Sonic Unleashed Xbox 360

7.8

1. Jul 4, 2016
    This game is fun okay maybe the werehog stages get repetitive at a lot of points but I like the fighting mechanics. The sonic stages or day stages are fun and fast pace you feel like you are the fastest thing alive! The bosses are very great as well as the graphics! This game I recommend!
  2. Mar 24, 2016
    I love this game on XBOX 360 and PS2 . Version for XBOX 360 better than PS2 . In this game one of best graphics of 2008 . This is good 3D game . Very awesome boost and drift . Awesome storyline and very very good gameplay . One of best Sonic game . 10/10
  3. Jan 11, 2016
    Sonic Unleashed is a fine effort and slightly better than the critics gave it credit for. the day levels are fantastic and have some of the best sonic levels i've ever played and i love the use of real countries for inspiration. the night levels when the Warehog takes centre stage may be mess with the flow and not be as fun to play. but out of all the ridiculous gimmicks the franchise haveSonic Unleashed is a fine effort and slightly better than the critics gave it credit for. the day levels are fantastic and have some of the best sonic levels i've ever played and i love the use of real countries for inspiration. the night levels when the Warehog takes centre stage may be mess with the flow and not be as fun to play. but out of all the ridiculous gimmicks the franchise have given us i'd say it one of the better experiments. my biggest issue with the game is the level progression which relies on collecting emblems, which may increase replayability of levels but also makes the game rather tedious. the story is passable and serves it's purpose not much really to comment on that one though i am getting sick of the final boss in sonic games being a monster of the day rather than Dr Eggman. i recommend it to anyone curious though avoid the wii and PS2 versions which can't handle the speed and level design and make the Night levels even worse. Expand
  4. Aug 17, 2011
    A much better game than the reviews suggest. Loads of secrets and replay value, fantastic graphics and music. If you love sonic you'll love this. Hell, you may even learn to like the Werehog.
  5. Aug 31, 2016
    Jogo inovador com uma historia epica, hedghog engine foi um grande feito, deixaram os gráficos lindos, o werehog veio para tentar um novo jeito de se jogar, porem foi criticado pela sega nao ter console, assim os fanboy nao poderiam usar ele para falar qual console é melhor
  6. Nov 5, 2011
    Half and half, altough the day half weighs way more than the night half, which honestly wouldn't be that bad if it werent for the retarded camera sometimes. Day stages are awesome. great colors, graphics, speed, platfoming, sounds; also very good for speedruns. Night stages could be better, and that theme for enemies really gets annoying after the third time.
    Even so, the game isn't bad,
    Even so, the game isn't bad, and it was a step in the right direction that eventually lead to successes like Colors and Generations.
  7. Sep 15, 2010
    Personally, this is to me the most disappointing sonic game I ever played due to the fact of the addition of the Werehog. The game features Sonic only with some pretty exciting stages that are great but sometimes have a strange pace because of its excessive amount of obstacles in it. However, the werehog experience is a more slower sonic focused on a mediocre combat. The combat gets betterPersonally, this is to me the most disappointing sonic game I ever played due to the fact of the addition of the Werehog. The game features Sonic only with some pretty exciting stages that are great but sometimes have a strange pace because of its excessive amount of obstacles in it. However, the werehog experience is a more slower sonic focused on a mediocre combat. The combat gets better when you achieve more combos, but it gets very tiring because the game puts too many combat moments and even less platforming in this stages. The werehog stages can sometimes be great, other times decent, mediocre or even at times awful. Yet, the overall concept of the werehog in general feels out of place and unnecessary for the franchise. I would have rather used a new character that was a wolf and would do those tricks, instead of thinking that somehow Sonic becomes this thing. Luckily, the xbox 360 version features a much more exciting gameplay than the wii version because of a better speed in sonic levels and better controls in the werehog battles that make me give it a higher score. Expand
  8. Sep 3, 2014
    The critics loved to bash this game, but i personally think that it is because they wanted fast paced Sonic gameplay, and none of the slow paced werehog levels. But that is probably because that was all they were expecting from this game, so they were rejecting everything else. Yes, the night levels do have sections where you get locked in and have to defeat every enemy to progress, whichThe critics loved to bash this game, but i personally think that it is because they wanted fast paced Sonic gameplay, and none of the slow paced werehog levels. But that is probably because that was all they were expecting from this game, so they were rejecting everything else. Yes, the night levels do have sections where you get locked in and have to defeat every enemy to progress, which some people will not tolerate. But i personally really liked the night levels. And plus, this sonic game stitched 2D and 