7.8

1. Jun 8, 2013
    Originally a PSP title this spin-off breaks the gameplay down into shorter missions. The series trademark stealth gameplay is still in evidence but many missions can now be played in co-op adding a new layer of tactics to proceedings. Between missions captured enemy soldiers can be used to help manage your home base in order to keep morale high and develop new weapons and technology. ThisOriginally a PSP title this spin-off breaks the gameplay down into shorter missions. The series trademark stealth gameplay is still in evidence but many missions can now be played in co-op adding a new layer of tactics to proceedings. Between missions captured enemy soldiers can be used to help manage your home base in order to keep morale high and develop new weapons and technology. This adds a further level of depth to an already deep and enjoyable game.

Cut scenes, although still unnecessarily intrusive on occasions, are also nowhere near the length of previous entries thanks to its background as a portable game. If you've enjoyed any Metal Gear game before Peace Walker is more than worth a look.
  2. Dec 11, 2013
    This MGS is probably the one with the most variety of Locales, enemies, activities, sidequests, and sidesystems that's ever existed. The boss fights are epic in scale, and the Character of Big Boss is finally explored as the Legendary Leader that created a Military Organization that could throw off the balance of the World.

Story wise, it's very satisfying. Gameplay wise, it's fun.

Story wise, it's very satisfying. Gameplay wise, it's fun. Graphic wise, it's a solid PS2 Game blown up to HD resolution. The fact that one can finally play this grand game without having to buy an overpriced Sony Handheld is just exactly what I needed.

Play this game, it's probably the best Metal Gear game to date.
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: 9 out of 10 Why didn't I know this game was a thing until now? This must have truly been the greatest handheld game outside of Pokemon ever made. This game is genius. I loved Portable Ops, but the controls just were not right. Peace Walker however fixes that with a unique control set up where the game never goes first person outside of snipers, turrets, andMetal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: 9 out of 10 Why didn't I know this game was a thing until now? This must have truly been the greatest handheld game outside of Pokemon ever made. This game is genius. I loved Portable Ops, but the controls just were not right. Peace Walker however fixes that with a unique control set up where the game never goes first person outside of snipers, turrets, and some rocket launchers. The story is best played after you play MGS3 since it takes place 10 years after, and references it a lot. The game does however struggle in some areas. The port failed to bring over saving pictures that you take with the in game camera, and the game doesn't use microphones without you being in a party. My other problem with this game would have to be a button mashing section that nearly brought my play through to an abrupt halt. Also very late in the game there is a point where you need to find someone in one of the missions yourself which I looked up online due to me assuming the game would eventually give me a hint. This game has a lot of reasons to come back to it. It still has a semi active online community since MGSO is offline, and unlock-able weapons and items are not all easy to get things. It is truly a shame that I never heard about this game until he collection came out, because it is a wonderful game that mixes up the MGS formula while sticking to it's roots. Expand
  4. Jub
    Mar 7, 2015
    I'll explain my perspective first. I played Metal Gear Solid [PS game] back in the day and loved it. Until recently I hadn't played any of the other games due to the consoles I owned. I then got the HD collection for Xbox 360 and I'm currently playing through that in preparation for the upcoming MGS:5 release. I've completed Snake Eater prior to playing this.

If you read my review on

If you read my review on Snake Eater you'll see I rated that game quite low simply because I found it's gameplay to be extremely lacking mainly due to poor controls. This game does not have this problem as not only does it allow you a choice of control schemes, but they're also customisable.

I appreciate that it was originally a handheld game and so I expect a certain degree of watering down. But to it's credit I think they actually made a really solid (no pun intended) game here. The only aspect of watering down that doesn't sit right with me is the way boss fights are handled. Without spoiling it - you don't need to prepare for boss fights in any way.

I also expect some people to kick off with regards to things that aren't present such as crawling and moving whilst against walls. At first it was a bit of a shock to me but after a while I realised that it isn't a problem. I actually like the use of lying flat in this - you do it just to hide, and not to crawl through the entire area to the exit. The ability to move between cover whilst crouched is a must, something that Snake Eater failed at. That's not to say you should spend the entire game crouched. That said, I did find the walk/run sensitivity quite fiddly which led to me using crouch more than I would normally.

I won't go too much into the story but I do think it was somewhat weaker in this compared to Snake Eater.

I somewhat moaned about fan service in Snake Eater and I realise that it's part of MGS. This game wasn't anywhere near as bad as Snake Eater for it and I wouldn't even mention it if it wasn't for the two things; firstly who is C├ęcile? And secondly, the other observation, if you can call it that, was Extra Ops 67. I'll be honest, it made me feel uncomfortable. I'm sure a bunch of people reading this are laughing at me, but whatever your stance is on the subject, Snake is pushing 40 and Paz is 16. Maybe it's me, maybe I should think that's normal but I don't. I don't object to this being in computer games altogether, just don't put it in MGS games.

This is already far too long now so in essence, I really enjoyed the game and I think that by itself it's pretty decent - it just felt a bit too casual for me and the story wasn't great. It's a good game but not a great one.
  5. Dec 14, 2014
    The game has a **** ton of content, an amazing storyline, the base building system is fun and has kept me going for days, I'm already well over 100 hours into this. This is what it feels like to run a PMC. This is outer heaven.

There are no critic reviews yet.