not, is completely subjective. If one doesn't like the story arc in Mass Effect 3, then that's fine. But it isn't really the developers fault is it? Our tastes and standards vary, so we can't really dismiss an entire game as crap, just because we didn't love the story. As long as the writers were inspired, and actually tried to craft a entertaining tale, then they've done all they can do. The rest is just preference and opinion. Unfortunately, it seems clear that the real issue here is the matter of EA's decision to include day1 DLC. This to me, is the real reason for all the bandwagoning backlash. It's just too bad that Bioware is suffering the consequences for their greedy publishers shrewd business tactics. Because all they did was release the third installment to a beloved sci-fi saga. The rest is just white noise. Expand
  83. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ultimately no matter what path was chosen, what actions were taken, who lived and who died, at the end of this journey, all that remains is your ship and your crew abandon you. The first 95% of the game is amazing, its everything I hoped for and more. The last 5% is the biggest slap in the face imaginable. If you have invested 100's of hours from the first game until this one, you will be left stunned and appalled that none of the choices you made, none of the battles you fought, nothing you did in those 100's of hours ultimately pays off in any of the three endings you can pick from. With the three endings and the DLC on day 1, EA/Bioware show that fan support means nothing more than a dollar symbol to them. While most of the joy lays in the journey to the end of the game, there is no replay value at all in this game, because no matter what journey you take, the ends are all ultimately the same except for color variations and if synthetics live or die. Expand
  84. Mar 10, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played, no other game has ever managed to get emotional responses from me! The story comes full circle in this last instalment and we can truly see the scale of the galactic war. We are treated to some truly neat set-pieces and great characters.
    Many seem to think that this game is somehow worse or more mainstream than the previous Mass Effect games, don't let them fool you, this game is more accessible, but it strikes a nice and simple balance between the hefty RPG elements of Mass Effect 1 (which were sometimes cumbersome) and the severed simplicity of Mass Effect 2 (only upgrade purchases, really?). Mass Effect 3 features a plethora of weapons, upgrades, mods and character abilities that you can use to craft your own Shepard, Truly an amazing end for an incredible series, it is worth every penny and every hour!
  85. Mar 10, 2012
    If you are a Mass Effect fan, DO NOT play this game. After building to what looked to be an incredible, epic conclusion to one of the best videogame trilogies of all time, Bioware has instead released an utter disappointment. While combat and characters may be decent, the horrific ending ruins the entire mass effect saga.
  86. Mar 10, 2012
    A note to all who hate the ending. It is 15 freaking minutes of horror, out of a 100 hour game (At least). You are all giving it a zero when you probably really never even say the ending for yourself. And the DLC? Who cares, go to the dlc page to rate it bad, not here. All of you dislikers are probably cod players who compulsively dislike.
  87. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible endings destroy Mass Effect 3, destroy the series.

I'm a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, Kotor, SWTOR, and Dragon Age. As I was playing through Mass Effect 3 I thought that this would shape up to be Bioware's best work. The combat is improved and you finally see some conflicts from the first two games resolved. However, all the buildup in this game, indeed all the choices you make in all the previous games are rendered moot. The climax of this game is deterministic, there is no opportunity to make a choice in line with the Shepard that you have developed over three games, this is why I must give Mass Effect 3 a 0/10. The entire series is built on allowing the player to make choices, Mac Walter the lead writer for Mass Effect 3 said in numerous interviews that we would have the opportunity to get a satisfying conclusion. I assure you that if you complete this game the last thing you will feel is satisfaction.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:
    At the end of the game you encounter some kind of god like figure. It explains that organic life will always create synthetic life, and that synthetic life will always kill their creators. To prevent this from happening the god figure created the reapers to kill all advanced organic life every 50k years or so. I can't comprehend this, the god figure's solution is exactly what it wants to prevent synthetics killing organics. Depending on your war readiness you are given up to three paths to take.

1. Destroy all synthetic life. This destroys the reapers but will also destroy EDI and the Geth. If you have made any connection with EDI, or made an effort to help the Geth this ending obviously is not in line with your character. To be fair I could see a renegade shep choosing this option.

2. Synthesis: Sacrifice your life to fuse organic and synthetic life together at the molecular level. This has been described by numerous players as "space magic", it seems apt. I got the sense that this was a "good ending" in that it resolves conflicts between organics and synthetics. However, a recurring theme throughout the series is that forcing people to evolve along a predetermined path is wrong - this is how the reapers/god figure control organic species. Here Shepard would merely do the same thing, what right does he have to molecularity alter every being in the galaxy? It is totally out of line with the Mass Effect series encouraging independent behavior.

3. Control - Shepard can sacrifice his corporeal form to control the Reapers and become the next god figure. I haven't thought much about this ending so I won't comment on it.

