Silent Hill: Downpour Xbox 360

7.3

1. Apr 5, 2014
    silent hill is a good game . expect one thing the missions are confusing and hard to get . i will not play this game . Grade B ......................................
  2. Mar 21, 2012
    Uff, difficult, this new title of the silent hill saga is one of the worst titles of Silent, and what is the principal problem?, is like a copy of the amazing Alan Wake, is not fresh, is boring, have good ideas, but is zzz... Silent Hill Downpour can be better.
  3. May 27, 2012
    I like the new direction they went with this game. The open world structure is what ive always wanted in this game. the beg. to middle of the game was really cool. It ended a bit too quickly, the ending was wtf. My fav. silent hill game, but still could improve a lot
  4. Oct 1, 2012
    Silent Hill: Downpour is a good game that is fun and enjoyable to play, but it is ruined by it's tedious combat scenes, it's occasional clunky controls and it's not-so-fantastic voice acting. Even though I have not fully completed the game, Silent Hill: Downpour is creepy and fun to play but could have been much better.
  5. Apr 8, 2012
    It's better than SH:Homecoming,but that's not saying much.Despite some occasionally decent looking graphics,this game is total rubbish.Insipid puzzles,dull story,terrible combat against some of the worst designed enemies I've ever seen,and truly pathetic attempts at scares all combined to almost bore me to tears.The HD collection with it's decade old games put this one to shame.FaceIt's better than SH:Homecoming,but that's not saying much.Despite some occasionally decent looking graphics,this game is total rubbish.Insipid puzzles,dull story,terrible combat against some of the worst designed enemies I've ever seen,and truly pathetic attempts at scares all combined to almost bore me to tears.The HD collection with it's decade old games put this one to shame.Face it,Survival Horror as we once knew it is long dead. Expand
  6. Mar 13, 2012
    "Silent Hill: Downpur" is the 8th incarnation of the game franchise, this time it focus is on the "natural" scenery, and with rain in place of the well known radio static sound. You're playing as a convict who, during a prison transfer, has an bus accident and ends up falling in Silent Hill during your escape.

The game's graphics are very good: in some parts, and especially some textures,

The game's graphics are very good: in some parts, and especially some textures, it misses some specific detail or better final polishing (as in the background animations, or the fire in the lighter), and lack some interactivity with the environment elements, such as trees, which are static, and do not move when you touch them. But the general work in the scenarios are really a very good job: all of the game's environment are detailed and you can enter in most of the structures that exist, with a wide number of hidden collectibles and objects in them (in the Hard difficulty you not to see them soo easily: many objects end up unnoticed).

The overall ambiance of the game, between the mists, darkness and rain is quite sinister and oppressive ... the game is above the level of the previous games in the series (recent ones), in that respect. Regarding the enemies, there is no news or something memorable in their design.

The soundtrack, sound effects and voice acting is perfect for the style of play, and that's a thing that the Silent Hill series has always excelled, and with this game, this is no exception.

The gameplay involves much exploration (with scenarios and large or complex environments, which require some care to not lose yourself), with some segments of fighting (or escaping - that depends on how you want to play), Puzzles (very smart ones in this version of the game ) and some other parts of faster action - meaning escaping (when you enter occasionally the "Otherworld" of Silent Hill, fleeing the "Void").

The combat has the classic scheme of the other games, and when you are injured, your clothes will become bloody, and your attitudes show the physical weakness you feel. A variety of objects can be used as weapons (for melee ou throwing), but all of them are subject to wear off by use.

The game also has a screen of statistics, with many interesting facts about what you did or not in the game, like mysteries, distance walked, sidequests done, etc..

My criticism: I thought the combat it's a little clumsy: it is a little impractical to fight enemies, even with the simplified layout of controls, but they can be avoided most of the time (there is an achievement to finish the game without killing enemies). The "Downpour" in the title refers to the rain, which measures the degree of aggressiveness and the presence of enemies around, entering in the the place of the classic radio static sound.

The same flaw applies to the character's movement: I wanted to see at this point (2012), instead of the classic movement style of the franchise, a well developed and more natural or fluid type of movement in general... yes, this would be an evolution in the game franchise.

