7.8

1. Nov 23, 2017
    A gem from a bygone era of gaming that wins you over with it's originality and charming design. The gameplay isn't always the easiest thing to get into. It's unique style of on-rails score hunting and exploration suffers from dated controls and surprisingly demanding requirements in place to end up with a good level rating. Nothing is explained going into it, so this is very much a learnA gem from a bygone era of gaming that wins you over with it's originality and charming design. The gameplay isn't always the easiest thing to get into. It's unique style of on-rails score hunting and exploration suffers from dated controls and surprisingly demanding requirements in place to end up with a good level rating. Nothing is explained going into it, so this is very much a learn as you go experience. However, it you take the time to learn all of it's intricacies, NiGHTS can prove to be a very rewarding game. It's just not going to grip everyone.

Racing the clock through different paths and trying to get as many points as possible can be quite fun when you aren't actually trying to win. The game's relaxing soundtrack, colorful graphics, and charmingly bizarre style makes it seem more accessible than it actually is. The boss battles are also exciting, if outright cryptic the first time through. One you realize that those final levels require you to hit a certain rating in each of the previous stages before you can unlock them, some of the enjoyment is sucked out of the experience. Getting higher scores and better end of level rankings requires more strategy than one would think. Memorizing the best paths and making the most out of the time limit is the name of the game. Unfortunately dated design and an unreliable control scheme make that much more of a pain than it needs to be. While I did find this to be an amusing experience, I was not enthralled enough with it to truly take the time to master it. I was perfectly happy with the hour or so it took me to get through the base stages (it's a very short, content lite game`).

Fans and newcomers alike are sure to find the inclusion of the Christmas level to be a real treat. One of my favorite things in this remaster was the option to play through the game with the original graphics or the newly updated ones. While the remastered visuals are crisper and easier on the eyes, the original look of the Sega Saturn's have their own appeal. So there's a little something extra here for those who are looking to revisit and old classic or those trying out the game for the first time.

So after all these years NiGHTS still has something to offer. The actual gameplay is of the hit or miss variety. This isn't the kind of thing that's going to appeal to everybody. At the end of the day though, even with it's flaws, NiGHTS has aged better than most other games from this era. There's also just nothing else like it out there. So whether it ends up being for you or not, I still think it's worth the risk to find out. Even if you only stick around long enough to experience the hour or two of base content that will allow you to find out what the game is about, it will at least be memorable and the low price tag means that it won't feel like you wasted a lot of money should you not like it. There's a reason this game has such a following. I wouldn't mind seeing a more casual, less exacting follow up sometime in the future. This is an original style of gameplay that might just be due for a return, minus the baggage.
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    I absolutely love the heart and imagination that went into this game. Even more than that I adore the soundtrack, one of the best Sega's ever done. That said this game controls and plays like like an epileptic seizure, it's insanely complicated despite its simplicity and is simply a chore to play through. To put it simply the camera is way too close to you for you to know where you'reI absolutely love the heart and imagination that went into this game. Even more than that I adore the soundtrack, one of the best Sega's ever done. That said this game controls and plays like like an epileptic seizure, it's insanely complicated despite its simplicity and is simply a chore to play through. To put it simply the camera is way too close to you for you to know where you're going and what you're going to need to do to get a good time or good score (as it is just a score attack game). I suppose you're just supposed to memorize EVERYTHING but that still makes the first several playthroughs of a level frustrating and horrible. At least the bosses are fun, they work way better than the actual stages to get to them. While I definitely appreciate the effort Sega put into this (includes the original Saturn version and Christmas NiGHTS as well as many other goodies) and the low price, perhaps a bit of effort to make it more playable would have helped. Expand
  3. Jun 11, 2013
    I'd being lying if I didn't say NiGHTS was an......interesting experience. Having never played the original on SEGA Saturn and seeing the various problems with the Wii game NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, I was a little hesitant to buy the rerelease on Steam. However after a while I decided to play it out of curiosity. The most entertaining part of NiGHTS is the gameplay, I could tell after theI'd being lying if I didn't say NiGHTS was an......interesting experience. Having never played the original on SEGA Saturn and seeing the various problems with the Wii game NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, I was a little hesitant to buy the rerelease on Steam. However after a while I decided to play it out of curiosity. The most entertaining part of NiGHTS is the gameplay, I could tell after the first few minutes that this was a game made by Sonic Team. It's exciting when you get a feel for the control and start flying through the levels without anything stopping you, and you can go pretty fast and get a lot of point if you know what you're doing, if you know what you're doing though, you're probably on a second, third, or even forth play through because NiGHTS barely gives you any info about how to properly play it. The instructions give you just enough info to get through, but if you want to get the best score, you'll have to figure that out on your own. Finally, a fair bit of warning, this game is incredibly short, if you just play it without getting "A ranks" then you'll probably get though the game in an hour or two, maybe less. I'm not saying NiGHTS isn't fun, I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect it to keep your attention for a long time. Expand

1. Jan 28, 2013
    The only thing the HD rejuvenation really imbued is the graphic design and that's simply not enough to recommend Nights into Dreams to anyone but true retro lovers.
  2. Jan 11, 2013
    As a visually-renovated trip down memory lane, NiGHTS into Dreams largely succeeds. Unfortunately, the game design has two competing forms: one is breathless, invigorating, and fluid, while the other is lumpy, broken, and boring. However, in the moments when the game's flight, flow, and nostalgia combine, it's difficult to think of a more satisfying experience.
  3. Official Xbox Magazine UK