3D gameplay together almost flawlessly. It also brought us the boost, which was never before seen in a Sonic game at the time. It allowed people to dash at incredible speeds as long as they were collecting rings. there is a huge amount of attention to detail as well. The buildings surrounding you are a blur as you rush to the end of the level at blistering speeds. And in the sections where you go on the rails, you can see buildings stretch on for miles. Sonic Unleashed's graphics are probably still the best out of all the Sonic games to date.this also seems to be the fastest Sonic game so far, as you knock enemies out of your way in an attempt to achieve the S rank on each level. The story progresses pretty slow until the end, but it is one worth paying attention to. Sonic has a companion in this game called Chip. He can be pretty annoying at parts, and can even distract you from the important parts of some cutscenes. Some people don't like him, but I personally don't mind him. If you look past the cheesiness of the game, You might have a good time with this one. And Chip does play an important part in the story, so he isn't there just to annoy you. The gameplay, the story, the characters and even the graphics all make this game, in my opinion, highly underrated. After awfully broken games like Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), it was really nice seeing what was a well polished and enjoyable Sonic game that shook things up. Everyone has a personal favourite Sonic game, and in my opinion, Sonic Unleashed is probably my second favourite game. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the first game I ever played, so it is my first favourite. Personally, every Sonic game that came out after Unleashed (excluding Generations) have not been very good. Definitely a better game than what the critics made it seem, If you see this game at your local game shop, or on the Xbox store, give it a try. This game has been disapproved of for 6 years now. It is better than the newer Sonic games, that's for certain. Expand
  9. Jun 13, 2015
    Mandar um papo reto quem acha o jogo fácil tem que ser extra terreste namoral , mais vou te falar do jeito que eu curto , a sega fez uma enredo nota 10 , e uns graficos que se encaixa muito bem nota 10 "!
  10. Jul 13, 2013
    I don't know why it gets so many hate, this game is not bad at all, there is a lot of secrets, great soundtrack, graphics and replayability. Previous games like Generations and Colors are really fun, but their story is unappealing. Unleashed beats both of them into the ground in that category. The Werehog is a new concept of the game that you may or may not like, The Hedgehog has beenI don't know why it gets so many hate, this game is not bad at all, there is a lot of secrets, great soundtrack, graphics and replayability. Previous games like Generations and Colors are really fun, but their story is unappealing. Unleashed beats both of them into the ground in that category. The Werehog is a new concept of the game that you may or may not like, The Hedgehog has been improved and it has never gone so fast, maybe the segments in the city where you have to talk to everybody it's obnoxious, but I really enjoyed the rest. This game deserves a better score from the critics. Expand
  11. May 16, 2012
    This game is nearly perfect. It's only flaw is the medal hunting. You have to roam around the hub worlds and levels searching for more sun and moon medals to advance to the next level. The problem is that they're unnecessarily hard to find. Another (minor) flaw is that the difficulty of this game spikes dramatically about halfway thorough. At that point, it takes some real skill to be goodThis game is nearly perfect. It's only flaw is the medal hunting. You have to roam around the hub worlds and levels searching for more sun and moon medals to advance to the next level. The problem is that they're unnecessarily hard to find. Another (minor) flaw is that the difficulty of this game spikes dramatically about halfway thorough. At that point, it takes some real skill to be good at the game. Otherwise, everything else is perfectly executed. Good graphics, story, day and night gameplay, hub worlds, voice acting, cutscenes. character choice, level design, etc. Collapse
  12. Dec 11, 2010
    Simply a fun game! This game goes back to alot of what makes Sonic who he is when you play through the Sonic day levels. They actually made a new Hedgehog Engine for this game to get the day levels down. The werehog levels are where some people might be thrown off alil. Yes, it can be a pain to keep having to switch between night and day, but playing as a werehog felt awesome especiallySimply a fun game! This game goes back to alot of what makes Sonic who he is when you play through the Sonic day levels. They actually made a new Hedgehog Engine for this game to get the day levels down. The werehog levels are where some people might be thrown off alil. Yes, it can be a pain to keep having to switch between night and day, but playing as a werehog felt awesome especially since it made this sonic game also into a kid friendly God of War game! :) This is a great Sonic game is definately worth picking up for any sonic fan! Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    This game has an incredible mix of speed and fight. I liked the graphics that team sonic used for this game. The only thing that i dislike in this game, are the repetitive nocturne acts.
