8.4

1. Mar 29, 2014
    I became so drowned in dialogue that I lost the will to finish this game after 25 hours of playtime.

The battle system is not all that great. In the end, it boils down to pressing attack or a macroed special attack (arte) and hoping that your target doesn't wander off slightly to the side. Flying enemies are a complete pain. "Combos" are unsatisfying and not true combos. It's a matter
    of pressing the right macros in sequence.

This battle system would have been a whole lot better if you were able to actively switch between the four characters on the field at will. Instead you are locked into playing just one, with the option of commanding the others through a clunky menu that pauses the action. There is an option to assign just four attacks from other characters to the game pad, which simply isn't enough. This means you leave most of the action to the computer whilst you mash the attack button and attempt a "combo".

Most of the characters are not fun to play. Yuri is the only one I had fun with; the others are clunky, slow or entirely dependent on TP (which is too onerous to recover and severely disadvantages them against players that can deal damage for free with weapons).

I'm not much of a fan of anime but I found this art style quite charming. The characters are perfect for this type of game, but unfortunately, in my personal opinion, this made them cringeworthy and annoying at times. Estellise was the main offender, but several others were also very cliché. Clearly, this is what anime fans want to see, but for those who are not, the experience becomes very repetitive and one-dimensional. For example, I'm sure fans love that Karol, the young boy, is so excitable yet determined - taking on the role of a leader. But to everyone else, he seems like a child who has become too big for his boots and shrieks a lot. At times I just wanted Yuri (the older, main character) to tell him he needs to grow up and listen to others. Perhaps my real qualm is with the lack of maturity embedded in the characters; e.g. Rita is always stroppy, Estellise is always naive, except for those things she has studied. It creates a setting that is just not enjoyable for anyone but anime fans.

The dialogue was just too frequent, nonsensical and irrelevant. Most of the "skits" (talking head conversations on screen) were entirely for the purpose of character building - great to a degree, but painstaking in excess - especially when several cutscenes are followed by a series of skits. I was sitting there thinking "oh god just shut up" many times towards the end of my experience.

The world is fine and as you would expect, although I would have to say that if you are a masochist determined to complete every section of this game then expect to spend a long time doing it - with the help of guides. From the first battle you are expected to start working towards trophy goals that you will otherwise have to obtain by restarting the game.

The graphics are good, but with an art style like this, I should hope so (I personally prefer photorealistic games, although this art style did work tremendously with this game, for which I give it credit).

The "story" is not so much one linear story with a defined objective, but a narrative about a journey where the goal constantly changes depending on the whims of the party members and the events they encounter. Ultimately, the game feels quite aimless and the desire to go on is seriously reduced - nothing is a surprise/sidequest/setback because there is no overall goal.

