Max Payne 3 Xbox 360

7.7

1. May 17, 2012
    The graphics and gameplay capabilities are simply top notch. The detailed gameplay plays fantastically because of of good controls and weapons. Visuals are far from being the most important thing, but its worth mentioning for a title that looks so beautiful. How about the story? Well, its got a great script and and the characters are well developed. This is another satisfactory game fromThe graphics and gameplay capabilities are simply top notch. The detailed gameplay plays fantastically because of of good controls and weapons. Visuals are far from being the most important thing, but its worth mentioning for a title that looks so beautiful. How about the story? Well, its got a great script and and the characters are well developed. This is another satisfactory game from Rockstar. Now that this has been released, can you guys start work on Bully 2? Expand
  2. May 15, 2012
    Finally! Much years for have a new Max Payne, and this third part is really amazing. The graphics are AWESOME!!! the stroy is excellent, and have a great development, the gameplay is perfect, the sound effects cool. Max Payne 3 is an awesome sorprise.
  3. Jun 7, 2012
    You will feel depressed right on the beginning , and that's one of the characteristic of old Max . Leaving the cold to the tropical Brazil , Max Payne still can't surpass his horrible past , thugs and the scums aren't giving Max a good welcome , and they will try to complicate every step that Max makes. Graphically , the engine is probably one of the best out there , and maybe the bestYou will feel depressed right on the beginning , and that's one of the characteristic of old Max . Leaving the cold to the tropical Brazil , Max Payne still can't surpass his horrible past , thugs and the scums aren't giving Max a good welcome , and they will try to complicate every step that Max makes. Graphically , the engine is probably one of the best out there , and maybe the best looking game from the company of GTA.Movements like jumping , dolphin diving and many other really are impressive . In the story side , i can't say it was the best ( made from Rockstar ) but was quite well written. Expand
  4. Jun 8, 2012
    This is another proof that Western games are getting better and better in quality in comparison to their Japanese counterparts. Intuitive controls, great storyline, super graphics. Max Payne made you feel like you're in a 'John Woo' film.
  5. Mar 8, 2013
    Max Payne 3 marks the return of the John Mclain of the gaming world, Max Payne, as he ventures through one of the most action packed and well written stories of 2012.
    Max now lives in Sao Paulo for the rich family Branco, he is a bodyguard, a drunk and a painkiller addict. When the family is targeted by people living in the Favelas close to their home Max has to jump back into action to find the people responsible for the deaths of his employers and who threaten his life too.
    Max Payne 3's story has been told time and time again, however not as good as MP3 does it. MP3 is heavily cutscene based with all the gameplay taking place during the gunfights. Though this detracts from the experience it only makes the story better and better by giving you such a tight narrative. But when the gameplay does kick in it is one of the most enjoyable third-person shooters you will ever play. Feeling very similar to Gears of War and Spec Ops the Line with very well structured controls and great environments to fight in ranging from airports to clubs.
    Max Payne 3 is not a game you can miss if you like action games, it has something to please everyone.
  6. Jun 9, 2012
    I never played any of the other Max Payne games so i'm new to Max Payne and what a great game Max Payne 3 is. It has a fantastic story line in the whith has many twists and turns in it. The best script I have heard in a game I have heard in a long time. Just buy it. Max Payne 3 8.9/10
  7. Mar 27, 2014
    Max payne 3 is another great rockstar game, i love this game, is absolutely fantastic it actions scene, its really outstanding it violence, great game that must be played.
  8. Dec 4, 2012
    A big improvement over the first two and that's saying alot since I grew up with them. I was waiting for a long ass tiem for them to finally continue the saga of Max Payne and Rockstar hasn''t given me any reason to doubt them. The gameplay, the story, the bullet time and **** like that is way better. Complete badass
  9. Aug 16, 2013
    [8.0] It definitely isn't Rockstar's best, but Max Payne 3 is impressive in many ways. It exceeds in both action and graphics, which makes up for the linear gameplay. Although it isn't quite as engaging as Grand Theft Auto, or Red Dead, Max Payne 3 is a great title for people who are waiting for GTA V.
  10. Jul 31, 2012
    Alright,I have played through the story twice and played many hours of the wicked multiplayer and come to the conclusion that this is as close to perfect as you can get for a video game.there are no flaws I can see and it's just a enjoyable awesome experience that everybody should play.The first two Max Payne games I played were the xbox versions and they were grade A awesome.This is theAlright,I have played through the story twice and played many hours of the wicked multiplayer and come to the conclusion that this is as close to perfect as you can get for a video game.there are no flaws I can see and it's just a enjoyable awesome experience that everybody should play.The first two Max Payne games I played were the xbox versions and they were grade A awesome.This is the next generation of games so of course it's gonna be different.I absolutely love the direction Rockstar went with this game.It has replay value like crazy.If you only played single player with no online I would recommend this to the highest degree.I love when games do that and then the online is amazing and just as good,if not better,then anything out there.Please get this game cause i you dont then you are missing out on the second best thing to come out this year,being Mass Effect 3, is the only game better but I would rate this in the top ten in the last 5 years of video games.Just brilliant!! Expand
  11. May 18, 2012
    Initially I never played any one of the Max Payne games before, so I do not know the gameplay and story of the other games. In May Payne 3, Max is a former policeman and the events take place 9 years after the second game, with the opening showing a low down Max, between alcohol and painkillers, remembering the tragedies of his past, mixing scenes of this and of the present, in hisInitially I never played any one of the Max Payne games before, so I do not know the gameplay and story of the other games. In May Payne 3, Max is a former policeman and the events take place 9 years after the second game, with the opening showing a low down Max, between alcohol and painkillers, remembering the tragedies of his past, mixing scenes of this and of the present, in his apartment in Brazil.From the Main Menu, we have the options: Story, Arcade, Multiplayer, Settings, Xbox Live Marketplace, with the Social Club fire with Start. Starting a game, we see New, Continue, and Grinds Chapter Select (statistics collectibles) and start a game when you select the difficulty from Easy, Medium, Hard, Hardcore and OldSchool (the last two blocked, released when finished with Hard), and then the targeting system options, from Hard Lock, Soft Lock and Free Aim.The game's graphics are very realistic, with details that go up the pores in the skin of the characters, the graphic details of blood and bruises are ultra-realistic. When you fire the bullet time with the right analog button, the screen goes into slow motion, black and white and can aim at enemies, the shots are realistic too about the damage and injured body part, and we see detailed splashes of blood and bloody footprints, not to mention the occasional Bullet Time itself, with the camera following the bullet's path, as we see in Sniper Elite.I'm from Sao Paulo and I can say that the "recreated" city it's not like that: they mixed São Paulo with Rio de Janeiro, creating a stereotype that many foreign people have of Brazil. We don't have bananas trees everywhere, and the buildings blend several areas of the city, in a fictional version of the city - like other detail like the stereotype image of the people, musical taste and culture of people we have here (yes, we like football, but it's not like a religion). The game's story is being told it with the graphics engine, and and scenes sometimes raw and visually distorted, showing the mental changes in Max, by alcohol and analgesics. Often the scenes go by a comic cut and mixed with cinematic action sequences.In the audio, the game uses orchestrated track, and melancholy narratives, dialogs are very well staged, and have a line of narrative, told by Max, heavy and dense. The voices of the enemies, in Portuguese, are very good, but not so polished: they have a mixed accent of other regions, and some are convincing, other like the actor were reading something (or acting badly) but dubbed dialogs are concise in the dialogs.The action is of a 3rd person shooter with pre-defined scenarios, full of action, with very fluid motion capture: you use the traditional mechanic to advance through the scenarios shooting at enemies and using objects for cover and to jump over them. The scenarios have intense firefights, where you should use Bullet Time to kill the enemies and try not to be killed.The saves the game are of the area of fixed checkpoint kind, and automatic - the good news is that they are very frequent, and usually at the beginning some action sequence, restoring your life.The shots damage scenarios, and it is well done, and each material has a kind of reaction that affects the bullet, for example in a parking lot, was in a shootout, and entered a sequence of Bullet Time, while a shot a thug in the face another shot hit a water pipe that was on the wall, splashing water. The materials react realistically and cartridges fall to the ground.For a comparative example, who has not played Max Payne before, looks like a "Kane and Lynch" in steroids. In shootouts, sometimes entered the Kill Cam, which shows the bullets of different weapons realistically reaching the enemy, and you can make the time pass more slowly with A and continue shooting for more multiple hits.The life is represented by a figure in white, that diminishes, and becomes red to death: there is a partial regeneration, depending on the checkpoints - in most cases you should use the Painkillers with dpad-up or use the Last Stand Kill, where you at brink of death, hits the enemy in Bullet Time and if kill him, gets a lot of life back.The game allows the use of multiple weapons fired in a "wheel" of weapons with LB, and can use a Dual-Wield of different weapons - and in the scenarios we find pieces of golden weapons, which are the collectibles of the game, and course "collectable" statistics (enemies killed by rifles, shot on legs, etc).