  14. Mar 6, 2013
    I really must give this gem praise. Sonic really should take another daring crack like this game did. The game was fun and those who deny it are kidding themselves. While it is true that the Where hog levels were not as good as the Day stages, they were still quite fun in its own right. Me and my brother played in cooperative craze trying to beat this. He played the Where hog and me theI really must give this gem praise. Sonic really should take another daring crack like this game did. The game was fun and those who deny it are kidding themselves. While it is true that the Where hog levels were not as good as the Day stages, they were still quite fun in its own right. Me and my brother played in cooperative craze trying to beat this. He played the Where hog and me the original Sonic since I wasn't as good as he was in the Night stages. The Day stages are fast paced and fun with platforming in the mix. This new concept in the 3D Sonic formula really drove you into playing for those stages again. The key in these stages was to go really fast, but not get carried away in it as well. Sonic games have always challenged your restraint in speed as the trick to playing cleanly through a stage and it sure doesn't stop in this game either. The only problem is that Sonic is a little slippery to control at times. The Night stages, contrary to popular opinion, were really not that bad. They weren't as fun as the Day stages, but they were fun in their own way and really helped hit home in the atmosphere this game was playing out towards. The only flaw in this plan was that there were too many Night stages to play through. This is really dissapointing because a balance would have really made this game much better than it already is and frankly, it would make me more inclined to play through it again. The story is decent, but its presentaion is the biggest victory over it. Its saving the world from Eggman again, but it really feels like that final battle that you have to keep persevering to finally prevail in the end. The scope of this game makes you really feel like your where you are. In the Arabian area, Italian town, Tropical Island, a bustling city, etc. The music is really where I must give props for. SEGA truly had outdone themselves in an original soundtrack in this game. Its diverse and high spirited, with different cultures added into the mix. The orchestration and jazz band are truly welcome in SEGA music as this is among their best soundtracks. It really brings the adventurous feeling of traveling from country to country, saving the world, meeting new people, etc. One of my biggest gripes about this game is the voice acting. Jason does his best performance as Sonic, but everyone can't be said the same way. Chip's character was also a bit annoying, but still memorable and he did grow on me after a while. Its not the best Sonic game ever, but its still definately an underrated game in the franchise, easily worth the buy, especially the 15 dollars its on sale for these days. If you want the best version of this game I highly suggest getting the Xbox version. Don't pass this game up if your interested. Expand
  15. Feb 22, 2016
    I owned the Wii version before picking up this version for $20. I loved the daytime stages, and was mostly indifferent on the werehog ones. It's far from perfect, but not as bad as the general public considers the "God of War-hog" gameplay.

The daytime stages are easily the delight. Beautiful graphics, fun reactionary gameplay, expansive levels with plentiful multiple paths, and the music is incredible.

The medal system, if the player is unaware of it, can cause problems mid game when they're required to play most stages, but an easy circumvention is to simply search everywhere for them in the slower nighttime stages and in the simplified, contained hub worlds.

If the game was solely daytime stages, the critical reception for this game wouldn't be as polarizing as what we have.
  16. Jan 9, 2015
    REALLY GOOD, the reason this is not a 10 is cause the long somewhat boring were hog stages, i mean there ok but not great and mainly focused on combat. really fast as is but than you upgrade your speed , best boost in the sonic series , best story in the sonic series , fun game play , great physics , good graphics , fun combos but the were hog kinda brings it down.
  17. Oct 14, 2012
    I really like this game more than the first 360 game the visuals are great, the soundtrack is brill and the story is great but the only two flaws of the game is the upgrade system for the day levels and the game-play for the ware-hog levels (like when you balance on the planks or whatever they called them) so this game is way better the last game.
