4.4

1. Mar 16, 2012
    I know for a fact that a lot of people that review this game on here have not really played it. In all truth, this game is underrated. As a fan of the series, I would give it a 10, but for a fair review I give it an 8. I'll give you my honest feelings about this game: The controls are not broken. They work just fine. There is a fine sense of speed here. Characters function normal for the most part. Sonic and Blaze function better than the others, however. Speaking of characters, there are a lot of them to play as, which adds variety. Loading times are occasionally long, but you won't mind if you are patient like me. Stage missions are a ton of fun, but only half of the town missions are fun. Stage missions vary from character to character. Sonic and Shadow are about the same, except Shadow's missions allow you to use cool vehicles, and Sonic has mach speed in certain levels. Some people think mach speed is difficult, but if you use the light speed dash move to follow ring paths, they are easy. Silver, the other main character, is slower, but he makes up for it by having psychic powers, which allow him to deflect objects at enemies. The maturity of the story is executed better than the game Shadow The Hedgehog. I love the graphics. Rarely has there been more detail in a Sonic game. There is not a single track of music in this game that is bad either. Other editions include gems, which are items that you can buy from stores. They give Sonic some cool powers, including the ability to shrink, extra speed, and flight. Sure, there are a lot of glitches here, but they don't make the game unplayable. In fact, some of the glitches are amusing. The only glitch that I did not like is the one where the characters Rouge and Knuckles are stuck to walls. Other than that, I find nothing really wrong. Its not bad, but it is not really really good. It is perfect for real fans of the series. Expand
  2. Feb 8, 2012
    I don't think I've hated a game more than this one. I love videogames and I friggin love sonic but this is such a sad excuse for a game. Frustrating on so many levels, avoid this like your life depends on it.
  3. Apr 9, 2013
    Jesus Christ. If you want to see play this game. The gameplay is boring, frustrating and stupid. Usually, I'm a fan of Sonic, but damn, this has got to be one of the worst games I've ever played. I don't play that many terrible games. This is the reason My mind, eyes and ears have been brutally raped
  4. Aug 29, 2013
    [4.1] Even for an early Xbox 360 title this game seems exceptionally lazy. I would never expect Sega to produce a game comparable to a spin-off of a movie, especially not one that represents their most revered franchise. This game has too much of too little and is not worth playing.
  5. Oct 26, 2013
    worst sonic game
    i really hate it, it had a horrible gameplay
    it had a good story but i think that sonic team
    could do something better than this
    goddamn why sega??
  6. Dec 4, 2012
    Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) was an ambitious game project for Sonic's 15th Anniversary. Although the game attempted to be the biggest and most diverse Sonic experience to date, the game fell flat on its face and bombed hard from being poorly programmed and being in a state that was not anywhere near completion when it was released for sale. The game's story is a convoluted mess of plot holes and lack of logic, the level design is a death trap of poorly scripted events and bad design choices, the horrible camera system which behaves oddly all the time, the absurdly long loading times which show lack of programming refinement, the multiplayer aspects are completely unbalanced making it broken, the game's controls are destroyed beyond belief, the various kinds of specialized game play styles are incredibly glitchy and even the basic core mechanics of the game don't function correctly. The only factor of this game that is positive is the music which is diverse and is quite a joy to listen to. This game is quite simply almost unplayable as no care at all was put into beta testing to ensure the quality of the product or to ensure everything functioned properly because the company wanted the game on store shelves by a specific date. This game is a slap in the face to all fans of the Sonic The Hedgehog IP as it slowed that the developers where more interested in making money than attempting to release a high quality, properly functioning and enjoyable product. In conclusion, This game is garbage and a waste of money, steer clear of it at all costs. I would give this game a rating of 0 out of 10, but I'll be generous and give it a 1 out of 10 since it had somewhat decent music. Expand
  7. Nov 5, 2011
    Saying that this game is horrible is an understatement, didn't the folks at SEGA did a QA on this one?
    Horrible physics, AWFUL load times, PS1 animations, crappy hit detection. only things going for it are the cutscenes and the soundtrack. IT'S NO USE! TAKE THIS!
    Absolute Zero for this garbage.
  8. Apr 21, 2014
    the cut scenes looked nice, silver is a pretty cool character and the soundtrack is awesome, but everything else is a complete disappointment. the camera angles are so bad that it will be the death of you in every situation, not because you were genuinely out matched, but because the camera angles suck, the controls have taken a step back since sonic adventure two battle and feel awkward. the city that you can roam around in is completely lifeless. this game is just awful, and was the death of the franchise Expand
  9. Jun 28, 2012
    I played this game during awkward stages of my Life. Looking back it was a really sad period. The game sports a unpolished feel and look. Stages are frustrating. It tries to be the original Sonic Adventure on dreamcast, but fails.
  10. Sep 15, 2010
    This was the last use of the great sonic adventure formula, that could have been an excellent game but due to its excessive amount of errors, fails to reach the height of being considered a classic. It has all it needed to be an excellent sonic game, but it was not revised. Yet, I think Sega needs to use again this formula, but revising first for technical issues. Still, this game offers some really nice platforming, great variety in gameplay, a great soundtrack, and a decent story, it all requires is patience. Expand
  11. Jan 29, 2013
    It's a terrible game, to say the least. It's hair brained style is stupid, levels feature terrible design and touchy controls, and the story can't be taken seriously at all. The face that 3/4 of the game is also incredibly tedious and no fun at all, this game reeks. It gave us a good laugh (more than once actually), and the soundtrack is the best part of the game, but overall just reeks. It's a mess. Expand
  12. Dec 13, 2011
    I got this game and since I got it I never stopped playing it .! I think it is a great game .It takes a long time to beat it .but it is really awesome.
  13. Jan 22, 2012
    Absolute CRAP! This was actually the very first game i played on the 360 when i got it back in 06, and boy was I discouraged to even play another launch title. I remeber being truly confused when I played this game. I just kept dying and i didn't know why. I did what was asked but i guess that wasn't good enough to please the games controls and camera(which is the main antagonist in this game) and the load times, ohhh dont get me started on the load screens. Overall, never in a millions years did i think i would ever hate a Sonic game, but mission accomplished SEGA. Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    This game functions. That is the only good thing I can say about this game. Heck half the time the game doesnt even do that. This should be avoided with every ability a human being has.
  15. Jan 30, 2013
    This was the first game I have ever played on the Xbox 360. What away to start off! Awful gameplay, horrendous story, crappy controls, and the list goes on. There are some bad Sonic games out there and it just so happens I own a good chunk of them. With those games, there were bad, but at least some had a replay value. This game should not even Exist!!!! This game is complete garbage! It's insulting to all the Sonic fans out there! If there is one GOOD thing about the game is the graphics. Its of the better looking Sonic games out there, but graphics don't make a great game. Game is bad, do not I repeat DO NOT buy this game! Expand
  16. Oct 25, 2012
    Plusses: Great graphics and stunning music
    Cons: Cliché story, broken gameplay, and Elise
    This game is infamous for its gameplay, but for me it's the story and Elise that ruin it for me. Thanks for ruining our childhoods, ****
  17. Apr 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Sonic game does not run really great as many people think problems with this game are

