NHL 13 Xbox 360

6.6

1. Sep 11, 2012
    Anyone who plays hockey would know that this game is a great leap towards realism. I can't believe people say it's not worth $60... (I mean, people buy map packs all year for COD????). The EA NHL series has been one of the most innovative and consistently improving sports games around. Let's look beyond the menus and see what's really happening here... The skating, goalies, AI, GM Brain AIAnyone who plays hockey would know that this game is a great leap towards realism. I can't believe people say it's not worth $60... (I mean, people buy map packs all year for COD????). The EA NHL series has been one of the most innovative and consistently improving sports games around. Let's look beyond the menus and see what's really happening here... The skating, goalies, AI, GM Brain AI and presentation have received massive overhauls and they've added in the biggest online dynasty mode in sporting game history. In Australia (where I live, born in Canada though) this game costs us $99 and I still think it's worth every cent. I've read through lots of reviews and I think a lot of the reviewers either haven't played the game in depth or haven't played NHL 12 or they have never played hockey... Expand
  2. Sep 11, 2012
    Any of the reviews saying that this is just a couple tweaks away from being NHL 12, never really played NHL 12 that much. Smarter GM AI, a puck that doesn't get sucked into the gravity of a player as it passes them, the puck chop, smarter, more fluid goalies, and a new way of skating... that's all I've discovered SO FAR! I will agree that most of the games have just seemed like it couldAny of the reviews saying that this is just a couple tweaks away from being NHL 12, never really played NHL 12 that much. Smarter GM AI, a puck that doesn't get sucked into the gravity of a player as it passes them, the puck chop, smarter, more fluid goalies, and a new way of skating... that's all I've discovered SO FAR! I will agree that most of the games have just seemed like it could have been NHL 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, but I find that this iteration of the NHL franchise is the biggest leap forward since the addition of the skill stick! Expand
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    When an annual franchise can manage to fundamentally change a players strategy year-over-year it is definitely a sign of developers striving to provide the user with a unique experience that warrants a purchase every year. In NHL 13 the physics behind player
  4. Apr 7, 2013
    Realism, realism, realism. That is the absolute direction that Electronic Arts went with in their development of NHL 13. The game is incredible and nearly flawless with its physics engine.

The gameplay itself is fast-paced and extremely well-crafted. One complaint that I have made myself is the AI however. To be successful while playing this game, it is imperative that you control the player nearest the puck at all times. AI is extremely unreliable.

Skating is flawless, and the only hiccups that I find with the actual physics are occasionally with some of the bigger hits on the ice. Sometimes the players have been known to "bug-out" and it appears unrealistic. If that's the worst I can complain about, then I'd say it's a great game.

The online play is often good with good servers for most of the time. Occasionally I will come across a game that is a bit laggy, but that typically is a result of my own poor Internet connection or my opponent's. You are able to use guests online in NHL 13 and many online players take advantage of this ability creating a more diverse and fast-paced game.

Hockey Ultimate Team is a fun game mode however I find it marred by the fact that you are able to purchase the packs of cards with Microsoft Points which takes away from the novelty as some individuals have taken advantage of this aspect and created unstoppable all-star teams. Also, the ability earn the currency (EA Pucks) by playing single player games makes this a difficult one to take seriously.

Be a Pro and Be a GM modes are both well-done in this year's version of NHL. Be a Pro allows the user to take full advantage of either starting in lower-level hockey such as CHL or OHL and moving up the ladder until you get drafted by an NHL team. All aspects of your Pro's career are at your disposal.

Similarly, Be a GM mode allows the user to take full advantage of the organization's tools and capabilities. User also has control over the organization's farm system and drafting.