The Multiplayer mode has also been discussed by critics as excellent, I look forward to test it - it have a competitive feature, based on clans and the gameplay based on what we see in the game, complete with Bullet Time and Kill Cams.Overall this is another great work of Rockstar, a great 3rd person shooter, with great graphics and well written story, and an incessant action, which although not innovative, promises a great game full of action until the end.
  12. Sep 11, 2012
    The only thing that kept me playing this game was the joy of sharing another one way walk into Hell with Max. Max is Dirty Harry, John Mclane, The Punisher and all the other 'too dumb to quit' good guy cops rolled into one. Gameplay 4. Graphics 4. Voiceover 8. MAX PAYNE 10. I may have fallen through a roadway in a graphical glitch that saw me looking up at a ghost city from beneath. I mayThe only thing that kept me playing this game was the joy of sharing another one way walk into Hell with Max. Max is Dirty Harry, John Mclane, The Punisher and all the other 'too dumb to quit' good guy cops rolled into one. Gameplay 4. Graphics 4. Voiceover 8. MAX PAYNE 10. I may have fallen through a roadway in a graphical glitch that saw me looking up at a ghost city from beneath. I may have gone crosseyed fighting the umpteenth lookalike badguy in the umpteenth lookalike location. I may be frustrated that it takes a half a clip of 7.62 FMJ rounds to stop a badguy goon standing up again after I shot him once. But, hey MAX is back and thats good enough for me. As max says "There it was, the soundtrack to my life, and, for a few seconds, came harmony, finally". Expand
  13. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Realistic graphics, sometimes the shadows make it look ugly, but the character models look great too. 9.5.
    Sound: Decent soundtrack (I wasn’t into the music near the end, didn’t feel that was the right band like Rockstar claimed back on GTTV). The themes were excellent, the voice acting was great. 9.
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but
    Gameplay: The game is more realistic than previous Max Payne titles, but I did still get the feeling that it was a Max Payne game. Bullet time is great, all the guns are fine, the aiming is challenging but in a good way. The only complaint is the constant switching of shoulders, but I think there’s an option to turn that off. Challenging game good, gametrailers-reviewers noobs. Euphoria engine looks at its best. The multiplayer I found unbalance, unrealistic, and just not my type of shooter. 9.
    Story: The story plays out at a slow pace, it keeps you interested for a while, but near the end it’s not as interesting. I enjoyed playing the past sequences more than the present day because I felt the present day ones were going nowhere in terms of Max’s story. Max is in a field where he doesn’t belong, and even though it is hinted, this didn’t make it any more interesting. The switch from comic scenes to in game cut scene was fine, I enjoyed it. The inner thoughts of Max Payne are brilliant, who doesn’t have their brain always talking to them? 8.5.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is a must play at least once, there are achievements and a multiplayer for those interested. Personally, I would recommend this game a rent for those wanting a single player only experience. The game took about 8-10 hours on hard for me to complete. 8.
    Overall Score: 8.8 out of 10.
  14. Oct 18, 2013
    its a incredible game
    one the best third person shooter than i have played
    max payne 3 its so unforgable
    it has a lot of good things.
    bullet time is awesome and the graphics are amazing
  15. Oct 31, 2012
    This is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful.
  16. Jul 16, 2013
    What a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in aWhat a game!! maybe the coolest game I ever played. The bullet time is so badass!! I also liked that the gameplay was quite challenging my first playthrough was on hard and I died and died, so many times. I am not a fan of the story or the endless cut-scenes, but the gameplay was too satisfying to keep me playing. I could give this game a higher score if Max can shut his mouth once in a while....he is talkish!! Anyway, I still love this game! Expand
  17. Oct 29, 2012
    All that i can say about this game is that it is exactly what I've come to expect from Rockstar. Play through single player once and a little multiplayer - very polished - addictive gameplay and awesome multiplayer. Must buy
  18. Oct 31, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is the best linear third person shooter i have ever play, anyone that say this game suck is simply stupid, this game puts every other 3rd person shooter to shame, well, except Uncharted that is.
  19. Nov 5, 2012
    A true cinematic gaming masterpiece, Max Payne 3 is not just another triumph for Rockstar, but it's also testament to what the developer can do when it turns its hand to linear storytelling. Max Payne 3 might be a stylistic shift for the series, but it's also a raw and brutal portrait of a man pushed to the edge that deserves a place alongside Rockstar's superlative open-world efforts. GetA true cinematic gaming masterpiece, Max Payne 3 is not just another triumph for Rockstar, but it's also testament to what the developer can do when it turns its hand to linear storytelling. Max Payne 3 might be a stylistic shift for the series, but it's also a raw and brutal portrait of a man pushed to the edge that deserves a place alongside Rockstar's superlative open-world efforts. Get ready to enter a world of Payne. Expand
  20. May 22, 2012
    Despite the sort of conventional feeling 'last boss' climax, this is one brilliantly made game. The gameplay forces you to come up with a strategy on how to defeat your enemies, because their aim is good too, and it doesn't take that many bullets to kill Max (unless of course you have a bunch of pain killers stashed up). The game enforces perfect aiming when in battle - every shot counts -Despite the sort of conventional feeling 'last boss' climax, this is one brilliantly made game. The gameplay forces you to come up with a strategy on how to defeat your enemies, because their aim is good too, and it doesn't take that many bullets to kill Max (unless of course you have a bunch of pain killers stashed up). The game enforces perfect aiming when in battle - every shot counts - and this, with the insane amount of enemies that surround you, is no easy feat. I loved how the scenes blended in with the gameplay and that the game's loading was hardly apparent (unless of course you quit, restarted, or beat the game) - otherwise it's nearly seamless. The game's writing is beautiful and the story is simply fantastic. Expand
  21. Mar 17, 2014
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class. Great protagonist. Presentation with cutscenes and how there aren't any loading screens are really well done. Intense shoot outs. Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours. Difficulty settings are really well done. Bullet time, and shoot dodge are
    Pros:
    Great story, about regret and guilt and overcoming obstacles.
    Amazing shooting mechanics, makes it top of it's class.
    Great protagonist.
    Intense shoot outs.
    Great missions, and a really good length of 12 hours.
    Difficulty settings are really well done.
    Bullet time, and shoot dodge are just plain cool.
    Graphics are fantastic and really detailed environments.

Cons:
    Last mission could of been better. Threw way too much enemies at you, made it a bit unrealistic
  22. Dec 25, 2012
    MAX PAYNE 3 is the best game in the franchise. The first MAX PAYNE just looked like THE MATRIX and the second was a bit better. MAX PAYNE 3 has great graphics, great voice acting, campaign and its one of the best games of 2012.
  23. Feb 19, 2015
    Easily one of the best, gritty and cinematic stories I've ever played. All of the previous mechanisms that made the series great are back and perfected to make the experience like none other. The game looks perfect, the story is never boring and keeps you wanting to play. This game would be getting a perfect rating if it wasn't for a few small things like the clunky multiplayer mode,Easily one of the best, gritty and cinematic stories I've ever played. All of the previous mechanisms that made the series great are back and perfected to make the experience like none other. The game looks perfect, the story is never boring and keeps you wanting to play. This game would be getting a perfect rating if it wasn't for a few small things like the clunky multiplayer mode, the longer than usual load times and the over the top difficulty at time. This is easily a game that I keep coming back to after many years. Expand
  24. Jun 15, 2012
    the best narrative and voice-acting I've experienced in the last 2 years in a videogame, Caffrey's voice and narration will doubtlessly shock you. The soundtrack is pretty nice and electronic. The controllers are a bit awkward but yeah
  25. Oct 11, 2012
    Without having another Max Payne game under my belt but having watched Man on Fire and the Max Payne I think I have different expectations and perception of this game than most people do. I really liked it! I thought the slow mo gunning down people was fantastic so much that I picked up other games after and was annoyed that it was too fast and I couldn't be as much of a bad ass. I neverWithout having another Max Payne game under my belt but having watched Man on Fire and the Max Payne I think I have different expectations and perception of this game than most people do. I really liked it! I thought the slow mo gunning down people was fantastic so much that I picked up other games after and was annoyed that it was too fast and I couldn't be as much of a bad ass. I never really got bored of the weapons even though it felt like I was constantly using the same weapons. The ammo scarcity was really great to the point that you were cautious about making your ammo count but not to the point that was it was debilitating if you overextended ammo here and there. The story is really what stood out to me. While I would normally argue that the cutscenes were long and frequent it was paired with commentary throughout the missions that made it melt together fairly seamlessly. Visually the game looked really good, nothing groundbreaking, but just really good. The atmosphere was perfect. At times you were a high rolling body guard bad ass at a cool location and other times you were a grimy piece of **** blasting your way though people. I know people were bothered by how the character didn't seem like a real Max Payne, but having not played the originals, and assuming the movie wasn't entirely accurate to the character in the games I really didn't have a clear vision of who Max Payne was. After playing Max Payne 3 I can say this, he is a harsh bitter ol alcoholic who will mow through the bad guys; most importantly, I like him. Expand
  26. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is amazing!The story is great,the combat is so much fun and the multiplayer is pretty good.Even thought the game is really cheap in stores.It's totally worth the money.
  27. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite some minor issues (and a couple that aren't so minor), Max Payne 3 still manages to be a first-class third-person shooter and is thus one of the better games of the year. More importantly, it's a welcome return for one of the shooter genre's better series. The years may not have been kind of Max, but it seems he hasn't missed a beat. Expand
  28. Aug 26, 2012
    I really enjoyed playing Max Payne 3 both the story and online multiplayer are solid and will keep you busy for hours.