*poor camera angles and they tend to be really slow when you move the camera yourself this is quite a pain to see anything
    *some quest's are very hard and annoying to do say you got too find seven or ten kids in a open BIG city and did I say IT'S TIMED, finding them is well quite hard since when you go near them they RUN AWAY from you screaming 'ah Soinc is coming for me'
    *story is a bit like Sonic Adventure one graphics on that game is the same you get a story which you get a lot of items in Sonic Adventure too like the speed shoes that let's you fly through rings in front of you the story is somewhat lacking it's all about speed in some mission's I was doing a mission where you need to open a door for Sonic he was getting chase by a whale in the sea and hitting a switch was on this big tree thing so you had to control Tails for this part as you try to do it lots of robots spam they shooting at you so it's was hard to avoid them and look for the switch at the same time you basicly had like four minutes to look for it or you had to do the same crap again!
    I was really pulling my hair out in shock as I could not do this first time or second time or third so then I finally did it, I got off the game I tryed something better!
    Note to all Sonic fans, this is just another let down game thanks Sega!
  18. Jul 20, 2013
    What is there to be said? They found out that a human love interest for Sonic was a bad choice before the FIRST game was released. They did not play test this game...........either that or this is a prototype. They simply ran out of time or could not find inspiration for the dying franchise. The game has NUMEROUS glitches and all in all is a disappointing game at its core.
  19. Dec 6, 2012
    This game had potential, but god did Sonic Team **** it up something fierce, the physics engine is BROKEN, Sonic will often slam into a wall, for no reason, some of the level designs are pretty neat, but they tend to drag on, and the "Mach Speed" stages are just broken. How do you **** up an IP like this so badly? It's like this game wasn't even beta tested. I could look past the horrible Final Fantasy rip off story if the gameplay was good, but it just isn't. The graphics are pretty awful for a 360/PS3 game as well, the city looks like card board, the people hilariously bad out of cut scenes, the best looking models are Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. And, to top it all off, they got the voice actors from 4KIDS to do the dub, that just speaks for itself. Expand
  20. Nov 23, 2012
    Sonic the Hedgehog is an abomination unto the Sonic legacy. The game is filled with unnessaccery bugs, glitches, loading screens and has an incomplete feel. Story wise the game is very deep and satisfying as Sonic, Shadow, and Silver each have their own episode with different goals that contrast with each other's throughout the game. Once each episode is complete, the Last episode is unlocked to reveal the true ending. It is also the first HD Sonic game, which isn't saved by its graphics although they are nice and crisp. Plot (Sonic episode): It is the Festival of the Sun in the castle town of Soleanna and Princess Elise has lit the torch to mark its celebration just as Dr. Eggman attempts to abduct her. Sonic, however prevents this and escapes with the princess as Eggman gives chase. Despite his best efforts, Eggman abducts the princess as Sonic embarks on a quest to rescue her. Legacy: This has only increased suspicion that modern Sonic games are awful. Opinion: This is a game I reccomend to a Sonic fan. An awful job, reminds me why hate justifiably exists in the world. Expand
  21. Sep 28, 2013
    Sonic the Hedgehog, better known as "Sonic 06" because people prefer not damaging the name of the series any further, is the worst video game I have ever played in my entire life. It still shocks me to this day that people actually like this game and try to defend it in some situations. Every single aspect of this game is absolute garbage(except for the soundtrack, it's brilliant and it's the only thing of this trainwreck you'll ever want to experience)

Everything. Really, this is not me overexaggarating: there is nothing good about this game other than the soundtrack. But when I can look past this hellish ordeal and still manage to not get angry at myself for being an absolute fool and playing this game completely, I find people on the internet saying the game wouldn't be as bad if it didn't have glitches.

This is more frustration than I can take.

To the people who DO think this: you're idiots. Ask yourself:

Was the desert billiard ball puzzle a glitch? Did they mess up the code somewhere and that's why the ball puzzle exists? Did they mess up the code somewhere and that's why there's 16 different gameplay styles that are all god-awful? Did the terrible mach-speed sections for Sonic, where you barely have a chance to react to anything, magically appear because they messed up the code somewhere? NO. No to all of this. It's true that this game is frustrating and that very often, glitches are to blame, but that's not all. This game was designed badly. This entire game was doomed from the start when they decided to implement all these terrible ideas.

But seriously, to those who do wish to defend this game:

Why? Do you seriously not see how this game is an absolute trainwreck? Every single aspect of this, and not even just the gameplay, but the story too, is absolute trash. To most normal people, these kind of problems would be unacceptable. Face it already: there is no way you can defend this game without looking absolutely ridiculous.

