Max Payne 3 Xbox 360

7.8

1. Mar 8, 2013
    Max Payne 3 marks the return of the John Mclain of the gaming world, Max Payne, as he ventures through one of the most action packed and well written stories of 2012.
    Max now lives in Sao Paulo for the rich family Branco, he is a bodyguard, a drunk and a painkiller addict. When the family is targeted by people living in the Favelas close to their home Max has to jump back into action to find the people responsible for the deaths of his employers and who threaten his life too.
    Max Payne 3's story has been told time and time again, however not as good as MP3 does it. MP3 is heavily cutscene based with all the gameplay taking place during the gunfights. Though this detracts from the experience it only makes the story better and better by giving you such a tight narrative. But when the gameplay does kick in it is one of the most enjoyable third-person shooters you will ever play. Feeling very similar to Gears of War and Spec Ops the Line with very well structured controls and great environments to fight in ranging from airports to clubs.
    Max Payne 3 is not a game you can miss if you like action games, it has something to please everyone.
  2. May 31, 2012
    Even though the anticipation for this game will never live up to the actual product, I enjoyed playing Max Payne 3. What I did not enjoy was the length of the checkpoints. Talk about a game of headaches. If anything it is my own fault because I played on Free Aim, which makes things a lot more difficult, but if you want the achievements/trophies, you better turn it on Free Aim. MultiplayerEven though the anticipation for this game will never live up to the actual product, I enjoyed playing Max Payne 3. What I did not enjoy was the length of the checkpoints. Talk about a game of headaches. If anything it is my own fault because I played on Free Aim, which makes things a lot more difficult, but if you want the achievements/trophies, you better turn it on Free Aim. Multiplayer was chaotic, not as cinematic and glorious as advertised. A fun game, worth playing, great dialogue and action which is expected from Max, but wish the game had more of a RDR multiplayer. Listen to the full audio review on the podcast; http://liquidgamer.podbean.com/ Expand
  3. Jun 9, 2012
    I never played any of the other Max Payne games so i'm new to Max Payne and what a great game Max Payne 3 is. It has a fantastic story line in the whith has many twists and turns in it. The best script I have heard in a game I have heard in a long time. Just buy it. Max Payne 3 8.9/10
  4. May 24, 2012
    Those complaining about the game being linear need to pause before they speak. This is not an open world sandbox game by any stretch of the imagination, and it was never intended to be that style of game. If you want to say "Eff the main storyline I'm going to shoot arrows into the knees of guards" stick to a sandbox game. Just because the game is by definition "linear" does not make it aThose complaining about the game being linear need to pause before they speak. This is not an open world sandbox game by any stretch of the imagination, and it was never intended to be that style of game. If you want to say "Eff the main storyline I'm going to shoot arrows into the knees of guards" stick to a sandbox game. Just because the game is by definition "linear" does not make it a bad game. (some of the best games ever have been completely linear, anyone remember that game super mario 3?) What Max Payne 3 is however, is a well written and action packed adventure epic. I did not find the cut-scenes intrusive, but rather found them to be well done and add a lot to the progressing storyline. However, this may be because I love a good story, and actually like to be drawn into the story instead of desperately needing to keep my fingers moving the entire time (critics who keep complaining about the game making them sit still too long just go back to your stupid COD multiplayer and shut up. leave the rating of games with actual plotlines to your betters ie: people with attention spans larger than a squirrel's). My only beef is that sometimes the cover system is a tiny bit clunky, but in the long run this is rendered null and void once you learn how to master the bullet dodge and slow motion techniques.

In conclusion, this game is absolutely terrific and is definitely worth a buy.
  5. May 15, 2012
    Why do I keep getting interrupted during gameplay for a cutscene. There is no way to become immersed if if every two minutes I'm stopped to watch cuts for sometimes longer than I just played. The gameplay is frustrating, the gun mechanics are not great, and the bullet time is way too short.
  6. Jul 23, 2012
    Boy, what a disappointment. I've been playing the Max Payne series, since it first came out on the PC - and this is arguably its worst iteration. While the first two titles of the series strongly depended on the style and elegance of sliding shooting through doors - now a bald, fattened version of Max Payne stumbles drunk through Brazilian favelas. I get it: It should add to the dark andBoy, what a disappointment. I've been playing the Max Payne series, since it first came out on the PC - and this is arguably its worst iteration. While the first two titles of the series strongly depended on the style and elegance of sliding shooting through doors - now a bald, fattened version of Max Payne stumbles drunk through Brazilian favelas. I get it: It should add to the dark and sad trauma he has been going through storywise - but the game lacks at every end: The controls on Xbox360 are frustrating. The shoot dodge movement is barely useful, as Max insists to bump into walls and doors whenever he's using it. He likes to get up under heavy fire or ignoring the safe side of a barricade. when dodging fire. To top it off - the writing is really, really bad. Why? Because I just don't care about Max as a character, nor about the people he's trying to save, nor that the game continuously demotivates me, by killing characters throughout the storyline I'm expected to safe.

Stay away from this game.
  7. May 15, 2012
    The 9 year wait sure was worth it. Max Payne is back in style in this dark gritty sequel. Awesome story if you care for Max. Game-play is top notch, soundtrack greatly complements whats going trough Max´s head. Multiplayer is surprisingly fun with some in depth customisation. This game is just a bucket full of fun that is sometimes cut short by cut scenes but that is just oneThe 9 year wait sure was worth it. Max Payne is back in style in this dark gritty sequel. Awesome story if you care for Max. Game-play is top notch, soundtrack greatly complements whats going trough Max´s head. Multiplayer is surprisingly fun with some in depth customisation. This game is just a bucket full of fun that is sometimes cut short by cut scenes but that is just one gripe. Would recommend to any 3rd person shooter fan. Expand
  8. May 15, 2012
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i was a little worried about the third part bcoz it wasnt remedy making the game but no disrespect to Rockstar they are awesome specially i thnk so after playing max payne 3 it is an awesome game gr8 story driven action heart pumping gameplay and brilliant multiplayer i must say i am thrilled after playing it and have to say rockstar have notMax payne has always been my favourite game but i was a little worried about the third part bcoz it wasnt remedy making the game but no disrespect to Rockstar they are awesome specially i thnk so after playing max payne 3 it is an awesome game gr8 story driven action heart pumping gameplay and brilliant multiplayer i must say i am thrilled after playing it and have to say rockstar have not let us down again and hasnt let the game die instead has made it famous Expand
  9. May 15, 2012
    It's amazing game! I'm realy happy becouse can play. Na ten tytuÅ
  10. May 15, 2012
    WOW! amazing story, fluid mechanics and unbelievable graphics! this game has set the bar so high for its competitors its almost not fair. The way in which R* has decided to tell this new tale is incredible, the story jumps through time seamlessly, and really shows off what Hollywood cinematic 's should look like in a true "AAA" next gen game. Bravo Rockstar...Bravo!
  11. May 19, 2012
    This game is just EPIC love everything about this game,it's better then 1 and 2 combined the slow motion is just awesome,everything is worked out fantastic so i give this game a full 10 and is forth every penny big plus to Rockstar they did it again!!
  12. May 15, 2012
    Absolutely every bit as good as RDR and the multiplayer is better. It's a masterpiece and how the metascore isn't as higher than RDR's is beyond me. Max's story is compelling and with the gameplay is outstanding. I'll be playing this game long into the summer.
  13. May 15, 2012
    I was originally a little worried when I heard the changes Rockstar were making to Max Payne, then more worried about the introduction of multiplayer. Then I just played through Max Payne 3 in a night and can say I absolutely loved it as a fan of the series and character. Sure some small things bother me like the absolute lack of any painkillers through levels, which really forces you toI was originally a little worried when I heard the changes Rockstar were making to Max Payne, then more worried about the introduction of multiplayer. Then I just played through Max Payne 3 in a night and can say I absolutely loved it as a fan of the series and character. Sure some small things bother me like the absolute lack of any painkillers through levels, which really forces you to stick to cover more than I would like, but that is overshadowed by a powerful return by Payne in character, story, and narrative. I loved this game and can say I was wrong to ever doubt it. Expand
  14. May 15, 2012
    This game is awesome. The campaign is spectacular. The multiplayer is marvelous. So far...best game of 2012.

The campaign definitely delivers on the sense of accomplishment because it will try you. You're gonna die a lot before realizing that the game isn't cheating, you DO have enough ammo, but you just have to play better. The way the story is presented is nothing short of a movie blockbuster. It emotionally drew me to the plight of Max Payne and it compelled me to fight for him. Well **** done, Rockstar.

Oh yeah, the multi-player. The most engrossing multiplayer I've played to date. The amount of achievements that result in XP are almost innumerable. They definitely put enough into the multiplayer for it to last for a year, easy. It's worth $60 bucks. Trust me.
  15. May 15, 2012
    The game story is impressive the graphics beautiful and brings the expected level in 2012.
    I think the gameplay and controlls are very hard even on easy with free aim combo. (if you use hard lock the game become meaningless) Variety levels are fun although linear like a corridor with minimum freedom. The game atmosphere good but not like maxpayne 1 & 2.
    Authentic characters in very long
    Authentic characters in very long and boring cutscenes......
  16. May 21, 2012
    Firstly I'll just say this is a fantastically gripping game. After reading the first bunch of reviews I was considering not buying it, I'm glad I did.

The game plays well, I played through it first time on hard with the no aim aid which made it seem all the more desperate, and that's what this games all about, one mans desperate struggle. The gunplay is solid, simple and satisfying, I personally don't see what else you need here, the plentiful guns make cool noises and you can see the impact they have on enemies. The cover mechanic is like an improved version of what you've seen before in RDR and GTA. The environments are very detailed and the bullets flying around rip it to pieces. There's one stand out level in a big office and there's literally nothing left of it after you finish slaying an army of mercenaries. Brilliant. Doing it all in slow mo just adds to how cool this game looks when your in a gunfight, you feel Max's impacts when you shoot dodge and hit a wall or fly down a set of steps, you kind think **** that looked sore". The story is brilliant, I'm not gonna give anything away but it plays like a thriller/drama (sorry, captain obvious alert), and if that's your kind of thing you'll enjoy it.

I've seen a few complaints about the style of the cut scenes, the words popping up and all that, to me that's just a natural progression from the comic book style of the previous two? I like it and it show the game is moving with the times. The way the camera sort of blurs up and scan lines appear as well is different, not bad or invasive, just different and new. I kinda think that it says something about Max and what he's going through, the guys permanently half cut and addicted to pain meds, maybe it has something to do with what he's seeing or something? Or it's just a random addition and means bugger all.

