7.2

1. Jul 23, 2011
    Maybe it's narrowed down to a more linear level progression, story driven kind of game, instead of it's predecessor's successfully huge, GTA like open-world sandbox, but Red Faction: Armageddon is truly one of the most beautiful and mind blowing games that Geo-Mod 2.5 could ever produce, it truly pushed the destructible environment element to it's limits. The plot of the game sticks to the Red Faction franchise origins, even though the addition of alien specimen encounters are core to it's success or failure. The controls are pretty much similar to Guerrilla but with a more enhanced scheme. you'll encouter many Martians through your guns blazin' adventure, but what really makes it enjoyable is how many you'll end up killing in a gameplay through hell and out of it, and with the satisfying set of tools and weaponry, the eye-popping environment destruction and intensity through it all just makes it an addictive master piece you'll regret not experiencing. Overall, it's disappointing to most fans of the series, yet it's an amazing spin off towards the potential better development of the franchise. Expand
  2. Jun 21, 2011
    I've been playing the Red Faction games since the first one came out (I liked it better on PC than PS2) and I have to say that I think this is the best one since that first title. I didn't care much for Guerilla, I thought the open-world was an excuse to compete with superior sandbox titles like GTA and Saints Row (same company, unnecessary to have 2 of the same type of game), but i definitely liked the evolution of the weaponry and the environment destruction tech. Armageddon keeps the graphical/technical feel of Guerilla, but streamlines it into an experience more akin to the first game. Mars just didn't have enough to explore to make it feel worth my time to venture out, but as soon as I finished my first campaign of Armageddon, I started a new one with all of my stuff intact from the last playthrough (similar to Dead Space 2 - and you can actually change difficulty!). I will admit that the environment leaves a bit to be desired, and the graphics are solid but uninspiring. Otherwise, single-player alone was enough to warrant a purchase for me, and multiplayer is well-designed if a little on the lightweight side (4 player co-op only, no versus). If you're a dedicated fan of the Red Faction series, this title should not feel out of place in your collection. Expand
  3. Jun 20, 2011
    This game is amazingly fun. It may not have the longest campaign but it is very fun. The enviroments re varied enough that they don't get boribg and infestation mode just adds to the already amazing campaign. Its a must buy for everyone!
  4. JET
    Jun 20, 2011
    This game is amazing! The campaign, whilst not being the longest, is varied and fun enough to never get boring. Then there is the infestation mode which just adds to the games life. This is a definite must buy for any fans of 3rd person shooters.
  5. Aug 3, 2011
    There are a lot of people slamming this game because of its linear game play and primarily story based missions,but I've got to say that this was my biggest surprise of the year. Not only was it memorable and absolutely gorgeous to play, but it also had a tonne of charm mixed in that so many modern games seem to be lacking these days.
    After the disapointing affair that was Guerrilla, it
    was a refreshing and bold move that I feel has paid off. Though more effort could have been given to the alien encounters, I feel that Armageddon is an almost flawless experience. Expand
  6. Jun 8, 2011
    This game is a great buy! Even though it lacks the open world experience that Guerrilla has, it doesn't lack in gameplay. This game is focused on a good story line rather than destroy this building, destroy this building, save some colonists, kill a squad of enemies, etc, like Guerrilla was.

The Multiplayer is absolutely great, there is nothing like blasting some Aliens with Mr. Toots.
  7. Jun 7, 2011
    Ok i know the criritcs bashed this title before it ever came out for not being sandbox. Ye, its not sandbox but its still a great game. the underground parts are where the destruction is limited, but many levels are not undeground. so i don't really get why the critics were complaining about the underground because it's not all underground. It could have had more destruction but THERE CAN ALWAYS BE MORE DESTRUCTION!!.

Anyway i really found that the vehicle s made up for the lack of free roam world to destroy. some of the vehicles are epic!!! Also the gravity gun smashes stuff into other stuff. need i say more? that is awesome!!!!!!!! then if i destroy an object that i need i can use the nano forge to repair it. this is good because i want to destroy everything.