A specific critique, on the Xbox 360 (I do not consider this for my score): playing by DVD and USB flash memory drive, the game has a lot of lags - I recommend you to install the game in the Hard Drive.

Overall, the game retains its essence, is a Silent Hill, our classic game of horror and psychological suspense, in this version with more exploration in the game, but with action and clever puzzles segments in the gameplay - it have some problems, like the movements (of the character and combat) and in some specific graphic features, but is great graphically in the environments and in the general "mood". With some extra work the game would be a lot better.

For anyone who is a fan of the series and likes games with this particular style, it's recommended: my score is 7,3 .
  7. May 9, 2013
    I was like in high school when silent hill 2 came out. I tried to play the game but felt too depressed and suffocated which made me realize this type of game is not my cup of tea, so I gave it up. Almost 10 years later, I became quite dark and can take all kinks of depressed so I give this game a try. The gameplay is old-school fashion, which felt too slow and clumpy at the beginning, butI was like in high school when silent hill 2 came out. I tried to play the game but felt too depressed and suffocated which made me realize this type of game is not my cup of tea, so I gave it up. Almost 10 years later, I became quite dark and can take all kinks of depressed so I give this game a try. The gameplay is old-school fashion, which felt too slow and clumpy at the beginning, but you will get to it. I only felt uneasy at the first 2 hours, but overall this game is not that scary, but enough to give you a silent hill experience. My only complain is that the game feels too short. Expand
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    Some gameplay elements are taken from the previous few instalments. Most notably is from Silent Hill Homecoming, and a few things from Silent Hill Shattered Memories, such as the over the shoulder chase scenes that were common in memories. It also brings back a few cool things, like the loved classic fixed camera angle. The graphics are by far the best in the series at this time. Sure,Some gameplay elements are taken from the previous few instalments. Most notably is from Silent Hill Homecoming, and a few things from Silent Hill Shattered Memories, such as the over the shoulder chase scenes that were common in memories. It also brings back a few cool things, like the loved classic fixed camera angle. The graphics are by far the best in the series at this time. Sure, visual effects suck big ones, but still, its got some great graphics...The sounds are sometimes creepy, voice acting is very well done, and gunshots sound realistic. But monster sounds and the soundtrack is horrible. Kinda sad that akira could not provide his music this time... and they only allowed mary to do 1 track... hmm... and korn sucks big ones... i did not like the soundtrack.Some of the story is boring at first, but really, starts getting interesting later. Its also kinda sad when you uncover things about murphys deceased little boy... And depending on the end, its nice to see Anne and Murphy become friends.This is a very good change from the previous disappointing titles we got in the series, (Origins, Shattered Memories and Homecoming...), and the story is by far on par with Silent Hill 2 and 3. Expand
  9. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Character models don’t look that great, the environments/atmosphere I thought was great and felt like a Silent Hill game. The creatures looked okay but in no way were they Silent Hill creatures. 8.5.
    Sound: It felt like Silent Hill, creepy, nice themes, annoying creatures. 10.
    Sound: It felt like Silent Hill, creepy, nice themes, annoying creatures. 10.
    Gameplay: The combat sucks it’s completely retarded and it just doesn’t work well. You get mobbed up with enemies and your only choice is to run. The gun mechanics are also terrible, and sometimes you shoot a creature and there’s no hit detection. Exploring and puzzles are the only gameplay aspects that work in this title. 6.5.
    Story: The story is decent but the way it’s told or the direction it plays out is absolutely terrible. There are scenes where you end up falling through a long hole and the scene skips where your fine. It would be okay to do this once, but it is done multiple times. A scene where you’re attacked along with the 2 others in the same room was by far the worst cut scene I have ever witnessed in a Silent Hill game. The overall execution of the story depends on the dull choices you make throughout the game, as well as how many side missions you complete (if I remember correctly). No thought put into the boss battles, and the chasing black hole is what I consider laziness by the developers. 5.5.
    Lasting Appeal: This is a disgrace to all the other Silent Hill games, but it can still be enjoyed. I would only recommend it as a rental. 6.0.
    Overall Score: 7.3 out of 10.
  10. Jun 27, 2012
    What I consider to be the best in the series since the original trilogy. It may not be perfect and leaves a lot to be desired in some areas, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Instead of focusing all on one type of gameplay, this one gathers all the best aspects of each game and works them in harmony with each other, the result in my opinion is a fun and well balanced game.What I consider to be the best in the series since the original trilogy. It may not be perfect and leaves a lot to be desired in some areas, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. Instead of focusing all on one type of gameplay, this one gathers all the best aspects of each game and works them in harmony with each other, the result in my opinion is a fun and well balanced game. not only does it take gameplay mechanics from each of the earlier games, it improves on them as well. The controls and combat system are like origins but much less annoying and more responsive... plus you can't carry 40 TVs in your pocket. The otherworld and chase sequences are much more intense and effective than in shattered memories. The story is great, although I felt some of the characters don't appear enough. The monsters, while they are symbolic, for the most part are kind of lame and generic, unfortunately. The graphics are awesome, exploration is fun and well thought out, the addition of sidequests is nice and they never break you from the overall mood, except for maybe one of them. I really enjoyed this game and hope they take notes from it for the next game. It's still pretty far from the nature of the originals, but this one hits the closest in comparison to the others since 4. Expand
  11. Mar 13, 2012
    Great game.. I think its the best one in the series since Silent hill 2,3 , the graphics are kinda good, combat is OK , and the game is scaries than Dead Space. and while the game have some technial issues/bug, i still think its an amazing game.