First of all, the campaign was very good, and its story was top notch. This is by far one of the best campaigns I have ever seen in a recent title. The campaign is also long, but there isn't any replay vaule to be had. Multiplayer is also very solid. I have not had

Multiplayer is also very solid. I have not had a single disconnected game since I got it. Although I have to admit there is a very high number of lag switchers on there and there is also some weapon balancing issues. However regardless of these issues multiplayer is very fun to play. Graphically the game is fantastic, not as good as those found in Skyrim, but up at the very top. The textures, animations and character models are all top notch. Overall this is one of the few modern games that has both a decent single player and multiplayer. Rockstar have done a great job with this title.
  29. Jun 16, 2012
    An astonishing experience of a Single Player game: Max Payne 3 massively delivers a postmodern, hyper-real, ultra violent, realistic blast of pop culture shoot 'em up for 2012. Standing on its own as a complete story, Rock Star delivers a video game shooter experience loaded with reverence to 80s films by Michael Mann, Brian De Palma and even some hard boiled Hemingway dialogue with enoughAn astonishing experience of a Single Player game: Max Payne 3 massively delivers a postmodern, hyper-real, ultra violent, realistic blast of pop culture shoot 'em up for 2012. Standing on its own as a complete story, Rock Star delivers a video game shooter experience loaded with reverence to 80s films by Michael Mann, Brian De Palma and even some hard boiled Hemingway dialogue with enough Sam Peckinpah shoot outs to dizzy, engage and shock. It's also fresh and new, with a very shocking plot that reaches for a level of realism that video games(or even films) have yet to tackle. This game elevates the genre on dozens of levels. Expand
  30. May 15, 2012
    Max Payne is always been one of my most favourite franchises and this sequel is the best of the picking, with slick visuals, great shootouts and SLOW MOTION. You will have a lot of fun and with absence of loading screens it brings a breath of fresh air to cinematic games. With about 12 hours single player and a ton of replayability as well as two arcade type modes you won't get bored onMax Payne is always been one of my most favourite franchises and this sequel is the best of the picking, with slick visuals, great shootouts and SLOW MOTION. You will have a lot of fun and with absence of loading screens it brings a breath of fresh air to cinematic games. With about 12 hours single player and a ton of replayability as well as two arcade type modes you won't get bored on your own. If you do then you have multi-player which is amazingly fun and challenging. There is not regenerative health in the single player and it is hard so if you are expecting a call of duty, look elsewhere. Expand
  31. Mar 23, 2013
    It's been awhile since I've invested this many playthroughs into a single-player campaign. So far, I've run through the entire Max Payne 3 story now a total of four times and I plan on giving it another run as well. That's just how good it is. The rock-solid gunplay and mechanics when combined with the gritty and engaging narrative makes this easily one of the best experiences out there.It's been awhile since I've invested this many playthroughs into a single-player campaign. So far, I've run through the entire Max Payne 3 story now a total of four times and I plan on giving it another run as well. That's just how good it is. The rock-solid gunplay and mechanics when combined with the gritty and engaging narrative makes this easily one of the best experiences out there. The third outing in the Max Payne series primarily takes place in Brazil, although there are some flashback missions to Max's hometown of Hoboken, New Jersey. I was a little reluctant to play through a Max Payne game that was not taking place in a gritty, winter-blanketed city but I was very surprised at how attached I became to the new environment. The game looks fantastic and the blood effects shown in slow-mo never become stale. The gunplay is very tight, although there is a larger emphasis on utilizing cover than in previous Max Payne games, but it never feels out of place. If you're looking for a realistic shooter with a protagonist that is afraid to get shot, look elsewhere. This game places you in the shoes of one of the most badass action heroes in the history of gaming and it's not embarrassed to do so in any way. From diving out of a in-mid-air motorboat and blasting away numerous gangsters all the way to taking down entire SWAT teams with a single weapon, it's clear that Rockstar's intention was to make you feel as empowered as possible. However, that's not to say that the game is easy. In fact, Max Payne 3 is one of the more challenging games that I've played in recent memory. Enemies on higher difficulties are ridiculously accurate and never hesitate to bum-rush your cover if the opportunity arises. The AI can be brutally intelligent, utilizing these bum-rushing abilities at the most inconvenient times. If you go to reload, don't be surprised to see a few enemies instantly begin moving to flank you. Enemies also have a nasty habit of remaining in cover the moment you pop out to fire at them, which makes some of the later firefights unfair. If you have never played a Max Payne game before, you're in luck. While Max Payne 3 does touch back a few times to the previous entries, the events of the first two games is irrelevant to the storyline of the third one. However, it definitely helps to have played at least one of the previous titles, as they give you more background as to why Max is such a sullen and careless protagonist and why he has such substance-abuse problems. The story in the third Max Payne isn't perfect. It occasionally meanders and reveals pointless details in the overall plot that, as a player, you really just don't need to know. The entire story is also somewhat confusing, with bits and pieces coming out here and there that really fail to cohesively fit together. It will take several playthroughs for you to really grasp the entire concept of the storyline. Voice acting is absolutely superb and the actor that plays Max really shines. The narrative really captures Max's disgruntled mind and conveys to the player just how much pain a man can go through before he breaks. There's also an abundance of challenges to complete as well as awesome collectibles like golden weapons for those who fancy collecting things. Additional arcade modes and the New York Minute mode also add to the entire single-player package so there is no shortage of fun for those who shy away from online. However, if you do choose to play online, you will be greeted with essentially the same material that most other online games boast. You have custom classes, perks, and additional titles to unlock as you gain rank-ups. Stats and progression are intact and additional cosmetic unlockables are available as well. I was actually surprised at how fun the online was. Servers are great and there was never any lag when playing any of the game modes that are available. Unfortunately, the only drawback is the scant amount of players that are actually playing the online. At any given moment, there are probably around 1,500 total players online on a good day. If you can tolerate the small population online and sometimes longer-than-necessary matchmaking, an enjoyable experience is to be found. Overall, Max Payne 3 is one of the best games I've played in awhile. The single-player experience is an absolute joy and there is so much content to be had for perfectionists that grant many hours of gameplay. If you can tolerate the small amount of players online, then the multiplayer is also a rewarding feature. If you're a fan of the series or shooters in general, I highly recommend this game. Even if you're new to the franchise, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  32. May 18, 2012
    What makes Max payne 3 so great is that it stays true to the older games while still feeling new and fresh. When it comes down to the graphics, animations, and very addictive gameplay its pure gaming gold. Max payne 3 is one of the best games to come out this year and should be expirenced by any gamer. The only thing i diddent really enjoy is that it is very linear. Like the parts whereWhat makes Max payne 3 so great is that it stays true to the older games while still feeling new and fresh. When it comes down to the graphics, animations, and very addictive gameplay its pure gaming gold. Max payne 3 is one of the best games to come out this year and should be expirenced by any gamer. The only thing i diddent really enjoy is that it is very linear. Like the parts where it shows Max drinking in his appartment why dont we get to play that part instead of just watching it in a cutscene. But anyway it is a fantastic game. Expand
  33. May 19, 2012
    Gripping action and awesome bullet time mechanics! Max Payne 3 is a lot of fun. Granted the story is not very long and you can plow through it in a day or so. But I plan on playing through it again and again because the action is damn fun! The game is fantastically cinematic and the story is pretty well written too even though Max's life takes turns for the worst repeatedly. I reallyGripping action and awesome bullet time mechanics! Max Payne 3 is a lot of fun. Granted the story is not very long and you can plow through it in a day or so. But I plan on playing through it again and again because the action is damn fun! The game is fantastically cinematic and the story is pretty well written too even though Max's life takes turns for the worst repeatedly. I really recommend you check this out and a side note, the multiplayer is pretty fun as well! Expand
  34. May 17, 2013
    For me personally, this could easily be the best pure-bred shooter of all time. The content of the story is nothing new but the context is superb. The variety of settings is great. The narrative arc of MP3 is a predictable one but the shooting mechanics are insanely good. It is all about the violence. This is the closest that any game has gotten to matching those shootouts we know and loveFor me personally, this could easily be the best pure-bred shooter of all time. The content of the story is nothing new but the context is superb. The variety of settings is great. The narrative arc of MP3 is a predictable one but the shooting mechanics are insanely good. It is all about the violence. This is the closest that any game has gotten to matching those shootouts we know and love from films like Heat, Leon, Collateral, Die Hard, Under Siege etc.

Play it on Hard/Hardcore, it will rile you but the adrenaline will flow. Admittedly Max Payne 3 only does one thing, but nobody does it better.
  35. May 25, 2012
    I'm from Brazil, and the rich details on all levels and favelas is amazing. I don't live on favela, but i know places like that, and Rockstar did ONE MORE TIME a perfect job. Many lessons learned with Uncharted, but MP3 but the shooter on another high level.
  36. May 16, 2012
    This game, once you get the controls down to where you are comfortable moving around, taking cover, etc. is definitely worth checking out. I have always been happy with Rockstar because they give you $60 worth of a game. I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and L.A. Noire. All of these titles were worth their price. Surprisingly, the campaign in this game kept me guessing. I expected toThis game, once you get the controls down to where you are comfortable moving around, taking cover, etc. is definitely worth checking out. I have always been happy with Rockstar because they give you $60 worth of a game. I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and L.A. Noire. All of these titles were worth their price. Surprisingly, the campaign in this game kept me guessing. I expected to go in guns blazing most time, but sometimes things happened that weren't like anything I guessed. The multiplayer is also worth checking out. The ease of play within the multiplayer part of the game surprised me also. Most games have camping, elite players, etc. This game encourages everyone to play, and you are rewarded for doing so. Overall, this game is worth playing. Expand
  37. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is one of the hallmarks of this game. As Rockstar just opened Max Payne's life and filled it with despair, death, and pain as his journey through Brazil, New York, and Panama just got even worse by the second. After having his wife and child taken from him, his life fell apart and he was reduced to painkillers and alcohol. Then after getting the mod to hunt him down it was time he left Hoboken with his new friend and partner, Passos. Getting into private security for a rich wealthy family he thought he could escape and live without a crosshair on his back till extremist and gangs started hunting them down. But soon after people of the family get kidnapped and held hostage, Max finds himself in the binds of a moral choice to save them. This game is a rollercoaster of action and characters. As it takes you from the high society of wealth down to the lowest vermin infested favelas where action seems to drive you through this game.