I am very disappointed with this game. I think you have to be a die-hard anime fan to enjoy the charm of the characters and world. Personally, I enjoy a battle system that makes me sweat and a story that makes me laugh and cry. Tales of Vesperia does none of those things. It's like being on prozac - everything is just lukewarm. Hence why I give this 5/10. Only die hard anime fans need apply.
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game. The characters, plot and game play all stand as the shining example of what other JRPGs should aim for. One comparison I noticed was to Final Fantasy VII. I think that is an unfair comparison. They are completely different game outside of being JRPGs in Science fantasy settings and one focus each story has. That focus is on how technology can destroy the world. In FFVII, the plot starts off with you playing as eco terrorists who are trying to stop a power plant from abusing the earth's energy. It's one sided, having the energy that's clearly destroying the planet be used for comfort. In Tales of Vesperia, their source of energy, aer, is unknowingly destroying the world due to overuse and the people use it to protect themselves against monsters, not abuse for comfort. The game acknowledges how the energy source is only bad in excess and that an alternative may be necessary to save the world and keep monsters at bay. Tales of Vesperia has a much more in-depth look at environmental damage, whereas FFVII is unsubtle and forgets about that plot point a few hours in. If you're comparing the two games, Tales of Vesperia has the advantage in the only thing they truly have in common outside of setting. Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2014
    Truly one of the best RPG games of all time, and my pick as best JRPG of the last gen consoles, Tales of Vesperia is when the Tales series really started to take off. While riding high on the success of Symphonia, Vesperia introduced widespread changes to alot of the core mechanics of the game while making the experience feel like a classic Tales game. The thing that jumps out the most here is the characters. From the main character Yuri to his canine friend Repede, each character has a certain charm that most games can only dream of having. Their interactions with each other is truly the brightest spot in an already fabulous game and it really sets itself apart because of the now voiced skits. Giving voices to the skits is a huge deal, even if you may not realize it. Going from Symphonia to Vesperia you'll feel a huge difference between the two and the voiced skits give that extra push you need to really care about these characters. The battle system has been tweaked just a bit, adding the ability to move in a 360 angle around the battlefield, which is huge. Plus the strategy it takes to beat some of the missions is helped out immensely by being able to move in every direction. While the ending is a bit campy and the story is anything but original, there's so much to this game that I can take away from its final score because of a story you've seen a thousand other times. This game renewed my interest in JRPG's and the biggest fault I can find here is the fact that we'll never see the best version of it in the states, the PS3 version which adds two new characters to the roster and quite a bit more stuff to the world. It's still easily the best JRPG on the system, and top 3 JRPG's of the last gen console's at least. Wonderful game that needs to be played by all fans of JRPG's. Expand
  4. Nov 6, 2013
    The game is huge very artistic even though the effects is not that stunning but the HD anime textures and vibrant environment is incredible and is not seen often in most console RPG's it's very worth your time and it has a very high replayability since there are so many miss-able content in this game. The battle are a bit slow during the start but as your character grows in terms of skills and artes learned, doing combos on your enemies is very flashy and satisfying. Expand
  5. Oct 29, 2013
    It was a true pleasure to experience this one, story and battle system are a amazing. The Characters are likable, but the main character stands out. This is an instant classic and it is deserving of a sequel. The side-quests were not really a strength and I felt they were scarce, but this really is another masterpiece and should not be missed by true RPG gamers.
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    Beautiful visuals, but I just couldn't get into this game. Played a good amount of hours, but it was more of a chore than fun to play. Plot was pretty slow and boring. And the constant enemy encounters really got on my nerves.
  7. Aug 13, 2013
    I have a lot of history with JRPGs, and I hadn't played one in a year or two so I decided to throw this one on my game que for gamefly and try it out. I start playing it and it resembles what most JRPGs are like for the first 8 hours or so. Out of no where the game runs into this terrible problem of character development where they are repeatedly saying the same things over and over again and it's doing nothing for you in character development, the team takes on somewhere between 8-15 jobs that are all of their "main missions" and slowly learn information and repeat repeat repeat. It gets very tiresome to sit through dialogue while the main character says, "choose for yourself" to the other character over and over again. It feels like the characters want to split up but always decide last minute to stay. You expect it... and it got in my head and made me really really annoyed with the game.. I think there must have been some sort of translation issue. Expand
  8. Aug 6, 2013
    Not bad.Story is standart, graphics looks good. But combat and character development is little boring. And totally horrible thing is, if you want see all things in game, you cant play without guide. 50% game is missable. I know, lot a JRPG have missable things, but here, hmm..crazy.I hate use guides, and dont want play same game 4 or 6 times for see everything..NO!
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    Amazing! This game is one of favorites. Even with it's somewhat cliche storyline it is still one of the best JRPGs out due to having some of the best character development I have ever seen. With some great dialog that is pretty funny. The combat is fun an keeps you involved and quite brutal. There are many bosses that will rip you to shreds. I feel like many games don't do this and for that they suffer. The soundtrack is great and the environment is astounding. Graphics are nice and fit. I could on and on about this game, but I'll stop here so you can go and buy it. 10/10 Expand
  10. Jul 22, 2013
    Sweeter than honey. This game is the best Jrpg on the 360 by far. The game is just soooo pretty to look at. The characters are likeable (which is getting harder to find with jrpgs). I understand that this game has some clichés but to me it felt like a sweet throwback. This game puts its twist on the conventions. I like this game so much because it is fun continuously. That's really all I need in a game. Expand
  11. Jun 6, 2013
    Vesperia feels like a great game that made a lot of mistakes. It's a seven, but just barely. To start with the bad, the plot is one of the worst I've ever played. It is disconjointed and I, as a player, don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Several times you will show up in a city/dungeon, complete it, and then find that the person/thing you went there to find had already gone or escaped. There isn't a villain that I feel like I have an agenda against and the end game is full of pointless plot-twists that don't really mean anything. The game is also very long, which isn't bad, but it gets boring when the plot isn't interesting.
    There is still a lot of good, however. The characters are interesting and are easy to get connected to, even if they are cliche and unoriginal. The fight engine is also fantastic. There are a lot of the same battles, but they do well to stay fun and interesting. Also, you feel like you really progress throughout the game and get stronger. The characters grow as you do and that really helps the game. All in all, a very good game that is probably worth buying if you feel like putting the effort into it.
  12. May 30, 2013
    Tales of Vesperia is all around OK. The combat system is ok. The story is ok. The characters are ok. And the style of the graphics is..well, pretty good. I'll skip the combat system as it's not why i play these games and not why you should be playing them either.