  18. Jun 27, 2016
    One of Sonic's finest titles. While the only playable character, Sonic is split into 3 different styles of gameplay. Sonic's day stages which are fast paced and adrenaline fuelled platforming and racing stages that rely on skill, Sonic's nightstages where you transform into the Werehog to take part in satisfying combo based combat and puzzles, and the hubworlds where Sonic is slowed downOne of Sonic's finest titles. While the only playable character, Sonic is split into 3 different styles of gameplay. Sonic's day stages which are fast paced and adrenaline fuelled platforming and racing stages that rely on skill, Sonic's nightstages where you transform into the Werehog to take part in satisfying combo based combat and puzzles, and the hubworlds where Sonic is slowed down to talk to different members of the new supporting cast who each have fairly decent stories to tell of their own. Sonic's new sidekick, Chip, is a welcome addition to the cast and the scope of the story is more cinematic than ever before, while taking on a lighter tone. Sonic Unleashed is an adventure to remember. Expand
  19. Feb 14, 2015
    This game is amazing! And JUST like Sonic Heroes, this game doesn't deserve all the hate it got! Hear me out, don't listen to the bad reviews. The werehog really isn't bad. It's an interesting form of gameplay, there are many various combos and moves, and its just fun! Sure, it's a bit repetitive at times, but rarely. The graphics are BEAUTIFUL! The daytime levels are even BETTER than theThis game is amazing! And JUST like Sonic Heroes, this game doesn't deserve all the hate it got! Hear me out, don't listen to the bad reviews. The werehog really isn't bad. It's an interesting form of gameplay, there are many various combos and moves, and its just fun! Sure, it's a bit repetitive at times, but rarely. The graphics are BEAUTIFUL! The daytime levels are even BETTER than the werehog, you can run at RIDICULOSLY HIGH SPEEDS, the way it should be in a Sonic game! Now sadly, I don't have my 360 anymore, so I never got a chance to beat it, but I plan on getting it again for my PS3! Long story short, buy this, you'll love it! Expand
  20. Sep 24, 2014
    This game is just amazing! Much better than reviews suggest. Just perfect, with the best of Sonic gameplay + God of War gameplay + Awesome music + Amazing Graphics + and a very good story. Sonic Unleashed is classic, and a great reason to love Sonic series.
  21. Sep 13, 2014
    Whoever said Werehog sucked should not said that. Unleashed is the game that saved Sonic after 06 and that is in my opinion second best modern Sonic. After Generations of course.
  22. Oct 28, 2010
    This is amazingly fun! Well, this version is, anyway! I love both levels, even when it can get a bit frustrating, this game has combined extreme speed, with seamless 3D - 2D transitions and combat, with mostly smooth gameplay, well done SEGA!
  23. Jul 21, 2011
    This game is not really bad. The gamplay can be great in daytime levels and touchy in nightime levels, but the graphics and music is awesome. The length of the game is about 10+ hours, and are both for fun and pain. Sega is stupid about delisting this game, because they need to re-realase this game, but making the werehog levels like in Sonic & the Secret Rings, and do the framerate at aThis game is not really bad. The gamplay can be great in daytime levels and touchy in nightime levels, but the graphics and music is awesome. The length of the game is about 10+ hours, and are both for fun and pain. Sega is stupid about delisting this game, because they need to re-realase this game, but making the werehog levels like in Sonic & the Secret Rings, and do the framerate at a good speed, and also making the daytime levels longer and the nightime levels shorter. I'm giving this game an 8 for all these reasons. Expand
  24. Oct 29, 2013
    When I am downloading a new game on my PC, I like to play this game. It's really fun and they did and excellent job on the fighting. Some people may not like the new fighting, but I don't really mind.
  25. Jul 12, 2015
    this game is perfect for what he came to be...
    it's well divided between day and night stages
    day stages for the Sonic unique style fans
    and night stages for the new fans
    the game the awesome on both gameplays
    have a GREAT story making you wanting more
  26. Oct 17, 2015
    One of the Best Sonic games I have ever played. The Day stages are fun to play since you're running everywhere at the speed of sound. I don't see why people have problem with the night stages. I actually like smashing stuff and fighting. It may appeal to fighting game fans. The cutscenes are somewhat goofy and funny. I see this as one of the best sonic games. Keep in mind this is my own opinion.