Terrible designing and an awful storyline aren't the only things that are bad about this game: it's also a really weird and awkward relationship between Sonic and human princess Elise. At the end of the game, they actually kiss and it's safe to say that it's the most disgusting kiss in the history of anything. When I saw that scene, I was hoping that this would be the most sick, twisted and tasteless joke of all time, or a nightmare, perhaps, and that I would wake up 30 seconds later with relief. Sadly, that wasn't the case.

Anyways, this game is awful. This game got way less criticism than it deserved. If you are a masochist, this is the ultimate game for you but otherwise it's an absolute trainwreck. I reccommend never buying this game, ever, don't even grab it out of a dumpster, for purposes other than destroying it. What I do reccommend is playing it before destroying it because the frustration you'll get from it will make it feel even better when destroying it.

So yeah, I can't give this game anything other than a 1. That 1 is for the absolutely brilliant soundtrack. I reccommend buying it, or just listening to it on youtube because like I said before, it's the only thing of this piece of garbage you will ever want to experience.

I will never defend this game, ever. This is, without a doubt, the worst video game I have ever played and ever will play in my entire life. Big Rigs is better than this because it's laughably bad. This game, however, induced an insane amount of anger into me. But I played this when I was younger and I thought I was the one doing stuff wrong. Now that I'm older and thankfully a little smarter, I can now safely say that it was not my fault.

This is the worst game I've ever played. No doubt. It'll probably never change either.
  22. Apr 17, 2013
    I have to say, I really, REALLY enjoyed this game and it is probably my second favourite Sonic game EVER MADE. Why? 1) The characters and storyline are fantastic (save for perhaps the Elise and Sonic combination) 2) The levels are imaginative and intelligent Silver's are great as well. 3) The music is superlative. 4) Beautiful graphics. So... why only 8? Well, the game is simply unfinished. I think that's its largest flaw by far. It's like playing a beta version. If you can deal with bugs, then I think you'll enjoy it much more. The storyline also has some issues and Shadow's levels are a bit dull.