38. May 23, 2012
    Straight up amazing. As a fan of the original two games which I still have and played in the weeks before the release of 3 I can honestly say this game blows me away. The visuals are fantastic as is just about everything else from the narrative to the controls. You are quite literally the death dealer personified thanks to the fantastic bullet time Rockstar has implemented in thisStraight up amazing. As a fan of the original two games which I still have and played in the weeks before the release of 3 I can honestly say this game blows me away. The visuals are fantastic as is just about everything else from the narrative to the controls. You are quite literally the death dealer personified thanks to the fantastic bullet time Rockstar has implemented in this iteration of the series. The cut scenes are gorgeous and done with fantastic visual effects that depict Max's internal struggle with his addiction and demons from the past. Everything is just over the top. I honestly was not expecting much from the multiplayer in this game as I bought it for the story and single player campaign but again Rockstar has delivered the goods in a big way. The maps are great, although they could use a few more but it's early still. There are tons of customization options for your characters and weapons. They also have a great perk system based on adrenaline from kills that has 3 levels of effect for each perk. All of the options combine to allow you to create fantastic load outs for your character. If you are a long time fan of Max or even if you have never played the series before MP3 is a MUST have for any gamer. Expand
  39. May 15, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is Totally Awesome in every way.
    Max Payne 3 is Totally Awesome in every way.
    Now I was never a fan boy of this series way back in the XBOX/PS2 day's,but so far I'm loving everything this game has to offer.The single player is fun with great Voice acting and awesome gun play.the story does start off kinda boring, but after awhile Max Payne 3 is all out guns blazing balls to you're face action that doesn't hold you're hand.Ohh and let's talk about the multi-player *which is Totally AWSOME*there was allot of love put into the multi-player It's waaay to addicting and the lvl up system is a great addition to the none stop action on screen.If I could give this game a 9.75 I would But instead I'm giving Max Payne 3 a 9 out of 10.this is a contender for Game of the Year.
  40. Jul 16, 2012
    I am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried someI am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried some of the multiplayer and let me tell you it ain't bad either. I cant wait to get back on! EASY 10 Expand
  41. May 22, 2012
    Sure Max got a new look, he´s older now but not rusty enough to stop shooting bad guys with style, again. The only bad point for me is that using cover is much better than jumping around and use bullet time, this and the long cut scenes are a big difference to the first 2 games, that only had comic-strips between the chapters. The story and the characters are very cool, theSure Max got a new look, he´s older now but not rusty enough to stop shooting bad guys with style, again. The only bad point for me is that using cover is much better than jumping around and use bullet time, this and the long cut scenes are a big difference to the first 2 games, that only had comic-strips between the chapters. The story and the characters are very cool, the graphics could be better but I love them because they´re really beautiful and when you play Max Payne 3 you feel like your in an John Woo-movie. The game-play is fast-paced and the controls feel very smooth. The sound is just perfect and the voice acting is great too. When I bought the game I did´nt thought about it`s multiplayer-part at all, but after 2 playthroughs I tried it out and now I´m addicted to it`s great multiplayer-mode. You can unlock and then buy lots of weapons and you can then unlock mods for them. In addition there are so called "bursts" (for example bullet time) and equipment-slots, helmets and body-armors. You can also play with to one handed weapons, for example an Mac 10 in your left and an desert eagle in your right, just imagine that. haha... Max Payne 3 is just fantastic and surely a must-have! Expand
  42. Jan 27, 2014
    The story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'mThe story was cool the gameplay was awesome and the cinematic cut-scenes were cool. Playing this game is like being part of a movie. Max payne's voice as usual is cheesy and too deep. I'm not a huge story mode player but this game keeps you interested. The graphics are typical for rockstar and work out alright. The bullet-time mode is a nice touch and has improved some since 1 and 2. I'm all about multiplayer mode and this game didn't disappoint. Flat 8. Expand
  43. May 18, 2012
    Campaign is nice, im 4 hours into it and its good, but the multiplayer is fantastic, i should give this game a 10 because of the trolls giving it a 4 or less but whatever, if you like third person shooters and online shooters this is a must buy, i dont give 2 **** what everybody else says this game is a solid 9 and that the end of it.
  44. Nov 30, 2014
    The best feature about this game is bullet time, it's so awesome! This is a really good 3rd person shooter. It has a good story line and awesome slow-mo shooting scenes. The only bad thing about it are the cutscenes, some are unskippable and repetitive. But the game is really good and really addictive.
  45. May 16, 2012
    Man on Fire: The Video Game. That's really my assessment of Max Payne 3. It's like Denzel's classic movie but with Max Payne and a different kidnapped girl. All the beats are pretty much the same but the game kicks bareknuckle ass. I booted up the game and started playing on Hard difficulty. Having not played Max Payne in a while it took a while to adjust to the controls and the AI wasMan on Fire: The Video Game. That's really my assessment of Max Payne 3. It's like Denzel's classic movie but with Max Payne and a different kidnapped girl. All the beats are pretty much the same but the game kicks bareknuckle ass. I booted up the game and started playing on Hard difficulty. Having not played Max Payne in a while it took a while to adjust to the controls and the AI was pretty tough to beat at first on this difficulty so I felt frustrated and wasn't really into the game. But as this train gets chugging along man oh man does it NEVER STOP. And I mean it, the relentless pace of Max Payne 3 is without question insane. If there's not a cutscene going on then bet your ass there is a balls to the wall shootout or a ingeniously designed action set piece to dazzle your eyes and boggle your mind. It's like Rockstar is trying to channel there inner Naughty Dog with this effort. And for the most part they succeed. Where they fail, is in the graphics for me. And before you jump my bones, let me explain. Alot of the game is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. Particularly Max Payne's rendering himself and some of the locales (like when Max switches to that Hawaiin shirt and battles gangs in the slums....GORGEOUS. However, there are FAR TOO MANY framerate jumps and poor textures in this game. And some of the animations look just as bad as they did on GTA4. And that was made five years ago. And the nonstop shootouts CAN get just a tad repetitive although they are a blast to play. Aside from that, where Max Payne 3 really shines is in it's characterization and character development of it's lead hero. This is INCREDIBLY well done. You literally feel like you're in the mind of Max. You feel his pain, his frustration, his addiction, his regret, his inner demons and turmoul. You feel sorry for the guy. So when he kicks ass, you're rooting for him. That's one helluva accomplishment. The flashbacks are brilliantly done as well. All in all the game is seriously fun. The second best shooter I've played this Gen behind the Uncharted series and another GREAT game in the Rockstar library. These guys are just ALWYAS delivering the goods. Expand
  46. Jun 4, 2012
    Best third person shooter ive ever played(.) amazing graphics, and amazing story. Max is now my fav. Video game character. The best part of the game is the slow motion (bullet time) this is achieved by geting kills, and filling up your meter.. Then you can use it... Diving of biuldings, and down staircases in slow mo is awsome. And the story is good.. They some how managed to integrate theBest third person shooter ive ever played(.) amazing graphics, and amazing story. Max is now my fav. Video game character. The best part of the game is the slow motion (bullet time) this is achieved by geting kills, and filling up your meter.. Then you can use it... Diving of biuldings, and down staircases in slow mo is awsome. And the story is good.. They some how managed to integrate the bullet time into multiplayer.. It sounds crazy, but if you get enough kills, u can put everyone else in slow mo. The multiplayer isnt as good as the single, but is still good. Alot of customizing, and abilitys. I loved this game. Expand
  47. lox
    May 19, 2014
    Surprisingly the first Max Payne game I've ver played, and I really really liked it. My only real gripe is the cutscenes were a little too long at times. But as a whole Max Payne 3 is gritty, immersive fun with great voice acting, a movie-like story and insanely fun multiplayer.
  48. Aug 10, 2012
    I've awaited the return of Max Payne for so long and I was not disappointed at all. Max Payne is a stunning game. It has amazing graphics and shooting. The bullet time is better than ever. The story is dark and depressing with what I thought was a very simple and effective ending. It has one of the more sophisticated stories of 2012. I recommend this to fans of games.
  49. Dec 31, 2012
    Great storyline and decent game play keep Max Payne alive and worth your while. I picked up the special edition at Gamestop on sale for $20.00. This package is well worth the price. I am addicted to this game and the story has me coming back for more. This game is well written and as always a little twisted with the characters choices.
  50. Jul 5, 2012
    As a huge fan of the Max Payne series, I can honestly say I love MP3. From the great story telling, to the awesome visual style, to the execution of gameplay, MP3 is a great game that deserves praise in almost every area. I say almost because having been such a big Payne fan, I still have not touched multiplayer since that has never been the push of the series. I have no problem with it,As a huge fan of the Max Payne series, I can honestly say I love MP3. From the great story telling, to the awesome visual style, to the execution of gameplay, MP3 is a great game that deserves praise in almost every area. I say almost because having been such a big Payne fan, I still have not touched multiplayer since that has never been the push of the series. I have no problem with it, but still cannot bring myself to dive into it as I fear it may not live up to the how great the campaign is. Still, I would expect it to be as action packed as the rest of the game. Expand
  51. Nov 2, 2012
