Spec Ops: The Line Xbox 360

8.2

1. Jun 29, 2012
    Spec ops the line is just one of hunders rpg ported from consoles into pc.
    Gameplay wise its pretty boring and to easy since basicly console gamers arent that fast compared to pc gamers.
    Graphics are average even on pc. So if this game would cost 20 or so on steam it would be a good price for it, only 50 in steam is just overpriced to hell. Therefor a 6 , its not that bad its just
    Spec ops the line is just one of hunders rpg ported from consoles into pc.
    Graphics are average even on pc.
    Therefor a 6 , its not that bad its just nothing special.
  2. Sep 9, 2012
    This is... okay. The story's decent and not gripping at all. Gameplay is sort of like Gears of War, witch does not work as well. Multiplayer is alright, nothing great like Battlefield's multiplayer. I was hopping it would be great but it not. Spec Ops: The Line 6.4/10
  3. Jul 11, 2012
    This game was alright, In no way shape or form is it a "Sandbox" game. The only thing that even relates to sand is the desert itself. The storyline however, is captivating. It puts you in the shoes of your character. I am not going to say to much because I do not want to spoil anything. All and all, this game is a good game, decent shooter, decent graphics. The only disappointing thingThis game was alright, In no way shape or form is it a "Sandbox" game. The only thing that even relates to sand is the desert itself. The storyline however, is captivating. It puts you in the shoes of your character. I am not going to say to much because I do not want to spoil anything. All and all, this game is a good game, decent shooter, decent graphics. The only disappointing thing about it is the fact that they said a "sandbox" game and how your decisions effect your outcome. The only outcome it effects is which achievement you get. Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2012
    Interesting story, average gunplay, good lighting and graphics.
    Didn't expect much but the single player is quite additive, when i played COD:MW3s single player it was just here we go again but Spec Ops: The Line has it's own style and is a nice change.
  5. Oct 25, 2015
    Unique plot and setting marred by unnecessary padding. Each chapter is polluted with sections where you fight large number of soldiers that go all out on you. There is only so many times I can hide behind cover and shoot the same generic bad guy in the head. The pacing is also pretty uneven, leaving room for boredom. I think it's overrated as a whole.
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Meh. That's all I really got from this game. This game seemed to be somewhat of a vanilla version of Rainbow Six Vegas 2, but your team isn't as controllable as it was in that one. The game play was very linear, and it was basically just a constant reply of get to a zone, take cover, kill people, move on. Painfully long loading screens, wonky AI, and overusage of what is quickly becoming synonymous with many FPS story lines.....disassociative/hallucinogenic cutscenes. Didn't really wow me, although some parts of the game were marked with some "wtf" moments (in a good way). Could have some replayability to it, but I'm probably not going to. This was a one play through-er. Expand
  7. Mar 3, 2013
    For a fan of shooters, the ease of gameplay may be a big deterrent. However, and seeing as today's games are further breaking the boundaries of story, this one reaches for the sky and beyond. A well orchestrated story with character, fleshed out and at times dramatically surrendering. A simpleton with a pension for KVD and the Call of Duty series could never enjoy a game like this. ThoughFor a fan of shooters, the ease of gameplay may be a big deterrent. However, and seeing as today's games are further breaking the boundaries of story, this one reaches for the sky and beyond. A well orchestrated story with character, fleshed out and at times dramatically surrendering. A simpleton with a pension for KVD and the Call of Duty series could never enjoy a game like this. Though for those who want a little experimentation in exposition, as well as an interesting Apocalypse Now aesthetic, this game may very well be for you. *4 out of 5 stars." Expand
  8. Oct 30, 2015
    Let's just say that I can't think of a better example of why you shouldn't give any importance to critic's review. This is one of the smoothest single player campaign of the last generation, with an engaging story and characters.
  9. May 23, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm suprpised this game is borderline obscure with poor sales. It's a shooter that has you playing as one of three marines who are sent out to Dubai to figure out what happened to civilization out there. You're all alone out there and you have to fight against the forces of evil to survive. But are things the way they seem? I don't want to spoil anything major (even though I checked the "spoilers box") but things aren't always as hey seem and there really aren't any good guys in this game. The shooting mechanics generally work well and the sandy environments look nice. It's the story that's the real attraction here. Still, nothing is particularly great and the multiplayer is pretty average. If you can buy it on sale (I bought the digital copy for around six dollars), do so if you enjoy dark stories and third-person shooting. Expand
  10. Jan 21, 2013
    Going into this game, I was already aware that the story was based on the book, The Heart of Darkness. Knowing this, my interest was piqued as I played through the campaign and was absolutely amazed by the plot of this game. As Delta Squad delves further into the city of Dubai, they are gradually changed by the horrors of war as their mission to save the civilians only gets worse. I'm notGoing into this game, I was already aware that the story was based on the book, The Heart of Darkness. Knowing this, my interest was piqued as I played through the campaign and was absolutely amazed by the plot of this game. As Delta Squad delves further into the city of Dubai, they are gradually changed by the horrors of war as their mission to save the civilians only gets worse. I'm not going to add any spoilers as I believe this is a story best told through the game itself.

I'll just go right ahead and say this first. The gameplay is NOT the focus of this game. This is a thinking man's game in the sense that it has it's own message and acts as one big commentary on the modern war genre of shooting games. If you're coming at this game thinking that this is some extravaganza of guns and fun in the sand, think again. The gameplay does what it's supposed to and not much more. The guns feel rather "meh" with the exception of a few overpowered hand-cannons that you wouldn't want to drop if it weren't for the scarcity of ammo throughout the game. The AI is also functional but prone to moments of stupidity. You do have the ability to give your squad orders, but it's rather limited for the most part. Everything works fine, but it's easy to tell that it's the story that's the highlight of the game.

As you continue to play the tones throughout the game gradually shift, turning darker, cynical, and more violent to reflect the squads' (especially Walker's) degrading mental states. The executions, which start as basic neck stomps and a quick shot to the head soon turn into savage beat downs and forcing a gun barrel into the struggling victim's mouth. Walker's orders also shift from being a professional to him breaking down to barking orders with no shortage of profanity.

To put things simply, this game gets disturbing. You're often forced into moral choices with no positive outcome and you're made to live with the consequences. And boy, are there consequences. There are moments in this game that hit you like a hammer as the game brutally ( and mockingly) reminds you that everything that has happened is entirely your fault. The game even outright tells you to stop playing if you don't want things to get any worse. The ending in Spec Ops is one of the best of any video game that I've seen in a very long time. Despite being based off a book (that I've read, no less), it's still so well executed that I can't help but be amazed by it. Definitely not something you want spoiled for you.

1. Aug 11, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line turned out to be a genuinely nice surprise, is designed for people over 18, not only by the constant shooting scenes but also for the tone, mature theme and psychologically demanding posture.
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Aug 8, 2012
    From around the halfway mark onwards, The Line is a gripping, at time harrowing, and unforgettable experience. [Sept 2012, p.66]
  3. Aug 6, 2012
    It may not be winning any awards, that's not to say that this is one of the most captivating shooters currently available to Xbox 360 users. The morality of your choices has never been so well presented as they are in Spec Ops: The Line and for that reason alone it's a game that everyone should experience, if only for a few short hours.