The multiplayer is a good addition, the action is a lot faster paced than the single player and there is enough customisation and unlocks to keep you playing for a while. So for me this a great fun game with a well written gritty story, greatly satisfying gunfights and slow mo kill cams, plus a long lasting multiplayer. What more do you need?
  17. May 16, 2012
    This game, once you get the controls down to where you are comfortable moving around, taking cover, etc. is definitely worth checking out. I have always been happy with Rockstar because they give you $60 worth of a game. I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and L.A. Noire. All of these titles were worth their price. Surprisingly, the campaign in this game kept me guessing. I expected toThis game, once you get the controls down to where you are comfortable moving around, taking cover, etc. is definitely worth checking out. I have always been happy with Rockstar because they give you $60 worth of a game. I enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and L.A. Noire. All of these titles were worth their price. Surprisingly, the campaign in this game kept me guessing. I expected to go in guns blazing most time, but sometimes things happened that weren't like anything I guessed. The multiplayer is also worth checking out. The ease of play within the multiplayer part of the game surprised me also. Most games have camping, elite players, etc. This game encourages everyone to play, and you are rewarded for doing so. Overall, this game is worth playing. Expand
  18. May 16, 2012
    I would compare this game to a more mature themed Uncharted 3 - BUT BETTER OVERALL. The graphics are better, the story is better, the controls are better and I'm about to play the multiplayer tonight which seems awesome. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME GAME!
  19. May 16, 2012
    Well, I am coming from the standpoint of loving the last two Max Payne games. I had high expectations for this one. Max Payne has style, sure, and it has decent graphics. It even has fantastic voice acting and amazing sound design. However, the most important part is what failed for me. The gun play is..I'll say it....atrocious. Its not sensitive enough at the start, and by the timeWell, I am coming from the standpoint of loving the last two Max Payne games. I had high expectations for this one. Max Payne has style, sure, and it has decent graphics. It even has fantastic voice acting and amazing sound design. However, the most important part is what failed for me. The gun play is..I'll say it....atrocious. Its not sensitive enough at the start, and by the time you've got the cursor going, it's swinging wildly in over aim. It's not lack of skill either, I have no problem with Halo or COD, or any other FPS for that matter. The reticle is TINY for the pistols, which are your go to weapon, similar to how the reticle was in RDR. And I hated it then. It's too small and its only on the screen when you are aiming, so in a pinch, it's easy to lose it in background art. The gunplay just isn't satisfying, it's either the wildly difficult free aim, or the haxorz auto aim, which takes all the fun out of it. I remember MP2 being way more fun and way more dynamic than this game. Anyway, that's my two cents. IMO, it's a rental at most. Expand
  20. May 16, 2012
    I have never played a Max Payne game before but this game intrigued me and boy am I glad I bought it! If anyone is doubting buying this because they've never played the series, buy it because it is loads of fun. The story is very cinematic and has a great premise. The story immerses you into the game and makes you want to keep playing. The multiplayer is fun as well but its more fun if youI have never played a Max Payne game before but this game intrigued me and boy am I glad I bought it! If anyone is doubting buying this because they've never played the series, buy it because it is loads of fun. The story is very cinematic and has a great premise. The story immerses you into the game and makes you want to keep playing. The multiplayer is fun as well but its more fun if you play with a crew. Overall its a pretty good game and I recommend it to anyone who likes third person shooters or shooters in general. Graphics are a 9/10, gameplay is a 10/10, lasting appeal is a 9/10, and story is a 10/10 Expand
  21. May 16, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is real game, a game for everyone who want to have fun, spend a lot of time in front of the tv, and the best of all, play with your friends on multiplayer. The history is very good, and expecially in a dangerous city like São Paulo. The multiplayer is very fun and the best way to play is with your friends. Bullet time is very good and Rockstar did it again, thMax Payne 3 is real game, a game for everyone who want to have fun, spend a lot of time in front of the tv, and the best of all, play with your friends on multiplayer. The history is very good, and expecially in a dangerous city like São Paulo. The multiplayer is very fun and the best way to play is with your friends. Bullet time is very good and Rockstar did it again, th best game of the year so far in my opinion. Expand
  22. May 18, 2012
    This may be the greatest game I have ever played. The story has so many great aspects to it, and on top of that, the gameplay mechanics are so crisp and refined, you will forget it is a video game. Its multiplayer plays much like the single player, and keeps the immersing experience. Over all this game is a must for all fans of the previous games, as well as newcomers, I did not evenThis may be the greatest game I have ever played. The story has so many great aspects to it, and on top of that, the gameplay mechanics are so crisp and refined, you will forget it is a video game. Its multiplayer plays much like the single player, and keeps the immersing experience. Over all this game is a must for all fans of the previous games, as well as newcomers, I did not even hesitate to give this game a 10/10. Expand
  23. May 17, 2012
    you're not goona beleive that this game can make you feel like an accion hero no matter who you are you have to play this incredible game its a whorty sucesor for the other to games of the dearest max the most dearest of all my friend jeje
  24. May 17, 2012
    I haven't played this game but I bet it's awesome. I mean it's Maximum Payne, pop painkillers while flying through the air in slow motion, **** YEAH! So you play as this guy named Max, and his last name is Payne, and right there you should know what kind of game you're getting yourself in for. Max's wife died, probably because he **** with the wrong guys, and that's made him numb to theI haven't played this game but I bet it's awesome. I mean it's Maximum Payne, pop painkillers while flying through the air in slow motion, **** YEAH! So you play as this guy named Max, and his last name is Payne, and right there you should know what kind of game you're getting yourself in for. Max's wife died, probably because he **** with the wrong guys, and that's made him numb to the world. He tries to fight off all these bad times in three ways:

1. Drink a lot of dark alcohol.
    2. Pop painkillers. Lots of painkillers.
    3. Shoot dudes in the face.

Literally that's the whole game (from what I've seen, I haven't played it, I don't play any games I just read the most favorable reviews so I can a REAL idea of what's awesome about a game.) When you clear a room full of bad guys you are actually so messed up from all the liquor, drugs, and bloodlust that you can in slow-motion explode a guy's head until it looks like a crushed tangerine. I watched a bunch of gameplay videos of this a month ago and I swear to christ it gave me a horribly debilitating 20-day erection. I had to seek medical help, but Rockstar was so cool that they've agreed to give me a free copy of Max Payne 3 to compensate for the distress they put me through. But like I said, I won't play it. I only read reviews, the truest way to enjoy games. 10/10
  25. May 17, 2012
    I have been waiting for this game for a long time now, all i can say now is Freaking awesome!!!! At first the gameplay takes a bit of getting used to, the way the characters move as you can feel the weight of the character and there weapons. Its pretty awesome.

Max Payne 3 also makes me wonder if this (Besides bullet time of course) is an early feel to what GTA 5 will play like..hmmm something to consider. As you can carry over your multiplayer Gang/crew over to GTA 5, which is also a cool feature and obviously will keep the multiplayer alive that time. The multiplayer also has quite a few weapons and attachments and gadgets to unlock as you progress to you rank 50. And a few cool features, like when you die you get to see how many times and where you were shot. The other cool feature i like is the Vendetta action, where if the same person keeps killing you can put a bounty type thingy on there head, but dont let them kill you again.

The single player is just epic if you are a max payne fan, if your not then its still epic. Yes the FMVs are a bit annoying at first but you do get used to it and sucked into the world of max payne 3. And for the 12hrs of single player thats longer than any shooter i have played this year. Theres also plenty of reason to keep playing the single player once finished, like the time challenge in arcade mode.

All i can say is Buy or at least rent max payne 3, its Outstanding!!!!!
  26. May 17, 2012
    The overall gameplay is great with good shooting and bullet time. The normal difficultly brings up a satisfying challenge and some of the parts are hard to get by. The damage system is just right, where aiming at the head does provide a huge difference in damage. There is also a lot of extra content, like New York Minute. I would give this game a 10 but aiming on the left side I haveThe overall gameplay is great with good shooting and bullet time. The normal difficultly brings up a satisfying challenge and some of the parts are hard to get by. The damage system is just right, where aiming at the head does provide a huge difference in damage. There is also a lot of extra content, like New York Minute. I would give this game a 10 but aiming on the left side I have had some experience with shooting through walls. Expand
  27. May 17, 2012
    Really love Max Payne 3 a lot. I am on chapter 3 of the single player and it has me so engaged. I can't recall the last time I was into a single player of game this much (Maybe Bulletstorm). The multiplayer is really fun as well. I think this is for sure a must own game. Even if your not super big on shooters you will enjoy it due to it's great story, cut scenes, graphics and voice acting.
  28. May 17, 2012
    7 Planned DLC's already for this game. When did it become okay to hold back content in hopes that you could get more from the consumer later? Sure it isn't exactly new to the industry, Diablo 2 wasn't even finished in the original packaging, you had to get the expansion to finish it out. But now they hold your game hostage in the hopes you will continue to play the game well after you are7 Planned DLC's already for this game. When did it become okay to hold back content in hopes that you could get more from the consumer later? Sure it isn't exactly new to the industry, Diablo 2 wasn't even finished in the original packaging, you had to get the expansion to finish it out. But now they hold your game hostage in the hopes you will continue to play the game well after you are done with it because of all the extra story-bits they left behind.