PS: i had to give this game a perfect 10 to counter all those trolls one the forums that said they will rate this game 0 , my real score is 8/10
  12. Apr 26, 2012
    Outstanding!
    There are changes from the original 3 silent hill games, (1&2 being better then 3) but I love the new ideas. The combat feels right for a silent hill game and hasn't gone down the boring route of every other game on the market today.
    The opening door feature doesn't sound like much but it adds to the "what's waiting for me round the corner" feel. The weapon pick up feels great
    Outstanding!
    The weapon pick up feels great as there is not a limit or pre-written idea of what you will use.
    Not completed it yet and have heard there is no pyramid head which is a small let down however the game is defiantly outweighing the very minor "let downs" of being a fan of the series.
    That may sound bad but trust me, this game is very good.
    To sum it up, it's probably the first game since metal gear solid 4 and Gta 4 that I feel has been worth the money.
    And appart from silent hill 2 as that was on the ps2, I defiantly feel like this has been the best survival horror game since resident evil 3 nemesis!
    Only wish capcom took a page out of this book and continued the series for fans and not becoming action sell-outs.
    Despite the fog, there's fog but not as heavy as the ps2/ps1 editions, and pyramid head this game is still making me want to play more.
    The graphics I think are excellent, and most of all this game revolves around an entertaining story, meaning you want to play to find out what happens which I havent had that feel since final fantasy 10 (when square soft made good games).

Honestly outstanding game, and great effort!
    If metal gear solid 3 was not remade in HD then this would be my happiest buy of the year with regards to gaming, and one of the fewest games since 2005 I don't instantly have the thought of trading in.