However, the real kicker is that regardless of what choice is selected Shepard will die (unless destroy is selected with over 4k war assets), your crew is inexplicably stranded on unknown planet (including crew members in your squad on your final mission), and all the mass relays are destroyed.
  88. Mar 10, 2012
    The game featured a promising start. It was exciting to finally see everything you did in the last 2 games make a difference in Mass Effect 3... Only that it didn't. Nothing you did in the game has a result or consequence in this game, not even the stuff you do in Mass Effect 3. You can't do any major choices during the game. The combat feels like a bad version of Gears of War. The endingThe game featured a promising start. It was exciting to finally see everything you did in the last 2 games make a difference in Mass Effect 3... Only that it didn't. Nothing you did in the game has a result or consequence in this game, not even the stuff you do in Mass Effect 3. You can't do any major choices during the game. The combat feels like a bad version of Gears of War. The ending is horrible and makes the whole story of Shepard from the first game to the third feel irrelevant. The games has lots of glitches and feels rushed and unpolished. Expand
  89. Mar 10, 2012
    The ending to an epic trilogy stretched out through 5 years. The build up, the emotional investment, the fun from playing... all is taken away by an ending sequence which doesn't even bother to be longer than 5 minutes. Your choices affect nothing, Your accomplishments are meaningless. Even if you manage to prove them wrong, you're not given a chance to state that. This is an RPG game.The ending to an epic trilogy stretched out through 5 years. The build up, the emotional investment, the fun from playing... all is taken away by an ending sequence which doesn't even bother to be longer than 5 minutes. Your choices affect nothing, Your accomplishments are meaningless. Even if you manage to prove them wrong, you're not given a chance to state that. This is an RPG game. The plot is one of its main components, hell, they even added a narrative mode, where the fights are brain-dead and Shepard can tank missiles forever. To end the trilogy in this way is a joke. It just feels like Bioware suddenly decided to screw over the fans giving them a deus ex machina ending where your decisions don't matter at all. Expand
  90. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everyone loves a good sci-fi game. And that's just it, this game is amazing. The mechanics are fun, the lore is fantastic, and as one of those people that has been following Commander Shepard's exploits since that fateful mission on Eden Prime, I cannot say the same for the story. Where Mass Effect 1 and 2 had several outcomes possible, with choices made affecting the world you experience in Mass Effect 3, I simply can't imagine playing the game without having experienced 1 and 2 first. However, that illusion of choice is shattered with the ending. Despite having 3 branching choices at the ending, and preparations of war to make throughout the game, every choice ends in a similar fashion.

Don't get me wrong, the game leading up to the end is amazing, and gives you a real sense of severity that this invasion brings, with every civilized race in the galaxy feeling the Reaper's wrath. But, with so much empathy invested in Shepard's story, and his relationship with his peers and possible love interests, the ending was a huge blow. Under any other circumstance, this ending would have been perfectly fine.

Ending aside, this game is quite amazing, but if you're someone who gets sucked into the world and the characters, and grow to CARE about the outcome, this will likely be hard to swallow. You have been warned.
  91. Mar 10, 2012
    I absolutely love this game, and the trilogy as a whole. It was a fantastic ending to something that I've been enjoying for so many years now, the writing, gameplay, mechanics, graphics and story was top notch. Bringing back many of the elements from ME1 and mixing it together with ME2 made a winning formula gameplay wise. Adding mods to weapons and a bigger rpg system was something that II absolutely love this game, and the trilogy as a whole. It was a fantastic ending to something that I've been enjoying for so many years now, the writing, gameplay, mechanics, graphics and story was top notch. Bringing back many of the elements from ME1 and mixing it together with ME2 made a winning formula gameplay wise. Adding mods to weapons and a bigger rpg system was something that I missed in ME2, so again thanks Bioware for making such an Sci-Fi epic!

Anyway, I finished the game after 29 hours so there is much to it. And don't take good or bad reviews as an dealbreaker for either buying it or not, just try it. It is so worth it :)