Urg, this industry is sad.
  29. May 21, 2012
    This isnt the Max Payne I remember. Something is just off and what I remember from the computer game ten years back was not improved upon. The dark, bizarre, cold feeling that I was left with is simply not here this go around.
  30. May 18, 2012
    This is an absolutely great game! The Story is really exciting and has some good twists and the voice acting is amazing. Combined with the stunning looking gameplay this is just the best Action Shooter I have seen in a long time. I think Rockstar did a good job at developing the character of Max Payne further, without losing his usual mannerisms and style. Multiplayer is also extremelyThis is an absolutely great game! The Story is really exciting and has some good twists and the voice acting is amazing. Combined with the stunning looking gameplay this is just the best Action Shooter I have seen in a long time. I think Rockstar did a good job at developing the character of Max Payne further, without losing his usual mannerisms and style. Multiplayer is also extremely enjoyable and offers a lot of variety with all the unlockables and different game modes. Expand
  31. May 18, 2012
    My review is primarily based on the multiplayer. I played the first couple chapters of the singleplayer game, but found it to be pretty boring. The multiplayer is pretty awful. The controls are very unresponsive. On occasion, when trying to roll, my character fails to roll at all. Taking cover takes too long as well -- not that taking cover is really useful. There seems to be no rhyme orMy review is primarily based on the multiplayer. I played the first couple chapters of the singleplayer game, but found it to be pretty boring. The multiplayer is pretty awful. The controls are very unresponsive. On occasion, when trying to roll, my character fails to roll at all. Taking cover takes too long as well -- not that taking cover is really useful. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind what can kill you in multiplayer. For instance, when looking at where I had been shot after being killed, I discovered I had been killed by a single bullet to the forearm. ONE bullet in the FOREARM. The inaccuracy of a lot of the rifles is ridiculous. People can run around duel wielding submachineguns and hit me from long range, while my LMG with a good accuracy rating takes 40-50 bullets to kill something. The spawns are often terrible and some of the maps are pretty awful. I rented this game and feel like I wasted my money. Expand
  32. May 19, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a game like no other. The gameplay itself is pretty simple: shooting people in slow motion isn't new but so fun. Everything works fine; from the cover system to the sootdodge, it is always enjoyable. Where Max Payne 3 really shines though, is in it's way to tell the story. There is a lot of cutscenes but they are all interesting to watch. The transition between cutscenes andMax Payne 3 is a game like no other. The gameplay itself is pretty simple: shooting people in slow motion isn't new but so fun. Everything works fine; from the cover system to the sootdodge, it is always enjoyable. Where Max Payne 3 really shines though, is in it's way to tell the story. There is a lot of cutscenes but they are all interesting to watch. The transition between cutscenes and gameplay is incredibly well done. You can play for hours without seeing a loading screen. The campaign in lengthy and the higher levels of difficulties are hard enough to bring a challenge. The multiplayer is a real suprise. First I thought it would be lame but I was so wrong. Diving in slowmotion from a building while shooting at the people under you is priceless. Expand
  33. May 19, 2012
    Rockstar mimics successful formula of the original series but eventually fails to capture the charm of the original. Gameplay suffers from shoddy controls and boring levels that offer few tactical choices during shoot-outs. Checkpoints repeatedly put you against a swarm of enemies with barely one cover around . The result is a static encounter or frequent death, the latter resulting inRockstar mimics successful formula of the original series but eventually fails to capture the charm of the original. Gameplay suffers from shoddy controls and boring levels that offer few tactical choices during shoot-outs. Checkpoints repeatedly put you against a swarm of enemies with barely one cover around . The result is a static encounter or frequent death, the latter resulting in tedious backtracking. If there are cutscenes tied to the checkpoint, you will see them again and again without chance to skip. Gone is the noir atmosphere and well-penned Marlowesque monologues. New Max is a boring character chasing McGuffins that are difficult to care about. Cutscenes try to evoke the comics-inspired look of the original. The ambitious effort falls short due to poor editing that creates comics panes with random placement at random angles, full of busy effects and senseless dialogue excerpts. An interesting idea ends up feeling pretentious and artificial. Despite the sub-par lighting of its in-house Rage engine Rockstar did a good job in making the game visually appealing. The art-direction is tight, cutscenes impress with high-quality mo-cap and Euphoria animation engine makes enemy reaction to your bullets nothing short of spectacular. Sadly, the work of programmers, artists and animators has been sabotaged by design and narrative teams. The result is a mediocre shooter that did not manage to replicate the original recipe. If you are not familiar with game's predecessors, give it a chance after price drop. Fans of Max Payne and Rockstar's previous work may find themselves thinking that despite the stellar reviews of his clothes this emperor is walking around bare naked. Collapse Expand
  34. May 19, 2012
    Literally just put down the control from finishing the story mode. I have always been a max payne fan, so i should get that out of the way to start. On the other hand, this is the first time i have been compelled to write a review. This game was SO MUCH FUN. I got it in hand yesterday, played until I was too tired, woke up and finished it. It hasn't been since God of War have there been soLiterally just put down the control from finishing the story mode. I have always been a max payne fan, so i should get that out of the way to start. On the other hand, this is the first time i have been compelled to write a review. This game was SO MUCH FUN. I got it in hand yesterday, played until I was too tired, woke up and finished it. It hasn't been since God of War have there been so many times where i do something in the game and go "WOAH THAT WAS SO COOL" afterwards. Lots of fun quicktime events. Visuals are great, very "man on fire" feel to it. Story was great also, a lot of twists and unexpected things in the story. Also, a very cool thing is how he carries the weapons and reloads. I know this may seem silly, but it's nice to actually see a game that realizes that you can't just stuff an AR15 into your butt when you aren't using it. If you have three weapons, you actually visualize him carrying each of them. If you have a rifle, a micro smg, and a pistol, you shoot one handed and actually carry the rifle in the other, with the micro smg in a armpit holster. Max will tuck the rifle into his armpit while he reloads. You also can develop a pile of empty clips at your feet if you stay in one spot. This kind of attention to detail often goes missed. Also, you don't notice ANY LOADING. I spend half my time loading in skyrim, and this is just action, cutscene, action. Very well done. I only have ONE complaint. After each cutscene, it defaults to your pistol, which can be annoying if you don't wanna use your pistol, but you get used to it. I could go on and on, but at the end of the day I can safely say that this is one of the best games i have played in a long time, and i play a lot of games. Expand
  35. May 19, 2012
    Clunky, awkward controls. Overlong, graphically dubious cutscenes.
    Migraine and fit inducing effects.
    I will never trust another critic score/review again.
    This game is complete bollocks.
  36. Jun 3, 2012
    Im an older gamer thats been playing for over 20 years and Im telling you if you like shooters with a cool story this game is worth your time and money. But pay attention to the reviews first because this still might not be for you. The game has many cut scenes, even in arcade mode, and will constantly interupt your playing,so if you cant handle it please dont buy it and give it a badIm an older gamer thats been playing for over 20 years and Im telling you if you like shooters with a cool story this game is worth your time and money. But pay attention to the reviews first because this still might not be for you. The game has many cut scenes, even in arcade mode, and will constantly interupt your playing,so if you cant handle it please dont buy it and give it a bad review. The story reminds me of Man On Fire and I couldnt quit till I got to the end. Gameplay takes time to get used to as its harder to aim than other shooters, but if you stick with it youll get better. Graphics are some of the best ive seen. The reason I love it is because it feels fresh and different. Isnt that what were always wanting from developers anyway? Well here it is. Expand
  37. May 20, 2012
    Max Payne is a title most have not heard in conversation for a long time. Max Payne 2 was released in 2003 and a sequel has been long sought after ever since.

Max Payne 3 is the first in the franchise to not include the original developer Remedy Entertainment and instead, is fully developed in-house at Rockstar Games. Usually this type of shift is an unfortunate end for most series but Rockstar has a long history of making solid titles.

Max Payne 3 takes place eight years after the second game and trades the dreary New York City locations for the upbeat tempo of Sao Paulo, Brazil. No longer an NYPD detective, Max is hired by Rodrigo Branco, a wealthy man with a lot of enemies. Read: a lot, it getâ
  38. May 20, 2012
    My first impression of Max Payne 3 was that it was just another modern shooter, albeit one with more style than pretty much every other game out there. The storyline seemed to be typical action fare, more "Man on Fire" than "Blade Runner". This was sufficient, but didn't seem particularly interesting. I couldn't help but wonder what the fuss was all about, couldn't help but ask why thisMy first impression of Max Payne 3 was that it was just another modern shooter, albeit one with more style than pretty much every other game out there. The storyline seemed to be typical action fare, more "Man on Fire" than "Blade Runner". This was sufficient, but didn't seem particularly interesting. I couldn't help but wonder what the fuss was all about, couldn't help but ask why this game was such a big deal. But then it all came together, first when I noticed that sprinting didn't actually increase Max's running speed. What the heck, I thought to myself, this is supposed to be a third person shooter. The mechanics are supposed to give me options, not push me to rely on the two original mechanics. Then I realized the point of the entire experience: Max Payne 3 doesn't want to be just another modern shooter. In fact, it openly mocks the "innovative" storytelling mechanics of its brothers and sisters by giving Max a subtle awareness of the fact that every action he takes is illogical and stupid (one scene in particular seems to make fun of the Uncharted series by having a very unintelligent side character offer to climb a ladder to lower it for Max). He is a videogame character in the process of realizing that his role in life is to shoot the "bad guys." Slowly but surely the detective pulls the pieces of his life together and embraces his action hero status, and the last moments of gameplay excellently showcase this revelation with explosive success. I have played very few games that have been able to marry the absurd rules of videogame worlds to a script that is truly adult, but the writers of Max Payne 3 have managed to craft a masterful script that never forgets what it is. This is not the cliche action game that it seems to be at first; this is a character study of the most popular archetype in videogaming, the action hero, and an excellent one at that. Expand
  39. May 21, 2012
    There's no way you can please everyone, but this game certainly does try. It's fast paced and hard to put down. There are a lot of cutscenes but that's part of the gig. This is a rich, detailed, action shooter. Max is at his best when his life is at it's worst. The gameplay is tight, controlled chaos. You get rewarded for taking crazy risks, like shootdodging down a flight of stairs- butThere's no way you can please everyone, but this game certainly does try. It's fast paced and hard to put down. There are a lot of cutscenes but that's part of the gig. This is a rich, detailed, action shooter. Max is at his best when his life is at it's worst. The gameplay is tight, controlled chaos. You get rewarded for taking crazy risks, like shootdodging down a flight of stairs- but with bullettime you can easily take out the 5 or 6 bad guys at the bottom. The story itself is awesome, but this is Max Payne 3- not Max Payne or Max Payne 2. It's a new game with the same old Max. Sam Lake didn't write it- but Max is still Max. He's angry, he's drunk, and he's a hell of a lot of fun to play. The cutscenes are plentiful, but they do a great job of setting the scene and moving the story along in a coherent way. There are no load screens after the initial one. there are some visual effects that can be distracting to some, i suppose. But I barely noticed them as I was too busy watching the story unfold. loved the single player and I started to play it again immediately after the credits rolled.
    Multiplayer is a whole other animal. I haven't played much Rockstar multiplayer aside from Red Dead. The multiplayer for Max spins out from the original story and takes place in a real setting. It's not just mindless team vs team deathmatch- while that can be awesome- but this is a different take on it that just fits with max's world. I look forward to playing more, but so far Gang Wars is awesome! Haters gonna hate, but Max is back and better than ever.
  40. May 21, 2012
    Absolutely stellar experience, one of the best Rockstar titles to date and incredibly enjoyable. For those expecting a straight up shoot 'em up, it's a lot more than that, and has an intriguing plot with plenty of twists that really keep you guessing. Some people find the cutscenes annoying or aggrevating but I think their frequency is exaggerated, and I felt that they nicely broke up theAbsolutely stellar experience, one of the best Rockstar titles to date and incredibly enjoyable. For those expecting a straight up shoot 'em up, it's a lot more than that, and has an intriguing plot with plenty of twists that really keep you guessing. Some people find the cutscenes annoying or aggrevating but I think their frequency is exaggerated, and I felt that they nicely broke up the gameplay.