Please make another. :)
  13. Apr 18, 2012
    Silent Hill:Downpour was a a let down for me nothing about this game stands out this installment of Silent Hill is a very big let down and is for me one of the worst games this year.
  14. Apr 11, 2013
    Spent some time playing Silent Hill Downpour this morning and realized that the developer of the game must truly be insane. Good game if you are into some spooky situations and what appears to be an insanity induced storyline. To be sure there are some startling moments that will keep you on the edge of your seat. I guess this is my way of saying that the game is worth playing.
  15. Mar 29, 2012
    It's not as good as the original Team Silent games nor as good as Shattered Memories, but it's a masterpiece compared to Homecoming. My only real issue was the monster design, which I felt was lazy (except for The Wheelman). The sidequests were often times misleading, as they sometimes could be confused for parts of the main quest. There are lots of glitches, but those weren't a huge issueIt's not as good as the original Team Silent games nor as good as Shattered Memories, but it's a masterpiece compared to Homecoming. My only real issue was the monster design, which I felt was lazy (except for The Wheelman). The sidequests were often times misleading, as they sometimes could be confused for parts of the main quest. There are lots of glitches, but those weren't a huge issue nor were they crippling towards the gameplay. The scenery design is by far the most impressive out of any Silent Hill game - the streets, especially, are picture perfect. The story wasn't all that bad either, it didn't live up to Silent Hill 1-4's stories, but at least it kept a great psychological aspect to heart - however, the 'demon patrol cars' were a bit over the top and unnecessary. The game itself is reasonably short if you follow the main quest and avoid getting lost (which is easy to do in this most expansive Silent Hill world). The combat controls are a little difficult at first, but become reasonable after a little practice - not to mention the game can be completed without killing a single enemy (except for the bosses of course). The Otherworld sequences are probably some of the most amazing and intense out of any Silent Hill, though a certain lovable eerie feeling from previous games isn't a constant sensation - though it does offer chills and some decent frights. The new composer does the series well, though he will never replace Akira Yamaoka's great, eerie style. The town is given a certain understandable persona in this game that expands beyond the will of Alessa, which I liked, but I felt that a little too much was explained when it came to theories. As real as the town's design was, it didn't feel entirely like the Silent Hill I know and love. This part of Silent Hill felt a little further out of the grasp of the true terror, as glimmers of hope and sunshine are occasionally seen (which is never seen in any other Silent Hill). Trees grow strong and a lot of greenery isn't dead - while most of it is in previous Silent Hill games that take place on the other side of the town. I would recommend this game only to fans of the Silent Hill series, as it requires a certain patience that true fans are used to. The puzzles require thought and time, and even a physical piece of paper in order to recall certain numbers and combinations. One great thing about this game, is that I have a feeling that new mysteries will be discovered for years to come - and it takes a good game to pull something like that off. Expand
  16. Jul 24, 2014
    This game could of been a lot better. The combat was a complete down grade from Silent hill homecoming, the puzzle seemed impossible to get passed, the visuals were buggy, and the enemies were overpowering. I enjoyed the story, but that's about it. The gameplay and the replay value is bad however.
  17. Mar 13, 2012
    Awesome game.. While its not as good as old Silent hill games its a step in the right direction, and btw that is not my real score i only give it 10 because some people on the forums are saying they will rate this game 0 to lower its user score, i gave it a 8.5/10
  18. Feb 17, 2015
    Although having several issues with frame rate, freezing and clunky combat it is very easy to look over them and get drawn into the great and eerie story which is the first in a long time for the Silent Hill franchise.
  19. Jun 7, 2013
    A thriller that makes you think about the story. It's intelligent and evolving. It's mysterious and mixes moments of thoughts with moments of action. It is what it is. It's not SH, SH2 or SH3. It's Downpour. It's the future of Silent Hill. Hope you get on board of this.

This the first time a Silent Hill game has side missions, and it works great! It doesn't obey you to do something you don't want to do at a time. It sets you free to explore the city. While some of these side missions are great and clever (like the Cinema quest and the Gramophone one), some of them are just dull, like the bank quest that is worth the time because it's interesting to explore a new scenario. Just like the man with the missing heart.

It doesn't send you tons of tough monsters all the time (like Homecoming), keeping you from enjoying the game and story. It flows as well as an excellent game would. There's no lack of supplies, something that could "suffocate" the player.