Overall, very polished game and deserves to be tried by hockey fans around the world. Please be aware that EA has taken the liberty of forcing the user to purchase a new copy of the game in order to have the online capabilities, or you have the option of purchasing a $20 online pass if you get your hands on a used copy.
  5. Feb 28, 2013
    There is not really much to say about NHL 13. Its the same mechanics from the previous games, EA doesn't improve much on the control, and it seems that the worst teams in the NHL are actually the toughest teams in the game. Honestly, If you are playing as the San Jose Sharks and you face off against the Columbus Blue Jackets the worst team in the NHL with a goalie (Steve Mason) that's aThere is not really much to say about NHL 13. Its the same mechanics from the previous games, EA doesn't improve much on the control, and it seems that the worst teams in the NHL are actually the toughest teams in the game. Honestly, If you are playing as the San Jose Sharks and you face off against the Columbus Blue Jackets the worst team in the NHL with a goalie (Steve Mason) that's a one year wonder and he plays like Patrick Roy in his prime? Give me a break. It seems like the NHL franchise is getting worse each year. EA doesn't add anything new, there is little graphical changes here and there, and updated rosters. Even though I mentioned some of the bad things in NHL 13, the reason why this game deserves an 8 is it still manages to be entertaining, the player movement feels smooth, and the game is trying to be realistic as possible, but sometimes I feel NHL 13 is trying too hard to be realistic. If you play hockey like I do, get the game, play it with your friends and have some fun with it no matter how much you suffer when you play the game. Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2012
    good game the new feature in this game are awsome the new player type and the goalie game play is pretty cool and the stanley cup edition box is very great
  7. Mar 22, 2013
    One of the best sports games I've played, A complete revamp of NHL 12. Better mechanics, better gameplay, better goaltending... urgh, better goaltending. My only problmis this. The goaltenders are like acrobats. Diving from left to Right to make ridiculous saves. Not too bad once you get a pattern down. Despite this, I love NHL 13. The realism (except the checking) is outstanding. TheOne of the best sports games I've played, A complete revamp of NHL 12. Better mechanics, better gameplay, better goaltending... urgh, better goaltending. My only problmis this. The goaltenders are like acrobats. Diving from left to Right to make ridiculous saves. Not too bad once you get a pattern down. Despite this, I love NHL 13. The realism (except the checking) is outstanding. The passing is precise, the shot direction is precise, the true performance skating is precise, It's all pretty much perfect. It also holds some comic value I have to admit. Delivering a check in the corners only to have your opponent so a full 360 back flip and land on his behind, or a simple half somersault and land head first, It is amusing to watch. Needs to fixed definitely but funny non the less. The only play is extremely irritating though. Not because of the game mechanics at all but games are completely dominated by lagg. It gets frustrating when going to check an opponent and have them warp through you or go for a poke check and nothing happening when clearly you make contact. All this topped off by unskilled players just spamming the RB when on defence kinda kills the online experience not enough to effect the game as whole. An amazingly fun game and can't wait for NHL 14. Expand
  8. Nov 11, 2012
    Just when you thought barrel rolls were only available in flight simulators, out comes NHL 13 to prove that man does not simply fly, he performs aerial tricks.
    Leonardo di Vinci would be ever so proud to see the grace and form of these graceful aerobic powerhouses.
    This is as close as I'm sure to get to a Cirque de Soliel game but damn it, I'm going to enjoy every second it offers!
  9. Dec 27, 2012
    This game is absolutely AMAZING! It is a must buy for all hockey games out there, and a real big improvement from NHL 12. For people who say that they can't spend 60$ on the game are just haters. It is well worth the 60$. MUST BUY!!!
  10. Mar 20, 2013
    My love/infatuation with hockey and EA's NHL games continued when I bought this game, I saw the trailers and was tortured for months till it's release. I wanted soooooo bad to get this game and I did, it drives me crazy at times but there's moments I find myself screaming at an awesome goal I've scored.

The HUT mode is a wonderful thing where you open packs of cards and try to build your ultimate team, I find myself playing that mode more and more just trying to build my favorite team (GO BRUINS) but the other players make it nearly impossible to buy your favorite players so it leaves you hoping you pick up that goalie who's 10,000 pucks in a HUT pack.

The graphics are amazing and my favorite mode is the winter classic just to see the snow fall on the open ice rink as you skate past defenders and head towards the net trying to deke out the goalie and make him flail to try and stop your momentum.

The online is fun with friends but if you're meeting random people they sometimes use glitches to help their team win.

The BE A PRO mode is back and improved once again as you try your hand at becoming an NHL legend, I just wish they had the game face importer like madden 13 does so you could feel like it's really you battling your way to the top.