I initially bought it for the gameplay but quickly found myself hooked on the story and unable to put it down until I'd finished it. The difficulty settings are well balanced, my only real qualm was that free aim was a little tough to get used to, but once you get used to it it is a good system. I personally feel though that the game is meant to be played with soft lock on as targeting distant enemies with free aim is often difficult and clunky.

The voice acting and story telling is excellent, and lives up to the standard you'd expect from a Rockstar game. Multiplayer is an excellent distraction, and the avatar customisation and crew system works really well. The multiplayer modes are fun to play and are best played with friends, particularly the story based gang wars which are incredibly enjoyable when crew rivalries erupt. The burst system lends itself very well to the gameplay, and perks such as sneaky and paranoia are particularly fun. The weight system is also very clever, and working out your ideal loadout and carefully balancing your weight is very fun.

To conclude, the gunplay is awesome, and multiplayer should keep you going long after you finish the story, if third person teamplay is your thing. Don't expect a third person call of duty, I'd liken it to a fleshed out RDR multiplayer with its own twist. While the controls can be a little clunky and the fighting a little samey, the story keeps you hooked and has you guessing until the end.
  41. May 21, 2012
    I wanted to give this game a higher score. The story is good. The voice acting is exceptional. The sound design is excellent. Honestly, it's all pretty darn good except for one thing: The actual GAMEPLAY. More specifically, the shooting mechanics. Rockstar knows how to make an open-world game like no other developer, but the linearity of MP3 puts an emphasis on the gunplay which isI wanted to give this game a higher score. The story is good. The voice acting is exceptional. The sound design is excellent. Honestly, it's all pretty darn good except for one thing: The actual GAMEPLAY. More specifically, the shooting mechanics. Rockstar knows how to make an open-world game like no other developer, but the linearity of MP3 puts an emphasis on the gunplay which is the one thing Rockstar doesn't do exceptionally well. Don't get me wrong, I love linear games as well as open-world games, but my linear shooters need great shooting mechanics and this game just deliver in that department : / Expand
  42. May 22, 2012
    i have no words for this game.Excelent story telling, gorgeous graphics and amazing gameplay simply the best product of the decade.thank you rockstar for giving me this game
  43. May 22, 2012
    I want to say that I specially created an account here just to post this review. Being a Max Payne fan all my life, I had some very big expectations from this sequel...till I found it's not gonna be made by Remedy as it was before.
    Ok, Rockstar dudes made some incredible games which I have played about all, so I had some mixed feelings but I was a little confident that they will not screw things up. Well they did.
    Finishing this game was torturous, really. I will now tell you shorty the story:
    Cinematics - Gun Fight - Cinematics - Gun Fight - Cinematics - Gun Fight and the show goes on. There is nothing interesting about this game, not even the graphics and their famous in-house engine. I didn't ask that, I just wanted an incredible story like the first games had. As I said, the story is horrible. All you are gonna do is killing some guys in São Paulo and a few hundreds in New York only to find that you are leaving that cold winter place that everybody acclaimed in the previous games. Trying not to make any spoilers I will just say that the story isn't what you would expect (if you're a Max Payne fan) and that bitter taste of the 1 and 2 drama stories just isn't there.
    Even though I would have to say much more about the crappy story I will go to the next part that I hated, the cinematics. Ok, it's 2012, don't do them noir style like we've all loved before but at least don't combine this two genres. Why the hell do we need to have words coming up on the screen? I'm not from an English speeking country and I never fell the need of something like that in any game. In Splinter Cell Conviction it was pretty cool but only there...
    Another thing that I hated was the fact that they changed everything. They changed Max's appearance (both physically and clothing style), they changed the interesting Mona Sax( that I hoped it would return as in Max Payne 2 playing the hardest difficulty she wouldn't die) with some guy that talks only with "bro" and doesn't seem interesting AND they even changed the painkillers. Why would they do that?
    The AI is pretty dumb and there are a lot of bugs while in some moments there are only two options:

A) Hide behind a single spot while 10 guys jump you.
    B) Go like a freaking mad man murdering them Rambo-style.

Testing them both I realised that the B) option is the one that the developers wanted us to do, being the most effective.