This is entertaining and playing it is like watching a movie. You know why? Because it's got a great story. The ending is up to your decisions throughout the journey. Get on board, you too!
  20. Jun 6, 2012
    The appeal to this silent hill title is the engrossing story which should be experienced once by any silent hill fan but there are many issues with this title. The bugs in this game for me included auto saves not saving, enemy's slipping through walls (had to restart "the bank" side story 4 times) and things just not working ("mirror mirror" side quest would not "complete" even with use ofThe appeal to this silent hill title is the engrossing story which should be experienced once by any silent hill fan but there are many issues with this title. The bugs in this game for me included auto saves not saving, enemy's slipping through walls (had to restart "the bank" side story 4 times) and things just not working ("mirror mirror" side quest would not "complete" even with use of guides). The enemy's were disappointing and really weren't varied(5 types excluding crate monsters and "the void"), and combat was clunky leading me to button mash to victory. I honestly prefer SH:homecoming too this game which surprises even me, this should only be played by silent hill fans exclusively. With this I've played every current title made available in North America, I still enjoy silent hill 1 the most if you can deal with ps1 graphics this game is a real treat, otherwise play through Silent hill 2 my second favourite well worth your time. Expand
  21. Mar 13, 2012
    An attempt at silent hill gone wrong... again! Im gonna keep it simple, and just point out the flaws without mumbojumbo. This title has massive framerate drops, lags, and total lockups. (it is NOT my system. This is the ONLY game that does it on there.). The games animations are very amateur. You try to hit an enemy, and the weapon wont usually touch them and the character walks off on hisAn attempt at silent hill gone wrong... again! Im gonna keep it simple, and just point out the flaws without mumbojumbo. This title has massive framerate drops, lags, and total lockups. (it is NOT my system. This is the ONLY game that does it on there.). The games animations are very amateur. You try to hit an enemy, and the weapon wont usually touch them and the character walks off on his own while in combat. Next, the graphics. The graphics and models are pretty good, however visuals are sub par to a 2006 PS2 game. They were rushed. Monster design is horrible as well. The monsters are all similar looking to humans. Areas are very frustrating to navigate due to the choice of camera angle. The game is not at all scary, and its a very predictable game. I was very exited seeing Rely On Horrors downpour playthrough, and buying it i was happy. However only 5 mins into it after the starting scene, the game already started glitching out. I started having framerate drops and it even crashed on one of the roads for no reason. My friend on his system is having the very same issue. Im NOT saying this game is terrible, but it is not good either. Im mixed on the decision, so im giving it a 4/10. I will change my review IF they release a future patch to fix so many peoples issues. All the critics have rated it mixed or negative, and these fanboy silent hill downpour freaks keep rating the game all up. There insane. Read reviews from trusted critics like IGN, the games not terrible or good. A patch to fix the SEVERAL framerate drops, crashes, awkward pauses in voice overs, animation problems, etc... i will change my score. Until then, im taking it back to walmart, since walmart now refunds games in my state. Konami, do what others are saying and listen to us. Develop "in house" and stop getting these other amature developers to screw us over like usual. I have not seen a good silent hill at all since 3. 4 was ok, Origins was a massive low end graphics lagathon disaster, homecoming had a good premise but fell short of good, shattard memories was horrible,and this cuts the cake. Im worried now... im sure PSvitas SH BOM will not succeed as said before. Im still gonna try the demo on my vita... provided there is a demo. (if theres no demo, im not getting it). So guys, be warned when buying this game you will run into several issues. The story is very good though, and a true silent hill fan should totally check it out at least. Expand
  22. Mar 21, 2014
    What may generally be seen as a potential downfall to the Silent Hill series may also be considered a resurrection and a reprieve from all the previous Silent Hill BS that hardcore fans of the series will argue they have been fed for a long time now.

Whilst many may not enjoy Silent Hill Downpour, it is a pretty solid game, and definitely has it's roots in the original games, even if just a little. The transition to the other world has it's charms, and the hellish place itself is well designed and more than a little disturbing. The story itself is relatively strong, with an unexpected (yet, some may argue, cliche) plot twist.

The gameplay is a lot more like survival horror than Silent Hill Homecoming, the closest Silent Hill game I can relate this one to. Weapons can at times be overpowered, and medkits are practically thrown at you, but it has a little bit of challenge that doesn't seem to be achieved in survival horror any more. The incredibly counter intuitive concept of having to check your health via the pause screen, however, is simply ridiculous.