NOTE: I just wanted to add that I don't think this is actually the end for the ME universe, since my ending had a big Cliffhanger... So there has to be more to it.
  92. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is truly an awesome game. I've read several reviews here, and this is my own take as well as a response to those reviews. Bioware has said all along that this is the end of Shepard's story. We all knew the Reapers were coming, and from the battles in 1 and 2--especially 1--that a mass force of Reapers were going to be near impossible to defend against. There are many complaints that 'your' Shepard is no longer running the show, but think of what's going on: Shepard is one man. He cannot coordinate a galaxy wide war effort. He is back in the Alliance military, playing his part in that machine. He is not on his own personal quest against the Reapers anymore, he is now a cog in a much bigger machine. There are people wishing for some happy ending--I was hoping for one, secretly, but how could there be? There could be 'better' endings, but I can't see any of them being 'happy'. The game really conveys the sense of desperation and near hopelessness of fighting the Reapers. The mood of the game is solemn, serious, moody. There are some spots that will make you grin, maybe even a chuckle, but Armageddon has arrived. Earth has fallen. The Batarians before that. The other major races to follow. Think back to Mass Effect 1: Sovereign took the entire Acturus Fleet (5th and 3rd Fleets I think) to take down, and that wasn't even a quick battle. They sustained fairly major casualties taking down a single Reaper. How well will the Alliance and other races fair against 100s of them? Maybe 1000s! The game makes a point of even a single reaper being a nearly insurmountable foe. Gameplay: The new 'mobility' they talked about is...well, I don't like it. I would have been happy with the same as in ME2, with the addition of unlimited sprinting and the context jumping and ladder climbing. They definitely took cues from COD and other such games, but it pays off: there is a major war on. Major wars have air strikes, explosions, confusing combat situations, and death all around. That is what war is about. The change in your weapon loadouts I love, it allows the player to decide what kind of weapons to bring along on a mission, allowing the player to decide what kind of weapons vs. powers trade off to make rather than being locked into a rigid weapon set determined by your chosen class. I never did like that in ME1 and 2, Shepard is N7, and he can't use an assault rifle (or whatever) just because he isn't a soldier (or whatever) class? Multiplayer: Hate that it impacts the single player game. I've played the multiplayer and I think it is well done, but if I was interested in MP I'd go buy a game that is more oriented around MP gameplay. The single player is nearly penalized for NOT playing multiplayer, but the single player game can still be 'won' without playing multiplayer, you just might have to go on more side missions to get it done (which isn't a big problem in my book, I'd be doing the side missions anyway). Graphics: I found the graphics just as good as ME2, but darker, grittier. It fits the dark, moody tone of the game. Roleplay: decisions in the previous games do have impact on this one, some more notable than others. I was disappointed in some, surprisingly pleased in others. No game is perfect. Ending: A bitter victory is the result of a bitter war. There isn't a 'feel good' ending that I have found. The ending, like much of the game, is dark and emotionally exhausting, and at times, jaw dropping. Overall: 9/10 mostly because of the multiplayer element impacting the single player game. Expand
  93. Mar 10, 2012
    I haven't even bought this game or even played it yet, but I'm gonna go ahead and throw out a 10 for this game. I'm doing that because a lot of people seem to think its ok to just give it a 0 because they just wanna. So fair game. Maybe I'll make 20 more new accounts just to help it out. Good day all =)
  94. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ending 1 : Die
    Ending 2 : Die
    Ending 3 : Die
    Seriously EA and Bioware? I really waited 2 years for such a pathetic ending? I'm feeling hollow here. I just wanna burn my N7 T-Shirt. What a sad day for RPG's. Choices have no influence... BECAUSE YOU DIE WHATEVER WHAT YOU DO. What a let down.
  95. Mar 11, 2012
    Was a HUGE fan, but after the ending, i feel depressed, deprived, angry and sick to my stomach.... Not sure if i'll be able to forgive bioware. If you suffer from depression and love this game, please do NOT get this game, if you have it, don't finish it.
  96. Mar 11, 2012
    Where are the true different endings ? And god damned, where is the exploration ? I always searchâ
  97. Mar 11, 2012
    This is a Game that every moment i enjoying, one game with action and rpg´s that others want to copy.
    Beautiful envirnoments, Good story, Graphics, talking, and moments that are better that all action games in the last year.
  98. Mar 11, 2012
    The game itself was amazing, I had so much fun playing it. The story was such an unforgettable experience and I was captivated the whole time....up until the last 10 minutes. I'm not going to be a jerk and spoil it for anyone, but I played the first two when they launched and have been really excited for the 3rd one to conclude the story. Unfortunately the ending was so bad that not onlyThe game itself was amazing, I had so much fun playing it. The story was such an unforgettable experience and I was captivated the whole time....up until the last 10 minutes. I'm not going to be a jerk and spoil it for anyone, but I played the first two when they launched and have been really excited for the 3rd one to conclude the story. Unfortunately the ending was so bad that not only do I feel cheated but I now have no desire to go back and reply the game again which may not seem bad until you compare it to the first two which I played four times each. I really hope Bioware releases some DLC post ending so give the fans some closure on the story. They do that and I'd give this game a perfect 10. Expand
  99. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get me wrong, the game is solid 9/10 game until the very end. Unfortunately, the horribly poor writing and the illusion of choice in the final sequence â Expand

1. May 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an emotional rollercoaster ride with lots of tension and moving moments. The threat of the Reapers make every decision a hard one and your relationship with other characters will be tested. This, in combination with tight gameplay, makes this the complete experience.
  2. Apr 26, 2012
    As a bombastic action-RPG with no previous context, Mass Effect 3 is a dark, engaging game with great combat, a well-written story, and all the epic space-opera you could want. But for those who have played through Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, it's something much more.
  3. Apr 18, 2012
    The storytelling itself, the more refined combat, the voicework, the visuals, et all, stand as a fine example of some of the best this industry has to offer, and with my minor complaints aside, there's no doubt that Mass Effect 3 will be deservedly at the top of everyone's list come this year's award season.