7.7

1. Mar 29, 2012
    Here's the weird thing about RRU: At first try, you'll likely hate it. The difficulty level is higher at the outset than you'd expect from a racing game (expect to lose your first few races), and the controls are distinctly unforgiving -- until I started to get the hang of the game's drifting mechanic, which is far removed from Ridge Racers of yore, I was more likely to crash trying to turn a corner than not. Then I started to get the hang of it, then I started winning races, and suddenly a game I planned to trade in not one day after buying it has become a title I don't see myself parting with any time soon. A rank-advancement system that lets you keep the points you score in a given race even if you come in dead last (thus giving even the worst players a chance at eventually unlocking new cars which may better fit their play styles) went a long way in that regard. My only disappointment thus far is that, unless you got GameStop's special pre-order DLC pack with some Namco game-themed cars, there are *zero* nods to previous RR titles: even the cool car names (like 'Soldat Raggio' and 'Assoluto Fatalita') are gone. I can't wait to get into the multiplayer after I unlock some more content. Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2012
    Straight off the bat i cant praise the track editor enough its a fantastic set up and really user friendly although you need to complete the main game to get the most out of it buts its a great addition. I think the series was getting a little tired and theres so many other different racers out there that it needed to catch up and maybe borrow some of their features. I dont mind games that borrow or improve on other driving game features and i think ridge racer unbounded is finely tuned. It kinda comes off as a burnout / need for speed hybrid which isnt a bad thing at all. Fun single player, destructible environments and lots of speed. best ridge racer game in a while. Expand
  3. Mar 29, 2012
    This is one game that I wasn't expecting to enjoy as much as I do. For starters, remove the Ridge Racer from the game name. It's not needed and it's quite misleading. Let's just call it "Unbounded." Ok, now that that is straightened out, Unbounded is a pretty great game. You get a decent amount of cars to unlock, the levels are pretty unique and diverse, the music is great, and the controls are unique in a way (the cars are a little heavy at times) but not too unique to cause issues.
    The one gripe I have with the game, and it's really not even a gripe, is the difficulty. One mess up in this game and you can kiss first place goodbye and more than likely second and third place. But, don't lose hope, the devs give you a way around this. Every time you race and even if you lose, you get XP. XP opens up new cars. New cars perform better than older cars and that event you were just bombing is now bearable. Consider it racing xp grinding to a certain degree.
    The online component of the game is where you really see the difference against other games. As you level up and finish races, you'll open up land pieces. With this pieces, you can create your own races. The crazy races that people make will keep this game interesting for a while, no doubt.
    There is regular multiplayer available as well if that is your forte. All in all, the game is a solid racer. If you are a racing fan or just like arcadey racing games, you could do a lot worse. Check it out if you get the chance.
  4. Mar 28, 2012
    Finally! A new excellent Ridge Racer, after the 6 that be regular, this new title of the saga is amazing, is same like Burnout, but OMG is really awesome, the graphics, controls, music, gameplay, all. Ridge Racer Unbounded is a sorprise.
  5. Mar 30, 2012
    Single most satisfying arcade racer since Split Second. Some have said they dislike the music but you could always play your own tracks. Personally I love the music and even better you can change the tracks whilst in game on the fly. Quite a number of tracks too.
  6. Mar 30, 2012
    Non stop awesome. Over the top crashes, constant explosions. See that passenger train ? Bam! Drove right trough it. **** logic, exploding concrete everywhere. AI can be challenging, but damn every track is a exhilarating rollercoaster ride. Burnout x Split/Second x Ridge Racer combo. Congratz Bugbear, awesome game. Now if you would just add pedestrians for a carmageddon feel I've would have given it an 11. Expand
  7. Mar 29, 2012
    "Ridge Racer: Unbounded" is the 11th home console version of the Ridge Racer franchise, which is characterized by races with modern cars in various tracks, with a arcade-style gameplay. This time the franchise returns with several innovations, along the usual style of gameplay.

The game has the same essence of the other racing games in the series, ie, the various competing cars, racing
    dynamics, in urban settings, seeking the first place. The classic gameplay joined "innovations" that were inspired by other games, notably "Burnout" and "Blur".

The graphics are very good, and even at high speed have excellent and realistic detailing. All cars are modern and have a bold, new look - in the screen we have indicators of shortcuts and general information (laps remaining, etc.) appearing as if they were projected in the structures of scenarios, such as buildings, following the layout of them.

The music (mostly electronic) and sounds of the game are fast, well done and fuse with the game very well, as the sounds and sound effects of crashes, explosions, and snoring of the engines that get the mood in the fast gameplay of this game.