Overall, this game seems to be what fans of the series deserve, even if it isn't quite what they fully want. Strong story, relatively strong, if a little dull, characters, disturbing atmosphere, though pretty poor enemy design and slightly repetitive mechanics. It works, but it's far from perfect.
  23. Jun 2, 2012
    I think I am one of the few people who actually liked this game. Vatra did a really god job capturing the core of a silent hill experience and delivered an oustanding result.
    In this game you are Murphy Pendleton, a prisoner who gets the chance of getting his freedom by escaping through silent hill, in a journey in which he will face his inner demons. The game has a wide variety of environments, each one of them extremely detailed and creepy. You wiill expplore both the inside of buildings and the "open world" of silent Hill. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out where to go, but that's because we are now used to follow the x on the map without using our brain. Places feel like places and not corridors with scripted events.The bad side of this is that occasionally, I repeat OCCASIONALLY the games freezes a bit during saving or during fightings in outdoor. Lag appears occasionally and you won't notice it after a while. Speaking of combat, it feels very physical, you can use a gun or a melee weapon. You can equip a single melee weapon at a time, and they're breakable too. Weapons are used also to destroy walls or to climb to higher floors,. Fighting can be difficult at first but then you'll get used to the controls. What I felt was a reminder of the ps2 era are the puzzles, finally I have to solve riddles, paying attention to notes, use my brain instead of shooting everything that moves. In the end this game is highly reccomended, a true masterpiece in the survival horror genre and one of my new favourite games this generation. Buy it and don't mind the haters! This is a true silent hill game with all the scares, twisted plot, action and otherworldy riddles!
  24. Jul 17, 2012
    Great game, i just loved the addition of secondaries objectives, all of them are great to solve and adds a lot to the length and fun of this game. Murphy for me its a great character you really feel his emotions. Im a fan of silent hill games and after the deception caused by Homecoming this game is a wonderful surprise, silent hill is back people!!!
  25. Mar 14, 2012
    The Downpour review you have been looking for. I have yet to finish the game so this review will be continued at a later time regardless if I think it is bad or good. I still felt I needed to jump in here because some of the review here are terrible, this poor game is getting wounded by both the good and bad reviews. So, first off let me get who I am as a Silent Hill player out of the wayThe Downpour review you have been looking for. I have yet to finish the game so this review will be continued at a later time regardless if I think it is bad or good. I still felt I needed to jump in here because some of the review here are terrible, this poor game is getting wounded by both the good and bad reviews. So, first off let me get who I am as a Silent Hill player out of the way first. I have been playing Silent Hill since the original, I was there in 1999 when the game was first shown in gaming magazines and got a hold of the game instantly on release. I fell in love, and that love would grow through part 2,3, and even 4. Today I am the biggest Silent Hill fan I know, I study it, I am inspired by it, I barely go five minutes without it entering my mind. I am a creative type and everything I create connects to my inspiration of that foggy town in some way or another. I find Silent Hill 2 to be the greatest achievement in gaming even today. The game is so deep, poetic and complex that even some of its biggest fans arent even aware. The game manages to be so tightly paced, atmospheric and symbolic that one can easily miss it and view it as a boogeyman game, it is more than I think a game ever meant to be. The movie is horrible, Homecoming is a mess, Shattered Memories is good on its own merits as well as misunderstood, and Origins is decent. Now, Downpour. I have yet to finish like I said, and I am playing at the pace of a limping snail, simply to live in the wonderful town as long as I can. I am playing on normal difficulty with Puzzles set to hard. Thus far, the game is not a disappointment, and even more so is quite good. Coming from me that is remarkable, I am a hard ass critic and even more so when it comes to Silent Hill. I watch each installment close and judge it to death with every step and syllable of dialogue. Silent Hill 2 this is not, nor is it 1,3, and honestly so far not 4. But to be runner up to those titles...that is a huge accomplishment. Vatra worked hard on this and it shows. Creating a Silent Hill game is not like creating a Resident Evil game, with Silent Hill you have to bring new ideas to the table all the while throwing love to the fans and at the exact same time never ever crossing the line of too much or things that dont make sense (Pyramid Head). Downpour, thus far, has gotten this right. Its pace and atmosphere are delivering all while being a new experience in the series. It is eerie when played correctly and slow, its anthology pays a lot of respect to other Silent Hills even including comic book series (and the better comics to boot). It IS NOT perfect, no sir, but it is also not nearly as flawed as others are saying. I have had very little lag or texture problems but I do know they are there, it is true. The graphics while good are disappointing by Silent Hill standards. I use to dream of what it would one day look like on Ps3 and well, Downpour is not it, but it still is a good looking game. Now to the combat, this is important, very important. The Combat IS JUST FINE. True, I mean that. It is stiff yes, odd at times yes, difficult, and can leave you wishing you had just ran. Guess what? All intentional, all effective. It is survival horror in all its beauty. I know this 2012, I know this is the modern gaming generation but who cares? The modern generation feeds us Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, and Left 4 Dead. Now dont get me wrong, Dead Space is great and even scary but it is not Survival Horror. It is just a scary action game. Honestly only three games in recent years qualify as Survival Horror in true form. They are Siren: Blood Curse, Amnesia, and now Downpour. It is true Survival Horror where flight always wins over fight. Murphy screams "get away from me!" in pure fear at times when running from the most ordinary of Downpours foes. This is Survival Horror, and if you dont understand that or cant except it then maybe this game is not for you. Picture swinging a pick axe at something the size of your garage door in your face, you would swing like a little girl, much like Murphy. Downpour will have trouble keeping up amongst its modern horror peers which is sad because it honestly outdoes nearly all of them. Please keep an eye out, if you wish, for my follow up as soon as I complete the game and give my more direct review, it should also be far shorter. If you are reading this line I thank you very kindly. Here is to hoping the rest of Downpour is as good as its early stages are. Currently 8 or so out of 10. Expand