  27. Dec 27, 2013
    This game is quite a pleasant surprise. With its smart level design, fluid controls, and breathtaking graphics, Unleashed may be the greatest Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
  28. May 13, 2015
    I'm surprised alot of of people gave this a good review. ive heard people hate this game. but i dont see why the do. the where hog. where should i start. He was actually my favorite part about this game. He controls great, the parkour and puzzle is great, (and i love puzzle games) but my love for puzzles makes me not enjoy the speed as much. But i can not say the speed sections wereI'm surprised alot of of people gave this a good review. ive heard people hate this game. but i dont see why the do. the where hog. where should i start. He was actually my favorite part about this game. He controls great, the parkour and puzzle is great, (and i love puzzle games) but my love for puzzles makes me not enjoy the speed as much. But i can not say the speed sections were terrible. They were Amazing. my love for puzzle does not get in the way very much for how much i love the sonic (gotta go fast) speed. i think it is a good balance between them and they are both really fun. this is one of the BEST SONIC GAMES EVER AND IT NEED MORE LOVE!!! PEOPLE THE WEREHOG IS NOT THAT BAD. IF your on the wii version you can complain. there is too much were hog and to little move variety. and the sonic ring boost meter really just upgrades it's self. there is no use for upgrading it at all. just get the xbox version. IT IS SO MUCH FUN!!! Expand
  29. Jun 28, 2016
    An incredibly underrated adventure. The daytime stages are incredibly exhilarating, have tons of replay value, and really yells out "Sonic the Hedgehog". However, the night stages are slightly tedious, but I have grown accustomed to them over time. This is a fantastic adventure with tight controls, incredible soundtrack, awesome story, amazing graphics, this isn't an adventure to miss out on.
  30. Nov 27, 2015
    One of Sonic's best.
    Great gameplay
    Amazing graphics
    Awesome mechanics
    Cool story

Its just everything we want from sonic
    Just two proplems though
    Day time sonic has a werid jump which makes platforming hard sometimes and the werehog can sometimes be a bit stiff but overall it a fantastic sonic game
  31. May 2, 2016
    This was the first game in the Sonic franchise that started to save it's reputation after the big failure of Sonic The Hedgehog 2006, sadly, it's pretty underrated. What really makes this game are the amazing graphics, great cut-scenes, fun day stages, storyline and Chip. The night stages are actually okay. It might be a bit boring, but it was a pretty unique idea for the franchise, and itThis was the first game in the Sonic franchise that started to save it's reputation after the big failure of Sonic The Hedgehog 2006, sadly, it's pretty underrated. What really makes this game are the amazing graphics, great cut-scenes, fun day stages, storyline and Chip. The night stages are actually okay. It might be a bit boring, but it was a pretty unique idea for the franchise, and it helped to it's timeless storyline Sonic team went through. The only problem I got with the game is the RPG system... which is pretty unnecessary. The rest, it's great.

Final rank: 8.5/10 (Great)
  32. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic Unleashed is a very good attempt to bring Sonic back and it succeeds to me find out why. The story is quite simple but kind of funny with chip/ light gaia what happens is Dr.Eggman has lured Sonic into a trap to suck the energy of the chaos emeralds and shoot at the earth to wake up Dark Gaia so he can rule the world and call Eggmanland after that the rest of the story is simple just restoring chaos emeralds finding out what happens and learning more about Chip.
    The graphics in this game are fantastic it looks like it is Disney the only problem which is one of the reasons why I lowered it to 9 is the frame-rate issues later on like abadat. The game-play is almost perfect in the day time the only problem is the unresponsive at times jump button and the werehog is good despite what people say the only problem i find is his balancing and the spike part in empire city but I can ease that now.
    Time for one of the best parts music nearly every single track is memorable the main ones are endless possibilities by Jaret Raddick , Rooftop Run and cool edge.
    The bosses are easy except for the quicktime event in perfect dark gaia mash the x button 60 times is too much i say but it does get easier.
    I liked the aeroplane sections not that bad it was fun to shoot at ships and watch the beautiful view The bad is frame-rate sometimes drop, quicktime events over done, the shooting part kind of , unresponsive at times
  33. Nov 16, 2015
    This game deserves a score of 10 was the best game and downtrodden franchise, I'm sick of this fandom, I want all of you die. Sincerely I wish there Sonic Team did more games like this.
  34. Jul 9, 2016
    This game honestly craps on the game that came out before, Sonic 06 and while many do criticize the werehogs combat, I think it works and there are many combos that you can kill enemies with. And the day time stages just blow your mind away with the speed that sonic goes.
