The Darkness II Xbox 360

7.5

1. Feb 26, 2012
    Better than I expected. The game brings some interesting mechanics with the demon arms. It is quite amusing to pick a car door up as a shield and then hurl it at an enemy slicing him in half. The story is pretty interesting as well and having not played the first Darkness, the Darkness 2 makes we want to go back and check out the first game. There is also a leveling system that is quiteBetter than I expected. The game brings some interesting mechanics with the demon arms. It is quite amusing to pick a car door up as a shield and then hurl it at an enemy slicing him in half. The story is pretty interesting as well and having not played the first Darkness, the Darkness 2 makes we want to go back and check out the first game. There is also a leveling system that is quite deep and helps make combat more interesting. The game also rewards for killing enemies beyond the simple point and shoot mechanics. However I found myself getting bored after the novelty wore off and the story was the only thing keeping interested in the game. But overall a decent shooter! Collapse
  2. Feb 18, 2012
    I loved the original game. The Darkness 2 changes it's graphics, which isn't bad even, I liked it. But it seemed to me that it was just a classic arcade shootout game. The story is good, but nowhere as good as in the first one. There are no tear jerking scenes as in the first one and the overall feeling just doesn't quite fit. It's a very predictable game and the story ends in a scene thatI loved the original game. The Darkness 2 changes it's graphics, which isn't bad even, I liked it. But it seemed to me that it was just a classic arcade shootout game. The story is good, but nowhere as good as in the first one. There are no tear jerking scenes as in the first one and the overall feeling just doesn't quite fit. It's a very predictable game and the story ends in a scene that raised the only emotion I felt while playing this game, anger. What a stupid ending. It turns into something completely different than I expected. But if I don't count the ending, it provided some fun and tricks played on your mind, it's a good game. Expand
  3. May 9, 2012
    A very interesting sequel, considering how dark the 1st one was. However, I think they made a mistake with the comic style. I loved how realistic and immersive the original was, and how awesome you felt when you would unleash the darkness in a nightclub, or a factory. Now it just seems you are overpowered, on a linear path, ripping to pieces mobsters. The story however, is perfect. TheA very interesting sequel, considering how dark the 1st one was. However, I think they made a mistake with the comic style. I loved how realistic and immersive the original was, and how awesome you felt when you would unleash the darkness in a nightclub, or a factory. Now it just seems you are overpowered, on a linear path, ripping to pieces mobsters. The story however, is perfect. The characters and Jackie himself keep the game flowing, which build up towards an epic finale. However, it is a bit on the short side, and can easily be completed within a day. Overall, it is a good sequel, despite the mistake of a linear comic take. Fun, violent, and immersive. 7/10 Expand
  4. Feb 8, 2012
    Great story, great gameplay, great co-op, great fun. The downfall of this game is the story is 5-7 hours long. A single player based game should not be 5 hours... no matter what. There is no excuse and this is the biggest flaw with the game. Very disappointing. Makes you wonder if your 60 dollars was worth it.
  5. Nov 25, 2012
    Surprisingly good shooter with a twist! I am not a big fan of FPS, but The Darkness definitely is one of the more interesting one around, with a good story, unique mechanics albeit a relatively short campaign. It's violent and gory, with a great art style evoking its graphic novel roots.
  6. Jun 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For those who have played the first game it was sort of a free roaming through places and sort of quest like, in the darkness 2 you are basically put into a linear shooter. The fun bits is how upgraded the darkness powers becomes over the first game. The story is somewhat interesting, the graphics are a bit cell shaded like borderlands it just to make it look like a comic rather than a glorified graphic buffer. I think with searching for the hidden items the game is about 6-8 hours long of course the co-op might take you even more hours to complete. The game also has some fun and useful darkness powers. It was worth the $7.99 that i payed on it although there are some annoyances in the game, the game itself has some value if you prefer to do the additional stuff that the game provides. Expand
  7. Apr 3, 2012
    Funky Cold Medina! Great soundtrack to be honest. Very fun and interesting game but the story was a little cliche at times. I enjoyed the overall experience but the cell shaded graphics didn't fit the genre. http://liquidgamer.podbean.com/
  8. Jul 4, 2012
    The darkness 2 is a linear action packed corridor shooter filled with action and really nothing more. The action is luckily quite good. What makes the combat stand out from other fps is the demon arms that is actually really useful not to mention fun to use. In the end though the game is still an about 10 hour long corridor shooter with a gimmick and nothing more. But as long as you startThe darkness 2 is a linear action packed corridor shooter filled with action and really nothing more. The action is luckily quite good. What makes the combat stand out from other fps is the demon arms that is actually really useful not to mention fun to use. In the end though the game is still an about 10 hour long corridor shooter with a gimmick and nothing more. But as long as you start the game expecting just that you are probably not going to be disappointed. + Presentation, demon arms, characters, boss fights. - story, linear Expand
  9. Oct 13, 2012
    I really liked the first one (it was much deeper than I suspected). This one, however, is missing a lot of what made the first game stand out. D2 takes the run and gun approach and the story takes a back seat this time around. Props to the improved controls but overall the campaign was pretty short and forgettable. Not $60 worth of game by a long shot.
  10. Sep 22, 2013
    4 armed combat has never been more fun. Along with a decent story this game is extremely fun and fresh. The story may be linear and short, but the experience is sweet and joyous I do wish that the combat tree was worked on more as the potential is really there and the game might feel repetitive after a while despite being short. However I do recommend this at a great discount price.
  11. Jun 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