  26. Mar 19, 2012
    I have been a huge fan of the series since Silent HIll 2 and I havent given up yet, even though there were a few missteps in the series as of late. Silent HIll Downpour is a welcome addition to the series and is a great step toward revitalizing Silent HIll. I was initially put off by the mixed reviews, some favorable, some not so much. I usually go by IGN standards, but I really feel theyI have been a huge fan of the series since Silent HIll 2 and I havent given up yet, even though there were a few missteps in the series as of late. Silent HIll Downpour is a welcome addition to the series and is a great step toward revitalizing Silent HIll. I was initially put off by the mixed reviews, some favorable, some not so much. I usually go by IGN standards, but I really feel they dropped the ball on this one. Not to say I dont have some issues with the game, as there are a few. I will start with those to get them out of the way. A: the combat is a bit frustrating at times. Yes, it adds to some of the general tenseness, but at times it had me gritting my teeth. B: Not as much a complaint as a request, the moral choices should have been more involved. I wont ruin anything, but I feel there could have been a bit more to it. And really, those are my biggest problems with downpour. Now, the positives. One thing I have to say I enjoyed, was the voice acting for Murphy. Awesome. From his frightened screams to his comments, it seemed as though Murphy's tone and responses were natural and convincing. A few times the voice acting was shaky at best, but overall great. (side-note: Daniel Licht, who creates the soundtrack for Dexter as well, fits in nicely to the SH atmosphere. I hope he continues to work on the series musically). Also, I really loved the dynamic town. From side-quests to general exploration, as a HUGE silent hill fan I really enjoyed strolling the town, dodging otherworld patrol cruisers. Speaking of which, the otherworld is back and as twisted as ever. Including some dizzying moments and chase scenes that really create a sense of tension. All of this supported by some great visual effects and good graphics, notably most of the water-effects. But of curse, all of this is for not without a good plot, and I feel Murphy's journey has been the most engaging since James Sunderlands. I cant tell you how much I enjoyed the switch from town lore back to letting the town do what it does best: serving as ones personal hell. I feel the writers really encapsulated the roots of SH2 and what made it so engaging. It is not as great as the Sunderland love story, but it is definitely one of my favorite storylines, as I was growing tale with the towns cult storylines. Overall, aside from the few issues mentioned above, Downpour is great and a worthyaddition to any Silent Hill lovers collection. From the well told story, to the great story elements, to the towns atmosphere I would recommend this whole-heartedly. I would give it a solid 8 or 9 out of 10 for anyone willing to play it, but personally, as a HUGE fan to the SH universe, I give it a 10 for renewing my love of the series after a few lackluster installments. Expand
  27. Mar 8, 2013
    En el 2012 hecho por vatra games, salio Silent hill downpour. Bueno este no es ni el peor silent hill ni el mejor pero es superior a Homecoming PARA MI. Bueno la historia no es mejor que la de Homecoming pero se mantiene a un buen nivel, los gráficos no son tan superiores creo que tienen un detalle mínimo pero no hay mucha diferencia. La jugabilidad tampoco, no hace mucha diferencia peroEn el 2012 hecho por vatra games, salio Silent hill downpour. Bueno este no es ni el peor silent hill ni el mejor pero es superior a Homecoming PARA MI. Bueno la historia no es mejor que la de Homecoming pero se mantiene a un buen nivel, los gráficos no son tan superiores creo que tienen un detalle mínimo pero no hay mucha diferencia. La jugabilidad tampoco, no hace mucha diferencia pero a mi me gusto un poquito mas. ¿Tiene terror?¿ da miedo? Si al menos a mi me asustaba cuando tenía que ir por los lugares oscuros y escuchaba bichos o ruidos que me hacían estar atento a que si algo me venía a atacar. Lo mejor de este SH son las misiones secundarías ya que en fin la historia principal tampoco es larga así que gracias a las 21(rondeando) misiones S. te podes entretener un rato y de paso asustarte un rato mas, la niebla también esta presente aunque no podes andar tan tranquilo por ahí paseando porque hay un coche de policía que te tenes que escapar por que si se te acerca aparecen como 6 bichos y te hacen cagar lo mejor es escapar e.e. Lo malo de este juego es repito su corta historia algunos bugs realmente molestos, el sistema de combate es medio tosco(a pesar de que es un poquito superior a homecoming no es algo que haya que poner como lo bueno). Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    Silent Hill Downpour is a good start to revitalizing the series. Silent hill has always been one of my favorite survival horror games of all time and it definitely still has an impact on the way I approach survival horror games. Silent hill downpour has a great story, atmosphere, and the unreal engine graphics look great. The story starts off a bit slow but, when you get into the secondSilent Hill Downpour is a good start to revitalizing the series. Silent hill has always been one of my favorite survival horror games of all time and it definitely still has an impact on the way I approach survival horror games. Silent hill downpour has a great story, atmosphere, and the unreal engine graphics look great. The story starts off a bit slow but, when you get into the second half of the game it starts to make more sense. The game play is what you would expect from a silent hill game but, with more of an emphasis on exploration than combat. The games atmosphere is perfect and is the most comparable title in the series to come close to silent hill 2. The city is basically a character in the game and really comes alive and sucks you into the whole experience, it's really addicting. The graphics are great, the fog, creepy locations, and weird characters all make a return in this game. Combat can be a little clunky at times but, the silent hill games never were about smooth combat, it's supposed to feel clunky and old school. Puzzles in the game were varied and felt well placed within the story except for one towards the end of the game. Silent hill downpour is a great game that silent hill fans should have a blast with and Vatra games really deserves credit for bringing silent hill back to it's roots. Expand
  29. Mar 15, 2012
    I found SH: Downpour a great experience, refreshing the saga with a cool story and a character different from previous one.
    I love the music and atmosphere and perhaps have those clumsy graphics but is beareable having so many good points and the main one: is scary as previous ones.