The emphasis of the title is on graphics and gameplay innovations: when you fill a power bar, you can press the A, which causes your car to protrude forward, destroying any car or structure in your path (the scenario part that can be destroyed is indicated before). The effects at the time of the destruction of the vehicles is done with slow motion in various angles, and generated at the moment, and shows in a movie-style sequence, the car exploding, fragmenting and rolling - the inspiration is clear, and was officially announced, in the Burnout series of games.

The same occurs in the destruction of scenarios, which is similar to Blur, where walls explode, and you go through the scenarios, gaining more bonus and getting shortcuts, which sometimes also show the same effects in slow-motion like the car crashes. The races feeling is the is the same as NFS: The Run, in a view that is focused on back of your car, with a closer view of the runway and urban settings, in a fast and frenetic gameplay.

The game still has a special mode with city editor, where you will make your race track, with a sequence of blocks in a grid: they may be uploaded online, with the goals set by you, provided they are consistent (you must complete a gameplay in your track to to be accepted).

In addition, the game has several modes Multiplayer Online, in the World Mode, where you can create challenges, as well as others Online Modes such as Domination, Survival, Frag and Drift Challenge.

Overall is a great racing game, arcade style, that mixes the effects of destruction of vehicles and scenes from other games, being a mixture of "Burnout", "NFS: The Run" and "Blur": nevertheless, the formula does not is innovative, bringing something new and exclusive to their own innovative franchise. Still, is a great and fast pacing racing / destruction game, that guarantee many hours of fun, offline and online, and the best version of the franchise in the Xbox 360. My score: 8.4 / 10.0.
  8. Mar 31, 2012
    Absolutley exhilarating! Fast, furious and total chaos at times, the music is fantastic and the graphics and effects are superb. It can occasionally be frustrating when the enemy AI is aggressive, but if you choose the right car you can usually avoid this - the cars with poor handling are easily knocked off course, and it pays to use a car with a little less speed/acceleration but better handling and strength! But brill game, if you liked NFS: Most Wanted then you'll like this: It doesn't have a massive amount in common in terms of gameplay mechanics but the rush from playing is similar. Don't hold back: buy this!! Expand
  9. Mar 31, 2012
    For fans of flatout it is a perfect game ! Game is well optimized , for fact that it has so awesome graphic. It isjust good and funy arcade. i would recomended to all flatout players :)
  10. Mar 31, 2012
    This game needs a difficulty level setting. Also only way to get enough "power" for speed and ability to destroy other cars is drifting. Should get more by hitting objects and cars like in Flatout series. Change can be good, but RRU did not go to that direction. Now the game is only good for hardcore gamers. With difficulty level settings, the game would be better for more people. A rewind possibility after a crash is welcome too. Well, maybe developers will make a patch if enough gamers will ask them. That has been seen it other games, that developers listen their fans. Lets see how this will go. Expand
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    cool game from BugBear, who dont like it just from cniha and loves anime boys
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    What to say about THIS??? It's AWESOME!!!
  13. Mar 30, 2012
    How to best explain this game? Let me preface it by saying if you're looking for a "Ridge Racer" title in the same style of the past games, you'll be disappointed. "Unbounded" plays Burnout Revenge only with destructible environments. The presentation is menu driven, like Burnout Revenge, but the menu feels like it was lifted, almost directly, from Blur (which is not a bad thing; in fact, I can't help but wonder if Bugbear managed to pilfer some of the ex-Bizarre Creations folks for Unbounded). ||| The premise of Unbounded is pretty simple: Win races by destroying your opponents, and earn points by causing collateral damage and destroying specific targets during the race. There are several types of races including Domination (the predominant "destruction" race), pure races where destruction power is replaced with boost, drift challenges where you try to rack up drift points in specific time periods, timed stunt challenges, and a mode where you use a big rig to wreck as many police cars as possible. ||| Unlike previous Ridge Racer titles, drifting in Unbounded follows a more typical arcade racer system where the player uses the handbrake to drift. The drift controls are much better and makes for a better gameplay feel, in my opinion. As XP is earned, the player unlocks more events and, more importantly, more parts for the track editor. ||| The coolness factor of the track editor simply cannot be understated. Being able to create your own tracks from the game equivalent of Lego pieces and then invite people to play on them (and watch the destruction unfold) is simply an amazing addition - and something I wish Criteron had done years ago with their Burnout franchise. ||| Admittedly, single player seems to be a little on the short side, but multiplayer and track creation gives the title amazing replay value. If you've missed the classic Burnout style of gameplay, you won't go wrong with this title. Expand
  14. Apr 25, 2012
    Loving this game! Never played previous Ridge Racer Games so I can't compare. I find myself going back to this game a couple of times a day. I think the driving aspect mechanic itself is awesome! Cars are completely controllable. I wish same mechanic was used in The Run. 2 types of multiplayer: race against other players live and then seperate SSX style where u race in events just to beat high score ( 1, 6, & 24 hr. events). Track Editor is insane, endless possibilities! Wish they had demo so people could try it out bc this game is going under the radar. There is no online code needed so u can pick it up used and it's like having tons of free DLC thrown at u every day! Very happy I pre-ordered and have no regrets on paying full price. I already put a lot more time into Unbounded than Split Second. The game is just fun and addictive! Expand
  15. Apr 8, 2012
    This game is an excellent arcade racer. It's a cross between burnout and split second. This game takes the best elements from both those games and combines them. The power sliding takes some getting used to. The game looks great, graphically. Not too many people play online. The track editor is pretty good, too. The game does suffer from rubber band AI. Get a lead and the AI will catch up.
  16. Apr 28, 2012
    Some reviewers are saying this ain't a Ridge Racer game - I disagree - to me the key element of a Ridge Racer game was the drifting - which is the key dynamic of this game. OK so it's been brought up to date with nitro (earned by drifting) and destruction of the environment etc Also some reviewers are saying how hard drifting is - I took to it quite quickly. If you prefer arcade racers like Split Second and Blur rather than realistic games like Forza - give it a go. I picked it up for £25 which is a bargain.

