Red Faction: Armageddon Xbox 360

7.0

1. Aug 13, 2016
    Red Faction Armageddon is a step down from Guerrilla,but is still a pretty good,if unoriginal,shooter.

Armageddon is linear,unlike Guerrilla's open-world.The destruction has been refined though.Armageddon's gameplay is solid,with new toys to help you stop the alien invasion. The game can feel very repetitive at times,with the same objectives and waves and waves of the same enemies.

The graphics are pretty good,but the framerate can drop sometimes.

The sound effects are great,particularly the explosions.But the soundtrack is quite poor.

The game isn't very long either.It will last around 7 to 9 hours.

Overall,Red Faction Armageddon is a relatively enjoyable shooter that can scratch your destructive itch.
    Just don't expect a long or original game.
  2. Dec 9, 2014
    I was a big fan of the original Red Faction when it was released in 2001. Unfortunately, the subsequent releases have gotten worse and worse. This title is no exception. Entertaining for the first hour or two, you quickly find yourself bored of smashing buildings in the environment. The story doesn't help things, I found myself not even paying attention to it. The mechanics are done well.I was a big fan of the original Red Faction when it was released in 2001. Unfortunately, the subsequent releases have gotten worse and worse. This title is no exception. Entertaining for the first hour or two, you quickly find yourself bored of smashing buildings in the environment. The story doesn't help things, I found myself not even paying attention to it. The mechanics are done well. Though there is nothing specific to hate about this game there is also nothing to get excited about. Expand
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    Basically if they had the gameplay and made it open world exactly like guerrilla but also adding aliens, it would be an easy nine.

Pro: Geo Mod 2. Weapons, especially that magnet gun. Repair function. Good story nothing special but an improvement on G. Good voice acting. Fun. Atmospheric. Cons: Bad soundtrack. 6 hrs long? Linear. It took underground where fewer buildings

Pro:
    Geo Mod 2.
    Weapons, especially that magnet gun.
    Repair function.
    Good story nothing special but an improvement on G.
    Good voice acting.
    Fun.
    Atmospheric.

Cons:
    Bad soundtrack.
    6 hrs long?
    Linear.
    It took underground where fewer buildings are, so what's the point of having a destruction built engine?
    Boring the second time.
  4. Apr 30, 2013
    Red Faction guerrilla was such a fantastic game but with this game it seemed like they took a backwards step. Ok, so their are some cool features within this game such as the weapons and the storyline. The Story happens after red faction: guerrilla and takes around 8 hours to get through which is a good amount of hours but after the story their is not much to do apart from infection modeRed Faction guerrilla was such a fantastic game but with this game it seemed like they took a backwards step. Ok, so their are some cool features within this game such as the weapons and the storyline. The Story happens after red faction: guerrilla and takes around 8 hours to get through which is a good amount of hours but after the story their is not much to do apart from infection mode which just seems bland and boring. They have not implemented a competitive multilayer within this game, as I put so many hours into the competitive on guerrilla I thought that this would of been a must with in this game. It would of been nice to see a bit more destruction available but being in caves most of the game seem almost claustrophobic. I feel the next red faction needs to be like the previous game and not trying to be some big blockbuster that this one was trying to be, this would revamp the series and the destrucability of guerrilla was the highlight of the game. I would recommend this game to people that don't use Xbox live and enjoy solo campaigns. Expand
  5. Apr 5, 2012
    I picked up Red Faction for $10 and thought at that price, I couldn't go wrong. Boy was I wrong! If you like fighting alien bugs over and over again inside confined spaces, then you will love this game. If not, then you will probably get annoyed at the repetitiveness and barely be able to tolerate playing through to the end thanks to the sometimes enjoyable destruction and magnet gun mechanics.
  6. Nov 21, 2011
    This game is a rental it was fun different and the magnet gun is all you need lol. I felt like I was in starship troopers BUGSSSSSSSSSSSS! I was expecting more from Mr. toots lol but it was still funny. Find it for 15 bucks pick it up its always fun to shoot a black hole at buildings and see them explode lol. Armageddon is not much on story or game play its just an average game with fun weapons.
  7. Aug 23, 2011
    Having 'Armageddon' as the sub title, says everything about this game. You will have fun blowing everything to hell, but it's also a little unoriginal, especially when you consider the last game's open world geurilla warfare gameplay.
  8. Jun 11, 2011
    I'm very sorry for not noticing this before - I play this on the PC and meant to post to that page. I have not played the 360 version and would probably think differently about this game because the DX11 graphics on the PC are SUPERB. That changes a lot for me. So sorry for the double review, just wanted to clarify. I dropped this review down 2 notches because the difference in PC vs 360.I'm very sorry for not noticing this before - I play this on the PC and meant to post to that page. I have not played the 360 version and would probably think differently about this game because the DX11 graphics on the PC are SUPERB. That changes a lot for me. So sorry for the double review, just wanted to clarify. I dropped this review down 2 notches because the difference in PC vs 360. I'm not trying to console bash here, it just is what it is. This game takes advantage of advanced technology for advanced PC's and that changes the experience. Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2011
    This game is a most unfortunate example of regression from a predecessor of exemplary quality.