I won't waste much time as I've seen that most negative reviews are rated not helpful even though they're mostly right. I don't know what did Rockstar say to those "critics" but they are not saying the truth and they are acting like this is the first game they played.
    In the end I just want to say that any hardcore fans like me, even though they've seen this review, they will play the game just to know how Rockstar killed Max. Shame on you Rockstar, shame on you.
  44. May 23, 2012
    Ignore the rants of "bad shooting mechanics" . If you're not akin to or experienced in 3rd person shooters then more than likely it's not for you but if you've played and enjoyed the Uncharted frachise then you'll enjoy the gunplay and narratives of MP3. The graphics are stellar but Rockstar has just been on one this gen. Hollow-point slugs leave exit wounds and tear the flesh and the goreIgnore the rants of "bad shooting mechanics" . If you're not akin to or experienced in 3rd person shooters then more than likely it's not for you but if you've played and enjoyed the Uncharted frachise then you'll enjoy the gunplay and narratives of MP3. The graphics are stellar but Rockstar has just been on one this gen. Hollow-point slugs leave exit wounds and tear the flesh and the gore is awesome. Throughout the story you are constantly interrupted by cutscenes (which can get annoying) but these are needed to drive the plot in MP3 since all of the gameplay is strictly shoot 'em up. The AI is incredible. I've already noticed a few minor glitches but other than that enemies rarely die the same way twice. If you remain in cover while enemies have you pinned w/ cover fire, other soldiers will rush you and flush you out and if you don't progress while enemies are taking cover they'll wait you out and let you make the 1st move. This game is relentlessly difficult even for an avid gamer like me. Constant vigilance is required both in story and multi as enemies can be ridiculously accurate if they get the drop on you. Multiplayer is perfect for anyone who is just into the gameplay. Most mechanics and abilities of Max are translated well into the multiplayer world. Screwing enemy players over w/ a bullettime back-attack never gets old. It's so funny watching them try to turn around in time to shoot back. Altogether Max Payne 3 is a "rental-first" kind of game as it's not for everybody but if you haven't given it a chance, go rent the 1st disc at redbox or something because it's worth a try (*note: If you do happen to rent from redbox, the 1st disc is the only one available. Buddy of mine found out the hard way) Expand
  45. May 22, 2012
    Sure Max got a new look, he´s older now but not rusty enough to stop shooting bad guys with style, again. The only bad point for me is that using cover is much better than jumping around and use bullet time, this and the long cut scenes are a big difference to the first 2 games, that only had comic-strips between the chapters. The story and the characters are very cool, theSure Max got a new look, he´s older now but not rusty enough to stop shooting bad guys with style, again. The only bad point for me is that using cover is much better than jumping around and use bullet time, this and the long cut scenes are a big difference to the first 2 games, that only had comic-strips between the chapters. The story and the characters are very cool, the graphics could be better but I love them because they´re really beautiful and when you play Max Payne 3 you feel like your in an John Woo-movie. The game-play is fast-paced and the controls feel very smooth. The sound is just perfect and the voice acting is great too. When I bought the game I did´nt thought about it`s multiplayer-part at all, but after 2 playthroughs I tried it out and now I´m addicted to it`s great multiplayer-mode. You can unlock and then buy lots of weapons and you can then unlock mods for them. In addition there are so called "bursts" (for example bullet time) and equipment-slots, helmets and body-armors. You can also play with to one handed weapons, for example an Mac 10 in your left and an desert eagle in your right, just imagine that. haha... Max Payne 3 is just fantastic and surely a must-have! Expand
  46. May 22, 2012
    How anyone could have a negative comment about this game beats the hell outta. NO... this is not the same Max Payne games of old. Why would it be!? The last Max Payne to come out was 10yrs ago! Some of the cut scenes are long however they keep you engaged.. This game is GOTY (Game Of The Year) material hands down. The single player campaign will suck u in and the multiplayer is fastHow anyone could have a negative comment about this game beats the hell outta. NO... this is not the same Max Payne games of old. Why would it be!? The last Max Payne to come out was 10yrs ago! Some of the cut scenes are long however they keep you engaged.. This game is GOTY (Game Of The Year) material hands down. The single player campaign will suck u in and the multiplayer is fast action.. fun fast action. The different multiplayer game modes keep the action lively. This is a MUST OWN game. Very much worth paying full price for. If you have a open mind, love playing games that feel like yourre watching yourself play a role in a movie, love a fun fast action shooting multiplayer, and love playing games that give you challenge, then you need to check this out. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  47. May 23, 2012
    I was bit nervous going into Max Payne 3. Linear experiences and good gunplay mechanics usually end up being brushed aside or falling short in most of most of Rockstar's games. But, as I should have realized, Rockstar has a thing for quality and Max Payne 3 is no exception. The linear gameplay allowed Rockstar Vancouver to focus its detail in a narrower setting and it looks beautiful.I was bit nervous going into Max Payne 3. Linear experiences and good gunplay mechanics usually end up being brushed aside or falling short in most of most of Rockstar's games. But, as I should have realized, Rockstar has a thing for quality and Max Payne 3 is no exception. The linear gameplay allowed Rockstar Vancouver to focus its detail in a narrower setting and it looks beautiful. Technically, it's the best game I have ever seen on a console. Major props should given to the sheer level of detail that was put into this game. All the animations are beautiful, and watching cover being torn apart before your eyes is breath taking. Seeing Max evolve as a character both physically and internally also pays out in a big in big way. As you progress Max will Slowly become more, and more of a wreck. His beard will start to grow, his hair will become messier, and he will get scarred up. Watching him evolve is one of the best parts of the game. With that said, the story is somewhat of a mess. It isn't necessarily bad, it's just confusing. I recommend playing through this game twice if you really want a good grasp of the story. The gameplay is very simple, but very satisfying. Watching bullet time play out in slow motion is both visceral and astounding. Once again, the detail in bullet time is fantastic.
    However this game is not for the faint of heart. The combat can be incredibly difficult and frustrating at times. A retry screen with the words 'DEAD' will plater your screen hundreds of times, especially if you choose to play on a harder difficulty. The cutscenes are also long and there is a lot of them. Didn't bother me, but if you are one of those players who doesn't care much for story in a videogame I would definitely pass on this one. Overall Max Payne 3 is a beautiful and rewarding game that I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of Rockstar games and is looking for a challenge.
  48. May 24, 2012
    Beautiful visuals, intense gameplay, good use of Max's old fashioned Bullet-Time, and an awesome multiplayer. Yes the story is linear, DUH. It's not an open world game or RPG, not all games are giving into the genre, and Max Payne is sticking to it's drama cutscene filled, intense firefights and twists in the plot to make it the great game it is. The multiplayer is ambitious and somethingBeautiful visuals, intense gameplay, good use of Max's old fashioned Bullet-Time, and an awesome multiplayer. Yes the story is linear, DUH. It's not an open world game or RPG, not all games are giving into the genre, and Max Payne is sticking to it's drama cutscene filled, intense firefights and twists in the plot to make it the great game it is. The multiplayer is ambitious and something new out of not just the 3rd person shooters but shooter multiplayers altogether. Using bullet time and other perks like Paranoia are awesome ways to lose track of time while dual wielding Uzis and wiping out an opposing gang. Expand
  49. May 24, 2012
    Being a fan of both the Max Payne franchise and Rock Star Games I was excited to see these two come together. However, after playing the game I am very disappointed with the final product. Game play is extremely linear and interrupted by cut scene after cut scene. The game play does not have the Max Payne feel to it, and some how Bullet Time has become boring. I made the decision toBeing a fan of both the Max Payne franchise and Rock Star Games I was excited to see these two come together. However, after playing the game I am very disappointed with the final product. Game play is extremely linear and interrupted by cut scene after cut scene. The game play does not have the Max Payne feel to it, and some how Bullet Time has become boring. I made the decision to purchase this game based on all the reviews I read on this site and now regret it. This is my first review and also the first Max Payne/Rock Star title that i will not play through to the finish. Its just too boring. I give it a 4 for the voice acting and the graphics. Expand
  50. Jun 3, 2012
    outstanding game... had the feel of original max payne with the story and the dialog. this game engine is the same as red dead redemption makes me want to play GTA 5 even badder now! rockstar knocks it out the park yet again!!!
  51. May 24, 2012
    Having never been a huge fan of the MP franchise, I bought this one as more of a time filler than anything else. This, so far, is one of the best titles of the year. Graphically the game is very good, with the searing heat of Sao Paulo brilliantly conveyed. The presentation is what we've come to expect from Rockstar, but this time they've really outdone themselves, the game has a veryHaving never been a huge fan of the MP franchise, I bought this one as more of a time filler than anything else. This, so far, is one of the best titles of the year. Graphically the game is very good, with the searing heat of Sao Paulo brilliantly conveyed. The presentation is what we've come to expect from Rockstar, but this time they've really outdone themselves, the game has a very gritty grind house feel which I personally think suits the dark nature of the story and is a great refreshing change. Maybe a word of warning though, this game is very, very violent - the effects are graphic but done so much better than anything I have seen before. Sound design is spot on and the gameplay is great fun, cover mechanics and bullet time make this game a hoot. There is a lot of fun to be had out with the single player with some great variations on the campaign. Special mention to multiplayer though, it is brilliant, loads of game modes and really good pacing make this a very very enjoyable title! Expand
  52. May 25, 2012
    Great game. Pure fun. The acting is good, the graphics are good, and the sound is great. Haven't played much multiplayer because i don't like interacting with the little foul mouth 10 year old that populate the land of Xbox live but the little bit I did play was pretty fun. The only downside is the long unskippable cutscenes. There great the fist time around but on your second or thirdGreat game. Pure fun. The acting is good, the graphics are good, and the sound is great. Haven't played much multiplayer because i don't like interacting with the little foul mouth 10 year old that populate the land of Xbox live but the little bit I did play was pretty fun. The only downside is the long unskippable cutscenes. There great the fist time around but on your second or third play through it gets very annoying. Still a way better game then I expected. Expand
  53. May 26, 2012
    Disappointing on 360 poor controls poor story line and cut scenes destroy game-play throw away multi player Rockstar need to rebuild there programming and gameplay huge let down not worth a rent really 3rd person COD clone gone wrong.
  54. May 28, 2012
    What a disappointment, I was really looking forward to this game but it wasn't as good as I expected. Don't get me wrong is not a bad game, but its just as good as "reviewers" make it to be. First of all its incredibly frustrating, the check points doesn't make sense, they are either to far apart or even too close to each other. Worst of all at one point I finished a chapter and began theWhat a disappointment, I was really looking forward to this game but it wasn't as good as I expected. Don't get me wrong is not a bad game, but its just as good as "reviewers" make it to be. First of all its incredibly frustrating, the check points doesn't make sense, they are either to far apart or even too close to each other. Worst of all at one point I finished a chapter and began the other one, so I turn off the game and when I turn it on again I didn't started in the chapter that I started, It started in the last checkpoint of the last chapter, because as turns out the unskipable and long cut scenes don't count as a checkpoint so you have to wait till the scene is over and you start playing till you the new chapter officially began, even tough that at the beginning of the cut scene its says that you started a new Chapter. Secondly somethings just doesn't make sense in the game, like for a example at 1 time Max put a "home made" silencer in a gun, but that was just pointless because no matter what you do you are gonna face 2 guys and even if you use bullet time and kill them both with the silencer the other guys will magically hear it and go after you. Other thing that don"t make sense it's that when you are with your partner he tells you that he is gonna "cover you" but he only do for a couple of shots then he does nothing, even tough that he is gonna act like he still is covering you. Last but not least is the AI, Im all for smart AI but the AI is so smart to the point of being ridiculous, they never miss and they use cover way better than you, plus sometimes there are almost a dozen of them at the same time and when you are trying to kill the ones in front of you some of them will sneak beside you and shot you. I cant believe that this game got so many positive reviews and just a few "mixed ones" but on my opinion this game its only just average and a rental only. Expand
  55. May 29, 2012
    Max Payne returns in the 3rd instalment in the series. The history of the character, and the effects of alcohol and addiction to painkillers, are detailed through a series of cinematic cutscenes. Rockstar has succesfully re-introduced ever pessimistic Payne, and also added this nior-esc quality to the gameplay. Possibly the most impressive aspect is the combat. Max combines slow motionMax Payne returns in the 3rd instalment in the series. The history of the character, and the effects of alcohol and addiction to painkillers, are detailed through a series of cinematic cutscenes. Rockstar has succesfully re-introduced ever pessimistic Payne, and also added this nior-esc quality to the gameplay. Possibly the most impressive aspect is the combat. Max combines slow motion "bullet time", dramatic slow motion leaps and a 360 degrees prone system, that allows for continual enjoyment. Bullet cams are simply an addition, though gratuitous, to provide a more graphic perspective on kill shots. The eclectic selection of weapons, and the inclusion of collectable gold guns adds a layer of achievement to the games many missions. The cutscene to gameplay transition is superb, each location is perfectly rendered, the voice acting is infallible and the story is neither cliched nor mundane. The story is were this game really shines, with strong character development and perfect motion capture. This game performs on every level. Expand
  56. Jun 15, 2012
    Underwhelming. Great score, voice acting, nice graphics and fantastic animations but on the other hand... annoying ai, bad level design, mediocre multiplayer, unremarkable story and gameplay sometimes becomes just frustrating and not very fun.
  57. Jun 3, 2012
    It's Rockstar game but it's far from GTA or RDR. Some complain about the cinematics frequency but for me this game is like good, adult action movie and I definitely like such story driven gameplay. I am a fan of first Max Payne but this game couldn't (and shouldn't) resemble that classic. Instead we've got modern gameplay mechanics combined with great story of redemption and revenge. MaxIt's Rockstar game but it's far from GTA or RDR. Some complain about the cinematics frequency but for me this game is like good, adult action movie and I definitely like such story driven gameplay. I am a fan of first Max Payne but this game couldn't (and shouldn't) resemble that classic. Instead we've got modern gameplay mechanics combined with great story of redemption and revenge. Max may be older but he's still badass. Expand
  58. Jun 2, 2012
    Although the visuals are certainly impressive, and the game earns points for me for its focus on story, it has one horrible, glaring flaw: it is un-necessarily HARD.

This may be an appealing characteristic for some; if you like that aspect of the game, then please, by all means ignore this review. However, if you are like me, and believe that the primary characteristic of any video Game should be that it is Fun, then do not waste your time with this game.

I am not a bad gamer. I would fancy to say that I am pretty good. Yet somehow, even playing this on the Easiest difficulty, with basically automatic aiming, I found myself dying at least six times on each sequence. This is not fun.

Having had an absolute blast with GTA4, Red Dead Redemption, and L.A. Noire, I am severely disappointed in Rockstar's latest offering.
  59. Jun 2, 2012
    I thought the game looked pretty and played pretty great in the single player campaign, but I wasn't all that impressed by the multiplayer. It may just be a personal preference for me though as I am not really a fan of third person multiplayer (I didn't really take away points for this because, as I said, it's more of a personal preference and not something bad about the game).

I

I thoroughly enjoyed the single player player campaign. The cutscene load screens progressing the story I found to be nice at first, but after a few chapters I didn't really seems to care all that much anymore. The story wasn't really anything new. The issue came when you can't skip them. I know they are load screens, but if you are in your second or third play through, or even just skipping around missions looking to get achievements I found being forced to watch them for a period of time to be very annoying. The bullet time was rather fun and although the game can be very graphic at times, the game is rated M for a reason. I thought it added to the atmosphere of the game rather than hurting it.
  60. Jun 14, 2012
    Max payne 3 it's a really great game, which keeps the same experience of the two previous games to the new generation without losing anything in the process, and only this is an achievement. It is multi-dimensional in many ways, including not only the main character, but other people, the environment and atmosphere. Rockstar understood that the noir clime doesn't resume in snow and blackMax payne 3 it's a really great game, which keeps the same experience of the two previous games to the new generation without losing anything in the process, and only this is an achievement. It is multi-dimensional in many ways, including not only the main character, but other people, the environment and atmosphere. Rockstar understood that the noir clime doesn't resume in snow and black and white colors, and brought this in a beautiful and colorful Brazil's adaptation, which may be exceeded sometimes, but is still great. The only point the game misses is if the story in the beginning develpos in a really good way, the final act seems to finish faster and doesn't bring that plot twist that we would hope for. Expand
  61. Jun 3, 2012
    A rail shooter written by a child with a knack for the hackneyed. I wondered how Rockstar was going to fudge this up and now I know. Horrible narration by a whiney Max Payne in a setting that doesn't make sense, we find ourselves surrounded by characters cast in a such a bad light that they are utterly unlikable.

Then there is the game engine. if I die I quickly restart and replay the

Then there is the game engine. if I die I quickly restart and replay the same segment over. I leap through the air using bullet time to take out my enemies and to show how innovative it is I fall asleep before I hit the floor.