    Slow mo violence never looked and felt so good. MP3 is an incredible game with an amazing single player story that will have you travelling all over the world. The games mechanics are spot on, coupled with the superb bullet-time game and you have yourself the best action movie shot on a 6mm camera. The design is killer, and gameplay feels rewarding. This isn't one of those FPS shootersSlow mo violence never looked and felt so good. MP3 is an incredible game with an amazing single player story that will have you travelling all over the world. The games mechanics are spot on, coupled with the superb bullet-time game and you have yourself the best action movie shot on a 6mm camera. The design is killer, and gameplay feels rewarding. This isn't one of those FPS shooters that just pushes you through making you feel frustrated and pressured. No, instead in MP3 after every kill you feel a bit of satisfaction and reward for accomplishing a "diving-double head shot in slow-mo". This game has outdone itself both technically, and with the encompassing storyline. MP3 is a buy! A must buy. Get it! :3 Expand
  52. May 15, 2012
    well,the main thing a person looks in any product is that it should be a fun experience worth playing. Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.It is a game more focused on story as all the previous max Payne's have been and packs satisfying gunplay to boot.It may not be THE BEST third person shooter out there but max payne 3's gameplay and story lives up to expectations with multiplayerwell,the main thing a person looks in any product is that it should be a fun experience worth playing. Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.It is a game more focused on story as all the previous max Payne's have been and packs satisfying gunplay to boot.It may not be THE BEST third person shooter out there but max payne 3's gameplay and story lives up to expectations with multiplayer being a riot. So if you want to play something fun with a serious storyline as well as gr8 multiplayer,max payne 3 is the game to get. Expand
  53. May 27, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game and contains loads of fun. The singleplayer story is well written and voice acted, again Rockstar games raises the bar for what I think is a good 3rd person shooter. The gameplay is really fun and the realistic guns add a lot to the game. As I said before the story is awesome, Rockstar proves that you can have a gritty noir game in a city that is foreign. ToMax Payne 3 is a great game and contains loads of fun. The singleplayer story is well written and voice acted, again Rockstar games raises the bar for what I think is a good 3rd person shooter. The gameplay is really fun and the realistic guns add a lot to the game. As I said before the story is awesome, Rockstar proves that you can have a gritty noir game in a city that is foreign. To add to the overall package the multiplayer is also very fun and will keep you playing for lots of hours to unlock guns. Max Payne 3 is one of the best games this year and if you miss out on it your going to regret it. Expand
  54. Mar 1, 2014
    Definitely not one of the most original games out there, but still the same essential gameplay that makes Max Payne enjoyable to play. Definitely worth rental, as there isn't a ton of replay value. Overall, a very fun, if somewhat short and straightforward experience that shouldn't disappoint fans of both Max Payne titles, and shooters in general.
  55. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is amazing....awesome graphics,voice acting, gun fight and else...but still not better than Max Payne 2....the multiplayer si really fun too...but the story it aint that good(max payne 1 and 2 was 10 times better ) ....to be honest sao paulo as place to fight is not that good as New York (that few missions in new york are the best missions in the game)....max payne 3 its aThis game is amazing....awesome graphics,voice acting, gun fight and else...but still not better than Max Payne 2....the multiplayer si really fun too...but the story it aint that good(max payne 1 and 2 was 10 times better ) ....to be honest sao paulo as place to fight is not that good as New York (that few missions in new york are the best missions in the game)....max payne 3 its a masterpiece but the not perfect...a 9 from me Expand
  56. May 23, 2012
    I beat the original Max Payne when I was in high school and have been a long time fan for many years. I just finished Max Payne 3 and it's amazing. Everything is good about the game but the story is the best part, you really feel like you are Max and you're making a stand. Buy this game, you won't regret it!
  57. Oct 18, 2012
    Max Payne 3 isn't an open world game like most of rockstar's games, nether the less it is a solid experience. The story had me hooked from the beginning and Brazil is a beautiful location. You play as a bodyguard for Rodrigo Branco, but after things go wrong you end up shooting your way out of most situations. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is tight and the shootdodge mechanic isMax Payne 3 isn't an open world game like most of rockstar's games, nether the less it is a solid experience. The story had me hooked from the beginning and Brazil is a beautiful location. You play as a bodyguard for Rodrigo Branco, but after things go wrong you end up shooting your way out of most situations. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is tight and the shootdodge mechanic is so rewarding. If you don't like overly long cut scenes then i would probably steer clear of this game as there are a lot of them, otherwise i would recommend this game. Expand
  58. Aug 29, 2012
    For being a linear story game Max Payne feels like open world. I mean that in a sense that no matter how many times the same thing you do in each chapter or level it doesn't feel the same, and actually very fun and cinematic feel. I give the story pacing a very good 9/10, the only reason why it didn't get 10/10 is because it felt rushed at the last minute. Then the character development isFor being a linear story game Max Payne feels like open world. I mean that in a sense that no matter how many times the same thing you do in each chapter or level it doesn't feel the same, and actually very fun and cinematic feel. I give the story pacing a very good 9/10, the only reason why it didn't get 10/10 is because it felt rushed at the last minute. Then the character development is extremely good for a game. You fell for Max and you want him to win, ironically he doesn't all the time which makes for good plot twist often very depressing. I would give characters and character development a 10/10 and plot 10/10, both did really well because of how serious the game felt without being like a soap opera, with the terrible acting and stupid plot twist. Then the multiplayer is really good too. I mean it is really balanced and gang wars is interesting and alot of replyability and bullet time. The only thing holding it back is that leveling up can sometimes feel like a long time. Now the only thing that is really drops the score for me is character mobility. Now i decided to score this because of two reasons. One is that they had a huge budget to spend and it is a linear game to details like this can often make or break a linear game. Two is because it is very important aspect because max Payne is a hard game, and often cover to cover is the only way to survive especially in multiplayer. Now i know in campaign Max isn't some Ezio and he can't really do parkour or barrel rolls with ease or anything like that but when it comes to multiplayer it feels like my guy no matter how heavy or like he/she is, it still feels like a big tank and somewhat slow which feels very awkward, and at times it feels like my avatar just ate 3 big macs with large fries. So unfortunately because of multiplayer character control i have to give character feel a 6/10. Its good in campaign but in multiplayer it can be really frustrating. Now adding up the scores this game receives 45/50 or a 9/10 for me. Expand
  59. Aug 27, 2012
    At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game,At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game, it'll take you for one hell of a ride. Collapse
  60. May 17, 2012
    Really love Max Payne 3 a lot. I am on chapter 3 of the single player and it has me so engaged. I can't recall the last time I was into a single player of game this much (Maybe Bulletstorm). The multiplayer is really fun as well. I think this is for sure a must own game. Even if your not super big on shooters you will enjoy it due to it's great story, cut scenes, graphics and voice acting.
  61. Jun 22, 2013
    This is good and excellent game it gets half of the things right for a good game but accept it has one flaw that holds it back one those very annoying visual effects uhh every second it felt like I was in Kane and Lynch uhh I hate those things but you must by this title because it introduces you. You have a very good battles but this a game you must buy not let it slip off your hands.
  62. May 18, 2012
    Forget that guys that doesn't know appreciate different ways to present a game. Max Payne 3 have the most recent way to tell us a excellent cinematographic story and a terrific graphics. This game will be remember as one of the better games in 2012. I know that this is no a GOTY (maybe), but is in the level of any good game in this year. Thanks Rockstar for this excellent game and thanksForget that guys that doesn't know appreciate different ways to present a game. Max Payne 3 have the most recent way to tell us a excellent cinematographic story and a terrific graphics. This game will be remember as one of the better games in 2012. I know that this is no a GOTY (maybe), but is in the level of any good game in this year. Thanks Rockstar for this excellent game and thanks Remedy for create Max Payne. Expand
  63. May 15, 2012
    This is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful asThis is truly a fantastic game. Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours. The graphics, full of detail and constantly very colorful and at times and very beautiful as well. The characters, brimming with interesting personality traits all while delivering quick, intriguing, and sometimes very funny lines. The action and gameplay, a huge amount of fun that never grows tiring and always works well and correctly. And Max Payne himself, as engaging and engrossing a character as ever while also being voiced wonderfully by James McCaffrey. With an endlessly fun multiplayer and an incredibly involving story this comes up to make this game is yet another triumph to add to Rockstar's list! Expand
  64. Oct 16, 2012
    It is clear that Max Payne 3 has been used "the latest technology, innovative design, large mechanical and absorbing narrative and people to redefine the third-person shooters", do not think they redefined anything, but have become one of shooting games I've played most powerful in the entire generation.
  65. Jul 15, 2012
    The fact of the matter is that the only way to really appreciate and avoid some valid criticisms of Max Payne 3, one must see this game as more of a new envisioning of the franchise. What made the original game stand out aside from the bullet time gameplay was minute details; the fact that groups of enemies had hilarious conversations between each other, or the ingenious narrative withThe fact of the matter is that the only way to really appreciate and avoid some valid criticisms of Max Payne 3, one must see this game as more of a new envisioning of the franchise. What made the original game stand out aside from the bullet time gameplay was minute details; the fact that groups of enemies had hilarious conversations between each other, or the ingenious narrative with catchy phrases that practically defines the noir genre, and the entire dark shades and tones that overtook the graphics- Max Payne 3 does not so much do away with these things as update and modernize the series to meet the standards of today.