9 is a good number for a Rainy SH
  30. Mar 7, 2014
    Silent Hill: downpour shows that there's still some gas in the tank, but it might be a little too diluted and not firing on all cylinders.

PROS: Great atmosphere throughout, Interesting story that shows the potential of tying seemingly random incidences to Silent Hill, Creepy sounds and music, some multiple endings that fit well. CONS: Lackluster combat, frequent frame-rate drops,

CONS: Lackluster combat, frequent frame-rate drops, frequent and long loading screens, some unimaginative creature designs, some pointless characters, some multiple endings that do not fit well.

If you're a fan of Silent Hill, then this game is more than enough to satisfy. However, if you're looking for some straight up horror, there are better options out there. 6/10

1. Jun 15, 2012
    Silent Hill fans desperate to find any good left in the series will be relieved to know that Silent Hill: Downpour is a step up from 2008's forgettable Homecoming, but Konami seems to be trapped in some horrifying nightmare of its own design.
  2. May 15, 2012
    Developer Vatra clearly has a fondness for the material and they've tried to address some of the series' more nagging issues with varying degrees of success. There are moments in Downpour that genuinely work and showcase what this franchise could be with a little more TLC. Unfortunately, there are still rough patches to be smoothed over and kinks to be worked out in subsequent sequels-but here's to hoping Vatra gets another crack at it.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2012
    Even despite its flaws, Silent Hill: Downpour manages to scare and entertain the living hell out of me. Change isn't always bad, especially for a town so devoted to change its visitors as Silent Hill. [May 2012]