7.7

1. Oct 16, 2010
    I abloulotley love this game. It has all the features i want in a game and it exacutetes them all perfectley. The mode I love the most is the campus Legend mode.
  2. FredGlow
    Nov 18, 2008
    Comopared to Madden NFL 08, this games is a dream. The AI is great. The stadium layouts and mascot are great. Being able to call extended audibles with the right stick is innovative. I also like the college superstar mode, which is far superior to the NFL game.. Best of all is the ability to pitch with QB option. What a difference to Madden, which is nearly impossible to play.
  3. ajjay
    Aug 2, 2008
    This could have been a great game, had EA bothered to put it through QC testing. The graphics are very, very nice looking. However, this years edition has more bugs than ever, and that's saying something. Major things are broken. Tacklers should actually try to tackle the ball carrier, right? Not in this game -- they run away! The sliders don't work, and the CPU QBs never throw aThis could have been a great game, had EA bothered to put it through QC testing. The graphics are very, very nice looking. However, this years edition has more bugs than ever, and that's saying something. Major things are broken. Tacklers should actually try to tackle the ball carrier, right? Not in this game -- they run away! The sliders don't work, and the CPU QBs never throw a bad pass. Is EA capable of putting out a single game that doesn't need multiple patches to run properly? Collapse
  4. JohnB.
    Jul 25, 2008
    I love the NCAA Football series. I've long preferred it to Madden. I love the atmosphere, the game to game pressure to win, the option offenses, all that. That's why this version of the game is such a monumental disappointment.
    The game's problem's are pretty much isolated to its gameplay, but what a variety of problems there are. CPU passing is ridiculous; the CPU never, ever passes deep. Instead, the CPU will kill you with non-stop 8-12 yard passes that it completes with remarkable accuracy. I found that even QBs with ratings in the high 70s with the QB accuracy sliders reduced significantly would still easily complete 70-80% of their passes. Generating a pass rush is damn near impossible. Neither the player nor the CPU can seem to generate a half-decent pass rush with the d-line alone, and blitzes almost never work.
    If you do manage to get a stop and force a punt, there's hope: punt returns are ridiculously easy in this game. While coverage usually runs me down before I score, I was routinely returning punts 30-40 yards without much trouble. For that matter, most kickoff returns result in great field position as well: I think out of all the kickoff returns I've had so far (CPU and me combined) only one has been stopped at the 25 or less.
    Defensive pursuit routes on goal line plays can be laughable, whether it's the CPU or the player. It's truly aggravating to see cornerbacks backing into coverage when a scrambling QB is 3 yards away from them.

Lastly, the CPU running game sucks. While the CPU will occasionally break a long run, for the most part rushes are easily stopped for gains of 1-2 yards. Not that this matters much with the quality of the CPU passing attack.

All in all, it's embarrassing that this game shipped with so many obvious gameplay issues. I can only hope that some or most will be patched.
  5. JustinHenton
    Jul 21, 2008
    Gameplay is pretty solid but not 100%. Too many glitches to be great. The sad thing is that everything off the field is rough. The stadiums are ok, but the fans are horrible, sidelines and bad cheerleaders are NOT good and they show them ALL the time and the weather is TERRIBLE.
    Trading it in soon.
  6. GoDeepR.
    Jul 18, 2008
    Better animation, a little easier to pass, more options, the ability to put custom music in is fun. More broken tackles and the players fall forward more like they do in real life. The extra cheerleader animations and mascots are fun, but the crowd is still generic and the duplicate players and people on the sidelines just staring straight ahead all of the time takes away from theBetter animation, a little easier to pass, more options, the ability to put custom music in is fun. More broken tackles and the players fall forward more like they do in real life. The extra cheerleader animations and mascots are fun, but the crowd is still generic and the duplicate players and people on the sidelines just staring straight ahead all of the time takes away from the atmosphere. The game seems more fun so far. Expand
  7. VernonDozier
    Jul 17, 2008
    This is 2008 and we expect more than the same old klunky football with numerous bugs and problems. CPU can't run and never throws long; special teams is busted; roster crashes; no defense at all (last person with the ball wins); no DL pressure (even when blitzing 8); superhuman QB's routinely complete 80-90% of their passes; sliders don't do anything and there is talk thatThis is 2008 and we expect more than the same old klunky football with numerous bugs and problems. CPU can't run and never throws long; special teams is busted; roster crashes; no defense at all (last person with the ball wins); no DL pressure (even when blitzing 8); superhuman QB's routinely complete 80-90% of their passes; sliders don't do anything and there is talk that some are reversed; and I could go on and on. Poor effort EA! If you want a good playing game out of the box try APF2K8. It only got average reviews because they don't have the almighty license that EA has. Expand
  8. GregHamel
    Jul 17, 2008
    This game has just been getting minor improvements for years now, and 09 is no exception. Its not that good of a game anymore, its time for a serious overhaul. Plus you throw in the fact that the game is loaded with bugs this year and you have a game that can be passed on. Very underwhelming overall. The gameplay is better with some new animations, but there are so many annoying quirksThis game has just been getting minor improvements for years now, and 09 is no exception. Its not that good of a game anymore, its time for a serious overhaul. Plus you throw in the fact that the game is loaded with bugs this year and you have a game that can be passed on. Very underwhelming overall. The gameplay is better with some new animations, but there are so many annoying quirks that ruin it, players will run out of bounds even when they are wide open and running for a TD, linebackers will turn and run in the opposite direction of the ballcarrier, cornerbacks will hesitate and stand straight up to allow an offensive player to make a play, D-linemen are useless and will be wiped out by the worst o-lines in football. All of these are due to EA's attempt to make the gameplay more wide-open. Essentially all they did was make the AI defense absolutely retarded. Plus there is a roster bug where entire teams will literally disappear. Seriously. Again this game is so dated now, and the bugs/glitches this year just ruin it. Expand

1. When all's said and done, NCAA 09 may have some rough spots and bugs, there are ways around it that keep them from hampering the immense amount of enjoyment that the game offers.
  2. I didn't mean to harp on the gimmicks, but while there were some minor flaws in the game, it's a very solid effort for the long running series.
  3. Just as the addition of the Online Dynasty mode will satisfy many, the lack of significant improvements to other key modes of NCAA Football 09 will disappoint many others.