Overall though only Sonic Adventure 2 tops this in the Sonic series in my opinion. A wasted opportunity, yes, and much less impressive than it SHOULD have been, but an unpolished diamond is still a diamond
  23. Nov 30, 2012
    This game isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. While usually glitchy, the game is still pretty fun & some of the glitches are fun themselves. The story isn't that bad, it was actually decent but parts of the story are pretty awkward, but other parts are actually pretty good. I will say this absolutely isn't the best Sonic game, but it isn't the worst either. I liked it, I do think it feels rushed so it could be a launch title for Xbox 360 & PS3, there are things that are wrong with it, but the best way to describe it is it's a decent game that has Sonic Adventure-esque gameplay (though not as good as Adventure). And to those who keep hearing Sonic & Elise made out or anything like that, it was a simple, yet still awkward two-second long kiss, it's easy to look past it & get on with the game. Expand
  24. May 18, 2012
    This game, its just, just..... TERRIBLE! I'm not going to go in to detail (because you should already know this game is awful) but its just awful. Worst $20 I ever spent. The game is broken beond belief (its worse then my spelling), I'd rather enter the pain olymopics then play this game. If before this game came out you still had hope for the sonic franices, this killed it for you. I'll admit sonic has had THREE, COUNT THEM 1,2,3 good games sence this game was released (sonic colours, generations, 4 ep 1), ut with all the garbge they put out (rings, warehog(so bad) among others). But I'm getting alittle of topic, dont get this game, burn your money for you cant buy this game (or give your money to me, if you must), stay away you wont regret it! Expand
  25. Feb 13, 2014
    Impressive graphics aside, this game is a pathetic attempt to rejuvenate sonic for his 15th anniversary, and fails in nearly all ways. Loading screens that never end, glitches galore, and slow gameplay for a sonic game, SEGA deserves to feel bad about this monstrosity.
    At least the soundtrack was alright...
  26. Nov 21, 2010
    I'm a huge sonic fan, but even I can't forgive alot of the faults in this game. This game was suppost to be fixes of wrongs by Sonic Adventure but really, it failed worse than that series.Sonic Adventure 1 was a great game in my opinion, adventure 2 was ok but I hated emerald searching and mechs, but this game's load times just make this game something unbarable. If you can get past the very unbearable load times though, this game just so happens to be a very beautiful looking game with a great story and fun gameplay...but yet again, if you can bare the TERRIBLE load times. Expand
  27. May 14, 2012
    This Sonic Game may have a lot of hate, but let me tell you this....I LOVE THIS GAME!!! Its one of my Favorite Sonic Games. Not trying to be a Sonic Fanboy, but its true. Silver is Cool, Shadow is Great and Sonic is AWESOME!! Same thing goes to the PS3 version. I did played the Xbox 360 version
  28. Mar 6, 2012
    I'm a Sonic fan and i really like the series, but seriously, are you **** kidding me Sega?! The characters has bad movements, the voice acting is bad and Eggman is... thin. Oh come on!!! I give it a 2 only because i like the soundtrack.
  29. Jan 18, 2013
    Not the best, certainly not. The only good thing thing was actually Sonic Gameplay which was pretty good at first but kinda lacked down to due poorly designed levels and it sadly is as much as the entirley awful Silver gameplay and overly heavy Shadow gameplay. The multiplayer was too confusing since the camera wasnt perfection and the characters skills were way too variable. Few Levels like Magma Rift and Kingdom valley were kinda unplayable. The models and story and new characters were dumb too. However the music and thrill (only if you play it on a theater with 3D sound and candies around you) was pretty cool. Expand
  30. Jun 7, 2011
    OK lemmie start by saying my die count is probably 90000, I freaking HATE IT!it sooo stupid it's just......AAAA Sega must have hired mental people to make this freaking game!
  31. Nov 8, 2011
    zomg its the best sawnik game ever. go get it now. really. k thx bai.................................. you can probably get it for free in a gamestop dumpster fyi.
  32. Nov 17, 2011
    This is a truly awful game. The Cutscenes are the only good parts. The in game graphics are worse than some SD wii games. The gameplay is so boring, and bad level design causes you to die again and again and again, making you endure a long loading screen. Shadow the Hedgehog is far better than this game, I reccomend that instead.
  33. Nov 20, 2011
    Please kill me it hurts to live. Who let this happen? Who actually tested this and thought "wow, this game isn't utterly awful, I should unleash this upon the general populace" Buy this if you like: terrible broken controls, ridiculous glitches and a camera that seems to realise what an awful game it's in and then proceeds to try and escape from its own personal hell. Do not buy if you like: Having fun. Expand
  34. Jul 18, 2013
    Sonic 06 is a good game. The gameplay is fun and easy to control, but the story is confusion and didn't make any sense. The graphics are okay for a old Xbox 360 and PS3 game. The voice acting is decent, but some terrible. I say Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic 06 is a decent sonic game and a under-rated one.
  35. Aug 23, 2013
    Sonic 06 is regarded as the worst Sonic game ever made; while that might be true, I still think Sonic Unleashed is worse for many reasons. While Sonic 06 is bad; I was constantly drawn to it because of one thing-story. Many renowned games; Silent Hill 2 for example; have rather bad combat or little gameplay and instead focus on story or atmosphere. The cut-scenes presented in this are like most of the recent 3D Sonic games (Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed etc.) are absolutely gorgeous, though some design changes (Eggman for instance-OH GOD NO!) are pretty bad. The story feels like an anime plot and I like that quality; it's a pretty goo plot and kept me trying to play. Gameplay is a muddled, bad mess however; slippery controls, a bad camera, annoying hub towns, bugs and annoying deaths make it almost unplayable. If you can stand bad gameplay for story, then I recommend picking this game up cheap, but if you're a hard-core, action and good game player-STAY AWAY Expand
  36. Jun 27, 2012
    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLlololololololoolollolololololololololololololollolLOLOL
  37. Dec 4, 2011
    While the game has potential with Adventure-like gameplay, an... interesting story, engaging boss battles, and awesome music, it is riddled with bugs, frequent and long loading times, and poor hit detection, to name a few. Unless you're a die-hard Sonic fan or can ignore the loading times, avoid this one.
  38. Jun 16, 2013
    Game Grumps inspired me to try out the game to see just how bad it really was. I found a used copy and attempted to play it. I started regretting it after the first 5 minutes. My advice, just watch the GG videos and save your money.
  39. Sep 20, 2013
    The graphics look great for a release of early next gen consoles, the soundtrack in this game is memorable and the graphics look amazing. The storyline is disturbing and the gameplay itself is ridiculous!!! The collision detection is horrible and glitches, like the Silver boss battle, is unacceptable and almost unplayable if you use a certain technique.
  40. Jan 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic 06 is the worst video game i have ever played. this game turns an aniversary of sega's mascot into a crying shame. this game takes ages to let's play because you spend more time loading than actually playing the game. th story absolutely makes no sense. There is a reason this game almost killed the series.They took everything wrong with the series and put it in one big disappointment. All the glicthes and everything. the only positive thing is the sound track...and youdont even have to buy the game to listen to it. that's the only thing out of this ordeal you would wan't to own. from a platform enthusiast i can say this is the worst game of all time Expand
  41. Nov 4, 2012