The story progresses slowly. So slowly and without a leading cause that I found myself forgetting what I was doing. It's your
    typical "HIGH SCHOOL KIDS SAVE THE WORLD" JRPG and that is fine if only because it is to be expected. I won't get into the specifics other than that if you watched fox news you'd think it's hippie-left wing-tree huger propaganda. What my biggest complaint about the story is the big evil bad guy only shows face in the later portion of the game. He just comes on the scene and goes "IM GONNA DESTROY THE WORLD! TEENAGERS BE DAMNED!" It's very lackluster. No build up. No real desire to defeat him. I just found myself going through the motions and not giving a damn and the whole reason I play these games is to so I can give a damn. Damn not given.

The characters! The main character is a beautiful dark haired girl with a sexy mans voice-kinda like Dr.Girlfriend from "The Venture Bros." Some people may say this character is a guy but "Yuri" is such an androgynous name that I feel perfectly justified in assuming he's a she. This Yuri believes that the law is not always right and breaking the law is not always wrong. He's rebellious wise ass. If he didn't look like a girl (and a pretty one at that) I may just taken him seriously. There is a book smart princess who is obliviously naive as she was sheltered her whole life. There's a child prodigy mage that is kinda like a female version of Sheldon Cooper from 'The Big Bang Theory." However she is not the star of the show and her and complaining isn't funny it's just... and complaining. Then there is a (14 year old?) boy with a gigantic sword that is street smart but at the same time is kind of a pansy. How does one get street smart without in the process growing balls? I do not know the answer to this question but he isn't very likable either. The complaint with the characters in this game is that they are just ok. I don't care about them and I don't care about what they are doing. In other words I am not giving a damn.