  35. rbee
    Aug 9, 2009
    First my take, then my 10 year old son's take. We bought an Xbox 360 very, very recently and loaded up on a few essential dad-kid games before leaving the store, unconcerned about reviews or seeing gameplay in action. For me, a few red flags were raised during the opening sequence and later in the game was a bit bored by the nighttime werehog elements but so far have not been First my take, then my 10 year old son's take. We bought an Xbox 360 very, very recently and loaded up on a few essential dad-kid games before leaving the store, unconcerned about reviews or seeing gameplay in action. For me, a few red flags were raised during the opening sequence and later in the game was a bit bored by the nighttime werehog elements but so far have not been troubled by them beyond fact they are different. It is certainly true that I would have passed on the game had I see those elements in action at the gamestore or online, and especially if they were not plastered with the Sonic brand. My son, on the other hand, is still thrilled. In fact, he preferred the slower and what he called "Kingdom Hearty" gameplay as werehog Sonic, and felt more like he was progressing in a game with a character he could build. Speeding through levels hje gets flustered and disinterested, gains and loses coins at random, and has no reason to feel nostalgic. His first exposure to Sonic in game form, beyond images of older Sega titles in magazines, was actually Super Smash Bros (Wii). (His first exposure to Mario was Galaxy, as well.) I feel that this Sonic game is a fantastic balance. The developers have gotten their slaps on the wrist in sales and are making up for things bit by bit to classic gamers by releasing DLC, but I don't think they've put a foot wrong here. Another thing to consider about my review: we live in Japan, and the Japanese release of the game is in both Japanese and English. Perhaps so are other versions. This makes the game particularly exotic to one or both of us, as having the ability to log in under two gamertags with save games in two languages and spice up the experience. It's rather like watching a classic Disney film get remade in a foreign language -- interesting and bizarre and much easier to accept. Expand
  36. AaronMayorga
    Nov 30, 2008
    The Daytime are very fast and awesome especially on the new Hedgehog Engine by Sega.The Nighttime stages are a very important asset to the game. They may have a slower tempo but the stages are very large and interesting.The music once again beautiful especially the final boss theme. It is a very great game at heart and you should by it.
  37. MikeG
    Dec 3, 2008
    Great game with some frustration in the mix. A lot of reviews are bashing the werehog like it's unplayable, while it is different and sometimes frustrating (instadeaths ruining your rank) it's not terrible. The daytime levels are the best gameplay Sonic has had since his 2D era keeping both speed and platforming in mind. I'm not sure why reviews are giving the game aGreat game with some frustration in the mix. A lot of reviews are bashing the werehog like it's unplayable, while it is different and sometimes frustrating (instadeaths ruining your rank) it's not terrible. The daytime levels are the best gameplay Sonic has had since his 2D era keeping both speed and platforming in mind. I'm not sure why reviews are giving the game a mediocre score when the game is very good, the werehog breaks up the pace a bit but that's not always bad. Expand
  38. LaurenAnderson
    May 1, 2009
    A solid platformer that displays a master of the classic Sonic gameplay as well as the best gameplay alternative the 3D games have ever seen. The game is the most technically advanced and clean of the 3D Sonic games, but still suffers from a lack of polish later in the game in the form of slowdown, pop-up, and general bugs.
  39. JSnott!
    Dec 6, 2008
    Don't let harsh reviewers such as as IGN fool you. This is a good game. The Sonic levels are top notch and the werehog levels are fun too. The only thing that really put me off about this game is that the platforming of the werehog levels gets to be pretty frustrating. This will probably go down as the most underrated sonic game ever.
  40. Hbran456
    Dec 30, 2008
    Sonic Unleashed is SEGA's latest attempt at making a fun and interesting Sonic game, and the good thing is...they have succeeded. The game is split into two main parts, night and day, which most people already know. The day sections feature our favorite super sonic hedgehog, in one of his most enjoyable outings yet. The countdown starts at the beginning of the stage, Sonic yells Sonic Unleashed is SEGA's latest attempt at making a fun and interesting Sonic game, and the good thing is...they have succeeded. The game is split into two main parts, night and day, which most people already know. The day sections feature our favorite super sonic hedgehog, in one of his most enjoyable outings yet. The countdown starts at the beginning of the stage, Sonic yells "GO!" and you are sent screaming through the level. The controls are flawless, the framerate rarely dips, and for the first time in years the camera is amazing. The drift mechanic and the speed boost are welcomed additions. Drift lets you skid around corners at high speeds and speed boost (my personal favorite) makes you go crazy fast and is terrific fun. The second these stages started I got a huge smile on my face and I began to remember what a good Sonic game was all about. When the night stages started, however, my smile slowly faded. In night stages you play as a slow werehog, which isnt nearly as fun as Sonic, but...it's not that bad. Compared to the day stages, yes, they are slow, clunky, and sort of repetitive. But after a while, you get used to it and it is quite fun. Overall, Sonic Unleashed is a a must-buy for any Sonic fan, and I reccomend it to anyone who wants to play a fun and exhilarating game. Lets face it, there is just something amazing about running really, really freaking fast. Expand