For some players, immersion may be instantaneous from the hook, and for others, it may take longer, and there may be those who essentially give up because they find it mundane, however; the game is best seen like a playable movie that, by the second disc, truly shines: The narrative becomes more astute, the character of Max Payne becomes polished, and the story begins to pick up with quite some twists and turns.

The gameplay is so refined that this game is the pinnacle of its genre and with the graphics and attention to detail being by far the best for action shooters thus far, Max Payne 3 truly shines as the must have and must play for anyone who wants an experience beyond anything out in the market.

Another important note is the surprising amount of replay value and goodies, such as collectible
  66. May 17, 2012
    Solid gameplay and unquestionably impressive graphics. However, I do feel it's 'been there done that' terrain we've encountered one too many times before.
  67. May 23, 2012
    this game is addictive and lots of fun. I enjoyed the story(although some might find it a bit predictable), the combat is also great(although, I would have liked to be able to carry a few more weapons, and at least 1 or 2 explosives). The only problem I had with it is that I couldn't put it down and now I am finished with the game (only 4 days after I got it). Though, I can see me playingthis game is addictive and lots of fun. I enjoyed the story(although some might find it a bit predictable), the combat is also great(although, I would have liked to be able to carry a few more weapons, and at least 1 or 2 explosives). The only problem I had with it is that I couldn't put it down and now I am finished with the game (only 4 days after I got it). Though, I can see me playing it again sometime in the future. Expand
  68. Aug 2, 2012
    The game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the gameThe game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the game does have its flaws,some players do cheat in online and the story is very hard to follow if you're a new comer to the Max Payne story.The multiplayer will need a little time to get the hang of but other than that the game is amazingly fun. Expand
  69. May 15, 2012
    graphic in this game is great but it isn t the best ever,gameplay and AI is REALY THE BEST EVERRRRRR,game is short but story is great I so love this game keep up the good work Rockstar
  70. May 24, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is probably the best 3rd person shooter I have ever played. I know with it being a Rockstar game you're expected to get a well developed, an outstanding quality product and an immersive experience, Rockstar certainly have done this.

To me MP3 makes you actually care about the characters involved in the story especially MP himself, not many games can make you feel emotional for the protagonist or what is happening around them, once again Rockstar deliver for what their renowned for and thats focusing on giving the audience the best experience possible from the campaign. A lot of people are complaining about the cutscene transition, as far as I'm aware this have never been done in a game before and it works so well, there is a good balance of gameplay and cutscences (I didn't notice there being so many cutscenes that most of the game is based around watching rather than playing?) you never feel lost as to what is happening and it's really immersive how you suddenly become involved in the frantic shootouts. I personally don't feel Rockstar have taken away the core of the MP nostalgia, if anything they have developed on it and embraced it and have made it something their own which to me is a great thing, because we all know that the MP franchise (if they continue with any sequels) is in good hands and they will never dissapoint. The multiplayer aspect of the game is a nice and interesting concept because the previous MP games didn't have the kind of technology or experience to discover how bullet time could work in multiplayer. It's a lof of fun and quite addictive and just feels like a scale downed version of GTA 4 with bullet time but that's not a bad thing.

However the real main reason to pick this game up is for the single player, anyone whom is a MP fan or is new to the series, I reccommend this game without shadow of a doubt you will not be disappointed.
  71. May 19, 2012
    Rockstar has done it again! Max Payne 3 is just another great game that Rockstar has developed! The gameplay is very smooth, and transactions from gameplay to cutscene or cutscene to gameplay is very well done as it is the smoothest that I have ever played. I did not play any of the earlier Max Paynes so I was a little bit worried that I would be lost in the story. Thankfully this wasn'tRockstar has done it again! Max Payne 3 is just another great game that Rockstar has developed! The gameplay is very smooth, and transactions from gameplay to cutscene or cutscene to gameplay is very well done as it is the smoothest that I have ever played. I did not play any of the earlier Max Paynes so I was a little bit worried that I would be lost in the story. Thankfully this wasn't the case I was able to pick the game up and play, as well as know what was going on. The multiplayer is extreamly addicting and fun to play. With so many different modes like, Gang Wars, Team Deathmatch, and just plain old deathmatch (free for all) THE VERDICT: Max Payne 3 is a great game and I suggest that everyone go out and buy it. The game is even better with friends. Nothing like kicking back with a couple of buddies and playing some Gang wars (which will give you alot of cash, and XP! Stay thirsty gamers Expand
  72. May 21, 2012
    Max Payne bring back memories, Max Payne 2 was one of my favorite games, I've been waiting for this game and hoped that it will not suck.
    what do you know, I was right, this game.. this game is god damn awsome.
    what do you know, I was right, this game.. this game is god damn awsome.
    the animation of Max really makes you feel like you are Max, the graphics are very good but there is some low detail graphics here and there I believe it is because of the limited power of the console and not the actual game.
    the gameplay is.. amazing, one of the best - if not the best gun play I've played. the enemies feels aware and the AI is changed based on what kind of enemy it is - oh and btw this game made me learn - flak jacket is one hell of protection.
    the sound and voice acting is very good, same old max, dark depressed and sarcastic.
    the multiplayer have lots to unlock and load of challenges to complete, the mods are fun to play and bursts make the game interesting.
    I will not spoil the story - I will end it here.
    this game is great, buy it, play it, have a lot of fun with it.
  73. Jul 13, 2012
    What a game. It reinvents what it created to begin with. Pure innovation. Great to the point it feels like a movie. Online play isn't your regular Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but it does try.
  74. May 18, 2012
    What an amazing game! Im a huge fan of remedy and max payne, and rockstar have done a great job!
    Even if you havent played max payne , this is the best TPS of this generation...

Fantastic story, fantastic gameplay...sound is amazing.

Go buy it now!
  75. May 16, 2012
    I have never played a Max Payne game before but this game intrigued me and boy am I glad I bought it! If anyone is doubting buying this because they've never played the series, buy it because it is loads of fun. The story is very cinematic and has a great premise. The story immerses you into the game and makes you want to keep playing. The multiplayer is fun as well but its more fun if youI have never played a Max Payne game before but this game intrigued me and boy am I glad I bought it! If anyone is doubting buying this because they've never played the series, buy it because it is loads of fun. The story is very cinematic and has a great premise. The story immerses you into the game and makes you want to keep playing. The multiplayer is fun as well but its more fun if you play with a crew. Overall its a pretty good game and I recommend it to anyone who likes third person shooters or shooters in general. Graphics are a 9/10, gameplay is a 10/10, lasting appeal is a 9/10, and story is a 10/10 Expand
  76. Jun 3, 2012
    It's Rockstar game but it's far from GTA or RDR. Some complain about the cinematics frequency but for me this game is like good, adult action movie and I definitely like such story driven gameplay. I am a fan of first Max Payne but this game couldn't (and shouldn't) resemble that classic. Instead we've got modern gameplay mechanics combined with great story of redemption and revenge. MaxIt's Rockstar game but it's far from GTA or RDR. Some complain about the cinematics frequency but for me this game is like good, adult action movie and I definitely like such story driven gameplay. I am a fan of first Max Payne but this game couldn't (and shouldn't) resemble that classic. Instead we've got modern gameplay mechanics combined with great story of redemption and revenge. Max may be older but he's still badass. Expand
  77. Sep 2, 2012
    a very good game but it has a grim and depressing story some times upsetting but is very good!
    multiplayer is the best PVP games i have been in killing other player is so much better this game wipes the floor with Call Of Duty
  78. Aug 21, 2012
    I was skeptical whether I would like this Rockstar game at first but soon found out that this is a worthwhile game to play through once or twice. The graphics are about what you would hope for in a title at this point in current gen games. The bullet time effect and kill cam can make you feel like a true action hero at times and once you get used to the somewhat annoying controls, you\'llI was skeptical whether I would like this Rockstar game at first but soon found out that this is a worthwhile game to play through once or twice. The graphics are about what you would hope for in a title at this point in current gen games. The bullet time effect and kill cam can make you feel like a true action hero at times and once you get used to the somewhat annoying controls, you\'ll find yourself rolling in and out of cover positions about as gracefully as you can expect a middle aged, drunken; out of shape bad ass can. The controls and cover system definitely aren\'t ad precise as say GR: Future soldier, however Max Payne isn\'t exactly the special forces type. Despite the somewhat wonky controls the story flows seamlessly from one chapter to the next. It gives you a glimpse into Max\'s life and shows the depths of his sorrow. All in all it\'s a lot of fun. Expand
  79. May 23, 2012
    I have waited for this game for quite a while. The first two games were some of my best experiences I had when I owned the original xbox. This game was not what I had envisioned but I was more than satisfied even though there are a few things I did not like. Max Payne feels more real this time around his personality shines through. At the end you get to see an angry and determined MaxI have waited for this game for quite a while. The first two games were some of my best experiences I had when I owned the original xbox. This game was not what I had envisioned but I was more than satisfied even though there are a few things I did not like. Max Payne feels more real this time around his personality shines through. At the end you get to see an angry and determined Max hell bent on bringing the Payne. The gameplay isn't bad but there are a few small minor bugs/issues/bad ideas that frustrated me. Max can now take cover behind obstacles but it isn't a responsive or swift transgression when you're in a very intense fire fight and you want to move around as quickly as possible. There are moments after a cut scene when Max will switch to a one handed weapon instead of the two handed you were holding. That irritated the hell out of me. The presentation is top notch and is quite possibly one of the best in the history of the xbox 360. Story is told so well that it becomes highly memorable more so than recent 'blockbuster' games. It does get slow having to watch the cut scenes over and over again when all you want to do is shoot baddies. The loading times are also brutal. I don't see much of the old Max Payne series in this game so I would count this as a re-visioned Max Payne and not the one for the first two games. All in all it's a good single player experience and the multiplayer is average not something to really get excited about. "It's Payneee!!!!!" -Max Payne 2 Expand
  80. Aug 5, 2012
    Rockstar manages to deliver a high quality shooter. The third installment to the series boasts stunning visuals and physics, a lengthy and story-driven singleplayer campaign, as well as a competent multiplayer component. Max Payne 3 is by no means perfect, for instance by featuring a wee bit many cutscenes, but it's still a very enjoyable game.
  81. Dec 19, 2012
    It's kind of hard to explain how much fun Max Payne 3 really is. As a huge fan of Rockstar Games' work, I went into Max Payne thinking it would be awesome, and it was. Max has lived a troubled life. His family has been murdered. And he has become addicted to pain meds and alcohol. After being discharged from the NYPD because of involvement in criminal activities, Max has traveled to SaoIt's kind of hard to explain how much fun Max Payne 3 really is. As a huge fan of Rockstar Games' work, I went into Max Payne thinking it would be awesome, and it was. Max has lived a troubled life. His family has been murdered. And he has become addicted to pain meds and alcohol. After being discharged from the NYPD because of involvement in criminal activities, Max has traveled to Sao Paulo, Brazil with an old friend of his to work as a bodyguard for the rich and famous real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco. Max hopes that this will be easy work, a good "retirement plan," but things soon don't go as planned and Max is put right in the middle of another war. Max's story, to say the least, is arguably the best story of 2012. I'm not going to spoil anything about the story, but it features some of the biggest twists that take the campaign down a deep, dark, and gruesome road. The visuals in this game could not be better. Although I did witness some audio troubles during the cutscene to gameplay transitions, something that Max Payne is known for. Cutscenes are a massive part of this game too. Max Payne 3 is practically an interactive movie, where the cutscenes are the loading screens and they blend with the gameplay. This can be frustrating at times though. If you're looking to return to a mission hoping to get an achievement or a trophy, you have to watch the cutscenes entirely. The campaign is the best part of the whole experience. Let's not forget about the killer gameplay and controls. The gameplay is constantly smooth and never choppy. In Max Payne, you have special abilities like Bullet Dodge and Bullet Time. With Bullet Dodge, Max jumps into the air in slow motion, allowing him to finish off any remaining enemies with more precision, while at the same time dodging bullets that are shot. Bullet Time is similar, Max slows down time and finishes off enemies. Multiplayer is also a major plus to Max Payne. You have your standard modes like Free-for-all and Team Deathmatch, but you also have the unique modes like Payne Killer, where someone plays as Max and his partner Passos and the rest of the lobby attempts to kill them, and Gang Wars, a story-like game mode that consists of five different stages where one team triumphs over the other. Both of these modes are fun and really enjoyable. In conclusion, Max Payne is an incredible experience that sure isn't to be missed. Some audio issues and an annoying cutscene problem are this games downfall. But not by much. Expand
  82. Nov 25, 2013
    The campaign is nice, the multiplayer is good but don´t have a thing that makes you with a need to play it. It´s another good work from rockstar but for me it can be better and for me the grade of this game is 8
  83. May 15, 2012
    This game is simply awesome. We have been waiting too long for new maxe payne but we made it and as the result is very good game with nice graphic and with good gameplay. Story is not longer as it can be but still good. Max gets little bit older but he can still shoot and with combination of bullet time and story you get nice continue of previous chapter.
  84. May 19, 2012
    This is probably the best action game i have played in a long, long time. The Graphics is ok, but the story is awesome, the characters are interesting and the engine the game uses if freaking amazing!