Then there is a cutscene where Max Payne searches for a complaint while the camera flahses strange colors like I spilled water on my PC. Now a **** viewfinder over a boring environment. Why are we here. Who are these people. Who cares. I don't.
  62. Jun 4, 2012
    Best third person shooter ive ever played(.) amazing graphics, and amazing story. Max is now my fav. Video game character. The best part of the game is the slow motion (bullet time) this is achieved by geting kills, and filling up your meter.. Then you can use it... Diving of biuldings, and down staircases in slow mo is awsome. And the story is good.. They some how managed to integrate theBest third person shooter ive ever played(.) amazing graphics, and amazing story. Max is now my fav. Video game character. The best part of the game is the slow motion (bullet time) this is achieved by geting kills, and filling up your meter.. Then you can use it... Diving of biuldings, and down staircases in slow mo is awsome. And the story is good.. They some how managed to integrate the bullet time into multiplayer.. It sounds crazy, but if you get enough kills, u can put everyone else in slow mo. The multiplayer isnt as good as the single, but is still good. Alot of customizing, and abilitys. I loved this game. Expand
  63. Jun 5, 2012
    welcome back to max payne. i was surprised that to hear that another max payne game was being developed, after playing the first two games a long long time ago i thought he was dead and buried. Max payne 3 is a marvellous story based game in the style of alan wake but much more fun. yes, there are a lot of cut scenes but this adds to the depth of the story. the controls are excellent. thewelcome back to max payne. i was surprised that to hear that another max payne game was being developed, after playing the first two games a long long time ago i thought he was dead and buried. Max payne 3 is a marvellous story based game in the style of alan wake but much more fun. yes, there are a lot of cut scenes but this adds to the depth of the story. the controls are excellent. the only problem i find with this game is if you get downed by an enemy and go into bullet time, occasionally you cannot shoot back at the bad guy who has downed you. apart from that, the story is brilliant and the multiplayer, although not perfect is a riot if you are on with friends. Expand
  64. Jun 12, 2012
    An OK game. Unlike Payne I and II there is not a lot of sneak up and listen to the mobsters then bust through the door and nail them all in bullet time. For some reason the AI always knows where you are regardless of how sneaky you are as if they are alerted to your presence immediately upon entering an area. Payne is constantly talking about something which actually got annoying becauseAn OK game. Unlike Payne I and II there is not a lot of sneak up and listen to the mobsters then bust through the door and nail them all in bullet time. For some reason the AI always knows where you are regardless of how sneaky you are as if they are alerted to your presence immediately upon entering an area. Payne is constantly talking about something which actually got annoying because if your in a room for more than 5 seconds he is already telling you where you need to go. The enemies did not increase in difficulty much throughout the game either. Payne fought for women he loved, out of revenge in I and II. In II he has no emotional connection to the people he is trying to save other than they pay his bar tab. I love Max Payne and could not give a negative review but it was a pretty poorly made game overall. Expand
  65. Jun 18, 2012
    Admit it. This game is a failure. The singleplayer mode features a story which has no connection with the first and second Max Payne game, and the plot is boring as hell. You will never want to play again. What about multiplayer? It's even worse than not having a multiplayer mode at all. It's just deathmatch, and only deathmatches. So basically, all you can do in a multiplayer game is runAdmit it. This game is a failure. The singleplayer mode features a story which has no connection with the first and second Max Payne game, and the plot is boring as hell. You will never want to play again. What about multiplayer? It's even worse than not having a multiplayer mode at all. It's just deathmatch, and only deathmatches. So basically, all you can do in a multiplayer game is run and shoot. I can't believe it's a Rockstar production! So disappointing! I gave 3 points for its fancy graphics. That's all. Expand
  66. Jun 28, 2012
    As is the norm with Rockstar, the character animations and environments look immaculate. The main problem I have with this game is the utterly formulaic layout of each level of the game. You'll spend hours shooting a wave of enemies from cover, then advancing, with almost no deviation from this pattern. This is to be expected from this genre, however. The one thing that saves this game isAs is the norm with Rockstar, the character animations and environments look immaculate. The main problem I have with this game is the utterly formulaic layout of each level of the game. You'll spend hours shooting a wave of enemies from cover, then advancing, with almost no deviation from this pattern. This is to be expected from this genre, however. The one thing that saves this game is how fun the gunplay and combat is. Bullet wounds look great, and Max will slowly get sweatier and dirtier as you progress through each fight. Every bullet is in real time - there are actual projectiles flying through the air, which is something that was required for the slow-motion combat. Speaking of which, the slow-motion combat looks great, and is tied in perfectly with the rest of the fighting. Again, the game is hindered only by the repetition of these fights. I have to give props to Rockstar for not including regenerating health, you must replenish your health with painkillers like in the previous games. This made the fighting intense and challenging, even on a normal difficulty. Painkillers are placed throughout a level in a manner that will make you aware that you're in danger of running out if you're hit too much. The multiplayer is mainly a lone wolf kind of deal, but you're able to use powerups in the middle of combat to help your whole team. All in all, multiplayer is quite entertaining, but there wasn't enough to keep me interested for long. All voice acting is pretty solid, though the story itself suffers from a lack of connection with the characters. Max's Noir-esque voice overs are done rather well. The only annoyance I got from these was the fact that he'll try to "help" the player progress if they're sitting around in a certain part of the level. For instance, I'd be checking out some of the details of a room when he'd say something like "I needed to move, it wasn't the time to be second guessing myself. I saw that the security door had opened" which caused some eye rolling. The cutscenes are well executed and fairly engaging. All in all, a fairly solid title. If you're a fan of shooting and explosions, you'll probably like this. It's decently challenging and good-looking, to boot. If you're looking for something with a little more depth, I'd pass this one over. Expand
  67. KRM
    Jun 29, 2012
    Rockstar yet again have shown why they are without a doubt the most credible and reliable game company in the world. Rockstar simply cannot make a bad game! I remember playing Max Payne 1 & 2 when I was younger (and being terrified at the opening sequence in Max Payne 1) and number 3 lives up to the reputation of the past two. Yeah it may not feel entirely the same, but that's because it'sRockstar yet again have shown why they are without a doubt the most credible and reliable game company in the world. Rockstar simply cannot make a bad game! I remember playing Max Payne 1 & 2 when I was younger (and being terrified at the opening sequence in Max Payne 1) and number 3 lives up to the reputation of the past two. Yeah it may not feel entirely the same, but that's because it's set in a different world and the game has been made in a different generation of console. The cinematic's are top notch, the best I've witnessed in a game since Red Dead and GTA (Rockstar yet again). The voice acting is superb. James McCaffrey is as brilliant as ever as Max, every line he utters is gold. The gameplay is also superb, Rockstar really used it's physics engine to full effect here. The music is fantastic, Rockstar as ever has crafted and picked a beautiful array of scores and the ending song composed by HEALTH entitled 'Pain' is masterful and emotional, it made me ponder the time I had grown up and spent with Max playing these brilliant games. The multiplayer is also very good and addictive. The only criticism I could possibly draw is that DLC is available to provide new maps based on levels from the story mode, where as I think that all maps based off levels from the story mode should be included from the start. Having said that this is a near perfect game and a brilliant possible conclusion to the Max Payne saga. Rockstar I salute you, and Max I salute you too. Expand
  68. Jul 2, 2012
    Rock star Games did an amazing job on this game. The campaign is intense, fun, action packed. You get right into the story and don't want to stop playing. Only bad thing i noticed of the story is it hard to go back to the main menu, kinda long cut scenes. Multiplayer is crazy good, its balanced, lots of weapons and customization. Beautiful graphics and good realistic actions to theRock star Games did an amazing job on this game. The campaign is intense, fun, action packed. You get right into the story and don't want to stop playing. Only bad thing i noticed of the story is it hard to go back to the main menu, kinda long cut scenes. Multiplayer is crazy good, its balanced, lots of weapons and customization. Beautiful graphics and good realistic actions to the multiplayer. When a grenade goes off you get thrown back from the explosion. You get shot in the leg you fall over or stumble. Overall the game has fun game play, good graphics, realistic features no other game has. Expand
  69. Aug 6, 2012
    Despite initially having low expectations for this game as it looked like the first two max payne games without the humor or the challenge due to the new cover mechanic. I was genuinely surprised by how good the game was. It had fantastic graphics, a gripping (but still cliched) story, tight gun play mechanics that still managed to provide a hefty challenge, and multiplayer that for onceDespite initially having low expectations for this game as it looked like the first two max payne games without the humor or the challenge due to the new cover mechanic. I was genuinely surprised by how good the game was. It had fantastic graphics, a gripping (but still cliched) story, tight gun play mechanics that still managed to provide a hefty challenge, and multiplayer that for once didn't feel tacked on to make an extra buck. If you're not a fan of third person shooters this game wont change your mind, but if you do enjoy them this among the best of the genre. Expand
  70. Jul 7, 2012
    Certainly game of the year material. The outstanding graphical engine, incredible cut scenes, adult material, satisfying length and completely satisfying gunplay are only outdone by the no holes barred difficulty level which demands respect and commitment. I've waited ages for an xbox game that puts together a challenge so well, even on standard difficulty it is a challenge but hard putsCertainly game of the year material. The outstanding graphical engine, incredible cut scenes, adult material, satisfying length and completely satisfying gunplay are only outdone by the no holes barred difficulty level which demands respect and commitment. I've waited ages for an xbox game that puts together a challenge so well, even on standard difficulty it is a challenge but hard puts it into another league. The AI is sublime and requires full use of the cover system and strategic use of bullet time for full effect. This takes the Max Payne formula and turns the volume up to 11. The satisfaction of melding as one with Max Payne and becoming a bullet machine outclasses all other 3rd person shooters I have played on xbox.

But it's the little things.. like voice acting done superbly, the physics engine which models the impact of every bullet, the frame rate steady even as the tension mounts, the lack of loading screens, the increasing difficulty curve constantly keeping you on your toes, to the brilliant multiplayer that really tests your skills that make this one a real keeper. Only a few quibbles, like the removal of guns at certain checkpoints, ocassionally lengthy save points, difficulty viewing enemies in some camera spots and a few scripted action sequences that dump you infront of an almost certain death, detract from the positive experience. These are all forgivable sins in a game this well put together.

