8.4

1. Jul 10, 2011
    Portal is meant to play only by genius people. People that complained about this is because they cannot handle the puzzles. Never in my entire life thought about some company to put the FPS genre and fuse it with( as already said) puzzle genre. The graphics looks good and bad, but thats not necessary. The controls are great and the puzzles itself are bizarre.
  2. Apr 17, 2011
    This is one of my all time favorite games, funny lines, puzzles that look hard until you remember you have a portal gun, greatist thing since sliced bread deserved a full release and a sequal
  3. Jun 12, 2013
    Every once and a while a game comes along and takes everyone by surprise with its quality, Portal is one such game. Originally ported to the Xbox as part of Half Life 2: Orange Box collection its clever physics based puzzles and strange sense of humour was like nothing that had ever been seen before. Whether you like puzzlers or not Portal is a game that everyone should experience.
  4. May 9, 2011
    Portal is a great concept, brilliantly executed. Wonderful, intuitive puzzle design, a great visual aesthetic, and some of the funniest dark humor narration you could want. Short but there's not a bad moment to be found and this version of the game comes with a whole new challenge mode where you complete short puzzles under strict time limits to earn medals...this encourages some reallyPortal is a great concept, brilliantly executed. Wonderful, intuitive puzzle design, a great visual aesthetic, and some of the funniest dark humor narration you could want. Short but there's not a bad moment to be found and this version of the game comes with a whole new challenge mode where you complete short puzzles under strict time limits to earn medals...this encourages some really creative portaling! Expand
  5. May 27, 2011
    When I played this the first time, I stayed up all night with my nephew and his foreign exchange girlfriend until we beat it. It transcended the language barrier. It was like nothing we had played before. It was clever, mind blowing, funny, challenging, innovative...just an absolute blast and completely engrossing. There wasn't much reason to play through again, and it only lasted oneWhen I played this the first time, I stayed up all night with my nephew and his foreign exchange girlfriend until we beat it. It transcended the language barrier. It was like nothing we had played before. It was clever, mind blowing, funny, challenging, innovative...just an absolute blast and completely engrossing. There wasn't much reason to play through again, and it only lasted one night (about 6-8hrs) but I will never forget the way it made a portal in my brain when I first stepped through one, saw myself, and went..."Whoa!". Collapse
  6. Jan 7, 2015
    The developer commentary featured in the "Still Alive" XBLA version of Portal is incredibly insightful. Well aware that they had created a completely new animal, the first-person puzzle platformer, the guys and girls at Valve explain how each of the 19 puzzle chambers was carefully engineered to gradually "train" the player and equip them with the necessary skills to tackle theThe developer commentary featured in the "Still Alive" XBLA version of Portal is incredibly insightful. Well aware that they had created a completely new animal, the first-person puzzle platformer, the guys and girls at Valve explain how each of the 19 puzzle chambers was carefully engineered to gradually "train" the player and equip them with the necessary skills to tackle the increasingly more complex challenges. Some levels were modified, some cut completely, and additional ones added based on the responses of the playtesters. There's no filler, everything is there for a reason. It really illustrates how impressive the game is - not only refreshingly original, but also constructed to perfection.

Portal is short. It can be completed in a couple of hours, but it houses more new ideas and memorable moments than most other titles ten times its duration, and that's really what matters. The escape sequence at the end, which all that training has been leading up to, is the highlight, and means that the game is one of very few which continuously builds up all the way through and peaks at its conclusion. The characters are also excellent - the menacing GLaDOS and her chilling dialogue, and player character Chell for the exact opposite reason - because she is silent and almost invisible, giving the player a real personal connection to the villain.

The sequel, released four years later, was also spectacular, but the first game left a much greater impression on me. Portal 2, while possibly the funniest game I have ever played - largely thanks to Stephen Merchant's portrayal of Wheatley, was understandably an evolution of the first game. It contained some nice innovations and furthered the physics-based puzzling with a handful of new obstacles, but the exploration sections of chapter 6 just dragged far too much for my liking. The success of Portal meant that the budget and scope for the sequel was much greater, and it ended up not quite being as concise and perfectly-formed as the first game, which was perhaps to be expected. Nevertheless, it was a fantastic effort.

Playing through Portal felt like returning to the early days of videogaming, when everything was new and every game needed to be learned from scratch. A first-person game which didn't involve killing bad guys by shooting at them? Who would have thought? (Shooting a portal onto the floor underneath a turret doesn't count.)
  7. Jul 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Truly awe inspiring. How Comedy mixes with Platforming and FPS, truly marvelous. It's one of the most memorable games I've ever played. The cake at the end of that game looked delicious and made me want to play it again... and I did. Expand
  8. Jan 18, 2013
    AS someone who wasn't going to waste money on the orange box for a single game, this title game is wonderful for those who just want Portal. The extra maps are nice and unlike the achievements in the Orange box, these ones are actually possible to obtain by human beings.
  9. Nov 28, 2013
    I have finished portal a hour ago, waw great experience, one of the best puzzle games ever, brain breaking tests for the thinking gamer, great black humor history, and the big motivation to get the cake, i still want to taste it...
  10. May 29, 2014
    A good puzzle shooter that will keep you entertained for a few hours. "Only a few hours" you may say and yes. This game is really short, but it got replay value so no worry. But the average time to beat the story will be 2 hours or less. There are also some Challenge Maps that you can do after beating the story, but this will most likely stretch the playtime to about 6hours. This is justA good puzzle shooter that will keep you entertained for a few hours. "Only a few hours" you may say and yes. This game is really short, but it got replay value so no worry. But the average time to beat the story will be 2 hours or less. There are also some Challenge Maps that you can do after beating the story, but this will most likely stretch the playtime to about 6hours. This is just the only negative thing about this game, the rest of the game is nearly perfect. It's fun, challenging and it's also having a great humor. Buy it Expand
  11. May 27, 2011

1. Clever humor that'll have you chuckling for months. [Dec 2008, p.93]
  2. It's easily the best puzzle game to come along in quite some time and arguably up there with some of the best we've seen within the world of videogames. [Issue#38, p.114]
    Part of what makes the main Portal experience so successful is that the game draws you in quickly, subtly creates a believable world with every new room and then begins to slowly draw back the curtain. Much like a fine malt liquor, Portal sneaks up on you.