    This is the game that will troll you if your not a pro at sonic.This Sonic game has many things to do but that's not as great as it sounds. The one thing that is absolutly brilliant is the Music. The games stages are full of glitches and the hub world is very dull. Although the games graphics and sound is brilliant the gameplay wont make you stay playing the game but it will make you realy fustrated. A good thing about the game is the enviroments of the stages. Some Stages are fun to play but most will completely troll you.Overall: This Sonic game has fantastic Music and Graphics but if you want to get this game for the Gameplay and not the graphics and sound this game is definatly not for.The Story is all right but not amazing. An all right game but not one you should really buy for even £10. Story:5.5/10 Graphics8/10 Music:9.5/10 Gameplay:4/10 Presentaion:4/10 Replay Value:5/10 Overall:5/10 Expand
  42. Sep 16, 2010
    A barely playable mess of a game, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 plays as if it was programmed by monkeys and unfolds as if its narrative was conjured up by a fifteen year old. You'll fall through floors, walk up walls and plummet down bottomless pits countless times. New addition to the series Silver the Hedgehog is as annoying as ever, with gameplay that, in theory, sounds fantastic, but in practise is both frustrating and boring. As with Shadow the Hedgehog, this is another Sonic Team title that has only the accompanying soundtrack going good for it. If Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 were to be represented as a mighty tower, it would've fallen down long before workers had even finished building it. Expand
  43. Dec 8, 2011
    I'm not going to even dive into a deep review here, but I'll say this: you're a complete and utter idiot if you find this glitchy piece of crap fun. IT'S NOT EVEN GOT A FINISHED PHYSICS ENGINE, FOR GOD SAKE. Seriously, you can run at top speed in a tight circle because the programmers forgot to program it. This game is a piece of sh*t and I hope anyone who reads this review will take the right option of not playing it. Expand
  44. Feb 12, 2014
    personally, I like this game. I know the game has faults including its horrible story. but if you do not take it seriously and mess around with the game its a so bad its good kind of game. I am not saying to follow this example because it should not be followed but the way all of these glitches happens in the game to sonics meter never depleting so that you can use the gems powers as long as you want can make for some funny LP footage. as a fan of sonic I am a little bit disappointed but at the same time I am glad the game exist so that we can just laugh at what a horrible game this is all together. Expand
  45. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. Amazing music as usual, fun gameplay, but the game could have been better overall. Voices don't match up with mouths at times; average to awful voice acting; forced to play as other characters in many levels, even though it should be only the character you actually chose to play as; the sonic-elise relationship was cringe-worthy and annoyin; character models were average if not bad, especially Elise's; shadow feels like they are forcing you to use vehicles instead of your normal speed, and while some parts with it work, others shouldn't even be attempted; annoying to fight enemies; some slow parts; when climbing walls with rouge or knuckles it can be hard to jump off; bad controls; average storyline; some stages are recycled with other characters; NPC's simply say "Hey." in the same voice and an extremely long amount of text while moving their hands and mouth randomly, rather than actually making the voices, mouths, and hands be unique and work in sync; knuckles and rouge never get to hunt for emeralds; obvious often stated; loading takes forever; side missions tedious; AI followers often dying many times because they don't realize there is in fact an ability to jump;;;;Other than that it's fine.
    ----Bottom line. It's average. Not as bad as many say it is, but still sort of bad. Rent it if you think you like it. Sega really should have polished it way more than they actually did.
  46. Sep 5, 2011
    As a hardcore Sonic fan, it really pains me to say this, after defending such games as 'Shadow the Hedgehog' and 'Sonic Heroes', but Sonic 2006 is possibly the worst game I at any point WANTED to play. While the game itself looks pretty, it conceals what is most likely a beta copy of the game slapped together for a holiday release. The game itself has only a couple of redeeming features. The music for one, is good, which is to be expected from a Sonic game, and on the whole, the visuals are quite lush. However aesthetic touches do not a game make. The game is marred by so many flaws that listing them would take longer than for you to rent the game and see for yourself, but I'd rather not subject you to that, so lets take a look. The first problem noticeable is the load times. Assuming you played thorough the entire game, you'd probably spent a good 10 percent of the time waiting for the game to load. I'm used to long load times, but it loads at every. single. possible. point. Additionally, I'd expect this kind of problem from the Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube. Not a seventh-gen console. The story sounds like a piece of fanfiction gone slightly south. The uncomfortable, almost romantic moments between human Elise and Hedgehog Sonic made me more than uncomfortable playing this game, and new character Silver feels like everything wrong with an Original Character only more pronounced and with an irritating voice to match. I'd normally look past both of these problems, or at lease not notice them as much, if the gameplay was good. Finding redeeming qualities in a mess of vague objectives, bad maps, lousy camera angles, wonky controls, and mind-blowingly irritating stages where a single hit will kill you can be somewhat challenging, and I doubt I have the skill for it. Other features of the game lack thought as well. While the game keeps the previous grading system featured in past games, in also attaches a monetary value of rings, used to purchase upgrades at shops as opposed to finding them in stages in the past. This feature feels odd for a Sonic game and feels like an unneeded time waster. While 'Sonic Adventure' had a World Map, which had the upgrades scattered about, it was at least mostly navigable. Additionally, the games side-quests, which feature such tasks as defeating robots or passing through rings, are again subject to the load times and control issues the action stages have. It's hard to go to far into the plot without spoiling any of it, though the game does an ample job of that for you, but it feels rushed, cliched, and overwrought. Silver 'Gary Stu' the Hedgehog is sent back in time to stop the Ilbis trigger from destroying his world in the future. This is one of about six plots that the game has at once, and it manages to botch them each in a very special way. The story is divided into three story modes, somewhat similar to Sonic Adventure 2, focusing on Sonic, Shadow, and Silver, the Hedgehog's, which I believe is also the name of a late 90's sitcom. Sonic's story revolves around saving the aforementioned Princess and Human/Animal love activist Elise from the eeeee-vile clutches of Doctor Eggman. Shadow's involves a demon sealed inside a resident MacGuffin who once released takes the form of a ethereal Shadow, and proceeds to wreck havoc on the game's inhabitants, its plot, and several decades of literary advancement in storytelling and plot structure. Silver's story involves attempting to kill titular protagonist Sonic, and saving his distopian future all while being a poster boy for teenage angst. The game is noticeably darker than previous entries in the series and fails to do it with the excellent storytelling of the second 'Adventure' game. It doesn't work well in a game who's target demographics are either overly saturated to such plots or prefer the more bright tone in earlier games. To add insult to injury, the game is riddled with bugs and glitches, and the lack of an autosave feature can make redoing challenging stages a likely prospect. Even hardcore Sonic fans should really consider what they're getting into before delving into this mess. In short, the game's pleasant outward appearance doesn't make up for a game that lacks any true appeal, and is one that few should buy, fewer should play, and almost none will enjoy. Expand
  47. Apr 24, 2013
    This is not a game, its a direct slap to all Sonic fans waiting for a decent Sonic game.
    there is no gameplay its so filled whit bugs and bad hit detection its a PAIN to play.
    The story had some potential but that stupid prinsess is the most worthless char in history.
    Sonic story is an ass whit that stupid city that doesnt work at all for anything.
    Silver story is just plain boring and
    full of bugs.
    Shadow story........ no just dont want to remember that......