If you do not possess fearless, well honed gaming skills, often turn the difficulty down to easy, and expect regenerative health cheating and stupid AI...then really steer clear as Max Payne 3 is going to hand it to you time and time again. For those serious old school gamers ready for a challenge and the tenacity to overcome the odds of a tough but mostly fair combat system Max Payne 3 delivers in the way only Rockstar know how. Why aren't more xbox games like this? Because most gamers aren't man enough.
  71. Jul 13, 2012
    What a game. It reinvents what it created to begin with. Pure innovation. Great to the point it feels like a movie. Online play isn't your regular Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but it does try.
  72. Jul 17, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, honest. I am a big fan of rockstar and their games (with my favorites being Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4), but this one just didn't cut it for me. On one hand, you have great visuals, with nearly all of your surroundings reacting to the many firefights you have throughout the game; Max has some of the most inventive skills I have everI really wanted to like this game, honest. I am a big fan of rockstar and their games (with my favorites being Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto 4), but this one just didn't cut it for me. On one hand, you have great visuals, with nearly all of your surroundings reacting to the many firefights you have throughout the game; Max has some of the most inventive skills I have ever seen in a third person shooter, and I would often dive into bullet-time just because I could. On the flip side, however, the controls can be quite a pain to deal with, as my character would often get caught on walls while performing bullet-time. I would get snagged behind cover, struggling to get my character out of the way of oncoming bullets or grenades. The story was fantastic, but how far can good story and great visuals carry a game with bad controls? Expand
  73. Dec 25, 2012
    MAX PAYNE 3 is the best game in the franchise. The first MAX PAYNE just looked like THE MATRIX and the second was a bit better. MAX PAYNE 3 has great graphics, great voice acting, campaign and its one of the best games of 2012.
  74. Feb 17, 2013
    It had been quite a while since I had played a shooter, so I thought I would pick one up. I decided to go for Max Payne 3 as I had been a fan of the first two games and it was currently on special offer. I was not sure what to expect from this installation, but I was glad to see that it largely lived up to it's predecessors. Just like in the first two games, Max is a fun character to playIt had been quite a while since I had played a shooter, so I thought I would pick one up. I decided to go for Max Payne 3 as I had been a fan of the first two games and it was currently on special offer. I was not sure what to expect from this installation, but I was glad to see that it largely lived up to it's predecessors. Just like in the first two games, Max is a fun character to play as cynical, jaded and with awful luck (and now with a serious drink/pills problem). Many bemoaned to move away from the film noir, graphic novel aspect of the first two, but it felt right to leave that behind in my opinion, as the game's setting would not suit that feel. For those who like their games at the cutting age technology-wise, maybe this is not for you the graphics are average and there are some technical issues at times. For the rest of us who are simply looking for a fun way so spend a few hours, you could do a lot worse than picking up Max Payne 3 and blowing away a few thousand terrorists, crooked cops and drug dealers. Expand
  75. Jul 26, 2012
    Rockstar did it again!! After playin this game I was a little suprised though as too why the rating wasn't higher up ..but brilliant storyline, stunningly beautiful graphics nd great characters ..not as good as red dead redemption in my mind but definately a great experience and one every gamer should have
  76. Jul 29, 2012
    So I rarely am disappointed with RockStar and this time was no different. This was a really amazing add-on to the Max Payne series. The game graphics were improved to a modern day shooter and kept the awesome, classic feel of the original games. With blood, violence, and drugs you expect, the game balances well with story, drama, and a connection with Max that no one wishes to have. MakingSo I rarely am disappointed with RockStar and this time was no different. This was a really amazing add-on to the Max Payne series. The game graphics were improved to a modern day shooter and kept the awesome, classic feel of the original games. With blood, violence, and drugs you expect, the game balances well with story, drama, and a connection with Max that no one wishes to have. Making you want to keep going and going until the end (which was solid). I did not play the multiplayer because, lets face it, who plays Max Payne for multiplayer? Replay value is at least twice to just make sure you find all the little detail and kill people in every way possible. A must for fans of the series. Expand
  77. Aug 2, 2012
    The game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the gameThe game is amazing.The story is well worth playing multiple times and the "In A New York Minuet" Mode make it very fun to play and compete against other player's time.The multiplayer can get a bit frustrating at times but I played it and never got mad that my team lost because I was having so much fun.The bullet time feature in multiplayer is amazingly fun and works very well.But the game does have its flaws,some players do cheat in online and the story is very hard to follow if you're a new comer to the Max Payne story.The multiplayer will need a little time to get the hang of but other than that the game is amazingly fun. Expand
  78. Aug 5, 2012
    Rockstar manages to deliver a high quality shooter. The third installment to the series boasts stunning visuals and physics, a lengthy and story-driven singleplayer campaign, as well as a competent multiplayer component. Max Payne 3 is by no means perfect, for instance by featuring a wee bit many cutscenes, but it's still a very enjoyable game.
  79. Aug 10, 2012
    This is a very competent third person shooter with good slow motion and bullet time effects but the occasionally the story detracts from game play as cut-scenes can be to long and cannot be skipped.
  80. Aug 19, 2012
    Rockstar did a great job with the franchise, everything works perfect and the game is fun to play. It is not, however, a good MAX PAYNE, and because of that I couldn't love it as much as I wanted to.
  81. Sep 2, 2012
    a very good game but it has a grim and depressing story some times upsetting but is very good!
    multiplayer is the best PVP games i have been in killing other player is so much better this game wipes the floor with Call Of Duty
  82. Sep 2, 2012
    I'll start by saying that I have replayed this game 3 times already. Not because of the story (which is also pretty awesome) but because the gameplay is that much fun. The controls are tight and after about 20 minutes you will be flying through the air bringing death in spades. The multi player is a pleasant surprise. Believe it or not there is bullet time and it actually works. . . unlessI'll start by saying that I have replayed this game 3 times already. Not because of the story (which is also pretty awesome) but because the gameplay is that much fun. The controls are tight and after about 20 minutes you will be flying through the air bringing death in spades. The multi player is a pleasant surprise. Believe it or not there is bullet time and it actually works. . . unless you are on the receiving end. I can't recommend this game enough to everyone who is a fan or new to the series. Expand
  83. Mar 1, 2014
    Definitely not one of the most original games out there, but still the same essential gameplay that makes Max Payne enjoyable to play. Definitely worth rental, as there isn't a ton of replay value. Overall, a very fun, if somewhat short and straightforward experience that shouldn't disappoint fans of both Max Payne titles, and shooters in general.
  84. Oct 18, 2012
    Max Payne 3 isn't an open world game like most of rockstar's games, nether the less it is a solid experience. The story had me hooked from the beginning and Brazil is a beautiful location. You play as a bodyguard for Rodrigo Branco, but after things go wrong you end up shooting your way out of most situations. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is tight and the shootdodge mechanic isMax Payne 3 isn't an open world game like most of rockstar's games, nether the less it is a solid experience. The story had me hooked from the beginning and Brazil is a beautiful location. You play as a bodyguard for Rodrigo Branco, but after things go wrong you end up shooting your way out of most situations. The graphics are gorgeous, the gameplay is tight and the shootdodge mechanic is so rewarding. If you don't like overly long cut scenes then i would probably steer clear of this game as there are a lot of them, otherwise i would recommend this game. Expand
  85. Oct 11, 2012
    Without having another Max Payne game under my belt but having watched Man on Fire and the Max Payne I think I have different expectations and perception of this game than most people do. I really liked it! I thought the slow mo gunning down people was fantastic so much that I picked up other games after and was annoyed that it was too fast and I couldn't be as much of a bad ass. I neverWithout having another Max Payne game under my belt but having watched Man on Fire and the Max Payne I think I have different expectations and perception of this game than most people do. I really liked it! I thought the slow mo gunning down people was fantastic so much that I picked up other games after and was annoyed that it was too fast and I couldn't be as much of a bad ass. I never really got bored of the weapons even though it felt like I was constantly using the same weapons. The ammo scarcity was really great to the point that you were cautious about making your ammo count but not to the point that was it was debilitating if you overextended ammo here and there. The story is really what stood out to me. While I would normally argue that the cutscenes were long and frequent it was paired with commentary throughout the missions that made it melt together fairly seamlessly. Visually the game looked really good, nothing groundbreaking, but just really good. The atmosphere was perfect. At times you were a high rolling body guard bad ass at a cool location and other times you were a grimy piece of **** blasting your way though people. I know people were bothered by how the character didn't seem like a real Max Payne, but having not played the originals, and assuming the movie wasn't entirely accurate to the character in the games I really didn't have a clear vision of who Max Payne was. After playing Max Payne 3 I can say this, he is a harsh bitter ol alcoholic who will mow through the bad guys; most importantly, I like him. Expand
  86. Oct 16, 2012
    It is clear that Max Payne 3 has been used "the latest technology, innovative design, large mechanical and absorbing narrative and people to redefine the third-person shooters", do not think they redefined anything, but have become one of shooting games I've played most powerful in the entire generation.
  87. Nov 1, 2012
    In terms of general production values the game is great - visuals and gameplay are both tight and the dialogue works quite well too. The main problem with the game (to me) is that the main character is someone who doesn't care about life and whose job it is to protect people so obnoxious that I don't care if they die, making the first hours a bit tedious. But lacking initiative to keepIn terms of general production values the game is great - visuals and gameplay are both tight and the dialogue works quite well too. The main problem with the game (to me) is that the main character is someone who doesn't care about life and whose job it is to protect people so obnoxious that I don't care if they die, making the first hours a bit tedious. But lacking initiative to keep playing based on story, it's still a tight action game for anyone who likes cover shooters and bullet time. Expand
  88. Nov 2, 2012
    Slow mo violence never looked and felt so good. MP3 is an incredible game with an amazing single player story that will have you travelling all over the world. The games mechanics are spot on, coupled with the superb bullet-time game and you have yourself the best action movie shot on a 6mm camera. The design is killer, and gameplay feels rewarding. This isn't one of those FPS shootersSlow mo violence never looked and felt so good. MP3 is an incredible game with an amazing single player story that will have you travelling all over the world. The games mechanics are spot on, coupled with the superb bullet-time game and you have yourself the best action movie shot on a 6mm camera. The design is killer, and gameplay feels rewarding. This isn't one of those FPS shooters that just pushes you through making you feel frustrated and pressured. No, instead in MP3 after every kill you feel a bit of satisfaction and reward for accomplishing a "diving-double head shot in slow-mo". This game has outdone itself both technically, and with the encompassing storyline. MP3 is a buy! A must buy. Get it! :3 Expand
  89. Mar 3, 2013
    While the game does have some good points to it, it gets beyond repetitive at times. Sometimes poor controls get in the way of the otherwise decent cover based shooting, but it is definitely nothing special. However as with most Rockstar games there are some moments that make the ride worth it
  90. Dec 27, 2012
    Rockstar undoubtedly had the best of intentions when making this game. However, while the gameplay is fine, albeit repetitive, the story doesn't make much sense, the multiplayer is just standard fair with a bullet time twist, and here are several immersion-breaking bugs, also with a few BIG game-breaking ones too, Max Payne 3 could've been something great, but instead it feels like anRockstar undoubtedly had the best of intentions when making this game. However, while the gameplay is fine, albeit repetitive, the story doesn't make much sense, the multiplayer is just standard fair with a bullet time twist, and here are several immersion-breaking bugs, also with a few BIG game-breaking ones too, Max Payne 3 could've been something great, but instead it feels like an unpolished, bland cash in. Expand
  91. Dec 11, 2012
    No spoilers

