7.5

1. Aug 21, 2013
    I can't say that any of the features of this game are better or more intense or the next big thing the game is just basically AN AMAZING FREAKING ZOMBIE GAME. And it's open world. So you just can't go wrong.
  2. Jul 1, 2013
    I've been waiting for an open-world zombie game ever since Activision canceled "Dead Rush" at the beginning of this PS3/360 console generation. This is the game I'd hoped to get.

"State of Decay" does just about everything right. Instead of relying on cinematics to tell the story and impress the player with a sense of drama and urgency, the gameplay itself manages to keep the player
    engaged and immersed in the world Undead Labs has created. Scavenging, sneaking, and fighting, players must try and keep their ever-depleting stock of supplies from dwindling to nothing.

Most notably, rather than playing a single character, players much change between various members of their community due to fatigue or death, which allows playing different ways with different characters, due to each one's specific abilities.

This game would be a perfect 10 for me, but it has some jarring camera problems, frequent framerate chugging, and a number of bugs which made it difficult to keep my base going. However, it's not enough to dock a point for it, and this is the best XBLA title I've ever played.
  3. Jun 16, 2013
    This is an excellent game. It has several technical issues with frame rate etc. but they don't interfere with the gameplay. The amount of content and depth makes buying this for 20$ a no brainer.
  4. Jun 6, 2013
    A "perfect 10" might seem excessive for a game which is, admittedly, plagued by bugs of every stripe and color. But some rough edges do not detract--at least in any terminal way--from the fact that this is probably one of the most ambitious games we have seen on consoles in years. The combat, while not in the league of Dark Souls is solid, and the base-building and survival aspects all come together to create an experience that is taxing on the nerves, intellect, and reflexes in an absolutely delightful way. This is the closest you will ever want to get to a real zombie apocalypse. Expand
  5. Jun 5, 2013
    This game was a blast, it was more another persons try on dead rising or a Day z for people who don't like to watch paint dry. For the price you are getting a great deal.
  6. Jun 18, 2013
    Best twenty dollar game ever. Finally a zombie game that's more about survival then talking to people. Very good rpg elements and home base strategy. It has broke arcade download records. Ten million since release is amazing.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    This game deserves the rating I am giving it because, 1. It's fairly cheap and 2. it's different. The zombie genre has seem to become stale and predictable over the last 10 years and the most recent addition 'Dead Island' while fun, was not as good as hyped up to be. What sets this game apart from the others is choice. What do I mean by choice, do you mean what weapons will you use and equipment? Yes, but I'm also alluding to the element of real survival. The game play in this small arcade title is one of the most unique I have seen in the zombie franchise. You have to build a fortress, and keep it secure. You have to collect food, medical supplies and ammo for your 'community' to survive; and that's just topping the iceberg. With this game you can literally go in any house and scavenge or find something random.

For example I was in town on a supply run for the base when I came across a house and I heard gun shots inside. Two of my other survivors who I had saved were also on a supply run but were getting trapped. When I entered the house they were dead. Now if I had gone back before and saved them they would of trusted me more and I would gain more influence around the base camp.
    So as you can see.. this is just one small example of the choices and decisions you have to make in this zombie 'survival' game.
  8. Jun 6, 2013
    Fantastic game that really really surprised me! I was expecting a WarZ style of fail, but this game is alot of fun and well worth the money. The only issues I have with the game is the clipping of teammates and zombies and some FPS dips. Still, a few technical issues hasn't stopped me from having a blast with State Of Decay! With a bit more polish and a bit more funding we could have a Top notch sereis on our hands!

Go buy this ASAP, very fun!
  9. Apr 15, 2014
    This game is amazing, original and much better than last of us, because you have more freedom in it. Is worth it to get an xbox just to play this piece of art
  10. Sep 30, 2013
    The only thing about this game i do not like is that it has only about 20 Hours of Content. Yes, its a sandbox and you can play it as long as you want. But when the story is mostly over the game and the radio-chatter gets very, very silent.

I really don't understand this. The missions are very simple, with a few lines of spoken text and ingame graphics. Why are there not more of this
    missions or even random missions to stretch it a little bit?

Its a design flaw to limit such a potentially everlasting gameplay experience just because there are not enough random mission types to bring some diversity into the game :(

A construction set would be a blast.

However... since the game was pure fun for 20 hours and only costs 20€ i give this game anyway a 10. I just want more of it. :D
  11. Jun 5, 2013
    good game way better then WarZ even better then dayZ but of course it is coz dayz is a mod anyways this game kicks ass
  12. Jun 9, 2013
    "Best the Walking Dead Game ever!" ops, it's not twd... but is FANTASTIC!

Lots of things to do, people to rescue and zombies to kill and it's just a XBLA game. I'm just thinking of this game with an engine like GTA IV or V and a FREE ROAM OR COOP MULTIPLAYER GOTY on a blink of an eye.