The game is quite hard - most games let you win the first few races - not this one - took me a few goes to win the first race - but that's part of the games charm. You know if you lose it's down to your skill level.
  17. Apr 15, 2012
    With this game containing both Ridge Racer and Burnout flavours, and coded by Bugbear, the team behind the wonderful Flatout Ultimate Carnage, I knew I just had to play it. And yet, whilst I'm enjoying it greatly there are a handful of annoyances.

The game feels like a continuation of Burnout Eliminator (before Paradise), and its almost like a 'missing link; in the Burnout series. The
    campaign is hugely enjoyable, with a brilliantly vicious and intelligent AI goading you at every turn. The implementation of the extra features is well-done too, keeping them easy to learn, yet hard to master. There are also a wealth of different race-types to participate in, many of them focused on the destruction, and providing a welcome breather from the racer.

The controls are slightly loose in their execution, but it seems they're deliberately designed this way; its up to you to find the 'sweet spot' when chaining moves, and adapting your execution of the controls to the cars individual traits.

The online is enjoyable, with races being the same 'free-for'all' that they are in campaign mode, and last, but by no means least, there is an extremely well-implemented track editor, that lets you put together some amazing tracks, in little to no time at all. The graphics are beautifully chaotic, with lots going on and no frame rate loss, and the sounds of the different cars is very satisfying - pick up a new car, and you'll know about it!!

Yet.whilst I've made this sound like the racing game that everyone should buy now, there are those annoyances. For starters, the front-end to the player is extremely lacking. A voiced-over video welcomes you, and then that's it; no tutorial, nothing, just get on with it - at this point a lot of people will be put-off with the 'brick wall' difficulty that the game throws-up, and coupled with the lack of anything of a statement of progression, will trade or return the game, (some will state in defence that its the game almost being 'hardcore' and making you just play it and learn, but I feel there's no excuse). Also, in many loading screens, there's a mysterious female character displayed, but we never meet her - am I being tenuous or pedantic here? Or is she merely 'window dressing'?

Also, there isn't the ability to play your own music tracks in-game, you have to stick with what they offer you (and of which isn't really to my taste quite honestly). yes, you can play the music over the top (via your own method, or the 360 with the music player), but it would have been a nice option.

Thankfully, for those who progress, and enjoy the action, they'll find what the game offers; slick, superb, fast, deceptively deep reaction-based gaming. This isn't a racing game for the fey, or casual of choice - this is nails-hard, and its rewarding for sure, but only if you put the effort in. The track editor adds so much to the game, which coupled with the online, can only mean that for those who persist, will find something far beyond most other racers at this time.

Overall then, its a wonderfully tough ride, and really really playable, but the lack of front end, coupled with the initial 'brick wall' start, may well put a lot of people off. But still, despite its flaws, its very enjoyable, and recommended.
  18. May 28, 2014
    Underated piece of fun! Making a crazy city is fun but there seems to be a lack of players. People should buy this game and play on there friends tracks! the drifting is abit challenging but still fun. If you want to drive on insane, destuctive tracks, get this game!
  19. Mar 29, 2012

1. May 18, 2012
    Racing with an old flair, yet creating with a new one, Ridge Racer fans will find a lot to love here.
  2. May 16, 2012
    Falling somewhere between a traditional Ridge Racer title and a Burnout game, Unbounded fails to fully succeed at recreating either experience, ending up in between the two racing franchises in terms of quality.
  3. May 14, 2012
    An intense and addictive adrenaline rush, a high-speed power fantasy that will make you feel like Jesus on Wheels - when it works. When it doesn't, which is a lot, races tend to reduce to exercises in tedium and frustration. [June 2012, p.73]