NCAA Football 13 Xbox 360

5.5

1. Dec 21, 2013
    NCAA Football 13 suffers from one problem. It feels as if it's a year behind Madden, creating no reason to play it. College fans, however, can find a decent football game here, though.
  2. dz9
    Jul 17, 2012
    Another yearly installment of EA's collegiate pig skin has been released, will it finally be innovated... at all? Let's start with the good.. EA has made minor but still significant improvements to the gameplay in NCAA Football 13. They have made the footing of your quarterback important, they have added hundreds of new animations to both sides of the ball, they have added a slow motionAnother yearly installment of EA's collegiate pig skin has been released, will it finally be innovated... at all? Let's start with the good.. EA has made minor but still significant improvements to the gameplay in NCAA Football 13. They have made the footing of your quarterback important, they have added hundreds of new animations to both sides of the ball, they have added a slow motion feature to the new Heisman mode and Campus Legend, they have made receivers become highlighted when they make a break on their route, and most importantly.. with these changes... they have made the gameplay much more intuitive and free flowing. A much welcomed improvement. But what about the career modes... you know... the modes that are suppose to keep you playing for hours upon hours?? Well.. this is where this game "drops the ball (pun intended)." Campus legend is the same as it has been since its introduction to the series but while maintaining the broken bland upgrade system as the '12 installment. Dynasty is exactly the same as previous installments and the new Heisman mode is essentially Campus legend but with some interviews to break up the action. In the End: The true-to-the-game football simulations fans have been screaming for is still not here. The new ESPN presentation like the "studio updates" are more annoying than authentic and the commentary is actually more broken than ever, having large chunks of silent gameplay. While standard online and quick games may be fun for a while, the career modes that substantiate the game are a copy-paste from previous installments. As soon as you hit 'new game,' you already feel like you have beaten it before. If you have any of the current gen NCAA Football titles.. you will be perfectly content with just downloading the demo for this one. Expand
  3. Jul 14, 2012
    When it comes down to it, football is football. Seriously what do you want them to do with it that they aren't already working on? It's not like a platformer where you can come up with new stages and powers, because this isn't a platformer, it's a sports game! This game isn't groundbreaking but it took some steps in the right direction. Hopfeully they can build on this game and improve the series.
  4. Nov 9, 2012
    The online dynasty continues to be its strongsuit but the gameplay and graphics have become stale in the final days of the current gen consoles. The Heisman Challenge game mode was a reach that failed and other modes have lost their luster.
  5. Sep 29, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. Although it is the redheaded step child of the EA Sports lineup. There are still a few issues with the "Super" linebackers and the "Sliding" safeties. The catch animations are amazing and the game truly displays somewhat of a collegiate atmosphere. If your just looking for some fun with a variety of teams, then pick this up.
  6. Sep 30, 2012
    Like many, I look forward to fall when I can enjoy NCAA football, and over the last 6 years I have bought each of EAs NCAA football releases. I do enjoy the heisman mode and think that using the "matrix mode" to slow down the action both in heisman and rtg add an element of depth to the game that is enjoyable. Progression through RTG, when you choose any difficulty less than heisman,Like many, I look forward to fall when I can enjoy NCAA football, and over the last 6 years I have bought each of EAs NCAA football releases. I do enjoy the heisman mode and think that using the "matrix mode" to slow down the action both in heisman and rtg add an element of depth to the game that is enjoyable. Progression through RTG, when you choose any difficulty less than heisman, seems a bit fast. I have played the game foe a few months now and wanted to give an honest review of the pros and cons of the ncaa experience this year.

PROS:
    Recruiting: I really do enjoy alot of the tweaking they did here. This is a huge part of the dynasty experience, and the changes are much appreciated.

Gameplay: Alot was made of the changes to both passing and receiving. I have noticed more realistic limitations to accuracy and power when throwing off the back foot but cant speak much of the changes to receiving.
    RTG: Lots of fun. Pretty easy to progress on offense and become a starter. Increasing stats is not hard. This is a great fun element to this series.

CONS:
    Graphics: Several of the advances we got over the past few years such as living grass last year were removed this year... The audience in the stands looks like cardboard cutouts.

Sound: Herbstreit, we really dont need a 30 second recap for our play. By the time you are done, Ive already run one more... One thing EA used as a selling point is a HUGE inconvenience. When they arbitrarily cut in for a game update and you are attempting to run a hurry up offense. It appears EA gave up on buying the rights to quite a few of the schools in this games fight songs, which is a shame and really does take away from the experience.