Resources gathering, Characters Build and Home base improvement! Very cool.
  13. Jun 6, 2013
    Anyone who paid $60 for Dead Island or Left 4 Dead should feel pretty well ripped off by now. This game is $20, and is an objective-based, open world game with a solid narrative to boot. The frame rate drops, but I doubt you'll even care much once the ball gets rolling in this game. You have $20 to spend on a zombie survival game, so do yourself a favor and spend it here.
  14. Jun 22, 2013
    First of I'd like to say this is what a Walking Dead game SHOULD have been! Like a previous reviewer said this is the best sandbox zombie game I've ever played. Its a big like Dead Rising but minus the stupid timer and comedy. I'll tell you right now though it certainly isn't the prettiest game ever made but the depth of the game is insane. Its not just a game filled with boring fetch quests, there is so much you can do even little things like barricading a window with a hammer, board and nails made me smile because stuff like this is so often over looked. You can play as different characters who all have specific skills and you always have to be on guard when a character dies they are dead for good. It really makes your choices impactful. If you have character X all buffed up with killer stats and you get over run by a horde and that character dies it can reallly effect your game. Some might think this is unfair or what not but I feel it makes the game all that more realistic. For being an XBLA game you are getting more content then most triple A $60 games out there these days.. No 4 hour snooze fest like Metal Gear Rising or Halo 4's short campaign. For the price of the game it is seriously worth its weight in GOLD. The game isn't perfect though as it has some minor clipping issues and the voice acting (ie how their mouths move when speaking) isn't the greatest but that aside I would recommend this game to ANYONE who even has a remote interest in zombies. Its refreshing to finally play a DECENT zombie survival title. In closing the last thing I can tell you is if you buy this DO NOT use your credit card information over XBL. I've had my identity stolen 3 times now because of this. Expand
  15. Jul 14, 2013
    I got the South African version of the game yesterday after a long wait and it's absolutely worthe every microsoft point in the price. One of the best zombie games yet, competing with the full retail likes of dead rising, dead island and left for dead! Love the game structure, and regular patches fixing all the major and finar flaws which caused bad review scores. Get this game NOW!
  16. Jun 6, 2013
    This is by far the best zombie game ever created. Not only is it open world sandbox it also mixes rpg, resource and community management, and it all works fantastically. This has to be Xbox arcade game of the year. It's ambitious and lives up to it promises of being a realistically fun zombie game that you would be brain dead to not buy this! It's only $20 btw soo worth it!!
  17. Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic game, better and much deeper than I ever expected. I've played several zombie games, but I find this one much more enjoyable than the big budget ones. Contrary to some of the criticism I've read on the net, I love the perma-death feature. Most games today are far too forgiving and as a result, don't create the tense moments that this game delivers. Perma-death will make you think twice before you attack a herd of zombies, or take a newbie character out far from the base. To the whiners about it being too hard, grow a pair. Great job Undead Labs! Expand
  18. Jun 8, 2013
    Perfect 10 this game is not, but I have it a 10 for the fact this game gave Me totally unique experiences I've never had in gaming & I've been gaming since original NES!!! So assuming you know what the game is about I'll set up the premise of My experience...I'm about 10-12hrs into the game, I've finally moved bases & My main character Marcus (the guy you start with) is fully maxed & a real badass. It's late night during the zombie apocalypse & I'm cruising in what looks like a sweet 67 chevelle ss or something similar. My car is slightly on fire but nowhere near exploding & I was being cautious avoiding zombies as to not further damage My sweet muscle car that I was planning on parking so My workshop could do some repairs overnight. Low & behold I'm going down a dark road & the frickin road runs out & I crash into a deep ravine upon which My car explodes & Marcus, the main zombie slayer of My crew, dies instantly. I was in utter shock. Once it wore off I realized how amazingly cool this game truly is for providing Me such a powerful moment in gaming history!!! Totally unique, never felt anything quite like it. I could of course just have continued without him, but therein lies the genius of State of Decay. I WANTED to start a new game, I wanted to take all My knowledge gained & apply it again in a fresh play through & make sure My main man Marcus didnt make such a painfully tragic mid-game death, & so I went back to menu & pressed "start new game" & was never happier to be replaying it all over again for a better result. Now about 8hrs in I'm further than I was before & Marcus is alive & kicking major ass!!! This game isn't technically flawless, but it has so much under the hood you can easily forgive a few scratches in the paint!!!