The multiplayer is my favorite part though: no story, just destroy stuff and kill stuff. ruin mode is also good and shows off the destruction aspect of the game. all you do is destroy stuff while being timed.
  8. Jun 13, 2011
    I have enjoyed this game immensely!! Love the third person action then switching over to 1st person for Vehicle missions. Great guns, great perks, lots of destruction.........Just simple uncomplicated brainless fun. Once in a while it is refreshing to play a shooter of this Sci-Fi Genre. Cartoonish Graphics during game play but but well done with vibriant colors. Movement is excellent, very similar to Gears in that aspect. So if you are looking for a game that is alot of fun without the complexity of a military shooter, then this game will definelty be worth the $60.00 dollars of 8 to 10 hours of playing time. Damn most of us spend that on a Dinner for two. Expand
  9. Jun 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I felt compelled to post a review as a reaction to the negative user reviews people have posted in regards to this title. Let me start by saying that I have spent around 25 hours playing this game so far, and have enjoyed every moment. Rather than rehash the features of the game I'll address the most common complaints people have raised in regards to it and explain why I see them as being flat out WRONG.

Lack of sandbox: Yes. Other notable games that lack sandbox modes include Call of Duty (all entries), all Halo titles (all right, ODST had a pseudo-open structure), Dead Space 1 and 2... shall I go on? The point is that Armageddon has more in common with any of these games than with the previous installment of Red Faction - the developers have chosen to present a linear campaign rather than Guerrilla's open world, and the only common elements between the two titles are the setting and the destruction game mechanics. This should only be a concern if the title was being presented as having the same gameplay as Guerrilla, which it is not. Story length: Given the above discussion of the game's structure, compare the campaign length of Guerrilla to any of the titles I've listed above. It is comparable to the majority of shooters. Complaints about this current reality of game design should be levelled against the market as a whole - to single out this title is ridiculous. It should therefore be judged against its genre competitors, where it stands favourably, especially given the New Game Plus feature and in-game unlockable cheats that the game provides as incentive to dip back into the campaign. I have played it 2.5 times through so far, and each time tackled each mission differently, largely due to the sheer scale of carnage I was able to hand out on the repeated runs.

Lack of versus multiplayer: Personally, I have found the multi-player versus modes tacked onto a lot of games of this nature to be at best a waste of time, and find myself wondering how much of the developer's time and resources was invested into the lacklustre versus play in, for example, Dead Space 2, when that effort could have been put into making the single player campaign even better. That said, the developers of Armageddon have provided a robust Horde-mode clone in Infestation, and the hours that I've put into it so far with some Xbox Live friends have been some pretty riotous fun, largely due to the destruction mechanics. It won't be something to keep going back and back to, but then, few multiplayer games manage to capture that magic, and some extra hours of entertainment add value to the overall game package.

And now for the complaint I find most mind-bendingly stupid: "The game ending is a plot hole because they could have fixed the terraformer earlier."

SPOILERS: No. It's not a plot hole, morons. Really. There are characters IN THE GAME who address this very concern. There is dialogue regarding the terraformer being easy to fix. There are hints dropped that the government is deliberately keeping people underground by choosing not to fix the terraformer. And there are collectible audio logs throughout the game that reveal the story behind the story. The story goes that scientists with the Ultor corporation explored underground, and found the buried creatures in stasis in sealed tunnels. Experiments on these creatures' DNA was the source of the Martian Plague from the earlier games. This discovery was kept classified in the secure Ultor files.

Adam Hale hacked into these files and extracted data about the alien creatures. He realised that control of the aliens was the key to his becoming the ruler of Mars. However, the creatures would remain in stasis while the Martian atmosphere was habitable for humans, so he used his cultists to destroy the terraformer, causing the aliens to awaken in their sealed tunnels.

The Martian government knew about the creatures all along, and elected to leave the terraformer disabled so that they could perform potentially valuable scientific research on them. However, Hale exploited this (and possibly influenced this policy, but the game does not specify this) by arranging for the awakened aliens to escape from their captivity (using Darius Mason to do this as a gesture of revenge upon the Mason family) and spread across Mars. Hale's knowledge of the creatures and ability to control them meant that he would be the ultimate power on the planet.

This information is in the game. Some of the detail needs to be dug for, slightly. But saying that the plot doesn't hang together is patently false.

Hope this was informative for some readers. IMO the game is highly worth playing and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves blowing stuff up in epic ways.

1. Sep 15, 2011
    Although Red Faction: Armageddon offers one of the coolest weapons of the year, a good weapon mechanic and destructible environments, the game falls flat with an uninspiring single-player campaign and a short-lived multiplayer segment.
  2. Aug 8, 2011
    It's a shame that these excellent physics and novel weapons haven't been given a better showcase. [Issue#112, p.112]
  3. Jul 25, 2011