No spoilers

This is the first video game review I've written, and I am writing it because I felt compelled to do so. No game I've played recently has had such stark contrasts between the good and bad showcased within; being incredibly fun at times and unbearable in others. Although sometimes these alternated in such quick succession that it was making me feel as crazy as ol' Max himself. I want to start by saying I like Max Payne the character; I like where his story goes in this game, and I like the "gritty action guy" narration and grisly slowed down "bullet-time" stuff. It might be cheesy but I want to be entertained and on a basic level this is really fun tough guy entertainment. Max doesn't have real superpowers or anything. He's just a hard-ass dude who wants to do his job and then get all boozed up. It's great! In terms of gameplay it's very similar to the first two installments I remember from PS2. It can be challenging (on Normal mode) to a casual gamer like myself at times, but once you figure out what you should be doing you can usually win through by simply being more precise and playing better. However. This game is broken. It may simply be the XBOX 360 version that has problems, but the problems made the game frustrating beyond belief. For example when Max goes into a "Last Stand Mode" that players of this generation of games are familiar with he needs to shoot the last person who shot him. Which one? Meh, you died. The camera is behind Max's fat head? You died. The dude ducked behind cover? You died. Out of bullets in your revolver? You died. If for some reason the restricted "Last Stand" camera won't let you aim at the dude? You are dead. It gets worse. If you shoot the dude in "Last Stand" (only one bullet required) Max recovers while on the ground, takes a painkiller, and then STANDS UP! Like in the middle of a firefight. So you take damage from whoever you were ducking behind cover from. Sometimes a lot of damage. Like enough to put you into "Last Stand."

There are also Golden Guns in the game with parts (3) hidden throughout levels. Being a check behind the staircase person I found 2/3 parts of every gun. Not a single third piece, despite being curious. I thought I had explored the levels thouroughly, and just found it frustrating that in playing the game I didn't get to see what these guns did. Speaking of guns I found it just stupid that while there were in-game (non XBOX Live) achievements for kills with each type of weapon there was no system for achieving proficiency with a preferred gun. By the end of the game I had realized that it is better to simply take the gun with the highest ammo capacity because a shotgun and a .38 basically take the same amount of effort to dispatch an enemy. That's no fun. I want to get good at a weapon type. It just made the game duller where the system to have proficiency upgrades basically seemed in place, but was passed by.

The absolute worst was the cover-glitch. This glitch occurred occasionally throughout the game, and consisted of Max ducking behind cover and then freezing. I could reload, switch weapons, pause and drop weapons, but could not stand or escape cover. So I had to let someone shoot me to put me in "Last Stand" or restart from the last checkpoint. This was annoying but bearable until it started to happen more and more often towards the end of the game where levels become much longer and more challenging, with more time between checkpoints. I could laugh at many of the problems the game had but this was just maddening, and just seemed like pure laziness on the part of the makers.

It simply does not make sense for a top-tier game to have been released with this many problems. I spent 40-60% of playing time in this game replaying levels that had broken or killed me due to poorly made gameplay aspects, It was purely frustrating at many times when it should have been the most fun, and the overall experience was ruined. TL:DR - Overall experience of the game is ruined by poor programming, mechanics, and character control even though the story and general gameplay could be good. Lazy execution by the makers of the game. Very, very low replayability
  92. Dec 19, 2012
    It's kind of hard to explain how much fun Max Payne 3 really is. As a huge fan of Rockstar Games' work, I went into Max Payne thinking it would be awesome, and it was. Max has lived a troubled life. His family has been murdered. And he has become addicted to pain meds and alcohol. After being discharged from the NYPD because of involvement in criminal activities, Max has traveled to SaoIt's kind of hard to explain how much fun Max Payne 3 really is. As a huge fan of Rockstar Games' work, I went into Max Payne thinking it would be awesome, and it was. Max has lived a troubled life. His family has been murdered. And he has become addicted to pain meds and alcohol. After being discharged from the NYPD because of involvement in criminal activities, Max has traveled to Sao Paulo, Brazil with an old friend of his to work as a bodyguard for the rich and famous real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco. Max hopes that this will be easy work, a good "retirement plan," but things soon don't go as planned and Max is put right in the middle of another war. Max's story, to say the least, is arguably the best story of 2012. I'm not going to spoil anything about the story, but it features some of the biggest twists that take the campaign down a deep, dark, and gruesome road. The visuals in this game could not be better. Although I did witness some audio troubles during the cutscene to gameplay transitions, something that Max Payne is known for. Cutscenes are a massive part of this game too. Max Payne 3 is practically an interactive movie, where the cutscenes are the loading screens and they blend with the gameplay. This can be frustrating at times though. If you're looking to return to a mission hoping to get an achievement or a trophy, you have to watch the cutscenes entirely. The campaign is the best part of the whole experience. Let's not forget about the killer gameplay and controls. The gameplay is constantly smooth and never choppy. In Max Payne, you have special abilities like Bullet Dodge and Bullet Time. With Bullet Dodge, Max jumps into the air in slow motion, allowing him to finish off any remaining enemies with more precision, while at the same time dodging bullets that are shot. Bullet Time is similar, Max slows down time and finishes off enemies. Multiplayer is also a major plus to Max Payne. You have your standard modes like Free-for-all and Team Deathmatch, but you also have the unique modes like Payne Killer, where someone plays as Max and his partner Passos and the rest of the lobby attempts to kill them, and Gang Wars, a story-like game mode that consists of five different stages where one team triumphs over the other. Both of these modes are fun and really enjoyable. In conclusion, Max Payne is an incredible experience that sure isn't to be missed. Some audio issues and an annoying cutscene problem are this games downfall. But not by much. Expand
  93. Feb 24, 2013
    Disappointing effort for Rockstar; by fair their weakest game of the current generation. It's incredibly short, even by modern standards (about 10 hours for a playthrough), linear to the point of being completely scripted at times, and the gameplay is extremely shallow. If it weren't for the story and great presentation this game would be a complete dud. My only hope is that they carryDisappointing effort for Rockstar; by fair their weakest game of the current generation. It's incredibly short, even by modern standards (about 10 hours for a playthrough), linear to the point of being completely scripted at times, and the gameplay is extremely shallow. If it weren't for the story and great presentation this game would be a complete dud. My only hope is that they carry over some of the gunplay/cover mechanics to GTA V. Expand
  94. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite some minor issues (and a couple that aren't so minor), Max Payne 3 still manages to be a first-class third-person shooter and is thus one of the better games of the year. More importantly, it's a welcome return for one of the shooter genre's better series. The years may not have been kind of Max, but it seems he hasn't missed a beat. Expand
  95. Jan 22, 2013
    "Max Payne 3" is the third outing by Rockstar Games of the incredibly depressing, wise-cracking NY cop turned body guard. Being a huge fan of Rockstar Games ever since I played "GTA III", I never got around to the "Max Payne" games. Especially since graphics have improved tremendously since the PS2 era (and it shows here with an excellent attention to detail and a masterfully recreated"Max Payne 3" is the third outing by Rockstar Games of the incredibly depressing, wise-cracking NY cop turned body guard. Being a huge fan of Rockstar Games ever since I played "GTA III", I never got around to the "Max Payne" games. Especially since graphics have improved tremendously since the PS2 era (and it shows here with an excellent attention to detail and a masterfully recreated Brazil). Either way, It's fairly safe to jump into the third game without playing the first two. I think it serves the story even better that way as well. It gives Max a dark and mysterious past for me to discover and learn about. He's not the only complicated character either. Passos is your partner who helps you in Brazil. I thought the chemistry between him and Max were comically priceless. You need to know, though, that this is a straight-up,Die Hard, action game. The cutscenes are straight out of a Blockbuster action movie and the shootouts are, strangely enough, beautiful. Max even resembles the likes of a present-day Bruce Willis. I loved that he was a middle-aged man far past his prime. The folks at Rockstar are the best writers out there in the game industry and they write this morally-flawed hero to near perfection. His corny one-liners and monologues contrast perfectly to the realistically brutal world of Brazil. This game is very bloody and, if you're like me and love gleeful, Tarantino-esque violence, it will give you many "Hell yeah!" and "Holy **** moments. Also, the way you perform these shootouts is very fluid and as realistic as over-the-top action can be. This is Rockstar's rebuttal to the "Uncharted" series by Naughty Dog. Max Payne has this cinematic feel to it and I can easily say it's the best action movie I've ever played. My only issue with it was that some of Max's lines surpassed the cheese level I signed up for but they're mostly charming and clever throughout. Gameplay is very solid, story is chalk-full of good-old action and dialogue, and multiplayer is crazy fun. Trust me, this game kick-ass and allows you to deliver your enemies, dare I say it, maximum pain. Expand
  96. Nov 25, 2013
    The campaign is nice, the multiplayer is good but don´t have a thing that makes you with a need to play it. It´s another good work from rockstar but for me it can be better and for me the grade of this game is 8
  97. Aug 16, 2013
    [8.0] It definitely isn't Rockstar's best, but Max Payne 3 is impressive in many ways. It exceeds in both action and graphics, which makes up for the linear gameplay. Although it isn't quite as engaging as Grand Theft Auto, or Red Dead, Max Payne 3 is a great title for people who are waiting for GTA V.
  98. Feb 5, 2013
    I love this game so much the gunplay is so much fun and the story is one of mt favorite ever i love max and passos and the graphics are good to the gameplay is so much fun even if it gets almost to hard at the end but this game is so good
  99. lox
    May 19, 2014
    Surprisingly the first Max Payne game I've ver played, and I really really liked it. My only real gripe is the cutscenes were a little too long at times. But as a whole Max Payne 3 is gritty, immersive fun with great voice acting, a movie-like story and insanely fun multiplayer.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 8, 2012
    A compelling, down and dirty bullet basket populated by real characters and visceral gunplay. [July 2012, p.55]
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    The presentation is top-notch, the game feels like you want it to never end while you're playing it, and the multiplayer gives it longevity that will stick around for a good while.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 20, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great action-movie experience with life-like characters that Rockstar is famous for. It does fall a bit flat on the actual action part, however. The controls on consoles are confusing and hard to get used to. Still very much worth a play-thru. It's also one of the best looking console games in the current generation. [June 2012]