Please support Undead Labs!!!! This game MUST be added onto & made into the superb MMO it is meant to be!!!! Fair warning: atmosphere & emotion drive this game, if you are a boring person who finds no pleasure in danger, fear of death, & constant conflict in gaming then go back to your linear & predictable big-name franchises & let the game hold your hand til your dead. This is a balls-to-the-wall survival-horror rpg that plays like a run-down GTA. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! You may want to play some more CoD or Gears until you're 90, but I'm supporting FRESH IDEAS & the companies that TAKE RISKS to offer bold new gameplay!!!
  19. Jun 12, 2013
    Very intresting game. when i started playing i coundt stop for a few hours. And next day i started it over because of my stupidity which costed me the death of Maya and Marcus
  20. Jun 5, 2013
    Without a doubt in my mind the best zombie game I've ever played. The game feels nice, looks nice, and plays nice. Definitely one for the zombie killer in all of us. I strongly recommend it.
  21. Jun 17, 2013
    Best zombie survival game ever! I love the combination of resource-management, building your base and go for raids! The game has a very immersive atmosphere and you will never know what comes next. So be prepared
  22. Jun 8, 2013
    I have been playing Dayz and such for a long time and it's gotten really boring. This game had revived the Zombie franchise for me. I like this game because of it's realism for example if a survivor dies they die for good etc...

All in all this game is an very good open world Zombie survival game with amazing and beautiful graphics for an Xbox. It has very few bugs only one I found so
    far was a zombie merging through a tent. P.S. I can't wait for this to come to PC :D Expand
  23. Jun 5, 2013
    Such a fun game to play! So much content and things to do and the fact that it's an Xbox Live Arcade game blows my mind. A must get for all zombie fans. Something original, fresh and and new.
  24. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed everything the game was day z and war z That be and is not, because the only problem in the game for me and the game is not coop, why was this game and perfect upon history. excellent advise playing game Expand
  25. Jun 5, 2013
    Just plain simple fun with nice game play all wrapped up in a $20 XBLA downloadable with plenty to do and with solid interactions with the AI this game is a must have for any one who loves the Zombie-Survival genre
  26. Jun 6, 2013
    Best sandbox game I've ever played. A true zombie survival game.After playing for hours i have lost only 1 survivor and i learned you have to be careful and don't bash every zombie you see. As for the downs. Boarding up windows for me just delays finishing off a zombie attack on your neighbors and the frame rates is little off sometimes. But it doesn't bother my game play at all. I love that you can run out of supplies in the town and cars don't re-spawn. Once an item or survivor is gone, they are gone. Making this a true survival game. Leveling up is excellent. There is always something to do. Mission, building friendship and moral, and just scavenging for supplies. All this just for 20$. Expand
  27. Jun 10, 2013
    [Pros] -Driving over zombies is tons of fun -Every building is scavengable for items and resources -Perma-death (while painful, it adds a lot to the game) -Noise attracts zombies (stealth is important) -Rpg elements with characters -Upgradable home base -Special zombies that aren't too crazy but are more fun -Hours and hours of gameplay [Cons] -Graphics aren't impressive
    -Lower framerate at times
    -Some gameplay bugs here and there
    -Some missions repeat themselves after a while

After having played for 15+ hours, I have to say that I've gotten my moneys worth. I still haven't beaten the game, but still enjoying exploring and killing zombies. There are technical issues here and there, but they are releasing a patch that should fix some of them. Try it out and it'll suck you in!
  28. Jun 15, 2013
    As a cheap arcade title, this game is worth every penny. It is a step in the right direction for that perfect open world zombie survival game that we have all been waiting for. If Undead Labs continues on doing what they originally implied, then this game is the starting point to a zombie survival MMO called "Class 4" for PC and Xbox 360. The element of survival is always there. Never go out alone in concentrated areas or you will never make it. The depth of this game is unprecedented when it comes to weapons, skills, base creation, etc. I give this game a 10 simply because it is a steal for the price. But it does have a few minor issues such as frame rate and lag when entering new areas. Also the combat is a bit lackluster. But this stuff is very easy to overlook once you start getting in to it. Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2013
    Truly an amazing game. Combining all of the best elements of other zombie games, this is one of the best games I have played this year. I would have no problem paying $60 for this game, and for only $20, this has to be one of the best deals on the Xbox Live Marketplace.
  30. Nov 29, 2013
    Best zombie game ever made. Feels like your in 'The walking Dead'. Micro management, Permanent character deaths (important because you can switch to these people) permanent vehicle loss. You have to maintain everything. Little missions constantly pop up to distract you from the main incentive (pursuing these can save playable characters lives)

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings
    to develop (med, ammo, sniper nests etc)

Talking to people that are depressed/have issues helps more than you realise

If you send someone on a mission to collect resources they will physically go across the map and attempt to collect and return. You must kit them out well if you dont want them to die. If they die, any resources they collected will drop at the place of death.

Little details like this make this game special.

LOADS of weapons/ammo types/items. Shooting is perfect, the lighting is beautful. Its a reminder of why we play games and where the medium is going.

The start of this game does not do it justice. Keep on playing

1. Oct 7, 2013
    An entertaining zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit rough visually, but makes up for it with a persistent world. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    It's not the most beautiful and polished game, but the end of the world with all it’s small and big problems rarely felt this real.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    The Last of Us meets The Sims, mashed, salted and served with a few lumps. [Oct 2013, p.64]