While The Darkness II is in no way a complete failure or broken, it does not live up to its predecessor's name, and in that case may be seen as a failure to improve. It also does not live up to the mystique and graphical exploits of the comic series, or any other works generally produced in its stead. While this is a shame, it is true.

Well, with that not-so-bright note on my mind, allow me to continue on to the final portion of this review, in order to bring you the most generous help in deciding whether or not to purchase this game. Here's the Game Informer version of the scale:

Concept: Creating a living, breathing sequel to The Darkness, as well as an interesting moral quest for revenge and adventuring through the exploits of a saddened killer and mafia boss.

Graphics: While the graphics are a step in a new direction from the previous game, and the cutscenes are generally rendered pretty well, the graphics are neither anything special nor new- and thus lack any real visual flair, instead sinking back into the anonymous reach of gaming space.

Sound: The sounds aren't anything to marvel at, and the compositions are nothing special, however- it is always satisfying to hear the deranged ways your enemies meet their ends, as well as the occasional gripping and chilling tunes haunting the world of The Darkness II.

Playability: The game suffers from some major flaws, but nothing truly potentially game-breaking aside from the occasional console glitch that is pretty much unpreventable.

Entertainment: While entertaining for a few hours to begin with, the gameplay quickly becomes stale and overused, especially after dispatching hordes of the same enemies and mulling through too many uninteresting levels repetitively for five hours on end.

Replay Value: Low

While my final score for the game would by a 6.75, which is by no means great, I am sure there are a few people out there who might enjoy this game, and hopefully this review will help you, regardless of what choices you may make on a purchase or non-purchase of it. Hopefully this has been helpful.

Written 2012
  12. Jul 21, 2014
    Aside for a few flaws, it makes a really good game.
    It is somewhat innovative when it comes to game-play - and the story and cut scenes are enjoyable and leaves you thinking.
    Aside for a few flaws, it makes a really good game.

However, it has a few glitches such as getting completely stuck in tight spaces. Graphically, it looks like Borderlands 1 - but less refined and more buggy. It is also somewhat grindy, and even though the game has a lot of options - it becomes somewhat boring though relived by the story.
  13. Feb 26, 2012

1. Apr 24, 2012
    An average shooter wrapped in an entertaining story.
  2. Apr 11, 2012
    I haven't played a game to completion twice in a single sitting since Portal 2, which should roughly hint at the quality of experience that awaits: It's short and sweet, with a decent cooperative multiplayer side-story for added value. And by "sweet," I mean you can hang a thug upside-down and rip their intestines out through their ass.
  3. Games Master UK
    Mar 13, 2012
    Drastically improved combat means entry two is far from the disappointment many predicted. [Apr 2012, p.70]