I love Max Payne 3. Maybe some dont and i really dont understand that, i would say that every Max Payne fan will love this game. I will give it 10 because there to many being totally

I will give it 10 because there to many being totally unreasonable. This game deserves the best score possible. There are too many games out there, which sucks, Max Payne 3 needs to be recognized and remembered as one of the really good action games.
  85. May 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game, at first I was a little afraid of them going to a more sunny location and that max was bald and me thinking he was a drunk & depressed person, but BOY was I wrong when I got the game. Graphics is nice, story is extremely well done and the gameplay is fun. All the complains about that there is to much cut scenes and sh*t, makes me dissapointed, the Max Payne franchise is based on heavy usage of cut scenes and them dragging out for a bit, that's because of the BIG story they are trying to tell, and not some half baked COD story that makes no sense after the first few hour's.

My only complaint has to be the ending, I felt that it did not give enough closure and also that it was the shortest cut scene of all of the ones that was in the game. They could really have putted a few minutes with him saying why he went were he went and what he is going to do from now on and out.

But anyway, I also have to talk a little about multiplayer. I did not play much of it because of me not getting into matches, all it did was creating a new match with me alone and nobody coming in to it. However I did get into 3 matches and of what I did play I have to say that it is promising and the maps are well build't. Not to big and not to small.

I give this a 10/10! If you're a big suc*er for R* games like me then you have to get this. If not then get it because of the excellent story line that R* have put together, but I have to warn you if you don't like cut scenes much, then this game may not be something for you because of the long cut scenes that the game got (Some even going for 5-8 minutes).
  86. Jul 2, 2012
    Rock star Games did an amazing job on this game. The campaign is intense, fun, action packed. You get right into the story and don't want to stop playing. Only bad thing i noticed of the story is it hard to go back to the main menu, kinda long cut scenes. Multiplayer is crazy good, its balanced, lots of weapons and customization. Beautiful graphics and good realistic actions to theRock star Games did an amazing job on this game. The campaign is intense, fun, action packed. You get right into the story and don't want to stop playing. Only bad thing i noticed of the story is it hard to go back to the main menu, kinda long cut scenes. Multiplayer is crazy good, its balanced, lots of weapons and customization. Beautiful graphics and good realistic actions to the multiplayer. When a grenade goes off you get thrown back from the explosion. You get shot in the leg you fall over or stumble. Overall the game has fun game play, good graphics, realistic features no other game has. Expand
  87. Feb 5, 2013
    I love this game so much the gunplay is so much fun and the story is one of mt favorite ever i love max and passos and the graphics are good to the gameplay is so much fun even if it gets almost to hard at the end but this game is so good
  88. Jun 24, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is all of that and much more.It is a game more focused on story as all the previous max Payne's have been and packs satisfying gunplay to boot.It may not be THE BEST third person shooter out there but Max Payne 3's gameplay and story lives up to expectations with multiplayer being a riot. The game is great fun and the multiplayer is very unique to any other third person shooters.
  89. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is GREAT! No way around it, the action is fast and fluid. The cinematography is the best to date in video games along with the animations which are also top notch. The graphics will wow you more than once, many times I found myself getting distracted with backdrops and general attention to detail. Also sound will blow you away with fantastic voice acting and bullets whizzing byThis game is GREAT! No way around it, the action is fast and fluid. The cinematography is the best to date in video games along with the animations which are also top notch. The graphics will wow you more than once, many times I found myself getting distracted with backdrops and general attention to detail. Also sound will blow you away with fantastic voice acting and bullets whizzing by your head. Sometimes in the middle of playing you will have a movie play halting the action, it throws you off but when you realize its in the place of a loading screen now I wait for the load screens because there so damn good. Multi-player is a normal suite in Max Payne 3 but does well with switching it up with gang wars, crap ton of unlocks to improve your game also many bursts like slow-mo and health upgrades. Point is you need to by this game, you can see the polish and time the developers put into this game and it is a ride worth going on. Expand
  90. Nov 14, 2012
    Although, this game is in the style of Max Payne. It doesn't really have any connection to Max Payne 1 or 2. The atmosphere in Max Payne is top notch whether your firing at thugs in a club in mid air or or defending a fellow mercenary from sniper fire. The game feels extremely realistic and does have several creative missions. The problem is although they're are some creative bits. TheAlthough, this game is in the style of Max Payne. It doesn't really have any connection to Max Payne 1 or 2. The atmosphere in Max Payne is top notch whether your firing at thugs in a club in mid air or or defending a fellow mercenary from sniper fire. The game feels extremely realistic and does have several creative missions. The problem is although they're are some creative bits. The levels don't nearly match the creativity seen in Max Payne 1 where the levels weren't necessarily about the game-play but unraveling the deep narrative behind the plot with several innovative concepts strewn throughout the game. Max Payne 3 is mainly about pitted you in high pressure realistic scenarios full of noir and despair and watching you survive them realistically without out enough creative touches to keep it on par with the original. That being said this is in my opinion the most realistic shooting game ever made with an online mode just as frustrating. Expand
  91. May 18, 2012
    Ah, Max. How we've missed you. It's been nine years since Max Payne 2, and he's back better than ever doing what he does best; drinking, shooting and diving.

So, first off, lets get one thing clear; this game is NOT for the faint of heart. Max Payne 3 is, a challenging, hardcore shooter for the veterans of the genre, but is equally satisfying. Like previous games, Max can still dive, dual-wield and use his signature BulletTime, which a warm welcome back to the series for Max Payne veterans.

Max has started out fresh, in Sao Paulo working for the Branco family as a bodyguard. When the boss's prize possession, his daughter, gets kidnapped, it's Max's job to save the girl, and his pill-popping, drunk self. If Rockstar does something best, it's storytelling, and they deliver once again; Max Payne 3 is gripping from beginning to end. The story is beautifully presented, with cutscenes that pull you into the story acting as loading screens, so the story stays with you for the entirety of the game without interruption from Max's engrossing story. Cutscenes are presented with visual effects dominating the screen, to put a slick spin on an average cutscene. Words appear on screen to emphasize important parts of the conversation, and blurry effects add to the grittiness of the game.

The combat has improved, and it's as fun as ever. It's about a million ways to kill enemies, not kill a million enemies. Thanks to Euphoria, enemies fall to the ground more realistically and move around more often to make firefights feel real. The A.I. is incredibly smart, flanking you and working together with fellow thugs to kill you. Killing the last enemy in the room triggers a 'Bullet Cam', showing the bullet in flight just about to cripple your last foe. It's an immensly satisfying way to end a firefight.
    The script is superb. Max is funnier and dirtier than before, and James McCaffrey's voice acting absolutley nails it. Every character is well written and complimeted with great voice acting.