In all in all dont even come close to this... thing, this abobination hidden as a "game"
  48. Apr 27, 2013
    the game isn't as bad as many people may say. it brings alot of interesting ideas topped of with decent controls and great level design that emphasises platforming. story... it's the worst thing ever, characters... sonic isn't sonic and tails states the obvious but the rest isn't that bad. the graphics are nice and colorfull and levels are easily identified. the game isn't finished and has lots of bugs. the characters are a bit too slow but the level design does make up for it a bit. this game is for sonic fans and nobody else. Expand
  49. Jan 9, 2011
    Let me say this: I am a hardcore Sonic fan, and I generally like most Sonic games. When I played this though, I caught every single disease in the world. THIS GAME IS HORRIBLE.

OK, this game does have a couple of good things, like the soundtrack is good and one of the levels is fun. And that's it.

Otherwise, the level design is terrible - it just doesn't work, and is sometimes way to
    hard. The levels are also extremely long - Sonic levels should not last 20 MINUTES. The loading screens - ugh, not only do they last around 25 seconds EACH, but you encounter them EVERYWHERE. And I'm not joking. I was about to play a mission, so a loading screen came up. I suppose that is acceptable. But then, ONE sentence appeared after that loading screen, and once you read that, ANOTHER LOADING SCREEN CAME! Plus, the game is extremely glitchy - I ran into a wall, Sonic stopped, I lost control over the character and shooted straight off the screen. The glitches are even gamebreaking - they are that bad. And the engine is just plain weird - Sonic is very slow, and some of his moves, like the homing dash, do not make sense. When Sonic does a homing dash in other games, he does the dash in mid air, then builds up some momentum after he does that as he falls to the ground. In this game, he does the dash, and then he drops the the floor like a stone. It's annoying, especially if you are trying to reach a further-away area. Plus the dash only reaches a very short distance, so it isn't even worth it. The story is stupid, too - it's confusing and just down-right silly, making no sense whatsoever. Not only that, but Sonic get's KISSED BY A HUMAN. That is the most disgusting, vile sight ever in video-gaming history.

This game is a horrible game and I hope you take my word for it. Trust me - it may seem great when you watch other people play it, but once you actually hold the controller, you will throw up. I hate this game and please, please PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON IT.
  50. Dec 16, 2012
    This game is infamous for wasted potential and being rushed. The entire game is one giant glitch and any attempt to play it will result in frustration. One might dare say that it's an unplayable game, and to that I would agree, attempting to make your way to the end of this game is a feat accomplishable by only the most hardened masochists.

There were good ideas in this game, but
    they're not even slightly refined. So in having worthy concepts it earns a 1, but in executing these so poorly it's worth not a single fraction of a point more. Expand
  51. Oct 18, 2010
    Do not buy this game. Avoid at all costs. This game has been known to ruin your childhood. The dark overtones are unfitting in a Sonic game, the controls are absolutely horrible, the art design is uninspired and grim, and just about the only thing redeemable about this game is the music, and even then, Sonic games are known for good soundtracks, so this isn't saying much. This game should have never existed Expand
  52. Jul 29, 2012
    The saddest thing is that this buggy, incomplete game isn't even Sega's fault. The game was announced for Sonic's 16th birthday, but the fans demanded it to be released for his 15th. Therefore, a year's worth of work couldn't have been done. This, like most Sonic travesties, is because of the fanbase.
  53. Apr 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OMG this is the bestest gamest everest. I was playin a viddygame on the yesternoon yesterdoy any I said to my thoughts "If only More viddygames imploormentiated the ability to not know what you are happening" SaWnic The Sledgehammer remidies all plast gweivances in that the player has widdle to no control over what is happen. Humans being flwaed creatures Sanic Beam Decided to remove as much of our flaawed input as pawsible. They Geniusues have also disclovered that challoonging goomplooy is a thong of the pest as they have decided that the puture of viddygames is wrestling with glitches and bad design. Thiws gamey is better than moosart, becaws did mawsart have a Hedgethong kissing a weerd japanees girrl?

~Sinceerly
    -Sanic Faan In Da Nile
  54. Dec 12, 2013
    SEGA made a big mistake by rushing this game out. Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 is not only the worst Sonic Game, but probably one of the worst games period. The story isn't very good, and sometimes doesn't make sense. The gameplay sucks. The game also tries to be way too realistic too. Must i say more, the game sucks, don't buy it!
  55. Jul 6, 2012
    I played this game. Very good graphics, great story line, and especially great game play. I don't understand why people HATE this game. This is my absolute favorite game ever. And Silver is not a useless or stupid character. For example, he has the COOLEST powers ever. He is just naive, that's what people don't like about him. Mephiles was a great villain in the game and hard to battle, which is reasonable. Mephiles sure is a lot better of a villain than Dr. Eggman, because Eggman tried to defeat Sonic for years, and Mephiles just kills him like that... I rate this game 10 out of 10. Expand
  56. Dec 2, 2012
    Sonic the Hedgehog, more commonly known as "Sonic 06". ...What can I say that hasn't already been said? This game is a buggy mess that, honestly, feels unfinished. Not only was this game rushed to store shelves for a lost cause, but it was doomed from the start. What do you think of when you see or hear of Sonic? I, personally, think of a cartoon; a fictional universe with no necessary rhyme or reason to how it operates. It's been like that since the beginning, and even though the Adventure games introduced urbanized locations (and people, for that matter), they mixed... quite well, actually, with Sonic's universe. Or at least, that's how I feel about it. When planning Sonic 06, the developers thought it would be just GREAT if they were to make everything realistic. This, along with the 15-17 different gameplay styles in this game, was more than enough faulty game design to have this game instantly fail.

The plot is a completely different story, on the other hand. Sonic Team must have been so focused on the art direction during the whole development cycle, because this game's story is HORRENDOUS. It's practically nonexistent. It's terribly written with plotholes galore, and it's over the top, even more than SA2 and Shadow's plots. I can go into much more detail, but I think ClementJ642's seven-part review of this game on YouTube does a much better job than what I could ever do. There're no fancy words to describe it: it's just bad. Plain, old, bad writing. Going back to what I mentioned at the top, this game was rushed for a reason. A very unnecessary one, but one nonetheless: they wanted to release this game for both the fairly-new Xbox 360 and brand-new PS3 by the PS3's launch. They went right into development on this game after Shadow the Hedgehog (the video game) was released. Next-gen consoles and a short development time: I think you can see how we ended up with what we got. It's a miracle we can actually finish the game, if you think about it.

You will see people around the internet praising this game for extremely questionable reasons. While I can't tell you their motivations, I CAN tell you that what I'm saying is the truth: my nostalgia goggles are off, I've been researching this for a very long time, and you'll find that what I'm saying agrees with most of the respectable reviewers and commentators on YouTube and such.