PICK THIS GAME UP!
  11. Apr 20, 2017
    This game may or may not be acceptable to certain gamers. It depends on what you're used to and how flexible you are for the gameplay feels and goes. What I'm really getting to is the main addition to the game called True Performance Skating. This may take a little while to get used to, but in the end, it'll hopefully end up making the game feel and look much more like an authentic NHLThis game may or may not be acceptable to certain gamers. It depends on what you're used to and how flexible you are for the gameplay feels and goes. What I'm really getting to is the main addition to the game called True Performance Skating. This may take a little while to get used to, but in the end, it'll hopefully end up making the game feel and look much more like an authentic NHL playing experience. Like a lot of other sports games or video games in general with newer or altered controls, the game has a tutorial right from the start after a person thank you from cover athlete Claude Giroux. It tells you all about the aspects of this new skating engine, including acceleration, turning and momentum, and overall speed. You'll probably find yourself skating too hard or too fast and wind up skating into defenders and getting stripped of the puck, but this can gradually be adjusted to as you become more aware of just how fast certain players can accelerate. It's so realistic, it's even like real life driving physics, the faster your skating, the harder it is to turn in. This makes for an incredible experience as it brings a con or drawback to reaching toward your players top speed, just like in REAL HOCKEY. I love. Speaking of cars, it's like driving a new car with tighter handling than that of those in the past. It takes some getting used to, but will ultimately provide more control.

Enough of the true performance skating though. You'll see what I mean when you play. The addition of the Winter Classic mode is nice for something different and it's also nice to see some of the newer, remodeled retro jerseys in the game as well. I can't speak of much more than these two new features considering that I don't have nearly enough time on my minds to play online or even a franchise/season mode, but I couldn't imagine these aren't disappointing either.

What seems to bother some gamers the most about this particular game is how unrealistically challenging this game is on the default pro difficulty. It is true that some gamers may feel somewhat embarrassed or under/less rewarded when playing on too easy of a difficulty such as rookie, but NHL 13 takes this concept a bit too far. The AI learning bar/meter is turned up all the way which probably explains how superior the CPU is as far as making that perfect pass or reading the mind or playing style of the player. I highly recommend turning the bar/meter down so it's only 50% full and you should enjoy a far more even playing experience, provided that you have taken the time to feel out the new skating engine either in free skate or the skating drill at first before practicing in a scrimmage situation.

There is only one other downside to this game and that is it's replay value. It's so much of an improvement over a few of the last installments that it would be hard to noticeably top this game for years to come. The only thing EA was seemingly boasting about in the NHL 14 trailers was the '94 anniversary mode, which kind of implies the new fighting engine and additional checking physics are nothing special, and, for someone like me, that alone is not nearly enough to warrant a 60$ purchase. You'll probably be torn between choosing whether to but NHL 14 or 15 if you happened to miss out on NHL 13 but you shouldn't expect anything as impressive as the true performance skating just yet.
  12. Nov 20, 2013
    I spend probably hundreds of hours playing these games every year. This one was no exception. All of the game modes from the previous games are present and really, this game hasn't changed since NHL 11. The amount of glitches can be hilarious and make this game more enjoyable. I really only spend my time playing my friend in this game because he got so frustrated playing this game. TheI spend probably hundreds of hours playing these games every year. This one was no exception. All of the game modes from the previous games are present and really, this game hasn't changed since NHL 11. The amount of glitches can be hilarious and make this game more enjoyable. I really only spend my time playing my friend in this game because he got so frustrated playing this game. The game feels kind of inconsistent with the hits, shooting, saves, and CPU's 'trying' to help you, but instead take a stupid penalty. This game can be fun, but it's defiantly not worth $60 every year for a roster change. Expand
  13. Aug 18, 2014
    NHL 13 is a great game. The gameplay feels so realistic and is a blast to play. The best way to play is versus friends, as it creates some serious tension. A hockey fan's dream game.
  14. Dec 22, 2014
    I'm a big fan of hockey, I didn't get that much in NHL 12, I got this Game Yesterday. I't is the best NHL game to date till NHL 14. The New Physics engine and New skating engine is amazing. I will play this game till I get GTA 5 or COD advanced Warfare

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jan 24, 2013
    It's the ability to check opponents that is the real highlight of the violence. [Feb 2013, p.80]
  2. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Nov 16, 2012
    Still strong, but starting to show its age. [Dec 2012, p.103]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Finally the major changes come to the ice-hockey simulation and we have got quite a lot of improvements after last year's stagnation. [Oct 2012]