I admit, I didn't finish the game. I really only know of the big bad boss because I looked up the plot summary after ten hours and realizing I'd rather not play the game anymore. I do give it a seven out of ten though because I know there is a crowd that aches for this stuff. The type of quirky that only the Japanese know how to do. And in reality it's not that bad of a game. I like JRPS. Suikoden III was one of my favorite games of all time but I just couldn't get into this one.
  13. Apr 25, 2013
    Very fun game, definitely worth buying. Combat is very well done AI is spot on. only problem is some cut scenes include voices but most of them don't. Very long game as well, story is quite confusing as they explain to you what everything in the world is only once and expect you to know it by heart from then on.
  14. Feb 26, 2013
    Tales of Vesperia fells like a beta version of something it wanted to be. Besides Yuri and maybe raven every other character is annoying and not fun to play. The story ist 0815 JRPG and does not offer anything special. It is not a bad game, fight system is still fun to play but i have expecteed more.
  15. Feb 14, 2013
    Tales of Vesperia is the best Japanese Role Playing Game on the current generation of consoles. Full Review Here http://alloyseven.com/articles/game/item/62-tales-of-vesperia-review
  16. Oct 13, 2012
    This is the best game since the SNES. Amazing, fast paced combat both easy to learn and rewarding/challenging to master. Beautiful graphics. A surprisingly deep story and well designed characters for a JRPG. Great music, plenty of funny skits that you expect from Tales games, hundreds of hours of play. I literally have nothing bad to say about this game, and it is my second favourite game of all time after Final Fantasy VI. Expand
  17. Jul 16, 2012
    Tales of Vesperia is perhaps one of the best RPGs of the current gen up to date and certainly one of teh best Tales games. The game in overall is a mechanically overhauled version of Tales of Abyss, with beautiful anime-style graphics, lots of contents, bits of changes in combat system, a huge plot that is good enough to grasp your attention, a nice cast, and more importantly, very deep and fun sidequests to keep you playing for hours and hours. It's not as big as Tales of Abyss, but is certainly the RPG of this gen with the largest content even almost four years after its release. Expand
  18. May 11, 2012
    Tales of Vesperia is a diamond in the barren wasteland that is the 360 JRPG library. It has a lovely look, great voice acting and extremly fun gameplay. It's a long grind to complete but well worth it. I'd recommend this game to anyone looking for a challenge without sacrificing quality.
  19. Jan 6, 2012
    This game is great. I played for a whole week trying to finish the game, as the addictive battle system drew me in. It's too bad it did not include audio for every character in the game, but it is still an excellent title.
  20. Dec 11, 2011
    The best JRPG on the 360. It has all the attributes of a 90's JRPG which is missing from other games in this generation. If you love the early Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger etc, you will love this too.
  21. Nov 30, 2011
    This was the last Great JRPG on the HD generation of consoles, too bad critics were blind at the time and liked to hate on JRPGS...now they all are saying they wanted them back...well their faulkt for neatpicking
    Tales of Vesperia is a great RPG whit nice characters and storyteling, fast paced battle system, a huge world to explore....man I wish there was more games like those!!
  22. Nov 26, 2011
    Probably the best JRPG I've ever played. The story is fairly good although a little generic. I like the story because of the major thing on the corruption of the government. The battles are fun and boss battles are amazing. In the third chapter of the game I couldn't wait to find my next boss battle because I knew how amazing they were going to be. Graphics are beautiful. The enviroments are just amazing. The characters are really good too. I know with most JRPGs there is normally a few good characters and then one that is anoying as **** but that wasn't the case with this game. I didn't just like the characters, I felt something for them. Like I actually cared about the characters. Few games have made me do that and it seems to always be JRPGs like these. Theres a lot to do. The story took me around 50+ hours and there is easily 100+ hours if your a completionist like myself. I definitely reccomend this to anyone who is a fan of the series or a fan of JRPGs. Hand down the best JRPG I have ever played. Expand
  23. Nov 26, 2011
    Surprisingly well put together little JPRG. I like the voice acting, as well as the unusually dark tone in the game. Yuri Lowell is easily a likeable and understandable protag. Sure it's got its usual JPRG flair, it's still balanced enough to have westerners like myself enjoy it. What's really surprising is the chock full of stuff to do all crammed on a single disc. I was expecting Tales to be like the usual JRPG titles, 3 or 4 discs, most of it cutscene fluff. But, oddly enough, minimal in that department yet enjoyable to experience nontheless. Expand
  24. Sep 10, 2011
    Questo titolo ha tutto quello che cercate da un gioco di ruolo giapponese.
    A partire dalla caratterizzazione dei personaggi, veramente ottima. Se pensate che la caratterizzazione di un animale nei confronti di un umano sia insignificante, in questo gioco dovrete ricredervi in quanto Repeede ( il cane della squadra ) è un vero e proprio personaggio ottimamente caratterizzato.