I WOULD give this game a 0, but the soundtrack is fantastic. Besides that, it just wouldn't be fair. This is honestly better than Superman 64, but it's certainly no Super Mario Bros. 3 (or Sonic 3, for that matter).
  57. Jun 20, 2013
    Sonic the Hedgehog (AKA Sonic '06) is a game that has a really bad reputation, but all in all, it's not extremely bad.
    - The controls are slightly awkward, but are kinda easy to get used to
    - The story is the worst part, it's a mess
    - The graphics are pretty nice for the 360, although the animation isn't good
    - The music is the best part, one of the best soundtracks in the Sonic
    franchise
    - Game-play styles vary, adds a lot of variety to the game
    - Some replay value, but nothing unlocks any extra content, so it useless considering the time it takes to get all Gold medals
    - Glitches mostly have to be done purposely, but you may run into one every once in a while
    - Frame-rate is stable in this version, much more than the PS3 version
    Sonic '06 is definitely a game with a bad rep, but certainly not the worst (check Shadow the Hedgehog for the worst).
  58. Dec 24, 2013
    This, ahem, "game" is one of the worst games in history and SEGA had failed once again (and it will fail a lot more in the future, like Aliens: Colonial Marines or Total War: Rome 2). Nobody tested this game because SEGA was so rushing to release the game at Christmas that this piece of crap bombed upon the gamers like there was no tomorrow. I think even the infamous E.T. for Atari 2600 is not as bad as THIS. This game has terrible graphics (looks no better than Sonic Adventure), crappy storyline, horrific gameplay and these loading times every 5 seconds! I seriously don't understand why some Sonic fanboys are literally praising this game so much that I'm surprised that they didn't built a church yet. this game. Expand
  59. Dec 4, 2011
    Its easy to say that this game is the worst Sonic game ever made, but its hard saying why, well this is my opinion the game doesn't suck that bad.
    Let me explain, yes its true the games has some strange glitches and some weird physic problems that can ruin our game play but nothing that deserves such hate and rage I saw worse and played worse really, the music is awesome and the graphics
    are amazing this game was made in 2005!
    Now the gameplay isn't that bad it reminds me of Sonic Adventure mixed with Sonic Heroes (which was a Great game), the homing attack isn't bad and the only complain I have is the speed cuz Sonic is supposed to be fast but in this game Sonic is "WAY TO SLOW" but the speed stages are good enough yes they're hard but nothing bad, if you say such things as " I DIED TO MUCH" maybe you just suck at Sonic games man or girl or Futa...
    The story is awesome! Well...*ahem* to be fair the only thing wrong with the story is Elise cuz she makes weak because he need to protect her all the time, they also have a strange zoophilia relation but c'mon would you kill Roger Rabbit?
    The game suffers from "Loading as **** problem and that's the only thing I really hate on the game!
    But guys you need to know something this game suffered from hate propaganda made by classic fans, they were spreading their opinion and many people followed their opinion without playing the game properly.
    This is all really the game is so over rated and it doesn't deserve all this hate aits not that bad so stop **** and play the game like this!
  60. Aug 8, 2012
    i nEver play s0nic 6 but i know it is the best gamez of all time cuz of teh graphics you shoud r3ad this hole th!ng in one goez cuz this will blow ur **** mind i hav no comas 2 make tis the best review ever are you ready to hav ur mind blown 2 pieces well getz ready ur mind will be blown 2 pieces. u wont even be able 2 find the pieces sonic 64 is teh best game of all timez becuz of its graphicz it haz better graphics then **** of duty 2 u should toats play it if tat not enough 2 change ur mind then be mind blown robotnikz speed traps constantly get u stuck in wallz and floorz u should toats play it it be teh best gamez of all time everyone play the dang game kthxbai tat is mai review also dont breathe and stay frosty kthxbai ;) Expand
  61. Apr 21, 2013
    the best part of the game is the music, nuff said.

this game is f**king horrible its the worst game i ever played. DONT PLAY THIS GAME, IT COULD KILL YOU!!!!!!
  62. Sep 22, 2013
    The game-play is boring and awful, the level design is shocking, the story is laughable. Only Blaze the cat was actually enjoyable to play as but you only play as her 3 times, the rest were terrible to play as. The music and graphics are really good though. Good thing that Sonic Unleashed was an massive improvement. This is the worst Sonic game I've ever played but when people say Sonic is dead, I disagree because the games afterwards were so much better. Sonic has a good career but had some bad day's. Expand
  63. Oct 24, 2013
    This game is usually considered the worst by many, but I say it has potential, the main problems are the awful loading times and the bad physics, but I actually had fun playing the game. The price isn't worth it during it's release date.
  64. Dec 21, 2013
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 is easily the worst console sonic game ever to be released. The story is extremely complicated and makes no sense. The controls are also extremely precise which takes a long time to get use to and Sonic's overall speed has been reduced dramatically when compared with Sonic Heroes. It would be impossible to go into all of the technical issues that plague this game but the most noticeable one would be the extremely long load times especially in the town missions. There are very few redeeming factors with this game and the only thing i would consider to be good is the music. But in a very strange way it is like the old mega-drive games. What i mean is you could play them ten times and still find new things that you did not know where their link extra lives. The same applies to this game where their are so many glitches in each level you can go around finding new ones you did not know about EG having silver through you to the moon. To sum up this was when sonic had hit rock bottom which was rock bottom but it was necessary in order to get the great games we have today like Colors and Generations Expand
  65. Jan 1, 2014
    HORRIBLE GAME, IT SUCKS, ITS THE WORST VIDEOGAME MADE IN HISTORY, NEVER TOUCH THIS GAME EVER, BECAUSE IF YOU DO ILL KILL YOU IN A HOLE SO NEVER BUY THIS SH*T
  66. Mar 21, 2014
    I decided to give Sonic 06 a try about 2 years ago due to curiosity. I went into the game knowing it was going to be really glitchy, and as you can tell by the score I gave this game, I did not enjoy it. The glitchy-ness of this game is not the reason why I didn't enjoy it. I did not like this game because of the annoying hub world, bad level design, and bad controls. The majority of Sonic's levels I actually enjoyed, and If they were the only parts of this game... I probably would've really liked it! But sadly Sonic's levels take up only about 25% of the entire game. The other 75% has you running around Soleanna which is an extremely bland city that's very easy to get lost in the first time around, and playing as other characters like Silver, Shadow, Amy, Omega, Knuckles, Rouge, Tails, and more. They all control like crap. You can clearly tell this game was rushed for that reason alone, but I was able to get over the controls. What I wasn't able to get over was the horrible levels that Silver and Shadow have to go through. Silver's levels tend to be more on the boring side and Shadow's levels tend to be on the more frustrating side. Silver is very slow, and I probably would've liked it a lot more if he was much faster. Shadow's levels can be very annoying because there's a lot of vehicles that you have to use, and they just aren't fun to me. Throughout some of these levels you switch between certain characters. Sometimes in Sonic's story you'll switch to Tails or Knuckles, as Silver sometimes you'll switch to Amy or Blaze, and as Shadow, sometimes you'll switch to Rouge or Omega. All of these extra characters are much worse than the main heroes (Sonic, Shadow and Silver) except for Blaze. Which also adds to why I don't really like this game as a whole. Expand
  67. Mar 31, 2012
    The only reason why I?m giving it a 4 it's because of the glitches that make the game literally unplayable and abnormal loading times. Seriously, it takes more than 5 minute sto load a section that will last you 20 seconds! The issue is that this game was rushed. If it wasn't, it might've gotten a 7. The gameplays are diverse and interesting and the replay value WOULD be huge. But no, SEGA, you wanted to make Sonic's 15th anniversary a big event. Well you did, but for all the wrong reasons. Expand
  68. Jun 17, 2012
    Blue streak speeds by Sonic the Hedgehog Too fast for the naked eye Sonic the Hedgehog Sonic He can really move Sonic He's got an attitude Sonic He's the fastest thing alive Look out when he storms through Sonic the Hedgehog Don't doubt what he can do Sonic the Hedgehog Sonic He can really move Sonic He's got an attitude Sonic He's the fastest thing alive He's the fastest thing alive
    He's the fastest thing alive
  69. Jul 10, 2012
    To put it simple: this game is not AS bad as a lot of people say it is. From all of those glitches and bugs I've personally only encountered two serious. The controls need a little time to get used to, but after that they have nearly no issues. There are indeed long loading times, but installing the game on Hard Drive really helps in this situation. Other aspects: Music is great, story is good, voices are good, gameplay feels exactly as Sonic Adventure. It's not brilliant, but it's much better that most people think. Expand
  70. Sep 25, 2013
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 is a game that was over hyped to hell,it was meant to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Sonic and what we got was a game that disappointed me to pieces.There are few positives but let me name them.
    -Good Soundtrack
    -CG cut scenes aren't bad