Recruiting: For all of the strides they made, they took a step back. In NCAA 12 At the end of the season, right before week 1 of recruiting started, usually somewhere around 100ish or so new recruits entered the pipeline. Now this was great because if you had a unfilled need, you may be able to fill it at the last minute. This was removed from this years game.

RTG: Ever try playing a DB in RTG? Give it a shot. It is pretty tough to earn more than 40 points per game in a high school rtg game towards that 5 or 6 star school you are interested in. Get 6 tackles? 40 points... Camera angles are HORRIBLE. They seem to change depending upon where the ball happens to be, and this is something that cannot be changed...

BUGS: These may eventually be worked out but... The menu sludge is unforgiving. I am not alone here when I say that I have had the system freeze while trying to load one of my saved dynastys (locks up same spot lost 4 years). I hope they dont regress next year as it feels like they did with this years title.
  7. Jul 10, 2012
    I don't feel super comfortable with giving this game a 10 but the fact that someone gave it a 0 (The same guy that gave Mass Effect 3 a 0 as well. Sounds like an EA hater to me) made me inflate my score by 1 to 2 points. This game is a step in the right direction for the franchise as it fixes some of the minor, but very noticeable issues from previous titles. With a new passing system forI don't feel super comfortable with giving this game a 10 but the fact that someone gave it a 0 (The same guy that gave Mass Effect 3 a 0 as well. Sounds like an EA hater to me) made me inflate my score by 1 to 2 points. This game is a step in the right direction for the franchise as it fixes some of the minor, but very noticeable issues from previous titles. With a new passing system for instance, receivers can no longer blindly make catches. In most cases you have to wait for the route to develop and/or the receiver to turn and look or it will be an incomplete pass. The same is said on the defensive side of the ball as defenders may throw their arms up in an attempt to block an incoming pass but otherwise won't be in position to make a play on the ball if they can't see it. I love this aspect of the game as it adds even more realism to game play. One area that they didn't seem to work on however is the run game. I was disappointed in that we had been told that they were no longer going to make a product that felt a year behind Madden but based off of what I've seen of Madden '13 it looks like this is indeed the case as EA has vastly improved the running game in Madden with guys no longer getting stuck behind blocking linemen and attempting to squeeze through even the smallest of rushing lanes. Even the graphics seem a bit more crisp in NCAA's big brother title. There are however, tons to be excited about if you are a college football purist. Dynasty Mode, which is my personal favorite, has more of a tv broadcast feel which I've always felt has been missing from both titles. Although it's still not quite where I'd like it, it does feel more like watching a Saturday matchup on ESPN. With mid game updates featuring Rece Davis and the addition of the ESPN Bottom Line ticker, this does add more to the Dynasty Mode core. If they can get the presentation up to the old 2K football standards (Which to this day is still the best) they can really take a giant step forward in recapturing the feel of an authentic tv broadcast. The game also has recruiting and scouting updates that adds more strategy to trying to land your top prospects. Road to Glory Mode is relatively unchanged. It has a couple of enhancements but is the same at it's core. I have no problem with it as I've enjoyed it the last couple of years anyway. Overall, I've enjoyed the game and will continue to like it even when Madden '13 arrives. I don't put the game away or trade it in as I enjoy playing year after year of Dynasty Mode and importing each draft class to Madden in Franchise Mode. If you're a true football fan you will keep this one side by side with it's older sibling Madden. Enjoy the pageantry of the college game while also enjoying juggernaut that is the NFL. Collapse

1. Aug 21, 2012
    Though the undercarriage of the game has not changed, EA has done a tremendous job of adding features, tweaking gameplay, and providing visual touches for NCAA Football 13. Heisman Challenge mode really puts this one over the top, providing a new experience and hours of gameplay outside of the well-known modes of play. Even if you have NCAA Football 12 sitting on your shelf, this is a must-own for any virtual football fanatic.
  2. Aug 21, 2012
    All in all, NCAA Football 13 marks a really enjoyable entry in EA's long-running franchise, and it shows that EA Tiburon still has what it takes to make a fun, exciting football game for fans.
  3. Aug 9, 2012
    The gameplay improvements are fantastic but, in the end, NCAA Football 13 fails to provide enough to warrant an upgrade over last year's title. While it is still an enjoyable game, much more thought will need to go into this purchase if you are a seasoned veteran. But as mentioned previously, if you haven't found yourself on the college gridiron in a while, it is well worth your money.