Anche la trama si attesta su ottimi livelli. Vi ritroverete a perseguire l'obbiettivo del protagonista, apparentemente senza significato, per poi arrivare a dover salvare il mondo.
  25. Aug 24, 2011
    As my first experience with the Tales franchise, this game was fantastic. A compelling story, with a fantastic cast of characters, plus a compelling battle mechanic, immeasurable depth, tons of side quests, a great soundtrack, strong voice acting, and a great art style. This game will last you a very long time; I spent over 80 hours on my first playthrough, and I am looking forward to playing it again. If that isn't worth $25, I don't know what is. Expand
  26. Aug 10, 2011
    This game is a good time, the player count is actually 4 players, so you can get a few friends together and supply a beatdown for the ages. The characters can be insanely annoying, but then again, there's always an annoying character in anime shows. I don't like the fact that there's only one person that can move around, especially if you have 4 people waiting for the battles. It's a lot of fun, though, and the graphics are cool, so it deserves a 9 in my books, very few flaws that aren't even a big deal. Expand
  27. Jun 22, 2011
    Several design flaws hold this game back. The producers seem to think that turning a twenty hour game into a forty hour game by doubling the encounter rates is a good thing. This is confusing since the game offers a replay mode which lets you play agian after beating the game. The game robs the player of the only main healer towards the end of the game, and forces you to fight bosses without a healer class. The friendly AI doesn't seem to know what to do in battle half the time. Flying enemies are a giant pain since attacking them with normal characters is all but impossible. Bosses are H.A.R.D.! The best part of the game is the story, and characters within it. The story has to do with pollution, and the ethical dilemma whether or not you should kill someone who may unintentially kill others. The characters consist of an old spy, a main character who breaks the law in order to do good, an opposing character who wants the law followed regardless of the consequences, a niave person who is learning about the world, a kid who must find some self confidence in order to save the day, and a dog who smokes a pipe. The combat is good and not button mashy at all but the game takes forever trying to lean the player into the mechanics of combat. It won't be until twenty hours into the game that the game is done teaching you how to play it. Overall if you see it for under twenty dollars you might want to pick it up. If you see the game before it in the series "Tales of Symphonia" then grab that instead. Expand
  28. May 20, 2011
    Tales of Vesperia is everything a proper RPG should be. Great characters that you will warm to, brilliant over-the-top story, lots of side quests, customisation, character upgrades and progression, and charmfull humour.

I've been waiting a long time to play a decent RPG on the 360. (and no Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls are NOT RPG's) While Tales of Vesperia falls slightly short of the
    dizzy heights of FF7 and FFX, its not far off, and I compare it to the likes of Dark Chronicle/Dark Cloud 2, which was another brilliant cell-shaded RPG. Its an excellent game that will take you in with its awe, and you will easily find yourself putting 100+ hours in. Expand
  29. Nov 30, 2010
    A wonderful game. Great soundtrack, captivating story and characters well developed. The gameplay is quite engaging. I would like to see Tales of Grace on the Xbox too, or maybe a continuation of Tales of Vesperia.
  30. Oct 4, 2010
    Great, great game. The battle system is the best in the Tales series thus far, real time fighting is always a pleasant addition to RPGs. The story will make it difficult to stop playing the game at points. But what really made me love this game were the characters. The characters you are able to play as are just very likable, meld very well together, and have excellent development. As you progress through the game you realize just how much they care for each other, and how much you care for them. The song that plays in the intro to the game is very addicting, and every time I start it up I can't bring myself to skip it. I have played many games, yet this is the first one I have ever loved so much to write a review for. Play this game, I can guarantee you'll enjoy yourself. Expand
  31. Aug 27, 2010
    If you enjoy male and female characters who look the same, idiotic dialogue written in crayon by fourth-graders ("Prepare to taste my steel!"), absolutely ridiculous battles consisting of attack-attack-attack-block and the occasional heal, and horribly linear level design, then have I got a game for you. It's called "Tales of Vesperia," and even though it seems like a bad clone of FF7, it's really...hey, now that I mention it...

Yes, FF7 was over-rated too. It would be nice if game companies realized this and started doing something original.
  32. Aug 27, 2010

1. Incredibly satisfying. [Oct 2008, p.82]
  2. The graphics are stunning, the characters are interesting and the game is simply really fun to play.
    Tales of Vesperia is a strong anime-style Japanese RPG with a wide-ranging story, compelling characters and an intense real-time battle system that keeps you on your toes.