  41. MarcusL.
    Jan 23, 2009
    Sonic Unleashed is an awesome game. No, that's not going to be the ENTIRE review. But let me explain why. Firstly, the day stages. Every review I've seen praises these stages greatly, since they are reminicent of the good old 90's Sonic games. Addtionaly, Griffith's voice has improved. Massively. As does Amy Palant's Tails voice. Now, he sounds like a boy. Sonic Unleashed is an awesome game. No, that's not going to be the ENTIRE review. But let me explain why. Firstly, the day stages. Every review I've seen praises these stages greatly, since they are reminicent of the good old 90's Sonic games. Addtionaly, Griffith's voice has improved. Massively. As does Amy Palant's Tails voice. Now, he sounds like a boy. FINALLY. Now, the night stages, the biggest downside. According to most. The night stages are great. Yes, they are repetitve and yes, can be annoying. But there is a ton of ways you can complete the stage. Trying out new combos, finding stuff, and all that jazz. Also, Chip. Another downer. But, actually, on the 360 version, you rarely hear him. Not that it's a good thing. Chip is a great addition. All in all, Sonic Unleashed shows one thing. Sonic is back and better than ever, after a 7 year 'break'. Fingers crossed for Black Knight, eh? Expand
  42. Cole
    Feb 19, 2009
    You know, this game really took way too much flak. I'll admit, when saw the first trailer of werehog gameplay, I thought it was by far the dumbest Sonic gimmick SEGA had come up with yet. But I checked the game out, and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I daresay the daytime stages of this game are Sonic at his absolute best, and even the werehog stages are decently fun. It's You know, this game really took way too much flak. I'll admit, when saw the first trailer of werehog gameplay, I thought it was by far the dumbest Sonic gimmick SEGA had come up with yet. But I checked the game out, and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I daresay the daytime stages of this game are Sonic at his absolute best, and even the werehog stages are decently fun. It's by no means perfect, but given Sonic's recent fiascos, this is definitely a return to his roots and a huge step in the right direction. Expand
  43. Nick
    Apr 14, 2009
    One of the Best Sonic games ever!! I enjoyed the daytime levels!! They are fast and fun. Nighttime levels are okay. There were 2 Nighttime levels that I hated. The rest were good, though. The graphics are amazing, and it has a good soundtrack. Overall, I'd give it an 8 out of 10
  44. EXshad
    Nov 24, 2008
    Though there the loading times from hell are back from Sonic's last 360 outing, there are some control issues with the werehog, and the plot is kinda thin, this is the best console Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2. By day, it's fast, insane, high-speed fun, made better thanks to perfect controls and a fluid frame-rate, and by night, it's a...decent to somewhat good Though there the loading times from hell are back from Sonic's last 360 outing, there are some control issues with the werehog, and the plot is kinda thin, this is the best console Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2. By day, it's fast, insane, high-speed fun, made better thanks to perfect controls and a fluid frame-rate, and by night, it's a...decent to somewhat good brawler that is fun once you learn the ropes, but will leave you wanting to play as normal Sonic again since night stages are long. Still, both forms of Sonic are fun to play as in their own way. The hubs are back, but don't interfere with the gameplay, but rather, simply provide extra optional missions and shops to boost the replay value. They're linear this time and straight-forward, so Sonic won't get lost and it's easy to find your way out of there when you get sick of it. Oh, and for the first time in a 3D Sonic game, the camera is fantastic and dynamic. I seriously recommend this game to any Sonic fan with the system, and everyone else should check it out, maybe even buy it outright if you just want to play a new, GOOD 3D Sonic game. Expand
  45. Jan 16, 2014
    Sonic Unleashed is one of the best games I have ever played( call me crazy). The day time stages were really fun and fast paced. The night time stages offered a lot of plat forming and combat. I think the gameplay really was balanced. The graphics were extremely amazing. The music, as always, was really fantastic. The hub worlds were small and quite interesting in my opinion. There areSonic Unleashed is one of the best games I have ever played( call me crazy). The day time stages were really fun and fast paced. The night time stages offered a lot of plat forming and combat. I think the gameplay really was balanced. The graphics were extremely amazing. The music, as always, was really fantastic. The hub worlds were small and quite interesting in my opinion. There are many side quests in the game and the story was great. The voice acting was the best Sonic voice acting I ever heard. This was Jason Griffith at his greatest folks. Sonic was super duper fast in this game and featured quick time events. The quick time events didn't bother me one bit but they were really easy. I think this game is worth a shot if you enjoy controlling Sonic at high speeds and love a plat forming. Don't let big time critics fool you, this was one OUTSTANDING game. You should give it a try. Expand