Can we start off by saying that RF:Guerilla continues to be one of my favorite playing experiences in the same league as Red Dead and others. Here was a rare game with some sense of impact on it's world where buildings destroyed would remain collapsed. The wide variety of ways you could use the tools on hand to achieve your goals. Whereas I was hoping for a refinement of the Martian sandbox game we instead have a very technically solid game that I found lost what made Guerilla so gravitational. Choice is replaced with direction. An emergent world is replaced by repetitive set pieces.

It feels like development was aimed at being more like everyone else (CoD, Dead Space and Gears of War come to mind) instead of staying at it's unique spot in the sandbox genre. I mean what other game let's you strap explosives to your vehicle, drive it INTO a big building before leaping out and detonating it? Plus a myriad of other ways to accomplish the objective on top of that.

Still this game has it's good side as well. Your amoury is varied, imaginative and effective. Probably the best assortment of guns in one game that I can think of. I feel the mediocrity of this gaming experience will keep the gravity gun from getting it's due, but it is the most well realized and imaginative weapon in years. The destruction is done very well, though in such confined spaces and unrevisited levels, it lacks the significance of RFG. To expound on that, in RFG I would activly try to maintain some structures as routes of escape or because it was some settlers home. In this game I know I'll never be back so I just lay waste and move on with a sense of detachment.

So may I suggest a return to an open world sandbox game of destruction for the next Red Faction? Volition looks to be doing such a good job on Saints Row the Third (had to watch IGN's E3 live demo ~ 6 times) - you know you have sandbox games in your repertoire!

Signed - a mildly disappointed fan
  10. Jun 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has pretty good graphics, good but repetitive gameplay, very similar levels, and an amazing physics engine. The largest reason to buy the game is its destruction engine. The largest turn off is its plot. The plot starts strong, but near the end, Kara, the one character who makes the plot bearable, dies, and at the worst possible time too. Darius is a very simple, boring, and dumb character, he doesnt seem to mind when his friends die, or when he unleashes the bugs on people. Kara is an interesting character, but she is hardly there for most of the game. Frank is pretty much the stereotypical soldier, think carbon copy of Johnson from Halo. The ending doesnt even resolve most of the problems and the villains dont seem to think about plans. IE how did Hale think a bunch of homicidal bugs were going to somehow propel him to the seat of planetary ruler? Also, the audio logs tell a much more interesting story, but you cant follow up on that one. You get stuck with the simple bug hunt plot. All in all, this game will probably entertain you for a couple of hours, then you will regret the purchase.

PS this game doesnt have an open world setting or emphasis on vehicles like Guerrilla did. Most people, including me, think this is a HUGE step backwards for the series, as Guerrilla had these, and a better, if simpler, plot.

1. Sep 15, 2011
    Although Red Faction: Armageddon offers one of the coolest weapons of the year, a good weapon mechanic and destructible environments, the game falls flat with an uninspiring single-player campaign and a short-lived multiplayer segment.
  2. games(TM)
    Aug 8, 2011
    It's a shame that these excellent physics and novel weapons haven't been given a better showcase. [Issue#112, p.112]
  3. X-ONE Magazine UK