Just like the singleplayer, the multiplayer is chaotic fun. Rockstar have somehow weaved the single player story into the muliplayer, and it's really well done. Max himself narrates the match on the outcomes of every round you may've won or lost, which really ups the ante in public games. As you'd expect, you level up, pick classes, customize your character, title, and the rest. There's your standard Team Deathmatch, Deathmatch but the real standout is Gang Wars. Five rounds of random objectives, and the odds are tipped in the favor of those who win the rounds.
    BulletTime has been implemented into Multiplayer, and works well. Players are affected if they're in your line of sight, and puts a fast paced spin on a classic Deathmatch. In total, everything is well balanced and nothing feels out of place; it's an all-out massacre.

Closing Comments:
    Max Payne 3 is a brilliant story-driven, fast-paced, stylish shooter that should never be missed. Rockstar's take on a classic franchise looks and feels awesome: Single player is amazingly crafted and Multiplayer is a chaotic massacre, leaving you with so much content you'll want to come back for more drinking, shooting and diving.
  92. May 15, 2012
    WOW! amazing story, fluid mechanics and unbelievable graphics! this game has set the bar so high for its competitors its almost not fair. The way in which R* has decided to tell this new tale is incredible, the story jumps through time seamlessly, and really shows off what Hollywood cinematic 's should look like in a true "AAA" next gen game. Bravo Rockstar...Bravo!
  93. May 18, 2012
    This may be the greatest game I have ever played. The story has so many great aspects to it, and on top of that, the gameplay mechanics are so crisp and refined, you will forget it is a video game. Its multiplayer plays much like the single player, and keeps the immersing experience. Over all this game is a must for all fans of the previous games, as well as newcomers, I did not evenThis may be the greatest game I have ever played. The story has so many great aspects to it, and on top of that, the gameplay mechanics are so crisp and refined, you will forget it is a video game. Its multiplayer plays much like the single player, and keeps the immersing experience. Over all this game is a must for all fans of the previous games, as well as newcomers, I did not even hesitate to give this game a 10/10. Expand
  94. Jun 17, 2013
    So, this game was pretty damn different from the originals. In terms of effects and design the game is miles away from the comic book style of the first game. But I don't mind that. I'm glad they took a new direction with this. The visual effects are over used, but nice non-the-less.

The story is engaging and enjoyable. Combat is pretty decent and the guns are fun to use. Side quests like collecting golden parts are fun and do add to the game. I enjoyed the flashbacks and throwbacks to the originals but enjoyed the new stuff coming to the table.

Overall, Max Payne 3 is an enjoyable shooter. The single player is worth checking out, the multiplayer is fun if you enjoy third person shooting in an online environment, but offers no new experiences.
  95. May 19, 2012
    This game is amazing, you should buy it. Best TPS of all time IMO. If you are a fan of the Max Payne games then you shoud definetely pick this up. Mutliplayer is stellar too.
  96. May 15, 2012
    As you always expect with a Rockstar title, this game is excellent. They've taken the core mechanics of the Max Payne series and put their own spin on it. Bullet time was tested in Red Dead Redemption and perfected for this title.

Without going into any details or spoilers on the story, this reminds me a lot of the film 'Man on Fire' - great intense action throughout. I've yet to experience the multiplayer, but even as an offline single player title you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. Complete the game to unlock Old School and Hardcore mode and there's also an arcade mode to keep you busy.

Overall a brilliant, polished experience that Rockstar continues to deliver game after game. A must buy!
  97. May 17, 2012
    you're not goona beleive that this game can make you feel like an accion hero no matter who you are you have to play this incredible game its a whorty sucesor for the other to games of the dearest max the most dearest of all my friend jeje
  98. Jul 29, 2012
    So I rarely am disappointed with RockStar and this time was no different. This was a really amazing add-on to the Max Payne series. The game graphics were improved to a modern day shooter and kept the awesome, classic feel of the original games. With blood, violence, and drugs you expect, the game balances well with story, drama, and a connection with Max that no one wishes to have. MakingSo I rarely am disappointed with RockStar and this time was no different. This was a really amazing add-on to the Max Payne series. The game graphics were improved to a modern day shooter and kept the awesome, classic feel of the original games. With blood, violence, and drugs you expect, the game balances well with story, drama, and a connection with Max that no one wishes to have. Making you want to keep going and going until the end (which was solid). I did not play the multiplayer because, lets face it, who plays Max Payne for multiplayer? Replay value is at least twice to just make sure you find all the little detail and kill people in every way possible. A must for fans of the series. Expand
  99. Sep 2, 2012
    I'll start by saying that I have replayed this game 3 times already. Not because of the story (which is also pretty awesome) but because the gameplay is that much fun. The controls are tight and after about 20 minutes you will be flying through the air bringing death in spades. The multi player is a pleasant surprise. Believe it or not there is bullet time and it actually works. . . unlessI'll start by saying that I have replayed this game 3 times already. Not because of the story (which is also pretty awesome) but because the gameplay is that much fun. The controls are tight and after about 20 minutes you will be flying through the air bringing death in spades. The multi player is a pleasant surprise. Believe it or not there is bullet time and it actually works. . . unless you are on the receiving end. I can't recommend this game enough to everyone who is a fan or new to the series. Expand
  100. May 22, 2014
    Now Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to threeNow Max Payne 3, while a little bit different to the others in the series, still retains the same premise and gameplay of the first two, albeit in my opinion at a slower pace. This Iteration is much more realistic in how it works, with 2-4 shots being able to take you down and that you also can't carry an armoury's worth of weapons with you. Instead your allowed to carry up to three weapons simultaneously, two one handed e.g. pistols, and one, two-handed weapon, such as a shotgun. even then, if you decide to star dual wielding like some Neo wannabe, you'll have to drop your two-handed weapon on the spot. Now alot of people will say this is a stupid idea to put into a game, especially a Max Payne game, but it does make the game more challenging when you don't have every gun under the sun in your back pocket. Now bullet time, Pain-killers and shoot-dodging returns, and they pretty much work the same as in the last games. You'll be relying on them alot later on in the game as the difficulty becomes quite high even when playing on the normal difficulty setting, as you'll be faced with 20+ enemies at once, which is a lot to deal with. A new addition to the franchise is the fact you can now lay on the ground a spin the full 360 degrees to take some goons while lying down, after you've performed a shoot-dodge. You will also not immediately die if you happen to be carrying some painkillers when you run out of health. Instead you'll go straight into a slo- mo, bullet-time last stand type of deal, in which you have a couple of seconds to take out the guy that took you down. Doing so will save you, and you'll be able to get back up and carry on the fight.

Now the game looks pretty damn good aswell, the graphics are really high quality, not crysis super computer quality, but it's a very good looking game, especially on console. there are some things that your eyes wont agree with though. What I'm mainly talking about is the overused, in-your-face filters that try to make the game look like an old VHS tape. they do get on your nerves a little bit, as they only really kick-in every now and again. Now what will annoy most people is the over-abundance of cut-scenes that appear every time you finish off a gunfight. Some of them are also long-ass MGS worthy ones that you cant skip until the game has loaded, as the cut-scenes act as loading screens when playing the story. Also, when taking out the last enemy in a gunfight, you'll be treated to a slo-mo death cam of said goon, where you can keep pumping bullets into him, until he's turned into human swiss cheese, these are pretty brutal, and a greatly improved by the Euphoria physics engine that Rockstar used which creates a different reaction every time.

The story mode is the heart of the game, with the story being quite a good one. It's well written, and has a few twists and turns, although it's maybe not as good as Red Dead Redemptions story (Great game by the way, go play it!) I thought it was great. There are also a couple of other modes to the game, such as the arcade mode and New York Minute, time trial mode, and for the first time multi-player is included. The first two modes I mentioned are basically there to test your skill and reflexes, and also give you the chance to unlock multi-player characters and cheats for single-player.

Now Multiplayer in Max Payne 3 is a mixed bag. sometimes it can be really enjoyable, sometimes it can be really infuriating. Now you might think the infuriating games are just that your not playing very well, but in my opinion the game is un-balanced. When the game first came out, it was pretty balanced, there was nothing outstandingly overpowered, but due to DLC being released the game has changed dramatically, usually you see everyone running around in the very protective bomb suits, dual-wielding pistols. You'll soon find out this is probably the best combination in the game to go with, and it makes nearly every other weapon a waste of time. Now there are only a couple of modes that come with the game, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and gang wars. Gang wars is the stand out mode, where each match consists of five rounds that follow a storyline. You could be planting or defusing bombs one round, and then trying to assassinate of defend a VIP the next. It helps keep the gameplay varied. They have added a few other modes through DLC, including a co-op, horde mode style game, and another where your chased down by a goblin with a wooden leg and a taser (seriously, I'm not joking). There Is the, now-standard mult-player games weapon load-out and customisation menu, that you see in nearly every game now-a-days, but There's a weight system to keep it a bit fresh, and make you think about what you take into battle. The heavier you are, the slower your stamina and health regenerate. There's also Bursts, that act the same as kill streak rewards and character customisation aswell.

Overall it's a good game, but It's not everyone's cup of tea.
  101. Aug 27, 2012

1. Jul 8, 2012
    A compelling, down and dirty bullet basket populated by real characters and visceral gunplay. [July 2012, p.55]
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The presentation is top-notch, the game feels like you want it to never end while you're playing it, and the multiplayer gives it longevity that will stick around for a good while.
  3. Jun 20, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great action-movie experience with life-like characters that Rockstar is famous for. It does fall a bit flat on the actual action part, however. The controls on consoles are confusing and hard to get used to. Still very much worth a play-thru. It's also one of the best looking console games in the current generation. [June 2012]