  46. Jul 9, 2014
    Even though some of the reviews say this game is bad it is far from that. the only bad thing about this game is collecting sun and moon medals to unlock levels and the final level. other than that the day stages are incredible. the night stages while some can be very long they can be very fun. imo this is the best looking sonic game ever. the music as always is amazing. I lovedEven though some of the reviews say this game is bad it is far from that. the only bad thing about this game is collecting sun and moon medals to unlock levels and the final level. other than that the day stages are incredible. the night stages while some can be very long they can be very fun. imo this is the best looking sonic game ever. the music as always is amazing. I loved leveling up sonic and the werehog either to go even faster as sonic or be stronger or be able to unleashed new moves as the werehog. this is a sonic game you will go back to play the day stages maybe even some of the night stages. this is one of the best sonic games of all time. Expand
  47. Aug 14, 2014
    I really do not see why no one likes the Werehog. I think that it's great the Sega has finally added something NEW to a Sonic game. The controls and camera are perfect, the story is great and, well, absolutely everything in it is awesome! You get an open world to explore, fun and fast daytime levels, and then the EXTREMELY cool night time levels. There's so much more to say about it... ButI really do not see why no one likes the Werehog. I think that it's great the Sega has finally added something NEW to a Sonic game. The controls and camera are perfect, the story is great and, well, absolutely everything in it is awesome! You get an open world to explore, fun and fast daytime levels, and then the EXTREMELY cool night time levels. There's so much more to say about it... But I think I've already made my point on how awesome it is! xD Expand
  48. Feb 1, 2015
    This game has amazing gameplay, graphics, music everything comes together nicely in it. It's fun and delivers slight variety but keeps everything you love about sonic in it 10/10 BESTEST GAME EVA
  49. Apr 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! The story begins with Eggman/Robotnik trying to split Earth into 7 pieces (and suceeding) releasing Dark Gaia, powering his blaster, and turning Sonic into the Werehog. He crashes to earth, causing Light Gaia to have amnesia and forget his name. After the cutscene that that happens, you get gameplay. There's 2 kinds of gameplay: daytime and nighttime. The first 2 levels are daytime, the next level is nighttime, then a daytime level, repeat the cycle. The Werehog levels are beat-em'-up levels, and they're pretty fun. Daytime levels are just normal Sonic levels with the Homing Attack and stuff. But my opinion is that you should play it, but Eggmanland is SO hard. Expand
  50. Zay
    Dec 5, 2015
    This is probably the greatest sonic game ever. And not just because the music and graphics look like something that Pixar made, but because in other sonic games sonic is pretty fast ,but the speed in unleashed is through the roof. Just try not to lose your mind while playing rooftop run. And the night time levels are like God of War so if you don't like the werehog you don't like kratos.This is probably the greatest sonic game ever. And not just because the music and graphics look like something that Pixar made, but because in other sonic games sonic is pretty fast ,but the speed in unleashed is through the roof. Just try not to lose your mind while playing rooftop run. And the night time levels are like God of War so if you don't like the werehog you don't like kratos. But they aren't exactly god of war, just try it! Expand
  51. May 16, 2012

1. As much as I disliked lumbering through levels as Sonic’s hulky Werehog, I disliked hunting through the hub worlds looking for coins even more. Sega, if you really want to fix Sonic, the first thing you should do is stop trying to fix him.
    Ultimately, this simply isn't the fresh start Sonic fans were so desperately hoping for...but at least it's not as execrable as the last two efforts.
  3. Sonic Unleashed is a glorious return to true console form for Sonic.