And thats all i can think of not going to write a long review but it's simple,The story has you playing as Sonic Shadow
    and Silver.....but it also has a big problem there are SIXTEEN gameplay styles why? there are 9 characters,so theirs 9,Sonic carries Elise,Shadows vehicles and Sonic mach speed sections. The game also supports bestiality with sonic and elise.Bottom line its a game filled with a terriable story and gameplay Expand
  71. Nov 17, 2013
    *PORTUGUESE REVIEW* Difícil dizer se bom ou não Esse game baseado no seguinte: ou você o odeia, ou você o ama, não tem jeito de fazer análises para este game, mas eu irei tentar fazer uma o mais justa possível: Jogabilidade: Esse que um dos pontos mais fracos do game, a jogabilidade mais ou menos, embora alguns bugs que não atrapalham, há também muitos bugs que atrapalham, os bugs não me atrapalharam, mas eu tenho certeza que já atrapalhou várias pessoas. Se esse quesito fosse trabalhado melhor, não seria um dos pontos fracos do game

História: Outro ponto fraco do game a história, ela muito confusa, mas aos poucos você vai entendendo, mas mesmo assim ela não tão boa, uma parte ruim da história, que Sonic tem que salvar Elise, uma princesa do jogo, toda hora, isso estranho, sei lá, não combina com Sonic, acho que se a história fosse trabalhada melhor não seria tão ruim assim.

Gráficos: Um dos pontos fortes do jogo, os gráficos são muito encantadores e belos, às vezes dá vontade de ficar só andando pela fase, observando os cenários, fica mais bonitos ainda usando um cabo HDMI.

Música: Essa sim a melhor parte do jogo, as músicas! São ótimas e viciantes, sempre antes de eu jogar este jogo, eu escuto as músicas desse game nos extras do game.

Conclusão: Esse jogo, você tem que decidir, pessoas gostaram do game (como eu) mas reconheceram seus pontos fracos, outras já o odeiam, e consideram a ovelha negra dos jogos do Sonic. Só acho errado falar que este game "injogável" tem jeito de jogar este jogo, se você treinar, você pode o jogar melhor, o problema quando as pessoas ficam irritadas com o game, não jogam nem um pouco e já saem falando na internet que o jogo lixo, este game pode ser considerado pelo menos mediano e não um lixo.

Pontos positivos: Gráficos impressionantes; Músicas encantadoras.
    Pontos negativos: História confusa; Muitos bugs
  72. Dec 16, 2013
    as a sonic fan from the end of sonics 2d world im going to defend this game with 1 single word rushed sonic fans are one fan base you should not try to understand they are evil stupid and most of all annoying as hell sega pushed this game out of the window as fast as possible to shut the sonic fan base up so 7 from me
  73. Feb 5, 2014
    First of all, this should not be see as a game, this is a movie.
    The music is awesome, the story even more, but the gameplay is where it all comes wrong.
    To be honest this should be a movie instead of a game, because the gameplay doesnt match NOTHING to the story.
  74. May 21, 2011

If only the developers had focused on delivering a simple, fun experience rather than trying to create something far beyond their reach.
  2. Not only are the voices horrible, as is the case for most Sonic games, but the story makes very little sense. It’s like if you took any basic Nintendo story like Mario saving the Princess, lengthened it to several hours long, and filled it with mindless details that make no logical sense at all.
  3. Atrocious camera angles lead to cheap deaths, the slippery controls make it difficult to get a handle on the characters and the game has a large problem with pacing. It tries to mix in side missions with general stages, and the disastrous results ruin the game.